Speaker 1: Ever noticed how some of the most legendary movies, TV shows, and songs were never supposed to work.
Speaker 2: Box office flops on paper, network rejects, songs the artists didn't even want to record.
Speaker 1: And yet boom instant classic cultural obsession songs that have played everywhere NonStop for decades.
Speaker 2: We dig into the projects that were supposed to flop and accidentally became icons.
Speaker 1: Bad ideas, bad timing, somehow perfect results.
Speaker 2: This is the accidental legends, proving that failure is just a success that showed up late. Well, Matt, if you had one wish, what would it be?
Speaker 1: Wooh, I don't know. I wish I had. I wish I was ready for all the things that I wish I was ready for.
Speaker 2: Is that kind of like you wish you had a dime for every dime you had?
Speaker 1: I wish I was ready for all the things I think I need to be ready for, But I'm not.
Speaker 2: That's really deep.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking a lot about just the future and the everything that's happening, and I feel exceedingly unprepared for that. So I've just been thinking about all the things that I need to do, and I just wish all of those things were already done.
Speaker 2: Well, that's much deeper than my response. I'm just thinking at my age, I wish my back would stop filing complaints every morning. And here you are getting all philosophical.
Speaker 1: Sorry you asked.
Speaker 2: That's okay. Well, today we're going to talk about the movie Big.
Speaker 1: Big, So big big huge.
Speaker 2: I am big big, But before big was a big deal, it was well small, a wish on a carnival machine, a kid sized problem, and suddenly a grown man in a suit is playing with toys and panicking about adulthood. This is the story of how something that started little somehow became huge, A movie that sounds like it should have been shut down in a conference room and instead became one of the most emotionally bulletproof films of the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Eight is one of those movies where if you described the plot out loud, hr slowly backs out of the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're going to talk about why on paper this thing is a nightmare. And that's not hindsight, that's exactly how executives felt at the time. So let's dig in. The movie Big was originally the idea of screenwriters Gary Ross, who would later write screenplays for Dave Pleasantville and The Hunger Games, and also Anne Spielberg. Yes, that's Spielberg. She's also known for writing on some of Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories TV series, and as an uncredited writer for Small Soldiers That was a what if we did a movie that's toy story and child's play mixed together, basically creepy. The script for Big was developed under very interesting circumstances. It was originally going to be a Steven Spielberg project and they were going to have Spielberg direct it, and get this, they were going to cast Harrison Ford to star as Josh Baskin.
Speaker 1: This is wild to me because Harrison Ford does not read as wide eyed child discovering a trend ampline. There is nothing childlike or even really all that joyful about Harrison Ford to.
Speaker 2: Me, Hey kid, I'm Big. I don't know why can you? I gotta get out of here. But unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for the legacy of this film, Steven Spielberg wanted to spend more time at home with his family after the birth of his son, so he ended up dropping out and Harrison Ford dropped out. So this probably quietly saved the movie in the long run. It eventually went to James Brooks as the producer. He brought the project to Penny Marshall, who eventually directed the film with Tom Hanks. And we'll talk about both of them in a little bit.
Speaker 1: And that's quite the audacious statement. Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg dropped out of the movie and that probably saved it. What a statement.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, they're leaving the movie. That's okay, we're gonna make a killer film anyway.
Speaker 1: I'll show you it's gonna be awesome. And it did.
Speaker 2: It turned out that way. But why was Big expected to fail in the first place. It was considered a high concept, calm with a little bit of a problematic premise. On paper, Big sounds like a movie executives would immediately get nervous about. Let's not dance around it. Big is about a twelve year old in a thirty year old body who.
Speaker 1: Dates an adult woman. Do you mean sleepover? Well, yeah, okay, but I get to be on top.
Speaker 2: Boom boom, boom boom. Every studio executive just felt like their soul was leaving their body.
Speaker 1: This isn't prudishness. This is math, legal math.
Speaker 2: The executives literally felt uneasy about it even in the eighties, So I mean we're talking even before the cameras rolled. You could just feel the tension in the boardroom. Some of their additional concerns and worries about it were, is the audience going to feel uncomfortable about this? Is the tone of the film going to be too confusing? Is it a family movie? Is it an adult comedy? So the story walks this raise or thin line between whimsical fantasy and accidental creepiness. One wrong joke, one poorly scene in the entire movie, it would just collapse under the controversy. More than one executive reportedly summed up the fear of this film project like this. They said, this is a comedy nobody knows how to market or defend, which.
Speaker 1: Is the most terrifying sentence in Hollywood. That alone is often enough to kill project.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a minute about the tonal whiplash of this and the risks involved. Big didn't really fit in or slot into a neat box for Hollywood. For the executives, it wasn't really a kids movie. It's not a teen movie. It's not a raunchy adult comedy, and it's not really a pure fantasy film, and studios hate this. You know what Hollywood prefers. They prefer clear audience targets, clean elevator pitches, marketing strategies that fit on a post it. But Big was essentially a coming of age movie for adults about childhood with romance.
Speaker 1: That's not an elevator pitch. That's an all in bet. That kind of tonal ambiguity usually screams development nightmare. Executives worry audiences won't know how to feel, or worse, won't know whether they're allowed to laugh. Historically, movies that try to be emotionally sincere and funny and fantastical they tend to scare studios more than outright weird ones do.
Speaker 2: In addition to the tonal risks, we need to talk about Tom Hanks a little bit.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You got to keep in mind, everybody, you got to put your nineteen eighty eight hat on. Tom Hanks was not a billable star yet. It's easy to forget this now, but in nineteen eighty eight, Tom Hanks was not quote Tom Hanks yet. It's funny. Matt my notes actually put a trademark when I said it was not Tom Hanks, like he's so popular and so big of a deal. Now he's got his own trademark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was no saving Private Ryan in nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: No, at this point, all he'd really done was well, Bosom Buddies, which I love the show. Did you ever watch Bosom Buddies? I never watched Bosom Buddies. I thought it was hilarious. I thought Tom Hanks Peter Scillari were hilarious. Plus the show also had Donna Dixon in it, and what's wrong there?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 2: And because of Bosom Buddies, that's why we went to go see Splash and it was a hit. But it was a comedy, maybe a little silly romantic comedy, but it did well. Right after that, he did do a raunchia adult comedy called Bachelor Party.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing I was thinking about this earlier. Splash was one of my favorites. I loved Daryl Hannah. I loved the whole you know, Mermaid in New York and all of the things happening, all the crazy zaniness. That was fun to me. I didn't see Bosom Buddies I'm gonna tell you, I don't think I ever saw Bachelor Party. I don't know that I ever watched it.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty eight was like, I was the right age for Bachelor Party or Revenge of the Nerds, any of those.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing Revenge of the Nerds. I don't remember seeing Bachelor Party. I don't remember seeing Fraternity Vacation. Revenge of the Nerds, I remember that.
Speaker 2: Was the headliner. That was the A level. Bachelor Party is going to be more like the B level.
Speaker 1: Well, and to be honest, I mean these were the movies that I watched. If I was watching them, I watched them on the sly. I don't remember a ton of any anything about them.
Speaker 2: Interesting little note is that he actually did Bachelor Party first and then did Splash. But when the executive started watching Splash, you know, watching the dailies and getting an early screening, they knew they had something with Splash, and so they correctly withheld Bachelor Party until afterwards because they knew Splash was going to put Tom Hanks in the stratosphere, and they said, then we can put Bachelor Party out. They knew that was going to be sort of a smaller silly comedy, but they figured they could actually get more money out of the ticket sales if they released it after Splash. Makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they create the platform that they try to boost up the movie on. That makes absolute sense. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He also did a movie called The Money Pit with Shelley Long and my family. We love Diane Chambers in the TV show Cheers, and so there was that. That's about all I can say about that movie.
Speaker 1: It was eh, I loved The Money Pit. I didn't like The Money Pit as much as I love Splash. I am married to someone who thinks The Money Pit is the funniest movie in the world. When she was a young lady and flipping loves a money Pit and just remembers going to the theater and laughing through the whole thing.
Speaker 2: So so far, his career positioned him as a goofy comic actor. He not a dramatic lead and definitely not a romantic lead, so the studio concerns were very real. Could he carry the emotional weight of this film? Could audiences believe him as a child without finding him annoying? What is broad comedy undercut sincerity?
Speaker 1: How do you talk about that? A little bit? What do you mean by that? Which question would his broad comedy undercut sincerity?
Speaker 2: Well, so, okay, you didn't watch Bosom Buddies. Bosom Buddies was your typical sitcom. So the comedy was loud, you know, there was no hinting or subtlety. It was we're funny. Look at how funny we are? Okay, and Splash was beween him and John Candy. It was a comedy whereas Big, you know, Big had to be tamed down a little bit. There was humor, but it was more focusing on this kid who was trapped in an adult body trying to figure things out. And so they were worried that Tom Hanks would be a little two out there and not reserved to play a role that required more drama.
Speaker 1: Hmm, okay, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: You know, he, like I said, he'd never anchored a prestige hit. You know, he hadn't proven that he could break your heart. He only proved so far that he could fall through floors and yell a lot facts. But in hindsight, Big looks like density, I mean, destiny.
Speaker 1: Let's see what you did there, thank you.
Speaker 2: At the time, it looked like a gamble though, So here we go, Matt. Other actors considered for the adult Josh Baskin, Right now, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna read the names, and you just honestly tell me yes or no.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: John Travolta I put.
Speaker 1: Down maybe, Yeah, he gets a no from me.
Speaker 2: No for you, Kevin Costner, Steve Gutenberg, Yes, I agree, Warren Baty, Hell no. Dennis Quaid maybe that's what I put down. I said maybe, but he was really too old. He was thirty four in eighty eight. But I did like his charm, Like Interspace was one of my dreamscape. Those are two kind of favorites of mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think of him. Him and Kostner back then were about, you know, baseball movies and westerns. That's kind of I think of them the same way.
Speaker 2: I can see Steve Gutenberg as a really top contender. I mean I always loved him in the Police Academy movies and what was that other short circuit. You know, he had that charisma of an adult kind of being.
Speaker 1: More youthful when he was funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the right kind of funny for a movie like Big for sure. How about Jeff Bridges. No, I think he could totally have done it.
Speaker 1: I think he's talented enough to have pulled it off. But why why do you need him to be talented enough to pull it off?
Speaker 2: I know your answer to the next one, Sean Penn new way, you're saying it like speccoli, But I'm thinking by then he's already doing like Bad Boys and Colors and some of these other dramatic films. I think he would take it way too seriously.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Spaccoli, he could have tapped into some of that for Big.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm still saying no. But to me, in my mind, Hanks is the perfect pick for this, There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: Well, the next name I'm gonna read you was who they actually seriously considered to be cast as the adult Josh. Are you ready for this?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Robert de Niro what yep? Only he wanted six million dollars to do it. They were ready, I mean they were ready to rewrite the Josh character as a street smart, meaner kid. Can you imagine in a mirror universe where Big was a dark character drama directed by Martin Scorsese, Josh Baskin realizes adulthood is a trap and beats Zoltar with a tire iron. You think you can make me big and get away with it? You I ought of you. No Big Rated R starts Friday as your local theaters. No, please know, Thank goodness we got Tom Hanks. Let's go back and talk about the concept of the film. Hollywood already had trust issues with this genre, and it caused the studios to have their own degree of trauma from the history of these fantasy comedy hybrids. You know, like for every Freaky Friday, there's eighteen Again.
Speaker 1: Like for every all of Me, there's vice versa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, body swap movies were mostly seen as disposable gimmicks, the latest fad.
Speaker 1: The fear wasn't that big would be bad, It was that it would be forgettable. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The studio graveyard was full of movies involving magical realism. You had a do Krull, Return to Oz. None of those did very well, although I will argue to my grave that I think Krull is a great movie.
Speaker 1: I love Kraull. Okay, not on my Bingo car today. Any sentence involving Xanadu, Kroll and Return to.
Speaker 2: Oz wish fulfillment fantasies like Labyrinth. Despite becoming a beloved fantasy classic, the film was not a box office hit. It was a disappointment upon its release. So here's what Big does. That's quietly radical. One rule, A wish comes true. No exposition dumps, no scientists, no metaphysical explanations, no ticking clock. It's the Zoltar machine. He grants the wish, he literally disappears. That's it. The fantasy exists to serve the emotion, not the logic. You know, the movie never pauses to explain itself because Josh doesn't understand it either. That's important. That's key. When you watch later films, you know, like Freaky Friday two thousand and three that suffered from a heavy first act setup. You have scenes that are establishing the mother daughter conflict, you know, their inability to understand each other, YadA YadA, and then of course the high stakes, high stress of the impending wedding. It just it takes too long. The interesting thing about Big, I always like is the simplicity of it. You know, he becomes Big, he goes out in the adult world, and there's no pressure or worry. We as an audience. We're not worried about him altering the timeline or messing anything up. It's just happening in real time, in real life, and the only thing he's wanting to do is to figure out how to go back to being a kid. And there's not even any rules to worry about there. There there's no deadline of if you can't find this machine by twelve o'clock at the end of the month. It's just I gotta find the machine, and once I do, then supposedly I can make a wish. And they don't even promise that. I mean, I remember, he was just like, I think that's.
Speaker 1: What I should do.
Speaker 2: Big feels like a fairy tale, you know, it's it's slightly mysterious, it's emotionally intuitive. Later films feel more like a sitcom premise stretched into ninety minutes. That's all I'm saying that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree with that. Big.
Speaker 2: It did not just smoothly glide into production. Originally Fox had the rights to develop this picture, and they passed because they had worries about the budget and they weren't certain about the creative direction of this. They didn't understand is it a kid's movie?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: As an adult. What's the fantasy? They didn't understand it. But then comes Penny Marshall. She personally fought to move this to Columbia Pictures. And let's talk about Penny Marshall for a minute. Hilarious and Laverne and Shirley, right, yeah, absolutely. But as far as directing, well, she was pretty new. On top of that, there was the existing sexism aspect in the industry in the nineteen.
Speaker 1: Eighty That is a shocking statement.
Speaker 2: Shocking, I tell you, shocking. No, she was faced with the prevailing and misguided belief that women could not handle the pressure or management of large budget studio films. Of course we know this is I mean, later on we're going to get some amazing movies from the likes of Patty Jenkins, who did Monster and Wonder Woman. Mm hmmm, Sophia Coppola Lost in Translation with Bill Murray, okay, and of course Catherine Bigelow who did The hurt Locker and then another eighties film, Near Dark Love The hurt Locker. Yeah, great stuff.
Speaker 1: Was Penny Marshall the trailblazer on female directors?
Speaker 2: Well, she's certainly not the first female director, but she is widely recognized as the first woman to direct a film that grossed over one hundred million at the US box office.
Speaker 1: Okay, so she was the one that did it big. You see what I did there? Oh boy, Hey, that wasn't even on purpose.
Speaker 2: Her previous directorial experience was only one movie, Jumping Jack Flash with Whoopi Goldberg, and that had production troubles. It got mixed reviews. Studio executives were hesitant to trust her with another major project. The script went through multiple tonal drafts. Some of the earlier versions leaned more on the sexual aspects and humor. Others went broader and more slapstick in nature. Several drafts tried and failed to clarify the fantasy refer back to when we were talking about setting up too many rules. But the movie survived largely because Penny Marshall believed deeply in it. Her entire approach was, if we stopped caring about Josh, the movie dies. That's it. That's the thesis, and all the key creatives insisted on emotional grounding.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting concept. If we stopped caring about Josh, the movie dies, it's not just a concept. It becomes the organizing factor. Of everything that they're doing. I really really like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, normally, this kind of turbulence, it's basically a death sentence. I mean it's it's killed more than one project. They even considered that maybe they should just release this film direct to video.
Speaker 1: Wow, back then, that's a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I remember renting direct to video movies. They were always sort of the b C level, low budget just considering how successful Big was, how well regarded it is that at one point before they started shooting, they said, well, I mean, we could at least make it a VHS film. That's insane.
Speaker 1: That's crazy because I didn't even think that was a thing until I didn't What I mean is, I didn't even hear about that until it was a direct to DVD, So whenever DVD came out, I didn't realize they did direct to video as early as nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean, we could have a whole episode on the beginnings of VHS, your family video stores and the rush to get movies out there for people to rent. It gave low budget studios an opportunity to get their films out. They couldn't get it to the theaters, they weren't connected to the big studios. There were tons horror movies come to mind a lot. To me, there was all genres that were doing this, But to me, it seemed like there was just countless number of horror films that were just direct to VHS, just fill those shelves. You also had marketing nightmares. This is where the real panic sets in. How do you sell this thing? The trailers could not spoil the twist. The posters had to explain the premise instantly. The studios were worried. They were worried parents.
Speaker 1: Might avoid it.
Speaker 2: They were worried adults might think it's childish. They were worried teens might think it's uncool. Like we kept saying, marketing departments hate ambiguity, and Big was ambiguity incarnate.
Speaker 1: Trying to find out what a teenager thinks is cool. As a marketing department of adults, what that's horrifying.
Speaker 2: You know, this reminds me of that scene in Big when he's sitting in that room with all the different executives or toy creators and they're trying to pitch the new toy, and one of the guys creates a transformer that transforms into a building, and Josh is just he's just sitting over their board and the big boss, Robert Leoja, he says, what's wrong Josh? He's like, I don't get it. And the marketers and the they're like, what do you mean you don't get our studies. I mean they keep saying things like, well, our research said, and our studies says, And He's like, yeah, okay, but I don't get it. It's not fun, like who wants to play with a robot that turns into a building. I wonder do you think maybe some of the marketing and the executives concerns in this development if it kind of went into the script a little bit as, yeah, this is the problem, this is the problem with adulting versus a kid's mind. Kids just want to have fun. They don't care about the marketing. But the marketers they're all worried about how are we going to sell this thing? Who is it appealing for?
Speaker 1: What? The research says?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't get it. I don't get it that it. Let's shift gears and talk about why Big succeeded. The first thing you got to start with Tom Hanks. This was a once in a generation performance. What he did is he made a crucial choice. He didn't play a man acting like a kid. He played a kid trapped inside adult limits. And I think that difference is everything. I mean, if you watch the way he postures himself awkward, he's slightly off on his timing, he's unself conscious with his enthusiasm. One of the things I noticed thinking about when prepping for this show is if you watch the way he plays adult Josh, he's always oh, what is it, fidgeting. You'll see him where all the adults are doing all the adult things, where like we're at the party. I always think of the party where he wears that ridiculous tuxedo, thinking of singing fancy. Yes, everybody's talking about fancy things and adult things. But he's always fidgeting and looking around, and he's bored.
Speaker 1: I mean, kids are bored with that. And then he starts eating the corn, the little bite sized corn. He tries to just inging, he tries to gnaw at it.
Speaker 2: I love when John love Itz comes over to him and hints that one of these women are I mean, he's saying that this woman is really easy. And I can't remember the scene or what he says, but it comes across from a kid's mind is kind of scary and not a come on, And Josh goes, huh, well, I'll be sure to stay away from her. Get over there in the red mutch, say hi to her, and she's yours. Sure, rap her legs so you'll be begging for mercy.
Speaker 1: We I'll stay away from her.
Speaker 2: Then, emotionally he shows and communicates real fear. One of my favorite small moments in this movie is when he moves into the cheap hotel in New York with his friend and they're having fun, but his friend has to go home and he's left alone, and you start hearing a gunshot or a car crashing or people screaming or a police siren and he just casually hiding in a way. He's kind of hiding against the wall and he closes the blinds. You watch his expressions. This is a face of a kid trying to hold it together but being absolutely terrified in the real world. It's a small scene, but it just melts my heart every time I see it. It's brilliant, like he's got the body of this adult, but inside he is still just a thirteen year old boy, and he's got all of the fear in all of the emotions, and none of them are developed quite the way that his body is developed. And I love that juxtaposition. This falls right in line with Penny Marshall's vision. We have to believe in Josh, we have to feel with Josh. We've had all this comedy and that's great, but now the comedy's over, the day is over, and there's scary stuff out there when you're a kid by yourself, and we get a moment to just slow down and witness the fear, and I think that's great. There's the wonder without irony. The example I have is the toy store scenes. For example, He's just he's just playing, and he's not embarrassed about it, and he doesn't worry about what other people are thinking. He's just a kid playing, you know. He celebrates joy without self mockery.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that really it hit me today as we were as I was going over everything and just thinking about, you know, final final moments of game planning. The adults in this movie are all working the system them They're telling him how to work social situations, business situations. They're talking about research, they're talking about each other. They're talking about all of the things that if you work these systems correctly, then you get to move up in the world. And the purity of this movie. And it didn't hit me when I watched it before, at least it didn't hit me on a mental level. But Josh, all the good things that happened to Josh happened because he's just himself. He gets promoted because of the toy store scene, you know, and he meets the big boss in the store, and the big boss just watches him play, and he's just being a kid. He's just being who he is. And all of the good things that happen to him, including the woman, the girlfriend, the love interest, all of those things happen because Josh is just himself. He's just a thirteen year old kid. He's feeling all the things. He's talking about all of the things naturally, he's talking about all of the things honestly, he's not trying to put on he's not working systems. And if you look at it from this thirty thousand foot view, the success he has as a quote unquote businessman because he's just really been good at being a kid and the innocence and the playfulness and the lack of pretense, and man, it's no wonder that I love that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you talk about the Big Boss, Robert Loja.
Speaker 1: I couldn't remember his name. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was known for playing a lot of mean, tough guy roles, and this might have been the first movie I ever saw him in, so when I saw him playing in other movies, it surprised me. But like you said, all the adults in this movie, they're already kind of cynical, they're suspicious, but he's not. But you can see it first a sadness because of that. He feels like he's the only one that wants to do wonderful fun things with toys, but he doesn't know how because he's gotten too successful and he's got all these people telling him how to do it and how not to do it. And he bonds with Josh because of that joy. You know who doesn't love the piano scene where they're just talking and then Josh is like, this is the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life, and he starts playing, and the Boss is like, I play a little bit too, and they start playing the duet, and I love halfway through he just looks at Josh and he's like chop sticks boom.
Speaker 1: Boom boom boom boom boom.
Speaker 2: Boom boom boom boom instantly, and they're smiling and they're just having fun, and everybody's watching, and you know, you're right. It's Josh bringing in a child perspective into a very cynical world.
Speaker 1: And that's I think that's what's so fresh about it now and in nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: Going back to Tom Hanks's performance, the most important thing I think he brings to this film is he never winks at the audience. The casting directors and the executives. They were worried he might overplay the comedy, but he doesn't. He You know, that restraint it makes this premise of a film emotionally, you're along for the ride and you never question the fantasy aspect of it.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's funny. It's funny how they take and you said you didn't want to talk about the girlfriend, but this is the only scene that I could I could think of where there's all of the adult double entendre happening, but he just plays it straight like a little kid, Like a little kid doesn't think about, well, I get to be on top. He's not thinking of what that means for a thirty year old to hear it. He's just thinking about the bunk that they're going to sleep in because they're going to have a sleepover. That's it, And that's like that.
Speaker 2: It's like that part when he's in the limousine and he's fascinated with the electric locks and the power windows. He reaches over to open up one of the windows or play with the locks, and she has this expression like, oh, this is the part where he comes on to me.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 2: And then she's completely surprised, like, wait, he's not even paying attention to me. He's playing with the car. And then he's like, come on, you know, I've opened up the roof. Isn't this fun? And she's like, oh no, don't you want a drink? Don't you want to know? No, get up here and see. Finally is like okay, and then she starts having fun again. She starts remembering what fun is.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and it's it almost reminds me of airplane. Play it straight and it'll be funny. But you just got to play it straight, you know. And it's the same. It's the same kind of idea where if you are trying to be funny, it's not going to be funny.
Speaker 2: The thing to remember about comedy is if it's if it bends, it's funny.
Speaker 1: If it breaks, it's not funny. If you just play it straight, play it like a thirteen year old would, it's going to be funny.
Speaker 2: Right. Did you know that this earned Tom Hanks his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't realize that either. Doing the research, I thought, wow, I don't know a lot of people that get Oscars for comedies. I know Marissa Tomay did. It's usually reserved for drama and serious, so that says a lot. I mean, this performance is really what made Philadelphia and Forrest Gump and cast Away kind of films for him possible. This was the true beginning for his career and thank god for it.
Speaker 1: Amen to that.
Speaker 2: But it's not all Tom Hanks. Penny Marshall deserves a huge amount of credit. You know, she directed this with the emotional restraint, character first instincts, and almost zero cynicism. The adult characters they do have a cynical feel, but Josh doesn't his friend doesn't. The boss really doesn't want to be cynical. He wants to feel the joy of childhood again. That's why he has a toy business. The You know Susan, she is in a cynical world, but she starts realizing when she spends time with Josh that life can be fun. It's not about hitting your numbers working all the time. And so I just think that tone makes this movie so enjoyable. Marshall's philosophy was very simple. Let the fantasy exist quietly, ground the scenes in human reactions, and never exploit the premise. And I think that's what you and I have been discussing when we're talking about scenes and characters.
Speaker 1: We get this.
Speaker 2: Our message was communicated well. The comedy of Big it comes from the innocence colliding with adult systems. It's it's not mocking innocence. It never mocks the innocence of childhood. Josh, you know, he succeeds because he remembers the joy the world never fixes him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would say his innocence is how do I want to say this? Not only is it a theme, it's an organizing principle. It's the characters play around.
Speaker 2: It the entire time and it never changes, right, the fantasy in Big, It's not therapy. You know, Big argues something riskier. I think innocence does not equal stupidity. You know, wonder has value on its own. You know it's the adults that are emotionally stunted, not the kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the kids are definitely the heroes in the story. So, and this is what I was going to get at earlier. When Susan and Paul, who had a thing before Susan and Josh did, they get in an argument and Paul asked, what is it about this guy? And she says, he's a grown up. He's a grown up, right. That's that's the that's the irony of innocence as a character. And how you know the whole idea of innocence isn't stupidity. Wonder has value. And the adults are you know, emotionally stunted. They they're missing something that Josh is placing into their world. Your heart dies, Who cares?
Speaker 2: I care? What if growing up is the problem? And I think this is why the magic lasts for Big.
Speaker 1: It's what it's part of what makes it timeless.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, what makes it timeless yeah, all right, Matt, we've waited long enough. I think we need to do this. Let's talk about the romance in this movie.
Speaker 1: And not get canceled.
Speaker 2: When we were in the eighties, this whole thing just went over ahead. It's like it just it didn't weird me out. And I saw this with my parents, and I don't remember my parents being weirded out or talking about it.
Speaker 1: If they were weirded out, you would never know about it. They would just talk about it later behind your back.
Speaker 2: Let's be fair. The Susan relationship, it really could have sunk this entire movie. But it works, I think because it's handled with the restraint and the discomfort. I mean it's it's portrayed as quietly inappropriate and honest. Josh's emotional immaturity becomes undeniable. You know, it's not again, he doesn't. Nobody's winking at the camera, thank you, none of that. You know, these two people connected, and you know, the movie just lets the discomfort exist and then ends it and.
Speaker 1: We move on.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Big was one of those movies that kind of there was some romance to it and there was some innocence to it that I mean, it drew me in. It didn't make me feel like, oh, you know, I'm gonna go get you know, this older woman or whatever it is. It was just the kind of thing like, Okay, I can be myself, and I can in this new situation, and I can experience this. This is a real thing, Josh, who is you know, thirteen and a thirty year old's body is experiencing this because he was himself. He lived his life. This is what happens, So there's hope for me.
Speaker 2: I thought the way it ended was nice. You know, when she realizes what had happened, first of all, she buys into the fantasy as well, Okay, that's why you act the way you do. You're a kid. And when he's going home and he's with her and she's talking to him, and there's two things I really liked. I like, he wanted her to go with him and she said, no, I can't, I've already done that. And I remember as a kid coming home that was one of the discussions I had with my mom as I said, man, if I had a chance to go back, I would Why wouldn't you? And my mom tried to explain it, but she couldn't but again, now that I'm an adult, I go, yeah, I don't think I really want to do the teen years again.
Speaker 1: She was right.
Speaker 2: The second thing is I love that he moves in to give her one more kiss, and she pauses, and she kisses his forehead and he goes home.
Speaker 1: She becomes appropriate as soon as she knows what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird, it's a little awkward, but we're moving on. She's the mature adult. She understands how it happened. He still doesn't fully understand, but he will someday. There's no reason to guilt anybody. It's just a thing, and we've corrected it. And he's going home and he will, he will live his childhood. And Susan will go back to New York a little wiser and changed, and whatever she goes to pursue, it's gonna be from a non cynical perspective.
Speaker 1: We know this. You know you said something interesting talking about what years would you go back and redo? And I've always had the premise that there's not enough money in the world for me to go back to middle school. You can forget it. You could give me, you could give me fifty year old knowledge and wisdom and say you can go back and be in middle school. And I would still say no. I would still say no, I did not like middle school, high school, senior year. I might, I might think about it. I would do college again. I would absolutely do college again. So is there a time of your life where you would happily go back and try it again.
Speaker 2: I would want to go back fantasy Island style, meaning let me go back and experience it, but I don't want any of the logic of repercussions or butterfly effect or ruining the present. Just let me go back and kind of relive it. But then I come back into today, no harm, no foul. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yes? I like that.
Speaker 2: The college years would probably be it that some of the best friends I ever made, the best experiences, your first taste at independence, individuality. I mean, all through high school you worry about conformity or nonconformity, and then I went to college and all of a sudden, nobody cared if you were like them or not. Everybody was just doing their thing, and that was great, That was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of adventure and coming of age in the college years that I would do over again. I'm trying to think if I would do it again with or without the age and wisdom, because kind of that was the part of the formula with middle school, high school. You'd go back, but you can have the wisdom and knowledge. I don't know if I would want to do it again without the wisdom and knowledge. So I get to I get to be, you know, forty fifty year old Matt, but I get to experience all of the things, make all of the decisions at that point though, it's like a cheat code, right, So I don't know. I don't know if I would want to do that again. I always say that because I'm always thinking about the ball and you know, playing ball and all the friends and all the free time, and you know, you're an adult, you're making your own decisions, but you're not you're certainly not paying your own bills yet, at least I wasn't. I don't think you were either, So you know that kind of thing. I think, yeah, i'd go back, But when I think of all of the things that you know, I learned through those years, like, do I really want to learn all that again the hard way? Do I really want to have that experience again, I don't know. That's a good question, you know.
Speaker 2: I think the real problem as being adults is if we did go back with the wisdom, it wouldn't be the same. We wouldn't interact the same way, right, I don't think we would really the experience. There's something to be said about you can't go home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that's right. And for me, though, the perfectionist in me would like to make better decisions going going forward. It's like, Okay, if you had this and this and this and this figured out, then that would change some things. And I wish there was like an app or a website or something, you know, futuristically that could tell you, you know, you put in Okay, this didn't happen. I did this instead, how did my life turn out? And I think probably what would happen is we'd find out it turns out basically the same, because you can change this circumstances, but you're still you, you know. Anyway, we've gotten way philosophical on this and that's not where I intended to go. But I think it's an interesting concept because those are the things that I thought about as a fifteen year old watching Big you know, if I got the chance to become older but still be a kid all of those things. That was very much a thought process that I had as a fifteen year old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I was a kid, I thought the ending made no sense to me. Why would you want to go back and be a kid. You've got this amazing job, You've got a great girlfriend, go with it. But that's the fifteen year old in me. You should watch this movie. Every decade in your opinion changes, your perception of what's going on changes. That's kind of what I think is the brilliance of this story, because now I look back and I go, yeah, Now, he couldn't. He'd miss out on his childhood. He needs to go back, and she needs to stay where she's staying.
Speaker 1: And that's just the way it is. When you're you know, fifteen, sixteen years old or twelve thirteen years old, skipping all that becomes attractive. But you know, when you're forty fifty years old, you look back on that and you say, well, that was all really pretty important for the things that I needed to accomplish in all. If I had skipped it, I'd have missed a bunch of stuff that I didn't need to miss.
Speaker 3: Exactly when you get out of school, you have to work every day for the rest of your life. We all know when that time was that we were no longer the innocent child, what year it was or month or summer or vacation or whatever. And I think we're just a bit saddened because we know that aspect of innocence is gone forever. And that was what we were trying to point up in this movie, is that let's.
Speaker 1: Not rush these kids.
Speaker 3: Let's let them be kids for as long as possible. The longer you can put it off, the better, because you do have to put it off eventually. Now hopefully you'll put it off when you're nineteen twenty twenty one years old. That's the thing I means, Let's cut our kids some slack and let them just be kids. The world's confusing enough as it is.
Speaker 2: There's a line early on in the movie that really sets that up. Is when Josh is at the amusement park as a kid and he sees one of the older popular girls and he's crushing on her, and he's shy and he don't know how to talk to her, and she's being nice, and then she points out the boyfriend she has, and she looks over and looks back at Josh and she says, he drives. It's all about where are we going forward? This guy he's doing older stuff. I want to be with the older stuff, which is why I guess Josh says, well, I want to be big, and then you kind of learn, well, that has its limits. Let's don't go too far on this, you know, right right right, let me reall this back in. There's a couple more things I wanted to touch base on as far as why this movie worked, and then we'll talk about the resulting success. This movie came out at the perfect time.
Speaker 1: You know, I saw stuff in my research talking about, you know, all of the things that were going on in the Reagan years and the economics and the business and the way that the eighty's business culture was changing and becoming harder and more difficult, and people were working harder. There was this grind to it that didn't exist before. And this movie comes in and people, even if they're not working in you know, Manhattan, can see themselves in each of these positions through this movie. You know, from the boss to the to the upper and middle management to the to the grunts and you know, find just some fresh perspective in this little boy that switches into a big body, and that's the premise of the movie, and what happens when that happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the yuppies had been around for a while. The corporate nature, the make money, the Wall Street greed is good. It was leading to adult burnout. I think there was a wish for nostalgia and simplicity, just take it down a notch.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Big tapped into this. It addresses the fear of growing up too fast, the anxiety of how hollow success can be. I think a lot of adults at the time had this desire to reconnect with wonder And obviously it wasn't just you and me, you know, audience. They didn't just like this movie. They recognized themselves in it, and it just became huge. What's the result of all this, Well, Big had a budget of eighteen million dollars. Worldwide box office brought in one hundred and fifty one million dollars.
Speaker 1: I'd say it did okay, did all right.
Speaker 2: It got critical acclaim on top of that, and I mentioned earlier it had some Oscar recognition. It launched Tom Hanks as a dramatic star. I mean, do we even need to go down his list. I mean, he just became huge. You might say that Tom Hanks became pretty big in the movie business after this.
Speaker 1: You can't use my joke.
Speaker 2: Penny Marshall, after this became a pretty major director.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: After Big, she did the emotionally dramatic I would argue, maybe a little too emotional Away Makenings, And that was with Robin Williams and Robert de Niro. And then she did one of my favorites, A League of their own.
Speaker 1: There's no crying in baseball. I would not rank it with The Natural or Bull Durham, but as a fun sports movie, I loved it.
Speaker 2: Big became what I would consider a perennial rewatch. You know this, You can watch this movie every decade and get a different perspective on it.
Speaker 1: I think this is the kind of movie where if you find it on anywhere, you find it on if it's on TV, it's if it's at the first, if it's in the middle, if it's right at the end, you pick it up. You know where it's going, you know where it's been, and you just pick up on the story. This is one of those movies for me, I have probably there's probably ten of them on my list. This would definitely be one of them.
Speaker 2: It's just a cultural touchstone for the moment, and funny enough, this movie is still a template that the studios they still misunderstand. They've never been able to really recreate this again. You know, they've tried to make several age swamp movies. There was a handful of them, vice versa like Father, Like Son eighteen again Jennifer Garner did one never quite works the same way. You know, with the newer films or the films they've tried to capture the big essence on It's like we were saying, there's always a mission, there's something they're supposed to be learning from. But Big didn't have that.
Speaker 1: I think the genius of Big is it doesn't have an agenda. Now, it accomplishes a lot of things, and it says a lot of things, but I think the basic premise is, Hey, a thirteen year old becomes a thirty year old. What happens and there's not a oh, you know, Grandpa's got to learn this lesson, or you know, she's got to learn responsibility or you know, all of the lists of things that we talked about. You know, these are the agendas, the underlying agendas on what's happening in the movie.
Speaker 2: Well, and the ending of Big to me says, you don't get to skip childhood.
Speaker 1: Growth requires patience. Josh chooses loss, pain, reality, and that choice it gives the film weight.
Speaker 2: It's very simple. Big trust sincerity over irony. It respects its audience emotionally. It commits fully to the premise, and it avoids cruelty and cynicism. Big treats fantasy as a way to reveal truth, not escape it. And that isn't a small task to succeed at, not even a little. What are we going to talk about next week, Matt?
Speaker 1: You know, Derek, I got a text this week from mister Weber from our group. He was like, Hey, on Accidental Legends, are you guys going to be doing Walk this Way with run DMC anytime soon? As a matter of fact, and I kind of laid out what we were doing. He was like, all right, gotta love those great minds.
Speaker 2: Oh Man, great minds.
Speaker 1: Indeed. Well, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to talking about that.
Speaker 1: Let me just take a minute here to say Thank you to all of our friends that are commenting in, sending us text sending emails, sending Facebook messages, whatever it happens to be, just talking about how you're connecting with the episodes. It's been fun getting more and more of that, so we really appreciate that, and Sin keep sending those in because we eat it up.
Speaker 2: Yep, hit like hit, subscribe, Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, tell anybody. We're really glad you're here and we look forward to next week. Until then, we will talk to you later.
Speaker 1: We'll see you later.