Speaker 1: You know, speaking of like trinkets and movie going and everything, I'm just curious to ask you about popcorn buckets, these like movie themed popcorn corn buckets, because like when I go to my theater, they now have like a huge display. It's like when you're you know, like a target or whatever. You know, how they make it so when you're walking to the register, you have to pass all these sort of little odds and ends that you think, oh, that'd be fun, I'll buy that, you know, that sort of gimmick. So when you go to the concession stand, now you sneak through this area where they have all these shelves of popcorn buckets. Yeah, and I mean they've had these for a long time. I think the Dune popcorn bucket was the one that really brought a lot of people's attention to it for the first time. But I mean every movie since, like I have, there was an Andrea Bocelli movie that showed for like a week, but they made a popcorn bucket for that really, yeah, which I have because I thought it was so funny. And so you know, you have certain ones that are just regular tins. So I remember ferm Mission Impossible. It was just like a red bucket with an image of Ethan Hunt dangling from a mountain or something. Right, But then some of the others get really really elaborate. And the one that really stood out to me when I went to the movies the other night was they had this tron arcade cabinet popcorn bucket. So look, it looks cool, like it looks like a mini arcade cabinet, and you know, but that movie just didn't perform like I think people expected. People weren't interested in buying merch for that film. And they still have those tron arcade things every time you walk up to the register, and it's like, you know, I think when they came out, they're probably like sixty bucks, and then it's like thirty bucks, and now it's like two for fifteen dollars. I mean, yeah, yeah, well, and then I still pass like wicked stuff. But then there's new things, you know, like Michael and it looks like it's like a bucket, but it looks like there's a gold record on top. But anyway, with Mandalorian.
Speaker 2: One battle after another where it's just Colonel Lockjaw's head that you eat popcorn out of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or it's like the paternity test machine, you know, like the two levels. You just like open that up and eat the popcorn out of it. He may not be her father, DiCaprio, but you know he is her dad eating out of that machine. So but Mandalorian and Grogu, I saw that they have this big, elaborate, freaking at at Walker. Okay, popcorn bucket quote unquote bucket. Yeah, and it looks like something I would have wanted as a kid, just like a toy, right right, But it costs I want to say, it costs eighty dollars.
Speaker 3: What the Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I remember the Avatar thing also, I don't remember the creature's name, but whatever, those you know, the sky dragon things that they fly, They had those and they lit up and they were like eighty dollars or something. And I don't know, I mean, I don't have a point to all this. I just think it's kind of fascinating that they are investing so much in these things. Yeah, and some of them become collector's items. I think the Yoshi popcorn bucket from Super Mario Galaxy, right, you know, probably sold for like sixty dollars or something. And now you can go on eBay and see them for who knows one hundred plus. But then it's interesting seeing you've got all these leftovers, and I just wonder, I don't know how this is like netting out for them, if it's maybe they only cost five dollars to make, you know, so not much as lost. But I just find it fascinating. I'm curious how much longer it'll go for. And I'm kind of curious what your experience with these is at your theater. I mean, do you see a lot of these? Do you see a lot of leftovers?
Speaker 2: I see ye, I mean, now that you mentioned it, I mean I don't. I guess I don't spend a lot of time glancing at things in the in the the concessions area.
Speaker 1: So you don't have to like pass them, right, Okay.
Speaker 2: So I have not seen like the more elaborate ones, but I see I not in person, but I see pictures online and and for me, there's just a practicality aspect of it where I mean that it's like taking up space forever, you know, like yeah, in a collection. So I'm kind of like for some of these, I mean I can see Star Wars fans obviously buying the Star Wars ones, right, But you know with.
Speaker 3: You know, some of this other stuff.
Speaker 2: It's so it's so transient that I wonder about, Like, I I think that, what was it like two years ago there was like the Deadpool and Wolverine one, right, and there was like a like people were lining up to get them.
Speaker 3: I think it's dead Pool and Wolverine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of remember that.
Speaker 2: I forget, I forget even what it was. I just remember there was like a limit one per customer thing, and I'm like, Okay, I can kind of see somebody wanting that. But not all movies are going to have sort of that toy ettek or collectible adjacent you know, yeah, or like an event.
Speaker 1: It's like when you go to a concert and you want to sort of memorialize it in sort of a way and you can put it on your shelf like a shirt or whatever you get. So I can see that maybe with a certain movie that's like an event and you go with a big group of friends and whatever.
Speaker 2: But like even Dune, right, it was just hey, it looks like a butthole, Like that was the whole.
Speaker 1: That was the novelty of it.
Speaker 2: The novelty of it, hey butt hoole bucket. Okay, I would imagine that wears off too after a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's funny for a week or a couple of days. But then I mean, is that thing still sitting on your shelf the in a proud spot?
Speaker 2: I don't know, leave it there as a conversation starter on Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Well, I think for.
Speaker 1: You know, Billy, I've been meaning to ask you taking a bite of turkey. But for me, I've been kind of lucky where you know, my friend works at a studio and so I've gone to a couple of screenings there that they host, and they've given out their buckets there for free. Oh interesting, and so I have like a mission impossible bucket and whatever. Well, like I said, the simple ones, it's just a popcorn bucket, right, but it's branded right right, and I do love it like I do use it. It's it's fun and it because it works as a popcorn bucket, right, you know. But sometimes I'll see certain ones that look cool, like if I saw a well, I think AMC had Deloreans. Okay, you know, for when the anniversary.
Speaker 3: That's the teacher that's cool. You know, yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 1: I can understand that sort of thing, but some of them are just so elaborate. And also for a movie that like I'm catching because I have the time and not because it's something that I'm really thinking much about. I just think it's interesting that they just went all in on that and making this really expensive merch for it.
Speaker 2: And you know, this feels like a ramp like a ramp up from we're talking twenty years ago. I remember Slurpy Cups used to be very elaborate.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember going to seven eleven when Revenge of the Sith came out and there were like four different Slurpy cups all with the Darth Vader topper.
Speaker 3: I was like, these are cool, and then I got them.
Speaker 2: I had four of them, and then at some point, you know, when I moved or whatever, I'm like, Man, what am.
Speaker 3: I supposed to do with these?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, and in.
Speaker 2: The trash they went. I probably could have put them on eBay now that I think about it. But anyway, this is like exponentially more in terms of the sort of the logistical hassle factor, the func stue of it all, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when you're like pricing the average person out of a popcorn bucket. Yeah, it's just like, I don't know, it's just the natural evolution of things. I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's sort of you know, you know comic books used to do this where in this is in the nineties, at the height of the speculator era, so we're talking early nineties and the and you may even have memory of this, like the were trying to out gimmick each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of remember this.
Speaker 2: So you had like, yeah, you had like glowing the dark cover and yeah, you know, hologram cover, and then it became like pop up cover and color forms cover and and it became it eventually became such a pain in the ass because you're paying extra for literally there was a there was a Superman cover that was it came with those those plastic clings and you could make a little color form scene interesting, and it's like, you know, there again, there is a novelty, a brief novelty, but then when it comes to storage and everything.
Speaker 1: It's a big hassle, right yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So all of this is to say, like when I was doing my bindings, I realized that like, if you're trying to flip through a book, a big, heavy cardboard hologram thing is makes it hard. Right, So I, even though I owned the like the the the Gimmick covers, I went back in and purchased the like the normal version of those issues.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So right, eventually it's like, well the gimmick becomes a pain, yeah, and it's like, just give me the normal thing, and I feel like just to transfer the analogy. At some point, you just want a thing to eat popcorn out of that you throw away?
Speaker 1: Yeah right right, right right now, or like it's cool to take something home and I can use it because it's actually useful, but I don't need like twenty of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like how much popcorn it does one intend to eat?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, but although I do, I am susceptible sometimes to the shiny thing. You know, when you're in the moment you're going to see a certain thing and then you see like a little thing that you can hold in your hand, like I get the draw.
Speaker 2: Well sure, but like okay, so you use the ad at as an example, Yeah, it's just kind of yeah, that's a neat thing. I wouldn't pay eighty dollars for it.
Speaker 1: No very cool though, I mean I just always love ad at Walker, sure.
Speaker 2: Right, or the DeLorean or like, give me an anton first Batmobile popcorn holder. Well, I would just put that on my shelf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I just instinctively held up my hand with cash in it when you said that.
Speaker 2: See, yeah, right, but yeah, I mean at some point again and actually, you know, if you give me the Colonel lockjaw head, put that next to the butthole thing and just let people have their own conversations.
Speaker 1: Excuse me. Yeah. Wait, by the way, this is completely random, but have you this is Sunday, May seventeenth. Have you seen last night's SNL.
Speaker 3: I've only seen a couple of sketches. I fell asleep.
Speaker 1: Did you see the opening with the Jeffrey Epstein. Yeah, Will Ferrell played Jeffrey Epstein and you know the talking to Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: Did you think that Will Ferrell with his wig and his sweater and everything looked like Harrison Ford from The Fugitive when he steals that old man's clothes from the hospital.
Speaker 3: That's funny. Wow, right, He's.
Speaker 1: Got that like gray grandpa sweater and I couldn't stop thinking about it. And then I wanted to make sure to tell you. And then this morning on Instagram or something, I saw someone say is it just me or did well Phair look like Harrison Ford in that opening sketch last night? And I was like, wow, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: You keet in on something, you know, I The Fugitive.
Speaker 2: It's so funny that you mentioned that, because, like, you know, I screened that in my class, and you know, I teach a class clued Cultural Expression in Media, and I try to culminate the course by talking about film itself as culture, like the experience of watching a movie with an audience that that becomes a shared cultural moment, you know. And so I like using The Fugitive as an example because it's a great Obviously it was a huge blockbuster, but also it was a critical and you know, Awards favorite, and so it has that dual layers of credibility and plus for most you know, we're talking about pop culture half life. I mean, gosh, well, overwhelmingly students have not seen this in a movie they enjoy. And in my my final one one question that I close out with is what was your favorite movie that we watched this semester? And it gratifies me so much that so many of them are like, well, I know it's the last one, but manned, I love The Fugitive really, you know, and it just makes me happy because I'm like, this is a movie that in terms of the situation that it presents, it's it's so technologically removed from where we are now, right.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: Richard Kimball in twenty six has a whole he runs a very different gauntlet, you know what I'm saying, And that would be an interesting story. But in that sense, this is very it's very out of date, right, Yeah, the idea that Kimball can just sort of disappear into a maze of humanity and sort of function with a certain level of anonymity, it feels very very quaint.
Speaker 1: I mean, like every movie now is like, you know, check the CCTV and people.
Speaker 3: Pulling out their phones and recording whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Running Man, which I know is supposed to be slightly futuristic, but it's not that far off where everyone can just pull out their phones and find that person exactly. So that's a great point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's very different, but yet they plug into the the character drama and the performances and that, you know, like the stuff that the same stuff that you and I have loved about that movie for decades that makes it so so utterly rewatchable.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I saw somebody online say once that that's that's a finish watching from wherever you happen to channel surf across it movie completely. Yeah, it's so true, right, And you know I always say what was favorite movie and why? And the responses were great where it was like I was glad that the deputy came around to his side, or that that he believed him, you know, like in other words, sort of reckon, like liking both characters, yeah, or.
Speaker 3: One one comment I loved.
Speaker 2: I loved how doctor Kimball went out of his way to help others when it.
Speaker 3: Would have been easier not to.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, man, if those are the responses, I feel like I'm doing something right.
Speaker 1: Is that funny They're not talking about action sequences exactly. Yeah, Like they really locked into the characters and who they are, and that's that's amazing. That's that makes me so happy.
Speaker 2: It really does, you know, because because I try to frame it, I'm like, you know, what is the shorthand that films give us. How do we know instinctively when a character is a bad guy good guy? To talk about save the cat and things like that. In The Fugitive, one of the first instances we first indications we get that Kimball is a good guy is after the train crash he's the only one who helps the cop who's been stabbed. Yeah, yep, and like right away you're like, okay, good guy, you know. And so I try to walk them through what a movie is doing to make them better aware of, like this is everything that's in the film is there intentionally and there it's trying to make you feel a certain way. So interrogate your your feelings. Why are you why do you feel this way or that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And I use the same thing about Gerard. I'm like, what how do we know he's not a bad guy? You know? And I talk about protagonists versus antagonist, and I'm like, you know, a protagonist is not a good guy. Antagonist is not a bad guy. It's protagonist is who we spend the most time with. Antagonist is whoever's trying to stop our protagonists from achieving their goal, you know. And I try I walk them through this where I'm like, the more time you spend with the character, the more you feel invested in them. And I'm like Girard and Kimball, we spend the equal time. We like them both, you know. So it's fun to me when they are picking out this stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, I just.
Speaker 1: I wish you could almost take this like your your students and use this as a study to show studios what resonates. Yeah, right, you know what I mean. It isn't trying to top yourself with visual effects. It isn't you know, any of that sort of thing. It's if the characters resonate and their journey resonates, people walk away satisfied. So like, that's what you should be working on first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And I think it gets to like, what are the movies that that outlive their moment and what are the ones that maybe burn white hot for a second but are utterly forgotten.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny. This reminds me. I rewatched the movie Splash recently, and that was a huge hit when it came out in nineteen eighty four, and it was in the top ten box office of the year. And I was listening to a podcast and they were interviewing Ron Howard just reflecting about Splash being this big breakout moment for him and Tom Hanks and everybody, and so it's like, oh, I want to it's on Disney Plus I've rewatch that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because it opens with he and Tom Hanks and John Candy are brothers, and it shows a flashback with their little boys, and you see the John Candy boy basically throwing change on the ground and picking it up, but it's just an excuse so he can look up women's skirts, gotcha. And so then it you know, shows them in the present and John Candy is still throwing stuff on the ground so he can look up women's dresses.
Speaker 2: I believe that's what you were doing the first time you and I met.
Speaker 1: That's how we met. Yeah, actually, yeah, that's right. But I was like, wow, that is so funny that this like really creepy thing, Like in eighty four everyone was like, yes, yes, that's our guy, you know what I mean. And and even that's one example, but then Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah's relationship is just so empty, you know what I mean. It's like she's she saw him once and now she's obsessed with him, and as soon as they see each other they have sex like immediately, and then they want to get married. And I'm like what what like what? Yeah, you know what I mean. And it's like she's the love of his life. I'm like, she hasn't spoken a word to you yet, you know what I mean. So I just feel like a movie like that would not, you know, hold up to today's audiences for many reasons. Yeah yeah, but in the moment it worked, you know. But we're talking about there are just certain movies where they do like a great job, you know, with like the human condition and characters and what they want and what they need and making them relatable or at least understandable. And those are the movies where maybe culturally we don't talk about the Fugitive as much, but if you show it to a group of younger people who might never have put it on themselves, it holds up just as well as it did thirty some years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's gratifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that's I think that's really cool your class, just that it exists. I mean, that's such an amazing thing, not only to show exposed kids to like amazing movies they may have missed, but also to give them like a kind of a literacy or get them into a dialogue about like not just watching a movie, but thinking about a movie and digging in the way that you guys do. I think that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I hope.
Speaker 2: So you know, I saw a thing online and maybe this was bait to some extent, but it was somebody responding to the question of like, what is a good age to show your kids the Lord of the Rings films, And this person says, well, if your kids are a little like five, that's probably too young. So another five years then they're ten ish. But at that point the movies are going to be more than thirty years old, and no kid is going to watch a movie that's more than thirty years old.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is Brian. And that was a preview of an hour long bonus conversation Zachi and I had where we talked about everything from novelty popcorn buckets to Masters of the Universe, tracking and tie in toys, and we also had a surprisingly in depth conversation about the two thousand and one John Travolta, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry movie Swordfish You can find this conversation in its entirety over on our Patreon feed, along with other bonus conversations we've previously dropped, which usually happens about twice a month, as well as ad free versions of all our commentaries and regular episodes. Just head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm Podcast, hit subscribe, and for only five dollars a month, you can get in on all this ad free fun that's patreon dot com slash moviefilm Podcast