Speaker 1: At a.
Speaker 2: Book.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to be able to listen to the show without ads and have full access to bonus content, that's an option. To find out how, please go to Dogmanencounters dot com Forward Slash Podcast. Tonight's guest is Bruno Thompson. Bruno, thanks so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're welcome. Bruno. Please give us a brief bio on yourself.
Speaker 2: A brief bio on myself. Okay, I'm fifty four years old. I live in central Wisconsin, Adams County, which is forty minutes north of the Wisconsin Dells. I like to hunt, fish, trap, anything outdoors. In my younger years, I did a lot of sports, high school baseball, certain things like that. I worked for the Wisconsin Conservation Corps for two years from nineteen ninety two to ninety three, and that involved building birdhouses or woodduck houses, and planting trees and just doing all kinds of things. We actually took third graders on field trips, planted trees with them, taught them about trees. Yeah, I did that for so I was twenty one at that time. I just kind of fast forward here, but yeah, and I learned a lot doing that, just wanting to be in the outdoors. It didn't pay a lot. The reason I took the job was because I found out I could get a scholarship from the state, because I ended up getting my ged I moved around a lot as a kid. We talked yesterday and I told you about I lived in five different states, you know, growing up Florida, Wisconsin, Alaska, Utah, and Michigan. So I moved around and went to quite a few different schools, and you know, but when I was finally fifteen, I pretty much stayed with my grandma and didn't live with my mom. But anyway, back to the Wisconsin Conservation Corps. I finished out my time there. I got my scholarship from them, and I went to MATC and I studied Ohm's law for about six months, and I got a job with Able Electric in Green Bay. I worked with them for a while, got a job with CC Electric, a Platinum Electric, but I basically ended up moving on from there and going into factory work. And that's just kind of like what I do now. And I only do electrical work on side jobs. I do do it, but I just do it as side jobs. So basically about me. I just love hunting, fishing, being outdoors, kayaking, trapping. Right now, I'm trying to go for a pilot's license. I was talking about that yesterday, building a small single seat aircraft. I live on ten acres up here. It's really nice. I only work ten minutes away, and I do a lot of reloading, building birdhouses, you know, just tinkering, like doing carpentry and target practice. So yeah, I just come from a family that they all did hunting.
Speaker 3: And fishing, and my grandma, my grandpa, they all went out to Wyoming and they shot antelope and mule deer and all that.
Speaker 2: And when I was growing up, you know, I was kind of wanted to be like my grandpa. So I don't know, that's really about it.
Speaker 1: That must have been great growing up with your family, with your extended family being so interested in the outdoors. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely. Like so, when I was six years old, I got my first geebe gun from my grandpa. I mean, I guess that's pretty young for a kid. My mom really didn't like it. And another story is when I was I mean, if you could imagine this, I got a ten twenty two ruger car. Being at eight years old, so I had to walk to school every day because I was a latch key kid, you know, I had to carry your house key around your neck because your parents both worked or whatever and you had to basically take care of yourself. Well, I walked to school and I was just going down the steps into the playground. And this was in Milwaukee, nineteen eighty February tenth. It was cold outside, and all of a sudden, I hear beep beep, and I look around. I don't see nothing. And the school I went to, there's a cools parking lot right across the street. And I look over and there's one car over. I don't see nobody, so I just start going on the steps again. Then I hear somebody yell hey, Bubba, and that's my grandpa called me. He called me bubb or Bubba. So I look up and there he is like waving out the window to me. I was like, oh my god. So I go running over there and he's like, hey, I brought you your birthday president. I was like what. He's like, yeah, jump in, and so I jump in the car and he hands me this big box and puts it on my lap. I'm like, what is it? He's open it up, you know, and I didn't know, but it was shaped like a gun, you know, in a big box. So I'm just like wow. I mean, I ripped that thing open so fast, and I had it out of the box and I'm looking down the sites and I had the gun out the window, aiming at the street light. You know. I was like, oh, this is so cool. And he engraved on it to Bubba with love Papa, February tenth, nineteen eighty, you know, on a little gold plated plaque that he had attached to the to the right side of the stock so when you cheeked it, the plate wouldn't touch your face. It would be on the opposite side. And my uncle Mark, he was one year younger than me because my grandma had him at forty years old. My mom had me at sixty. So my grandma had her last kid late in life and my mom had me really young, so we were like brothers. So he got a ten twenty two ruger carbing with one serial number off and his engraved plate that said to Mark, you know, with love Dad on his birthday, right, So they were like a matching set, and he ordered him that way. But that was like one of the greatest birthday presents I ever had. I wasn't able to tell my mom about it because back then it's kind of a long story. I really don't want to get into that today. But I lived with my grandma and grandpa until I was five, and then my mom kind of took me away from there and she didn't want me seeing my grandma and grandpa. So this was kind of a surprise visit. But yeah, it was like the best birthday president ever. Yeah, it was a nice time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like it. And I'll bet your mom would have freaked out if she would have known.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Back in nineteen or so, two years later, when we were living in Florida, my mom said something to me one day and I was like, well, I already got a gun. No you don't.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I.
Speaker 2: Told her. You know, I was twelve, So I'm like, yeah, where, I said, in Milwaukee? Who's got I said, Grandma's got it? What who got it for you? I said, Papa did. When I was like on my birthday, way back when when I wasn't supposed to talk to him. Oh, sneak, you know. I mean she really didn't care too much because my grandpa got sick and died in eighty three, so that was kind of a rough thing. But yeah, it brought her family back together because my mom didn't really want to talk to them, and when my grandpa got sick, then it we all, I don't know, got back together.
Speaker 1: Well I hate the fact that he passed away, but I'm glad at least your family got together after that. Yeah, all right, Brinda, please tell us about your encounter. Now give us ever last detail that comes to mind.
Speaker 2: Okay, this was November seventeenth, nineteen ninety five. It was the day before opening day of rifle season in Wisconsin, and this happened around nine pm to ten thirty. I'm not positive on the time. I just kind of know what time. Me and my uncle Tony left the trailer and we went for a ride, and we went to pick up some beer and food and snacks and lan Jaeger's and jerky that we would take out in the woods with us. So, yeah, everybody was already up here. A lot of my family members that live about well, they don't live. They have a cabin a mile from us on fourteenth A in Adams County, where just I'm just off Highway thirteen north towards the Wisconsin Rapids and Adams, Wisconsin, so that's where I'm at. And anyways, so we're back here and my uncle Tony's like, hey, you want to go for a ride and pick all this stuff up and do this and that, and and I'm like, yeah, let's go, you know, and He's He's somebody that I just he was my closest uncle. I always got along with them. He inspired me a lot of ways too, because he played baseball in school and I like baseball and all that. And he actually had a draft letter for tryout for the Cincinnati Reds back in nineteen seventy nine. So anyway, we just me and him were like peanut, Butter and Jelly. Whenever there was a family reunion, they'd be like, where's Bruno. He's hanging out with unkin Tony. So we were just always together. We hunted together, we thought alike everything, even though there was like a eight year difference, which I guess isn't that much for an uncle and a nephew. But anyway, I go with him. We jump in his little geometro and we go for a ride, and I'm trying to remember if it was mine. I think it was his idea. He's like, hey, let's let's go drive through the hunting land. And I'm debating with him, like, well, I don't know if it's a very good idea, and why you know, we really never did that. We drove around other areas to look at where the deer are crossing the night before, you know, looking for signs and stuff. But I didn't want to go in there because I'm like, yeah, driving in there spooking them, you know. I mean we're going in there at nine to ten thirty at night. We're going to be in those woods at five six am, you know, we don't really want to scare them and stuff. He's just like, ah, that's not going to one car. It's not like we're chasing them down or we're doing donuts or going really fast. So I'm like I finally agree on it. I'm like, okay, So we go in and this is it's seven hundred and sixty acres of public land. And to describe this place to you is it's really it was really nice. We hunted it from nineteen six nineteen sixty till the year twenty fifteen. Yeah, and it got clear cutted and the DNR ended up selling the land to some farmers and now it's farm fields. But back then it was really nice. It had everything that you wanted, like rolling oak ridges, big huge oak trees with falling acorns and tamarack. It had lot like a spot there where it had all these tamaracks and thickets and dogwood where deer could hide and kind of like a I don't know, it would be a peat moss, but it's kind of a swampy. I wouldn't say swamp, but it's wetter in that area. So there's a few spots in there in this seven hundred and sixty acres that has kind of a wetter area, and it's jackpines in there, white pine, Scotch pine, just different kinds of trees and wild hazel nuts. We got hazel nuts galore. You really can't even harvest them around here because the deer eat them before they get right. Like I'll go out and I'll see them and I'll be like, yeah, those will be ready in another two weeks. I go out to get them, and you can see the deer nibbled him and ate him right off. So wild blueberries, raspberries, just everything. And something that I talked to you yesterday I forgot to tell you was in these encounters people say they've seen that it's happened by water. I forgot to tell you that that it's not that far away from a thing called dead Horse Creek. Dead Horse Creek is actually eight blocks. Now. I wouldn't even call it blocks because I'm in the country. It's it's a five or ten minute walk from my house. I can go to dead Horse Creek and it runs for a long ways and runs into Big Rascha Cree or Little Raschakree Lake. So yeah, it's just a really nice place to hunt that We've always shot deer there. We had places there that we nicknamed them certain spots, like seven point corners because there's seven corners there. The roads they're logging trails, they go different ways, and a lot of our family members or friends of the family shot deer there and never shot any dough. They always shot a seven point buck and it happened many times, so we called it seven point corners or seven points. So anyway we're we go in by Mike Bubla's because he has a an easement that goes in either you can get in another way, but you got to go way around and take Highway thirteen and kind of go around one of the lakes and come in the back way, and we just didn't like doing that. And we knew Mike Bubla since the sixties. He was friends with my grandma and grandpa, and he would open up his property for us to drive through there to get in, and so we go in there after we already picked our stuff up from the store. So this was just kind of a we were just going to go in there, take one lap around, kind of look around. You know. We weren't even really going to get out of the car because we just didn't want to. We just kind of wanted to go in there and have the brights on and the road these logging roads too. To give you some idea, are you can see down some of these roads twelve hundred yards. If seven hundred and sixty acres is twelve hundred yards, it probably is. I think I put a rangefinder on it a couple times, and it's beyond that. But the road is at some points thirty feet wide to fifty feet wide from woods to woods because the seven hundred and sixty acres butts up to another property that some people own. So it really works out good because people that we don't hunt with will be hunting in there part of the woods on the logging roads, and they'll chase the deer out into ours and they get shot at and run back into theirs, and it's a back and forth thing. So, and the road itself is maybe fifteen feet wide, twelve to fifteen feet wide, and we're just going down this road, you know, got the music really low, we got the windows up and we're just looking and he's got the uh, the bright's on, so we can see a long long ways and we weren't planning on shining or anything like that. You're not supposed to have guns in your vehicle twenty four hours prior to the rifle deer season. You're not supposed to shine deer twenty four hours prior to the deer season, and that includes shining with your headlights. So if you see deer in a field you're not really you'd probably get ticketed for turning around and using your car to to look at him, even if you don't have a gun, so we were trying to stay within rules and just take a look around. And it's, like I said, it's something we never did. I never remember one time that we ever went there the night before or the day before the season, just because that was always in our thought. And if we would have said something to my grandma, my grandma would say, no, stay the heck out of there. I don't want to spooking my dear or whatever, you know. So we did it. Anyway, We're going down the road and we get up till about seven point corners there, and we just kept going straight because we were taking a lap around. We were already down by a place called Reese's Field, which a farmer owns, and that's more on the south end. Yeah, and so we're up there, we're just going along, going along, and out of the blue, I mean, we're both got, we're both looking forward and for people listening too to think, you know, some people got didn't see something right, or it happened really fast. This did happen really fast. But I had my I have paperwork even showing it that back in ninety five I had twenty thirteen vision. The doctor said, he said, you got twenty thirteen visions. I thought something was wrong with my eyes, and he said no, he's like, I've never seen anybody be able to read those letters that you just read off there on that bottom chart. He's like, in twenty two or twenty six years whatever that he's been the doctor, he's never seen somebody read something like that fine print. So I'm just letting you know that I know what I've seen, even though it was a fraction of a second. And almost everybody in my family just nobody wears glasses unless they're over forty and they need them for reading. But everybody had really good long range vision. And the doctor told me, well, what you what somebody with twenty twenty vision can see? You can see it seven feet further away. I'm like, really, huh, no, wonder you know? I didn't know. So we're looking ahead and all of a sudden, from right to left, you see this. It took up the whole road. Yeah, it was far away. I would I would guesstimate two hundred and fifty to three hundred yards, probably three hundred yards, but we were kind of at the top. These these logging roads go up and down a lot, so you once you get to a top of one. You can see all the way to the end of the logging road where it hits the woods, which is probably beyond what most people can shoot. But anyway, I'm looking. Mount Patony's looking too. He's driving. I'm a passenger, and from right to left we just see this whole big, giant brown mountain lion. And I'm just gonna tell you right now mountain lion, because it took up the whole road. The tail was like four or five feet long. I don't know how long their tails are, but it was. It was so long, and it was so low to the ground that it was just hauling. But I mean, this thing, it cleared the whole fifty foot road, or maybe it was thirty foot at that point, but it was one leap. It like came out of the woods on the right side and it just leapt over the road all stretched out. You could see its front legs all the way out like Superman, and its back legs stretched out like it was flying across the road. And it was so low to the ground, but it was so big. It was like it looked like it was twelve feet long with that tail, and it was like that you know it happened in a flash, right, But we're trying to compute what we just saw. And my uncle Tony actually looks over and he's like, what, what in the heck did you just see? And I said, I saw a mountain lion. He's like, Okay, I'm just checking because that's what I saw too, And I'm like, they weren't. Just like, we can't believe it. You know, wolves weren't even I guess reintroduced here in the state until the early nineties. They put a small pack in, so I didn't even see a wolf in Wisconsin yet. And I've seen fissures and Pine Martin bobcats. I have never seen, you know, links in Wisconsin, but they say they have them too. But this wasn't a links. It wasn't a bobcat. It wasn't a house cat. It was a mountain lion. It was like two hundred pounds and it had the longest tail, just like a mountain lion. I mean. And the only mountain lion that I seen in the whild was this one. So I've seen him in zoos and I know they look like and We're just sitting there going like, oh my god, dude, we saw a mountain lion. You know, nobody's gonna believe us, and only maybe twenty to maybe. I was trying to think of the time yesterday when I talked to you, victim, it was probably twenty seconds to a minute. It's just hard to say the time, because it's everything slowed down. It's like it slowed down and sped up because it slowed down that we saw a mountain lion that I've never seen a mountain lion, you know, in nineteen ninety five in Wisconsin, and nobody nobody even said anything about them, and dn R didn't say anything, and it was just like all these things going through her mind, like, you know, we gotta tell them back then at the cabin when we get back, but they're not gonna believe us. And then Graham was gonna be like, why were you over on the hunting property and scaring dear Da Da Da da da, And it wasn't it wasn't but twenty seconds to him. Sixty seconds maybe after that, And when you seeing them out in mine, we were still going and we were only going ten to fifteen miles an hour, so we probably closed the distance another one hundred yards.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We could have been going even slower. I'm not positive, but we weren't going fast at all. We're just kind of at a crawl through there, and we're just like, I can't we saw a mountainline. My uncle Tony was saying, a cougar, but yeah, cougar, mountain lion, same thing. And we're just trying to get over the fact that that's that's what we've seen and how how are we going to explain this and nobody is going to believe it, no one, no one is gonna believe it. And so we're now we're about one hundred yards closer. We're probably two hundred yards away from where this thing we think crossed where we seen it kind of cross and then we kind of took a mental image. And we've all always done that. My grandma taught me that, like when you shoot a deer and it runs somewhere, don't get so excited that you lose track of where it ran in the woods. You want to keep your cool and your calm. And if you see it running somewhere market that's the last place you've seen it, or if it makes it into the woods, keep your eye on it until you can see that. You don't see the tail anymore, you don't see the deer, and remember, you know, stay sitted there and keep an eye on. Okay, that's the last place I've seen it, because if we have to track it, you might have to sit in that spot and tell the other person, Nope, go to the right, go to the left. Yep, right there is the last place I seen it, because it's hard to see it from when you get over there. Anyway, we're just about one hundred yards closer, and all of a sudden, from the same spot that we can tell that that mountain lion came jumping out and clearing the road in one leap, a giant black wolf's head comes out of the woods. So, like I said, the woods can be the woods can be maybe so fifteen feet fifty seven and a half feet, if you want to get technical, the woods can be seven and a half feet from the edge of the road up to fifteen feet or yeah, or twelve feet maybe. Because there's hazel nut bushes that grow along there, blueberries, all kinds of red raspberries, and tangles and just stuff like that that grows on the side of the row. Of these logging trails. Nobody goes out there and cuts it, so kind of grows wild. So when this head came out, it's I've seen its left paw come out first, touched just before, just before the edge of the road, and it had its ears back, so I couldn't see any ears sticking up, but I could tell. I thought it was a dog, for a giant, big dog, because that's what my uncle said, whose dog, you know? And it was like we barely got those words out and it was like, no, that's a wolf. Oh my god, there's a wolf. And just after getting those words out, it transition from So the mountain lion was like I said, maybe thirty inches. I mean, I guess when it was leaping across the road it looked taller off the ground. But this, this big black head you could tell, was probably two feet higher up than as far as the mountain lion jumped right. So when the head came out like that, you could tell how big it was. It was like, oh my god, do that is you know? Yeah, we're another one hundred yards closer too, maybe, you know, which made it look bigger, but it was just way beyond big than what I thought, and just all black. And I've never seen an all black wolf. The only black ones I seen were like in captivity, and they had really long legs and kind of were skinny looking. And this one wasn't like that. As we got out those words about like, oh it's a wolf, it's a it's like, you know, what's that doing out here? It was whose farmer? Whose dog is out? It just stood up from the four leg I didn't see the other legs because they were the back legs were in the woods yet, and just the front leg or I, like I said to Vic, I said, the paws weren't really pause people say raccoon hands or whatever. I call them pans like they were a cross between a paw and a hand, because I actually saw like hair on the fingers and long claws, but it kind of looked like a paw a little bit where the wrist kind of hinges, and so it when it stood up and stepped out, it stepped out. Yeah, yeah, I seen both legs. It stepped out and stood right up. And this thing was like easily my uncle Tony said the same thing. He might have gauged it a foot taller than me. I said, it was like seven or eight feet tall, because we were looking at some of the trees that had some overhanging branches. And I'll get to that later on. But the next day we did go back and check it some of the heights but it stood up. But oh wait, before it stood up, though, I forgot it actually from the car like shining toward it. I forgot to say, it turned its head. And this is when its ears were still down, so it tears were still down, and it was like stalking.
Speaker 4: Like like like anybody's anybody ever seen a wire hair pointer or a German short hair pointer the way they point birds.
Speaker 2: That's how it came out of the woods like it was like like it was stalking something like like a cat does sometimes gets down real slow and sneaks. That's how it looked. And its ears were down like that, and it's paw and it just turned its head, not ninety degrees at us. It only turned it like forty five degrees just to turn. Because I mean, we had bright shining all it lit up the whole road. The light was shining off the trees and actually some of the trees drape over the road, the branches overhang the road. So it's like a tunnel. So that's how bright it was. There was no problem seeing anything. And when it turned its head and looked like toward the car, you could just see I saw golden glowing hives. They weren't yellow, they weren't red, they weren't it wasn't eyeshine, it was golden. I didn't see a pupil. I didn't. I just saw a big round, golden glowing eyes, like almost like a mini flashlight that was coming out of there. But so it just kind of looked at us, like how do I wouldn't even say it looked. It just kind of looked that way for a second, like maybe I was thinking, like what's that coming? Or where what's that light? You know, That's kind of the way it looked. And then it just looked straight back ahead again to where that mountain lion we saw a run and that's when it stood up. And when it stood up, it took two steps to clear the road, so it was like one step and I could see both legs in the back, and the legs to me were just the upper legs looked like a running back's legs for like the NFL. I could see the muscles in them. I mean, yeah, two hundred yards is of distance. But I could see it clear as day with the high beams on it and everything. And when it stepped with the first foot, I could see the definition and the split between the leg the way when it stepped, I could see the muscles in between the upper quad or I guess that's what it's called, just kind of you could see the definition of the lines in it like a muscle. And then I could see it had that double I don't know, I guess it would be called a double hinged foot or whatever they call that, where it has a knee, but then it has that second leg just like a dog or even a rabbit. It's kind of longer leg, and you could I couldn't see those looked more like paused me, but just oversized paws. I didn't see like long finger claws like or cat claws on the bottom of the feet. It just looked like oversized giant feet. But it stood up like like, yeah, it's crazy the way it stood up. And when I explained it yesterday, I didn't explain it right either. I said it took two steps across the road. These steps were kind of like a leaping a leaping, gliding step. It's kind of hard to explain. Now. It wasn't floating, it wasn't paranormal like, but it was. It was so graceful and effortless. That's how it made it look like. The body mechanics of it, the way it was able to just take those two steps, and the way it stood up. Yeah, it stood up all the way, but it's still when it was stood up to me, it was still kind of hunched over a little bit the top of the shoulders, and I could I only seen the left arm and the left hand. My uncle said he saw both arms. Maybe because I was sitting in the passenger seat. He was in the driver's seat. The angle I had, I maybe couldn't see the other arm and the way it swung when and plus I was looking at the feet and the head and the ears, and but when it stood up, that's when the ears went up. The ears went up straight, and I could see like the tufts like on a linx, like they say a link, you know, links has those little pieces of fur up there. I could also see this before it stood up too tight. I could see its kind of ears moving around like it was trying to pick up noise or hone in on something. Sometimes a dogg will hear a noise and you'll see its ears kind of twitch around like where that come from. It was kind of like a radar. It was looked like it was doing, you know. But when it stood up like that, its ears definitely moved left and right and not. It wasn't even like uh at the same time. It was like one kind of went left, one kind of went right, one kind of like went upward and backward, and the other one is kind of like tilting forward and left and just a couple of funny things. And then it took those that other step, and like I said it, the way the way it took those steps was just it was effortless. It was just a gliding. It didn't even try to jump or run. It's just two effortless. I don't even really even know how to explain it, because it kind of almost you would say it looked floating, but it wasn't. It just like kind of like stepped with its leg, but as it stepped, it kind of like swung it along the ground, and it almost looked like one leg was floating. And then it touched and then the other leg was kind of like flung out and dragged and stepped. But then it got to the the left side of the road and had got into the woods. That's when when it stood up and I seen that and the glowing eyes. And it was after the glowing eyes I said to my uncle, that's a werewolf, because that's all I could think of, you know, I'm like, that's a were wolf. And he's like, no, that's not a were wolf. And know, I'm like, that is a werewolf, and he was actually said something like, that's somebody in a costume. Nobody is out here in the middle of nowhere at night in a costume. He's like, I know, I know. I'm just trying to.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We're just kind of debating back and forth, like what the heck is it. We got to go see what that is. I'm not getting out of this car, he said, I'm not getting out of it either, But we got to go up there and look, you know. And we were planning on doing that anyway, because for a second we said, well before them, before we even seen the dog man come out, we said, well, when we get up there, we're gonna look at those tracks. And we were gonna throw a soda can out on the side of the road even if we didn't see nothing, and look at it in the morning the next day after we were done hunting, to see if we could see those mountain lion tracks. Right, that was our plan. Well, after seeing the dog man, we're not throwing it out. We're not getting out, you know. We kind of marked it and got up to there, and we drove over. We looked into the woods. We didn't see anything. We couldn't see any tracks. There was a lot of leaves on the ground, and it was kind of a colder night too, I believe, and you really couldn't see much. And I don't even know if the mountain lion and left any tracks from the side of the road where it's grassy and like berries, and I don't know if it would even dig in well it left across, I don't know. Their paws are pretty soft. But I was thinking, well, the dog man, there's no way he's got to leave something. But when he had stepped on the road, I literally think the first step he took with his leg landed in the middle of the road, so there's like a six foot stride, so if the road's twelve to fifteen feet and he was on the edge of the road when he took the first step, he is in the middle of the road. Well, these roads aren't all sand. They're actually sand where the tires are, where the tires go, but in the middle it's all grass because people don't drive back there that much, so then you got grass and whatever. And sometimes in the middle of the roads there's wild strawberries that grow just in that little area patch. So the car's driving, you know, in the tire tracks, but underneath the car in the middle of the road there's wild strawberries that grow. Sometimes not in November, I'm sure, but but that's what I thought. I'm like, well, it should have left something. And then I thought, at the next step it took before it got into the woods, there's got to be some steps there. But we couldn't see anything. It was dark, I mean not dark dark, but when we got up to the spot, our brights are shining forward. We're kind of past the point of where we've seen it. So we kind of stopped with the headlights and the bumper just passed where it crossed. So it's tire. The tires were probably in line where we thought it crossed. I'm looking out my window. I'm like, I don't see anything. He's looking out his window, he don't see anything. Then we're both telling everybody, like, you know, we can't go back telling people we saw a dog man and no one's even gonna believe. We see it in a mountain lion. And they're just going to laugh at us, because every deer season somebody gets picked on. They just do. Like. We also have a rule. It's called shirttails if you miss a deer. If you shoot and you miss a deer, we cut a piece of your shirttail off. So the shirt you're wearing at camp gets a little piece cut off it, you know, so everybody gets weird stories or you know, we've had all kinds of crazy things happen for a deer season that people just do. You know, it's shooting a deer and find one drop of blood and they don't get it, well, you missed, that's a shirttail. So we're sitting there thinking, I mean, well, we're going to have to tell them we saw the mountain lion. We have to because that thing's going to be out here. Hunting, and I have a couple family members that are not in the greatest shape at the time. Like one of my aunts is, you know, kind of overweight. She doesn't go very far from the car, and she has foster kids that she takes out hunting because she was you know, she was growing up in that way with our family too, like take a good kid hunting, teach them some responsibility, teach them safety things like that. You know, I think keeping guns away from kids, no, you can't, you can't touch it, you know, creates a you know, it's just like, don't ever do that, And well it makes you want to do it because the parents said, why can't you do it? You know, but if you teach them a safe way, well anyway, that's why I'm sitting there thinking, we got to tell them we saw a mountain lion. And he's like, yeah, we'll do that, but they're not going to believe it. And my cousin Dennis had like abum knee and he's twenty some years in the National Guard, and I'm just it's like my grandma. I wasn't worried about her because she's been hunting her whole life and she shot antelope and mule deer and white tail and wild boars. And she shot almost all animals except over in Africa. But and she didn't even she was she didn't even hunt over in that area. She was hunting on the opposite end. And just I thought about some of the kids. Though. Some of these foster kids are only twelve, the sixteen, you know, So I'm like, oh, they could be out there, and who knows, you know, she she don't think there's a mountain lying around. Yeah, go ahead and take a pee, but make it fast, and you never know. I mean, they could snatch up a kid. One of her kids that she had up was very small. She was only like twelve years old and eighty pounds, a very small girl that she had that she took out hunting. So we're just trying to sit there and debate on who we're gonna tell and how we're gonna tell them. And then now we're gonna get in trouble for going back there and maybe scaring deer the day before deer season, and you know, they don't really like us doing that, and that I was against it and got it d da da, And then we're then and then we're sitting there thinking about, well, we got a hunt here tomorrow too, what if this thing is still around? That's what I was telling my uncle Tony. And he's like, well, I don't know, man, there's gonna be like twenty of us back here, and there's at least another dozen people that come up from Illinois, and I mean all these guns going off. He's like, that thing's not going to be around, or that mountain lion, it's long gone. And I'm like, yeah, I hope. So I mean start killing deer and there's gut piles laying around, it might it might stick around. Yeah, I wasn't thinking of that. You know, maybe it'll come back at night, you know, and some of us come hunting at you know. I always like to get in the woods before the sun comes up. I go in with a flashlight all the time, and even now I will, but I'm usually with somebody if I do that. So it was just crazy just trying to go through. They're not gonna believe we saw a mountain lion. There's no way we can even tell them we saw. I called it a werewolf because ninety five I don't think there was We knew about a dog man or anything like I was saying to Vic. I told him I believed in Sasquatch. I saw the video when I was a little kid. And my uncle Herman, He's he was a guy that like would go out and just camp in the Wasatch Mountains for like a whole month just to say he did it. He did a lot of crazy things. And he told me he saw a couple sasquatch before they even came into his camp and stuff like that. Well, he was one of the first I told before I told my grandma. I told my grandma, like I think it was. I think it was a year or two later, or I might have told her after your season about the dog band thing too, but I'm not positive. I did tell my uncle Hermit no, and he told me, He's like, you can't. You can't go around telling people that they're gonna think you're nuts like me. And I'm just like laughing, and I'm like, well whatever. So me and my uncle Tony we finally decide, well, we're gonna tell him that we saw mom and we have to because we saw it. There's no ifsands or butts, you know. And I was concerned a lot about the other one because mountain lions I know about. I know that they liked the stock up on, you know, things smaller than them and snatch them up and run off. And they're pretty silent and things like that, and or they could sit up in a tree and pounce down on you. But I don't know about a werewolf for a dog man, or how it hunts or what it does. So that was concerning for me too. So when we did get back and came inside and I told my aunt or I told, we told everybody were like where were you guys? Well, we went to get some land Jaeger's and beef jerky and some beer for after hunting tomorrow. And we went over by the hunting property over by Boublas. My Grandma's like, what he's supposed to go in there? And well, yeah, we only took one lap around. We only went like ten or fifteen miles an hour. But we got to tell you, you know, when we saw them outlining blah blah blah, They're just like, you guys are so full of crap. It's like, no, we really did. I swear, you know, mynt Tony's like, I swear to God, I swear to God, we did. And my cousin Ray, he was in Vietnam. He took three tours of Vietnam. He wasn't really scared of anything. He kept signing up to go back and he just I don't know, I can't believe he made it through one tour and then he went two more tours. But he wasn't scared of it. He's like, well, you know, if you're scared of them, you know, then they're gonna come after you. If you're not scared of them, and you want to look bigger than them and just don't put your in a sofa situation. He's trying to say, well, there hasn't been a mountain lion sighting in Wisconsin since way back in the eighteen hundreds or something like that. He was saying, we saw them, and he sure it wasn't a no, I said, links and bobcats don't have four or five foot tails. You know. It was like the same mountain lions almost looked the same color as a deer. They got the same brownish tan color or whatever. Yeah, they just they didn't want to believe it. Well, there was a few jokes going on to my aunt. My aunt was saying, well, I'm not going to go out of fire in the woods anyway. I'm just gonna sit over here by the road. And that's when I said, well, that's kind of where I saw it, where this is where we've seen it cross right here. And I really didn't want to feel comfortable with her sitting there, you know, watching the road. But nothing happened. Nobody ever seen it again. We didn't see it again. I never got any kind of fear out of it, like some people say, and I attribute that to I was in the car, the windows were up, they were locked. I felt pretty safe. Yeah. I didn't have a gun, but I had a knife, I had a flashlight. My uncle Tony was with me. I felt like if something like tried to get us, he'd be able to you know, outrun it or run it over or whatever, and we'd be able to get away. I didn't get that fear, but I did get the wow factor when it looked our way out of the corner of its eyes and they just I've never seen anything shine yellow like not glow, well, yeah, glowing and shining. It was almost like it had many lights inside its eyes, like it was crazy. That wowed me. I was like speechless, and then the ears came up and it stood up, and it went from being just a wolf to something that, hey, man, these ain't real, you know. The only thing next to sea is you know, a vampire trying to get us or something. It's just crazy that we see a mountain lion and then within a minute a dog man or a werewolf. That's like I said, that's what I call. My uncle Tony called it a werewolf too. He didn't know what it was, but every year after that, before deer season, we would talk about it, like if we see that thing and blah blah blah. And something I forgot to tell Vic yesterday was after that incident happened. My uncle Tony always hunted with a thirty thirty Winchester. Well, I have a three hundred weather be mag that my grandpa left me when he died. It was one of the older models, a really nice one, the Mark five action with the rosewood tips on it and got it out really really nice gun. A three hundred weather be mag would a scope and all that. He switched from the thirty thirty to the three hundred weather Be opening morning because he said, if I see it I want to have some extra firepower to knock it down, you know. And I use the two seventy Winchester, which I know is enough to take anything. I mean, I've shot deer four hundred and fifty five hundred yards with it and dropped them right there. So plus I handload my own AMMO, and I even handloaded for the weather Be. I handloaded for the thirty thirty. But yeah, it was that was just something that I forgot to tell Vic yesterday about. My uncle Tony was definitely concerned about that, and he's like, hey, can I use the Can I use your three hundred weather Be? And that that gun was like, it's sentimental to me, very sentimental. And it was made in like I believe late fifties or early sixties when Roy Weatherby first started making them, so it only had a four digit serial number. I was kind of apprehensive. I don't want I'm scratching in or falling. No, No, I won't, I won't. Yeah, okay, fine, Yeah, I let him hunt with it just because of that, and I was I was definitely more aware when I was out there, but it really didn't affect my hunting. And another thing that's strange is I saw twenty three deer opening day, not one buck. I had twenty three deer come out some of them, so there was actually a herd of like six of them. All those they stood within fifty yards of me watching another hunter that was going into his standard, walking into the woods, and they didn't even see me, and I had them each one. I'm lying up looking at him in my scope. Yeah, oh boy, I'd like to take you who you're fat one. And there was probably like seven people that had a Hunter's Choice that year in our party, but nobody wanted their deer shot for him. Opening weekend. They said no, no, no, we want to shoot our own. I was like, well, you guys are going to be eating tag soup then, because it gets harder to see deer after O weekend. Opening weekend, they don't know what to do. They're running everywhere because they're getting shot at, and then they finally find sanctuary to hide and that's what they do. And yeah, it's gonna get harder to get one. And yeah, twenty three to year opening day. Fortunately me and my uncle Tony though we did. Everybody went home on Sunday night and came back up after Thanksgiving, me and my uncle Tony and my grandma stayed up the whole week, the whole nine days, and my grandma shot a doe. We were Me and my uncle Tony did a small drive on by our property and did the small drive. My grandma got a doe, my uncle Tony shot a doe. And then on Thanksgiving Day, me and my uncle Tony went back on the neighbor's property behind us, who owns eighty acres and mountcle Tony said, well, I'm gonna walk all around bow across dead Horse Creek, and then I'm gonna sneak back see if I can push something to you. Two hours go by and I don't see him. I'm like, what the heck's going on? There's a long drive. Well, all of a sudden, I hear a shot go off, and I see out of the corner of my eye a white flag and it's a deer. It's a deer coming. It's running toward me from far away, I mean, way across this eighty acres of oak, and I was up in a big tree stand that I kind of just comming deer for that day. I did have permission to hunt back there. He wasn't back there, the owner, but this deer came running toward me and it stopped and it was looking around, and all of a sudden, a shot goes off. Uncle Tony shot at it, and the deer just runs about within one hundred yards of me, and I shoot and I drop it, and he was like, but he was yelling, it's coming your way, It's coming your way, and this deer was just running. Man. That thing was really out of breath by the time it got to me, and it was a five point fuck and my grandma was back making Thanksgiving dinner that day. But yeah, so we got three deer that year. That was like one of our worst years. And I me and my uncle Tony, we attributed that to that dog man wolf where wolf Mountain lion thing is like just bad luck because we never shot that few of deer in a season out of usually is seventeen to twenty five people hunting, and I think that year we had twenty people, twenty one people, and we only got four deer. Usually we get at least half ten, you know, twelve thirteen deer, and we only got that the whole season, so it was like and we didn't even shoot any deer over there. And that's the first year before or since that we've seen that sighting of that thing. Years after that, no problem. We've got lots of deer in there, but that year, Nope, didn't get anything. So I mean that's that's pretty much what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a big number of hunters to only come out with. So if you deer, I agree. If you've had a dog mean encounter that you need help dealing with, or if you'd like to be a guest on the show, please go to Dogmanencounters dot com and submit a report. If you've had a bigfoot sighting, we'd like to be a guest on one of my two big foot podcasts, please go to my Bigfoot Sighting dot com. What's the understory that woods?
Speaker 2: Like? The understory?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is there a lot of brush or is it pretty open?
Speaker 2: Well? I said, it has oak rolling ridges with big oak trees with rolling ridges in there. It has spots where it's dogwood and tamarack. I don't know what you if you know what that is, it's uh, they kind of look like birch trees. They're white, but they really don't get much bigger around than your wrist or your forearm, and they're really close together, you know, they're like really close together, Like I mean, a deer can squeeze in through it. And there's probably a section of it that's probably well, I don't know, twenty acres of it, and it's the area in there where it's kind of swampy or pete mossy like on the other end of it, there's like a lot of pine trees and stuff, and then there's a few open areas, you know, but it's the perfect place to hunt, like I said, with the stream that runs through there too, they got water. And then on the on the end of it by Reese's Field, which is would have been behind us when we were going down the road. Reese's Field. That guy he planted corn there every year and they lived in Chicago and they only came up opening weekend, so the would have corn and just acorns galore too. I mean, you wouldn't believe how many acorns would be all over that place that these deer were eating. So it's sure to see twenty three deer opening morning, I was just astounded. I never seen that many deer, but it's like I didn't see any books. I've never seen twenty three deer before, so it was kind of like a blessing and a curse all at once. I could have shot almost every single one of them, but everyone's like no. I was like, I saw so when I took my break and I went back for hot chocolate and coffee and something like that, I went back to the car at well, I don't know, ten o'clock or something, and I'm like, yeah, I saw like eight deer already. Why don't you shoot it? Well, nobody wants to. They said they didn't want the tag filled yet, and they're like, oh, well, yeah, that's true. You know it is opening weekend, it's early. I'm like, well, that's what I said. You guys are going to be eating tag soup, and when you're gonna be crying that, you know you should have me shoot it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that they would be. And yet you did mention that the woods had all those small trees and that brush, but you never did say how denseil was. So that's why I didn't know. Did the dog Man come out of the woods at the exact same spot where the Mountain Lion did, or a little bit different of a place it did?
Speaker 2: Come out at the from what we could tell. When we went back the next day we measured it up. We couldn't see any tracks. We couldn't see nothing because we didn't go there like when light was up. We actually went to our hunting spots, to our stands. Even though I wanted to look at that and check it out, I just felt like, well, there's not a lot of people driving down the road. We only seem like maybe uh two vehicles maybe that day, and they didn't even go so if they would have crossed the tracks, they didn't go back that way out, so they went across it once and then they can actually turn into their property. They were probably from over there. And then another one turned over by seven point corners and then went out that way toward Mike Boubla's property, which is the way out of the property. But me and my uncle Tony around the afternoon after we sat and I saw a deer and I was like, man, and I told him too, and he saw a bunch of dose too, And he didn't have a tag. I didn't have a tag and all that. That was the year too that he was getting married and he didn't have a lot of money. And I actually paid for his hunting license, which was one hundred dollars, so out of state was like one hundred bucks. And he's like, well, I really can't come down unless you're gonna pay for my I was like, yeah, I got you, man, I got you. So yeah, we went back and we looked and looked and looked, and we couldn't see nothing. And like I said, the ground was really hard too. It was, Yeah, it is sand, but it's like hard sands, it's not kind of like we got a few spots around. Maybe just down the road from me, there's another part that the DNR owns, and this is probably like maybe fifteen hundred acres. It's probably twice as big as this place. But they've already clear cut it twice, and they planted like pine trees in rows, but they did leave some bigger oaks so to kind of leave it like an old growth forest. But the place we hunted at was old growth forests. This place probably wasn't clear cut for eighty or one hundred years or something like that, you know, so it had a lot. It was like, this is the best hunting ever.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a nice woods. I saw that dog man how long did it take you to start thinking about all the time you'd spent in those woods without even knowing what could have been out.
Speaker 2: There Opening Day? That night, when I got back home, it was pretty hard to sleep because I was thinking about the next day. I mean, in the early eighties, we all sat, you know. My grandma basically taught me to sit on a stump or a log or something like that. We didn't really have deer stands in the eighties. They did for bow hunting, but not for rifle hunters. Nineties came along, everybody started stand hunting. I was one of the first to stand hunt, so in ninety five I was in a stand. A lot of my other party members didn't hunt and stand yet, so I felt pretty safe being in the stand. And my stand was like eighteen feet I mean, I like, I said, that's probably not too high up for a werewolf, dog man to get me or a mount lion. But usually I hunt in an area where I can see pretty good because I like to shoot more of a distance. So yeah, that Opening day, I was just man, you know, thinking, well, if it comes up on me, what am I gonna do? You know? And yeah, it's just now I know a little more about it, but back then it was very It was. It was just concerning. That's why I told you I was worried about other family members, like where they were sitting. And you know, not only the Mountain Lion, it was that dog man. Because I don't know anything about it. They don't tell you. Well, in my greats tier every year, and you know, it has these many pups and they weigh such and such, and you know they like the taste of people. I don't know, you know, So yeah, not knowing that it was the biggest thing in my mind, not knowing do they want to get you? Could they snatch you up and run away and nobody see you again? From what I seen, like I said, with them legs on it, it had legs like a running back like I don't know, not like an Emmitt Smith, but like a Terrelle Davis. I mean, big, huge, muscular, just cut legs. I could see the definition and the tone and the ripples in it, even in the shoulder, in the arm. You know, I probably didn't state that before. But and then the fur from the neck that came down was like a smoky grit. Well, yeah, it was like a black, all black until it got down to the waist and then marked towards the feet. I could see like a gray or a silver white. Even when certain people get gray hairs, they get white hairs instead, kind of like that. But it was a salt and pepper but it was mostly all black, like they say, it's like charcoal black that it blends in with the It was almost looked like a shadow like you know, like like they would say paranormal, but I could tell it wasn't paranormal. I could see it breathe. I could see it take a breath too, when you know, it stood up and stepped across the road and just all that. I mean, I didn't see big teeth or a yawn or a grin or nothing, because we were pretty far down the road. I'm sure our lights, I would think our lights were blinding it. It didn't know, And we were in a little Geometro three cylinder car that doesn't make a lot of noise and gets super gas mileage, so it's not very loud, so you can't even really hear it running. I'm like existing running, you know, so I mean, I'm sure we have better hearing, but yeah, it was I don't know, just yeah, I definitely thought about it, and me and my uncle Tony, we talked about it every year. That's why we're like, man, we should go hunt that thing one day. And you know, it wasn't until like year two thousand. I think it was about that two thousand and two thousand and one that I actually might have been ninety nine. Yeah, when I had a computer. I got my own computer, and I was looking it up and doing research on it. That's when I was saying that I'm like, we should go hunt that thing, and then if we get one, you know, we could turn it in and prove to everybody they do exist and then make sure not everybody's out there killing them or blah blah blah. Maybe they could study it or Yeah. Another story I had too is it's kind of funny, is when I was a kid, I got to be plus on it. My teacher said she wanted us to write a story on what we want to be when we grow up. Well, I wrote down that I was gonna get a sasquatch, turn it in and I would be rich off it, you know, and go on the news and all that donated to the museum. And she gave me credit for originality and stuff, but she said I should probably shoot for something more realistic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say so. Well, I tell you what, Bruno, We're about out of time. But before we get out of here, do you haveney clothes and comments you want to put out there for us?
Speaker 2: No, just that you know, I I came on here because not that I was traumatized from it. And again I may have been if I was in a different situation, if I was outside the car, or sitting in the woods all by myself like some of these people, or taking my dog out to go to the bathroom, and you see it, especially unarmed, I would feel Yeah, I don't know, but I mean I saw it way longer than I saw the mountain lion, right, And I know for a fact I saw a mountain lion, so I had to have seen a dog man. And my uncle was with me, and I wish he was still alive he died in twenty fourteen, because he would have told you the same story that just about to the tee, the exact same because you know, I mean we both described it the same way. He saw a few other things details that I didn't see, like he saw the right arm. He saw a couple other things I can't remember off hand, but that he noticed that I didn't, and of how big it was. That's why he switched to a different gun. And that's why I'm on here to let people know that I've told so with you, it's you're the eighth person I've ever told this story too, since nineteen ninety five, And the only other people I told were really close friends, So I never really got drunk at a party and like, hey, why aren't tell you a story? Where old? But I saw no. I mean, the only people I ever told were like, really really close friends, and I know they believed the cougar the mountain lion, and they did. A couple of them did tell me they believe me. They believed I saw it, but a couple of them was like, I don't know, man, I don't know. But it's just that I feel like people should know what I saw exist and if it was an apparition that looked like it was flesh and blood, I don't know. I don't know what they are or I've never seen one since. I mean, there's so much unexplained that you just don't know. We don't have one, so we can't tell, but I know I saw it. You know, I've never seen a ghost, but I've seen this, and I've seen a mountain lion, and I've seen a moose, and i've seen an elk. You know, I'm seeing black beers, grizzly bears, porcupines, all that stuff. And I just want people to know that it is real. It's it's as real as you and me and me. And you had that talk too, and I said, well, you know, I think if I ever went out to try to hunt one or catch one or shoot it or whatever, and you're like, well, when they don't want to be seen, they don't want to be seen, And yeah, that may be true, but you know, I think if it is flesh and blood and it does bleed, you can kill it, but you know, you got to hit it in the right spot. And I think some of these people that say, well I shot it, I know I hit it. I know there's people that say they shot a deer, but we never found any blood. We never found a deer. And you got to remember, too, you're gonna shoot it something that doesn't exist. So if you don't believe it exists, how can you believe you can shoot it. You have to accept that it exists before you're gonna be able to hit it. That's my thoughts. I don't know, that's just if you don't believe it's real. I don't know if you're gonna believe you're gonna be able to hit it or believe you're gonna be able to kill it. I think you have to believe that it is real, and you need to take the extra steps, you know, just like they tell you, you know, take the safety off, take a nice breath, let it out, you know, don't jerk the trigger, don't yank the trigger. I've seen people shoot at a ten point buck one time with an m one car being and they had buck fever and they emptied all fifteen rounds out of the clip because there's a rear peep site and a front blade site. They looked over the front peep site and just looked at the front post and emptied their clip. So nerves happen, man, and something like that. I could see it definitely happen. If you didn't find blood. I just if they can bleed and they can die and they are flesh and blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see something like that. It does make it that much more difficult to get an accurate shot on.
Speaker 2: That's why I thought about that a lot too. I thought, if I was in the woods, I talk a big game, you know, would I be able to pull off keeping us steady? You know? That's my grandma taught me though. She's like, you don't look at the horns. You see a big buck out there, you aim your shot, you put it in there. You go for the right and the boilers and the lungs or in the heart. You go through your steps, you take your shot, and then when you're done hitting it, then you can do you're celebrating or look at the horns or your trophy or whatever. That's just a bonus. But you want to make a good shot, and that's you got to be the bullet, I guess, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Well, easier said than done when you're shooting at some like that. But Bruno, I can't thank you enough for coming on to share the details of that experience with us. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope it makes somebody be more aware and cautious when they go out. I don't know, with these missing four one to one things and or not even that, but just people going missing or getting lost. You know, carry a compass, carry a sidearm, or have somebody with you, carry a side arm, some kind of protection. You know, be prepared. The mother nature is not something to mess around with. And when you're out there, then you're susceptible to father time and he doesn't play either. So I don't know. I just feel like it's not like you're not at a grocery store. You're not at your house. You can't just call nine one one. You might not get a signal on your phone, or so many things could happen. You could cut your leg open and bleed to death before anybody gets to you, not even just a dog man. I don't know. I'm just saying, be more, be more vigilant, pay attention more when you're out there. I wish I would have paid attention more for some other times too, because some other strange things happened that I kind of just wrote off, and I'm like, I wonder if that was maybe something, But you know, you don't know now because you didn't pay attention to those signs before.
Speaker 1: So well, you can't be faulted for that. I mean, we've all done, things like that where we should have turned left when we turned right, so don't be too hard on yourself. But having said that, thanks again so much for your time Bruno, and have a great night.