Speaker 1: Presenting Orson Wells as the Third Man, the lives of Harry Lyon the Fabulous stories of the immortal character, originally created in the motion picture The Third Man with zither music by Anton Karra.
Speaker 2: The world, the poet says, is so full of a number of things. He showed we should all be as happy as kings. Luckily, the world, so full of such a number of other things, is also pretty generously loaded with suckers.
Speaker 3: What my children is a sucker.
Speaker 2: A sucker is a licenus chump who likes to gamble as long as it's a sure thing. Do I need to tell you that the surest thing in the world is that a sure thing can't be sure that little closer, Friends, you're crowding the pavements, let me tell you about it.
Speaker 1: And now Orson Wells has Harry Lyons the Third Man and gets a knockout.
Speaker 4: Why are you mount to me?
Speaker 2: Harry?
Speaker 3: See there?
Speaker 2: Yes, one that's not here is side pop that stands Herece that's turn a little sucker and puller.
Speaker 3: Croom not bad looking if.
Speaker 2: He keeps your mind on your business.
Speaker 3: Now, Jen, he's worth if he's thirty thousand to me.
Speaker 4: If you do as I kill you, don't worry, Harry.
Speaker 3: I'll have him in Havana.
Speaker 4: Where's thirty thousand on a plate? Inside of forty eight hours?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, I'll be waiting for him. Now, try and get a seating him on the plane, and don't forget me. You meet me in Havana.
Speaker 3: I'm not Harry Lyon, I'm Jay Harrington Line the Wall Street turned through M.
Speaker 5: And H.
Speaker 2: When an American businessman like Stan Pearcecu's on a Florida vacation and finds himself sitting on the plane next to a pretty girl, he makes my work pretty simple for me. I ain't known she'd be able to pick him up easily. She was telling him the story I coached her in the next night in the farther the nightclub, but I kind he was ready to believe anything she told him.
Speaker 4: JN just say over hearing MA, i'man over there, Oh Stan, I'd love to, but you don't know my boss. I've got to fight at Cube the first thing tomorrow money to get him the contract. And he sent me to New York for if I'm not there.
Speaker 3: Out h sound like a slave driver. I begrudge you well there in the summer.
Speaker 4: Here and said Jay hangings the line as a sinker, especially to his secretary.
Speaker 3: Ye June Lime, you said, that's the mamason, I should have heard of it. Only if you work in Wall Street, you least have just stick here. Why don't you quit your job?
Speaker 6: That's what I wanna do.
Speaker 4: The only thing I wanna do is make some money before I do.
Speaker 3: Only I could just figure a way to do. Ah.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not sure that I Oh, I'm being silly walk Oh.
Speaker 3: I started to think I shouldn't.
Speaker 4: Tell you about it, for I don't know why I shouldn't. You don't know it's a Lime, after all, we won't see him anyway. Besides, and you're nice.
Speaker 3: I like you.
Speaker 4: I should think I can trust him.
Speaker 3: If you heard your cam they got night in. Well.
Speaker 4: You see, mister Lion's a great sportsman. Loves to gamble on the fights, the races, almost anything.
Speaker 3: Might of fight me too.
Speaker 4: Well anyway, so mister Lion's got this big power to the place in Cuban near Havana, you know, mink Lion swimming pool, tennis.
Speaker 3: Court, the work and right on his estate.
Speaker 4: He is found that one of the works when a Cuban is a wonderful boxing m So his name is Prancho Cordorbus. He's really good at least. I don't know much about boxing, but the trainament's the Line brought down, and I'm a doctor and everybody they all say Pancho will be a world champion.
Speaker 3: You really just because it's funny.
Speaker 5: I never heard of him.
Speaker 4: It's not funny. It would be funny if you had heard of him. He's had ten fights, won everyone by a knockout. But don't you see, mis the Line just keeps him under wrap. All his fights were held in secret.
Speaker 3: SA I don't yet it sure, So.
Speaker 4: When mister Line marches him in New York, he'll be absolutely unknown. He's trying to get him matched up against top boys, and whoever this Pancho fight, mister Lion will be able to get simply wonderful odds.
Speaker 7: See I'm beginning to but I'll see how you figure to make any money out of this?
Speaker 3: How are you going to let me tell him? In secret? Of course?
Speaker 4: Now mister Lymoy is trying to get his guests to bed against him. He takes Pancho and he'll give big odds because he's so sure of Pancho. Pancho has agreed with me that he'll lose this next fight. If I give him the word, he'll.
Speaker 5: What's the expression?
Speaker 6: Take that done?
Speaker 4: That's it for a price, mister Lyon has been giving him a purse of five stout and every time he wins, we agreed I give him twice that if he.
Speaker 3: Loses, miss Lime. He gives good odds on Pancho.
Speaker 4: Last time he was trying to find take his at ten to one.
Speaker 3: How can you lose?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Isn't it awful? That's awful. It's a smart steam for the girl to saw that and watched the hitch.
Speaker 4: Well, even with all my savings, I couldn't win enough to pay off Pancho.
Speaker 3: Besides, now you have got to have someone the near betty propet exactly, sir. I guess I just have to stick him a.
Speaker 6: Job for a while longer.
Speaker 3: What would you say if I offered to put out some of the capital for you?
Speaker 4: No, and you've got that kind of money?
Speaker 3: Sure thing like this? Sure before it's stan.
Speaker 4: Look, I'll give you all my savings right now, really a thousand dollars if you can only help me out, all right?
Speaker 3: You know, which is a bigger thing.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, well, let's have a drink on it. Shall we celebrate our partnership.
Speaker 3: Stan, You're wonderful.
Speaker 4: And sure you'll be able to raise some cash to bit this.
Speaker 3: Kind of a prophisition. I love thirty thousand dollars cash at least.
Speaker 4: Oh stand, how wonderful.
Speaker 2: How wonderful? Yes, and b especially for me, Harry lyone. I always find it refreshing to relieve a rich sector of money. Wit makes he's gonna steal from someone else. Jenny had done well. She got to stand there, so it was a cuba. Within the forty eight hours, she promised, the hook was baited. Poor fish was about to buy.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Either you're commonly lucky. You serting me on an expert on cock fights.
Speaker 3: Just luck, mister lyon beginners. As a matter of.
Speaker 7: Fact, this is the first time I ever saw the birds fight in my life.
Speaker 3: You don't say that's that's seventy five dollars you want for me? There you are? What was your name again? Pier? San Pier from Cleveland? Have many insurance.
Speaker 2: Games, Uh, Pierce, you like boxing and much gold.
Speaker 3: I get to the fights whenever I can. Where are you staying mister Piers, the Nationals aer uh well file good night.
Speaker 2: To night peers, and President Chatty Media. Maybe I will undertake to win that seventy.
Speaker 3: Five dollars back from you.
Speaker 2: It's important to handle a chump with artistic appreciation. Limousines country estates expensive, but for me, I regardlessly legitimate business deductions.
Speaker 3: I wanted to make sure this chump fierce was.
Speaker 2: Impressed, even that a half dozen peals on it or dressed up to the nines pretending to be my weekend guests.
Speaker 3: Charming people, all of them really very capable of giving my.
Speaker 2: Chump a good time, flattering him, making him feel nice and secure. First I've had him munch and I go to Vana Sagard and we went forristrol, our whole party, and I let them casually down to especially outfitted training quarters.
Speaker 3: Try general, Is that why you were asking me if I went to past five Land?
Speaker 2: What are you think of him as fast? Isn't he I call him young francho. Of course, I don't know there's any good and out here for a single Fightn't I mean?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, he looks so sure I have swarm.
Speaker 3: No, he's he's finding the first time next Thursday. You've heard of kid Bert, I understand what's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I've gotten him to come over and go a few rounds with young Francho. I'm making up a purse for the winner.
Speaker 3: And you've never got a fight? Yeah, how do you know your boy hasn't got a class jo? I don't feers.
Speaker 5: That's what I hope to find out next Thursday.
Speaker 7: Harry off the kid Birks record and seeing that young Pantro has never had a fight. I hate to do it, but I might take some of your money away from you to friendly wager'.
Speaker 3: A slime general. You'll see what is the odds work for?
Speaker 7: Maybe I could give you a chance to win back your seventy five dollars.
Speaker 3: Mister live, who the murder? Excuse me? And that's Fears. I'm really sorry. I shouldn't be laughing. I was just amused at the idea, that's all idea. What well, don't you see?
Speaker 2: I was planning to make up the first of ten thousand dollars on the fight, any side bets that I could place on Panchoid. I want to make sure that my wedding can come of the birds, don't you see seventy five.
Speaker 3: I might possibly be able to better stake that will interest you. Oh, that'll be fine, It's fierce fine.
Speaker 2: Nothing better calculated to make it something fish Nothing better calculated like a fish leap for the book than the twitch the betaway as though he maybe isn't going to get a chance to grab it. I was hoping PiS's deck was hot up his collar as I walked away after giving him that little brush. I wanted to give him a chance to talk to Jenny without anybody else around. Sure enough, I could see him moving over to each side.
Speaker 3: Well, what do you think, Stan, he's had th Spancho's first fight coming up. Oh he always tells people that, didn't you see.
Speaker 4: That's the way they like to bet a lot more money on him. That's the kind of a man he is.
Speaker 3: That's the reason I hate him so much. I see what you doing? Well, say here he comes?
Speaker 4: Who Oh, Pancho, come a stop. Pancho had a good workout.
Speaker 3: He was fine. I can fish, I ever.
Speaker 4: Feel now, don't forget Pancho third round. That's our agreement. What you say, Oh, don't worry about Sam.
Speaker 3: He's my partner in the deal. Is he safe?
Speaker 4: Oh sure, say to the bank Sam, shake hands with Pancho.
Speaker 3: This is Senor peers about then he takes too many people find out. Now, don't worry.
Speaker 4: Punch as I said, it was all right, sound now that's our bottom.
Speaker 3: Okay, but it's not I feel it of I was going it with you. Jenny looks good to me. Oh wonderfu on that lime. He got me a little sore. I'm gonna show him. I'll take him for plenty.
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 7: I'll have to convert some bonds and maybe borrow a few bucks, but I think I can work it so that I.
Speaker 3: Can put my hands on forty five thousand dollars. Oh scare yeah, good odds say? And a wrong wheel tree.
Speaker 4: Oh if it's so much, I can't even think of it. Oh damn, I just want to kiss you.
Speaker 3: Okay with me, honey?
Speaker 4: Can you get those bonds or whatever they are converted in time to the fight.
Speaker 7: That's the next Thursday, you think, So I should be able to get a draft on my bank from one of the banks here.
Speaker 3: In Havana, and my thousands.
Speaker 4: You still have it?
Speaker 2: Not safe?
Speaker 3: Don't you worry about?
Speaker 7: You can feel like that, honey, But next Thursday, you'll be an easiest street in the biggest house in the block.
Speaker 3: You see what you get just by being a little rude.
Speaker 2: I figured this jump is good for thirty thousand, and now he's begging to give me forty five. And could have told him that the bank of event it would be efficient, unfortunately efficient for him by Thursday afternoon, stand Pierce, my fine fat little Cleveland insurance.
Speaker 3: There has forty six.
Speaker 2: Thousand dollar bills in his pocket, one of them mine that I give him to Jenny to gift to him, and the rest of them his, which would end up in my pocket, for he thought that.
Speaker 5: Was Orson Wells returns.
Speaker 1: In just a moment, there's the third man, and now Orson Wells as the third man continues with it's a knockout.
Speaker 3: So it's dinner time, dinner time, and over the brandy.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to start accepting bits.
Speaker 3: Well general five to one, then I'll tell you one. I'll make it fifteen to two. Hey, what's the matter? Can I get any action from you?
Speaker 6: Gentlemen?
Speaker 3: I don't have those are nice harks? Suppose I bet twenty five thousand I'm taking?
Speaker 2: Wow, Well, just just just give you twenty five to Jenny here, and he's my end.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 4: I don't want to carry this money all around?
Speaker 3: Ye yeah, take a little sature. You have to stop it in there. Well, John, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure I trust you.
Speaker 4: I thunder man.
Speaker 3: I'll give you ten to one. I'll take those hogs misch line.
Speaker 5: What's that? Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh Pierce?
Speaker 2: Well fine, sa fine, I'll take you seventy five dollars too, if I got me a lodger action from these gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Wait, John Burke's four to six thousand.
Speaker 2: Dollars, mister Lyon of fine, fine, you've got cash, of course, give it to Jenny here, and Jenny here's my end.
Speaker 4: Listen, iime, I hate to be carrying all.
Speaker 5: This money heavy, is it?
Speaker 3: Jenny?
Speaker 4: All right? Sent Piers?
Speaker 2: Suppose you'll be appointed crustodian of the stakes? Well, cop, come on, no, I'm on, old man.
Speaker 3: I'm sure everyone here trust you just just about. Can I get you more action? If not?
Speaker 2: That's just one more thing I want to say before we all go.
Speaker 5: To the ring.
Speaker 2: Maybe Jefferson friends, you all understand that the trust this fight is private, not being conducted under any boxing commission rules for that reason, it's a little irregular. As a matter of fact, our Cuban police friends would quite possibly feel that it's legal.
Speaker 3: You wont understand, General, That's why I couldn't take your check.
Speaker 2: Well, friends, I presume I can trust you not to mention that the entertainment was held out here. Yes, to protect the licenses and the fighters and the managers involved.
Speaker 3: I have your assurance. Then that's dog all fight's about to start.
Speaker 2: Piers got those stakes, all right, let's go. Sheer delight to watch peers scary as actual you ever watched the manager no is guilty trying to act innocent? Brothers are the first time Pierce has ever tried neck that down through the garden where the ring was set up. There were perhaps three dozens of us, fifty all together coming the train is the seconds the reperee, and all of them, of course ian on.
Speaker 3: My little scheme except just one. It's to stand Piers. Fortunately they went all on my payroll. They were friends. Camber's confidence man.
Speaker 2: The girl's anxious to do me a favorite, anxious to to watch the fun fight is the ring now repert he's talking and I have to watch them.
Speaker 3: But I have to watch Peers too. First round fighters pretending just to feel each other out.
Speaker 2: Plants is putting on a show of fancy. What work, of course the two fighters I've hired, but on a good show.
Speaker 3: It's artistic.
Speaker 2: We can't have Fiers getting worried about my rod when fact he needs to dive for pears. I know just what he's doing.
Speaker 3: He's beeaking how long around takes three minutes, multiplying that by the number of round Fantses agreed to go before he pretends to be knocked out, adding the minute between rounds.
Speaker 2: He's thinking in less than ten minutes, he'll be collecting in bed ten minutes.
Speaker 3: That's because Francher went down on his knees, burke rady clipt and look look to that. Peers is just as happy he didn't bet on what round Pantcher lives in.
Speaker 2: There, goes s Fancher again on the canvas.
Speaker 6: When he got he's up at five.
Speaker 3: Piers looks worse than Fancier. Does you know Pierce is stealing his feet, making sure the central is still. They're looking around furtively thinking a really trusty, silly smile on his face. I'll just speak to him and see what he says, well, how about it, Fierce enjoying the fight.
Speaker 2: Sure what just looks I don't worry about you time ship fish, he'll be all right.
Speaker 6: I had to go again.
Speaker 2: Time show ups as though he's got to cut open up under his eye. They probably want another ten dollars from me that she show pretty.
Speaker 5: Boy good lucks of fat.
Speaker 2: Look at Fierce, just to look at Fierce now that he's adding up his property forty six thousand and ten to one and four hundred and sixty thousands, ten thousand Potanchio. He's four hundred fifty thousand split two ways with Jennimy six queer GROSSI two hundred and twenty five.
Speaker 3: Thousands back of rus Nor.
Speaker 2: Fan goes down again, and Burg's got a pretty right hand at that just reaches out.
Speaker 3: And down goes oh Fan shoe on him.
Speaker 2: And put a poor at that time, I better get more worried.
Speaker 3: Looking here's might suspect something, Yeah, and looking at me all right, watch his right, not y'all watch it right.
Speaker 2: I hope I look second, if he is watching the fighters again, fighters flanship, he's seen one of those powdered pump fighters all flick and fluff.
Speaker 3: No real sock to him.
Speaker 2: Burke could land him in one round fighter square rattle. Pars is breathing hortter than either of the fighters, always looking over at me.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe I'm better. You're many people to say it still in the snes Oh hard least I know.
Speaker 2: Now my boy doesn't have a glass job here, and I just can't understand. Let's come over plant Shore tonight. He seems sluggish, maybe he's overtrained.
Speaker 3: Maybe she just seems sort of slow. This is rich now Pears is worried. He's scared. Fan shoill make me his fishes? Round three as is h it happened. Look at his hand groping to.
Speaker 2: Make sure he's still got that actual thinking as plain. We can reach right out in gram two hundred twenty five thousand.
Speaker 3: Dollars, greedy boy, I'm far more restrained all I wanted. You're forty five about so I say.
Speaker 2: More attention to fight lancers laughs in Burke's face, takes a right across fancy back hands are down.
Speaker 3: Show us O.
Speaker 2: Franc's got his wide open there to like that. Now they're right from Burke cats a punch on the side.
Speaker 3: Of the head.
Speaker 6: He looked close and now hounds a moment.
Speaker 3: For Burke to step in his measuring fan show.
Speaker 5: There it comes a terrific right and it hai.
Speaker 3: Branch of Ducks under dances.
Speaker 4: Away, and the crowd wants to know what happens to Burke.
Speaker 3: They pretend they don't understand. Peers he's done?
Speaker 2: Why Burke is down on his back, blood spreading out of his mouth? Why that poly doctor should be in the ring Patagon, silond bird?
Speaker 3: What happened to me? Go stam it at will the doctor on that seat?
Speaker 5: There might happened this man's hemorrhaging.
Speaker 3: He's in very bad shame. But I have a touch in friendship puts on a very good Airparents, you didn't need to touch him.
Speaker 5: Stand back, please, no, never mind, there's no use.
Speaker 3: This man is dead, dead dead, But how parents? Famous the line?
Speaker 5: When you missed that rubic swinging burst the.
Speaker 3: Blood vessels completely, Charles couldn't have been predicted. But are you sure? I'm your guests? Oh yes, of course, ladies.
Speaker 2: And gentlemen, I must ask you all please to leave it once, Please say nothing, want it happened tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm I'm very much.
Speaker 2: Afraid we're all accessories to homicide.
Speaker 3: If this ever gets out now, good night ladies and gentlemen. Please, yeah, money, What are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: What are your things?
Speaker 3: Take it quickly lashed, weshed a bit. I don't care. You'll never be able to repaish. You'll be too busy trying to hush this thing.
Speaker 1: You uli.
Speaker 4: A plane leaves for Miamis from Habdan at mid night.
Speaker 3: Grab it.
Speaker 4: I'll meet you at the hotel in Palm.
Speaker 3: Beach to mine. But Jimmy, we're liable to be arrested. No homicide draft did you think I know that? Go on beat it. I'll meet you in Palm Beach.
Speaker 4: Hurry, but I've got no money left. Here's your quick before they say I've got the satchel, here's a hundred. Goodbye, dam and Sam.
Speaker 2: Let's hell roll on hurry.
Speaker 3: The most artistic aspect to this swindle.
Speaker 2: That the chump fled convinced he was in for real trouble, homicide, trouble, completely forgetful.
Speaker 3: It's forty five thousand dollars. Yes, pretty wasn't. It's one of the neatest jobs out ever pulled off. And as soon as he was safely.
Speaker 2: Off, my rented the estate I confeder it's gathered around for the payoffs.
Speaker 3: Good beating you carry? How did you like my act?
Speaker 2: Oh you were great batch?
Speaker 3: Oh man Berth.
Speaker 2: The way you bit into that bladder of chicken blood, I thought the blood.
Speaker 3: Had never stopped coming out. Why is that, satchel? Come on, we'll put up the profits. Now, where's Jenny. She's the one who deserves the praise. The way she hooked that for it is Jenny, Jenny going inside with something. Well, I'll take your cut and give it to a later hand me. That's satual.
Speaker 2: Over.
Speaker 3: I think of the expression on that Pierce's puss. But do you know how daddy? Hey, what's this rison?
Speaker 2: That seventh daughter was seventh daughter? That double crossing, no sextuple crossing?
Speaker 5: Ry necked?
Speaker 3: Which Warren? Jenny Warren? She's run off with my money, not your money, not your money. Might I've got enough to pay you off every penny? It's the bet.
Speaker 2: She's absconded with one of the shootest schemes I'd ever hatched, and she has to throw the queer in it.
Speaker 3: Listen to her note, she says, And I'm leaving five for your end, Harry.
Speaker 2: That'll be enough to pay for a long distance phone call to tell me what you think of me.
Speaker 3: I'll be in New York tonight, but after that, who knows where I'll be. Love y.
Speaker 8: Everrylme returns in just a month. And now, Harry Lie, what is a sucker?
Speaker 2: Thanks step Crosser, And you're crowding the pavement, And I'll tell you a sucker is.
Speaker 3: A larcenous chump.
Speaker 2: Maybe I said that before, but I think I forgot to mention that there's an awful lot of us. I promised my confederates if they'd get their expenses paid, But after thinking that over for about thirty seconds, I figured there was no use throwing good money after bad because he meant leaving Cuba in a kind of a hurry.
Speaker 3: But after all, they should have known better. They should have remembered the old saying line, doesn't pay in.
Speaker 6: Extraction, in ext it exact it
Speaker 3: It