Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to another exciting episode of JavaScript Jabber. I am Steve Edwards, the host with the face for radio and the voice for being of mine. But I'm still your host at least I lost the coin flip today with me on our panel as mister Dan Shapiir coming live from Tel Aviv.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Dan?
Speaker 3: Hello from Tel Aviv where we're not at what with a run anymore?
Speaker 1: Yes, the last time we had Dan on, I believe he had run when bomb sirens started going off.
Speaker 2: So hopefully that won't happen to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, missiles not bombs, but.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, but slightly different, same end result exactly. And our special guest today I'm going to try to get this right is mister Benicius de Laqua.
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Did great? Yes? Doing great. I'm here from Sweden where we can't decide if it's hot or not this summer. It's like days not. What is with this shot? It can actually get like up to like thirty five degrees? Wow, that is actually pretty hot.
Speaker 1: That's pretty warm. That's what around one hundred farenheit something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can hear that it's quite close to here that Europe is undergoing like this kind of severe heat wave we are.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, Like south of Europe is quite brutal, right now, like up to like forty six degrees or something.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Places, Wow, that's quite bad.
Speaker 2: Is warm?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and not everybody has our conditioning. I guess no, Europe is not built for heats.
Speaker 4: I'll tell this.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, So what we're here to talk about is the confluence of performance and AI. So actually, before we get started, we know where you live. Why don't you tell us what else you do and why people should give you money if they should, and that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, So I am a soft engineer. I've been around for quite some years. As you can see from the white hairs around there.
Speaker 2: It's like a lot of the gray going to So yeah, I like to.
Speaker 3: Say white Harry is better than no here.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel.
Speaker 4: I've been working for a while, I mean being around since like I had to ship for even like a four four oh wow. Yeah yeah, yeah, so I had.
Speaker 2: To remember those days, I.
Speaker 4: Tell you, focus on performance for the biggest of my career, Like although never had really like the title of like performance engineer, performance was always like the focus of my interest and career coming from Brazil, Central Brazil, nonetheless, where you know, internet speeds were never up to standards, let's say like that, Let's put it like that. So you know, ux performance front end kind of became a thing for me as well, more and more over time. But performance always, because always was a subject that I care deeply about.
Speaker 3: Before we continue, just I'm just curious centers, Like what my mouse.
Speaker 4: That's not actually so central Brazil zo is like token Chin's Brasilia, So that's that's within the center. I was born in the north the States, but then like my entire life are lived in token Chinese, which is central Brazil.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's an interesting point you bring up.
Speaker 1: You know a lot of developers when they're developing apps, they get so used to their you know and formax on their high speed you know, fiber internet and don't always think about the person might be using their app that's in you know, three g out in the middle of nowhere, you know, something like that. And so yeah, performers like that in terms of bundle sizes for JavaScript and whether you need that much JavaScript, you know, that's books and all topics.
Speaker 4: Of Yeah, I'll tell you this, like for where I come from, the average speeds for Internet is still like, you know, around like fifteen megabytes, like one hundred megabytes. If you're like very very well off, like it's very hard. It's very hard to get like like a bite over. It's like most people live on like four G connection. I was actually checking out a map I would a world map for like five G connectivity around the world, and Brazil is still, like Central Brazil especially, still very much mostly on four G.
Speaker 3: So back when I was working at WIGS, WIGS has a pretty strong presence in South America and especially in Brazil and Argentina, and that was definitely a concern about making sure that we provided proper a good experience in those regions. But I want to emphasize that it's not just people in certain countries, it's everybody in certain situations. I've been in airports in various places where I'm on this funky data plan and I'm trying to check my flight on an airline website, and it's super slow because they're downloading this huge image of an airplane taking off that I have absolutely no need for, or so you know it, or you might be on on in a subway with bad reception or in an elevator or I don't know where, but it's this problem of connectivity. Of bad connectivity is something that can happen to everybody in certain scenarios, and very often in the scenario where you especially need to get at that data.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely, And I mean it was always at the forefront of like my biggest interest in concern when I moved to Europe, you know, now I actually like I became kind of like skewed towards the better end of connectivities. And it's ver easy to build up your biases, but you can be humbled very quickly when you come to test stuff on connectivities there are its body or or you know, unreliable. So one of the things that I always care about and drove like used to drive where whatever work is performance. So from that ied up getting more into depth tools kind of became a thing for me. Driving performance initiatives, driving performance as a subject also all kind of always walked hand in hand with the tools in a way, at least for me. So it also walked hand in hand with product, which you know, in the end brings me very close to being like a product engineer. So it kind of helps self dog food within the profession, but it brought me very close to death tools over time, so I ended up building integrations with highthouses and very early in the days where we didn't even have like proper integrations with like house and work with these kind of things to facilitate and developers usage of death tooling and performance tooling, and over time it became kind of the project that I'm currently building now, which is a fork of depth tools in a way to bring kind of a different vision of how I think, not how I think, but like what could there when it comes to death tools that I was built for the app let's say, quote unquote the average developer because one of the biggest problems that I always faced, and they ended up being the reason why I ended up working death tools and ended up building this tool which the two that I say and to put like, the tool that I'm talking about is called per Flab and the perfect agent, which is Paul per Flab, And the reason why I ended up building is just one of the things that ended up happening. Even like I worked at Spotify for for almost four years, I worked to Klina for like almost three years, and a very common thing was that developers either did not have as much interest to open the tools and explore the flame graph and explore you know, those problems the data behind it, or they were kind of intimidated by it, even at places such as Spotify and Klina, because it is a lot of information all at once, and it is it can become a very noisy, you know tool if you don't if you're not an expert. So for me, and then ended up being a way to experiment and explore how to build something that is approachable by anyone.
Speaker 1: So you talking about performance the front end? Sorry, Dan, it sounds like all yours is on the front end. You ever do any back end performance stuff or it was all your performance work pretty much been on the front end in the browser.
Speaker 4: It's being mostly in the browser.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I mean, and so I can remember doing PHP profiling with like xd bug Kino profiling, So there's certainly performance on the back end. I think a lot of people take performance on the back end probably for granted, you know, because the general rule is if you can you know, when I'm dealing with a false stack app, you know, I prefer PHP view with a nurse JS for instant. That's one of my favorite stacks, and you can always say if anytime you can offload stuff from the front end to the back end and get your data so that when you get to the front end, you're not doing a bunch of calculations to do that, because the assumption there is that you're going to have beef your resources on the back end in terms of yours and stuff, and so there's probably not as much performance profiling, although I have known people who have been really big on performance profiling on the back end, but I think it's more it's just sort of assumed, Okay, you're back and can handle us better because you've got to be for your resources back there, and so the front ends we're really where we need to focus on performance stuff.
Speaker 3: First of all, I'd like to obviously mention that we've had quite a number of people on the show in recent months talking about this topic, So if people are really interested, there's definitely a lot of shows here to check out. We've had people from the Google from Google talking specifically about building the tools we had. I think I'm not mixing his name up talking about react profiling the tools that he built for that, So we've had Harry Roberts, so we've had a lot of people talking about these subjects. So there's definitely a lot if people are interested, there's definitely a lot of content here on the podcast about it. But going specifically to your point, Steve, it's you know, it's it's tricky because very often it is about the back end because it might be just simply an SQL query that's not properly optimized or doesn't have the properity indexes defined and runs way too slowly and something like that. But on the other hand, it could your back end could be really, really well optimized, but it's worthless because, as I give an example before, you're downloading a huge image and that's just eating up all your bandwidth, regardless of anything else that you're doing. So you really kind of need to take a holistic view of performance and try to pinpoint the you know, the root causes and identify bottlenecks. And that's usually what dev tooling is for, is for identifying those and understanding what to focus on and doing the proper attribution of locating the areas that are most problematic exactly.
Speaker 4: And it's really like that's one of the main reasons why performance is such a difficult subject. Right, I like to become let's say, an expert, even like someone that is confident to solve performance problems. Is a very steep vertical The tooling can be somewhat intimidating if you never you know, delve tape into it or dedicated the hours for it and force for experienced developers or specialists, what is information can be noise for let's say the average developer that doesn't go around on debt tools as much. So with that premise, I was interested on experimenting around and seeing, you know, what I could come up with, So I ended up working Chrome dept Tools. The advantage of Crome dept Tools. First of all, the source code is beautifully documented, so self phone boarding on it very easily, was very easy on It is Web components with typescripts, so it's actually web technology, so it's really approachable for the average developer out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who would have thought that Web thev tooling is built on web technologies like Inception.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean because a lot of people think it's simpless plus right, Like because the browser, the Chrome, the main chrome is simplus plus the main interface, so a lot of people actually end up thinking it is simplus plus, which is not the case. It is built on top of web technologies, but it communicates through the browser view the debugging protocol, and it communicates also via the different protocols and within the native layer. I ended up working it, and the first try around was building per flab as in the main let's say the main app, and per flab was a fork of the Performance Panel, so extracting it as a sound alone web component. It is already built on web components, so extracting it was was not as hard. And what ended up happening that I noticed is that because I still used the performance a panel as the main interface to drive interactions around stead of being something very close to like dashboard. And one of the things that I that I constantly had a gripe with is that dashboards can be also very daunting and its sub utilized. Like a lot of dashboard systems and SaaS companies have really good product, but it's heavily understand underutilized because people don't understand the data, they didn't understand what they want to extract out of the data, end up sub utilizing the systems and so ended up being not as you know, initiate like friendly for earlier stage developers or developers that don't have performance as their main for tail, let's say, their main subjects.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that this is something that Google themselves have realized, like that the performance tab is really daunting. It's a very very busy interface with a ton of information, and they actually created an alternative tab I think it was called Performance Insights or something like that, which was, as we've been told on the show, never intended to be like a long term solution. Rather, it was this kind of a playground where they were testing out various alternative ideas that they thought that they would eventually bring back into the main performance steps. So kind of playground to try out various optimizations and way of making the interface clearer and easier to understand, especially to junior developers.
Speaker 4: And the Chrome team has been on an absolute role when it comes to improving the experience around that tools in general. So my next adventure with building something with that tools was I think about like three years ago, no, sorry, about a year and a half ago. So when AI in general became more broadly disc like part of the common discourse, we started having better developer frameworks for building with AI and stuff like that. So I was like, and everyone was building their own chatbots in a way, so I was like, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna see if I can build something that is approachable for anyone. And so like I remember being I think it was last year's perth Now talking with the different people from the death Tools.
Speaker 3: And I also don't know, by the way, Perfonal Performance Now is, yes, probably the leading performance related conference takes place in Amsterdam, so that's actually fairly close to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, and I'm gonna be there this year as well. I'm going to be actually talking this year. Oh cool. Yes, it's been on a very similar subject. So this is kind of like a teaser, I say, long long form teaser of the talk. But so within you know, last year's a perf Now I brought up with different members of the death Tools teams like uh, kind of like let's say a thought exercise of what could it be that the smallest possible subset of a depth too looks like and you know, helps people engage with it without being daunting. So this this was kind of like the thig exercise. I was trying to to to have within those conversations and a lot of things, and I was demoing perth Lab in within the within Perth now as well get like gathering some some talks and discussions around the tools building. So early this year I started, I decided to build Perth Agent. So with perf Agent, startled with the same kind of spirit of birth Lab, working part of Chrome def tools. So within going too much into details, so we have some some partitive depth tools. There are the drivers of how dev tools reads and trace information. So that trace Engine is something that I then extracted. So instead of going for the main performance panel, I started to take trace Engine to help me extract information out of traces and with that create my own agent that's that can understand traces and try to help people to solve performance problems. So in a way I ended up building a chat what in a way. But the some of the things I was trying to play with is of course with the advent of generative UI, build that thought process of what is the smallest possible self self of a debt tool that I can build that is progressive and which means it doesn't present all the information at once, so it tries to be more friendly also like a knowledge assistant and helps with solving performance problems, building on top of AI agents that can understand, you know, trace files and can understand calls, tax and all this kind of stuff and help you solve problems.
Speaker 3: So just to understand, you're building this what as an open source project, as a service, as a product that you intend to sell as all of the above, what is it?
Speaker 4: It's a very good question. I am. I'm building it. It's going to be open source, like within the next couple of weeks, just cleaning up parts of the code and making sure that it is in a good state to be open sourced and collaborated with more people because it's been just me so far, long givings and whatnot. But it's also up of a flab so people can not that they can join the wait list, and I'm slowly getting people on boarded into the service, mostly because it's just me. So inference costs is a thing as well, one of the biggest being with the eyes inference costs. So I'm going to come up with probably some form of pricing model or hopefully sponsorship to keep it free or whatever. But I don't have any. I didn't have any necessarily like any big plans for it because it's built on top of the open source and like most of the tools I use nowadays, it's kind of let's say common ground. It used to be more the secret sauce as people say, where the system prompts, how you organize the workflow, and how you organized the tools used to be a big power of differentiates one a itol from another. But as everyone pretty much started doing this, it became less important so much to a lot a lot of different companies open source their system prompts and how they they're building workflows and things like that. Even Yes code now with Copalative open sources the system props. That is so so I'll ask my question in a slightly different way. Is this your day job? No, it's not. No, it's not my day job. It's a good question. It's been a passion project. It's being evenings and weekends building this stuff. Because now we live in a very interesting point in time where there is this inflection point kind of coming and I feel like the like as a developer, as an engineer, I'm naturally curious, and I feel like it's one of the things that a good engineer is is that natural curiosity to try stuff and see where they fit within your workflow. But I did not want to just be a consumer. I also wanted to build something with it, and so I ended up studying some you know, even deeper ends of models and model platform architectures and how to train models, the whole stuff. So much so that actually as a side thing, I ended up building the workflow to kind of simulate the mystery of experts architecture, where you have like a router that delegates to different workflows and different especialists. Because the whole if you think about performance, as we just opened up the show, it has different subjects, right, and that's one of the biggest challenges of building a system, an AI system with a complex subject such as performance, because it's very deep and also has different branches that goes all of them go through Deep and Google kind of like if you go digging around the Depth Tools source code, you will see that they're using kind of the same approach where they have AI agents that represent different parts of the Depth tools. You have one for the network one or call frames, one for CSS, one for elements. So it's a very similar way but then within the whole thing that I built is has like a router that that we understand the request and you know, navigate workflows and different specialists to to call within you know, the two chain. But it's like it's a very interesting inflection point that we're going to have in a few in the next few years, and experimenting with it, it's felt like almost like an obligation to me to understand where do all of us fit in within the next few years as developer, where does the web even fitting Because one of the things that I started thinking a lot about is and that's ended up being the reason why and they're building PERF agent is what is a dev tool in this new era when we can have agents kind of talking to each other solving problems. So last week we had last week we had I you connect and for you connects. One of the things that I wanted to do for your connect is to see if I So I built a quick hack over the weekend just before I connects where I created an mcpiece of a built inside of DEB tools. So the purpose of that is because I already built the agent tool that understand traces and can solve problems, but you have to haunt it traces. So now MCP is all the hype and all this kind of stuff, So I wanted to see how can I, okay, how can deb tools? How can a browser adopt those new things? Right? So I started with depth tools and depth tools, So I built an MCP serve within debt tools, so it connects to clot code, to cursor, whatever is your AI editor of choice, and it connects through MCP. So what happens is that within the agent, what you can do is you just have it ask it to like go fire trace and then get insights and it creates this self healing loop because as people nowadays have these kind of tools to build stuff, and it's more approachable than ever for people to prompt their way into building an app. Now, as we all know, it doesn't build the most correct way. It works, but at what cost we don't know yet. So that's kind of the next step, right, instead of let's see how would it work within that kind of workflow.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of like within cursor, I could theoretically tell it like here's my code, make it faster, and it would try to optimize it and then run it through dev tools get back some data, make modifications, run it again and see whether it's improving or regressing stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and even like it can even fix actual points within it code because I hooked the same internals. So within the tools, I hooked the same internals that I used to build my agent within the trace engine. So when the mcps have is called from cursor and say okay, record the trace, and record of course the trace, and then then it has another two that will say okay, now give me the insights. So we will connected with the server, will return actual insights with like a prompt to guide like this is what I see on the CAULD trace, and we'll return a full on prompt to guide cursor on what to patch, what to fix, and cursor like can self execute and improve the code based on that. So connecting straight into debt tools.
Speaker 3: So what have you seen this kind of system be able to achieve? What kind of improvements have you seen it make?
Speaker 4: I have just before I built this, and as a thought exercise, I introduced a very big problem with inputs, So I purposely made the I INP metric worse. So without telling curs exactly what I built or what I've done. I just said, okay, go fire deb tools with the MCP server and fix whatever problem you face. You say you see in there, And it did precisely that if from the call stack and the prompt that dev tools returned back to it, it was able to find within the code what was the problem and fix it. So it can really create this like self healing look within an MCP connection straight into the tools. So this is the kind of of experimentation that I'm very interested on now on like what is dev tools in this new era of agents, and how is a browser to behave as an agent with agents? And how can we how can both browsers and dev tools embrace this and move forward with this new generation of developers, because it's one of the things that I was I'm constantly talking with different people from from def tools team outside of the deft tools team, is like, how can we ensure that the web as a platform can adapt and thrive within this new self paradigms. On agentic you see perplexities building their own browser. You see open ai is not open only developing, but they are developing their own browser.
Speaker 3: And oh yeah, I wasn't aware they've.
Speaker 4: Been poaching you know, so they are certainly building their own browser. And you have DIA from the browser company up there, and here in Stockholm we have a browser company called stuff. It's called Strawberry, which I ended up looking up with them and talking with them because they're very local, so I wanted to talk with with them. But they also have an agentic browser. So agentic browsers is something that we keep hearing about.
Speaker 3: And what and by agentic browser, do you mean something that instead of the actual website, it reads the website and then presents me with its own version as it were the website that's more appropriate for my particular needs and wants. Is that what it does? What does it do exactly?
Speaker 4: That is a good point, Like I don't think there's a definition yet, So when it comes to agentic browser nowadays, they should take a for example, DIA, it should take comment which is coming up soon as well for open access. For what I have seen is a browser with a with an agent panel like with a chatbot on the side, so you can either extract information out of a web page or you can automate some things. But it's not yet entirely what you said, although that seems kind of anticlimactic for you for now, it is, but it's definitely I feel like every developer out there is seeking that next situation of what you said. I myself have written a sort of like an essay that's pinned into my into my X page, which is about what you just said on what is a browser to be when in the age of agents? Right, what are we to be? Because if you consider if you consider the follow the following premise on and when we're going to go back to performance in a minute, because it kind of build builds up to that. So if you're considering the current premise of nowadays, a lot of people are automating more and more in regards to what they do on the web with with open eyes, Chator or Claude or anything as such, and what they get to return is a mark down. So there is a natural evolution of that, and you see Considerts driving mcpuy or rather the capabilities of MCP rendering UI, which ends up being like us embedding micro interfaces as a response to agents. There's a lot of discussion within the web on what is going to be or what is the possibility not necessarily like what is going to be what is the possibility of us interacting with the web in this kind of agentic workflow.
Speaker 3: So, for example, these days, when you ask Google a question, you know the response their reaction to what open Ai did when you ask Google a question. In many cases, instead of just returning a list of links of possible pages, they use a German to generate an answer for you. It's not a huge leap. And by the way, in many cases, if that answer is actually good enough, then that's it. You don't actually go to any page, You just use that answer that Google provided. Well, it's theoretically not a huge leap to think of a scenario where they literally generate a website on the fly that provides the exact information you ask for, not just as text, but has a holistic website with images, with menus, with an interface that's specific to you and your use case in your query at that point in time. It's not such a huge leap.
Speaker 4: No, it's not so much so that I feel like it's kind of converging a lot of people converging too something similar. I feel like from within the COME team, I know pol Killen is writing a lot about his thoughts on what is the to the platform around agents and things like that. He has this website called AI Focus where he writes a lot of his insights, and he's being around for for a long time as well. He's the most respected names out there when it comes to the platform and depth tools. So he's been writing a lot of insights that converted to similar theories and similar places where you are arriving where I have a arrived at Cancie dogs I see the remix guys are arriving on the same kind of points as well, So there is a lot of convergence and it's up to the platform, of course, to ensure that that there are good primitives out there that provides this kind of experience. And actually, like I was joking with Malte from Cito over Seal, like in passing like that they should have an MCP for zero because it kind of enables experiences like that, right, if you have a browser that can connect to different cps and you can use different services to generate. Because it ended up being a taste thing, right, some people prefer this model over that model. Some people would prefer this AI generator over that AI generator, And it's about providing the right primitives in the end to access these kind of things. But one of the things that I was discussing getting back to the performance part of the subject is after I shared that all that uh that I did the map for connected five G connectivity of the world, one of the things that one of the insights that I get nowadays is since a lot of the web traffic is being diverted away from websites, and because it's so much it's being done via different workflows within different agency the open eye or entropic or what have you, what ends up happening is that a lot of that traffic is not within their mobile anymore because what they gain returns the mark now with some images in a way if you think about it, not I don't think that's the end result for us. The web should be rich and full of experience. But as an interim, as a operacess or at least like a thought provocation, is that that's actually better if you have low low work connectivity.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's kind of what Google Google try to provide with what is was it Google Sites or no? What was it called? I know what you what you're talking about? I don't remember the name as it escapes now yeah, exactly the same, but those those like read only or read mode for for websites, but you have because mark down is so so much faster to render. It kind of ends up being a good experience for people that lives in for connectivity because they get information they want, they can get things done without having to pay heavy.
Speaker 3: But on the other hand, on the other are two problems with it. First of all, when you still have that model generating the response on the fly, which is obviously much slower than a pre prepared response and also also much more expensive to generate, certainly consumed a lot more energy. So a world where every query for everybody is answered with the page that's generated specifically for that person, we might get there eventually, but we but it's certainly not it's not going to improve the performance of the initial load, let's put it this way.
Speaker 4: No, So without getting too much into the economics of it, there is of course those scaling problems. But my thought on this is is purely on like the platform level, on how what kind of experiences are we you going to end up having. One of the things that I'm very much interested on thinking about nowadays is is kind of now that we are capable of generating interfaces on the fly. There is a nuance to that, of course, but we are capable of eliminating quite eliminating quite a lot of noise from the from the UY from the interfaces. We don't have to generate static menus and side but a sidebar with lots of options and deep nested menus things like that. So we now can generate a much simpler and much more concise interface and progressively introduce the users or nuage the users towards different levels of information. So both for depth tools, I feel like that's a great thing because you can lower the threshold, lower the bearer for entry for developers building something that is more approachable at first, and you can of course dig deeper with different workflows. And also for websites.
Speaker 3: What would that mean in the end, So putting aside the bigger issue of what's the future of the web going to be and moving back to the quote unquote simpler issue of dev tooling and performance tooling. So you said, you build an MCP server that's integrated into depv tools, and then you can get information out of dev tools into something like cursor or something like that as actionable data. What else are you thinking about in the context of the future of performance tooling.
Speaker 4: I feel like tooling Google if you observe what Google's doing within the Depth tools, I'm kind of helping on using a lot of that work to power the other experiences I'm building around it. It is a lot on providing hints and providing knowledge assistance, providing debugging assistance. So there is different, of course, experiences and levels you can dig. So you can have something that is more approachable or not approachable rather but like something that is more active, so it's actively trying to help you, or something that's more that's going to be requested. Like currently on Depth Tools, you you hover or you click right click to activate the eye insights. Some of the insights are being delivered actively, but you know there are different experiences you try and can try to gauge. I'm trying to lean on on the experiences that are more actively helping people or trying to deliver something that is more actively trying to help people, trying to be more knowledge system at the same time as a tool that can help to solve actual problems performance problems.
Speaker 3: So one of the things I recall hearing about though, to be perfectly honest, I've not actually had a chance to try it out and see how good it is. Is I recalled, they've been talking about using local Gemini to analyze the stack traces in the flame chart, Yes, and provide better understanding. Like for those of you like what I said, sounds like gobly goop when you are record performance session. When you record the performance of a session in the Chrome Dev Tool's performance tab, one of the things that it does is that it analyzes JavaScript execution over time and basically checks at every point in time what the stack trace looks like, and basically maps the progress of executions through the actual application code. And then what you get is called often a flame chart because it looks it uses different colors, so it looks kind of like a fire. And if the stack is deep, then you see a lot of boxes, but if it's shallow, then you see fewer, and you can kind of follow along and see where executions spent its time, which method got called very often, which methods or functions took a long time to process, et cetera, When where you blocked maybe on a network operation, et cetera, et cetera, And those flame charts are sometimes difficult to analyze because again they represent a ton of information in a very condensed sort of way. So if you can get better hinting and suggestions about what it means, like okay, but what does this function actually do? That could be very helpful. But I've not actually checked the quality of information that it provides. I guess that you've been playing with it quite a bit. What do you think about it?
Speaker 4: So I'm actually using a lot of the internals that they are using to provide that aside, of course the on board Gemini model that they have on Chrome. I am using Gemini, but the hosted version for that both flash and a pro and two point five flash and to per five pro for different kind of things. But to answer the crux of the massa, it's getting really good right now. It's too struggles with some form of directions, but that's mostly on prompting. So one of the things that I did I use most of the same prompting that the Chrome de tools uses for Gemini to analyze a flame graph. But the things I differentiate is that I'm trying to drive it to be a bit more direct when it comes to offering suggestions that are what's next to do. So, for instance, I used to kind of the same it's pretty much the same prompt but what difference is it's the prompt I'm using is in some different parts of prompt engineering of how I want the model to be more decisive and I also want to teach the model. For instance, when it's analyzing a bundle from next years, you will know. When s analyzing a bundle that comes from different kind of frameworks, you will know and will try to give you a bit more decisive actions like okay, I see that these kind of call frames are coming from this ACT, which is a framework asset, so you kind of have a framework logic there where you can try to fix. So it's trying to be a bit more directed towards giving you an answer and then use I use the same model. I use the same kind of prompts for the MCP too, which kind of helps courser be also be more decisive of fixing stuff.
Speaker 3: So again, can you give a concrete example of some practical results or outcomes that you've seen from this type of operation right now?
Speaker 4: Will be It's kind of in between. It's a bit of a hit and miss. It can be a bit of a hit to miss, but those two the tools are actually it can be a little bit of a hittimism, but the tools are evolving quite quite a lot, and with more prompt engineering, with more data collection understanding evow or like you're having better evows, so it will only get better. So it is, it is, There is definitive value, especially for people that are trying to understand the flame graph the AI asked within Depth tools, the agent I'm building can be tools that will help you understand things better and hopefully give you insights. So the manage may vary, of course, but over time it will only get better.
Speaker 3: So aside from the MCP connectivity, again, what else are you building?
Speaker 4: So right now I'm focusing again. I did this MCP as a thought process because I mean, I can't ship the MCP that are built unfortunately, because I built straight into Depth Tools, so I can't ship my own version of Depth Tools within Chrome. But I actually am going to continue exploring because like I was talking with the Depth Tools team, the next thing is could be like to help a tool to have a tool that can use the bugging protocol to drive different kinds of scenarios. Let's say now the agents can also execute. Let's say you whilst the agent, can you please measure the interaction when you click this button and try to fix any performance problems. So instead of you manually go into the browser and recording that trace, the agent can do that for you and return with the insights and the prompts that will help it fix the next stage. Right, So that's kind of like it became a thought process that I've the thought that I want to try to execute on to see how can you make the browser respond to as a dev to to an agentic flow. So that's something that I'm looking to experiment with next. But when it comes to shipping within within the within perflab, the next thing for me is helping the agent to understand more of the performance as a subject. So because right now what I've built is web vitals Insights, so it understands different parts of the web virus and it can generate quite good insightful reports on how to fix different problems from the webviders that it's sees within the trace. But then next for me is that the network getting better insights for the network, so it does LCP so kind of has a network agent there, but I want to build better network agents to understand server timings, understand the kind of other subjects within the workflow, and help with different subjects within performance because there is a lot more things to fix. And then alongside of that, bake in a memory layer so you can the agent can remember how to fix the problems and it gets a bit more proactive on fixing problems, understanding that what problems is seeing before and what kind of fixes is seen before with the memory layer. So I'm interested on seeing how the agent starts to self evolve in a way when you start introducing your memory layer to solve performance problems.
Speaker 3: So a couple of thoughts of suggestions even about that. So, first of all, it seems to me, based on the workflow that you're describing that integration with something like Playwright might be a more natural evolution. And trying to couse Chrome to record kind of headless sessions or sessions that don't involve actual user interaction because you're literally automating the web in order to perform a genetic operations.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I would go one step further because I know I know play right, I've used it for a long time but I've been experimenting with and I actually like be in contact briefually with the people from Browser based and stagehand, so they have this kind of really good automation for the browser. One thing that I'm going to actually check with them is that I plan to check with them, is how much of the dev tools that they have access to, because as far as I know, within the debugging protocol, it does not really have access to yet at least does not have access to some of the insights. So the way I'm driving the MCPS of experiment that I'm running locally is all based on the AI insights, and those are internal depth tools, so I'm you leveraging those AI insights the same that Google is surfacing for the ask AI within depth tools to create a loop with cursor to this self healing mode for developers that are using that, either Vibe coding or even developers that don't necessarily know how to fix performance problems. So within the debugging protocol, you don't necessarily have access to that kind of stuff. You can drive a browser, a headless browser, or a browser session autonomously, but what I'm interested is less on the driving the session autonous, but more on getting access to those internals to get the information out of the telemetry I get to give back within an mcpiece of to cursors or any AI editor to solve problems autonomously. So it's less about driving the web autonomum autonomously, but more about fixing things autonomously based on a telemetry I can get from depth tools.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of what you're doing, these kind of loops where I guess where you're you're trying a certain well you're not you the age and the model is trying a certain optimalization and then checks to see whether it actually improves or the grades the actual performance yestt making any difference at all.
Speaker 4: Yes, So for that kind of stuff, you can use different services. For soundboxing, there's many like Daytona or actually Versella has released one recently, so you can use a soundboxing service where you can hook up to like an automated session to test actual fixes. But then for me, there is that pop that, of course I will experiment with within perflab, but I'm also interested on the reason why I'm playing with internals, dept tools and MCP integration within depth tools and different kind of experimentation within a browser space is kind of to play with this next version of browsers, debv tools, and the web in general on how they look would look like or can look like rather because as I feel, I feel like I think it was, I think it was. I don't remember what I said it, but we are very where we are one good, really good ux away from a complete shift on how we think about interfaces or the web in general. So there's a lot of experientation that can be had and should be had. So this is kind of where I'm navigating nowadays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard that quote recently too. I want to say it was West Boss, but yeah, I've heard.
Speaker 4: It was it. Yeah, I mean I'm not sure if it was, if it was Wes or or someone else, but I have a feeling it was, Yeah, someone from those circles earlier this week. So yeah, I know you worry about.
Speaker 3: The web becoming something generated by agents for agents.
Speaker 4: There is a layer, so there is layers to that, and I share so I will repeat AI focused from from Paul Killen, like if you haven't read yet, it's really really good. But there are those fears of like when it comes to publishers monetization experiences out like the excessive may may be accessive automation isn't an actual concern, it's very valid one. But one thing that I'm kind of looking forward to is for personalization, for enabling what people are calling the personal web. So in a way, we're kind of going back to your cities where people just put silly websites that they just wanted to build and build it like that. That's why I love I see tools like Lovable, like Vizero as kind of us returning to that ingenuity and accessibility of people creating what they want and putting things out there. So, of course there are different challenges both on a social aspect, on an economical aspect, on an environmental aspect that we should not be blinded to, but there is also a lot of good that can be had.
Speaker 3: One more thing that I wanted to suggest to you, especially if you're looking at memory. By the way, I was supposed to give a talk at the conference here in Tel Avisi in Israel on using hip dumps to analyze performance issues in node rather than the browser. I think, and that's the point. I think that node is a great candidate for these types of analysis. Operations as well. If in fact, optimizing node operations in many ways is even more difficult than optimizing browser operations. That is true, and it's in its effectively a lot of the same processes and the same APIs and the same protocols. Yes, the solutions that can be applied to the browser can be well, obviously they would need to be somewhat modified, but can generally be applied to node as well.
Speaker 4: Yes. So for back end is something that is very much in my head. We have serviy timings, which I wrote about. One of the things that I love about modern day tooling is that we have things like INP and low of animation frames. I believe is one of the best APIs released in a more odern times for JavaScript or the web performance in general. I've talked about it this year, destination last year and something that I really like.
Speaker 3: But when it comes back and at least so bepole you proceed, can you elaborate on that a little bit? What do you mean by that? Those APIs?
Speaker 4: So I n P Interaction to next Paint is a relatively new API made into Chrome Virals as an official metric as of March this year, and it's driven by an internal metrical animation frame, and the animation frame is where you aggregate different sections of work that the browser needs to produce in order to ship the next frame. So that's why you have long animation frames or low app as an API to fetch animation frame. Animation frames there are with a timing larger than fifty milliseconds, which is the well known or at least is the standardized metric for long tasks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just to a little bit of context or information. It actually comes from the other way around. Basically, in order to provide a good visual experience jank fee experience on displays, you usually want to achieve something like sixty FPS or sixty frames per second. And when you divide sixty and when you check how long you have to actually work on each frame in order to achieve sixty FPS, you see that it's sixteen points something milliseconds per frame. So that's where it comes from. Now, given that crowd there itself needs to do a little bit of work itself, it leaves you with fourteen or fifteen milliseconds to do whatever it is that you want to do, and whenever you exceed that, you get junk because you cause the browser to drop below that sixty FPS. And by the way, it's worth noting that on high end displays and on three D displays, you actually, like if you're using something like GLA smart glasses, you actually want to hit one hundred and twenty FPN exactly.
Speaker 4: It's which it's hard, which believe is you even less work window. I actually have a talkie my like Dan about the background from where where do? Where did we come from to where we are now? In regards to interactivity metrics, I've long ann mention frames. The name now escapes me, but I did last year at REAP Advanced, and I also did in person for the Mozilla meet up at Personnel the same day. So I think you're going to joy I'm going to share the link with you for.
Speaker 3: Sure, probably also if you don't, if it's public, we can share in this public in the show notes for this. By the way, what I would suggest to you if you're interested in these things is also participate in the Receiver Performance Working Group where we generally talk about all these metrics and how we can improve them and involve them. But again coming back to what we were talking about, So you're talking about this API that can measure and see when you're exceeding the allotted time for frames, resulting in a jan ky user interface or in a no exect somewhat non responsive user interface.
Speaker 4: Yes, so animation frames. The reason why I love it so much is within both per flab and pervagent, I created histograms use the animation frames to show you activity like processing activity based on the different virus thresholds. But the reason why I like it so much is that it aggregates within one common name space or metric all the different problems that can happen for you two that might lead to JENK. So you have processing time, input delay, and presentation delay, all of which have different subset of problems that may impact the different subsections. So my talk this year at Gestination is about that. But the reason why I love it so much is that it makes the conversation a bit more productive because it gathers within one common metric. It gathers all different aspects of shipping a frame instead of just focusing on processing or just focusing on style on layout. So it's really really good and makes it the conversation a bit more productive. The reason why I use it so much and moving back into the back end is because thinking about this kind of metric and work, what I'm going to end up doing for perflab and pervagent to teach agents how to deal with back end is then zoom out into hotel and spans in general. Right, So it's about rebuilding attribution based on spans and building attribution based on server timings hotel spans. So it is one of those things that I'm curious to try on. It's like open telemetry span, yeah, exactly, So trying to build this kind of attribution, like we use the same medal because I feel like for the front end, we have so much work done to standardize set of timings and build this kind of aggregation of data to better understand performance problems, and we could leverage some of this knowledge of some of this at least way of thinking to build automation for for processing times on hotel spans or just serving stuff via servery time can be also a great deal help.
Speaker 3: You should be speaking with mattel Colin and the other I didn't speak with him at the GEST Nation this year, so I'm going to I'm curious to doing more conversations about this stuff with him, because I know he's very interested.
Speaker 4: Days I'm actually sharing I've shared per flab with him, So let's see what can be done with that.
Speaker 3: And before we finish, what are your future thoughts, Like, where are you thinking about taking this tool? What are you thinking about in terms of new technologies and new approaches.
Speaker 4: So for me right now, I'm going to be open sourcing it in the next couple of weeks and it's going to be available for as a party to and anyone that want to collaborate. Of course, it's more than welcome to and I would, and it's I'm curious to see what kind of collaborations comes out of the open sourcing of it. The two for me is a way of expressing my thoughts and my feeling towards how I feel like dev tools can evolved or not evolved, but like, how could they be embracing AI first or taking the subject of a side is how to build something that is approachable for people that are not as technical and trying to remove all of those natural barriers that people keep bringing up when it comes to the tools, which I feel like that tools is such a great, great tool, but for me, I'm used to deptols have been used for more than a decade right now, and something that is kind of second nature. But I'm very acutely aware of working with different teams of different knowledge levels. That not the case for every developer out there, and we can be trying to, you know, force a squarepag into a into a circle and just tell them like you should learn the tools which which they should if I'm being honest, But then you know, the approach may not have may have varying success to different people, especially on what their interests are. So building something that can be the smallest sub self of a debt to building more progressive and approachable for people of all knowledge levels is something I'm curious and also evolving from the de tools on to the browsers space as well, which is where I'm growing deeply more interested on experimenting with. You know, how can a browser be a better agent and how can agents interact better with browsers is something that I'm experimenting with nowadays.
Speaker 3: Something that might be really interesting to look at and in a certain way both simultaneously easier and more difficult, is thinking about how to optimize not necessarily the JavaScript, but the CSS. Yes, people underestimate the impact that CSS, especially modern sophisticated CSS, can have on rendering performance, and in general, I find that developers are a lot less familiar with the intricacies of CSS, and CSS is seems like something that should be handled by AI. Anything in that context would be really helped for So being able to play around with the CSS and see how that impacts performance sounds something that that could be really really interesting.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, And there is a lot of value on getting you know, knowledge assistance and also automation based on on on on things that developers consider either bootstrappy or hard to approach, so that there is a good mix where we can experiment with and build good experiences around. And this is kind of where I'm very curious to experiment with.
Speaker 3: So if you're going to be releasing this as an open source, where will people be able to find it?
Speaker 4: So within from my ex handle, you have the links, it's the live versions is agent dot perf lab dot io and that's where you have the agent and then perflab dot io is where you have let's say the legacy one where it's not legacies live and will be but that's the let's say the rest version. The Agents is where I'm focusing most of my time nowadays to experiment with and the Agent. Both Agent and per Flab will be fully open source in the coming weeks, but the services are going to still stay up and I mean I'm constantly going to be writing about it on X and Blue Sky as also. You can always catch up there, all right.
Speaker 1: So with that, we are a little over time, so we're going to start wrapping things up. So if people want to follow you and give you money and give you accolades and all those kinds of things, were the best places to find you.
Speaker 4: So on X, I am web Twitter. So Twitter is t W I t R. So literally that the.
Speaker 2: Web two point oh spelling of Twitter, I think.
Speaker 4: Kind of build right around that.
Speaker 3: You should have changed it to WebEx or something.
Speaker 4: I tried. I try to use WebEx because by the time I built, like I got my Twitter account, I used WebEx everywhere. But WebEx was taken already. So that's why.
Speaker 3: Water there's a company called WebEx.
Speaker 2: I think exactly think there is that sounded familiar as soon as you said that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so so yeah, web web Twitter, t W I t R on X and on Blue Sky, I am web x at top blue Sky. In consistencies, maybe maybe I should try to find some new personal branding to to try and like consolidate to this name.
Speaker 3: Look at Italian Roberts who stuck with CSS Wizardry Harry.
Speaker 4: Harry is very fortunate to have one one consistent naming everyone every socials. What a legend. But yeah, so you can find me, I mean if I believe, if you look it up for Venetius de Laqua on Twitter or Blue Sky, there will be very little. It's fingers crossed. It's not so such a common name. I think that's right.
Speaker 1: Well, you have an interesting combination. I think beforehand you were telling us the name of Italian. So you're Brazilian with an Italian name, swe.
Speaker 4: Name exactly married to a British woman.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's four levels of four level journalism, right, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Already.
Speaker 1: So with that will move to picks picture, the part of the show where we can talk about anything we want within reason that doesn't get us fined, and tech are non tech related, Chuck sunt here. So we probably will not get our board game fixed this weekend, but uh, never fear. He will be back next week. He's celebrating his twentieth wedding anniversary.
Speaker 4: With his wife. This.
Speaker 2: Wow, so that's why he's not here.
Speaker 1: I'll start My picks are generally the at least I consider him the high point of any episode with dad jokes. But before I get to the dad jokes of the week, I'll pick a couple interesting posts that I saw today on Hacker News, and in light of the conversation we just had about AI cloud Flare, which we know is a tool that a lot a lot of people use for deploying apps, or for shielding or you know, for any number of services they are inducing.
Speaker 2: This is an article in the New York Times.
Speaker 1: They're introducing a default blocking of AI data scrapers. One of the uses, Yeah, one of the uses of AI, obviously is setting a tool to go out and beat the crap out of websites and get all their data off. And websites don't like that so much, so they're providing that option. Also is Figma, you know, which is a very very popular tool for design and any number of things. They had a I don't remember the reason for why it failed, Dan, Maybe you can refresh my memory where they were going to get bought by Adobe and then it fell apart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because of the DOJ.
Speaker 2: There's anti trust, right.
Speaker 4: And they trust some monopoly or something along these lines.
Speaker 2: Right, So they are filing for an IPO.
Speaker 1: They are going to go public and trying to make up for the nine million dollars they didn't get from Adobe and get money this way. Interesting to see how that goes. And now to the dad jokes of the week. So let me see where was they at. Oh yeah, the other day, this is what not to do if you're married. My wife said, for our anniversary, she wanted wanted me to take her to one of those restaurants where they make all the food in front of you. You know, it's really good, and you got the chef right there and everything. I said, sure, so I took her to Subway.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Subway is a sub sandwich shop where they make it right in front of you. If you're not aware of that, here's a conversation, the devil saying, this is the lake of Lava. You will be spending eternity in me. Actually, since we're underground, that would be Magma. Devil says, you do understand this is why you're here, right right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then for you Leslie Nielsen fans. He was amazing median. I went to the doctor and the doctor told me you have cancer, but we can treat it. I said, what's the cure? He says, The cure is a British rock band fronted by Robert Smith. But let's try to stay focused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anybody who's ever seen the movie Airplane, Airplane, it's full of these types of joke.
Speaker 2: Hospital.
Speaker 1: That's a large building with lots of patients, But that's not important exactly, Dan, What do you got?
Speaker 4: Four us picks?
Speaker 3: Not so much in the way of picks I mentioned before. Happy to say that at least the war with Iran seems to be over, at least for now. Hopefully the other wars that we're currently experiencing will be ending soon and not soon enough, we will see.
Speaker 4: But those are not my picks.
Speaker 3: So I obviously have opinions on politics, geopolitics and stuff like that. I don't share them on the podcast. Obviously I don't share them on X so much either, because X, from my perspective, is intended for more of the technical aspects of what I'm involved in. But if anybody is interested in my views on like I said, politics, geopolitics, diplomacy, war, whatever, all the soft stuff, also some tech stuff, but also a lot of the soft stuff. You can find that on Quora, where I post as I don't put up questions. Don't think I've ever actually put up a question, but I do post a lot of answers, and I've actually gotten a lot of views. So I've got over the years, I've gotten over six million views. I've been a top writer on several occasions and on several topics and in general. So if anybody is interested in that part of my life, just going to Quora and search for Dan Shapier and and see what I think, and see if it matches your opinions on stuff. All good, whether you agree or disagree.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: I can remember Quora being a thing way back. I didn't know it was still a thing to be understand.
Speaker 3: I don't don't stalk, you know, but I do get tens of thousands of views there on a weekly basis, so apparently people are still using it. I actually also think that AI agents use it a lot because it's it's information that's easily accessible and usable and rankable by by the various AI tools. So so like Wikipedia, it's a source of information for a lot of these agents.
Speaker 4: Mmm. Interesting, but anyway, be that is it made. That's my pick for today.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, and finally will save the best for last, Benicias, you got any picks for us?
Speaker 4: Yes, so set up a couple of times their focus from from Polking and really good reader for trying to wrap her head around you know this higher level concepts, how the platform can play or has played this this long game. It's really good information in general, but on a non technical one. For tomorrow, we're actually going to have the second season of Sandman on Netflix. As avid reader of the graphic novel and someone who really enjoys season one, I'm looking forward to that big time.
Speaker 2: Sandman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sandman.
Speaker 3: Sand Despite new game means fall from grace, It's still considered a very good read. It's a brilliant breed separating the artists from the art as it were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well, Sunman is a brilliant read. The show is really really good as well, the season one and season two. It's coming up soon, so I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, season one was good. I enjoyed season one.
Speaker 1: Yeah alrighty, So with that we will wrap up this episode of JavaScript Jabber. Thank you to Vinicius for joining us from Stockholm. My pleasure and hopefully we feat your interest in AI and dev tools, which I have to admit was a combination I had not a lot of before today. Thanks Dan for joining us and we will talk at you next time on JavaScript Jabber.
Speaker 4: Bye Nebe