Speaker 1: Have you ever stopped to think that ransomware, this thing that feels like a modern digital plague, isn't actually news a threat that's been quietly evolving for decades. What's really surprising, I think, is how it went from pretty simple beginnings to being this incredibly stealthy, sophisticated weapon we see today.
Speaker 2: Exactly, It's got quite a history.
Speaker 1: So today we're taking a deep dive into the world of ransomware. We're drawing insights straight from Revendrodos's book Ransomware Penetration Testing and Contingency Planning. Think of this as your shortcut to getting really well informed on well a super critical cybersecurity topic.
Speaker 2: It really is critical.
Speaker 1: We'll explore the well surprising timeline of how ransomware evolved, will dissect how big global events like the COVID nineteen pandemic totally reshape the threat landscape, and we'll unpack some infamous real world attacks.
Speaker 2: And crucially the defenses too.
Speaker 1: Right Most importantly, will uncover the practical strategies you really need to know for preventing and just as vital, recovering from these increasingly sophisticated threats. Expect some aha moments you know or covering everything from that agonizing question of whether to pay the ransom all the way to the strategic importance of things like penetration testing and solid contingency plans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not just about understanding the problem exactly.
Speaker 1: It's about equipping you with the knowledge to mitigate the risks and actually fortify your digital world. Okay, so let's start by rewinding way back nineteen eighty nine. Can you believe the very first ransomware attack, the AIDS trojan, was launched.
Speaker 2: Then it seems like ancient history and tech terms, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It really does. Joseph L. Pop, a biology professor, actually mailed out twenty thousand infected floppy discs floppy disks to attendees of a WHO conference.
Speaker 2: Wow physical media, right.
Speaker 1: The program encrypted their files and demanded a check, a physical check for one hundred and eighty nine dollars sent to an address in Panama. But interestingly, it was actually pretty easy to reverse engineer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't exactly technically sophisticated, even for the time, but it established the concept.
Speaker 1: It did earned Pop the informal title father of ransomware.
Speaker 2: What's really fascinating, though, is what happened next, or rather what didn't happen after that Aid's trojan. Things went quiet for well almost fifteen years in the ransomware world.
Speaker 1: Fifteen years. That's a long gap, it is.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't total inactivity. It was more like the quiet before the storm, you know, as the whole dot com thing boomed, two new variants sort of crept onto the scene. There was GP codes spread through malicious links and phishing emails demanded like twenty.
Speaker 1: Bucks, twenty dollars, okay, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Like the AIDS turgeon, it was pretty easily cracked. Then you had our achieves. Now this one actually tried using a much stronger encryption oneenty twenty four bit RSA. That was a big step up technically.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they were getting more ambitious definitely.
Speaker 2: But the attackers made a rookie mistake. They used weak passwords, so victims could still recover their data pretty easily. It shows this early kind of trial and error phase. Attackers were focused more on quantity getting it out there, not so much on sophistication.
Speaker 1: Yet setting the stage really.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it laid the groundwork for this relentless cat and mouse game we're still in today, every defense leads to a new attack method.
Speaker 1: Okay, Building on that, the twenty tens, this is where things got really serious, right. Ransomware strains became way more powerful, more in cities, a real turning point, absolutely.
Speaker 2: That's when we saw the locker variants pop up right.
Speaker 1: Rollmlock was the first one that actually locked users completely out of their devices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, total lockout. And then twenty twelve, Reveton arrived, and this was big because it introduced ransomware as a service race.
Speaker 1: So like cybercrime is a subscription model pretty.
Speaker 2: Much, allowing less skilled attackers to basically rent out attack capabilities on the dark web made it much more scalable. Reveton also did that thing where it accused victims of fake crimes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember that, like a fake FBI.
Speaker 2: Warning exactly, And it was a first to demand and bitcoin. That shift to virtual currency was huge untraceable payments.
Speaker 1: But the real game changer, the one everyone remembers from that era was Crypto Locker, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. Crypto Locker up the anti massively. It combined the locker idea with serious encryption. Crypto used a two thy forty eight bit RSA.
Speaker 1: Key which is really strong.
Speaker 2: Incredibly strong, made recovery basically impossible without paying for the key. It mostly spread through phishing attachments, you know, infected email attachments, and it was insanely profitable, pulled in nearly twenty seven million dollars in just two months.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven million. Wow. That kind of money definitely.
Speaker 2: Gets attention, It absolutely does, and that success naturally led attackers to think bigger, you know, expand their target.
Speaker 1: Right because up until around twenty fifteen, it was mostly Windows machines getting hit, wasn't.
Speaker 2: It Almost exclusively Windows? But then simple Locker showed up in twenty fifteen and it specifically went after Android phones, encrypting files on sd cars, documents, photos, videos, Mobile became a target yep, and another one locker Pin also hit Android. It didn't just encrypt, it locked the device and changed the pin. And crucially, there was a version called Linux dot and coder dot one made just for Linux systems, so.
Speaker 1: Linux two nowhere was safe.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. It signaled that no os, no device type was off limits anymore. The attack surface just exploded and.
Speaker 1: The escalation just kept going. Twenty sixteen to twenty twenty, ransomware went truly global and got way deadlier, a huge leap in well destructive power, it really did.
Speaker 2: We saw ransom thirty two impacting JavaScript. But then these four new global variants emerged that just changed everything. Okay, like what, Well, First you had Petya. This was the first one to lock the master boot record.
Speaker 1: The NBR, so it stops the computer from even starting up.
Speaker 2: Exactly, renders the whole system unusable before Windows even loads. Then Zcryptor was the first to use worms self replicating malware. It could spread incredibly fast, turning into a ransom.
Speaker 1: Worm spreading on its own scary very.
Speaker 2: Then, of course want to Cry one of the deadliest evers, infected over one hundred thousand devices one hundred and fifty countries, spread like wildfire using that internal blue vulnerability.
Speaker 1: The leaked NSA exploit.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the one. Then GoldenEye came along, basically a mashup of Petia and WannaCry, but with even stronger encryption.
Speaker 1: Just getting worse and worse.
Speaker 2: And then not Petya. This one added a terrifying twist. It didn't just lock files, it could actually delete them if the ransom wasn't paid quickly enough, delete them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh wow, that's a whole other level of pressure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely raising the stakes dramatically, which brings us closer to today. The twenty twenties marked another big shift, this time in attacker strategy.
Speaker 1: How So, we started.
Speaker 2: Seeing double extortion becoming really common. Attackers wouldn't just encrypt your files anymore. It also steal sensitive data like personally identifiable information PII.
Speaker 1: I'm threatened to leak it exactly.
Speaker 2: Leak it publicly or sell it on the dark web. Adds a whole new layer of pressure. You're not just worried about getting your systems back, You're worried about the massive data breach becoming public right.
Speaker 1: The reputational damage too huge.
Speaker 2: And alongside that we saw the rise of big game.
Speaker 1: Hunting, targeting the big fish precisely.
Speaker 2: Instead of spraying attacks widely, they started specifically targeting large corporations organizations they knew could afford massive ransoms. These attackers are patient, sophisticated. They might stock it systems for months looking for weaknesses, often exploiting things like Remote Desktop Protocol RDP or server flaws.
Speaker 1: Like that Revial attack in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: That's a prime example, affected over a million devices, through a supply chain attack demanding a staggering seventy million dollars shows just how targeted and potentially lucrative these operations became.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we move on, maybe we should quickly clarify something. People often use malware and ransomware interchangeably, right, But there's a difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good point. They're related, but not the same. Think of malware as the umbrella term for any malicious software, viruses, worms, spyware, adware, unise. It goal is usually to cause damage, disrupt systems.
Speaker 1: Or steal info, and ransomware is.
Speaker 2: Ransomware is a specific type of malware. Its primary defining purpose is extortion. It's designed specifically to lock you out of your device or encrypt your data and hold it hostage until you pay a ransom. It mainly spreads via phishing, and it's notoriously hard to remove without paying, which, as we'll discuss, is usually a bad idea.
Speaker 1: Whereas other malware can often be cleaned up by antivirus software.
Speaker 2: Often yes, standard antivirus or anti malware tools can frequently detect and remove many types of malware, Ransomware, especially the encrypting kind, is a much tougher beast once it's taken hold. The key difference is that extortion.
Speaker 1: Motive got it. Okay, so we've seen how the threats evolved. Now let's talk about how external events can just completely change the game. The COVID nineteen pandemic, I mean, it turned everything upside down almost overnight, didn't it force this massive rapid shift to remote work.
Speaker 2: Oh completely Suddenly you had what ninety nine percent of the workforce trying to connect remotely. That speed, that urgency to just get at working created huge cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Because security wasn't always the top priority in that scramble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, getting people connected was priority one. Security often came second, and that rapid shift created a whole new set of threats. You had home networks suddenly connecting directly to corporate networks, the lines totally creating backdoors that it security teams had a nightmare trying to patch and monitor. People were using personal devices, laptops, phones that often didn't have the same security standards as corporate equipment, easy entry points.
Speaker 1: And we saw things like zoom bombing too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that became a real issue. Uninvited people crashing video calls, sharing malicious or offensive content. Zoom patched it, sure, but it highlighted the risks, and other platforms like Microsoft Teams saw huge growth partly because of those concerns.
Speaker 1: And the existing tech struggled, like VPNs oh massively.
Speaker 2: Traditional virtual private new networks VPNs were mostly designed for maybe twenty thirty percent of staff working remotely. Sometimes they just weren't built to handle nearly everyone connecting all at once. They buckled under the strain, became slow, unreliable, and left big security holes attackers could exploit.
Speaker 1: So with traditional defenses like VPNs clearly struggling, what stepped up to fill the gap? How did companies adapt well?
Speaker 2: In direct response to those VPN weaknesses and the much bigger attack surface, Something called the next generation firewall really came into its own. It emerged as a much more powerful, more comprehensive substitute.
Speaker 1: Next generation firewall. What makes it next generation several things.
Speaker 2: First, it offers full network traffic visibility. It inspects every data packet, whether it's at the gateway, moving internally, externally, or even across cloud platforms. Total visibility, seeing everything right. Second, it uses AI and machine learning to stop threats immediately. Not just known viruses, but brand new threat vectors, specialized malware. It's never seen.
Speaker 1: Before proactive defense exactly.
Speaker 2: Third, it gives you really tight control over software as a service SAUCE applications. It monitors who's accessing what cloud apps, preventing rogue applications from causing trouble.
Speaker 1: Like controlling access to things like salesforce or office through sixty five precisely.
Speaker 2: And Fourth, and this is crucial, It automatically implements a zero trust framework.
Speaker 1: Zero trust that sounds important, What is it?
Speaker 2: It's a fundamental security principle, Never trust, always verify. It means you don't automatically trust anyone or anything trying to connect, even if they're already inside your network. It requires multiple layers of authentication for all employees, all devices, constantly verifying identity and permissions.
Speaker 1: No inherent trust makes sense anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, One more thing. It helps create secure access for third parties like suppliers or partners. Using a clientless SSL protocol makes those external connections basically invisible from the outside, harder for attackers to find and exploit.
Speaker 1: So comparing it to old school firewalls to big leap, isn't it huge?
Speaker 2: Traditional firewalls were like you know, digital bouncers. At the main gate, they checked who was coming in from the outside, but once you're inside, they didn't do much and they weren't designed for cloud stuff or sauce apps at all.
Speaker 1: So next gen firewalls protect the cloud.
Speaker 2: Too, yes, and sauce applications. They help mitigate identity theft because of things like zero trust. They fortify the internal network, not just the perimeter, and they allow for really granular access rules. You can set rules based on the specific employee, the device they're using, even the type of content they're trying to access.
Speaker 1: Much more specific control, much more.
Speaker 2: Traditional firewalls couldn't do anything like that. It's really a fundamental shift in how you approach defense, moving from just guarding the walls to constantly verifying everything happening inside and outside.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Now let's shift focus a bit. How does ransomware actually, you know, get onto your system in the first place. What are the main ways it's deployed.
Speaker 2: There are two primary methods attackers use. The first is what's called MOUSEPAM, basically malicious email phishing emails, yeah, exactly, emails with malicious attachments often disguised as invoices or important documents, maybe a dot ex file hid inside a ZIP or They have phony links that look legitimate but take you to a malicious site. They often use clever social engineering to trick you into clicking, making it look like it's from your bank or HR, creating a sense of.
Speaker 1: Urgency, preying on human psychology totally.
Speaker 2: The second main method is malvertizing malicious advertising. Right cyber attackers buy ad space on legitimate websites, but the ads themselves contain malicious code or link to malicious sites. You click on what looks like a normal ad, maybe even on a reputable news site, and you're infected. Well. Clicking the ad can trigger a couple of things. Sometimes it directly downloads malware. Other times it redirects you through a series of sites, often using hidden elements called iframes, which are like invisible web pages within the page you're seeing. These gather info about your computer location, browser type, vulnerabilities, and then deliver are the ransomware payload best suited to exploit your system. You might not even realize anything happen until the ransom note appears. Sneaky okay, so once it's deployed. Ransomware isn't just one thing, right, There are different types.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they generally fall into a few categories, kind of escalating in severity. First, you've got scareware.
Speaker 2: Scareware sounds like what it does pretty much.
Speaker 1: It's designed just to frighten you. You get annoying pop ups, maybe claiming your computers infected with hundreds of viruses, often mimicking real anti virus software warnings. They demand a small payment to fix the non existent problem.
Speaker 2: Annoying but maybe not devastating.
Speaker 1: Usually not installing real anti molware software generally gets rid of it. It's more of a nuisance designed to panning people into paying a small fee.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's next?
Speaker 1: Up the ladder screen lockers. These are more serious. They completely lock your computer screen. You can't access anything. Instead, you see a message, often claiming to be from law enforcement like the FBI or Secret Service.
Speaker 2: The fake FBI warning again.
Speaker 1: Exactly accusing you of some illicit activity like downloading illegal files or visiting prohibited websites, and demanding a hefty fine to unlock your computer. And people should know, real law enforcement doesn't operate.
Speaker 2: Like that, right, absolutely not. Everment agencies will never demand payment via pop up screen like that. With screen lockers, recovery often needs professional help. Sometimes, depending on the variant, the device might be effectively bricked.
Speaker 1: Ouch. Okay, So what's the worst time that would be?
Speaker 2: Encrypting ransomware This is the most common and damaging type today. It doesn't just lock your screen. It gets into your files, documents, photos, databases, everything and encrypts them using complex algorithms.
Speaker 1: So you can see the files, which you can't open them exactly.
Speaker 2: They're scrambled useless without the unique decryption key. The attackers then demand a large ransom, usually in bitcoin or another cryptocurrency, in exchange for that key.
Speaker 1: And do they actually give you the key if you pay?
Speaker 2: That's the big gamble. Some times yes, but very often attackers just disappear after getting paid, or the key they provide doesn't work properly, and because they use virtual currency, the payments are practically impossible to trace or recover. It's devastating because your data is effectively gone forever if you don't have backups.
Speaker 1: Which leads to that awful dilemma if you get hit. It's especially with encrypting ransomware. Do you pay? It must be an agonizing decision.
Speaker 2: It really is. For individuals. For huge companies, it's a terrible choice. On the one hand, paying might be the only way to get your data back if you don't have good backups. It's a small mite, though.
Speaker 1: But the downsides are huge.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely massive. First, there's zero guarantee you'll get a working key. You're dealing with criminals. Second, paying marks you or your organization as willing to pay. You become a prime target for future attacks, often with even higher demands.
Speaker 1: They know you're vulnerable and willing to cough up exactly.
Speaker 2: Third, the payments, usually bitcoin, are untraced. You won't get that money back. And fourth, this is a really serious one. Paying the ransom can actually be considered a crime in some circumstances, especially by the US federal government if the attackers are linked to sanctioned entities or state threat actors, paying could even be viewed as treason.
Speaker 1: Treason why yeah.
Speaker 2: And on top of all that, many cyber insurance policies may not cover losses if you choose to pay the ransom, although there have been high profile exceptions, like the Colonial pipeline case, where the impact on critical infrastructure complicated things but generally panning is strongly advised against.
Speaker 1: So the best approach is to avoid getting into that situation in the first place. How do you avoid having to make that choice?
Speaker 2: Proactive measures are absolutely everything. The number one thing backups, regular reliable backups. You should have daily backups, ideally following the three to one rule, at least three copies on two different types of media with one copy off site.
Speaker 1: Off site is key for things like fire or flood or even a really destructive attack.
Speaker 2: And beyond just off site storage, leveraging cloud infrastructure is a really smart move now platforms like Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services AWS.
Speaker 1: How does the cloud help specifically with ransomware?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're using virtual machines or vms in the cloud and one gets infected with ransomware, you can often just delete the infected VM and spin up a brand new, clean one from a backup image in minutes minutes.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly fast recovery compared to trying to decrypt exactly.
Speaker 2: It dramatically reduces downtime and pretty much eliminates the incentive to pay the ransom you just restore from your clean backup.
Speaker 1: Okay, backups are critical. What about protecting things inside the network, preventing the ransomware from spreading or gaining access in the first place.
Speaker 2: That's where identity and Access management or IAM comes in. IM solutions are crucial. They cover the three a's identification, who are you, authentication, prove it and authorization? What do you allowed to do?
Speaker 1: Like the digital gatekeeper inside the system?
Speaker 2: Precisely? Good IM involves things like automated logs tracking who accessed what when, tools for managing employee permissions efficiently, comprehensive databases of log in credentials securely stored.
Speaker 1: And there are specific guidelines within IM.
Speaker 2: Yes some key principles. First, role based access controls or RBAC. This means assigning permissions based strictly on someone's job function, give them only the minimum access they absolutely need to do their job. The principle of least privilege, so if an.
Speaker 1: Account gets compromised, the damage is limited.
Speaker 2: Exactly the attacker can only access what that specific user could access. Second, multi factor authentication MFA. Don't rely on just a password. Deploy at least three unique ways to verify identity.
Speaker 1: Like password plus a code from your phone plus maybe a fingerprint.
Speaker 2: Perfect example, password something you know a token or phone app, something you have, biometrics, something you are makes it much harder for attackers to gain access, even if they steal a password. In the third one, work segmentation. This is huge break down your IT infrastructure your network into smaller isolated segments or subnets. Each subnet should have its own security controls, maybe even its own MFA to move between segments.
Speaker 1: So if attackers get into one part, they can't easily move sideways to other parts of the network.
Speaker 2: That's the goal. It contains the breach, limits the attackers lateral movement and buys your security team time to respond.
Speaker 1: Okay, so backups, IAM, MFA, segmentation. These are all vital defenses. How do you pull this all together into a coherent plan before an attack happens.
Speaker 2: You need a comprehensive written ransomware plan and it needs several key ingredients. First, you need a designated response team. This has to be cross departmental IT security obviously, but also legal, HR, maybe finance and accounting. Everyone needs clearly assigned roles and responsibilities so.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows what to do when crisis hits exactly.
Speaker 2: Second, you need a clear first response strategy. What do you do in the first minutes the first hourly. It involves immediately disconnecting affected devices, isolating the malware to stop it spreading, and you must rehearse this regularly. Drills shorten response time dramatically.
Speaker 1: Practice makes perfect even in disaster.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Third, a solid communication plan Who calls whom You need a detailed cal tree with landline numbers, cell numbers, work emails, personal emails updated monthly because people change roles. Use the company intranet for internal alerts, but definitely avoid social media during an active attack.
Speaker 1: Why avoid social media?
Speaker 2: Attackers monitor it. It can spread misinformation or panic, and you can inadvertently reveal information they can use. Stick to controlled channels. Fourth, Obviously, your data backup plan needs to be a part of this, clearly defining who's responsible for executing backups and restorations right what else. Stakeholder notification. You need a plan for quickly notifying shareholders, key vendors, law enforcement and regulatory bodies. Failing to report a significant breach is often a serious offense, even af fect in some cases. And Finally, include your insurance policy information, key contacts, policy details, claim procedures. Your cyber insurance can be a crucial financial buffer, so know how to use it quickly.
Speaker 1: That's a lot to coordinate. Seems like planning is everything.
Speaker 2: It really is. Having that plan and practicing it is the difference between a manageable incident and a complete catastrophe.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift gears now and talk about one of the most well insidious ways these attacks happen supply chain attacks. We mentioned REvil using one. Can you unpack what that means?
Speaker 2: Yeah? A supply chain attack is particularly nasty because it doesn't target you directly. It targets one of your trusted third party vendors, maybe a software provider, a service supplier, someone whose products or services you rely on.
Speaker 1: So they attack the vendor to get to the vendor's customers.
Speaker 2: Exactly. By compromising the vendor, they can push malicious code or gain access to all the organizations that use that vendors software services. The solar Winds attack is probably the most famous and frankly terrifying example of this.
Speaker 1: Solar Winds, right, that was huge news. Remind us what happened there.
Speaker 2: Okay, So solar Winds is a big software company. They make it management and monitoring tools, and one of their main products is called Orion. It's used by thousands of organizations, including government agencies and major corporations to monitor their networks.
Speaker 1: So a really widely used, trusted.
Speaker 2: Tool, extremely trusted. The attackers, believed to be a sophisticated nation state group, didn't breach solar Wind's main network initially. Instead, they managed to inject malicious code into the software update process for Orion.
Speaker 1: Into the updates.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, so when solar Win's customers downloaded and installed what they thought was a legitimate routine software patch for Orion, they were unknowingly installing malware. It was disguised brilliantly affected over thirty thousand entities worldwide.
Speaker 1: Eventually, how do they even get into the update process?
Speaker 2: It seems they first gained access to solar Winds internal systems, possibly their software development environment, as early as October twenty nineteen, likely exploiting vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office three sixty five that solar Winds was using, so they.
Speaker 1: Were inside for months before deploying the malicious update.
Speaker 2: Potentially even longer. They inserted the main trojan horse malware dubbed Sunburst, into the build process around March twenty twenty. This created back doors in the infected customer systems. These back doors would then communicate very stealthily with command and control servers run by the attackers, allowing them to steal data, escalate privileges, and move laterally within the victim networks, and it looked legitimate completely. The malicious code was digitally signed using compromised or manipulated solar Wind certificates. It even had a built in delay. It would lie dormant for about fourteen days after installation before trying to call home to the attacker servers. This dormancy period helped to evade detection by security tools looking for immediate suspicious activity. It was incredibly patient, incredibly stealthy.
Speaker 1: That timeline is just staggering. You said they might have been in the zero is late twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Evidence suggests initial foothold possibly September twenty nineteen. They did a test run of the malicious code insertion in February twenty twenty. The somber erst malware went into the updates around March twenty twenty, but the world didn't know anything was wrong until December twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: December, so it was active for maybe eight or nine months undetected.
Speaker 2: At least. The first public sign was on December eighth, twenty twenty, when the cybersecurity firm FireEye announced they had been breached and their own red team tools were storn. Fire Eye got hit, yes, and while investigating their own breach, FireEye discovered the Solar Winds connection. Just a few days later, on December eleventh, they realized it was a massive supply chain attack involving the Orion platform.
Speaker 1: So FireEye finding their own breach actually uncovered the whole Solar Winds campaign largely.
Speaker 2: Yes. They notified Solar Winds on December twelfth, and the US National Security Council got involved immediately. Then things moved fast. December thirteenth, SISO ordered all US federal agencies to stop using Orion. Solar Winds rushed out temporary fifth FireEye publicly declared it a supply chain hack, hitting Fortune five hundreds. Microsoft detailed the customer impact, but December fifteenth, Solar Winds released proper software fixes. The first wave of high profile victims was identified, and SISA and the FBI launched formal investigations. The sheer length of the compromise before discovery is what's so chilling?
Speaker 1: Who are the victims you mentioned government agencies fortune five hundreds.
Speaker 2: The list is huge and likely still not fully known. Estimates are around eighteen thousand organizations downloaded the malicious update. Over forty major business entities were confirmed victims, about forty four percent of them tech companies, but it also included multiple US government departments Commerce, Defense, Energy, Homeland, Security, State, Treasury, even health. Plus big names like Microsoft, Intel, Cisco, Deloitte, FireEye itself, even Mount Sinai Hospital. It was incredibly widespread.
Speaker 1: What are the big lessons here for CIOs? For IT security teams? What should they take away from solar winds?
Speaker 2: Several critical lessons. First, vet your source code, especially third party code or components. You need processes to scan and test all code for malware before it gets deployed into your environment or products.
Speaker 1: Don't blindly trust updates you can't afford to.
Speaker 2: Second, rigorous third party vetting. Scrutinize the security procedures of your suppliers, not just before you sign a contract, but continually during the relationship, because legally and financially, you are often held responsible if their breach affects your customers or data.
Speaker 1: Your security is only as strong as your weakest supplier pretty much.
Speaker 2: Third, simplicity and your security stack. Don't just keep adding more and more tools. Invest in fewer, strategically deployed tools that integrate well. A complex, sprawling set of tools actually increases your attack surface and makes it harder to pinpoint real threats. Amidst all the noise, use AI and machine learning to help filter alerts. Okay, segmentation, we talked about it before, but solar winds drove it home. Implement zero trust by breaking your network into subnets with independent defenses. If the attackers had only been able to compromise one segment, the damage would have been far less. And finally, keep your technology updated. Get rid of outdated systems like traditional VPNs, move to things like next generation firewalls that offer better visibility and control, especially for cloud and hybrid environments.
Speaker 1: And the financial impact of solo winds must have been enormous.
Speaker 2: Estimates vary, but solar Winds itself reported costs around ninety million dollars initially. The total economic damage across all victims could potentially reach one hundred billion dollars. When you factor in investigation, remediation, loss, productivity, reputational damage, it's staggering.
Speaker 1: Okay, so solar winds showed the danger of attacks on our digital infrastructure, our software supply chains. You mentioned earlier there's been a shift towards targeting critical infrastructure. What does that mean exactly?
Speaker 2: It means attackers are increasingly targeting the physical systems that underpin modern society, not just data centers and software companies, but things like the electrical grid, water, tree treatment plants, transportation systems, oil and gas pipelines, manufacturing, even food distribution.
Speaker 1: The actual physical world.
Speaker 2: Exactly, systems where a cyber attack can have immediate, tangible, and potentially devastating real world consequences. Think about the impact of shutting down power to a city, or contaminating a water supply, or disrupting fuel distribution, like we saw with the Colonial pipeline.
Speaker 1: Plobial pipeline paid a ransom, didn't they four point four million dollars?
Speaker 2: They did. It caused massive fuel shortages along the US East Coast. Other high impact targets include nuclear facilities incredibly sensitive and disrupting the food supply chain. The potential for causing widespread panic or harm is enormous.
Speaker 1: Can you give some other examples of attacks on critical infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Sure Back in December twenty fifteen, Ukraine's power grades were hit. Attackers exploited outdated control systems known as SCATUS systems, using spear phishing emails to gain access. They cut power to about two hundred and thirty thousand residents.
Speaker 1: Wow. What else?
Speaker 2: There was an attack on a water dam in Ryebrook, New York. It actually happened back in twenty thirteen, but wasn't reported until twenty sixteen. A nation state actor, allegedly Iran, got into the dam's command center through Believe or Not a dial up motive.
Speaker 1: A dial up modem in twenty thirteen, YEP.
Speaker 2: Shows how outdated some of this infrastructure can be. Then there's the global financial messaging system Swift. The North Korean Lazarus Group gained access using stolen Swift loggins, trying to steal massive amounts of money and disrupting international.
Speaker 1: Banking financial infrastructure too definitely critical.
Speaker 2: We also saw spearfishing attempts targeting personnel at the Wolf Creek Nuclear Operating Corporation in Kansas, which exposed vulnerabilities potentially affecting nuclear facilities across the US, and more recently, the water supply in old smart Florida.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember that one.
Speaker 2: That was scary very An attacker got in using a remote access tool, exploiting an outdated operating system and weak passwords. They tried to increase the levels of sodium hydroxide LIE in the water to poisonous levels. Luckily, an employee noticed the changes on screen in real time and reversed it. But it was a terrifyingly close call.
Speaker 1: It really highlights the vulnerability. So why are these industrial control systems, these ICs that run everything so vulnerable?
Speaker 2: Several reasons rooted in their history. First, the idea of air gapping, keeping these systems totally isolated from the Internet is becoming almost impossible. Why the industrial Internet of Things.
Speaker 1: Or IoT connecting industrial machines to the Internet.
Speaker 2: Right for remote monitoring, predictive maintenance, efficiency gains, but it connects previously isolated systems vastly expanding the attack surface. And these legacy systems, they're often really hard to upgrade or patch without disrupting critical operations.
Speaker 1: They weren't built with Internet connectivity in mind, not at all.
Speaker 2: Second, much of the hardware and software is ancient. We're talking about PLCs, programmable logic controllers RTUs Remote terminal units DCS's distributed control systems that might date back to the seventies or eighties. They often lack basic authentication or encryption. Attackers can potentially just connect and send commands to shut things down, and they might be running on ancient operating systems like Windows and T or Windows XP, which are full of known unpatched vulnerabilities win tos XP still in some critical infrastructure settings Unfortunately. Yes, Third, there's often a lack of visibility. Unlike modern IT networks or cloud environments, where you have lots of monitoring tools, it's much harder to see suspicious activity. Within these older ICs environments, Attackers can lurk undetected for longer, harder to spot the intrusion much harder. And Fourth, outdated communication protocols. Many ICs systems use proprietary protocols developed decades ago. These weren't designed with security in mind and can have built in back doors or weaknesses that allow attackers to intercept or even change the commands being sent, altering the physical process the system controls. They could subtly change chemical mixtures or pressure levels or timing, causing failures or dangerous cans.
Speaker 1: So specifically focusing on SCATA systems supervisory control and data acquisition, which are key for managing things like power grids and water plants. What are their main security issues?
Speaker 2: SCATA systems really embody these challenges. They suffer from outdated technologies because historically the focus was entirely on physical security fences, guards, locked rooms, not cybersecurity. Adding modern security tools can actually cause problems breaking compatibility with the older SCATIC components.
Speaker 1: Trying to bolt modern security onto old systems.
Speaker 2: It often doesn't work well. They also have this issue of open visibility. Sometimes the physical layouts might be widely known, making them vulnerable to insider attacks or targeted physical sabotage. And like we said, they were designed to be isolated, but now they're increasingly networked via IoT, dramatically expanding that attack surface without fundamentally upgrading the core security.
Speaker 1: Have there been specific SCATA system exploits.
Speaker 2: Yes, Schneider Electric, a major SCAT of vendor, had vulnerabilities discovered in their firmware that could allow attackers to gain control over immergency shut down systems. Incredibly dangerous. There were attax targeting power line SCATA systems in the US in twenty eighteen, and a major European energy company's SCATA network was breached in twenty sixteen. These systems are definitely being targeted.
Speaker 1: So how do you even begin to secure these vital but often old SCATA systems.
Speaker 2: It's a huge challenge requires a multi layered approach. First, you have to map out all connections, ascertain what's connected, why, and disconnect anything that's unnecessary. Then art in the connections that must remain strong encryption, authentication, firewalls, avoid implementing new proprietary protocols, stick to modern secure standards.
Speaker 1: Where possible, testing is important too, presumably.
Speaker 2: Crucial, conduct regular penetration testing specifically targeting the SCATA environment. Do threat hunting exercises, deploy specialized firewalls and intrusion detection systems designed for ICs environments around the SCATA network segments. Regular risk assessments are vital, as our Red Team exercises similar lating realistic.
Speaker 1: Attack scenarios and the human element absolutely key to.
Speaker 2: Find clear roles and responsibilities for who manages SCAT of security, and just like in corporate it implement and religiously practice robust data backup, incident response and disaster recovery plans specifically tailored to the SCATA environment and the critical processes it controls.
Speaker 1: Looking ahead, then, what's the future hold for ransomware targeting critical infrastructure? What should we expect?
Speaker 2: Well, Segmentation will continue to be a major challenge because of all that legacy tech. It's hard to carve up systems that were never designed for it. The risks associated with the industrial Internet of Things might actually slow down IoT adoption in some critical sectors if they can't get the security right.
Speaker 1: A backlash against connectivity.
Speaker 2: Potentially, or at least a much more cautious approach. We'll almost certainly see escalating financial damage from attacks, higher ransom demands, multimillion dollar recovery costs, longer outages. This will likely force closer collaboration between critical infrastructure operators and the cybersecrecurity industry, a real push towards shared.
Speaker 1: Responsibility more partnerships.
Speaker 2: Definitely, we'll also see increased demand for cybersecurity insurance policies specifically covering critical infrastructure incidents as organizations try to buffer the financial blow. And while some partial migration to cloud technologies for non core functions might happen, a full cloud migration for the core control systems seems unlikely in the near term, just because those legacy technologies are so deeply embedded.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a really complex, high stakes problem for the future.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is, which underscores why proactive defense and testing are so incredibly important.
Speaker 1: Which brings us nicely to penetration testing. You've mentioned it a few times, let's really dive into that. What exactly is penetration testing?
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you want to know how strong your defenses really are, penetration testing or pen testing is arguably the best way to find out before a real attacker does. It's essentially ethical hacking.
Speaker 1: Ethical hacking, right.
Speaker 2: You hire certify security professionals, individuals or teams to legally and ethically try to break into your systems, your network, your applications. Their goals to find vulnerabilities, both the ones you might already know about and crucially the unknown ones, the hidden back doors or.
Speaker 1: Weaknesses, so they think like an attacker.
Speaker 2: Exactly like an attacker, they use the same tools and techniques. After the test, they compile a detailed report outlining everything they found, how they got in, how severe the vulnerabilities are, and specific recommendations on how to fix them. It's a proactive, deep assessment of your actual security posture, not just a theoretical check.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's legal, it's planned. What are some other key characteristics.
Speaker 2: Well, it's always bound by a strict legal contract outlining the scope what they can and can't do. They must follow the law. Client notification and approval are required for risky actions. The detailed reports are a key deliverable that roadmap for improvement. It takes time, could be days, weeks, even months. For a complex environment.
Speaker 1: It's not a quick scan then.
Speaker 2: Definitely not. It usually involves specialized teams we can talk about Red, Blue and Pupple teams can be done remotely trying to breach from the outside or on site testing internal defenses. And while automation AI machine learning can assist the human element, the creativity and ingenuity of the ethical hacker is absolutely crucial for finding those non obvious flaws you mentioned.
Speaker 1: It's not just a quick scan. How does pen testing differ from say, vulnerability scanning. People sometimes confuse those.
Speaker 2: That's a really important distinction. They both aim to find weaknesses, but they're very different processes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's vulnerability scanning.
Speaker 2: Vulnerability scanning is typically automated. You run software tools that scan your systems and networks looking for non vulnerabilities, checking against databases of published cvees, common vulnerabilities and exposures.
Speaker 1: So looking for publicly known flaws exactly.
Speaker 2: It's usually quick, minutes or hours. The report you get is often quite general, listing potential vulnerabilities found, but usually without confirming if they're actually exploitable. We're giving detailed remediation steps. It's affordable, so you can run scans frequently, even continuously. Think of it as a passive test, like getting an EKG for your network. It shows surface level issues.
Speaker 1: Okay, so vulnerability scanning is automated, quick finds non issues, passive. How does pen testing compare?
Speaker 2: Pen testing is a much deeper dive. It's primarily manual conducted by skilled ethical hackers, although they use automated tools as part of their toolkit. It takes much longer days or weeks. Crucially, it looks for both known and unknown vulnerabilities. They're actively trying to exploit weaknesses, chain them together, find those covert back doors that a simple scan would miss.
Speaker 1: So it's an active test very much so more.
Speaker 2: Like an angiogram, actively probing and testing the system's resilience. Pen testing can also assess things vulnerability scanning can't touch, like physical security weaknesses. Can they tailgate into the building, clone an ID badge and it heavily tests human vulnerability through social engineering? Can they trick an employee into giving up credentials or clicking a malicious link. It can be internal testing defenses from within the network or external attacking from the outside like a real adversary.
Speaker 1: It sounds much more comprehensive. You mentioned different teams of all red, blue, purple right.
Speaker 2: These terms describe different roles within a pen testing engagement, or sometimes within an organization's ongoing security operations. The red team are the attackers, the.
Speaker 1: Ethical hackers trying to break in.
Speaker 2: Exactly, they simulate real adversaries using their techniques to breach defenses. They focus on finding access methods, thinking creatively about how to get in, not just hitting known targets. They often use a layered approach, trying multiple attack vectors simultaneously. Their goal is to breach the defenses by any means necessary within the agreed scope, providing an unbiased, holistic view of where the weaknesses truly lie?
Speaker 1: Okay, So if the Red team is attacking, who's defending?
Speaker 2: That's the Blue Team. The Blue Team are the defenders during a test. They're the ones trying to detect and respond to the Red team's attacks, often working closely with the client's internal IT security team. Their responsibilities include preparedness, are the defenses configured correctly? Thread identification? Can they see the attack happening? Containment, using the incident response plan to stop the bleeding, recovery using the disaster recovery plan, and then analyzing what happened forensics lessons learned. They also focus on hardening systems and managing perimeter defenses day to day.
Speaker 1: So Red attacks Blue defense, What does the Purple Team do?
Speaker 2: The Purple Team acts as a kind of bridge or mediator between Red and Blue. They're a neutral party focused on maximizing the effectiveness and learning from the entire exercise. They might evaluate the security controls the Blue team has in place, brainstorm new attack scenarios for the Red team based on emerging threats, and audit how well the Blue team detected and responded. They facilitate communication and information sharing between the two teams, ensuring the client gets the maximum value and improvement out of the engagement.
Speaker 1: Interesting, so maximizing the learning. Now. Within PEN testing itself, are there different approaches depending on how much information the testers.
Speaker 2: Have yes generally three main types. White box testing is when the PEN testers have full knowledge of the target system beforehand, network diagrams, source code, administrator credentials, everything. This is often used for testing internal IT infrastructure thoroughly, where you won't find every possible flaw, so they have the blueprints exactly. Then there's black box testing. Here the testers have zero prior knowledge of the target system, just maybe a company name or an IP address range. They have to discover everything from the outside, just like a real external attacker would. This is often favored because it provides the most realistic simulation of an external.
Speaker 1: Threat starting from scratch.
Speaker 2: And the third gray box testing. This is a hybrid approach. The testers have some limited knowledge, maybe user level credentials or some understanding of the system architecture, but not full administrator access or complete blueprints. This is often used for things like testing web application source code efficiently, providing a balance between the depth of white box and the realism of black box.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. You mentioned testing web apps. How important is PEN testing during the actual software development process? Should you wait until the end?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not wait until the end, But that's a critical point. Pen testing shouldn't be an afterthought you tack on just before release. It needs to be integrated throughout the software development life cycle. The SDLC why test early and often several reasons. First, it helps you stay ahead of the curve. Automated hacking tools are constantly evolving. Testing during development helps find flaws before those tools can exploit them in production. Second, finding and fixing vulnerabilities early is vastly cheaper and less disruptive than finding them late in the cycle or after release. It ensures smoother transitions between development stages and helps meet delivery.
Speaker 1: Deadlines less costly, rework much less.
Speaker 2: Third, it helps detect vulnerabilities you might inherit, especially if you're using third party libraries or code components. You need to test those two. Fourth, it prepares your development and operations teams for worst case scenarios. Practicing response during development builds muscle memory, enabling quicker reaction and reduce downtime if a real attack occurs later. And Finally, it's often required for compliance regulations like hip hop gepr ISO twenty seventh zero one, pcidss NIS standards many mandate regular penetration testing. Integrating it into the SDLC helps ensure you meet those requirements continuously shift.
Speaker 1: Left security, build it in from the start.
Speaker 2: Exactly, don't just test for bugs, test for security flaws throughout.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what does the actual process of a penetration test look like? What are the steps the ethical hackers take?
Speaker 2: It follows a pretty methodical approach, mimicking how real attackers often operate. Step one is reconnaissance, gathering information right studying the target. This involves passive techniques like internet searches, looking up domain registration info, checking social media, even physical techniques like dumpster diving sometimes and active techniques like network stanning to identify live hosts, open ports, and running services. Social engineering is often heavily used in this phase, too, trying to gather intelligence from employees.
Speaker 1: Learning as much as possible before attacking. What's next.
Speaker 2: Step two is scanning. Building on the reconnaissance, they use various tools to actively probe the identified targets for vulnerabilities, scanning digital assets like cloud instances, servers, email systems, websites source code. They're looking for specific weaknesses they can potentially exploit. This phase can also include scanning physical security controls if that's in scope.
Speaker 1: Finding the weak points, yeah.
Speaker 2: Step three is gaining access. This is where they attempt to exploit the vulnerabilities found during scanning to actually infiltrate the system or network. They might use an exploit kit, crack passwords, bypass security controls find those unknown backdoors. The goal is to get that initial foothold. Often they'll try to establish multiple points of entry if.
Speaker 1: Possible, getting inside, and once they're in.
Speaker 2: Step four is maintaining access exploitation. Once inside, they try to maintain their presence, often installing persistent back doors and escalate their privileges to gain deeper control. Then comes the exploitation part, but in a controlled way. They might deploy simulated malicious payloads, demonstrating things like sequel injection, planting inert trojans or worms, using key loggers without causing actual damage. The goal is to demonstrate impact. They might also try to expltrate small amounts of nonsensitive data slowly to show they can bypass data loss prevention systems without triggering alarms It's all about proving the vulnerability and its potential impact in a safe, controlled manner.
Speaker 1: A controlled demonstration of harm makes sense. Yeah, what kinds of things typically get targeted in a PEN test?
Speaker 2: It covers a wide range, reflecting the modern IT landscape. Web applications are a huge target looking for flaws like Cross's scripting exss SQL injection, insecure authentication mobile applications to both the app itself on the device client side and the server site APIs it communicates with, plus authentication and MFA controls networks definitely. Network infrastructure is core testing firewalls, routers, switches, wireless networks, network protocols, ssltls, certificate security. Cloud environments are increasingly critical targets. Testing the security of virtual machines, cloud databases, storage configurations, identity management in the cloud.
Speaker 1: Cloud containers too like Docker.
Speaker 2: Absolutely testing container configurations, image security orchestration platforms like Kubernetes, and don't forget wireless devices and networks. Testing Wi Fi security protocols, authentication methods, potential rogue access points, and any server site issues related to wireless access. Basically anyway an attacker might try to get in.
Speaker 1: It covers a lot of ground. Are there specific tools these pen testers use?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a whole arsenal of tools, many of them open source. They fall into different categories. For network scanning and analysis, tools like endmap and wireshark are standards for exploitation. The metasploit framework is incredibly powerful for password cracking, John the ripper or hashcat. For web application testing, burp suite and skull map are very common. Kali Linux is a popular operating system distribution that comes preloaded with hundreds of security testing tools.
Speaker 1: So a lot of specialized software. You also mentioned as a service model emerging.
Speaker 2: Paid ass yes penetration Testing as a service or TAS. It's a newer delivery model. Instead of commissioning a single large, time bound pen test project, paid as platforms offer more flexibility. You might get a combination of automated scanning and access to human testers on demand or via subscription.
Speaker 1: What are the pros and cons.
Speaker 2: Well, Advantages can include potentially faster hiring of testing teams maybe two hundred and forty seven monitoring capabilities, often more affordable pricing structures compared to massive one off tests, quicker reporting through the platform, and better integration with modern development workflows like devox or DevSecOps sounds good. Any downsides, pricing can be variable and sometimes complex to predict, and it might not be ideal for really deep, complex bespoke testing scenarios where you need a dedicated team spending weeks understanding a unique environment. The key takeaway, though, whether it's traditional pen testing or PIS, is that the best results almost always come from a combination of technology and skilled human intervention. You can't rely solely on automation, nor can you ignore the efficiency tools provide. The human expertise and creativity remain.
Speaker 1: Vital technology plus human intelligence. Okay, so pen testing helps you find weaknesses before an attack. But what happens if despite your best efforts, an attack does succeed. Let's talk about recovery, right.
Speaker 2: If the worst happens, containing the damage and recovering quickly requires having solid plans in place beforehand. We're talking primarily about two key plans here, an incident response plan and a disaster recovery plan. They sound similar, but they focus on different things.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's break them down. What's an incident response plan or IR plan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, an IR plan is your detailed, written, pre approved playbook for handling a security incident like a ransomware attack, a data breach, anything while it's happening and immediately after. It guides your organization through the entire life cycle of an incident.
Speaker 1: What's that life cycle look like?
Speaker 2: Generally it follows a flow preparation, having the plan, then detection and analysis. How do you spot an incident and figure out what's going on? Then containment, stop the bleeding, eradication, get rid of the threat, recovery, get systems back online, and finally post incident activity lessons learned, forensics reporting, It's a cycle.
Speaker 1: And what goes into the plan itself.
Speaker 2: Key components include identifying your core IR communications team who needs to be in the loop usually CEO, CFO, CIO or CISO, PR, investor relations HR, maybe key sales or marketing leads. Establishing clear mechanisms for employees to report potential threats they see, having pre drafted risk messaging to templates for internal and external comms, Creating those internal contact rosters the call trees we mentioned, updated monthly and trucially. Identifying and establishing relationships with key external stakeholders before you need them major investors, key customers, critical vendors, law enforcement, contacts regulatory bodies.
Speaker 1: Why is having that quick response so important? What are the benefits?
Speaker 2: Huge benefits. A fast, well executed response minimizes downtime and financial impact. It reduces the chance for attackers to exploit more vulnerabilities or steal more data. It helps prevent the same attack from happening again, done well with timely and transparent communication, it can actually help build customer trust showing your handling the situation responsibly, and it preserves evidence vital for forensic investigation and potential legal action later.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the IR plan handles the immediate crisis. What about the disaster Recovery plan the DRP.
Speaker 2: The DRP is more focused on the aftermath of a major incident, specifically on getting the IT infrastructure and business operations back up and running as quickly as possible, even if it's initially at a minimal level. It's primarily concerned with recovering from data loss and restoring system functionality. Think of it as the short term technical recovery plan.
Speaker 1: What are the key parts of a DRP.
Speaker 2: You need a dedicated disaster recovery team again with clear roles and contact info. You need a plan for potentially moving employee equipment if a physical site is unusable. Implementing and verifying those daily data backup checks is core to the DRP. Ensuring backups are actually usable. You need processes for restoring operations with your vendors if their services are critical at clear process for document recovery. How do you get essential files back?
Speaker 1: So IR is managing the fire, DR is rebuilding afterwards. Is there another piece? I think I've heard of? Business continuity plans?
Speaker 2: Yes, the business continuity plan or BCP is the third leg of the stool. It's broader than dr The BCP is a detailed, overarching strategy to ensure the entire organization can prevent or rapidly recover from any significant operational disruption and maintain essential business functions long term. It's about overall business resilience, so.
Speaker 1: More strategic longer term survival exactly.
Speaker 2: Components include regular risk assessments identifying all potential disruptions not just cybertax, fire, flood, pandemic, supply chain failure, planning for technology needs remote versus physical work locations on premise versus cloud infrastructure dependencies, ensuring power supply, restoration generators, alternative power plans, establishing resilient communication infrastructure, maybe using Ukere's Unified Communications as a service, Planning for vendor relations, especially if they suffer a breach that impacts your supply chain, and critically analyzing recovery time objectives rtos and recovery point objectives RPOs and the associated budget needed so you can continuously improve resilience over time. The BCP keeps the business running, not just the IT systems.
Speaker 1: IRDR BCP seems like a lot of planning. What's the absolute key to making them effective?
Speaker 2: The single most important thing practice? These plans ir DR BCP cannot be static documents sitting on a shelf collecting dust. They must be tested and practiced regularly, at least quarterly.
Speaker 1: How do you practice them.
Speaker 2: Through things like tabletop exercises where you walk through scenarios on paper, or even full simulations mimicking a real event. You have to update the plans with lessons learned from each test and keeping that contact information for all team members absolutely current is vital. Without regular practice and updates, even the most detailed plan will likely fail under the pressure of a real crisis.
Speaker 1: A practice, practice practice got it. So if we boil everything down, all the defenses, all the plans. What's one of those critical things for actually recovering from a ransomware attack?
Speaker 2: If I had to pick one thing, it comes back to backups. Having a robust, well tested data backup plan and diligently enforcing it is still one of the single best ways to ensure you can recover without paying the ransom. It's your ultimate safety net.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and making that safety net really strong requires a smart strategy, right, not just one backup.
Speaker 2: Definitely multifaceted. Keep backups in different locations on site for quick restores of small things off site, physically separate for major disasters, and leverage cloud platforms like AWS or Azure. They offer incredible resilience and affordability, plus that rapid VM recovery we talked about.
Speaker 1: What about overriding backups?
Speaker 2: Don't do it. Keep separate versioned backups, even if it costs a bit more in storage. If your latest backup gets corrupted or includes the ransomware itself, you need older, clean versions to fall back on. Use diverse strategies too, maybe full backups, weekly, incremental or differential backups daily, balance recovery speed needs with storage space.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned backing up the catalogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a detail people often miss. The backup software uses a catalog file to keep track of where all your backup data is stored across different tapes or discs. If you lose the catalog, restoring can be a nightmare, even if you have the data tapes. Back up the catalog itself.
Speaker 1: Good tip anything else in backup.
Speaker 2: Back up your critical processes and configurations, not just raw data. How do you rebuild that essential server? What are the steps? Document it and back up that documentation? Test your backup restoration plan regularly, at least every couple of months. A backup is useless if you can't actually restore from it. Verification is key, absolutely, and really embrace the cloud's potential here. If a VM gets infected, delete it, spin up a clean one from a cloud backup in minutes. You can even back up entire cloud data centers to different geographic regions. That level of resilience was unthinkable just a few years ago for most organizations.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered so much ground the history that defense is the recovery. As we wrap up, I want to leave our listeners with a final thought. Something really critical from Revendra DOS's book and echoed by most experts.
Speaker 2: I think I know where you're going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, never ever pay the cyber attacker.
Speaker 2: It seems counterintuitive sometimes, especially when you're desperate, but it's almost always the right advice.
Speaker 1: Why is it's so important not to pay. Let's recap that.
Speaker 2: Well, as we said, there's absolutely no guarantee you'll get your data back or get a working key. Paying just confirms to them and other attackers that ransomware works, fueling more attacks and potentially higher demands next time. It directly funds criminal enterprises. It can in some cases be deemed a crime itself, even treason, and your insurance carrier is very unlikely to cover a ransom payment you make voluntarily. You risk everything, gain nothing certain, and make the overall problem worse.
Speaker 1: So the focus has to be on resilience, on backups, on those IRDR and BCP plans we talked about exactly.
Speaker 2: Prevention is ideal, but robust recovery capability is your ultimate defense against extortion.
Speaker 1: You know, understanding all this, taking this deem dive, it isn't just about accumulating knowledge. It's really about empowerment, isn't It absolutely is so being proactive, being resilient in a world where the cyber threats are just well, there are persistent reality. Now hopefully you are listeners. Now feel better equipped to ask the right questions whether it's your workplace or for your own personal security, and to start building stronger defenses in your own digital world