Speaker 1: Astonishing Legends Network.
Speaker 2: It's Flashback Friday, and you know what that means. A classic episode of Scared all the time's fan favorite bonus show, New Fear Unlocked is out of the vault and on the main feed.
Speaker 3: This episode originally aired on Patreon September eleventh, twenty twenty five, but is being played by you right now.
Speaker 4: Disclaimer. This episode includes the usual amount of adult language and graphic discussions you've come to expect around here, but in the event it becomes an unusual amount, expect another call from me.
Speaker 5: You can't take a week. So it's not the Trump with something half feightycent.
Speaker 6: That which is.
Speaker 2: Wait, decent?
Speaker 6: So when do a lime.
Speaker 7: Bonus episode?
Speaker 1: And the name new kind of show?
Speaker 7: Did you read the post?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: And now and now.
Speaker 6: Hey everybody, Welcome back to New Fear Unlocked Video edition in September.
Speaker 7: Take two.
Speaker 6: Take two, we're learning. You're seeing some new angles, a lot of new angles, but some new angles, more of Chris's face, a little bit more of my face. I'm not completely hidden behind a microphone, not that I think you're watching to uh see that good of a look at us, but I do feel like it's a little weird if one of us is looks human in the other looks.
Speaker 7: Like a just a fat guy.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say a microphone stand.
Speaker 7: But oh, because I'm the human one in this, you're the human one.
Speaker 6: So I'm holding the mic. Now we'll see how that works, and hopefully I'm worried that if I'm holding it, I'm going to crunch forward a lot because I'm reading off the article here.
Speaker 7: So I think it's a good time for people to write in the comments that there is an audio medium, that this is a supplemental aspect too. So yeah, because you know what we're not. We don't have to play these cameras. No one's going to be looking into our eyes. They are still going to be driving, They're still going to be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we're going to play this sort of fly on the wall style in the first version, first first take the first episode, I was trying to look at my at the audience a little bit no way, but now I kind of feel like, I don't know, maybe that looked weird.
Speaker 7: I can't do any of my legs, so it's like I'm not trying to perform.
Speaker 6: Yeah, fair enough. Yeah, well, we aren't here to discuss our two cameras set up.
Speaker 7: Which is the whole world has used three cameras. We just don't have a third camera. We're already borrowing the working on it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're working on it. No, what we are here to discuss today is a very concerning lifestyle creep that I think we've just I know we've discussed on the show before, the seed of this, which is the reborn doll. Oh. Yeah, so in our Dolls episode with Dolls coming out soon.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we'll have a link for that when it's us. We're very excited to read it.
Speaker 6: We discussed the horrifying world of reborn dolls, which for the uninitiated.
Speaker 7: Are stop right now and go listen to other episode top right now and goes to that episode, because we're not going to finish the sentence.
Speaker 6: But the reborn dolls are these incredibly lifelike looking baby dolls.
Speaker 7: I'll probably put one up on the screen around here.
Speaker 6: That are theoretically created for women who are suffering sort of lost. Yeah, then, and they need some kind of a psychological anchor, yeah, tether to the world. But they've become extremely popular with there are people who don't have these problems and it's a little bit weird because the babies, you just gotta go look them up, because if you've never seen one of these, they are they are chillingly realistic, but they're in that they're in the uncanny valley where they seem dead eyed. You look at it and you're like a bit.
Speaker 7: And it's from a distance, you saw it in a stroller. You're like, that's a real fucking baby. It would be a very convincing, like on screen movie baby if it's just over their shoulder.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I wonder why Clint Eastwood didn't use one in American Sniper because that baby doll they had in that movie was I never saw it five dollars baby doll. And I know these existed back then.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the baby think baby from Trainspotting on the Ceiling is the baby I always go to for movie babies, and that was terrifying. Yeah, couldn't use the reborn.
Speaker 6: I don't know if they had reborns for back then.
Speaker 7: No, it's how they got the edge of train spotting.
Speaker 6: But these reborn dolls are taking over social media in Brazil. Okay, so I found an article that walks us through sort of the weird spread of how these babies are getting their toothless little mouths onto the women and I think some men of Brazil. Okay, so this is from the New York Times, a New York Times feeling New York Times, but a much more reputable paper than most of the dog shit that we website.
Speaker 7: This for this lawyer's website.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this article starts. A young woman posts a video that appears to show her holding her baby Bento and packing his bag for a trip to the hospital. She calls it one of the busiest and scariest days for me, So right off the top, that's why you're here scared. She's scared, She's scared.
Speaker 7: He here first after the New York Times.
Speaker 6: She grabs onesies, a bottle in medical documents and tucks him Bento in the back of a car. At the hospital, he's weighed and lies in a bed where she removes his pacifier, bottle feeds him and wipes a few drops of formula from his cheek. But this was not an actual medical emergency. It was role playing by a content creator, and the baby was not a real baby. It was a shockingly lifelike doll called a reborn doll, which as we just mentioned, is handcrafted to look and feel like a baby.
Speaker 7: Sure this might see some of these medical papers she had for that she scooped up.
Speaker 6: This video received more than sixteen million views on TikTok. It's doing better than us, and is it doing way better than us? Maybe that's what we need.
Speaker 7: Is we need to have a reborn with her.
Speaker 6: I get my real baby.
Speaker 7: I just made that little baby outfit too.
Speaker 6: Ed made a good scared all the time onesie for Felix in his trip to Greece. But maybe we need a fake Felix.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for the show, we'll see a reborn. We'll sponsor. It's probably not have the two episodes we've talked on them.
Speaker 6: But probably not. This video over see more than sixty million views on TikTok, and it's part of a social media craze. It has turned into a cultural and political flashpoint in Brazil.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: Widely circulated videos show women taking hyper realistic dolls to the park and strollers, celebrating their birthdays with cake and songs, and simulating childbirth, which depending on how well simulated. I feel like there's some crimes being committed just to set up the simulation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. Fuck yeah, I guess. I'm sure we can google that, but I don't want to.
Speaker 6: If you put a reborn baby doll inside someone into your own womb, I guess it's maybe not a crime.
Speaker 7: I don't know. I mean how the body works. So I imagine if I had to do it, Yeah, I guess I would take the head off the baby, put that in the vagina, get that shot on camera, then cut to the whole thing being taken out, so you have the like crowning if we're making the movie of this person's reborn doll. Yeah, you get the crowning. Hard cut too full baby, because I don't know why you're putting the legs and everything in there.
Speaker 6: This reminds me of a I have this memory.
Speaker 7: Discussion we should never have public.
Speaker 6: I have this memory of being at my friend's house in like seventh grade and flipping through the channels and we passed like a medical documentary or miracle of life you'll see, and I as we flip past it, I swear to God, this baby there was a woman like giving birth and the baby like like shot out. Oh this and I but I'd never seen a baby being born before and so for like a long time, I thought babies had momentum welling out.
Speaker 7: I just had drinks with a friend of ours, yeah, who recently had a baby, and they mentioned that their baby shot out.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, so this happened in that.
Speaker 7: They were very concerned that the nurse on the radio or whomever it was who was there to they barely reacted in time like they catch the baby. They said, the baby flipped one time, like flipped forward like a somersaulted out of our friends.
Speaker 6: This seems like an even more poorly remembered memory than mine, because now this this sounds like a Naruto.
Speaker 7: Baby with those weapons arms dude, like running out.
Speaker 6: Damn.
Speaker 7: But yeah, because they were like, is this person about the drop my child around? Because it shot out so aggressively.
Speaker 6: You want to see you want to see the champagne acting that way, not the baby.
Speaker 7: You know they don't want But I'm just saying that maybe that's a thing. That's why they caught it on TLC. And then this person just the other day was like, yoh, fucking fire out of my wife.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, that's I mean, that's good to know that I saw something that was accurate. I guess it was not. When Felix was born, he shot nowhere. He was a very slow He's just dripped out one at a time. A few of these women even simulate the dolls having a nosebleed or potty training, which, again, where are we getting this blood ship? Where are we getting this ship? I assume it's probably not. Maybe they're just using like brownies and ketchup or something.
Speaker 7: I would hope, But.
Speaker 6: Then you go, I don't know how easy is to clean these things. They're very realistic, but that I don't know what the actual I mean, they kind of look like vinyly some of them.
Speaker 7: Or Yeah, I don't know what their texture is, and I don't honestly want to find out.
Speaker 6: No, I touching them has gotta be well. I think maybe that's part of what I I've talked before about how I hate the idea of touching a smurf. Yeah, because they feel they feel like they'd be dolphin skin, and I feel like these babies have similar there's a quote here. Yeah, the ones I like the most are the newborns, said Juliana Drew's todd. I mean, if you look at this photo, we'll put this photo up. These are multiple ages.
Speaker 7: Oh, the one in the back is like unless it has working legs.
Speaker 6: That one's in daycare. And this one on the side here.
Speaker 7: It just came out of just came just flew out, just dripped out, popped through. But the one in the back, so the baby, I don't because it's you buy the little baby ones, you swaddle it, you hole it, you can walk around with it. You buy that one in the back, and you're just like drag and its legs and shit across it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it looks like just a bratty child that you have to pretend to punish.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it's also big enough. That's the practicing they're doing it, just punishing, but it's also fast the corner. It's just big enough that people will judge you if it's still in a stroller.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 6: Juliana Drew's Magri thirty six, lives in Kurtiba, the capital of the Brazilian state of Piranha, and works in human resources. She said she began collecting the dolls in twenty eighteen and now has twenty two dolls. Twenty two dolls, which still has that one job, which is twenty it's a lot of human resources she has.
Speaker 7: She's resourceful in collecting humans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the world of Make Believes is an escape valve for me, she said. And no, I don't treat it like a real baby. Oh okay, so that's good or bad? Someone brought that up. You were pretty you had that in the ready. Yeah, you had that reply and a holster. The dolls have flooded into pop culture. They were featured this month in an episode of valet Tudo, a primetime telenovella, and a rap song trending on social media about a gang that walks down the street quote kicking reborn dolls okay, which raises a lot of questions about we're gonna have to have them on what this gang is kicking usually.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they are. They so mad at the reborn doll craze. They're just gonna kick reborn dollands dolls into a sewer or they like normally kicking. Now, they wrote a song about how mad it is that they get tricked all the time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I guess we come from a culture where certain segments of the population like burn their shoes and stuff to show that they're mad. So it's possible that this gang just doesn't like these reborn dolls.
Speaker 7: I think there it's encroaching on their I'm never gonna look it up.
Speaker 6: Maybe they're mad because you can't as easily traffic drugs in them.
Speaker 7: If you'd be more easily traffic drugs and a reborn doll than a real newborn, well, I was just filled a baby with drugs.
Speaker 6: I was saying. I was thinking more like in the movies, you always see like a really cheap looking baby doll that's filled up with cocaine or something, and these seem probably harder to You can't just cut them open.
Speaker 7: No, you might be able to, but I think your bottom line takes a hit because they definitely cost more than just like a cabbage batch dog.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's true. That's true. This is why you're the business half of this equation. That's also why we operated a loss newspaper Calmness. Influencers and lawmakers have all weighed in with varying degrees of sincerity about what some perceive as a threat to the social order and what others have described as a harmless hobby. In the northwestern Brazilian state of Amazonas, one lawmaker Yao Luise recently carried one of the dolls into the legislature and argued without evidence that some women have been demanding public benefits.
Speaker 7: From there we go, and I can I see that happening here soon.
Speaker 6: His colleague Joanna Dark also voiced concern. Quote, you can't just force a doctor in a hospital, for example, to treat a reborn doll as if it were a child, which is a living being.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is like on the floor, show me the fucking litter boxes. That's what this is the situation here.
Speaker 6: You think this is a rumor more than a real this.
Speaker 7: No, this is a political stance to like.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean this is this next? This is her next political.
Speaker 7: Stunt, no different than here with the like kids want to be they identify as a cat.
Speaker 6: The next quote is literally that you can't force a teacher to accept a child in a daycare center because the person wants the reborn doll to start, which is basically you can't put a litter box in it.
Speaker 7: No, or but I just think that, like, Okay, show me one example of that happening.
Speaker 6: She asked, where would it end with people taking reborn pets to the veterinarian to be neutered.
Speaker 7: This is exactly the same argument. This is exactly the same argument they're making here.
Speaker 6: What's next, We're gonna marry dogs?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is this. They're using the same stupid straw man argument for the like same thing with like gender stuff. Here.
Speaker 6: In what looked like a bit of trolling, the official social media account of Kreetiva warned the quote mothers of reborn dolls not to sit in the yellow seats on city buses reserved for pregnant women. Quote reborns are cute, but they don't guarantee a place in the yellow seat. Okay. The post read, Okay, well look that I'll I'm I'm for not taking those seats. I'm also for this seems more like something the way that somebody might try to some This seems like something it might have actually happened.
Speaker 7: But I don't think it's like if you have the thing is for sure not happen.
Speaker 6: If you had a reborn doll in Los Angeles, I would absolutely keep one on standby to use the carpool lane.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I mean that's like a Larry David thing to do. But I'm just saying that they is that on curve He didn't some people do the blow up doll thing. I think he just got a prostitute to get in hov lane. No reason. But you would also wouldn't see this in Los Angeles because America doesn't have a yellow seat. There's no like pregnant Lady special seats.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well you wouldn't see this in America. I'm just saying this is more believable to me that maybe, oh people used reborn dolls to try to sit on a bus seat.
Speaker 7: Yes, nobody's doing any other thing except for the mentally ill.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, are you enjoying this old episode of New Fear Unlocked? If so, don't forget that. You can stay up to date with brand new, commercial free episodes of it every week the main shows off. Now here's one of those ad breaks you could be avoiding.
Speaker 6: In defense of the dolls, the Rio de Jannio City Council proved a proposal to make September fourth Reborn or in Stork Day. Okay, that's holiday honoring the artisans who make the dolls.
Speaker 7: This is now, This is now. The political gauntlet's been thrown here, but.
Speaker 6: Now the political gauntlet gets thrown back the other way.
Speaker 7: Shit.
Speaker 6: The mayor of Rio de Janeiro Eduardo Payees vetoed the proposal, saying, quote, with all due respect to those interested, this isn't happening.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm I'm super for that. Actually, I mean i will say it's a day.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 7: No, that's a silly day.
Speaker 6: It's honor the people who make them.
Speaker 7: But as is Reborn, a Brazilian company, that's probably not. If it's not, then that's insane. If you were in Soul, Korea right now and you're like, we're gonna have a day on day, yeah, or like honoring the fucking peanut M and M people.
Speaker 6: Right, but the manufacturers of the pena eminem.
Speaker 7: But I also have never I've never looked into like international days is always like the International Day of Donuts, International Day of hot dog skin. Yeah, It's like I've never been in another country for that to be like, are you guys also or is this just like a weird marketing thing in America for stuff?
Speaker 6: Every day is a day somewhere exactly. At least thirty bills have been filed in legislative houses across the country to bar the dolls from receiving services in public health facilities. Again according to the public records.
Speaker 7: Again performative bills. I'm you could submit it and then it's not going to get voted in. Yeah, we're enacted.
Speaker 6: I'm kind of surprised. I feel like when they said that that they were concerned about the dolls receiving public services. I was thinking more like their conspiracy was that women were trying to file like welfare claims for yeah baby, like the case, Yeah I have two children, I have a two child tax credit.
Speaker 7: Or benefits for three children.
Speaker 6: Right, But there appears to have just been one documented case if a woman with a psychiatric disorder showing up at a hospital to seek treatment for her doll, only to be turned away at the entrance.
Speaker 7: What did I say?
Speaker 6: Most bill most of the bills have been introduced by members of right wing parties.
Speaker 7: There you go, I seem like an idiot, but I can fucking see ship for what it is, like shit like this.
Speaker 6: It's nice to know every country does this.
Speaker 7: Well every country now, but like, yeah, it is a well there's essentral like a media literacy thing that we all need to just go. This is bullshit.
Speaker 6: This also feels a bit this sort of political back in fighting whatever feels like an American export.
Speaker 7: Straw man arguments with a strong man like leader stuff, so you know, they it's very like performative bill shit. But I will say this, I wonder my last question on this, which we don't have answers to, is it seems like there's been a decrease in births and population stuff across the Western world. And I do wonder also Eastern because yeah, and so I do wonder if it's part of that, like it's part and parcel also with like low birth rate. Now we've got these cat lady.
Speaker 6: Well, it's part and parcel with it's fucking it's expensive to Oh, it's fucking expensive to have a kid. I mean now granted I have a kid in a very high cost of living area. Yes, but I'm sure you know, all around the world, all the prices for all this stuff's going up. So I think there is probably no small degree of women who feel like they want a baby and just can't fucking afford one, but they can shell out two grand for a really good looking doll in that like it's I mean, it's incredibly sad, but it but it, you know, helps it helps them feel more complete or whatever.
Speaker 7: And I just was talking to my buddy. His name I won't mention right now, but like he was just complaining to me about like how they want a third kid. Yeah, he was like, the second one has already just become such a burden financially and they haven't even gone into like the real schooling payment stuff. And he's like, it's already bad enough that you got to fly and pay the three tickets. Yeah, it's and it's or sort of the movies or do whatever.
Speaker 6: It sucks to think, but.
Speaker 7: They want the third kid badly because they're both one of three, and they were just like, we want it. We loved our dynamic growing up. But they're like we and they do well.
Speaker 6: I'm one of they do well, and I wish I had never been born.
Speaker 7: So yeah, but they do well financially. And I'm saying, we are living in this world, you know where they do polls, which is like how many kids you know do you want? And people say, I want three kids, And then the second question is how many kids do you think you can have? And people always just go one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I really in the modern era, Yeah, unless you really make a lot of money or you live in a very low cost of living area. I mean, I can't imagine having more than one kid, honestly. I mean two kids maybe, but everything becomes So we're dealing with flying with Felix right now, and he's still young enough to sit in our lapse, but that's becoming an issue because he doesn't want to sit still. But the only other option is buy him a seat on an airplane. So suddenly a family trip is now a twenty five hundred dollars round trip to these coasts.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I mean even back when we were kids, you know, my family only took one family vacation ever, and I can only imagine that, No, we flew, and I can only imagine like what the drain was. And then back then, you know, money went a lot further. Yeah, but still it's like and then, you know, I'm sure we have listeners who are like, I have thirty eight kids and it's fine, but yeah.
Speaker 6: My sister has ah has eight kids, maybe nine someday.
Speaker 7: If there's nine, what are you doing but.
Speaker 6: Starting a farm? I think, yeah, I will.
Speaker 7: Say I have a lot of farm friends Becky's too, who like, yeah, they do have big families. Let's have free labor.
Speaker 6: But I mean, and in her case, they're very much a part of the Catholic community and they're really I mean, you do see the benefit of the it takes a village kind of thing where you know, there is a lot of free work or labor put in by babysitters or the church or people driving people, but it's all no one's keeping tabs and going, oh, i've you know, it's just part of how you live and raise a family, and there's there is something nice about that, but it is it becomes a huge, a huge burden at a certain point.
Speaker 7: That's why I always get annoyed when I see the or like I agree with when I see the things that I'm annoyed by what brings about but the lake. Everybody says it takes a village. Unless that village is like snap benefits or welfare or like, unless the village is provided by taxpayers, then all of a sudden you're on your own, right. That's that's so fucking greasy. But anyway, we're talking about these these realistic dolls.
Speaker 6: VV Laurencini, an actress from Kuritiba thirty years old, has been making reborn dolls, makings bespoke since twenty twenty, including some for the Brazilian productions of Wicked and Matilda. My life has turned into chaos with this boom, she said, referring to the frenzy around the dolls. It's been good exposure in this sense, but it's an exposure that is causing so much stress.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people are kicking your creations.
Speaker 7: Down, Yeah, and writing songs about about it.
Speaker 6: Camilla.
Speaker 7: There's like TikTok challenges probably.
Speaker 6: Yeah, TikTok challenge, break into this woman's house and steal her reborn dolls, yeah, Camilla and Fanger, a doctoral candidate in political science at the University of South Paulo, said there had been a noticeable difference in the response to hobbies associated with women and those associated with men. Because women are doing it and women are the principal actors in this, it's been stigmatized differently, she said, adding that the backlash was quote just another way to regulate women's lives.
Speaker 7: I agree with that.
Speaker 6: It does. It does sound that way, yeah, but also.
Speaker 7: But also, don't do this.
Speaker 6: Don't do this just like I can.
Speaker 7: There can be it's weird, it can be mutually exclusive, like we can agree that this tactic is that. Yeah, but we can also agree this is in a response to something.
Speaker 6: It's the girl version of carrying around an AR fifteen in public. I think it's that it's like I look at that and go, this is weird. Why are you doing this?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that's probably they're both costplaying at that point. Yeah, they're both at one's costplaying as a parent, one's costplaying as like a soldier.
Speaker 6: And they're both filling a void. One is lonely and the other is a coward.
Speaker 7: So I will say I own more guns than I own reborns.
Speaker 6: For sure, But I'm just saying exactly. I think I think that's sort of the it's the look some people need to heal. But there is something these dolls. Again. Part of my pushback against these dolls is they just it feels like carrying around a dead body. Basically, it feels like carrying around something that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're not wrong that you're just like, that's why you got to make them bleed every once in a while. They're alive.
Speaker 6: Yeah. The dolls this article tells us have been around since the nineteen nineties, when people started stripping the paint and hair off of store bought vinyl dolls and painstakingly reworking them to be more lifelike, and the interest in them is not limited to Brazil. Dave Stack of Cleveland, the owner of reborns, an online marketplace for reborn dolls, which I believe that's the website and.
Speaker 7: We went to to look at those monstrous things, said he'd.
Speaker 6: Seen a slow and steady increase in sales since he started the site in twenty twelve. He now sells forty to sixty dollars per day, up from about ten per day five years ago.
Speaker 7: But he's a reseller, though he's not like I imagine. You can also buy things from reborn, Yes, but you can go to him and be like the site we went, he's are slightly selling site. I think these have been wheeled around in the strollery. Yeah, these have been kicked down the street. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Most costs around two hundred to two hundred and fifty dollars and are made of vinyl. Okay, well, a few limited edition dollars made of softer silicone have sold for more than four thousand dollars. You want a soft baby, you do want a soft baby. You don't want a vinyl baby.
Speaker 7: You don't want a baby made from melted down records.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you put this baby on a turntable, you can hear the sounds of the strokes. Percentage of the dolls are purchased by mothers who are grieving the loss of a child.
Speaker 7: Which, by the way, I'm not trying to hurt the reborn business. Yeah, but I almost kind of feel like it should have pretty early on been like a what do they call that thing where you're allowed to bring your fucking dog on a plane.
Speaker 6: Annoying, Yeah, but I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Like people always abuse it. Oh oh whatever animal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, your mental health or your service animal.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I almost feel like this should I imagine I would like to think you have to submit some sort of paperwork to get the service animal like recognition, like hey you know, hey, you can't bring that on here. It's like, well, actually have a dope for my doctor.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah you do. But those are really easy to.
Speaker 7: Get, That's what I'm saying. It seemed very like scammy, But I almost feel like rebirth should have that same level of like one extra step, yeah, where it's like, hey, I had to submit it's like medical.
Speaker 6: Marijuana, like the way it used to be. People just want it, But hey, you gotta go through the hoop at least of saying that you have a macular degeneration.
Speaker 7: You got to talk to a twenty two year old doctor in a fucking lap coat and a hoodie. Yeah, so like, do you know what I mean? Like, make someone do at least one extra step? Yeah, because I think you can right now be like add to cart now I have a psychosis.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So honestly, the small percentage of dolls purchased by mothers who are grieving the loss of a child, I sort of feel like, is the only percentage that should.
Speaker 7: Be exactly, you should get a thing that says, hey, you can't stop me, I have a thing.
Speaker 6: Others have been bought by memory care facilities, Oh that's interesting, lawyers who use the re court room renactly, show they touched, Yeah, got it? And people making movies and televison and shows obviously which.
Speaker 7: Obviously should just makes sense. We want to keep putting hot lights on top of these kids in real life.
Speaker 6: But most buyers are quote just people who love babies.
Speaker 7: People who missed the the beanie baby boom.
Speaker 6: But that and that is the problem. Just people who love babies. I a guy. Okay, I don't know. If my wife wants to me sharing this story.
Speaker 7: I can't cut it. This is a new If you're on larned, it's fine.
Speaker 6: We were at a coffee shop with Felix the other day and this guy in his like sixties maybe who I had clocked, because I'm pretty sure I had seen him watch like two twelve year old girls walk past him on the street. He was sitting at a coffee table outside.
Speaker 7: So you clocked it the same day, not like, yes, oh he lives in the neighborhood.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, same. I'm wearing the coffee shop, I'm out looking out the window and I see this guy and it kind of out of the corner of my eye. Was like, I think he just checked out those two children. Yeah, he But then he came in and he was like doing something. He got out a cup of coffee. On the way out, he stopped and started talking to Felix and.
Speaker 7: He's a baby though he's not gonna talk back.
Speaker 6: No I know, but he was.
Speaker 7: He was.
Speaker 6: He was like, oh, he's such a bright eyed little boy, and I will see he had his phone in his hand and I was like is in a picture. I was looking at the screen to make sure he wasn't and then I was getting ready for him to ask, and he didn't, but he did ask if he could squeeze one of Felix's toes.
Speaker 7: Sir, And I don't want it to be like this is me stigmatizing. Yeah, but like if you're a lady, maybe, but I don't want a guy, a stranger guy, Oh touch it, my baby touched anybody's toes well, but and that the lady. I might give you like a seconds more grace on this.
Speaker 6: But I tell this story to say, obviously, we said yes because we were He said yes, we were super uncomfortable, and we were just like, I mean, we were. He wasn't get a kidnap. You know, we're in a busy coffee.
Speaker 7: I mean, what did it pass your cross your mind at all to be like for eight dollars?
Speaker 6: Not until after he left? Okay, But I bring this up to say, a this guy might have just been a creep, but be it. What did cross my mind was, oh, this is like a person who loves babies and like also might be a pedophile, but like this this is a guy who like you hear about people who love babies, but I feel like I don't really come across them in day.
Speaker 7: To day life, especially not in the modern era.
Speaker 6: No, because it's a little weird, A.
Speaker 7: Little yeah, it's a lot weird. And that's why I'm saying, old grandma, ass lady, you got some baboushka rolling up being like, oh you can see this lady probably raising kids, has grandkids, gets excited. I want to eat them up energy in a goodish way. I'm saying. You know how the aways people always referring to like cuteness of babies as like an edible thing. It's they're always saying it, and so I'm fine with that. But if I'm just like a man alone, you know, who doesn't accidentally on purpose drop his wallet to be like, oh those are my grandkids pictures that flopped out. Yeah, so like buy himself.
Speaker 6: Stops on his way up and goes look at these little toes.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I just feel like you can go through your day without touching toes. Yeah, and so just live your life that way. Yeah. Anyway, anyway, your kid's been marked by him. He has the market. Yeah, yeah, he's going to put a tracker on him.
Speaker 6: This article continues that some popular videos made by content creators show these reborn dolls getting a bloody nose as discussed, Yeah, going on their first outing to target spaon con or throwing up in the car.
Speaker 7: Sure, what I have to imagine there's some cuts in these videos. There are some medits. Yeah, I think so if it throws up on its own, this is a totally different video about a possessed y'all.
Speaker 6: This is a religious miracle.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, your baby has stigmata.
Speaker 6: Jennifer Granado, forty three, who makes the dolls with her husband and daughter in Indiana, said about half of her customers or collectors, and about half are coping with some type of trauma or loss.
Speaker 7: I mean, I even watching this video if you're not just listening. I mean, obviously I'm a collector of things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but luckily they're not not lifelike children dolls.
Speaker 7: Yeah there, I mean the things I collect might keep you childless because no one wants to date someone who lives this lifestyle. That's not true, but like it's definitely better than whever. This is.
Speaker 6: One customer, Miss Granado said, takes her dolls shopping into the doctor's office feeds them baby food and takes pictures of them with Santa Claus on Christmas. I mean she is unable to have kids, so this is as close as she can get for her and her husband. Miss Granado said there's definitely a large group of people who don't understand why a grown adult would be playing with a baby doll. But they don't see it as a baby doll. They see it as a baby.
Speaker 7: This is the woman who also makes them in the airh Okay, got you.
Speaker 6: I mean she's just selling her wares.
Speaker 7: That's what I'm saying. That's a little bit and she could have gotten into it for this purpose, yes, but I think once you're in there, it's a nice sales pitch.
Speaker 6: MSS Drew's, the collector from Kuratiba, called the dolls a calming fun I would even say innocent hobby a damning sentence.
Speaker 7: Like that's a yeah.
Speaker 6: I would even say totally normal and very innocent.
Speaker 7: I will say a lot of people have hobbies, very few of them have to defend the hobby.
Speaker 6: As being totally total yeah. She said she was frustrated with being judged for her interest in them. Quote. I hope that after this is all over. We can continue our collections in peace and do what we like without being labeled. She said, I think that reborn dolls are an art, and art deserves to be appreciated. I'd like to point out that the tree. Yeah, this photo, which we'll put up on the screen is haunted by demonic tree.
Speaker 7: In that tree. Whose hobby was to make that?
Speaker 6: I don't know, but I mean I do like this.
Speaker 7: Picture, and it'll be either on the screen or in the show notes if you're just listening. There is a sense of community here. It's nice to have.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a community of witches worshiping a sentient tree.
Speaker 7: Yes. Babies, yeah, yeah, but I'm saying anything that gets people out that getting them touching grass, yeah, maybe that's good.
Speaker 6: And so that that is the end of the article. That's the end of the article.
Speaker 7: Is at the end of the episode.
Speaker 6: Well, we can discuss these babies a little bit more.
Speaker 7: I mean we've discussed them a lot. We've discussed them another episode if you want to hear it. Probably some overlap, just a.
Speaker 6: Little not much, just a little bit. Yeah, go check out the Dollars episode if you haven't, and let.
Speaker 7: Us know if you are a collector. I don't think we said anything that was to me.
Speaker 6: If you collect reborn dolls, we would love to hear from you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we'll have you on and we won't make fun of you.
Speaker 6: Pick your brain and donate it to science.
Speaker 7: Pick your brain and a reborn doll and see if it comes to life.
Speaker 6: Well while we try that experiment, friends, fans out there in podcast world, I'm Chris Calari and I'm ed FORCLA And this has been New Fear Unlocked.
Speaker 7: Almost do we say new Fear on lot the last one?
Speaker 6: I think so? Okay, this has been New Fear Unlocked. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 7: Bye bye, bye bye.
Speaker 1: The theme song may say this show has no name, but as you know, it actually has a name, New Fear Unlocked. The thing you guys always say, that's the name. The name is New Fear Unlocked. But now it's over, so you could turn it off. There's nothing more after this. Thanks for coming see you next time. For not necessarily fears, more than likely for sure not fears