Speaker 1: I'm John Glover. I was Lionel Luthor on a Smallville and I will always always hold on to Smallville, and I hope you all do too.
Speaker 2: Welcome to always hold on to Smallville. In this podcast, we talk about each in every episode of the Young Superman show that ran from two thousand and one to twenty eleven on the WB and the CW. I'm your host, Zach Moore, and I'm joined by a very old Lionel Luther. He's back from Earth too, Matthew Roca. What's up? Roca? Looks like I'm back in the nick of time exactly? Is that not the greatest fourth wall breaking of all time? Right?
Speaker 3: Rewatching that, I was like, oh wow, man, this is some Shakespeare, This is some Richard the Third. John Glover must have been having a blast doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny to say that. So we're talking about Luther obviously, and who else could I have but you on this episode? And uh O, great to have you back on the show. And so I recently went to the Lutha Smallville Convention, the first annual Smallville Convention, and how Sean Glover was there and everybody had panels and he had panel and he was talking about someone asked him about coming back, you know, for season ten. He's like, well, you know, all the good writers had left by then, and it wasn't quite as interesting. But if you know John Glover in real life is this is a sweet old man.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I mean he's eighty years old, God bless him, right, yeah, and he's on he's on Instagram and he's eighty years old and I have him on Instagram and it's like what but he is just he just tells it how it is, you know, his thought like that's the unfilteredness is so adorable as well, and he's like, oh, well you know why probably you know, so he felt about saying that, but that was that was how he felt about it because and I do understand where he's coming to think about it from an actress, because he was talking about the evolution of Lionel and in season one, because look, this is the big Lionel Luther return episode, right, That's that's what We'll just jump off with that, which is which is why I'm so think about it. He was talking about well, in season one he was kind of like a one note tough dad. But then as we went on I became a regular and they kind of peel back the layers of you know why you know, Lex and Lionel felt the way he did about each other. And then you know, obviously, you know, writing wise, they were kind of all over the place around four and five, they were kind of like, I don't know if he's good or bad whatever. But when they settled in, like you know, the first you know, three years in line, on the last couple of years they had a kind of a clear vision. And then of course he died, and then you know, they brought him back, and he probably he felt like from an acting standpoint, it was more kind of a reset to what he was doing before all this nuance, which is true, total, totally valid. Well, that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. And then knowing that he thought it was like whatever, but but then him to still bring his eight plus game was is amazing. Right.
Speaker 3: I love that I've heard him say the same thing about just like even Lionel at his most evil in regular Earth one Linel like that he's so nuanced, and he felt like Earth two Linel was just like one dimensional mustache swirler, evil kind of thing, and it's like I feel the same way as you. It doesn't make it any less enjoyable, and in fact, I think kind of like his more one note evil as this Linel. It's what we need in the final season if we're gonna if we're gonna do alternate Linel, just make him completely cartoonishly evil and even still even still John Glover brings that Shakespearean nuance to it.
Speaker 2: He manages to do that, you know, like he is the best actor on this show. Yeah, start to finish. She's the best main cast. Remember, he's the best guest star. He's totally like he's in a league of his own. I mean, it's incredible, right, and so he's such a resource, and so to have him back just just I mean I was because you know, when you watch his back in the day in season ten, it had been three years since you've seen him. Oh yeah, and you're you're so caught up in the excitement of Lionel being back. You're so fascinated by, Oh, how's Lex gonna play into this because you don't know yet because the season is still going on, right, And I'm like, all right, did I love it so much? Then? Because it was so exciting, Like but no revisiting it now for this No, it's so great. I'm so happy to report it wasn't just the hype.
Speaker 3: That's totally how I felt too. Rewatching it, I was like, man, this is just so much fun, Like it's like this is this is it's so it's so fun, and it was. It was like the whole the whole thing just felt like it was nostalgic in the best possible way. Where it was it was nostalgic for the Luthers, reminding us of the the like sort of golden era, if you will, of the show. And at the same time, it was progressing the plot forward in a really different way too, because it's like, you wouldn't get alternate universe and all that weird stuff in seasons one to three, you know, Like.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, it's it's interesting that it took him this long to do this. Yeah, I mean this is the last season. Like, well, I guess we'll do like a barrel universe like that, because that's like sci fi one on one, like parrel universes. Right, And but you're right, it would not have fit in any other era of the show, but but this one and we'll we'll talk about that as we do. But yeah, you were there back in the day watching this live. Did you go look up like episode titles before they came out, like howevern around crypton site. I don't know if you if you did this or not. You know, you're of course. So so the title Luther comes up, I'm like, right, oh my god, we're like, blows our minds. We probably think, oh, this is the big Lex return episode. That's what you think. That's what you think. You're like, it's so it's so interesting that I mean, we're pretty much almost halfway through season ten. They've been really like there's been a lot of Lexes around clones and kids and you know, other actors who'd played him over the years who'd come back and it's fantastic stuff and they'll continue to do so. But there's no Michael Rose. Bomb there's They're very It's so interesting that even like even in Homecoming, you see stock footage of Wana, Kristen Kurk, Chloe Allison Max, we see John Schneider, John Glover and that O'Toole in the clips from Reckoning, No Lex, no Michael Rose, and they're like, uh, and I I understand the type world. They're walking because they don't. They don't they don't want to remind you of him just in case he never comes back, Right, I was gonna.
Speaker 3: Say, like, Okay, I was going to ask you if you knew if there was anything else contractually or something or whatever, because it does seem weird that like, like, yes, it's true about like okay, what if he doesn't come back? But at the same time, I feel like they had to have almost had some degree of like, well, he is going to come back, because otherwise you're really pushing Luthor's storylines so much and if he didn't come back, it would have been really disappointing.
Speaker 2: We we were this close, I know, we were this close to not having Now that's what's like if if Lazarus the first episode, like yeah, there was talk and as Craig Burnam krypton Site has communicated to us and to me, they were like, oh, yeah, well Michael's going to come back for this, like that was the episode was written with that in mind, which makes perfect sense. And I'm like, because it gives you that a little bit. Alex at the beginning completely chases out all these fillers in between, and then yeah, he would return at the end. I don't know how far that went as far as talk or negotiation or I don't even I don't even know, right, but we all know how Michael felt about it, and and all krettd he came back in the end, and he he did what he needed to do to close the circle. Thank god, totally. But there's no debating the fact if he was around and more available in season ten, it would have been a much stronger season. I'm just no debating that because they're they're just trying to patchwork all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean imagine just you saying that kind of gives me chills imagining. And by the way, I love the actor who played last year. Yeah, yeah, the one from Cyborg and it's you know, he's great and did a really good job as creepy old Lex like.
Speaker 2: Twenty years older. It's so funny rewatching it, I was like twenty like should we have said like fifty years old? Because I know I was thinking that.
Speaker 3: Too, because I like when we're I mean, when we're younger, like twenty years older seems so much more, you know, probably when we were younger, like watching the show, like oh, twenty years old. But yeah, it's like when you rewatch, it's like my ex girlfriend is twenty two years older than me.
Speaker 2: She doesn't look that like that. Well, you see Michael Rosebam today and like that's him now, Like it's doesn't look like a different person. Dude, he's like fifty now and he looks so young. He looks great. But I just saw an interview with him too.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say.
Speaker 3: The thing that gave me chills was picturing him though, delivering those lines in Lazarus, Like picturing Michael Rosenbaum doing the.
Speaker 2: Weard on your chest, the scarlet letter and all that happening.
Speaker 3: No, but it's like I just saw an interview with him. You probably saw it too, where he was talking about I guess the politics of the money and the things of the show like for him, and and how he likes to talk.
Speaker 2: To about that a lot, doesn't. Yeah, he does.
Speaker 3: He was he said, I guess that what was his name, I think something rot. I forget what his first name.
Speaker 2: Was, Yes, Peter.
Speaker 3: I think it was. I think he was talking about him. Uh, and he he really just played. He was like saying he didn't like the guy and blah, blah blah. And he never talked to him. I mean, the guy never talked to him, like during almost the whole show. And then he towards you know, the end of season seven, like when his contract he stayed longer than his contract was supposed to be, and then he's like, mister Roth wants.
Speaker 2: To have dinner with you.
Speaker 3: And he's like, oh, he never has talked to me this whole time. And he goes ahead and he's like you gotta stay, you gotta stay, Michael, blah blah blah. And Michael's like, you know, if you give me an offer, you know, I probably won't do it still because artistically I want to do other things, but like I'll think about it, you know kind of thing. And then the offer they gave him was the exact same thing they were paying him before, and that was what the final nail in the coffin for him, where he was just like, even if they tried to make me another offer, now, it's like too late. That's a slap in the face kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and I think, you know, and as you get older, right, you understand why people make the decisions they make, right, I mean, especially working in the industry and very as storms as we have and do. It's like, yeah, I never want to work with that person. Get done and all right, Like I will never work on a project with this person. I totally understand that. Or conversely, oh, yeah, this guy's on it. Whatever it is, I'm there right. So like you you want to work with the same people, or you don't want to work with the same people, or you you need space, you need distance. So like it's it's fun for us to sit here and talk and laugh and speculate about him coming back and not going back to the bored Thing is he came back for the series finale. THINGK got. His legacy is preserved because of that. Had he not come back for the series finale, then how dare you do Talkville service? I mean seriously, seriously seriously that that was he really meant it too. I can tell that, like, you know, just hearing Talkville and like listening to that his podcast and stuff, like he really meant it back in twenty eleven when he said like he came back for the fans, I feel like he really and and for how much you really love the character? You know, probably for a good chunk change, but no really, he said that at the time. I do believe, like, look, I did it for the fans because he is a fan of things. He might not be a fan of small vill his talk fill, but he is a fan of you know, genre movies and all this stuff, so he understands fandom. Yeah. So yeah, that was big for him to come back for that. So season ten is in the shadow of Lex and micro Rosemon. That's what we're really And.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine like the I think the one big miss opportunity, and it was probably a scheduling thing or timing or whatever, but like if they you know, they brought Michael back, right, and they managed to pull that off, and then they also had Glover back, and if they had a scene together in the finale too, that would have been so epic, like.
Speaker 2: It would have I don't know what it would have been, but just to see the two of them together, Lex kills him again. Now, well yeah, see, I mean that's the thing. What do you what do you even do at that point? Right? So I kind of that is the greatest missed opportunity of those two. I mean there's a lot of missed opportunities serious finale, So I'm not gonna say that, but it isn't we all wanted that again, but but we we love what we had with them for years. I mean, they had some of the best scenes on the show for years. And even though Clover comes back here without Rosenbomb, it doesn't you don't. This episode does a good job of positioning like, look, Lex is not here, well, there's certainly no getting him back. Yeah. I thought that was a really funny met like that's a metallion. We can't tell that. But hey, we're we're here in season ten, and look, man, I gotta be honest, like season ten, it's been kind of rough to start off. I mean there's there's some good. I mean, there's homecomings, great, las Rus is very enjoyable. Yeah, you know, I like Harvest more than most people probably really the Lex, Yeah, yeah, because I have really fallen in love with this text. I've really fallen in love with this Test and Lex subplot going on, Like originally yea, her raising little Lex and then all the weird dynamics there and now now she is a Luther, right, So I love that is what I'm clutching onto in season ten because I don't the suicide squad is lame and death stroke is the worst death stroke. I kind of forgot about some of that stuff. Like when you think of season ten, what do you think of Broka?
Speaker 3: When I think of season ten, I kind of glamorize it a little in my head, Like I think of all the cool stuff we've been talking I think about all the Luther stuff. I think about Clark becoming Superman, like the returns, like the return of Jonathan, the return of Martha, like you know, all of that, the nostalgia him and Lois, like their relationship really blossoming into the iconic relation. Like that's all the stuff I think about. I kind of like, uh, choose to forget about the other?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean the episodes I've rewatched over the years are I mean the ones I'm talking about like Homecoming, Luther can't down the Road, like like the Earth two stuff just a plug and that gives us, oh yeah, iin ol back and so there's so much of that. So I'm like, I'm just really glad for this episode to show up finally, because I was waiting to really love an episode again because it's like I feel like I've been I might you know, guys, listen back, you know, you know, I have a good time I'm talking about these episodes, but like, oh, man, like I feel like I've been rewriting like every episode that as I covered it. I'm like, Oh, wouldn't it be better if we did this? Like that's strange because season everybody knows I love Season nine so much. Season nine had a clear vision and arc, and seasons well, I mean, we're people are coming back and we'll do that, and then he's gonna be Superman at the end, and here's some stuff. But it's just it's just kind of it's it's very it's not cohesive in the way that Season nine it's.
Speaker 3: Like season It's it's like season like like I feel like the same way. I feel kind of like Season nine is like Season three in the sense that they have a very cohesive arc. There's kind of a strong continuity between episode to episode and callback and you know, like it's all very well thought out and you can really see that on the screen. And I and like, because of all the stuff we've talked about, like all the fun stuff in season ten, it's still like like one of my favorites more than Season nine. But I feel like season nine is a much stronger objectively seasoned because there's a clear A B, two C plot and everything. And but that being said, just like all the gold Nuggets and ten kind of spread out or awesome, you know.
Speaker 2: I guess my new my new conversation is like, which is better season ten or season eight? I think that'll be.
Speaker 3: My Oh my gosh, that's a good one. That's really interesting because eight started so strong and.
Speaker 2: Then it went this season eight A is so good, but a B is this by even though it's a couple of great steps. I mean, uh, Lesion is great, Hex is great, right yeah, oh yeah, totally that's it, and H in the second half of season. So I don't know, like that's well, those are the fun conversations to have down the road. But but here we are in season ten. We're working to our Superman and John Glover is back Luther, the titular Luther, the titular Luther there, And I do wonder how they if they planned out like we're gonna have one focus on Lionel and that's gonna be loose. I'm gonna have one focus on Jonathan. They'll be kid. I don't know if they planned it out because knowing this show, they probably didn't. But the fact that worked out so well though, because you know what, so and obviously Ken is a different episode and we'll talk about it then, but these are two of my favorite episodes of the season. Lionel is in this one. He's not in the next one. They're they're looking around for him, like like Clark, Luther and Test. Oh, there he is, and they're like, you know what I'm saying, but he's not it. You don't realize that he's not in it, you know. Yeah, anyway, but hey, we're here to talk about Luther. Let's get into it. Luther. I hook up this morning.
Speaker 4: Everything is different.
Speaker 2: It's darker. Did you stay away from you? Clark?
Speaker 4: He'm so afraid of me. It's like a parallel reality.
Speaker 2: I am your father.
Speaker 1: I alone raised joke in my own image.
Speaker 2: Clark Wilther Smallville All New episode Friday, de Summer third and eight, seventh Central on the CW Luther. It's the tenth episode of Smallville's tenth season. It aired on December third, twenty ten. Was written by Ryan Q. Miller and directed by Kelly Sounders. Now Kelly Sounders, she's been writing for the show with her writing partner Brian Peterson for years since season two, and she's one of the executive producers now of the show. Right, I love this is the only episode she directed. This is the only one. This is actually her only director credit in anything. WHOA, that's that's wild because she did knocked it out man, because like, yeah, the visual and we'll talk about it, but the visual differences between We're gonna call it Worth two because Earth too low was lane they throw that out there. I know, the all the comic fans get so mad because it's like, well, Ultraman's Earth three and I'm like, yes, yes, the flash shit the same thing with like like evil Zoom flash or some Earth two and all that stuff. So yeah, so this would be Earth one sixty eight, right, if some almost one sixty seven, if you really want to get down to it, we're gonna call it Earth two. But insider baseball, that's the definitely way too deep into it. But yeah, no, there's the visual distinction between. You know, there's all these warm colors and bright and it's all very locked off and smooth shots, and then you go to Earth too and it's all handhaild and you know, uh shaky and like gray, you know, so.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, very muted color palette. Very It almost feels like we're going from like classic Metropolis in Earth one to like got them Yeah, oh us, you know, like it's just it's it's really you didn't.
Speaker 2: Need to have some like Earth two super at the bottom that showed you you show, don't tell it's a visual media, you get it. Yeah, it's not a different space. But but but you know, she did.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that Kelly like the first time director credit thing, because there must be something about the Luthers that just bring out the artistic brilliance and first time directors because Miles Miller back with memorial.
Speaker 2: Right, Lionel may bring out the worst in people, but the Luthers bring out the vest in the directing of the show. But but ratings watch Okay, So the last episode, Patriot, it aired a couple of weeks before. There was a break before, you know, for Thanksgiving. And that's that's also interesting because Smallville usually only had maybe one episode in December, right, but no, there's two. This is not the mid season finale. I mean it should have been, but it would have been such a stronger inding. But then you know Icarus is next week, so they have two December episodes. That's right, but this episode December third. The previous episode on November nineteenth, Patriot got two point six million viewers, and Lazarus, the season premiere, got two point nine to eight million viewers. So with those stats in mind, what do you think Luther got? Ooh, that's a good one. I'm gonna go with two point seven five. All right, two point seven to six. You might be like, this might be the closest guess of anyone in the ratings. Watch well done, sir. Wow, Wow, Nyl brings people back, all right? People are like, come back in see John Glover even after Thanksgiving. That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: It's like, it's like people like even casual fans who haven't been watching as much, they probably see like a preview and they're like, oh, Linyl's back, what like, yeah, I want to check that out's yeah, Like you know, So the episode starts out and all right, let's just let's just let's just rip this fan ad off.
Speaker 2: What what what the is going on with the Verrettas window because the the episode starts out with the with the loot with the season one through six stained Glass Window of the l Witch, which had previously reappeared at the end of Abandon when Test finds out she's a Luther. It's it's kind of like the reverse shot of that. That's what's so interesting that there's like, yeah, there shouldn't have been an episode in between these two, like Patriot, Can we have done that earlier or later? Because yes, because Abandon ends with this shot of Tesse looking out the window and we pan up and we see the Luther l because she's a Luther. Now I get it, right, I get it. And then this episode starts out we started the stained glass window, we go back down into the window. But dude, you've been here. You know, like, first of all, that l is in the wrong spot, and it's not it doesn't look like us anymore. It's dude, of all things, the continuity, you know, all things continuity wise in this show, there's something about the damn window that is just like so seemingly hard for them to get right, and yet it should be the simplest well, and it's you know what's even worse, it's not like they're changing it back and forth, right, It's like, look, they changed it. Yeah, I think I think it might have been Traveler. You and I were on that episode. I think him in the first time they changed the wind, which is ridiculous because like they should have known in season Like I would have been way chiller about this if between season six and seven they switched that out and didn't talk about it, like, oh, look here it is. It's like, oh, it's like it's been more of a clue, but instead it's like, literally, it's been here this whole time, right under my note. And then they keep and this is before they got the veritas up. They keep moving the l down right, because if you're like in Tempest, for I throw out Tempest the season one finale, cause you see the tornado come and the window break and Line and Lextra in their office, Ell is way up there. It's way up there. But then they they kind of move it down lower. It's kind of behind Lex's desk, right, follow me, right, So it's already like it's already already moved. And I'm like, look, they fixed the window, they moved it, fine, whatever, But I know you guys are why are you so fixated on this? Well, let me tell you, because because I'm like, okay, they changed it back for season ten. That's that is so annoying, but whatever, it's right. But but broka, they didn't change it back because we we panned down from this l at the very top and we go through the glass with a Veritas sign is gone from the exterior. Yep, but there are all the scenes in Luthor Library here it's back, and it's back as the Luthor Veritas window, and it's unacceptable. I am so angry about this, Roca. I don't I.
Speaker 3: Don't even understand, like the like with with the other one, with the you know, the first appearance of it, at least it's like, Okay, this is what they're trying to do, even though it's like really goofy right, like they're trying to pretend like it's always been there, which is so silly. But I don't even get what they're trying to do right now.
Speaker 2: It's it's all the other earth too when we get there. Anyway, this is my this is my favorite thing of this show to just rant about.
Speaker 3: Yes, if they were gonna do this whole v thing in general, it's it's an idea that just came to me. It's they had to do it, which is so silly anyway, Like, but if they had to do it, you know what they could have done probably they could have probably had like lex like in season seven, you know, like looking at the l and being you know, to emphasize more of like the genius that he is kind of thing that could really have him like study it with a magnifying glass or something like he sees he sees a glint of something that is like wait, and it's like and it's like yeah, and it's like really like baked into it or something.
Speaker 2: Instead of like a L slash V. Because I know, we're like we're like half an hour in we're talking about the first shot. We have to though, because because Test sits down and it's right behind her head, it's the I just this is unacceptable. But anyway, Test is at her desk and h who is simply credited as Luther Lawyer walks in Actres's name is Linda Coe. She looked familiar. She's an NSA official on the Flash in one episode. She's also in Supernatural. You know, she's in a lot of the shows up there, So that's why she looked from there. Oh that was Oh, that's interesting, Like, yeah, that was like it felt like there was something with that character, because you know, they gave her that ominous like the way she delivered her line to test and I'm like okay, but then like that's it. She's in this one, and I'm like, okay, but hey for day player A plus, well done. So she comes in says, oh, finols of state blah blah blah blah blah. And this particular line item wasn't discovered until after Les passed. Little dude, we know you were his final day, like just to kind of like, this is your boss, Like were you talking mess? You know?
Speaker 3: And I was thinking that too. I was like, whoa, if your tests, that lady's fired. That's why that's why I never saw her again. I forgot that this episode, rewatching it that this was. I forgot that it was because I haven't rewatched the later seasons and long in like a while, and I forgot that it took this long to realize that she's the illegitimate daughter of Lionel.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it took about a third of the way in to reveal it and then a couple more to tell everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is really interesting. Like because because when she first appeared on the show and season eight, I think we all just assumed that she was like, you know, miss test marker tests, that she was like.
Speaker 2: Mercy Gray Lex's lover. Yeah exactly, Yeah, yeah, Like this works so much better though, Oh it really does. As much as I'm being angry about retcons, there's the thing to rec con objects that you see with your two eyes and then reccon like vague backstories of characters which can be cleaned up. Like making her a Luther makes everything click and makes so much like why why would Lex put her in charge of all this stuff? Like he knew, as he says, and as Michael Rose his mom himself says, because he came back for the series finale and the.
Speaker 3: Sade Yes exactly exactly, and you know it really it really, it really does serve the character a lot. Her character really is starting with this, I mean this episode in particular, then going forward, like she serves the themes of the whole season and like the you know, the series in general, but really the whole season with the idea of like nature versus nurture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in this box is well we always they don't really show it to us yet do they. It's like this, you open up this box. What's in the box? Right, and it's like something in this velvet bag and she's like and she's gonna open it, but then she gets a call from Clark. He's like, we have a lead maybe a Cadamists labs, and like text is like, because that's where you know, that's where she was healed and that's where all the lex clones were. I also want to shout out this editing moment where like we see tests walk out of her office and we just cut her walking into Cadmus's labs. Like that's just a cool moment. Like I'll just yeah, yeah, it's a great way to kind of move between locations without having to establish this or that. And uh, apparently a Meal. I love how they call him doctor a Meal or a Meal. It's doctor Hamilton, all right. The reason, in my opinion, the reason they do this is because doctor Hamilton in the first couple of seasons, right, yes, yes, it's it's confusing. Mort He's a legend. He's a legend and genre legend and incredible. But they're like it's like it's not Yeah, he's a pediatrician. It's just amuses.
Speaker 3: It's probably like so many things in the show that you know, you've talked about so much on the podcast in terms of like obviously there's like a kind of a five yearsh plan, and they really didn't think they were going to go on as long as they did. So it's like they probably thought, oh, cool, little easter egg doctor Hamilton and season two, but it's not really you know, related to to the traditional Doctor ham but you know, that's just a little easter egg for the fans or whatever, and then all these years later they're like, oh, you know, we can have an actual doctor Hamilton.
Speaker 2: Clark says a meal due to final search and there's one body still on account of far LX one five and tests. Is like, oh, well, you know, just because he's Luther doesn't mean maybe he's not causing trouble at all. Maybe it's you know, maybe it's fine. And of course like no tests. It's in their blood. They're born that way. I'm like, damn, Clark, I understand, I understand why, because this is she is real. She's in a tough spot here because she's just found out she's Lionel's illegitimate daughter. She hasn't told anybody she's she's been hiding baby Lex all right here, and uh, I understand they want to put in a position where she doesnt feel comfortable telling Clark and put him in this mindset. Right. So yeah, but that's what kind of harsh it makes.
Speaker 3: It makes sense from the episode standpoint, but it does seem a little bit, like you said, a little bit harsh and in context of the full series because of the fact that Clark like.
Speaker 2: I'm never gonna leave you a little Alexander. I'll be there looking out for your evils in your blood. Uh, because even Tess is like, we'll have her to everyone deserving a second chance, which is the Superman, but Luther blood it's poison. But he must be behind this door. It's a lead only one lined with lead, right, which how did how did how did Lex know that Clark can't see through lead?
Speaker 3: No, I don't mean that's that's a good question. That sounds like that sounds like a question for Eisenberg Lex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the question I had in my head was like, maybe it's just not not rewatching season ten in a while, but like, what was okay, test is protecting little Lax all that stuff.
Speaker 2: If Clark found him, though, like, what's he gonna what's the plan? Like, what's he gonna do with him? Clark's obviously gonna kill it because he's playing killed this little child. Well, Clark doesn't know that it's a it's a kid, like he doesn't. He just knows it's a Lex clone and somebody's been helping. Oh that's right, that's right. Yeah. Yeah. Well what's what's interesting is like, so at the end of Harvest, the kid who played Lex in season seven and eight, the kid he came back for Harvest, Connor Stanhope. Yeah, yes, I believe he's fantastic, unless I'm mixing up my young looks actress. He's the one of all the one and they all did you know good to various degrees. Yeah, he's the one that really like felt like the spirit of micro ros Bom was in this child, and so he gives he like that. He makes his turn on that episode and test them. We're sending away to facility. He's gonna die. I don't care, And I'm like, okay, because he's got the accelerated aging. I'm I don't really remember what happened about the accelerated aging. I'm wondering how the show's gonna address it. I think they addressed it because oh, he's super boy, Like, I think that's how they fix it. Yes, he is right, It's like, yeah, that canceled out and stopped his age and whatever. Because you're asking me about the plant. The original plan was this Lex kid was gonna grow into micros bomb. That was gonna be Lex right, which which in retrospect would have been so much.
Speaker 3: Better that that makes that makes a lot of sense that that it's good because Okay, we always go back.
Speaker 2: To this, but.
Speaker 3: In the go ahead, in the finale, it's like, so we get Lex zero right, like Lex zero. I feel like still to this day, it's like there's still questions online about like so it is so Lex zero is basically like a Frankinson monster of Lex parts, right, But is Lex original the one that died in the truck the truck and if so, this is just a cobble together, you know, of all the parts.
Speaker 2: That's what the show wants you to believe, and I don't like that. So I choose to believe that Lex zero was like Lex Prime. Yeah, and the one in the truck was like lex one, lex one or whatever. That's what I try to believe. They keep it just vague enough where it's like, ah, okay, but anyway, I'll have to say, I don't know what Clark's plan was with Lex here, but they show up and it's you know, it's a chessboard because of course there is this little cot and his old book and and thanks for the read tests. But I'm all growing up now. It sounds exactly like something Lex would leave it totally totally, but it's switches Clark onto tests. So he's like, you knew about this, like, and he just goes into his oh yeah, he changes a gear here, and I look, this is a very close this is arch Nemesis, right, so I can understand why he's so fired up. But man, I feel bad for Test here, right, That's how I felt too.
Speaker 3: I was like, dude, just like like I get it right, Like, but but Test has been your sort of ally for a while now, like let it let her explain, you know, even just.
Speaker 2: Like, even after everything Oliver and I did for you, this is how you repaying us. And it's like, because Oliver has been very skeptical and Clark's like, no, no, no, give her a chance. Man. Yeah, it's not like she's a Luther or anything. I won't deserve second chances. But I under loook this is it's a little contrived, but I understand. Yeah it was. She's like, I was just trying to protect your trying to protect shelf, and he is true, He's right, yeah, yeah, it's like it.
Speaker 3: Works for It's like, yes, he is jumping to conclusions, but it works for the situation and how you feeling. And that is just like a Clark trait anyway, about jumping the conclusion, so like it makes sense for the character.
Speaker 2: You know, well, speaking of jumping to conclusion. So she drops her bag and then then we see this maybe the mirror box. What do you have this? She's like, wait, let me explain, Yeah, why would you? Why would you do that? She's like it's a Cartoni real, Like I just got it. I sure to god, I was gonna tell you she was. That's so sad, like she was, and it's legitimate questions why you have it? And she can't explain it yet because she doesn't want to say she inherited from Winyl. Yeah, this is a cool prop I've actually gotten to see this prop and it does miss like this and it has some way to it. I don't know if they based it off of the projector from Veritas with the message Linel leaves him, Oh yeah, if not, it's it's based off the same kind of like Kryptoni and Rubikski where you turn to I wish I had that prop.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of replica props from back in the day, but I wish I had that.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. That the Mirror Box. I'm like, okay, all right, okay, somebody watch Star Trek because this is very original series Star Trek. Mirror Mirror one of the most famous episodes of the original Star Trek. It kind of popularized we talked about Parallel Universe. That was one of the most mainstream ones about alternate universes and all that, and that's I think where a lot of the vibe and the vernacular comes from. That's really cool.
Speaker 3: I did not know that actually that that was like one of the things that made it like more popular in mainstream like that, Yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 2: Which it's it's like us but just a little different, and I mean much like you know, Onyx in season four is the enemy within that episode of Star Trek where Captain Kirk is split into good and evil. That's that one, and then this one is clearly mirror mirrors. My Star Trek fan coming out here, check it out now. Yeah, so Test drops her bag, picks up the mirror box, and he just starts twisting, just ignoring what she's saying and just starts twisting it. And here's the thing man, talk about this show in continuity, like the contunity gives and continuity takes away, Like the fact that the mirror box, which support you to another universe is the transference symbol is pretty cool. That was cool.
Speaker 3: That was like okay, it's like, yeah, you have weird, silly stuff like the the window, and then you get really cool stuff like that where it's in the same episode where it's like, wow, that's that's awesome.
Speaker 2: That's a really cool callback. So he wakes up with a couple of your favorite characters of the show, right, Mandy and Bamby. We don't watch risk another audit. Oh but so so yeah, he wakes up and he puts his T shirt on. It's the ultraman T shirt, like look at you Smallville so cool. That was awesome. Yeah, that is an amazing loophole of like, well, we're not Superman, but he has been the Blur, he's got the well we'll give him the ultraman T shirt. I'm like, that's brilliant, Like I love that. That is how small the would do. Ultra Man. Yes, you know they call him ultraman if because he is ultra Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is that's cool, which is really like, yeah, it's interesting because it's like I remember a friend of mine who did He didn't really watch the show, but I was always talking to him about the show at nauseum in high school and stuff, and like he I remember him commenting when he you know, just see like previews and stuff like that for the later seasons, and he's like, you know, because sometimes he would make fun of the show, and he's like, you know, I got to give it to the show. Like I'm not watching it, but it's pretty cool that they're doing all this like comic book stuff.
Speaker 2: It's like it's a different it's a different show that than than it used to be. Oh man, but there's this like slow reveal, like youau, you don't know where Clarky is really like he puts his clothes on, he's in a mirror, and then Lionel comes out of the shadows, right.
Speaker 3: I love that, Like right away they got him doing his Linel thing, like, you know, him stepping out of the shadows, having his quote head and just I.
Speaker 2: Live be alive. He's I can only live once? So like what a what a way to go? The opening curds like we knew, we knew he was coming back, but like what a perfect read or not? Because again he's dead, right yeah, establishes that he's not, and then calls him something like he calls Clark's son a lot but like what does this mean? Like Luther Men, Like what does this mean? Yeah, we Luther Men must seize our day. So good. And that's the thing, right because there's always been talk. It's so funny because you know, I don't blame Tom Willing for not remembering everything on the show, but but there's been talk on talk. He's like, yeah, it would be cool if we did an episodeer like if if Lionel raised Clark and somebody's like, well, you guys did that, you know, but people had talked with that for years, right, It's like an ultimate what if episode. Yeah, and we're getting it and they're they're hitting the ground running and they're really delivering on that concept immediately immediately.
Speaker 3: It was always I remember that on Krypton say. It was always like speculation of, oh well, what if Clark was raised by Lionel. They even said it in the show, you know where, like the Kents would say, like you know, things like that, like you know, thank god we found you, or you know what if someone else like Lionel, and you know, all those kinds we didn't.
Speaker 2: Find you, you found us. Actually, actually no, your your biological father was here like forty years ago and really liked it. And since you specifically here, that's the actual truth. But talk about a reccon anyway, So we go to the open credits, We come back and Clark is walking through the hallways of Luther Mansion with Lionel, the Ultraman Persona's genius. It's great with a strong arm. My opponents, right, he's like knop Son because his Ultraman shirt is showing. So I assume when he does he like rip open his shirt and go to evil stuff his Ultraman and his T shirt.
Speaker 3: I think so, right, because it's like like later on Clark has you know, Ultraman, Clark has that line about like, you know, I'm not used to it being lunch and not having blood on my hands, you know, Like it's like he literally just wakes up and goes out and kills people and does evil stuff. And Lionel couldn't be more proud any what any son would any father would want.
Speaker 2: Now they go to the Luther Library here and damn it, the Veritas one was there as well. But you know what, they kind of mentioned the queens and the Swans and very I'm like, okay, well that's fine, Like I don't I'm not going to complain about this universe because that has an established contradictory this universe exactly, it could be this universe could have the v there the whole time. I don't care. But we get we get a plus one for amazing technical or kryptonite because Lionel throws out some fencing swords that and they have bluekryptonite to kind of equal the footing, which is which is great. It's exactly what this Linel would do to kind of somewhat control and get some interesting insight at the end of the episode from him about this whole thing. Oh my gosh, yeah, it's this whole this whole time Clark is questioning is like this is possible, Like this is a trial. Yes, here's a trial. Like like I like call Clark throughout the first like third ist episode, he's trying to reason out like what is what is going on? What the hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like and and Lionel's are like Tom Wellings, you know, we've we've talked.
Speaker 2: About this before.
Speaker 3: I think that he's really great with like he's really great with comedy, and but I think I think that his performance in these first few scenes, I think it's like underrated comedy, Like it's because it's it's not that they're playing it for comedy, but it's really funny because he's just like, what the hell is happening? And he's just trying to catch as Lionel's just so energetic and ready to go and ready to quote Marcus Aurelius and fence with Clark, well what is happening?
Speaker 2: Then you know, Clark's default state is like confusion right on the show, like in general, and so it worked so well here because he's like I don't know really what's going at all? And we get some good again. The right actor can deliver exposition and you don't care because it's like, remember, I am your father, I alone raised you, Cork Ruth the Man of Tomorrow, and I'm like John Lover just just eating it, man, Oh it up completely. It's it's like, even though he thinks the bad writers a writing.
Speaker 3: Oh man, this is the thing I've always said about him, and you really see it in this episode that I love that he's not as as an actor. He's not afraid to go too far, like he's not afraid to hamm it a and he does that so expertly, and he's still able to make the character human, you know, like he's he's the world's a stage, you know, he's just he's so theatrical and it's great.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. I love how he says the Man of Tomorrow bringing back the whole I mean, was Lexus Logan in season one? Yeah, yeah, now let's let's talk about this now. Clark Luther. He should not be named Clark. That's like my one real complaint, me.
Speaker 3: Too, me too, What would what would Lionel actually name it? It's definitely wouldn't be Clark obviously Julian. I mean, could this be Julian reassigned the name, yeah, Julian because they're so like it's Clark Can versus Clark Luther. I'm like, well, that's not an ultraman. Isn't even these either of these guys names so like they could have leaned into their mythology a little more.
Speaker 2: Lucas Lucas that's the thing. Where is Lucas Luther? Like they have completely three children? I'm like, well, what about Lucas Luthor? Like even like I can on this earth, he didn't exist? Fine, yea, fine, got it? But in general, like, dude, like, where is he inheriting the mirror of box? Right? Where? Paul Wesley? Dude, you you're on Vampire Diaries. I can't just one. All they needed was one episode with you to wrap that up. Yep, totally totally even even a even a mention of some kind, right, like, you know, just have Lex have killed We brought back Julian and clone him to kill him off. Yeah, so just kill anyway. But I would have getten back on point with the name I would have I would have named him Julian because it leans into small the mythology, yes, and if and if you know, you know, and if you don't know, oh, well, clearly you know that he wouldn't be named Clark because that's Martha's middle name. Totally and even totally. They even had a way to kind of bring the Earth two linell interact with Martha later and they could have brought it back around, but they don't, like with like the Clark name. I think they might the Clark exactly like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that really that's the only I mean, you know, other otherwise, continuity wise, the episode really mostly holds up so well besides like the window, but like that's the other thing is you.
Speaker 2: Know, is the name. Yeah, I agree, Julian would have been. They just thought we were too dumb to not understand why he wouldn't be named Clark. Well, they'll be news. Yeah, but you know, Lionel has a line who's like I shuddered to think when happened to my Little Traveler, which I thought we were done with the Traveler, but like you know, Verita's window was right there, lean into it. Yes, it works, it works if he had been discovered in that field by the first ignorant farmer.
Speaker 3: That came along, right, that's where we are line because it's like, for all the times the Kents have shuddered to think, what if Clark was found by Lionel or by a bad person in general, or you know, someone who wouldn't be supportive, you know, and they've always had that worry. It was so fun to see from the villain's perspective. You know, from Lionel's perspective, his fear would be Clark being found by.
Speaker 2: Good, good people. It's so good. But this form where on Earth would you be now? And then like Clark's like, oh, the farm, and so he goes to the farm. I have a I have a connuity. No, it's not really a deal breakers with throughout there's a big signs a farm auction July twenty eighth. I'm like, okay, yeah, the farm's on auction. I like it. I really like how they lean into this the next episode can't in the next Earth two episode, but Oliver Queen is buying up all these farms to burn it from meteor rock makes perfect sense. Like it's like, truly, I joke about things being air tight when they're not on the show. This is air tight. Applaud you why so July twenty eighth, like, because this is I assume this takes place in November December when it came out, right, yes, because like if we're because on our Earth, the Lex he was found in October and he's getting old, like there's yeah, there's a timeline we're working with here, and they probably just had that sign and they didn't think about the date because it's fine, but I just had to put it out yes, because they were probably filming in July or something, right, And I have to also say, real quick, just going back to the previous scene, how much I'm sure you felt this way too, just geeking out so much seeing the the sword fight thing. Yeah that since the Lionel and Lex days so great. Yeah. Yeah, So Clark's at the farm here and this is so he's so slow in the uptake and I love how Earth to Test calls him out, are you just naive on your Earth? Because he's like, yeah, I'm like all right, look listen, even if your parents were here and they were alive, you were not their son, like like they're not like who are you? Who are you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly, because like remembering Apocalypse and alternate Earth, like the other that other kid who's named Clark Kent, which shows you, no matter what happened, they would have named a kid Clark Kent right, much in the same way that Lionel should not have named this so Clark. It's just funny because Clark is just so like, dude, get get up to speed. So he goes upstairs to talk to Test and let me say, you know, I have I've kind of fallen in love with Cassidy Freeman rewatching the show and yeah, it's pretty hot. It's pretty hot. Scene.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, she's she's I always I always had a little touch on her right from when she started on the show. And then it's just continued, yeah she's uh, yeah, she's she's great, and it was it was so fun to see the the like frisky in this yeah.
Speaker 2: Like you know, and oh you love to keep me waiting, huh. And then later on and then worth too, Clark is like, oh, I love to keep you waiting. So they gotta think it's like this. I mean, it's this, it's this taboo thing, right because it's like he's like, well, last time I checked, you're still adopted, and my half it's like, oh, but that's what's kind of like it's wrong. That's what makes it like interesting. Yeah, it just it just goes with the ft up lu this universe is best off, right, father will over find us here? Father like our father, Oh you're a Luther? Right? Interesting that this is how Clark finds out the the information here. Yeah, and he's still trying to process. He's like okay, like so there's like time travel and if and if I fix something, I'll get to go back and make it right. Like he's just round. It's like okay, like it.
Speaker 3: For some reason, it reminds me, you know, when he's like this gus like trying to piece it together and he's like, wait, you're a Luther, like, you know, figuring it out out loud like that. It just reminds me of one of my other favorite Clark trying to figure something out out loud moments. The way back in season four when Lana's like upset because she thinks Clark got Jason fired and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: It was like you and Jason, yeahs again confusion, that is his standard gear. But she said, well, where's your scar? At least your scar? He doesn't have what is a scar we're gonna find out in a second, but he doesn't have a scar. He's like, what's that about? Right? So it turns and tests like, oh, he tells me about this mirror box and then he says he can't find it. And I can't believe I ever thought it'd worked with us. Like, so they had you know, Clark Luthor and Tess here on the Earth too. They had this plan to kind of switch with with you know themselves, you know, the universe and leave Linel behind, which is that's interesting, Like Clark Luthor likes he is a little interesting that I thought, because I think at the time I was like, all right, I think we're as good as he isn't playing Evil Clark, Like we're kind of run out of shades at that. We got rid Kryptonite cr we got Bizarro, we got Lionel as Clark. I'm like, how how much more can you do? But I think this kind of like trying to get out of Linyl Shadow is an interesting motivation for this character. Yeah, for both of them. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: And it's cool because it really does put Clark the Earth one Clerk. It gives him more uh empathy for like what Lex had to go through too, Like it's seeing, Oh, I could have become just as bad, if not worse, you know, than Lex did if I was raised this way. And like that's a really interesting you know kind of I'm always a fan of when they when they give Clark more layers of empathy and understanding as he becomes superman like, as he becomes less judgmental.
Speaker 2: Luther blood is poisoned, they're born like, well, no, it's good. He needed this to course correct because he had his pinch and swung all the way around. So this experience gets him back where he needs to be. But yeah, this is he keeps guessing and Tests is like, are you really this naive in your world because you can't figure it out? You don't feel bad for Tests because she thought they were gonna, you know, get a rendezvous with Clark Luthor and then that's it, Like I know, like we'll talk about it in her seat with Lionel. But I'm like, does he have her killed?
Speaker 3: You mean you mean oh, you mean like is Earth too Test killed? Yeah, but oh wow, that's.
Speaker 2: A great if she's in kn't again, So I don't, I don't know, it's less left Ambigo.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's I didn't even think that. That's a really good question. I mean, he certainly this Lionel certainly wouldn't hesitate, even even Earth one Lionel was about to kill Lucas.
Speaker 2: So I'm not get you knew anyway, but but this is important next. But it makes sense that Test would know this because her and Club Luthor raining on it together and she explains like, oh, yeah, the your kinder gentle world is about to get an explosive awakening because we've switched place, so that this tells Clark what's going on. And I'm still I'm waiting. I'm like, when are we going to see Ultra Man on Earth? Because like, so they switch places physically. We'll talk about this more. We've talked, We've talked about it, we'll talking about it more. So. Clark Luther goes where Clark Kent was and Clark kit goes where Clark Ruth was. So Clark Luther should have appeared right there, right there, in the same did he just like super speed off or what? Like, I don't that's I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like he you would think you'd see him right there at Cadinets, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then you know, we can't can't get the setup we get later, so we cut to Metropolis and hey, credit to them. The production value is great here they add Luthor Corp To everything. Luthor Corp Media is the Daily Planet. Everything's gray and dark and like that, like do you really feel like this is a true alternate universe? Right? And I respect that, like because they don't have they don't have a lot of budget in season ten, but they're doing what they can with their flags and their buildings and their size. There's even a truck that says Luther Corp Media. I was like, good for you. Show so great? Yeah, so great.
Speaker 3: It's like and and really it also really highlighted, like seeing Luther Corp everywhere, Like that really highlighted to me. In Earth one, we have Clerk and lex and and Clark was to stop and this is what wo exactly exactly, this is what it would be right like.
Speaker 2: But then Lois runs into him in her nineteen seventies car. I maybe, I mean that is that a thing about? Because you know what the did you watch the eroverse some I don't know how much I think I think I saw well, I think I did see a couple of episodes a couple of ya. No, it's I know you've been telling me. Did you watch the Flash at all? Yes? Yeah, like two in their Earth on their Earth too, it's kind of like this kind of retro technology, different vibe, but they went for like vertical gvs and fifties vibe right for to differentiate it. And I think I might have been what they're doing here with lowess car. But because it's it's like from the seventies for some I don't know.
Speaker 3: Why, but yeah, I could see that in a way, kind of like like in BTAS. So it's like, yeah, the cars look like the forties universe. Yeah, the hyper time reality of the forties and eighties.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I like that. I like product I like it intentional production design like that. And so they did this here, yeah, and so well, let's runs into in this car. She's like if all the people were into and then he fixes the bumper with his hands, like very cute. I love those small displays of power. But we get Clark, dude, she's not your wife or not say her girlfriend here, dude, Like, get with it, man, because Walas, Oh my god, so great to see. She's like, why would I want to see you and then enter Oliver Queen and this show it cannot get past the less and Oliver thing. But I like it here and it works, and I think that works really. The other layer here is like they both feel like, well, this isn't perfect, but I guess it's the best we got right on this, right. Yeah, he has darker hair here, an interesting choice also, I think starting blue contact lenses or does Justin Hardley have blue eyes? And I honestly don't know anymore. This episode has to be questioning everything. I thought. I thought he had brown eyes. Well in real life he does, but I think yeah, they pulled a Brandon Ralph on him and gave this blonde guy uh dark hair blue. Yeah, yeah, that's yeah. It was.
Speaker 3: It was like interesting the different look like that, and to see like the whole him and Lois of it all. I think it's really interesting too because it's like me and my mom talked about this like back in the day in season six when it was you know, Lois and Oliver and stuff, like we always were like, wow, you know, if there wasn't Clark, like, we would really ship them like they're great.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I ship all over with tests, I ship Oliver the Lewis, I've started to ship all over less with Chloe though honestly, I mean, I mean that's that's a turnaround I've had over rewatching the show because I'm like, you guys, him and Lois and him and the tests are these great like foundation and I like, yeah, just romantically Chloe and all of her, Like I.
Speaker 3: Don't it's I guess in a way it makes sense because it's like if he's not if he can't be with Lois, then who's the most like Lowis?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's for sure, right. But then also on the flip side, if she can't be with Superman, she can be with this universe as Batman. That's how I saw it when I was, you know, watching for the first time. So well, good for you, Chloe, you be okay, you did it op crazy or dead or whatever and all the things like tease. But now I'm like, like, in concept, I like it, but like I'm like, I don't know, y'all. Hears so much better chemistry with these other two. Oh yeah, yeah. Our porter comes up. She wants to talk to Lois about like what Oliver Queen's doing and all. What is he up to, right, but then we established, like how long we know you show Luther was a boarding school, right. I'm like that establishes it, like Clark. You can just kind of insert Lex's backstory for Clark here for him, Yeah, exactly because he went to Celsier School, and I wonder if they killed that kid with the school bus. I don't like.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say yeah, But probably the big difference is there's definitely no beating up and bullying. I certainly Clark Luther, Yeah, certainly don't think so.
Speaker 2: So he's the one being the bully. So he also says, you know all the things, what have you done to make this world have been a place? Like that's Oliver's kind of It's interesting like in every universe, Oliver is giving Clark crap about that. So that I know tracks but no, I I in the background of the scene, I'm serious, Like, there's there's a there's a truck. This is Luthercork Media, and I respect the fact that's a physical truck because it's so I mean, you go in a computer and you can change some Luther Cork graphics and all that stuff for them, like to have a physical thing there I respected that. But then uh yeah, then some guy's still in a Blu ray player, right, Clark decides to be a hero, goes don't belong to you? And what did What did you make it?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 3: I thought it was funny that the guy thought, I mean, it's funny, but also revealing of the Ultraman character that he thought he was going to kill him for that.
Speaker 2: You know Clark again, Sony, were you so Afraie Clark? Why do you think people are afraid of all ultramat But he said because no, but he lives to see ultra man's face. I'm like, oh, well that makes sense, Like there's a secret identity. If he sees you, he's gonna kill you, Yeah, to maintain a secret identity. And he's like, why don't turn me into a murderer. I'm like, yeah, yeah, you're right. But but you know what I found really amusing. I feel like, you know what I found really amusing is I'm talking about how the Blur has gone around burning the S symbol everywhere, just burning it everywhere, and like property damage and all this. We see this Ultraman symbol on the wall, but it's like spray paint. I'm like, is he less destructive than the Blur. I'm just saying, yeah, you would think he would be like just literally torching buildings now the only and I thought, and then I thought to myself, I counterthought to myself, Oh, Luther corbones all these buildings, so he doesn't want to creat property damage, property damage. That makes total sense. But I love this transit because this is the transition, right, Clark's in this alleyway and he sees the Ultraman symbol and so we do this kind of like the camera pans up and he keeps paying against the kind of three sixteen. Then flip around. Yeah, and in the same alleyway and and it's a Superman symbol or a Blur symbol there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was awesome. The transitions are really great and the episode like good taking us from one earth to the other is really awesome.
Speaker 2: We can only assume that Clark Luthor super sped to that spot after he was a cadmus. I don't I don't get it, but uh, anyway, but it's a cool. Oh we see the scar the Luther crest from that opening shot of the wind. Yeah, that's why Roka, that's why they've like, well, we can't have the V and that that's a little complicated. We got a simplify it. Well, should we just switch it out? No, no, that would be dumb. Let's just let's just have two, Like okay, anyway, that's whatever. No no, no, no no no no no no, no no one. So we go to commercial. We've established the Clark Luther's he's on our Earth. We come back. Test is like frantically doing research and then on the Daily Planet and trying to figure the stuff out, and uh, somebody comes in. She's like, I told you I didn't want to be disturbed. It's it's Clark Luthor. And again this this energy between them. I'm like, I'm kind of digging it right because it's Clark and Test. Yeah, Clark and Test. No, it was, it was. It was great.
Speaker 3: And I also thought it was really you know, they have great chemistry. And it was also I thought really funny that, like you could tell Tests was like into it, like Earth one.
Speaker 2: Test was into it. She was like yeah, well at first she was like okay, okay, of course she's in love with Clark, and as Lionel says that he is a god, of course you love Clark yes, yes, he is a god and you are a whore with a Magdalene complex. I would just laughed him too good for you test. And then Clark's like, I like making you wait, So it's there. It's there. It's whatever game they have on the other earth. And he thinks this is his tests. And then she activated the mirror box somehow without his knowledge and brought them both there. That's what that's what he thinks. And she's like, this is so Cassidy Freeman is really playing the scene because she has to play like because she turns her back to poor Drink, She's like, oh my god, we're gonna say and then she's trying to like fool him to thinking that she's his It's great.
Speaker 3: And she does a great job of playing those different layers so that the audience sees what's going on in her head, you know, but that it's like it's it's an interesting thing as an actor to play like subtly, I'm not trying to show my cards. I'm not trying to give it away, you know how she and she's she does a good job of that. I think when she's like, you know, trying not to give it away with ultramat.
Speaker 2: Now she noticed this. His scar still bothers you. Lecture knew how to leave an impression. Huh, there's no take backs with gold k. I'm like, all right, cool gold kryptonite, gold kryptinite. They established that on Earth too, and then comes back around on this Earth plus two for ryite. Well, well we don't see it though, right, so I guess we shouldn't we and we do see it will count when we see it, we'll count. But let's let me let me ask you about ryptonite Rocca for a minute. If he's exposed to it, he should lose his power, right, yes, So how how would one go about carving the Luther Shield in his arm without removing his powers permanently? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: That's a good question, Like, yeah, that's a really good question. How how would that work? What is the what I'm trying to remember? What is the reset?
Speaker 2: Is there? Like, what's the Well, no, it's it's there. There are no take backs, that's it. Yeah. So then thinking thinking about the series finale, remember when Oliver has the gold crib knit ring and close. Oh Yea's so ridiculous. I'm like, this is them not understanding krystin. They think. I've watched Lord of the Rings the night before, and like this is like the the one ring and if you you put it on, it's like the red cryb Knight Ring and blue one of the most frustrating episodes of the show. You guys already cover it like he's worrying around this. He's walking with the blue crypt knite, like, oh, here it is Clark, and it doesn't effectively puts on the ring, like come on, man, and so like if a gold krym knite anything is right in front of him, he should know how any powers. And then it's that's it came over, right, Yeah, Like and I get whether I applaud the introducing gold kryptonite, I don't know. And you know what, we didn't see this happen. We don't know how it went down. So I really can't dissect it and say it's wrong. I'm just saying, like I'm raising the question. Yes, I guess he has a gold crypt Night dagger and carved it into his arm when or something.
Speaker 3: I Yeah, that's that's really interesting when you think of all the different forms of kryptonite that they've done on the show, like it's interesting to think how like how far it's it's come into the again with that with the comic book territory thing, like in terms of just having so many Kryptonites and all these different things they can do, even if it can be inconsistent. Like just back in the day when Red first aired, it was like, oh, you know, this is a different Krystinite, Like it was like that was such a different thing for the show, so kind of bizarre to have this other crypto and now it's like various different ones you know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because if you think back, I mean they had green and Red, they introduced black, and there was like a one off, two off thing, and of course then they brought it back in season eight. Yeah, then silver crypto night but Brinia came up with that, but they're like, okay, we're gonna stop there. I'm like, okay, that's cool. But now it's like blue Gold jim Stone cryptonite last season, which is like what anyway, So Tess and Clark Luther is still talking here and he's like, yeah, no, there's not even a hint of Lionel here, and ts like, yeah, lex Lex killed in a few years ago. I guess Lex get something right on this earth. I love that. That was so great, so good.
Speaker 3: Well, interestingly, it raised the question for me, why has Clark Luther not killed Lionel.
Speaker 2: Because he's not a true Luther. He's not the strongest. I am the I am the strongest.
Speaker 3: Well that's true, because Lionel says that about you know, no true some would have let me live this long, right, there.
Speaker 2: Is something to be said about that. Firs shou Is this episode in the next one makes ultraman this like unsympathetic bastard. There is a redemption for him at the end, and I'm like, I don't know how I feel about that, but I'm like, okay, like the fact that he didn't do that, I'm like, huh, maybe some good to your point. Here comes the line of like feels wrong having blood in my hands before, And this this is where we get more like because Tests is like, well, you know, the great thing about here is you can have lunch anytime you want. He's like, what if I want lunch right now? And She's like that was so great, Oh my goodness. And because Test, only only Test could survive this Switter interaction because her like her Luther training yes, I know.
Speaker 3: Later on Lionel has that line where he's like, you know, don't lie tests, you're not any good at it, and I was like, I'm thinking she's pretty good, Like well that test, that's the that's why the opposite is right. But Clark Luther wants the box.
Speaker 2: I'm called Ultraman, right, call hi ultramat because when else are we gonna get use those names? So Ultraman wants to box and uh, Tests is like, oh let me uh let me go on a mansion and and I'll get it and then we can then we can celebrate. I'm like, oh yeah, all right, all right test because if he just if Clark the ultra man, his plan is we destroyed the box, then they can't send us back. And I'm like, okay, that makes their motivation. They don't the thing is oh a new Earth to conquer. Yeah, maybe, but their their main motivation is get out of life, out of Lionel's which makes it because that's what he says, it is lils world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there there there's even as evil as Ultraman is, there is a little bit of sympathy for that motivation, you know, like just escaping Lionel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Ultraman goes on his way and we getnother close up a test like, oh my god, screwed. Uh now this is a I totally forgot the scene. This is an honorable scene. Lois is gonna get some coffee on her day off call from Test and Mercier. No, of course not. Don't take any work calls on your day off, That's what Lois says. So she she goes to this uh verista. She's like, regular black coffee. You can tell. The guys like huh, Like what what a cheap Oh? She's like, I don't quit your day job and kind of pisss the guy off. So she tips extra and the karma jar, which I like. There's a random guy behind them. We don't know why yet, but it's gonna come clear out a second. Her card gets the climb and she's like, well that's not that can't be right. And then while this is going on, this guy behind her gets hello, who is this you want to speak to? Lowest Lane Like, I just I love this little scene.
Speaker 3: I know that was great, Like it's just it's fun to see Lois just on her day off, just doing Lois things blissfully unaware of how you know, how weird everything's gotten in the episode.
Speaker 2: So it's like, are you Lowis Lane, She's like, who wants to know? And then it's Tasha Lane, I'm calling you. It's for a reason you need to get to watch right now because obviously she's watched over now so she saw her on a security camp, obviously made her credit card get climbs using that power. Lois gives this guy his phone back and he's like, oh, nice to meet you. Blewis so like that was just a nice like you didn't need it. But it just fleshes out the world kind of the way that like the Sam Raimi trilogy fleshes out in New York with characters and things. It's the same kind of energy I got because we don't we don't see that a lot on Small No.
Speaker 3: It's a little a lot of times we're more just like, Okay, get to the next pop point like kind of thing. And it's fun when they have those little moments. It just like just a little fun character moment like that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she gets up there and uh tests all these screens and it's just like, well, uh, I con frown her technology if you think that all, because what she what she gonna do to help? Right? Yeah, this is I can't I can't get in contact with the team. You can see you see Oliver, you see Barts in the background, Like Okay, even though it's frustrating, we're never gonna see half these people again. For example, at.
Speaker 3: Least there's yeah, exactly, they're still out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, well that's that one was so funny about like like isis? For example that episode, I said, I wasn't gonna say the name of Yah, but I'll up here because like Hawkman, dude, that's totally Hawkman's fault. I'm like, dude, you're you're escavating this site. You lost the necklace of Isis? Dude? What do you do it? And they try to call him that he's unanswered. But that's good on you show, because if they hadn't called Hawkman, I'd be like, dude, why don't you call Hawkman? This is his problem? Right? So they I don't know what they're doing to be somewhere without cell phone reception, but they didn't really work on their satellites. But but do we want the Justice League showing up in every episode. No, we first of all, real world, we can't afford them. But some of all, this is a Superman show. We can't have them showing up over the mess.
Speaker 3: Exactly like but you know, it would have been funny if on one of the cameras you saw just a little batsymbol.
Speaker 2: Oh no, well that's right. A billionaire with wonderful toys, right, and a wondrous woman who'll throwy for loop. One of my most hated lions of the show. You probably like it, don't you. You probably like that. I nerd out. It's ridiculous, but it's great. I just like got just just don't act like they exist. Don't have Chloe, say a lion from eighty nine to tell me Batman exists, you know what I'm saying. But they do in season eleven. There it is so Clark Luthor. You know, he got himself a nice coat along the way. Uh, I don't. Maybe he had the coat, he took it off, he got it back on. Yeah that's right. Wait Wait a minute, Wait a minute, Wait a minute. So Clark switched places with him, so he was naked in bed. Clark Luther switched places with Clark. He should have been wearing that blue shirt and jacket. Oh yes, he just immediately went and got it. He just a suit. He immediately saw it and was like, what the hell is this? And he stole a suit. Okay, this I believe this guy would do it. I believe this guy would do it. But anyway, speaking of Clark Ruthor, he shows up and he means business. He comes through the skylight. Oh that was a great Superhero superl landing. Superl landing. That was a great Superhero landing. And it was rolls backs and Lois.
Speaker 3: That was really like I really like the dramatic, you know in the editing, the the silence that followed that moment, because usually I feel like there's those type of moments like you know, Clark throws someone and you know he does this and that, and there's like like the sound effects and the music and but this was like really emphasized the scariness of it. That is like bam and then silence, deadly silence as he's looking.
Speaker 2: Even his complete, even his complete just disregard for Loa. She's like, oh, Clark, this is some kind of red k episode we can work on. He just picture up and throws her. Yeah, I'm like this is like like violence is well.
Speaker 3: Really emphasized what a monster ultraman is and there's there's zero connection because there wouldn't be with Lois, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think he just superheard them. He's like a remarkable which you can hear when you stop and listen. I'm like, oh, that's how you found out of what's going on? Right, Yes, so he keeps fit this. This is a character tick that he has which comes into play in the next episode that he's in, which they plant the seats for it. Here he has his ring and he keeps filling with it. Yeah, because you know people have like jewelry and the like. He has his tick and we see it. I'm like, they didn't just invent that for the next time we see him, Yes, totally, yes, Like so he tells tests like look, I want the mirror box. Actually, what if I give it to He's like hmm, then I'll kill you. I'm like, damn like that. See, I'm like, okay, like Tom Welling, he's doing something here with all. Yeah. So I think I mean, obviously Lionel As Clark is number one Red K Clark a those people call him should always annoy me, but col is number two, then Ultraman, Yeah, and then Bizarre is probably at the bottom the Guard with the Wars in terms of your favorite alternate Clark. Yeah, that's how it ranked the evil clerks of the show.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree. I agree, Yeah, yeah, that's a great ranking.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: And it's fun to see just completely uninhibited Ultraman. Uh you know, yeah, he liked you know, he had his fling with Tests in Earth too, but he's totally ready to kill her if she doesn't do what he wants.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I believe, and I believe. You've seen his brutality and his reputation in the Other Earth, so you know he'll do it. Yeah, he's Ryan P. Thrusts. So uh. Then we go to a commercial. We come back right on Earth too. We're in Lionel's office as we find out, and and Tess is going through the Veritas journals, rips out a page of the Mirror Box, a new page of the I love like keep adding these pages? Was there along? Right? And hey, Cassidy Freeman gets some scenes with John glomer How about that we were talking about one of Mike rosmant to get some more Cassidy Freeman gets some so great.
Speaker 3: The two of them played so so well off of each other, and like she Cassidy did does such a great job of just showing her heartbreak and you know, you like trying trying to be tough and trying to do you know, but but like just how sad she is that Lionel is just so cruel to her and dismissive, and you know, John Glovery is just so heartless in the scene. It's great because it's like you really see as evil as earth One Lionel is, you know, and it was until his whole redemption, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like a lot of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did still love Lex in his twisted way, and he even with an illegitimate son like Lucas, you know, I mean he was ready to kill him, but like but he and he tried to kill him.
Speaker 2: I love that scene. So he should have just killed him. He should have killed They might as well have killed him.
Speaker 3: If they killed him, then they wouldn't have to worry about continuity. Like but but even when he's like manipulating Lucas, let's say, there's still a lot of guile and charm, like false charm and like I'm just gonna tell this kid what he wants, you know, and pretend to be a nice dad or whatever, like even though he's just my bastard son and I don't really care where is in earth to you. It's like he's just like says exactly what he's thinking to tests and he knows it's gonna crush her, and he just like goes for the juguler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he knows everything about what's going on. So it's funny he comes in here the the the Veritas book is a jar. So oh doing research for for that ill advised coup. It's a great tragedy. You and your brother are playing. Yes, I know all about that, Like, so he knows that. I buy it. Man, he's he's boundering everybody. I mean, this is how he's got to stay on top. Yeah, he's got to know what's going on. It's only his only way to survive. By the way, I noticed that there's a Bonzeye tree on his desk. I don't know if there's ever been one there before. That's a nice touch. And it reminded me that there's a scene shout out to the guys in the All Star super Fan podcast because they love the John Shay LICKSU thro oh a whole scene, he's like clipping a bonzeye tree talking about it. Yes, I made me think that, yes, this is a specific thing, that's what he would do. Yes.
Speaker 3: Oh, I feel like that had to have been like an intentional not intentional Yeah maybe maybe, I mean yeah, but seeing it just made me think of that. I know they've talked about that before, so I can just see Lionel monologue clipping away, which again one of the missed opportunities John Shay lex one of the clones.
Speaker 2: We talked about that before, all these clones. Why is John Shane I want to Oh my goodness, man, he was doing you next. You can do that, you can do small realize Anyway, Lionel has that line to her about being a whore. Basically that's what he says, and she slaps him, like, hey, good for you. Test right, Well, that just makes what I have to do a whole lot easier than call security. And like, I think he's just had to execute it after this man, Like, I don't know if we see her again, test crazy. I didn't even think of that. I thought he was just throwing her out, But I could easily see that. Just like she's like, well, why you'll never love Clark, Like, of course you love Clark. He's a god among men, you know. So I just feel so bad for both test tests. A tragic character.
Speaker 3: She really is cheated terribly by both Lionels and with universes, like in different ways.
Speaker 2: You know, talk about Leani into the comics though more roka, like they should have just had to be Lena Luther. I was gonna say, and like call Clark Julian and call her and Lena, But again, I think they don't want to confuse the audience. I think that's what it is.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, if she was Yeah, if she was Leana, like that would have made so much sense, right because that's.
Speaker 2: Her middle Lea Luthor. Then fine, but just just you're calling him ultra man's just just go with her. She picks up this picture, this is this photoshop picture of like young Clark and younger John Glover. She's like, why couldn't you love me the way you love Clark? And he's like, well you just weren't that special, dam and she shatters the picture and it's so cruel. Take her away. She's like he's going to betray you. And she's right, I mean she is she is right. Yeah, but what a great what a great So, what a gift for Cassie Freeman to have scenes with John Looverlow there we'll talk about the finale. She's the one that's the scenes with him, Yes, she and he's just as contestating to her there. He's like, flex is a visionary. You're not like, oh my god, this is great stuff, so so good. And I think another reason we enjoy it so much is like it's cements her as Luthor, like it all just fits into place, Like Lionel's talking to her like it's all like it's an alternate Earth, so it makes sense. And she she doesn't feel out of place, doesn't feel like you try to weirdly graft her on, like she fits right in.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's it really just adds so much to her character. And it's really uh interesting to see the just the dynamic in just that one scene, you know, like that's that scene in that short amount of time just told us everything we need to know about their whole dynamic on Earth.
Speaker 2: Right, So we stayed on Lionel's face, He's like considering what Test said, and maybe and he's like, hmm, she's right, maybe Clark is gonna betray me. So Clark goes to the fortress. You know, we're in a bit of a tell spout right now, and Lionel's like, i'd call that another state.
Speaker 3: That whole part made me laugh because, like one, it made me laugh of when he says that about we're not on good terms or whatever to Durell, because because I haven't revisited season ten in a while, I was like, that just made me laugh because it was like I forgot why, but I was just like, when are they not? And when are when are they in a good spot? You know, like and then and then just that's an understatement and he.
Speaker 2: Alid this reminds me of when he takes over the caves, right, yeah, season three, That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I was thinking of the him taking over the caves and les of course finding the fortress. There's just some in season seven, you know, like there's just something.
Speaker 2: Step above from the barn. Yeah, there's just something really creepy and sinister and wrong about seeing a Luther in the Fortress of Solitude. And yes, yeah too even right yeah, yeah, So It's funny because I'm like, has Lionel been in the Fortress four? And I thought, yes, and hidden when he's the the when he's the Oracle of Jorel, like Lionel's there, but he's not, like they're there, but his body is there. So yes. But this is a fun scene. You know, Lionel starts quoting Leers, like wherever lear Son he had the three children?
Speaker 3: It might as you as you know, I love Shakespeare and so it was really fun, like rewatching that that scene. One of the classes, the drama film classes that I taught, we would always do Shakespeare plays and turn them into movies and uh and yeah. So it was really fun, and we did one of our years, we did King Lear as a spaghetti western like Good, the Bad, and the Ugly style. But when I was describing King Lear to the students who didn't know anything about it, I pretty much just quoted Lionel like.
Speaker 2: It's very if he can explain it succinctly to confuse Clark over here. Well, and and I'm one of their like, oh, we can't mention lucas a screws up our analogy, so let's just ignore him. Forget about it, but on Earth too didn't exist? Fine, perfect works, it works. It's you know, he has the two sons fighting and the one who at the least and or the two kid whatever, right, yes, the the so so in his analogy, right, it's like he's coming to terms with that Lex in this universe was maybe the son, the child that loved him the most. Right is when he's.
Speaker 3: He's saying that he that was his, uh Cordelia, like that was his, the one that was the good child that he disowned, right right, yeah, which is interesting like.
Speaker 2: The show, we can't get him back, you know why? That's good? Like I have no idea what occurred? Right, but Clark's like I killed Lex. I'm like, I don't know what happened there? Like did he did he? Did that happen in the incident where he scarred him and then he killed him? After that? I don't know?
Speaker 3: And later later later Lionel says, I let you kill Lex. So it's like he he knew Clark was planning to kill him, right, Like, but it would be I would love to have seen flashback of but of course that would have needed a right, let's flashback of that?
Speaker 2: But but how old were they when that happen? You think, oh, yeah, because he could have just been kids sending kids bring back they could bring up like Junger actress. That's and so that's that's a good thing to talk about her. Like there's so much you could look at it as missed opportunity, Like if you go to an altern universe and like where's Lex, Where's Jimmy, where's Coley? I'm like, all valid questions. I mean, we get the Jonathan and Martha answer in the next episode on Earth too, so that covers that. But they're telling such a good story that I'm not cut up in that same I'm like, where's where's Wada? Shouldn't she be around? Right, don't worry about that. Don't worry about that exactly. It's like you're just you're You're in the moment with the story. This is the story they're telling on this alternate Earth. I gotta be cool because oh, if Wanda was around in theory, right, But like, no, no, no, that's gonna just be a distraction. So yeah, but uh, Winea pulls out this paper. He's like, it's very confusing. You were looking for this because I thought we were all looking for things to uh to destroy anything fun kryptod and I that's exactly what they would do, because you should probably should have anywhere, right because all the pro Zaw Doomsday, all these things Dark Site came from a Kryptonian portal or whatever. Krypton is bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you think about it, is there ever besides the fortress? Is there ever anything that comes from Krypton that's helpful?
Speaker 2: I mean, Henry Cavill had a right man, Krypton had his chance. It's a shamber, right, I mean seriously, Lionel tells Kark and oh Oliver Queen him and his family had possession of it when Veritas was dissolved. I'm like, oh, okay, very okay, Yeah, totally fine with Veritas in the university. I lean into it. Right, he had the best and for people who haven't heard it, I don't know what probably was Traveler the episode were on together talking about you had the best alternate idea for Vertos where it's like the Queens and the Tigues and the Swans could all done it. And then Lionel was like, I want in on this group and I'm gonna kill you all off, and you know, like that's yes, instead of him knowing all along. Yeah, it makes so much sense. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I forgot about my theory but yes, I mean my idea, but yes, yeah, that would have made so much sense. Right, It's like they still could have had their secret society thing, but not You're doing a total mess up of continuity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just right. Cons Lionel one through seven, and I know Clark is the traveler anyway, but I like the little little sprinkling that little references there. So he's turned Clark onto Oliver Queen.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, was I forgot that and rewatching it until later. I forgot that Lionel was lying, so that was right doublecross.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was really great. So I just yeah, I just want to make a proud dad and he's like thank you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah that moment too, when when he puts his hand on Clark and then Clark like backs away.
Speaker 2: Were you thinking of that moment? Did it remind the series finale?
Speaker 3: I was I was going to say, oh yeah, that dude, No, I was gonna say from Legacy when he's like, after all, you only get one.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, what do you doing down here? It must be hard to see him so weak. Yeah. So seriously, like again, like I have not had as much fun watching a season ten episode as this one just because of the presence of John Glover, just totally just he's magnetic. Man, He's so magnetic, you know.
Speaker 3: Side personal note, I've for years obviously wanted to work with him, you know, as a director because I make movies and stuff, and you know, I don't know if he's really acting like anymore at eighty or not.
Speaker 2: But he's He's mentioned that like he doesn't take a lot of jobs and more because it takes him so long to rememborize lions, right, because he's like he's back in the day, it takes me a day, but now I'm like it give me a week, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So maybe the key is just not not to write him too many lions and it's.
Speaker 2: Something where you can read off of or he's like Marlon Brendo style. Yeah, Like, okay, John Glover, if you're listening, Oh man, we cut to the the the engagement party for Lowis and Oliver, right those and all of ours, yes, which is so interesting. At the Ace of Clubs. So there's the little flyer here. It's on Friday December twelfth, twenty ten. That's when this day is taking place. So when when is that farm four quote is you know what? You know what, I'll be too hard on it. That sign this is July left over six months ago. There we go. I just didn't take it down. Makes sense. Sure it air tight, air tight. He's out there. You know he doesn't like the crowd. The crowd doesn't like him. Apparently it was like the whole world doesn't hate He was like, yeah, no, just the Greater Metropolitan area because he's buying up these these I guess small being a small town right outside the city right established, he's buying up this land. He's a real estate guy. He's he's he's kind of lex and Bruce Wayne, now yeah, land and he is he's the Donna verse like Sluper and he's Bruce. He's a lot more Bruce Wayne here than Doliver, Queen of our universes. Well, was it just me or did you that building in the background did it look like the like, I know, I know what you want you're talking about. It's like the Wayne Tower. Likely, but Oliver, like he really does love this loss and he's like, why me? You know, it's the lowest. He's like, because you're like you're a good man. He said, well there's better people out there, Like, well there is, I haven't found him. So that's that's an interesting undercurrent, Like yeah, they're together by default because this Clark is evil.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, totally, Like it's well it's and it's so interesting because it's like I think about that stuff all the time as a hopeless romantic, you know, like the butterfly effect thing, you know, of like if this thing happens and that thing happens, and is this a sign from the universe? And then I meant to be with this perer you know, like like that whole thing, And so I think it's really interesting to see it in this context of like the alternate reality, and it makes you think about like just in life, you know, like ex girlfriend, like what in our alternate reality will we be together? Or what I be with someone else entire you know, all that kind of stuff. It's like, uh, that's one of the cool things about sci fi. It can you can really related to life in that way.
Speaker 2: No, that's the funt of all these alternate you know, infinite possibilities, right, so you know, every every choice you make creates a branch and who knows where how different your life would be. That that's the certain thing about some of these I mean, honestly, some of these alternate universes where it's like he gets really close to like our life. He gets like, you know, if everybody's making different choices, like it'd be radically be unrecognizable. But yeah, I feel bad for this off because like, hey, I really too love you, and most is like, oh, like and you can tell that he likes her? Yes, yeah, totally to always tell everybody you can always So they're about to kiss and then Clark super Speeds are away.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that surprised me. I forgot about that moment and I was like, whoa like cleric? That was like I was applauding his.
Speaker 2: Actually using a luther like tactic to get what he wanted for the scene, you know, like because he calls Oliver on the phones and the mirror Boxing Possession, give it to me, text me the address Lowis will be fine. So he's it's an exchange. He's like on exchange Lois for the yeah for the horror box. Right, And this is a really great scene between Lewis and uh Clark here.
Speaker 3: Oh I love that scene. Actually, that scene, no joke, it made me tear up a little bit. That scene when he's when he's explaining, you know, you're a terrible speller. You misspell normal words that are free, alarming.
Speaker 2: Alarming words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's saying all the different things about her that he loves, and like, I could just I could really relate to that scene. And it was a great moment, you know. And then with his you know, with his final line about I can't live in a in a world where you don't love me, I was like, oh the fels emotions, my emotions. And it comes back so full circle at the end with that moment with the two of them when she's the only one who can can tell I'm me and she looks in his eyes and sees it.
Speaker 2: Like such a beautiful moment, absolutely, and she has this pipe, but she's gonna use against him. Hey, she's not going now without a fight, right. She thinks he's gonna kill her, right, but no, it's it's a beautiful scene where he's trying to convince her like you can see, you know, you can know what I'm lying. You don't tell the truth. Then he leaves that great line like you said, ah, and then that probably leaves her like, oh, I'm stuck with Oliver Queens. I want this Clark because clearly, clearly she she knows, like you know, she's settling for Oliver Queen. I think they communicate that. Yeah, it's like, I mean, you're a good guy. I mean you know, yeah, it's yeah, it's like yeah, it's like it's it's the did you ever watch the show How I Met Your Mother? I know of it.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, there's a whole thing about like this modelogue about like the the thing that's just the almost the thing you want, but it's not one hundred percent the thing you want in a person.
Speaker 2: And it's like that's her and Oliver here, you know.
Speaker 4: There it is.
Speaker 2: But you know the show that they just keep hanging on that little Olliver thing, finding ways to work it in. Speaking of Oliver, he has sent Clark the location for the exchange and it's currently the watch Tower. So cool because we have that set. I mean, like, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna complain about it because it makes the whole switch root great at the end and all that stuff, like the fact that there's no reason for them to be in the same building.
Speaker 3: Fine, it's fine, but you know all buy it, right, It's like, you know, well, and what was cool to this this scene and connecting it also with the last scene with the with the roof, Like I like this whole kind of switching roles with you know, in the alternate universe, like switching roles with Lex in a way where like in like when he's on the roof with Lois, from Lois's perspective, at first, thinking it's ultraman, right, it seems like we're going to get what would be a traditional iconic Lex and Lois on the roof scene, which we know ends traditionally with him pushing her off the roof, right, pretty little.
Speaker 2: Thing called Lois le But then instaid we get the superman in Lewis, you know, and taking a BVS like this is very BVS with all of her, like you know, front Clark is the mysterious ultramat of a Trumples, Like this is totally a trap that Batman would set for one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when he says that about I've had all these all these mouse traps around the around the city for your waiting for your rat ass to show like, it's yeah, very very Batman.
Speaker 2: Totally, Like I love his line about Ultramann. That name sucks, by the way, so funny. It's such an Oliver things. Those those things are what separate Oliver from Batmanda like that. Yes, Batman wouldn't say something funny, would not say that for that chat. Right. So he's like, look, my eyes in the sky from from Lois is safe and I don't know anything about your box. And I was like, why is he lying to him? What's the dealer? Did he double cross? Yeah? Because Clarkson, why Breebier then, because I've been waiting for years to get Ultraman face to face. And he turns the watchtower window into a Kryptonite cool window. Uh, And it's it's great and I really like it. And I think all the actors are so on point in this episode, Like like Justin Harley is like I believe him as like more jaded like Oliver Queen, Like he is Oliver Queen still, but he's got a different energy to him. I think everybody, everybody's doing a good job. Just just adjust in a couple a couple of notches for these alternate versions of themselves where you're just it's they're recognizable, but they're just not them quite themselves like that completely. And he's been hunting Ultraman since he murdered the Swans. So there you go. This is the Veritas family all which that accounted for.
Speaker 3: That's like if it's like, you know, that makes sense in this universe, right, like that that's what ultra Man would do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would send him to do that. Yeah. It's like, but Ultramate, he probably really ultrama probably killed your parents, Oliver. I'm sure you know, but that's okay, but that's how he found out, uh what culture Man's weakness was. So sure, great, I am on board with everything you're saying here. So he's uh loading up a gun, not a kryptonite gun, but just the gun.
Speaker 3: But okay, which, yeah, kind of kind of strange, but but I guess I guess they have enough. He has enough Rypton eight. There, it's doing the job.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: He's he keeps trying to like reason with Olivers, like, oh he's maniac and he's delusional. It's like, well, it makes me feel better about being the enemy of small. This is how he explains like buying up this Land to get Metea Rock. I'm like, it makes perfect sense, totally. Yeah, Like if I like in the cod books, if you reset it or whatever, like and I had a Ground one Superman story, be like, yeah, there'll be a meteor shower in Smallville and there would be a plot where at some point Luther Korp comes to buy up Smallville to get meteor Rock. Exactly. It makes total sense. Yeah, and it makes sense.
Speaker 3: It's like all over it, Like it makes sense with Alliver his character in general, right, like the Oliver that we've seen you know on Earth one too, that he has more of an end justify the means mentality, which is like, you know, okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna buy these you know, these businesses, and some people might you know, lose their land and this and that, but it's worth it because obviously the world saving the world from ultramat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, then then Oliver makes a person Guilois it you took her away from me. She only knows my secret supports me. I'm like, okay, so it's it's got a little personal Yeah, because he stole his wife from his engagement party. Someone I really get the BBS. She's like I believe in justice and oh yeah, I can see him monologuing too. Superman totally was the blueprint here. But were you also thinking of Dark Knight? What do you believe? Of course? Yeah, of course. And then Oliver braids him in He's like, with all your powers, you know how much good you could accomplish? We could have made a hell of a team, right.
Speaker 3: Which was really cool because it's also the classic Lex and Clark thing only turned now well also true, Yeah, Oliver and Oliver. Oliver is his melting pot of Lex and Bruce together here. And then last ditch effort and I actually, I don't know if I remembered this and mouthed it with the lion or I knew it was coming because I watched them on television and fiction. But Clark's like, you're not a murderer, and Ali's like, but you are, like, ah, there is And then out of nowhere, Lionel shows up with the.
Speaker 2: Pipe so badass. That was fantastic. This is the most physical we've seen Lionel, Like, I'm not the Lionel. You knew a later episode he just listen this guy. He got worried he didn't get where he is but not getting his hands dirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he reminds you of his in both universes that he would have grown up on suicide, you know, suicide salum and everything. Right, he had to he had to have got his hands dirty, He had to kind of probably know how to fight, you know, like and like a skinny, you know, intellectual dude like Lionel. He probably had to like extra learn those things, right because he could have, you know, gotten killed on the streets right right, So this is you see street Linel come out.
Speaker 2: It's but he's like, I've been monitoring Oliver Queen's activities constantly. You should have known I would be doing that. And it's like the mirror box, Oh you mean this, He's like he had it the whole time. He's like, your betrayal has been staring me in the face. That couldn't ad been and it makes sense why. But what I find so interesting here is like he's basically well because Clark's like, just let me go and you don't have to worry about me, He's like, worry about you. All I done is worry about you. I like, so like, I love that he's he's felt like he's been trapped trying to keep this alien monster in check.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, right, Yeah, It's like it's like as as evil as Lionel, as as this Lionel is, like John Glover still makes that moment a little bit human, you know, like you can kind of understand, you know, it doesn't justify any of the horrible things he's done, but you can kind of understand it from his perspective that he feels like he's the one who's trapped, like in a way, like he's like scared, as much as he would never admit it, that he's actually scared of ultra man like, of this of the monster that he's created that he's you know, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make him like any way, like, but it's an interesting layer. So what you know, it's like, to John Glover's point about the writing here, like more two dimensional the Lionel had been in the later season, so that that is the more dimension that I give it credit for. And yeah, I'll let you kill Lex, your own brother, my son so good, which which it gives them so much more motivation for when he does go into Earth one. You know, he's not getting Lex back, He's not just going over just to do evil things.
Speaker 3: He's also trying to get Lex back, and so that right gives him another little human motivation.
Speaker 2: Like absolutely, but then he got like he was. He starts kicking him. Oh, I've always been afraid of you, Clark, your power. He takes his belt to the belt starts beating him.
Speaker 3: That was my favorite, one of my favorite moments of the episode because it just really was like, dude, like this Lionel is brutal, and he's and like it takes the whole, Like I love how they took the whole abusive father, you know, that trope of the belt thing, like the old school abusive father, because we're so used to, you know, mentally abusive Lionel, Like there's nothing mentally he wouldn't do to f with you, you know as a kid.
Speaker 2: But physically abusive. We've seen that just a little like in Fracture when he you know, in a memorial and what have you done? You know, like, but this was like whoa dude? Seeing him beat his son with the belt was that was that was And as he's you know, beating him down, he's like, no true luthor would have let me live this lot And it's it's true. It's true dead in our universe.
Speaker 3: It's what I killed him, and and and and it made me think back to uh in Dissent when he has the little smile on his face when he's falling from the window, like he's kind of that's interesting. Of course you you would have that different interpretation of that than me, because I always see it as like the Obi one Kenobi's smile in Star Wars and he dies like he knows it's gonna be okay because Clark's gonna stop him or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like that's what I saw it. We'll see redeemed Lionel.
Speaker 4: I I I.
Speaker 2: Interpreted it as both. I think it's both.
Speaker 3: I think he I think it's redeemed Lionel, happy that Clark, that he dies protecting Clark.
Speaker 2: But at his core, I don't. I don't think that you could ever. I don't think he could ever change so much, even if he's luisoned. Oh man. I like the ambiguity though, and that's something that's some of the of course Jungle were probably brought to it that probably wasn't even in the script. It's probably interesting because if not, if you just throw a body off window, it's not interesting, Like you need to see that what is what is his what is going through his mind?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: It's a mystery to the end. That seems like a very Glover touch. I'm going to eat this peach who peaches that way? John, Those aren't apples. It's fine, it's fine. But this He's like, I am the most fit, I am the survivor. I'm like, I'm like, damn all right, Like he has beaten the hell out of cug Luthor and then all who have been overhearing all this turns off the kryptonite. And then uh, then Clark what a ball or movie. He's like, hey, thanks to the advice dad, but he has the box. Like you never hear these one lighters from Clark.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: I know it was flex. It was great.
Speaker 3: That was such a great moment. And then of course plus one for throwing someone across the room, right, all right, I did knockout right.
Speaker 2: But then I was like, yeah, yeah, I heard, you're the good one. And he's Oliver listened to me like when you when you when I activate this box, lionel Son's gonna be in my spot. You gotta turn that thing on and you gotta kill him and it's like, sadly, obviously it didn't go well because as we find out later, like he killed Oliver Queen, right, So this is what So this is what makes me think of mirror mirror, and I recommend you like the original Star Trek work. I don't know how much of it you watch, but we'll seek it out the end of that episode. So that's what's so interesting about this one because we see what both sides are doing on that episode of Star Trek, like in our universe, like Spock puts them the brig and mainly and there's not a story there, but here, like where Clark Luther's doing stuff, our Clark's doing stuff. The end of that episode, Captain Kirk is talking to the spot from the universe. He's like, listen, He's like, you you can be the difference in this universe. You can choose to make a difference and change.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So the idea is like he inspires that guy to turn things around, much like Clark here is inspiring all of He's like, he's like, you know, you said you wish we could have saved the world together. In my world we do. I'm like, oh man, Like it's it's so good, Like it's that was such a great feels moment. It was like you need it because you were beat you're beaten down as much as Clark gives in this episode. Yeah, this is a this is a really dark episode. Yeah, it's like, oh man, but but gosh, I'm like, oh no, did he not turn onsen it off? Yeah, it's like it's like, we know that doesn't end. Well, that makes it even more tragic. Yeah, maybe maybe there's a different encounter, you know, maybe it's not this one, but this seems like this would be the time when yeah, Clark, when Ultraman showed back up and and killed uh killed Oliver Queen here unfortunately. Yeah, so we see Clark stand up, he starts turning the box and you see Lione like no, he's running. I'm like, oh, I know what's gonna happen because we knew, we knew John Glover was gonna be back from multiple episodes right now. People love how they don't spell it out.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say when I saw this episode, I don't think I knew he was gonna be back for multiple because I remember that the ending of this episode made me like get up and cheer it because I was so excited. I was like, oh cool, Like so I don't think I knew, and I was like, oh my gosh, yes, they're gonna have him back.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. But it's like you see him running and then you see the three sixty and you don't really know what's going on. But we so we've talked about this before, right, So like people switched places with the other universe body of them. Right, yeah, So man, dude, I don't know. I think we've talked about this before I lived. But like in my head canon, this Lionel was in Lionel's grave and then he pulled a killer and duve himself up through the ground. Right, How bad ass is that? That's such a oh my gosh, I love that chilled I've never thought of that, but that is that. I guess. The only way it works is because it's like a cheap coffin, because like, like you know, like if you really start no pun intended digging deep into how this is going to happen, Like I don't know, like because it's a it's a pine box. I mean, he's a bad ass. He's room on the streets, like no dude, No, that's my head can. No, Linel was trained by Pie obviously, and then his his skeletal corpse appeared in that room when Clark switched by that that's my head cannon. Now the loophole is, well, he touched Lark and Clark was of the mirror. But then where did he go? Like, that's where did he go? Where he And that's my head canon. That's my head can dude. I think that's awesome. I love this.
Speaker 3: And then Lionel just like walks across it covered in dirt like uma to the restaurant and then instead of asking for a water, he asked for like a Chardonnay or no for a Scotch, for a scotch.
Speaker 2: Oh man, uh but no, we see we see Clark back in our universe and the Watchtower is completely trashed. Tests and Oliver and Lois all have weapons on him. We got some kryptonize. Good thing, Chloy mantle those Kryptoni weapons to fight the Cantarian. They're about to kill him. I think they got him dead to rights, you know, yeah, he's got a Oliver has a crypt I know. I was like, say good night or whatever, and no, wait wait, wait, wait, wait, it's me, Lowis, tell tell it's me. He look into my eyes and Lois and a lot of the fandom has made a big point about this, Okay, ye, yeah, Lois versus can tell the difference between Ultraman and Clark when Lana could not tell there between Clark and Mazaro. So that's why they're meant to be. There's a proof.
Speaker 3: It's such a great it's such a great point, right, It's like they have that soul connection.
Speaker 2: She can see it right in his eyes. And then everybody kind of looks at each other and all right, Okay, still couldn't get in touch with us of Justice League, but at least great Arrow, So we kept the commercial. We come back. Lois is a at the hospital, but it's it's a quick at the hospital. She's just kind of it's not a room. It's like the waiting area with all the beds of the R room whatever. But it still counts of course. Oh yes, self awareness, because I was like, man, the amount of times I've signed one of those charge forms, and lucky for us, the planet's got great coverage. I thought that was a really funny, funny line. But you're deductibles through the roof. I bet right. He's like, yeah, something like that. So they're self aware, right, And I love again the playfulness here. He gives us some flowers and she's like, what are these for? He says nothing, says sorry, my dappa anger tried to kill you like flowers. I think there's a card for that. Well, they were out, like it's these human back and forth are so important. I think he established these relationships.
Speaker 3: Right, totally, totally, and especially when you you see any any time that they really get to show Clark and Lewis being playful together in the later years, is like, I really like that, you know, because that their whole relationship started with playful banter, even if it was like I don't like you or whatever, but it was still like playful banter, you know. So I like that.
Speaker 2: I like when they keep that, when they keep that going, because it can get like the show can get so serious with all the saving the world, all the dark things happening and stuff, that it's fun to see those moments in between. She does drop a he wasn't you, Clark, But I'm I don't think that's what You're not yourself, you know, I'm not going to count that as you're not, because it's he really was a different person. It wasn't. Yeah, he does say that. I mean he's like, it still was me in that mirror, right, and the way you looked at me, Lewis, you know, it calls back again, like you know, the I can't live in a world where you don't love me, right, yes, totally. Now he says he destroyed the mirror box. We'll never be seeing him again. We know that's not the case. Something we'll see when we get the Kent. What kind of techno babble they say how it worked for Clark. We've finally come back over here. But anyway, Oh yeah, I forgot how they how they pulled that off. Yeah, well we'll find out. Always on the smudgle uh. Because Clark's like, man, he was a monster. I was a monster, right, because he realizes, you know, Lionyl. This is when it just goes into his conversation with Test about Lionel. Maybe this way and this is where Lowis drops that makes you wonder how earth to lois Lane managed to put up with such a colossal tool. He doesn't he doesn't tell her like, oh, we weren't together, you were wearing all over. He just he's like, over that, we're not gonna I don't want to refan those flames, right. But he's like, eh, but I bet you give him another chance. And she's like, you don't have to worry about a second chances with me. You're doing great with the first chance right here. I'm like, I love it. That's so cute. I love that. Now, technically this is like his eighth chance with her basically, but that's okay, you know, you know what I mean for all the failing launch situations. Yeah, but it's it's very cute. They leave the hospital together and she likes her flowers, and it's it's just, I'm really, do you guys have known the journey I've been on with Clark and Lewis on this show. But I am one thousand percent on board and they have really sold me on this and I am one hundred percent team Clois. I love team Klois. And this reminded me.
Speaker 3: It was interesting, like again, all these callbacks we've been talking about, Like, there were two little things that reminded me of with this scene with Lois and Clark, Like the flowers in the hospital reminded me of a rival. Oh, she just takes the flowers and then yeah, and then she's like, no, no, it's okay, there for there for her whatever, like like, but I always thought that was like like a cute little moment back then of like foreshadowing with the two of them, you know, and uh and also also kind of calling back to season three with Clark being like I can't bear for you to ever look at me that way again to Lana when he read Clark, you know. So it was just cool to see those like different parallels. But how it's like now this happier thing with low is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So let me cut to Luther mansion and Test has some some photos all spread out. She has a promotional photo from hot Head of John Glover. She's got a picture of the baby Lex actor from the first couple episodes of the season. And then I assume a picture of young young Cassidy Freeman here, I don't I didn't recognize it. So then just random other pictures and this this is my point from earlier brok no lx no, Michael Rosenbaum Lex right, yeah, yeah, like where why would that doesn't make sense? What are we doing like like in the season nine finale picture of him on the paper, right, yeah, President, I'm like you can use these, yeah you it's I don't know how much the license rights likeness rights work here, but.
Speaker 3: I yeah, but I would you would think they would have because the character was on the show for seven years. You would think they would have like perpetuity rights for old picture with me.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know, she's just we wallowing in her sorrows here and a family history. And then Clark shows up and he's uh to make up for what he said earlier, like Luthor blood is poisoned. Sorry I said that, right. This is a really good scene between the two of them. It's interesting. So we've we've seen this like sexual chemistry between in this episode and yeah, it's like it's just just platonic care chemistry between them and and uh yeah it's it's it's a great scene for Clark and test.
Speaker 3: I really loved the scene too. I thought it was a great a great moment to see them bonding. Uh it like you said, in this platonic way after we saw the sexual with Ultra Man and Clark's whole point about like you know, when he says that to test about I was wrong. It wasn't Luthor blood, it's the man himself that corrupts.
Speaker 2: Which which yes, that's the message. But like, I feel like they unintentionally kind of undercut the whole redemption arc for Lionel here. I was wondering.
Speaker 3: I was, I was gonna ask you what you thought about Like like it's like, I know he's talking about evil line o, but yeah, it still kind of feels a little bit like you know, he's forgotten about that because he's like, well, I mean because Test is upsetting, Like you know what the worst weirdest part about it all is is I'm upset he threw be away, right yeah. And Clark's like, well, you know, Lionel raised tests over there in her life is a lot worse, so you know they're not okay.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, okay, well you don't. I don't know who's to say, right, who's to say? But totally it totally tracks. It totally fits. I also like how Clark's is wearing like a gray sweater. I'm like, it's like Season one, normal person Clark close, Oh yeah, that's true. That's like he's not wearing a blue jacket. Yeah, it's just a normal person Like, yeah, god, yeah, I've missed I've missed season one. Normal person Clark close you know you know what I mean though, because you know season it goes up to about season three, all right, then after that, no more normal clothes up this guy. Yeah unless he's in like actually this season. But you know they're making up a little more with you know, it's civilian ware. But you guys, you know what I'm saying. Yes, Tess is like, you're lucky either the kids found you, and Clark just said, you know, they didn't find me. I found them. That would have been great. And then he just said, you know, actually my biological think we said a couple hours ago he was here in the sixties and he really liked it. But anyway, this is a good bonding scene, like they hold each other's hand and Clark's like, look, I'm gonna be there, Like I think that's the thing with they are the positive outcome of what could have been between Lex and Clark.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, totally totally the the Luther and Clark, you know, Luther and Superman team up right, like the tests, like you know, like Lex having her intelligence, her resources, and that really is like I think still to this day, like if Clark told season one through three Lex, I think that's where they'd be.
Speaker 2: At the end, you know. And if they weren't both in love with LTA, that was probably if they were.
Speaker 3: If they weren't, even if they were, they probably would have ended up like Lexmith's where Clark's like, okay with lex beiing with her, you know, yeah, like think it's.
Speaker 2: Like maybe, and then Tessa's you know. The one of the big reasons I kept Alexander's secret is I was afraid that he might be the closest thing to a family I would ever know, just sad, yeah, totally no, where are your family?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm like, all right, that's great moment. Yeah, Like, and it was also really interesting how how how ominous the ending of that scene is after it was so heartwarming, But then there's that you know about Alexander could be Yeah, like.
Speaker 2: He's just as smart as Okay, you're trying to build up this criminal genius from the comics. He wasn't before, right, I think that's what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Which yes, I was thinking, Okay, that's thinking of the original plan, that that's that would have made total sense. Oh right, you're right, Yeah, you're right, because this is super Boy.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 2: He's smarter than Lexlithor that's super Boy, tell you that's hey. We we live in a world where Superboice is smarter than Lex Luthor. And Oliver Queen killed Lex leu All. Yes, when Oliver Queen killed Lex Luthor, Oh my goodness. And that leads us to our final scene, Brocup, potentially the best final scene of any episode of small Boy. Yeah, that's strong words, I know. Yeah, it's definitely in the conversation because the headline, the blur saves under scrutiny because of the you know, Vigilante Registration Act that's supplogging on the season. And then the paper comes down it's a line a Luther.
Speaker 3: Such this moment every time I watch it like chills, and I'll never forget how excited I was when when this first aired, and you just the reveal of him with you know, his gloved hands, which is a very lex thing too, you know, the gloved hand.
Speaker 2: It's like boom, his faith and.
Speaker 3: Very like I said, the fourth wall break, you know, it's with all of his all the Shakespeare elements in this episode like King Lear. You know that uh the fourth wall break you know really comes from Shakespeare. Like Richard the third was one of the first where he's not just doing a soliloquy on stage to himself. He's literally looking at the audience and he's a villain who's you know, sucking the audience into his orbit, right, And so I was thinking, Ah, that's a great Richard the third moment.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's a Lara. I hadn't thought of it before, but you're right, you're he's like if there's, if there was ever gonna be a character and an actor that break the fourth wall in the show. He's a guy. Yes, I got I got a shout out to the to the to the newspaper worker, the newspaper stand guy, Joe Maffei. This is his fourth episode as basically the newspaper stand coffee vendor guy. So I remember he's in a few episodes and so the good Audi sir. He was also in one episode of season one as a janitor. So anyway, he's he's been just around.
Speaker 3: I thought he looked familiar from all previous episodes. Yeah, that's I just like his I like his like he just has such a normal guy persona. It's just like it's a It makes for an interesting clash with like the universe, like the story we're in. You know, he just seems like.
Speaker 2: Such a normal guy. Oh, I haven't ever seen you around you know well, I mean don't I know even sort Yeah, dude, it's like Donald Trump buying a newspaper from me. What are you talking about you?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I was gonna say that the Donald Trump is exactly the metaphorm.
Speaker 2: Even if he's been dead for three years, I would recognize maybe that's right. But anyway, he's like, but anyway, so he's like, I'm from out of town, unexpected visit. Like every every line he says to her is and I would try to use in my every day.
Speaker 3: And of course I'm sure this happens to you as it does to me all the time. Like I'll say those things and and and no one knows what I'm talking about, right, I'll do it in the voice too, you know, and like and and and they just stare at you. And it's like if if someone responds by actually knowing, I'm like, that's how you know, Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's raining, there's umbrellas everywhere, you know. He takes a moment, you know, and he's like, guess I'm backing the niked time and he just takes in the rain and he looks dead into the camera. He says, wouldn't want to missenter. All turns out, and then he opens up the umbrella and he fades into the crowd, and I'm like, that's brilliant, Like he doing out there, so so good. It's not talking about himself, He's talking about season ten of Smallville, the whole series, Like this is the most medal line of all time ever, ever, It's like it was.
Speaker 3: It was just See, this is why I love being on the show, because I know, even though you and I didn't know each other back in the day, we were experiencing the exact same thing together, you know, like as this show was on, like the same feelings and geeking out over it. I don't know if you if this, if you thought of this too, but every time I see that moment where he disappears into the crowd, I always think of.
Speaker 2: I'm having an old friend for dinner, Clarice. That very, very may well have influenced that, but it's just the fact that this evil is out there, Anonymous, dangerous. It's it's incredible and just like smallA had never done a fourth Wall break up, never never, Yeah, No, this is the only one. Yeah, And that's why it's so amazing and it's and it's and that's and that's why I'm like this should have been the mid season finale, you know, like I don't care how all the superheroes got knocked out and they're in the Matrix. I mean whatever, that's nonsense. This is what I'm here for, like here for Lex Luthor things. Yes, yes, they really if they left it, it really is the perfect cliffhanger.
Speaker 3: Like literally Lionel stepping out of the fourth to the Fourth Wall to tell us that we shouldn't.
Speaker 2: It turns out very street eenchanti they said, he wanted.
Speaker 4: Lem So what are you matter, super Mad? And what if my soulmate comes along and I'm too blind to see it? Just follow your heart and you'll always do the right thing, Oh Mad, you can past life.
Speaker 2: World needs your quirk.
Speaker 4: What about what we need? Man need it.
Speaker 2: Said this sweet set, Who are you? Lois? Lois my three pas?
Speaker 4: Just you're more than just a hero. They're superhero.
Speaker 2: Give me a nerd with glasses any day of the week. Whatesome, something dark is coming.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be tested like you have never been tested before. Sweet Jessy, I know my destiny.
Speaker 2: Smallville season premiere next Friday at eighty seventh.
Speaker 4: Central New One, Blue ray and DVD.
Speaker 2: This is where it's all been leading you become.
Speaker 4: That's great to say it.
Speaker 2: More than two hours of special features the final season of Small Tale on Blue ray and DVD November twenty nine and on the Complete series collection on DVD. Luther got an eight point six out of ten on IMDb and Douglas Trouble from the Superman homepage go to four out of five. So on the letter grade scale, Brokay, what would you give Luther? Oh? My gosh, A plus?
Speaker 3: I mean this is come on, this this episode is It's as though they, the the showrunners and every writers and everyone knew me personally and they and they gift rapped it for Christmas for me.
Speaker 2: I am right there with you. I'm gonna give it an A plus as well. This is one of the most enjoyable episodes of not just the season, but the series. Yep, you heard us going on fun continuity rants, right, but those are all part of it, right, But you're so right. Like mentioned earlier, we'd been talking about what what if episode of Litel fell and Clark right and like, and they did it, and they nailed it. Like there's nothing more frustrating when like they give you what you've been waiting for and it's not not yes, yes, or it's like almost but it doesn't quite stick the landing, like you know, but this one, you can play what if all day long? Oh what if my girl's mom was here? They could have brought in a lot or what about the kids? Like yeah, yeah, but the story they're telling here, yes, past being the kind of the through line sort of like that it works so well, so so a plus for I needed this in season ten. I have been kind of like, oh eh, like this one was like a lifeboat for you in seasons ten, it's a shot on the arm. It's a shot on the arm for season ten, we'll put it that way. But oh man, let's get to the tally board short tellyboard. We have amazing technical or cryptonite plus one for the blue Krypton kite that we see Clark and Litel fight with so that brings us to twenty one. Wow, and we have a plus one for hospital visit. We have one hundred and fifty two. I don't think we're gonna get to two hundred. I'm shame I predicted. I predicted two hundred back in the day when when we talked about this, I mean, we need, we need a lot of people to the hospital last half of the season. But uh, but yeah, that's that's gonna for the tally board. And you know what, I just want to throw this out there, Okay, the the monogram jacket. Right, we're ten episodes in how many how many episodes do you think we've seen that thing? Has he worn it? I'm gonna say at this point seven, Now you you would think yeah, right, four. Really it's just there's not He's fairly warring it. What's the point of this costume? I'm I'm saying my old runner is ten. I'm taking the under you know, for the season because I'm like why anyway, you know my stance about the trench coversus the jack in this That's why I'm made in so on category to prove my point, Like, if you're gonna be in this like seven times and twenty one episodes. Why did we even change That's my point, Yes, exactly exactly. It's a short tally board, so I wanted to point that out. That's that's so true. Like with the tally board too.
Speaker 3: I wanted to point out even though it's not in this episode, you would think maybe it would be, but it's a few episodes down the line with either Beacon or what the what's the one? I think it's the one after that Lionel appears. Oh, Scion, Yeah, and Scion, I think so. I was gonna say, it's gonna finally after years of no opera, it's gonna be a plus one for Linel listening to opera again.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, where he's in the where he's in the office.
Speaker 3: Yes, and he's he's technically listening to the same opera, Costa Diva, that that one that he heard in season five when it's you know your secret.
Speaker 2: Is safe with me? Well, he just pulled out the CDs. He was reading Lionel's daily journals listening to a CDs. Yes, daily daily journal. Think it was a little weird writing in a journal, Dear Diary, Martha kitt theyde I contact with me today. Oh my goodness, so good. Bechdel Test faster fail tests and lowis talk. But it's about evil Clark, so I think fail, right, it would be a fail.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It's not like relationship talk, but it's it's about Clark, about Clark, so we're gonna we're gonna call it a fail. All right, man, Well, this has been fantastic. Obviously, couldn't do this episode with anybody but you. Thanks has always spend the time to come on the podcast, tell us about what you're working on now where people can find you out there online.
Speaker 3: Awesome, thanks man, it was such a pleasure of being here for this one. Yes, I'm as always working on movies. Shot a feature film over the summer called Morte and as the title probably suggests, it's a horror but a lot of dark comedy too. And right now I'm in the process of editing, actually just edited the rough cut last night. Hopefully we'll have it released by Halloween, so.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for that.
Speaker 3: You can, you know, find me on Instagram and Facebook, Matthew Rocca, and I'm constantly self aggrandizing and promoting, so you can find any of your related stuff there too.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, you'll be back before it's all said and done this season. So yes, we celebrate. As we celebrate the final season.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that we're finally that we're finally here, that you're finally here. Man, all the wait, when did you start the podcast?
Speaker 2: It was, what year? Twenty sixteen? Sixteen?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think I think I discovered you around then or maybe twenty seventeen, but yeah, it was because then we start talking about the Covenant and the music and yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Twenty okay, yes, yes, yes, that's right, that's right. Oh yeah it was okay, I just yeah, no, that's amazing. You've been You've been on quite a journey doing a single.
Speaker 2: And uh and let me tell you, man, you wouldn'tant to miss that all turns out. So stay tuned. We'll be back next week talking about Icarus. But until then, Always hold on to Smallville. Always hold on to Smallville is part of the Always Hold On To network of podcasts and brought to you by listeners like you, Chris Fuchs, Cavante, Chillis, Joy Deenburg, DJ douinna Isaah Goodrich, Cory Moore, Nathan Roth, Thatcher, A Tiev Chic Thomas Navin, John Cursio, Madame Rouge, Markets Foppin, Patricia Carrillo, Michael Hartford, Jim Crawford, Casey Vasch, Macon Rich, Marie Humphrey, Alex Hamilton, Matt Douglas, Danel Curriel, James b Merril Smith, Trevis Hole, Andrew Franco villain of Tom's Story, Nathan McKenzie, Steve Rodgers, Molly Figuerella, James Lee, Joe Michael Jason Davis, Patrick Bravo, Jacob Steven Art, Dana Bias, Alex Ramsey, Tay Tay, John Bob Tina b Darren Kirsch, Dylan D'Antonio, Nick Crime, Bagdoza, Eddie Bissell, Jim Thomas, Clunk, Kent, Nicholas Fansler, John Long, Ruth and Cruz, Travis Kill, Mike Thomas, Nina Jay, Nicholas Cosso, Jared Gibbs, Anthony Anderson, Jason mcgilly, Keith Falls, Rob O'Connor, James Hart, Anthony Deciatto, Crystal Cross, Jake c John Sweitzer, Karen Kumar, and Lorenzo Valdez. Thank you so much to all these patrons, and you two can become a patron by going to Patreon dot com, slash always Malville with one S. Hope to see you there. Always solo onto Smallville's theme music is by Lance Laster, and our podcast art is by Tom Gurky. You can follow us on Twitter at always Malville with one S, You can find us on Facebook at always hold on to Smallville, and you can send us an email at Alwaysmalville at gmail dot com. Once again with one S, thanks for listening.