Speaker 1: Stuck at home, bored and alone. You'd think I could have some fun on my own button all I called af with Cecily and Stephanie. What's up, everybody? It is bored a f Honestly, I'm gonna be for real, for real with you guys, Like for real. This is probably my favorite show to do because a lot of the it's fun, it's it's chill, it's like so chill, and the other shows we do depend on watching, like bad TV shows, which, from your perspective as a listener, I'm sure that's fun because you know you can just sit back and watch the show on your own time and listen to us make fun of it. So good for you. I'm glad like life works out that way for you. But we have to actually watch them and take notes.
Speaker 2: Yes, like here in ways we take notes as we walk around the world. We're like, oh that's interesting, that's a bord af thing. Yeah, that's a boarding.
Speaker 1: Then I forget and then I, like I used to do with stand up.
Speaker 2: I would not write down the notes, or I'd write them on an old, crumpled napkin and then throw out the joke.
Speaker 1: I was never very organized, never I know not so many times I see things like in the world and I think, oh my god, like that or you know, you know what it is? Actually, Oh my god, this is so this is I've been meaning to tell you this anyway. Sometimes I'll see a comedian do a joke like I on you know, Instagram or something, you'll you know, subscribe to comics, and I'll be like, oh my god, Like that's that's like I should have I should still be doing stand up because oh yeah, because I'm like, those are the kind of things that I just that you and I like say in conversation to each other, m hm, do you know what I mean? And I'm like, God, that person is just doing that as like their stand up act.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 2: But also some of them are still so and You're like, why didn't I try harder? That's like all you have to do is just do it. Yes, I really have to do That's.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying. That's what I'm saying. I'm like, it's such a waste that I was always like, ah no, it has to be the greatest joke and it doesn't just has to be like a funny thought you have.
Speaker 2: You just have to get like a facelift. Here's what we have to do. We have to get a lot of filler, try to look crazy young. I think it's I think stand up is wasted on the youth.
Speaker 1: Is that a thing? I think it is? These these these kids these days, man, these comedians, these young comics these days, they have so much confidence.
Speaker 2: They have too much confidence because there's not as much talent to back it up half the time.
Speaker 1: But some of them are funny. Like sometimes I'll see somebody and I'll be like, Oh, this person's funny. It's their delivery. And then I'm like, you know what, I had funny delivery. I'm just going to pat myself on the back for a second and go, I got my own jokes. I understand how to do the timing. It's just that I thought every joke had to be the greatest fucking joke that's ever been written, or I wouldn't want to do it. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: I never had that problem, I mean even a little bit, not even a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, and you're a good comedian, just.
Speaker 2: A different kind of comedian because I think, my I we're not going to talk about this whole thing again.
Speaker 1: As we've done this million times.
Speaker 2: We have talked about this so many times, but I'm just gonna say this, you were more of a joke writer, or are more of a joke writer. And I came up in the storytelling Janine garofflo age, even though you did as well and you liked that stuff too, But that was when I first started doing stand up. That's all that you did. You told a crazy story about your agent, you know what I mean. It was like, that's that was my stand up. That's what I loved, mom stuff, but that it was long stories. There was no joke rafting really not really. Like sometimes I would get together with some of my friends who I'm still very good friends with, like Greg Moore and you know, and he's like he's like the kind of comic and he's a headlining comic now, but he actually opens for Nate or GHATSI.
Speaker 1: You know, yes, yes, Nate Jesus Middle he opens for him.
Speaker 2: He's like in Europe, he went to Europe with him on their like they're real good riend. He's got a great career. As my point, Greg has a bunch of specials. He's done really well. But he would sit for hours and write and I'd be like, what are you doing? Let's go drink and he's like, no, I don't even like to drink that much. I've never been a big drink. It would be like, what do you and then he would try to get me. He used to do the thing where he'd get other comics, and I think Henry might have been part of that at one point, where he'd want to go to the deli, like he'd want to go to Green Blats like old Jewish comics and write and I was so bored.
Speaker 1: I was like, are they going to be cute guys? And he's like, oh, well no.
Speaker 2: No, none that you haven't already slept with could be his reply. I'm like and then I would go and get bored and like get like a glass some wine at like two in the afternoon. I just didn't understand the assignment. And now he's done very well as a comedian, and I didn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, the hard work, okay, but I'm going to push back because I was like that and I am not doing well as a comedian. Obviously I have doing it, yeah, because it wasn't going well. So I didn't stop, like at the height of my like things are going great. I want to quit while I'm ahead? Was it like that? It was like, Oh, this is never going to work. I'm never going to be a famous comedian. What am I doing? And I think I'm going to try to get a job working on a shitty TV show? I mean, it was timing out. It's timing. It was tedious. Things changed in your life. You got married and had kids.
Speaker 2: That's a different look for like Greg, Yes, but continue you know it didn't matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm not trying to like, I'm not trying to argue like against myself, but I'm just being I'm just being honest. Like, No, I took it seriously. First of all, I didn't really come up. Well. I came up a little bit before you, for sure, And there was there. Alternative comedy wasn't a thing when I started.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. I know you always liked it, but that wasn't your thing.
Speaker 1: For sure. I liked it.
Speaker 2: I had a stand up way before I did, for sure. I mean my first time doing stand up was ninety seven or ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so and I was probably like ninety okay, I'm assuming I moved to LA in eighty six. Yeah, probably around like nineteen ninety. I started nineteen maybe even earlier. I don't know, yeah, maybe like right before. That doesn't really matter. The point is I'd been doing stand up for a few years open mic nights, writing joke jokes, and then later I mean, I've been doing it for a while when like Jinny Garofolo came on the scene. But she also had jokes when I first used to see her, Like, she had a joke like the joke about seeing someone at Renfair and they take themselves really seriously and she's like and they're like yeah, They're like, She's like, can you can you tell me what time it is? And then the pray tell which is time? And then she's like, listen, you're wearing a swatch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the joke was. The joke was, where can I get a diet coke? Pretty tell is a diet coke? Oh my god, you're wearing a swatch? Yeah, that was the joke, I think, yeah, or she may have changed it a few times back when she would. I saw her on like HBO Comedy Special in the eighties and I was like, that's the greatest fucking thing I've ever seen. I didn't even know that could exist, but no, you're right, she did sort of have more of an act. But then when the Luna Park, well Largo wasn't yet a thing, but Luna Park started. That was all those guys like Patten and Bob and David and they would just go up and and I've said this before, but my favorite was of all of them was Julia Sweeney, who told the best stories. You guys know where is Pat from SNL, But my god, she is the most brilliant freaking writer and she's so delightful and she's who I wanted to be. Yes, that's exactly Kathy Griffin, all those people. So yeah, and then I don't know when that went away, but it definitely went away.
Speaker 1: But I stopped doing well. So I just wasn't doing well as a comedian. It's not even that I wasn't doing well, but I was always just so hard on myself and like always felt like I had to kill or right now. And I came up, like I said, at a time where people like I can't even tell you like the different names of the comedians, but they were all kind of old school, and I just remember having to go up after a lot of those people and just go I just Gallagher two. Gallagher two. I had to put a tarp. I had to put on a tarp. And then I'd be like, you're not even Gallagher one, Like why do I have to get a tarp? And then nobody would Shang.
Speaker 2: I'm probably I had to go after Shang on like a very important thing.
Speaker 1: It was like Aspen, like Aspen audition.
Speaker 3: I was like, why are you.
Speaker 1: Gonna put after Shang?
Speaker 2: You guys, we haven't talked about this. He was a very high energy guy that would just like have sex with a microphone.
Speaker 1: Well. He also had a thing, okay, so Craig Shoemaker head, I'm the love master baby, and he'd get a black voice and it was so offensive and awful even back then. But Shang had something where he called himself like the dick master or something. Yeah, and then I would make fun of him to his face because I was kind of friendly with him, and he'd be like stop it, and I'd be like, do the dick master thing. That's so funny, and he'd just be like stop it. And I do think there was a time where he was like, I don't want to do that joke anymore. I don't want to be known for that. But it was like too then he'd have to lapse into it because you know, I feel like he got to get a laugh. That is good. What's Shane up to? Now?
Speaker 2: What do you think? Let me look him up, let's see what. Let's see. Is he still still going Sha Forbes? We had a last name? Yeah, I'm pretty sure did he? Oh yeah, he comes up Shang Forbes. Why didn't he use his last name?
Speaker 1: It's just cool, Like, if your name's Shang? What what? What do he got used for a name? We have a lot.
Speaker 2: We have eleven mutual friends, which I would think we'd have more. Is this the same guy or there can't be more than one? Yeah, you're one of our mutual friends. Yeah, now this is him. He's working busy month. He says he's doing Linwood. Shit, got some Fresno shows going. Oh yeah, that's he's ruining everybody's lives like bit by bit. And I don't mean the audience, I mean the other fucking comics. Oh well, that's Shang.
Speaker 1: The cover of his cover is Shang is Shngry, and it says the comedy special available now at Amazon Prime. And it's just a picture of him with like a bandana around his head and it's like his hands are in fists and he's just got an open mouth, like ah, I want to say this about him. We're not really making fun of Shane because he goes very well, great jokes. He seems nice.
Speaker 2: He also has an anti Trump thing, which I like, like he's on the right side of things.
Speaker 1: So you know what I've turned around. I'm not making fun of Shang. We're just making fun of comedy of comedians that started back then and are still doing that, still doing it t mecula. I mean, listen, do what makes you happy?
Speaker 2: I live in a like like Squalor, so we're all we're so.
Speaker 1: I have a I have an interesting story for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, this is this is an old yeather a round. This is an old bored a f story. Right, okay, ready you're hanging in. You're good, Yes, you're ready. I went to the grove.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like never.
Speaker 2: Good when it starts with the grove. All right, Okay, let me go back a little bit on TikTok. I had seen one of those tiktoks. It's weird that like the TikTok is the place that you see the TikTok.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're on TikTok and you're like, what am I going to come across here?
Speaker 2: And you're like, yeah, but you're gonna come across talks like saying I'm watched TV and one of the TVs, one of the TVs I watched.
Speaker 1: You're like, wait what, but that's what it is. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So one of those stupid tux was one of those things of like, you know, I'm going to do everything.
Speaker 1: I can to not get botox. I have it scheduled actually.
Speaker 2: But I'm really scared for some dumb reason, I don't want to go into that.
Speaker 1: We've been to it, literally, talking about that with you for since we year started this show. You've been five years you've been talking about should I get botox? Yes? Or should? And yes is the answer? So but I have not well five years ago it wasn't the answer, but now yes, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: A hundred percent, no question, I mean not even a little bit of a question. I would Okay, that's I could go on so many threads on this, but so I I see this TikTok and it's one of those things. It's called you've seen these that ill maciage. You've seen those.
Speaker 1: The makeup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have makeup and they have all kinds of stuff. But one of the things they have is quite magical. And it's this little thing, this little tube of liquid and you basically painted over your lines on your face and like it absorbs in and somehow like literally gets rid of the lines on your face in real time. Okay, He's like, well, maybe I'll order that. I'm not I don't like ordering things online, you know, I like to test everything out, don't make decisions very well.
Speaker 1: But I was like, maybe I'll do it.
Speaker 2: But then another because I looked at that TikTok, a different TikTok popped up of something called like doctor Peter Roth or whatever, you know that line.
Speaker 1: So it's some kind of.
Speaker 2: Line of makeup creams, whatever, And they had a similar thing and they showed this TikTok is like the viral trend. Watch for yourself. So I watch and this lady paints this stuff on her like eleven on her forehead and goes away, and I'm like, what, that's not pop, that's crazy. So I go to the Grove and I go to Sephora, and I was like, do you have you seen the TikTok where they make the lines go away and they're like, yes, we've got it. Come this way. I follow the lady to where this stuff is, this cream. She's like, let's try it. Let's do it. Here's how you do it. You take a tiny bit and you put it on your eleven, on your the wrinkles on your forehead, and you just keep making like an upward motion with your finger until it dries. Right, and she goes, do it like this. Watch she goes, first, watch this TikTok on how to do it.
Speaker 1: I did that. We did it together. I did it.
Speaker 2: I look in the mirror and Stephanie, it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Like everything's got, the line is gone.
Speaker 1: It's like a perfect like a like a baby's face, right, like a baby's forehead.
Speaker 2: So then I'm like, oh my god, what the fuck? This just exists on your shelf. And she's like yep. So I was like, okay, how much fifty bucks. She's getting it ready, we're bagging it. We're doing the thing. We're walking over to the bags. I look into the mirror as I get to the near the checkout. There's mirrors all over Sephora, and where that once was, where it was perfectly smooth, is now like a square of white chalk that is literally falling off my face. Like imagine just a white square and it's just flaking off my face. So I was like, oh, she goes, Oh no, that is one of the side effects.
Speaker 1: I was gonna tell I have this stuff. It's very similar. It's called like flexiderm or something. It's the same idea that I got and I bought it because somebody turned me onto it and I yes, and it like like I can't explain it. You explained it better than I can, but it like looks like it's peeling off sort of in a weird way. It's sort of unwearable to us. And the lady, the lady, bless.
Speaker 2: Her heart, she's just doing her job to sell things, but she was really trying to make she was going so fast so that I wouldn't see it because when she's like, oh, like, it was more like, oh no, it didn't work on your skin type. It was like, oh damn it that mirror. Because I really was just I was going to get the I cream.
Speaker 1: I was down. I couldn't believe this miracle thing, right, And so I just I looked at her like, are you shitting? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But I mean I was like, come on, and I go and then she's like yeah, And I was going to meet a friend and I go, do you have like a cotton ball that I can white? I mean, this is like I can't even go where I'm going with this. Okay, yeah, let's get this off your face. So she gets it off.
Speaker 1: And then she was gonna sell it to you, yes, knowing looking at me only because I saw here. Did she she lose that sale? And so finally there was a guy she was doing it, and this guy kind of linger. He also worked there, and he was kind of watching this whole thing unfold.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, you know, I'm just going to tell you what he I'm going to do an impression, but I'm not like making fun of him.
Speaker 1: But he was there and I just looked at him like, I gave him a look like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: And he's like, I go, so I just have to get botox, right, And he's like, yes, honey.
Speaker 1: He even knew.
Speaker 2: He probably felt bad that we're going through this rigamogamarole yes, yes, Queen's honey, honey girl, honey boo boo. Yeah, you can't get around the And I've had this conversation with my last thing I'm gonna say and then I'll be quiet.
Speaker 1: But I texted one of my well, this is your show, this is your show, girl, our show.
Speaker 2: But I had texted one of my mom's friends because they all look fabulous in Dallas in their eighties, and I was like, how do you what cream do you use? And she's like, slipiller, filler, yes, facelip, And she's like, you keep asking me this every couple of years. You ask me this and I tell you the same thing. Here's the doctor's name, here's the like, here's where, here's the MEDSPA. Like, you can't there's no cream that's going to do it? No, I mean, why can't I.
Speaker 1: Get that through my stupid, stupid, ugly wrinkled head. Okay, I'm going to say something here, and you're not going to like it because you're just because you're just gonna like you're going to go that's not true. But it's because the reason why you're having all this trouble is because you're not at the place where your wrinkles are show enough for you to like every time you see them, be like, oh my god, I'm so wrinkled. So there's just like your your vegan name between Yeah, you're Yes, you're still little, even though you're you're of the age where a lot of people have been begetting botox for twenty years. Your skin looks good. So I think that's why you're a little bit in denial of like, okay, but it doesn't like some days I still have good days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's the eleven. The other stuff is fine. But I have such a prominent eleven that I can see it in every picture.
Speaker 1: And you can get your elevens done pretty cheaply if that's all you want to do. All I want to do. I just can't believe somebody tried to have me. They tried to take All I want to do is zoom a zoom zoom zoom in a boom boom.
Speaker 2: You've said that before to me, and I do feel like sometimes I don't take you seriously when you say that, but you have set you like that is a.
Speaker 1: Through line for you.
Speaker 3: That is something why if you you've worked in retail right, yes, No, I literally just lie.
Speaker 1: Why did I just go, yes, yes I have, I have not because I think I resumed very quickly. My brain did this thing where I was like, I've had every job, Yes I have. I'm sure I have. And then I was like that I took a second to go, actually, no, I've never worked in retail.
Speaker 2: You never worked for like a clothing place. Yeah, no, and you're so lucky. I was so bad at it. I was also fifteen. I had to be dropped off of that job. I didn't have a license.
Speaker 1: Wasn't this didn't you have to bring a clear Yes? It was at the limited.
Speaker 2: They did not trust us, and also we had to wear their clothes.
Speaker 1: So I just bought one outfit.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm not spending all my money that I made like five dollars an hour, I'm not spending it on your weird shirts.
Speaker 1: So I just wore the same I bought. Like.
Speaker 2: They were like, can you get like a cute dress or something to wear to work? I was like no, I was being very Diane Key. I like bought these weird khaki pants and a button down. It was not cute, it was very Dilbert. And that's what I insisted. And then I didn't really wash it very much. That like smelled really bad, right, right? Did you get like one more outfit to wear?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 2: But I also hated lying to people like this is these jeans look good? I'm like, no, I really so you would tell them the truth? No, I would not. You know, I'm a pleaser. I just hated lying. I would lie, but I didn't like it. I was like, oh, no, like you may everyone look so good?
Speaker 1: What see? I would probably just be like, well, yeah, I don't know. I probably I probably would lie as well. But I also but I feel like maybe I would avoid lying, and then just if I got in trouble for not lying, I would just be like, no, I was trying to upsell to something more expensive. Mm hmmm, you know I'd come up with a thing. Well that's kind of our show. I think what I was just that actually just reminded me of something that I was going to tell you. No, we are not at a time. I'm not even a little bit out of time. I'm kidding. I'm joking. I'm looking at it. I see it. I know, I see you, I see you time, I see what you're doing. I was gonna say, but it was so wait retail, lying to people, thinking you might lie to people not working at the limited.
Speaker 2: I was skulking too, imagine this. I was not comfortable in my skin, like really not comfortable. I had a jew fro, I had like bad skin. I mean, I really did not want to talk to people. I was not I did not feel like I was. Yeah, but they hired you. Who knows why. I'm good at the interview. I guess I can put on a little show, but I didn't want to know. I hate that shit.
Speaker 1: When did you decide that you wanted to? Oh, I think you've told I mean, you've told me this before, but like you, did you ever think about doing stand up when you were younger? Not really?
Speaker 2: Weirdly, not really because I loved stand up. I loved like the whole medium. I thought it was amazing and I was But no, I thought I was going to be this very famous actress, right. I thought I was going to be a Broadway star. And then I realized that I really could not sing more dance, and then sing, I can't really. I mean maybe at one there was maybe five years that I could sing, but I when I listen back, it's it's pretty bad. It's pretty cringe. I mean, I want that would be my dream. If I had any dream of being anything, it would be to be able to like sing same amazingly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really like you. I fantasize about it. Yeah, I always wanted to be able to sing, but I can't sing at all. Who would the voice be? Who would the voice be that you would choose if you could have anyone's voice? Let's try. I was going to joke. No, I was going to make a joke for the only jokes I could think of were actually good singers, to which you'd be like, oh, like I was like barbar streisand but then of course she actually was like an amazing scene. I just like want to rule man's raspy like that. I just feel like.
Speaker 2: And I want we'd want to sing in cursive, just automatically without having to try, right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 4: Darn y're all out things round?
Speaker 1: Could you tell me, like your very first time going on stage what your experience was.
Speaker 2: I don't think we have talked about that, and if we have, we don't remember, so fuck it. It was awesome. Well, I'd gone on stage before because I had done a lot of like monologuing. Remember, because I went to the performing arts high school, so I in a way you could call the monologue about suicide stand up.
Speaker 1: I call it that. Never forget that a camp. But like your first time, like at a club, Like at a club, nobody knew it was going to be for sure supportive.
Speaker 2: The first time I did stand up was i'd seen an ad in like the La Weekly at for like an open mic at Nora Cafe in Santa Monica, nor and I.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah I think it was called Nora Cafe, but I could be wrong about that, but I'm almost positive. And I had my I was nineteen ninety seven maybe, and I was pretty fresh to LA and I had my shitty car. And I didn't tell a single person, didn't know a single person doing stand up.
Speaker 1: Was like, brave is pretty brave. I was just like, I'm gonna go brave. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't, didn't go with a friend, didn't just just went down there, found parking. It was a coffee shop, so I was a little bummed. I couldn't get like a beer or something. I was like, okay, all right, I'm caffeinated. Put my I put my number. They drew my number.
Speaker 1: But had you went out in an act? Yes, I'd worked, Yes, I had a stand up act ready to go.
Speaker 2: I'd written jokes by yourself. Yes, you run jokes by yourself one hundred percent. Didn't know comics.
Speaker 1: What was your process? Like? Did you sit and so? I mean you never took a class or read a book about it. You just sat down and were like, okay. Concept.
Speaker 2: From my memory, I had been going to see a lot of stand up. I'd been going to Luna Park and I was really inspired. So I just kept writing down story ideas, so I had I still have all those notebooks actually because I can't throw anything away, So I have the bullet I find them. I have like the bullet points, and sometimes I would just write it all out like all squigly.
Speaker 1: So I go down and do it. It's like seven minutes or something.
Speaker 2: It goes great, like it got a huge response, especially for an open mic of other comics basically and in the audience. Also performing that night was tig It was my first time doing stand up and she was like you, so she befriended me, and she did not believe that I'd never done it, and I was like, I swear to God. And then we were friends. And then she told me, She's like, okay, you got to go here, you got to call this person. She like hooked up the rest and that was it. Then I like started going to the improv and I think, oh, somebody told me about some show at the Comedy Store, and you just all you had to do is show up once in your twenties back then and you just remember, well.
Speaker 1: There was an open mic night. I want to say Monday nights where you could where you could sign up at the Comedy Store. Oh I didn't, or Tuesday nights, that's we're open mic night. You did Peterson's though, right, I never did Peterson's. The Coffee I didn't either, since coffee, No, I think that was a little either past my time or you know what I mean. Like I just wasn't in that group that was like Jane, Edith Wilson, Andy Kendler.
Speaker 2: I think I think maybe yeah, Gary Lucy, Yeah, I think that's where they probably met right doing all that, But I didn't even know she did stand up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for years, totally forgotten that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well now we're just having a car sometimes on board AF we do forget that we're doing a show. I'm like, what about was like, hold on a second, I've got to go talk to my neighbors on hold up, hold up?
Speaker 1: So your first time? What happened your first time? My first time was I had wanted to do it for so long. Okay, I was temping, So I was going to these horrible jobs through Apple One Temp Services, Apple Temps, and I'd be like at a reception job. But I had a roommate. His name was Bruce Chorney. It still is Bruce Jorney. I still am friends with him on Facebook. Super nice guy. He had moved out out here from Pittsburgh and he was good friends with another comedian named Billy Elmer at the time, and he so I told him, I really want to do stand up. I did everything but do stand up. I was friends with comedians, I cocktail waitressed at comedy clubs. I just was so wanting to be a comedian, but I was too scared shitless to try it. So my roommate I gave him. I sat in my living room and I told him all of my concepts for jokes. I was like, you know, when I go to the gym, which was called Bally's health spot. At the time, I was like, when I go to Bally's. They used to have at Bally's a women's section, a men's section, and then a co ed section. And my concept was I'm like, it's just so stupid, Like I don't want to work out in the co ed section because then like they're going to be like, well, why is she here? You know, it's going to seem like I'm like hitting on guys. And so he wrote the punchline, so I just work out on the men's side so people know why I'm here. And then and he did that with all of my concepts. He was an amazing writer. So I would give am i'ld go oh my god, okay, that's funny that I'd be how about this, you know, and then it would just be something else. Oh I had a thing about how oh my god, this is like this is so stupid. But part of the joke about the health club was like, then I'll drive around the parking lot for so long trying to find the very closest spot before I go work out for an hour. And then he was like, yeah, so, but you know what, I came up with a but it's so stupid. Now I just park as far away as I want to and I just take the shuttle. That was the joke. But so I had two minutes two minutes, and then I went and practiced it all the time at all my jobs. I would like go in the bathroom and like I would say it to myself. I would sit in an office. I would just say it over and over and over. And then I went to this club in Westwood called Yesterday's where you could sign up. It was an open mic. You put your name on a list. The first time I went. The first two times I did not get called, so it was like a random like they put all the names in a hat and then they would just call them out. And then I think that the guy had said because I didn't get chosen, so he was like, next week, I'll put you up for sure. And so I had like six rum and cokes in me. I could not get drunk. I was so nervous. I just kept drinking, but I was still very sober. And then I went on stage and I just did my I remember thinking that it was like doing it in a blackout because I wasn't drunk up, but I just felt like I felt like I was in high altitude. I was so nervous. I couldn't look at anybody, but I got laughs I'm not sure, and it was like a drug. And I went, oh my god, I know that was the best thing that's ever happened to me. And then I was off to the races. I did it like every night.
Speaker 2: My first joke that I when I did that open mic, So the first I don't know if it was the first shook I wrote, but the first one that I did on stage was and it's so specific. It's not like a joke that anybody could use. I mean, it was like I was like, is it bad? I just go, is it bad if you see your agent as an extra on Days of Our Lives?
Speaker 1: And it was just a true story.
Speaker 2: And then I told the story about how I saw my commercial agent in the background of a scene on Days of Our Lives and I asked him about it and he's like, oh, guy's got to work, right, So I guess there is kind of a joke there, meaning that I'm not bringing in any money as a as as his talent.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's like a joke would kind of be like, well, he's obviously able to get some people work. But I didn't even think of that.
Speaker 2: I just told the story. I didn't like ever really think about like the you know what I mean. I just told the story and then that got to laugh because I just saw him at the back. And then back then I found I told you, I found all my VHS tapes and I got a contraption that I could transfer my old stand up tapes even like first time. That one I don't have first time, but like the first year. So every little shitty said I used to film, so I now have that on my computer. And I used to have the strongest like back then, my Texas accent was so strong.
Speaker 1: So that's so weird too to see myself at age twenty.
Speaker 2: Seven with the Texas accent doing these jokes, like it's like, who is this person?
Speaker 1: I'm not recognizable? So fun, I mean, those that was such an intense time. I feel like no I would go I would do stand up. I had guts back then, and I would just go up wherever. We would drive an hour to go to some fair where you'd go on after all the regular entertainment and you'd have to just be like it would be and no one would be around. But like the other comedians I did. I remember driving a Fullerton and doing some gig where we literally stood on top of a giant speaker and just shouted our act at people just wherever you just go drive to, like a sports bar, and Pug Penson used to come around come with me. I was a full on open micer when Pug was like, be decided he was my best friend. That's sweet. Though, Then you'd start getting these gigs where you'd make you'd have to drive like a full on, like hour and a half. I did twenty five dollars and he goes with you. Yep, that's nice. Well, sure he had a massive crush on me. He just did not ever tell me because he was scaled. He was a skewed a baby, you do what's skeoed. Yeah, he still is, just scare the little baby still loves you.
Speaker 2: But I think that's kind of sweet actually, because I guess maybe it's all relative, because there's so many guys that don't support you at all. Like at least this guy, at least he thought you were funny. At least he liked the right things about you, and not just some idiot.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I never thought I was funny. I don't recall him telling me I'm funny.
Speaker 2: I told you this, I told you this. I asked him when when we had our thing, when we were dating, I said, can you give me two compliments? Because you would never give me compliments. So I literally emailed that to him. I was like, I'm having a bad day. I need two compliments. And he wrote back, you're something like you're cute. No, he just wrote, you're smart, and you're white hot like meaning like red hot, but.
Speaker 1: No, meaning you're white. You really liked that about.
Speaker 2: Your Caucasian here's what it is, Caucasian, and you're not fat. Congrats. He did not say that. We are not saying that. Stephanie said it. That's not my fault and I cancel me.
Speaker 1: But no, but I was.
Speaker 2: I felt really sad because he didn't say I was funny. Isn't that funny in and of itself? Like I was like, really hurt.
Speaker 1: Well it's because he's shitty, because he's an asshole.
Speaker 2: Well, he wasn't being an a I mean, I asked for two compliments. I can't choose what the compliments are to be fair, but that's what I but.
Speaker 1: It does mean that he was sleeping with a comedian who he probably didn't think was that funny, or who he never saw he was withholding and wouldn't tell you you were funny. Yes, I mean I was dating these you know, and we've definitely talked about this before and read journal entries about it. But I would date these comedians and they were not interested. They were just interested in me telling them they were funny, but they were not interested in watch coming and watching me do a set. They would make me go watch their sets with them, yep, And I would, and I would feel very honored and I would go with like and be like, oh my god, you were so funny and I love this about your set and I love this and this joke. And then they would never offer to come with me, and if they did, they would just be totally quiet afterwards.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes, yes, Or I had the ones that were sometimes they were like that but also jealous. It was fun where it was like he never we never talked about my stuff whatever. And then I got Montreal and he'd been doing it ten more years than I had, and I got just for just for laughs, and he was furious, like fuming. Couldn't even hide it. I just couldn't hide it. And yeah, people say the comics say the darnedest things.
Speaker 1: Comedy man, Dude, you know comedians are not the best people to date, and that's going to be a crazy You could take that you, you can take that advice with you.
Speaker 2: I would say I think number one people to date is musicians because here's why. They don't have any diseases. They're super consistent, they have no addiction issues. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 1: Like musicians, I would say that that's that's for sure. Also probably puppeteers. I would totally date a puppeteer.
Speaker 2: Now, I think, do you want to hear something really terrible that I just realized about myself. I will not go out with someone on like an online dating app if they use the word in any way to describe themselves, like trying to trying.
Speaker 1: To reach their goals.
Speaker 2: If they use the word goals g O A LS in the dating app, I'm out?
Speaker 1: Is that weird? Like, well, why what do you?
Speaker 2: I'll give you an example? Yeah, please do back example. Hold on, let me see if I can call it up. I don't know, just like what a weird place like, Hey, it'll like on Hinge it'll have like an about me section, you know, like they'll describe themselves and they'll be like, I'm just looking for someone who's just like always looking.
Speaker 1: To reach their goals. Would you date that guy? Oh, you would not date that guy? I guess. I just like, what do they mean, Like you're trying to like you're running marathons and trying to beat.
Speaker 2: Your personal time. Like what kind of goal? Any goals? Is weird to say in your dating app? That's like such a business speak. Yeah, I guess so unless they're used to date, unless they're scared because they've dated women or men depending on their inclination, who had like no goal, Like who were just like, Yeah, I just like to you know.
Speaker 1: I don't have any goals. I don't want you know, I don't want anyone looking at my goals. I don't like the word goals. I think it's weird. I just don't. I don't why because you do have goals and because you work so hard. Well, my friend, my friend and I hate my friend had a very funny thing about I think I've told you this, but on Hinge, one of the other things you can do is record yourself.
Speaker 2: There's like a little thing where you can be like, hello, my name is blank, so you can hear the person's voice.
Speaker 1: Which is pretty cool. God, I'd record it like four thousand times that I didn't do, and then I'd erase it and then go, god, I don't sound like that? Do I sound like that? But I think five people listen to it and go, do I really sound like that?
Speaker 2: You kind of wouldn't because you lose the will to live really fast when you're on these apps.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I just didn't even do. I don't use that feature. But sometimes I'll listen to guys, you know, they're them like, oh what does he sound like? And if they're too earnest, like a guy will be like this and he'll have like a really close and he'll be like, some of my green flags are and then I'm just no, immediately, yeah, green flags.
Speaker 1: And it's just very like intentional bachelor speak. We are but you know, do you but do you get like, are there some people Well okay, I just have to tell you one other thing and this is just this is just a personal life thing. Okay, Okay, so like hmm, making sure that I'm not going to like myself in trouble. I just think that a lot of people in general do not have a good sense of humor. They just don't. And it's not that I think like, oh, I'm the funniest person on the planet, but there are certain things that you have to think to yourself, like you have to know I was kidding, Like I can't always go like I'm just kidding, but of course, yes, okay. For instance, this is just a little For instance, a friend of mine at a birthday, I gave them a little flower, and also I gave them a card, and in the card I gave them a dollar. I put a dollar in it, which is I don't to me, that's just like funny. It's not like uproariously hilarious, but it's it's not coded in any way. It's just like it's just kind of funny. So I got a text from her and she was like, oh, thank you so much for celebrating my birthday with me. What was the dollar? What did the dollar mean? Oh my god. But it's not it's not her fault, like she's super nice. And I really had to realize most people don't have a good sense it. Most people don't automatically assume like you're being funny. So then I wrote back, I wrote, she texted that to me. She goes, hey, girl, thanks for celebrating my birthday. What does the dollar mean? And I said, it's just funny and then I said, but it's but not five dollars because you're not worth a whole five And then I had to do a cry a laughing emoji face no, and then she wrote I laughed at me, saying, yeah, you're not worth five dollars. But she did not like, Woul, Didn't you think it's kind of funny if you got a dollar in a birthday car? Of course? But you're a comedian, why don what? And I just noticed because I went to this little function today this morning, that you know what it was. And I was just like making little jokes here and there, and people were just kind of kept looking to my face to see if I would And I know that I'm very deadpan, I know that, but I was being like genuinely like doing it with comedic timing and being funny and people it's never was joking. That's exhausting. So I hated for most guys like that on the dating apps, so are is it really exciting? They're actually funny.
Speaker 2: There was one that just happened, and I feel bad telling you this, but I'll just tell you because like I don't know his name or anything.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. Okay.
Speaker 2: He had done the audio like one of the on the audio thing, you can do a prompt. So one of the prompts was guess this song and his So I played his audio thing and it was just the sound of like a cars going by, and I thought that was kind of funny.
Speaker 1: It was like, oh, that's so absurd. I like it.
Speaker 2: So I wrote to him. I wrote, oh, is it Stairway to Heaven? So Joe right.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, you already have some banter and this just happened.
Speaker 2: He wrote back like, no, no, I just recorded the sound in my street.
Speaker 1: And he's not joking though, like if it's a level of absurdity, yes, but he wasn't.
Speaker 2: He's like, I like to do that sometimes just to hear, like, but it's interesting that you heard Stairway to heave it. I was like, oh, oh no, and not his fault, like super cute and whatever, and was just doing a different thing.
Speaker 1: We all think we all project whatever.
Speaker 2: Our stuff is good and bad on people like we're like, well we're funny, so they're funny.
Speaker 1: We assume that he's coming from a funny place, but like he just wasn't. He was going, I don't know how man, you right, but I don't know how you I don't know how saying was that, Oh that's so cool? Is that stairway to heaven? I don't know how you could possibly not know that that's a joke. There's no way to not know that, you're he's such a genius that he's joking back like no, no, no, good, guess no, because I'm sure of it because most people are not funny, and that's what this is. Maybe he's just a genius.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's so funny that that was the joke, like, oh funny, good, guess no, that was I am.
Speaker 1: But then he would have said something else, had he been being funny back, Yeah, he would have said like actually, he would have gone like are you being serious? Right? Though he would have been like that's obviously the theme from taxi, like yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah. I was so disappointed. I was like, oh, I wish you well, But I didn't write that.
Speaker 1: I just you would have been like, we're not right for each other because that was the theme from Taxi, and like, I thought, like, it's one of my absolute favorite songs.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not asking for much. The tiniest little bit of banter exactly. That could you write for these guys?
Speaker 1: Like that was? It was jarring. I mean, the joke was so easy for me, Like, is it a stairwoid?
Speaker 2: Hev and he's like, no, no, no, actually it's just me recording some cars passing by. Oh okay, so it's not stairway to Heaven, then, Louck, I hope you didn't hear this.
Speaker 1: You never You know what, if he hears this, you are one hundred percent doing him a favor. I know you're seeing him be funnier, be funnier, be funnier. Guy, I don't know. Now, here's a way that you could be funnier.
Speaker 2: We're going to tell you a way that you could try to make yourself funnier. And it also happens to be our sponsor today, and that is Via gummies.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you will be so funny after a via gummy.
Speaker 2: And you need via gummies. We've been talking about them for a long time. They are are personal favorite. They're my personal favorite gummies. If you need help focusing, sleeping, that's what Stephanie uses it for.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, one because I'm sober, so I can't have the THHC. But guess what they make one with just CBD. That is like an amazing, amazing gummy.
Speaker 2: It really is quality ingredients and affordable and I'm going to tell you how you can find it.
Speaker 1: And if you want ones with THHC, they've got all levels of that.
Speaker 2: If you're twenty one or over, check out the link to Via in our description and use the code rose Pricks to receive fifteen percent off free shipping and orders over one hundred dollars. And if you're new to Viya, you get a free gift of your choice. After you purchase, they will ask where you heard about them. Please support our show and tell them we sent you Rose Pricks, sent you enhance your every day with Viya.
Speaker 1: That's Via. Yeah, and you know what, Yeah, we should say hi to our friends, but I wanted to say also, if you're not on our board a.
Speaker 2: F Patreon, and I know a lot of you are, but a lot of you aren't. If I may, yes, you may, well, I may, and I will. You're missing some gold. And I'm not just saying that. Like, we work real hard over there, a lot harder there than we do here. And it's only to get the bonuses. To get a bonus every single week. It's only five dollars a month. Yes, correct, that's like, that's pretty cheap. We know that lots of money goes everywhere and all the apps and all the things, and we totally get that. But if you want to throw a little one more app one more thing, please throw it to us, because we're doing the lord's work over there. We are like our friends here at the ten dollars level. Actually, if you want to do that per month, like David Becker does that, I mean, hello money bags.
Speaker 1: Carolyn Basti, Silvano, Jemetti ooh hello, hello, hello Hello, Andrew Green and call it rock. And Patrick Price my friend, he is the cutest dog. And Julie Turnbull, Oh my gosh, Julie. Hi, I see Julie every week. She's in my writing class.
Speaker 2: Hi, Julie Turnbull. Yeah she's really blake. Yeah, well that's see, and let's tell in Vitreya Blake. Well that is also good at whatever she likes to do. Andrea Crawford, Richard Frolicker, Jean Vajepe, Harrie Maller, Take Us.
Speaker 1: Home, Aaron Johnson Watson, Stephanie Rinker, Jills Shaw, Stephanie's been in my writing class, Athoenig Insured, Sean Price and Kate Donado and then our fabulous twenty dollars level. They get a business shout out every week, like Becky Barris who makes T shirts and mousepads and mugs and you just can go find her at just basic beecky dot com or on Facebook. She's basic Becky.
Speaker 2: Yes, and our friend Randy Mayames, who do you think we should she uses her shout which you guys can do as well for a charity of our choice.
Speaker 1: You know what we should do ASPCA. I love that art. We love our doggies. Our doggies are getting old and we just love them so much, we just like want to just like ooh, Google, I can hug them to death, yes, but not to that, not to that.
Speaker 2: But yes, you can help other dogs, help them find homes, help them get like neutered and spade and all the things that they need to be doing, and get their shots and get well, yes right, it's not just dogs, it's cats, it's pigs.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, all right, guys, we love you, we thank you, we're sorry.
Speaker 2: I'm not sorry, and I honestly you owe me money for saving you fifty dollars for not getting that weird stuff to put on your face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. Okay, bye bye