Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Castle of Horror, the show dedicated to horror movies an awesomeness. This week we have a look at the twenty twenty four Taiwanese horror comedy Dead Talent Society. This is episode four hundred and fifty eight. Bear in mind if you haven't seen today's movie, we're going to be talking about it from the perspective of horror fans who have seen it, So warning spoilers ahead. From Denver, Colorado, I'm your host, Jason Henderson, publisher at castle Bridge Media, home of the Castle of Horror anthology. With me from Austin is Tony Savaggio, lead singer and bassis of the band Deserts of Mars and lead guitars of the band Rise from Fire. Say Hello, Tony Howdy. Also in Austin, Mister Drew Edwards is the writer creator of the long running underground comic Halloween Man, which you can find at Global Comics. He is a Best Writer Ringo nominee, Austin Chronicle Best of Austin Award winner and a member of the Pen America Fellowship. Say Hello, Drew, Hello, Hello. And finally, also in Denver, color commentary from Julia Guzman of Guzman Immigration of Denversity.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, everybody.
Speaker 1: Hello. What is it that the ghost in this always says? What her tagline? It's something like I hate this, I.
Speaker 3: Hate this world, this world, which if I had thought about, I guess I would have said that during the.
Speaker 1: It's so it's so great, it's so on point, it's so not you know, it's not an exaggeration. It's such a fun it's such a funny tagline because it says I hate this. It's such a funny thing for a ghost to say. All right. Dead Talent Society is a twenty twenty four Taiwanese horror comedy film directed and co written by John Hu. Set in a fictional underworld where ghosts can linger in the mortal realm by competing to haunt humans. The film follows the rookie as she embarks on a journey to find her own uniqueness under the tutelage of a passionate agent and a diva who has sort of fallen fallen on hard times, she's losing her luster. The film had its world premiere in June of twenty twenty four at the Type A Film Festival. It was released theatrically on August seventh and Taiwan. We're gonna start with Tony on opening thoughts. Tony, how did you stumble across this movie? By the way, it's on Netflix, so everybody can watch it, But how did you wind up watching it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I saw it at Fantastic Fest and I liked it enough I almost like changed the slot so I can watch it again because I just really, I don't know. It checks all the boxes for me. You know, it's got the kind of behind the scenes underworld stuff that Beatle Juice. It's the first one kind of hints at and the second one takes more of you know, we learn more about it, But that kind of behind the scenes in the underworld aspect of it I really like. Plus, you know, a satire of the entertainment industry, and then also a lot of really kind of touching moments, you know about found family, and you know, it's got the old Hollywood new Hollywood vibe. But yeah, I've been waiting for it. I'm just hoping it comes out. You know, somebody would pick it up and looks, you know, Sony did so that we could all see it. When it hit Netflix, I was like, this is the next movie we have to do you have a waiting excellent?
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well I'm I'm so glad. I just found myself so so touched by this. So thank you very much. Julia. Opening thoughts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a fun movie. It was surprising. I didn't know what to expect. I hadn't looked into it at Also watching it, I was pretty surprised by everything. Like I was, I didn't even know. I knew nothing, so I didn't even know that they were that they were all dead at the beginning. So when you see them on the talk show, you're like, is this somebody that pretends like it? Because I thought they were maybe social media influencers who are pretending to be ghosts, but no, they're actual ghosts. So it's a lot of fun to watch the interactions of these people in the afterlife, and then the social media people and the people who visit the room four fourteen in the who are a lot and how just everybody's just caught up in their own, you know stuff. They'll have their own issues. It's very The characters are really entertaining. It dragged a little bit for me kind of the first half.
Speaker 2: I kind of felt like it went on a little long. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I feel like there was something missing in the first half. But I did enjoy I did enjoy the stories, and I enjoyed the characters.
Speaker 1: A lot wonderful. Thank you very much, and we can we can talk about structure a little bit, Uh Drew, what about you?
Speaker 4: Uh So, Yeah, I went in pretty much blind as well. I guess I was expecting something a little different because Tony had made the comparison the Beetlejuice, and I do get that.
Speaker 3: But I feel like.
Speaker 4: That this movie has a melancholy quality to it that none of Tim films really have, Like they're more, I guess, gleefully macabre, whereas this has like a more sober, you know, contemplative quality about it, which I'm not saying either is right or wrong, by the way, I just I just found the tone to be slightly different.
Speaker 3: Because this is this is asking questions about itself. I really really liked it.
Speaker 4: I think it's a very clever movie, and I think it's a very very good send up of life in.
Speaker 3: The entertainment industry.
Speaker 4: And you know how you can kind of be on top one second, and you know, you could feel like the world is passing you by the next But I also found, you know a lot of the stuff that they do to be interesting, like that, like how the the the ghosts eat the food, like eat the food that's and offered to them like on their birthday, which is very you know, kind of similar to what what you know we have in in Texas and in Mexico with the you know, day of the Dead kind of stuff. But I thought, I thought the way it was used here was was interesting. I kind of wish that there was a few world building questions that they would would have answered, because there were.
Speaker 3: I'll save those thoughts for.
Speaker 4: When it you know, we inevitably get to get to discussing certain aspects of it.
Speaker 3: But there were there are a few things.
Speaker 4: That I I felt like that they could have clarified a bit more. But overall, like a really enjoyable, interesting movie. And you know, thanks thanks for bringing this to us, Tony, because this was this was a fun watch.
Speaker 5: By the way, the eating and the fact that they have a cell phone, like, oh, that cell phone is the only one they burnt for me, there's a whole cottage industry of replica of you know, items that you burn that then will follow you into the afterlife. I love the cars, and like, there's a whole yeah, I mean you can read about it, but but that's the whole thing. You know. She has a cell phone because her parents, you know, did an offering of a cell phone, and all of that stuff is very you know, it's East Asian kind of.
Speaker 1: Isn't it wonderful? Though? I mean interrupted you.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Tony, no, no, but you know, a lot and a lot of the ghost tropes kind of you know follow like like you know, before we're pregaming, and Drew pointed out, like some of the tropes come from Jay Horror, some of them come from some Korean horror movies and stuff, and so they're kind of taking all of that into account in a movie from Taiwan. It's also interesting that, you know, this movie also looks great. There was a time in kind of martial arts movie where movies where Taiwan's action was kind of seen as not maybe as as respected. They're still there's great stuff, but there was a people kind of thought of it as tiered, you know, like, oh, well, you know, really good stuff is Hong Kong and you know whatever, and so but you know, as you can see, Taiwane Cinema is going strong and making cool movies.
Speaker 1: Oh. Absolutely, it's beautiful. It looks it looks really great. I was thinking about the burning of the offerings because you know, some places you'll go, you'll see you'll see the offerings laid out. And I remember in Singapore going to a whole exhibit about this, and so you know, as you said, there's a whole the same way that will buy an Easter basket. You know, you can buy a basket of offerings for your loved one and it'll have a little little paper beer and little paper cigarettes and little beer. And if you think about it, what's wonderful about that is it means you get when you buy the things, when you burn the things, you can remember. You know, what I remember about about this loved one was, you know how much they liked this magazine and how much thing like your cigars, and they liked this particular brand of beer. I remember them specifically, and and I'm sending these things to them. And I don't care if you don't actually believe that. Literally, there's a there's something wonderful and true in the in.
Speaker 5: The practice, in the remembrance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fantastic, isn't it.
Speaker 6: I rewatching Shunkchi the other day and Aquafina's grandma in the movie, she sets uh for the for her husband. She sets out a bunch of stuff and that she said that she put like his favorite alcohol on his grave.
Speaker 2: I guess it was.
Speaker 6: And she goes and the next day it was gone, so.
Speaker 1: Hard, so wonderful. The first thing I wanted to talk about here, and I don't even know if it's the main it's certainly one of the main themes of the film, but it's it's not the one that I see written about as much. But it really touched me. Oh wait, we're still doing our opening thoughts? Did or did we get all the way through them? I? I did? Did? I?
Speaker 2: We were on you?
Speaker 1: So we're on me? Okay? All right? Then good? Thank goodness. So the big lesson. You know, if you're listening to this and for some reason you're listening to this show before actually watching the movie. The main character is a is a girl that will call the Rookie. She is a girl who, we come to find out, spent her whole life chasing goals, none of which she actually managed to accomplish. And she had all these different goals including you know, maybe graduate from college, and she kind of didn't, didn't. She kind of washed out of that, and you know, she couldn't become a musician. And as as she grows up, all the things that she was hoping to do just sort of fell away. And I now, as a ghost, all of those all those problems are haunting her in a sense. As a ghost, she still has things she wants to accomplish, or rather she feels like she'll only be a good person or a real person and if she accomplishes things. And so as I was watching this, I really wanted to just hug this poor girl and just say, look, you don't have to do anything you you know, you're a complete person. Even if that's the.
Speaker 6: Lessons she learns, because that's what she tells the baby at the end.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, it's also compounded by the fact her sister is you know, as good at everything, or at least so she from her eyes. Oh look, you know, everything she does turns the gold and I am you know, losing is her It is her perspective, which is you know, terrible kind of burden. I tell it as well, because I you know, I have a band that's like we're reaching people, but you still like is other people in the scene or like so much further ahead, and you're like, what could I do? What can I change?
Speaker 3: I could?
Speaker 5: I think it's a universal thing for all of us who are creative. It's like, what can I do that that gets me to that that next step or whatever?
Speaker 6: You tell the tell the listener, tell the little listeners to what you were saying before we got on about how the girl died the main carriage.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well, you know, we close to the end, we find out that there was an earth like we we don't know how she died, but there's prominently throughout the movie there there's she keeps coming back to this cabinet full of her sister's trophies, and she has this one basically you know you're doing good like trophies certificate, certificate, her dad certificate. Yeah, and we find out then also she found out that her dad made it like she never actually won anything. But when we find out how she's killed. I kind of noticed it, but Rain put it even better, like, uh, you know something I hadn't thought about since the first time I saw it. You know this past September. He said, Well, she's literally crushed by the expectations of her parents. Now, her parents don't really her parents kind of are okay with her not being that, but she feels like they don't, like there's no way she can compete with her sister.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because her last her last goal crosses out that as not having met It was to be a good daughter.
Speaker 2: Right, She's crushed. Yeah, because in the earthquake, she's.
Speaker 6: Crushed by the by the the shelves that they have the trophies on them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I thought Rain pointed that out, and I was like, that's tough. You know, all of that.
Speaker 4: This is this is when I when I say this movie has kind of a melancholy quality, like this stuff is the stuff that I am referring to, you know, this whole And I have mixed feelings about some of the messaging here, But like I I I do think in terms of a character art, what's done is largely satisfying. And I love the idea of the way the movie ends with a ghost talking to a baby that you know, because it's somebody that's living with a baby. Right now, I am constantly wondering if she sees things that as we don't see as adults because she's like little, she'll look the certain things and she seems like she's reacting to something not there. So like that little bit of her talking to a baby, you know, just was.
Speaker 3: Was delightful for me.
Speaker 5: I did think about you and how you know she's she's there and her at the end, she's there in her niece's life in a way that in a different capacity, and uh, and I thought that, but I was like, oh, yeah, I forgot. I'd forgotten that kind of the ending of that. And I was like, ah, man, I can't wait to talk to you about this because it is it's really touching and fascinating and yeah, you know, but.
Speaker 4: It's also very it's also very bitter sweet too, And that's I think if I were to describe this movie in one word, that's actually the word that I would choose, is that it is very bittersweet, like it's it's you know, like you know everything you know, not just her relationship with her her still living family, but you know, her relationship with you know, the ghosts and the hotel that she becomes part of their crew, and you know, there's this whole you know side plot with you know, the one the one ghosts that's that's that's pining for the the ghost from from Room four fourteen, and you know, it's this unrequited love thing. And then there's also even the relationship between the two Diva ghosts, like they they started out as a mentor mentee relationship, but now it's just gone so far a field of itself and.
Speaker 6: I and there's the heartbreaking like Cocoa thing of being forgotten, you know, and like feeling like you're.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so glad that you said Coco because that is that is something I thought about a lot during this movie.
Speaker 1: You know, can somebody explain all of that? Both yes and here go ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, so she when she first comes into the afterlife and she comes on this stage of like this talent show type of thing where they're like, okay, who's going to show us, you know, if that they deserve to be here. Basically she doesn't have any talents. Like she just is saying, you know, I hate this world and she kind of puts her arms up and that's it. Like there, because it's like also it's like Monsters Inc. Where they have they have to scare people. To be a live people, they have to scare them. And so if you're going to stick around, you're not going to disappear. You need to earn your basically scare card or whatever they called it. Yes, hunting license, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's the worst most people go.
Speaker 6: But so mostly so so so up until the point where nothing where the humans are, the living people aren't moving on past your loss, you're okay. But once they start moving on, you have to now go back and make an impact on living people by haunting them, because otherwise you're going to disappear. And it's like the disappearing thing is kind of there were so many things that I thought of watching the film. The disappearing thing is kind of like Back to the Future where she looks at her hands and they just start like, you know, kind of.
Speaker 1: I don't remember what.
Speaker 6: She's glitching, yeslit right, So anyway, so in order to become solid, at least temporarily, you have to be able to haunt, and so you have to be good. You have to have good talents for that. That's what the that's the whole talent part of the title. And so so when Coco, of course, the deal was in the afterlife, people have to keep remembering you every day of the dead because with a friend, us and whatever, because if they don't remember you, if the living don't remember you, then you will you will disappear from the afterlife. So it's the same thing here. It's like if they've moved on, then you need to go back and be able to affect more people by hunting them.
Speaker 5: But it's it's even like the send up of entertainment is it's not just that you have to haunt people if you need this license. Instead the only people giving out the license, it's it's a popularity contest. You have to basically be you have to be a ghost influencer or our celebrity in order to.
Speaker 6: Get living popular living like you literally have to be getting views with the living right.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's one of the problems. Oh go ahead.
Speaker 4: It is a really clever you know when you think about like what ghost stories are and how like if somebody does have a ghost story surrounding their death, yeah, you know you might be talking about this person fifty sixty, hell even hundreds of years after their death, and you know, so that is a way of being remembered. Well, Beyond your Mortal Coil. What I would have liked to seeing clarify is they have this one sort of like head ghost type figure who also seems to have some kind of power over making people, you know, vanish into ghost. Yeah, yeah, the chair ghost. And I would have liked a little bit more clarification as to how that all worked at some point like that that because I feel like this was a very smart take on ghosts, but that not really being explained, like how there is even a head ghost kind of bugged me.
Speaker 3: But that's that's a mild criticism, mind you, because I think, no.
Speaker 1: No, that makes sense. I think he I think he is basically in another movie, he is basically a judge of the underworld. There's all kinds of judges of the underworld and they are basically they are basically like unto gods, but what they do is dole out justice. And it's but because this is a parody of today's entertainment world, he's he's a like sort of award award major d I mean, I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because because there's also the Judge of the underworld. Uh in the.
Speaker 1: Priest lea yes with his big with his big fly hat, with the big ears and everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, because that's a more traditional what what you'd expect the Judge of the Underworld to look like in Yes culture, but that you know that one where Brisley is in the Underworld, the same same idea just modernized.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: So I didn't mind that there's not a real explanation because, like Jason said, it kind of is that And in the same way that I don't really need, like going back to Beetlejuice in their whole setup, I don't really need to know how the CEO of Underworld there works to me. I mean, I get, I get where you're coming from, Drew totally, but like it didn't really didn't bother me because because like I said, he is you know, Jason said, he's like one of the judges. He's just the modern version of that. So he's the popular chair gase. I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Got what he represented.
Speaker 4: I just want to know how, you know, how this all It just left me one and you know, like it's sometimes showing less is more, but in this instance, it just made me go.
Speaker 5: I guess he got there by climbing the rungs to be the most popular. You know, he is the guy. He's like the Wheeler because his whole deal is wheeler Dealer. Hey, I'm popular.
Speaker 3: Like well, yeah, he's like a like a slick movie producer.
Speaker 6: And he's probably just as susceptible to getting dethroned as the diva is, you know, the diva.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know, I don't I don't think. I mean, now we're talking about on the head of a pin, right, But I don't think chair Ghost is going to be you know, crackled up like that. I think that he's he's something else. I mean, and but but.
Speaker 5: It's interesting that that as opposed to the kind of the fading or whatever we have, since it's such a modern take. Their glitches are video, yes, yeah, the point whether they are like you know, uh, color bar signals when they really fade out. Yeah, I thought that was really that.
Speaker 4: Also, that also to me fit well with the whole concept of you know, urban legends and kind of poking from at the ring and you know, things of that nature. And I do like this whole haunting industry set up, Like they even have their their kind of I would almost call them like anti beauty standards because like they have right, but it's makeup that exists to make you look more grotesque.
Speaker 3: Sure, and like that that to me was a.
Speaker 4: Again like a really good kind of sort of hypocritical beauty standards.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, and the urban legends thing is part of the deal, because the whole thing is that in order to get all the views, it's because they've they've got an urban legend that's still and that people are actually wanting to track down. So at the end and that like the last third or whatever the movie, they have an influencer who's the non believer or whatever, and he's like, I'm going to take on two urban engines at once. I'm going to watch the video that calls in that one ghost chick, and I'm going to go to the hotel and do the what was the challenge that they.
Speaker 1: Called it the Lucky Hotel, Yeah, the Lucky the.
Speaker 2: Right ton of fun.
Speaker 6: Actually the hotel actually has two because it also has the girl in room four or fourteen, But they didn't even talk about that one.
Speaker 5: Well, that's even more slight against Catherine. I know her room is no longer like she haunts a room that we should go back to that. But you know, I also like that a couple of points though too if your listeners, like there is a melancholy element, but it never gets in the way of pure hijinks, Like there's a bunch of like it's also a hinks movie where you like happy music and high steaks.
Speaker 1: And we'll talk about the Yeah.
Speaker 5: But also I also like the hierarchy of the ghost you know, we're talking about our but legends. Like there's the ghost like I laughed when they're interact there at the park, and then there's the toilet ghosts, and their whole thing is you know, these poor these poor people have to haunt the toilet like you know, a house and in the park and all the other ghosts go, oh they smell. And I don't like the toilet ghosts. And also the haunting. I really like the element of like, you know, there's there's a foot thing that's moving like a workout kind of slash, you know, playset kind of thing, and it's just it's built to be real creepy to anybody just sees the movie, but it's just her just kind of hanging out nonchalantly.
Speaker 2: It's like a swing but with like a Nordic trek.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I just thought it was you know, to people as oh, and they build it up. I just there's a lot of clever stuff saying.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I maybe Drew can talk about this because he was talking about it before, but it doesn't matter whoever wants to. One of the interesting things that they do in this is that to enable any of the tricks that the ghosts do, like, for instance, the Jessica I think it is, Yeah, Jessica has this trick where she's she gets closer every time the lights flicker in a hallway, and the commentator is since she does this for the show, the commentator is comment on how this is done the way that one might comment on a on an Olympic event.
Speaker 6: Something just on special effects in movies. Yes, but yeah, because they just have they just have doubles and that are like, you know, popping out of doorways.
Speaker 2: It's super cute.
Speaker 1: And they say this stuff where they go things like yeah, the team has to be moving and lockstep excellent clockwork, team work to accomplish such a complicated like like you know, it was really really neat just to just to see that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was very cute. I like that a lot.
Speaker 5: I just I also like the setup of again going back to the kind of hierarchy I was talking about, where you have the ghosts that hamp the toilets and stuff. There's there's also a hierarchy since it's the entertainment industry. Uh, you know, we have our our talent agency with our former boy band or our idol. Uh. You know, we don't know that at first, but you know, he kind of takes pity on ghosts that aren't going to be as popular and kind of that's his that's the point of his talent agency.
Speaker 6: Because someone took pity on him when he was too good looking, too good looking to be scary.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 5: I really like that kind of setup and and they you know, it goes with the kind of underdog and.
Speaker 1: Everybody loves because at.
Speaker 5: Any point you could become the underdog because you know, for for a long time, Catherine is the like she's the scariest you know, hotel goes, the biggest urban legend everything. And how it's funny too because she's immortal, but she's an old she thought of as old. Right, you stay the same, but you're also aging out of your popularity even even dress old fashioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could be old news basically, even if you're.
Speaker 2: So scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so many ways that this movie sort of keeps folding in on itself as far as metaphor versus what the story is actually about. And then again it's metaphor so that you know, like like we say, ghosts are eternal, right, but there's still a need for novelty, And so you're right, Julia, they send subtle signals that she's old fashioned by having her dress dress more.
Speaker 6: She's dressed like she's from the forties. But you know what, I thought, she was so scary. That was actually the scariest thing in the movie to me is when we we meet her because a person like like like Tony said, we get introduced to this whole idea because a person comes into the hotel room and they hear there's like a weird picture. It's a young woman, you know, and she's clearly an actor. She's there to make a movie or something, so she's part of the entertainment as well. And so she comes in and sees that the place is kind of old and that there's a picture of this woman on the wall, and she calls she's talking to her agent or whoever, and she's like, oh, this room is terrible.
Speaker 2: Why is there picture? This black and white picture on the wall.
Speaker 6: And then she hears this thumping in the in the closet and uh and this when in the closet doors slowly open and you see this person from the back and they're hitting their head against the wall and it's so scary. It's so scary, and like she kind of like starts backing up in this super weird you know that that motion where they have filmed, they've acted, they've done it backwards, but then they've or they've done it forwards, but then they've run it back so it looks super unnatural. And then she does backbend and she like has this terrifying face and it's just so so scary. So that I thought was really effective, but also kind of funny when she does that when you actually finally see her face.
Speaker 2: But so, yeah, that was very scary.
Speaker 6: The others, I mean, yeah, it would be scary to be there in the moment when somebody like falls off the roof or whatever, or they pop, you know, pop up behind you in a video all that.
Speaker 2: But that was the most to be The scariest one was the Girl the original.
Speaker 5: And I also like that they decided that the rookie inner kind of ambiguous two thousand slash almost nineties, you know, like cyclical garb where she's baggy, baggy, you know, denim pants, uh, kind of s sort of leather jet, leatherman jacket. Yes, Like her whole demeanor is like this as not the script as possible. They're like, that won't work, but they come up with she has the dress as a school girl. Yeah, and you know, kick her off a roof is the way that she gets. There's also all that, you know, there's there's also great montages where they're training to you know, because she has. The whole thing is once you start glitching, you have thirty days to get your license or else goodbye, and you have to renew.
Speaker 1: That's fast by the way to disappear into I guess, and to me, it's eternal to be reborn as a new soul. Right. So a lot of.
Speaker 6: People prefer A lot of people probably go, I don't want to haunt people. I want to go onto whatever's.
Speaker 1: Unquote moving on, right, And I was thinking about this about how how interesting it is that even though one thing that the movie is is about is a whole bunch of people who has embraced the ego which is very similar to the ego of show business or I guess of having a podcast. Is the ego of needing to be seen, to be remembered to what have you? Even if the universe is telling you all things have a season, you're going to you're going to dissolve into the cosmos, you know.
Speaker 5: And there's a big difference because she wants to stick around because she wants she feels like she never got to be the good daughter. She cares about her parents. She wants to see her family. Uh, you know, Jessica wants to be the top ghost, like the top Scare and Catherine before that. Whereas the other ghosts that glitch out that don't get their license removed where you know, these guys who were on a mountain, you know, hikers, and they wanted to see you know, one of them is like, no, I want to see my daughter get married if I like like, So they want to stick around for those kind of similar So everybody's got their own thing and and who knows what little Red hiking hood wants.
Speaker 4: YEA.
Speaker 5: Also there when they comment on like oh no, we have to dress that. Like, you know, they dressed up some some of them in the white kind of robe, you know, gown like this this again, you know kind of what what's a trope and what's not. It's also, you know, really really great. It was on with the with the American influencer who's.
Speaker 1: In New York.
Speaker 5: Yes his you know this coming from Taiwan. They still nailed exactly that persona, and I thought that was fantastic.
Speaker 6: I love the guy who's just so the workhorse guy who comes in and he's working and working and he just they're trying to scare him by like messing with his laptop and everything, and he's just like so annoyed but not.
Speaker 1: Going to go to an internet cafe. Fantastic, Drew, you're back. Hello, Well I'll cut this out. But let's see. What have we discussed?
Speaker 4: Was what was discussed while I was gone, so I don't repeat something somebody already.
Speaker 5: I was talking about the ghost hierarchy, like I thought it was interesting that there were the toilet ghosts. And then as I heard I heard that was like the last thing I heard and before and then talk a little bit about the kind of and you know how they had to dress her up as a schoolgirl to make her because their normal persona isn't isn't she's just like this two thousands, nineties looking generic girl. And then uh, you know also her the final thing was, you know, she wants to stick around because she wants to feel close to her family. However, Jessica just wants to be the most popular, and Catherine wanted to be the most popular. But then you have the other ghosts, like the hiking ghosts from Mount Jade, and they wanted to be with their family. So everybody's got their own kind of agenda as far as why they want to stick around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what we covered.
Speaker 3: Yes, I you know, talking about the costuming.
Speaker 4: I liked how they kind of grounded each one of the ghosts in a different time period with how they had them breast, but they didn't necessarily linger on that, you know, like where it.
Speaker 3: Was like the whole that was their whole.
Speaker 4: Bit, like the like Catherine kind of had like a like a nineteen forties kind of quality tour, but they didn't you know, linger on that anymore than you know, oh, she's kind of a movie star type and you know that then the you know kind of her her sort of manager character was a nineties pop star, and he kind of had that look, but it wasn't like, you know, so overwhelming that they had like stuck him in like a I don't know, like a.
Speaker 3: Pearl jam t shirt or something I don't know, like idle.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's really nice because you don't see how you don't think about how nineties he is until you see his karaoke.
Speaker 1: Video and then you're like absolutely.
Speaker 4: Well the fake mustache that he's wearing and his incognito thing kind of also throws a different a different vibe on him, like it would be without the without the mi stash. For some reason, he looks way much more like more like a pop star than then. And I loved that his his deal was he was too handsome to scare people.
Speaker 5: It's a good you know. What's interesting too, is they all have a default that is how they died, how they looked when they died. But they can change costumes, yes, and that's that's.
Speaker 3: There's even ghost costumers because like one of the conventions of.
Speaker 4: This movie is to be a successful you know, a haunter or ghost dress or whatever, you have to have like because they're not like beal Juice, Like like Beetlejuice has all these supernatural powers, you know, like he can he can create things out of air, and he can change his shape and everything. These ghosts to create the illusion of that have to employ like an entire crew of other ghost ghost which really, you know, does feel like you know, like a band or a movie crew or right well, like the whole idea of you know, if you're gonna do something creative, you actually it's actually you're sort of reliant on your collaborators and the the you know. Like the best example of that in this movie is with I'm blanking on her name, but the sort of you know, the Haunted Website ghost like she she gets other ghosts to dress up like her and so that they can look like yeah, like there teleporting down a hallway and I just love that, you know.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite sticks is that she has a crew of Normally you'd have this like so in the Ghost Realm, it's this screw of guys in like black spandex with their face painted black so they blind into black, but they're.
Speaker 7: Invisible to people, so it's kind of like they still have all the tropes, like they're still dressed as Stage ten helper people to blend in with the background, but they will.
Speaker 5: Always like to humans, they'll always blend in with the background. But it's just it was that I really enjoyed because they're they're part of the act. Like how how a crew would work that way?
Speaker 1: So they're like roadies or like crew of the Afterworld? And is that how they have long.
Speaker 5: There's the guy who's the costumer, you know. Yeah, like there's like a support cast for everybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it's it's a it's like you said, it's it's a send up how you know. You know, like if it's a movie, like the movie stars are the ones that get all the credit, but it really takes like a ton of people to make a movie. Or you know, if it's a band, how sometimes there's usually like the one band member that is like the face of the band. But you can't have a band without you know, the other people.
Speaker 3: And I that's interesting.
Speaker 1: That the universe, lets like the universe whoever sets the rules has rules like that that there are people who don't get dissipated into the afterlife because they're needed to run through the Union card.
Speaker 5: Your your card becomes your Union card at that point, right.
Speaker 4: Well, and they they allude that if Catherine goes, they all go, right right, that is alluded to several times.
Speaker 3: Like they are they are dependent and people believing that that hotel is cursed for.
Speaker 4: Them, and that's why they the share ghost wants them to get into these like on these like paranormal shows or like paranormal influencers because it gets more people believing and ghosts, which you know is good for the ghost population as a whole.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, And it's just a lot of really clever things. And you know something else I thought was inter thing if you if you watch a lot of horror, you know from you know, j horror, you know, Korean horror, stuff from Taiwan, stuff from Hong Kong. I thought it was interesting. They really, I mean I hope that it's not essential one, but the woman that casts her friend Camila, like they they did her makeup and made it really flat and everything so that she has a very classic ghost look. And they also have another another common ghost look is you'll see the people with the really red like like round blush, but it's like super red and so there's all these kind of tropes of that. If you've watched enough you know, Asian horror, you're like, oh man, you know, so I thought it was really cool they cast you know, she's great to you. I just like her, you know, there their hangout, you know, just their vibe is really great. I gotta pay for you again. Like it kind of reminded me some martial arts action film. I don't pick it up again. That was am I drawn a plank. You can cut this, Jason, I'll bring it back up. But yeah, cut this. But I just, like I said, I just like their their interaction was, you know, their friendship is really great. And also you know kind of how they developed, like you know, they died in different places, they died at different times, like right, but now they're their buddies and they you know, they ride the buses together, and they did some really clever things with uh with you know, playing with who's a who's a ghost, and who's a human when they're interacting with all of these you know, but they have to take the bus. That's really great. There's she needs to get to the place and she's like, oh, so she gets dragged by a car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, she has to literally cross.
Speaker 6: It's not like, is how bloody? Like the fact that the ghost can be bloody.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that.
Speaker 6: That was because I don't like blunny things, like if you like the whole thing of of you know, a group of ghosts who died different places, but they are now friends than School spirit I know you watch School Spirits, but School Spirits is for you. It's such a great fun show with you know, same like people who died at different times and you don't know sometimes you don't even know who's dead who's not because from the ghost perspective, they all look kind of the same as the people. And so yeah, all of that was fun if you like kind of their interaction.
Speaker 5: There's a movie, uh it's so far. There's I think three of them if I'm not mistaken. Baby Assassins is the name of it. But it's these two assassin girls who hang out live together are basically just you know, typical ne'er do wells who also were assassins, and their interaction kind of reminding me in the kind of side way of the Baby Assassin, which are great.
Speaker 1: We should we should talk about other Asian afterlife movies that would go well with this, Like you mentioned Bruce Lee, which is that is a stupid movie, but it's an excellent movie for this purpose, which is called what was it was it Bruce Lee in Hell or Bruce Lee in the Underworld? I can't remember what that was Called Dragon Lives.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dragon Lives Again is the one you commonly see that one.
Speaker 1: What was really cool about Dragon Lives Again? Even though again dumb movie, all right, but but it gave you a really excellent view of the underworld. Like you know, Bruce Lee dies, the underworld super excited that the very very famous Bruce Lee is coming, and then uh, he is sent back up to the living world for reasons that I don't even remember.
Speaker 5: I know, I like that since there's a Bruce plotation movie. Though, when they get him down there, they go, yeah, you know sometimes when they come down to the underworld they look different, so uh, you know, now and now he'll the friend pop by ANDAs yeah.
Speaker 1: Well that was the other great thing was yeah, it featured Jamescula.
Speaker 5: That's a that's a bonkers movie. I think we did an episode.
Speaker 1: We actually did what was called at the time a kickback episode or something like that, which.
Speaker 2: Was hangout Hangout episode, Yeah, hangout episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was awesome. That was that was really fantastic. Okay, so there's that one. Uh boy there. I can't think of a lot of great underworld stories anyway, anyway, Kung Fu Underworld stories. But if you know, if the listener thinks of any of you, you're welcome. You're welcome to let us know. Gosh. Okay, so what should we hit. We can talk about the We talked about the characters and that this being a showbiz satire. Julia brought up that this is basically also heavily influenced by All about Eve where, you know, because because a big part of the story is is the fear on Kathy's part that she's going to be supplanted by one of her proteges, because one of her proteges.
Speaker 6: It's exactly that I mean with with the with the ghost, the video ghost. You know, she starts out being like, oh, you're just so great and I love you so much, and then it's like she she gets you know, her ego takes over and she does eclipse Kathy. And then so then Kathy is hesitant to bring on another another protegect because She's like, they just keep screwing you. But but you know, her heart goes out to the rookie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she has a lot.
Speaker 4: What was I about to say? This is this is the theme of the episode. We've all been flashy thing. What was I about to say? Because just cut this, if it they'll come back to me. Maybe it will.
Speaker 5: So when you come back to.
Speaker 1: The cut, I can go, Okay, go ahead, Tony. Yeah.
Speaker 5: One thing I like also is, you know, so we have our kind of final bit where you know, the stakes are high, or third act where you have an influencer coming in, you know, like we mentioned to see the two goos. And I also like that they then gave Katherine a really typical kind of martial arts as well, where she's kicking and running and like going under. You know, she becomes a martial arts actress as well, even though that you don't ever get the impression that she was that other than she had to train up to do her back her exorcist back bins and walks and everything. But uh, you know, she's forced to dress up as a schoolgirl and of course, like, no the woman dressed up as a schoolgirl, you know, even even.
Speaker 3: Though she looks she looks thirty if.
Speaker 5: She was exactly, but like, I just really I enjoyed that as well, the kind of high there's there's a you know, heist aspect to it. Yes, uh, you know those sequences will always get me also put.
Speaker 1: On the outfit is. I know it's probably not on purpose, but for me, it was also a callback to like, mommy dearist. When Joan Crawford has the temerity to actually show up on she takes her daughter's role her daughter, and like her daughter's in the hospital like appendicitis or something, so Joan Crawford is like I can play her part on a soap opera and she's Joan freaking Crawford. She's like in her fifties.
Speaker 5: You know, that's just it's just way.
Speaker 1: I guess, I know, I know. Well, the.
Speaker 4: Other thing that that's kind of absurd when they're calling out her age is that she's a ghost. So there of course she's also ageless.
Speaker 1: Right you know.
Speaker 4: Like honestly, I found Catherine to be the most interesting character in this movie, Like I would watch I would watch a whole movie just about her because I like this idea that she's sort of the the you know, was at one point the focal point of this whole haunting industry.
Speaker 3: Like she was the biggest yes caused in this this industry.
Speaker 4: And you know because like when when when you know, when the movie first got started, I did find myself wishing that we could go back and see more of the relationship of her and Jessica before it all went wrong, because you know, there is this truth in this that you know, and I've seen this happen, is that, you know, women in the entertainment industry are often pitted against each other, and you know, that's just the way it is, you know, and instead of being able to lift each other up, you know, they're they're they're they're kind of twisted up against each other in a way that they can't actually be supportive. You know what what I love is by the end of the end of this, you know, Catherine is showing support to the rookie in her way. I mean, she's never completely ceases to have that bit of movie star ego, like she you know, when she's giving her a compliment, she says, well, you're the second best ghostress, and which is great, it's perfectly in character. But at least she she's learned a little bit of something. You know, she's learned to be supportive and and in a way, you know, her taking on you know, the rookies role, you know, like to me is almost was almost a subversion of mommy, dearist because you know she's doing it because she kind of at least the way I took it is that she she was trying to save the rookie for more anxiety because you know the scene directly before that, you know, she goes on the talk show with Jessica and Jessica makes a full out of her, and that that, you know, to me it was it was trying to show that she had actually grown a sense of empathy.
Speaker 1: But you know, who knows who knows it's good.
Speaker 5: I also like the actress who plays the rookie is really great. Her comedic timing is really great.
Speaker 6: Her comedic timing, but also it's arranged because you know, when when you're when she's sad, you're like heartbreaks for her. And then when she's being when she's doing the thing with the where they put her in the you know, in the in the school girl like the doll outfit and she's doing her big the big eyes and the grin, you know, like Kathy tells her just just look, just keep just keep grinning and and don't say anything.
Speaker 2: She looks like a completely different human being. I was just like, wow, this is really so it was interesting.
Speaker 5: And that whole bit where she's like, no, no, your nose, like make them look like, make it look like.
Speaker 2: You don't care and all su yeah.
Speaker 5: All that, all those bits, she's really good at that. Like I was, really I'm really impressed. I mean, the whole cast is great, but each person is like really honed in on perfect roles there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, Uh, we should probably get our final thoughts and you're free to to go in any direction you want if there's something that that you feel that we didn't hit on. But I mean, this movie really needs to be seen, like if I I can't. In my mind, I'm thinking inevitably there may well be an American remake of this. But but you can see this on on Netflix right now, so.
Speaker 3: It's not it's not hard to find.
Speaker 4: If if you are feeling, you know, adventurous enough about watching an international film that you have to read Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I although I will. It was kind of funny because it was showed up front page when it was first release, and then we went to go watch it. You kind of had to dig a little bit more than I thought, and I was kind of disappointed in that. I again, I was really lucky to know. That's part of the magic of Fantastic Fests And why I like covering it for for the show is to you know, be able to go, hey, watch for this movie. You know, there's a lot of great stuff that gets shown and some of it gets picked up and some of it doesn't. So when I saw this, I'm just so happy that I can finally share it, and I hope more people share it because I think it's got It's got a you know, it's the funny parts are really funny, and the heartbreaking parts just full of like oh no, you know, you feel for for everyone, and the satire is just spot on for the entertainment industry. It's also shows that the entertainment industry, uh, the film industry is not so different no matter where you are, right like, once you reach a certain level, all of the same kind of things happen, you know. And also it's got the flavor because of the way Catherine's character is it's got an old Hollywood new Hollywood feel as well it's from Taiwan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well soon, thank you very much, Uh, Julia, I mean, what what what else have we not mentioned that might be worth bringing to people's attention? Can just give us your final.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, we didn't really talk about how it ends, how the story ends.
Speaker 2: I didn't love the ending.
Speaker 6: I don't love the because I don't like the bloody stuff and I don't like I didn't love that. I thought it was kind of a little bit silly. The way they wrapped it up with the group just kind of being like chasing this.
Speaker 1: I thought that was cute.
Speaker 6: I thought it was okay, it was It's not my favorite part I love. I did love though, the very the little button ending where she's talking to the baby, niece or nephew, whatever it is, that was super cute. She's like, you don't have to be anything, just to be whatever whoever you want to be.
Speaker 2: That was cute.
Speaker 6: So but but no, I think it's Yeah. I think it's really a fun, fun and creative project. I don't I've never seen anything quite like this, So, you know, it has pieces of other things like it has like I said, monsters Ink a little bit, and Coco a little bit, and various ghosts, lots of ghost store you know, ghost movies and some some comedies and not some heartbreaking parts. But so it has a lot of neat things going for it and I enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: Well the ending part also where it's they didn't technically win, but then they end up causing a big that influence was part of an appeasement ceremony, so like an exorcism ceremony, and that brings you know, national and international attention to ghosts, and so yeah, without that kind of cultural touch point, it's you know, it's a big deal. Like I kind of get where you're coming from, but also like that's you know, hey, look what you did caused a net benefit for all ghosts rather than you just win it. And did you watch the post credits?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I told everybody to watch the post credits.
Speaker 1: I just can't remember what was I watched, but I watched it.
Speaker 5: No, you've got to go back, Jason Philia. Then.
Speaker 4: But the other thing about them, you know, chasing the people down, I think there was even though it does give them a sort of victory, even before that, you know, it's talking about doing something just for the joy of it, you know, which is you know, kind of the getting back to the celebration of the creative spirit, which is often lost when we, you know, when we get competitive with other people in the same field as us. And you know, so I think there is a purpose there, you know. And and as Tony says, when one of us wins, we all win. So I I I liked I liked banding myself as well.
Speaker 1: So I loved the ending. I thought it was really sweet, and it reminded me of a lot of movies, you know, especially with with a sort of group of misfits who finally have you know, a big fun event, even if it won't really won't necessarily amount to much, won't necessarily pay off in any particular way. You know, it's not going to keep them from from slipping into I mean, you know, it does work out for them pretty well here. But the whole lesson of the film is supposed to come back to us as people as mortals, which is, you know, it's it's the journey and if if you don't accomplish the things you wanted to accomplish, really it's it's okay. You're you're you're fine. I do want to bring to your attention something that that John Shu said in an interview with a words Watch where he said, uh, he goes. He said that making the movie was like therapy. And he said because everybody had been from different situations, some of them have been seen and some of them have never really been seen, and then some had had fame and then lost it. And he said it was like group therapy to deal with these characters. And he says, I think after I finished the script, I found how I should deal with that, and I'm actually thinking about not being a director for a while. And I thought, what an interesting, what a what a wonderful observation that that you know, to him, this was really about people grappling with what they're supposed to be doing in the world, exactly exactly on its face, what the rookie is dealing. So, as I said, I watching it, I spent the whole time just really wanting to wanting to comfort this poor child who felt like she wasn't measuring up to whatever it was that was expected of her. I I have to say, once I was in a I was in a therapy session myself and a therapist said to me, you have to you have to grapple with the question of whether you are a human doing or a human being, meaning are you does your isness come from accomplishing things? And I was like, what the fuck are you talking about? Of course my isness comes from accomplishing things. What do you mean? What the fuck is a human being? I was even mad that you would not even ask the question, like I'm in the middle of a program here, like what would And but I've continued to grapple with it. And I saw this movie Grappling with It, and that was pretty wonderful.
Speaker 4: Of complicated or complicated feelings towards the messaging around some of this thought.
Speaker 3: But you know, like I do think.
Speaker 4: It's it's saying something that's probably necessary. But I also feel like, perhaps we also shouldn't judge people for being ambitious either. Well, so I you know, but you know, also it should it should be okay to be unambitious, so you know, like, you know, the world needs both types of people after all.
Speaker 5: But I understand where you're coming from. But I didn't take it as an indictment of being unambitious, even though she says, hey, you don't have to do that. But I think we all from time to time. I mean, we're artists, like, you know, we need to hustle, right, so so having somebody tell us not to hustle is kind of an affront. But also sometimes we need to tell our selves, like every single waking moment can't be the hustle, or else we lose ourselves. Like and so I get where you're coming from, Drew, because I'm the same way, like I said before, Like there's I'm having to deal with a bunch of stuff. We're potentially losing momentum, and and like what do I do? There's no fault on my own, you know, stuff coming up, and like it's frustrating, and it's like and then you know, I know a bunch of bands and they're friends, like and it's not an envy thing, it's not a jealousy thing. But I'm like, oh, man, I have friends who are like killing it touring Europe right now, and I want that for them, Like I think it's awesome, but I'm but you can't help sometimes but to go, man, what how what can I do?
Speaker 1: What am I doing?
Speaker 5: I would like that or I would like to sell more copies of a thing or sell more shirts or you know, whatever you're doing. But I think in general the point is, you know that you sometimes have to allow yourself to Like her whole life was based on I have to be this thing, but her parents didn't care that she was not that, even though she thought that was it, because she's comparing herself to her sister and that seemed to be like, well, my parents care more about her, even though that's not true. So I totally do get where you're coming from. An ambition shouldn't be, you know, seen as if you're doing it altruistically and.
Speaker 4: Not you know, but yeah, I mean, obviously, the the kind of ambition that ultimately we see Jessica have is not the kind of ambition that should be lauded because she steps on she steps on the people you know that helped her.
Speaker 3: And she is not a very nice ghost.
Speaker 1: She's a classic you know, heel basically, you know, and yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 5: To the point where she takes the other guys to have a good stick going, which is why she liked them and vouts for them and said, no, no, you're cool, but you'd be cooler if you were me. Oh man, that's that's you know, that's a lot of you go. But I, you know, I do get where you're coming from. I guess I didn't see that message in it in the same way.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, and I might had I not watched it for the show, I might not have thought that analytically about it. As I've been saying, when I watch movies for the show, I watch it differently than how I watch it when I'm watching something just for my enjoyment, because I start thinking about, like, well, what I'm actually gonna have to talk about.
Speaker 3: This, and you know, like, so how do I how do I dissect this?
Speaker 4: And you know, because I guarantee you if I had just stumbled across this on Netflix and watched it on a whim, I probably wouldn't have thought as it quite as deeply.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's true, because this is such a thoughtful, I mean, as goofy as it can be, and all of the all of the wonderful capers they're trying to pull off a good scare and all that stuff. As much as that happens, this movie really does hit hard on these questions of what happens if I'm forgotten what happens. If I don't live up to what I thought I should, you know what happens to me next, and you can't avoid it. It's not it's not below the surface. It's what the movie's about.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, you're right, it's not subtext. It's text. But was this supposed to be my final thoughts?
Speaker 1: Damn? It could be? Yes, but I don't I watch this.
Speaker 3: I will just wrap this up in a bow and say, watch this movie on Netflix.
Speaker 4: It's yes, it's worth your time. Read the subtitles, mooks. Yeah, like I said, okay, and stay for the after credits?
Speaker 1: Is there is there a dubbed version? Like I wonder?
Speaker 5: It did not?
Speaker 4: It did not offer a version, so like there there's different subtitles, but I don't believe there was a dub So.
Speaker 1: Here's the terrible thing for a lot of movies. If I'm like working in the daytime, I'll play movies on the screen, so it has to be in a language I understand, or you can play dumbs.
Speaker 4: So you know, I like reading subtitles when I'm sleepy because if I if I, if I watch a movie that's subtitled like late at Night or something, and I don't want to fall asleep. It inevitably will make me fall asleep because it makes my eyes tired, like saying thing as if I was reading a book.
Speaker 3: By by flashlight or something. So you know, like I that obviously wasn't a problem because I watched this.
Speaker 5: In the middle of the day.
Speaker 8: But you know, and my my only challenge today was was pausing it when my baby decided she felt like singing, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree with you. But then also I remember I watched it. I think, I think this is like a midnight movie at Fantastic Quest, so I go back and forth. Also, by the way that the credits thing drew since you get it, if you can imagine people wondering when they should file out, was awesome, great because of it works like that was a really that is a good it's a good gag.
Speaker 1: It was a very good gag.
Speaker 5: Because you're like everybody's like because also you know, you want me to get it. It was late actually when I saw it, so you didn't have to get to the next movie, but everybody in the theater, so that that was a nice That was also a nice communal experience and kind of why I enjoy theater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trulia, Well did Julia, did you do your final thought? I can't remember? Because okay, all right, well then I have already spoken at length on why I thought this was beautiful, so I have nothing else to add. I will I will let Drew in Tony's words linger in the air, as as the final ring on the final thoughts. So, okay, endorsements, I want to hear what you guys have for us, because the funny thing is this movie, Tony, was probably your first endorsement. You were like, hey, let's watch this, and we did. There was and we seem to never go wrong that way. So Tony, what do you got for us now? Like, what's your what's your endorsement?
Speaker 5: A couple of things, Well, in general, I can't if I talked about the band Savage Master last week, but they have a new album out and that's really cool. And I've known the drummer for years and years and years their drummer who now is their live drummer as they tour all over the place, and so that was kind of fascinating when I found out he was their drummer. But they have a great stick. Their lead singer, she she's like super occult, you know, witchy licking, you know, vampy. And then the other guys have executioner hoods and they play and like they sometimes they're chained to the to the to her the drum riser or like they Savage Master has a really good stick and it's really cool music. Also saw Depth of Unicorn, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Uh you know, it doesn't do a lot that you don't see in the trail, but that's really good. Like, I really enjoyed it. It was exactly the movie I wanted to see as purported and you know, Julie Paul Rudd, and it's not as gross as it as I've heard, so so it's not you know, if you see it, it's it's I don't think it's grosser than this movie, if I remember. I mean, I'm on sliding scale, So don't help me do that, Julia. But you know, I thought it was really solid, really fun movie. You know, not to get a sood box. But you know, when you're talking through something you said resonated with me because I think I was telling some a couple of people kind of about you know, you're talking about what we affect and what we leat behind and all that, and it just made me think about kind of I told people a couple of times my ethos are, I don't know what if there's like an afterlife for sure, you know, but it doesn't matter because to me, when I go to create, when I go to interact with people, when I I can only control myself and I can only like the things we leave behind. Like and it's kind of made me think about this movie when you were mentioned in your final thoughts, like those ripples we leave behind are all we can guarantee that we have, you know, regardless of our beliefs, Like what we can guarantee is leaving the world behind is possibly a little bit better. And then your immortality as you fade, Like so maybe sometimes like if you don't you know, we we have like maybe we have this podcast maybe that's left behind, or some of our music or whatever we create, whatever we do, those things might stay. But also those memories that you leave and you might fade when the last person who speaks your name speaks your name, right, but you can what we can all hope for is that we have a lot of like long past. When we're gone, people go, ah, man, Remember that party, Remember that show, Remember that interaction. Remember when that person I don't know bought me a cinnamon roll or a cup of coffee or whatever, and those things like, ah, I remember that that's we leave behind. And you know, that's that's been a thing that's been my kind of how I view the world is like I hope that I can leave behind those things because that's as that's the only permanence that that I think us as individuals can control. But I I and I bring that up only because that that was on my mind. I was telling talking to somebody about it last night and then you know, you kind of brought up the how we interact with people, how how those things fade and you know, again, I hope that's not too preachy for my final thoughts, but it just but Jerry, again, when you brought up that, that resonated with me, and like just the way that I think of things and the way that we can hope that you know, that's what that's what we got. That's all I got.
Speaker 1: Really, you know, yeah, excellent, thank you. Uh, Julia, did you have any endorsements for us? Yeah?
Speaker 6: The The Residence on Netflix, which is a shondaland who done it?
Speaker 2: Mystery so good.
Speaker 6: It's it's curricule Piro but with in shondaland really really fun entertaining for I thought I had it and then I didn't. But it wasn't like unsatisfying either, so I enjoyed a lot. It was really really good little limited series.
Speaker 1: Not to be confused with Residentsia, the Spanish horror movie, which is really awesome.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody was going to confuse it.
Speaker 1: The moment I saw the residence, I literally was like, well, is this a remake of the house that screened?
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't think most people are going to confuse.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to your original point that most people, yeah, okay, fair Uh Drew, what about you?
Speaker 4: I have been listening to a lot of audio dramas and I actually, you know, it's it's this is one that I put off listening to because it's it's a marvel audio drama. And when I was first advertised, even though I liked some of the creatives, both you know, the voice cast, but also the you know, some of the people involved behind the scenes, you know, I didn't really ever consider giving this a listen because it's so it's called Marvel's.
Speaker 3: Wastelanders, and it's loosely based off.
Speaker 4: Of the Old Man Logan comic book series, which I'm not gonna belabor too much of a point, but I did not particularly care for.
Speaker 3: So when I heard about.
Speaker 4: The audio drama, I didn't really give it a chance because you know that I heard it was based off of that storyline. But you know, in my hunger to keep finding podcasts and audio dramas and things to listen to, I I was like, well, you know, like, I guess I'm going to give this a chance, and I really ended up enjoying its.
Speaker 1: Like ten episodes, I'm just looking this up.
Speaker 4: Bus there's more than ten episodes because it's a series of interlocking So there's like the initial one which is about Wolverine, but then they have ones that's the one that's about star Lord. You know, they have one that's about Black Widow, my personal favorite, which was the one that's about Doctor Doom, and then you know, they they bring them all together in sort of Avengers type storyline at the very end, and it's the series is written by Mark Wade, which who is one of my favorite comic book writers, and you know, his Maybe it's just a difference in tone between him and Mark Miller, who was the writer of the original Old Man Logan comic comic book series. But this didn't really have this sort of you know, ridiculous quality to it that that did, but it had more of like a genuine love of the Marvel universe. So I really like particularly the stuff that dealt with because Mark Wade wrote a really great run on Fantastic Four, so particularly like the Doctor Doom stuff was just really really well done. But aside from that, like they hire hired actors who you could see playing these characters in live action, Like for example, Susan Sarandon is the voice of Black Widow, and they have Robert Patrick is the voice of Wolverine, and you know those are you know, actors that I could have seen playing the you know, back on their heyday, I could have seen playing those characters in live action. So it's like interesting, you know, seeing them sort of playing these characters, but their elderly versions of these Marvel comic book characters.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest.
Speaker 4: Surprise was Dylan lan Baker as the older at the end of his rope Doctor Doom, and you know, the Doctor Doom series. Actually Valeria Richards gets gets Doctor Doom drunk and plays Mary fuck Kill with him and he always.
Speaker 3: Chooses kill, which was hilarious.
Speaker 4: And totally a Doctor Doom move. But uh yeah, I really enjoyed the heck out of it. I was actually found myself kind of sad that there wasn't more of it when when it was over. But I listened to it over the course of a few twelve hour days that I was pulling over the over the last weekend, and you know, I'm meeting needing something to listen to it it it uh you know, it definitely helped the time go by.
Speaker 3: But you know, very very well acted, well written, great sound effects, and again just like a general kind of love for Marvel Comics lore that I found enjoyable.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. Well all right, I think Julia will probably want to when I did that. That sounds like fun. I will. I'll listen to it too, just to see if Sophia Strange pops up, because she was actually in the Wastelanders comic.
Speaker 4: Oh really yeah, well, I ners I can tell this is very much other than the general can see that all the supervillains teamed up and cause like kind of a post apocalyptic I think I think this go I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think this skews very closely to the comics, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, and there's a bunch of episodes, so this sounds.
Speaker 4: That sounds The guy that plays the guy that plays star Lord like the elderly Peter Quill.
Speaker 3: Plays him as kind of like Peter Fonda, which I thought was hilarious appropriate. So yeah, it's it's a good time.
Speaker 1: That sounds. That sounds great. Well, thank you for sharing that. Gosh, I I didn't prepare a recommendation, so I will recommend as a which is not to be confused with The Residents. It is a nineteen sixty nine mystery murder mystery that takes place in an all girls' school. Except for that it's way more slashery and and the payoff is far far goofyre. But Tony, we also did a kickback episode about about as a hangout episode. Yes, so we haven't done that in them and so long that I've forgotten what we call them.
Speaker 5: But I mean the whole point was, hey, we're not doing much else, let's let's.
Speaker 1: Keep let's have an extra episode.
Speaker 5: Let's you an extra episode. Let's just we literally hang out, because let's keep our minds, you know, not dwelling on terrible minds.
Speaker 1: That was the middle of COVID. Actually it was the start of COVID and boy what time that was. Yeah, but a lot of it. Nc I came out in nineteen sixty nine. I just want to make a note real quick of who the director was.
Speaker 2: Well, the residence is the residence of the White House, so not not girls.
Speaker 1: This was directed by Narcisso Serrador and and it is great if you like slightly sexy Spanish slashers of the late sixties, this is another one. And it's a good one.
Speaker 6: Okay, don't you love that there are actually people in in Spanish, in Spanish speaking countries that are named narciso, Narciso narcissis.
Speaker 2: Does that set you up? Does that set you up to be like a narcissist?
Speaker 1: I think it gives you room to run, is what it does. Like, like, hey, what do you expect? Right, oh, narsisso, Yes, it's.
Speaker 2: Just Narcisso you just got to save your complex.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, everybody, thank you very much. This was This was a lot of fun. I mean, I love talking talking about the Dead Talent Society. A movie I was not prepared for at all. This is really cool.
Speaker 5: So hey, I like it. I'm always afraid, you know, like, did did I see something the best? And was it because I saw it the best that I really enjoy it so much? You know, because there's a certain charm in the uniqueness of that event.
Speaker 3: Well, I would, I would tell you.
Speaker 4: If I am not squeamish about saying when I don't like something, Tony, if I did, even if this was like a sacred cow of yours, if I if I didn't like it, I would have turned it into a cheeseburger.
Speaker 1: Like. So Tony comes loaded with already an understanding of all of our like he knows like what's liable to be a movie that I will like or you will like or Julius.
Speaker 4: At this point, I would gamble to say it this point, we we all know each other's cinematic cinematic case.
Speaker 1: Pretty yeah, Like I think after ten or eleven years, you're bound to right more than.
Speaker 3: Has how many years has this spen?
Speaker 1: There's something like fourteen, I guess.
Speaker 3: Oh my lord, oh my gosh. So we have been doing this longer than I've been married. Yeah, yeah, Holy moly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But there are some movies like this where I'm kind of like riding home, kind of metaphorically jumping up and down my seat, going ah, yes, this is the like, this is the one, Like somebody released this because not only should we cover it here, but I want I want our listeners to also preach the word of this movie, you know, And this was one of those, like coming out with Peter going scot Somebody's got to pick this up.
Speaker 1: That's really great.
Speaker 5: Happy everybody enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Awesome? All right, Well, everyone be kind to one another and make sure that you let everybody know that it's important that they're a human being and not a human doing. And we will. We will talk to you, We will talk to your hate.
Speaker 2: This world.
Speaker 5: Far better yet all we put by Red Hiking Hood.
Speaker 1: All right, Audios