Speaker 1: You see somethings going to happen.
Speaker 2: What, What's gonna happen?
Speaker 3: On What?
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Occult Rejects. This episode, we got a bunch of rejects here with us, and we got two very very special guests, both returning.
Speaker 2: One we just had on.
Speaker 1: We had I Caker on recently in a while ago for the Goatia. We had Jamie poul Lamb on Keep It Real. He was one of the few guests that actually made me feel completely ignorant on my own show. The guy was talking about the Goistia and tying it told this stuff, and I was just sitting there like, but it was an amazing stuff, and I was really happy to get him on again. And I was like, you know what, I gotta get Jamie on again. And then I remember, wait, him and ke are actually pretty you know, they're close. I was like, I got to get them both on maybe.
Speaker 2: And I asked Iiken.
Speaker 1: He was totally down for it, so very very excited to have them both here. But before they introduced themselves, I'll have a headless let everybody know what's up with him and where they can find all his work.
Speaker 4: Well, you're muted this sir, Yeah, muted, how you doing, everybody, I'm the Headless Giant. You can find me on Twitter and YouTube at the Headless Giant. If you have any sort of strange occult experiences, send them to the mail bag at Headless Giant podcast at gmail dot com and we will read those on Thursdays. I also have an Alchemy show on Mondays and seven seven seven Alistair Croley's Kabala on Tuesdays and on Sundays, I've got the Trialogues with Ethan and Ricardo, so check those out.
Speaker 1: Thank you, oh, thank you, sir, and we got gin what is going on?
Speaker 5: What is a boss? Mister ninety three? So I'm Jina Ninja. I I have a show called Threshold Saints, which I call serial Experiments and speculative ontology, so it's about the metaphysics of reality obviously. Yes, I use a lot of kabala and special special shout out to Ike for hooking me up with that contact. I really appreciate that was major for me, so thank you so much. Ike, and of course Jamie, I've shouted you out many times on the show and my show just for kind of blowing me away and humbling me in a big way as the I often call myself the rising hodelike Prince of Kabala.
Speaker 2: You made me feel.
Speaker 5: Much more a student that I should have probably approached it as. So thank you so much for that. And if you want to check me out, check me out at Threshold Saints at Threshold Saints on I G and X, or my personal account at wucom, Reborn to a Uko and G Reborn Threshold Saints dot substack dot com, as well as the True Gray Lodge dot com. And of course Matt Mura is our webmaster for that as well as runs our YouTube channel, so that is our group show and I'm dropping in an episode with Greg k today in the Hour of Saturn, so watch out for that. Thank you so much, guys, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you for jumping on. I appreciate it, sir. And we got the branch.
Speaker 6: What is going on any guys.
Speaker 7: It's a pleasure to be here. So that Shalom and.
Speaker 8: I do spaces with Jen and Matt usually every Friday on x Twitter, So if you guys want to catch us on there and interact, that's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: We've been doing that for weeks now.
Speaker 8: Matt then uploads a lot of those episodes to YouTube to check out The Gray Lodge on YouTube if you want to check out our catalog of our spaces, and of course Threshold Saints.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: It's a great show and there's been some recent releases.
Speaker 8: Like you said, so check it out. I really like it too because you can drive while you're listening to Spotify, you know. So anyway, thanks for being here with me, and I appreciate the invite.
Speaker 1: Of course, no, glad you could make it. And we got Matt Moore. What is going on, sir, glad you here.
Speaker 9: Happy to be here again. So Matt Mura you can find me always as at Matt Mora nineteen. That's on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, maybe some other places I don't know. And there's also my website that's Cabala dot com k A A B A l a h dot com. A lot of cool stuff there. I'm doing tart readings now because I'm working on a cool little project. So I mean I always did them, but now I'm more focused on them. So if you're interested being a beta tester, just let me know the m me in any of these platforms.
Speaker 6: And yeah, very nice way to start the year.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right, and I guess, and thank you mad for jumping on. I know it's where are you right now? Well, you're in Brazil at this point, right, yeah, in Brazil now as you're starting a cult out there or something or what?
Speaker 2: Uh not?
Speaker 6: I mean not saying it publicly? What do you mean.
Speaker 9: If I if I would start one, I wouldn't say it publicly?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: All right, I guess as guess wise how I started off with the Ike first? Hei, Please sir, let everybody know. For the new listeners or people just never didn't hear the other episode yet, please let them know who you are. What's up?
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for having me on. This was great. I was really excited when you asked me to talk with Jamie. It's been a minute and it's always just so much fun to chat with both of you. Actually, everybody here. I had a really good time last time we were on.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm Ike Baker, I guess first and foremost, I would have to say that I've I'm an author. I wrote Etheric Magic and a Formless Fire. I have a book coming out this year with Inner Traditions called Esoteric Mythology. I host the Arcanum podcast and YouTube channel. I have scholars, practitioners, lots of people on the pod. It just entered its third year, so check me out there. I also do a documentary style presentations on esotericism, the occult, loss of e, et cetera. And my background is uh Masonic historian, temple chief and adept of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn under the Ciceros, and Martinism a bunch of other fun stuff, but yeah, just a general, a general real enthusiasm for occult is a mesotericism primarily magic.
Speaker 1: Very nice, Thank you very much, Sake. I appreciate having you back on Andy. Last, but not least, Jamie, please let everybody know what your deal is when they can find all your amazing work.
Speaker 6: My name is Jamie Paul Lamb. I think I've got a delay, Like when I look at my picture, it's like I go like this and then it's like five minutes or no, it's like a three. I don't know. It's just is my voice matching my no?
Speaker 1: But you answered pretty quick, so obviously the audio Oh okay, the audio sounds good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, anyway, Jamie Paul Lamb. My website is j A I M E. P A U L L A m B dot com and I'm an astrologer. I'm a freemason. I'm in some other orders and groups of Golden Dawn Order and a Rosicrucian Order, and and I just had a book come out on inner traditions called the Astrological Goesha seventy two Keys to Angelic and Demonic Astrology that came out, and I want to say August of twenty five, so you can get it now. And yeah, basically, I'd like to direct people to my website. I've got all sorts of offerings on there and a blog that I need to do better about keeping up to date, and I plan on writing some more stuff in the future. But I want to say it's a pleasure to be bad, Nick, thanks so much for asking me. I always a pleasure, everybody else. Great to see you again or to meet you this time, and uh, really looking forward to this conversation.
Speaker 1: No, definitely, it was a blast having you all last time. I actually felt so bad. I felt like I really didn't have much to say because you blew my mind and I really just was like I didn't know what to say to this. I think kind of felt like.
Speaker 6: That's what you're saying that and Jin said that, and now I'm feeling bad, Like I came on and I was like, you know, I had to be a jerk or something.
Speaker 2: You did.
Speaker 1: You did exactly what I wish my guests would do more.
Speaker 2: So thank you.
Speaker 5: It just I think it kind of blew our minds, Jamie, Like how it's you've You've basically I told this to live so it's no surprise to anyone here. But I mean you pioneered, like this was great work that you've like basically you know, put into the public sphere. So it's kind of incredible and is if you're a magician or I think you are, you look at it in awe.
Speaker 2: So I think that's what it was.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate that absolutely. I would not have written. I would not have written a single word if I hadn't read some of your books first.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I mean that's actually what got us in touch, if you remember. So I was just so blown, blown, completely blown away. But yeah, and your work is getting better every day, man, every release is uh, you know, developing that style and that that way to communicate stuff like a good teacher.
Speaker 6: Oh you're making me blush.
Speaker 1: Well good, you got to do Yeah, you can't tell exactly. Yeah, right, all right, so Jamie, maybe so you stop blushing, we'll put the spotlight on you. When it comes to astrology, we're gonna be talking about astrological magic. I guess you know, the evolution of astrological magic or astrology. What is that even to you? Astrology astrological magic.
Speaker 6: So yeah, let's take each of those terms. Right. Astrology you could say, is the well simply, you could say the study of meaningful time. Right, that's a good clean way to put it. Another thing is to say, you know, astrology means a certain thing. When we say astrology, we're talking about something particular. It's not like, uh, you can't call you know, star stellar omens and things like that necessarily astrology. When we talk about astrology proper, I think we're talking about uh, planets in science, in houses and how they're how they aspect each other.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: So there's some elements of astrology that are that make it astrological, right, I mean it's a Hellenistic sort of invention, right, and you know, taking bits from Mesopotamian proto astrological omenic. Uh, auspices and things like that, and they're electional and their mundane sort of proto astrology, and then mixing that with the Egyptian inheritance of of you know, time keeping, the the calculation or the consideration of the decans on the horizon, and the very notion of the ascendant, you know, and using that horoscop post to later to cast a figure or charter. So yeah, and then the magical part, I think, you know, that's something that I was hoping we would because it's misty where that where that kind of begins, right, the astrological magic, because you could say these sort of since we know that in the Acadian through the Babylonian Mesopotamian complex of cultures, there at least they were using electional astrology when to do things and mundane astrology. So if they're electing when to do something, then wouldn't that be sort of a magical because you're you're sort of you're sort of harnessing the cosmic momentum of a certain configuration in the planetarily or you know, zodiatically or otherwise and bringing that bringing that down to a terrestrial operation, you know, which I think is it's got to be astrological magic, even though it's proto astrological, I don't know, well a little misty.
Speaker 3: I think I'll just attack on there. I think the minute you use any kind of technique two uh you know, so divining or ascertaining and delineating uh, the you know, fate and fortune so on and so forth. You know, the thiros, the the the auspicious timing. That's one that's astrology proper, I think in the study of that science. But when you when you use a technique to try and alter or change or influence that or buttress against in fortune or or or misfortune, I think then it can for me it's magic at that point.
Speaker 6: M Yeah, yeah, I definitely agree. So, yeah, when we see things like the making of amulets or talismans or things like that, or even you know, setting up apotropaic objects that you know, we know they did that on you know, thresholds and things like that, and the essentially the equivalent of like what would think of as like voodoo dolls or something. They had little figures that they would create at certain times that would be imbued with that sort of stellar influence or planetary influence, which right that Yeah.
Speaker 9: If I may mention something as well that I remembered there a guy in Brazil that he studied a lot of the like let's say folk magic. I'm going to use this term guys and how they approach things and so on. And what he would do is, because he was into kabbala, he would go to the little sessions going on and write down everything that was asked for the person, like you've got to go through this place, like the cross place, and then you've got to you know, get those ingredients and so on, and around that time do that thing. And then he wrote it down, and then afterwards he checked the correspondences and the astrology and those would match, like he would be a proper like castrological magic. But the person doesn't necessarily new that because they were just getting told what to do, you know. The the nentity or whatever would come and say like, hey, go do this to solve your problem, and then they would go and do it. So it's very nice and understanding as well that even if you don't necessarily know exactly the bits of what you're doing, it still will work.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I you know, I was thinking I was thinking about you when this crossed my mind earlier about how of course there's you know, in Greek the word magic. We know that they parse it out a little better than we do in English. You've got thometurgy, you've got the urgy, you've got tele steky, you've got uh teletie. You know initiation to go is show magic or whatever. But what do you what do you think in terms of like say, like an astral religion like Mythriism or something, or or Hermetism. We know that there's at least that pimander like component of an assent anagoge or something would it be? And and you know this source Shiro better than I do. Do you find anything where it's like astrological teletie or you know, or where they would definitely you like in the Asclepias the god making stuff, right, is that astrological? Or do we just see things like like the Discourse on the eighth and ninth with the no I mean it clearly says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's I would say that the from from the Hellenistic period forward, right, So for I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence, but just in case, like you're you're you just got into this stuff. The Hellenistic period is right around three thirty two in Egypt when Alexander the Great conquered it brought the Greek stuff there. And really modern astrology, or let's say, the precursor or the template for modern astrology, as as consisting of the planets, signs, houses, and aspects, those four parts that first appears. Now similarly, you have really the first concrete record of of of what we would consider modern theurgic ceremonial UH and the you know, the bringing together of all the various colors incenses. We have a very good record of that kind of stuff from that period. I would say that from the outset UH in that period it's it must be it had and there you know, also including the technical harmtica and the philosophical harmtica, there's always a planetary component because even when you're even when you're doing UH emsycosis right in souling an object, even when you're doing that, the intermediary the sort of the distance to be spanned the let's say, you know, I don't know if it's Aristotelian or what, but that that chain of causality, that chain of flow always has to through the firmament you know, through the through down, through the planets and and stuff like that. So I would say there's a very very strong emphasis throughout the traditions. Uh, you know, even some of the pseudo Aristotelian stuff and pseudo Alexandrian stuff that they listed the Pika Trix, right, the Pika Trix says, okay, I am I, I collected the work from these guys, these ancient Greeks. He's constantly talking about. You know, it was it was pseudonymous. It wasn't actually Aristotle talking about you know, uh, or at least we don't think it is. Scholars don't think it was.
Speaker 4: But what I if I could pop in there real quick. So at the oracle at Delphi, the appearance of the constellation Lyra would signify the coming or going of Apollo, the deity that would speak through the pythia at the at the temple. So they they certainly had a connection to the times of the year coming through these different constellations and the spiritual properties of those constellations. So you know, part of the year Apollo would be there, and then other gods would come in and start speaking through the pithea, like Athena and Poseidon, so yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when Apoula was a big one because especially okay Lira right, that means the harp or the lyar, and so he it was actually him sitting at his celestial celestial throne above the cosmos playing the tune that the muses were then singing on the spheres you know that that orbited the Earth. So that's yeah, he would have a very very big part in that kind of thing as well. But yeah, I think I'm I mean, I'm convinced that it was even he Amblicus talks about it. He talks about it like he will sort of barage. And Greg Shaw did an amazing article on this. If anybody wants to get a hold of it, I'll send it to you. He sort of disparaged the use of astrology specifically for sort of telling the future, but he did emphasize its necessity in theurgic you know, an agogay assent, so he was saying like, yeah, we use it for this, not this type of thing. But again, you know, I love v Amlicus. I don't think he's the end all be all about theorgy, And I think Porfyrey had some incredible, incredible insights that had very different brains.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's interesting that whole exchange. Well, you know, letter to an ebo and the mystery to mysterious. But yeah, so I guess that's part of the thing, is like, do we call it astrological magic if they're using it to ascend through the seven planetary spheres at each of which they would you know, maybe take on a virtue, give up advice up or down, you know, an and a basis, a katabasis, you know it. I guess since we're talking about astrological magic, do we want to limit that to purely like talisman making or things that you actually need to cast a full election for, you know, you have to fully cast a chart for that, just like natal astrology. Using magic. In natal astrology, which I do a lot for people, is you know, i'd get maybe the lord of their year, you know, the planetary lord of their year, like what perfection they're in, which is a time lord technique, and I would get the the lord of the house that they're in for that year, and then I would maybe set them up with some sort of synthemata or you know, the appropriate colored candle signatures and tokens in the in the terrestrial sphere, the appropriate color candle, the appropriate incense, the appropriate musical mode like a church mode, plagal or an authentic mode, and you know, the appropriate image maybe to set up and setting up a rudimentary little altar for that deity for that year, so they could and whether they whether they sort of interface through the archangel of the planet, through the planet itself sort of, or through the you know, Greco Roman entity associated with that planet, or the Mesopotamian or Egyptian entity, or however they choose to interact, you know, whether from a pagan perspective, Abrahamic perspective. I mean, you can kind of work around all of that syncretically, right, But yeah, so that's something I definitely call astrological magic. But we also, you know, a big thing and I think this brings in the Neoplatonic thing, but also the Haranian thing much later the Sabians of Herah. Is this astral religion which is like you know, which is so teiological. It's self effic as has something to do with the the condition of the soul and the soul's you know, existence beyond death, so and the state of the soul. It's cleanliness, it's orderliness, whatever. So do we call that astrological magic? That's that to me? I guess in the loosest sense we do, because it has to do with the celestial sphere and also events on the Earth that are tied to that through chains or seer or whatever. And you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I think we well, first I want to just mention this and then kind of pivot Chris Warnock, who you know, we both know, he has said that he has, in his opinion, the Sabians of Iran had the most sophisticated and complex techniques for astrological magic. So I think that situates them squarely in that tradition. But you know, at least to his mind. But I would say the main issue, right, okay, So like we defined astrology pretty succinctly, so what needs to be said about magic is that it's a bracket term that everybody uses differently, or I would say almost everybody will have some shade, some flavor of difference in their definition. I mean, if you ask somebody who just joined I don't know, a wick and coven and somebody who's been in the Golden Dawn for three weeks, and then you talk to some solo practitioner, I don't in the forest in Germany who's been like reconstructing PGM spells for thirty years or whatever. Like, They're all going to have a different idea of what magic is. And so much of it is really in the phenomenology. It's in the actual experience of doing the ritual and then the way that the universe speaks back to you and and you know, you get to test and see your results. Uh. But I would say, yeah, to Jamie's point, we're talking about magic as distinct, let's let's let's you know, I like the Greek sort of wealth of terminology, but maybe let's let's let's boil it down for the sake of making it manageable in a conversation you have. And this comes down to, you know, uh what really Skinner was the guy who set this in motion, uh with with his techniques of Greco Egyptian magic.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: That was his his doctoral thesis. And he starts saying, yeah, well, you can't call everything in here magic because to him, religious stuff stuff that we're talking about, the analogic stuff like, for instance, for him, the Mythris liturgy, right, and this this this kind of vision of assent uh and the the sort of taking in of the race of Helios that we find in the myth or so that for him, for Skinner, it's not that's not magic. Magic for him is is different. But I would say that we have magic as a technology or a techne. It's a craft. Magic is a technology. You can use it for sorcery. You can use it for conjuration, you can use it to commune with with angelic forces or elemental forces. But I would say that on the simplest kind of poll you have, let's let's maybe talk about it in in like in a Grippin context, you have elemental or natural magic that a lot of that is what's going to be more familiar to Wickens and two and to people that are more I would say, of a nature based sort of thing, you have uh, you know, celestial magic, which I think goes both works both ways, and then you have you know, I would I would include divine the divine magic, obviously incorporating the celestial because that's kind of, so to speak, analogically, how you get there. That's that's theurgic uh in nature, which is you know, for me, theogy can be defined as not just God working. But let's say a more practical definition could be, And you tell me if you agree with this, the technology of magic applied to spiritual assent, or let's say, the evolution of the soul.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think as differential differentiated from something like theoria, which is just contemplative, right, So as opposed to being this contemplative philosophical exercise, theogy could, I think be considered because of things like synthemta and symbola, which are signatures and tokens, and these these correspondences and virtues, as a gripple would say, in the in the sub lunary sphere where we are the earth and the elements and things. But yeah, theorgy making use theogy as a techne, making use of these these sort of possibilities through the chain of being, you know. And maybe that's something that I think's worth talking about is all of these people from the ancient Greeks and you know, the hell the Hellenistic period, all the way through the medieval Perso Arabic, the Renaissance, particularly people like Ficino and Agrippa after him. All of these people are making use of a chain and ike you were just kind of talking about it a few minutes ago. How you know, things sort of if we're working with the gods, let's say they're beyond the fixed stars in the zodiac. They're beyond the firmament, the canopy of the stars. So when we're dealing with them, we're trying to theoretically, particularly we're drawing down so we have to have sympathetic resonant sort of attractors down here, depending on what which chain or series or seer i that we're that we're operating with. So typically you go through each of the seven visible planets, the ancient's new seven planets that were visible, and they called the Luminari's planets as well, the luminaries being the Sun and the Moon. They're considered planets because their planet there they wander, They don't follow the fixed stars in the zodiac. They move against that canopy, in fact, in the other direction. So that's that's Plato's the different and the same, you know anyway, But but you so you figure out what the operation is. I think this is definitely worth talking about. This is astrological magic one on one. This is bedrock. Here is like you figure out what operation you want to do. And let's say it's a love you're making a love talisman. You want somebody to fall in love with you. Clearly you go through Venus, right, Goddess of love, of aphrodity, ishtar or whatever, and and you So for me, I use the color green, which is a queen scale golden dawn thing. I just like the color green for Venus. And it's like the the the you know, copper turns green when it's exposed to the air or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly. So So then you would use the appropriate like frank concense is one you can use, in fact, the orphic hymns I think for for venuses, frankncense, green candle, maybe a green altar cloth. You might use rose. Petals are nice for a couple of reasons, because roses are Venusian, but also petals themselves are Venusian. They're the Venusian part of the plant, you know, whereas the thorns would be the marshall part, and if there's any berries they would be the Jubiterarian part. The sap would be solar that you know what I mean. So so you you stack all these symptomata or synthemata, and that attracts that that engages that chain, that that golden chain, you know, that that connects you're going through Venus to these sort of idea of Venus, the form of Venus beyond the fixed stars in the zodiac. This any attic sort of for this noetic Venus, Right, it's just like Plato's forms are up there, they're intellectual sort of entities.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So, and you're using this planet Venus as sort of an intermediary. And uh, just as the sun is considered like the heart in man, the sun is like in between this this noetic sun, this no etic light and and man's heart, which is the sun inside of man. And you know, so there's this meso cosmic activity that's that's planetary. And I think that's important to say, is like when you do an astrological magical operation, you're engaging whatever chain that is depending on the want or need of the magician here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And I think an important part in that that probably most people don't even need to know. But I'd say, if you're if you're working like me in in a bit of a little bit more of a neo platonic or theogic milieu. Yeah, you the plant, the planets themselves, the physical you know, the mundane spheres of the planets are technically considered the bodies of the gods.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: This is one of the sticking points that Porphyry has, you know, or at least ostensibly he has with with Iamlicus. He writes to him and he basically says, you know, okay, so spiritual beings aren't supposed to have bodies. Things that have bodies are are lower on the totem pole. So, I mean a diamond has like an ethereal body. So you're telling me that that if if if a god's body is the planet, then it's got to be lower on that scale than a diamond. And the Anloch just kind of collapse back, and he's like, we are tethered, our souls are tethered to our bodies. They're not in that position. They move their bodies intellectually from afar. So it it's yeah, it's very much so like a physical and actual mundane grounding point that that that noetic intelligence of the god is like at a distance, you know, uh, setting to order. And I think that that's that's a huge part of talking about this is talking about how, you know, the main thing, even even working with something in like like the Hermetic text. The main reason why there's this preoccupation with astrology in magic is because it's it's literally it is the being of the cosmos. It is the wheelwork of existence. And you know, I've said it before, the ancients didn't have digital clocks, they didn't have wall clocks. You know, it was you know, you know, all the way all the way back. Let's say in prehistory, you'd go outside, what determines like whether or not you should stay awake or go to sleep. Where the sun is, what determines whether or not you should keep warm or take you know, take layers off. Where the sun is, you know, what determines whether or not like the tide is going to swell and you may drown the moon. So all of the apparent causality, it appeared to them to be all up there, like so this gigantic machine could be viewed in motion and we could see its effects here. So that's that's you know, I think that that's really really important also for grounding. For grounding, I think that the person is trying to wrap their head around astrology and magic is getting them into that that worldview of understanding, like you know, they were looking at they were trying to observe, like why is this stuff changing? Why are these patterns existing? And we could go and do a whole side tangent about the underlying why, you know, But I think I think a better kind of pivot would be maybe this I'd like to ask Jamie, like, if I have it right, sort of the astrological practice really starts with omenik and mundane astrology in ancient Iranian region, correct Mesopotamia?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, they had like regal astrology. Basically the astrology wasn't for individuals. It was it was for the king and for the kingdom. You know, it was a royal art that was you know, used specifically for that. It didn't become sort of natalized, you know, or individualized until the Hellenistic era. In fact, I want to say the first chart that we have is like four to ten BCE is the first the first nativity that we found, a Hellenistic nativity. So you know, one thing though that you were you made me think of that. I like this idea of the demonstrable causal effects of the planets and that being something that clearly that the ancient saw and definitely informed some of their early conception of astrology, or at least domanic proto astrology. There's also there's also this idea of the moon throughout astrology being the distributor. And I love this idea and it's something that I think even astrological magicians sometimes, you know, definitely at their peril avoid you know, is the importance of the moon in a chart, whether like let's say, like my example, before you're working on a venus talisman or something. If that moon is waning, then the love is waning. You know, the position of the moon and the condition of the moon is really important. And simply because bringing Aristotle back into it and told of me uh through him. But how when when that effluence and I never use the word energy here because it's metaphysical, it's not physical. We're talking about metaphysics here, not physics, when that effluence is coming down through the seven planetary sphere and taking on its coloration at each of those or it's it's accretions, just like a human soul does when it comes down through the spheres. Uh. See the myth of her Or et cetera. At the at the sphere of the moon, the sub lunary sphere, the moon herself, she's the nurse of the Earth. She's the distributor, she's the dispenser of fortune. Down here, she's she's the you know, fastest moving planet air quotes uh and and she distributes. So it's very important that no matter what what the operation is, whether it's a wealth jubiterarian thing, whether it's a mite Mars thing, aggression or some you know, war bellicost sort of operation, whether it's transportation, communication, mercurial, whatever it is, you want the moon to be. You want the moon to reflect that operation symbolically. You know, if you're giving up smoking, you want a waning moon. You know, like tobacco is ruled by Mars. So if you have Mars in a bad you know, a bad placement for Mars and you have a have a waning moon, that might help you, you know if along with other factors, that might help you to create a talisman for non smoking. Just off the top of my head, something like that. But that's the basic nuts and bolts, Jamie.
Speaker 4: A good example is the orphic hymns you could find in there they're talking about blessing these rights. So in a lot of ways you could see the orphic hymns gig a part of this sort of magic, and they describe exactly what you're talking about with the different gods, goddesses, planets all together sort of being sug about in a way that is supposed to be a blessing of the rights that they're performing.
Speaker 6: So for sure, yeah, yeah, I use them all the time that Thomas Taylor once all the pretty mu which every operation I do, I use those.
Speaker 3: And and the thing is too, you know, in the according to that the ancient rationale, the sub lunary sphere is the only thing that can change, you know. So it's it's that's everything else is is entirely ordered and unerring. Even though they have you know, retrograde motion and it's erratic, it's still predictable. But but everything under the from the moon down is what is acted upon. But yeah, you look at you look at like uh Lily, you look at Lily's uh you know, I think Book two of Christian Astrologies, all his horrory stuff. Uh, he's got this thing that we used in the Golden Dawn. We use Lily's considerations before judgment when you look at a horror and the main thing that he's driving home is like, you know, Nick and I swear, oh yeah, don't do any don't read this chart. If the moon is fucked, you know, like like it's like if you're if you're trying to do electional or horrory. And and he's got the via combusta. I think the general thing is like, if the moon or or if the moon or or the you know, the planet the lord of the significator is between fifteen degrees of scorpio and libra, don't do anything. But really the main emphasis in his considerations is, uh, is the moon. And I've always found that interesting. Uh two kind of tack I guess, tack on a little bit to what HG.
Speaker 6: HG.
Speaker 3: Wells up there as was saying, was, uh, you know, they, particularly in theogy, they looked at they looked at Hakate as the goddess, the triform goddess of magic, of magic, and she was a central central she was the main god god or the deity for the you know, the the the particularly the late antique theogists al Gai Susdavini's he talks about that quite a bit, and they corresponded to her. They corresponded her to the moon, like the you know, the not just the dark moon, but the moon in all of her aspect, because she's triformed, so that that's always been God. There's always been an interesting interface for the Moon for me.
Speaker 6: I have a quick sorry, I yeah, she's in the oracle, the Albean oracles, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, she's the formless fire actually that they talk about.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt there. I have a question, I guess for both Jamie and Ike if you can feel that however you want. It's a bit normy question because obviously I look from Asia, like obviously Tondraic Buddhism and Taoism, and like East Asian sort of ontology is much more concretely than anything. Then I'm not really familiar with the Greek stuff, as I've told like many times. So, but you know, how do Jamie, how do they reconcile the later sort of mogalized Persian texts that include the Nine Luminaries of like the Artarviodas, like including Rahu Katu. How is there a way to reconcile that like with Western magic or without necessarily including the the outer three, or I'm very comfortable using the outer three, like I like Uranus for Rahu and Katu is obviously Neptunian in a way, and so I'm comfortable doing that, but some people are not. Is there like a way that either of you sort of reconcile those cosmologies? And I think it also ties in with the moon of course, because you know, so many of the systems use that nine planetary model or at least the kind of idea, and like I brought up the sub luninary like changing that world, well, definitely the ysoda or the moon is definitely the place for reconciliation, rectification and like bringing things together, you know, come off the sun.
Speaker 2: You could say.
Speaker 3: Yes, go on, no, please go Well I was was gonna say, I don't, I don't if we're talking like Rahu ketu type of thing that now we're I feel like, correct me if I'm wrong? Are we getting into uh the Vedic terminology for that stuff.
Speaker 5: So I I practice contric astrology, so it's very different. It's much closer to like suffer yes ora, Like it's more you're the planetary bodies or the Grahas, the Graspers, they're really in a cosmological position of like minor arcons, is how we would understand it. So there are ways to appease them, or in some cases, like the more deeper into tentre that you go, whether Indian or Buddhist, there are ways to completely clear negative planetary charts, as I've heard I talk about in the more Hellenistic terms before. So yes, it is the North and South, not to the moon. But they actually are considered like luminaries, like they're considered to be in the physical sky. They're just shadow planets, and so I think you can liken them also to the outer thro the two of the outer three that I mentioned. But I also you have to kind of understand like how they work with certain deities, because only certain there's very few deities that can clear Rahu Katu. Rahu particularly loves to be both Venus and Shawnee or Saturn, like he loves to pretend to be those two things, because those are very densifying kinds of planets, like to bring things into material reality, and Katu loves to be both. Ioway think of it as like Hessaid and Va, but Mars and Jupiter because Mars is like the annihilating flame, right, so he likes to bring people there so they kind of annihilate, because that's what KATU's real desire is to get out of the form.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't I would say this. I don't work with the the Vedic or the Joe Tisch model. I'm not familiar with. It's it's not I've I've found that. I I have found what I need in in the the Western model of seven planetary spheres or seven planets, eight eight spheres, nine depending and the the I would say predominantly Western model of ascent. What you're talking about sounds very fascinating, But I'm interested to know if Jamie's got a little bit more footing in that world.
Speaker 6: Well, I know Rahu and Kattu as far as I know. I'm no expert on j Otis or Vedic astrology, but I recognize them as the lunar nodes, and I don't know them any other way. But the lunar nodes in you know, Hellenistic astrology, in traditional astrology, let's say, all the way through to the Elizabethan Hero with lily Is, the lunar nodes are essentially you might say the north lunar node turns up the volume. It's sort of a not a predominator, but it kind of it increases. It tends to increase, whereas the south lunar node tends to decrease. So if you have a planet conjunct the the Jupiter, let's say, Jupiter conjunct the North node, it's going to turn up the Jupiter vibes a little bit, you know, to put it colloquially, whereas the South note is going to turn down the volume on that planet's expression. Now, of course that's tempered by other things. If you get Jupiter in cancer where he's exalted, then you know, and you got the and he's conjunct the north lunar node, you're going to get Jupiter to the max pretty much, you know. So it's like there's other factors. And then you got aspects to look at, you know, and you got his despositor to look at, and is he you know, in aspect to his despositor. There's just a million things. You could literally drive yourself crazy, and you know, so that's one thing, but then there's and you could drive yourself crazy with elections, like I want to elect a good time to brush my teeth. You know, I got to elect a good time to leave the house, or I'm fucked. Everything's my whole life is ruined, you know, Like you know, I could see if it's a wedding or a job interview, but some people get into the weeds where it's like, you don't need to elect for that, man, I mean, you're gonna be okay.
Speaker 9: And even sometimes if you do elect, things will happen and then you have to reschedule, like let's say, for a job interview or something you elected, and then it gets to the time the guys have to reschedule for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: So you should be able to see that in the chart though, yeah, yeah, yeah you should. I've done a bunch of election all over the last couple of years, and you do drive yourself nuts. But here's the comforting thing, and this is how I look at the the Also, this is how a lot of like somebody like Jamie who does astrology professionally full you know, uh to for what I would consider to be like full time for somebody who's now retired. But they're gonna approach it way differently than me. I know, because I've driven myself nuts so many times, like you, limitations are actually good. Limitations are good because what they do is they subordinate this kind of lust that we have for You know, if you're trying to do a magic ritual and elect elect for something, you you obviously have a lot of skin in the game, You've got a lot, You're in it. You know, you're invested, You're you're doing a ritual for it. But that those those sort of impediments and those those uh inhibitions to you getting exactly what you want, I think are actually a good thing. They leave right because part of magic is learning how free will and determinism uh intersect, and I think that they can really really benefit each other free will without any any four walls around it. We know what that turns into, you know, so I think that's really important. That's why the moon is really I look at the moon, the lord of the ascendant, the lunar and or the the north and south nodes will normally tell me something to do with a lot of times in this horrory thing, the beginning and the end of the matter, uh, and and how it's going to start, you know, that kind of meme, how it started and how it's going type of thing along with the symphony of other information. So there are also like really really major detractors from from being able to you know, if I have you know, a significator who's whose uh you know, rulership is or whose lord is is Jupiter and he's afflicted, I'm gonna wait, uh and and and again. Sometimes that can be a good thing. So I would, you know, I would encourage people that are interested in particularly like electional and horrory, like you know, you gotta be okay with with getting what you can get, you know, and making the best out of that.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree, I feel go on, go ahead, Jim.
Speaker 6: I feel like we kind of left jin the Restigen's question unanswered, which was, uh, what that had to do with maybe the lunar mansions? Then Chatras was set.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Yes, you see, pretty Yeah, there's there's heavy use of those in the Picka tricks. You've seen the lunar mansions. They're they're really big in the Perso Arabic tradition. Now, a lot of I don't know if you know this, but a lot of the Coots and the Veda Christrology comes from a document called the yavana Jadica. Have you heard of that?
Speaker 5: I have that this is the strong part of my knowledge basis rather than anything Hellenistic or even like the Hellenistic astrology at all.
Speaker 2: So that's sort of why I like, yes, I agree with you.
Speaker 6: What I was going to say was was you know more Hellenistic Christrology than you think, because the Avantajadica is the is to say, it's the basically the nativities of the Greeks is what the word means. So it's they when they learned how to navigate the Red Sea, uh, you know, for trade, and they went to the Indian subcontinent, they brought a document called the Avana Jadica, which was Hellenistic astrology at that time, and that that sort of informed there the existing lunar mansion based NOx Chatra proto astrology. And then all of a sudden, you know, vedach astrology has the angles, the the ascendant and descend it the m C and the ic the kentron, you know, so there's if you look when they talk about the deccans and the angles and stuff like that, these are essentially Indianized transliterations of of Hellenistic astrological Greek terms you know that that it's very like whatether they call the deccans again, it's like decnas or Dreknas or something like that. It's it's basically the deccans and the and the kentrons, which are the steaks. The angles are called like kendra or something like that. So it's so it's you. I'm just saying this to tell you, you know more Hellenistic astrology. Then you think if you know giotitischer rada christrology, because it's really an importation of Hellenistic Christrology. I mean, other than they're no chatras, they're lunar mansions, which who knows how they shared those with the Persians the person Arabic tradition.
Speaker 5: No, I appreciate that, Jamie. I know there's a lot of borrowing. There's a lot of syncretism. I mean, TNTRA is all about syncretism. Now I don't practice, Joe Tisha. I didn't mean to like misarticulate that if that's like I implied that I only tantric astrology, I understand, and I always say that what is that? So it's found in it's basically in all the higher yoga texts. They all have their own sort of cosmological ordering, cosmological understanding and cosmological.
Speaker 6: Magic and so like tree Luke de Soir, like you can look at the.
Speaker 5: Shre vigitechts or the color chakra is a very famous one from Burson Archive, and he taught they have a whole section on how it has its own section on cosmological magic, the or not culture not sorry, chakra Samvara Guya garba guya Samaja. All of these basically, like all contract texts, basically have their own sort of cosmological and then ontological solutions for those cosmogical problems.
Speaker 6: Well, that's interesting. Email me some stuff, would you sure?
Speaker 2: I'd love to cool. Thank you. Thanks.
Speaker 1: One thing I did want to ask. It's kind of a very basic question, but I even just bringing it up for even some of the listeners that really don't know what goes along with like ritual magic as well, when you're talking about I mean, I guess as we go along with astrological magic.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Probably also the same thing for me from my experience with planetary or elemental we were talking about the moon a lot before. For me, depending if it was waxing and waning would also determine what I'm doing it because of the invoking of banishing. Would you also apply that type of idea to the way you guys would normally do your work with the stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I would do. I do invo invo any vocations in the waxing period the only time I will use the dark moon for something like that. Uh. And I use the full too, I know, I know a lot of a lot of like the solomonic stuff says in the Waxing and you see it in the PGM two in the wax thing, I used the full. I find it. There's there's nothing wrong with the Full. But in the dark the only and the only sort of interface that I'll work with in the darkest hit Kata because it's just a different aspect of for you know, the morethonic. She's not, She's not entirely sonic. I think people get get the wrong idea about k Kata being a an exclusively cothnic goddess. She oscillates, she encompasses all of them. But but for the most part, I will I'll only do avocational or invocational ceremonial in the waxing period.
Speaker 2: I not to derail You're like.
Speaker 5: About Hecate, but I think that you might actually find this interesting. There's a grouping of Nitya goddesses. So these are the sixteen or sometimes they're fifteen, sometimes they're seventeen, depending on whether it's a what text it is. But they're a grouping of Dikini goddesses from Central India. But they're also found in obviously Newari and to Ven Buddhism, and they represent the phases of the lunar cycle specifically, like they it's different forms. It's not just like one goddess, it's like all the number of the they're called the Daughters, but they're related to obviously the grouping of Matracas, which are sometimes said to be the Pleiades, but sometimes they're also said to be the Big Dipper or the Little Dipper, again depending on the texts.
Speaker 3: Cool. I like the.
Speaker 6: I think in speaking of the pleats, there's I think in Chinese astrology they're called the seven Chicken Sisters. If I'm which I always thought was super cool. I wonder what that story is.
Speaker 5: You know, I only know the Buddhist story, Ja Jamie, but I well, I will definitely research it after you bring it up.
Speaker 2: Now that you've said it, Yeah, I do have one.
Speaker 6: I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 3: Wait can I can I just derail the conversation for saying.
Speaker 2: I was?
Speaker 3: I just I don't know. I feel like I want to share this with our audience because it's a really important piece of information. I recently found out that in the ebers Papyrus, which is an Egyptian medical papyrus, that right the a proctologist was the the the translation for the title they gave a proctologist was guardian of the Anus. And I just think everyone should know that. I just wanted to I wanted everybody to have that and use it, you know, use it in your magic.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: That's that's actually super interesting, and it's timely for me because I had a visit recently. Really, you know, I'm getting to be of that age now. I don't want to get into detail, but I was a little worried at the visit because the practologists had both of his hands on my shoulders. Oh, I was like and I was like, I was like, what is that your your wedding ring? And it's like, no, it's my watch. He said, I love you.
Speaker 3: I love you, I love doing anything with you.
Speaker 9: Watch you know, this made me think of an actual question now about like how to how do you guys use the strugley in the medical sense of let's say, applying the connections between the house sign and planets whatever to the parts of the body or to elect like if I'm electing a surgery or whatever medical operation, because I'm pretty sure they used the lot before, but like nowadays in the West, it's completely disregarded. Right, but uh, Christian, if you guys ever worked.
Speaker 3: With this kind of thing or research, Jimmy, you want to take a stab at that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, So melothesia, right, Melothesia is an ancient doctrine. It's actually pre Hellenistic. This is a Mesopotamian doctrine that it's called the zodiacal man and basically aries is the top of the head. Uh, Taurus is the Arias is the whole head. The neck sort of area is Taurus, and then you know, Gemini are the arms, and cancer is the sort of chest and basically all the way down to the feet which are Pisces the two fish. You know, So the the zodiac just goes down the body and then the the planets are actually they're like organs in the body. So for the planets, I think Venus is the liver or no Venus is the kidneys and the basically genitalia. Mars is the gall bladder and intestines. I think, Uh, Saturn is like the skin and bones and spleen. Uh. Jupiter is the liver and the blood because he's sanguine. I don't quite remember all of them, but you see where I'm going with that. So the so the planets are the organs and the zodiac. The belt of the zodiac is the length of the human body from areas at the head to pisces at the feet. And you when you're looking at a figure or a chart, you would look at maybe the sixth house to see for health and wellness and illness and things. I would look first at the sixth house, maybe the condition of the lord of the sixth house. If the sixth house were, you know, on the zodiac sign of say of say Scorpio, it would be the privates area, you know. And if you had, say Mars in Scorpio where he's the ruler of Scorpio, you could say that you have well, you could say that you have swelling or redness in the generals or something like that or heat, you know, so it's a yeah, it's a pretty, it's a pretty and plus that moves around with perfections too, which is my favorite time lord system, So where each each year of life is a different house, you know, and basically you just go around the wheel your whole life. You know, it's different each time. And and and that that also moves your sixth house, you know what I mean, because if you're treating your perfected house as your first house that year, you know, that moves your sixth house into different regions of the body. And then when you have planets there, those are the organs you know, and how how they're Oh, somebody who's asking about the hermetic lots part of spirit spirit as an accurate representation for the yes, I could see the part of spirit just to answer aeros up real quick as people have associated that with the personal dimone. But I like, look into Ibn Sina and no, I'm sorry. Ibn Ezra and Masha La. Ibn Ezra and Masha La have the most rigorous technique of finding the the personal Dimone. It's really involved, though. You got to put each of the planets in the five highlegal places it's too technical for this, but it's it's really cool and I think it's the most decisive method of finding the personal diamond. Sorry for that digression.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean my my my background in in that kind of stuff actually is in Chinese medicine.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: So the way that I will apply it, I actually have a very i'd say a rich or a full practice uh applying sort of astrological herbalism, uh in the form of tinctures or or topicals, things of this nature, tease, et cetera. Working much more in a homeopathic which like cures like type of type of model. But yeah, I I'm always looking at I'm a little bit of a hypochondria. I'm pretty sure I've sent Jamie like charts about questions of my health and stuff before. But I'm always looking at like six House transits and stuff like that to see what's going on and even you know, Lord of the Sixth, like, what's going on there, How's how's that planet being aspected? What's going on there, what's applying there, what's separating there. But astrological herbalism has been I would say, like the last maybe like year has been really really big for me. We're putting together. My fiance and I are are co author in a book called The Astrological Gardener's Companion, and that's uh, that's gonna come out probably at the end, I don't maybe the beginning of twenty twenty seven. Maybe I don't know, but yeah, it's that. That's usually how more so how I will approach it. And then there's also certain uh preperations, like phylactory preparations, were like, I'll this is more of a PGM technique, but I will use the I would say a more uh uh, I use the sun for healing. Okay, so I'm looking at what's going on solar solar wise, but I will consecrate a What I'll do is I make an ink. I have a recipe for making ink out of myrrh and gum Arabic and uh natural colorations. I will write out like a healing either something from the Psalms or something or from the Gospels, and I'll write that in at the peak of that uh that election in that in that time period, and I will roll it up and I keep it in these little you can get them for like eight dollars on Amazon. They're like these little screw top uh, sorts of I'll see if I can grab one and show it to you in a minute. But it's just this little screw top container and they come in these really some of them come in really cool designs, like a mine's got a uh like that Greek kind of like tessellated that that border design on it, and you just slipped that in there when you're feeling ill, you know, with this consecrated talismanic. You know, you've prepared the ink, You've written it out and sort of I sing it out as I write it over and over like a mantra, and then I'll hang it around my neck until I feel better.
Speaker 6: Nice, very cool, that's good stuff. Yeah. I love the tincture making process. In fact, I've got a venus tincture going right now in it's in the it's been in my broiler, the salts after the uh the U. I extracted the the sulfur in the mercury, so the issue and the alcohol fisheric.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so I have the I have a.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have the salts in the broiler right now. They've been under there so every time I cook something, because it's so hard to get them white. It's so hard to get white salts without a torch. I don't have a torch. Yeah, I got them.
Speaker 3: I've got the burner that gets up to two hundred thousand BTUs. It's like the only way to do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I gotta get I gotta get better gear.
Speaker 2: What so what what?
Speaker 3: What's what's your plant material that you're using, damiana or I.
Speaker 6: Used rose petals for this venus one beautiful Yeah, and I used I used universal vegetable mercury, i e. Grain alcohol, because how much alcohol are you going to get out of you know, probably forty rose petals, not a ton. But uh so you have to use I mean it's still same kingdom, same mercury.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I think it's perfectly back to a lot of alchemists would have used. They would have used brandy long ago.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just just yeah, but uh but yeah, that's all I mean. Paracelsis using that for using astrology for his his spajarch making. I think it's a yeah, and then using that in the in the medical astrolog yatro mathematics in the medical context, I think is uh. I think it's really great. I mean, of course, as a professional astrologer, though you got to be careful because you tell people, oh, just don't worry about it, go take this tincture, you know, and then all of a sudden, you know, somebody's somebody's heart falls out their ass, and and then you're you're on the on the hook or somehow, you know, their mom's like, their mom's like, uh, you've made my son's heart fall off his ass.
Speaker 3: That is not guardian of Vianus stuff. Okay, that's not being a guardian of the as If hearts are falling out of it, then we're in trouble.
Speaker 1: Well, oh, just real quick, I just want to be a shameless plug here. You guys might actually be interested in it. But next Friday, I do have something I thought was really interesting. I cover like, you know, magical herbs, you know, the stuff that we would normally think, you know, that we use in witchcraft or ceremony magic, and I have the effects of them on our cranial nerves. Some actual real interesting stuff with that, to tell you the truth, some of them are like nerve. Well, some of them it's like what it's kind of known to do magically. It's almost like all right, it's actually kind of recreating that in your body with in inhaling it it's hard to explain, but some of them we kind of see like, oh wow, all right, it's interesting for sure.
Speaker 3: It doesn't sound that hard to explain. I've inhaled marijuana before, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: So Errosid I have a show on Mondays where we're talking about spajerics and making them whatnot. But it's pretty interesting. She was talking about a Venus love spell I guess Jupiter over our heart and relying on her finger related to Leo and the Night House of Venus or something.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: One question.
Speaker 1: I also say, oh, sorry, yeah, we just asked this question too real quick, and I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna get like, probably not the best idea, but from like my experience, and I didn't do too much esological magic, but when I did, I like kind of use the hexagram ritual. I'm assuming you guys probably don't even I mean, would that be something you'd still use now for that type of work or is there like bigger things that you've moved on to, like other rituals that would be better for that.
Speaker 3: I I like the hexagram, but I won't I don't think it's you gotta first of all, you got to use the hexagram, do a full at the very least, do a like work with every planet, like three or four times with the hexagram.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then you got to see its effects because it's it's got a it's got a very it has a very like a general kind of thing. If you're just if unless you have a really really specific thing that you're doing, it will it's kind of like this three For me anyway, it's this three sixty effect where like I didn't necessarily intend for this to happen, but it's it's related and et cetera, so on and so forth. I would say it's situationally appropriate. I like, I I'm not for something like that. I'm I'm pulling from the PGM, even though I have I have kind of blended both of them before. I just don't find that it's necessary to use the hexagram for for stuff like that. I think it can also interfere. I I like it when I'm making traditional talismans out of a specific material with the squares and the you know, the sigils and stuff straight out of Agrippa and all that kind of stuff. That's when I'll I'll use the hexagram. I find that that combination is really well. That's how I learned how to consecrate talents exactly, the hexagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I thought like, it's kind of like I can think getting into depth as.
Speaker 2: You guys are.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if i'd suggest the hexagram, I just feel like that would I don't know this would be the best. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's like, what are you trying to what are you trying to make me do? Quit?
Speaker 6: It's so like involved, yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I'm sorry now I interrupted somebody for that, so go ahead.
Speaker 2: Was that branch?
Speaker 5: No, I just wanted to say that astroerbalism. At least you guys are speaking, I can understand that language.
Speaker 2: At least.
Speaker 5: I think that's really interesting. I feel like there's a lot of first principle experimentation that people can do with herbs to understand planetary natures, because obviously there's a direct one to one relationship as long as you know the planetary metal content of whatever herb you want to reduce or make into incense. Incense is a good one for normies rather than go full on sporagic. I think I don't know if you guys have any idea thoughts on that or commentary.
Speaker 6: What are you using Culpepper or like cunningham sterble.
Speaker 2: I'm very familiar with both.
Speaker 5: I'm also familiar with a lot of the Chinese sort of like tax on, like the planetary natures as it relates to TCM Herbs. I also speak Mandarin, so that obviously helps me a little bit in that endeavor. And then I'm familiar with like the Garuda Piranha, which listen in ara Vedic context with the Grajas and also the Tarviadas in themselves lay out a kind of like astromedicalism.
Speaker 2: It's very rudimentary.
Speaker 5: I'm sure Jamie you'd probably find it like very Oh you'd be like, oh, this is just derived from like the you know, Mughal ice Arabic text, but you know it's a it's something.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean I wrote a book uh Etheric magic on Llewellen and uh, I think there are a lot of those principles, like in terms of the energy work and stuff like that. Is is any of that pertinent to what we're talking about here?
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, yeah, there's there's there are there's like A I gotta well go ahead.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I was gonna say, only because you know, I'm I don't know anything about any of that.
Speaker 3: I would say that, like, so, there's there's tons of work on what they call like plant energetics and planetary orbology. I you know, I do have a little bit of an issue with right. I had to I had to call it etheric energy or you know, I had to talk about energy work. This is the only thing I have recourse to in order to be able to explain this stuff and to be able to make it a little bit more tangible. I'm not certain that it is. I like I and I say this in the book. I say it when I give presentations. I'm using energy almost as like a it's just a place place marker. I would say, we don't really know entirely what it is, but we do know. I really liked the term that you used, effluence.
Speaker 2: I really like that.
Speaker 3: But I would say that the the way that I think a Western kind of ceremonialist, let's say, somebody that came through the Golden Dawn or derivative traditions, the way that they're really gonna be able to understand a lot of that stuff is in is in the cataalistic tree of life. Like I had to rely on that as well because it maps onto the body as a microcosm, and so you can I also find like I started off in jaiz En meditation and certain Vedic practices that are kind of similar to Kundalini, and just working with with the midline. It's it's good, I think in terms of purifying and sort of condensing this energy and et cetera, and so on and so forth. But once you break it out into those three pillars of the tree of life, or really once you get to like further levels, you're you're working with five pillars right in the microcosm one, two, three, four five. That's at a certain point in Golden Dawn work, you're working with five pillars in the sphere of sensation. It broadens it up for magic because every one of those things is corresponded to a planet, you know, a zodiacal constellation and element every part of that tree. So it really broad it up for me in terms of a magical scheme. Man, you could you could totally work that kind of planetary uh you know, I guess energetic system, but you you know, you're gonna need to like memorize a bunch of correspondences. I don't know how many people want to do that, but I know if you, if you come through that sort of trajectory and that training like you, you probably already have it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, one thing I may say, and then I'll have to jump out. It's pretty amazing to see when, for example, I did work with other people on some energetic like pathworking or like going out their tree and whatever, like if I was studying and helping them go and feel for themselves, and when they describe what they're seeing or feeling and so on, and it matches completely like the correspondences. So even if they don't know that, it matches just because you know they're feeling and they're trying to explain with their own words. Somebody that does understand can do the the match in. It's so so nice and reaffirms the how that works. Right, So it's pretty fain cool, Yice, Thanks about for the chat, Thanks about everyone that watches them from here and uh you in the next one.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thanks General branch Hell did you want to it's.
Speaker 7: Gonna I do have a question that Jin's welcome to go ahead of me if he likes.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Josh, you're being so nice to me and deferential. We're all equals in the Great Lodge. Just for the record, I'm not the boss, but you know he's he's maybe he's doing a bed. I don't know, Jamie, I have I have a quick question for you. You sort of discussed this last time, and it's directly related to your astrocoetic book. So when you uh started doing like because you mentioned that you use the tarot for like part of that working, So you explained like how you would use certain tarot cards to represent Obviously, certain astrological conditions are couplistic sort of associations for getting into taro, Like I understand the tree in my own way, in my own ton tric way, and I am a big diagnosed this. I'm a big fan of dcs David hym Smith Heimsmith excuse me, sorry, and so I've read all his books, and I've also read like Romic and stuff, But I don't come at it from like a necessarily hermetic perspective. So when I'm now trying to learn a little taro, at least in its application to the tree, So what would you recommend for me or maybe someone who's less familiar with the tree to get into Taro met like, do you like tom Berg or is there something like it?
Speaker 2: Whatever you like?
Speaker 5: I just want to I'm curious. I would like to learn whatever you do, because obviously I respect it highly.
Speaker 6: If we're I mean, for for me, I can't think of a book like a Terot book that it was like a one great book. And I've told people this over the years, and I stand by this. It's like there is no just nobody could just sit there and write it out in a book and get I mean, I think it's how you approach that symbol set. It's what you It's the other things in your life, you know. It's are you familiar with how the divine liturgy works? Are you familiar with a Catholic Mass? Are you familiar with rudimentary Kabbalah? Do you know are you good with mythology? Do you know Renaissance history? Do you know courtly heraldic symbolism? Do you know you know a little bit of alchemy? You know, it's when you start to know these when you start to develop those modes of interpretation, when you start to develop a hermeneutic toolkit is when is when I think when you could really act it. Do you know Pythagorean numerology for example, you know when you think of one, is it the monad?
Speaker 2: Is it you know?
Speaker 6: Is it the tohn or you know? And is the diad evil to you? Is it this you know, indefinite diad?
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 6: So there's there's all these all these I think tangential things that inform I guess the more you know, the more you can sort of get out of the taro. I don't know if that makes a whole lot of sense, but reading a book on Tara like Tomberg. I've read tom Berg, and you know, I'm uncomfortable with continental correspondences like he uses like Levy. I'm I'm just better with Golden Dawn correspondences. I think they're neater. I think they're tighter. And yes, there's a couple of transpositions there, but uh, it's nothing I'm you know, worried about. And it's and it's the language that we speak. So there's the other thing when we talk about and I know you're a cobbylist, when we talk about the gras tree or this tree or that tree, I think we all agree pretty much on the kurture tree, and I think we all pretty much agree on the Queen color scale, just if we're talking generally about this stuff. So, and we all pretty much agree on the attribution of the tarot to the netivot or the paths. So I think it's just courtesy amongst occultists to talk in the language that everybody knows, you know, and to use gammetric values that everybody kind of agrees with as opposed to some ordinal things, some other creative interpretation. But yeah, it's just something. Yeah, you could specialize on your own, but when you and I are talking, I'm going to use the language that we know absolutely have in common. I don't know if that kind of veered too much from your question, but yes, about about Taro, I think I think it's more the things that are around, the things that you learn around Taro that informant ike.
Speaker 2: So sorry about that, Jimmy apologize.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I it's kind of like music. You're developing this, uh you know, uh jenisagui this this kind of taste almost but uh, it's it's sort of this foundational backdrop to being able to interpret this stuff because the taro. I have seen the taro work just as well for hardcore like militant Golden Dawn correspondent correspondence people as I do for people who treat the taro like it's an oracle deck or something like that. You know, I've seen it work fine in both situations. I think consistency in your own method is important. But I also think, uh, you know, this is gonna sound cheesy and new agey, but I mean Taro was the first, it's still is my preferred to a nation method. But you got to develop a relationship with the cards. They speak to you like a person. You know, a lot of times they speak to you like a counselor it's not it's not that you I feel like one of the things about the Golden Dawn system is that I think it's better for Tarot card pathworkings or things like you're using where you're doing this sort of you know, using the tarot as like associations for particular planetary whatever it is. But I think ultimately to develop a really serious Tarot practice, you got to just develop a relationship and be consistent with your methodology. And I agree with you, I Taro is it's always been like my number one thing was the first like occult tool that I ever purchased and worked with. But I've I can count on one hand how many tarot books I've read. It kind of it because like the first third through everything I've tried to read, I've been like, this is this gets more more in the way than helping me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, I feel the same way. And you know, there's another interesting thing about developing that theoretical sort of lens on the tarot is like as opposed to And it's my first divination technique as well. And I came at it completely intuitively, you know, in fact, almost in the psychological sort of sense, you know, because I, like all of us, you know, growing up in the modern West, we're disenchanted beings. We're just hardwired for atheistic materialism and nihilism. I mean, it's just we It's in our commercials, it's in our cars, it's in our food. It's just what we take. You know, everything's weights and measures. The planets are meaningless, just dead matter held together by some natural force or other, you know. But I don't want to go down that path right now. But I will say that regarding the Tarot, starting from that intuitive place and then learning all this theory and all you know, all the GD correspondences and all the mythology and all these different ways of looking at it, then coming back hopefully to where the intuitive and the intellectual kind of meat, and you don't have to think about those correspondences anymore. It's it's become something where these symbols, you know, especially I use Tero de Marseille and Merseille. These are these are nice, like wood cutty looking, strong, austere images.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't.
Speaker 6: I started on rider way like most people, but I switched to these pretty early on, and I just find them to be more penetrative, you know, Like when I look at a Tero de marsell card, it's just like it can bypass my intellect, you know, or it could before I get in there and start interpreting it. Just like dream interpretation. And Danny told me this. He got it from Freud or Young or somebody, but he said, the first thing in dream interpretation that you should think is how does it feel? Not what does it mean? You know, when you have this crazy dream you wake up in the morning, what does it mean?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 6: My dog has esp with me and we were eating cereal or whatever. But don't look at like what it means, look at try and feel those feelings you know around that. So I think I think the really integrative part of tarot is when the theory and the practice and the intuition and the intellect I guess kind of become one one thing and you really just absorb the symbols for what they are and maybe you're able to articulate those to somebody else.
Speaker 2: Thank you both appreciate that greatly.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 1: Do you think at some point it's this type of magic it was more open in the public or or more well accepted, like I think like during the Renaissance, do you think maybe it was usual considered more.
Speaker 6: The Roman Empire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every everyone was was an astrologer back then.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thrastle us, Uh, I mean it was, it was part of it was part of the legislature.
Speaker 4: Mm.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like a it's like a civic art.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I uh. It just it all has to do I think exactly with what you were saying, Jamie. Is that that that you know atheistic materialism and it's it's it's unconscious because it is it just surrounds us completely. Uh that, you know, just it relegates it to this, you know, the bin of Wu. You know, it's like, uh so it's yeah, it's been that way probably since. You know, the Ptolemaic model literally Ptolemy's sort of model of the spheres was kind of like disproven. But I think the broader project of what we call right the Enlightenment really was was this prolonged effort to sort of sort of de enchante you know, disenchant everything uh by. But it didn't it didn't successfully do that. I think.
Speaker 9: You know, I.
Speaker 3: Somebody asked me a question recently or they posted up on my wall and I haven't gotten to it yet to answer it. They said, Okay, if this stuff was so powerful, why was why did modern science? Why did the why was the Enlightenment able to overcome it and destroy it? The first thing is it didn't destroy it. Okay, we like, we're all sitting here, we all do this shit. It did not destroy it, first of all. Second of it was it really was a shift in in predominantly the Protestant and Walter Honograph has done great research on this. The Protestant universities wanted to strip out this sort of platonizing version of Christianity, And little did they know that that project, once begun, would eventually just come back it to bite them in the ass and eat them alive in terms of you know, the academic institutions. But it's a I think that's what rendered it controversial. But even even still there were people in the fifteenth and sixteenth century still using this stuff. You know, there were still some doctors that that you know, it's even still well known, like you don't you don't draw blood, you don't do surgery in the full of the moon. That's still like a modern thing, you know, because why because it's like you're gonna you're gonna have a heart time controlling blood loss. So even even back then it's it was I think something that was quietly done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, like just even recently maybe just coincidental people have covered on the show, like I think Tycho Brahe and Kepler and I be honest, like they old I think at some point got paid by like you know, kings are powerful people just to do hard like to do charts.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like almost the way that they they pedal that ship like as a way of like making money in between, I guess doing things.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like kind of side almost.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the Habsburgs, I think they both worked for them.
Speaker 4: Tycho Brahi had two castles that he built specifically for the observations, and the entire things were engineered for that purpose. So this was major operations going on back then with just normal I mean, I don't think he even had the telescope e there, so this was just standard observation with the start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, him and his drunk drunken milk.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: It was another interesting thing about him too.
Speaker 1: They do speculate that they think his flower gardens are even planted planet and like planetary uh like everything that would go along I guess with Mars would be in the same area, or Jupiter would be in the same area, like he planted all those things like separately to go along with each other. I was like, that's what I That's what I came across when I was covering him. Yeah, yeah, he was, and he was really big into the Chinction ship. He provided health for everybody on that fucking island.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I like his cosmology. I mean I think he really did an improvement on the ptolemaic thing by making Venus and mercury go around the Sun, you know, because they have you know that that's a better explanation of than than uh, you know, the epicircles and deference and things like that. That told me we had to explain those those inferior planets and their retrogradations and stuff like that. But yeah, I love the ticonic cosmology. And Ike and I have talked about this a ton, and it's you know, it's a charge that many anti astrologers level at astrology is that it's geocentric. They say it's geocentric, so it's an outmoded cosmology, it's you know, but that's astrology. We use the word georeferential. It's georeferential because the Earth is the reference point from which human beings survey the cosmos. The Earth is the locus of human consciousness. It's astrology is an earthly art that we apply to the cosmos. So we live on the Earth. It's our perspective, and you know, it makes sense to think of the Earth as being this stationary central object. So one little thought, kind of thought exercise for this would be, imagine you're looking at our Solar system from celestial north. You're out in space and you're looking down at our Sun and all the planets are orbiting it. Right, take the pin out of the Sun, stick it in the Earth, and leave all the movements exactly the same, and you're totally fine, you know what I mean. That's all you need. You don't need to believe something ridiculous to be an astrologer. You don't need to believe in geocentrism. You need to believe that the Earth is your locus of observation, and you need to consider that both the Earth and the Sun are careening through space at some ungodly miles per hour, right, doesn't matter which one's rotating around which, you know, Just stick the pin in the Earth, leave everything exactly the same, and you're fine. You have tychos you have typos cosmology right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's it's virtually useless, in my opinion, it's virtually useless to adopt any other perspective when you are doing any kind of magic, right, because magic is all about the phenomenology, and so it's like, as as a magician, you need to be in the driver's seat when you're outsourcing sort of the you know, whatever it is, the locus of gravity or whatever, whatever you think it is. You know, I think the main thing was is this idea that when we reallocate the quote unquote center to the sun, it kind of you know, it detracts from the specialness of human beings. It's like, I think, again, that's another modern or postmodern misconception. I think it's a corruption of our thinking that is a product of this everywhere we look, atheistic, reductionist materialism. It doesn't matter if the center of the center of gravity is the sun. Your experience is in your fucking body, in the room you're in, in the town you're in, in the state you're in, the fucking planet you're on. So that does not negate any of that stuff. And again, you know, like like Jamie saying, you don't need to say either or. You got to have two things that have their own domain of authority, right the let's say this, the the phenomenological and the the the the scientific or empirical or the subjective and the objective, respectively. They got to have their own domains of authority if you're going to do this shit, and they have to be in communication with each other. But one shouldn't be trying to stamp the other one out. But particularly when you're when you're working magic, it is useless. Yes, uh, to not adopt a you know that that geocentric drivers or georeferential driver's seat view of the cosmos, because both are true, they're just different kinds of truths.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree with one percent. I also agree that if you're if you're doing Hellenistic, Medieval Renaissance, Elizabethan, whatever, if you're doing any traditional astrology or magic, you at least have to know that cosmological model. You have to know the Aristotelian uh ptolemaic kind of situation of the cosmos. You have to know that the elements are in their natural place in the sublunary sphere, meaning it's pre gravitational, right. They didn't know about gravity. So they had the Earth in the center. They had water on top of the earth. They had air on top of water. They had fire lighter than air. You could see when you drop a pebble into water that the earth sinks. You could see that when you put air in the water, the bubbles rise. You could see that that air is that fire is lighter than air. I mean, that's just the way the elements stratify, or the really the the states of matter, because earth is just solid, water is liquid or you know, uh, air is gaseous, fire is plasmic. That's all so, and then you get the etheric spheres, like I was talking about, incorruptible, unchangeable above the sphere, the sublunary sphere of generation and corruption, and then beyond that you know the odo ad, the any et cetera, these angelic spheres, these noetic sphere, whatever model you're working with metaphysically, because you're beyond the physics at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I one thing that I made a note that I wanted to like right before we started talking, that I wanted to kind of offer to anybody that's trying to understand astrological stuff, because I really feel for the person I did magic for years and I couldn't wrap my head around astrology. I feel for people who can't understand it because specifically because I'm trying to scienceify it, or I was, but this helped me. I don't know how much it'll help everyone, but I'm sure there are some people out there that will be interested in understanding this the basic premise of astrology, like Jamie saying, is not necessarily that there are these astral rays again a substance of sorts. It's more so that everything is interconnected on the level of the blueprint, the level of the metaphysic. And for those of you that need a little bit more of a philosophical or sophistic way of thinking about it, we talk about it in Agrippa, you talk about it in Iamicus. Any kind of of drawing down effluence has to do with this chain of flow, okay, from the divine, through the celestial to the material. Now that implies like proximity, which again there's a truth to that, but there's also this other truth and the other truth which was really elaborated by the Stoics. But I think Platinus, the quote unquote father of neo Platonism, really now that this idea of sympatheia sympathy Okay, what he said, and if you're familiar with the tree of life you'll understand this, the cabalistic tree of life. But he said is that like sympatheia, doesn't the fact that everything is I guess the word he used was emanations, right, pro odos a moving outward and emanation, but he said Platinus specifies because of sympatheia that emanation of the spheres doesn't necessarily happen sequentially. It's just a hierarchical relationship. It's a series of relationships that is happening at the same time. It's the same thing with the lightning flash on the tree of life. Kether and Malkuth are happening at the same time. They just have a hierarchical relationship and this stratification of relationships between them. So I don't know how much that helped. It certainly helped me to kind of not get caught up in like, Okay, I've got this on the one hand, reductive quote unquote empirical model of the way that the cosmos works, and then on the other hand, I've got this like I don't know, German fairy tale. I don't want to have either of those. What was much more satisfying to me and lined up with my phenomenology. The experience of practicing astrological magic is to view everything as having this sympathea right where it's there is relationship to each other, but it's not necessarily that you know, everything is sequential or linear, let's say, right, because then that's how metaphysical causality happens, is that it's not linear.
Speaker 6: Right exactly. Felix for Tuna Rex is asking king of happy fortune is asking Modern astrology compared to ancient astrology, modern using the outer planets or just the original five plus the two luminaries. I think that's worth talking about for a second, just for just on the basic astrological level, Traditional astrology just uses the visible planet Uranus Neptune and Pluto. Urinus was discovered I want to say seventeen eighty one by Herschel, and then later for the I think it was like nineteen thirty or something when they discovered Pluto. But those being invisible planets, the ancients knew nothing of them until telescopes, of course, but because and if you do use them, I never use them. But I don't do a lot of mundane astrology. If I did mundane or worldly astrology talking about current events and things like that, I would absolutely look at the outer planets, the trans Attorneian planets, because they're generational. They have to do more with groups of people and civilizations and stuff. Because they it takes I want to say, two hundred and eighty four years or something like that for Pluto to make a complete orbital cycle. So if you're doing natal astrology or electional astrology or stuff like that, I wouldn't even bother with them they're doing, unless maybe you we have a very partile conjunction, you know, like you're like, you're your Pluto is right on the very degree of your Mars. You might consider it a little bit, and that's just stacking your that's just Mars a little you know, a little like swoll or whatever.
Speaker 4: Jamie, I gotta know what about the asteroids. So we've had people on talking about the significance of the asteroids in their own personal readings and how how accurate the asteroids are when combining them with the other two forms, which then creates sort of like a three locking mechanism, right, So like three terms would be you know, you've got the zodiac on the outside, the planets on the inside, and then a further significator would be the asteroids, which would bring more meaning to the situation. What are you guys' thoughts on that?
Speaker 6: I think, yeah, that could fine tune some things I don't I personally don't work with them. I do some fixed star work, you know, I'd like to consider the fixed stars, but asteroids, I just you know, I just haven't gotten into them. It's not enough, not enough time in the day. I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's funny all of them, all of them are named by the Vatican, right the Vatican are the ones choosing these names for these asteroids that it all comes from really significant Greek myths. So they're not naming this stuff after any of these saints or any of these popes or anything. It's it's really strange if you.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, they're accurate equivocations of these different planets, and their significance in these charts is amazing because you can just plug this stuff right in and start to figure out what did she call it? With some form of like crime astrology, Like that's where the main focus was. I forgot her name, but she was using the asteroids that, yeah, she was getting really really tight predictions on you know, crime astrology. Forensic astrology, that's.
Speaker 1: What you called it.
Speaker 6: I could see that.
Speaker 1: Uh, when you had mentioned something before about like I guess, uh, you have mentioned earlier about like ways of bringing things down into form. I know what you were saying talking about earlier is pre dates the yad Vade formula probably, but would you look at that as like another you know, way of doing that.
Speaker 3: Uh, and you go to hey Vave formula in terms of.
Speaker 1: Like actually using that to bring something down into like you're working or.
Speaker 3: Personally. I uh so this is something that you're probably you're probably referring to the four worlds method of of of of drawing down through the letters of the tetragrammaton. I I gotta be honest with you, I think that. So there's there's two main things that I've learned about astrological practice. You have to it has to take place at a good time, at an appropriate time, kind of like what Matt was saying earlier. But then the other the other piece is and the Pika Trick talks about this right out of the gate, right out of the gate, right this this eleventh century astrological magical book Can talismancy et cetera. It opens up with the really opens up with the first practical pieces in like chapter four or something with the the uh the mentions of the moon. But it mentions multiple times you could do this stuff if you don't believe it. If there's any doubt, it won't work. It won't like the Pika trick says that not me, and but I have found that to be very true, so that those are my requirements really for drawing things down. The other you know, I wouldn't use like a Yodhey vave formula. Just I'm getting disenchanted with with I don't even know if I should say this, but I'm getting disenchanted with kabalistic magic. I'm really reverting much more to nothing wrong with it. There's nothing wrong with it, seriously, it's a very good system. But I'm much more interested in in the Hellenic and Hellenistic. I think it's because my Greek is a lot better than my Hebrew, right, I mean, my my father's from Greece. I can speak the language decently, so I'm much more interested in what's going on there having sort of an ethnic connection to it, I guess a blood connection. But the other thing that I think is important for once you've drawn the thing down, how to how to test if it's actually happened. I think that that's a really important thing as well, developing those methods or having a teacher show you some of those methods to be able to test your work. But those are the three main components for me. It's got to happen at the right time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: You got to have the right materials too, Although Warnock he gives some really really great examples of paper talismans, and I mean the the Daoist magical tradition of talismancy and sigil craft also utilized paper. So but for the most part, I like to have the right materials. The timing is indispensable. Belief assurance, confidence needs to be true, belief needs to be there, and then being able to test my methods. So I don't know that. I guess that doesn't really answer your question, but I wouldn't. I don't really use that method. The only method I've used capitalistically has been you know, the hexagram and Arorita formula to bring things down. But you know, you're you're going through the entire hierarchy. You know, you're when you're when you're doing the hexagram, or you open up the you do lesser hexagram and kind of create the area. Then you you have the targeted greater hexagram, which is facing the constellation or the planet wherever the quarter of the heavens where this planetary you know, effluence is its body is located. And then you you you call in the hierarchy, so you start at the highest divine name and work your way down that's associated with the planetary sphere, all the way down to the spirit. And then it just depends like what what are you trying to do? You know, are you doing the talisman? Do you just want to bathe in the ambiance of the planet. That's the thing too. People do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that now just probably make myself so stupid. But if you talk about the hexagram, that would be more of like the lv X actually than right, or is that the same if you look at them? Yeah, no, absolutely, I mean that that because like that I feel it kind of gives you the idea that if you're invoking you or pulling something down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we call it the chef a in in kabalistic magic. When you're doing you know, the the vibration of the names and then you drop your arms at the side, the chefa is supposed to enter. The one reason I don't recommend the LVX to people is because it's the adept formula of the Golden Dawn it's not the adept formula of the Crolean stuff because he changes, he takes out or moves the position of the crucified and resurrected God. That's not the prime, primary thing. And the Golden Dawn Osiris is the primary thing, the resurrecting God. And the reason why I say that is because it's LVX is a magical formula. So if you are, if you are invoking that formula consistently, what you're not understanding is that it's a formula of death. It's and that's I don't know how much anybody knows about the five equals six of the Golden Dawn. I won't put any spoilers has very much to do with this idea of death and rebirth, and that you know, that initiatory current that you're invoking will will you're asking, you know, put me to death, put you know, lowercase m me to death.
Speaker 1: I use that ship for about four years straight.
Speaker 3: Exactly so so I do. But you know, and it can create a lot of in my experience and in the experience of other Golden Dawn practitioners that I've worked with, it can create a lot of unwanted or or you know, just intense stuff. So again it's another reason why I like, I don't like to really I don't often recommend, even in the private classes I give, I don't often recommend that people pull rituals out of like the Golden Dawn whole cloth. And if you're not working that system, it's.
Speaker 1: A good uh, it's good advice.
Speaker 3: Maybe, you know. I'm sure there's some people that are like, fuck this guy, I did the LVX, I got a car.
Speaker 1: You didn't know that one?
Speaker 2: What the fuck is I doing wrong? Yes? Is there any other questions in the chat that maybe I just wanted to say.
Speaker 5: I appreciated what I said, everything you said about colosting magic and uh correspondences and like utilizing the system of I mean, because I don't have cultural My cultural familiarity with certain things is you know, I don't have like a mix. So it's like for me, it's like I just draw from like what I know, but it's not necessarily because I have like a deep rooted, like blood memory of it.
Speaker 2: But I yeah, I try and I try and do that. But I appreciate what you said.
Speaker 5: Everything that you said, I think it was important to hear. And even the thing about the five and the six is very interesting because there's a the Vodrosova tantra that just talks about He says, like in the tontra, the five or the six arises in the five, but then the six also has to descend back into the five to like do something with it.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, the kind of reminds me of that dialogical relationship.
Speaker 4: Well, go ahead, I was, I was, I was just leaving forward, so I was gonna ask. I was going to ask about origin. So I think a lot of this goes into actual celebration of the birthday itself as being an astrologically significant event, because I see that origin. One of the early Church fathers said that no saints or righteous individuals in the scripture celebrated their birthdays, asserting that such festivities were associated with sinners and pagan practices rather than faithful followers of God.
Speaker 2: So the idea of.
Speaker 4: Having a birthday itself doesn't seem to be rooted in sort of the Abrahamic traditions at all. It's it's like a carryover even after they try to get rid of most of these pagan practices. People didn't want to get rid of their own birthdays and these celebrations having to do with you know, the ancient gods. We've we've sort of left all of those conceptions of the birthday out and just sort of stuck with the date.
Speaker 2: It's kind of interesting, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, if if you're you're talking, well it's because you know, and some people will just attribute this to the Gnostics. But growing up Catholic and in the Orthodox Church, like Greek Orthodox Church, I can tell you, like all forms of older Christianity are are they're not world affirming, Okay, they so they don't the incarnation. The only incarnation that really mattered was was was the birth of Christ and and it's it's it's not necessarily as as as like world denying as some of the Gnostic sects, particularly the Sethianans, right, the Valentinians were not that world denying. They they didn't really think the demiurge was evil. Uh, it's just said that people just we have this bracket term called Gnoscissism that we just throw all this bullshit into and so you can't you don't really get a really good picture of what that was early Christianities we're talking about. But even on the right So here's it's a good example. Platinus, father of Neoplatonism, he wrote a tract, you know, against the Gnostics. The thing is, if you he's he's only arguing with them theologically, How could you think the demiurge is evil? How could you think that but he's not arguing with them. The fact that like, oh yeah, but don't you know, don't indulge anything. I mean, porphyry starts the life of Pythagoras, getting of his biography goes or the life of Platinus, says Platinus seemed to be ashamed to be in a body. I mean, so even even in the pagan practices that we're trying to have this anagogic ascent through various means, we're not. They didn't look very well on at at worldliness. Now that's that's where you get Eamlicus, who says, hey, guys, it's not all about transcendence. There's imminence too, And yeah, there has to be imminence otherwise there's no order and magic doesn't work and nothing works at that point. So I in that sense, I I I it's a very especially for theoretic magician there, it's a very nuanced uh sort of line that you have to that you have to walk. What do you think about that, Jamie, I'm interested.
Speaker 6: I like uh Gregory Palamis's uh uh sort of solution to that. Well, it wasn't totally his, but he did the best sort of articulation of it. I think is uh lusia and energeia, that the essence of God is uh apathetic, it's you know, ineffable, et cetera. We can't know anything about it. You know, we can't define it in any meaningful sense. It's just completely escapes our mentation entirely. But we could know it's or his energies in the world. It's activities in the world. So I think I forget where this started in the in this conversation, but that's where I when when you were talking. That's kind of what I was thinking about near the end, there is uh That's that's one way oh about about going back. So theosis, at least in uh some orthodox circles, theosis is made possible by energeia, by activities in the world. So just let and you know, it sounds very close to the synthemata that are sewn into reality, you know. And uh in fact, a lot of that, you know, as it passes through Pseudodionysius and and others. You know, Amplotonis who was you know, not to mention origin and Clement of Alexandria. How a lot of this makes it into the early Church fathers and and a lot of this, uh, you know, late Platonic, theogical stuff, these ideas, you know, and if you look at icons, for example, they're they're not just you know, icon of carvers. They're they're not just making a painting. These are windows to the noetic realm, you know. These are like these are like real portals sort of you know, metaphysically, So there's there's an intact, you know. I think late Platonism is sort of alive and well, uh and it's it's as hidden as uh as pollomoombay or whatever is in Santa Ria or Catholicism, you know how you know, these uh urubin magical initiatic traditions were hidden under the veneer a finn veneer of Catholic Saints and stuff like that, just so they can you know. I think I think there's a similar sort of mechanism and earlier and similar mechanism with some late Platonic ideas and Christianity, how they're there's sort of Orthodoxy as a aproaching horse for some of that stuff, let's say. And I don't know if that has anything to do with what we were talking about, but I feel like I feel like Energies and Essences was a place we were going.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That could be like a really good title for a new age he like a new age music album. Energies and Essences. It's somebody playing a Tibetan bowl for four hours.
Speaker 1: Exactly, anybody, it's already two hours. I mean, I hate to wrap it up. I guess we have to stop at some point. Did anybody have any questions or anything before?
Speaker 8: Well, I did have a question to go for it, get it off, okay, one moment here I have it written down, So I guess, just whatever you know you want to respond to out of this. But I had several kind of points here I wanted to ask about. And I'm glad I waited because I did hear you mentioned the Porphyry tree, and my understanding is that may have been you know, how we ended up with like the Tree of life suffaro kind of model today with the paths. It seems like it does begin, is that, And then I was going to mention Kersher, who then added the letters to the paths, and then you guys ended up saying it. So that's why I like to wait a lot of times, so it makes more sense when I actually talk about it, I guess.
Speaker 7: But anyway, my question was kind of like.
Speaker 8: Referencing these letters on the paths, and so when we're dealing with the path between Malcouth and Yasode, are we kind of dealing with like the firmament there and these letters that are on those paths there. I was looking at them, and it seems to me that it's like Lamed mem Nunn and Dalette and you guys were talking about windows and doors just a moment ago, even speculatively, But it makes me think of the door in heaven or the portals in heaven through which God would send the waters to flood the earth, or he sends his seed Christ or his prophets, or where you know, our birthdays are kind of celebrated as when we passed through the door of heaven right, and his shepherds like his profits right. So I just was curious if maybe that's what the lunar mansions are all about is maybe it's the door to the mansion, so to speak. And maybe that's why these times are important, because doing something at the wrong time would be like trying to get through the wall of the mansion rather than the door, so to speak. Right, And it makes me think of references christ even made to about how like the way is narrow, you know, so maybe there are importances to take note of.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 7: And then let me see here.
Speaker 8: Oh, I think I mentioned earlier how only the sub loonar can be changed, and so I guess I kind of had a question about whether or not the pip cards is that do they only rest in the domain of Malcouth where they where change can occur, representing the four elements, Yet they don't seem to be important above that, you know?
Speaker 2: So uh?
Speaker 8: And do they represent this four seasons that occur on Malcouth perhaps? So anyway, sorry, I tried to do a good job of threading together my question, thank you.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Jamie wants to tackle the first part of that, but I have ideas about the pips well in the.
Speaker 8: How the porphyry tree. Maybe is that a good diagram of the chain that you guys have talked.
Speaker 3: About Porphyry poor for the thing. I think the thing that people get wrong about Porphyry's tree is that it wasn't It wasn't really Porphyry. It was so Porphyry wrote this introduction because one of his like students or some one of his friends was having a really hard time. Actually it was a Roman like politician having a really hard time understanding Aristotle's categories. Aristotle wrote it that way. So you know, there's that like fabled transaction or that letter between Alexander and Aristotle where he goes, you know, Alexander's expressing disapproval about Aristotle publishing his teachings, and Aristotle goes, I, yes, I have published it, but I also haven't. So it was supposed to be very very rigorous, esoteric. So Porphyry writes this thing called the Isago Gay, the introduction very very I just finished reading it for the second time, like two days ago, and he's showing how Aristotle, you know, uses what is essentially a platonic technique that has developed in the Sophist platonic dialogue. The sofis showing how Aristotle breaks everything down into genus species, different particularity and accident. And so that's why we get the Porphyris tree. It's really Porphyry's kind of pedagogical model of teaching Aristotle. So I'm ultimately the idea is platonic. Yeah, I don't know what the other Yeah, I don't know what what you maybe you want to repeat the part about like the firmament. I didn't know.
Speaker 8: Well, I just found how like on that particular model, how it's evolved from that tree, you know, become what it is now. We kind of have like the sun and the moon and the stars kind of there resonating with the lower paths, you know. And then there's also these letters, And I was wondering if maybe just any insights that maybe came from that, maybe doors and portals into heaven, et cetera. And if the pip cards kind of represented the seasons, the four seasons on Malcouth, you know, like because they don't seem to occur up above it. You said like sub lunar was where all the change occurred, you know. So I was wondering if maybe the pit cards kind of made sense down there on Malcouth.
Speaker 6: Only Well there's there's definitely the arrangement, this standard Golden Dawn arrangement, but there's also uh, you know, I tend to look at Taro sort of cosmically, where you know, you get you get oliph Mam and Sheen, you know, the fool, the hanged Man and judgment right where they're down there elemental, right, so they would be sort of at the bottom. Uh. And then with maybe the uh the operator representing the Earth element because obviously ol of Man machine that's that's air, fire, air, water and fire, so you wouldn't have an Earth there, so maybe the operator is Earth, I think some people sometimes say. But then there's the seven double letter cards. Are the planets the planetary spheres above that from the Moon up to Saturn, and then you're at beina there cobble of you know, in terms of sepharotically, let's say, and then the firmament would be the eighth sphere, which would be Hokma, right, So Hokma I think most people understand to be the firmament. And then beyond that, you know, you'd have kether the crown, which is sort of any attic or no etic I mean, that's how I kind of look at Oh, and then the pip cards. I see them as decans, you know. So you've got like two, three, four, Well, there's a way to lay them out, you know. And there's thirty six of them if you take the aces out, so there's a way to make those. You can make a really nice circle. Uh. With all of this, it's actually a neat little exercise where you use all the cards and uh and you make this cosmic model that emanates from the Earth and the center out to the beyond the any add or up to the any add or the no edic sphere. But but yeah, there's I mean there's tons of stuff you could do with the taro. I mean it's it's really a portable temple. You know, you can orient yourself and and sort of create kind of an axis moon to you. I mean I've used I've used taro in that that sort of capacity before. It's it's really a neat uh, a neat way to sort of cosmologically ground yourself. It's a you can essentially create a magical circle and do all kinds of uh operate. Like if you look in uh solemonic magic, there's always this circle. Sometimes there's a triangle of art and that moves across the perimeter depending on what direction the demon's coming from, et cetera. But it's all cosmological stuff. It's all you know, orientation. So I think the best thing if you're interested in this stuff again, I wouldn't go to Dionfortune or anybody like that. I'd go to Mitch Eliotta, you know, and read something like The Sacred and the Profane, because that's going to straighten you out and cosmologically that's going to give you That's that's the real stuff, you know. Me Eliotta E L I A d that book. I mean top five for me, top five in my life. Yeah, Sacred in the Profane.
Speaker 3: It's up there for me. He gave me words for stuff I didn't I didn't have words for. Yeah. I would just add that the way that I the way that I read the Pips is actually very close to what Jamie was talking about earlier. I I used the taro I I always have, and I didn't realize it till maybe five years ago, but I used the taro very in a very sort of Pythagorean or neo Pythagorean sort of thing. So the PIPS for me, break down into elemental sort of decads like tetractys and uh, you know four of of of these of the suits representing the elements, and they they really if you wanted to group them kabalistically, you could group them as as elemental trees. But a lot of times they're just put into the various cefirot. So if if you wanted to find a place where on the tree of life where all these things go, maybe you're working with the tree of Asaiah.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: If you have that four worlds model of that kind of Jacob's ladder where the four interconnected really five interconnected trees, you have the bottom world Asaiya. And this is kind of what Nick was talking about with the jodey Vave formula. Asaiah would have would have its own tree. It's it's kind of like this fractalizing microcost some macrocosm tree. That's the usefulness of the cabalistic system is that you can do this kind of play with it, And so you'd have a tree of life in Asiah. And then in each one of those sphere at right, Ketter's one, aces Kulkma's two, you know two, Pip ben Us three, three, Pip that's the way, at least I learned it through the Golden Dawn. But it is very pythea agree and and it's one system is not you know right, it's it's if it's right for you, if it's better for you for what you are doing personally. I love the idea of taking those in assigning them to the to the deck ends. I think that's that's brilliant.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, and what I wanted to mention one other thing.
Speaker 8: I also like that you assign kedder to the ace because oftentimes you see the crown appearing there with the suit, but also a yode or a hand kind of gifting out gift giving.
Speaker 7: The element as well, like in a boon kind of way. So I think that's very fitting.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys both. I appreciate that. I think arrows Up had an interesting questions here. Why did Porphyry go against whole sign houses? And what do we think about that? So whole sign houses, in case you don't know, it's the house system, so domains of terrestrial action. It's like, you know, one house might be your body, your physique, your physique, et cetera. The second house would be like your belongings, your movable goods. The third house would be like siblings and short trips, et cetera, all the way around the wheel. The houses are the domains of life in which the zodiacally conditioned planetary sort of essences play out. So she's asking about why did Porfyry go against whole signs because there are the first quadrant house system was Porphyry houses. So whole signs meant that the signs shared cusps with the houses. That the that the cusps of the signs were the same as the cusps of the houses. So that's a lot of people say that's the first house system, that's the old Hellenistic house system. Some people have argued that point, like I forget her name right now, Hodges Hedges, I forget her name, but uh, but Porphyry houses uses the angles, the ascendant, descendant axis, and the mcic axis. I know this is technical stuff, but I'm just trying to answer her question. So and then Porfyry equally divided the angles. He trisected them. So I think he went against that because unless you have angular houses, quadrant houses is what they call them when they're not whole sign Unless you have quadrant houses, that recognize the angles as cusps, then you have no micro macro because the micro is the is how that's projected on the sphere of the earth. So I think it's that's why a number of years ago I switched from whole sign to Portfyry Houses because I like to have the projection of the angles on the earth. I think it finishes the picture actually, instead of just using whole sign where it's like kind of loosey goosey.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: But there's Deborah Holding, That's who made an argument about this. I would read Deborah Holding's Houses and Mansions in the Sky or something that's called Houses and the Castles and the Sky or something like that. It's her house system book. But if you're interested in that, Debra Holding with a U H O U L D I n G. And that's the only question I see remaining in here.
Speaker 2: So thank you.
Speaker 1: That was awesome. Appreciate you answering that, Jamie. Yeah, uh all right, yeah, I think we'll wrap it up. Help you guys hostage looking enough. No, that was an amazing and amazing discussion. I really appreciate it you. I think you really helped also, like for some of my audience, people listening who don't know how detailed this stuff is. I just think you really helped them realize, like, this stuff isn't just spinning around with a crystal on your hand, throwing levender over your shoulder.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: It was a little bit more too that.
Speaker 9: So I do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do that the shadow, but uh, you know, I really appreciate it was a lot of stuff in that that was probably a complete different language to a lot of people listening on an audio Open the Trumps. But yeah, before we wrap it up, people that are remaining headless, would you like to let everybody know what's up with you? And when they can find you're gonna have to immute yourself.
Speaker 2: So there we go preemptively.
Speaker 4: Yeahy, so yeah, you can find me at the Headless Giant on x and on YouTube and on Rumble now, so check me out there.
Speaker 1: Thank you, well, yeah, thank you very much. In the bridge going on, sir.
Speaker 8: It's always a pleasure. Thank you guys so much for joining us. You're being very generous with your time, and I took a lot of notes. I do appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, Rich and Jin the Ninja, thank you so much, boss.
Speaker 5: And I was like, really huge thank you to Jamie, and of course it's always a huge honor to speak to both of you, and I really appreciate it that you feel my questions. It comes from a place of unknowing of the other the Western traditions, and so I may sometimes misarticulated, but I am just looking for comparables or like you know, parallels currents.
Speaker 2: So thank you both so much. I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Also shout out to Matt of course, Matt Murra, Joshua the Branch.
Speaker 2: You did great. I was so proud of you. I was like, oh, he's really been studying.
Speaker 5: And of course my co host for Threshold Saints Solar and also the Grey Lodge and yeah, you can just find me a Threshold Saints just dropped an episode with Greg k Theology Theologia Poetica, so episode eighty one and Spotify and Apple, thank you guys so much, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Amazing honor.
Speaker 1: Nice, thank you for coming on and I really appreciate it. And Jamie, please let everybody know what they can find all your stuff, whatever you like.
Speaker 6: To promote Jamie Paul Lamb at Jamie Paul Lamb dot com. Here I can put it in the chat, but.
Speaker 2: Well no I can't in the private chat.
Speaker 6: I can post it in j A I M A P A U L l A m B dot com and uh, I do astrology. I have some books and and hit me up for Oh. One thing I did want to bring up is I have a service that uh that I think is under you. Oh no, that's wrong, he ai me j A, I emmy like it's like himI. But I have a service where I do the sound of your natal chart in a harmonium improvisation like a five minute MP three. I make a five minute MP three of the sound of your natal chart played on a on a Bellows operated read organ. It's really kind of a cool service that I'm surprised more people don't hit me up about that. It's you hear like through and I use medieval and Renaissance and some antique correspondences to uh two yeah nder that you know, like like the church modes and the planets to notes and the the the signs and stuff like that. So anyway, thanks so much for having me on Nick and head listen everybody and Chin and the branch and ike. Always a pleasure to see you and talk to you, and thanks for everybody who tuned in.
Speaker 1: Oh no, thank you, so I really appreciate you coming on to token with that.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 1: And I Ike, please let everybody know what's over with you where they can fight all your basic work.
Speaker 3: Sure, Ike Baker dot com I K E B A K E R. You've got everything up there, from my podcast episodes to some of the YouTube documentary style presentations that I put up. Also, when you go to my page, you can you can sign up for my I do a newsletter every week every Thursday, more or less every Thursday. It's completely free. If you want, you just go and sign up for it. Throw your email in the uh in in the subscription box there. Also on the right the bottom right hand corner of my sort of like I guess homepage. Uh, there's a little chat widget. Then anything you write in there will come directly to my inbox. Again, you know, I always say, please be nice. Now Jamie's gonna be sending men me send me weird questions like three in the morning. I shouldn't I should have waited until he left. But uh yeah, So if you're interested in in uh, I give private instruction and all sorts of things uh you know, magic, alchemy, philosophy, pachology. I'm a guardian of the Anus and I do group courses too. Right now, I've got one called Music as Magic. We're like dead Center in the middle of it. Uh so, but you can still join if you want to sign up. I did. My last class was called Hermetic Kabala for practitioners and initiates, and the next one is going to be starting in March. It's actually it's called Techniques of Greco Egyptian Theorgy. So I'm taking all the stuff that I did in Egypt a couple of months ago with a group of twenty sort of participants and bringing that practical and theoretical stuff. For anybody that's interested, just hit me up on my web page. You guys are awesome. Thanks for having us on. Thanks for inviting me on too. I really it was a real treat to be able to sit and talk with you guys, and Jamie of course, it just hats off man. You are a brilliant dude, and I love you.
Speaker 1: Love you likewise, no, thank both of youse man. And that was some really great stuff. Like I said before, there was a lot of stuff talked about on here that yeah, a lot of I'm sure I went over a lot of people's heads, but I think it really helped prove a point, like, you know what this shit is kind of you know, it's not It's not as easy or simple as people think it is. I don't think you can be a fucking idiot if you know what you're doing, you know. So again, thank you, gentlemen. I really appreciate it. Everybody in the chat. That's what's up. We got Freda rc Is in there. We got him coming on next Wednesday as well. We got Giorgina Rose coming on at six o'clock and then he got him coming on at nine o'clock for Nochian Magic. So Wednesday's gonna be popping off next week. Uh yeah, So if you guys are listening, take a look out for that. And again, everybody in the chat, there's a lot of people in there. Arrows, thank you for all the questions. It was like you were on the show anyway. I mean, she was one of the members. It was like she was here, but not so thanks. Uh yeah, and until the next one, everybody be well Later