Speaker 1: Five that day.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Minor Compositions. For this week's conversation, we are joined by two comrades who I've known so long since that I cannot actually remember when I met either of you. But it's been a long time. But maybe fifteen twenty years ago, a while ago, right, at least something like that.
Speaker 3: I think more No, not about that, about twenty years ago, I kind of met you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we're joined here by in.
Speaker 3: Fact, in fact, I think it was in Lancaster at some sort of seminar. Yeah, some sort of like super academic not an academic seminar.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I think it was at Leicester.
Speaker 2: It could have been at Leices well, it was an l place and anyways, some l place. But today we're joined by by Kirilburn and Nick Bairu. And I thought it'd be interesting to bring you tube together to have a chat because you for better, for worse, for your sins have both written books about climate change, ecology, crisis, and varying amounts of hope and or doom. So I thought it'd be interesting to sort of bring you to together and have a chat about that and see what we could make of that. So thanks for coming along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having us not to pick the timing and to interject with the gratitude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you have to you have the time your gratitude. Otherwise it seems weird, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I mean I only don't have gratitude. I just have hateful lists.
Speaker 2: Well that's even better. Speaking of hateful lists, all shout out to the recently departed basis of L seven who who who had her own many ship lists to go through. But yeah, so so we have two books here or something Worse and Radical Abundant, which I think are interesting pairing and maybe a way to start thinking through. There might be I think one concept that both of you share and play with in different ways, which is the nature of transition. And I it's interesting because first Nick, I think you start off by the idea that we're already in a transition, but it's kind of a crappy transition and tradition which which isn't going how we want it to go. And I would think in certain ways I think here, I think you share some of that so thedea that we're already in a kind of traditional moment, but it's it's maybe something to be fought over. So can we talk a little bit to start to start off at about that that idea for transition.
Speaker 1: It sounds good. How do you how do you want to how do you want us to get into it? You know you have to do some traffic light control. And because there's two of.
Speaker 2: Us, Oh okay, uh, well you go first, Dick.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like it's a good question, and I think it's it is, at least in my mind, is like three bits to it in terms of how I main transition. And I sort of say three bits because I'm not particularly I'm kind of like an x philosopher in the sense of it, I don't really have a lot of time for the PI the philosophical niceties of the concept of transition itself. Like I kind of tend to think of it in three ways. And the first is that we're in the midst of a sort of unraveling of a particular stable climate state, and it is in a transitional period. We are going through a transitional phase. And the transition the idea of being in a transition, being in a war of transition, at least for me in the beginning, you have to start with that sort of that sort of ecological reality that things are not stable anymore, and that throws up a series of must be academic, it's a novel events and novel sort of contextual and political economic challenges to the whole thing. So the first thing is we're in the middle of a climate transition, and that's a really big atmospheric sense, and there's also the rest of the global environment unraveling as well. But that's kind of the first one. The second one is and I think this is maybe one of the ones whereas more contentious is that actually, honestly, like I understand, there's lots of the traditional sort of environmentalist sort of line that there is no transition happening and we have to decry the lack of action, and then there's no movement and emissions went up last year and et cetera, et cetera. But I think if you take a like a like a sort of a sober reading of the economics, the legislative frameworks, political frameworks, ideas, that sort of whole ensemble, there is an actual change in the regime of capital underway, and like I kind of in the book, I call it the transition economy because it's kind of it's not a final state, but it is one that's being built out with state support in the ruins smoking ruins of neoliberalism. So I kind of mean both an ecological sense and in a yeah, there's an actual change in capitalist organization and regulation underway. And I think the third one, and I think this is maybe like a really just because I'm not a very good philosopher, like a really bad reading of bram scheme, Like there actually is a war of there's not just position in maneuver, there's actually something else. So what do you do when everything else is in flux, everything else is changing, when everything else is sort of in the process of disorganization. I think a period of transition is one where everything becomes immediately political and sometimes very random things become very political, very rapidly. So there's a breakdown in that stable ordering of spheres of culture, economics, politics, because everything, like the most random things can become immediately contestable and political that might take on it.
Speaker 2: So that was like when people say that there is no transition is happening tradition there is understood as being a deliberate, intended plan movement towards to something else. Rather than a thing which is just happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we can get into it later on. Like I think people have misunderstood what the transition climate change is just a means to an end for businesses. It's the objective is to a still economic growth after a really long period of economic stagnation. Like that's the objective, and then like we chip over ourselves to like is it real? Is it not real? Is it really reducing commissions? Is it not? Well, that's not that's not the point. That's kind of like that's it's one of the aims. That's kind of like a secondary aim like it's but it's kind of it's subordinate to the principal aim, which is to drive innovation, investment, the renewal of industries, the development of new contracts, some new kinds of green rent herism. It's like it's it's that's the main bit of it.
Speaker 2: So in that, I mean, tradition is really actually a process that is attempting to reinitiate a process of capital accumulation or capital valorization. Would that would that connect to what you talk about as bullshit abundance?
Speaker 3: It would do. Yeah, But let's stick to transition for That's what I'd say, is because I agree when when it raised the idea that like that there's a couple of crises going on at the same time basically, and so accelerating sort of ecological crisis is one of those two. The other one it's probably more actually, but like the other one would be economic stagnation. I think like that is like this, there's an overlap between those two. You know, obviously they compound each other to one degree or another, because like one of the effects of climate change in particular is just like increasing costs of everything basically just like building, do you know what I mean, which obviously you know, acts as as a form of exacerbates sort of the economic stagnation would perhaps we put it put it that way, basically, I'd probably add something else. So I probably think i'd add like a demographic crisis or something, which is also at the same time. It's not caused by those two, it sort of interacts of them basically, which is like an aging population. It's like a real big problem. And that goes back to that previous book Generation Left. You know, the the future looks different to you depending on how much how long you think you've got of that future yourself basically, and also just because of like you know, the way that the structure contemporarytructure of capitalism means that you know, wealth and assets are you know, generationally dispersed to some degree, which adds a such certain political block, which adds inertia basically to any attempt to try to try to change things in a direction that we'd like them to go in. We'd probably put it something like like that basically, But if we think about economic stagnation and like climate change, they can bound each other. But like you know, and at least at least if the the sort of like raw way you might think of it is that the solutions to those are intentions they sort of put in different directions. What's the what's the solution to economic stagnation, It's increased economic growth. So you can, you know, if you can do a climate an energy source transition, you can try to solve those two things. We seem to have given up on that one basically, and you know, we're just based well, these factions are capital are just going into an accelerationist sort of like you know, let's let's what you have to give up basically when you if you just embrace increased climate change, what you have to give up are like universe, any any potentials that universalists sort of solutions to this, you have like particular exclusionary positions. Basically you have fascism. Basically, that's one of the links to it, to this, I think. But I think that like the failed of the unpleasant capitalist transitions we've got going on, don't exhaust the possibility of what transition can be basically because one of the things, like the transition opens up, it opens up, you know, it opens up a temporal dimension to politics, which means that you can escape from the present basically the eternal present of capitalist and put it something like that. Particularly like it opens up a temporal dimension to like the strategy. Right, So it's like at the minute, we're caught in like a politics which is I have a firefighting I you know, we rush from one crisis to the other with the attempt that we might ameliorate them more likely on the left. Now that leads itself to just like a moralistic politics where you basically just sort of bear witness to each crisis whatever and say, well, I object. And that's because you know the space of possibility in the space of possibility of like you know, social economic and political possibility is always constrained under any particular configuration, but like at the minute, it's incredibly constrained, especially if you want to act on the left, which leads you to fire fighting or moralistic politics, do you know what I mean? And the idea of transition opens up this idea that you can act now within a constrained sense of possibility in order to increase the space of political possibility in the future. And in fact, that you could think of that that as another way of thinking of transition, basically adding a temporal dimension to to politics. And if we thought about transitioning that in that way, we thought about the current conjuncture in that way of like, what are the temple dimensions to this? Like, I think that opens up another way of understanding what the current conjuncture or the current iteration of capitalism is basically and why and why, like you know, any sort of like change towards even decalbonization seems to be so stalled and so difficult. And if we think about like that, the key sort of instruments of contemporary capitalism, apart from data centers, it would be things like you know, like debts, like assetization. By that, I mean like, you know, the tenancy even capitalism, like Thomas Picketty points out, et cetera, towards sweating existing assets rather than creating new assets. But you could also add like like financialized capitalization of new assets, so data centers, et cetera. That all of those are like claims on the future. There are claims on future earnings. And when you claim in those future earnings, you also use structuring the future or you're encumbering the future, as that new Timothy Mitchell book puts it basically, And so that that's that's the ward of transition for me. It's like who the transition is? Who can who can control the future basically, And so like in the in our book, all of that leads us to say, like, you know, the key battleground is over the is over the control over the investment function. What who decides what gets invested in? What of the imperatives that do that, and like what are the forms of like capitalization, et cetera, which allow that which which investment decisions then fulfill, et cetera. Feel that makes sense.
Speaker 2: One of the things I've been really struck by over the past few months or maybe past year, and maybe it shouldn't be surprised at all, but it has been the speed and the thoroughness which the UK Libor Party seems to have a better any sort of pretense to caring about about sustainability or collogy at all, and and it seems to have been basically all net zero targets almost immediately. But it sim the reason maybe maybe I've understand this incorrectly, but since to be part of the reason why that's happened is but how effectively certain right wing forces have frame issues around zero as being almost an involuntary austerity of like, oh, yeah, you're not gonna have Hamburgers or cars, and you want Hamburgers and cars, don't you, So like how could we have net zero? And it seems to be that there's interesting ways in which questions around transition are framed around almost exclusively in these kind of ractory cultural politics, around questions around what you would have to give up in a material sense in order to achieve the world not becoming an uninhabitable healthscape.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm just jumping because like so one of the things, one of the promises I made myself and I wrote when I finished the book. Is because like when you write a book, it's like you do like it's years of work and writing and research, and then the actual writing of the book takes like a absolute shed ton of time. I'm restraining my inner Australian to just lash out into curse words in endless stream, which is just familiar and comfortable to me. But I'm going to accept it up my comfort zone and not be dis really crass. But like, it takes a lot of time, but there's a temptation to park it and put on the shelf. But one of the things I've been trying to do is to continue the research work of the book, and I sort of sort of set up a sub stack where I kept I'm going through little aspects of the book itself over time, and one of the ones that came up one of the things that's come up a lot in the continual research because I live out in Suffolk in the countryside. For listeners who don't know where Suffolk is, Suffolk is imagine nowhere and then go further out somewhere else towards more or nowhere, and it's pretty much there and on the eastern bit, the bumpy, little bumpy bit of the island that's England, the we England's part of the island. And one of the things that's happened here is is it's this is a real sort of battleground, but not a normal battleground. It's it's it used to be a real conservative heartland, but it's now a battleground between the Green Party. It's like, on one hand, who are obsensibly the most left wing party in the UK, sorry, in in England. I'm not going to go speak for the rest of the countries in the our glorious Kingdom and reform on the right. And one of the reasons this a bit of a long winded winding is because they've been trying and I emphasized, trying to use net zero here to generate a new kind of constituency and they're trying to do it in the same they're trying to replicate their playbook around migration, and I get to it in a secondment, it's not working for them. And we saw that last set of local elections and May they had to start rolling back some of their e reetric and that's coming apart at a local level, and there's two parts to it. And perversely, I don't think I like I would have a year ago if you'd said me, why I reformed talk about in net zero? I would have said exactly the same thing. It's about because they want to try to make it turn into a kind of austerity. But when we look at what they're doing, it actually comes down to two things. There's two bits to it. One is is actually how the transition of heavy industry in places like England and Scotland is in the US is playing out. Which is it came with a series of promises. Like we're talking before about it's a change of political economy, it came with a series of promises. It was a series of promises to two men by men about manly industries, about restoring It was essentially as a story of like this is this green trend, this this inflation Reduction Act which is called the IRA, which I love. It's like this all this net zero stuff, it's going to be like we're going to have hard hats and manliness and like banging things and they'll we steal and like belching thrusting machines and they'll be awesome and they'll be jobs, and it was just bullshit. And there's lots of technical reasons why it's bullshit. From electrification more often than not leading to much simpler work processes, saturated global markets, like a lot of the industries across Europe in particular were export orientated, and without you know, if you lose market share in China and India, you don't have any more growth. There's a huge No, there's a lot of factors, but that all of them in the end package don't mean that those promises of net zero became associated with betrayed promises. If you look at the last two elections, the local and the national one, the number one reason people who used to vote for the Labor Party switched to reform was betrayal. So I think it's actually, at least for lots of workers. The selling point is that net zero is a betrayal.
Speaker 2: So could that be so simple as like you promise green steel, but green steel came with less people working in the factory.
Speaker 1: Even worse, and this connects to the second. It it's even worse in that the classic example when I was finishing the book was Tata Steel in Port Talbot up in Wales, it was going to close, it was losing a million, It was losing like a lot of money, like millions, like every day. It was just churning through money. And the Tata Steel the owner went to the UK government said well, if you give us some money to help us change from coal fired blast furnaces to electric arc furnaces. Yeah, we use recycled steel. Steel is the most recycled material on earth. Like, we've got plenty of We've got more scrap steel in the UK than we need for raw material. We'll go green and we'll protect jobs. It will just cost you half a billion quid a third of the cost. And the UK government starma political genius was like, yeah, fucking sold. There's gonna be weird. They're gonna get green steel. Port Talbot was one point five percent of all the UK's emissions carbon emissions, so you know, green win, job win, Like, get in there, fellers. They're now still giving them half a billion quid. Next day they sacked half the workforce. You just don't need as many people. So it's even worse because the betrayal comes not just from jobs not turning up, but because the government's paid for you to lose your job, and now the government technically did protect half the jobs. But that's part of reforms sell, that's part of the is the betrayals of the promises of the green transition. The second bit, in some ways is is more insidious since a hangover from neoliberalism. Like at a local level the earth, there are others sell reforms, others cell around here is that you know you're posing a wind farm, you're posing a solar farm. Net serea is gonna cost you money. There's gonna be load traffic zones, like, there's all the all the lockdown crazy is like climate lockdown is going to trap you in your neighborhood. There's just all this. There was this. There's lots of grassroots campaigns, some of them anti developments, some of them just whack you, but reformers trying to bring them in. They're trying to bring these two constituents together. And the way it works for local campaigners is that there's lots of disquiet. I don't want my field paved over, I don't want pylons, I don't want lots of trucks. Yeah dah, yeah yeah. But it all gets couched if you look at all the leaflets and the websites and the Facebook groups. It's all using that household budget myth that's underpinned the last like thirty years of government. There's only so much money. Governments have to balance their books, just like you have to balance your account book, Like if we spend money on that zero And look, they gave half a billion to that steel company to scrow over the workers. If you if you didn't give them that money, we wouldn't need to do this thing over here. We could fix the potholes in the road, which is the number one reason people vote for reformers potholes and declining high streets. If we didn't spend this money on pylons, we could fix you. We could make sure there was a bank in the village or a post office that would be open. And they've tried to use that neoliberal logic, and it's helped that the government constantly talks about how much money it's spending on green things, thinking this will make greenies happy, environmental it's happy, and it's used trying to use that against zero. So it's a kind of a long winded way, but they're the two things that are operative for reform now. It's important to note that it's not working because half these these you know, these campaigns against wind farms. It's full of Green Party members, local conservation groups and Friends of the Earth members. It's like it's a bunch of people who don't want if you ask them, that we don't want to lose our only green space in our village. So people in London can have fucking supercharged much a lattes and like on their e bios as they zoom around doing like sort of bullshit finance crap, like why do we have to lose our green space for London? That's one of the most common responses. It's also there's already a million jobs in this kind of that are depended on net zero just here. It's it's it's in Lincolnshire, one of the places where reforms got the mayor and the local council. It's like it's one of the biggest sort of drivers of economic growth. It's growing at ten times the rate as a sector of the rest of the economy. So in Zense, reforms really trying to mobilize, betrayal, mobilize this. This is that rant household budget notion of our government spending works and they're really trying, but they're already starting to have to roll back where you get these weird things of counselors, Like now reforms new tactic is to say we're gonna undeclared climate emergencies. We're going to cut net zery spending so we can spend it on flood defenses. That's their new line, is that we need to stop spending money on climate change so we can spend money on climate change.
Speaker 3: Just to emphasize what Nick was saying, there was a report going around today saying that labors sort of declaration they were going to they were going to extend the rose Field oil oil field in the North Sea, that that would they estimate that would that would that would produce twenty seven direct jobs. Yeah, I mean you know, so if you're going to make that the core part of your rejection of of of green politics, do you know what I mean, you may as well like fucking open a open a pet shub, fox shopping, fucking leeds. You know, it's it's preposterous. So that so that does make you sort of think, well why what what what is it? Then? Well, what's going on? It's not a serious economic strategy that there's no economics involved in that. Perhaps it is something to do political positioning, you know that, to try to trap the Green Party in the eco rather than the populist part of their their their their strategy. I don't, I don't know. Basically, I'm going to see how it. So it sort of pans out, I think, is that what you were asking, though.
Speaker 2: I'm not entirely sure were imagine you.
Speaker 1: Point I went off on a reform tangent.
Speaker 2: So I think there are interesting connections there about around battles around basically the shifting nature of common sense and how it applies to ecological issues here, and we were talking about is the way of being reframed as as a sort of a betrayal of certain things people people were promised in a way what I wanted to get to was also sort of bringing tears writing about different notions of abundance, which a way I think you could connect in terms of there was a problem around abundance and jobs, but that didn't happen, and so maybe you talk a little bit but the different ways in your book you talk about sort of varying conceptions of abundance and how that connects to let's say shifts in a kind of common sense or or lack of shifts to common sense.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, I mean, in a way the book was was an attempt. One of the aims of the book was an attempt to sort of sidestep this really stale debate between ecomodernism and a degro of or degro of communism. It's sometimes put in that sort of in that sort of way, which is to seem to go nowhere basically, and so we wanted to use this phrase of abundance radical abundance. We didn't know that a bunch of liberals in the US would also try to seize this frame of abundance to describe the risking of regime. And so yeah, in the book, we sort of make this distinction between bullshit abundance and radical abundance. And we always say that like this bullshit abundance always goes along with is always paired of artificial scarcity. Basically, so you have an abundance of certain things, quite often an abundance of the stuff you don't really need, and like a real artificial scarcity over the real essentials to live in a flourishing life basically, and our definition of bullshit abundance, or how we think bullshit abundance comes about is just be because of you know, the the imperatives and logic upon which investment decisions are made under capitalism, which is, you know, whatever promises to produce the biggest comparative profitability basically is the thing that gets invested in. And we'd say that, you know, the contemporary form or iteration of capitalism, you know, has made real DEALNK actually between between those sort that sort of decision making and like the enrichment of the capitalist class and the satisfaction of like of of working class needs or just or many people's need something like that, there's been an increasing bullshitification or end certification of Cory Doctrue sort of puts it basically, like I can really explain it by explaining so in you know, the book Radical Abundance. I didn't write that on my own. It's written with my two friends Cai Hern and Bertie Russell. And we're involved in like an organization called Abundance, which is like a sort of think tank or whatever however you want to put those sorts of things. But so we've been involved in actual projects where we're trying to get certain things off the ground. Basically, in one of those we got invited to this to a project to think about how you can make or to try to get pharmaceutical production as a commons basically commonly owned and governed pharmaceutical production of medicines, etc. And that that group was like it's a network across France primarily of the pharmaceutical engineers and pharmaceutical workers got often retired. Then health activists and that commons activists, et cetera. But like the the impulse we're getting that together. There were two impulses. One of them was One of them was the experience of the COVID vaccines basically, which were public private partnerships. I. All of the research was done by public come out of the public money, all of the profits went to the private firms. Fither five or six billionaires created in a year because of that. Basically, one of the decisions they made was that they wouldn't generic copies of those vaccines to be producing the global South. That probably killed a couple of million people. So that's a moral imperative to try to think of another way to do it. But the other thing that drove it was this real shortage of common generic drugs right across Western Europe basically and particularly in France, or like paracetamols, massive shorts of paracetamols, and why it's because you know, you can get producing paracetamos is profitable, you get like six percent profits or something like that. But like if you have intellectual property on a medicine and you get sixteen to twenty percent profit, that is the highest comparable profitability. So that's where investment goes, basically, And so you have all of these practices like you know, evergreening drugs, So that's when a company owns the patent on a medicine, but it's coming to the end of the intellectual property period, and so they'd spend billions trying to find a chemical combine which will mirror the effects of the existing medicine. And so basically what you end up is a bullshit abundance of like profits, but a bullshit abundance of of of drugs that do the same thing. We don't need them. If there's one drug that does it, you do you can have that basically, and you have a massive shortage of investment in things that we absolutely desperately need generic drugs, research into new antibiotics, all of these sorts of things. Basically, like and you in the book, we trace that that similar dynamic of artificial scarest in bulshing abundance through like a whole series of sectors. It's just repeated all over the place. Basically. One of the things you might draw from that strategically, especially this idea that there's that there's there's an increase in shitification going on, or there's a withdrawal of provision or a provision which has made so expensive it is basically a withdrawal of provision by capital around essential goods from wider and wider sections of the population. It opens up that sort of prospect, opens up the prospect of alternative ways of address seeing those core material needs basically you know, yeah, through through commonly under governed sort of production methods and all governance methods and these sorts of things.
Speaker 2: Do you think you can use that kind of framework to almost like respond to the way that Nick was talking about for the things at port Talbot. So for instance, rather than being the introduction of green technologies lead to job losses, that's the betrayal being more about like this is more efficient with this production technique, how can we use these product product capacities for other social useful ends rather than it being whether that move being experienced as being loss and sort of community damage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally. I mean, so one of the reasons we've raised this idea of radical abundance is so it's like this, if you're not going to use like comparative profitability to guide investment decisions under current conditions, I don't think you can do that, right, You have to have another mode of like of working out what you can invest in. Basically, so that's a form of various forms of planning, and we would like democratic planning, and that would be like people getting together and then trying to understand what they are deliberating upon, what their actual needs are, et cetera, in the process of negotiation through sort of like various levels of hierarchy of you know, nested sort of decision making structures so that you also encolude like wider society. And then you also have to include you know, non human nature, et cetera. You know that that is the way that's a precondition for like radical abundance, right, And so it's a little bit like this we cannot afford anymore. We cannot afford to indulge capitalism's bullshit abundance, basic and all waste that goes along with that base. We need to, you know, under conditions, we need to address resources as directly as possible to human and non human need. Basically, it's like an imperative, So that means, like, you know, it's not a question of like do we want more or do we want less? Right, if you want growth, you have to answer this question like, well, growth of what? Who decides what that growth is going to be? What imperatives are, make a structuring those decisions. Except if you want abundance or abundance of what and who decides? Basically that's like the core problem of the contemporary society. I think m.
Speaker 2: Kind of reminds me of some things proposed by our mutual friend Massive mood and jealous and the way he talks about value struggles right where we're talking about a struggle over actually what is considered to be a value in how you measure it and understand that. And it's almost like I think, in some ways both of your phramings, a better nocial tradition is a form of value struggle over how you measure consider what's important and how that understood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but you know it doesn't have to it doesn't have to start at that really high level. If you're talking about like a pharmaceutical productions facility in Leon, which is the one that we were biting over for you know, the profits from that we're going to go to you know, an organization we call a Common Association of Common Health Association who then decide how they get how they can invest that, and they can invest it in the local area perhaps, And like so they're having to prioritize what they want. They have to negotiate prioritize what they want, which is another way of saying, what do you value basically, and you negotiate that what you valued, you know what I mean. So that's like a very practical thing. You know, you don't have to you don't have the whole point of like trying to think through transition not as something that happens after the revolution or not as something that happens after the Left government, but that happens now, which I totally you know, which it was just a chord I think with like this idea of a transition war you know, war between different forms of like transition. You know that that those sorts of struggles like value struggles start now, do you know what I mean? You can do that now basically, and they obviously already taking place when people are prioritizing and activity that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Well, part of why introduced it one to go for string is I think one thing I share with both of you is a preference for forms of organizing. They're based upon common space methods, democratic workplace management, community management. But I think one thing you see in a history of sort of cooperative organization, particularly workplaces, is a tendency to be conservative around technological change and prioritize job stability over over innovation and change that is, let's say, ecologically or beneficial in the long term. And that makes me wonder how you sort of balance out the tendency for workplace democracy to want to value security and job security versus these different levels of values in terms of that you also want to balance off. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: It definitely does, And I think but I think this part of the mechanisms, it's it's not just think in terms of how do you make a workplace democratic or how do you make an institution democratic, and in that sense, there was I'm always reminded like a line that Jerdy Dean had in one of her book on neoliberalism. I can't remember the title, and it was, like I remember reading it was to the anti globalization period, and you'd have like endless meetings and lots of consensus driven decision making, all the rest of it. And it occurred while in the broader society like you're basically dealing with a crisis of participation, you know, St. David Mar's ruling the voids. Sort of. That was that period which I was reminded of recently reading hyper Politics, where the nineties was written off entirely as a period where nothing happened, and I was like, that's just not how I remember the nineties. But there was a real there was a like a bifurcation between the silent majority who refused to participate and sort of activists, a global activist subculture that hyper participated. And Jodey's line was, you can't fix a lack of participation by creating new ways for people to participate. There's like a there's there's a there's a there's no way to fix it. There's no way to fix a deficit of democracy through procedural means. But so in that sense, I think there's there's the question of how do you organize in such a way as to facilitate participation in direct direct democracy and decision making wout assuming that everyone's want to get involved. I don't think that's the same. But I think that's a separate problem to the problem of technology and innovation. And the reason I wanted to put them separately was that there's there are tried and true ways of engaging with people, even people who are resistant to participating, ways they think that they feel heard and included. Pros says innovations, and I don't think democratic organizations lack you know. And there's been like we've kind of in the last fifty years gone from this myth of this heroic garage tinkra who more often than not was working class.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: There's this sort of autodidactic sort of idea that you'd gone tinker with things, you'd whole new colors or new kinds of engines and things like that. There was actually like the innovation was a bit of a crank's game. It was kind of like a thing for weirdos to do in their basements or garages, whereas now it's this whole industry that churns out an endless stream of innovations. Whereas innovation is not inherently something people in their workplace were opposed to. In fact, if you give people free reign, or you find ways to organize it or facilitate it towards purposeful ends, it actually there's no incompatibility between feeling secure in your work and participating democratically in the governance workplace and innovative and disruptive cultures. In fact, there was, I mean, there's the obvious thing to reach for as a Lucas plan, But I think a more interesting one is the series of innovation hubs that were organized in Ken Livingstone's Greater London Authority. They actually there were a series of innovation hubs that were working class community hubs where people came to work on innovative solutions to different kinds of technical and social problems. But I think there's I think you can disrupt your own workplace, in your own workplace practices, in your own technologies, but that's and I don't think that's in athema to workplace security. It does also mean that acknowledging the fact that most innovation, I think seventy five percent of innovation is what we call incremental innovation. It's like new flavors of toothpaste and shit like that. That's a big chunk of it. Another big chunk of it, say, like AI is literally just about it's like this another technique for tailor ism, another technique for sort of industrial organization, for de skilling workers, for controlling workers, for surveiling workers. And so if you get rid of those two kinds of innovations and we're just dealing with the residual like ten percent, there's no reason why they can't be compatible with a sense of social and job security and a democracy in a workplace.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, totally, And I mean you know that. So I think you're referring Stephen too like and sort of neoclassical critique and neoclassical economics critique of like co ops is that they would they would spend their increased if they Yeah, they spend profits on or surplus on increasing their own working improving their own working conditions. No bad thing basically should be involved, should be included in any any sort of governance of these sorts of things, they probably do need to be balanced with like wider interests basically, and you know, the solution to that we we we're really interested in this conception of public common partnerships, et cetera, in which you know, which the surpluses of one of of one public common partnership go to sort of like try to capitalize a new one, et cetera. But the whole point of that is to tie chains of these of these sorts of enterprises together basically and then try to tie them into coordinated networks and so like you know, just practically again we can go back to this sort of like this pharmaceutical network in France that one of the one of the organizations involved in that was the UPEN Insulin Network basically, who were like a group of researchers who were basically trying to do trying to work out, like, you know, how you produce insulin at scale without any intellectual property around it basically, so in which case, you know, basically you can really really fucking hurt the big farmer companies basically who you know, particularly in the US, charge incredible amounts for insulin, you know, and you know most innovation is basically public private partnerships. They could be public common partnerships, but most innovation takes place in public through publicly funded whole Marianna Mazacato stuff is all over this sort of stuff. It's like really just common sense these days, you know, the common no makes sense, you know. But the whole point of that is, you know, that could be a partnership, which is a public common partnership, not a public private partnership. Of course, Like there's all sorts of stuff that needs to take place there. You have to reform the structure of higher education. Well I've got good news for you, because British higher education is an absolute fucking free for no. I need to tell you all about that, you know, And you know it's a certain point that has to be reformed as well, do you know what I mean? Yeah, So, like, yeah, my my argument would be this. You know, I'm not like work as co ops, independent workers co ops existing on their own. They're great, They've got all sorts of good things about and them. We've got all sorts of limitations. The point is, you know, we have to use the state to de risk a transition to a green democratic economy, and that means, you know, you have to the state has to be involved in accelerating or de risking the massive expansion of these things and also creating structures upon which they can coordinate network and the population of like localities around them. Are you know, I can can take control over how those surpluses are invested, do you know what I mean? And these aren't This isn't like Pine the sky. This is like we're working with two boroughs in London at the moment to establish this things called popular Assets commissions, which are specifically designed so that local authorities do that. You know, there's a lot of things working, there's a lot of things to work out there, but like you can do this now, and like part of the reason you'd want to do this now is, you know, is because it helps to develop democratic capabilities. Basically, one of the ways to think about this is like we're trying to reverse the neoliberal institutional reform that took place, and you know, one of the one of the spin off effects of neoliberal institutional reform, not even spin off effects. One of the main aims of that was basically to basically insulate decisions, investment decisions from democratic pressure and basically destroy their democracy, like trained people to see themselves as competitive individuals at war of everybody else. You know, we all know that, we've all there, We're all in various states of either have been academics or academics or even academia. You know. That's what That's what the research assessment exercises. You know, all of your companions, all of your your your the people who you work with are now your competitors for scarce resources. They are not your they are not like, you know, the people who share your problems that you can do collective action with. That's a training and anti democracy. The only way to get out of that is to train people in participating on the really really important decisions. So not consultations. Basically, this is it. You have control of the resources, and you're going to what you decide is going to happen. It's fucking important. This is the way to have a massive impact on what happens in your local area. That is something that drives participation. I think you know what I mean. Not an assembly where you where where you just talk for hours and hours, and that is without consequence of decisions. You know, So I think that's one of the the answer to the problem of like the lack of participation is because we've been trained out of democracy and we've been excluded from having any any influence over the key decisions that structure our lives basically, and that's the task is to reverse that.
Speaker 2: So what I'm taking out of that is that the way you deal with sort of competing forms of value are it's not something that that's that that's really worked out in an abstract sense, but rather what are the institutional formations that nudge things into the ways that value gets created and sort of flows back into arrangements where's back into the commons. And when when Nick you said you were going to use Jody's line, I thought you were going to use my favorite Jody line, which which is of course gold and sex doesn't doesn't care if you was it living Brothers.
Speaker 1: Its golden Sex, Goldman Sachs.
Speaker 2: Doesn't care if you raised chickens. And that would be the sort of like the negative version would be, like you could have your little commons based arrangement that's so marginal no one cares about. So if the idea is there has to be a sort of nudging to an acceleration to a shifting of the commons, that's towards building kinds of common based arrangements that are democratically run to engage in socially useful production. Where we have nice, wonderful, wonderful watermelon politics that are great on the outside and red and black on the inside. How are we going to do that? Small, small questions, small questions, No problem, no problem.
Speaker 1: I mean part of the that that line of jourgyes is that gold miss sex very much. Do you care, along with most international financial institutions, if people anywhere outside of the global North had already been totally commodified kept chickens, were any of the means of subsistence. And I think that's like like that the one of the the go to points in the book, and this is raised, I don't name check it explicitly, but it's raised in a review of the book. Is that actually building out autonomous means of social reproduction, building out commons, building out a municipal politics, building out the social economy, like actually, they it's quite it can be. It's not. It's not spectacular. It's not like barricades and bricks and molotovs and sort of like it's not it's not a it's not a main character moment sort of politics, but building out an autonomy from hyper competitive market relations is key to any sort of successful resistance. And it's also like it's in that sense, it's like a it's a I don't mean the first crack Crack capitalism and books Pohn Halloway's like, there's lots in that book I disagree with it, but like the idea that you build down sort of your counterpower, not and not just merely sees existing forms of the state or whatever else that exists, or existing unions or whatever, but actually building out the alternative is really important. And I know that's I mean, that's part of the broad sway that the degrowth mementore or less took on Eric Wright's work on the social economy and real utopias and all that sort of stuff is basically is this bible that here's a roadmap we can build these things out. And it's interesting to me that's sort of like, and this is pure coincidences because I had, I know, I had absolutely no role whatsoever in the revival of municipalis sort of politics, particularly sort of as embody by Mandami in New York. But that's one of the things I talk about the book is that actually you kind of have to inscribe things at a local institutional level. And you know, like I very much like the the idea in Against and Beyond as a as a revolutionary framework, like you have to work within the institutions you have you have, you have to then work against them, and being in the union, having been in the unions forever, like you have to be in the union, you have to be against the union, but you also have to be beyond the union. You have to start building counter institutions. And I think it's the messy reality is that there's no way of getting out of them as the mud. You kind of just have to start building from where you are. And so I think that there's a I think at the municipal scale for me, is one of the it's kind of like it's a like a Goldilocks political situation in a lot of ways, like one you need if you want to have an impact on a state or a region like a nation state, sorry a region. You kind of the idea that one of the lessons from the populist wave in the sort of early twenty tens was without a sort of an organized base, there's almost no point in going straight to the top and seizing the ship of state or whatever it is. As it were, like, you kind of need of an organized base, and to have an organized base, you kind of there's no point to sort of arguing for the party or the union or whatever else. You kind of have to have a project because organizing works through projects. So organizing at a municipal level to seize the means of social reproduction, seize anchor institutions, sort of start to inscribe a positive politics exactly what's cure, what's talking about at a municipal level is a really it gives people a something to do, gives you, It gives you some victories that you can secure, and when you're winning, then you're growing in because that's what that's what people White people join in an organization. It's because they can see that the organization is winning and they think winning is possible. Coming back to the question of the future, and you also start to get some runs on the board to start to build out that counter transition, and then you'll have a chance of seizing bigger institutions. But you kind of need you need, you need a foundational you need a pillar or multiple pillars. And I think at least for me, that the municipal scale is the right scale to start to institute some of those those wins.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it's also like you can look again at what the neoliberals did, you know, they they tried these things, they tried out then their institutional forms in local areas or sub municipal areas, you know, the London Doclar's development corporations, you know, you know specifically like we need to we need to insulate this so that this is an area where democracy doesn't apply. Basically, this is what they said about the London Docklands Development Corporation. And theny try out all of these new institutions like public private partnerships, et cetera. Try more on a local level. What you do your learning there, you know, and then you roll it out around the country. Is like the model that they took. You know, probably gonna have to do the same thing, hopefully do it in various places at the same time, et cetera. On on the on the sort of like the wider concept of like of like counter transitions, et cetera. I quite like the idea of the phrase dual biopower, which is something that Alberto Toscan has sort of used basically, which is, you know, and he's looking around at like successful successful. It's a podcast. You can't see me do an air quote successful social movements you know around the world, not all of you know, some of them we would be more in favor of than others. But like building out that dual bower biopower is you know, one of the ways in which you devel like it's proper power. Basically, when it disrupts the power of capital, the power capital has over us is well the power of investment. So capital strikes, capital flight, et cetera, or you know, proper strikes like you know what I mean, like the trucking strike in Chile they tried to bring down a l NDE before they had to go to a military coup. Do you know what I mean? You know, proper strikes just turn it off off being able to sabotage production. Basically, either we can do it or they can do it. Basically, but before we can get to the stage we can sabotage production. At this moment, to do disruptive work, we need to build a social base, as Nick says, basically, but I do think that like that trying to take over assets, these sorts of things, they also involve like contentious politics. Do you know what I mean? You know, you're trying to you're trying to obstruct particular things, a gentrification plan basically, and you have to use all of the things that we're so familiar with and which give you a slight moment of like main character syndrome, as Nick was saying, you know, like you know, protests, et cetera, blockade all of these sorts of things. Do you know what I mean? Like so each you know, I've got this idea in my head. One way in which the public common partnerships can spread is that one helps to facilitate the next helps to facilitate the next. The self expansive dynamic of the commentary. But each one of those is a new site political struggle basically, which will involve like people coming together decided what they want, but also what they don't want, and then objecting and blockading what they don't want, you know what I mean? Both me and Nick were evolved in thinking about like this idea of the social strike back in the twenty and tens, which is probably like a decade ago now, and we were trying to think through about this of like how do you build the capacity to disrupt thing when we don't have you know, we don't have the same structure of production, but also like the same energy base as we did, do you know what I mean? The real forces of disruption were around well coal basically when coal was like the main energy source. That was when the working class was at its peak power basically, and you had like the you know, the growth of of autonomous working class cultures like in South Wales or I grew up, you know, it faded quite a bit better time I got there. And so now we have to think about well, like we have to think about what are the appropriate means of struggle around the developing energy source, which is renewables, which is probably not disruptive, but perhaps it does lend itself to like decentralized for alternative ownership models basically because it's something which isn't that it doesn't have huge, huge, huge, you know, capital costs. You can do it with small capital cost space, which means that we can access it and the power of capital's control of over investment is weakened because it's more available to like ordinary communities, et cetera. But then we have to they have to develop the social base from which we can then do disruptive actions. And I think you have to start it. You have to do it that way, rather than start with disruption and try to work back to the social base, which probably was the which was the mistake of extinction rebellion on all of the subsequent iterations.
Speaker 2: So we're thinking about ways to develop a kind of popular protagonism at the sort of municipal or local or real regional level. I'm gonna perhaps say something with what might embarrass myselfware telepist comes out at this moment. I think we're we're four or five hours into a Burnham government, so we has that been disappointing yet. I'm sure it's coming by tomorrow. But one thing I do see is that he Burnham seems to be more focused on trying to have more devolution and more regional power. Or could that be a sort of potential opening for attempting to develop more municipalistic forms of popular protagonism in the in the UK? Or is that a kind of trap which you run into and then discover is just the same problems as corbinism, but on a different scale.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, you know, anybody listening to this outside the UK, the UK has got like the one of the most centralized political systems in the world, as in, you know, previous waves of municipal socialism meant that all sort of like tax raising abilities, local tax raising and abilities were taken off, not all, but basically incredibly constrained basically, which means that local authorities they have very little power. They have incredibly constrained budgets because they have to pay for social care, and basically they can't do anything. And like so this is a you know, there's been a wave of new green administrations across London, etc. And that's what they you know, they open the books and it's like, well, what the fuck do we do? And like, you know, my answer to them has been, well, you need to unlock new resources in order to do stuff. The usual way you do unlocked new resources is you get you de risk private capital and give them your assets basically and access capital resources. But there's other resources out there, which is like the energy, knowledge and like activity of local people. Basically, you know, if you want to get things done, you can form the institutions upon which they start to do it. Do you know what, They can even go out and raise their own capital in various ways, you know what I mean. So yeah, even in the most constrained form of like local government we have now, it is possible to do stuff and to do to try to initiate stuff. But like you know, there is that in and againstment beyond that, Nick said, basically it is all about trying to use the state to develop popular protagonism primarily outside the state, forming the institutions upon which popular protagonism can form out side the state. That might well mean assets, public assets being given over to the control of local, local people, local organized communities, these sorts of things. You know, it's the whole Stuart Stuart Hall quote about like you can have a partnership between society and the state. So in fact, this is more interesting than that. He says, as soon as the transition starts, you can have a partnership between society and the state, as long as resources in initiative are always passing from society from the state to society. Basically, an initiative doesn't get stuck with the bureaucracy of the state. He says that, and that's the task. Basically, that's the task I think any of these any form of like municipal politics in the UK, that's the task that they have to do. Basically, whether the whether these new forms of devolution around mayors, et cetera, all sorts of complications around that as it happens. I now know two mayors in London, which is the weird I'd be able to say that, but two friends of mine and mayre's in London. Now you know one of them has no budget and everyone has a small budget. You know that the way this fold rolls out I think will be they'll try to roll this out the Labor Party. I imagine this devolution in a way that maintains maximum control in the Westminster or Number ten North, depending on where Andy Burnham is that week. But they always open up possibilities for like for us to take control over over these new levels of municipal government. I think they always open up some some way in which you can use it against the way, against the purpose for which it was set up, if you know, if you want to put it that way.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like I have heard such a deep will of cynicism, and I think Andy Burnham is going to is just a it's just a nice just know that it's just starmer again. It's just it's like his record in Manchester is actually quite is quite appalling, including he already probably his first promise was to end rough sleeping. He promised exactly the same thing in Manchester and he didn't end rough sleeping, just in case anyone's gonna be shocked and surprised by that news.
Speaker 3: And he's done his best. Neck he's done his best. He's increased the amount of luxury beds in Manchester. It's a shame the homeless can't access them.
Speaker 1: But there's I think there's there's a couple of things so like like I'm not sure if it maybe will afford opportunities, maybe won't. We kind of have to be mindful of that. We also have to then think about what the who would be able to seize those opportunities, because we also have to bear in mind like they've also labored just passed a law changing planning law to basically make impossible to oppose data centers and anything they want to build out. They're going to build out with these new with these changes to planning laws. But I think there's if we're coming back to that question of antagonism building up, alternatively, think there's there's two There's two sort of agents that we can we can think about in terms of classic organizing strategies. The first is actually the people install all this energy infrastructure. So you know, most of the workforce is it's not a manufacturing workforce in this country, it's an installation workforce, where like actually lots of lots of jobs that you know, we'd consider industry increasingly look like basically just assembling pre made parts, or assembling pre made bits of code, or putting together pre made bits of design items. Like almost any sort of like anything that can be serialized has been done. So so now we just have these massive installation and assembly workforces. They go around usually from site to site, putting stuff together, plug and stuff in. Now like that seems like an itinera at workforce, small scale lots of small businesses, et cetera, et cetera. There is a union in Australia called the Electrical Trades Union trade union, so basically electricians people install solar panels like et cetera, et cetera. And they managed to do it an organizing drive and it was just they just used a different model. They actually had had to spend time going from site to site, traveling around, going to where this's like where tradees would hang out, going to where the pubs, to all the different places it makes to unionize that sector. And it's one of the most was when I left one of the most left wing and pro environmental sectors because almost all their work was doing like green energy installation work, so of course they had a massive interest in it. All that's to say it just because it's an installation workforce, there are challenges to organizing it, but doesn't mean it can't be organized. And I think that there's one of the institutions we have to be in against and beyond other unions that we have, because our unions are pretty shit. And you know the fact that gmbing United, the two of the three biggest unions in England, came out for more oil and gas exploration, even though it's a fraction of their membership and against the interest of most of their memberships. That's kind of the that's part of the course. We've all, like anyone who's been in the union knows that how much of benefit it is just to get them to defend your intro led alone go anywhere further, like like unions whenever, Like if every time I encounter my own union bureaucracy makes me feel it's the most enraged ultra left I ever get. But I think like nonetheless, like like the state unions are a train of struggle. They're not like a vehicle for our emancipation. There are things we have to like sort of they're like being trapped in like a sleeping bag. You know, when you go camping with your mates, you drink too much night before you wake up, and you sleep bag and you have to fight to get out of it. I kind of feel like that's a metaphor for my life in unions. But like we have to make them the vehicles that we want to do the things we need, and organizing that actual installation workforce is definitely a part of it. One of the vehicles that we can use positively for that is it comes at the other end, is like once you've installed them, like you're dealing with a distributed energy generation system, someone has to own the means of energy production in the instance and there are two interesting aspects to that one around here again like one of the things that some green putty member we're doing. We're going from it's like parish to parish, village to village, town to town and trying to organize community energy cooperatives and then networking them. So there you're using party infrastructure to create a network of energy community energy projects. Which again it's that's quite like, that's not it's not thrilling. It's not like, oh, I'm going to my community co op meeting, energy co op meeting and shoesday night. It's going to be a rage that this is awesome. It's like back doing you know, raves and fields back when I was twenty one, like getting bumps from some of the rando and the back of a's trashed out car. Like, it's not, it's not that, but it's critical work to try to organize that necessarily so you can you can also organize the producers, which is it's politically. It then opens up some interesting questions around well, what do we consider the popular classes, because that's kind of a bit petty bourgeois. Really, isn't it like sort of running your own sort of co op as a producer or worse you could do Like in Australia, what they've got is there are now so much is so much rooftop solar where every single house is an energy station that the only way of dealing with it is that they're now bringing a law it'll be complete by October that every Australian as long as you have a smart mate, it gets three hours of free electricity every single day. And that's that's not even a radical claim. It's just there's an excess of energy. So they have to get rid of it somehow. They have to get rid of it during peak production. So they're saying, if you if you use it during peak productions, say one to four every three so please just plug in whatever crap you have and get it done at that point in time. So but again we're dealing with millions of petty producers. And so there's the one is that there's that space, that organizing space that exists for a competent organizing union, which the Left would feel very comfortable with. Then actually have these two sort of community based generation, individual based generation that offers some really interesting or afford some really interesting possibility, like in Australia, like they have negative energy prices and yeah, there's a sort of Bloomberg was complaining, Oh, no one wants to invest in the Spanish renewable sector because there's negative prices, there's no return. I'm like, well, the way they dealt with that in Australia is that they basically they're just going to give it away for free, and then the government itself is having to convince all these small petty producers that that's part of how everybody wins. And there so there's like that was and that was done by like a right wing labor government. That wasn't done by a radical eco populist party. But I think there are there are two spaces where we can definitely drive for drive forward a different kind of agenda. One is probably far more comfortable for the self identity of the left, but another one kind of means we have to venture into questions of class composition, changing class composition, what does it mean to engage with petty producers and small owners. But as a as a potentially uh progressive or even radical social agent, I.
Speaker 3: Think that like you're right to bring up like class composition berfectly and like you know, there's a technical composition, and there's a political composition. Basic the political composition is a project like I think exactly like if you're if you're, if you were pulling people into like why why the petty booge wise like this politically ambitious, ambiguous class and it's cletarly ambiguous because they face you know, they're they they're small sort of like this, but they face the world of small individual units of capital basically usually not capitalist as in usually not trying to grow into something big, but just trying to survive. Basically classic anxious subjectivity, you know, a classic base for like fascism and like what well, what what happens when you pull all those people into uh you collectivize a particular part of their fixed capital basically, you know, they're drawn into the democratic deliberation over you know, essential part of their work. All of a sudden, they're not facing the world as an individual separated from over the else in competition. They are faced facing the world from the perspective a collective capital, basically a collective ownership, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: With farmers all the time, like the weeperwards, what they are is like the co opse for like for petty farm producers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but like you know, basically it's a way of intervening by creating those sorts of institutions whereby they can come together and collective. Like farmers should be able to collectivize their fixed capital costs in order to be to not be lost bleat makers anymore. That was one of the proposals we make in the book basically, and like that that what that would mean was that farmers would then have to and you know, the other propos in the book is that there should be a movement from industrial agriculture to to agreen ecological agriculture, and that that is a period that transition needs to be derisked because as periods when you're not going to earn money. And the way you would do that is to have people collectivize their income stream, so that one farm is subsidizing another as they move through that transition process, etc. But like the political composition effect of that is, all of a sudden, they're not individuals or individual families. They having to think about, like you know, the world through collective problems from the point of view of collective property. Basically the same of like the same of like you know, the Ward's Corner Latin Village Market in Tottenham, which is one of the projects were involved in creating a public common partnership. They're small stallholders, lots of them, like you know from Latin America, et cetera. You know, classic petty bourgeois you would think. But all of a sudden, now they're collectively managing their market, neglective managing you know, the building that it's in, and they're taking part in deliberations upond which how to use that investment to try to improve the local area. So the negotiations of everybody are all of a sudden they are democratic subjects and not individual fraction parts of capital. Basically, that doesn't solve all problems, but it adds an element where buy that the political composition of that the petty boucheoise is self employed, et cetera. You know, it's changed, basically, and I think that's you know, class is not something that's fixed, it's not something that's given. It's it's a project basically that we have to work on.
Speaker 2: And I think that that sort of in some ways it brings us back to where we started, which is almost like the project of sort of like shifting sense common sense through institutional forms in moments of transition. How you do that rather than that that that shift being opposed upon you and ending up with to use someone's phrase or something worse.
Speaker 1: See what he did there?
Speaker 3: Nice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I think that might be a good point to get to. So I just want to say thank you both for coming along. That was super interesting, and for folks listening, I would suggest you pick up a copy of both Nick and Keir's book. So not not just here, it's also Kir and Bertie and Hi Guy's book which is available from Versaill and Pluto, who are good comrades. So thanks for coming along, Thanks for having seven
Speaker 1: H