Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Richard.
Speaker 2: Well, good morning, good morning on a great day for gardening. Appreciate you joining me on the garden Line this morning. This is a calling show, so this time I'm just gonna give you the number right up front. I usually think of it somewhere half way through the first second, but seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r GENI side to write that mot a sticker, put it on your phone on the back side. You know where a little pop out button is, uh refrigerator. You can tattoo it on your forearm, but I don't. I don't think we got anybody that dedicated to going in the garden line. But you're welcome to seven one three two one two k t r H. I'm your host, Skip Richter. And why am I here? Well, I'm here because I want you to have more fun gardening, and I want you to guard your gardens to be more bountiful, and I want them to be more beautiful. I feel like you know that's what you want too, so let's figure out how to make that happen. Guarding is not rocket science, you know. One thing about biology, about plant science, about horticulture is everything is responding to certain things going on around it. For example, a plant gets sunlight on the leaves, carbohydrates hydrates start to get made, and that plant gets healthy and grows and blooms and fruits and does all the things you wanted to do. Good moisture in the soil allows the nutrients to move into the roots so the plant can grow and make blooms and fruit and growth and beauty and everything you want. You see what I'm saying. It's simple stuff. It's like how much sunlight does a plant want? How consistent does the moisture need to be? Does it really require good drainage and insures? Almost always yes, not always, but usually yes. You know, what are the nutrients and the pH that the plant likes, And as we get plants those things they respond in the way they're programmed to do, and we end up enjoying that beautiful landscape. You know, everyone, I've heard many times people say, my grandma, she could stick a pencil in the ground and it would grow a pine tree, you know, stuff like that. Well, grandma was good at gardening. Ba's just because Grandma knew what to do. She doesn't have a green thumb. There are no green thumbs. And as a result, you just got to figure out how to inform your thumb. Because when you inform your thumb, it makes your excuse me, when you inform your thumb, it makes it greener. That is as simple as it gets, just as if it's ABC's right. And that's what we're going to work on today. We're going to help you have success by giving you some good information to get you off to a good start. You've heard me talk about quality home before. Quality home products of Texas are. They are the makers of the Generatic Generac automatic standby generator. Those sit outside your house, power goes off, they come on. You didn't even have to get out of the lazy boy and move over to the outside to fire something up. They do it for you. And there are quality products and that is why quality carries them. You know, quality is a place where over seventy seven thousand satisfied customers, fourteen thousand and five star reviews. We've got like eight times. They won the Better Business bureaus Most prestigious award. What this this year they won the Nextdoor app the Neighborhood fave outstanding service and products. It's Quality tx dot com. That is a website seven one three Quality qualitytx dot com. This is their thirty fifth anniversary. You know, this company's been built on trust, transparency and good good service. A family owned business dedicated to make a difference here in the community. You know, they don't know it locally to food banks, funding schools, providing COVID relief, provide funding for clean water. Globally. Really, they continue their promise of keeping Houston powered up with these quality genera generators. And there's a reason that Quality customers love them and come back, and that is because of the service that they get there Quality tx dot com or give them a call seven to one to three Quality. We're going to go to Southwest Houston this morning, first thing and talk to Alicia. Hello, Alicia, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 4: You doing okay, Skiff?
Speaker 2: I am doing really really well. You know, I used to not be a morning person, and I just kind of get excited about getting up in morning to do this. So I'm doing great. Thank you for asking.
Speaker 5: Well, I have a cat with a big fat mouth when she's hungry.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, Okay.
Speaker 5: My question is I bought it to made a plane at southwest on this and it, I know, it was late in the season, grew kind of tall, and it blew a couple of times, and then I noticed the leaves were curling up and turning a little brown, and said, what's going on? So I noticed that there was some kind of looks like a spider web over the lea. So I said, oh, the of a book, but I didn't know what. So I pulled off most of the leaves that looked like they were dried up and infective, like the side sprut leaves, and I sprayed it within sicknessidals. So it came webbing, came back and start curling up again. So I did any gain, And now it really didn't look good. So what should I have done?
Speaker 2: What is that? I think you're seeing spider mites. You know, a spider could make a web on your tomato, but that would just be to catch bugs. But spider mites form a webbing. And you see that some of what you're describing. Get a white sheet of paper, like typing paper, and put it underneath a leaf that's losing some color and whatnot, and take your thumb forefinger just thump that leaf really hard and look at the paper and if you see little tiny specks kind of reddish brown that are moving around real slow, that's spider mites. And if that's the case at this point in the season, I don't think i'd do anything. You know, we're getting close enough to when we could have a frost that I don't think there's a lot of recovery growth, setting fruit and ripening fruit that can happen between now and then. So I would take a strong blast of water with the hose and on the end of a gun, on the end of a garden hose, and I would just blast those things, especially pointing upward. If you find the spider mites next year, we can talk about other things to do if that starts to show up.
Speaker 5: Well, the insect thats up didn't really do any do a thing.
Speaker 2: Well, if you catch them early with it, it does before they make all that webbing, which kind of keeps the soap mist off of them.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: I put it in a pot where I could pull it in and take care of it for the winter and of meat. Okay, but it's not going to It's on its way out right now. But thank you for the information. I'm giving enough.
Speaker 2: Thanks, But check for those mites like I described with the piece of paper right now, because that way, at least you know what you're looking for next year. You know, you recognize the symptom and you know what they look like, so you can do that same check next year if things start to look a little off. Hey, I appreciate you call Alicia. Thanks for calling.
Speaker 3: Blast day.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, you bet, take care, bye bye. All right, time for me to take a little break. I'll be right back, folks. All right, we're back, folks, back here on Guardline. Thanks for listening in. I appreciate that. I hope you've got you a cup of coffee and at least one I open. We've got gardening to talk about today. First of all, I had a great time yesterday out at Katie A's store on Pinoak, and I think everybody that came out we had a lot of different questions, and which is I just enjoy that because every question is because somebody is trying to be a better gardener. They're trying to have success, trying to fix a problem. They're trying to you see what I'm saying, And it's just fun. Helping people, and we did a lot of that out there. Thanks for the folks at night Fross for donating. We have a lot of bags of nitro Fross fertilizers out too. That was fun. By the way, the night Frost right now. You know, the thing I'm talking about, the nitroposs question or tip of the season really is their three step program because there's three things that are happening in our lawns. Number One, your lawn is taking up nutrients to try to help itself get stronger going into winter. Number Two, the weeds that sprout that become big problems in the spring. They're sprouting now and you need to stop that. Don't let them do that. Wherever sunlight hits a soil, nature plants of weeds. So if your lawn is thin, if your lawn has been struggling, it just you know, isn't super super dense, you're gonna have weeds pop up. That's how that works. Third third step is the eagle to our fund to side. Third thing happening in lawns is that brown now called large patch or take all root rud also are infecting lawns at this time of the year. So if you are gonna take care of those three things you need the three step programs. So that's the Fall Special Winter Riser fertilizer. It's a brown bag that is for this time of year. It's the fertilizer you put on in the fall to help the plant get into winter stronger, come out of winter stronger. Number two barricade for barricade herbicide. You put it down and it prevents weed seeds from sprouting and establishing. It doesn't kill an existing weed, but clover, handbit, chickweed, carpet weed, cleavers, just on and on, all those cool season weeds. They're going to be a mess in the spring. You'll be calling guarden line. They'll be you know, big knee high weeds in my lawn. And where do they come from? Well, they started now, They started right now, and you can prevent that with barricade. Third is eagle third fungry side. You put it down. It goes in the a grass plant and when a disease tries to attack, it's there to protect it. Okay, Three steps Fall Special wind Riser, Nitrofist, Barricade, Eagle turf fungicide. Just get all three. Put them all down on the same day. Just put down one, come back, put down the next one, come back, load up, put down the third one. Then water everything in with a half inch of water, about a half inch of irrigation, and that'll move them all down to the soil. None of those three do you any good until you get them down into the soil with water. I want to make that point again. None of those three are going to help you. They all work, but they're not going to help you until you water them in with a half inch of water. When they get in the soil, that's where they do everything they do, even the fungicide. It's taken up by the roots and the plant gets it internally so that it can fight off disease. All right, I hope that's clear. But thanks again to Katie A. S Hardware for having us out. We had a really good time. You were listening to garden Line. Our phone number is seven to one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt RH. You know, falls the time to plant, and you need to be getting your beds ready if they're not already ready, so you can get this planting done. But it's also a good time to get ready for spring. You know, we get into winter and early spring and maybe we've got a whole bunch of rain and stuff, and you can't work the soil when it's sop and wet. So why not get it ready now for even your spring garden beds that you're building, that you're planning on putting in vegetables, flowers, herbs, whatever. Landscaper's prides got you covered. They have healthy soil composts. It's made from one hundred percent locally sourced materials. They've got the mushroom compost. It's made from really cool stuff. It's clean local mushroom substrate. Okay, so here, here's how this works. They grow mushrooms in this super rich substrate of decomposing organic matter, and mushrooms like that and plants like that too. When they're done growing the mushrooms, they don't grow another crop in it. They just move it out and they get some fresh stuff to start over again. Well, that stuff they moved out is like black gold. I wish I could show you a picture I took in Conrod, Texas of a vacant builders lot that was the bulldozers had scraped anything close to soil off of it. And it was a flat, hard mess, which is great for putting a building on, but not a garden in We took mushroom compost who spread it out there. We took a tractor disk and just disked it in like you're plowing a field. Because this is a big lot. We're putting in a test garden. And when we threw a rye grass seat on it, it rained. And when it came up it was night and I mean one foot away on one side there's like yellow spinly rye grass barely growing a foot away in the mushroom compost mixed soil. The rye grass is emerald green, you know, like foot and a half high. Flopping over to it was just night and day. That's how mushroom compost is and landscaper sprid mushroom compost first, just really, first of all, is this super quality stuff? So go to Landscaperspride dot com. Find the lot of details there, find the store locator. I told you about two products, there's like two dozen plus products, and find their social media links and follow them. It's easy to find landscapers Pride around town. Again, Landscaperspride dot com. Won't you grow something this afternoon, I'm gonna get outside. I've got a few things to kind of catch up on. Just I've got several projects that I'm getting ready for. And I noticed that I'm on this long term effort to shut down nutsedge everywhere on our property. And it is not a one and done thing like a lot of weeds can be, but non nut sets. And if you want more, if you have a nutsedge issue and you want to find out how to control it, go to my website gardening with Skip dot com. That's me gardening with Skip dot com and look for the nuts edge information. Read the one about an in depth look, because I'll help you understand it. Anyway. I've got nutsedge that I treated according to my schedule information up there, I treated it probably three weeks ago and it is now really yellowing and starting to go downhill, so very slow process when you use the good stuff. But in that same bed, there's some green spouts coming up. Those are nuts that didn't show their face when I did my last treatment, and now they are. Guess what's going to happen to those? I'm going to use my weed wiper, which if you want to build you one. Go to my website. It's free. It's on there, and I use my weed wiper, put the good products on it and wipe them right on the nuts edge. I mean it takes it probably takes me maybe a cup of mixed up herbicide for nuts edge when I do this, because I'm going all over with the weed wiper. I'm not spraying gallons of this stuff all around. So anyway, it works really well, and I'll hit it again and it will never knock on wood short of me getting ill, it will never have a chance to get more than about five leaves on it before I hit it again, and I will win. I already am winning. I've taken a huge infestation in some areas. They are down to just you know here, here's one sprout tries to come up, and there's one over there that tries to come up. And so this isn't going to be long before it's over. Can't wait. Having fun doing it too. By the way, let's go to Alvin and talk to Dandy this morning. Hey Danny, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Schip. I was given some alavera and I need help. I need you to educate me on the ways to go about it. And also what will be the difference between the alavera that I've heard and then the aloe barbet insance barberat distance? Is that a different one? It's one of them from Australia, is one of them from here? That's one thing, And then another thing is what type of soil to use it? And will it be all right to use it down here so close to the coast where the ground stay damp.
Speaker 2: You can aliver. Yeah, Alabert doesn't want to be in a doesn't want to be in a soggy swamp, but a little bit of water is actually needed. But around here you almost never have to water unless it's in a real small contation exactly.
Speaker 3: But we have flooding down here, and if we have flooding it might be uh seur ford or even half a week or so when we have a hurricane that it would be underwater. So that means I'm thinking I need to I need to elevate it on a high, high piece that won't flood. If I'm right on that, I mean that's.
Speaker 2: Gonna hurt you do, And yeah, well the thing you got to get it up, that's right, You're right right.
Speaker 3: I was given the right I was given these pots, about a half a dozen that had one big one and the little ones in there, and.
Speaker 7: The uh uh.
Speaker 3: Senior citizens that had them, you know, retired. Uh. There were so many ants and there's so many fire that they just let it set there. And they didn't want they didn't want to have the ants the fire ants spread out into the yard, so they gave it to me. So I have enough problem busting the pots and getting the Alberta that looked good. But I don't know a few things.
Speaker 2: About Okay, well, Danny, let me I'll give you the Let me just give you all that alibero growing. Pretty much any soil over grown, a clay soil, it'll grown a sandy soil. I mean, it's pretty forgiving. You want to if you're in a pot, you want to give it a really good soil, maybe a succulent type mix. It's a little bit gritty, a little bit better drained. If it's in the ground, just plant and what you got. It's very tough. It's very easy. I mean you can pull one up, throw it in your truck, drive around for a week or two, and bring it out and stick it in the ground. It'll grow. I mean, those things are very tough, but you want to give it a little good care early on just to kind of help get it going, because your goal is to get it moving fast. And yes, Alivera and aliburbadns a different barbadensis are different species. Okay, so, but most of what people have around here, you know, especially when you're trying to grow it for the benefits in the leaf, the good stuff that for burns and that people even take it ally. Uh, that's Alabera is the one you want to plant for that. But it's not hard to grow. Good sun, good son, good drainage and occasional watering. That's it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, Well I want to know also where I'm digging. It is in sandy soil, the black sandy soil, and there is the grub worms and the little worm that's in there. How can I keep those worms in there without the What we have is a big plague right now? Okay, the little crazy ants, the little crazy ants.
Speaker 2: Go down there, and none of those none of those pests are going to none those pests are going to bother it. I'm gonna have to run here. I'm up against a heartbreak. But the crazy ants won't bother it. Grub worms won't bother alibara. You're good to go. I would I would never think it. I just put in the ground and enjoy it. It's it's.
Speaker 3: It's pretty easy to do that. Yeah, pretty easy to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you Danny so much. I appreciate that, you appreciate the call. In Channing Forest is just a cool place. You know, every time you go there, you find a place that's just got the kinds of plants, the kinds of blaying. I mean, if you're into butterfly gardening, or attracting hummingbirds or growing vegetables or herbs or whatever, you just want beauty. Right now, they got a really really good selection of Chinese fringe trees and red buds and Mexican plums and walter bub vernum and rough leaved dog with all of those bloom Some of those are native too. In Channing Forest is located on FM twenty seven fifty nine, So if you're in Richmond Rosenberg area heading towards sugar Land, it's off to the right twenty seven fifty nine Enchanted Forest. You're going to find everything you're looking for there, including and especially right now, some really beautiful winter color and some awesome fall vegetable and winter vegetable gardening. I'll be right welcome back to guarden Line. We're looking forward to visiting with you and your questions. All you got to do is call seven to one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two ktrh. That perhaps is the easiest way to say it. I talk about self as fertilizer all the time because you can find stuff at Southwest Fertilizer. Yesterday I was out in Katie, Texas, and uh, I'm visiting with a lot of different folks, but someone had perked was looking to build a weed wiper, the one I have on my website, and they had just come from there and with some different products and things, and it was like, okay, wait, you should have grabbed the tool there. They've got the bob has the tools there for building the weed wiper. It's it's act shout. It is is a graber tool with section cups on it, little bolts that hold the section cups on. So I mean, if you are not to do it yourself or at all, you can make this. It is so easy. You know, any of you who grew up with tinker toys. If you could do that, you can make your own weed wiper. Just go go to my website see how to do it, and then run by Southwest. While you're there, you're going to find herbicides, in secticides, fungicides. If you're an organic gardener and you're thinking those are chemicals, well, I would say this Southwest Fertilizer has the biggest selection of organic products of anybody around now. They have everything synthetic, organic, whatever kind of gardening you want to do, they know how to do it, they do. And so you just go in there. You bring them your questions, you bring them your samples, you bring them a picture, You say, what is this? Can you identify it? What do I do about it? How do I deal with it? They'll help you do that. And while you're in there, we're coming up on pruning season. They got a ninety foot wall of tools with lots of different kinds of saws and prunters, and I'm talking about quality brands, not the kind you buy. And next thing you know that you're throwing them in the trash because they're all messed up and they're not working, and because they're cheap, you need to buy something this way. Cheap is expensive. When you're buying a tool, you should buy a good tool. That means buy the most expensive tool you can find. It just means you buy quality and it lasts forever. Isn't that height It is with a lot of different things. You buy a quality product and you take care of it, and it in the long run, you have saved a lot of money that you would have wasted on cheap products. Plus, when it comes to printing tools, those issues with our hands, you know, carpal tunnel and all the ill tennis elbow or all the different things that happens to our joints, that is reduced when you have a good quality tool. It's much much easier to do that. All right, Southwist Fertilizers where you can get all that stuff done. Southwest Fertilizer dot Com. Here's a phone number seven one three six six six seventeen forty four sixty six six one seven four four corner of Business and Renwick been around since nineteen fifty five, and there is a really good reason for that. Have you noticed that your doors are sticking where they used to not stick before? Maybe they did for a while. This summer and then now they're not again, or something like that. That's a sign of movement in the foundation. You'll see it in the form of cracks in the sheet rock inside. You'll see it in the form of cracks in the brick on the outside, sidewalks heaving, driveways that are cracked and heaving. That's all because our soil moves. And when you have that kind of issue, you don't need to put your head in the sind. You need to deal with it. And the way I would strongly recommend you deal with it is fix my slab, foundation, repair tie, and fix my slab. He knows what he's doing. He's been doing this twenty three years, honest fellow. And I like his goals, and that is it's not just a goal, it's what he does. And that is he shows up on time, he prices it fairly, and he fixes it right. I don't care what plumbing, electrical, what kind of work you need done, when't you just like someone who shows up on time, gives you a fair price and fixes it right, and have Tie look at it early on. He may tell you. He may well tell you, well, this isn't enough movement to worry about at this point, or here's some things that he's not going to just like sudden dig up the neighborhood and say at the do all this stuff if you don't need to do it, tell them you're a Guardenline listener. You get a free estimate from Fix my Slab Foundation Repair. Fixmyslab dot com is the website that's easier to remember. Fix myslab dot com. Here's a phone number two eight one two fi five forty nine, forty nine two eight one two fi five four nine four nine. You are listening to garden Line and I let me give you a phone number again here seven one three two one two ktr h seven one three two one two ktr h. So it's kind of quiet first thing in the morning, and then toward the end of the show it gets crazy hectic, and so I always try to get people, Hey, why don't a few of you who would call in at the last minute switch your call in the morning and we can just smooth things out and have time to talk about a lot of different things. I've got a couple of shrubs that I'm going to shrug slash tree that I'm putting in the ground, and I just need to actually be home long enough to get it done. I'll be hopefully getting it done really early this week. But one of them is almond verbina. I love almond verbina. It is a very large shrub and it kind of gangly and stuff. You can share it in trim it just to kind of keep it in bounds. But it produces these spikes of yellow flowers that are just they're kind of like a bottle brush maybe, you know, kind of a long, skinny thing with white flowers up and down it. But the fragrance is unbelievable. And one of the aspects of gardening that I don't think we probably talk about enough is fragrance. You know, we know that we need textures from fine texture to bold textures. We want colors, we want maybe to attract birds or butterflies or bees. You see what I'm saying. There's a lot of aspects of gardening, but fragrance is a huge one. And almond verbina, I mean that is like horticultural crack. It is it is. I love that say. It's like gardenias. If you ever smelled Guardena's almond burbina, is that kind of quality or a fall? What is the butterfly, white butterfly ginger. The fragrance of that, oh, those are so good, and plants offer us a lot of different fragrance. But anyway, I'm gonna put an Alma barbana in and I'm locating it to the south and west of our outdoor patio. And the reason is that's kind of the predominant breeze direction that comes through, and so I want that plant to be what upwind from me. So when the when the breeze comes through that plant, I get to enjoy it sitting there on the patio. Just a couple of ideas, thoughts and strategies. Hey, if you're doing any planning this fall, you need to get some micro grow liquid af That is a maroon looking bottle. One gallon jug of it will go a long long way. It contains eight different quality beneficial microbes. When I say quality microps, what I'm talking about is microbes that are out there working for you, doing a good job. These are things that fight disease that are in this. You can use it as a drench. I would say, you know, do it when you're planning plants. Get those things down there on the roots. He things live in the soil. They're natural in the soil. You can also if you're doing a lawn, well you could put the micro Grow liquid af on a hozin spreader, but I would use the micro Grow bioinoculant on the lawn. Comes in again. I'm a room bag or a jar as a granule that works really really well. Microlife Fertilizer dot com. That's where you find out more about it. Where do you get it? Well, just pretty much everywhere you hear you're talking about places on Guardline, the vast majority of them carry Microlife products. Time for a break here and when I come back, I'll be here with your calls, and that would include Catherine and Pat and Ted. Good to have you with us this morning on a lovely Sunday morning. This afternoons can be a good day to get out and about get some things done. That's my plans. At least. Let's head to Spring, Texas and talk to Catherine and Hello Catherine, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Thank you. I have a coastal bermuda grass that's wandered into a flower bed that's been neglected for several years. Okay, products to use to rid that coastal Bermuda grass.
Speaker 2: There are two products. If you want the easy way, just go to my website Gardening with Skip and look for something that's called herbicides for Skip's weed wiper. Forget the fact about the weed wiper, just that you're going there because it's got a list of herbicides according to plants that they kill. And so if you have a grass, you just go on the list of grass and go across and there'll be three products. Two of them are grass only killers and one kills everything that you spray on. You don't want the one that kills everything you want the two One of them begins with the letters seth like the boy's name, s et h. Another one begins with the letters f l U A Z flu as seth and flu as. Those are the two ingredients. But if you look at my list that I put online, you can see the names of the products that contain seut or that contain flus. And again those are just the start of the name. It's a long, long.
Speaker 6: Word and the products will indicate how long you have to wait to plant.
Speaker 2: Right away, no, no problem, these are grass only. The two I'm telling you to use are grass only killers. So I mean, if you have a rose bush with bermuda grass crawling up through the center of it, you can spray and it won't hurt the rose bush.
Speaker 8: Great, Thank you appreciate your help.
Speaker 2: You Bet, Thank you, Catherine, thank you very much. Appreciate that call. Let's see here. Let's we're going to go up to Baytown now and talk to Pat. Hey, Pat, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Thank good morning, Skip, Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 7: I have been.
Speaker 4: Listening for the past several several weeks. You talk about a nursery that has eighteen pansies on sale for twenty five dollars, but I continue to miss the name of the nursery. And I believe today's the last day Warren.
Speaker 2: It's Warren's Southern Gardens in Kingwood. Warren's Southern Gardens.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 2: And have you ever been there? No, you've been there, Pat. Okay, Well, let me just give you one more quick tip. Then it is on Stone Hollow Drive. That makes it easier. Excuse me, I'm a north Park Drive. North Park Drive is where Warrens is?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: And do they also have the mushroom soil?
Speaker 2: Uh? I think they carry Landscaper's Pride products out there, but I'm not positive of that. You would just need to check it out and see if they had that.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, great, thank.
Speaker 2: You, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it. Okay, go to landscapers, go to landscapers Pride dot Pride dot com and see if Warren's carrious that out there. That's the best way to find out.
Speaker 4: Lauren's on North Park Landscapers. Thank you.
Speaker 2: You bet? All right, good luck, good luck? All right, you bet all right. We're gonna go to San Leon now and talk to Ted.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Hello, hey, good morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: I got my Texas three step down Friday morning, and then I got a three inches of rain Friday and Saturday combined. If you see any problem with.
Speaker 2: All that, well, some of the fertilizer may have may have moved a little further than you want it to down in the soil and stuff. The barricade will tie up fine in the soil, that's not a problem. And the amitic clo bridge kind of in between. I don't think I would redo them though. I think I think I would leave it as is. I think it'll be okay. Okay, I got to start doubling up.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the on the on the Eagle Turf at the front of the bag said it covered five thousand square feet. I've got like three thousand here, and uh the setting it called for on it just said generally Scott's broadcast it called for a five My gosh, that Eagle turf went fast through that, I think, and no way that it would have done five thousand square feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, on it was. I don't know that. There's a lot of different spreaders, a lot of different settings, and it's so confusing for folks. We try to make it as simple as we can. But I would if I were you, I would probably talk to the folks at nine to five and they can guide you a little bit better on different different things and settings for each of their products. Because the particle size on Barricade and the Fall Special and the Eagle Turf, those are different particle size.
Speaker 9: So you yeah, that Eagle turf is tiny, tiny, tiny tiny, and uh yeah, yeah, I think I would have had to have it on like one or so to get five thousand coverage, And Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Get it, I get it. I would I would probably put that out with a little hand turn spreader because.
Speaker 9: Well I tried that dude.
Speaker 10: Man it came out really fast too.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, yeah, but I mean it can I can you overdo that stuff the thunderside?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you you know you can, but I mean it's it's just important to do it at the right rate that they say if you if you waste money and time and in some products you end up with you know, you overdoing it, you have issues. But I think the Eagle chip is not going to be a huge issue. Just uh that's that's pretty much what i'd recommend to you. But glad you're using them, and make sure you, like I said, you got them water down with plenty of water.
Speaker 9: So, uh, you know, do you know if do you know if they sell the Medina Plus in like five gallon burrows or not?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, we'd have to ask the folks at Medina. They do large quantities of a lot of their products because the farmers, especially out there west of San Antonio where they're located, and really farmers all around that do use their products. So they do have large commercial sizes, specifically that size on that product. I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, okay, all right, Well I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks much, all right, Tied, thanks so appreciate that call a lot.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, Heirloom Soils has got this deal going on now. It's the one qbicyard supersack. Now a one qbicyard supersack from Heirloom Soils. Okay, you can get leaf mold compost or the veggie and herb compost. Those are both souper high quality products. You neither one of them for one twenty nine and you get to keep the sack for that whole the one yard bag one twenty nine. Keep the site. It's very very handy. Now you can go get it. They'll set the sack in your truck you know, or your trailer whatever you have, or you can have them delivered it. And now there is a delivery fee if you have them delivered, and there's I think a three sack minimum if they're going to drive across ten buck to somewhere to deliver it. But you just go to rockinmultz dot com slash delivery. I'm gonna say that again, Rock the letter n multch dot com slash delivery. They have a new product called Premium lawn Mix. I was talking to somebody yesterday when I was at Ace Hardware store out there in Katie, Katie Ace or Katie Hardware. The premium lawn mix from airloom soils. It's made with Mason sand. It's got some composts and some bed mix in it. It's very good for prep preparing for sad planting. A lot of people brought me pictures they're going to be replacing, and you spread some premium lawn mix out. It's only seventy four dollars for a one qb yard sack of that. But they have a lot of things available by sack, including that lawn mix, the cedar malts, the hardwood mault, pine bark, a real cool, cool thing called black Star gravel. It's gorgeous and rainbow gravel too, all from heirloom soils. And you take advantage of that. Well here music plan because that means they need to be quiet about time to stop. Hey, guess where I'm going to be next Saturday. This is the final appearance I'll do this season. Sometime next spring for I'll be doing appearances again. I'm going to go out to Wadbirds Unlimited in Kingwood, Long Birds Unlimited in Kingwood now. It's located where Kingwood Drive and Westlake Houston Parkway come together. There's a big old HB right there on the corner. For those of you out in that area, wild Birds Unlimited, Kingwood on the corner of Kingwood Drive and West Lake Houston Parkway, just right next to that big old h B that they've got out there. Come out and see me. We're gonna have lots of giveaways again as we always do. Uh, and I'll be there to answer your gardening questions.
Speaker 1: Welcome to KTRH Garden Line with scamp Rick.
Speaker 2: Heard all right, folks, we are back. We are back, and we got plenty of gardening talk to do today. If you'd like to give me a call. Seven one three two one two kt RH seven one three two one two kat r H. If you have been out to Nelson Water Gardens, you need to go check it out. If you've never been there, you gotta go. I mean, you got to see this place. It is awesome. Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens in Katie, Texas. You head out to Katie, you turn north on Katie Fort Ben Road and it's just a little ways down the road there on the right hand side and when you walk in, first of all, you're gonna walk through the store itself. As you go in house playing, it's a beautiful collection of gorgeous house plants. I mean it is not just plain old green in there. They have some of the most beautiful house plants I've ever seen. Love that love that place quality plants. You walk back through the back out the back door into the garden center and you see plants everywhere. They have every kind of thing that's seasonal for whatever season we're in right now. You're going to find good fall color planting. Of course, you're going to find shrubs and trees and perennials and all sorts of things. Go a little bit further back and you're going to be into where the water gardens are, and that's where you see beautiful, disappearing fountains with sound that is so calming. I mean it is like it is therapy really to hear running water. And they've been doing that for a long time. You know, they're nationally famous on water water gardening. Do you need plants for water gardens? Do you need fish for water gardens? Do you want to build a water garden yourself? Do you want to have them do it. You can choose however you want it. But the main thing is take a friend, go out there and see this destination garden center, and take some time so you can just sit and take it all in and enjoy it. And I'll bet you you feel just like I do. Every time I go out there. It's like, Okay, I need I need another water feature. This is this is creating a corner of eden in my backyard that I just got to have. And that's how it is out there. Nelson Watergardens and Katie there. Nelsonwatergardens dot com is the website. If you'd like to go check it out, and I hope you will. I talk about it a lot, but it is an outstanding place and definitely a destination to go visit. You are listening to guarden Line the phone number seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four if you have not fertilized or done a preventative week control on your lawn and you would like to and you'd like to just get it done in one step. Turf Star by Nelson Carboload. Turf Star carbo Load produced by Nelson Fertilizer. Nelson plant food is the one you you're going to want to do for that because it provides you with a perfect blend of nutrients forefall getting your lawn. The reason they call it carbo load is because the whole goal of fall fertilizing is to help that plant produce carbohydrates, and that takes some nutrition, and it especially takes some potassium with the little nitrogen to build the best. Think of it as ana freeze carbohydrate or ana freeze and a plant. So they help it be more cold hardy like your grass. They also strengthen it so when it comes out in the spring, it's using stored energy. It's not using what the roots are taking out first thing in the spring. And so your fall fertilization makes your spring growth better and it just comes out early and strong. It really does well. Now the carboload also contains a pre emergent herbicide, so when you put it down, you need to water it in. And also so you need to do it now. Close season weeds, we got some rain, we got some cool web. They're going to be germinating, and so get that down now. About half inch of water on it, get it in the ground to get the nutrient in, get the pre merging in, and avoid those problems. It's so much easier to avoid a weed problem than it is to try to kill the weeds once they're up and growing. We're going to go to Clear Lake and talk to Allen this morning. Hello Ellen, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 11: Hello. I sent you an email just a few minutes ago, and to talk about some dwarf upond hedge that I have in front of the house.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh huh.
Speaker 11: He was planted when the house was built about thirty years ago, and it's grown up way too tall.
Speaker 2: I'd like to actually cut it in.
Speaker 11: About half, but don't want it to die obviously, so can I achieve a half height? Currently it's about five feet tall in some spots, and you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your pine is a tough old plant, but it will look horrible for a while. But what you're going to want to do is I would say I'd probably wait until maybe late January to do this, even early February. Cut it. Do your cutting. Then it's going to try to regrow, and if we happen some warm days now, I don't want it to start succulent. Growth when we could have some cold weather ahead here, So I would cut it back then make it a little lower than you want it to be, because that way, as it regrows from the cutting it back, you can sheare it and end up with the hedge the height you want. Okay, so a little shorter than you want it to be. Just realize that you opin like all these other shrubs, they want to grow top heavy, and that's what yours has been trying to do there. You know, the over the years, the top is trying to push outward and they're trying to keep it more narrow. So just think of the wall instead of vertical, think of it as a little bit more leaning in toward the top, you see what I'm saying, Wider at the base, a little narrower at the top, and that way light can get to all areas because where it's encroaching on the sidewalk, you got to make a lot of extra space in there for people to walk through without you know, hitting a gauntlet right there.
Speaker 11: Yep, that's for sure. Okay. Then the other question is the other pictures. So right behind the hedge used to have another row of different type of bushes. I can't remember, but right now it's just weeds. I weed whack them, and I'd like to put something hardy ground cover of some sort in there.
Speaker 2: Just to okay, just have that there. You have me suggestion. Well, so the yopon is going to be so tall that you don't see anything behind it, so you know, I'm kind of wondering if maybe moving those yopons back toward the wall and then putting something in front of them, keeping the yopons well below the window level, but putting something in front of them that you can see might be a better strategy. That's your call. But you can plant any kind of a groundcover back in there. You've got some monkey grass already growing in that area that could be moved around and gradually filled in. It's a very slow to spread, but it could gradually fill in. You could do something like Aztec grass as a white light lighter colored version of that. But yeah, you can. You do whatever you want back there. It's just not going to be visible because it's behind theoponhedge.
Speaker 11: And and replanting or moving those yopons back towards them all, what do you think it's a good success rate?
Speaker 2: Chances it's good if you Yeah, if you get it done. Now, if you go back behind there, mix up that soil, mix some compost into it, get it all ready to go, and then cut those yopons back. I would probably cut them back to like a foot foot and a half maybe and move them back there, replant them water mineral good, get some root stimulator and all that on them, and they're they're going to sit there, but they'll be making roots all through the winter so when spring growth starts, they'll be ready to go. So that's that's not it's a drastic move. But you know, we're starting with what we're starting with, so you got to do the best with what you got. All right, sir, Good luck with that. Appreciate your call very much. I got to run to a break here. But when I come back, we're going to talk to Susan and we're going to talk to Kay. Hey, welcome back to the guarden Line. Glad you're with us today. Listen, we had some storms this year that I just wonder there's a single tree left in Houston the way those things came through and just did incredible amounts of damage to some of you know what I'm talking about because it happened in your yard. Affordable Tree Service is who I look to when it comes to dependable tree care for you here in the Houston area. That comes from experience. You know, Martin Spoon Moore has gosh, Martin's been doing this for a very long time, and he he knows Houston trees. He knows taking care of trees, and he can do any kind of things you need done. I mean it certainly pruning and this is printing season. And by the way, if you need somebody to come out and look at your trees, I'd highly recommend you call Martin now because he has he needs to book you into the schedule to come and do that. Tell him you're a guardenine listener, so you move up in the schedule. And when you when you give him a call, make sure that you either talk to him or his wife, Joe. Those are the only two people to answer the phone. The owners answer the phone there. It's seven one three six nine twenty six sixty three. If someone else answers, you've called the wrong place. Hang up. Seven one three six nine nine two six six three. We got this window now when it's the best time of the year. To get printing done, give Martin a call and get that done while you're out it. If you're going to do any changes around the tree, if you need maybe to put in a driveway, or you want to put in a trench to do something, or you need to install irrigation systems around and talk to Martin first because he can guide you on how to avoid damage to those trees. You know, don't wait until someone's come by and already done the damage to figure out what to do about it. We have very few options, but before you do damage, you can do a lot to avoid it or minimize it. That's important. And don't hire somebody just because they have to pick up a chains on a business card to stick in your door. Hi're somebody that knows what they're doing. Because when someone damages the tree, but because they think they know what they're doing, but they don't, it's forever. It is very hard to fully rebuild and re establish a strong framework when bad pruning has been done to your tree. Call Martin Affordable Tree seven three, six nine twenty six sixty three. We're going to go now to Susan and Wharton. Hello Susan, Welcome to Garden.
Speaker 12: Line, Good morning, Skip, How are you doing this morning?
Speaker 2: I'm well, thank you.
Speaker 12: I have a yellow bill esperanza. It's grown in a pot that is in a holder. So this plant is probably I think the pot is probably about twelve sixteen inches around somewhere around else that's a big pot. The esperanza, the total height of it is probably eighteen foot tall. Most of the growth is around i'd say about fourteen foot, but we have one that's like one stalk of it that's about four foot taller than the rest of it. It's blooming, it's just perfect. But what my question is is I want to trim that tall one out. Can I trim that and cut it about I'm not sure where I should cut it, if I should cut it where the height of the rest of the plant is or lower ass and I transplant it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so jusan, yes, she can wait until the end of winter, cut it back at however you want, and then transplant it at that time. Esperanza can take being cut to the ground pretty much, just a few inches above the ground. Because if you go further north, if you get up to Austin, Texas College Station Hunts phillip In, there these things often die of the ground and then they come back after the winter freeze, so you can essentially use pruners to do the same thing. So if you got an esperanza that you don't like the look of it, the shape of it, cut it back and let fresh new growth come out. You will have beautiful blooms. And unless you're just trying to create some sort of a tree form of it, don't, however, you want to prune it is fine, But I would cut it back, I would dig it up. I'd move it at the end of winter probably, let's say early February would be a good time to get that move done. Even late January would be okay to put it in the ground, in the ground, yes, okay, all right, Kenn, thank you man, appreciate it. I'm sorry I hung up there, Susan, I thought we were done. Let's go to David in Spring. Hello, David, welcome to garden line. Wanting step. I have a couple of questions there.
Speaker 13: I have an area of grass at Saint Augustine, That's what my holy yard is. But I have a small area near my neighbor that has Bermuda grass, and like he getting infected in this small area with bermuda. So I've dug it all up, spraying with round up three times, got it, and I want to I want to know how long before I can replant grass before the round up there's this dissipated.
Speaker 2: Or if you spray it, you want to give it about a week for glyphosate products to move down fully through the plant. By the way, the modern round up in garden centers is not glyphys it anymore. So this is frustrating the old glyphis. Okay, So if it's glyphys give it about a week to move down the plant and then you can do whatever you want and plant whatever you want. It doesn't it's not kind of ok all right.
Speaker 13: Second question, have you heard of pro vista grass?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes I have. Would that be a.
Speaker 13: Good solution to planning that?
Speaker 2: Then that way I could spray it with fate it would future, Yeah, it would get okay right now? You know, I get calls all the time, David on people that I got bermuda in Saint Augustine. I want to kill the bermuda, And it's like, you know, there's there's not a retail garden center way of killing bermuda in Saint Augustine. But that if you're starting a new lawn, that would be an option. Yes, that that would work, would work. Try. It's a beautiful low growing grass too. It's a very beautiful low growing grass. It's a it's slow. I I what I see on pro Vista is you may mow it about one third as much as you do most other grasses, most of the Saint Augustine's. It's it just has a slower vertical growth rate. All right, Well that's not a bad thing. I think they say half, but but from what I'm seeing, I think it's more like almost a third. Okay, okay, all right, sounds good. Thank you for your help, you bet, Thanks sir. I appreciate your call. We go to Pairland now and talk to Kay. Hey k, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Thank you kicking my call.
Speaker 3: Skip.
Speaker 10: Yes, I have.
Speaker 2: Myrtles.
Speaker 14: Can crite myrtle be propagated from a cutting?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's yes. You want to You want to take a good loose media with sand and maybe some potting soil in it. But something that drains a lot of prolite is also helpful. It does best if you dip the cuttings make about a six inch cutting, take the roots off the bottom half, dip that into a rooting hormone and then put it down into to the mix and make sure you've got a clear cover over it to hold in moisture. Put it in as bright as spot as you can, but not direct son and it'll take a while, but cutting that'll work. It's best if you use a cutting cave. That is what we call semi hardwood. It's not the succulent new growth and it's not the old wood. It's kind of in between. It's where the green starts browning, and that's the best place to take a cutting for crape.
Speaker 14: Gotcha, Okay, I have an all right, And I was listening to the Esperanza question that Susan had and I have some instead have gotten above the eaves of the house, and when dryl came through the wind from that, they're kind of leaning toward Jones is a little bit now, and I just I wanted to cut them back, but I thought I need to waite probably till January February.
Speaker 2: Will that, yeah, because they're going to try to regrow.
Speaker 14: They've gotten kind of leggy and tall and skinny, and they're blooming beautifully, but I want them to bush out a little more. We'll back help to cut them back maybe three four feet.
Speaker 6: Tall.
Speaker 2: I would cut them further. I mean I cut mine back almost to the ground because that way all the fresh new growth comes out. It all looks good. It brings the size in down, it makes them more bushy, and they bloom well and there it's fine. And I would do it at the end of winter, yes, And don't do it now because we're you know, we have some warm weather and they'll try to reach sprout and that sprout it's not going to make it through freezes. Yeah, I knew that was all right.
Speaker 8: So thank you so very much, have a blessed weekend.
Speaker 2: Bye bye you too. Thank you for the call. I appreciate that. You know, h hardware stores are all over the Greater Houston area. I was just at one Katie Katie Hardware out there on Peno Groved yesterday and had a great time. I appreciate all you who came out when you go into ace and you know, I just being at Katy As reminded me of this again. I mean, you walk down the aisles and every fertilizer you hear me talk about on Guarden Line is there. I was talking to people. We were walking back into the area where you would find something to control weeds or insects or diseases or things, and it's just they're stocked up. They have what you need. Of course, ACE has everything that you need. That's why they say ACE is a place because it's got everything you need to have a beautiful lawn, like the things that fertilize, the fertilizers for fall, the things that prevent weeds in the fall, like barricade. It's got the things that prevent disease, like eagle turfundicide for example. They're there at ACE. But it's also the place for whatever kind of seasonal decorating you're doing inside and outside. It's the place to create those outside environments that you have. And if if you're looking to have a more beautiful garden, a more bountiful landscape, then just head to ACE. There's forty ACE Hardware stores. ACE hardware dot Com is the website. Go there, find the store locator, and you get this cool map with dots everywhere because there's a everywhere in the Greater Houston area. We're gonna go now to Austin County and talk to Doris. Hey Doris, welcome back to Gardline.
Speaker 8: Hi, how are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great? How can I.
Speaker 3: Help brown Patch?
Speaker 8: I put out that eagle, But like I said before, before you know it, you don't have any more on this rather right that you can use.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, you need to change the rate of application on on the on the dials. But I use the hand spreader just because it's a very fine texture and it's you're putting it out at a very low rate. But anyway, as far as a folier, there are there probably are some projects. I don't know that there's any labeled for long application that are liquids for spraying for for around back. There may be, but the ingredient that's in that eager I would just have to go work. I'm not aware of one.
Speaker 8: Well, can I put this? Put it out again?
Speaker 2: I need you to turn that radio off in the background, please.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, putting it out again meaning you didn't get it to cover the whole area or or what what are you saying when you say put it out?
Speaker 8: I didn't get it to cover the whole area? And do I go over what I did?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, don't go over what you did, go over what you didn't. Uh and and that would be fine. Okay, just make sure and water down after you after you apply it.
Speaker 8: All right, okay, all right, thank you. Just a circle or does it.
Speaker 2: Kind of like it's? It could be, It could be it's It could be very circular. It can be a little more erratic depending on where the infection hits and how it hits. If it starts in one spot, it's kind of like a fire burning out in all directions, so it makes a circle. Sometimes you get a kind of a hodgepodge of it in there and it's not not quite so circular. Hey, I got to run to a break, But thank you, Doris. Appreciate that call and wish you well with that yard Holden. When we come back, you'll be our first up.
Speaker 4: Light.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, good Davy, back with us here on Garden Line. We're here to help you. My goal is to help you have a beautiful garden. To help you have a bountiful, bountiful garden as well beautiful landscape, and have fun in the process. Don't forget that, listen, gardening should be fun. If you're frustrated with gardening, let's fix that. Can you call a garden line seven one three two one two k t RH and we will get right on it. Because gardening should be fun, we should really be enjoying ourselves, and it can be. Channa Gardens is out there in Richmond. It's on the Katie full Sure side of Richmond. So if you're done in Richmond, you just head up FM seven twenty three right where three fifty nine and seven twenty three come together. Those are fms. Remember when that was all pastures, Now it's now it's subdivisions and more and more. Well, that's where you find in Chenna Gardens and it is a sprawled out, beautiful wonderland of plants. It is a destination garden center. It really is as truly unbelievable. They've got a team that's about as enthusiastic as they come. You can go in there. You can take them pictures of plants, you can take them samples of weeds or plants or things in a little plastic bag, and they'll they'll give you expert advice. They know what they're doing. This independent garden center has been around in nineteen ninety five. And when you go in too in Chenny Gardens. First of all, take a friend because this is a fun outing. This isn't like just going into some shopping center kind of place. You are enjoying a widespread variety of plants, and of fountains and chimes and garden ard and herbs, vegetables, antique roses. You know, we're everything like that. When you go there, you're gonna find the fertilizers you hear me talk about, like microlife and nitrofoss and Nelson and Medina. You're gonna find soils you hear me talk about, like Nature's Way and heirloom and landscaper's pride. They are open today from ten to four, Sunday from ten to four. And Enchanted Gardens they are on FM three point fifty nine right where it comes in there to seven twenty three on the Katie fullsher Side of Richmond. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. That's the website, and Chanted Gardens Richmond dot com. We're gonna head out there to Crosby, Texas now and talk to Holden. Hey, Holden, welcome to garden Line. Hey, how are you today? I'm doing good, sir. What's up? Virginia Button waed I got a yard full of it. M M, Well, yeah, you got two options. You can call a real and moved that's probably the easiest, or you can fight it ino spray in the thing. Virginia button weed loves wet conditions, so now backing off on your lawn watering will not kill Virginia button weed. It just it just holds it back a little bit, you know, and when it gets wet and soggy, Virginia button weed grows crazy. It just takes off. So if you can back off on the water a little bit where it's in your control, do that. But as far as sprays are concerned, there are a number of products out there. Probably the most effective is something called I just went blank. Celsius, like the temperature. Celsius comes in little packets. Is not cheap, but it works. A packet makes a gallon of spray and you just spot treat your Virginia button weed with that celsius. I would do it now as soon as possible, because those weeds are fixing to shut down here as we're going into winter and then coming out next spring. When you see growth on the Virginia button weed, spray again with Celsius, and if you look on the labels, you're going to probably apply it twice. You know, you may apply it and then six weeks later apply it again. But those those work pretty good on it. There's some other things that work good on it that if the weather gets warmer, they're hard on your Saint Augustine. So above eighty five degrees or so, I back off on the other things. That's why I like Celsius, because you can even do that when it's in the low nineties.
Speaker 10: Okay, well, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it a try out then, Celsius, Celsius. Yeah, give that one a try. Spot treat with it. And by the way, too, holden, if you can pull some up now, it's not going to get rid of virgin and button, but it gets rid of a little seeds. You know, all along that vine are those bumps where they're full of seeds. And so one alternative to spray in now would be to just pull up all that you can to get as much seed out of there as you can, and then next spring when it comes back, which you will, you will just spot treat them. So either way you go about it, it's up to you.
Speaker 10: Okay man, thanks right.
Speaker 2: Sir, you bet, thank you. I appreciate that, appreciate the call. Nature's Way Resources is the birthplace of some of the best soil related and molts type products that you'll find in the Greater Houston area. It's where rose Oil had its origination. That's Nature's Way Research, John Ferguson and son Ian running the place that it just continues the same kind of quality mixes. You know, leave more composts, that's another one that started there. They also have something called fungal compost, which is good for over top dressing your lawn as well, if you'd like to use that. And the thing about that is ever Friday is Fungal Friday and you can get fungal compost, which is a quality compost twenty percent off on Friday's Ever Friday. Nature's Way Resources is if you go north on forty five right where fourteen eighty eight comes into forty five from the left, you turn right, cross over the railroad tracks and that's where Nature's Way is. You can give them a call, you can go to the website. You know, however you want to go about reaching out to them. Reach out to them because when you go out there, you can load up bags, you can load up bulk, you can have them deliver it if you would like them to deliver it. They can deliver it for you as well. And you will find their bags in many of our Garden Center's feed stores, the ACE Hardware type places. Nature's Way Resources is quality stuff that will help your plants succeed. Like I say on guarden Line, brown stuff before green stuff. Well this is the brown stuff. Fact. This is I would call it black gold. They have some great mulches too out there. Used a couple of their different multch products and been very very very pleased with how they perform in my flower beds. If you haven't fertilized this fall, remember the fall fertilization is the most important. And there's three things that can happen in the fall. One of them is fall fertilization that should happen every fall. It's the if you were to pick one time of the year when it's most important to fertilize, it's the fall fertilization because it prepares a plant for winter hardiness and it comes out in the spring stronger. Very important for those grass plants in your lawn now second step are the weeds that are germinating, so barricade by nitrophoss step two of what they call the Texas three step. You do the two step on the dense floor. You do the three step in your lawn. The three steps second step barricade stops weeds from being able to establish. It forms a barricade over the soil. They can't get through. They die. Second nitrophised eagle turf fungicide that prevents the brown patch, the large patch from happening in your lawn. And there's also it works some on the takeof root right too. But you got to get all these down ahead of time, early, earlier in the process. So now's the time. We just we got some some rain. It came through some the areas, and I'm telling you we're going to get some cool season wee germination. When that soul tempt said about seventy degrees. And you don't delay on this stuff. Put all three down, water, all three in, and you're good to go for fall from nitrofoss. You're gonna find nitrofoss products at D and D Feed and Tomball Plantation, Ace Hardware, Donna Richmond and Hiding and Feed on Stubner Airline. Well, I believe I've got to take a little break here and I'll be right back and Anthony, you will be our first stuff. Welcome back to Guardline, folks. Good to have you with us. Plants for All Seasons is a garden center. It's been around for a long time and since nineteen seventy three. They're right there if you're on Tomball Parkway, right where Luetta comes in there, just north of that, just right there on the on the feeder road off of Tomball Parkway FM two forty nine. Those of you who've been around there know and I mean everybody in the area knows it. Since they've been around since nineteen seventy three, it's become a very famous and beloved place. I mean people or they go in there all the time because they know when they go in there, they're going to get expert advice whether you're trying to diagnose something, identify something, find a plant that fits that space, to create a container of multiple plants that will look good when you get home and plant it. They're all that in fact that you can just buy them already put together there at Plants for All Seasons, Well, their section of the fertilizers and soil products for getting the brown stuff right is exceptional. The wide variety organic synthetic. You get to make your choice. And remember when you go into Plants for All Seasons and you buy one of the wonderful plants that they have, and boy are they ever loaded up on seasonal color right now looks good. Grab one of their containers. I've got a beautiful container I got there that is just always a showstopper in the landscape. And grab some of the fertilizer and the soil based products so that you can have success create that foundation. Plants for All Seasons dot com is a website. Here's a phone number two eighty one three seven six sixteen forty six. I'm going to head now out to Westbury and talk to Anthony. Hey, Anthony, welcome to garden Line. Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 15: I know you made some few comments about al of air plants. But my situation is I've got two five gamon containers or pots, and they've grown pups after pups, and they're just pushing each other out. I want to transplant them and com out give them away.
Speaker 2: What's a good soil for me to use?
Speaker 15: To do that, to tenderly bring them back and not damage them.
Speaker 2: I would use something that drains very very well. You can use a kind of a gritty soil like a cactus and succulent soil blend that heirloom soils has it comes in little bags. You could use that. You can take a potting soil and just add a lot of gritty material to it, you know, some little fine textured expanded shale, or you could put some sand and large particles of pearl light the white stuff in potting soil. I add a little extra that just to loosen it up, get a little bit better drainage in there. But either way, it's a it's a forgiving plan as long as you have good drain holes and it doesn't stand in water.
Speaker 15: So yeah, yes, I understand about the forgiving part. These poor guys are just pushing each other.
Speaker 2: Out of the pot. Okay, yeah, we'll do. I know the Society, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Plants. When Alivera calls them and complains about the way you're taking care of it, they just laugh and say, get a grap you're alovera Come on, is this a prank call. You can't kill an olivera if you try a real hard. I tried hard this summer. I hate to tell you this, but I had one that I can't remember how long it took the water, and it was in too small of a container and it started getting that kind of weird. I don't know. Gray Brown looked to the green and I say, I guess I better water my olive ara again. It's definitely it's definitely not a diva. It's not a diva. Its back great. Thanks Familiar Health. Yeah, thank you for the call. I appreciate that very much. Anthony asmite is a micro nutrie supplement, and remember what are micros. Micros are essential nutrients. You cannot grow a plant without twenty plus nutrients. Most of those are micronutrients, the majority are and you take one of those out and if you don't have any of it, the plant can't grow, it cannot live. It's amazing. It's essential, but it doesn't need much. It just needs a little bit as m it goes a long way. You can put it out once a year. I'll get you a soil test sometime and look at what you have in your soil and what's needed. That's the best way to fertilize with any kind of fertilizer asmide or standard types of nitrogen, phosphorus potassium fertilizers. That's the way to know for sure. But I can tell you this most people about it. Once a year, put azmide out, sprinkle it down, and those crust minerals that are mined out of the ground get into your soil and they provide that bank account. So if your plant needs a little bit of manganese, or if your plant needs a little bit of you fail in the blank, you're going to find the micro nutrients are in the soil bank account. They're ready to go. That's how that works. K Scott to Montgomery. Here, we're going to talk to Joe. Hey, Joe, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 16: Hey, good morning, Skip.
Speaker 2: Are you I'm good sir? What's up? Good?
Speaker 16: I had a question I planned recently about a month ago. My wife and I planned some bermuda sod out by our barn or workshop because we had at Saint Augustine for a long time and it just would burn up from the drought and so forth. So we planted it used a nice sandy soil from a neighbor that had built a pool, brought dirt down, leveled it out best we could put the Bermuda sode down.
Speaker 3: Looks great.
Speaker 16: The only question I really had was, you know, when we butted up the squares of sod, now we want to come back and kind of sell in those cracks of the gaps.
Speaker 2: You know, it's okay, help me.
Speaker 16: Kind of buying together. And I wanted to find out. So they used the same dirt that I had some mults. What's the what's the good recommendation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, use the dirt that's in the site. That's better. You know, you put something different in there, and now you're gonna have these lines all through your grass where it's green or not as green or whatever. So just just keep it consistently there, okay, go ahead, go ahead, No, no, just say I'm sorry, we're ore timing. Do you have a radio on around you? There?
Speaker 9: No radio?
Speaker 2: Okay, we got a little bit delay. So I'm always me and listeners are always talking over each other trying to avoid that. I would Bermuda is tough. It's gonna fill in, it's gonna look good, it's gonna do well. So just anything to get the soil level up even in there it was is good.
Speaker 16: Okay, we have the same dirt. What's uh, what's a good time since this new side to start fertilizer.
Speaker 2: Uh? Well, I wouldn't do any fertilizing until next spring. Now, how long ago did you put this on.
Speaker 16: It's just about a month ago.
Speaker 2: Okay. It came with enough nutrient to carry you at least a month, if not more. And growth is about on bermuda. It gets cold, bermuda shuts down, and so I think in this case, let's just hold off on it. It does not need to be pushed to grow right now. It just needs to settle in, get the roots done, and it's got the nutrients it needs. It'll carry it to spring. So get my schedule at gardeningwiskip dot com my lawn care schedule. It's free online and uh and follow that starting in the spring. All right, very good, appreciate your LP. Have a good day. All right, Thank you very much. You take care. Bye bye, Joe. Well you are listening to Guardline. We're here to answer your gardening questions. You can give me a call. It's seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I wanted to take just a moment talk a little bit about that. I get questions a lot where people don't don't understand about numbers on fertilizer bags and numbers on a bag. When you see it's almost always three numbers, and that's nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium expressed as a percentage. So if you you know, if you have a fertilizer and it's got three numbers on the bag, the first number is the percent nitrogen, the second numbers the percent phosphors, the third numbers percent potassium, and those are ratios. And you hear me recommend fertilizers and everyone I recommend, I believe in I use it works, but know this that everybody's lawn can be different. You may have phosphors through the roof and your neighbor not have any. That's almost impossible, but it could happen. Same thing with potassium or magnesium or other things. And so I encourage people to do soil testing because that helps you know exactly what you need to add. You know, if you're baking a let's say you're baking a cake right now, and you're mixing stuff up in the bowl, and you call me and say, although I'm not a chef for sure, but you call me, hey, skip making a pound cake? Do I need to add more salt, sugar, or flour or what here on this baking powder or whatever? And I, well, I don't even know what's in the cake yet, So tell me the recipe, tell me what's in the bowl, then I know what need to add. Right. That's what a soil test does. It tells you what's in the bowl. So if you got a recipe and you know what's already in there, then you know what you need to add if things are needed. And as a general guide my schedules, the things I put out there, the products I put out there are gonna work for years and years and years. You'll be fine. But if you really want to tweak things, just occasionally do a sall test and check because you never know something could be way low or way high, and it's easy to fix that. It's very easy to fix that. All right. I hope that helps you little well. I hear music going. That means we're heading up at the top of an hour break. If you would like to give us a call, get on the boards. You can be first up, come back seven one three two one two k t RH Hey, I am looking forward to heading out to wild Birds Unlimited out there in Kingwood next Saturday. This is my final appearance for a year. Folks Next Saturday and Wildbird's Unlimited is located at the corner of West Lake Houston Parkway and Kingwood Drive, next to the h B or UH. Here's a description up from my own heart across from Torchy's Tacos, Oh Gosh. I'll be there from twelve to two. Twelve to two, so eleven thirty. Stop at Torchy's fuel up, walk across the parking lot. Bring me your plants, bring me your pictures. Let's solve problems and make your garden beautiful.
Speaker 1: Welcome to KTRH garden Line with Skip Richter.
Speaker 2: Welcome back on a lovely Sunday morning. You are listening to garden Line and I'm your host, Skip Richter. We here to help you out a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and fun in the process. More fun in the process. Buchanna's Native Plants in the Heights is the place for you fell in the blank. You know it's his native in the name. And there is no place that has the selection of natives and expertise that you'll find at Buchana's Native Plants. If you if you go in and say, I want something that's just native here the greater Houston area. I want something that's native to this region. I mean, they can fix you up either way. I want something that it's native and attracts butterflies or hummingbirds. I want something that's native and grows in the shade. I want something. You see what I'm saying. They've got it all there and they know what they're talking about. But there's also a place for house plants. Their houseplant greenhouse is huge and it's beautiful and if you like succulents, you're gonna get real happy there. And all the stuff they have their gift shops are loaded up and beautiful just for the holidays. You know, ready to go. But I'll tell you something else. They have fruit trees. Do you know that they You can get blueberries, you can get citrus, you can get all kinds of different even some tropical types of fruit. They're at Buchanan's Native Plant So now you need to go to the website, which is Buchanan's Plants dot com. Buchanans Plants dot com. Sign up for the newsletter. It's loaded with information. Go to the resources link, look at the articles, look at the growing guides, look at the how to videos. It's it's really a wealth of information and it's a fun place to shop too, very fun place to shop. So go by there, have some fun. Get out. This afternoon me a good time to get out to Buchanan's Native Plants. If you would like to give us a call, the phone number you would need to use this seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. That is it, and we will get you up here. It's one of those lulls in the phone calls here, so I always like kind of tell you that, because here's the deal. When you know, when you call in and you're having to wait, nobody likes to do that, and I try to keep that to a minimum as we do it here. But there are certain times it's just quiet, and typically the end of the day on Sunday morning, here comes all the calls and I'm trying to get everybody in. So anyway, just kind of giving you an update. That's a score that Nelson's Plant Foods has a wide variety of products. They've got the turf Star line that's everything you need for your lawn. They've got the nutri Star line, which is specific types of fertilizers. You know, they're nutri Star products for example for trees and shrubs. They got nutra Star type products for different groups of plants. But I want to talk a little about color Star. Color Star has been well known for a long long time. This nineteen thirteen six fertilizer comes in plastic canisters. I suppose you can buy by the bag too, well, you can buy by the way, but most people get a little caster of it and whenever they're doing a flower bed, they follow the label, sprinkle it out there and then plant their plants. Mix it in the soil. Plant their plants about every three to four months, just do some more color Star on that area. It will cause blooming to happen because it gives the plants the things they need to grow and thrive and bloom. Professional landscapers have been using color Star for a long time. You know, it's created like forty years ago. About forty years ago. Homeowners have known it for a long time. Got five different kinds of nitrogen in it, five different sources of nitrogen. That's really good to have a blend like that. And then they've got organic bone meal in there. They've got blood meal in there. That's part of the nutrient mix to feed the soil and to feed your plants. Color Star from Nelson's find it in a lot of places. Look for little canisters. Some places around town even have refills where you know how you go into the grocery store and you own some more peanuts, You pull the handle and get a bag full of peanuts. You can do that with Neilson Plant Food some of their products at a number of places around town too, which saves on plastic and which also is more economical. You're not buying a new plastic jar full of stop. So just a tip for the whys and those looking to save a bucker two in the process. You're not going to go wrong with color Star. It's an excellent, excellent product. The phone number is seven to one to three two one two k t r H. If you would like to give us a call. Uh are you someone who you drive up to your house and you look at the landscape and you go, you know, okay, that's that's okay, that's nice. But there's something missing. You know, there's I don't I don't see the eye catching thing where you know you can't drive by without noticing this gorgeous flower bed or this beautiful flowering tree in the front, or you know what I'm saying, or maybe the way you've laid it out. Okay, let me can we talk.
Speaker 10: Mh.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to be real candid with you here. Just take a moment here and listen. Listen to this. When you are a plant collector like I am, and you're not a design expert, your garden tends to look like a bomb went off in a garden center and everything rooted where it landed. Do you know what I'm talking about? Yeah, okay, don't waste your hand. People are watching, uh and when that happened. You know, you have beautiful plants and you go shopping and say, oh, I gotta have this plant, and you bring it home where I'm gonna oh, there's a little place there and squeeze it in, and you're not looking at seasons like what blooms. When you may have all your yard on the left side bloom in the spring, on the right side bloom in the summer or fall. You're not considering design and aesthetics and colors and all that. If you're that kind of person, you should call Pierce Scapes. You can be the one who says, I want to use these kinds of plants in my yard. I love these plants. Or just tell them I want something's very drop resilient, I want something blooms in fall or whatever. They'll do it. You go to Pierscapes dot com, Piercescapes dot com or call them two eight one three seven fifty sixty. And when you have professional help in designing a landscape, it can be gorgeous. Now, if you want to go on being a plant collector, that's fine, go for it. But I'm just saying, you know, especially out front for that curb appeal, curve appeal, get some help and getting the design in. I know, and I'm telling you listen, I am a plant collector. I do that kind of thing. I can't say how many times I've come home I've got a plant, right I got two plants right now. They're in pots sitting in my house, and I'm trying to figure out what in the heck am I gonna do with I love these plants. I want these plants. They came home because I love them and want them, not because I know where I'm gonna put them.
Speaker 9: Yet.
Speaker 2: We'll we'll get back to you on that one later on. Oh man, Hey, thanks for listening to the garden Line. Listen, I'm gonna take a little break here if you would like to call and be first up when I'm gonna make that second up. I got somebody coming in being first up when we come back from break. Seven to one three two one two kt r H. Seven to one three two one two k t r H. Don't forget my last appearance of the year. Have you been listening this morning? You can probably finish this for me. Kingwood wild Birds Unlimited on Kingwood Drive. It's in the intersection there of West Lake, Houston and Kingwood. Right, there's a big old h be there. Well. Wild Birds is behind the torches Tacos. So when you're on Kingwood Drive and you see torches tacos, if it's before twelve o'clock, go ahead and neat. If it's after twelve o'clock, come see me. We'll go eat afterwards. I'll be there from twelve to two. Bring me samples. I'd love to help you with the plants that you're struggling with, or the ideas that you're looking for, or the bugs that you need help with identifying. Let's do that. I'll be there all right, folks, time take a break when we come back. Christine, you're first up. All right, welcome back, Welcome back to garden Line, Ajar. We're all smallest violin. You've heard that phrase I mentioned before, that's what the song drive. All right, guys, we're going to head straight out to the phones here and we're gonna go to Christine and Magnolia. Hey Christine, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 17: Good morning, now are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good? I'm good. How can we help today?
Speaker 17: Before we go too farther, I'm driving, so hopefully I won't lose you. But I'm looking for unplugged blue salvia by proven Winners. I read an article about it in the paper, and we have some good success with salvia, like a lot of people, and so I want to put them in a pot. And I'm wondering if I can plant them. Now, where can I find them? And can I plant it?
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't keep up with every single species and variety, but I'll tell you this. You're closest place I would go right now is Arburgate. They're in tom Ball, okay, and I'm carry a lot of They have a lot of proven winters plant and just call them if you you know, I would go because whether they have it or not, I love to go to Arbigate. I'll find something else I'll want to. They've got a lot a lot of proven winters plants, and they have a really good collection of salvia's too, you know, rocking the blues. And they're just a whole bunch of new varieties of Salvia's that they carry. So check them out. They're they're likely to have it. They don't, I'll bet they can get it. And so they're real good about when they can get stuff in bringing it in a future shipment, you know. So just see that's where.
Speaker 17: I'd start, okay. And then do you think I can plant it now?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, yes, perennials. Now is great. They have all winter to settle in real good and when next summer comes, you'll be glad you fall planted.
Speaker 17: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, Christine, Thanks for the for the call. I appreciate that. I you know I talk about the importance of getting your fall lawn care things done as ap. Well, I'm going to say it one more time. It is important when you play baseball. Do you start swinging when the ball gets over the plate, when it's trot in front of you, or do you start swinging after it comes out of the picture's hand. You make your judgment and start the swing right. Well, of course you start the second. When you're going to do fall long care. Do you wait until you see weeds to put on barricade? No, you put it on ahead of time. Do you wait until you see brown patch circles to put on egal turf funder side? No, you put it on ahead of time. It's taken up by the roots to fight the disease when it shows up. Do you wait until it's so cold the grass is barely taking up stuff from the roots anymore to put down fall special No? You do it now. Get them all done now, one, two, three, easy, easy. That's the Texas three step from nitroposs. You can do them all on the same day. Just don't put them on the same hopper. Just go out there and fertilize, go out there and put the barricade, go out there and put the funsize. Whichever of those products you you can do all three, Or if you typically don't have brown patch problems, well maybe you don't need the eagle turf. If you're not over water and overfertilizing and you haven't had that problem, if your lawn is good and dense, maybe you don't need the barricade. I'm just saying. I'm not saying you have to put out everything all the time. I'm just saying, those are the three things that are happening now that you need to take care of, and if they've been a problem, you definitely need to do it. But certainly all lawns that fall special winter riser to get it ready for winter very important. We're going to go back now to the phones to northwest Houston and talk to Barbara.
Speaker 13: Hello, Barbara, NY good morning or afternoon, it's still morning.
Speaker 2: We can talk till the cows come home. Thank you?
Speaker 10: Do you?
Speaker 2: But do you pay attention to what I'm saying, Barbara, That's a question. I know people listen, but I wonder if anybody is paying attention.
Speaker 14: Mine is just very well that's because I listened to you, so I have anybody.
Speaker 2: Who's okay, all right, I go for it. All right.
Speaker 14: It's dropping the leaves, the churning collar and it's dropping leaves like mad. And I just think that it never does it this early, and my little I know it's a peach tree, but it's got purple leaves.
Speaker 8: It never gets any peach.
Speaker 14: I think it's a decorative thing, but it's still doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has been a very dry and unseasonably warm fall, and things are happening earlier. It was a month ago I had crape. I don't overwater my landscape and I kind of leave it to take care of itself on what comes to water, except for things like lawns. But my peach tree and my peach tree, my crpe myrtles were dropping leaves weeks ago. They were starting to do They get a little thirsty, and you know, just because they're a little thirsty doesn't mean you have to water them right away. But I think on those you're going to be okay. It is it is most likely ninety percent sure. This is nothing to worry about. This is just give them a good soaking, you know, whenever they're dry, and this fall snuck up on us. It just wasn't blazing hot like summer was, but it was hot and it was dry. It was a long time and we've we're seeing a lot of what you're describing. So I think you can worry about this one.
Speaker 14: Okay, Well, thank you so much, and have a wonderful weekend.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, all right, you too, Thank you very much. I appreciate that. Yeah, anybody who is married or has kids know that there is a difference between listening and paying attention. Anybody who's a school teacher knows there's an efferge between listening and paying attention. Oh gosh, somebody at the other day posted something. It was something along the lines of my wife said, are you even paying attention to me? And I thought, what a strange way to begin a conversation. Maybe that's too painful to be funny, but I think it's hilarious. We're going to go to the west side and talk to Carl. Now, Hey, Carl, welcome to garden Line. Thank you sir.
Speaker 18: Now, please have the spreader setting for the eagle fund a side.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, it depends on the spreader, and that is very fine textured stuff. If I were you, it's always better to I don't have a number for you. Am my head on that. And it depends on the spreader, but it's going to be a very cranked down small opening that you're going to use because that's a very fine textured product. Okay, I would use a handspreader, the low kind you go through the yard and you're turning it and walking, cause you can set those to put out a small rate, and I would go north and south across the yard, and then I would look at how much I used go east and west across the yard, and the more you kind of do that crisscross and you under apply. You can always come back and apply more. But what I've had two calls today, people that started off thinking they were on the right setting. They got less than halfway through the yard and they were out, and so obviously they weren't putting it out the right rate. So I would go that route. I do that with fertilizer and other things too. You can always come back and make another pass across them to get the rest of it out. But when you run out, that's a problem. Perfect well, great show, Thank you sir, right and don't forget to water that eagle inkral when you get done with it, because the roots are going to take it up. And you got to get that done real soon, because I'm already seeing bron patch in area of yards. Thanks sir. All right, Well, I guess people. I talk to people all the time, and they say things like I can't grow anything. I have trouble growing that. I tried that and I killed it, or I did this or did that, or what's the secret to? And then they fill in a plant plant And you know, there are a lot of things plants need. Plants need sunlight, plants need water, plants need good drainage. But I would say the one primary, single most important thing is good soil so the plant can thrive in it. And how do we do that? I call soil brown stuff? And what is brown stuff? Brown stuff is the soil particles that you have on your site, send, silk, clay, whatever you have on your site. So brown stuff is the organic matter that's in the soil. We call that compost when we're adding it. But nature creates organic matter in a process, a very slow version of composting, if you will. And the brown stuff is the nutrients, the nitrogen, phosphor's, potassium, and twenty plus other nutrients it plants need. Starting with the brown stuff means you start with the foundation for success. It's like building a house. Would you go out there on the you know, the beach and start laying two by fours on the ground to build your beach home. No, you wouldn't. That. That's a horrible foundation. It would never make it well. We do that when we plant without preparing the soil. Go to Cienamultch. If you're south of town. Ciena Maltch is just in your neighborhood. It's near near oh I guess you could say Highway six and two eighty eight somewhere in that region near Sienna. It's on FM five twenty one, five twenty one. Here's the website. Just write this down. Cienamultch dot com, cinamlts dot com. They've got bagged soil products, they have bulk soil products, and they have fertilizers and they have them on all the brands that I recommend on guard line. I cannot recommend this place enough. So we're talking about things like landscaper's pride. We're talking about things like the products from heirlooms soils, for example, we're talking about things like Microlife or Nelson's fertilizers or Nitrophoss fertilizers or Medina fertilizers. We're talking you about some best control stuff they have. But when you go to Siena or you call them up and have them to deliver it. By the way, they're closed today, but they're open Monay through Friday seven thirty to five, and they are open on Saturdays from seven thirty to two. They'll deliver within about twenty miles for a delivery fee, or you can just go get it however you want to go about it. The main thing is just do it. You're its fall planting season. Don't stick a ground in the plant in the soil that's not prepared. Don't stick a plant in the ground that's not prepared. I though another way you can put it, if you like Peter Piper picked a peck of pickle peppers, is don't PLoP a plant in another prepared plot. Don't do it. You spent money on that plant. You can envision the flowers or the fruit or the vegetables or whatever it's going to have. Realize that dream. By starting with the soil, brown stuff before green stuff, and sanamlch is a great place to do that. We're going to go now to Michael in Galveston. Hey, Michael, welcome to garden Line. Well, good morning. Hey.
Speaker 19: A friend of mine gave me a whole bunch of packets of blue bonnets, and it dawned on me. I have never seen blue bonnets in potted in pots? Can they be grown in pots? I've never even seen them sold in pots?
Speaker 2: Yes, you can do that. They they're not real big plants at that stage. You just gently get them out and put them in the soil and they can do that transplanting if you don't disturb the roots a lot. But you can get ahead start that way with blue bonnets and pots. What if I just wanted to grow them in the pot to full size? Well, they come in like typically, are you talking about like them? Usually they're sold in a little four inch pot?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you seeing them seeds? Okay? You can. You just need a real big pot for blue bonnets to do well. They don't. Don't give them too small of a container. But you can go grow blue bonnets and containers from seed. Yes you can.
Speaker 19: I could say I've just I've never seen it before.
Speaker 2: It's not going to try it. Oh yeah, yeah, it can be done. You know a lot of people don't do it because blue bonnets they don't look like much until we get to spring and then they look real great and then they die after that setting seats. But it absolutely can be done. All right, thanks for the call, Good luck with that. Thank you, bye bye, take care bye. Alrighty here, well, I am looking at another break coming up here. If you would like to give us a call, We've got to open lines right now. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I'll be right back. I feel that be right now. Let's let's talk. What do you want to talk about? Seven one three two one two k t RH. You're listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, skip Rictor, and we're here to help you have a more beautiful garden, a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape, and have more fun in the process. That's what we want to see happen. Give a call, we can make that happen, or he'll make that happen. And you know, gardening is fun and learning is forever. Do you know this gardening keep I'll tell you this, gardening keeps you young. And one reason is because it is a forever, hopeful, optimistic process. Now, I know you get discouraged and things. I understand that, but really, when you buy a seed, take a look at a handful of seeds, it is just dead detritus in your hand. But when you can look at a seed and see a tomato, you're starting to get it. You're starting to get it. And gardening is hope. When I purchase a pack of seat, when I purchase a plan at the garden center, somebody just calling about salvia is a while ago and we're talking about going bout Arburgat and getting that salvia. I'll walk into arbagate and I'll see the salve. I I mean, maybe have a fluid blooms on. It doesn't need to That's what people like to pick out. And once the balloom's on them, I pick that up. I already can see it in the landscape grown. It's full size with hummingbirds coming in to get the nectar. You know, I mean I can see like that and you can too. I know you can do this. You do it every time you buy a peach tree and you can taste peaches. I mean you just stop, closize a minute, think about what a peach tastes like. See, you can do that. And gardening is a hopeful, hopeful process. And we are optimists as gardeners. We believe in the future. You know, to plant, they say, to plant a tree is to believe in the future. They also say the best time to plant a tree is forty years ago. The second best time is today. And they also say, I'm full of quotes today. They also say that a society is great when old men plant trees under whose shade they will never set. That is good thinking. I like that. The point is gardening is an eye to the future. It's an eye to hope. And it keeps you young. It keeps you It keeps your body young by moving around, and actually it keeps your mind young. It does. And I'm telling you it's therapy. Gardening is therapy and it really does work. So I keep talking about that because I believe in it and I want you to believe in it too. I mean, it is it is absolutely so true. So anyway, so what is all that about. Well, I'll tell you what that's about. That means get out there and try it. That means learn. Listen to guard line all the time, set your clocks, say hey, wake up, guard lines coming on. I don't know some are going to do that, but I think you should. I used to say in the morning. First thing that if you look over next door and the lights are off, go bang on the door. Tell your neighbors they're missing garden line. They will thank you so much for that. Maybe not right away, but they will come to appreciate it. They sure will. We want to learn more, we want to have fun. So I like these appearances like the one I'm going to make it Wilbirds Unlimited out in Kingwood on Kingwood Drive, right behind Torchies next Saturday, Next Saturday, from twelve noon to two pm. It's okay if you want to go eat at Tarchi's just get over there about twelve noon because I don't want to sit overhead warbirds watching you eat at tarchis they You're going to make me hungry. So come on out, bring me some samples, let's get a picture made, and let's get you whatever kinds of questions you have. Let's get a mention. I'm have some giveaways out there too. I always do. Let me do these things, So come on out. Look forward to seeing you. All right, We're going to head up to Type Cypress, Texas and talk to Tom. Hey, Tom, welcome to garden.
Speaker 10: Line more and skip. Just listen to you.
Speaker 18: Sounds like you got a shortage of callers this morning, so I thought i'd call in with a little comment of trick I came up with to save some of my plants from the Indian summer. I got a wild here and bought some turnips in September. When I was buying seedlings, they didn't have what I wanted, and I said, well, I never grew turnups, I'll try those. But once I got them growing, and it stayed so hot so long, I could.
Speaker 10: See every day the leaves would just wilt in.
Speaker 18: The middle of the afternoon. Then they'd start breaking off, you know, the vein down the center. After they wilt, it would just break. So I came up with a little trick. Didn't cost me a thing. I thought I might pass it on. I had three old card tables stored in the garage, and so I.
Speaker 10: Just pulled the legs down and at.
Speaker 18: About eleven o'clock in the morning, I would set that card table up over the turnt plant and then keep the sun off in between like eleven and four, and that kept those leaves from wilting and breaking off.
Speaker 10: So I thought, I just passed it on.
Speaker 18: A cool trick. I was just dreamed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Well, I mean I've seen so many different ways of shading plants over the years, from an old license plate stuck halfway in the ground at an angle above a tomato a transplant, to you name it, and that I have not heard that one yet. So it's just people that live here, that live here that might have an opinion about me hauling a card table out to the garden. But we'll see.
Speaker 18: Well where I am, it's it's kind of a anachronism. It's an old neighborhood that was moved in here in the nineteen eighties, and it's sort of like a little island of country in the city. So nobody, you know, everybody's got like I mean, we're half an acre to two acres and you pretty much do whatever you want.
Speaker 10: So anyway, I thought, I I just pass on that little trick.
Speaker 18: So have a great day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tom. Thanks, thank you appreciate that call. Thanks very much. It's always interesting to find the things that people come up with. You know, a day doesn't go by that I don't learn something in gardening, even if it's maybe not something I'm going to use, but at least learning something. Or I like talking to gardeners because listen to people that are out there gardening and trying things. Some times we get really creative and we can come up with some really cool, fun ideas. That's part of the fun of gardening. That is part of the fun of gardening. To do that. I talking about shades and things over plants, and one of the things I will often do is is just stretch a piece of shade fabric. You can buy shade fabric pretty inexpensively, little sections, maybe it's a little tart that's a shade tar or something. Cut it up and figure a way to just string it up over plants at an angle, you know, find that place where from especially after lunch and up to about four o'clock or so, when it's about the hottest time of the day, you can protect plants. Uh, And it works, it works really well. All right, Well, you are listening to Guarden Line, and I'm about to take a little break here we come back. We got one more second segment, folks, so hang around if you'd like to give me a call. Seven to one three two one two kt RH. That's seven one three two one two k t r H and I will be right back. All right, folks, it is time to kick off this last hour, last hour, last segment of the show, and we're going to jump right to the phones and get going here. We're going to head to Cyprus and let's see no excuse me, we're going to head to Uh. We're gonna head out and talk to Jay. Hey, Jay, welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 7: Hello, Skip, Hey Jay, Yeah, he yes, Skip. I have a garden over here, and I've planted some broccoli. They were came up, beautiful plants. All of a sudden, I've got these small caterpillars that are attacking the leaves of the broncotic plants. And I've had a problem with.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, oh, go ahead and finish.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I had a problem with webworms in some of the trees around the garden. And I'm just wondering if it's kind of the same stuff.
Speaker 2: Now it's a different one. Have you looked at these caterpillars closely?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are they kind of a yeah? Are they kind of a light green color? Or are they? Do they have black and white stripes across their back?
Speaker 7: I think I have two kinds that I see. I have some that are it's they're very small and almost kind of a white color. I mean it's not a dark color. But then I have the dark ones like you just described. I do have some of those.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's on broccoli, you have two good options that are low tox. One of them is BT BAZ and boy teas in tom those sprays. When caterpillars eat leaves that have been sprayed with BT, they get sick. It's a disease of caterpillars. It only affects them. Doesn't affect grasshoppers and beetles and other things that eat leaves, just caterpillars. But BT lasts about a day or two in the environment, and you have to respray it. If you're on broccoli, you know how water balls up and runs off the leaves of the cold crops like broccoli. You're going to need to put a little bit of soap in the spray to make it stick a little bit. It's called a surfactant. You can buy surfactant where you buy pesticides like BT or you can you know, put a couple of drops the dish soap in there, but it's better to buy a surfactor to do it. But that'll make it stick because you need it to stick because you when the caterpillar feeds, you want them to eat it. And I if you can spray upward from under the planet's better because those young, young caterpillars usually start under the leaves when they're real small, and then they eventually are eating the whole leaf, top and bottom. But the other object is spin spin no said s p I N O S A D. There's several brands of spin no SID and that also kills caterpillars naturally.
Speaker 7: Uh so I saw exactly what you were saying. I sprayed, but it didn't stick. So I need to add this affect.
Speaker 2: To it, Yes, sir, Yes, sir. On the on on broad cauliflower kill.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, so I have a question the ones that that the leaves have been eaten on will will they eventually form the broccoli buds.
Speaker 2: It's a percentage game, Jay, like if you lost ninety percent of the leaves, they're not going to have the energy to really produce a good broccoli head. If you just lost maybe thirty percent, you'll still get a good broccoli head. So you know it's a percentage game in there.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, well, hey Thanty very much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yep, you bet appreciate that. Thanks for the call. Oh let's head back to the phones and we're going to talk to Mary. Hello, Mary, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Hi trip.
Speaker 21: Excuse me, skip, I'm sorry, good to talk to you. I really enjoy your show every week. I have a question. I bought it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I lost Mary. Mary, call back. We will get you worked in here. If you can call quick, call back quickly, we'll get you back in I think I pushed a wrong button there. That's impersonal, that's for sure. Well let me just while we're waiting, see we got another call just about out of time. Looks like Mary's calling back. I do want to remind you that this week is what I'm calling final call on getting those things done in your lawn. Now, Yegg, you can do them next week and do them the week after that, but the sooner you do it the better. So don't put the lawn care things off, all the things we've been talking about this morning, don't put that off another day. Go ahead and get it done this week. If you're going to do fall planting, we are in prime season for getting that done. Get it done, whether it's shrubs or trees, which you absolutely can't find a better time than fall, and then winter is right next to it in terms of good time to plant. Get it done. Let's get it done. You're gonna get the advantages of it. I know that things get I get busy. You know, I've got plants at pots and outside waiting for me to get off the radio for crying out loud and come plant them. But make it a priority this week to get those things planted. If you want to put in perennials like salvias and ornamental grasses, and perennial herbs like a regano and rosemary and whatnot, get those in now. You will be so far ahead when it comes to next spring. And when the heat arrives, those plants you planted now will take on the summer much much better. They just have a better system.
Speaker 10: At that point.
Speaker 2: We're going to go back to Mary now, Mary, Sorry, I actually I think hung up on you by pushing the wrong but oh that's okay, not a problem. I thought it was my fault. I'm upside right now.
Speaker 21: The reason I'm calling is because i bought a house in Ramsas Pass and I'm not used to that type of sand soil over there. So I just I just know just from experience that I probably need to compost quite a bit. Is there anything else I can do to supplement the soil? There is a lot of Saint Augustine grass, but there are also a lot of the birds or whatever you call those little stickers out there, so graspers, yes, and I'm trying to eliminate those as much as I can. I'm very fortunate that I have well water that I can use, and I can water often without having a large cost.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do this quick. What you're going to do is the grasspers you need to put down barricade, and I would do it in that area. I would do it in early February. I'd put out the barricade I've watered in and it will stop the grasspurs. You're going to want to repeat that barricade about sixty days later, put it down again and watered in because graspers will keep germinating in the summer and the barricade doesn't last forever. So that's the answer to that. As far as those soils, organic matter, organic matter, organic matter, find bed mixes, find compost decomposed, you know, mulches that have been rotted down and ground down into a good quality product. Anytime you can improve the soil is a good idea. And just remember and sand, you water more often, but you don't have the water as much because water goes down through a sand much faster than it will through a clay. And as far as fertilizing, you want to fertilize in small doses or use a slow release product because also nutrients wash out of a sand more readily. So it's it's kind of a smaller doses along the way to keep them wet and to keep them fed. Okay, I appreciate that.
Speaker 21: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You have a great thank you. Yeah, I think thanks to the call. I have a good time down there at the beach. We're gonna go to Crosby now for our final call of the day. Gerald, Let's see how we can help.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I bought a bag of this pre emerging stuff. And is it okay to put it down now or is it too late to put it down?
Speaker 2: It's not too late, but don't delay another day. Get it out there. With the rain that came through some of the area, we're gonna have weed seeds germinating. And you got to you want to apply it and immediately water it in, because it doesn't do anything until you wash it into the soil with about a half inch.
Speaker 20: Of water, Okay, And then and I also put some fertilize.
Speaker 2: Down with it. Absolutely, put both the ball fertilizer and the pre emergent down, uh, and then water them in really well. And and that will set you up for for success with that.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea, all right?
Speaker 20: Okay, Well that's what I needed to know. I figured I could put it down with all this rain we're getting and so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And and it wasn't it a good idea to get some rain. We have had a heck of a dry fall that we sure could have used some rain on. So we're all glad to have. By the way, you're out there in Crosby, you know you've got Crosby as hardware down there on Main Street, and they're going to carry these fertilizers and barricades and things like that, those products right there. So just a tip if you if you are looking for one.
Speaker 20: Yeah, well they had it, but I also try to get that Celsie's from them. They didn't have, so that's that's.
Speaker 2: Harder to Yeah, that's harder to find. And if what are the weeds you're going after with celsius, that Virginia button weed, well as a as a backup for that Celsi sadn't the only thing. They'll kill it. But if you have a bone eighted weed beater ultra if they can, if they have that, I would use that furt loan. I'm trying to remember the Ferd loan. It's got both have a product called Carfentra zone in them and that's pretty good on the Virginia button weed. So I wouldn't you know, cross the country looking for Celsius. Just bone eight weed beater Ultra or Carpentra Zone, but don't use them when the temperatures above mid eighties and they'll work.
Speaker 9: Okakay, all right, thanks sir, thank you.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you bet appreciate the call. Hey, you've been listening to the Garden Line. You need to tell your friends about this. We are here every Saturday, every Sunday from six to ten. I don't care where they live. We got people live out of state that listen to their show more than Mary. Let's do that. I had one final call. My last appearance of the year, last one for this year, is going to be at Wabird's Unlimited in Kingwood, Texas. Come on out there and see me next Saturday. Next Saturday, the ninth of November, from twelve noon to two. I'm gonna have giveaways, We're gonna answer your gardening questions, and you're gonna learn a lot about birds while we're out there too. It is a fun store, a fun place. It's Kingwood Drive, west Lake Houston Parkway, next to HGB and behind torchiese Hako make plants put on your counter. Come on out. Look forward to meeting you.