Speaker 1: Six forty yes later with Mo Kelly. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. I tell you, rainy days and Mondays always get me down. Something about this particular Monday. I'm a little bit slower than usual. I'm a little bit more sluggish. I'm a little bit more antsy. Some Mondays are more difficult than others. I hope you had a great weekend. I had a great weekend. It was full, though it felt like I didn't have a weekend. I was doing something all day each day of the weekend. But I'm glad to be back here with you. So much to talk about given the events of the past two three days. You know that violent mind which assaulted the seven eleven clerk. They've been showing that video on loop all day long. They ransacked that seven eleven. Well, I have some thoughts about that, and I think I've figured it out as to why seven eleven not AMPM, not Circle K, not Joe's Convenience Store. Why seven eleven. I'll give you those thoughts next segment. And we have a list of the cities with the worst drivers in the United States. Mark Ronner is going to be listening intently because these are the cities for him to avoid if he does not want to give people the double bird or even the single bird.
Speaker 2: I only do it when it's an absolute necessity and it's a public service and a courtesy.
Speaker 1: I do not doubt you at all. But if we're doing the list, you know it's connected to southern California somewhere along the way. And of course we all know that there is a presidential election coming up, but that's not the only election that people are talking about. And if you're like me, hopefully you're not, but if you're like me, you're getting campaign calls, these robo calls, these text messages, emails every single day. I'm talking about from both parties. They just somehow figured out how to find me, and they probably found you as well, and you just get bombarded with all these messages. Well, the question is, can you stop at least the phone calls and texts. We'll talk about that before the hour's up. And we have a pair of Circus Vargas tickets to give away for October eighteenth at the Delamo Fashion Center. So we've got a pair of Circus Vargus tickets for October eighteenth, that's coming up soon at Delamo Fashion Center. They could be yours, but you're going to have to listen in as to when we're going to give them away. So, Stephan, I didn't getting to get a chance to say hello to you this evening. How you doing, brother?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: Hear you, sir? I'm doing all right. Did you drive for anyone this weekend? No? Not this weekend. I had a lot of stuff take care with the pops. But yeah, otherwise it's pretty relaxing. Okay, what about you, Mark Ronner.
Speaker 2: You don't even want to know the depths of nerdism I sunk to this weekend. But I'll just give it teeny tiny little adam of it. You know. I'm a James Bond fan, love the old ones. There were some commentaries on Criterion collection editions of the first three James Bond movies that were banned in the early nineties.
Speaker 1: I found them, Did you pay for Him? I found them?
Speaker 2: I found okay, and I also found like a summary of the best dirtiest bits from him. They were banned because, like Kubby Broccoli, who you recall is the hauncho behind those earlier Bond movies, he was offended by them, and there was some kind of salty language and some insults and some unflattering remarks made about assorted people in the cast and crew, very entertaining.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, and what about you, twall? What did you get into? I did not do much. There's this g I.
Speaker 3: Joe comic relaunch coming in November, and it looks very, very exciting. So I went around to a bunch of different comic shops to get a hold of some of the prequel series from four of the main characters in the Giagro commic. They have like prequel series that are coming before this major relaunch. I just went around to a bunch of shops to stock up. All right, Yeah, Well, my weekend was just full. It was just full.
Speaker 1: I was doing something all hours of both days of the weekend. How was the Blue Door Bat. It was fantastic. They raised a lot of money. I'm not at liberty to say how much they raised, but they raised a lot of money. We were going to help out a lot of kids across southern California, more specifically in the Carson area, and it was just a well received event. I heard a lot of great feedback from the multiple interviews we had with participants here on later with Mo Kelly, and I look forward to doing it in future years. It feels really good. And I try to say this not to gloat, but to be clear, I don't get paid for that. I'm doing it because I feel that it's important to do and I would rather give my time. And it's a fundraiser. I'm not trying to get money from a fundraiser. It's just weird to me. Other people do. I'm saying I don't. That's one of the things that I look forward to every single year because I like to be able to say I had a hand in helping raise money a lot of money to help a lot of children. I'm all about children and I'm all about education. Kind of works together, so it's a It's a perfect fit for me. Shout out to Kim Richards, who is the CEO for the Boys and Girls Club of Carson putting on a phenomenal event. Nina Patel as well, the vice president of development. Can't wait to do it next year. And they always have a great I want to take a moment here. They always have a great venue. One year they did it at Dignity Health where what used to be what do they call it wherever the Chargers used to play in Carson? Yes, thank you, I'm come to Depot Center. It's now Dignity Health. They did it one year at Bemo Stadium, which is where the LA Football Club plays right off the one ten Freeway. They did it at the Porsche Carson Carson Porsche Experience a couple of years there. They always have these fantastic venues and this year it was you know, it was one of the same at Sofi Stadium. It was just great. Great for the venue, a loan saying nothing of the cause, and also the contributions, A great turnout. It's a great turnout. It's about maybe three hundred attendees. Wow, because it's maxed out at a certain point because they have tables and seats and dinners off Saturdays. Oh yeah, good cause that is a great turnout. But it wasn't a long evening. You know, the evening starts at seven o'clock. We were done by nine oh five. Wow, now was there since three? Because they had like a run through and rehearsal everything, But the event itself it flows so oh. I will say this shout out to Marathon Patrol who donated one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Let me just say that, one hundred and fifty thousand dollars one donor. That's how we got down. So it was a great weekend in that regard. Busy but great. It's Later with Mokelly. We're going to talk about seven to eleven and that latest ransacking and mobbing when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: By now you've probably seen. If you haven't seen, just turn on your TV. It's on loop. You've seen the footage of the mob which attacked a seven eleven store in Orange County yesterday. It left the store clerk with a bloody nose. That goodness, he wasn't more seriously injured. And you could tell there was footage by the surveillance cameras. There was footage obviously by people who were there and were stupid enough to upload it to social media. They will be caught. So I don't think that is an issue. But I did come to some realization and I'm not saying that I'm the only one who started this. I'm not saying this at all. I'm saying that I think if there is a common thread woven through all these flash mob ransackings and seven elevens, it's this and Tuala and I did not tell you this before the show, so tell me what you think of it. We were always theorizing out loud why was it always seven to eleven? And I said it had to be something with the setup of configuration or something, because it's only seven to eleven. It must be a more attractive target. And then I kept reading back to the old stories, and then it hit me. The lottery tickets. If you go into a seven eleven, the lottery tickets are on the counter more times than not yet available to the hand. It may be behind a little bit of a plastic, but it's still, you know, available to someone's going to come in the store with bad intentions. Now, if you go into most ampms, they have like a lexand wall. Yeah, you're not getting there.
Speaker 3: The all all the lottery tickets in seven eleven. I know this because I go to seven eleven in the morning. They give them a coffee, grab a little lottery ticket. All their scratchers are right there under a little glass like partition on the counter for you.
Speaker 1: On the counter.
Speaker 3: But if you go behind the counter, you can just pull all those things off and.
Speaker 1: There's nothing keeping you from hopping the counter.
Speaker 3: Nothing, no, nothing, absolutely nothing, not even the older individuals that are there for some reason another. Every time I go there during a morning shift, it is usually an older individual working there. Later on the afternoon, maybe it's the sun, maybe it's the nephew, the brother coming in. It's typically an younger gentleman.
Speaker 1: But still it's those either one guy. There's usually one guy in there. But see, there are two things I would say to that. One. We always say like, hey, it's seven to eleven, you know, it's not worth your life. And I would say like, it's probably a family operation. So the people working in there, they feel much more connected to it than the average employer, you know, working at any convenience store. That's the first thing. Second, when I was watching this video again, it's been on loop all day long, and you see a guy. All of them are like hoodies and sweatshts. They're very conscious to cover even their arms. They don't want you to know even their ethnicity or anything which might be identifiable. Going back to the kids who are identified by their parents, there's an escalation. Now, before it was just a ransacking, they would leave the clerk alone. This time they engage the clerk. They threatened him with a big rock and he ended up with a bloody nose. I'm not asking for this to happen, but i do know how things escalate. If the violence from the would be criminals escalate, those who are running the businesses are going to respond in kind. They're going to protect themselves. They're going to protect their property. And if I were an owner of a seven eleven, if I were an employee at a seven to eleven, each time I walk into that place, I have to assume, especially in southern California, I would have to assume that I'm a potential target, a likely target, and there may be some fifty individuals now who don't have any reservations about harming me as well as ransacking the store. So having nothing to do with trying to protect the store and protect the property and protect the product, I have to protect myself. I think this escalates even more because even though in credit to the police and law enforcement by arresting a lot of these individuals who are involved, it's not dissuading other groups because they said, it's like fifty people that it's not dissuading them. These are now the copycats. I don't believe it's the same group. When you're talking about Orange County and you're talking about in the Wiltshire area, these are not the same kids. It just not. So these are copycats and it can happen then anywhere any neighborhood, presumably because I don't think that Orange County neighborhood was the same demographic, economic demographic as the Wilshire area. I might be wrong, but I don't think it was. You're going to see most likely an escalation, and God help us when it does.
Speaker 3: I am going to put out a theory only because at one point in time, I was one of those kids that are out in front of you know, supermarket, selling candy right with the fake story of made up this that or the other. I'm out here raising money for whatever team, whatever, whatever whatever, selling chocolate bars that we go get at the nine to nine cents store and go out and try to sell them to you for like five dollars. That was me, right, And I know there was an individual in Pasadena who would organize all of us put like nine ten kids in the van and we and drop us off in front of stores.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that these attacks are as rand as we are made to believe because it's kids. I believe, just like with the ransacking in Nortrum's Mall this same past weekend, that was organized and they've caught damn near all of them, I believe that there is some level of organization where there is someone who is gathering these kids together. I don't care if it's two or three individuals gathering together and saying we're gonna hit this one today, because it is too similar for it to be just some kids texting and saying, hey, we're going to do this, let's go. I don't believe it's that that loose in planning.
Speaker 1: Let me let me probe that even further, and I would then ask what is the end game? Because if I'm not mistaken, if I'm not mistaken, the lottery tickets, especially the scratch offs, they have serial numbers, I don't know if you can redeem them, because I'm quite sure they're gonna catalog that which is stolen in the serial numbers thereof of the lottery tickets. So I don't know if they're usable in any real form and outside of the lottery tickets. I don't know that the financial upside from the candy bars and you know, the knickknacks which are being solen. We don't know.
Speaker 3: And to me, it's about if it was just one seven eleven and say an ampn But there's something about all of the things that they're gathering that by themselves. No, but in great numbers. Then you start to have something. Then you start to have a supply where you can do something else with it.
Speaker 1: No, it's not a coincidence. Yeah, it's I just don't believe it's a coinci. Yeah, I'm thinking, I'm going up and down the aisles with my mind. Is are there like pseudo fat tablets in the aisle where they can use for the creation of other drugs since they've locked those down in most write aids and drug stores, I don't know if it's a misdirection for something else. No, when you're only hitting seven elevens, it's not a coincidence. It's a pattern. It's just a matter of what's behind the pattern. And I'm surprised, honestly that seven to eleven on a corporate level has not stepped in and done something statewide to better protect them, or at least go through some sort of motion to increase level of security, even if they had temporary security members there or something, because there's city ducks and they're being used as targets just about every single week. Yeah, Yeah, it's Later with mo Kelly. Can if I Am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and when we come back, we will tell you the cities with the worst drivers in the country, and California is represented somewhere in there, probably because of Mark Runner and his antics.
Speaker 2: Don't quote me on that, but probably you will not scapegoat me. I forbid it.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: And maybe your city is on this list, the list of the cities with the worst drivers in the country. And I'm not saying this to be funny. We're talking about the number of fatalities per one hundred thousand people, crash fatalities and fatalities involving a driver with a positive blood alcohol content above the legal limit per one hundred thousand, okay, And they little it down to a crash score. And this is a research team of a Consumer Affairs Group study and these are their findings based on NHTSA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations latest data, which is twenty twenty two. Didn't have twenty twenty three. But we can give you the twenty five worst cities, but we're not. We'll only give you the top ten of the worst cities, coming in at number ten. As far as fatalities and also drunk driving driving under the influence fatalities, Saint Louis with a crash score of fifty two point three per one hundred thousand, coming in at number nine, Midland, Texas with a score of fifty two point eight coming in at number eight. As far as the worst drivers are most dangerous drivers actually in the United States backpons number eight, fifty three point seven, Number seven, Wichita Falls, Texas, not to be confused with Wichita, Kansas, fifty four point six, number six of the worst drivers in the United States with respect to fatalities and also fatalities connected to driving under the influence. Tucson, arare Zona number five. In any list of the worst, Mississippi must be represented. Jackson, Mississippi checks in at number five with fifty six point one crash score, coming in at number four. California hits the list with San Bernardissippi. Yeah, sanm Bernissippi. Travel to the sam Bernissippi? Do you mark?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: And I guess I won't be at this rate. Number that was number four, So number three Macon, Georgia sixty three point four. If I were to make any type of grand generalizations, mostly in the South and Southwest, mostly number two, I said mostly, And here's why not completely Victorville, California, which is kind of like the South. If you've ever been to Victorville, it is very South esque South Adjason. Yeah, it's you could close your eyes and then open it with like, is this Mississippi? Is this Arkansas? No, it's Victorville. It's one of the same. I know they do not like that, but it's true. If you've been to Victorville, I mean, ooh, it's ooh, love you Victorville not really coming in in number one of the worst drivers in these United States with respect to fatalities and drunk driving fatalities. Memphis, Tennessee must be all on Beal Street. Memphis. I've been to Memphis, but I haven't really spent a lot of time to assess it. But you know that I can see it, but it doesn't seem more dangerous. Maybe they're just much more permissive. Everyone's loaded. I actually thought LA would have been on this list. I really did. Sam Bernardino is not LA, but close enough to LA where I thought LA would also be on it.
Speaker 3: The only reason LA's not on it is because of the fatalities and the fatalities due to impair driving. We do have some of the worst driver's hands down. So if this was just worst drivers that cause like road rage or double mark Ronners, then yes, this is absolutely on the list. But our drivers they drive really bad and they try to kill you.
Speaker 1: They're not but they're not. You know, They're kill rader is not very high. They deserve a round double Mark Ronners. I'm not sure how I feel about that. You should be proud. No, let's let's make this one still born. Okay, cool golle. No, Let's give it a double runner. I like it. I don't like the bird anymore. I love a double runner. That's what you're getting. Let's fill in the list only Monday. What's wrong with you too?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: We got a long way to go. A long week for you. Let's fill in the list. Number twenty five on the list was Knoxville, Tennessee. Twenty four was Dallas. Here you go, Mark, tell me where this is. Number twenty three is Everett, Washington.
Speaker 2: Oh. That's north of Seattle about half hour. I think, okay, that's surprising. I had no clue.
Speaker 1: Twenty two Detroit, Michigan. Twenty one Little Rock, Arkansas. Yeah, twenty Dayton, Ohio. Nineteen Richardson, Texas. Eighteen Odessa, Texas. A lot of Texas. Yeah, it's not a coincidence, evidently. Number seventeen bird manham My bye Ba. Number sixteen Waterbury, Connecticut. I don't know where that is, but Connecticut is not a big state. Number fifteen Davy, Florida. Never heard of Davy, anyone, anyone? Pueler No. Number fourteen, North Charleston, South Carolina. That alone. Number thirteen Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I believe that. I believe everyone's drunk all the time in Florida. Number twelve Pompino Beach, Florida. Old and drunk. Yeah. Number eleven Pueblo, Colorado. And you know the top ten, but still no la. I really am surprised that they were anywhere that weren't anywhere near this list.
Speaker 3: Nah, not surprising a lot again, bad drivers versus uh driver fatalities and people drinking and driving California, I.
Speaker 1: Mean bad and death or not too far apart. When I see the people just driving recklessly down the five Freeway we even in and out, assuming that I see them motorcycles and actual cars, I'm thinking like, oh, we have to be racking up the fatalities, if only because southern California, especially in LA, we have so many freeways. I'm thinking that there are more fatalities per day than other big cities, but the data doesn't support that. I passed by this morning.
Speaker 3: I was running late to work because there was a three car pile up at two ten one to eighteen five four or five entertains right around there, and it was horrible. But all three passengers are outside their car yelling at each other.
Speaker 1: Look, I count my lucky stars every day I make it to work, make it home from work. I do not take it for granted. There's more distracted driving than ever. They're more a holes than ever, they're more impatient a holes than ever. People are just angry all the damn time on the road and it's like, I don't want to make eye contact with you. I don't. I'm definitely not doing a Mark Ronner.
Speaker 2: A double mount. Don't ever do that. Now, leave that to the professional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't do that because I'm not trying to escalate anythings, because I'm just I'm trying to keep that portion of my life behind me, and there's always someone who's younger, dumber, with more to prove and less to lose, so I try to stay steer clear of that.
Speaker 2: I've been trying to find a place walking distance to work for roughly three and a half years now, because if I legitimately feel like I've cheated death thousands of times coming in here.
Speaker 1: All I'm saying, though, with all that being said, if I should happen to be in front of a seven eleven or near a seven eleven and I'm between them and the door, I don't know how I'd respond. You might just have to fly into it like the homelander. Look, someone may catch one that night. I'm going to get more catch one. What elbow men infection? Oh no, no, they're gonna catch one. An inflection. Yeah, they're gonna have to make a decision either gonna rob seven to eleven or they're gonna deal with me. It's not gonna be both. It's not gonna be both. And I will potshot on the way in, pot shot on the way out, taking free shots at them fearsome. Look, I mean, it's hard for me to stand by and do nothing. If I if look, if I know that they're kids and they're most likely not carrying any heat, let's go. You're gonna give them a fist full of tough love. No, I want to kick them in their kneecaps. So I'm gonna do a foot of a shoe full of tough love. Yes, absolutely absolutely, It's just it's not my makeup to just do nothing. I don't like bullies and I don't like criminals. So it's hard for me to do absolutely nothing, especially if there's not a threat of death involved. Then maybe for them, because I believe this, someone's gonna get shot they keep doing this, I really do. I'm not condoning it, I'm not advocating it. I'm just saying, if you keep escalating it, that's the likely outcome. And that's also you know, advice for you, Mark, stop escalating. No, I wouldn't dream of it. I live in mortal terror of you and your shoes, not me. I'm talking about when you're out there giving double runners.
Speaker 2: Oh well, my statement, Hold are you like?
Speaker 1: Are you? Are you robbing seven eleven's two? Look at the time, I am six forty. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Are you also being bombarded with all these Well they're not supposed to be robo calls, and I'll tell you why. But these phone calls of an automated nature, these texts from all these different political candidates or propositions or super packs. How is it to get our number? I didn't sign up for these lists. Well, let me give you some information about what you can or can't do to stop some of these annoying calls and texts from political campaigns and also political operatives. Because sometimes many times it's not for a particular candidate. It could be for an issue, could be for a proposition, it could be for any number of reasons. Because a lot of this information is shared between organizations. Give you an example, I'm on a press and media list. These different publicists and organizations. They will send me emails of everything they're doing. It may have absolutely nothing to do with my show. It would never be a fit for my show to Walla's autumn as well. We get all the spam and email and we've never given our email to any of these people. But you end up and this includes voter data on these lists and you're spammed incessantly. Let me give you some of the law and what you can and can't do and where a lot of these organizations and businesses they're running a foul of the law because there are no consequences. Registered telemarketers are not legally allowed to contact anyone on the Do Not Call registry. Remember that National Do Not Call Registry that was supposed to help alleviate some of this. Well, their limitations to it. Because registered telemarketers are legally not allowed to contact anyone on the National Do Not Call Registry list for sales purposes? Did you get that? For sales purposes? And they can be fined if they're found in violation of sales purposes. Political calls and texts are exempted. Campaigns or affiliated groups can legally contact you and me through calls or texts, regardless of whether you and I have consented. And that's according to the FCC. So it doesn't matter how they got your number, it doesn't matter where they got your number. Yes you can block the number. Yes you can reply if it's a text saying to opt out or to stop. We all know that I do it every single time, and they don't stop. They keep going, and it keeps happening almost every single day. And I'm here to tell you I'm the bearer of bad news. There's really not anything you can do about it. There's not a lot. It's not that it's only illegal, it's excuse me, it's not that it's illegal, it's legal. And there's really nothing you can do to prevent it from happening again from more different places. So the next political campaign season you will have more texts from different candidates and different super PACs and groups supporting different propositions. There's really no way to to prevent this outside of just changing your number or and this is something I can't do and I don't want to do. Some people have their phone set up, if you know how to do it, where if there is a number which is not in your contacts, it will automatically route those calls to your voicemail. I don't do that because I do enough businesses with do enough business with enough places where yes, there are people and professionals who are actually going to call me or contact me who may not be in my contacts. There are times where like BBC will call me from Scotland and it will show it up as unavailable as far as the caller ID, and I can choose not to respond or I can pick it up and I don't have my voicemail. I don't have any identifying information on my voicemail. If you know it to me, you know it's me. You're not going to get a message saying Hi, this is Moe Kelly. Please leave a message with your name and number. Not get back to you. No, it won't be into that. I will call screen like a mother father. You know I will find out if I can't if it's you. But still there are those people who manage to find my number, usually give it out by Mark Ronner because he doesn't like me and he thinks it's funny. You see how Tawala gives out my social media because he thinks it's funny.
Speaker 2: I enjoy giving out your social media as well. I'll admit it right.
Speaker 1: Now, And since you do have my number, I firmly believe that you have something to do with it.
Speaker 2: No, Actually, my gift to you most weekends is that I don't call you. I think I sent you a link to something I want you to read on Friday. But I think you're a little bit like me in the respect that you just don't want to be called. I don't want to be called ever by anybody, even people I know. And if you have to call me, I want a text telling me you're gonna call. We are one hundred percent the same in that regard. I don't want to hear your voice. I don't want to talk to you because I'm doing something. I'm always multitasking in life. If I'm even watching TV, i'm multitasking. I can carry on a text conversation and not miss the show that i'd like to watch. I cannot carry on a conversation and talk to you on the phone. I try to return all phone calls and make all phone calls when I'm either on my way to work or on my way home, because I have a good hour to hour and a half of attention that I can give to you and whatever it is executive time, right, But if you.
Speaker 1: Do text me, damn it. Tell me what you need. If you need to get on the phone with me. Don't text me saying hey, give me a call. We need to get a chance. No, I will not because if I'm going to call you, I need to know why, so I can rank it in importance. Is it urgent? Is it less an urgent? Anyhow, I'm getting off the topic. But as far as the political texts and phone calls, there's really not a lot you can do about it. It is within the law. It has nothing to do with the National Do Not Call Registry. That's the bad news. The good news is there are a lot of apps out there, and there are a lot of settings that you can on your phone, and maybe this might be a great topic for me and Marsha Callier to go over and really drill down on this and tighten up your settings so fewer of those calls get through. I can automatically block and I won't get a notification for a message. They will not be allowed to text me, they cannot leave a voicemail message. That's how I cope with it. But as far as getting your number removed, and this is the real takeaway, there's no way you can get your number removed from these different lists. It is legal for them to get the number. However, they get the number, and it is legal for them to contact you, and they're annoying as hell, and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm just full of good news tonight. If I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, what the hell is going on? Well, we're about to tell you. K f IHD two Los Angeles, Range County Live everywhere on the radio app