Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, and welcome to another episode of Ruby Robes. This week, con our panel, we have John Luke.
Speaker 2: Hello, Dave.
Speaker 1: Hey, everyone feels so much more familiar to not say your last names. I'm Charles Maxwood or Chuck.
Speaker 3: I'm Chuck.
Speaker 1: And this week we're talking to Dmitri. Dmitri, I, do you want to say hi and let us know who you are?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, Hi? Ever want? My name is Dmitri and you can call me Dima if it's simpler, because I know that Russian names start sometimes. I started my software development career in twenty and twelve and decided to focus on Ruby and Rails in twenty fourteen. Before that, I did some totten and development, front and development and iOS and since southern and eighteen, I guess I work as a back end developer at people Marshus. I spent a lot of time working on open source. I committed to Urga, Rails, grab, Kluba, has some smaller gems, and I also maintained some of my own jams. And I started working the graph field I guess in two thousand and seven gen, so it's like four years not for yes, so far nice.
Speaker 1: So the discerning listener probably heard graph ql about four times in your introduction, and that's we're going to be talking about specifically graph QL and rails. We talked about graffiti a couple months ago, and so this will be interesting to kind of compare the approaches and things like that. I know that some people love graph ql and some people love to hate graph ql. So I'm a little curious as we get going, can you just kind of give us the elevator pitch for graph ql. I know most people are probably at least somewhat familiar with what it is. But if we can start there, then we can start talking about why substitute this for REST, or use it in conjunction with REST, or what the trade offs are, or how to set it up or all that other stuff. But knowing what it is first is a good place to start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, that's strand out. So if you're using RESS, probably got to use to a concept of a resource that each kind of data you have is a resource, and you have at least affections you can perform them, and you have these rest points that I allow you to fetch the data you need. But the problem is that sometimes you need a different set of data for each platform. For instance, when you're working with your own website and your mobiliplication. And in this case we have two problems which come from the same place. The first one is under fetching, which means that when you finish some data and you want to get the additional data about the additional resource, you have to make another quest or sometimes you have to make a lot of requests to get the full page. Imagine that you're working on Baseborg or something. You have a feed, a rist of friends, all that stuff, and you have to make additional requests or you can you know, have a special request that allows you to fetch all things you need. But it also sounds wrong because when you have the mobile AUP, you don't need to load all your friends and they fit at the same time, so you have you know, separate APIs for the mobile application and your website. The second problem is overfetching. It's almost the same thing. When you work on the mobile app and you get all these data for the website you don't need you don't need, but you have to download it processed and you know, use the network for that. So graph Gale tries to solve this problem. You can get any data you want, but you don't get any additional data that you don't want to get. The special benefit to get from graphical is the documentation, because the heart of the graph Kale system is it's schema. Schemo defies your graph So you have a list of entities which are called tag and these steps can have connections between each other. So you have all these connections described and you know what data can you get from each point. And in this case you don't need to have the separate documentation because you already have it. You just need to explain what does it mean in your system? For instance, what is the user, what is customer? All this stuff and that's it. You cannot have the outdated decommindation because in this case your graphical system just won't work at all. So I guess that's the main setting point for me. And also one more thing, but not the last one. I guess there is a special thing called subscriptions. Sometimes you don't want to get the data right now, but you want to get the updates, for instance, new messages in the chart or new notifications of the stuff. And when you work with the rest, you have to build something from scratch, like make the ajax request make all ink makes sockets by yourself all the stop. Graphicel solves this problem by subscriptions. In this case you can describe the where you want to make and wait until the event happens. In this case, graph kill would send the data to you and you don't need to think about how it came to your ilientification because it doesn't really make any difference between the regular quay or subscription call. And this is the part of the technologies, so you do not even need to care about how it works because it's usually a part of the library. You think that's the benefits of GRAPHAEL. I wanted to mention to kick it off.
Speaker 1: I'm a little curious as we get going, John Luke and Dave, what all have you done with graph ql.
Speaker 4: You mean, other than avoid it or complain about it. Yeah, now I'm joking. So I think that graph qul is really cool from the perspective, like Dmitri was saying, it has a lot of benefits, especially to end users consuming the API where where they can only really fetch the data that they need, not everything, especially when you're talking about really large data sets and really complicated data sets which maybe have a lot of associations associated with the main record that you were wanting to get back. So having the ability to just make one API call to this back end application serving graphic well is really nice opposed to having to make ten different calls. So not only is that more efficient from the perspective of one verse ten calls, but you also then have more ability to let's say pull it often, especially if the back end has some kind of rate limitter and in order to serve this one page or this one application, you had to make fifteen to twenty simultaneous requests to get all that data. Well, if you're doing any kind of rack attack or rate limiting, then you were consuming twenty times for just one page, you know. So it definitely has some benefits from that perspective. But now here's my big buttz. Despite all of those glorious benefits, I think if I am developing a API back end that's going to be consumed by an internal or an iOS or Android application that I'm publishing to the store, or by another in house product or by a third party who is very comfortable with working with rest APIs, I'm going to go with RESPI every day. But if I am going to create a API that I'm expecting all of my customers or users of the application to heavily write their own interfaces to everything. I'm just really providing a data source in a formatted way. Then Rephkuel might make a bit more sense.
Speaker 2: I can totally agree with Dave, and there is no reason to just start writing all the applications we have with golf kill. And also if you have a client that wants to work with REST and if it's still comfortable to work with the REST, that's completely fine, I guess. But sometimes it makes sense to start new projects with the graph Gale even if you don't have any experience with it at all, because sometimes you can find benefits. And by the way, there is a special trick in graph Gale which I also to awoid all these different small requests, which is called batching. I guess all modern front and trap cal frame A frameworks can do that. Batching is a thing that doesn't immediately make. It just builds a lest of requests and send then once, let's say once a second or something. It helps a lot when you have to render a lot of things from the same page, at least in the initial lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't disagree with save at all. I think for whatever reason, maybe this has always gone on. But I feel like the last few years there's been a lot of hey suite new tech comes out, like I have this new hammer and everything is a nail. And I feel like graph cel totally was a thing like that, where everyone was using graph qol for everything, even when I could find any of the benefits of graph ql lining up with their problems right Like it was like everyone using Mango to try and replicate relational databases, which Mongo is not good at.
Speaker 3: You know, that's my only beef.
Speaker 5: I think that graph ql is awesome to be frank, I've even said before and I still think it's probably true.
Speaker 3: So REST is kind.
Speaker 5: Of like a standard, right graph Ql is a technology, and I think that distinction, to me is important because if we can create a standard on top of graph ql that looks a little bit more like REST, I think that, in my opinion, I think it's likely that we'll see that graph ql is a lot more powerful than it looks right now.
Speaker 3: Because to me, it looks very wild westy.
Speaker 5: It's like, you have this cool new technology and everyone's all over the place with it, and so it's just a gigantic mess, and everyone's blaming the technology instead of blaming the discipline of the people that are using the technology that to me appears to be the source of most of the problems. I've only used it on toy apps so far. I haven't actually had a real problem in my life that made sense to match it up with. Yeah, but I still think it's sweet. It changes the way that I think about things.
Speaker 1: At the very least, Luke, have you done anything with graph you are no.
Speaker 6: I interviewed for a position with a company that made.
Speaker 7: White label, white label apps and they were heavily in the UK. They were heavily heavily into their GRAPHQL, and I was talking to CTO and asked him why because again there were a rail shop why they kind of put everything into GRAPHQL. And they were very mobile focused, and they felt that one of the benefits from using graph ca OB was the kind of huge benefit on mobile, especially with more efficient network usage. So for them, any amount of complexity was worth the trade off to get their apps running more responsive. So the fact it was a kind of a newer technology didn't care. They just wanted that improved customer experience. So I'm really interested to hear what Dmitri's saying, where you're saying this is not just about efficiency, this is actually a better way of organizing the interface between the client in the server. And I think you said something like having a schema was one of the big winds which you don't get with the rest based at So it's interesting to hear what why isn't didn't schemers go away with XML?
Speaker 6: That was the last time I had to deal with schemers. Are schemer is good now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question, and I totally agree that it sounds like the more schema, but yeah, schemers are better now. I guess I'm too young to understand all the pain with schemes because I didn't work with them a lot. But yeah, the schema language in Garcao is very simple, looks like Gison, just regular gson. You just define a type, you just call type user and define list of fields like title is string and I don't know, orders is a list of order which where order is another type for instance. And they said you define all this stuff with text and for instance, in Ruby you don't even have to define the scheme by yourself. You just define classes and it makes all the magic behind the skins. You don't need to do anything at all. And then you can use this schema to center your clients. For instance, some i ET tools use scheme must have nice autocomplete and will date to e client request that they at least quest the fields you have, for instance. And also you can use any intercommutation tool you want to just show the place where you can find the chema and it will show abutal screened with all the fields, connections, types, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, speaking of the schema, I mean, this was the painful part at least when I've laid with graph QL in rails, is that I wind up essentially fighting the engine a little bit because I have to set up that schema for every type in the system. It you know, at least, and I haven't tried it for a year or so, so the tooling might have gotten better. But yeah, so essentially I had to tell it. You know, the user's name is a string, and the user's user name is a string, and the users you know this that and the other is a number, and you know, in RAILS, if you're doing rest it just kind of all works, you know, and I didn't have to do any extra work to get that kind of an endpoint up within GRAPHQL. So yeah, that's my major beef with it. It's just that it created a whole bunch of work on the back end that I wouldn't have had to do if I was doing rest.
Speaker 5: I may argue you had to do that on the front end, right, because you got all that through Jason. It was all the string and then you had to decide, well, what is this? Is this the number? Should I be parsing ends, you know, or is this actually a string or is it something else? If it was objects, you were cool. But otherwise, yeah, you had to play with it there.
Speaker 1: Yes, and no, I mean I agree with you, and I don't. One thing that JavaScript has going for it is coercion, and so it winds up doing a lot of the you know, it winds up doing a lot of the work for you on that front right, And so unless you need like some very specific functionality out of it, you can just count on you know, JavaScript doing the right thing when you do a coercive comparison or things like that. And so, yeah, I don't do a lot of type casting in JavaScript. So for the most part, that doesn't matter as much to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want to pretend like I had to do it all the time, but it was a thing that I did have to care about more often than I wanted to. Probably at least a few times a year I was dealing with something where I was doing a comparison or something and you know, for whatever reason, something that came from data was still a string and I had to fix that.
Speaker 2: And also, when you work with playing rails and you want to set up some kind of recommendation, for instance, swagger, you have to write all these comments near your actions by hand, and there is a chance that you'll forget to change anything and your swagger will be outdated and no one will not end. When you have schemas, there is no chance that it will be outdated because it's your schema that's used for peputing your cold.
Speaker 5: So going down the schema route a little bit more. I used to use soap back in the day, and I mean, I don't miss it at all.
Speaker 1: This is me crying for you.
Speaker 5: I don't miss it at all. But this isn't my first rodeo with schemas. Sorry, I guess alets of thinks I'm talking to her because I said soap.
Speaker 3: I don't know whatever.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I used to use so back in the day, And I mean, there's some benefits that you get with schemas, which I think is kind of what you're talking about here.
Speaker 3: For me, the main thing that I.
Speaker 5: Always felt like with schemas is I could pull information from a completely new source. But I know that you're not doing this all the time, but I could. I could know nothing about what was going on underneath, but I knew everything that I was allowed to do. That's a lot harder to do with, you know, RESTful APIs as. You know, we don't really provide that kind of thing. It's not impossible to do. I guess you could provide a page that does that or something, but nobody. It's not a standard by any means. But I guess why. For me, I can see benefits to it, and I feel like people are happy with the exchange when they're doing graph QL. Can you talk more about like why the schema in this case is a good thing as opposed to like soap where I always felt and Charles's actually just Chuck just expressed this a few minutes ago, He's like, well, I hate that. In rails, I had to like do all this setup like every time, right, Like we really hate writing boilerplate. That's why we write rails, right, So why is this exchange good? I guess, Like, what are we buying an exchange for it?
Speaker 2: Well? I get. The problem is that in graph kill World world, they prefer things to be explicit, So they want you to define the list of fields you want to fetch. The list to fills you a lot to fetch all that stuff. And it could be possible to just generate the list of fields based on your table structure. That's not impossible. I believe there is even a gem for that. But there is a huge benefit from having a schema. When you want to change your data in graph kiell World, it's called mutations. Mutation is a special way that can change your data, and it looks like a regular query, but it's usually expected to change the data on the back and set. And the thing is that when you define arguments. For instance, you want to change the price of the item for your Internet store, and you want this price to be numbered, and you want it to be required. You can be sure that it will be present in the arrangers, because otherwise graph execution engine will just send the error to the client telling him that he's wrong. So from the one point of view, you're at some boilerpred But from the other hand, you just remove the part when you avalidate the data because you can ask your execution engine to make it to make all the checks you want for you. I think that's fair exchange.
Speaker 3: So is the big bonus then on the writing side, is that what we're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of the benefits of having schema because you can make sure that things that you expect will arrive in a way that you're described in your cinema.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a year since I've really touched graphql, but back when I did, one of the biggest issues that I had with it is that my code wasn't pretty. It seemed like Graphql complicated it beyond what a res API would do, and from that perspective, I just found it easier and more maintainable to stick with res api despite some of the benefits that graphql provided. Now I know that with I believe Facebook created the concept of graphul or created graphic youl, and what they were dealing with I'm sure is a lot worse than what graphql provides. But I think with what Rails provides just out of the box, or with just one or two serializer gems, then you have a much cleaner look without the graph Ql and just stick with the rest.
Speaker 2: So ft correctly, you mean that you don't like the code. You're right. When you're writing craft, you know we'll be right. Yeah, basically, Yeah, I guess it's a much taste, and I can agree that writing a list of fields each time we had a new entity can be not that great as a developer experience.
Speaker 1: Well, it wasn't just that for me. It was writing the fields and then writing the resolvers for all the extra stuff. I mean, it felt like it added a ton of work that I wouldn't have to do if I was doing rest.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think the gym that was really popular a year or so ago for graph ql had a very strange DSL that they used, or at least it just seemed like it was over complicated, but that was probably just due to the necessities of what was required by graph Ql.
Speaker 7: I'm going to ask some really dumb questions here, so stand by all right, is running the graph ql. I've looked at it and I don't quite understand. I understand the process. You put your scheme together, you write some supporting code.
Speaker 6: Yeah, is the graph.
Speaker 7: Col query hitting that can't hit rails directly, can it? It's going through something? Is it hitting a node server running on the server?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: Graph qul is basically just a as John mentioned technology, So you're not having to parse it through another service, per se or external service. It's just you have a standard of what the graph ql should be structured as as it's consumed and how you are posting back to it for mutable changes and requests and stuff. But it's not actually going through a external service or anything.
Speaker 3: It could. But your rail server can also be your graphul server.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just translates it down into calls through your model, just like anything else.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like you could pick Puma, or you could run a patche or engine X. Whatever you want can be your web server. You just have to adhere to certain things in order to be that.
Speaker 7: Oh this is my my weird bit, one of my weird bits for this week. So I've been working on. Noticeably, graph kill has got a kind of subscription service you mentioned, which looks like a kind of web sockets based live updates. I've been trying to make my own without using web sockets, using a long pulling and I was using Finn because it's quite easy to use Finn to do asynchronous staff using event machine. But Finn appears to be missing, presumed dead, and everyone's using Puma now right, you're getting nods here, so event machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess people can't hear my nods.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, yeah, there's an absolutely agreement.
Speaker 7: So I've been trying to get you working using the rack hijack, yeah, which is the kind of way of keeping a connection open with Puma. My word, that is a total nightmare. I can't tell you how long. I mean, it was took me to about two am to six am to get a hijack working. And now my web server stack is engine x into Passenger, into Puma into my app.
Speaker 6: Is this is this excessive? Do you think to run to run all of those for one web request?
Speaker 3: So this is not grabbed you? Well, but yeah, one hundred percent agree with this.
Speaker 5: I actually reverse proxy to Puma in almost all of my setups, but I don't use enginex plus Passenger and then also add Puma on top.
Speaker 7: You wouldn't believe how long it took me to get it working. But now that I have got it working, I quite like it. And it kind of feels like I've got a bit of a gang on the server and constead of kind of lonely process serving web pages.
Speaker 4: You like it until there's a problem in production.
Speaker 7: Why I like Passengers. If I'm in production, Passenger tells me like help. You know, I just run the Passenger status and it tells me what's going on, and you don't. You don't get an at with the with the Puma, there's no kind of happy here. Is how what I'm doing Puma command.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so enginex is going to be your web server that's going to serve the HTTP content, and then Passenger, Puma unic Horn are going to be your application service, which is essentially going to talk to the rails application, convert all that ERB slim or hamil code over into HTML, and then give that to the web server to then serve to the client. I know it's off topic.
Speaker 7: Well, the reason I'm diverting here is because I've got my happy long pulling setup.
Speaker 6: And that works really well on our part.
Speaker 7: From the huge, huge stack of process that goes through. But now I've got that, I'm kind of looking at. What I want to achieve is a site that sends state simultaneously to lots of different clients live. So it's a production system. Maybe you've got sixty terminals, and I want state changes to propagate automatically so that with somebody at one terminal hits a button, the others can see that, yeah, in real time.
Speaker 6: So this is my motivation.
Speaker 7: So that would be if there was a slightly less arcane way of doing that using graph QL, that would interest me, you see, because my choices at the moment are roll my own web socket system, which I've done but it feels a bit home brew, or look at something which has already solved this problem, which is a bit more standard.
Speaker 2: So in graph CAEL there is a subscription special subscription type which looks like query and it can be run on different transports as far as I remember, along with action Cable, it supports some other paid services. So you set up your transport engine and after that your client client application will just start using subscriptions as a regular requests. Because in this case it doesn't really matter where the data came from because the data has the same type. So, for instance, if you have a list of notifications and you have a quit to get all the all the let's say a notifications for the current user, you get the list from the query, and then as soon as the new notification rates, you get the new notification from the subscription. So it can be done with when actually cables it down.
Speaker 5: So is this a thing that I can get out of the b really easily or is this thing that I have to set up right so I have to go set up some action cable stuff, tie it in to whichever graphul gym I'm using, or maybe I'm using graffiti, which we talked about recently or whatever, but I haven't tried yet. Is this a thing that's like easy to set up with some out of the box rails gems that are easy to find, or is this a thing that I'm going to have to go read three tutorials and kind of bumble my way through it.
Speaker 2: Let's say it's not super hard to set it up. Fortunately, I have veedutorial how to set up subscriptions and all the stuff you need to start your grap cal application. And yes, that's a part of the standard jam. The only thing you have to change if you're using any cable. Have you heard about any cable by the way, So in this case you'll have to set up one more additional gem and it will work.
Speaker 3: Okay, sweet.
Speaker 1: So one thing that I'm wondering about is, yeah, you know, we've talked a bit about the boilerplate that has to be written. So is there a generator or something that I can run that will take care of a lot of that stuff for me?
Speaker 2: There are actional generator in the graph cal gem that will create all the stuff you need to start, all the base types, control and a year old. So yeah, not to that you have very simple schema with one tip.
Speaker 5: I guess just trying to track what is the gem that's kind of been around for like I don't want to say, like three or four years for Ruby stuff. Is it graph quo Ruby or is it a different one?
Speaker 2: It's a graph You guys mentioned that there was a strange syntax. I guess you work it with the previous version with blocks look like gelscript right, a lot of braces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very possible.
Speaker 2: So sometimes ago they completely written the EPA and just use classes as all other Ruby jumps to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as long as I can right, clean, maintainable code, then I think graphke well, you know, is viable in a rail's application. But as John said at the beginning, it's not a hammer that will fit every nail. You have to use it when it's appropriate, not just because it's what you're familiar with or because it's the latest and greatest. If it's right tool for the job, then absolutely use it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think for me like the issue is trying to understand a sort of nuanced view of when is the right time to use it. I think my understanding, thus, far from a very simple standpoint, is very similar to what you said earlier, Dave. If I have control of the client right so I can write it myself, and I have resources that very easily fit sort of the rest kind of framework, then I don't really have a lot of motivation right now to diverge from that and go to GRAPHQOL. But if I start to leave that, if I start to look like Facebook, where I need to know about you know, person X and a whole bunch of stuff about person ex as friends, That's where I feel like I start to go down the road where graph ql is good. And so I don't know if any of you guys or Dimitri, if you guys have like a more nuanced view of where you're like, oh, here's the line in the sand when you might want to consider that, But I don't have a very good line at all.
Speaker 2: Well, as I mentioned before, when you have more than one client, there is a chance that you'll have more than one client in your future. That might be it the baseline you can touch you in graph kill because in this case you want to worry about what data would be needed on each platform.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. I mean the way that I'm kind of envisioning it is, say I build a Dragon, Ruby or a React Native or something, you know, build an app with those. And I'm actually looking at some of this stuff for some of my personal things, Right, so I could build a front end off of the graph ql, you know, and React or view or Angular or you know, have some kind of tie ins with Stimulus or something, depending on how I wanted to structure the front end of the web app. But then the mobile app, I'm finding more and more people want to interact with apps on their phones, right, and so you know, I may have slightly different interface or slightly different needs on a mobile interface on the web, or I may offer an app, you know, like we said before, written in graph ql or something and or sorry and react native. And so if I'm doing that, then having that option available as well also works. One thing that I'm wondering about, though, is the authentication flow and like permissions and security and things like that. Right, So, one thing that I'm working on right now is I'm trying to pull together like basically a dashboard for the podcasts that essentially, you know, I can say, okay, you guys are all hosts on Ruby Rogues and so you know, here are all the upcoming episodes. Here's all the prep information. Right, So instead of it going through zap year and Google Docs, which is what we're doing right now, you know, it just pops up a notification on your device and says, hey, you've got you got this new thing, you know, come check it out, come prep whatever you know, and stuff like that. But I'd like to be able to manage all that stuff on my phone, and so I'm not sure how to set things up so that the device can actually you know, authenticate. So they go to the login screen and React native and it sends the login information over the wire to graphql. Do I do my authentication through graphql or do I do it through a device rest endpoint and then just kind of pass around a JavaScript web token or how do you manage all that stuff?
Speaker 2: Fun thing is that when you try to find this out in the documentation, they say that we don't care about the authent authentication, just do it as you do it. Usually in this case, yes, you'll have to set up something token or device endpoint or something else. And in this case, when you do some old stuff, you don't have any shows you have to use rest because when you get the couple from let's say Facebook, gil have to set up this resting plant. But then when you have the token, you just put it somewhere into heater, into cookies as usual, and perform the authentication on the rails level, on the rest level. Because graph kl claims that it's transfer diagnostic and they don't care about the protocol vi use. They do care about the protocol vid USE.
Speaker 1: So I would put my token, say in the header or something like that, and then is there some level of checking that I can do before it executes a query?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's briefally talk about how graph kill CUSS is processed in RAILS. So there will be after you run the generator we discussed before, there will be a special role called graph curl. It will be posed because sometimes query is big enough to not fit into get your bests, So there will be a post into a special control which is called graphkill control with a single action called execute, and these control action contains a single culture graph caill schema. There is an object called graphicill schema. With the execute method, you pass your query, your variables that came from the land, and then you can pass a context. And context is just an object, a hash which can contain anything you want, and in our case it will contain current user object. So you can authenticate user to make a decision about his permissions and put it into the context. And these current users in the context will be available everywhere inside your graph kill tabs, resolvers, all that stuff. So it's pretty similar to just regular application control. We're all right every day. You also mentioned some authorization questions.
Speaker 6: This is the end plus one for the optimization.
Speaker 1: Did you freeze?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess people do that a lot when I ask some questions. I think it might be big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the question was about amplus one autimization. There is a big problem in graph call with amplus one because sometimes you get requests to feage some entity and a list of entities inside of this entity, and if you miss something, there is a chance that you want to make a joint in your database and you will have a lot of small database calls. Just a classical and plus one problem, but it's a little bit different in graphkill work because there is a channel that you will make a ton of smaller quests during the one graph killer request. And there are a lot of solutions to this problem. So the most simple and native approach is to just eagle lodge everything you need. When your application is small enough, you can just you know, list all the possible associations on the top level in your career tap and they will be loaded. Sometimes it works because some applications are small enough, and also there is no alternative solution. I have a gem called active cot lasery Lot. It works in exact same way, but it doesn't really lodge every think you listed right now. It loads it as soon as someone tries to access the association. In this case, you can list everything you need, but it won't make a lot of requests on the request that you need to make. But of course it doesn't really work on the huge applications, so there is a different solution. The solution is called loc ahead and it's a part of Graphical Ruby a GM. The idea is that you always can ask the execution engine if it wants to feish a specific field on any level you want. So, for instance, when you're resolving a user who can have orders, you can ask, hey, are going to lot orders right now? And if it says that you're going to lot orders, you can make a special quest to database to a wed DLUS one. And the last, the most complex solution but it works in huge applications, is called graphkel Badge is a GM by Shopify. The idea is that they use leasier resolving. They stop resolving your field as soon as it understands that you're going to have a possible DUS one. It collects all the ideas that it wants to lod and then makes a single request for all the entities who wanted a lot and then just puts the data into the slots. Let's say, so I think and one problem is solvable in this case.
Speaker 1: So another thing we have on our list of discussion points is caching. So does I guess where does that cashing occur? Because if you can kind of request anything with graphuel, then I'm assuming that it happens at a lower level where it caches the fields or the result that it gets somehow and then builds the response from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a lot of problems with catching. So first of all, as I mentioned, graphicular requests are usually post requests and it's impossible to use HP cash with pots, and there is a solution for that. There is a special technique called graph ciel persisted queries. The idea is that when you send a requests to the server from the client, sometimes you know that you're going to send these requests more and more the same one, and in this case you can just send a fingerprint of this request. There is a special way to calculate these fingerprint that is known by sir end client and this you can send the fingerprint and severe knows what he wants to return and if it doesn't know what queer you want to make it to a respond that he doesn't know about the query and ask the full version. When you use this technique, you can use get requests because there is no chance that you will send these huge quier using GAT. In this case, you can use aestification if you want, as far as I remember, it's possible to do it, you think, using GRACoL Ruby, but only in pro version. So I've written my own jem for that.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. So essentially what you're saying is that, Yeah, you can create a fingerprint for the query that you made, and then you can make a get request and take advantage of the HTTP cashing anyway, as long as you're working the exact same query.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because of the variables, you usually make the same requests from not only a single client, but from all the clients for the same version, so most of the time you have cash hit.
Speaker 1: Then does it invalidate the cash responses if some data changes, like does it keep track of it the same way that rails does for other cashing.
Speaker 2: So in this case we don't really care about the invaliation because we cash on the queer itself. So the text of the quer and estification has to be invalidated by RAILS. So many there is no solution. I tried to implement something, but stopped and figured out that we need to use a different solution. There is an idea that we can cash graph car responses. From the first perspective, it seems like it's impossible because each time client makes requests, it can ask for any data we want, but it's possible to catch the part of the query that you don't want to resolve each time. For instance, when you have the econmerce set and you have a list of popular items, you probably want to show the same list of popular items to everyone, and you don't want to go to the database to fage them. That's why we created a special gem for that called Graphy of Ammunication. It was extracted from one of Evil Martials projects, initially implemented by Blood mendument If and Nicola Switchkov. The idea was that we want to remember the part of the response, and when a client wants to get the same thing, we just take the part of this song from the cash from Redis or somewhere else and just send it to the client without resolving it. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to do it in grapt you rubly because there were no mechanisms to stop executions, so I had to make a poor quest to add this mechanism. So right now it's possible to use these being even if you're not using the JAM. But when you use the gym, you can specify the cash gear it will be built by the JAM, and of course you can always invalidate this cash if you want, and also you can also specify time to live.
Speaker 5: That seems super useful. All right, So is there anything else Dmitri that you feel like maybe we should be doing with GRAPHQL that's sort of not common practice, Like is there best practice that we've sort of missed or anything along those lines that we just haven't gotten to today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we could talk about some best practices. Some of them are so similar to things we do in rest, but a little bit different because it's a different technology. So there are some possible security issues that can happen with you when you're used in graph kill. So, as we mentioned before, it's possible to ask everything you want, but there is a chance that a client will make requests that will just blow up your database because it will be a huge select with a lot of giants. And there is a solution for that, as far as I remember it's not a part of the specification, but most of the collabraries have these build chain. The idea is that they calculate the depth or the quer and the complexity. Depth is amount of entities you touch when you go down the graph and complexity is a complex method that includes amount of fields you are grassed, depth and so on. And you can limit these two variables on your execution engine. In this case, when someone tries to make a huge request that you know that won't be made by your real clients, it will just ask the client to make a simpler one. I guess we didn't face such promost with the rest. And also there is one more interesting thing. As we mentioned before, it's possible to expose your schema to have let's say public documentation. But also in this case, it's possible to see your testitious chema using graph heel because there is a special incode introspection, you can make queriers to see the schema. I'm not sure why it's dangerous, but some security specialists think that it's security problem that we should add introspection from public users because they don't really need to see it and use it only in development. And maybe stanging environments, so sometimes it makes sense to turn off introspection into the production environment. There is a special setting for that in graphlo rob which you can just turn it off and it disappears forever to be impossible to ask for this data.
Speaker 1: I'm going to change the topic unless there's more to the best practices.
Speaker 2: There's one more thing to mention. There are some best practices related to code which would be hard to discuss without who can't get code, like we shouldn't expose data from other entities, all this stuff.
Speaker 4: So I have a small.
Speaker 2: RoboCop extension for that which will help you to check your code. Of course these rules have been edd because it was great by me, but sometimes it may be helpful.
Speaker 3: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: How do you test your graph QL? You just make a bunch of queries? Is there a better way to do it?
Speaker 2: So it depends. There are two ways that I'm aware of. The first one is making querers, So you can just make a test for like graphical controller. So you define your quer, then call the controller, and then make the request to call your controller, and then you'll check the response if it much to the DT do you expect or not? But when you write a lot of such tests. It sounds repetitive. So there are two ways that you can await it. The first one is to write a shared context in respect. In this case you have some kind of DASL that you will handle things for you. Or there is a different approach that I heard of. There is a gem called fixed trauma. The idea is that you put all the data you want to check to yamo files, define a single test and just have a lot of folders with these yamo files, like what you ask for, what you expect and if you'll just compare the result with the dat do you expected to get It sounds like to be cool to test types directly, but right now it's impossible because of the Graftco Ruby architecture. It's impossible to just create type objects from the crete and ask it to shallize something for you because it's heavily relies on the execution engine. So right now it's not possible, but maybe it will change in the future.
Speaker 5: Did what Chuck did or Dave, You guys were complaining a little bit about it earlier, Did you guys do any testing with graph QO when you did your implementation?
Speaker 4: It is this testing that you speak of test is a four letter word, right, all right, all right, Now, I did tinker around with it, but I didn't dive into it too much, and it was really just simple mini tests. Just make a request, expect this back, I got it back. I mean, it's really not too too different than doing other tests when the rest API.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most of my testing was manual because I was more playing with it than actually trying to get something out of it. But having spent time on some of the front end systems, I mean, that's where graph ql is really really nice, especially if you're using something like a that just gives you a whole bunch of powerful features out of the box. Anything else, any other thoughts or advice.
Speaker 2: Nothing on the top of my head. The only thing I wanted to mention is that I'm surprised that no one asks about the performance, because sometimes people think that it's so hard to mark these huge graphicel requests and then respond to them, and that graph gill add some overhead to your processing. I tried to improve it and figure it out that it's not that big problem. I have a benchmark that tests the memory consumption by graph keel would be compared with jacent APAI, which I mean gcon Pei standard that makes the similar thing that graphicell does, and there is no significant difference between them. And also I tried to process really be queer, like there were eight fields and each field had ensted an unested entity with eight fields and so on four times. So that was a really cuture request and it took like one second process, which is a big amount of ten. But we usually don't make such requests, and that's why I do not recommend to you badging that I was meanted before. And also after I published these benchmark things became better because right now there is a new execution engine in Cyangraphic Orbit, so things are in foster now, so I can say that it doesn't really add any or to your system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't bring up performance because rails can't scale.
Speaker 3: So it's cool. People that don't know how to use the tool can't make it work. I think that's normal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so instead they reach for stuff like react.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, I definitely not trying to No, No, it's fine.
Speaker 1: We can all pity the Jango devs. Anyway, any other thoughts or things that we want to bring up before we go to picks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, why can't we just send sequel over website?
Speaker 3: People do this probably somewhere.
Speaker 4: We're supposed to buy everything in a C data tag.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, there we go. Sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's do some pics, Dave. Why don't you start us with picks?
Speaker 4: All right, So I recently got a star Tech under desk computer mount to free up some desk pace, and this thing is really cool. I mean, granted I now hit the computer with my knee a bit, but having it off the desk is really nice. So that's my first pick, and sur probably my computer weighs like thirty five almost forty pounds, and it supports the weight nicely. And then the second pick is not to offens. So with the age of digital learning and two of my three soon to be four kids we're expecting if you didn't.
Speaker 6: Know, they congratulations.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think after three kids it's supposed to be condolences, but thank you.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I have five. You're going to name the next one Pearl.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 4: No, I've been xnayed on any more develope programmer kid names. I already got Ruby, so that's that's a win. But with these computers that ended up building for them. I just went to my local microcenter and bought a whole bunch of parts. One thing I forgot to get was case fans. It came with one case fan on the back for exhaust, but I didn't have any intakes, and so I had some spare RX five eight graphics cards and did some load testing and let the kids play some games, and that case got super hot. So I went out and on Amazon ordered a couple of Noctua case fans and those things are amazing. Not only they quiet even when they ramp up, but it made a huge difference in the cooling of the PC case.
Speaker 6: So No.
Speaker 4: Two Evans is my second pick, as well as just like case fans in general, having enough of them.
Speaker 5: Congrats on your kid, by the way, and I'll also thumb up not to I think they make pretty reasonably good fans.
Speaker 3: They're usually belliant fans.
Speaker 1: Did I was going to say something dumb, but I didn't, John, What.
Speaker 3: Are your picks?
Speaker 5: I feel like I should recommend like some general type fans which you can't like buy anymore or something like that. But they used to make these really cool fans that were like super silent, but they're like impossible to get super expensive now. So this week I just like want to to give some pretty much a shout out to let because I think that a lot of people are.
Speaker 3: Familiar with sticker Mule. Yes, thank you. I just had the name like five minutes ago and I just forgot it. Whatever.
Speaker 5: Anyway, best experience ever getting stickers every time. I have gotten stickers from multiple places in the past, and then a few years ago I switched and started using sticker Mule and I just got stickers again recently, and they're just so like flipping amazing to work with. And they let you freaking cut out your stickers in the shape of your sticker, which is exactly what I want.
Speaker 3: So they're awesome. Just saying they're doing icons or something. Yeah, they're great.
Speaker 4: I put them out in the sun rather, I do the bumper test, So I put a sticker on my bumper and see how it fares to the weather. I've had a bunch of stickers which just faded over of course of two months. Any Sticker Mule sticker I put on the back of my car has always lasted years and years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're pretty awesome and as far as pricing goes, like I don't know. I feel like they end up somehow meant managing to be cheaper too than like already get them from like Moo or something.
Speaker 3: So yeah. Also Moo doesn't do the weird shapes that I want. That's it. That's my pick.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Yeah, I like stick from Mule theer awesome, Luke, what are your picks?
Speaker 7: I've got one for fans. This is a an EESC. It's speed controller for a drone motor. Can get them for about twenty thirty dollars or up. And this is controlled by the same PWM signal that your computer fans run off, and the vultage going in on this particular one will.
Speaker 6: Run off a twelve rail.
Speaker 7: If you want to put it in your PC case, you can hook up the minus twelve and a twelve and run really quite insane one of these. So if you want to make a really ridiculous computer fan, you can hook one of these up with a cheap drone motor and get them for again about twenty bucks and put a carbon five propeller on it, and that will move the most amazing amount of air your PC has ever seen. It's really unsafe, obviously, because it's designed to lift. It's designed to lift things, not to provide a gentle airflow. But if you want, if you miss truly silent fans, that is a great way to get a totally silent fan. I've used one in the past. It's really hot here, so I've used one for as a like a desk fan. Obviously cats is not safe around cats.
Speaker 3: How many of those does it take to lift up your computer case?
Speaker 7: Oh? Sure, So this particular model you can get about three kilos of frost out of it if you really push it and you get everything matched up.
Speaker 3: So if you.
Speaker 7: Okay, if you yeah, as long as you've got a big enough peller, you can lift anything, right. It's kind of so my pick for the week is not very dangerous computer pans. It is my server request stack, my much maligned Engine's Passenger Huma stack, which I'm using, and that is my pick.
Speaker 6: You might not like it, but I picked it.
Speaker 7: And part of a motivation for this was a post by the Passenger blog which talks about combating slow Loris deedoss attacks by stacking up enginets and matter compuber and a. They explain part of the motivation behind it. So that's my picklog post by Fusion from Partying like it's twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Awesome. I'm going to jump in here with a couple of picks myself. The first pick is, I've been reading these books by Brent Weeks. The first book is called The Black Prism and it's high fantasy. Really really been enjoying these books. I'm on book four right now. I can't remember what the name of the book is, so don't ask. But anyway, the Black Prism is the first book, and I guess the series is called the light Bringer Series. And anyway, I've been listening to it on Amazon. It's narrated by Simon Vance, who's an awesome narrator. So I'll put links in for the book and I'll drop my affiliate link for Audible because that's where I'm consuming it and really really enjoying it. And yeah, that's going to be my pick for today. Dmitri, Do you have some picks for us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just thought about the email I've got yesterday that this year, as usually, will have a October first in October, so that will be my big guess.
Speaker 1: Awesome, And if people want to connect with you online, do you have a blog or GitHub or Twitter or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will send your links to my GitHub and Twitter profile. And also I sometimes write articles in the Evil Marshalls book, mostly biographical and the based stuff.
Speaker 1: Cool. All right, folks, we'll wrap this one up and until next time. That's out.