Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy Kig.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up, good morning. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, November nineteenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Coming in this morning, little Chili. I got to turn on the seat warmers in my car again. I love it. I love the chill in the air because it finally feels like it's fall because you know, until like two weeks ago, it was ninety degrees. Here, lots going on today, so let's get right to it. We're locked and loaded. Owait can we say that? Cono's like, eh, that might be a little iffy, not quite politically correct. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. The LA City Council is going to consider adopting a sanctuary city ordinance to prohibit any city resources or personnel from helping federal enforcement of immigration laws. The move comes after President elect Trump said illegal immigrants will be deported starting on day one of his presidency at the bottom of the hour. Actually, we're going to find out how President elect Trump plans to deport millions of illegal immigrants and whether he can actually get it done with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, And that's coming up at about five point thirty. Democratic challenger Derek Tran has added sixty six votes to his razor thin lead over Republican incumbent Representative Michelle Steele. The count released yesterday moves Tran one hundred and two votes ahead in the forty fifth congressional district race. It's not known how many ballots are still left to be counted. President elect Trump is expected to attend the sixth launch of the SpaceX starship prototype in South Texas today. A planned launch yesterday had to be delayed. Trump's expect to arrive just before the launch window opens at five pm Eastern. People are dumping X and seeing blue skies. But can can that social platform really cross out X. We're gonna find out with ABC's Mike Debuski in just a minute. That nasty cough, is it just a cold or something more? We're going to find out about that with ABC's Jim Ryan. That's at five twenty and then at five point fifty. Joel Larsgard has a warning for those of you getting into online sports betting and also how you can save a lot shopping online. I personally have been doing this with an app that does all the searching for savings for you. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom says he will not be offering clemency to the Menendez brothers, at least for now. Alex Stone says, instead, Newsom will defer to the newly elected La County DA.
Speaker 3: DA elect Nathan Hawkman defeated current DA George Gascone, who has been pushing for the Menendez brothers release. Governor Newsom saying, quote, the voters have been did dat Hawkman to carry out this responsibility.
Speaker 1: Hawkman says, once in office, Hill review all of the evidence and confidential files before deciding how to move forward. Twenty two people have had to be rescued from a ride at Knott's Berry Farm. They got stuck on the Soul Spin ride yesterday for more than two hours. The park says technical difficulties caused the ride to Stopf's Tammy Tree. Truehio says some people were stuck sideways on the ride and they were stuck several stories up in the air.
Speaker 4: Orange County firefighters and paramedics were on standby in case they were needed, but the Theme parks employees finally were able to manually lower the ride back to the ground. Most of the riders were seen walking away from the ride once it was on the ground.
Speaker 1: A park spokesperson says two riders were taken to the hospital to be evaluated out of an abundance of caution. Have you ever been stuck on a ride like that? I know, we got taken off the ride at Disneyland. It was the Indiana Jones ride one time. But that we just had to get out of the car and walk out. Nothing's stuck in the air like that. That freaks me out. Russia's Defense ministry says Ukraine has fired six US made missiles at Russia's Bryansk region, which borders Ukraine. The ministry says it's shot down five of them and damaged one. The announcement comes shortly after the Biden administration lifted restrictions on Ukraine using the US made missiles to strike Russia.
Speaker 3: The balistic missiles, known as attackerms, have a maximum range of one hundred and ninety miles, but they've only been authorized to be used in Russia's cursed.
Speaker 2: Region for now.
Speaker 1: ABCC and Panels says Russia has accused the US of escalating tensions in Ukraine and throwing fuel on the fire as the world marks one thousand days of war in Ukraine. More than six and a half million Southern California residents are expected to get out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday. Triple A of Southern California says that's almost three percent higher than last year, which was a record setting year for travel. It's also higher than travel before the pandemic. Five point million will travel by car, almost seven hundred thousand will fly. Nationally, almost eighty million people are expected to travel, which will make it the busiest Thanksgiving holiday for travel. Ever, let's say good morning now to ABC's Mike Debuski.
Speaker 5: Blue Sky Smiling at Me.
Speaker 1: Mike's social media's users are flocking to Blue Sky.
Speaker 6: See I like it. They are.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, I'm so overwhelmed by the intro music.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we had to give you a good lead in.
Speaker 7: Thank you, I appreciate that. Yeah, no, you're absolutely right. Though blue Sky is an alternative social media network is a good way to think about it. It actually started as an internal project at Twitter back when that company was.
Speaker 2: Actually called Twitter. This is several years ago.
Speaker 7: It's going to be this idea that Twitter could interoperate with other social media networks so you could see tweets on your Facebook feed and interact with them and like them and that sort of thing. It never really went anywhere, but after Elon Musk took over this platform in twenty twenty two, blue Sky spun off and kind of became its own independent thing, a small but bustling challenger to the sort of main Twitter apparatus.
Speaker 1: But in the recent weeks, the a lot of people have migrated over to blue Sky. Are the people who are joining blue Sky dumping X or are they just adding it to their social media list?
Speaker 7: So the first thing to note here is that it's hard to get firm data on why people decide to sign up for one social media network or leave another. It's kind of difficult to track, like one person going from one platform to a different platform. However, like some things are happening at the same time that we can read the tea leaves of So blue Sky surpassed fifteen million users last week. This morning, it is quickly closing in on twenty million users. And to put that all into context, Amy blue Sky had just under nine million users this time last month, so this pretty much doubled in size over the last month or so. It's again hard to understand why someone would, you know, or if rather a user is dropping X to sign up for blue Sky, or whether they're just adding it to their repertoire. But this has coincided with a rise in deactivations at X. One hundred and fifteen thousand web visitors in the United States on November seventh deactivated their X accounts. That's according to similar Web That coincided with this spike in Blue Sky sign ups. That has led some to believe that people are leaving X in the days after the election in order to sign up for an alternative like blue Sky.
Speaker 1: Okay, for reference, you just said that blue Sky's approaching twenty million. How many users does.
Speaker 7: X have, Jenny, So again hard to know because they are a private company and they don't actually share that data with us. But the best guesses indicate that there's about six hundred and eleven million users on X, so that is, you know, a huge company as compared to the twenty million that we're talking about on Blue Sky. Another competitor out there from Meta called Threads, they have two hundred and seventy five million users, so they're kind of right in the middle there. However, the other shade to think about here is not just like users and how many people have accounts on these platforms, but rather what goes viral.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: Twitter, back when it was called Twitter, was never huge, right, It never really rivaled Facebook or even Instagram when it came to usership. However, its influence on our culture and our conversations and you know, what gets discussed on cable news and what politicians are paying attention to. There, it had a huge influence, right. It was a big driver of news and conversation. Many are pointing to Blue Sky as kind of the new place to do that as X has rolled back content moderation guidelines, and some users have complained that the quality of experience on that platform has declined along with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we're gonna have to wait and see, because twenty millions, kind of a drop in the buck.
Speaker 2: Dropping the pan compare it comparatively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to go back to Friday Night for a minute, because, of course, there was the big fight between Mike Tyson and Jake Paul on Netflix, and aside from the fight itself, what went wrong.
Speaker 7: Netflix really went wrong, it seems like. So this was a live streamed event. Maybe not the first thing you think about when you think about Netflix. They're kind of stock in trade is pre recorded content, TV shows and that sort of thing. But yeah, they've been dabbling with live streamed content in the last year or so. The Love Is Blind Dating Show they had a reunion episode that was live streamed earlier this year. And John Mulaney, the comedian, he held a late night show once for the entirety of a week earlier this year as well, that was also live streamed. This is kind of a bigger echalon of popularity for a live stream Netflix event. This is the Mike Tyson Jake Paul fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: Sixtenty five million viewers at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what Netflix was saying.
Speaker 7: Jake Paul for his part, so there were one hundred and twenty million viewers so I don't know what the disparity there is necessarily, but there were undoubted a lot of eyeballs on this, and that's what you know, people who kind of operate in this space, the live streamed event space say was probably what went wrong right the live stream went down, the picture quality was corrupted. Also, some of the camera work just wasn't that good. A cameraman got kicked in the head by a cheerleader in this event, for examples. So that's part of this as well, and that all has sort of contributed to this skepticism of Netflix's live stream events going forward. Right on Christmas Day, they're going to live stream a couple of NFL games. This is a big moment for them. The Kansas City Chiefs are going to play a game that's going to be live streamed on Netflix, and they won the Super Bowl, so that is going to get a lot of attention. With this live stream event that netted sixty five million viewers going this way, it has caused some to question whether that live stream is going to be robust enough to handle the viewership that it will inevitably take in. And in addition to that, amy next year, Netflix is set to start streaming Monday Night Raw, which also draws in a lot of eyes.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully they'll work out the bugs with some of these lead ups to things like football on Christmas Day. They can have pixel eighth and it can't have any cameramen getting kicked by.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, Well that just shrems to how complicated these are.
Speaker 7: Right, there's the technical issue of actually broadcasting this live to the millions of viewers, but there's also the you got to make sure your cameramen are okay and your commentators are okay and all that sort of thing. It's it's kind of a new territory for Netflix that they're just not used to yet. It seems like we'll have to see if that changes. In the next fure We'll.
Speaker 1: Be watching ABC's Mike Debuski. Thank you so much, all ready, take you talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour News from parents at Richland Avenue Elementary and West LA have called for security cameras to be installed after racist graffiti was found on the school marquee, likely over Veterans Day weekend.
Speaker 2: So disgusting. Yeah, there's no place for that type of inter racist garbage in our society.
Speaker 5: The things that we've experienced in our country over the last few years have just been terrifying, and to think that hate is growing at a level where it's literally in my backyard brings me into a state of panic.
Speaker 1: The graffiti was removed by Monday. An online petition urging the installation of cameras is gaining support. The La School Police Department is investigating the graffiti as a hate crime, and La County Sheriff's deputy who fatally shot a suicidal man in East LA may be offered a plea deal. Deputy Remen Paneda is accused of unjustly shooting David or Daz Junior in March of twenty twenty one. The possible plea deal would not include prison time or does. His family has objected to that.
Speaker 2: We're not saying a life for a life.
Speaker 8: We're not saying give him one hundred years and why in jail. We're saying give him what he deserves for what he did.
Speaker 1: The man's sister, Hilda Padroza, has called police, saying her brother was suicide suicidal and had a knife. A court hearing for Paneda is set for later this morning. A homeowner who shot and killed a barrett his home in the Sanbourneandino Mountains will not be in any trouble for it. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife says the homeowner was justified in shooting the bear last week in Arrow Bear Lake. The homeowner says the bear was getting into his chicken coop. He had called the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department previously saying that same bear had charged at him. Students from USC are reaching new heights.
Speaker 9: A team from the university's Rocket Propulsion Lab launched a rocket it had traveled more than eighty nine miles above earth that set an amateur record that wasn't broken for twenty years. The students launched what they call after Shock two last month in Nevada's Black Rock Desert, but the data from the launch had to be analyzed and confirmed. The rocket reached the speed of three thousand, six hundred two miles per hour. USC Department Chair of Astronautical Engineering Dan Irwin says that this project is a testament to the excellence they seek to develop in emerging engineers who go on to achieve top roles in the space industry. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: Santa Anna is making moves to clear out homeless camps in the city. The city is doing it following a recent Supreme Court ruling in favor of cities that want to enforce anti camping laws. The mayor says she plans to propose a new ordinance that prohibits sleeping in public areas or on benches. Critics say that kind of law would criminalize homelessness. President elect Trump is confirmed he's planning to kick illegal immigrants out of the US when he takes office. A post on Trump's Truth Social said the incoming administration is prepared to declare a national emergency and use military assets for a mass deportation program. Trump responded to the post with simply true. We're going to find out how he plans to pull it off with kfi's White House correspondent John Dekker. That's coming up at five thirty. The coach who led the La Lakers to four NBA championships in the eighties is getting a statue outside Crypto dot com arena. Pat Riley, who's currently the president of the Miami Heat, won a total of six NBA championships with the Lakers. Others immortalized in the plaza outside the Lakers' home arena include Elgin Baylor, Kobe Bryant, Chick Heern, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neil, Kareem abdul Jabbar, and Jerry West. Riley's statue will be unveiled in twenty twenty six. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim that cough. It might not just be a cold.
Speaker 10: Huh, well, yeah, you're right, it might not be, and certainly let's hope that it is, because whooping cough is going on and it's making a major comeback. Amy. You know, we've seen declines over the last several years, and a lot of that had to do with the pandemic because people, especially kids, were at home most of the time and when they went out, they were protecting themselves with masks and hand washing and all the rest. Well, now they're being exposed again to protestas or whooping cough, and the numbers are beginning to rise. It's not a cold, it's not the flu. Let me play this little piece of audio from the Center'sport Disease Control and Prevention. The website, they actually post an audio clip of what whooping cough sounds like. It's that distinctive kind of sealed part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh my gosh, it just breaks your heart time. I know, it's a little tiny kid.
Speaker 10: Little kids suffering. Then the younger the child, you know, and the infants if they have wopping cough or protesters, they don't cough, they just get apnea, they don't breathe. That can lead to brain damage. They can end up with pneumonia. So, you know, the younger the child, the worst the condition can become. But it's something that anybody can catch me.
Speaker 1: Okay, but are kids more susceptible than adults or is it just more noticeable because they are.
Speaker 10: I mean, it's highly contagious. This is a bacterial infection. It can be caused by coughing among kids. But no, you know, anybody can get it. And the younger you are, the greater the risk. The older you are. If you're at the opposite end, you're at great risk as well, especially if you haven't a compromised immune system. It's like anything else. And yeah, the numbers have been rising. LA County has reported more than two hundred and six cases. That was the end of October, so safe to assume that these numbers have risen dramatically since then. That's that's several times higher than it was last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you look at the numbers, two hundred and sixty doesn't seem like a lot, but maybe in comparison it is. How and how is it spread just by contact like a cold?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, just by coughing, you know, by the spray. The same sort of thing that we learned during COVID nineteen. The things you should try to avoid, you know, wearing a mask if you go out if you don't feel well, even if you do feel wealthy around people who aren't feeling well, if they're sick and they're not masking up, then go ahead and mask up, you know, holding your cough, coughing into the crook of your arm, if you don't feel well. The same sorts of things that we learned during COVID nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there a vaccine for it?
Speaker 10: There is the dift tet Remember that the dift tt back. The vaccine covers DiPT theoria, tetanus, and protussis, which is whooping cough. Then kids are supposed to get this. You know, the law used to require it, but some parents now can opt out if they don't want to get their kids vaccinated, and that's catching fire around the country. If you look at a national map of states where people are opting out and deciding that their kids won't be vaccinated for whatever reason. Maybe it's religious reasons, maybe it's because they read something on the internet. Maybe they think their kids going to get autism, they don't get their kids vaccinated, and so that kind of sentiment is catching fire here vaccine hesitancy or mistrust, and that may be part of the reason that we're seeing this increase.
Speaker 1: Because we're also seeing measles again, which is pretty much gone, but all of a sudden it's back too. Well.
Speaker 10: Even whooping cough was pretty much gone, and bubonic plague and other things that polio illnesses that we thought had been essentially wiped out, Well here they come again.
Speaker 1: Okay, And is protessis or whooping cough is that seasonal or is it just kind of there all the time?
Speaker 10: It is kind of seasonal.
Speaker 2: It's like the flu.
Speaker 10: You can get the vaccine anytime, but you know, this is the time of year that we're going to start more, and that's probably because people are inside, at least in this part of the country, it's getting cooler, and kids will be inside and the parents will be inside and kind of cooped up and exposing each other to the Germans they brought in.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, I would be interested to find out. And I don't know this, and I don't know if you know this, but you know, we were talking about hand washing, and during COVID, everybody's like, wash your hands for twenty seconds. I still wash my hands pretty obsessively, but I don't know that I do it for twenty seconds. I'm wondering how much that's fallen off and if that's also contributing.
Speaker 10: Well, could I think each of those little steps that people take hand washing, you know, shielding their coughs, wearing masks, those sorts of things, each one kind of adds up to better protection. One hundred percent protection, No, and the vaccine isn't even one hundred percent protection. But just try to do what you can, including washing your hands, whether it's for five, fifteen, twenty seconds or not. But each of those little things is a building block to help keep you safe and protected and healthy. There is treatment for protessis.
Speaker 1: To ask you that next.
Speaker 10: Yeah, ionics can be prescribed. That's what doctors will do. If you bring your kid in and your child is diagnosed with protussa's. There are antibiotics and they're pretty effective. You got to catch it early though.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're listening for that yes in the cough and if that's your signals.
Speaker 10: We're like a seals bark, call your doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much, Jami, all right. New missions rules for diesel vehicles could kill motor home sales in California.
Speaker 2: I think that everyone knows that it's not right.
Speaker 11: So I'm hopeful that we'll be able to get some sort of an exemption in the future.
Speaker 1: Here, Brent de Martini and his dad own De Martini RV sales in Grass Valley. RV industry lobbyists are trying to find an exemption for motor homes without one. The amended Advanced Clean Truck Regulations past last month by the California Air Resources Board would effectively ban the sale of motor homes in California starting next year. Some people who live in Tarzana say they're worried about drugs and vandalism in their neighborhoods, which they blame on the homeless crisis. They say most of the crime is happening near Receipta Boulevard and Bessemer Street. This resident tells KTLA it goes on day and night.
Speaker 2: I used to go out for morning walks around the neighborhood. I'm afraid to do that at this point.
Speaker 7: I've considered selling my house because I just don't feel safe in my neighborhood.
Speaker 1: He says. Residents are also concerned about graffiti, fires, and people using the streets as restrooms. President elect Trump's pick for defense secretaries come under more scrutiny. ABC's Mary Bruce says more questions are being asked about Fox News hosts Pete Hegseth.
Speaker 8: Peg Seth's attorney now acknowledges he paid a financial settlement to a woman who accused him of sexual assault in twenty seventeen. Hag Seth's lawyer says the encounter with the woman was actually consensual.
Speaker 1: She says Heggsas lawyer says Heggsess paid her anyway because he believed any public accusation would result in his immediate termination from Fox. A Pentagon report says a UFO nearly hit a commercial airliner off the coast of New York. If I Scott Carr says the report documents hundreds of incidents involving balloons, satellites, and birds.
Speaker 9: The report details what was described by members of the flight crew as a cylindrical object flying over the Atlantic Ocean and almost crashing into the commercial jet.
Speaker 1: He says some other cases involved military jets being followed by UFOs. These reported encounters were talked about at a congressional hearing last week in Washington, d C. Governor Newsom says Eric and Lyle Menendez will not receive clemency, at least not yet. Newsom says he wants to see what New La County DA Nathan Hakman wants to do about the case first before he then makes his decision on clemency. A judge has struck down Wyoming's overall ban on abortion and it's first in the nation prohibition on the use of medication to end pregnancy. A Teton County District judge ruled that the laws violate women's rights under the state constitution. Thirty nine of the forty three monkeys that escape from a research facility in South Carolina have been recaptured the CEO of Alpha Genesis. The recaptured animals have walked back into the facility and into humane traps on their own. So far, all are reported to be in pretty good health at five point fifty. Joel Larsguard has a warning for those of you getting into online sports betting, and also how you can save a lot shopping online with an app that pretty much does all the searching for savings for you. Right now, let's say good morning to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. Good morning, John, Hey.
Speaker 11: Good morning to Amy. Thanks for having me on this morning.
Speaker 1: I hope this is the first of many discussions we will have now with President elect Trump about to take office. You are in the White House press pool, and so we're going to be checking in with you periodically because you're going to be the guy in the know, I'm sure.
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, looking forward to the second time for me covering a Trump White House. I cover the Trump White House for all four years that Donald Trump was in the first time, and look forward to covering the chaos that sometimes exists when Donald try Trump comes back to Washington. On January twentieth of next year.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say. Never a dull moment for you for the next for So, President elect Trump says on day one he's going to shut down the border. He's going to just start deporting eleven million plus illegal immigrants who've crossed into the US. And if you look at it, and I think it's probably really easy to say, harder to get done. So how is Trump going to plan to do this?
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's a massive undertaking. You just spoke about the numbers. At least eleven million migrants are living in the US illegally, and it would cost tens of billions of dollars to deport them all. And so how does Donald Trump do that? Well, first of all, the day he's sworn in, he will likely declare an emergency declaration as it relates to illegal immigration. That's perfectly permissible for a president. Where he comes perhaps under fire is using the National Guard to help out in the deportation process. Deputizing the now National Guard that certainly will face legal challenges, and those legal challenges could delay the effort of Donald Trump to carry out this mass deportation program.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if he makes the declaration and calls up the National Guarden says, we need you to come help. Could they start that while the legal challenges are coming, or would the legal challenges being filed immediately put a stop to any action.
Speaker 11: Well, it depends. It depends how a judge ultimately views this. A judge could agree to allow the process to continue while the legal process plays itself out. What is more likely is that there would be a temporary restraining order in the effort that Donald Trump would like to undertake, which would delay the process of this mass deportation program. And so that is something that we don't know how it's going, obviously going to play itself out. My guess is that it will not go as smoothly as Donald Trump would like. As you point out, eleven million is a massive number, a lot easier said than done in terms of deporting all of those individuals. And what we've learned amy is that the priority for the incoming administration in terms of deportation would be those who have a criminal background, either have committed crimes in the US, maybe serving time in jails and prisons in our country, or those who have a criminal background in terms of you know, committing crimes in the country that they initially came from.
Speaker 1: So that's an interesting point. So I mean, if they wanted to make an initial run at it, the people who are already incarcerated or in custody, those are the easy kind of the low hanging fruit, if you will. And I don't mean to be simplistic about this because we're dealing with people, but at least they know where those people are. The other question is, you know, we've heard numbers of hundreds of thousands of people with criminal records here in the US. How do you find them?
Speaker 11: Yeah, how do you find them? That's the big question, and that's obviously a difficult task, and that's where you know, various agencies come into play. It's not only law enforcement, it's the Department of Homeland Security that potentially has the ability to track some of that criminal element. The other unknown in this amy is this. You know, as you know, we the country, you and I rely on migrants every day in terms of the food that we put on our table. They pick our fruit, our vegetables, They work in the meat plants, and we're talking about a severe labor shortage. If you deport those individuals who are so critical in terms of the food supply chain that we rely on every day.
Speaker 1: So here's a question then that was there a labor shortage four years ago?
Speaker 11: Well, no, there wasn't a Why do you ask that particular.
Speaker 1: Question, Well, because since when Biden took office and he kind of opened up the borders and we saw the immigration or the illegal immigration numbers kind of skyrocket. So right, you know, we've had people in the country doing those farm jobs and I was wondering if more of them that came in, we're doing more farm jobs and that's going to create the shortage or are we going to go back to more of a status quo if he starts going after the people who are here illegally.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think, Look, this is not the top priority. Families are not the top priority. What Tom Homan. Tom Homan is the person that Donald Trump has several servants the borders are. What he has said in various interviews since being tapped to lead that position is that the priority really is the criminal element first and foremost. And I think for that you're not going to see as harsh a pushback, you know, I mean, who doesn't want our communities to be safer? You know, in terms of everything that we do on a daily basis. I think that when you get the pushback is when you get into the area of potentially breaking up families, you know, sending those so called dreamers back to their home country, or you know, sending those migrant workers who pick our fruit and vegetables back to their whole country. That's where you get the pushback. And so I think that the priority for the incoming administration seems to be right. And it's the message that Tom Homan, the incoming borders are has delivered in countless interviews.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's a question, because in California today, actually in La the city council is moving to codify La as a sanctuary city. It's coming up before the city council today, and basically that said that local law enforcement would not cooperate with federal officials trying to enforce those immigration laws. So would federal law trump local law when it comes to sanctuary cities.
Speaker 11: Yes, you know you're asking all these legal questions. I don't know if you know this, Amy, I'm also a lawyer.
Speaker 1: I do know that. That's why I'm asking you.
Speaker 11: You're coming to the right, You're coming to the right source. Yeah, federal law, especially as it relates to immigration matters, Trump's local and state law. This is where you just get into the realm of so many legal lawsuits that will be filed in the aftermath of Donald Trump, on his first day in office, declaring this emergency declaration as it relates to immigration, It's going to be a lot. There's going to be a lot of litigation in the early part of the Trump administration on this particular issue, and we'll.
Speaker 1: Have you to help us sort through it. So, John Decker, thank you so much. We appreciate the information and the insight and look forward to talking to you again soon.
Speaker 11: I look forward to have a great day.
Speaker 6: Amy.
Speaker 11: We'll talk soon.
Speaker 6: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The National Weather Services Southern California won't be affected by the first atmospheric river of the season. It's forecast to move into northern California this week. It's expected to dump up to three inches of rain to areas north of San Francisco and southern Oregon. Meteorologist Sebastian western says it shouldn't be infused with a bombs cyclone.
Speaker 6: The atmospheric river is mainly the component of moisture that is connected to the storm system, and the bomb cyclone is the storm system itself.
Speaker 1: He says. Weather models show southern California is likely to get some rain in the next week or two. President elect Trump is nominated former Wisconsin congressman and Fox Business host Sean Duffy to serve as a Secretary of Transportation, and he.
Speaker 2: Said that quote.
Speaker 9: During his time in Congress, Sean was a respected voice and communicator in the Republican Conference, advocating for fiscal responsibility, economic growth, and rural development.
Speaker 1: ABC Selena Wangs' is Duffy's credited with working with Democrats to clear legislative hurdles to build the largest road and bridge project in Minnesota history. Thousands of Boeing workers are being told they no longer have jobs. Alex Stone says the planemaker is trying to make a financial turnaround.
Speaker 3: As a part of Boeing's plan to shed seventeen thousand jobs globally. It has now told the government and legally mandated filings this week it's laying off near late twenty two. One hundred employees in Washington State in fifty more in Oregon.
Speaker 1: Stone says they'll stay until January seventeenth, which complies with federal mandates that companies give at least sixty days notice before a large layoff. John the Cannon stain Fresh Yeah Tay strike. People who drink Tropicana orange juice say they're not happy with the brand's new look. They say the bottle is shrunk, but the price is not. The new forty six ounce bottle is six ounces smaller. People have not been buying as much juice since the new bottle was introduced. Sales dropped nearly eleven percent in August and nineteen percent by October. Ooh, that shrinkage strikes again. These people will probably never complain again that rides are just too short. About two dozen part guests were stuck several stories in the air for more than two hours on a ride at knots Berry Farm. The OC Fire Authority says the sole Spin ride got stuck about two yesterday afternoon. Theme park employees we're able to get everyone off the ride by about four point thirty. It's not clear what caused the ride to become stuck. The La City Council is expected to adopt a sanctuary city ordinance during its meeting today. It'll set up a battle with incoming administration for President elect Trump, He's promised during his campaign that he would close the border and immediately start deporting people who've come to the US ilegally. Two more ski resorts are expected to open their slopes because of early snowfall. Heavenly Mountain Resort in South Lake Tahoe's going to open tomorrow. Palace Age, which used to be Squaw Valley, is going to open on Friday. Mount Rose became the first Tahoe area resort to open for the season when lifts started running earlier this month. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news, Russia's President Putin is not happy about the US giving Ukraine the ok to use US missiles to fire into Russia. What he's saying and what he's doing about it is coming up at six oh five. Let's say good morning to the host of How to Money on KFI, Joel Larscard. Good morning, Joel, Good morning Amy. Okay, so sports Gambler is basically becoming a big mess because of the way people are well, not the way they're doing it, but what funds they're using to make those bets.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean the fact they're doing it at all, But then kind of where the money is coming from is a problem. And so I've not been a fan of this the whole way through. And yet more and more states continue to legalize sports gambling, and if you turn on any sporting event, it's like you can't get away.
Speaker 2: From the marketing.
Speaker 7: It's all over the place, it's in your face and everything. It feels like it's conspiring against us to push us towards downloading these apps and to start making bets on our favorite sports teams. But there was this new paper and to me, it was pretty revelatory about just where people are taking this money that they're using to gamble on sports.
Speaker 2: And first off, like.
Speaker 7: The sheer volume of dollars flowing into sports gambling is kind of baffling. There's one hundred and twenty billion dollars in bets were made on sporting events over the past year. How much so one hundred and twenty billion. Wow, that's a lot of people just from on the app on their smartphone, just kind of plugging away and betting on their favorite team, favorite player, and the kinds of bets you can make are getting more nefarious too, right, Like just some of the parlays and stuff like that. It's getting more intricate the kind of gambling you can do. If like you're a degenerate gambler, like this is the perfect place for you.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 7: Well, when you look at this white paper basically found that where people take money from to gamble on sports, well it's not coming from their entertainment budget. It's coming from the money they would have otherwise invested in the stock market for their future. So to me, that shouts yikes as well, Like if you are thoughtful about the money you gamble on sports, you've got limits in place, and you say, listen, this is like a lah Netflix or going out to eat or something like that. That's where I'm clawing money from so that I can gamble on sports. Then I'm okay with that, I guess, Like, I mean, I prefer you not, but like you do what you do. You But if you're taking it money that you would have otherwise invested for your future, not only are you likely losing it in the here and now, but then you're also you know, making it harder for your eventual retirement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so if you must do sports betting, be mindful of what money, what little buckets you're using to fund that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you're rolling back your four one K contributions or your roth Ira contributions in order to gamble more on sports today, massive red flag for me. And I just want to say, like, that's going to that's going to do irreparable harm to your ability to grow your net worth and to grow your wealth. So please please please avoid that. Find a way to say this is entertainment money. I'm taking it from that category. I'm reducing spending in other entertainment categories that I used to enjoy. If that's something you enjoy, I totally get it. People like to go to Vegas and spend a little money here and there. But this is more Ino faries because you don't actually have to travel like you can do it yeah from and granted it's still illegal in many states, including California, but doesn't mean people aren't doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's how I like you mentioned going to Vegas, Like I pretty much don't gamble aside from the you know, every once in a while and get to make a million ticket or something. But like generally I go to Las Vegas if I want to gamble, I don't just gamble kind of willy nilly. It's a plan thing. I've got budget for it. It's you know, so it's not just random mindless spending.
Speaker 7: Right, And like even then there are people who go and they're like, I've got a strict four hundred dollars limit, right, And then they're pulling money out of the ATM, and so you have to be careful, but it's it's I think it's just so much easier to get out over your skis with these gambling apps at your fingertips, and so more and more people are getting into trouble and where they're pulling their money from it just means they're gonna they're putting their future selves in more trouble too.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I want to switch gear to saving a little bit of money, and this is something that I'm actually using the Capital one rewards. Did you get a chance to dig into that a little.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't looked, so I know that it exists.
Speaker 7: I know that there are these shopping portals essentially that'll help you save money doing the shopping. You were already doing Capital One has.
Speaker 1: That, right, Yeah, so you just sign up for it. And I'm always leary to sign up for anything, but I thought, because you're always looking at ways to save money, that this might be cool for you. So it says, Okay, here you are, here's your email, and we'll let you know when there's a deal. Like So sometimes I get emails saying, hey, if you shop at CBS, you're going to get an extra five percent off or something like that. But sometimes when I go in to a website directly and I start ordering things, a window pops up and it says, hey, here's a code to save you fifteen percent, and so you just get the money right off the top. You put the code in, and I just did it. I ordered some some I ordered some lip gloss yesterday and it happened again.
Speaker 7: So I like the things that are when they're running in the background and they're basically you're already on the website that you're planning to do a make a transaction on, and then you get the code that pops up and you're like, oh cool, I'm just I'm saving more than I thought I was going to on the thing I was already planning on buying, So I think.
Speaker 1: That's going to buy it anyway, and now I got an extra ten or fifteen percent off, so that was that's a win in my in my.
Speaker 2: Mind totally, I think I agree with you. That's a win.
Speaker 7: There's another website called Honey and you can go to join Honey dot com to check that out, and that's similar where you can have that running in the background and it'll notify you of, hey, you're you're on this website and there's a fifteen percent off promo code you didn't know about.
Speaker 2: So I like that stuff.
Speaker 7: The other thing, too, is if we're talking about just websites that might help you save money, well save money more or spend more money more efficiently, I'll say, yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: You're not saving you but you're you're not spending as much, right.
Speaker 7: And so we're getting close to this to Black Friday obviously, and the deals start kind of later this week and a lot of retailers, so just be careful what you're spending, where you're spending, and make sure you're sticking to your budget, right. Similar to kind of what we were talking about with sports gambling, Well, I think the same thing can be true when it comes to all these deals coming out and people just they end up spending more than they than they thought would they would. They end up spuying stuff for themselves. So be careful. A deal is not a deal if you don't need the item. But another site that I really like as well is slick deals dot net, and so it's the cool thing there is one they're like putting a bunch of deals on their front page. Be careful though, again because I can get you to overspend. But you can create deal alerts for specific items you're looking to buy for Let's say you're like, oh, man, Nintendo switch for the kids, where's the best deal going to be? You don't want to buy right now. You want to wait for the best deal to come along. Right you might save yourself seventy five one hundred bucks or get some extra things thrown in. So pop that into slick deals, set up a deal alert, and then they'll notify you when the deal comes along instead of you like pouring through the deals over and over and over, which you know could be caused for you to be parted for more money than you were planning on.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and great great timing because like, as you just mentioned, Black Friday is just less than two weeks away. Joel Larscard He's the guy who's going to give you great advice on how to spend and more importantly, how to save your money. He's the host of How to Money. You can watch it or watch it you can listen to it on Sundays from noon to two right here on KFI. You can also follow Joe how to Money Joel at How to Money Jewel. Thank you, Joel, appreciated as always.
Speaker 2: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, this is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI Wind Advisory in the Valley's mountains in high Desert, a mix of sun and clouds. Hi's in the upper sixties at the beaches, low to mid seventies for Metroela and Inland Orange County, sixties to about seventy in the valley's low seventies for the ie fifties. In the Antelope Valley, Chile tonight with those in the forties becoming sunny after morning clouds Tomorrow heis will be in the sixties and seventies. It's forty nine and fuller ten forty eight in San Clemente forty six in Pasadena twenty nine ooh, Chilean Palmdale. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call you can listen to any time on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the Heart Radio app.