Speaker 1: Three one Austin dot com.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the JB and Sandy Show on Austin's eighty station. What O three point one? All right, thanks for being with us. I hope you guys had a great weekend. My name is Sandy, This is JB. Hello, and Trista's here too. Hi everybody, and congratulations to the twelve Longhorns selected in the twenty twenty five NFL Draft.
Speaker 1: That's a big number.
Speaker 3: That has to be a record for that program.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at it right now.
Speaker 3: I mean, not for all teams, for the Longhorns. It's got to be. It's got to be the most ever.
Speaker 2: No, in eighty four they had seventeen, and they had seventeen drafted in nineteen eighty four, twelve to nineteen eighty two. But that's back when the draft was twelve rounds. It's only seven rounds now, so poor round. The funny thing about it, and a couple of things. One, Quinn Ewers got drafted in the seventh round. He was the two hundred and thirty first overall pick by the Miami Dolphins. And what's funny to me is one, congratulations Quinn. But Quinn is probably going to be the first player in history to take a pay cut going from college to plush.
Speaker 3: I did see that he's going to make less as in the NFL than he did on nil money in college. Yeah, that's crazy. Yeah, but he made it to the NFL, which is what is it one or two percent if college players make it, you know, one or two percent make it out of high school to college, one or two percent make it to the NFL.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, you made it. You made it to the league. Now you got to make the team seventh round pick. It's going to be tough. He's going to be on a tight budget though.
Speaker 1: For a guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get an apartment, man, but he won't be able to spend as much money on that mullet. You know, he's going to have to groom it himself.
Speaker 2: My god, you see the room that he was watching the draft in.
Speaker 1: Yes, what was tricia? It is? It is?
Speaker 2: There are behind him are every dead animal head you possibly imagine?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 3: It was family. It was like a joke hunting trophy room that would be in a Ben Stiller movie. Yes, yes, like so over the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was unbelievable. He's just sitting there in all these dead heads behind and the whole wall Tristia like I'm not talking for They're like stacked.
Speaker 3: Everything, every kind of every kind of dead animal you can think of. It was Yeah, even a couple of stuff sheetsu's on the wall. It was unreal. I forget what he's from a small town. Uh, clearly a hunting family.
Speaker 1: I want to say Southlake, Carol, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: And that's a kind of well, that's where he played, right, That's that's kind of a hoity toity area. It's not like, you know, like real country country Texas.
Speaker 1: It used to be. That's where our friend Terry Cross it grew up.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't even know that.
Speaker 1: It was out in the sticks back in the day.
Speaker 3: Back then, Yeah, back then when you got when yet, like when Dallas sort of ended at Lewis Fille.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, interesting. So I but don't hold me to that. He may not be from South Can Carolin. I'm not sure anyway, a lot of running backs, and I'm really happy Jayden Blue the running back for Texas going to be a Dallas cowboy. Oh that makes me very very happy. So congratulations to those guys and moving right along. So I found something on Instagram. I want to play for you, guys. I want to give the guy credit who did it. His name his handle is at Chris dot James dot Klee and he lives in Dallas and apparently it's been some time in Austin and he put together The Day in the Life of an Austin tech bro. Okay, you got to hear this, Okay, but here's what I have to say about it. So like, I'm I think that we kind of exited out of the hip and cool crowd culture of going out downtown Austin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at just the right time.
Speaker 3: Really, like we had our.
Speaker 2: Moment when we were out running around downtown doing all the supposedly cool things, crazy fomo and all that. I think at our age in our fifties. Now we got out of it just in time. Because if what it's like according to this guy Chris dot James dot Kale on Instagram, I don't want any part of it. Here is him describing life a day in the life of an Austin tech bro.
Speaker 4: This is the day in the life of a tech bro in Austin, Texas. And this is what you do if you first wake up in your condo at the independent cool down Austin is the hottest run club right now. Of course you're there to meet girls at seven am, and you now are going to the collective where you like to brag about the wait list, but it's a tax.
Speaker 1: Right off.
Speaker 4: You finish your workout swinging cattlebells, and now you are off the hound stoop off West Third in downtown Austin for some coffee. Of course, you get the nine dollars Ethiopia Gesha poor.
Speaker 1: You work at Capital Factory.
Speaker 4: Of course, you're wearing your Lululemon Commission shorts. You've got your on cloud sneakers, your or ring and your whoop. Because what gets measured gets managed. You're taking your Sermorella injection to get buff. You take your hinge date out to Uchi and you're bragging about NFTs, but she's gonna ghost you. Later, after spending two hundred dollars on sushi, you decide to go to Whistlers to get an eighteen dollars mescal old fashion. The hinge date was a fail, so you go home and you practice your whim hop breathing before falling asleep on your tufted needle.
Speaker 1: Bit I don't know what half of those things he's talking about.
Speaker 3: Are making up words for sure in that video, and he really I think he really meant grinder, not hinge. What an annoying person. I think you're right though. It's again like I feel like we're just so lucky to be gen xers. Oh yeah, yeah, absolutely. We we got to live the analog life and the tech life.
Speaker 1: We built the tech life.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know we got We got to have it good when it was good, when it was at its best. And I think that's partially true in Austin too. Downtown Austin life now it's just too much.
Speaker 2: The thing that killed me when he was talking about the tennis shoes on clouds, Yeah, those, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: What the dude.
Speaker 1: When we were rolling out, it was like, we have.
Speaker 3: Flip flops yeah yeah, yeah, you were even boots or flip flops. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And you could wear genes to anything, didn't matter how nice it was.
Speaker 3: Genes and heels for girls. He's referencing on running, which at all the hip people wear it's a Swiss, It's a Swiss shoe. They have a news store on South Congress.
Speaker 5: Do you think he was making fun of it or do you think he was Oh, I thought you thought he.
Speaker 3: Was being serious.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think he was making fun.
Speaker 3: Oh it just sounds exhausting.
Speaker 1: Didn't you feel like he was making fun of it?
Speaker 3: Jib Well he's lying.
Speaker 1: Oh he's not that guy. No, no, no, he's not that guy.
Speaker 2: He's based on his observations after a weekend in Austin.
Speaker 1: Right, this is what he observed.
Speaker 2: That's what a day in the life of an Austin tech bro is.
Speaker 5: Not fun at all. We got we when we went down there, we had fun.
Speaker 3: It was fun. It wasn't work. That sounds like work.
Speaker 2: That's always the question I've had is, and I've asked several buddies, It's like, is there any way at all that the thirty somethings right now are having as much fun in Austin, Texas as we did.
Speaker 3: We weren't staring sitting there, staring at our phones. I can tell you that. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Aged.
Speaker 3: You know, we were talking to people, and we weren't living in fear of whatever we do ending up on social media.
Speaker 2: Because thank god, dude, i'd have been an internet star.
Speaker 1: I'd have probably lost my job.
Speaker 2: Yeah several times, Yeah, several several times. It's the JB and Sandy Show on Austin's eighties station what O three point one. Hey, if you want to win a thousand dollars, be listening at nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: That's your first chance today.
Speaker 2: It's coming up at nine on Austin's eighties station one oh three point one. Trishan's got the story we love in just a moment, and we're still taking your intros. For the story we love, use the iHeart Radio app and tap the talk back button a little microphone that you'll see in the top right corner and just record something like this, you know, from the Lester Holt Studios. Here's Tricia Delsia. We'll get it. We'll play it on the air. So use that talkback feature on the iHeart Radio. Ah, these stories we love and.
Speaker 3: Now live from the Lesser Whole Studio. Here's Tristia.
Speaker 5: There's a website that made a list of the dirtiest cities in America based on the number of sanitation complaints that city received in a year, like a three to one one sanitation complaint. I'm going to let you know where three of our Texas cities land. Two of them are in the top ten of the dirtiest cities. We are not proud about that number ten.
Speaker 3: Dallas.
Speaker 1: Really, I've never found Dallas to be here.
Speaker 3: I didn't think so either.
Speaker 5: Eight three and eighty two complaints per every hundred thousand people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I've lived in Dallas on three different short stints, and I think it's cleaner than Austin. But anyway, go ahead, Well.
Speaker 5: So keep that in mind because what I'm going to tell you. Number seven on the list was San Antonio. So we have two of the dirtiest cities based on sanitation complaints in Texas. However, of the twenty three cities they included, is the cleanest cities, Austin is.
Speaker 3: Number four, really the cleanest, the cleanest.
Speaker 5: Yes, Milwaukee is the cleanest city based on the sanitation complaints at Riverside, California, next, followed by Philadelphia, Austin number four cleanest city.
Speaker 3: See, I would I would guess the opposite because we're we're a very liberal city and a bit of a I don't know but for lack of a better way to describe it, a bit of a homeless problem. Right, it's dirty and it's trashed and like not good graffiti. I'm all for street art, but there's just graffiti. Yeah. Yeah, I feel like our city's junkie more so than clean. Yeah. Like I'll giving example, I went, I was on a trip and I saw a friend in Tampa, Florida, and I just that was the first thing that stood out to me, Like everything is so clean, clean, and we should be like it's such a new city, Like all the buildings are new. Anything that was old, anything that was old that wasn't ut or state building we tore down and rebuilt. It shouldn't be so much cleaner than it is, and it's not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some of the calls, it wasn't just problems like junk problems. They also incorporated people who needed had broken bins, you know, trash bins and stuff like that, requesting new bins. So that might have contributed to the high volume of calls. But yeah, Dallas and San Antonio top ten dirtiest. Really was Cincinnati on that last No, Cincinnati should be not on the list. New York City middle of the pack, number sixteen dirtiest city.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good for New York.
Speaker 3: I thought that, Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: Sacram Meno is the second and Baltimore is the dirtiest city in America.
Speaker 1: Well Baltimore not things not good for Baltimore left.
Speaker 3: Oh they didn't slam further.
Speaker 1: No one can read at their school.
Speaker 3: I've been there. Have you ever even been?
Speaker 1: No? I haven't.
Speaker 2: But we're going in December of this year, We're going back to the Army Navy game. It's in Baltimore. Okay again, but I've never been there. But boy, everything you read about Baltimore in the news is not good. They're always at the top of the STD list too.
Speaker 1: They are. I'm just saying things are.
Speaker 3: We want to be careful when we're there. Did you guys want to say that as if that's a list you check off where you travel. Some people look at their stocks. Sandy's checking the STD. Remember that ship hit the bridge in Baltimore. Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, I am Baltimore. I don't think you're for me. I'll go and visit you, but we're just going to go through the airport, all right. That is the story. We love still to come on the show today. How is it that ten AM is the new ten in Austin? Stay this will tay you coming up on Austin's eighty station one O three point one. Want to scratch some dream vacations off your bucket list? Play three million dollar cast scratch tickets from the Texas Lottery and you could enter for a chance to win a skycruise to Paris, Rome and Lisbon. That's right, you could win a dream vacation via private jet to Europe with stops in Paris, Rome and Lisbon. Plus you could win three million dollars instantly. So play the three million dollar cast scratch tickets today and interfer your chance to win a European skycruise.
Speaker 1: Play today and win.
Speaker 2: Ten am is the new ten pm in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 5: Yep, according to this new company called Coffee and Chill.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of this either one of you?
Speaker 5: I have notine So basically what it is is people in Austin swapping out late night cocktails and bottle service and being hung over the next day for wellness parties, early morning cold brew and wellness parties on Saturday mornings. And this company, Coffee and Chill, has been in Austin for about four years. They've done these events in LA two and it seems to be what the locals are shifting towards instead of going out and drinking late at night and then feeling crappy the next day. What happens is people maybe they're still going out at night, but they're getting up on Saturday mornings, going and running and then showing up at these coffee and chill parties where there's a live DJ, cold brew coffee, like mindful movement, like yoga stuff like that. You can get some B twelve drips if you want to. They're all things healthy for your body.
Speaker 1: I think it's cool.
Speaker 2: They have sold the sponsorship on this like crazy because they it's like hydration by Boss, cold Plunges by Cold Life, mini facials by the Talks. Oh yeah, wow, this is interesting, right? And how much does this cost?
Speaker 3: I think it I don't need what you do.
Speaker 5: I think it's like where did I read twenty four a dollar for the ticket to get in?
Speaker 3: Yeah, not that at all for all the stuff that you get.
Speaker 5: These two people who started this, it started it in LA with like twenty people in their backyards. In Austin, their most recent event I think had three hundred people, and the next one they're anticipating eight hundred two one thousand people and it's at a different venue each time they host one.
Speaker 3: It kind of moves around. That's interesting. I've kind of seen this movement happening, like the the run groups are on the rise. That's their social life now. Yeah, yeah, it's more positive and alcohol is becoming increasingly less fashionable, yes, which is a good thing, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty interesting because you know, my like my daughter's twenty three and she does these six thirty am workouts for no reason. Like it's like I wasn't that way at twenty three. I mean I was working. I was working in so I was up early and going, but I wasn't working out, Like oh no, it wasn't the fitness lifestyle thing. And I think some of it started with like this CrossFit movement. You know, people are just that's their new social network and it's very cool.
Speaker 1: It's yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean you think about it if you want to, if I I guess if I I'm just trying to say these you're going to meet healthy people that are doing good things, you know what I mean, Like in a bar, you're gonna be a bunch of people drinking and getting drunk at this right at this event, you're meeting people that are taking care of themselves, that are motivated, that are the.
Speaker 5: Healthy lifestyle, though, I think is kind of taking over from that go out binge, drink, be hung over the next day lifestyle?
Speaker 3: Is the Sunday Funday still a thing?
Speaker 1: Like years ago?
Speaker 3: Oh lord, ten fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: That was all the rage.
Speaker 3: You would go. You'd go out to bars at noon on Sunday and do shots and getting hammered. I think it was so Yeah, Kung Fu was the motherland of this yep, and you'd be blackout drunk by three four pm, go home, go to bed so that you could get up and go to work on Monday. Yeah, that was a thing. I don't know if it's long time till was a thing.
Speaker 5: But Sandy, when you and I first started dating, we'd do that. We'd go to Chicken Poot Bingo Jenny's Little Longhorn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, it was just fun.
Speaker 5: Or we went to some bar down on South Congress, like and sat in the parking lot in the back because they were serving drinks because it was Sunday, and.
Speaker 3: You'd get hammered. Okay, this is interesting to have this conversation with Sandy, who's now what you're approaching ten years of not drinking, right, yep, just over nine years, okay, and so you would. I'm sure you have vivid memories of this, of like just getting hammered on a Sunday afternoon and walking out going oh it's still yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Like surprise you thought it was night. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she lost track of all time and space.
Speaker 1: Absolutely done that many times. Many times.
Speaker 3: You're just shocking you did walk out. It's just like in Vegas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, it's still today, right, It's not tonight anymore, it's still today. This is twenty four bucks sold out, though this one was for the one that was yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeaheah. Where do they have people are paying twenty four bucks for this one event with deals and all the Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean they've got I'm looking at pictures. They've got like cold plunges all over the place.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They basically have sold a healthy festival every weekend, you know what I mean, but with different vendors.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I jes this.
Speaker 3: So once a month I do this ride. It's called the Breakfast Club Ride, and they do it out of Central Machine Works, which is a brewery in East Austin on Caesar Shops and one of the one of the days they moved it from a Saturday to a Sunday, and I got there kind of early and there was like a free yoga class. There were probably one hundred people in there doing a yoga class. And then I did the ride and then you know, that ride draws like a thousand people. It's crazy wow. And then they're you know, but they're having beers and pizza afterward. And then another cool thing was after we were there, So it was the yoga thing in the morning, and then all the cyclists rolled in and then they had free line dancing classes. It's just really interesting what's going on like some of these activities. I don't know, it's very cool.
Speaker 2: It is cool and people, I mean, just how do you argue with people getting together on a Saturday morning to be healthy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: They say that for their coffee and Chill events, the three pillars are community, cold, plunge, and coffee, and that people are coming and are sober and are leaving feeling good and remembering the connections that they've made with the people that they've met there that morning, I guess, versus not remembering what you've done the night before when you're out getting drunk.
Speaker 1: Right, But I'm going to tell you this. There are people going there to hook up too.
Speaker 5: Oh sure, Oh yeah, absolutely, this is the new.
Speaker 3: Can I buy you a dream?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Can I spot you in your cold plunge?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: Everything's free when you get inside. I can't believe it's only twenty four dollars a ticket. Yeah, that seems pretty low based on all the stuff they say they offer when you're inside.
Speaker 2: My buddy is thinking about getting a cold plunge. I'm gonna send them the link to this. It's cold Life. That's what it's called, the Cold Life. I have one deity love it. It's more for My daughter used the sauna daily. But I have a cold plunge and I bought that more from my daughter and she uses it quite a bit. I'm kind of a woos I need to get back on it.
Speaker 3: I just don't know how I'd make myself get in it.
Speaker 1: You'd never do it.
Speaker 3: I don't think I could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just got.
Speaker 2: To jump in there is that's pretty cool event though I'm trying to see I'm stalling here, trying to see when the next one is oh here we got three nineteen Mark Manna.
Speaker 5: They say to follow him, follow coffee, and chill on socials to keep up with future events that are going to be coming up.
Speaker 3: It sounds like they don't have one schedule yet, but they.
Speaker 5: Also said that it's getting big enough that they're opportunities for them to be around ACL Formula one, maybe even south by Southwest, Like it's just getting bigger and bigger.
Speaker 2: JAV, let's go JB and Sandy style two thousand and five and roll up with a cigar and a flask