Speaker 1: You're listening to why we do what we do? Welcome to why we do what we do. I am your automatically reinforced host, Abraham, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Your alone condition Shane All.
Speaker 1: There's so many problems with the way I describe myself. That's okay, We're moving on. We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do. And this is a part two episode. We have been talking about something inside of behavior science in which an assessment is conducted to attempt to determine why certain behaviors happen, particularly when there are people who can't just say why those behaviors happen, and so they conduct some kind of an assessment to try and learn what is going on for those individuals. It's called a functional analysis. And so if you did not hear the first part, we dig a lot into the history, concepts, a little bit of jargon, and the foundational and seminal study that kicked off this. So if you do not hear that part, I do recommend checking it out. We'll do a brief recap at the beginning of this discussion, so in case you don't remember or you haven't heard it, you'll at least have a little bit of context to help set up for this part because we're going to be building off of that discussion today.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, so yeah, we'll give you the ins and out and kind of where we're at leading up to all the cool new stuff that's going on.
Speaker 1: Right. So, if you're joining us for the first time, then welcome. I do recommend you go back and check out that episode and then you'll be joining us for maybe the second time. But either way, you found yourself here and I appreciate you being here. If you're a returning person, thank you for coming back. And if you like to support us, and you haven't done that already, you can leave us a rating and review, like subscribe, tell a friend, join us on Patreon. I'll talk more about those things at the end of our discussion today. But this is a part two, but it still comes out on a different day of the week than Part one. Matter of fact, this one comes out on August fifth, So Happy Green Peppers Day.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, love Green Peppers. It is International Alberino Day.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: No idea. We're gonna leave it at what it is, just like cheese Sacrifice Day.
Speaker 1: It's okay, very good. It is International Traffic Light Day.
Speaker 2: I have fast. It's National Oyster Day.
Speaker 1: M go support your local oyster by giving it.
Speaker 2: Go pet your oysters.
Speaker 1: You'll plus your oysters. All right. National Psychiatric Technician Appreciation Day. Well that feels. That feels very relevant to our topic.
Speaker 2: Yes it does. So does National Underwear Day.
Speaker 1: Nice. And it is work like a dog Day, which is to say, lay on a couch, chew a bone, take a nap. Yes, have someone take you out to go poop in the yard.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: That is working like a dog.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we don't just talk about holidays. We also talk about we don't science things, and we don't poop in you know, well we don't. Maybe some people have listened to us. Probably not, Yeah, some people do it. We as a species. Okay, let's do a brief recap. So, as I mentioned, we've been describing in this discussion so far something called the functional analysis. What that is, where it comes from? And so as a brief background here, long long ago in behavior science, calling something a functional analysis was more like a conceptual exercise to just try and like think through what are the circumstances, certain classes of behaviors tended to occurb. That was kind of all that it was. But then at the time also you had people who had disabilities. Some of them were very impacted by those disabilities that had meant a lot of limitations for them. They were hospitalized, they were lobottomized, they were medicated into a coma basically, and along came behavior analysts behavior as scientists who are doing our behavior modifiers there was kind of a more popular name at the time, and they're like, well, we can use rewards and punishments to direct these behaviors to do these other things. Those kind of where things started before there was sort of a more assessment based functional analysis.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then around the same time you had Iwata and friends as well as car and Durand started developing a technology for us to be able to critically evaluate and really deep dive into the conditions under which this certain type of behavior occurred. And they looked at the conditions before and after a behavior occurred, and they looked at isolating those as much as possible. Now, Card and Durand is the nineteen eighty five article that kind of started to really kind of evaluate this and develop a technology. But this was also in development in nineteen eighty two with Brian Iwata and his friends, and so they came up with kind of what we understand today is the gold standard of a functional analysis, which has multiple conditions, and what it does is it looks at setting up a circumstance for behavior to possibly occur and then delivering some outcome as a result of that behavior occurring and seeing if that influences behavior in some ways. And they did this with really three different types of outcomes. It was either positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, or we don't know what we're doing or what's going on as behavior, so we're gonna we're gonna see this play out commission and it changed the world. It changed the world to be par analysis in ways that we cannot possibly begin to enumerate.
Speaker 1: I mean, we could possibly begin to, but that's as far as we make it. Before we were a live well and that's another episode in the bank. So yeah, yeah, yeah, it was very profound. And yeah, just as you said, I think an important thing then maybe a lot of people don't necessarily think about with respect to the functional analysis is it was essentially these behaviors that are happening, which in the original study was was primarily self injury, is like self harm behaviors. They're either happening because there's some positive reinforcement for it, there's some negative reinforcement for it, or there's some self sensory stimulation that is happening as an outcome for it. That was the hypothesis that drove the development of the framework for that assessment. It's like, let's create those conditions see when the behavior occurs, so we now understand why the behavior occurs, right and with the technology developed by car and Durand who conceptualized these behaviors as a form of communication, essentially that these are people who are saying, they were trying to communicate, we need something. We don't know how to ask for what we need, but we do need it, and right now the way that we've learned to get it is doing these types of behaviors, and they're saying, well, okay, once we know what you need, we can now teach you to ask for that in a different way. And so that was the intervention that was born out of the assessment, and we'll get into those a bit more as later parts of this discussion. But essentially what we did in the last episode is describe in fairly great detail how that experiment was set up, the different conditions, how they worked, and because it'll be relevant for today, I'll just briefly describe that in the original assessment, these were fifteen minute conditions where they rotated between whether they got social disapproval as a form of positive attention and reinforcement. They got removal of demands, which was escape from a condition that was the negative reinforcement or demand condition. They had a toy play condition, which was essentially a neutral everything is chill vibes session, and then there was like, yeah, all by yourself, do you do these self injury behaviors when just there's no one around to do anything with you type of thing to try and figure out if that's the automatic piece. They were fifteen minutes long. They were usually randomly rotated. Every time that the challenging behavior was observed, there was a specific type of outcome that was provided by the person in the room, unless it was two of those sort of control conditions, the toy player alone, and that when they observed a higher percentage of intervals with that self injury, then that indicated that that was the condition that under which the behavior was most likely to occur, that was the most likely outcome that that individual was seeking in those moments, and that was it. So fifteen in intervals. They were divided up in these ten second intervals per session, and they repeated each of those conditions until they either had clear differentiation between the conditions meaning that the self injury only occurred in one condition, or they had twelve days of sessions that they had experienced those conditions. The last part of this then, is that this study was later republished in nineteen ninety four, and that was sort of like really kicked off a lot of new research in this field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So that's why the I WANTA study is often cited as nineteen eighty two slash nineteen ninety four, because it was published, it was published, it was republished, and really, I mean, like you said, kicked off a whole set of research that was specifically focused on functional equivalents and making sure that we were teaching skills based on circumstance.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that is as much I think of a nutshell as I can do about the last hour long discussion that we did Yeah, is there anything that I missed you felt like was important that we communicate before we dive into part two.
Speaker 2: Let's see, we had some recommendations at the end of it, which was really nice. We talked about how the current administration is trying to institutionalize people and we don't want to go back to that because it was bad. No, I think you covered it. I think we did it.
Speaker 1: Great, perfect, Thank you all right? Perfect? So let's go ahead then, and essentially the next part here is understanding what happened after that big study sort of came out because there was a lot left to learn and new challenges faced by people who were at tempting to implement these types of strategies. But whole what a groundbreaking and like foundational seminal article this was. It really changed the name of the game. In this discussion, we'll essentially be expanding on what came after. So when technology is when new technologies such as this one emerge, there's often a substantial interest in determining what we do with this, like how do we improve it, how do we refine it, what do we need, what do we not need? How do we make it more efficient? And they're a hardly better exams this than there are with functional analyzes, which, by the way, I forgot to mention this, but we might call them fays because that's a very common way that they're talked about, is just to abbreviate functional analysis as FA FA, so you might hear that just to know. So anyway, there are hardly better examples of the refinement process than is what happened with FAS. So will briefly enumerate some of these refinements and experimental arrangements that have evolved the implementation standards of this experimental FA and that's actually that is a qualifier that is sometimes attached to functional analysis as to call it experimental because it is set up like an experiment. You have essentially test and control conditions that are alternated to help establish a pattern that differentiate data trends in only certain conditions to illustrate and a numer like help understand what's going on as opposed to just functional analysis, which as we mentioned KITE maybe could refer to something more conceptual in nature and not necessarily in experiment. So this is sometimes called an experimental functional analysis or experimental EFFA.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think another term too that we want to make sure that everybody is aware of because I think you said this just now, which was new technologies. When we talk about technologies, I think people automatically assume that what we're talking about is something like electronic like the advance Secures advice that look a device, And it's really important understand that a technology is also something like something that we do. Yeah, it's basically like some something new emergency, the sign something that is useful and pragmatic that can be used to you know, improve somebody's life, change behavior, stuff like that that's also a technology. Like a token economy is an example of a technology that we use in behavior analysis because we can take this intervention and we can apply it in a in a different place. So like I think that, I think that's really valuable to remind everybody about too, because technology does have its own connotations.
Speaker 1: Such a good catch. Yeah, I wasn't thinking about that beer exactly right, that like a strategy is a type of technology. There's it's a it's a different way of doing it, Like there's this whole form of expertise that can go along with a new strategy, a new way of doing things. The antithesis of technolo logical development as ADS. All right, we're back, So we barely started to really get into the new discussion here, but we felt like it was really important to ensure that we had recapped the foundation. It's been a week since that episode came out. Maybe you're already familiar with this, maybe this is new to you, but we just wanted to make sure we had enough sort of foundation that we could proceed with the next part of this and have that makes sense because it's building on what we've talked about last time. So that took the majority of our initial part here before we had to take our first AD break. But here we are. We're getting into now the new stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, so there are a few major methodological shifts in that PAS that have become essentially standard practice in several other versions of that FAS that have been attempted. So I think it's really important though, Like just because this was done and it was developed and it was incredibly useful at the time that it was developed, doesn't mean it stayed like that, because remember, science does not have a finish line. So we're going to start with some of the major procedural shifts that occurred. So first that we talked about was, and this is really important you brought this up in the recap, is the session length. So in the original study, each condition or sometimes you'll see the term condition and session used interchangeably, but condition is really a better term. But each condition lasted fifteen minutes. And there was an early attempt in nineteen ninety one by Northrop and friends to streamline the FA process by conducting shorter sessions that were only five minutes long, or shorter conditions that were only five minutes long. However, several different studies attempted shorter session durations, and in nineteen ninety nine, Whillas and i Wata published a study demonstrating that reducing sessions to ten minutes produced identical data to fifteen minutes. Further, reducing sessions to only five minutes yielded only minor discrepancies from the fifteen minute observations. So thus I sow, thus I don't need to say both of those. Thus, most contemporary studies use five minute sessions for each condition, yielding a more efficient procedure and analysis. So basically what this is saying is originally fifteen minutes, we don't need to do fifteen minutes we were able to shorten it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's like we got it down to ten, that already lopped off thirty three percent of the time we were spending, and it turns out we can actually get it down to five. And because that was like, your data were likely to show similar patterns at five minutes as they were at fifteen minutes, I was like that that's a lot more efficient. We can get a lot more done in a lot less time because we apparently don't actually need that much time to do this. So that it was like a really important refinement to determine that they could do that. So it's not that every single study is going to do this, but it is fairly common that if you were to look at a relatively recent study that used a functional analysis as part of their methods, which you will very undoubtedly find if you're looking in behavior analytic research, then it probably used a five minute interval for their functional analysis. Not always right, but a huge amount of the time. Right now, So that was one of the first major changes is that the standard setup was fifteen minutes. Now the standard set up, regardless of anything else you're doing with that function analysis, is probably five minutes right, major caveats in there, we'll get to some of the other refinements that have happened. But a second thing that changed and changed fairly early on in this was the measurement strategy. Now, as we described in the original study, they divided this fifteen minute session into intervals, specifically ten second intervals, and then they calculated the percentage of intervals in which the target behavior occurred. So, just as a quick description of what that meant is like, across fifteen minutes, there was a timer running and every ten seconds they entered a new interval, and if that behavior occurred during the interval, the would essentially fill in the box to say yes, the behavior occurred, And then they could calculate, of all those ten second intervals in a fifteen minute window, what percentage of those had album that challenging behavior the self harm in the original study occurred. Okay, However, it quickly became apparent that this is not super sensitive to changes in actual frequency. So, for example, let's assume that we are measuring something like self harm and that that behavior occurred once every single second. That would be ten instances of that behavior in a ten second interval, But it would only be recorded as one interval. So imagine we're going to do a five minute session. There are three hundred seconds in a five minute session, meaning that there would be three hundred instances of a behavior that occurred once every second. But what that would show on a interval recording would be one hundred percent of intervals, which is a lot. We understand that's very high. But take this other example. What if that challenging behavior had occurred once every ten seconds, but it occurred once every ten seconds, that would be thirty instances of that behavior. It would also show one hundred percent of intervals. Three hundred and thirty are pretty different numbers.
Speaker 2: Those are different numbers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a wide range for your percentage to show the exact same amount of challenging behavior occur. From thirty times in an observation to three hundred times in observation, that's not very sensitive, right, So essentially, researchers found that counting each instance of behavior that occurred across the entire five minutes and then instead converting the number of instances to a rate per minute, that was a much more sensitive way to measure behavior. So essentially, when they sort of made this discovery of like, look, we can really measure moment to moment changes here that it's going to be a lot more sensitive to trend if we just count every instance and then convert it to account permit it. That became the standard for how people generally conducted these. The overwhelming majority of FA studies published now use a rate permittent instead of the interval recording method because it's so much more sensitive at capturing the changes and rates of those behaviors and the magnitude of the changes in those rates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes sense. Now. The third change is the condition ordering. So in the original study and for a while, the order in which conditions were presented was either random or quasi random. And there were some exceptions with this, and we'll talk about that in a little bit, but basically it was like, you know, when we talk about the escape alone, play and control conditions, what would happen is they would randomize that. Yeah, so it wouldn't be escape alone, play control, escape, you know, whatever. It would go escape, escape, attention alone. You know, like, it would randomize it in lots of different ways. But in nineteen eighty four, it would suggested that the order in which sequences were presented might be important for obtaining clear results, And finally, in twenty thirteen, a study by Hammond and friends clearly empirically showed that results were clear and obtained more quickly if they were presented in the order ignore, attention, play and demand, So ignore being the alone condition, attention being the social disapproval, play being the toy play that we talked about earlier, and then the band being the escape or demand condition. This has become the generally accepted standard procedure for conducting an FA.
Speaker 1: Yes, with some exceptions, but yes. Essentially, what they sort of realized was how you end one condition potentially set up how that person was kind of activated to go into the next one, and that you would have some carryover effect if you weren't actually planning these out very strategically right, like what was the mo for one became the setting event for the next one, and so you might accidentally create some artifacts by having the sequence set up to accidentally promote or inhibit the likelihood of some of those behaviors occurring. And so they did an analysis of these fixed versus random patterns and empirically showed, yes, you actually if you do this fixed pattern you are more likely to obtain differentiated results where data were primarily observed in only one condition, and you are more likely to obtain that outcome more quickly than if you had those randomized sequences. And so yeah, it just became like everyone's like, oh great, we'll do that from now on, Like that sequence moving forward makes sense to me perfect And so that's generally the one of the refinements. So essentially the three of you we've numerated so far from the original study. That changed were that they reduced from fifteen minutes to five minutes, They started counting every instance of the behavior and converting that to a rate per minute, and then finally that the order in which they presented the provocative situations became fixed because it allowed for clearer differentiating the results. And that became essentially if you pick up a journal article in the last fifteen years or so, maybe ten years since all these happened, like those will be essentially what you'll see most of the time when you're looking at functional analysis. With a major glaring exception, some people are probably yelling at about their speakers, and we will get to that. I promise, don't worry, don't worry. We'll get in there, okay. But there was one more that I want to discuss. There's a fourth and final major procedural change, and actually it's worth noting, and I understand people will say this. I know this is not one that has been as widely adopted. So where the other three, you'll pick up a study like you will see those three very like arrangements as the new standard for how to do an FA. This one's less consistent, but it is there.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It did set the context for a new direction in standard FA procedures, and it has been used in many different settings, so it's like maybe more being adopted. But this is with respect to that alone condition in which the individual was left alone for the duration of that condition, right that we just left them in the room and say what happened? Now, okay. The identified purpose this condition originally was to identify the potential for automatic reinforcement, which is to say, if we're not there, we're not interacting with them, we're not doing anything, and they're still doing that behavior, then that that's probably because there's something self stimulatory about it, there's something they're getting out of it that's just the byproduct of that is a sensory experience potentially, that's what we think. Okay, there's that, so okay. So that was the whole point, right, is that like if we leave them alone, we'll see what happens. There was kind of a problem that actually emerged fairly early on with just leaving a kid alone in this weird austere room like these are almost always set up in like a session environment the majority of the cases, particularly in these studies, where it was like a padded room, and it was because a lot of the time they were engaging in self harm, and so we didn't want to leave them with sharp corners and a lot of things which with which they could injure themselves, and that include hitting their head on the floor, head on the walls, et cetera. And so these were like very sterile, austere, padded environments that were very out of the norm for where that individual spent most of their time, right, And so what happened is they take them into this room and they just leave and like shut the door and basically wait outside the door, so that in case the kid did try and leave most of the time these were kids, by the way, in case the person did try to leave, they could like they wouldn't be able to just run off the property and get hit by a truck or something, so they're like they're still staying by for safety, but for the kid's experience, they're basically alone in a strange room. Well, that can be a weird, distressing environment for a kid to find themselves who already doesn't really understand what's going on. There's a very strange set of people doing a very strange set of things, and now they're just like left alone in a room for a long time, and they're like, what is going on here? I don't like this? And so there was kind of a problem with this idea of them just being left alone in the alone condition because they might actually see a huge spike in a bunch of random behaviors, which could include the self injury behavior that were much more a product of the fact that they were in this weird, distressing environment that they've just been tossed in and left alone, and not having anything to do with something provocative that someone's doing to them or that they want to change or anything. They're just like a very novel place to be that is not very comfortable and strange and unfamiliar, right, And so instead what they did did they switched to that was something that was more like an ignore condition. And so it happened is they basically go in and the person's in the room with them still they just pay no attention to them whatsoever, no matter what they do. Unless it becomes like untenable in the level of danger that is happening, then they probably intervene. But the idea was, if we're going to do this alone condition instead of being alone will be in there, we just won't interact with them, and so they call it and ignore. Okay, just need to set the context for.
Speaker 2: That, sure, sure, yeah, I think it's super valuable.
Speaker 1: Perfect all right, So in this new ignore condition and you can ignore these ads, Okay. So I was just describing the fact that there's this new development with respect to the standard procedures for a functional analysis and FA they had done this alone condition instead of change to ignore condition. That's actually kind of tangential to the point I'm trying to make here, which is that the modification was with respect to that ignore condition. Well, there's this twenty thirteen study published by Queerim and friends that proposed that assessors could actually start the functional analysis process with an extended alone slash ignore condition. Depending on whether you're doing one or the other. Most of the time it's ignored anymore. And again this was identified as an automatic reinforcement screening condition. The hypothesis was that if low rates of the target behavior, whatever they were there to be assessed for, if there was not really occurring during the extended ignore loan condition before they got into any of the other conditions, then those behaviors were unlikely to occur during those conditions during the FA, allowing the experimenter to use then only the three other conditions attention, toy play which is the control condition, and escape from demands. And in addition, if they did start the entire FA process by that extended ignore condition, and they did observe high rates of that target behavior occurring, then there was like a fairly good likelihood that that was already going to be automatically reinforced behavior, which is to say, sensory stimulation or something of the you know, some kind of sensory input that they were getting from that experience or whatever it was, right, that's the general hypothesis that was floated out there. Anyway, So they're like, well, if that's what we're trying to get at, we can just do that whole all those conditions right up front, just do a nice long process where they're give an ample opportunity to if this is something they're getting out of this, we can do it now, and if they if they do observe it, then we can probably conclude without doing the rest of the analysis that this is probably automatically reinforced behavior. It's probably sensory, it's probably self stimulatory, and we don't have to do the rest of the assessment now. For the experiment they did, and they did the normal standard functional analysis, so that what they could do is see, if we observe it here, well, we also observe it here, can we reliably determine that this probably is And they had a very high correspondence. If they observed those target behaviors during the extended ignore condition, then they also saw them in the other conditions and definitely in the ignore conditions during the rest of the FA and they could reasonably use those to inform this was probably self stimulatory and if they didn't observe it in those conditions at the beginning of the process. They also didn't observe those target behaviors during the alone or ignore conditions during the regular FA, and they did see some other kind of differentiated outcome in the other conditions. And so they reasonably said, like, we propose that when you start your functional analysis procedure, just do this nice elongated extended ignore condition. You don't see any of those behaviors. Just don't do that condition anymore. Just do the remaining three. Do that attention condition, the toy play control condition, and escape from whatever the situation is demands type of condition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that makes sense. I mean, because ultimately this is in service of like I mean, you're trying to discover the features that reinforce or occasion behavior, right, Like, that's ultimately what they're trying to do. But there is something valuable because I think the implication here is not necessarily that you don't need this extended alone condition. It is another way to save you time, yes, to get the results of your assessment more rapidly and not waste time on conditions you don't need.
Speaker 1: Exactly right, that was exactly right, perfect.
Speaker 2: So, although the pre screening condition is not as broadly incorporated as some other refinements. It is still a relatively systematic change that is often used when conducting fas, and arguably, I think anytime you are in a space where you can save time to get to well enformed interventions, you're better off. And so I think this is just one of those things that like it makes sense to adopt that as part of your FA standard exactly right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you probably noticed a theme that a lot of these refinements were toward efficiency. It was like, how can we make this a quicker and more effective process where we can get to intervention, treatment supports, what have you more quickly so that we can we can reduce the amount of time this individual is existing in conditions where they're having to experience this challenging behavior. Is a potentially a very high volume.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean there's a conversation inside of this where it's like you're balancing treatment utility versus practical utility, right, Like what is ultimately going to serve the most effective treatment versus what is going to be the most useful in a treatment context in terms of like like practical use, and like it does not benefit anybody to have extended long assessment periods that delays access to treatment that's going to be useful, right, but it also doesn't benefit anybody where the treatment is not useful in itself. So we have to strike a balance between those two things.
Speaker 1: Exactly right. So people probably hear this and maybe the whole entire time you've been asking or screaming, I don't know that you've been experiencing and having the thought like yeah, but at the end of the day, you're also providing a lot of reinforcement to self harm behaviors. I hear you. We will get to that in the discussion where we're going to get more into things like some of the ethical implications, some of the other considerations. Some of the different approaches people have taken to this are hot takes, Like we do have something to say about that piece, right, because like this is not a new criticism people who have been responding to this for a long time. We'll get to what others have said about that piece of it. But just just know that, like I hear you, it's coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna get to it. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's so much to say about so much of this. So anyway, we're now at the point where we have introduced a lot of refinements to try and streamline and increase efficiency in this process so that we can have as quick of an assessment as possible that guides to as an effective a treatment or intervention as possible. That what results as an outcome of this assessment is data that tells us what supports are likely to be effective for this individual. Okay, yes, there's that. There were other innovations that occurred to also boost the utility and effectiveness and robustness and what have you of these functional analyzes in which researchers attempted to refine, revise, alter these functional analysis protocols to work in other environments and situations. So we're going to discuss three major ones here in sort of the detail. Because these are like, the reason I separated these from those other refinements are these are like, these are totally different approaches all together, like how to conduct a functional analysis. The refinements we discussed are like how to make the existing process more efficient. These are how to do a different process, if that makes sense. So that's why, yeah, I separated these in their own thing.
Speaker 2: The structure of these are very different. I would say that the critical feature that you're going to find in all the functional analysis variations that we're going to talk about are that all of them include at least one test and one control. Yeah, right, like that is a core feature of functional analysis. I you've got a test, you've got to control, and then everything else is a variation from that theme, you know. But the standard DEFA is kind of its own thing. And then the first one we're going to talk about here is latency based defas, which I love doing because you don't have to manage behavior as long true, which is really nice, and you don't have to worry about delivering as much reinforcement. So as some people may have considered, as we've been talking about this, some behaviors are too intense to allow them to happen fully or even really at all. Nevertheless, it has been generally considered the most ethical course of action. And there's debate about this, and I think it's really important, but generally speaking, it is the most ethical to attempt to understand the function of behavior, what the individual gets out of it, what they need, before trying to proceed blindly to treatment, Because getting the wrong treatment delays effect the treatment, and it also puts the person at risk because they continue to engage in the behavior or the behavior worsens as a result of not having a function correct, right, So like you have the argument is there? Okay? Yeah, So a modified version of FA was developed to attempt to capture the behavior without really letting it occur.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that's kind of the thing is, like some of these some of these behaviors are so intense that they a single instance would be an intolerable amount of that behavior occurring, Okay, And so they developed these latency based fas so established in a twenty thirteen study by Thomasin Sasse and friends. In this arrangement, the experimental presents the provocative situation that again may escalate the behavior that could be like seriously dangerous. And then they start a timer and as soon as the onset of the behavior begins, like as soon as it even starts, it hasn't like fully even exploded yet. It's like on the verge of starting, they provide whatever the putative outcome or reinforcement is for that condition and terminate the rest of the session before I can escalate anymore. The more quickly the behavior occurs, the more likely that outcome is the effective thing that the individual is seeking in those moments. I don't think we really explain this super clearly in the original studies. That essentially what happened is like, let's go back to that social disapproval condition that is in the normal situation, and let's go with the refinement of like a five minute condition of that socialist approval. So they come into the room and they're interacting briefly for a little bit, and then the person, the experimenter or the therapist whatever, the tech says I can't talk right now, I'm busy, or I can't I can't hang out with you, I'm busy, and then they withdraw their attention. If the individual in this room then demonstrates the target behavior of concern, let's say self harming again, then the tech will come over and they'll provide attention, but they only do it for like twenty or thirty seconds. They're just providing this, So don't do that, please stop, You're gonna hurt yourself. It's like usually, I mean, it depends on a wide variety of factors, but how they respond is informed by an interview, which we haven't talked about. We'll try I'll try to remember to make sure we get to that in the future. But essentially how they respond is informed by what was normally or supposed to normally be. This how people would respond when this individual would do this in their normal environment. But anyway, they'll only do that for about twenty seconds. Then they withdraw their attention again, and so then the individual could again immediately do that self harm behavior. And if they do, then the therapist immediately comes over and addresses it again, and back and forth they go for the entire five minute interval. So you could have like a maximum instance in which they they will do self harm and receive some outcome for it that could be reinforcing, and then it's withdrawn and then they do it again and they receive enforcement again, and they do it again and they receive it again. Could do this up to three times a minute. If they're really really efficient, it'd be once every time, Like assuming it was a twenty second interaction for the social disapproval, they could do that up to three times a minute to really maximize how much attention they could get to how much effort it took for them to do the thing, the self harm behavior.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: All that is to say that in these latency based ones, there is no opportunity for repeated opportunities for that behavior or escalation is like they start to get worked up and you're like, boom, reinforcement, whatever the thing is, whatever the outcome is, we deliver it right away before this can escalate, and then we stop. We're not doing it again, right, And it's how long did it take before I provoked you to you starting to escalate? And that's the latency piece.
Speaker 2: Right, So it'd be like, you know, we present an ad, how long does it take for you to start skipping through the ad? Okay, so we are back. We're talking about latency based that phase. And really the feature is that when we present the evocative or the provocative stimulus to whatever's going to escalate the behavior, we start a timer. We record when the onset of the behavior, we deliver the reinforcer right away so that the behavior does not continue to escalate, and that is the end of that session. Like once the behavior starts, that is the end of that session. Because it's supportant for everybody to know, latency is for the time between the stimulus and a response, right, So that's why it's called a latency based AFA. It's the time between when we present that evocative stimulus to the time the response starts. Now related to this, Najowski at All in twenty thirteen identify that there are some smaller, lower stakes behaviors that reliably precede escalation to higher magnitude behaviors. They could reinforce those less intense behaviors as functional proxies for the target behavior of interest and obtain clear, differentiated results which could proceed to an effective intervention recommendation. So I imagine what we're talking about here as a precursor.
Speaker 1: FA right, Yep, that's exactly what that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, precursor FFAs are really cool and coming from a place where I work with folks that have that really severe behavior, like these are life saving tools. Yeah, being able to identify related precursors to a behavior can save somebody's life. You know. I've done fas for like rectal digging behaviors and eye gouging behaviors, and it was because we had these tools that we were able to do it and figure out the functions.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was actually going to share a story of like someone that I did work with who they were a very large person and they would often run to places where there were hot water. Whether we were sharp objects, they would try to run out the door. If they got escalated, they would attack and they would like punch, hit, scratch, bite. They got really intense and they would really really badly into themselves. But before they did that, they would reliably bite their thumb, and so it was like as soon as they were getting agitated, they would bite their thumb, and you knew, okay, we are now on the escalation trajectory. So what you could do as part of a functional analysis is reinforce the thumb biting and only that, and we didn't let it get past that point because that was functionally the same as the rest of the behavior. The outcome for that was the same as the outcome for the bigger, more escalated behavior. At least that's what the research seems to have shown, is that like, we can reinforce those precursors and then it doesn't have to get to the point of severe danger because the lower stakes want to bite your thumb, which is also like problematic. Like this he would scar himself from some of the biting he would do, but like that wasn't getting the point where he was cutting himself or running into traffic. So it was like, we can reinforce the lower magnitude version of this before it escalates, and then provide an intervention based on the fact that we can presume that the outcomes of the same because they're part of the same class of behaviors. It's just part of the escalation ramping up.
Speaker 2: And it's super important to understand when we talk about synthesize that phase later.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: True, that is so important to understand that precursor piece because that is such a key element to It's not everything, but it is a key element to the synthesize that phase when we talk about that in the next episode.
Speaker 1: Perfect, yes, thank you for teeing it up so beautifully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's that's getting That's like the latency based fays as well as those precursor fays, they were kind of related in a lot of ways, so I wanted to incorporate them there because with the with the latency base, like you often want to stop it before, like you're basically reinforcing the precursor in that as well. But at that point you you terminate the assessment so that you aren't necessarily getting out of hand, right, Like, how many times are you willing to allow someone to stab someone as part of an FA? Zero times zero is the right number. No stapping.
Speaker 2: It literally can't happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, it can't happen. So it's like you you stop it before it gets to that point. Okay. Another kind of similar way that these are set up, but they're technically their own class of things is called a trial based functional analysis. Now, functional analyzes were and usually are conducted in these as I mentioned, highly structured, tightly controlled settings with many safety precautions in place, right, Like, like I said, the padded rooms, they're like lots of staff on hand, there's very little in the environments they could possibly hurt themselves with or somebody else. But in reality, that's not where or what the situation is like when those type of behaviors tend to occur for that individual, right, they're not usually like they did not start life or let's spend most of their time in these patterned rooms. Usually they're at home, they're in school, they're in a grocery so, or they're in an actual place with a lot of stuff around them and a lot of potentially dangerous stuff, and so that's just not similar to the situation in which that individual's challenge of behaviors tend to occur. So there was this nineteen ninety five study by Sigafus and Saggers and they pioneered a different presentation for their functional analysis functional analysis assessment that they called a trial based functional analysis.
Speaker 2: Yes, so in this arrangement, the experimenter first presents a calm setting event that is unlikely to evoke a problem behavior. Then the experimenter presents the evocative situation, similar to a latency based FA if it's our behavior occurs, the pre selected outcome is delivered, and then the session is terminated. These usually last only one to three minutes and have the similar benefit of stopping the behavior before it escalates uncontrollably. So it does allow us to kind of evaluate the context in which the behavior is evoked without seeing the follow up of the dangerous behavior that might continues to occur.
Speaker 1: And again they can kind of do these now more out in normal environments. So it's like, this is the situation we're in, We're all prepared and ready to go. We're going to just present the vokave situation. See if it happens, and then if it does provide that that potential reinforcer, and then we'll call it done for that trial. Yeah, like it was just a one and done. Does this reliably produce the behavior? Can we reliably provide something that would reinforce that behavior? And then that trial can complete. If it doesn't produce that behavior and there's no opportunity for that putative consequence or the outcome, then we could reliably say that probably is not the situation, That's not what that individual is going for, right, Yeah, Yeah, but they can do these in those more naturalistic environments. Grocery stores. Schools is actually a very commonplace.
Speaker 2: Schools. I was going to say, schools is probably the most common you'll see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that those most likely with this is happening is in schools. And then they can get to use that assessment data to suggest and inform a potential intervention package that they might have then put together to support this individual's communication or environmental arrangements that are less likely to cause the kind of distress that results in self harm or aggression toward others. Right, absolutely, all right, the final sort of arrangement we're going to describe that was kind of a different take on this is again similar to this trial based FA. These are natural environment would also called like pop up or FA burst contingency functional analyzes, and as I said, these are are very similar to this idea of the trial based functional analysis. It's in a natural environment where this is likely to happen, but these can be arranged for their much longer, so it's sort of just given an opportunity, you are there observing the whole time. They're not really planned, but given the opportunity, you jump in when and if that target behavior naturally occurs as part of the sort of regular daily situation. So the experiment might observe for a long time and again they're doing this same environment that's highly likely to evoke that behavior of concern here, and then when it does again, they provide the outcome they're attempting to measure regarding whether or not that is the thing, that is what the individual is attempting to obtain. What are they seeking to get out of this? What do they need? Can we identify that by providing it when that target behavior occurs, systematically providing it.
Speaker 2: And this requires some staff training as well, So like if it's happening in natural environment, and there's like staff or caregivers. Like what they are supposed to do is when that behavior does occur under whatever conditions, they are supposed to deliver whatever outcome, like immediately, they're supposed to drop everything, and like basically their response is contingent on the burst of behavior that occurs. And that's essentially what happens is like the minute the behavior starts to occur in whatever condition, because the conditions are longer, we are prepared to do an attention condition at this time. So we are going to when this behavior occurs, we deliver attention and see what the rate of behavior is that in that particular condition, so or if it persists. So it's an interesting one. It's a fairly new one, but it is one that does exist because it is occurring in naturally natural environments, and it is something that is pretty unique. And ideally this occurs when, if my understanding is correct, it occurs when it's difficult to capture naturally occurring mosh. So like this might be something where like you know, you have a hard time kind of like setting up that evocative situation, and you know there are certain situations that are a little bit more difficult, like you know, maybe going to a doctor's office or something like that, So you might do something like that where it's less it's it's similar to trial based, but it's a little bit different because you are programming in a different way. We kind of thought about this before the show too, and like in the middle of the show, there are studies on this, but it's kind of unique and kind of like its own thing, and it is I think currently being further evaluated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just as you said, like, the conditions under which this makes sense as an approach are just as you're saying, like, if you try to manufacture the conditions, that might not be enough to actually create the context of which that behavior is likely to occur. So you can't do the actual assessment because you never get to observe it. You never get to attempt any kind of arrangement that would allow you to get an assessment other ones in which just might occur. Are like you don't have a space to try and conduct that functional assessment, so the best you can do is go into the space or it currently exists. This might make a lot of sense if you are in a situation where even if you had a space, for whatever reason, you couldn't get the person to that space, and so you just have to show up where they are, Like if it's not safe to drive them, for one, if they don't have transportation. There's a lot of reasons that you couldn't necessarily get them there, but you want to be able to assess this anyway. So there are a variety circumstances under which this makes sense. And you can also imagine like how much more valid it is to be like, well, this is we didn't manufacture anything. This just happens. Yeah, it happens, and like we get to be there, so we can capture the opportunity to see, can we do an actual assessment analysis of this when it happens. That's got more validity to an approximation of what kind of outcomes are most likely the ones that are occurring here that would tell us something about this this behavior right exactly. Okay, So those are some of the major adjustments that have been attempted to find ways to bring utility to functional analysis to address some of the issues that came up with functional analyzes. We have a lot more to say about this. We haven't even gotten into the fact that, like, similar to this idea of natural environment, what about just observing and not manipulating anything. There's a name for that too. Then we'll talk about that. And there are data that have compared those observational assessments to experimental assessments to questionnaires. There's actually a lot to impact inside of those spaces. Of course, many of you, I'm hoping, if you are behavior analysts, will also be wondering, well, why haven't you talked about the synthesized FA yet or the ISCA or the PFA different names for the same thing. We are going to get into that next time. That'll be a part of it. Like there's a lodge unpack with that, because that also came with that was such a major shift and how functional analyzes were conducted. It kind of created a schism, like there is kind of a camp of people who are like, we'll go this route with functional analyzies and other people who are like, no, we're not going that route with functional analysies. Yeah, So getting into the controversy, well, I think will be its own huge discussion we need to unpack because there's a lot of nuance there and a lot of smart people making a lot of great observations and smart points on both sides of that discussion, And I think we just want to be as transparent and objective as we can be about what's going on, right, And I mean, I'm happy for us to kind of weigh in on some of these aspects of things, but I do think like let's just sort of unpack what's happening as part of it, and that will require a lengthy discuss that we want to save for its own thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 1: There's also like some of the refinements that have come from the interventions that have been developed out of these. There's a wide array, but there's some that I think that are particularly interesting that are worth spending a little time discussing. And we've got our own opinions to share on some of these. So there's plenty for a whole nother discussion here that we're going to save for next time. So never don't you fret if you're a worried we hadn't gotten to your favorite stuff yet, We'll get there. And if your favorite stuff is behind us, well, then keep coming back because we've got fun things to say as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And if your favorite stuff is adds, that's weird.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back. We're wrapping this up. We're wrapping up this particular discussion for part two. We do have a part three. Part three should finish it up. I think we'll be able to fit everything we need to in that part of the discussion. It's possible this will go part four, but I really don't think there's enough left for that to be the case. But I'll leave the door open. If there's something we missed. If you like to chime in and share some stories to give us some context, to help us unpack something that maybe we said incorrectly, or a citation that we got wrong or missed, feel free to email us. You can contact us directly at info at wwdwwdpodcast dot com, or on the social media platforms. If I am blowing your mind, if we both of us are doing this, If we're blowing your mind so far and you're like, man, I've never learned so much in one place, well, congratulations. We're happy to have supported you in that journey. You can help other people have that same experience by leaving a rating and a review, liking, subscribing, telling a friend wherever you are is click the most stars that you can. If you've got constructive feedback, we're happy to hear those things, but it doesn't need to be in the context of a review. It can be nice. And if you like to support us financially because you're a that blown away, which is very cool, then we appreciate that. We love blowing minds, and you can do that by heading over to Patreon. If you go there, you also get some bonus content, add free episodes, early episodes, and I will shout out your name. You can put whatever name you want. If you don't want to know that it's you want people to know that you support this podcast. You just want to do and secret. You can put whatever name you want, or you can put your name, and either way I'm gonna read it. So a giant thank you and shout out to the people who put their name as Mike, m Megan, Mike T, Justin, Kim Brad, Stephanie, Brian, Ashley, Kiara, and Charlie. Thank you all for your support, for your continued support, for your loyalty, for your generosity, for being just generally awesome humans. And we appreciate you.
Speaker 2: You're perfect and we love you.
Speaker 1: I did not say this before, but we were going to recommend some things. We did this at the end of every discussion. Hopefully you're a returning person and you know that by now, but if you don't, then that is a fun thing that we're about to do. After the credits, I also would like to say thank you to my team of people, without whom I could not make this show. So writing in fact checking from Shane and myself. Thank you for your help and for recording with me today.
Speaker 2: Shane, Hey, anytime, happy to do it.
Speaker 1: Our social media coordinator is Emma Wilson. And the person who is extraordinary, amazing, wonderful, awesome, perfect on, creable and just the best overall audio engineer is Justin. Thank you, Justin for making us podcasts sound like good podcasts do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, we only sound good because you do good.
Speaker 1: Yes, despite my best efforts, it turns into a podcast, and that's thanks to Justin's magic. All right, I think I said the things. Is there anything that I missed or you would like to add before we get to our recommendations. No, let us recommend some things.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so ready recommendations.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm recommending a board game. I kind of tried to strategically over the last few episodes, like I recommended a show, a movie, a board game, an album. I'm trying to spread out the love a little bit. This is a board game. It's actually not a new board game. This has been out for a little while. It's not that old. It's maybe like, I don't know, it's fifteen years old, thirteen years old, on ten years old, something like that. It's it's oldish, but not that old. It's called Zulkin. It's spelled tzl k apostrophe.
Speaker 3: I n.
Speaker 1: This is based on the mind calendar.
Speaker 2: Mmm.
Speaker 1: And it's this cool gimmick that I really like, which is that on the board you have these plastic gears that interlock and every time you take a turn. Once everybody has taken a turn, they're putting out their pieces on the gears. Then you move the gears one space and then that changes what you could potentially gain from having been on those gears. And then you take your turn, and then you move the gears again and so and you've only so many times that you can put your pieces on gears or you're taking pieces back from gears, and you're basically doing that for four rounds of the gears. They have little stickers so you know how long it's been per round. But you do that and then and it's just a really cool idea. And basically you're doing a thing where you're like collecting resources to do certain things you want to collect other like build buildings or you want to move up a temple, or you want to build technologies, whatever, you can do whatever you want. But the point is you sort of choose to collect some resources and then you get to just move the little gear around again, and that just moves your pieces down different spaces that give you different abilities that you can then take. So you kind of have to calculate out, well, how long do I want to wait on this gear before I get moved to the space I want or I get moved past the space that I want, Yeah, and then choose at that point to how you're going to interact with your options. Just a really cool neat idea, A really fun little system that's been developed and it looks really cool and really fine and it's not particularly expensive. This is the publisher is called check Games or CGE, and so you can check out those. But that's Zulkan zupboard game.
Speaker 2: That sounds so fun. I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to recommend a series of four books right now, currently eight, because I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed and I am I can't help but be obsessed and so fair. I'm going to continue to talk about Dungeon Crawler Carl until I turn blue in the face because I am having so much fun with this series. So by the time you hear this, I'll have read the first four books and they are called in order, Dungeon Crawler, Carl, Carl's Doomsday Scenario, The Dungeon Anarchist Cookbook, and The Gate of the Faral Gods.
Speaker 1: Beautiful.
Speaker 2: And this book series is one of the best world building book series I've ever read in my life.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean it is truly like it talks about like at some point in time they go on talk shows because because remember the because I've talked about it before, but I'll talk about it again. The whole premise is that Earth has now been reclaimed by a private organization to reclaim all of the resources. So like every Earthling has now become enslaved by this alien organization and they are forced to compete in a dungeon crawl similar to dungeons and dragons, and there are eighteen floors. It's like a game show. Like it's a game show. Yeah, it's a reality game show. So it's broadcast across the entire universe. And of course, because it's being broadcast as a reality show, there are advertisers, and there are sponsors, and there are all the things that go along with that, and so it's just it just gets more absurd and more ridiculous as it goes. And so I am about to finish the Gate of the Parah Gods, which there's at some point in time, there's a haunted sex doll. There's all kinds of things that are happening in this book. It's just it gets really really obnoxious and absurd, and I love it. I love it. I am just like I can't. I don't normally care about spoilers, but this is one of those things where I'm like, I don't want to read anything about this book until I finished the eight books because I don't want any spoilers. So I'm like, I want just to be surprised by everything that happens. And it's like I get the same feeling that I get when I read The Dark Tower the first time. M that's awesome, which is just like, I'm so excited to see what happens next and I don't want anybody to spoil it for me. So anyway, it's a really good time. It's a lot of fun, and I suggest everybody start reading it. You're to hear me talk about it a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been so widely recommended to me by so many people, so many times. It's definitely like very high on the list of like next things to read. And I'll probably burn through really quickly like you did. But that's super fun, so great. I'm looking forward to it. I recommended Zulkan, the Board, gamelk Apostrovia I n and then you recommended Dungeon Crawler Carl. The are apparently eight books. You're recommending one through four as an ongoing recommendation, so it will come back again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an ongoing recommendation. It will come back every time I finished a book, it will be the recommendation.
Speaker 1: Very good, very good. All right, Well that's awesome. As I said, you can tell us your thoughts by emailing us. Thank you all for listening. I think that's what we have to say. Is there anything you liked out or that I forgot before we wrap up?
Speaker 2: Nope, that's it perfect.
Speaker 1: This is Abraham and this is Shane. Come back for part three next time we are out see yuh.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to Why We Do What We Do. You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to WWD WWD podcast dot com. Thanks for listening, and we hope you have an awesome day. B