Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Iron the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. Welcome to the show. On Tuesday, got my semi usual guests, Dave Silver, semi usual back twice a week, and Kobe survived Cabo. Hello.
Speaker 3: Maybe not.
Speaker 2: Good to see you, Kobe.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Dave lostuff going on?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Football? Spring football? Yeah, spring football is underway. I guess Ua men's basketball.
Speaker 6: Men's basketball has a big week a little bit. There's baseball tonight. Oh, they played Kansas games, one of those mid whatever midweek games. Are they playing a seriously, they must be No, it's one. It's like a one gamer, which I'm real. I'm quite sure how that all worked out. Kansas coming all the way just just for a game. I gotta look at that schedule. They must have something else going. Maybe they're going to play Issue or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, no, cool, a big game on Friday obviously. Women Thursday will get to all that and the football thing as well. We had a press commerce with the with the Brennan yesterday, insightful for what it was worth. I guess, you know, they have a lot to do, a lot to work with or a lot to do, a lot to recover from. I'm gonna ask a levels there and ask a lot of questions.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, what's he thinking with this? I mean the roster is pretty much turned over. But yeah, with with with Brendan, what is he?
Speaker 7: What does he?
Speaker 2: It was hard, It was hard to gauge. He's an engaging guy, but he's not an excitable guy, right, so you're not gonna you're gonna get what he gets, which which she gives you, Right, I don't know about fifteen newcomers gonna be at the roster here at the end of the semester. A lot of changes and then don't forget the the scholarship numbers have to come down and there's a lot to work with some new coaches.
Speaker 6: I mean, did he say kind of how he's going to approach this offseason maybe a little bit differently than last year where he didn't have a whole lot of time. But no, there was some talk. I remember when the season began, like, you know, we don't really know this guy, and he's not out there in public. You wonder, you know, maybe with uh, you know, some of the changes in the administration and athletics, if they're going to kind of focus on on some of that, Yeah, these next few months.
Speaker 2: That's those are great questions, Dave. Too bad you weren't at the front conference. Oh, I don't do that job anymore. No, no, no, But but those are questions that I think. I didn't ask any questions. I was just there to observe and see what he said. But my question and I thought of it, and I said, I'm want to wait for this for the fall because he's gonna give me a standard answer. But how much pressure do you think? How much pressure does he think he's under? And he's not he's going to say, well, you know, I'm not, man, I just got to do my job yet it yet, but you know I think he is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's a bit you know, it's a big conference. Uh, there's a lot of a lot of coaches of it. There's probably a handful of coaches that are probably feeling that way where you you know, you get there with with all these teams and relatively high expectations, you don't you know. They I don't want to say they laid an egg their first year, but it wasn't what people had hoped.
Speaker 2: It was not a five dollars egg, right, it was a bigger one than these.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: It was no those price of eggs. Now, well, he kind of drove it into the ditch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean that's that was kind of how he saw it play out. And that was disappointing based on what we saw the year before and with a different coach.
Speaker 8: So, you know, he has a lot to prove.
Speaker 6: I think, you know, I'm sure he's got some pride in him and he's like, you know, wait a second, I'm not I'm not that guy, and I want to I want to make two soon proud.
Speaker 2: And here's the two soon proud and desiree. Well, because that's the one you have to impress with the with the wins and the and the culture and all that. He mentioned that yesterday. So we'll talk to to Michael about all that when he comes on in about ten fifteen minutes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when does basketball take off tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Tomorrow? So you have a press conmerce on Thursday at two Seattle time. So I'm sure they got to get out of here tomorrow to night, get ready over there on Thursday and then the game of four to thirty five right on Friday. Did you have you looked at brackets? I haven't really looked at mine yet. I mean, you know same thing. You know.
Speaker 6: I've looked. I filled them out you already did, of course. How many do you do you do? I do two a contest? Two contests? Okay, I need to get in those three contents. Huh do you have like, oh I got friends?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, like five bucks right, ten bucks whatever, twenty yeah, okay, high price friends.
Speaker 6: We do a really good well, I don't know if one explain. We do a really cool one with some of my buddies too. We use an Excel spreadsheet and we have the numbers sixteen to one, and you put a team in that in that spot.
Speaker 2: Some part of that one.
Speaker 8: Have you done something like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do that with with of course, my partner here. You know, you know that cockroach is going to walk up the wall or no, how fast is he going to do it? If he does? Yeah? So Jay's Jay does one of those.
Speaker 8: Okay, Yeah, it's a lot of fun. So you follow along that way.
Speaker 2: Have you really have you found out if there's a trick to that. No, there's no trick to that. There's a trick to everything, but it's trying to figure out what's the smart move and where to put people's teams strategically.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean there's pretty much an obvious top whatever welve.
Speaker 2: Made, but you don't get much points for those ones exactly.
Speaker 6: So you stuck, you know, stick somebody down with the three or two and you keep they keep going, yet you don't get You get points, but not many.
Speaker 2: Not many, right, Well, that's why you need the tens or the twelves right to win some games. It's fun, it's a fun pool.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it's interesting too because like you go on ESPN's whatever it's called Tournament Challenge, you get all the other you know, the guys from ESPN have their pools. You can actually literally just click and take their pool. Yeah, your own.
Speaker 2: It's funny. As you say that, I've said this last couple of days, there are no experts in this. They have no idea what's happening.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: It's how they play that day, right, But you oh, the guy from ESPN says this. I was at USA Today in eighty nine and working there, and one of the horse racing guys, the horse racing guy who covered horse racing, was giving his tips out and this is some guy he was, I guess, doing the thing at the counter and says, well, if the USA Today, guy, I think this is gonna win it. I'm gonna be on it too, right course, didn't have a chance.
Speaker 6: I don't know you you're probably there, but I used to love the USA Today's Monday after the brackets came out. Yeah, Page, I mean we would go to that instant. We're huge because it at every game, every matchup.
Speaker 2: We've already got a call day. Oh you're kidding. Yeah, No, No, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 9: Who's yes, Hey guys, this is Doug.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Doug? What's the word?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 9: Hey Steve, Hey, Dave. You know yeah, I'm trying of jumping the gun on your show, like right off the back because I have an appointment coming up. But I thought I would just put in my two cents on what you mentioned about football, and it kind of ties to basketball too, just the press. You talk about the pressure that coach Brennan would be under, And the thing that drives me nuts about fan bases, and it's definitely not just Arizona, is that fans like, you want team to succeed, you want you want your program to succeed, but the very things that you do sometimes make it not succeed. Like the hate that people put on players, on coaches, and the pressure that they put on them. That pressure alone makes them joke or or makes recruits not want to go there because they see the fan base is fickle or you know, whatever it might be, or it hurts attendance, and then the attendance leads to bad recruiting, and they're bad recruiting leads to a bad team, and so I just think like, and I'm not trying to tell people, you know that in the sand to be a Pollyanna, but it just drives me nuts, like with this NCAA tournament and the Final four drought, saying, you know, what benefit does the program get out of you just hating on your own team, right, or or hating on Trey Townsend or hating on Carter Bryant or whatever it might be, or on Caleb Love. It's like, at some point, you know, as a fan, I just feel like, just support them and hope that it works out. If it doesn't, then it sucks.
Speaker 2: What are the things I continue to say? I say it all the time, at least maybe not on the air. But enjoy the moment because they're fleeting And yeah, Doug, you've been around a ton. We're friends. I know who you are, and you've seen some great moments. You've seen some ugly moments, but you've seen a lot of good moments, and people just don't enjoy the moment. Well the thing too.
Speaker 6: Yes, as I was working, I had so many people jealous of the fact that I was covering the tournament every single year. We really are pretty lucky here in this town to have had that into the business. It's why, it's why you stayed. And you know, there's my appears all over the country. How many years you been I don't know, maybe twenty in a row, you know, so it's pretty amazing it was. You know, I think we need to understand how cool that's.
Speaker 2: Been before you go to your appointment.
Speaker 10: Doug.
Speaker 2: I'm a little upset you've been cheating me, cheating on me with the other station, But I'll let you go for that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well wait, but how do you know that?
Speaker 2: Because I was like, I'm listening, not calling in I'm listening not calling.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I actually I'm not a frequent caller with the other station either. I've just kind of backed off a little bit. But you know, what I was just gonna say is like I don't want to get too heavy, but like we've all gone through some really serious things in our lives, loved ones and everything else. You know, jobs, you lose a job, or you've got some big house repair, whatever it is, and it just people need to remember that sports is fun, you know. It's that it's the rested from all all of that other drama. I almost said a bad word, all the other drama in our lives. And so yeah, I mean it's not always fun because losing really sure, But yeah, like like I'm excited we're gonna play Akron on Friday for a chance to advance in the tournament. Why why why suffer ahead of time? Many time to suffer after you lose, Just enjoy, enjoy the anticipation of it.
Speaker 2: Just to just to your point real quick, Uh, you know some people I guess read it or some players actually read it to your point of the Facebook or Twitter, and kJ Lewis has been kind of been not fighting but pointing out, you know, the negativity that he's been playing, hadn't been playing well. Now he's playing well again. But you know, they they pay.
Speaker 9: Attention, right of course if you. I mean, look at what happened with Zeke Mayo at Kansas when he was getting death threats after they were on a losing street and Bill Selth had to kind of get his you know, have his back. It's just, you know, and some of it's probably sports betters where they don't actually have any fan and the fan interest. They're just kicked off because they lost their bet. And I'm at sports Better too, but and I'll be upset about something but not it's not life or death. But yeah, it's just it's gotten a little crazy, and I think your point is just it's correct. Just enjoy the ride, you know. And for me, I I'd block out Thursday through Sunday and I will watch some part of every single game, and I'll have money on some of them, but mostly it's just fun. I mean, it's it's do or die for every one of these teams. You've been watching all season, and and someone's gonna flame out and hopefully it won't be us. Yeah, but I just think it's in terms of football too. I just want to remind people that the negativity and saying like this coach is terrible or this player should transfer it doesn't actually help you get to where you're trying to go. That's my point.
Speaker 2: I wanted to get across it, and you have, you know, thanks, Doug Cool. Appreciate the call. I appreciate it. Shure, we got about two minutes.
Speaker 8: It's good that weird.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: We live in a town too where people care. People care, I do care about They go to the games and they care about it. They call in and they listen to the shows like this and read the paper, and there's a lot of outlets to uh, you know, check out online and stuff.
Speaker 8: So I mean they we're we're lucky I think to be here in this situation.
Speaker 2: You know, And to be fair from my end, because I do kind of rag a little on the fans. Uh, they're pragmatic, A lot of them are. It's the it's the one or two that you know that kind of pop off right for no really big reason. They just do it because they can and things they're funny. I mean they think they're funny when they post these things.
Speaker 8: I mean it drives me crazy.
Speaker 6: I know it does to you when you go on Facebook during the game and they put stuff up that just looks so ridiculous that the game what you get? And then they don't take that post down every game's over, like what's wrong with these guys? And then they wind up winning by right?
Speaker 2: Right though?
Speaker 8: I never understood that approach, right, I.
Speaker 2: Don't get that points and I've posted a couple of things on them because it gets me so pressured. Okay, Dave, what's your point? What's your point on saying this team, this guy played poorly? We all see this, right, Are you trying to say that you know basketball chast what's your point? Yeah? And it's not just one or two, so it's a lot of stuff. They fired up to their computer or their phone to write this. Are you a better person? Do you feel better after writing this? What would be a good story for you to do? You should do a story on that. I should really should try to find the he's online whatever, you know what they would go away, They're in their basements, just just firing away their comments. Yeah, because it doesn't really matter. You're not coaching. Your yelling. I just go outside, yell what you want to type to the world, come back in and watch the game.
Speaker 6: I mean, everybody, you know, we're in the world now where you can do whatever you want online.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 6: You can have your own you know, sub stacks and things like that and just post your opinions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't have to do that. No, No, what's the point. I really don't understand. You're not making any money from this. Why wash your Timeue? Oh you could possibly if you're really good at it. Well, Jim Bob, I'm sorry, I'm not reading you. We gotta go. We're gonna talk to Michael Levan just I'd love to talk to him about about the last couple of days. He's been prolific with some of the stuff he's been doing.
Speaker 11: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yaki try.
Speaker 12: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of in stock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Windowdepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand, for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipments Arizona.
Speaker 5: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead manage and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you In twenty twenty four, recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman. Visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: At Noble Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to lyndrixon credit grates and available loan programs or subject to change.
Speaker 2: Don't notice?
Speaker 15: Did you know? Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around.
Speaker 2: Whether you're looking at start or.
Speaker 15: Expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from rare fines to the latest releases. Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 7: Richard Bacall Law Office defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a wildcatfan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to h twelve thirteen, broad.
Speaker 2: Sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 4: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 16: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine. No matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the minerals process. That's windlining is soport.
Speaker 2: Gonybybm dot com.
Speaker 12: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you, or shop online at the Window Deepot dot com.
Speaker 2: The Window Depot more than a window store.
Speaker 17: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to win the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera and with me it is Dave Silver. Now on the phone, we have Michael Lib from the Arizona Daily Store. Michael, how you doing good?
Speaker 3: How are you guys?
Speaker 2: We're good. You've been busy, You've been busy.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I'm going to agree with you this time. Other times I'd say I haven't been that busy.
Speaker 10: But yeah, between the World Baseball Classic, coll of Guard Classic, the end of you know, the regular season in mental women's basketball, the start of the baseball season, now spring football starting, there's a lot going on, right.
Speaker 2: So I guess today Day pointed out you had a story about the uh uh, maybe the possibility or this maybe suggestion that the U should hold or host Attorney game. This is my idea, this is your idea. You came up on your own idea, So so explain it, explain it and why?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I can just say for a while. So, the basic premise is the NCAA tournament is going to expand, right. It seems like that's the way the tide is pushing right now, going to.
Speaker 5: Be seventy two. I don't know if it's going to be s doesn't really model whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is, there's going to be a you know, a second first four. Right, you still have the one in Dayton, but they'll want to have one on the West coast so they can kind of stack the start times, you know, and kind of.
Speaker 5: Spread the love a little bit.
Speaker 3: And my idea was, why not Tucson to be this home for the.
Speaker 5: West coast first four? This? You know, Tucson is no Steve used to host NCAA regional all the time at McHale Center. They stopped doing that.
Speaker 3: Basically, Greg Burn Sean Miller decided that it wasn't in the UA's best interest to do that because it would you reduce the number of possible sites on the West Coast where Arizona could go and play this that that would not be a problem with the first four, because we're talking about the first four.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have anything to do with the first and second round. I think it would.
Speaker 3: It dovetails really nicely with you know a lot of the initiatives that have been undertaken recently to bring more, you know, big time sporting.
Speaker 5: Events into town.
Speaker 3: The you know, the economics are pretty obvious when you have these kind of big events, you know, more people in restaurants, more people staying in hotels.
Speaker 5: For Dayton, it's.
Speaker 3: Been upwards of six billion dollars in economic impact each of the last.
Speaker 5: Two years, according to media reports and I.
Speaker 3: Also feel like Tucson is you know, it's a bigger city than Dayton, but it's sort of a similar vibe.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a college town.
Speaker 3: We don't really have we have pro teams, but we don't have the Major League teams here, and.
Speaker 5: People love basketball. They love love basketball in this town.
Speaker 3: I came up with a spreadsheet looking at combined attendance between men and women's basketball this season and any among schools west of Texas. Arizona was number one on that list. So these are all kind of the reasons that I think that.
Speaker 6: How do we how do we make this? What's the process going to be? You think, I mean, do we just well let them know?
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, yeah, I mean if this happens, and it could, I mean Brett your Mark suggested there could be some meaningful discussion about this and then you know, the next two to three months. Then once it becomes established and they figure out what the format is, it'll be up to schools or cities or arenas or whatever.
Speaker 5: To put in bids. You know, you'll put your bid together for however long. You could be like a three year contract.
Speaker 3: I think Dayton currently is locked in through twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: What's the return? I mean, do they get paid or do they have to shell out the money.
Speaker 3: It's like the costs are shared by the institution and the NCAA. I mean, I tried to get kind of concrete figures on that, and I couldn't do so. But it's kind of this idea that you know, if it's if it's good for like the city.
Speaker 5: Of Tucson, it's probably also good for the u of A.
Speaker 3: You know, if it's beneficial, it's beneficial for the economy of Tucson. Let's say, you know, let's say it helps restaurant owners, helps hotel owners. I mean that puts people in a more advantageous position financially to buy tickets to UA sporting events later on.
Speaker 5: It's also really good brand exposure for.
Speaker 3: Your school, right Like who talks about Dayton three hundred and sixty three other days of the year, I mean, not very much, because two days a year like that is the the focal.
Speaker 5: Point of the entire sporting world, and you have that here at the u of A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense, it makes sense. We'll see, we'll see. Okay, okay, let me move on because we don't have a whole heck of a lot of time with you yesterday. I hope to talk to about football, men's basketball, women's basketball. So yesterday we were all with Brendan. You know, you guys asked some great questions. Uh, it's not my lane there. I had maybe a question I want to ask. I'll save it for the fall. H What did you take from yesterday?
Speaker 3: My biggest takeaway from yesterday when he first met with us was that he's just more intentional, which is messaging.
Speaker 5: Remember when he first got up there, Steve.
Speaker 2: He was like, I brought notes, yeah, right today, Like.
Speaker 5: I don't think he ever brought notes with him in the past. You know, I felt like he was just kind of waiting a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe he didn't fully understand like the scope right job and never really was in a lot of situations like this at San Jose State where it was basically zero media coverage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and not nearly as much fan interest as the race here.
Speaker 3: So you know, if they've had the the fit of time, Uh, they've been here, you know, his regime has been here for a year plus now. I think that's where I read France was. I'm sure most assuredly had some conversations with him about, you know, just how to organize your thoughts a little bit better or present yourself, And he came in with talking points, you know, the things that he's looking for in players, the things he's looking for on the field. So I just feel like there's that things are just a little bit better organized and kind of flowing in a singular direction this year.
Speaker 5: Whereas last year, I mean, you know, they came in and had to.
Speaker 3: Scrambles, yeah, just to keep the roster together, and it was kind of like partially the old roster, partially the new roster. This feels like it's more Brendan's team and Brannan's operation.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say earlier we were talking a little bit about off the field things and the program and how it presents himself in Tucson.
Speaker 8: Did he go into that at all or maybe you know, what are we going.
Speaker 6: To see from you of a football say in July or June when there's no games, but people need to buy tickets and the program needs to get some attention.
Speaker 2: Did he talk about that at all?
Speaker 3: I mean a little bit, A little bit in the sense of the Spring Showcase, which is a different concept and reimagining of the spring game. A lot of schools are ditching their spring games altogether, in part because of injury concerns, in part because they don't want to put film out there for the world, in part because you know, sometimes guys get seen and they get poached by other schools. So you know, Arizona is doing I think a smart thing and basically turning it into a fan fest.
Speaker 5: Right. You talked about there.
Speaker 3: Being an easter right hunt, and there's gonna be autographed, there's going to be a beer garden, maybe there will be a little bit of football sprinkle games.
Speaker 5: This is kind of what it should be probably.
Speaker 3: I mean, they do most of their meaningful work in those first fourteen spring practices. It's okay if you utilize the fifteenth one to build a bond with the community. He didn't talk about this other thing that I'm going to mention here specifically, but they did announce the next round of the coaches Caravan, and I don't know if it goes in the summer or not.
Speaker 5: It maybe starts in May.
Speaker 3: But there's only three stumps, and I think overhelf of them are in Tucson, So they're trying to hit other parts of the state. But they're also we're really trying to kind of double down on the Tucson communities here. I mean, the population of the city is I think over five hundred thousand in the metro area at post to a million.
Speaker 5: You know, if you do it right, you should.
Speaker 3: Be able to fill up with fifty thousand seam football stadium six times every fall. Obviously, costs are an issue expensive so to these games.
Speaker 5: You have to pay for players.
Speaker 3: These days, so you know, there's a lot of obstacles in that regard, but it seems like they are making efforts in that in that area, which is super important. And Brent Brandon seems to understand how important that is.
Speaker 2: Since you were offering suggestions for the final four, you know, for the extra four here. Let me let me ask you this. You came from la You covered USC when you first got here, and I think you've been here six or seven years now, what did you think You're thinking? This is college football? And I say that with all due respect. You know, we go and I covered football before I did laschool a long time ago, many years ago. And you go to Oklahoma and you go, you see the secs and you say, this is college football. Now, if you had a couple of suggestions, what would they be, because you know, you you cover the team as a columnist now after covering it as a regular beat writer. But this is college football here, but this is not college football other places.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, Steve, you can believe it.
Speaker 3: I've been here for nine years going on ten. So yeah, I know it's been a minute, but okay, the time is fun by time, plass when you're having fun.
Speaker 5: Right. It was definitely a.
Speaker 3: Shock to the system for me coming from covering USC to covering Arizona, just in terms of the the quality of athletes, the depth side, the speed, you know.
Speaker 5: The number of draft picks each year or lack thereof.
Speaker 3: So to me, like it's if you're not talking about the same things necessarily, Like USC and Arizona are just not recruiting the same caliber of players. That's probably never going to change. So the challenge is, and you know my suggestion is and I think they're doing this, is you've got to unners, James. You know, you've got to find You've got to find the players who aren't board and five star but have four and five star potential. You know, when you've seen this at places like Viola or even like North Dakota State, like they look for certain body types and they're able to develop those players, and those players exceed whatever their recruiting rankings are. So I think they're on the red path. I mean, Brent Brandon is used to doing that at San Jose State. I think he's got you know a little bit, You've got more resources here.
Speaker 5: You're going to get a better caliber players here than San Jose.
Speaker 3: State with a Big twelve, you know happening now you now have like the Texas market that you can tap into, and they're doing good job of that.
Speaker 5: There's tons of good players in Texas.
Speaker 3: So that would be the pass to me to to towards some sort of level of sustained success.
Speaker 6: And I would say to the those players the parody in the Big twelve, I think is gonna be We're gonna see that and saying that it's gonna proably be a diff a different champion every year, unlike the the Pac twelve, whereas like I kind of knew it was gonna be USC or Oregon basically like the last ten years Washington. But it seems like, I mean, it's just much more wide open, you know, and he's got a little you know, he's he could squeeze into the top five, you know, every so often in the conference.
Speaker 8: I would think.
Speaker 5: I completely agree.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's necessarily good for the conference if.
Speaker 5: It plays out that week, because I think I kind of.
Speaker 3: Like to have those kind of couple premier teams that get a lot of attention.
Speaker 5: But it certainly makes things more interesting and more foreign.
Speaker 3: I mean, who thought Arizona State was gonna win the conference last year? Nobody? I mean, they were picked to finish I think last, right, Well, I don't think was.
Speaker 5: I don't think that was very wise.
Speaker 3: I thought going into the teams that Houston was the worst team in the league, and I think they ended up finishing.
Speaker 5: No, I want to actually Oklahoma State finished last, which also no he saw coming.
Speaker 3: By the way, a lot of people picked them to win the league, so things were kind of upside down. But I agree, like d Yu, it could be really good this year. We think, right, you should be good again this year. You think someone like Oklahoma State's gonna bounce back Houston as a quarterback now, so they could rise up.
Speaker 5: I think I always State brings back a lot. It is a wide open and fun lead.
Speaker 3: Again, it will be very very interesting to see moving forward if they expand that tournament the college football playoffs, like whether they're going to do you know, X number of a lot of mental qualifiers. And while I don't like that idea in general, it probably would be a good thing for the Big twelve if they were to secure too, because most of the time they're going to be a one league.
Speaker 2: We're gonna try to go a little longer if you if you can, because I think some of the topics we want to talk about it are important. So you had some a chance to sit down with Desiree. I'm sure you have extended titles department. Do you have more than two parts?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: True?
Speaker 2: Two?
Speaker 5: Okay, the second part was the second or two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so I haven't read much except I did read about your coaching one of the evaluations. I'm sure you already kind of expected that answer to come from her. What was the most interesting things that you got from her? Because it is her year anniversary, there's a lot of things going on to you, anything interesting, maybe a tidbit or two.
Speaker 3: Well, she said that she's basically been able to wipe out that the set that they face, wow, or will have wiped it out by the end of fiscal year twenty twenty five, which I.
Speaker 5: Guess is next to June. And maybe that's fistically your twenty twenty six, that's next June thirty. It's not this one, Okay, the next one. And she's done that in a variety of ways.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's kind of what she was brought in to do, right, Like prime primary objective was to get the department out of the red So I mean that's been us.
Speaker 2: How did she do that? How did she do that so quickly? What did you say?
Speaker 3: It's a gradual process. And some of it has been like finding ways to save money here and there. Some of it has been, uh, finding ways to generate money. The new Nike contract is a big thing because that was costing them And this just blew me away when I found this out. It was costing them two point five million dollars a year basically to get all the stuff that they needed because the previous contract was so insufficient. So I mean, that's that's a nice chunk of savings right there. So that was one thing that stared out to me for sure, I would say that a second thing, and I'll try to explain this, and I kind of hinted at it in the in the second part that I wrote, but like she just sort of mentioned in casting the possibility of our designed court at mcale Center. So obviously my ears perked up when she said that. And then I, you know, kind of tried to cancer for details and she just went, Mom. She wouldn't say, you know, she wouldn't give any anything away. But I feel like maybe that's coming, uh next year, And I don't have that confirmed, but that was my That was That was what I inferred from that conversation, and that I think is potentially exciting for people who remember, you know, certain imagery being on the court back in the day.
Speaker 5: I don't know what the official name I was. I was called the Tech Practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that'd be good. So so another quick thing, and I'm gonna have to go back and read it because it's to me, it's interesting and maybe we'll have you on again down the road. Uh. But in order for a new person like like her, you might as well have been Dave Silver. When you're you're asked, you're asking somebody to come in and be the new person and to make changes. Guess what they had to make? Changes? Well, she she did some of them probably not popular, did you go there? No?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I mean the headline of the first part was something like the change is not easy.
Speaker 5: You know. That was one of those one of her quotes. And there's been a ton of turnovers.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I'm sure like a lot of people that left or you know, weren't happy about what was going on. And she's brought in people that a lot of people that she knows, some people who are you know, she didn't work with before. And yeah, it's it's was not It's not an easy process. And when you when you are in a position where you have to make difficult decisions, not everyone is going to agree with those decisions, and some people are going to be unhappy.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 3: And change is really really difficult, and it's especially difficult, uh in these times when the entire industry is changing and you have to rethink a lot of things, you know, like you she talked about it as a one hundred and tifty million dollar business that she is in charge of, you know, basically like a corporation, and that's just not like how we grew up thinking about athletic departments.
Speaker 5: But that's the reality of the situation.
Speaker 6: And she talked about the coaches that I'll have these contracts coming up from from Caitlin to Ada, Barns and Chip.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's a lot to do here next year.
Speaker 5: That Yeah, that list is extentive.
Speaker 3: She went over all to list them all, but like I think the majority of the quote unquote non revenue sports coaches contracts are up in either twenty twenty five or twenty twenty six. Wow, So she has a lot of work ahead just figure out like who she's going to keep and who you know, and what sports maybe we'll we'll have a change of some sort.
Speaker 5: She's very methodical about that.
Speaker 3: And the only coach that she's given any sort of contract extension to so.
Speaker 2: Far is Tommynis oh Tennis Tommyhip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that was that was orchestrated by the previous regime. I think it like it might have happened like on the day that desire started or a couple of days after, but she had nothing to do with it kind of already in the works. So yeah, and yeah, obviously did Dean Bornes. When I think we've talked about it that something's going to come to a head here in the next few weeks one way or the other. Could be a stalemate situation, but you know, hopefully we'll have some clarity on that to make them later.
Speaker 6: Did she talk about the TV deal and how things have gone this first year where you know, we hear from the fans. No, I can't find the game on ESPN Play. I mean, if she talked about how fans have adapted to the TV situation.
Speaker 3: No, that that was not No, we did not bring up that particular topic.
Speaker 2: What about the Arizona what about the what about the radio deal with you know, the Brian Jeffries one of them, Yeah, Arizona Sports.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, that's that's pretty good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she said that they've done uh he said that they've sold ninety eight percent, ninety eight percent of their goal in terms of.
Speaker 5: Sales for that So yeah, and I thought that was a pretty.
Speaker 2: Bold yes that she made.
Speaker 3: I was recommended to them in that instant young audit that they received.
Speaker 5: But you know, sometimes when you're in this position, you've got to pick some risks too. And I think you know, if you listen to a radio broadcast. The quality is the same. Brian Jeffries is still there, which I think was a very very big deal for Arizona fans, Like when that was happening, like his contract was.
Speaker 3: You know, a little bit up in the air and a little uncertainty about how that would go.
Speaker 5: Regarding est and Plus.
Speaker 3: I think that it has been enough positive to have the ESPN Plus that's an option. The one thing that's kind of weird though, is like during the Big twelve tournament. I don't know if you guys noticed this, but like the game would end and there'd be no like shoulder programming or whatever in between, which was something that you got a lot of with the Tack twelve networks, especially in those postings and tournaments. You know that that time between the games where they'd have a studio desk or whatever. So maybe that's something that the Big twelve can work on moving forward.
Speaker 6: Okay, the only time they had any kind of shoulder was during the last couple of games when they're really on the Big ESPN they had some stuff going on. But you're right, during the week, correct, Yeah, they did.
Speaker 3: Have an ESPN Plus only like post game championship ceremony kind of thing.
Speaker 5: But it was you know, I don't know that was that was one difference that.
Speaker 3: I noticed, you know, when it came to those those big postings and events that were really a great showcase for what TACK twelve Networks was able to do.
Speaker 2: Lastly, we got about to We're way over. But so give me a minute, just us in office. On the men's basketball situation. Are they going to get to the sweet sixteen?
Speaker 3: I think there's a very good chance, I think from what I understand and I came to here and Jason Akron playing basketball single time this year. But the team that plays really fast, yeah, doesn't play a lot of defense, doesn't have a lot of side I think, you know, that is a team that Arizona I think can handle. Hopefully they won't have their full focus and attention on Akron.
Speaker 5: We know what can happen if you don't right then, you know.
Speaker 3: I've heard some people say that maybe you know, Oregon could be susceptible on the other side, which would be interesting to say. At least I personally would love to see in Oregon Arizona matchup definitely would sort of be nostalgic kind of thing for those of us you know who grew up in the Pac twelve or came to love the Pac twelve after moving out to the West coast.
Speaker 5: That would be a lot of fun. But I do think that they have a.
Speaker 3: Very reasonable talent to the Sweet sixteen and that might be where their season ends two because Duke is on the other side, and we I've all seen what Duke is capable of if they unhealthy.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, Michael, thanks as always. I we'll talk to you soon. Good luck, Thank you. I think Michael love from the daily start. We got to go. We're way over. We'll come back in about five minutes. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a National Powerhouse want one, email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 18: Hey, Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the Exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four ah three five five one four four four four a H three five five one four.
Speaker 7: Four four what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 15: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 19: Craving Tucson's Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 20: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies mean more money in your pocket, less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less's More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Peyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 17: Steve Rivera He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve you're Dave got Kobe at the main gate here. We got about five six minutes. We went rather a long, but I wanted to get as many questions I could anything strike you.
Speaker 6: No, I think it's I think we're seeing year two of the Desiree read Francois Era kind of underway. He's talking about this caravan. It's going to mostly be in Tucson all over town. She's making appearances. I know she's going to be at the Rotary talking later this or next month.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: So there's and I'm sure Brent will be.
Speaker 2: You know, he's been available too. He's been doing that too. It's funny, he hinted to this if directly said that he was very He had his notes right right away. He said, I brought some notes about Well, I'm sure that came from somewhere else. Yeah, you know, you need to be more this. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean they've got communication people in the in the department, and I'm sure either conversations that he's had with the with the leadership has probably prompted that.
Speaker 8: I think it's, you know, it's important again.
Speaker 6: I'm looking at it now as a as kind of a fan and a spectator and what am I seeing?
Speaker 18: How?
Speaker 1: My?
Speaker 6: How is this the image of the program you know, playing out here and what it's going to look like in the summer? Like do I want to go to that game on you know, early September when it's still going to be one hundred degrees?
Speaker 2: Was the team going to be any good? One of the things I should text him. But he answered the question that the debt could be done by next what thirteen fourteen months? Fifteen months here, next year in twenty twenty six, that's what he said, right. What was the number? What was the overall number? Even if it was forty five million, that's pretty impressive. Yeah, even if it was twenty and five. You know what I'm saying, Because everybody, everybody across the board, most everybody is in debt. I know that UNLV is in debt. I know that a issues in debt, except that they didn't get the publicity that Arizona got right because.
Speaker 6: The whole school when it hit, as opposed to just athletics. Right, what about this twenty million dollars it's coming?
Speaker 2: Is another thing?
Speaker 8: Was that helpful in this debt situation?
Speaker 2: I don't I don't think so, I don't know but that's another thing coming.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, you're gonna have a student athletes making two hundred thousand dollars a year, right, if not more because the nil on top of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and again talking to some people over there too, you know, so much that depends on the position that they play to, Like the offensive tackles are going to make more than the offensive guards because they're protecting the quarterback. And it's amazing how that money is broken out.
Speaker 2: Right, and the teams and the team is not a title line issue right where the women's teams will not get as much as the men's teams.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but a lot of these schools are really making sure that the non revenue sports athletes are getting to getting something. I know Arizona was early on in that. I don't know where it stands now, but you know there are people in town who are like responsible for trying to get that collective put together.
Speaker 2: Did you when you did your your magic for the fundrating? Yeah? Did you? Did you? I'm sure you have a lot of people scouring Tucson. You were not one of those, right.
Speaker 6: It depended I mean, yeah, I mean most most of the alumni are in Arizona here in Phoenix, Americopa County, so they're all over the state. So, yeah, people, there was a book I don't remember who wrote it was called The Millionaire next Door. You know, sometimes you just don't know that that money could just be sitting there, you know, close to town, but they're there.
Speaker 2: To my point is, how did you have clients locally? Yeah? Okay, was it difficult?
Speaker 8: Not really because you could take them right to campus.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 8: That was that was a key in the world.
Speaker 6: And if you know, if you've ever been on the other end and you're getting approached lots of times, you want to see, what's my money going towards? And here was right here in town, and you could maybe if it's going to be something significant, you know, maybe get a lunch with Brent Brennan or a lunch with the athletic director where they can really lay it out for you how important your.
Speaker 8: Gift would be. Yeah, so it was in a way it was nice to have them here in town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, because we all talk about you know, there's not a lot of money here, but I guess the millionaire next door is the millionaire could be next door, you ever know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was in Foothills today walking around there, it's pretty nice up there. Most of those people, many of them are not from U of A or what and they just happen to move here or they live here part time.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk a lot, We're not. We don't have a guest here at four seventeen unless I get one in the next few minutes. But let's a story about the possible ability of having the postseason here, you know the other four I'm not too sure. And I say this because, uh, these teams would not be for any who are close to here. And yes it was one of two sons of basketball town. Would they go see you know, Illinois State or some other school? They have no ties there, who knows?
Speaker 6: I mean what tonight we have with San Diego State and North Carolina Lane and the other game is the sixteens A right, two sixteen So I don't even know those two. Yeah, that's gonna be right.
Speaker 2: I think if North Carolina paint center, you State, you'd have a pretty good turnout. Yeah. I'm curious just to see what's Carolina because they're the they're the car wreck, right, they maybe not should have been in they're in. See how they react, we'll San Diego State step up.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. There's a lot of intrigue there. How did how did Dayton get those games? Do you remember how that happened? And all of a sudden it was like Dayton and dating, you know, and they I mean I can see and sort of understand being in the middle of the country, and you know, they win and they.
Speaker 8: Get to go easy to get to get to get in and out.
Speaker 6: But I remember you and I remember going to Dayton in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: Or whatever it was. It was brutal. Yeah, we flewed Indie Apple. Yeah, we had to drive. We had to drive. Yeah we didn't fly into We flew right by and drove.
Speaker 6: But I wonder how that would work, you know, I guess you know, we would have quite a month. We be right on the tail end of the book festival if they had it. You're right today, Well there's.
Speaker 2: Timing because right book festival break, women's basketball is women's tournament. Uh, there's a lot of things around that, around that that you have to accommodate.
Speaker 5: Ya.
Speaker 6: I mean, even if whatever this, you know, the tournament while the women are playing in but you know, if it was an n C double a thing as well. It would be this weekend too, so I don't know, they'd have to put the put the calendar together.
Speaker 8: Tell us well, the games would be.
Speaker 6: What Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so it would be pretty quick and they'd be they'd be gone. But by the time the real tournament started.
Speaker 2: A good idea. It depends it's just the teams that would come in and how much interest there would be from the locals.
Speaker 6: Right, I don't know, make it, make it part of the season ticket package.
Speaker 2: Good for Michael f to be to uh to take a snap. Yeah, we'll see. Uh we got about well, we're ready to go, are we, Kobe? Uh, we'll come back and the other side of your breaking news. Okay, cool,