Speaker 1: With a round segle end from London and Gerard read from Berlin.
Speaker 2: This is redefining energy.
Speaker 3: Today on refain ergy job. It's the crisis in the Middle East and we want to understand what's happening to the energy market.
Speaker 4: Absolutely looking forward to this conversation. Crazy times we live.
Speaker 3: In, but to us the world from my partner.
Speaker 1: A Loco Energy is Europe's premier leaser of ten foot container mobile batteries built in Europe with coatl best LFP cells. A Bloco Energy serves fourteen European countries, including France, Germany and the UK. Bloco's batteries can be leased for any duration between six weeks and six years and they are monitored by the Dutch award winning platform school a block O Energy. Make your life easier, make your business more flexible.
Speaker 3: Back to the show. Yeah, I mean there are so many scenarios, so many experts with our opinion, but too We've decided to bring someone really know something about the energy market, and that's Ira Joseph, who is a leading global gas analyst. It was at SMP Global and now he's at Columbia Center on Global Energy Policy.
Speaker 4: Well, let's bring them on the show.
Speaker 3: Ira, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Lora, so nice to be here. I'm excited to talk about this. It's even today, It's been quite a day.
Speaker 4: No, I listen every day there's something new. Just can't keep up about that crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to go back a bit how it started and talking about the general sculpture of the energy market. So Ira, can you explain a bit what's the energy market?
Speaker 2: Well before two weeks ago, the LERG market was in a very sort of clear place. It was going to expand by fifty percent over the next five years in terms of supply, and that was kind of everyone who's anticipating that coming and whether the question wasn't whether there was going to be a glot of LERG, the question was when sort of the glot was going to apply. And basically what was happening was that the US was going to produce a lot more energy, Qatar was going to produce a lot more ENERG, and then there were going to be bits and bobs elsewhere around the world of other countries that were going to produce more LNG. It guess us this fifty percent increase in a five year period, that was sort of what was going to happen. And obviously, when you increase the size of a market that quickly and sh such a short period of time, the question seemed to be about what the implications that would be for price, because it's very hard to grow demand that fast, and how is the market going to balance that much supply coming to the market fast forward to I don't know, let's say we're two weeks ago, a little over two weeks ago. We're in a totally different situation now because for the second time in less than four years, one of the largest LNG slash gas exporters in the world is basically off the market. It completely rewrites the script, just as it did in twenty twenty two, and it brings us here today. You know where we are where Qatar, which is one of the largest LG exporters in the world as seventy seven million tons was going to be expanding tow one hundred and forty five million tons by the early next decade, are completely offline. We have no idea when they're going to come back. And this could last for a while if, particularly after what happened today, you know, I would sort of lean more on the side of it lasting a little bit longer than I had been before I woke up this morning because the attack on the South far As gas field, which Lauran, as you know, is the same thing as the northfield in Qatar, has really put not just Ros Lafon into play in Qatar, but also the dozen or so production platform gas and condensate production platforms and Qatar. And it's over two hundred wells that have been drilled and that we're producing until recently on the Qatari side, So that situation is obviously in a state of flux. Iran has even announced in the past few minutes while we were sitting here that they've cut their gas exports to Iraq. If they haven't cut their gas exports to Turkey, which are about eight pscm a year, so that's around twenty two mmcm a day, they're gone. Also, we're in a situation where we don't know what's going to happen. Thought prices at least in Asia and in Europe are pushing twenty dollars per million BTU, while in the US, because it's really constrained on how much it can export via LNG, are still around three dollars per million BTU, so we have this incredibly widespread, this incredible incentive for obviously US LNG producers to export and really cash in here. Whoever is lifting that cargo's fob is going to do really well. As I like to say, sometimes people are going to make more money in the year than they had expected to make probably in the decade. So depending on how long this lasts. Obviously very bullish. If you can produce lerg right now and it's it's not if you can't produce lerg right now.
Speaker 3: Well what an introduction. Probably take a bit of a step back and explain to our listener, which are not expert as you are, and you're going to you know, you talk about MBTU, you talk about turn we are BCF and I know that that's really how the guest market works. But explain the pricing mechanism around the hubs because we have LNG regions, and of course that as an impact if you are an exporter, if you are an importer, and then we could go into details of really from the importing country, because I understand that the one who websur plus they're going to make a fortune, but the one who needs to import might find themselves in a really dire position, very.
Speaker 2: Very soon, That's right. So I guess the equation that we have to figure out here is if we've lost seventy seven million tons per year of Katari LNG, we have to figure out how to lose seventy seven million tons of demand going forward. So let's just start with price and then we'll get into how that balances. There are three important gas bot prices in the world right now. There's the price of Henry Hub, which is a pipeline gas price in the US, and that price is used in Louisiana as an indexation for how US gas is turned into LERG and how LLERNG is exported to the rest of the world. Even though it's a pipeline price, it's to use basically as the benchmark at least for now for LNG cargoes that leave the US Gulf Coast and even leave the East Coast of the United States as well. Men there's the other two markets, which are in Europe and Asia, which are the net importing markets for the LNG. Europe imports LNG, and most of that LNG is index to a price called TTF, which is a title transfer facility, not an unfortunately bad name, which is basically the Dutch spot market price, and the Dutch spot market price is essentially the benchmark price for Europe. Right now, LNG cargoes that are sold from the US are anywhere into Europe, most of them, a vast majority of them. There are still some oil index contracts we'll get to that in a second that go into Europe, but a vast majority of them are index to this TTF price. And then finally, in Asia, there's this other price called the Japan Korea Marker or JKM price, which is a spot price for Asian LNG markets. Asia. While individual countries have pipeline markets and there is some cross border pipelines, it's not nothing like North America. It's basically a very very large LNG market and that price is, as I said, the benchmark for Asia, and that is also what we would call a spot price, where there are bidden asks every day and cargoes are traded at hand every day. Now, the interesting thing about the LNG market is that the origins of the LNG market had none of these prices, and before these prices existed, most of the LNG going all the way back to the nineteen sixties was indexed to oil. At first, it was indexed off of Oman in Dubai crude prices, and more or less most of anybody who's indexing oil off of oil anymore, which is largely the Qataris and some other producers as well, they use the price of Brent crude to index to oil. And how that pricing works is you have a Brent price any day and then what's called a slope is applied to it, which is basically a percentage of Brent, which does two things. It discounts the gas relative to oil, and it also converts the equation from dollars per bare to dollars per million b to you. Typically an LNG oil index price with a slope. At the high end it'll be like fourteen and a half to fifteen percent of brand, and at the low end it'll be at nine to ten percent of brand.
Speaker 3: So the slope the calculation is the following. If the barining of oil is at one hundred and it takes a twelve percent slope, then you will get your LNG at twelve dollars p MMBBCU plus probably the liquefation cost and the transportation cost.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that would be the delivered price of the LNG. If you were to do an FOB price, you'd have to net out the transportation, and then if you wanted to net out the liquefaction you could do that too, although on a short run marginal cost basis, nobody would really do that. It's basically the price either minus the freight or plus the freight, depending on where you're lifting the cargo. But yes, one hundred dollars barrel oil is twelve dollars per million BTU gas. Sometimes people added what's called a constant to that price. That can be anywhere from fifty descents to whenever you want it to be to make some price adjustment.
Speaker 3: Today the twelve dollars, that is if you have well, first, if you can get the category gas. But if we see that the spot is at right now eighteen or nineteen. Now we have people in Europe they say, I don't understand what you say eighteen nineteen. It is because in Europe we trade in mega what I are. So you need to convert your to dollar and then you need to divide by three point four. But let's remove the mega what our price. Otherwise you better are going to be even more confused, very ex so right now, it means the spot market is even higher than those formulas.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. The spot price is around nineteen to twenty dollars, oil index prices around twelve dollars. Promilily bto the question is going forward? You know what is the price? Is it the oil index price, is it the spot price? And what's something in the business we call the central tendency price, like what is the true price here? Is it the Katari price? And the spot price is reacting to the Kuitari price or the Katari price is going to react to the spot price. But that's a bigger sort of structural issue when things go back a little bit more than normal in the future.
Speaker 4: Can I just say, just for me just looking at it, but I'm going to compare it to the Ukrainian situation from a Europeans perspective, what we saw the Ukrainian situation was again in terms of mega what our prices, because that's the way we buy it. We were like at twenty five euros and megawat we went up to three hundred. So a present like we're at fifty five euros and what's interesting for me in all of that is storage is very very low, so the markets are present, So the gas markets are definitely not sort of feeling this possible stress that might come in the future, right, And I think i'd agree. The longer list goes on, it's not just gas, it's oil, it's you name it. We're in trouble basically full stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It should also point out that guitars the world's low cost LND producer as well. I mean they produce with it seven hundred thousand conon say, they have a GTL that bround one hundred to one hundred and fifty thousand gas to liquids production. So the gas is not the actually the real money maker for them. It's really these other areas within the oil market itself that are pretty significant. But like you said, these are high prices, and the question is is will Europe consume the same amount of gas at these higher prices. Now, this month, we've already seen demand go down probably about five percent, so it hasn't gone down that much, but I do expect it to go down more as we get into the lower seasonal areas of demand. Typically European gas demand peaks in the second week of February and then on a seasonal basis, drops all the way through the second week of September, and in that period of time, as you point out, Jarred, there's a lot of gas that will go into storage. This year, Europe will acquire a record amount of gas to go into storage because so little has been drawn in March so far. The amount that's going to be need to be injected is a little smaller than maybe we thought, maybe even two weeks ago, but is still It's going to be around seventy billion que meters of gas, let's say, injected into story and that is very much at the high end of what is typically needed to inject in order to get to ninety percent of utilization capacity in Europe. So I guess the question really is will we get to ninety percent utilization? And that seems somewhat unlikely to me by the end of October.
Speaker 3: So Europe is not in a great position. But I guess there are some countries in Asia it's even worse, you know, absolutely in Korea, Taiwan, India. Tell me who do you feel is the most at risk?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I would say the most at risk are countries in Southeast Asia, which are Pakistan, Bangladesh, Thailand, not poor countries, but poorer countries than certainly China, Japan and Taiwan, who can really sort of bid up LNG if they really need it. These countries, as you probably read in the news, already are already cutting back on potential gas demand, either by shutting schools, curbing use at factories. There's all kinds of cuts that are going on because, as I said here, the magic number here is to get rid of that seventy seven million tons a year of katari lerg on the demand side. I just sort of paper on this for the Center that's freely available on the Center on Global and Energy Policy website, where I laid out around the world where cuts would come from, and I would say it's roughly follows this sort of methodology is that a third will come from China because China has a lot of flexibility in its ability to buy LNG, because it has a lot of fuel switching capability towards coal and renewables at this point, and they could probably take off about a third of the KATARI loss. They're also the biggest contracted buyer of katari lerg in the world, so they really have to cut the most. Then I would say another third is going to come from South Asia and Southeast Asia, as I mentioned, because the prices are simply too high for the governments to afford subsidized imports, and that will lead to cutbacks again in those countries as well. You do have a bit more coal capacity that could be run, and probably this will accelerate pickup in renewables, but obviously that doesn't happen and instantaneously. That takes some time to do. And the last third will probably come from Europe and South America, where christ will continue to destroy demand as it's been destroying demand in Europe for the past five years, and actually arguably it's European demand as you know, Laurent has been actually falling, not on a steady basis, but pretty much on a peak back in two thousand and four. So demand is falling, and when Europe needs gas hits because it's replacing gas that it was getting from other places, namely Russia and then more historically from the UK and the Netherlands. That's where I see cuts coming from. The last third probably coming from Europe and a little bit from South America as well, and that's how we get rid of those the entire Katari volume. If this keeps going on for an extended period of time.
Speaker 3: Let's look about scenarios now. And I see two scenarios, one coming from the White House and the other coming from Jeff Curry with the head of Committee Research at Carlisle First and are you. I call it the little glitch. And the second scenario I call it force measure. So the little glitch, I'm just reading a tweet from President Trump today. As soon as that war is over, which will be soon, Capital will your prices are gonna drop like a rock, Capital like a rock. So that's one. And Jeff Curry and James Gutman that will have very much. Last week publish a report called you Can't Print Molecule, which is built around physical supply chalk and they say somehow it's a COVID in reverse. Okay, we face a global collapse and process are going to go to the moon. A one means the respective bomb being fizzled out within two or three weeks. Scenario two is the gott a damn Cargis bomb, Sasparsis bomb like today, Samari raslavan or muse his mind used to be hundred chips, Pudena was less than five, very poor one. So what's your current assumption of I mean, where'd you stand right now and when we'll be back to normal if normal means anything.
Speaker 2: Well, as you're saying, it's gas here anyway, But if I had a gas I would say that because soft Pars was bombed this morning, which is the Iranian side of the same field that Quitar produces gas from, I would say that our retaliation is coming, and that the upstream part of Qatar's LNG production is very vulnerable. It's right there in the Persian Gulf, and Ras Lafon itself, where the gas is turned into LNG is somewhat more fortified, but is also very vulnerable as well. My assumption right now is not no Qatari LNG for at least another three months. Just the startup process is going to take at least a month, and I don't see that we're anywhere near the end of this because whether or not the US administration wants to stop what's going on now, the Qataris are feeling somewhat emboldened and empowered to choose when they want to stop as well, and doesn't require in a world where drones can be flown into anything, it's very very hard to stop the bleeding here once the bleeding starts, So that scenario I don't see necessarily even if the US were to walk away this stopping sort of right away. Now, that is more of a problem. Eighty five percent of Katari's LNG last year went to Asia and the other fifteen percent went to Europe and South America. It's really a bigger problem for Asian markets than it is, although given LNG as a global market, a problem for one is a problem for many if you're a buyer out there. So I do think we're going to see a considerable amount of demand loss out there having to do with christ And to paraphrase JR. Curry, you can't make up new volume of LNG. Now. There is more LERG going to be produced out of the US this year, we should talk about that, but nowhere near the amount to make up for the loss of what's coming out of Katar in the unicons.
Speaker 4: I just go back to the prices. Though again, if I look at the prices, and I'm going to say that second scenario doesn't seem to be in the prices Now I'm not disagreeing, and I think I'd probably go along with your view that that probably is what's going to happen, because again, if you look at the oil price and stuff like that, you would say, again, based in the second scenario, while the prices are going to hit all time high if that scenario happens. Now, the thing that concerns me is I don't see an off ramp for Trump. That's the concerning thing. I don't know if you see one, or if I'm missing something.
Speaker 2: You know, I do not, because even if he declares victory, it's not going to stop the other side from engaging in the kind of whatever they choose to do. They're in a strong position here. We've gone from closing the straits of our moves to be this that theoretical construct that I've been worried about throughout my entire thirty five year career, to it actually happening in a way that, frankly, I don't think anybody really expected. It was always like, the Iranians could potentially shut the straits for worst, but would they really do it? Would they cut off their nose to spite themselves? And that didn't seem real and they've clearly become empowered in a way because of what's gone on to have a different level of leverage here than they had before. So I still think it will get worked out. And I still think, like I said in Laurent's scenarios, I would take the shorter scenario. Those are the shortest star than the longer scenario. The world can't burn twenty dollars familiar b to you gas, it's just too expensive. You will lose massive amounts of demand that way, which is not just a short term horrible story for gas and LNG, it's a horrible long term story too. If you're trying to export LNG to another country, it's a very bad story for you. And you know we can talk through that scenario that's sort of structurally how this can really permanently change the LNG market as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's pivot towards five years. Okay, because the idea of bringing you on the show when you said energy used to be expensive but reliable and now it's very expensive and unreliable.
Speaker 2: Well where did I say that?
Speaker 3: You said that like week ago, and I said that that's prettiant, So thank you. The all narrative about guys, A bridging fuel and song is just collapsing in front of our eyes. So how do you see the stretion in five years.
Speaker 2: There's two sort of not paradoxical, but there's two things that I think could happen at the same time, which would be pretty bearish if you're an LNG producer. One is this is going to trigger more LNG supply, just like the Russian invasion of Ukraine did. More projects are going to get FID because everyone's going to run around the world with a project and say, look, you can't trust the Qataris anymore. You're going to trust us. We're more reliable or more secure.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Whether that's true or not, who knows. But it's going to lead to more LNG because that logic, while is somewhat sound relative to katar, it may not be sound on the other side of the equation here, which is the LNG demand side. And any of you who are listening who follow me on Twitter, know that I'm somewhat skeptical about LNG demand growth going forward even before all of this happened. But what I see happening here in terms of LERG demand growth is this is obviously incredibly bullish to me, for both renewables and batteries and for coal. For coal, this sort of stretches the line for coal to be used more going forward. The average age of a coal plant in Asia is actually still pretty young. It's under twenty years, probably even quite a bit younger than that, and China is only going to double down on renewables deployment, both inside of China and out and in rough speaking, forty percent of the world's LNG is used for power generation, and well, maybe twenty years ago there was no competitive forces out there other than coal that could really challenge LNG, but now you have what I call sort of is the LNG paradox. And what the LNG paradox is is that you have the most expensive form of gas supply trying to compete in the most competitive form of gas demand, which is the power sector, and that forty percent of the world's LNG market that goes into power generation is really going to be challenged going forward because these are alternatives exist out there, and this only helps those alternatives going forward, So we could end up with more LERG supply and much much weaker energy demand growth, which that when you add that all up means weaker lergy prices longer term, assuming Katar comes back, of course, and of course the Russians too, but that's a whole other story.
Speaker 4: I think it's really more common to anything else. It's just like crazy times we're living in and it has just become unpredictable. That's where I come from. We actually just don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Nobody predicted the loss of Russian pipeline exports to Europe and Katari L and G exports to the rest of the world in the last five years. That just like totally unpredictable.
Speaker 3: So yes, if we summarize in those short the winners are North America, Russia, Australia. The big losers are India, South East Asia, Japan, Taiwan, Korea. You're not great. China very smart, does a build a lot of buffer and as can pivo from one source of energy to the other. You talk about more Noble's more COREA probably would even add more nuclear and yes, how do you see it?
Speaker 2: China is more of a winner. I would put them sort of more where North America is while they're taking the electro state path rather than the petro state path. They're a winner here because even if every country in the world who imports LERG now or who aspires to import energy cuts their growth outlooked by twenty percent, that's a big change that shifts towards both renewables and coal in the overall balance going forward. So the North American gas market is also a big winner here, not just North America, because not only do I think LNG exports are going to grow and more projects will get done, which will support US gas prices. Some of the damage we've seen in the data center market and the idea of housing data centers outside your own country is going to be called into question as well. We saw certainly the Amazon knockout in the Persian Gulf that happened last week, and data security and having to cite data centers within the borders of your own country may also come in and I think that also is somewhat bullish for gas if you are producing gas. Also, kupude potentially bullish for LNG markets as well, because data centers and the whole data business itself is much less price sensitive than other markets, they can afford more expensive gas, so that is a potentially bullish scenario. For LNG in a market that's otherwise seems to me pretty bearish. Outlook if guitar comes back soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first of all, thank you very much for coming on the podcast. I mean it's I'm disturbed.
Speaker 5: In a little bit by what you said, but I mean that's the reality the world we end. The only thing that's going to happen long term, and I agree with you, is that it's going to push countries to electrify, because if you electrify, you have more independence.
Speaker 4: That's the reality of it.
Speaker 2: Mar Yeah, to a large extent. You'll be importing coal in a lot of cases too, but the coal market seems to not have the same issues at least for now that the gas and the oil markets have a rah.
Speaker 3: It was a treat to a you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming, Thank you so much for having me. This is great. I really enjoyed the conversation and please let's do it again sometime soon.
Speaker 3: Absolutely epilogue.
Speaker 6: A few hours after we finished the recording, Ras Laffan, the heart of the Qatar energy industry, would attack by missiles from Iran.
Speaker 3: Extensive damages are reported for the energy industry. Is the equivalent of what Fukushima was for the nuclear industry, decades of optimization of qualitly concentrated the staggering share of global trade through a single fifty kilometer chop point. We are definitely moving into the worst case scenario TTF for the twenty five percent This morning at sixty eight Europe, Omega what our or twenty three usd per and mbtu. Originally we wanted to name this episode Force Measure or Little Glitch, but you new title us to be apocalypse now and still I want to finish on a positive message. We for silful importers from Ireland to Japan. We got this. We're going to take ourselves out of this mess for good, EV's batteries, renewable eat, digital electrification, we got this. This is our Independence Day.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Redefining Energy.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to rate the show and subscribe on Apple, Podcast, Spotify, or the platform of your choice