Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Well, the news today, I would say good news. It's better news. How about that? Not a lot of good news floating around the entire area this week. But firefighters have begun to slow the spread of these fires. The ferocious winds have died down. Thank god. We are still in a wind event. Unlike we heard from the press conference, it is not still a historic wind event according to Karen Bassett's what it was, it is not. We're dealing with wins that are more reminiscent of a typical Santa Ana wind event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the behavior, the fire behavior we're going to see today is not the unprecedented kind that we saw on Tuesday afternoon. This is the better of the two scenarios where, yes, we still do have red flag conditions. The fire still could behave erradically, but not explode like we saw over the last couple of days. Quick updates the Palisades fire. They said this morning seventeen two hundred and thirty four acres. It is moving slowly, it's still growing, and in fact it's actually growing way out into the mountains. It's no longer gone from the hills to the ocean. It's moving back deeper into the hillsides, which means that it is moving east towards the four or five slowly and north up and over the hill towards the valley.
Speaker 3: So they are going to be working in that.
Speaker 2: But in terms of the damage, they said probably into the thousands the number of structures damaged or destroyed. And then in the Eaten fire over in Altadena, the acreage has held steady at about ten thy six hundred, and the good news was La City Fire said most of the growth in that fire has stopped. There are still homes and businesses, other structures that are on fire at the very least smoldering. Over a thousand structures, they said, damaged or destroyed by the Eaten Fire.
Speaker 1: The animals cannot be overlooked from this one. There are animals suffering from burns looking at the eat and fire in particular in Altadena right now, Kevin McManus works for Pasadena Humane Society joins us now with the state of Affairs there, and we're talking about large animals, Kevin, as well as pets, right that's correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we took it. We have taken in nearly three hundred and fifty animals since the fire broke out, everything from dogs and cats to we helped to evacuate a lot of horses, with a pig here on site right now, chickens. So yeah, any kind of animal in our area we're trying to help.
Speaker 2: Have you gotten animals that appeared abandoned or that we're just kind of running through neighborhoods, or are these people who have had their homes they had to evacuate and they needed a place to get them.
Speaker 4: Overwhelmingly it's been people bringing their own animals into us, which is the better case scenario there. Uh So, people evacuated safely with their pets found that they could not bring their pets to the particular shelter they were going to, or you know, couldn't bring them wherever they they were headed. So we're caring for those animals until you know, people can get back on their feet find out if they still have a home to go back to. We did get, starting maybe mid afternoon yesterday, handful of clearly like stray animals, and you know, we don't know to whom they belong, but a lot of those did have evidence of injuries, you know, some burned victims, some smoke anhalation. So so we've been caring for those, uh, the harder cases. Here at the shelter, we have a dedicated veterinary team and they're they're working hard to make sure that everybody's safe.
Speaker 5: Are you equipped to deal with that?
Speaker 1: I mean, do you put I'm envisioning and I'm not trying to be cute here because I just don't know, but envisioning like little oxygen masks over the little faces. I mean, are you equipped to deal with like mass injuries to animal I mean, maybe not mass, but dozens of injuries to animals at your locations?
Speaker 4: We are, I mean we have we have five veterinarians on staff and a whole host of veterinary like r vts and veterinary technicians, and we do have a lot of high tech equipment. So those asked oxygen masks, we do have those, and we have oxygen chambers where we have a couple of cats in right now to make sure that they that they can still breathe.
Speaker 1: And then if people want to help, are you taking volunteers? Are you taking donations. I know sometimes humane centers look for you know, clean fresh sheets or towels or what have you. Do you need anything or volunteers or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Well, our highest party right now is money. To be honest, monetary donations help us to you know, get the very specific care that these animals need. But if people have in kind donations that they'd like to bring our way, of course we're accepting.
Speaker 6: Everything we do.
Speaker 4: Our kind of priority list right now as wet and dried dog and cat food, and that will be used to help people who are in the community who have their pets who just like they maybe left without their pet food, that kind of thing. New crates are also super helpful or you know, very clean, well not well used cranes, clean blankets, clean towels, those are kind of our priority like in kind items that we're looking for.
Speaker 3: I have a small, little soft crate that I might be able to donate that he didn't use it. Oh, interesting, Just a general question.
Speaker 2: If people see animals that are still I mean still, there's gonna be other animals that are still wandering around trying to find you know, trying to find home or owners that were burned out of their own places. Do you get the majority of them? Are they micro chipped when you see them, or what kind of percentage are we looking at in terms of being able to place them and find the owners.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: Of the handful of stray animals that have come in over the last twenty four hours, a handful of them are microchips, and so we're attempting to get in touch with those folks or with those pets.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 4: A lot unfortunately don't have any kind of identification, which is a really good reminder for everyone to make sure.
Speaker 6: Your dog has a collar and your cat.
Speaker 4: Has a collar and tags and microchipping is so so important to help, not only just in crises like this, but just in general. If your pet ever gets out, microchip is the easiest way to get them back home to you.
Speaker 3: All right, Kevin, thank you for your time. We appreciate it. Good luck today.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You've met Kevin McManus, their prcom manager for Passaging a Humane Society.
Speaker 5: All right, coming up next, not out of the woods just yet.
Speaker 1: We will get a meteorologist on to tell us what we can expect today as well as next week. The forecast does call for more so we'll get an update on that as well as.
Speaker 3: The sun Rose.
Speaker 2: Today we got even more images of the destruction from the different fires burning throughout La County. The wind event itself is starting to taper off. We are still under red flag warning conditions because of the very low humidity and because of the winds that are higher than normal for this time of year.
Speaker 1: As much as the Palisades has just been reduced to ashes, there is still quite a bit of active flame which is why you're seeing still zero percent containment there, not just specific Palisades, but Malibu as well. Still worried about areas outside the Palisades as you get into Santa Monica, Brentwood areas. This thing has reverse course. Don't know if it was backfire was set to have it moved back up the mountain, but that is definitely the focus today.
Speaker 2: We are going to go back to Michael Monks a little bit later. He's out in the Altadena fire area, the Eat and Fire, talking with some of the people and looking at some of the destruction there in the Altadena neighborhood. We can always take your talkbacks, if you have comments about what's been going on. You can always leave us a message on the talkback feature on the iHeart app. Just sit that little microphone button while you're listening and you can send us a message. But we wanted to get back to Max Siparis, News Nation meteorologist we spoke with yesterday, and Max we talked about the peak of the winds happening late Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. Last night things died down significantly and as of right now it seems pretty calm. When do we see the end of this wind event coming?
Speaker 6: Looks like it will take us into tomorrow afternoon when we have that wind advisory letting well. Rather, the wind advisory ends later today, but we're still going to see those elevated winds through Thursday, through parts of Friday in the morning, and then by the afternoon. So by tomorrow afternoon, I think we're only seeing gus ten to twenty miles per hour, which of course is much lower than what we saw yesterday morning, even much lower than what we saw this morning too. But obviously the saving grace here that the winds have dropped low enough that we're starting to see, yes, those planes out dropping the suppressants, those choppers dropping the water hitting those rurals not rural, but more hard to get to areas in the canyons and in at the peaks. So it is improvement, but still a very challenging situation. Of course. At last Teck, the total acreage burned among those five fires that are still burning, the largest of which are out of control, as you mentioned zero percent containment is at twenty nine thousand acres, which is nearly half the size of Washington we see, just to put that into perspective for our listeners, So it is a massive amount of area. It's more area that's burned than the Mountain Fire in Ventura County in November and the Franklin Fire in Malibu last month combined, and that took weeks for those fires to spread that much. This I'm only taking forty eight hours or so. So again, those winds really a worst case scenario to fan these flames and spread the embers a lot more quickly than if they were lighter. So again, by tomorrow afternoon, the winds will I'm not going to stay be calm, but they'll be certainly much more manageable.
Speaker 1: And then as we look to next week, I heard the winds will be back early next week.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I'm hoping that another weaker weather system that'll miss us to the south will bring it the humidity up a little bit.
Speaker 5: So still too.
Speaker 6: Early to say if we're going to see another issuance of the elevated, critical or extreme wildfire weather risk that that Noah had issued preceding this event as well. So if it does pan out that we are seeing the recipe shape back up, they'll be served to issue as much notice as possible for folks to because again, just devastating, but at least there was notice. If there's any sort of silver lining here, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, Max Suparis, News Nation Meteorologist, thanks for checking in with us today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're welcome. Thinking about you guys.
Speaker 5: Thanks, you appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, you know, we were talking about rebuilding and how long it's going to take to rebuild areas like Altadena and the Palisades, and you know, something that not a lot of people are talking about is the fact that the Olympics are upon us. The Olympics are going to be here in twenty twenty eight, and you think about what goes into the Olympics. A lot of infrastructure, Sure, one of the reasons we were picked is because we already have a lot of infrastructure with arenas and fields and things of that nature. However, a lot needs to be built when you're talking about just the rudimentary things that go along with the Olympics, and it's going to be unconscionable really to proceed at the pace they're going to need to proceed at to build all of that to get ready for the twenty twenty eight Olympics, while people in the Palisades, for example, or waiting, you know, five years for building permits.
Speaker 2: And I think that I think some of that stuff is going to be if politicians have any amount of intelligence and concern for the people that they say they're going to serve, they're going to do away with some of that stuff because they need to get that rebuilding done quickly.
Speaker 5: Right, they should be cutting all that red tape.
Speaker 3: They should be.
Speaker 2: The other thing is, and I think about it when you were saying that, I'm thinking of the again, not to get into the poetry, but there's an allegory of when fire sweeps through a forest, it's it's a rebirth. It's a rebirth, right, it's a continuous cycle it's what happens. That's how that's how mother nature has been for a long time. This is different, obviously because we're talking about people's homes. But in an economic sense, there is something that grows out of this. There is something that comes out of the other side of a disaster like this, which is the rebuilding, the reconstruction.
Speaker 6: The.
Speaker 5: Money that's made locally.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, the economic reinvestment in these neighborhoods as they begin to rebuild, which I think is you know, we're months and a couple of years away from seeing the true benefit of that, but that the opportunity is there. This is not this is one of those things where, yes, we will rebuild, these neighborhoods will regrow. I don't know what they're going to look like in the future, but that they will come back, and that that kind of you know, the I don't even want to say silver lining because it's too much of a trope, but there is something on the other side of it that can be good. There can be opportunities for people to re energize their own economic health through something as devastating as this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think one of the main examples that I can remember is Hurricane Katrina and the way that New Orleans was able to rebuild and the great stories that came out of that after just the utter devastation in there alongside that.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, there are a holes who will try to take advantage of peak, of course, so I mean we.
Speaker 5: Will take them out back and shoot them.
Speaker 2: Sheriff Luna said today that the arrests there have been over twenty arrests of people who have been looting, and I don't know why, even tongue in cheek, he doesn't say you're putting your life at risk because I have ordered the deputies to shoot you twice.
Speaker 3: Once in the hand and then once in the heart.
Speaker 5: The hand first, just to make you bleed and feel pain a little.
Speaker 8: Yeah, hey, Gary and Shannon Lisa here, just curious. Have you guys heard of any charities or support groups that are sending food to the firefighters and police officers and even the newscasters that are out there giving us all this information. Let us know, thanks guys, You.
Speaker 3: Bet newscasters are fine.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: In fact, David Muir doesn't want any more food because he used a clothes pin to tighten the waste of his turnout.
Speaker 9: If you have not during his live shot yesterday. If you have not seen the image David, who's been on our show and he's great at what he does. But here's the thing. You've got to think about the audience. You got to read the room, you got to think about what's going on. We both done television.
Speaker 1: We both know at times what they'll do is they'll take a clothes pin to the back of your jacket or your shirt or your dress or whatever because it'll peer boxy on TV.
Speaker 5: So they'll do that.
Speaker 1: But if you're out on a fire scene wearing firefighter turnouts, probably forego the clothes pin to give yourself a waste.
Speaker 2: It gave him a waste. It kept the turnout tight across his chest, right. I mean, the guy works out. If you see him do the evening news on ABC, looks great. He does that thing where he leans on his right arm and it's like he's got his biceps flecked the entire time a moment.
Speaker 3: I do so.
Speaker 2: Anyway, back to Lisa's point, Yes, there are a couple. In fact, they mentioned one of them today in that news conference this morning, and it was the LA Fire Department Foundation, the Los Angeles Fire Department, foundation specifically for LA Fire Department, but there's also a statewide fire foundation called the California Fire Foundation. Both of them are five to one C three's both of them. You can search on the internet very quickly. We will throw links up for you, so that is easy. You can just click through and get those. But yeah, there are plenty of fire foundation style charities that will be raising funds to help support some of these firefighters that have been out on the lines for so long.
Speaker 5: I don't know how to feel.
Speaker 1: I'm conflicted on all the coverage about the celebrities who have lost their homes or were evacuated.
Speaker 3: It's fine. I just saw that too.
Speaker 5: It is notable.
Speaker 1: It is something to talk about, but not something to give more attention to than everybody else.
Speaker 5: I don't think I feel awful.
Speaker 2: They've lost their home, and some of them, I think Billy Crystal and his wife lost their home and they've been there for decades. Sure, okay, yes there's but what about for every Billy Crystal or Jamie Lee Curtis.
Speaker 5: There's a Billy Johnson or Jamie Jones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably twenty five thirty of them. For every celebrity that lost their house, somewhere else, so let's keep our foot off the gas when it comes to bast My car was covered with ash in the parking garage.
Speaker 5: Because you were closer to the entrance. Yes, but still I mean it was I did not notice it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really it was really weird considering it was underground, right, but the.
Speaker 1: Way it blows into those underground garages like that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we will always take your talkback messages. Let us know what it is that you're thinking about. When you're listening on the iHeart app, you just hit a little microphone button that's right there, a little picture of it, and he leaves us a message that comes right here. If you're listening on an enabled device and elect enabled device, all you have to do is say, hey, send a message to KFI and then she'll record or he'll go. However, you guys would do it, and don't make that every time I bring her up, you, my wife, every woman I know, they just get that face.
Speaker 5: Well, it's annoying.
Speaker 3: Go on. It's again a common refrain.
Speaker 1: I don't like that there's another woman in the house. You can change the voice constantly. I don't think he'd want to change her voice. I think he likes her voice the way it is.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's more about you. Oh really, Oh boy.
Speaker 10: Shannon, I just want to say thank you for what you said. You took the words right out of my mouth.
Speaker 6: Gosh.
Speaker 10: I had the same thoughts, and I thought that I was just wrong about it, but you validated my feelings. So thanks for speaking for many of us that feel action is the way forward and that the funny stuff isn't what everyone wants to hear right now.
Speaker 3: Thank you. In terms of the poetry at those news conferences.
Speaker 2: The other thing is, and I think that's an important point to make as well, is if you're not to directly even if you're not I should say, directly affected by the fires, your house has not been damaged or destroyed or been evacuated for a couple days, or your powers out or something. If you're one of the other millions of people who is not directly impacted by this, don't just go off I feel bad. Do something about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, and it could be anything that you want.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's you donate to the LA Fire Foundation or the California Fire Foundation, or you donate like I did, or like I said. The you know that empty pet crate, the dog crate to the passad In a humane society, it's the action is the way to move through this, not not.
Speaker 3: There's time for poetry and art later on.
Speaker 5: So Peter wasn't into his crate.
Speaker 10: Huh?
Speaker 5: What if he needs to be transported, don't you have to put him in the crate.
Speaker 3: I have a bigger crate that he sleeps in.
Speaker 5: Okay, that could be used for transport.
Speaker 3: No, that would be way too big.
Speaker 5: Well, then what's the deal with the crate that you were going to do?
Speaker 3: Where am I going to transport him?
Speaker 5: Well, when he guests has to go to the vet, I.
Speaker 3: Put him in the car. That's how we travel.
Speaker 5: Really, Yeah, it doesn't seem safe.
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 3: It's a five minute drive to the vet.
Speaker 5: There may become a time in Peter's life when he needs a crate.
Speaker 3: There could be a time in Peter's life when he needs a crate.
Speaker 5: You should probably keep the crate, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I have a different one. That's why I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's a why have one that he used maybe twice and then I got a slightly larger one nice because he grew.
Speaker 1: So he's one of those babies that just has everything.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 11: Gary Shannon, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 11: This is big j from Compton A. Shannon. I'm going to say this. You are a G for almost cursing. Yeah on the air. You know what a G is A straight gangster. And yeah, people stop voting for the same people that's not doing you right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, straight G, straight G A high praise.
Speaker 2: The updates that we got this morning about the fires were as good news as we could probably get in that the Pacific Palisades fire has slowed significantly, and then over in Altadena and Pasadena, the Eaten Fire has most of the growth has been significantly stopped, but in its wake just uttered devastation in some of those areas.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks has eyes on that devastation right now with the Altadena fire. Joins us from the corner of El Molina and Mariposa and Michael, I've seen some images come out from around your area of people just collapsing in tears over what they're seeing today in the light of day.
Speaker 12: I just walked past that scene in person of a woman being comforted by someone else as she just fell to her knees, bent over, looking at a distance at a building that is no longer standing, And so you can imagine the impact the emotional wallop that that packed when you see finally what you feared the most, that everything you've poured yourself into is now gone. And another very sad image that I just saw, a man had rescued a cat from up in the mountains nearby. And this poor kitty had been placed in a milk crate and covered up and covered in black and was just screaming in distress. And this guy on a bike was racing to get him somewhere to where that cat can get some help. There are so many smoldering pieces of fire around this neighborhood. Still the worst appears to be over as far as the fire, but the devastation has still not been processed. I just talked to a family who has been here for generations. He was staring at his grandmother's former home that is now a pile of rubber. Excuse me, rebel. They had fled the area and came back, not sure if they still had a house, but they did, and they grabbed a few things that are now walking on foot because the police and the fire department they're not letting people drive in this area obviously, so folks are parking pretty far away and having to hike it up here in order to see what they can salvage. Fortunately, that family lives on Madison Avenue, and I spoke to some folks here who are still hard at work on their block, which miraculously still stands. But it's not just a miracle that has these houses looking like they did even last week, except for a little bit of damage. One of the cars has gone up in flames aside of one of the walls. This group of neighbors together and tended to every single property that they could while fires raged around them. One of the ladies here says that they even used the almond milk out of the refrigerator, the perrier, they had in their garage, anything they had at their disposal, and they were racing from home to home to put out the flames as best they could. Also on this block is a historic Victorian home that is known as the Woodbury story House, and it was the home of Captain Frederick Woodbury, who's one of the founders of this city. All of this land once belonged to that estate, and so much of it now is ground again. But that nineteenth century Victorian mansion still stands on Madison Avenue because of the work all of the neighbors put in here.
Speaker 2: Who's are people driving around? I can hear vehicles in the background, but who's who's out? What's They're just people kind of lookie lose. I mean, you mentioned the woman clearly. It sounds like she had lost property, lost her home or something.
Speaker 12: But you are seeing mostly emergency vehicles. You might have even heard a horn there. You are also seeing some stilly and some members of the like me. I just took a long walk around the business district of Altadena to take it in get.
Speaker 3: Some post of post on social media. It is at that station.
Speaker 12: Everywhere there aren't a lot of people walking around. I don't know if that's because they're doing a good job of keeping people out. You don't have business here. This is the type of scene that I can imagine people wanting to take in in person, just out of curiosity or to share in the sense of loss. But there aren't a lot of regular joes walking around. I've only seen a dozen, maybe a little more than that, walking around. I've not seen a lot of civilian vehicles. It's mostly emergency vehicles or vehicles that are servicing those emergency vehicles like fuel trucks. Otherwise, it is just a scene of absolute destruction here all across the business district, you know, Altadena right here, especially in this part of it. It's one of those places in this major metropolitan area where you can kind of forget you're in a major metropolitan area. You can kind of lose yourself in the small town charm of a place like Altadena, and all of that is just wiped.
Speaker 3: Away right now, all right, Michael, thank you, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Guys, Michael Monk's there in the midst of some of the destruction from the Eton fire out there in Pasadena and Altadena.
Speaker 1: Thousand people are under evacuation orders or warnings as these wildfires continue to burn for big ones zero percent containment. The wins have died down, which we anticipated, and that has become a reality, and that hopefully will give the firefighters some time to get ahead of these things, because that certainly wasn't the case.
Speaker 5: Is they took off Tuesday and yesterday.
Speaker 2: Gene Smart, the actress, just won a Golden Globe for hacks made a plea for networks and TV streaming companies to reconsider airing award shows in the next couple of weeks. And actually, so you can't. I don't think you can't, No, she said, with all due respect during Hollywood Season of celebration, I hope any of the network's televising upcoming awards would seriously consider not televising them. She said last night on X They should donate the or and donate the revenue they would have garnered to the victims of the fire slid firefighters.
Speaker 1: Why don't they have a go old fashioned telethon? Do people do that anymore? Bring the celebrities out that would be at the award shows and just have them in playing clothes and not glam squatted up, and bring out real people and have a telethon and have the kind of numbers, at least more numbers nationwide than you would for this sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Well, and think about the option.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talked a second ago, not too long ago, about the this is not the celebrities are going to make headlines, obviously, but it's not all about them.
Speaker 5: But they could be instrumental in helping the effort.
Speaker 2: They could be Imagine if you had the people in the Pacific Palisades, whose homes or whose names you would recognize who lost their homes, standing in front of their homes or what's left and saying, hey, this am I got the same thing as Joe blowout in Pasadena. We're in the same position now and we need help.
Speaker 1: Well, there are no finer firefighters, and you're going to find in La City, La County.
Speaker 5: They're just the best in the business.
Speaker 1: They have the experience, they have the heart, and I've got to believe they've been super frustrated with being against a wind event of an unprecedented nature like we saw blow in here Tuesday morning, with those mountain waves just crashing into communities. La Fire Department David Ortiz's Fire Departments. David Ortiz joins us now and David seems like the frustration is palpable at this point when it comes to what y'all have been up against all week.
Speaker 7: That is true, it's been very frustrating for our firefighters. Typically, firefighters tend to be people that are highly motivated and they put their heart into what they do, and we live in these communities where we're fighting these fires, and it is just heartbreaking to see the amount of a devastrate and a devastation and destruction that this Calisates fire has caused.
Speaker 2: We know that we have crews coming in from other states, from all over northern California as well. How does it work in terms of getting some of those people on the lines to give a break to the people who've been working since Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 7: What we have in the state of California, and you mentioned the state nutel aid program is something that the City of Los Angeles and our local area coordinator, which is Ali County Fire Department, is something we participate all year round. Our firefighters are part of the system, and we send resources all over the state of California, particularly in the spring and the summer. We have fire engines in Northern California, our strike teams, and we help them when their fire season starts earlier in the year, and then in the fall in the winter when we need resources, they reciprocate and they send their crews out here. So we integrate very well. We practice and this is all since the nineteen thirties nineteen forties, after the bell Or Fire, we learned that no single fire department can stand on its own, and we need each other and so we have basically practiced and trained together with all these other agencies so that we can act as one large firefighting army, and the commanding control and the communications and logistics, everything you could think of our firefighters are participated in and we can all switch and wear different hats and fill in the spots where we need to fill in the.
Speaker 1: Spot Daniel Politics aside, has water been an issue.
Speaker 7: Water has been an issue in certain areas, and it's been frustrating to see people with their garden hoses wetting down their rooftops and their vegetation. Our firefighters are out there and they need that water. The system, which is the gravity fed system in the Palace aids fills up a tank at the top of the hill and then gravity pulls that water down to hydrants. That's where the firefighters connect. And what happens is in the morning. People get up in the morning, they shower up, and they start dipping into that tank that sits at the top of the hill using water, watering their lawns, et cetera. And as the day progresses, the amount of water that is in that tank starts to drop. Throughout the day. Night time, people go to bed, and those tanks are refilled again with water, and so that cycle is circumvented when the amount of water, the demand of water exceeds the design and capability of that system. We were drawing on four times the capacity of that water system, and so we were we were seeing some dry hydrants up in the upper hills above pH where they needed them, and yeah, it was very frustrating for our firefighters. So they had to basically develop an alternate plan and put some heart suction and use pools and use other water sources to be able to gain water. But it was very challenging for them to rely on tank trucks to come in and bring them water because, as you know, firefighting is a very time sensitive operation and the moment you need the water, it needs to be there.
Speaker 2: The conditions appear to be better today and not quite as frantic as we saw on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. What are some of the challenges that are facing firefighters today.
Speaker 7: The challenges remain with the vegetation. The field that's out there is dry. It's been dry because of a drought we had for over ten years. A lot of that vegetation is dead. It doesn't come back to life when it rains. We had rains, a lot of rain two years ago, and the benefit of that rain was as a new crop of grass which has cured and dried out and has become a very receptive bed to any spark. So that in combination with the fuels and now the low humidity and high winds, a lot of people are having a false sense of security that well, the winds are not as strong and we're we're doing a lot better. Yeah, we are doing a lot better than we worked two days ago. But we're still in red flight conditions. And that means that any new fire that starts is going to burn with a lot of energy, and if it's in alignment with a hill or a slope, it will have some speed behind it, even if the wind is not pushing it. So we've seen topographic fires in the Palistates area when it's even when you have to do when you when you have whole the weather, when you have the ocean ocean breeze coming in. We've had a fire two years ago, the Palisades fire two or three years ago. My brain is not working. It's been going without sleep. But we had a fire with the Palisaates fire a couple of years ago, and it was cold, it was damp, and the fuel still burned because there was a vegetation that had not burned in fifty years and we were able to stop it from progressing. Well. Where we stopped it, that vegetation remained there and it's there in very inaccessible areas that cannot be cleared out and it's still liable to burn. And we are not the only area that that scenario continues to be a threat a menace. All our partners throughout the region have very similar scenarios with low humidity, with these Santa Ana winds, with red Flagh conditions, and they're being challenged as well. We had two fires breakout last night, one in Hollywood Hills and another one in Studio City, both next to a lot of dry, dense vegetation, and we had the use of the helicopters and the winds were just not in alignment and that made a world of difference to be able to hit it hard, hit it fast, and get control and extinguish those fires. That's that that happens and that's available to us when we have the right formula. Unfortunately, two days ago we did not have for you know, everything we had the opposite. We had everything that came into alignment to have the perfect firestorm, and we still have good conditions for a fire. Well not good for us, but good conditions for a fire that are is going to be for rapid fire growth here in southern California. So we're asking people, please, please, please please be careful. Now is not the time to cut your vegetation with a metal blade device because that can spark and throw rocks and start a new fire. People with vehicles driving over dry grass, please, you know, think about those things. Your hot exhaust touching hot grass is going to start a fire. People throwing out their cigarettes out the window, that can start a fire because the vegetation is one hundred percent receptive. That means that anytime you have a cigarette, anything with heat that touches the fuel, it will one hundred percent catch fire. We've all tried to start a barbecue, and there's times where it's difficult or impossible to get your barbecue going. So we squirt all that lighter fluid on that right now, you don't need any lighter fluid to get any fire going. It will ignite, it will go.
Speaker 1: David thank you so much. Appreciate your time and explaining all of that. I really had never had that explain to me how fire hydrants work. It was fascinating. David Ortiz there, La County Fire excuse me, La City Fire Department. Appreciate your time, David.
Speaker 7: Thank you for having us.
Speaker 2: You bet, don't forget you miss any part of our show. You can always go back and listen to the podcast. Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app