Speaker 1: Stuck at home, bored and alone. You'd think I could have some fun on my own, but not all. I bought AF with Cecily and Stephanie.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, Welcome to board AF Patreon Patreon. I like French.
Speaker 1: I like that for you. I love that for you.
Speaker 2: Do you think that when they invented When Jack whatever his name is I forgot his last name, invented Patreon, do you think he meant it to be said in a French accent.
Speaker 1: Paulon, Yes, I do. Actually it was a Jack from Twitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: He's hot. He's a good looking dude. But then he grew like a very long crazy beard. I'm not sure if that was AI or not. By the way, I'm having trouble with AI. This is not the Patreon, but I cannot tell what's real anymore. I get tricked all the time, just all the time.
Speaker 2: And I feel like they're like, if you're looking at a tweet, not a tweet, like a TikTok a video that it usually says something that it alerted to that it's AI. But why do they have to? Maybe they're just like, well, they do they do have to, But I why do they have to.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the thing where it's like a woman they're on the subway tracks and a guy's kind of walking drunk drunk he's like something else?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, So I saw it and it didn't look real to me. So I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I don't even usually comment, but I was like, that's the most Ai thing that's ever AI, and a lot of people like that, and they agreed with me, and then this one person got mad. They're like, have you ever heard of the news? I was like, well, yeah, I've heard of the news. I don't understand. She's like it's it was all over the news. So I guess it was real, but I still don't.
Speaker 1: Was it because I thought it was fake. I think it was fake too.
Speaker 3: If my instinct said it was faked, probably it didn't look like a person really would walk like that, did you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were very exaggeratedly drunk.
Speaker 3: So somebody was like, that's not drunk, that's like they're having like a black They're having like a stroke or something like that. I don't think so, And they just happened to walk towards the tracks and then like boop. But then they're not gonna fake that so just I just figured it was Ai, but.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't they fall exactly. I believed all the deep fakes of Tom Cruise.
Speaker 1: I believe.
Speaker 3: I did not know about the deep fake, Like I didn't know like a year ago, and I'm like, oh my god, Tom Cruise sang this song at karaoke.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't have expected that. Nothing is real.
Speaker 3: What was the song? I don't remember. It was a deep fake. They had him singing it was just ridiculous. Oh, they had him like, oh, I remember what it was. They had him doing a ridiculously like kind of racist like Asian accent. Remember he was like saying he was in Japan and then he did like a weird accent.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that doesn't seem like Tom Cruise. That's so weird. And then everyone's like, no, it's not real. That's not real.
Speaker 2: Then everybody's like, oh my god, Tom Cruise is so racist, and it all right comes back to.
Speaker 1: That, right, and it's not that's not We can say.
Speaker 3: A lot of things about Tom Cruise, but I don't think that's one of them, right, right, I love him.
Speaker 1: It's kind of yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know, I believe me. I could argue the other side. He's I don't think he's great, but I would marry him for a contract. I would contractually marry him if he's wanting to do that again.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just saying, does he seem like he does want to do it again?
Speaker 3: He does date, but he does tend to date much much, much younger. I know that is a shock, and I'm going to save this. I'm not going to talk about all that because I'm going to save that for Hollywood cringe you guys should listen to. But yeah, there's a couple of there's a couple of new new couple, new couple alerts.
Speaker 1: That they Ageerence is like forty to fifty years. What evs? Who cares? If they could be your great great grandfather. I've given up.
Speaker 3: But speaking of grandparents, that's going to bring us to our topic today, which I hope you're I have two things, but it's all related. So I was digging through some of my mom's stuff, trying to help her go through stuff, and I found her mother's old diary and it's leather bound and all, you know, really lovely, and it's from nineteen thirty one, So it's a year in her life of nineteen thirty one. And the weirdest thing is it matches up so like today's date is also on a Saturday, do you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So whatever year like somehow, Matt, Yeah, I was really and I've had it for a couple of years, and I feel really guilty because I looked at it a couple times and I was like, oh, like, she was beautiful.
Speaker 1: She passed very young.
Speaker 3: She died when my mother was fifteen, and so she died like, so this is nineteen thirty one, and I want to say she passed, yeah, in the fifties, so she didn't live that much longer.
Speaker 1: But I obviously never got to meet her.
Speaker 3: It's named after her her, which is kind of kind of cool, right, her name was so it wasn't Cecily, it was Celia. But my mom was looking at the different like ways to say that, and she didn't like Cecilia. She didn't mind it, but she wanted something else. So that's how it happened. But so she I would look at this Nope, I would look at this diary and I was like, God, we were so different. I was really excited to sit down with it, and I don't know what I expected, but I was like, oh god, it's kind of basic.
Speaker 1: I feel really was like, I don't know if we would have been friends.
Speaker 3: I don't see the through line. Then today, out of nowhere, I just picked it up. I'm like, let me actually really read. It's hard to read because her handwriting is good, but it's just it's flowery. I'm having a hard time reading it. But when I was like, let me just work through it, let me read this, and I realized, like we're exactly the same, because there's so many times that it starts with she's much more refined than I am, because remember it's the thirties and she's sitting there probably with like a beautiful pen, you know, writing in this book.
Speaker 1: But like a lot of it will say like today blue, Like.
Speaker 3: One of them was a Monday, Monday whatever date, and she's like blue Monday, and then she says that a lot.
Speaker 1: She's like blue Wednesday. I'm really blue. I don't know why, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: It never occurred to me to ask my mother, who doesn't talk about things like that very much.
Speaker 1: Like what was your mom?
Speaker 3: Like what my mom describes her as always is just the sweetest woman in the world. My mom has very black and white thinking you're either all good or all bad. So the sweetest. She never did anything wrong, so I'm thinking, okay, she had no edge. She was absolutely perfect. She probably was very sweet.
Speaker 1: But reading her diary, like of course my mother, I don't know that she ever even read that, but almost every day was I'm very very blue. It's a lot of letters sending so waiting for a letter.
Speaker 3: So Max was my grandfather and they had met but were not married yet, so a lot of the entries were like Max wrote me a letter today, I can't wait to read it.
Speaker 1: Matt, I wrote Max a letter, So I was like, god.
Speaker 3: She would have been floored by Facebook on Instagram and you know what I mean, Oh my god, yeah, all she's doing. So all it was was like feeling blue and writing that down, which I do in a different way. Mine's poems about you know, clowns or whatever however I express it. But being sad, boy crazy, constantly talking about boys or whoever her love interest is, which happened to me my grandpa, which is lovely, but there were probably other guys, you know, in her years past.
Speaker 1: You definitely had big crushes.
Speaker 3: And wanting to receive the message, not really being in the present, kind of constantly talking about letters and where people were and like did they get my letter?
Speaker 1: And I so me like I don't know, man like kind of a cool thing to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of makes you feel less crazy when you're like, oh no, this is a thing that's gone with genetic Yeah that through the years people have felt this way.
Speaker 3: Or maybe it's a lot of women, like you know, we forget. I don't know how often you're more open. You're so open, But I wonder like do your kids, like does LB ever say like, what were you like at my age? Or do you just do you talk about that kind of stuff because we don't think about it.
Speaker 2: I don't really ask me totally honest.
Speaker 3: But I don't think we did either. I didn't ask, I didn't think about it. I was we're all in our own movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I've told Xander's like definitely of my kids the most interested and sort of the past, and he's asked me a lot of questions about what it was like to like do stand up and stuff like that. Oh yeah, is Xander going to do stand up, do we think I think he wants to.
Speaker 1: I would love that.
Speaker 3: Let's make that happen, okay, but then also like just be like also go more of the music route for life, go and be a comic.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean it's hard. I've talked to him about that, about how I've talked to him at length about how I wanted to be a comedian and I did become a comedian and how much that life kind of sucked and how I had to let that go and not be doing all things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh I love him.
Speaker 3: Well, it got me, so I know we're going to I'm not going to pull out all the journals, but I found one that we I haven't pulled from. I put a lot of my my diaries, which I kept very extensively myself most of my life until I started writing on the computer.
Speaker 1: But I found my.
Speaker 3: Junior high diary, so this would have been she was older. I don't think how old she would have been. I'm not good at the math stuff, but she would have been probably in her early.
Speaker 1: Twenties, late teens.
Speaker 3: So I found mine from a little bit younger of my probably most angsy time, like angsty time.
Speaker 2: Oh, you were most in middle school.
Speaker 1: My oh fuck, yeah, weren't you you were older than me?
Speaker 2: No, I was, no, I was bullied. No, middle school was terrible for me.
Speaker 1: Middle school is a oh.
Speaker 3: I was out of my mind. So I think, let me just make sure I think this is middle school.
Speaker 1: So I wasn't. So I love that.
Speaker 3: I got my beautiful and she was beautiful grandmother's diary and was like.
Speaker 1: Basic and it was nothing. It was not basic at all.
Speaker 3: Then I opened my little notebook which Garfield on the cover, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Calling her basic.
Speaker 3: Now I'm checking myself because hers like beautiful handwriting and really honest and like just lovely. So let me just read you some of mine from a little younger than this age than a courage. But it's a Garfield holding a Teddy Bear, says mini notebooks.
Speaker 1: I'm going to open first page is I heard Duran, Duran? I don't care. Who cares?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: That's not now which one of us between my grandmother who is named after and who's incredible, which one of us like deserves the word basic? That's fun.
Speaker 3: Me concert was great, I said, okay, so then we none.
Speaker 2: This is so you were going to concert. That's pretty young to be going to comment.
Speaker 1: My dad was a DJ. He was a DJ.
Speaker 3: I started going to concerts when I was like five. Wow, yes, I went to all the anything I wanted to see. We could get tickets and it was and my parents started letting me go alone. By twelve, I went to Duran Duran by myself with a friend Elayne. We had a blast. I tried to climb on stage. Nobody cared. It was gen x Man eighties drop off a reunion arena, pick back up.
Speaker 2: We're I mean, I feel like like parents are fairly strict these days. You would think it's the other way around. But for any of my parent friends, you know, a lot of my kids were not allowed to go. Well, they were allowed to go do stuff. My kids were, but like other parents wouldn't let their kids go. So it was really hard for my kids to go have fun because they'd write a friend to go with. And I was always like, god, wow, am I that lenient? But I also feel like I remember in those days parents were kind of the same, Like a lot of parents were very strict, so you must have found something friends.
Speaker 3: I had pretty lenient parents and we were all. It was just it was a time, but here's my next one. So hers was like, oh I felt so sad today and waiting for my beloved and here's mine. That's hers. Okay, here's mine today. Here's what you're wearing. White and brown polo sweater, white shirt underneath, playing guest jeans, jewelry, gold bracelet, swatch hair, nothing, shoes, pray.
Speaker 1: Now that's what I wrote in my journal. Huh huh.
Speaker 3: And I did that every day because I didn't want to repeat outfits because I was really deep. I was really really like God, I was so in touch with like feelings.
Speaker 1: And I mean, you know next does that?
Speaker 2: You know who does that? Kids on TikTok and on Instagram. Haven't you ever seen these seen or heard these accounts? Or maybe I just do because of the kids, but a lot of kids have these outfit of the day accounts.
Speaker 1: God, I kind of want to do it again. Now I just wear the same thing. Ever, I've been wearing the same Wicked sweatshirt every day for two months.
Speaker 3: I love I write that in a journal. I didn't even like Wicked that much. It was just it was just swag from the studio. You know, they just send it to you. So I'm like, it's soft.
Speaker 2: That could be funny to do, like a parody account of outfit of the day, but it's just like the same three days in a row. It's the same sweatshirt and sweatpants.
Speaker 1: I mean, I had a lot of I do want to say in the eighties.
Speaker 3: This was like Junior High eighty five whatever, eighties, Like I had some good Oh this one Saturday. I think I read this one to you before, but I just wrote please no drama gag out. Now, like I said, my grandmother had different. She didn't say please no drama, gag out.
Speaker 1: She's like, I'm.
Speaker 3: Feeling I don't know why I'm feeling so sad, and I miss Max. No drama gag out. And then I wrote Sunday Sunday school, no way.
Speaker 1: And that's it. That's it.
Speaker 3: That was my Uh, that's what I want you to know from that year. That's what was happening. But I had great taste and clothes. I really did. Uh, this is fucked up. I'm going to redo something that I haven't seen since this year. This might be a different Patreon you know what. We might release this as a regular show. We might put this up as Patreon first because I'm going to be interested in.
Speaker 1: This special Notes of the Week.
Speaker 3: I write yet Alfred's Birthday, get Alfred's birthday present?
Speaker 1: So do you want to know who Alfred is? Yes? Would you like to know who that is? Right?
Speaker 3: There's also I also said, where mada of gloves? We're fusion are right? Fluorescent pink shirt and Madonna gloves. So that's what I was wearing that day. But Alfred, I feel like this is for another show.
Speaker 1: Do I keep going? Yes? Keep it going?
Speaker 3: Okay, I had to have told this, but in junior high, my bestie and I were, as you can see from the Garfield notebook, very obsessed with Duran Duran. So I took one of the albums and I found the phone number for EMI Studios.
Speaker 1: I think I told you this, and it was.
Speaker 3: Like an England number like four four seventh, you know, seven whatever, And I was like, let's call it, and we figured we had to call the operator. I definitely told you this, but I may not have told you the second part. So we had to call an international operator, which was like not just zero, it was like zero one to one or something. We figured it out and they're like I remember them saying We're like, please connect us to this number, but we were obviously children, and one time the operators like, are you sure, yes, so they put us through to this phone number at Emi Studio. The person who answers the phone is this much older man, okay, very English, and he's like hello, he'll do and we were like laughing and whatever.
Speaker 1: Like we love Duran Duran. He's like, oh, so he would talk to us.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm not saying in any way, I'm not I don't want to put anything on this guy because he never said anything inappropriate to us, But in retrospect, it was strange that he I think we might have said we were seventeen, but we were twelve, and.
Speaker 2: He he did. Like.
Speaker 3: So we began a friendship with this man named Alfred. I feel okay talking about this because there's absolutely no way he's still alive, right, absolutely no way. He was very old, and so we started like penpaling. We got his address at Emi Studios and we gave him our address.
Speaker 1: He did not show up, he didn't live here.
Speaker 3: And he would send us pictures of the band of Duran durand he would send us pictures of.
Speaker 2: His penis and it just was totally like a normal thing. It didn't mean it in like any kind of weird way. But he didn't do anything like that. It was always pictures of the band. So then one day we're like, send us a picture of you, and so he did, and what he sent was a picture of George Michael. But George Michael hadn't become super famous yet, so it just looked.
Speaker 1: Like a really hot guy.
Speaker 3: Oh, he did not know who it was yet, so this may have been a little before whatever. So then maybe we're in like sixth grade. So then he we gave him our phone number two, and he would call the house and my mom it'd be like what my mom would answer, and he'd be.
Speaker 1: Like, hello, tel fridge, is Cecily home?
Speaker 3: And my mom would just be like mm hmmm, because again gen X eighties. She thought it was a little odd, but she wasn't scared because he didn't live here and he planning on coming, she knew. But I mean it was weird, but we would have these like I guess when I think back, it's kind of Michael jacksony. But he wasn't in any way grooming us. He didn't say anything like anything. One day really might want you.
Speaker 2: Let me just remind you that on our coverage on Rose Pricks, which hopefully is where you're listening. Well, no, you're listening to Patreon. On our cover Corey Feldman, who has claimed for years and years and years that the case against Michael Jackson is ridiculous. He's a great guy, super super nice. He meant no harm. I can't believe it. But also, yes, Michael Jackson did show him pornography, but he wasn't grooming him.
Speaker 1: I know, but he didn't show his pornography or anything like, he really didn't. I don't want to speak ill of his I know it's odd, but maybe it was just I mean, look at Harold and Maud, it was like maybe just a friendship. Maybe he missed his grandkids or maybe he just you know, it was never it was never weird. I can check back it.
Speaker 3: It was weird that he that we did that, and we ran up a seven hundred dollars FuMB bill which we had to pay off in chores.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, how are we going to do that? But yeah, and that's not like me. I lost my mind. A little came to Duran, Duran, but to us, it was like a connection to them and he you know, I don't know. But one day he.
Speaker 3: Sent and he's like, oh, I have a dog. Because I sent him a picture of my dog. He's like, I love it. And he's like and I was on my desk and guess who saw it? And I was like, who saw it? Was like Simon. So I was like, Simon Lebond saw a picture of my daddy's like he picked it up and said cute pop.
Speaker 1: I was like, shut up.
Speaker 3: First of all, he probably didn't, but then I was like, we'll say. He goes, I have a bagle. So he sends a picture of the beagle and you can tell that it's a very old man who lives in England in the eighties. It was a time, you know, very like middle class englishman who worked as a studio security guard and was probably a little bit lonely.
Speaker 1: Never inappropriate.
Speaker 3: It was not I mean, thank god we didn't live there, you know, like, it wasn't like that. But it was this friendship. So obviously if I was saying, I was, and I do remember this. I got Alfred a present. I don't remember what it was, but my mom mailed it for us. She mailed it to England to the studio and he was very pleased to get I think it was like a scarf, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And I don't know came of him. Yeah. This so we kind of kind of went and we started with a diary.
Speaker 2: I just went for a little bit of deer television when you were trying to find the guy, the guy that I.
Speaker 1: Hooked up with. But see, I feel to bring it back full circle.
Speaker 3: If you didn't listen to that episode of Dear Tellers, it's one of our best and you had a great story too.
Speaker 2: We should play that one for well, this is Christmas week, we should play that one as a as a best of for the next week.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and uh in that I to bring it back full circle from my grandmother's diary. Had she had she gone on a crazy trip to London, as boy crazy as she would, she one hundred percent would have tried to track down this guy.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't, like you.
Speaker 3: Said, I don't feel as crazy because yeah, I think it's in the blood. It's just in the fan. It runs in the fam. But she was much deeper and more beautiful than I could ever ever be. And I apologize that I ever for a second thought that she was.
Speaker 2: Did you tell your mom that you started reading this stuff?
Speaker 1: No, because we don't talk about stuff like that. I my mom.
Speaker 3: I want to believe me. I try, but she doesn't. She's not that interested. I'll try again. I'll try again. I don't know that she would get it on the level, like she'd just like hmm.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I think I'll ask her because I'll say, was she sad? Was she she?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe she doesn't remember her mom that well since she lost her at fifteen, And she probably also tries to paint it in a certain way in her mind because of course that was her, like you know, she loved her so much.
Speaker 3: That was her like saint, right, So I get that, but I will ask her about it, call her today.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, you guys, Well this was a Patreon Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: And please join us, you know at all the other places we give you content. Yeah, because we got a lot. We love you all right, by the