Speaker 1: Adventist Radio London. Inspiration for the song.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Talking Point with Ray.
Speaker 3: Sen You Angeler, discussing the hot topics and answering your.
Speaker 2: Questions, Saturdays five to seven pm.
Speaker 4: On Adventist Radio London.
Speaker 5: It's talking Point.
Speaker 6: It's talking Point.
Speaker 2: It's talking Point, it's talking Point, real conversations. You need to have.
Speaker 7: Good evening, good evening, and welcome to Talking Point. It is another Sabbath evening, February the fifteenth, and thank you for.
Speaker 4: Joining recording in this progress evening.
Speaker 7: I hope you've had a good day here, good Sabbath wherever you've been and what have you whatever you've been doing here in I'd love to say here in sunny Watford, it is no longer sunny. We had quite a nice yesterday, but it is maybe a typically February day, but it's quite gray and it's been starting to rain as well. But regardless of that, there is sunshine right here. And I'm glad that you were able to join us to join our discussion. Today. We will pray to start and then we'll go into the next installment of our relationship series. This whole month of February, we've been talking about relationships, and we are We've been having some really interesting conversations and this week we are kind of looking at the solutions. How can you actually have a really good relationship, whether that's a friendship, a working relationship, or romantic one or a marriage one. So we've got a good panel of guests on with us today, so we're going to be discussing that. But let's pray to start and then we can get going. Father God, I want to thank you for blessing us with a wonderful Sabbath day, Dear Lord, and I hope that wherever people have been that they indeed had a blessing from what they received, what they heard, what they took part in what they worship. Dear Lord, I pray now that as we start our show talking point, that you will bless it. You'll bless all our guess who have come on to share their insights and their expertise and their experiences. Dear Lord, and I pray that those who are listening will gain a blessing, will learn something, and it will be we'll have a good time in you, dear Lord, and thank you for being such a wonderful God and for blessing us and for loving us, dear Lord, and I pray that your love will be an example for us to follow, to share that with others, And thank you for hearing and answering.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 7: Okay, So it is another week of February, another week of love, and I guess if you are in the UK, I'm not sure about it around the world. Actually, yesterday was Valentine's Day, so traditionally loveday, and I recognize that, you know, not necessarily into the whole commercialism of everything, and ideally love should be something that you're celebrating year round every day. But it was traditionally Valentine's Day, the day of love, and that kind of ties in nicely with our month of February month and love. And we've been talking about relationships and we've kind of, I guess tagged it in the sense of I'm sure people have heard of this the men of from Mars, women of and Venus kind of tagline. So we've been kind of really highlighting the differences between men and women and how they see relationships, how they do relationships, and I guess when we come together, how that all works out. So last week, if you joined us, you would have heard our panel of ladies were on discussing all things relationships. They're responding to some of the previous show that we did back in November with a group of men who were talking about sharing their insights into relationships, which is quite interesting. So we did sort of pull on some of those points as well. But this week we've got a mixed so hopefully we'll get some more insights. But what we really want to talk about to date is some solutions. So that's what we want to talk about todate how you can have successful relationships and how you can have successful connections or you know, good relationships all around. So if you want to join in with the conversation, please do. We'd love to hear from you every week. We always say this, and sometimes we hear from people, sometimes we don't. But if you want to join in the conversation, share your thoughts, share your opinions or your own experiences, you can email us on studio at Adventage Radio dot London, or you can send us a text message at eight triple to eight write hope, leave a space and then your message, or you can send us a WhatsApp on zero seven four five nine six four to eight nine eights, So do join in the conversation and let us know your thoughts. So let's just check in seat. It's myself off in studio by myself today, but I do have my co hosts some with me today, So let's go to pedro.
Speaker 1: How are you doing.
Speaker 5: Afternoon talking point? And thank everybody for joining us today.
Speaker 1: So you had a good week.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, definitely had a good week, really fast week. Yeah, yeah, nothing really, it's just you know, same old, same old other dollar another die. I'm gonna do a different phrase today, you know, just you know, no work and kids and you know, just maintaining and you know, learning something every day. I think we learned. I think in life, we learned something every day that you probably didn't think you would learn, even if you're like especially have teenagers. Yes, for me personally, you know having teenagers. Just yeah, it's definitely something different that I learned every day. So for me, just you know, maintaining and just you know, thanking the Lord for airing my lungs and for a healthy family.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 5: So yeah, especially this cold and everything going around.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, indeed, lesson about that. I felt a few sniffles myself this week and I was like, oh, I don't want a cold in this cold weather.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 7: I've had enough time, so yeah, hopefully leave that one alone.
Speaker 1: Cool said, yeah, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm well, good evening everyone, the panelist. We've got a full house tonight this evening.
Speaker 6: And also two hour listens. It's when good to have you tuned in. My week was good.
Speaker 3: Yesterday Valentine's Day, but also my mom's birthday yesterday. I've got to do half half half about the mother's love and then the other half about.
Speaker 1: The other love love, birthday, mummy.
Speaker 6: So grateful, God is so so good, so good.
Speaker 5: Day yesterday.
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness, I celebrak. I know you say that.
Speaker 5: I know and forgot that you just said that that was Valentine's Day.
Speaker 6: That might be a point of discussion.
Speaker 5: That's another discussion at another time. Yeah, but I don't. I don't say limit any holidays, birthdays, Christmas, New Year's.
Speaker 1: Nothing interesting, I don't interesting.
Speaker 7: Well, okay, so we've got a full house today, as you said.
Speaker 1: So how you how you?
Speaker 6: I know, we do have to jump in at.
Speaker 7: It was busy as always. Yeah, it's a bit up and down, and if you're sitting in the background. That's my mum in the studio with me today, so we might have a musical accompaniment for that as well.
Speaker 1: But yeah, my week's not been too bad.
Speaker 7: But up and down. Yeah, gone very quickly. I wonder whether I've achieved a great deal.
Speaker 1: But here we are, here we are. So we've got a.
Speaker 7: Full house today, She said to Danya, someone to quickly go around and say hi to everybody, and then we will make a start. I'll play a piece of music and then we'll make a start. So if you were with us last week, who was on last week with us? Oh we had, I'm gonna start with Geraldine. So Geraldine, do say hello and introduce yourself. That's all right, Hi, how are you tell us a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 4: Hi, I'm Geraldine.
Speaker 8: I'm a psychologist and I coach. I work on the Better Help platform. I have an actors and I'm a spiritual woman. Oh god, and.
Speaker 7: Cool, cool, cool, Okay, thank you for joining us and welcome back. And it was great to hear from you last week. So I'm looking forward to your insights this week as well and last week hopefully.
Speaker 1: Shannon.
Speaker 7: I know you're having some technical difficulties. Shannon are you with us? Can we hear you?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 4: Are you able to hear me?
Speaker 7: I am Yes, we're hearing your lad clear. So I just introduce yourself. Tell us little bit about yourself as well.
Speaker 4: My name is Shannon, Shannon Curtis.
Speaker 9: I'm a writer of Finding You Mental Wellness Explored, and this week has been.
Speaker 6: Amazing in that I've written.
Speaker 9: I've completed another two books and well accomplished.
Speaker 4: Yes, so yeah.
Speaker 7: We'll have to get you. We'll have to get you with another show when we're doing around after. We do have a lot of authors on some coming in, so definitely would be good to highlight your work there. But thank you for joining us as well. And then I'm going to go to one of our gentlemen. I'm going to go to Hilton. So, Hilton, you've been on the show before. Gonna say this time last year. Really wasn't this time last year last year? So welcome back and thank you for joining us this evening. Tell me a little bit about yourself, tell our listeners who you are, what you.
Speaker 2: Do well, it's promptly is a pleasure to be on the shore. Just confirm that you can hear me.
Speaker 1: I can hear you.
Speaker 4: Fuye.
Speaker 2: Okay, wonderful name me Sirtain Samuel, and I concidentize her to be an apostle to families. I help people fix the broken marriages and their hope singles, perhaps sign the right person for them.
Speaker 7: Cool, lovely, So again another of our experts, as it were, looking forward to hearing your insights and then joining us. We've got two newer guests. We have Sharday. So I'm gonna say, Shady, if you want to come off mute and introduce yourself. We met Shade a few weeks ago Overreatchick'm so welcome.
Speaker 1: Says a bit about yourself.
Speaker 4: Thank you hire. My name is Shade. I'm a hairdresser.
Speaker 10: I've been a headresson for about twenty six years now, so my whole life really.
Speaker 4: I am a mom.
Speaker 10: Of two, well three really because my niece is like my daughter. She lives with us, and yeah, been married for two years. Been good actually, like it's quite surprising that I didn't think it would be this easy. But then it's only two years in so we'll see how that goes. But I thank God, so far, so good, and yeah, I'm happy to be here and maybe share something inside with you guys, because in the salon, like you know, I'm not like a lot of people have trained thervice, I am be doing they even.
Speaker 4: Though I'm qualified. Or in the salon we all talk.
Speaker 10: It's a space where a woman can be comfortable and we can like trust in each other, confide each other and advise each other. So yeah, maybe some of that I might be able to bring to the table tonight.
Speaker 1: Yes, I bet you're saying.
Speaker 7: Actually, when we're rich, is it in terms of you must hear a lot people?
Speaker 1: You know, it's like you said, it's a safe plenty.
Speaker 7: It's a safe space and people feel comfortable, you know, talking, you have conversations, So I'm sure you must hear quite a lot. So yes, looking into insights there. And then we also have another new guest done with us today. Geraldine mentioned him earlier, but I'm going to welcome Garth to our panel today. Hi Garth, you're trying to come up, come off you and let us know introduce yourself.
Speaker 11: I Hi, good afternoon, that's my pleasure. Happy sober all and the rest especially, I'm from and Tobago. I'm a teacher, I'm a counselor, I'm a head coach, I'm a friend, I'm a fiance, a daddy, it's the corner man father, and.
Speaker 12: I am you're one of.
Speaker 11: Your presenters this evening, cool responsors, this evening.
Speaker 7: Okay, lovely, and thank you for joining And you're joining us from am.
Speaker 11: I am I doing soon because I'm not seeing myself.
Speaker 7: I can see you, but that's fine. I can see you, but I understand you're actually you're in Trinidad at the moment, So thank you for joining us a little earlier than us. We're kind of coming to the end of the day and I guess you're kind of midday ISHU as well there, So so yeah, we've got a full house here today and thank you all for joining us. And as I said, we're going to be looking at solutions to making our relationships and our connections work. We've I'm sure we've all had various experiences over the years, some good, some maybe not so good. But I'm sure there are some top tips, some cree strategies, key things that will help us make better connections and have good relationships. So that's what we want to hear from moms today. We talked a lot about there's quite a few things that came out of both of the conversations with the men and the women about how things can be done, the challenges that there are. But what we want to do is leave our listeners with some good information as to how we can have successful relationships at whatever point we are. So I'm going to start off with a piece of music. I'm going to go with Kat Franklin's love theory, and then we're going to hop into our questions and get into our discussion. So Kat Franklin with love theory.
Speaker 13: Brothers and sisters, I want to welcome you back to life, back to the one. They can make your next chapter your best chapter.
Speaker 6: How a man?
Speaker 4: How good you see.
Speaker 2: Your life?
Speaker 9: Was?
Speaker 1: They legging?
Speaker 14: Funny? Two big, great and some face it with you a win? Even everything here I can pull like you go away, Come on, he said, A day.
Speaker 15: That's a pusson funny profile makes my fey like.
Speaker 4: That's why nobody but you.
Speaker 14: I don't wanna love nobody but you. I don't wanna love nobody nobody for you.
Speaker 2: Let's go Nick every one the massic grace of Julian you.
Speaker 1: Cover me became me.
Speaker 16: I appreciate it as it's amazing concutations with big I will that you don't give up on me, help me healthy, succe than you like you, com everything, my God.
Speaker 13: Let me tell you when it goes, say and you will.
Speaker 4: Hallelujah.
Speaker 13: That's not fuss, not enough like this, And I promise.
Speaker 4: You like you.
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 4: You Yes, I don't want to know about it, No.
Speaker 1: Sir, storm over, No, that's right.
Speaker 17: I don't want to.
Speaker 18: Know nobody nobody and the church saying, come on, Jesus loving you it sounds crazy, don't hey.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you what it means.
Speaker 16: That's why I want to love no body.
Speaker 14: But I don't want to love no.
Speaker 2: I don't want to love nobody.
Speaker 13: Nobody, but I really mean at this time.
Speaker 14: Jesus, nobody.
Speaker 13: Let me tell you when it goes.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 13: People, let you down, Mike. See, I will never final I love like the.
Speaker 19: Form of the day. Let me again, so cold the rest of my life.
Speaker 20: Thank you, everybody to love you.
Speaker 13: You're a savior.
Speaker 2: No, thank you.
Speaker 4: I don't want to love no.
Speaker 2: I want to love nobody, love nobody.
Speaker 7: But you, Okay, Kat Franklin love theory. So we are joined by a wonderful panel this evening we're going to be talking about, As I said, this is our month of relationships, and we've kind of been looking at, I suppose, the differences between men and women in terms of how they view relationships generally from friendships to maybe working relationships and then moving into the kind of more romantic or a little bit about dating and going hopefully to move into marriage. But it's a challenge along the way. And you know, each of the sessions that we've had have kind of highlighted that. But today we really want to talk about what we can do to have more successful relationships. And I've kind of sort of thought, sort of thought about this in terms of four different areas in terms of things that we can do as individuals, because one of the things that was coming out in some of the conversations was, you know, women are like this or men are like this. So really I kind of said, okay, well, there are differences between men and women. We may approach and we may have quite there were some general things the points that were coming out, how men can be sometimes less emotional, or they don't talk as much, et cetera. And again that's a very wide genuinalization, whereas women could be a lot more in tune with their emotions, they talk a lot more, they communicate a different way. But they were also on the flip side, big differences And this maybe could be a generational thing as well in terms of how we communicate with each other, how we connect with each other, and the challenges and there may be some differences that happen now that were very different for years ago. So again I'm going to look at some of those things there as well and think, Okay, with all these changes and the way people do things, can we be successful in our relationships and our connections? So I guess as a starting point, how can we as individuals? I suppose what can we contribute to our relationships? So if I'm thinking, okay, if I'm not in a I'm not talking about my management, If I want to kind of meet somebody and I want to make a connection, what can I do that puts my best foot forward to have a success. Yes, for connection relationship, you know, a relation relationship, being relational with somebody else? What can I do for myself? And is it very different for me as a woman as it would be for a man in terms of what I would do? Have it come across because I know again I remember last week men need to step up, and I think previously it's women need to be more feminine and need to be a bit more approachable. So I'm going to throw that out there as a first question to start off. Anybody, any of your thoughts on that one.
Speaker 20: I don't know what.
Speaker 3: I'll jump in well, so everyone else cass their thoughts.
Speaker 6: The the the.
Speaker 3: I mean, Hilton, you you said it nicely before in November when you were on, and I thought that was such a good point to make, and of course it was disputed or not disputed, but discussed the fact that our women communicate, our men communicate functionally. Or if I'm not muship from saying it right, you'll have to correct me or a mend what I've said. But you're saying that our men tend to communicate just for specific purposes.
Speaker 6: There is a need, there is an.
Speaker 3: Issue that needs to be addressed, and they go in and they talk about it very briefly, and the job is done and they move on. Whereas our women, we will multitask. We will talk about X, Y and Z, the point we called about, the point about yesterday. We'll maybe go around the bush epic is what Pedro said before we actually get to the issue, and you describe that as one of the fundamental differences in how we communicate, and perhaps that photos or bubbles up to how our relationships are different men from women.
Speaker 6: So I'd probably just ask you to just elaborate.
Speaker 3: On that a little bit more and then maybe tell us how that feeds into the question that's been posed. Now, how can we as men and women maybe adjust our styles if if everyone's concluding that that is how it is for most, how can we adjust out our styles to make ourselves more.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the word is going today.
Speaker 3: Attract There you're going through attractive to the other to the other sex.
Speaker 6: So let me let you start that off from memory. Can you can take it from them?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for that. I can't exactly remember that the context and the things that actually said, but as you were speaking, something came to my mind in terms of tweaking that many people some people connect to talk and some people talk to connect.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what you said. Oh that's what I said. Okay, yes, and and.
Speaker 2: I feel that generally speaking, again, these are generalization. You know, we've taken them with a pinch of salt that lots lots of women tend to talk to connect and as they speak, they you know, things get clearer in their minds. They process things in that in that kind of way, whereas no, no, actually is the other way around. Now I'm confused, right, well, let me just let me process this because I actually want to go off on a slightly different tangent with regards to the whole aspect of navigating the world of dating and attracting and all that sort of thing. And uh, and I think that there are two fundamental things that researchers found the evidence that human beings. So they are general things that human beings looking look for. There are gender specific things that people look for. And then there are personal things that people look for. So which one do you want me to start with? First? The general, gender specific or you know, and then there are personal things and probably.
Speaker 6: A good place to start again, a good place.
Speaker 2: Yes, general. In order to have a very powerful, what I call rock solid, high performing divorced relationship, there are two characteristic top qualities that we have found is really essential both in men and women, and these are compassion and kindness. Compassion and kindness or niceness that if you have these qualities, you make a very very powerful and your relationship will go a long way. And I'll just expound on what we think those two qualities are. I mean, many people hear these terms and probably know them, but I want to just specifically explain what we consider to be compassion and what we consider to be kindness compassion, and I think many people know this is the ability to empathize and sympathize. But however, there is an other element and dimension that people don't really think about when they think about compassion. Compassion is to understand, to empathize, to probably put yourself in another person's shoes. But beyond that is to is the desire to help the other person, particularly when they're going through a bad patch, when they're when they're down and out, when they are going through grief, or when they're going through when when you're compassionate, you have a desire to help, a desire to make it better if you can, a desire if you if you think a very good example I've heard this guy use, if you if you're walking in the forest, or if you meet a car accident and you see a little child inside the car, crying. Most of us, the vast majority of us, would want to help, you know, we want to comfort that child. We want to, you know, bring some kind of solace. So that's compassion come Kindness is the flip side of that. Kindness is actually desiring the happiness of someone and wanting to Again, there's a desire wanting to facilitate that, to help that, and to augment that. So if you have these two qualities, you become a very attractive person, very young, skin deep. I know some of you are here, you look the part you know, wonderful and beautiful, and then you know, but all of us know that beauty skin deep. But when people get to know you and understand that you have these qualities, people would be drawn to you. I don't know if I should just pause and let other people just chime in here rather than dominate the conversation.
Speaker 7: Okay, well that's a really interesting point. So I guess based on my question, so if I can demonstrate compassion and kindness.
Speaker 1: I could be off to a really good start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the Bible is quite clear on that. If we from a biblio centric point of view, when Paul speaks about I think it's in effhesions for be kind one to another, tender hearted, you know, tend the heartedness is compassionate, being compassionate kindness. He mentions that there, and then he goes on to say being able to forgive him as God for christ sake has forgiveness. So I just wanted to slip in that that that aspect the biblical, the biblical centric perspective on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, thank you for that. Any other thoughts I have.
Speaker 4: And then okay, go ahead, Okay, that's really great.
Speaker 10: I was just thinking sometimes based on the conversations I have with a lot of women in the salon, and what comes to across a lot is that we don't necessarily a lot of time understand the roles. And because it's like a barber shop and heterosone shop, when we do start talking, the men chiming the woman, it goes into like a big thing, you know.
Speaker 4: But what because.
Speaker 10: I'm I'm my thirties, what I realized with women my age, talking to my friends and talking to a lot of younger girls and stuff, no one really understand their roles. And I think what you can bring to any healthy relationship is understanding the role that you are going to play what you should play according to God's standards, And I think that's something that I had to learn as well.
Speaker 4: Like being married, I had to.
Speaker 10: Understand my role, but also as a single person. If you don't understand your role, what you're meant to be playing when you do get into a relationship, then you don't necessarily know what you're looking for when you are looking for a partner. I feel like when I was younger, I mean I didn't really understand why I was thought like, you know, just being able to cook and clean and being able to smile and do prey and whatever was enough. But then I didn't really understand what characteristics I needed to embody and how I need to be in a biblical sense to be able to attract the type of partner that I wanted to attract because I didn't know my role.
Speaker 4: So I think understanding your role.
Speaker 10: As a mal what you're meant to be playing, and then understand your role as a female, like working on yourself, working on what you're meant to be, who you meant, how you're meant to interact with each other, understanding your flaws and then working on that and then maybe then when you're looking for someone, you're looking for someone when you're sorry, when you're yeah, when you're looking for that healthy relationship.
Speaker 4: Because you know who you are.
Speaker 10: What you're supposed to be, and what you're meant to be embodied in your role, then it's easier.
Speaker 4: For you to attach the healthy relationship. Okay, I think I'm trying to say very cool, cool.
Speaker 9: On the top, live, Yes, indeed, roles, respecting for each other's role, but also applying love. Love for every person might be different. Are you guys hearing me?
Speaker 1: Yea yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 9: Love can mean very differently for each person. So it's establishing what love looks like for you, what love is by for me, so that you can portray the right.
Speaker 6: Play, the right action is meaningful to the other.
Speaker 9: Showing admiration deep, being a actions deep, you know, and.
Speaker 6: It doesn't mean like.
Speaker 1: Married.
Speaker 6: To show like the admiration, you.
Speaker 9: Need to start from before from you decide that this is a person that you select. You need to, you know, show that you're really passionate about the person. Just to bring it into the biblical terms, the Bible says to leave and cleave and christ like that for the church, like here, like the women are supposed to be like the church symbolizing, and the husband needs to be that care for the woman, to protect her, to be the provider and leading from the front, and the roles are there for those purposes. But if you don't have that role displaying, then of course you're going to be confused. So it's important to have that clarity what you what you're meant to do, or what what that display should look like so that you don't get that confused, because then your behavior is gonna be very different or a waiver if you're not sure. And of course have their roles to so I'm not gonna like explain what that is. But I think as young women, the older ones, especially those who in church who already have like some knowledge, they can start to pass off those knowledge. So we could have like maybe once a month or twice a year, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know, I don't know, bire environment where we can pass.
Speaker 9: On those directions so that people are clear from people who have already done it.
Speaker 4: And are are successful in their relationship.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, so that's really a practical thing. Because I was as you were talking, I was thinking, okay, so.
Speaker 1: How would I find out my role.
Speaker 7: How would I know this? You know, what would be? Where would I get the information from? So that's kind of a good suggestion there as well, Geraldine or Garth, any thoughts on I guess from a therapeutic perspective, maybe any thoughts on that as individuals? How can I be off to a really good Startine's area?
Speaker 8: So let's go ahead, we go, we bouncing between one another.
Speaker 4: Again again, go ahead, go ahead, right, So I'm just going to bounce off from the back of Hilton.
Speaker 8: Actually, and I think he is really correct in the sense of kindness and compassion, because Paul tells us let each esteem each other better than themselves is an act of kindness and compassion. And if we look at Galatians, we look at the fruit of the Spirit, and it details nine essential areas for one to actually know and learn from themselves. But I want to touch on two points in addition, emotional resilience. It's very important to understand how you can cope and recover from stressful situations.
Speaker 4: That's very applicable to.
Speaker 8: Bring into a healthy relationship because you really don't want somebody in that relationship who is probably buckling under every stressful situation of life, and hence the reason why I believe in itself that when we depend on Christ, Christ, who.
Speaker 4: Is our rock, is our short foundation.
Speaker 8: With supposed to be able to build a kind of stability upon Christ's work and stability within the relationship.
Speaker 4: So emotional reason elements.
Speaker 8: Get in touch with your feelings, understanding who you are as an individual even before you enter into a relationship, so that you know, I'm not saying it's book by the book, because each relationship is different. You know essentially as yourself that there are certain things that you can cope with. You talk about it and you understand each other listening to how each other quotes within this situation and what you can bring into that relationship.
Speaker 4: The other thing I want to quickly touch on is temperament.
Speaker 8: So just the White talks about temperament in mind, personality and character. I think it's really important for you to be able to understand the different types of temperaments. We have four garth and I listen to a sermon this morning, and I think it just re emphasized for me in my mind. Whilst counseling couples and looking at people who are struggling in relationships. I recognize that their temperaments, they don't really know them, and so they're not understanding how each other is able to esteem each other better than themselves.
Speaker 4: All right, That's where I'm going to stop from minute.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool girls, did you have a thought there?
Speaker 12: Yes, I I normally always do have a thought.
Speaker 11: How can we as individuals contribute to healthy to healthy relationships?
Speaker 12: And of course, from a teacher's point of.
Speaker 11: View, we are in charge of students and we will influence them directly or indirectly to developing maintaining healthy relationships. And most times we like to make sure we don't take certain terms for granted in terms of healthy. What do we call healthy in terms of relationships? What do we mean when we see relationships? One I think is Shannon said, love is something different in different cultures, in different communities, in different countries. What I might think is a love, she may not think is love. I might think she is abusive, and she may think, no, it may not be so. Sometimes, especially when we're online, we need to establish certain words or phrases and make sure it's applied and it's applicable to the community, so that when we look at how can I or how can we as individuals contribute to a healthy relationship? Shout why as we walk the road, we don't take things for granted? You know they are I mean she is correct because I've been to the UK and I've gotten called your shock, thinking, well, okay, I'm seeing people coming towards me, so the natural behaviors raise a hand, high, smile, good morning, good afternoon, and it's like they didn't even see you.
Speaker 4: You know, yes, so that.
Speaker 11: It's correct. But I want to I liked how it started off. Hilton started off and then we came down. So that I want to add each individual vidual is responsible for their developments, right, for their improvements.
Speaker 12: And so the first thing.
Speaker 11: I would think is one should be at a point mature enough mat you should not have taken place where they would have acknowledge that they are at a point where they could start making friends and developing better friendship. And if their hormones is on that side, then they must be aware that they are rules to follow in developing. There is one or two texts I use a lot to.
Speaker 12: Guide me, to guide us.
Speaker 11: Our faith faith comets well, we are saved by grace through faith, right we are saved by grace God's love through faith.
Speaker 2: But what is faith to me?
Speaker 11: Faith is not just belief. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word. So if faith is such an important thing for happiness, for being safe and saved, and faith is associated with knowledge, faith is associated with reading, with hearing, with discussing, faith is probably what we are doing, all right, because it's a doing. They say, faith without works is dead, So that what we are doing here is faith. We are building faith, so that the individual would need to build faith build themselves, I think it was said before, but acknowledging recognizing where they are at because they would.
Speaker 12: Have been trained by a parent, by.
Speaker 11: A teacher, by some adults, and in terms of their culty again because every society may have a little difference in training, all right, but to them it would be their norm, their normal behavior in developing one's self. So one have to be ready because association, you know, is two coming together. And sometimes I think, yesterday, I'm I'm ahead of the department as well. And we start with the principal yesterday talking after school, and I said, let me bring in in my mind, let me bring in a point here one time while we are you know, four of us talking. So I said here I did talk about this need the fire room to do you know a particular subject, and the principle said, anyway, let me go.
Speaker 2: I have work to do. You know.
Speaker 12: So it's important to know where you are, how you are, wet words, so.
Speaker 11: That you don't speak out of context. You could speak if I'm speaking Spanish. I don't expect somebody to come and speak German or e English to develop a relationship.
Speaker 12: We made relating, but it's what type would it be?
Speaker 2: Healthy?
Speaker 11: No, so knowing self, as I said, knowing the rules to follow.
Speaker 12: We have books Bible Ellen White, you know, because the word is not jazzy bye. But the word is also what we call the.
Speaker 11: You know, the.
Speaker 12: Those books that support the Bibles.
Speaker 11: You know a man.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you for that, Sena, so your hand before had you any thoughts on this?
Speaker 6: Or help him as wealth, I'll help him go. And then it was just a question, a follow up question.
Speaker 3: Okay, so so you had a point to what's already been discuss.
Speaker 2: Per okay, okay, sorry.
Speaker 6: Your hands absolutely?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I wanted to muscle in here and suggests this guy Alan Alaine, the button who is an English flast of helm Uh. He's reading the book on a Relationship and he makes a very powerful statement. He says that our error is to suppose that we were born knowing how to love, and that managing a relationship might therefore be kind of intuitive and easy. But then he goes on to say, and this is brilliant, and I call this a lot of time, that love is a skilled to be learned rather than just an emotion to be felt. I repeat that love is are skilled to be learned rather than an emotion to be felt. And I think that we are based, particularly in the West, in this romantic concept of love and relationship. And what is even more frightening is that And I think, Shaddy, I don't know, yes your name Shaddy alluded to many of the conversations that she's been hearing in her in her workplace. I think that many people, unbeknownst to them, come into relationship with a certain template, and the template that they come into the relationship with, they're totally oblivious of that what the template is, and many times that template isn't triggered until they are prom dead center in the relationship. And relating that all kinds of things come up, and I think one of the best things that we can do for ourselves and for anyone that we are engaging with regards to relationship is to try to tease out, become aware of what is that person's template and what is your template? Because if you find out what your template is, and many times, like I said, it's not very easy, you think you know it, but God forbid. When you eat and you begin to relate, and you begin to engage and you begin to interact, you get triggered in ways that you thought you probably would think, whoa is that me? So if we begin to tease out, expand on explore what are the core skills that we need to learn in order for us to have a healthy, high performing, efficient relationship, then I think we would go a long way and having good relations And just to say that before I go, I also think that we need to recognize what the function of relationship and marriages because you, like some people are saying, speak about roles. These people spoke about maybe different aspects, and I think it comes down to what is the function, what is the what is the purpose of a marriage or a relationship? And when we get clear on that and you will find out that you know, it's not like the world has it, and it's not like many of us think it is. I would they say and correct me if I'm wrong, And I think Geraldine might be able to support me on this. Here, Geraldine that the function of a relationship or a marriage. Let me just put it another way. My thing is that marriage is a oh my days, it's gone for me. Marriage is more of a ministry. Marriage is a ministry. It's more of a ministry. And one guy asks a very telling question, okay, and the question is when you get married, would you want to be holy or happy? You want to be holy or happy? And when we recognize that marriage is a ministry and there are three elements of marriage that I think that we need to become aware of. And again this is more theory. We could get back down to the practical dynamic aspect of it. That marriage, for high functioning, high efficient marriage or relationship has three essays sacrifice and Geraldine spoke about Galiationians and somebody spoke about we are we represent the feminine, represent the church. So there is service, submission, and sacrifice. And I think if we begin to tease out the fact that when you get married to someone, you actually called to serve them, You actually called you. You're in a ministry to help that person and the whole universe, you know. L Ny speaks about that hangs on the aspect of service. When Christ came, he said that, look, I came to serve, you know, if he was watching the disciples. And when we recognize that we are placed in the life of someone else to enrich, enhance, ennoble that person, that we're there to serve that person, and you are a channel through which our whole partner with God to save that person's soul. I think our relationships would have a different dimension and different direction and different perspective altogether.
Speaker 7: Enough said okay, Cynia, did you have a point to following? Jump in there, go to Shannon. Okay, Shannon, go ahead, I will I.
Speaker 9: Will hold hold two words as key that we need to do is respect. From what I've heard others as well and said as well. So respect is very important because if for example, you're going to speak in tern or turn, then you would need to respect what that person is doing and think about it, so you know, stuff like that. And the other one is exercising forgiveness. Because that has to be applied over and over again because we're symbolizing a lower level of heavenly things or heavily heavenly.
Speaker 6: Practice or scenario.
Speaker 9: And so we're going to get those principles in action right where we are so that we can also receive those forgiveness, those blessings that.
Speaker 6: Are meant to come to us. Those are two very strong areas.
Speaker 9: None of us can really high behind. We're going to get it in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 6: Then also.
Speaker 9: Meeting that person in terms of what their what their likes are. So if you have a quarrel or if you have a disagreement, you you're able to touch that soft spot where you turn things around very easily. And the word that says, do not go down. Don't let the sun go down down on your wrath, because if we understand that, every day comes with its own challenge and its own problem solving. So if you allow it to accumulate, like if you have a VEX yesterday and you don't like make up back, then when tomorrow comes, it's just gonna pile on and it gets more difficult to address.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, thank you, Sanya.
Speaker 3: All Right, Sorry I was trying to answer before when I was on the mute Apology.
Speaker 6: But it's it's all.
Speaker 3: Been really full and deep and meaningful conversation, a lot of reminders for some and new information for others perhaps, But my question is because it's all been good, it's all been informative, and we know what we're looking to do, but I still feel, how do we do it?
Speaker 6: How do we work.
Speaker 3: On our compassion and our kindness? How do we work on our ability to be respectful and understanding?
Speaker 6: How do we work on our emotional intelligence? Are we born that way?
Speaker 3: Or is there a place that you go, Like you go to the pharmacist for medication, is there a place that you go that you can pick up these things? I know Shannon mentioned before that there could be courses, and I think she hinted to it being in the church, maybe spaces and places within the church that this can be taught or explained or discussed. So is that where we started? Does it start with our parents? The upbringing?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I'm I'm going all over.
Speaker 3: The show because I think we've got good solutions, we know where we're headed. But for someone listening stops, even for myself, if I've got things to work on where do I go to work on it? How do I know where to start when I'm working on it? And Geldine, I'm going to destroy it? Oh to you, because I think, can.
Speaker 5: They say one thing before you throw out the journey?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 5: Can't say one thing?
Speaker 6: Cause I was actually, oh, yes, sorry, Patriote, that was kind.
Speaker 5: Of gonna be my question too, But I was gonna go kind of piggyback on Hilton a little bit, which I agree with what he said about I think I forgot the word he used. But my world would be like expectations. I think sometimes we go into a a marriage or relationship with a certain expectation. But if we don't go in with that expectation just knowing that who we're gonna be with or who we are with, you know, God has put them with us, and then we learn It's like you were saying, how is there a template? I don't know. Well, the template is the Bible. You learn from the Bible and then you expand from that. But then you don't expect I think sometimes as people, we expect certain things to be a certain way and they don't turn out to be that way. So when you get married, you expect their marriage to be there's certain you know, like roses and diamonds, and it's not and it's work and it's hard and you have to learn the other person. And then you start finding other things about the person that you didn't that you didn't think they did or you didn't like. So you find out, you know, even though you may try to find out before you get married, there's always something when you get married that you're like, I didn't know that about you because maybe they just didn't they it didn't come up or it just didn't show itself until you get married. So I believe like if you go into a relationship with not the expectation of it, without the expectations that you may have, and I know some people are going to say, well, I expect this and I expect that, but you don't always get what you expect. You don't always get what you want, you don't always get what you what you think you need. You're gonna sometimes you're gonna get what you need. God's gonna give you what you need and you may not realize it until you end that relationship. Am I saying that right? I don't know that. That was just my thought process on that.
Speaker 3: If I were to piggyback on you, then I would say, I think we should have expectations, but maybe it's just about setting healthy expectations.
Speaker 5: That's I need that, And that's what I'm saying, Like yeah, but like okay, So like I'm going from personal. When I married Tala, I expected a certain thing, but it was not. It didn't turn out the way that I thought. And and to be fair, I always tell people like me and Tara's relationship and our marriage has been I would not recommend that think some of the things we went through in our marriage for other relationships, because they may not survive. So I think it's based on the person's upbringing and that and there what they have. Like she had a mother and a father. I just have mother, So we had to then combine those. We have to combine those together, the expectations that we had, and combine it to become together as one. Like like the Bible says, you know, when I married Tara, then I cleaved away from my mother and my father and I went and TV was one. So when you're one, no matter what you may expect it to be, you you work with what that person. They faults and you help build them up. So Taler helped me build Taler builds me up and certain things, and I build her up in certain things. And then you can get to the expectations that you thought was going to happen in your marriage. And like I said, that's just my view. You can debate or you can say I'm wrong, I'm not gonna be mad, or it's just my view.
Speaker 7: I mean my thing to help him, that would be again to sort of I guess go about. Sesenia's question was almost like how do you do that? Because you kind of think, where does where due us or where should maybe my expectations.
Speaker 5: Communications, as Shanna said, respect, communicate, respect, and understanding communication, that's what. Then that's what all the things that you learn, you read, you study, you look at other you you talk to other people. You get examples and then you kind of you kind of like put it all in a pot and mix it together and then you and then you pick out what works for you because what works for what works for us may not work for you, but you can kind of tweak it to where it works for you. So you get you get examples from from as you say, from the church, from other couples, you know, even bad and good, even a couple that doesn't last. So a couple that doesn't work, you learn, well, they did this and it didn't work, so you know what, maybe we should stay away from that because it's not gonna work, you understand. So it's like you just you. It's like life lessons. I think sometimes books is good to read and to study, but sometimes life experience is better. We have a tendency sometimes not to look at the life experience of people. We have a tendency just to go with or they're a doctor, or they're a psychiatrist, or there this, or they're that, and we don't We only go with what they say. But we don't look at some of the church members that have been married for fifty years and they never had a they don't have no book knowledge. Their whole thing is from experience, what to do, what not to do? How should I understand? We don't look at that as people, especially in the church, we have a tendency. I hate this, and I'm probably gonna get in stolid, but I hate this. I think sometimes in church, as church members, we don't look at the people that we should be looking at. We only look at the people that the pastor the old. We only look at people that have a title. We don't always have to look at those people. We need to look at the people that have been doing it for the life of the relationship, with the life of the marriage and learn from them. Go in and pick and pick their minds and talk to them.
Speaker 4: Exactly about her. Yeah, me too, I agree.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 10: Like it's one of my biggest things that I literally talked to her. Every person I mean that is older than me. I love sitting down and having conversation with other people that are married because you live from there, like you experience what they've experienced without actually living in So everybody that's married, I mean, because I'm very newly married, I'm just like, what advice would you give me? Or what did you have to what would you say I would have to do? What would you because I can learn from their experiences with that and the thing with us about that as young people, what we tend to fail to realize sometimes is that the older people, they carry a lot of wisdom, you know what I mean, whether they were in the filed marriage or not, they would be able to give you advice as to why it failed or why it's working. And we sometimes as young people, we tend to think that we know everything.
Speaker 4: But if we just sit and listen sometimes.
Speaker 10: Like it can be very very helpful. I've always been that person. From growing up. I'd always asked older people, like I would say and listen to stories for hours because I'm just like I need to hear what you did.
Speaker 4: So I don't do that.
Speaker 3: Do you get good to hear you say that? I'm almost stand it to say, repeat, repeat, repeat. Our young people need to hear that if they don't already know.
Speaker 10: I honestly like it's one of like I've got a lot of older clients are coming, like I love hearing the windworsh story and the wind Ruge generation stories. I love hearing how how you been married? I mean like we travel.
Speaker 4: I travel a lot. When I go, we go to loads of different inventist churches. Everywhere we go. We try to finan chide and you go to it.
Speaker 10: And when I was in Watertime, i met this couple that was married for seventy years. So I'm like, wow, I was listening the whole time. I wouldn't talk it to nobody else in the ship. I just wanted to hear all these stories then, because that is an accomplishment in itself, and in this day and age, my generation is just like, Okay, we picked this up, we drop it.
Speaker 4: We don't like that we pick this up, we drop it.
Speaker 10: But marriage is a commitment, and when we make that commitment before God first of all, and then before the world, we have to understand how to deal with that. The only way we're going to know first of all the Bible, and then the older people in our community, in our churches.
Speaker 4: If you talk to any older person, God first, God first, called first.
Speaker 10: But as young people because of the generation that we live, and we tend not to hear that that God first, because that's the only way it's going to be like God.
Speaker 4: It's not at the forefront.
Speaker 10: Is if your husband's not leading your partners, not partner your husband, If your husband's not leading with God first, then it's going to fall apart. And if you talk to the old the married couples in the churches, they always say they put God first, do you know what I mean? And then everything else comes after that. Sorry, I just wanted to know, no question.
Speaker 6: Went to Geraldine.
Speaker 3: I think, but I don't know if Geraldine used to wanting to chime.
Speaker 6: In, and then I think there was.
Speaker 4: A mother first, and then I'll come and.
Speaker 1: Come up with.
Speaker 11: Well, a lot of men said that I do agree and support. The only thing I probably would want to chime in there is probably because I'm a teachers. Marriage is an institution, This says, the institution that you don't graduate from.
Speaker 6: And I know they.
Speaker 11: Said it is probably Miss Elton and yourself could verify whether, yes, more divorces are really marrying. And we want to know why. Is it because of technology? Is it because we have more people writing books?
Speaker 12: Is it because knowledge has increased?
Speaker 11: Is it because the church is more impacting? The church recognize that they have been feelings, so they are now coming up to scratch now and educating the populace the membership about maintaining and strengthening relationships.
Speaker 12: These are some of the realities.
Speaker 11: But as a teacher, we fail because of ignorance, you know, we perish for the lack of my people perish for the lack of knowledge. And yes, we are in the information age or the fingertips we have, you know, just a punch and stuff and we're getting information.
Speaker 12: But I'm also and I'm.
Speaker 11: Also saying, as Buttan was suggesting the skills.
Speaker 12: You know, we need skills for success.
Speaker 11: And as I said, yes, we could get these skills either from the example, the pages of people lives or the pages that people write, the pages of people lives or the pages of people that people write, but information education. Because I want to be, for example, I want to be the best teacher, the best lawyer, the best doctor, I have to.
Speaker 4: Go through a scheme. I have to go through one, two, three, four.
Speaker 11: Sometimes six seven years before I could be a specialist, before before I could consider myself a success.
Speaker 12: But but but.
Speaker 11: But where's the university for or where's the school or the class for a successful marriage?
Speaker 4: Where's it?
Speaker 11: We have books, yes, but where's the course, where's the class? Where's the degree offered?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Well that Hilton, did you or Jaldine? You're jumping in? Okay, go on, Okay.
Speaker 8: So I just wanted to add a few things the practice. I'm going to come back on the back of Pedro. Actually, and Hilton said a few things before. You know, as Christians, our principles are based on the Word of God. Categorically, whether we like to read the Word every day, whether we like to pray every day, whether we like to praise God every day or not, it's based in God's word.
Speaker 4: It's just simple.
Speaker 8: So one of the practical guidances that Jesus has given us is to love your neighbor as yourself. If you learn to be kind and compassionate to others who do not know you, who are not of your own kind i e. Christianity or culture, then you will be able to display that in your marriage. It's as simple as that. Now people always talk about roles and responsibilities.
Speaker 4: Practical guidance is given in God's word.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 8: We have books from Egui. I was reading books at the age of sixteen seventeen, you know. Messages to young people was the first direct second was my sister gave me a book.
Speaker 4: It was onbecoming a woman. Right. There are other books that I have read irrespective of that.
Speaker 8: But I have to say, remember these books, and I'm not knocking any book at all, but these books are written on the basis of somebody's experience.
Speaker 4: It is not yours.
Speaker 8: Nobody said that there would be pages and pages of pages.
Speaker 4: Of how we will get on in marriage. Nobody said that. Jesus never said that right.
Speaker 8: He gave us biblical principles for the concepts and the purposes and the premises of marriage. But nobody told us that there would be a book written, So I'm not too sure why we're expecting it. What we do know is that we have to base our marriage or our relationship with God based upon his word.
Speaker 4: Jesus teaches us all things. The Holy Spirit leads us into all truth.
Speaker 8: And while some people may feel, well that's easy to see, but he really does. If your dependency really is on Christ, the solid rock, then he will teach you, he says, I will teach you and lead you into Autroughy, what did you think it was?
Speaker 12: Just as well?
Speaker 8: No, there's practical skills of living a basic a basic life, the principles of given, the principles of love it, the principles of teaching. All of these things are conjured up in God's word. And if we learn to eat the words of God, then we will see it displayed out.
Speaker 4: Within our lives. Yes, we will have hiccups along the way. I wasn't where I.
Speaker 8: Was a year ago or six months ago had changed, especially in the relationship that I have with Earth. We've both changed. We have seeing the change. We talk about it practically, we pray about it. Essentially, we ask God to help us to improve individually and collectively together so that we are always continuing that process.
Speaker 4: And that journey. So I would always.
Speaker 8: Say that the humility, the generosity, the faithfulness, the love of the neighbor, the forgiveness, he honesty, the integrity, all of these things display.
Speaker 4: And conjure up one's character.
Speaker 8: How you love your neighbor, love God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself. If you learn to love your neighbor, you get the practicality of how your relationship would be one with another. Because if you love a stranger, you if you love a stranger, you definitely will be able to have that teachable, teachable spirit. God always speaks to me about having a teachable spirit. He always talks about learning to live the character of Jesus in your life so it can be displayed in others. And I think if we learn some of these practical stages, take time out, get to know Jesus, get to know what His will is for you in your life.
Speaker 4: You know, get to know the providence of his life for you. Don't be fearful.
Speaker 8: Ask God to teach you how to walk in his statues and to walk in His way. Wait, so that those biblical principles coupled with the practical experience that He teaches us every.
Speaker 4: Day, Well, this will be displayed in the Christian's life. M Oh yeah, I didn't want to preach.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, loving that and missy scribbling, missy scribbling, Hilton, is this point your point? You're going to make a related direct to that? Or because I take a music break and then maybe come back, So.
Speaker 2: I think we break hidden.
Speaker 7: Cool cool cool, Okay, Well, one of the key things that I've just taken from that is really ultimately our starting point has to be God first. So I'm going to play one of our favorites and probably the world's favorite as well, The Goodness of God by C. C.
Speaker 1: Winans.
Speaker 7: It's a fantastic song, fantastic song, and one of the key things that I really love about this song is where it's saying that you know, God is running after us, and I think sometimes we almost want to be I wo don't want to say I want to be caught by God to be able to say, actually, I can walk with him. He can take my hands and guide me through. Just what you've been saying there as well. So let's hear from c C. Goodness of God.
Speaker 21: Lord, for your merging never fails me.
Speaker 14: Oh, my DearS, I've been helding your head.
Speaker 6: From the moment that I wait.
Speaker 1: Until I live my head.
Speaker 4: Oh, I will see.
Speaker 12: Of the goodness of God, because.
Speaker 21: All my life you have been faith, a normal life.
Speaker 4: You have been so so.
Speaker 21: With every breath that I am laidble.
Speaker 3: Oh, why you will see of the goodness of God.
Speaker 4: I love your boys.
Speaker 21: You have led me through the fire.
Speaker 1: In the darkest times.
Speaker 6: You are close line.
Speaker 4: No, I'm known you as a fire. I'm known you as a.
Speaker 17: And I have lived in the goodness of God.
Speaker 18: God.
Speaker 4: It's all my life.
Speaker 17: You have been faith.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, nor you have been so so.
Speaker 17: Very man that I am made.
Speaker 7: For See.
Speaker 3: Then your goodness.
Speaker 17: Is Bronni naugh.
Speaker 15: It's pretty enough to me.
Speaker 21: Your gownness is Brownie naw after its body enough to me with my eye lame now my surrender, Now I can't you have the.
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 17: Your godness is Brannie enough, is party.
Speaker 1: Enough to me?
Speaker 17: Jure love money, I am all the miss crying out. It's running out with my life, lame house hiding you have you're the miss riding it's.
Speaker 21: Running No my life. You have been faithful.
Speaker 1: M hmm, nor my life.
Speaker 21: You have been so so with the rebreath that I am madeble. I'm gonna say other somebody say.
Speaker 7: To say, Okay, we're going to sing of the goodness of God. If you've just joined us. Hopefully you haven't just joined us, but if you have, you've missed a great conversation so far.
Speaker 1: You're here on talking point.
Speaker 7: We've been discussing about continue our discussion about relationships, but also how we can practically make our relationships better, help them to work what we can do, and we've had some gems great insight already from our panel this evening. But we'd love to hear from you if you've got any other comments or thoughts as well, So do in progress, so do emailers on studio at Adventist Radio dot London. You can text us at eight triple two eight write hope then your message, or you can send us a WhatsApp message on zero seven four five ninety six four two eight nine eight. So yes did during the conversation, So just before the break, Uh, Geraldine was saying, you know, really and a lot everybody's been saying this in terms of, you know, God needs to be the starting point of this. As we were off their Zenya had a point where she wanted to challenge Geraldine and what she was saying.
Speaker 1: So I said, yeah, over to you to kind of then go over to Geraldine.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: So here we were talking about the Jerlden. You made a point that if you were able to love and be kind and compassionate to a stranger, as we've been called to do, then certainly you are able to do that within the construct of a marriage and a relationship.
Speaker 6: And I just wanted to poke a little bit as I tend to do and ask well, like me, so many.
Speaker 3: Find it difficult more difficult to be compassionate and kind within the construct of a relationship when you've been called to move from individuals with your own individual taste, your own individual opinions, and merge into one.
Speaker 6: That's where you might find the conflict coming. I like my room called he lights it hat do we go under the covers?
Speaker 2: Do we not?
Speaker 3: Do you drag it off me and put it on myself? So you know, the tough will begin that it's not just about the covers. That's a simple explanation, but it can bubble up to any other thing that we have to deal with as a couple.
Speaker 6: So what's your answer to that?
Speaker 3: And I think it maybe has to do with emotional intelligence and some other issues, but some other principles.
Speaker 6: But what would be your rebuff to my question?
Speaker 4: I think one of them would be not taking people for granted. I think with our loved ones, we tend to because we know them, because we know the insights out sometimes of them and what they will do, or we pre end what they do. I think then we end up taking people for granted.
Speaker 8: Appreciation is one whereby you must be able to be willing to be self less, not selfish. Selflessness not selfishness. And I think consciously we tend to.
Speaker 4: Talk to each other in derogatory tones because we know.
Speaker 8: And we're comfortable and where you know, it's it's something that you should already know.
Speaker 4: Or I like my tea heart, you like yours? Called what happened to compromisation? What happened to talk into one another?
Speaker 8: Cas and I talk very well In actual fact, I must say this gu Darth and I talk for hours on the phone, talking, talking, talking, But in the talking we make sure that we emphasize on the positive qualities, try to bring them out from one another. You we are not the same as everybody, each person. God has made us unique. But we have to learn to compromise, to be patient within the presence of another that we love, to be appreciative of some of the things that we don't like. But yet still we are able to toll them. We are able to give an ear, we are able to listen. That's primarily because we want to be able to have a happy relationship.
Speaker 4: We want it sanctified by God.
Speaker 8: We want it where angels like to hear or sing or celebrate, because two people have joined together as one and God has unified them together.
Speaker 4: But patience is important. Patients long sufferingness.
Speaker 8: We talk about long sufferingness in Galatians are going to bring out the fruit of the spirit again because most of us are not long suffering.
Speaker 4: But yet still the Bible inhibits us.
Speaker 8: All or guides us to have these nine characteristics as art of our temperament.
Speaker 4: Now, if Arthur and I aren't able to come to some.
Speaker 8: Agreement, we either say and God can come in here, we either say we talk about it a little bit more and then we say, well, let's come back to another time of how we can talk about this in more detail, because of course, sometimes conversations may get heated and one may feel inhibited because of what the other.
Speaker 4: One has said. But humility is very important in a marit or relationship.
Speaker 8: Just because you are in the right, or you may think you're in the right, doesn't mean to say that you cannot be humble in the presence of another. And so when we talk about being stable in a relationship or grappling on the foundations of not taking each other for granted, here we're talking about being able to become more patient. Am I patient with the other person that I am with? Or because I'm with that person every day? Am I taking them for granted? Or am I You have to start questioning yourself and trying to improve on areas by reflecting on what has transpired, because oftentimes we always look to the other person.
Speaker 4: Adam blamed Eve and so it went on down the ages, and we're still blaming one another.
Speaker 8: But how about taking responsibility for yourself? How about saying, Lord, what is it that I need?
Speaker 4: To improve. How can I improve?
Speaker 8: Please show me in your world, or please teach me via somebody else. I'll share this quickly now, my friends. When I was younger, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen or seven eight nine years older than me, because I wanted to learn what it is that I can do, I used to go to older people to ask them for wisdom and understanding in their own relationships.
Speaker 4: Has it had any bearing on my life today?
Speaker 8: Yes it has.
Speaker 4: Do I have experiences in the relationship that I'm in with Buffy?
Speaker 1: Yes I do.
Speaker 8: Do I go back to God and ask, how can I speak a little bit better? How can I have this teachable spirit? How can I have a better listening understanding? And I'm saying this today, Let's try not to take each other for granted. If we if we spend more time encouraging one another and being able to build each other up, there'll be.
Speaker 4: Less criticism, They'll be less hurt.
Speaker 8: There'll be more patience, more understanding, more resilience. So that we complete one another, We are strengthened by one another. We uphold one another so that both of us can walk together. That's my favorite, one of my favorite scriptures.
Speaker 4: Amus three to three.
Speaker 8: Can it's a question, can to walk together except they be agreed they have do you have to come to an agreement, a compromisation along the line somewhere and say, well, you know what for I think the other day I said to God, you know, we were talking about something, and I felt that, you know, the way of the of how the conversation went, moved more and inclined to his his desire to see it happen, and I had to sit back to myself and I had to honestly, you could ask him here. I had to say to myself, you know what, let's not just you know, disagree on this point. Let's pray and let's just move on. And that's how we did it practically, because I don't like fester in neither of this God in relationships, and I see a lot of relationships where we both are involved in there's a lot of lack of understanding or patient for one another. And I think when we are Christians, especially Adventists, we tend to we know the word be constructed by the Word, but we don't necessarily practically live out the word as it is. And we have to get to the stage whereby we we compromise in the sense so that it strengthens are better well beaten it. It strengthens our emotional intelligence, It strengthens our spiritual oneness with each other, immunity with christ.
Speaker 2: I went again.
Speaker 1: But I love that.
Speaker 7: But it's interesting that you said the last bit there about actually we know the word, and that's I suppose in some ways, you know we've all been talking. There is something in the back of my mind that's saying, yeah, that's all well and good in theory, but it is a practical things.
Speaker 1: What does that really look like?
Speaker 7: And actually, as you said, sometimes we don't necessarily practically live out the word. You know, I know and I can speak it, but sometimes actions be way lader than words, and actions are probably going to make a big difference.
Speaker 1: So that's yes, A really that's a really interesting point. Necessarily thought of it in that way, I'm Hillton.
Speaker 2: Can I get your permission to talk to those things? And you could give me three minutes so I could be on point. First of all, I must say that Geraldine and God, they are the epitome of what everything that we're talking about, even we're training, so they can live that kind of life. It's very easy for you know, the psychologists and the therapists and the counselor and the teacher to have that kind of relating and relationship because they are skilled in that. For us lesser mortals and those of us who have to grapple without that kind of high headed training and skill, I want to say, Zenyah that that marriage is actually a school, and I think it's the crucible that God ordains for us to pass through in order to develop the qualities and training that is required for us to become better Christians. So yes, I agree with you. It is a lot more challenging to extend grace and patience to those that we are closest to, but it is actually demanded of us. But if you really want to become better in anything, take any skill, any whether it's sports or singing, whatever we want to become better in, we have to go through the hard knocks, the grind. If you want to develop muscles, you actually have to train your muscles. If you want to become anything, it's very difficult. And as you go through the grind, if you want to love, if you want patience, then God is going to allow you to come up against circumstances that you have to actually practiced patients. And I think that's more than any other institution in the world, that marriage or a family is that one institution that helps us all to develop the graces of the fruit of the spirit. You know, cristis that you must forgive seven times. I don't know any other place where you have to practice that, particularly marriage. I could tell you so, married person, you don't have to you know, it is a million times you have to forgive in terms of patients. When you have a child crying the head of at two o'clock in the night, when you have to get up to go to work. Angela, you're spared of that. I don't know anything you have children, But when you need to try to calm a child, or you have a teenager in your house who's talking back to you, I could tell you from the Caribbean, your smoke is coming out to your nose and your age, and God is requiring of you to be patient and to be loving. And I think to respond to your question, yes, it is much more challenging to deal with. You know, It's all right to be kind to the stranger out there, give money to the person on the street to you know, be loving and tender hearted to someone that you live there and you come back home. But your own family, God is requiring us to develop those skills, and Lanhy says, it's nicely that your family, the home is the first missionary field, so you know that aside, can I speak quickly on the form of things that we were speaking about in terms of practically how do we go about preparing ourselves? So we have said a lot. One of the simple exercises I get people who come to me it is simply to think about the type of family or home that they want to have, to projecting the future, what type of home, what type of family, What type of environment would you like to have? And when you project, you know, think about the details of it. Think about what kind of atmosphere you would want you in your home, think about how you would want to treat your children. And sometimes I e can't give them the exercise of think thinking about a day in the life of their family and maybe a Sunday morning or Sabbath morning. What's going to happen from the first thing, there's wake up, go through the details. Who's going to get the children up, who's going to have prayer. Who is going to prepare breakfast? For kind of breakfast? I just sorry, help them to chart the type to the home that they want to have, and then we reverse engineer that what type of person do you need to be.
Speaker 17: To have that?
Speaker 2: And what type of spouse do you need to create that? And I'll just leand and end with this by saying that marriage don't you don't really fall into marriage. You don't walk into marriage. You don't stumbling, you know, stumbling to love. Love is actually a creation, or more better yet a core creation you created. And yes, there are lots of places that we are informed about love. And if you talk to the teacher God, you know, many teachers they teach didactically. They stand up in front and just give knowledge out. But human beings learn more through what we call osmosis. We learn through being exposed to and many of us in our family of origin are exposed to this what we call dysfunctionality. Many of us grow up in dysfunctional environment. I think it was Petro was saying that he came from a single parent home, whereas his wife was from a two parent home, and the template that they had when they came together clashed because the expectation was different, but yet they were able to navigate that. And I think the last thing I would like to say is that you need to be able to have two things. You need to have to be able to have what it be called binocular vision, and you need to be able to use what is called attunement. You need to attune to the other person. I think mothers are very good at this because they're attuned to the child even if the child is when the child is crying, child can't talk, but mothers have this intuitive thing as trying to sense what is actually going on within that child. And I think we need to bring that to our adult relationship and look beyond the presenting behavior. Maybe I should do right here.
Speaker 7: As you were speaking there, I was just thinking, thank you for that, Hilton. I'm just kind of come to Zena and Shade as both of you fairly newly married in the sense of a couple of years. And I guess Shadow want to come to you because you've when you introduced yourself, you were saying that you'll be mad for a couple of years, and actually it's been going really well. So some of the things that have come up has some of that resonated with you as things that you've done or is there anything that you think, Actually, this is what's happened in our say, our your yours and your husband's relationship that has helped to create a successful word. As you said, you know, it's been take you use the word easy or is it that you asked the question is it really that easy kind of thing? But some of the things that have been shared, has that resonated with you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of it resonated with me. I think more from a.
Speaker 10: What's going to be further along the road in terms of like what is to come, like a lot of advice and a lot of like points that I can take and be like, okay when this arises then because I'm like Geraldine says, her and her husband pray and they're like, we'll deal with it.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about this later. And it's something that me and my husband does.
Speaker 10: Like even when we have a little disagreement, because we don't have massive arguments like I would have would have had it in the past. More because I now understand my role because I'm very strong minded, very very vocal.
Speaker 4: You know, he is not quite so vocal, but he's quite strong, but not so vocal.
Speaker 10: So me understanding my role that has minimized the way we interact on a conflict level doesn't make sense. But sometimes we're upset with each other, I'm just like, I'm not going to talk, and he'll be like, right, that's it. We're praying, come, let's go so and I'm just like, oh God, I'm just like, okay, let's I'm not going to say I'm not going to pray. So we're praying, and you will start talking to God and you like, Lord, please help me and my wife to understand each other, Please give us grace. And I'm just like, he's talking to me when he's talking to God. And after someone prays with you like that, you're just like, Okay, how do I then stay angry? How do I allow the devil to keep this anger here instead of us talking about it?
Speaker 4: And what I mean, like, it's easy.
Speaker 10: I mean a lot of all my other relationships, well it's not that many, but my my my previous relationships, I always found.
Speaker 4: That because I didn't really know.
Speaker 10: Who the other person was, we had a lot of uncomfortable silences. So it was when I started to understand what I wanted because I feel like what my last relationship before I got married, I felt like I was going down a rabbit hole of trying to be what the other person wanted me to be in opposed to what God designed me to be and who I needed to be in my relationship. I found that in retrospect, I was losing myself a little because I was always compromising on what they wanted to do and it wasn't very good. So now I'm like when I was when I came out of that relationship.
Speaker 4: Then I was like, what does God want me to be?
Speaker 10: That was my first question to myself because I was just like, I don't understand why I'm doing it. I don't understand I keep choosing situations that I'm not healthy, that I'm not good, that mentally have been in a bad place.
Speaker 4: So what does God want?
Speaker 1: What do I need to be?
Speaker 4: I spoke to some of my older mother.
Speaker 10: Figures and they gave me a lot of good advice to be like, figure out what God has purposed for you. And when I spoke about understanding my role, I then started to understand, Okay, this is who I'm meant to be in my relationship and then I when I was having conversations with me, but I threw the hard questions out because I was just like, okay, but what do you think about marriage?
Speaker 4: How are we gonna? I'm gonna pray with the children? Are we gonna?
Speaker 10: So like we had to have these hard comms stations at the beginning. So when I'm like, it's easy, it's easy in the in the sense that because I knew why I wanted and where I was going myself, then I picked the right person, if.
Speaker 6: That makes sense.
Speaker 10: So now we have the silences where like we're together in a room and we don't have to talk, or we don't have to fill it with a date, or we don't have to fill it with something to do, you know, because we're comfortable.
Speaker 4: In this space, you know where my other relationships were hard because I'm just like, Okay, we haven't talked in ten minutes. I need to say something, do you know what I mean? If that makes sense. So and we understand we've been friends for a long time.
Speaker 10: It's weird because again, friendship is very important in your relationship because the honeymoon greer is going to die off eventually and then you're going to have to communicate, not with the butterflies and stuff, but as two individuals trying to come together. So having very similar likes and we're very opposite. I'm very if you meet us in like, I don't know if you notice aatistics where he's very.
Speaker 4: Quite doesn't really where I'm just like, yeah, so, but I had.
Speaker 10: To understand that even in silence, he's saying a lot and I had to understand that, you know what I mean. So I'm like, when we have conflict, I'm like, we need to talk about this, and he's like, I need just he needs to go over it in his head and when he.
Speaker 4: Comes back, he comes up with very profound solutions.
Speaker 10: But I'm just like that I needed hearing our where He's like, so, I guess it's compassion, it's understanding each other. It's and that's why I say it's easy because I'm in this new I'm in this marriage understanding my role and understanding how to communicate instead of just being what the other person wanted you to be, because that makes sense. But I understand what God like, I understand the descience for marriage. I understand if there is conflict, if there is an issue, what is my role, you know what am I? And again understanding your role and how it's going to work in the twenty first century, and I think a lot of young people don't. The society doesn't allow us to understand the roles. It gives us a template of what we're supposed to be and what we're supposed to look like. And God has given that to us already. And the only way you're going to know if you read the Bible, if you read the literature, if you have conversations with Christian couples that have been in situations, and they will tell you to go and progress. When people talk to me that, I'll be like, girl, you need to read the Bible. You need to go and find out what God wants you to be, what God has designed for you to be in your relationship. And that's the only way it's going to be. I have my niece, she's nineteen, she's living with us. She's now in a space where when she's in college, a lot of her peers have boyfriends. She doesn't have a boyfriend, but she's in the space of thinking, Okay, eventually, Auntie, how do I then navigate this. I'm having to understand what I'm supposed to do to then be able to give her. My mom never gave me that advice, so I had to find this all out on my own talking to older people as well. So when I say it's easy, I mean it's easy only because I know understand what I am supposed to do, what I want to meet, and what I'm supposed to be for him, and he understands what he's supposed to.
Speaker 4: Be for me as well. So that's what I'm meant by it's easy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think it it's key what you're saying there as well, because we talked a little bit about how we started by talking about how we work on ourselves, and I think it is that balance between you know, your own personal development and your own growth, and then that impacting the way in which you are having your relationships and how you go back. And as you said, you've taken guidance and advice from other people, those older mothers of older fathers as well, maybe you know, to actually guide you, which is definitely sorry.
Speaker 10: Can I also say something as well, I'm so sorry what I did want to say when I talk to the older people in our community, the people that commented the saloon, the people at church, people that are me, just all the folks that I'm married for for fifty years. Whatever they do advise me. And I started reading the Bible. It's right in there, so that's what I mean, like it's there. But my generation, the younger generation, is just like, we.
Speaker 12: Don't want to read.
Speaker 10: I listened to a lot of podcasts. I listen to a lot of books and stuff, but you have to read it for yourself. But it doesn't resonate. You should think that this older persons just say that, and that's not really that. It goes, well, we're coming from reject They're coming from a generation where they read the Bible and they have the old school template.
Speaker 4: But it's still the present day template.
Speaker 10: It's just we have to figure out how it works for us in this generation because every single piece of advice I've gone, I've read it in the Bible at some point. Do you understand because it is there. God has given us the template. We go back to creation, We go back to dunderneath what was the world.
Speaker 4: Adam had his purpose.
Speaker 10: You can't be with a man who doesn't know his purpose. Then you're now acting in your masculine energy and you're leading, and he's uncomfortable, and there's a lot of conflict because.
Speaker 4: No one knows what they're doing.
Speaker 10: So it's about us as individuals going back and having a partner that is happy to walk with you. And we might be on different levels when it comes to or spiritual growth and or relationship with God, but we're both walking along the same path. And it's about us going back because right now we're reading the Adventuge of great book.
Speaker 4: I read it a couple of years ago, but I read it.
Speaker 2: With like.
Speaker 10: Blinkers on my eyes, if that makes sense. Now I'm reading it with a different mindset. I'm in the marriage, so I'm trying to understand it a bit better, and this book has a lot of insight into you know. But she's again, it's biblical principle, so once you go back to the Bible, she's just making it very practical and even in today, the twenty first century, it's applicable. We can put that into as young people. It tells you how to date, how to then be your role and make your husband understand your role because he's listening and he understands what he should be looking for, and you understand what you do you get one trying to say so, it's about personal government, definitely, and about communicating.
Speaker 4: What you want.
Speaker 10: But if you don't know what you want, then you can't communicate that and you end up and then you end up in somewhere that you're being pulled further away from.
Speaker 4: God like I was, and you lose yourself as well.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 11: I just want to add, I just want to add another reality in terms of counseling, in terms of getting help. While yes, there is a great responsibility for us as individuals to develop to know or purpose, have a goal and so on, we're not perfect and sometimes we may hit a ditch, we may something might hit us, and we have to also train our minds to accept help, to accept that hey, I cannot do it by myself.
Speaker 12: And I'm not talking about help from our a.
Speaker 11: Friend or the friend or the wife or husband, but I'm talking about special specialized persons, counselors.
Speaker 12: Sometimes our bodies is linked with the mind. The physical is linked with.
Speaker 11: The mind, and sometimes we have to actually take not just food which will have nutrients to stimulate certain parts of the body and the mind to behave a particular way. But sometimes an emergency, like we have to go and do an emergency operation. We may have to take a tablet, we may have to take an injection and then you know.
Speaker 12: To straight mess up and then to be schooled or trained or retrained by a professional.
Speaker 2: Coaches, etc.
Speaker 11: So it is important for us to know that sometimes we have to take our cut the right mechanic or the riety lecture sham or the right person to give us the heir that we may not even realize we need.
Speaker 1: Okay, love that love that I think, sorry, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 6: No, I heard what you're saying. And in terms of me being in a very.
Speaker 3: Young marriage, I felt very protective of it like that I'm still trying to figure out.
Speaker 6: What it is, what it means, how we're going to get through this.
Speaker 3: And what I find is that there's a lot of noise out there, there's a lot of information, there's a lot of detail. So my advice would be even to start with prayer and making sure that your spirit led, because I would say to say, you know what, Yes, our elders know what our elders have are working off their own traumas, their own experiences. So you may go to the wrong person, Yes, nelder may be an elder, but still not wise or not the person that should be speaking into your relationship. So I feel like it's an easy thing to say, and I say it often, but we need to be spirit led.
Speaker 6: We need to know where we are going for the information.
Speaker 3: What information we're needing to seek, so that we can choose the right people to speak into our lives and the right materials to read, the right.
Speaker 6: Places to go.
Speaker 3: Even in terms of counselors, there are several counselors out there, but which one is for you?
Speaker 6: Which one will be the right choice for you and your partner, your your your husband or why? So that's where I am. I think that.
Speaker 3: Jolden you said it. You said it best in terms of amos. Lest we agree, we're not going anywhere.
Speaker 6: So that's that's first and foremost. And love is a fantastic word for Hilton.
Speaker 3: You you hinted to it, you said it's it's just a word unless we we make practical unless we seek to do things that will enhance the relationship. That's what I'm finding most about marriage. Yes, I love him, WHOA Yeah, we love each other. I made a decision to.
Speaker 6: Go down the aisle with him.
Speaker 3: But here comes the work, Here comes the effort, Here comes the things that we need to do practically, And.
Speaker 6: Yes, I know it, but can we do it? Can we set aside that night for date night? It's hard to do.
Speaker 3: We've been pulled in several directions. Do I set aside that time for counseling?
Speaker 6: It's hard to do. Where do we find the finances?
Speaker 3: It's all that stuff that we know. Yes, it's good to do, but do we really do it? Can we find the time to do it? And how we agreed that this is what we need to do?
Speaker 6: And I think for me, prayer is probably the easiest, the best way to start.
Speaker 3: You don't need any finances, Thank God, we don't need anything to fall on our knees.
Speaker 6: And approach Him in prayer. We don't need any money, We don't need, you know, So we just go go.
Speaker 3: We can go together. I love what Saturday says. You know, I think that's a bit of a cheat. But he pulls her aside in the middle of the argument.
Speaker 6: And what a way to diffuse it. Let's pray and let's just get closer to God. With God in it. How can you be arguing? How can you be upset and Hilton. You mentioned three.
Speaker 3: Essays and I thought you were going to mention a fourth, but I'll leave it there in terms of what's involved in marriage, because these are all things that you've.
Speaker 6: Got to work on. You've got to.
Speaker 3: It's work, and I think Prento said it best. Yeah, it's work. It's forget the magic and all the stuff you see on TikTok and all that kind of business. And that's something we need to say as well. We're coming back next week and we're going to be speaking to our young people. Said, hey, maybe you want to come back on the show if you're available, but we're going to be speaking to the young people and finding out if they see it how we've seen it, gen X and all that, because has that role changed? Is there such a thing and I'm throwing it out as seven or three, but is there such a thing as the proverb of thirty one man?
Speaker 6: M Yeah, exactly, So they're there, I mean perhaps not Biblically. Are the roles changing in terms of who and what and what are we doing together?
Speaker 3: And is the man still needing to lead or the women now leading because of the absence of strong men our Oh dear colleagues, come on, and I think that's where the conversation went last time.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, what has changed? What do our young people see is different?
Speaker 3: And where do we find the environment that we can foster these things that we need to do, the skills that we need to have, and maybe.
Speaker 6: The church is a place to start.
Speaker 3: The conversations need to be had, and thankfully that's what talking point is about, having the conversations that we don't necessarily have on a Sabbath afternoon or a Sabbath morning, where our young people can learn or anybody to understand dynamics of a relationship and making us stronger. As a mouthful, but I think that's my final word for the evening.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 12: As he's about to leave, he said, you want to share before.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, certainly you're saying you were about to leave us. There any final words of wisdom that you'd like to leave us with actually.
Speaker 2: Going to click the leief button. I just couldn't thinking. I think the one thing that comes to my mind, along with the fact that God should be the central part of our relationship, I think what is most important is to recognize that how we treat each other is significant. It is not necessarily how beautiful you are, how much money you have, how much resources and assets that you have. Ultimately, what people feel and respond to is how you treat them, and if you treat them with love and esteem, and if you honor them, if you make them matter to you, if you put them before you, as Paul says that we must, you know, put the other if you treat them, you know, like Christ who said that, you know, he didn't think it was robbery to be equal with God, and he came as a servant. When you treat people like that, they would want to be with you. However, when you delegrade, when you degrade, when you criticize, when you condemn and have contempt for people. For the majority of the time, this will come in off and on. But if this happens for a long period of time, you will find that the other person will not want to be with you. They would want to separate themselves from the pain and the agony of being in your presence when you make them less than they should be because they're the child of God and they have the image of God. So let's just focus on If you focus on how you can contribute to elevate this person. I think that would augment well for a high performance, rock solid, divorce proof marriage. That's my final input. Cool, thank you, thank you, Bye, everybody.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 7: Okay, And as he said that, I was kind of what I kind of wanted to know is well, I guess we're coming to the end of our show we've had and I'm saying the end.
Speaker 1: This is never the end. We've got Part two, Part three. I'm sure we.
Speaker 7: Could do on this one because there's a lot of that's been coming out, but I guess, And instead you were still talking there and Charlie was saying, in terms of you know, getting advice and inform, there is a lot of things out there, so I'm curious to know and we can chime in here what's kind of the best advice that you've been given and how has that been helpful in your relationships? And I guess also we've talked about some really practical things that we can do. Are there any other key practical steps you can take, things that you can do. There's been some really good keywords come through, you know, starting with God at the center. Prayer needs to be spirit led, you know, the kind of qualities that we need to be showing, I guess, demonstrating ourselves being ourselves selfless, not selfish, you know, kind, compassionate. So but I'm curious to know, you know, you know, we want to learn from other people. We want to learn from the books that we read and what have you. But what advice have you been given that's been really key and it has been helpful? And are there any other steps that we can take as well? As we're coming to our final thoughts? And God, go ahead, all right?
Speaker 11: I think all what you have said, what we have said, you know, we just after remember and.
Speaker 2: Are prior in our daily life.
Speaker 11: How can we make and how can we as individuals make a contribution to healthy relationship by being Christian what we know Christian? Or to be as was said in our daily life a long time? You know, Adventists used to be the people of the book, people of talk, people of the work, all right, so that when you see an Adventist coming down, you could tell, hey, that person looks like an Adventist because of their walk and talk and their mannerisms.
Speaker 5: You know, we as.
Speaker 11: People of influence, we need to remember that when we leave home after devotion. After time with God and the family, you also have time with the people that you meet so that yes.
Speaker 12: They are cultious.
Speaker 11: Like I've been to UK and I came with my adventist smile and my Adventist high and my blessings and the people either not a custom or they just don't business, they don't care. Right, it happens, but there would be someone, There would be some body in.
Speaker 12: Your walk during a day or the day that you would have just.
Speaker 11: Continued to keep that spirit and they would have either esteem or they would have either.
Speaker 12: Met that spirit to influence them.
Speaker 11: Into having a healthy relationship because they saw something in me, they saw something in you.
Speaker 12: And I think if with this time.
Speaker 11: Type of relationship that we are having online now and we are re establishing certain values and we are start establishing certain practices, I can tell that our future would be a better one socially, spiritually and in terms of building healthy relationships.
Speaker 4: So we just have to keep practicing it every day.
Speaker 11: For example, we know for a fact every day we're supposed to half time with God, half time.
Speaker 1: With the Spirit.
Speaker 11: And if we don't do that, we if we've been practicing it and we don't do it, we feel a how you know something is missing.
Speaker 2: I miss something today.
Speaker 12: I'm missing today, you know, I miss that thought, that blessing today.
Speaker 11: And I think, you know, in my experience with Geraldine, you know, we've both came together there with that ministry as it would she had her own ministry, I had my ministry. We came together and we tie them up as it would budge them together, you know, so that God could use them and use us, you know, for his glory and his honor, so that we just continue to team up as we have this what we call it the web.
Speaker 2: We just have to web up.
Speaker 11: Across disease, across the states with one another, touching base with one another to help one another, and individually we will definitely be developing healthy relationships.
Speaker 1: So thank you for that. Okay, any other thoughts, any advice, Shannon.
Speaker 9: Yes, when we grow into a really as we grow a relationship, you need to nurture it and so on. But as the years pilon, oftentimes we get complacent.
Speaker 6: And weary of investing and and even distracted.
Speaker 9: You may see someone else or someone else.
Speaker 4: Is you know, pining after you.
Speaker 9: But is to keep the priority in focus what is important to you and what you're investing in so that those blessings that.
Speaker 6: That God as.
Speaker 9: That will come to you and that will keep coming as a result.
Speaker 4: Of doing the right thing. The other thing is to keep dreaming.
Speaker 9: Or not just yourself, but for the other special person. Include them in your life, in the mission, in whatever you're working at, because if you're going to have a help meet, then they need to be helping you to be doing stuff. You know, you're working towards something together, You're doing life together.
Speaker 6: So keep having those dreams or.
Speaker 9: Those missions being by including them in those for example, you're building a house, for example, let them know what you know, what you're doing so that they can support you in that, not be selfish, you know, and ask the right questions how does this make you feel? Or reflecting on what has happened. If you've had a quarrel, you talk about it. Maybe it's not right. How when it's heated, But after a couple of hours, you guys come together, Okay.
Speaker 6: We need to talk what happen here? How can I do this better?
Speaker 4: Or could you do this better?
Speaker 6: It caused me to do this? I don't know what's wrong?
Speaker 18: You know?
Speaker 6: So and as we apply, as we uh.
Speaker 9: The play Bible, apply Bible, then it will become like their cold nature.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, Lovely.
Speaker 4: Had something.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, practically three things I would say, and I think they've been said already in a roundabout way and in a direct way.
Speaker 4: At Christ centeredness, you must have that relationship with God.
Speaker 8: If you connect ventrically, then you can collect connect horizontally commitment and communication.
Speaker 1: But how do I do these things?
Speaker 4: Charlat and her husband gave a good practical.
Speaker 8: Advice on the platform this evening, and they are actually reading the adventures for reading and discussing is one of the beautiful ways that you can understand yourself and your spouse as well as being able to apply those principles in practice.
Speaker 4: And I think when you share it, when you're sharing.
Speaker 8: Together, it allows you to open up a little bit more of an understanding of what one another likes, how each other can grow, and how you can improve. But two things that come to mind are intentionality and being purposeful in your desire to grow together as a couple. Data and I are not married yet. We are marrying in the summer by the grace of God. So we solicit your prayers. But one of the things I will say is our human tendency is to be selfish. And I think, as the Bible says, we are born in sin and shape and in iniquity. So when we do have slight difference or when we're struggling in a relationship, it's always good to even though sometimes you may not be able, to try and have a positive mindset and embrace the change, because with every change comes challenges. Yes, but those challenges can always be worked and improved upon. And these are some practical steps that we can give. I remember Zenya was saying, she can't you know who has money for counseling?
Speaker 4: Well, if you ask, you might get a free right.
Speaker 12: But and I.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 8: Give relationship counseling, and we've been doing so for many years, in fact, separately and collectively together now. And I'm not the person who will say just give me your money. No, no, no, because I counsel every day people ring. I counsel every day, and so if people need counseling, we are free to give. You know, freely have received the word of process, freely give. And I think the last thing I will say is.
Speaker 4: I believe in. We believe in.
Speaker 8: Should I say because we often talk about it husband and wife ministry, and if you're struggling in your marriage or your relationship, it may be that there is a loose connection somewhere where you just need to find what ministry God has for you as a couple, because it really will enhance and improve on the practicality of your relationship. And that's something that we do. We're passionate about it and we will help you find your ministry.
Speaker 1: Okay, call us let.
Speaker 8: Us know or in that respect, but God is love and we are faced with challenges each and every day. One of the things I will say, prayer is powerful in your couple relationship. It is a powerful source. And whatever you feel that God cannot do, he says, I am the possible God. Impossible, you know, He transcends across time and space, which means to me that there's nothing that God cannot do. And that's the encouragement. I want to leave this evening for everybody that's trying and failing or not wanting to go again. God has your pan mapped out for you and He is the impossible God.
Speaker 4: He can do anything. You just have to learn to trust him. Be built on the rock of cheese.
Speaker 5: Can I just pick your bag off for that? Yeah, Petri, Oh real quick, I know we're running out of time. First of all, I want to say when I was talking earlier about like therapists and everything, I'm not saying we don't listen to them. I'm saying we just don't only listen to them like you listen to them and life. You have to combine it. We have a tendency to go one way or the other. That was my first point because I want to clear that up. What Jereddy just said is so true because said it was so true. It's like for like, I'm only talking about experience, like my marriage was in shambles maybe the first ten twelve years of our marriage. It's not until we start doing the podcast and I'm plugging. I'm sorry, but I'm plugging hear my marriage podcast, which we do. But I tell people all the time that we They asked us why did we start, and I tell them that that was our way of healing each other while we was just talking. So we just got on the platform. We just started talking, and what we found was that we was healing ourselves and it made our marriage stronger because we was able to have a safe platform where the issues that we was having we could talk about them, but we couldn't respond the way we wanted to. So what's happening was after the podcast, my wife would look at me and she'd say, so that's how you really felt, or I said that's how you really felt, and then we would have a discussion. So it was it was like helping us to make our marriage stronger and more complete because we was able to understand and get an understanding of each other and where each other was coming from in a point of view. Because sometimes when you're having a discussion with your spouse or with your partner, you don't want to listen, you don't want to hear it. You're just in your own you know, your own space. And I tell people my wife is very emotional and I'm logical. So a lot of times we're having a discussion and she's doing it based on emotion, where I'm trying to do logic and she won't hear me. But when we when we when I talk about it on the podcast, she would actually listen. And then when we get off then she would actually say, Okay, let's have a discussion and I can get my point of course, where she won't you know, cut me off or say oh no, And so I agree with I was just piggybacking on what Jereddine just said because I think that's so true that you know, sometimes you have I guess what I'm saying is like, as a couple, you maybe have to find that medium that you can both that safe space that you can get to where you can have a conversation and park your your problems out and then that way it just helped your marriage to grow.
Speaker 1: Oh love you, thank you.
Speaker 7: Just had We've got collection is just joined the platform, and I know you've had a lot on so collechly, welcome, hope you're doing well. It was just really there, We're just coming to the end of wrapping up the show. But the question that I was really asking was kind of, you know, what's the best piece of advice you may have been given and how has that been helpful in terms of navigating relationships or do you have any tips that you have found we've been given that you found that have been helpful in developing a positive relationship.
Speaker 2: Hi, evening everyone.
Speaker 22: For me, it was from a gentleman years ago and he said to me in your single and he said to me, you need to invest in your relationship bank. And I said, what do you mean by that? He said, if there's a seminar on relationships attended, if there's a book to read, read it and gave as much information with her from those who are married or whatever. Just get as much information as you can. And as I've gotten older, I've realized that it's a beautiful thing because I have read a few books, I have been to seminars, and when situations come up in a relationship, I'm able to go into that two box that I've gathered of information and implemented. And the last two religion. The last relationship I've been in, I was with a young lady and I was talking to her and I realized that she had some issues she hasn't dealt with, and by talking to her because of the things I've been doing, she was able to go and get counseling and moved her forward in whatever she was struggling. So and secondly, my parents said the greatest example from me Hating's siblings, We've never heard my mom.
Speaker 2: And dad argue.
Speaker 22: We've never heard my dad speak to my mam a certain way it's always been, you know, mutual respect between them and the love and what they've shown us is beautiful. So for me, that's how I look at you know, what you would gather together for your own self and anything to do with self improvement. You gotta get on it because you I could be a very stubborn person, and I don't think I'm stubborn. But if two three people telling me that, you know, you're quite stubborn, you need to examine yourself and you know something, you know we keep saying about, oh, pray first.
Speaker 5: A lot of people use that.
Speaker 22: It sounds good, but when you're in the midst of the magnets, there's no prayer.
Speaker 5: You don't want to pray, you know, but but.
Speaker 4: It is the key.
Speaker 2: It is the key. Pray.
Speaker 22: And then I think someone said earlier, it's no good praying and then not acting upon what you've prayed about. Understand, you have to have Hebrews eleven in you. Understand. You have to have that faith, that trust. Even today, someone will saying to me, are you still single? Why are you single? Maybe you're the problem? Are you just to get a little upset with it? But I don't get upset now because I realize that, you know what, everybody's at different stages in life, and everybody's growing differently, and you know as well Sister said about when you're in a relationship and how you know when disagreements come. I was in this particularly.
Speaker 5: I was engaged at one point and.
Speaker 22: The lady, the lady, she was a little argumentative of certain things. And then one day the Holy Spirit said to me, if you know better, do better. So she was wrong about something, but I took it on me as as and I went there and I said, listen, I want to apologize to you. Seems that I've upset to you and it was.
Speaker 1: Not my intention.
Speaker 22: And it was about an hourly and she came to me. She got, oh, no, collect you. I want to apologize. I was wrong, And in that moment I realized that sometimes you just need to take that that that that the humble road and to help the other person, because you know you're with someone it's not that they hate, it's just that something said that they disliked. And it felt like you were attacking. And no one, none of us like when we're attacked. So I think it's just men and women, we all need to just take us stuck, deal with ourselves first. When you're you're better, when you're a good version of you, you will you know, you'll attract that. So that's my short input in the last minute dot com that's wonderful.
Speaker 7: Thank you appreciate that, Thank you very much. Shall go your hand, And I think that's maybe the last the last point.
Speaker 4: And then I just got like some advice quickly in my first a bit of advice.
Speaker 10: Would we always pray, Yeah, but like individually and together as a couple as well. And patience. I had to learn patience. I had to learn if we're having a disagreement and he doesn't want to respond straight away, I have to give him the time and the space to do that because I'm just I want to talk now, and he's like he needs time to process what's going on. So I'll say, patience with everything in your relationship. And also my husband always says something very early on in our relationship because of that strong masculine energy that I had, maybe just happening to survive and stuff.
Speaker 4: He was like, he said to me one time, listen.
Speaker 10: People listen to react, but you have to listen to understand. Do you know so it's not about just thinking that someone's always attacking you, like let you said, and being defensive, but listen and really trying to understand what the other person is saying, because how are we going to know if we're not listening. And it's a human nature to be defensive, it's human nature to want to protect yourself.
Speaker 4: But you have to listen in order to then come back and work through whatever you're going through. So I would say, pray, patience and listen so understand.
Speaker 1: Not to yet deflue.
Speaker 7: And that's a wonderful point to end on. Oh, we've come to the end of our show. We've got a little bit longer because you've got the time and there was just so much to.
Speaker 1: Listen to.
Speaker 7: The insights have been fantastic, So I want to thank everybody who's been on our panel today. Really appreciate your time and definitely you know, your insights into how we can make our relationships better.
Speaker 1: I have been scribbling in my notebook.
Speaker 7: There's been lots of key things here, so I'm going to go away and kind of, you know, unpack a lot of that as well for myself. But ultimately, you know, relationships can be successful. You know, we've heard about you know, and shadow you mentioned earlier, you know, sort of meeting a couple of being mad for something like seventy years. I think that is when you hear those kind of numbers, it's just amazing, you know, And they may have seen so much, gone through so much, and there's so much we can learn from those experiences. But wherever you are in your relationships, it may just be about how you build your friendships and how you maybe are then moving into more romantic relationships and you know, hopefully leading to marriage if that's what you desire, that we can be successful in those But ultimately, as everybody has said, you know, God has to be at the center, it has to be God first, and it's your relationship with Him and the reflection of his love and his grace and his mercy and his kindness that we can share to others and can enable us to have those those amazing relationships that He desires for us. I well, I thank you for joining us talking point. We spoke a lot about God. So if this is something that you may be knew for you that you may be hearing, do get in contact with the studio and we'd love to be able to help you explore what a relationship with God will look like. So you can contact us on studio ad Adventist Radio dot London, or you can send us a text message on eight triple two eight write hope and then your message, or we can send a WhatsApp zero seven four five nine six four two eight nine nine eight. Do get in contact if you want to know more about some of the things we've been talking about, and somebody will get back to you. I want to thank you all for joining us and really appreciate your time and really appreciate the contributions that you've made, and I hope it's been beneficial to you. I want to throw it out there. Would any really love to like to pray for us to clothes?
Speaker 1: Oh? Great pleasure, Thank you? Okay, all right, let's.
Speaker 22: Pray merciful Father in heaven. We just want to thank you, because Father, you're the one that put it in our hearts to have these discussions.
Speaker 2: Father.
Speaker 22: Many times we choose someone who we believe is our life partners and Father, the sad reality is that we chose and we didn't consult to you.
Speaker 4: Father.
Speaker 22: I'm praying for all the information, for all the insight given today, Father, that many will go away.
Speaker 2: Father, even those.
Speaker 22: Who will hear the podcast will go away, and Father be benefited by the information.
Speaker 1: That they receive.
Speaker 22: Father, we recognize that you are a God of love and you intend for us to have beautiful relationships. Father that will be a beacon to the world that they may know that we serve a living God. Father, bless us and keep us and help us to not just to be hearers, but to be doers of what we've heard tonight. Thank you for the hosts, continue to bless, to keep and to watch over her to grant her revelation knowledge. And for each one that partic took tonight. Lord, I'm praying that you move in their hearts and minds that Father, everything that will go over to make themselves a better version of.
Speaker 2: What you would have them to be.
Speaker 22: So help us as we strive daily that hope that glory which is nice in us, the hope of glory will shine through and we will be the better individual as we await your second coming.
Speaker 2: Thank you again for podcast. Bless and guide and keep us. We pray in your mighty name.
Speaker 7: Amen, Amen, Amen, Thank you once again, Thank you everybody for joining us. Next week we'll be continuing this discussion as any did mention earlier. We'll be talking to some younger people and I'd say that in the sense of, you know, we've noticed a lot of differences within our generations, so we'll hopefully have more discussions on how we can develop successful relationships. We'll be bringing some of these tips and actually sort of throwing it out there to sort of see whether this is something that they can get on board with or they would find useful. So but I thank you for joining us. I pray that you will enjoy the rest of your evening and we'll have a good start to your week. Do tune into Advantage Radio London and the rest of the weekend there's more live shows on. But I'm going to leave you today with Jonathan Buttt Reynolds loving me because that's indeed what God does.
Speaker 1: Thank you and good night. It's been talking point and thank you for joining us. Adventist Radio London. Inspiration for the song