Speaker 1: I think out what is shaping up to be a potentially very exciting college basketball game coming up with the Huntsman Center tomorrow night here in Salt Lake City, University of Utah taking on BYU. It is the Holy War on the hard word. Utah is actually a slight favorite at home. Our next guest will be on the call alongside the voice himself, Bill Riley. Great to have Sean Mooney back on the show. Sean, Happy Friday, Man, how.
Speaker 2: We doing, oh Man space, segus, I am so excited you no, really good brother, So Friday afternoon. Who knows that we would have thought it would be this important for both teams two and three coming in an actually conference game, Spence, how good is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: For the first time since twenty twelve the conference tilt and you know, to your point, and I've been talking about this Sean on the show, I think I'll just speak for myself. Prior to the start of the season, you know, Utah basketball schedule comes out and based off of Kevin Young's talent on paper with a top ten pick and Jegor Demon and potentially a first round pick and the cannon Catchings kid, and then a bunch of skilled players that have played for BYU for a while. Kevin's a new coach, but I think it's fair to stay. On paper, this felt like a mismatch to start the season, and we're sitting here the night before and it's essentially a toss up.
Speaker 3: What does that?
Speaker 1: What does that say about what Craig has been able to do to get this thing.
Speaker 3: On the right path for now?
Speaker 1: And is that an indictment of BYU's inability to figure it out so far?
Speaker 2: Man? Yeah, I'm with you. On paper, you're looking at that team and whenever you talk about a kid that's going to be an NBA prospect, right, that's just a different level athlete, and they've arguably got two of them. And I agree with you on paper, they look really good. At the beginning of the year, I would have said the same thing to your point. With what Craig is doing, I think that I always stay, was a really big game for our team in terms of their ability to recognize that they can play physically at a high level. Even though we got beat by thirty one, I've been telling people dispense, we were pretty good, man. We learned something about ourselves in terms of the physicality of the Big twelve, and our first three game spans were tough. Man. Those are great teams that we played. And then you get a couple of wins and all of a sudden things change a little bit. And we're also playing a little longer. If you'll notice Jake Waalen and Keana dz both six ' nine. Craig's done a good job, man. We're adjusting well to what teams are doing defensively. And I mean, you know, Kevin Young, this is his first year as a head coach. I know he's a great coach. I know they've got a lot of talent. But it's hard. It's even I think he would be the first to tell you it's hard to be a head coach.
Speaker 1: So what from your vantage point have you seen over the past couple of games that have led to results and wins that you believe is, you know, just some things that Craig has been able to find. Whether it's rotations, whether it's schematics. They're playing a little quicker. I mean, they're so big and physical, but the pace has been a little bit better.
Speaker 3: Sharing the back basketball really well.
Speaker 1: They're the best team in the conference when it comes to assists to turn over and they're really moving it and they just look a lot better. Is this something you're willing to say, is getting close to a trend that Craig has figured out some lineup changes or some schematic approaches over the past couple of game, Sean, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a couple of things. So it's interesting because at the beginning of the year, Spence, I think he let him just go. They kind of ran more of emotion and what that means is they going to make their decisions based on what the other team was doing. And then there where it felt like you had to kind of scheme things a little more. If anything, I think what we're handling better is the pressure. So in this league, people love to double on ball screens and they love to double the post. TCU just kept doing it, Spence. I don't know why they didn't go out of it. They'll even double the posts off the blot. But we're adjusting well that Typically when you get a double in this league, it's not the first past, but it's the pass after the first pass that creates a mismatch or an advantage. And I think Utah has done a really good job. Both of our bigs. I would say lost and is one of the best passers. Big passers are doing a good job. Ad is doing a good job, as is doing a good job. Jake waile Leen has really been a big insert in the lineup. Not only can he defend, but he's long and he's just kind of a jack of all trades. So I want to say initially that is schematics, but I would say that we're kind of finding our niche in terms of how to play offense against these defenses we're seeing.
Speaker 1: Do you anticipate rotationally the starting five will remain the same and the guys that are getting because he's kind of trimmed the rotation a bit at least over the past couple of games, starting five and you know, three off the bench. Pat Riley always used to say during practices he would run he said, I want my eights. This is prior to the playoffs with the Knicks of the nineties.
Speaker 3: Who are my eight?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And so I'm not saying that it's going to be eight all year, but it appears that he has tightened his rotation. Gosh, Sean, do you think that's going to be the deal? At least for the intro moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, Spence, I do think that probably is the deal. And but what I think people have to recognize and you'll understand this because this is what you do for a living. It's a long season. There are twenty games, and I can tell you just being on the radio side, it's a pretty good flog man. I mean, you know, you are every week on the road. Right now, we've been home on the road, and so it really helps to have ten or eleven. You'll see a lot of teams that have it. But I do think you have to tighten it up. And this in the last game in TCU, Spence, we are starting five. Didn't come out to that first media timeouts. That's unusual, that hasn't been happening. And so I do think that that helps the kids in terms of their flow. And I do think you'll see moving forward this same starting lineup that we've had, and they're big, they're long, and that's going to help us. BYU is also big and long. You've got to Mike Sharp Johnson and a Jaeger Demon playing against each other. Two to six foot nine guards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a lot of length with both those two and I do want to get to demon in a minute and BYU in a minute, but I want to lean into the youths for a couple of more moments here and love it.
Speaker 3: You know, I Drew.
Speaker 1: I'm not a comparison guy because I think it puts unrealistic expectations in the minds of fans. But I was trying to I was trying to kind of figure out exactly who Gabe Mattson is in the realm of how Craig wants to use him. And I'm not saying that he's Reggie Miller. Okay, shot, I'm not saying that he's Reggie Miller. But yeah, I can remember those old you know, Nick heat battles where Reggie would run for miles and miles and miles then you run into a pick. It's either said by Dale Davis, Antonio Davis or Rick Smith's and you know, like and Reggie's wide opening space. And the thing is, it wasn't just that he could kill you with his shot. It was the gravity effect that opened up.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It was Byron Scott for a minute, you know, like he had these teammates and could knock down open shots. And so I think one of the keys for Utah all year long, quite frankly, not just tomorrow, is to get Gabe in space, but not just to shoot it so that gravity effect opens it up for other players and then it's on. Then you get then it's make or miss Sean, then it's maker miss right.
Speaker 3: But how have you.
Speaker 1: Seen Utah utilize Gabe And what do you think he can do with this matchup tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. We know. Burgess is on the other sideline, okay, and Chris Burgess is a very very good coach, and Burgess knows what we're doing, probably better than anyone. But I do think that there are some things that we can specifically do, for example, and we saw it in the TCU game. I agree with you Gabe is he's so important to the team in so many ways. He ends up with sixteen against TCU and he has a horrible shooting night for him. He can't make it to save his life, but he hits those free throws at the end of the game. But he does create a problem wherever he goes, and you're gonna be no help, no cover on him. And it's an in state game where it's even a little higher intensity. Like what no help, no cover means is they're not going to leave him to help off. They won't help off him, they won't cover down. Gabe can be a decoy in essence when he's out there on the floor. And listen, I'm telling you, I think Gay Madison is going to have a big game tomorrow. I just feel it.
Speaker 3: Spence, Now let's define that though.
Speaker 1: It is because because you know that that Kevin is gonna sick like Richie Saunders on him, and you know to use the old Gene Hackman line, tell me what flavored gum is chewing after the game, like BYU is going to do everything they can to eliminate his airspace and make him a willing passer as opposed to an open shooter, because if Gabe gets open, a knocks down shots and it changes everything. So what does a big game look like? You're talking just knocking down shots or just an overall approach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, overall approach for sure. So what everyone is doing with Gabe did not do this as well? He got some wide upen shots against TC was a surprise. But they're gonna make Gabe put it on the floor and then what they're doing with Gabe teams they're doing is his dribble, and they're sitting they kind of know his tendencies, and so what Gabe needs to do is have very good division when he puts it on the rack. And honestly, sometimes Gabe just needs to go finish at the rim because he's looking to pass it, which is great. He's very estublished. But no, I think I think, knowing Gabe a little bit that I know him. I think this is a game where Gabe impacts not only from a scoring standpoint, but impacts it from a passing and creating havoc on the floor with his presence, just like you talked about.
Speaker 3: So you referenced let me pull up his splits here for a moment.
Speaker 1: I just had him up, but you reference Keanu Das as of late, you know, there's a lot to like, And the more and more I watch, you know, I kind of feel like this could be a player that maybe I didn't hone in on enough that I probably should watch more to see what he could mean to this team moving forward. What have you seen as far as his growth? What stands out most to you about how he's improved?
Speaker 2: One He's legit six ' nine. He's legit and a legit athlete, right, so he's that next level kind of athlete. He really nice, which is good and bad. And he had a kind of a string of confidence problems, I would say, And what fans don't know, and you and I have talked about this is when you're in practice, you got to practice well to get playing time. And I think you've seen KD get more playing time and obviously that's feeding him. He does some things really well around the rim, not just getting on top room. He can get on top room. Those dunks he had against TCU were amazing, but he slows down spence and he typically finishes well around the rim. And now we're starting to see because he can also shoot it. He's a good shooter. You're starting to see teams playing him tight and he's getting a nice sweep. He was a guard for most of his career. He's kind of one of those kids that was a guard and now he's six y nine in super athletics. I think he's a key to our team.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, all right, I like it, And like I said, the more and more I've watched, the more and more I like it. But I will simply concede to you because you see all these games before. I get your thoughts on BYU as a guy that's around the team, travels with the team. What what have these back to back wins?
Speaker 3: What? What have they done?
Speaker 1: Because I don't care what level you're playing, man, you could be in junior jazz.
Speaker 3: You lose ten games, like, just can we win one? Please? So back to back wins? What is it done for the group?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean you can just see the confidence with the kids. It really does change things, you know. The first time we've been in the Big twelve. Everyone talks about how good it is, and it is good, but it really helps to know that you can win on the road. We basically led that game from the beginning. There was one tie, and we did everything we needed. Did you win that game? We especially are defending well, so I would say the defense travels and we're gonna need it. You know. BYU offensively has some very very good players. And we'll talk about that in a second. But I think confidence more than anything, and kids believing in themselves.
Speaker 3: Why is my microphone?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: There we go? I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 2: Where'd you go?
Speaker 3: Well? Just a little peak beyond the curtain.
Speaker 1: I am a sports talk radio host with no control over my microphone. It's the dumbest thing, Sean, It's the dumbest thing. But we can move on from it, all right, believe it's just you know what, we'll talk off air and maybe you can help me dance it out because it's pissing me off.
Speaker 3: Let's move on. I like it, but let's move on.
Speaker 1: So over to BYU now, and you know, let's hone in on Diegor Yegor Demon, who apparently is a seven figure NIO kid. I believe Gavoni's latest mock draft has him going seven, so a top seven prospect.
Speaker 3: And look, it's easy to see the measurables.
Speaker 1: It's easy to see the raw skill and in spurts and in moments, and look, he's become he's it's becoming accustomed to playing physical college basketball.
Speaker 3: It's a new game for him.
Speaker 1: It's a different game for him, and I can see why pro scouts like him. But as you know, sometimes college performance means nothing about scouting the pros. Like Kyrie Irving played like six games and everybody knew he was the best player in the class. But what stands out most to you when you watch Diegor Demon Sean.
Speaker 2: I mean more than anything. He wants to pass it. If I'm another athlete and I'm playing with Diagor Denham, dem I'm looking to get a catch all the time. I love that about kids. I think that's the number one thing for me. Obviously his physical skill set, and also you know, obviously he can shoot it. I think the jury's out as to how good he can shoot it on a consistent basis. This is no disrespect to him, but number one is passing.
Speaker 3: So that's uh.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's the NBA ready skill, just his size, his ability to see over defenders and be able to deliver the all to the red people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, And that's exactly why Spence. Everyone has to have an NBA skill. I'm gonna give a little shout out to Brandon Carlson who just had yep, i think, twelve points for Oklahoma City. You know, his NBA skill is shooting. That's what it is, and he's seven feet tall. Good for him. Love that. I think Yegor has got a much higher level. And no disrespect to Brandon, but I think he can have more than one. Obviously, playmaking and NBA is a super high level and at six ' nine that's an unusual playmaker for sure.
Speaker 1: Now, the scary thing about Byu is of the eleven players Kevin plays, I'll say, I'll say nine of them are legitimate three point threats. I'm not gonna say I'll say nine of the eleven rotational pieces Kevin plays can shoot it from three. Obviously k Bucata does not. We had him up here for a while, but he's a big body kid. They can rim roll and they'll dunk on your head if you're not careful. And when they make shot, Sean, they are impossible.
Speaker 3: It's really really tough.
Speaker 1: So rotationally defensively on the perimeter, Utah Basketball needs to do what to show to slow down the shooters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's super simple to talk about. It's hard to do. But in essence, you want a shoot her to dribble, you know, unless they dribble well to a shot, but you want them to dribble. So you want a shoot her to be a driver, and you want a driver to be a shooter. That's the old Rick Majeri's simplicity right there. I do think last year in Mark Pope's system. It facilitated them shooting a little bit better. They were really good in transition. I think they're good in transition. I mean, my take right now is Richie Saunders is probably the key to that team. How we defend him not to disrespect anyone else. And I still I think Downan Hall is a really good I mean, heck, he's coming off the bench, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I understand why Kevin did that, and I talked about it earlier because I honestly believe if we look last game, Dallan played twenty eight minutes, it looks like Jegor played twenty nine, and then they played alongside each other a little bit. But honestly, Sean, I think if I'm Kevin young I feel like they're better suited when Dallen's their primary ball handler and decision maker because he's played big twelve basketball. He doesn't get rattled. He's a tough kid. So I agree with you that Richie Saunders is key to what they do. But if I'm Kevin young Man, I really feel like Dallen Hall needs to be my primary ball handler and decision maker.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more And I don't. I'm not trying to discredit any one or anything. And I've said this to you on your show, Freshman or Freshman, I don't care. I mean, I understand that Real Madrid is a high level and that he's played at a high level. Jaeger has and catchings as as well. But I'm with you. I think down Hall is a key component to that team and how they play.
Speaker 1: You referenced the way that some of these pieces, including Dallen and Richie played in Mark Pope's system, and of course Mark is now at Kentucky. And hey, look, I've met Kevin a couple of times, and I certainly understand the appeal of hiring a coach that coached Chris Paul, Devin Booker, Kevin Durant.
Speaker 3: If you didn't know that, just asked Kevin. I'll let you know.
Speaker 1: And then hiring coaches that play, you know, a coach in the G League and a strength conditioning staff, all the things about the pro model they're following.
Speaker 3: I get it. It's appealing.
Speaker 1: It's working obviously because they're signing pro prospects.
Speaker 3: But Sean, you know this as well as anyone.
Speaker 1: Look if there if it's a consensus that you have the talent, you got to show you can coach. Now now it's time for you to show people you can coach. And I'm not saying he's he can't. I'm asking you, you know you reference Mark system. What what is different about the way Kevin's asking them to play?
Speaker 2: I mean there are a couple different things, significant different different things. For me. I don't think Mark Pope's system is as good if you don't have shooters, So you've got to just straight up have three point shooters to space it out for it to be effective. I do think Kevin Young's system works a little better if you don't have some shooters. That's just the basic idea about the two systems. And I do think Kevin Young does a really good job of having his kids be crisp with the basketball. They don't waste their energy. I love that you don't see a kid get it and just start dribbling. Their effective and efficient and they're trying to move the ball side to side. But I would say that you've got a head coach. He's been a head coach for a while, Mark Pope, and you've got Kevin Young. Shoe was an assistant coach, and I think every coach in America will tell you there's a big difference between being an assistant coach and the head coach. And I think he's even probably said that. And he's only going to get better as he learns.
Speaker 1: How you know, on the footballs things. And maybe it's just because football feels a little bit more how do I say this, like a religion? And so when a player transfers, it's like you have left us and we hate you forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So Keba Keda comes back to the Huntsman Center. You've got Hunter Ericsson and Jake Walleen who are BYU transfers.
Speaker 3: Does it feel like there's a little it's not.
Speaker 1: The same as football, right, because those people are lunatics.
Speaker 3: We love them. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: But is there the same type of like emotional tie to these players that have played at either institution?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I mean, listen, I want the best for Kaba. I'm glad that he's found a place. I mean he's been really good. Look at it rebounding and for Jake, they'd be the first to tell you that. And we will tell you this. I'll taus from my era pretty much, whether the fans know it or not, all of these athletes in the summer, it's bragging right. You want to win these games to win the g But also when you play basketball, you're playing against all of these players all summer long. You've grown up with them, so we know each other and honestly, most of these athletes are friendly and it's about bragging rights in the summer.
Speaker 1: All right, John, before we set you loose, simple question. Utahst Utah basketball wins tomorrow night?
Speaker 3: If what?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. So number one, we've got to out rebound them. They're a very good rebounding team. We have to rebound them. And then really we've got to change that ball side to side, and we've got to put pressure. Good pressure spent on the rim. Effective pressure where we're actually having good vision is seeing what the defensive is giving us as we get into the paint.
Speaker 1: Sean, you are the man. I always appreciate your time. Dance your Friday night away and have a great call tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: All right, I will thanks so much for you as well. Brother.
Speaker 1: All Right, the great Sean Mooney, He'll be on the call with Bill Riley tomorrow night, seven o'clock sharp. It's the Holy War on the hardwood. And what if I told you I'm not going thirty for thirty? But what if I told you in September that on January eighteenth, Utah Basketball would be a favorite to beat BYU Here in Salt Lake, That's where we find ourselves.
Speaker 3: The line is one and a half.
Speaker 1: Vegas has Utah is a slight favorite according to the FanDuel sportsbook, and Ken Palm, good friend of the show, also has Utah's a one point favorite, but he also has his model projecting literally a fifty fifty toss up, So your guess is as good as mine.