Speaker 1: God Well, channeling is dinner. Clurk get them the shives makes the cat backhand sigh dustin off.
Speaker 2: That gold globe said, you want my spot, come and get it.
Speaker 3: Want to take your shot.
Speaker 4: We're waiting for you.
Speaker 3: Then you're looking real hot.
Speaker 5: Come and get it.
Speaker 3: We're here.
Speaker 4: The road comes through La.
Speaker 3: Come get it. If you won't it, I got it.
Speaker 5: Do you think you can beat this team in a series?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: Bist overall, Bess Dan Klass Padres.
Speaker 3: Fans can line up to kiss our top ring.
Speaker 6: You gotta do what I do if you want my spot. Welcome to Dodgers on Deck. Now your host walking you up the first pitch. It's Tim Kashi.
Speaker 5: Everybody, and welcome in to Moulrongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck. I hope you're enjoying a little June gloom here on this Sunday morning. The Dodgers and Saint Louis, Missouri, as they wrap up their three game series with the Cardinals, your world champion Dodgers thirty eight and twenty seven on this season. After dropping the first two games of this series in San Louis, the Dodgers look to avoid getting swept as they send Clayton Kershaw to the mount of the future Hall of Famer, just twenty four strikeout, shy of three thousand in his career, still searching for his first win here in twenty twenty five. First pitch from Bush Stadium is coming up at eleven to fifteen. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the Dodger manager Dave Roberts. David Vazay, our Dodger insider, will check in throughout the show. He's gonna go one on one with Pete Montero, Yes, Dodgers video coordinator. He'll be joining DV in about forty five minutes. We got your Dodgers magical moment. We dive deeper into this pitching matchup. Kirsten Watson from Sports and at LA will join us live from the field at Busch Stadium in just a few minutes. We head out to Tim Neverd and Rick Monday in the gallupin Motors Broadcast booth.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: Yesterday at Busch Stadium, it was a pitchers duel, Eric Fetti and Yoshi Yama going toe to toe into the sixth inning. Ya'm a moto six shutout innings, scattered four hits, struck out nine along the way, his curveball and splitter almost unhittable yesterday. Fetti meanwhile, pitched into the sixth inning, walked four, gave up four hits. Dodgers had traffic on the base pass, but like the night before, just could not deliver with runners in scoring position for the first six innings. It remained scoreless into the bottom half of the eighth innings. Alex Burlson reached on an infield single with Benksparius on the mount a wild throw, win scored, and the Cardinals were on top one to nothing going to the top half of the ninth inning. The Dodgers get show Hey Otani on base, gets to third and then ties it up on a wild pitch.
Speaker 7: Okie Leeds at first, Otani at third, one two to Freddy Frieman play and it gets a way Hey, and here comes Otani to score. Freeman is out, but on the drop third strike with the wild pitch, Otani comes in and tie is the game at one?
Speaker 3: Is this a strange game of what?
Speaker 5: Yeah? How about that Showy Otani? He had reached on an infield single. They hit the second base bag with one out in the top of the ninth inning, Mookie Bets's single pushed him to third base. Freddie Freeman struck out with one out, but the drop third strike allowed Otani to score, and that tied the game at one. Ben Casparius back out to pitch the top half or the that the bottom half of the ninth inning, game tight at one. Gorman and rb Are a ground rule double that put the go ahead and winning run at second base. Two batters later, with five infielders, Nola fielder, Dodgers trying to induce a double playball from Nolan Aeronado. Instead, he walks him off.
Speaker 7: Won one pitch, swing on and hit in the air to the left. This is gonna do it.
Speaker 3: That's just going to drop in safely for a hit.
Speaker 7: Perrero scores and the Cardinals have walked off two to one, a walk off pinch hit for Nolan Aronauto. It's the third time this year the Cardinals have walked off in the second time this week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how about that. The Dodgers tight in the top of the ninth lose it In the bottom of the ninth. Ryan Helsley gets the win. After the blown safe, Ben Kusparius gets his first loss, he falls to four and one as the Cardinals win it two to one. They win their first two games of this three game series. Dodgers now thirty eight and twenty seven, just a one game lead in the NL West, and today they look to get back on track before heady to San Diego for a huge three game series against the Padres. But first things first, they need to take care of business and get out of Saint Louis with at least a win. Clayton Kershaw on the mound in the series finale, first pitching Bush Stadium at eleven fifteen and with more we head out to the gallupin Bote broadcast boot as we say good morning to Tim Nevert and Rick Monday.
Speaker 7: Guys, Tim, thanks very much here in Saint Louis. It is a beautiful day. That's the first time we can really say that since we've been here for this series. But sunshine, blue skies, and baseball coming your way from the Midwest. As the Dodgers look to salvage a game in this three game series, Dodgers find themselves just a game up on San Diego and San Francisco Dodgers. Oh, thanks to the Brewers last night for a walk off run to defeat San Diego. But thirty eight and twenty seven the record for the Dodgers. They have lost six of their last ten games. They're one game under five hundred on the road now this year at fifteen and sixteen. Meantime, the Cardinals are four back of the Cubs in the Central Cardinals thirty six and twenty eight. Overall, the pitching matchup today is something something we're used to and something we're not. Clayton Kershaw something Dodger fans.
Speaker 3: Are used to us.
Speaker 7: He continues his west for three thousand strikeouts and for the first time this year. Michael McGreevy. You made his big league debut last year with the Cardinals. Former first round draft choice called up from Triple A to make the start. Moll the big story really is the lack of run production for the Dodgers in this series, the lack of hitting with runners in scoring position. How does that turn around?
Speaker 1: Well, I think first of all, the mindset has to be not to take the field trying to salvage a game in this series. I think you have to take the field with the idea this is the day you kick off the longest wind streak of the season. And I say that full well is no I'm going to smile on my face or anything else. That's the attitude of professional athlete. You have to be able to set that goals. Hey, look, today's the day that we start something that we needed to start a few days ago, no question about that. But I think the biggest thing is it trying to cut down on the swings. Some of the swings a little bit too big. Therefore, when you have the big swing, it's a little bit long, long swing. And if we look at the Cardinals the success, you know they not hit the ball knock the cover off of it either. But it's strange Dodgers have lost two in a row, being one for twenty five with runners in scoring position, and yet you look at the Saint Louis Cardinals. They've had only twelve at bats total and only three hits with runners in scoring position, but they have been timely. The other part, too, is the Dodgers need to tighten the defense. They're not playing really Dodgers type of baseball to this particular point in this series.
Speaker 7: The Dodgers' best outfield arm is on the bench today. Andy pa has after ending his eleven game his streak yesterday, Yes today, all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit of a breather.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's had a lot of ground to cover, there's no question about that in playing and for the Cardinals, you know they're trying desperately. This is the wonderful thing about competition. Cardinals are trying to close the gap on the surprising Chicago Cubs. Surprising from the standpoint they've won seven of ten. They're four games in front of the Saint Louis Cardinals. But there's another team behind the Cardinals, Milwaukee, just five and a half and the Brewers have won eight of their last ten. So there's a lot going on in that Western Division with the Dodgers. There's a lot going on in the Central Division with the Cardinals.
Speaker 7: So Otani leading off again as usual, Tascar Hernandez back in the lineup today after a day off yesterday. Looked like tay Oscar is really struggling, in spite of the fact he had a double in Game one. In recent days, he's been chasing a lot of pitches, a lot of sliders outside and just hasn't been as productive and sometimes a breather.
Speaker 1: Can help handles the bolt inside as well as anyone in baseball. The breaking ball, as you mentioned, in particular away from right handed batters, has been problematic. That's got to change, and how does the hitter change that? First of all, from a mindset, think more up the middle and not pull the ball.
Speaker 7: Dave Roberts gave an update on Tony Gonsolin, who had an MRI here at Saint Louis on his right pitching elbow. Again, He's on the injured list with a sore right elbow, but the word is that the ulner collateral ligament, the UCL is intact. So that was good news on the part of Tony Gonsolin that he got from.
Speaker 1: The doctors, and I would imagine the Gonsolin exhaled a lot when he got the news on that. It's still going to be a work in progress, but that's good news initially.
Speaker 7: And the Dodgers did set their pitching rotation for the next series, although there is some question mark what's gonna happen on Tuesday. Dustin May will go tomorrow against San Diego in San Diego. Tuesday, as of right now is a bullpen day. Justin Robleski is the probable for Wednesday Dodgers and Cardinals. Wrapping up here in Saint Louis, Clayton, Kershaw will.
Speaker 3: Make his fifth start.
Speaker 7: He will face Michael McGreevy of the Cardinals, will make his first start ever against the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Tempt All right, thank you guys, as we count you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, make sure you get your game day meal on a Shaky's Pizza parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, David Vaz Say, our Dodger insider checks in. We'll break down this pitching matchup. We here for the manager himself, Dave Roberts. But I'm next. You're Otani Rewine and Kirsten Watson from Sports and at LA joins us live from the field at Bush Stadium as we lead you up to first pitch on this Sunday Dodgers and Cardinals. Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting Game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Cardinals, final game of this three game set from Bush Stadium in Saying Louis. Dodgers looking to get a win to avoid getting sweat. Clayton Kershaw Michael McGreevy. The pitching matchup. First pitch set for eleven fifteen.
Speaker 6: This is the Otani rewhy.
Speaker 7: Now a one ozero and Otani swings grounds it toward the middle, hits the base. It hit the base and Otani is safe. Mason Win the shortstop behind it, ready to field it. It hit the base and karned off to the right and Otani with a literal bass hit and the Dodgers have the tying run aboard.
Speaker 1: Well, that was perfectly aimed at the bag and the bounce right on schedule. Otherwise it's out. Number two rookie.
Speaker 7: Leeds at first, Otani at third one two to Freddy Freeman plag and it gets away and here comes Otani to score. Freeman is out, but on the drop third strike with a wild pitch, Otani comes in and ties the game at one.
Speaker 3: Is this a strange game of what show?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 5: Otani a single up the middle to hit the second base, Bag advanced to third on the Mookie bed single and then scores the lone Dodgers run in the top half of the ninth inning yesterday on a drop third strike. The Dodgers Zell would give up a run, a walk off RBI double from Nolan Aeronado in the bottom half of the ninth inning as a lose to the Cardinals yesterday two to one.
Speaker 6: This is Kirston's corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 5: Hey Kirson now joins us from Saint Louis. Brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate that old car? Call eight seven seven Cars for Kids right now, friendly agents are standing by to take your donation. That's Cars with the K to donate your car today. I know Dodger fans panicking a little bit right now, Keirson, with the way the offense not really scoring runs, especially in the Saint Louis series. How about the team the players a little concerning on.
Speaker 8: There in you know, I wouldn't say that it's concerning. I think there's just, uh, there's some frustration because of course they want to score their runs and they're getting on base or providing themselves with opportunities to score runs, and even yesterday we saw them score on the wild tape they got lucky with the show hey Ball that they hit off the bag. So you're seeing situations like that. But it's a matter of yes, you're right, they want to win and in order to do that they have to kind of potentially work through some things at the plate with their approach. But Dave Roberts today did say, as much as maybe the results aren't showing and there are a few guys who are scuffling, he does feel like it's a veteran group. They know who they are, they can state as who they are. They're not chasing and they're not trying to overdo things of coursing situations. So it's just a matter of Look, they do want to salvage the series. They do not want to get slept by the Cardinals. They do want to figure some things out today. As a young picture going for the Cardinals, they're gonna have to find ways to get to him because he has been quite efficient as of late. So hopefully they can get things going early to also give that run support for Clayt Kershaw, who's going to be on the mountain today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Clayton Kershaw is still looking for his first win here in twenty twenty five and just twenty four strikeouts away from three thousand.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and for him, you know, when Dave Roberts was talking about him today, he said, you know, what has been consistent about Quinton Kershaw this year has been the inconsistency. And so for him, it's that fastball command. It's just sometimes it's there and it's sufficient and it's sharp and it's the Kursha that we know super well, and other times it's just not quite in sync. And even in his last one, he just felt like, you know, the stuff wasn't there, it wasn't good enough where he likes it to be. And we know what happened in that game and how next month he was able to kind of bounce back from the air and late in the game get the home run to win the game. So it's just it's a situation in which he's looking to get in sync and kind of be that guy he's used to being. It does look a little bit different right now. Of course, he is coming off with injury and things like that, but he of course wants to get back to him true self and so hopefully today he can do that. It is going to be a tall task going against this Cardinal's lineup. But you know, for Kershaw, he is one of the greatest of all time. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer. There's no doubt about that. It's just a matter of how can he get things going, be efficient, but also you know, out there eat some innings because we do want to see these starters take on some debt to also help protect the bullpins, who we know the usage has been high for them all year.
Speaker 5: Great day to get a victory, then a happy flight to San Diego for a big series against the Padres. But take care of business first, curiously that we appreciate it. We'll check with you after the game. Still to come here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck, we'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup. David Vesego's one on one with Pedro Montero, the Dodger video replay and infield coach No next so will get you an injury report and we hear from Dodger manager Dave Roberts as we lead up to Dodgers and Cardinals on this Sunday. First pitch from Saint Louis Is, eleven fifteen. I'm Tim Kasis, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue All Season Low.
Speaker 5: Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Sunday morning. We lads up to the first pitch from San Louis Dodgers and the Cardinals Moroango Casino Resort and spat a Grand Slam for good times. Clayton Kershaw, Michael McGreevy the pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at eleven fifteen.
Speaker 6: This it's the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 5: Report, presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of your Los Angeles Dodgers. Tony Gonsolin yesterday plays back on the iel with the right elbow soreness. Tyler Glassnell on the iel with the shoulder inflammation, Blake Snell on the IL, Luis Garcia Rookie Sasaki, Blake trying to Bruce Dark graderol All on the IL trying to work their way back. Immit Sheen working his way back from Tommy John surgery a year ago. He is in Triple A, Oklahoma City. A name to continue to keep listening for as he could be an added arm to this rotation in the next month or so. All Right, we head back out to Bush Stadium in Saint Louis and check in with the Dodger Skipper. Anything else Dave Questions for Dave.
Speaker 3: Dave, can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 6: Can you talk about the pressure in the dugouts with Dave Robbers?
Speaker 9: You know what, I think that there's a few guys in our lineup right now that are really feeling pretty good at the plate, and there's guys right now that are trying to find their swings a little bit not as comfortable. I just think that we just got to continue to create opportunities. But you know, it's a veteran group, you know, and ironically a couple of the younger guys are feeling pretty good at the plate. Giving Andy Pajes a day today. I think he's played eight or nine in a row, so just give him a blow getting ready for the San Diego series and pay Song swinging about well, So just to get him another start too, Dude.
Speaker 10: What have you seen from Kershaw from his first start to his last start?
Speaker 3: I think the.
Speaker 9: I think what's been consistent is the inconsistency of the command. I think that's the main thing where I think there's a certainly uncharacteristic walks in there getting behind some counts, which is so uncharacteristic of Clayton. So I think that's probably the main thing today. If we can sort of get harnessed at fastball to both sides of the play, get the slider doing what it's what it's supposed to do, what we've come to know it to do. When he does get count leverage, that'll be a tell, you know, if we're putting balls in play with two strikes, then it's kind of not doing what we wanted to do.
Speaker 10: What do you ache?
Speaker 5: All Right, there's a magic Dave Roberts talking to the media in particular about today's starter, Clayton Kershaw and what he needs to do to be effective. Who we continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We will check in with David Vassay as we get you the very latest from Saint Louis leading up to Dodgers and Cardinals. I'm Tim Gates is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Nework.
Speaker 6: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tack on, the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers and Cardinals wrap up this three game sent from St.
Speaker 3: Louis.
Speaker 5: Dodgers looking to get a win for getting swept out of St.
Speaker 3: Louis.
Speaker 5: Clayton Kershaw, Michael McGreevy the pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at eleven fifteen.
Speaker 6: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 4: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 6: This is Dodger insider David Bassei, Well DV.
Speaker 5: It's always a fun day when a future Hall of Famer number twenty two takes the mound for the Dodgers.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Clayton Kershaw making his eleventh career start in the regular season here at Bush Stadium, and the results have been mixed and we won't even get into the postseason. Tim, But in ten starts here in the regular season, Kershaw zra is three seventy seven and that's when he was at the peak of his power. It's gonna be interesting to see what kind of Kershaw we get today. In his last start, he did not have a fuel for his curveball. The command of the slider was not there. But you hope that those things start to come more consistently as he gets more starts under his belt.
Speaker 4: Also, consider this team.
Speaker 10: There's no guarantees Kershaw pitches next season, so this very well maybe the last time he ever pitches in Saint Louis at Bush Stadium.
Speaker 5: Wow, David is driven by four. If there's one thing we like, its choices. Find yours at the fort one to fifty gas hybrid all electric tough this mark, he can only be called the f one fifty David. Yesterday Tony Gonsol and we found out right about this time yesterday that he was going on the Ange list. What have we learned since?
Speaker 10: Well, Dave Roberts said, they got the results of the MRI Gonsolin took yesterday, and they got good news because his UCL ligament was intact.
Speaker 3: So that's a good thing.
Speaker 10: But when is he returning nobody knows, and that leaves the Dodgers having to scramble for starting pitching in San Diego.
Speaker 4: They got dustin May tomorrow.
Speaker 10: Dave Roberts said, they aren't sure what they're going to do on Tuesday and on Wednesday, Justin Robleski is going to make a second consecutive start, not ideal when you're only a game ahead of the team chasing you and the first time you're seeing them and also tied in the lost column with the Padres.
Speaker 5: Yeah, speaking of those Padres, as you mentioned, you're gonna see them pretty quickly. After this game. The team's going to head to San Diego and for the first time this year, a three game series head to head against the Padres starting tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it should be fun.
Speaker 10: It is going to be rocous in San Diego, There's no doubt about it. Dave Roberts and the Dodgers can downplay it all they want. When they're in that environment starting tomorrow night, you can't help but the adrenaline getting up there. It's similar to the team down I'm playing when the Yankees came to Dodgers Stadium. Once they were in it, they felt it and you saw them all rise to the occasion.
Speaker 5: Now, it's gonna be a great series. It's gonna be exciting in San Diego. With first things first, they gotta take care of business today. Thanks a lot. Dave will check back in with you in just a couple of minutes. Coming up here on Marongo Casino. Dodgers on deck we'll dive deeper into this peach pitching matchup. Pete Montero, the Dodger replay coordinator infield coach, will join David Vasse coming up in about fifteen minutes as well as we lead you up to first pitch on this Sunday from Saint Louis Dodgers and Cardinals. I'm Tim Kasis, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunter's game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Cardinals from Saint Louis. Clayton Kershaw on the mound looking for his first win of the sea. In first pitch from Bush Stadium, set for eleven fifteen, I thought that without.
Speaker 4: A hot dog, who wants a hot dog?
Speaker 6: It's time for the Hawfy Magical moment Ditch Magical presented by Hawpey hot Dogs.
Speaker 5: Well, the Dodgers taken on the Cardinals in Saint Louis. We go back to September fifteenth, twenty eighteen, Bush Stadium, Dodgers and Cardinals yossl Puig hit not one, not two, but three home runs.
Speaker 2: In their respective histories, the Dodgers have won six World Series, the Cardinals have won eleven. Dodgers have had thirty one playoff appearances, the Cardinals have had twenty eight. They've been having added since eighteen ninety two, and Quig with a fly ball the left field ozuna back the third home run of the game for Yossiel Puig. He has hit five in the last two and the Dodgers now lead it thirteen to four. Wei a three run shot he has knocked in seven.
Speaker 3: What a performance.
Speaker 5: What a night for Yasiel Puigue, three home runs, seven rbi as the Dodgers demolished the Cardinals back in twenty eighteen, seventeen to four. This Hafey magical moment brought to you by Hofey hot Dogs, Haffey Socal's local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Hoffey hot Dogs local and so great. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll check back you on Rick Monday. As we're leading you up to first pitch from St. Louis Dodgers and Cardinals. I'm Tim Kasies, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue All season long.
Speaker 5: Law Dodgers and Cardinals from Saint Louis, final game of this three game set. Dodgers have dropped the first two to the Cardinals are going to get back on track. Still a game lead in the nl WES as far as first place is concerned. Time off for the Dodgers' game plan. What's your game plan? Dodger fans? Start your future to California Community college. Financial aids available to help you with tuition, books, and sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, so enroll today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 6: And now joined by David Bass saying, here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 10: One more day in Saint Louis with Rick Monday. Rick better weather conditions today than what we saw the first two games.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: That thing that's up in the sky, that big bright thing, I haven't seen it for a couple of days. And for the Dodgers, they have not seen some offense in a couple of days. One for twenty five with runners in scoring position over the first two games of this series. And you don't really expect to lose two in a row when the opposing team with runners in scoring position over the two games collectively.
Speaker 3: Just three for twelve.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of strange balance, no question about it. But you know what today is because we used to walk into Dave Roberts's office and we say, hey, you know what today is.
Speaker 3: It's a good day to kick somebody's family.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers need to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And here's the other part too.
Speaker 1: If we look at the Western Division standings, San Diego and San Francisco knocking on the door, they're each just a game behind the Dodgers. The Dodgers have not played well. It's not just the hitting. They have k not pitched particularly well. They have not been fielding the ball particularly well. And it's been a strange couple of days games wise here in Saint Louis. They need to change things around us. In their hands, they can do it, and I full will expect them to come out today behind Clayton Kershaw and understands, Hey, look they may have to shorten up. I mean, here's the other thing too. The Dodgers have gone now what three games that out hitting a ball out of the ball. Yeah, they came into the series with most. They came in with the most home runs of any team in baseball coming into this series.
Speaker 10: Okay, Rick, you have a lot of answers there. I have some more questions regarding what you just educated us on. Okay, Dodgers one hitting twenty five at bats with runners in scoring position, How does that change? Do they have to shorten their swings? They do they have to have more team at bats?
Speaker 3: Yep, all of the above.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's not hitting five hundred foot home runs. In a couple of cases, if we look at Freddy Freeman, it's that kind of a strange, a strange series. Not making contact, which is not like Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 3: But he's not the only one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying to get some runners on base, and I think take advantage of opportunities. They don't know a whole lot about Michael McGready that they're going to be facing today, the fact that he'll challenge it, there's no question about it. What about Clayton Kershaw? But you know, this game has it goes full circle from time to time. We walked in at the Madhagarian Al Raboski tells us, as we're getting it, we got off the bus and we're coming up the elevator and you were right there and you talk to him. He goes, hey, be easy on us today. I'm a what the heck are you talking about? You won each of the first two games. But that's the competitive level.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 10: That's what Dave Roberts said as well, Rick, that they get the Sunday best from every team they face, not only because they're the Dodgers, but also the world champions with three MVPs, now they got four today with Kershaw on the mountain.
Speaker 1: You remember when I started saying in spring training that everybody is going to be waiting for the Dodgers to come into town. It's the defending world champions, and as you said, it's the Los Angeles Dodgers. They're high expectations and everyone wants to beat the best. And that's what the Dodgers have been from an organizational standpoint, from a team standpoint, and they're in first place in the Western Division. But they can play better baseball than what they have, at least in this particular area. This was a big day for me in baseball, and I didn't realize it until this morning. I got a text and then my family text. This was the first day of the Major League Draft way back when nineteen sixty five, and I remember it distinctly because we were in the College World Series. I say we, the team from Arizona State University. We were in uniform, setting down the right field line at Rosenblatt Stadium, ready to take on a team I don't remember who it was that we were going to take on. And then a couple of days later we wound up in the final game of beat Ohio.
Speaker 3: State and won the nc too A Championship. But this was the date that the Baseball put in the Major League Draft.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that they moved it out of the same time period as the College World Series because that should be the biggest stage for those players that are participating and not have the college Draft over there. So kudos to Baseball that moved the draft to a different spot.
Speaker 3: You beat me to the punch.
Speaker 10: Look at my calendar, I have an annual reminder that.
Speaker 3: Today's the day you're a sick puppy.
Speaker 10: Rick Monday first ever drafted player from college.
Speaker 3: So the system would never work.
Speaker 1: Although if you look at the draft, remember the guy who's pitching for the Dodgers. Today was the first draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers in two thousand and six. He's headed the Hall of Fame. We're talking about Clinton Kershaw.
Speaker 10: All right, Rick, happy anniversary being the first ever player drafted in the amateur draft.
Speaker 3: But we're waiting for the number one pick this year.
Speaker 10: No doubt, and Brady Ebol will be drafted this scene. There we go, all right, Rick, enjoy the day. Hopefully the Dodgers get a win today for Sea on the plane sounds happy flight, happy flight to San Diego.
Speaker 3: We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 5: Tim are thanks lat d V. Still to come here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on day. We're gonna dive deeper into this pitching madschup. We got a young man in his first season in the big leagues against a future Hall of Famer, and Clayton Kershaw will dive deeper to that pitching matchup. Rick'll be back with Tim and gets you those keys to the game. But up next we go high and tight with one of the guys behind the scenes for the Dodger coaching staff, Pete Montero. That's next. So it leads up to Dodgers and Cardinals from Sant Louis. First pitch at eleven fifteen. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 7: As we were.
Speaker 6: Saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on jack on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers and Cardinals from Saint Louis, Clayton Kershaw, fetch your Hall of Famer Michael McGreevy out of U see Santa Barbara San Clementa High School, making his second start in the Big Leagues. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Zench Sushi, made fresh onsite daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision, passion, a tradition you can taste. Where can you pick him up? Well, it's at the Zenchi counter, right near the deli counter at Ralphs. Yeah, go inside your Rol's grocery store. Find that Zench counter, the tun rollspisy tuon roles, salmon roles, ten per shrimp roles. They got all the platters, they got the pok bulls. Zenchi sushi always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 6: D Now what will likely be vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 5: It's an engagement of endearment. This is high and tight.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 10: On the last home Standino Ebol had to be at his son Brady's graduation and that meant a dream coming true for a lifelong Dodger fan growing up in the San Fernando Valley and a guy that earned that opportunity coming up coaching through the Dodgers minor league organization since twenty seventeen. He also has a strong connection to one of the all time great Dodgers and certainly a big part of Dave Roberts' staff in the video room and also working with Mookie Betts and the infielders, and that is the one and only Pedro Montero AKA.
Speaker 4: Thanks a lot for the time. Hey, thanks for having me, Dave. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Have your feet hit the ground since the other night coaching first base?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say so.
Speaker 11: It definitely, you know, dream come true like you said earlier, and yeah, I'm back to after the grind.
Speaker 4: As soon as the game was over, I went right back to what I had to do after the game. What was it like for you to be out there? How did you slow the game down? Considering that was a goal of yours.
Speaker 11: You know, I think just my experience and you know, having been coaching, you know, all these years and where I started with the Regis Smith Baseball Academy at the time was Reddy Smith Baseball Centers, and I think my experience is you know, coaching at the lower levels all the way through the minor leagues and then coaching winterball and Puerto Rico, I think helped me and you know, my preparation and stuff that I still do to this day, even in the video room and the things that I help on that and you know, just kind of prepared me and helped me when I got out there. I was really comfortable being out there.
Speaker 10: Hey, John Wood and aways used to failing to prepare is preparing to fail, That's correct.
Speaker 11: And you know it's something that I've been doing, you know, my entire life. And then when I came to the Dodgers in the minor league is the same thing. And then you know, being on the major league staff helping out with you know, multiple parts of the game, and you know, I just continue to lock it in and I have a lot of time to be able to lock it in in the video room.
Speaker 10: Pete Montero is our guest. He's one of the Dodgers' key coaches. He got to coach first base the other night, filling in for Dino Ebel. You mentioned Reggie Smith. He obviously has meant a lot to so many that he has touched. How much does Reggie Smith mean to you? I mean, Reggie's a big part of my life. Uh, you know, I I tell this to a lot of people like Reggie's like my second father.
Speaker 4: And you know, he brought me up in this game.
Speaker 11: And prepared me to be a coach when I didn't know I was gonna do that, and uh, you know, spend a lot of time with him as a you know, younger athlete high school and uh, you know, going through CA and taking lessons and learning the game, and then him asking me to come and coach after I graduated college in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 4: You know, he told me, you know, I really want you to come help.
Speaker 11: And I was by aside for two years learning and understanding every part of the game. And you know, I think to this day that attention to detail because of the things that he asked me to do, and how you know, you got to be a well rounded coach and I just you know, focus on one thing, but know a little bit about everything has kind of helped shape me to where I'm at today.
Speaker 4: And you know, I owe them a lot.
Speaker 11: And obviously I've had a lot of other coaches in my life. You know, my dad helped me, you know, introduce me to this game, and you know a lot of other coaches that have impacted me, but he's the one that you know, taught me the the details and all the ins and outs of the game and sharing, you know, the Dodger Way, and you know, being here with the Dodgers now my ninth season, it's a dream come true.
Speaker 4: And you know I learned the Dodger a when I was a young.
Speaker 11: Kid, and you know, to be able to show that now, it's it's cool. I was talking to Reggie about it the other day, and you know, being able to see him when he used to coach first base and.
Speaker 4: I got a chance to be out there was pretty special for the both of us.
Speaker 10: When you got that phone call from Reggie Smith, how proud was he and what did he tell you after?
Speaker 11: I mean, for most people that know Reggie, Reggie is a real tough guy. And when he said he had tears in his eye. Is a you know, it was a pretty special moment for the both of us, and he said he was proud of me, and he said, you got plenty of work to do and just continue to work on your process and continue to grow and learn every single day, which is something that.
Speaker 4: I strive for every single day when I'm at the ballpark.
Speaker 10: Pete Montero is our guest, and his work did not just start when the season started or when spring training started. You were a key help to Mookie Bets this offseason. Tell us about the connection you made with Mookie Bets to help him prepare for shortstop this season. Yeah, you know, obviously being a kid from the valley and Mookie and I had talked last season, and you know, he said he was living in LA and you know, we all, you know, talk and I said, hey, you know, if you ever need help, let me know.
Speaker 4: I'm not too far from you, about ten minutes from you in Burbank. And so it just happened.
Speaker 11: I saw a picture of a kid that I coach and I know his dad that at Crespy and he was at the field and Mogan and.
Speaker 4: I started talking. He goes Hey, what are you doing tomorrow?
Speaker 11: And I was like nothing, he goes, you want to come out, So it's kind of how it started again. And then you know we went from three days to five days to six days a week, and you know, that was kind of how it all came came together. And you know, one thing that I've always learned from Reggie and you know even some other people in this game is you know, you always make yourself available for players and be ready whenever they need help. So that's you know, trying to do whatever I can to help this DODG your organization, you know, in any way that I can.
Speaker 10: So you're telling me during the offseason, if we showed up at Crespy, we not only would see Derek Fishsher, but we would see Mookie Bets and p D Montero working out.
Speaker 11: I mean yeah, I mean we were over at Mid Valley and it's kind of cool just even that. I mean, I remember playing All Stars at Valley, so it was I knew exactly where it was. When he's like, hey, we're going here, was like, I know where that's at. And yeah, it was a really good work that that he was able to put in and focus on, and you know I had mentioned before, you know, he didn't have to worry about playing at night. It was just breaking stuff down and you know, taking it one step out of time and moving on as the weeks went on.
Speaker 10: Dodger coach P. D. Montero is our guest. All right, tell us something about yourself. You grew up in the San Fernando Valley, you grew up a Dodger fan. Who were your group of players growing up? And where did you go to high school?
Speaker 11: Uh So, one of my favorite Dodgers growing up was Josevis Guy.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a lie.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm serious.
Speaker 11: I remember, you know, and you know there was a couple other guys rolling honestly, but I remember, even as a kid, I to this day, obviously I still wear Oakley's, but Josevis Guy, you know, was one of the first guys I saw wearing Oakley's and shin guard and you know, switch hitters short stop. So it was kind of kind of something that I came across. And you know, there was other guys out there with the daughters. I mean, you talk about you know, Mike Piazza and e K.
Speaker 4: Shout out to e K.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 11: I think, you know, as a kid, one of my special moments with my dad is going to Opening Day.
Speaker 4: I went to sixteen straight.
Speaker 11: Opening days as a kid and something to this day that I remember and you know, now being on the field during Opening Day has been awesome experience only for myself, but for my family.
Speaker 4: You know, growing up as a kid, we played so many sports.
Speaker 11: Played at Sibyl, played basketball with the Calves, played at Silmar Park for basketball, played for the San Fernando Braves for football.
Speaker 4: And you know there's something that you.
Speaker 11: Know, sports taught me a lot about discipline but also kept me out of trouble. And you know, growing up in San Fernando, you know, you just got to find a way to make something to yourself. And you know, representing my my city and my community is really important to me. Baseball is discipline. You also have a fire fighting background as.
Speaker 4: Well, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 11: After I graduated college, I went to EMT School and started to interview process, went to the fire Academy, went on a lot of firefighter interviews and you know, until I got hired. And again, I think being a firefighter has helped me even more to understand the ins and outs and pay attention to more detail at work.
Speaker 4: But also now here on the baseball field. All right, P. D.
Speaker 10: Montero, congratulations on living out a dream, not only coaching first base the other night, but being part of Dave Robert's staff and being such a big part of it. And certainly the future is bright. You're not stopping now.
Speaker 11: Thanks, I appreciate it. And yeah, the work's never done. And like Reggie always says, when you think you have it made and you know it.
Speaker 4: It's probably time to go home. Hey, that's a pretty good teacher, Reggie Smith. Thanks a lot for the time. Thanks, Dee, appreciate it. There he is the man from the Grade one eight. P. D.
Speaker 10: Montero, and he'll receive a pair of Canaan's world best polarized sunglasses. Canaan's lenses are clearer, lighter, and stronger than other lenses and are nearly impossible to scratch. Visit kanaan dot Com for your pair, Tim, we'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: Thanks a lot, DV, Thanks lot. PD Montero, what a great story. What a great guy working for the Dodgers. Their video coordinator got to coach first base with Dino Ebel at his son's high school graduation on the last homestand PD Montero one of the good guy's great story from the eight one eight great to sharing with all the Dodger fans out there. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at Shankys dot Com or leading. You have to first pitch from Saying Louis up. Next, we'll break down this pitching matchup. One guy getting close to going to the Hall of Fame, the other guy just breaking into baseball. I'm Tim Kasis, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunted on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers and Cardinals should Saying Louis first pitch from Bush Stadium is coming up at eleven fifteen and.
Speaker 6: Now before the Dodgers hit the dinam we look at the pitching matches.
Speaker 5: Hiting by your Southern California Toyota dealers. Work hard and play hard in the New Tacoma with an I Force Turbo Charts engine is a truck built for the bowl. To see your Toyota dealers today, they make it easy. Michael McCreevy on the Want to Know with the zero Era. Twenty four year old right hander San Clementi High School first round pick of the Cardinals in twenty twenty one at a UC Santa Barbara fastball sinker sweeper. McGreevy is one of the organization's top prospects and has pitched well in Triple A this year with fifty eight strikeouts over fifty five innings. Making his second start in the big League's debut was back on May fourth against the Mets. Five and two third, shutout innings, one hit, five strikeouts and a win over New York Clayton Kershaw, the future Hall of Famer, looking for his first win here in twenty twenty five, twenty four strikeouts away from three thousand. Isle last win coincidentally came against the Cardinals August of last year at Bush Stadium. Making his fifth start this season last time out four and two third innings, five runs, six hits in a no decision against the Mets. Clayton and Kershaw Michael McGreevy. The pitching matchup Dodgers and Cardinals were fifteen minutes away from first pitch. Keys of the game. Our next, I'm Tim Kats's the world Champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 5: Dodgers and Cardinals wrapping up this three game series and it's off to San Diego for the first time to meet against the Padres. Clayton Kershawn in search of his first win. Michael McGreevy out of UC Santa Barbara San Clementi High School will go for the Cardinals in his second start the big leagues. Before first pitch that we head back out to the booth. Tim Neverertrick Monday, guys.
Speaker 7: Sam, thanks again and back here in Saint Louis. It'll be a really, really good day here today. The weather has moved out. Sunshine and blue sky is expected all afternoon with temperatures in the eighties, so more of a summer like day for the veteran left handed Clayton Kershaw, who looks for his first decision. Kershaw has an era in an area we don't normally associate with Clayton Kershaw five seventeen, and I think moll a lot of that stems from his first inning ERA, which is eleven twenty five. And how do you come up with that, Well, he's allowed five earned runs in the first inning this year and he's pitched four first innings, so you just do the math and it comes out to eleven and a quarter, but after that it drops to three to zero eight and one of the all time era leaders back on the mound today.
Speaker 1: It's really important that for Clayton Kershaw have command of the strike zone. The velocity is just below ninety at least so far on an average. The other part too is to be watching very closely on the slider. Normally that's a devastating pitch, but to this point it's a three ZHO four batting average against that kerb bull that was problematic the couple of times that he took them ount a little bit better finally able to dial it in. Has been hit pretty hard as well. But one thing about Clayton Kershaw, he understands how to pitch. And one thing too is that they've got a couple of guys that have faced him a lot and for Nolan. Aronado has five career home runs and at two ninety seven against him, so that'll be a good matchup to watch.
Speaker 7: Also, and Michael McGreevy called up from Triple A Memphis, making his second big league appearance this year. A spots start today for the youngster. The only Dodger that has ever faced McGreevy is Michael Confordo and everybody else will be seeing him for the first time. So McGreevy against Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers and Cardinals. Dodgers looking to salvage a game and begin a long wind streak.
Speaker 1: The longest of the seasons, longest of this has to be the mindset that's.
Speaker 7: Got to be it, all right, So we will be back with the lineups and first pitch in the not too distant future.
Speaker 5: Tim, all right, first pitch is coming up. Don't forget. After the game, I'll be back with all the postgame festivities Dodger talk as well as the Dodgers will board a flight and head to San Diego for the start of a three game series, first time they'll see the Padres of this season. But hey, first things first, Dodgers need to take care of business and say Louis get Clayton Kershaw that first win of twenty twenty five and the Dodgers get back on the winning track. First pitch from Bush Stadium is next. This has been Moroco Casino Dodgers on deck. I'm Tim kats So this is a world champion. Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network