Speaker 1: Hello Eighties movies lovers. Bill band here, co host of the All Eighties Movies Podcast, with a quick announcement before we start this week's episode, I wanted to take a moment to share some news. After six and a half seasons, my co host Jason Massek, has decided to step away from the podcast to focus on some other projects. Jason, thank you for everything you've brought to the show over the past six years. Your insights, humor, and passion for eighties movies helped make this podcast what it is today, and I truly wish you nothing but the best and whatever comes next, And who knows, maybe someday we'll return as a special guest to revisit one of his favorite movies. Now, for those of you wondering, this is not the end of the All Eighties Movies Podcast. I plan to keep the show going with plenty of guest hosts while I search for the right permanent co host. There are still so many awesome movies from the greatest decade in movie history to discuss, and I can't wait to keep sharing those conversations with all of you. One quick note about today's episode, do do some unexpected technical issues during recording, we were not able to capture Jason's final movie rating, so unfortunately that part of the episode is missing. Finally, I just want to say thank you to everyone who has listened, supported and followed us over these past six and a half years. So with that, let's start our show. Hello, and welcome to the Old Eighties Movies podcast podcast where we talk about the flops or so flops and everything in between. Who won the Presus Decades for movies the nineteen eighties? I'm host Bill Bett. Won with me on this journey of revisiting eighties movies is my co host Jason Massek. Hello Jason.
Speaker 2: Your crime is not that you got caught, but the crime itself. Remember that. Hopefully you will realize what you did is wrong. Hopefully you'll never do anything like that again. This is a juvenile facility. That means you are not in charge of the zoo. We are. If you think your hip, you're not. If you were, you wouldn't be here.
Speaker 1: That's right, Listeners, We are discussing with spoilers of twenty the nineteen eighty three prison drama Bad Boys. It was produced by EMI Films and the Solo Film Company and distributed it by Universal Pictures. The movie stars Sean Penn, E Sigh Morales, and Ali Sheedy. Directed by Rick Rosenthal, This movie's rated R with the running time of two hours and three minutes. So what is this movie about? What's on the box? If you grew up in the nineteen eighties and what's your local video story. To rent this movie, you would find this description on the back of the VHS box.
Speaker 2: It is what's on the box?
Speaker 1: Take it away, Jason.
Speaker 2: At the age of nine, they've joined a street gang. At twelve, they're pushing drugs. At sixteen, they're part of a nightmare teenage underworld of rape, mugging, armed robbery, and murder.
Speaker 1: Bad Boys, Bad Boys? Jason, you were me? That was short?
Speaker 2: Could that be the shortest What's on the box of all time?
Speaker 1: And most nondescriptive of the movie that we thought. Also, it doesn't tell you anything about the movie.
Speaker 2: Nothing at all, Nothing at all. Wow. Very curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting, it was different. So that was what's on the box? Jason. Do you remember the first time you saw Bad Boys?
Speaker 2: No, of course not, because I've never seen this film until watching it for this podcast. And that's just fitting. After reading the What's on the Box synopsis because yeah, I was curious about this. I knew Sean Penn was in this and iSIG Morales. And I'd actually listened to another podcast discussing this film, and I was like, what what? Wait? What what is Bad Boy? What are you talking about? Not the Will Smith movie? Okay, this is a different early eighties movies that I just was not aware of, so very curious to investigate this one. But that's all I got. Had you seen this before? Bill Ban?
Speaker 1: I thought for sure I had not seen this at all, so like, maybe I've just seen clips because there was a lot in here I kind of remembered. Okay, but I don't think I've seen it from beginning to band until this podcast. So yes, I would say it first watch for me.
Speaker 2: Also, all right, a first watch for both of us.
Speaker 1: Then yes, all right, so let's talk about the movie. What are our impressions of Bad Boys?
Speaker 2: Ooh, two hours, three minutes of dreary. This is one of the most bleak movies I've ever seen. I'll say this right now and I'll say it again. In my conclusion, it's well done. It's a realistic depiction of life in a juvenile correction facility. But this is a rough watch. It's brutal and it's a bummer. It's really violent. It has multiple rape sequences, beatings, and murders. I wish I could say this was a great Chicago movie because that's where it takes place. But I mean ninety percent of it takes place inside the Rainford Juvenile Detention Center. So yeah, I mean, these kids, these poor teenagers that have put themselves in this situation, under these circumstances, they're involved in some really really heavy shit. And I understand teenagers in high school doing drugs and dealing drugs, but this is real gang stuff and they're paying the price. What's your initial impression?
Speaker 1: Okay, I know this takes place as the juvenile detention center, but I'm just gonna keep saying prison because it's just quicker.
Speaker 2: To say it is it is.
Speaker 1: This is my overall impression of the movie. Was who am I supposed to root for in this movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right away, our main character, played by Sean Penn O'Brien, we see him mug a lady, then beat up a guy for money. He's the one that we're following throughout the story and Usually when you watch a prison film, and I think the only other prison movie we've done so far is Start Crazy. Usually the person that goes to prison is innocent and has been wrongly accused, so the whole time you're rooting for this person to find justice to get out. Whereas in this film, it is what the title says. They are bad boys. Everybody in this prison has done wrong. So why am I invested in these characters? But I was two hours three minutes. This movie flies okay, and that's always a great sign. And I almost felt guilty watching this rooting for O'Brien. I'm like, I shouldn't be. He's a terrible person. He killed someone in order to get into that juvenile facility. I should not care. Whatever happens to him should happen to him because he has done wrong. But I was invested. That's the mark of a good movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting. I agree. I was engaged the whole time. I felt it was a little bit slow, though, I'm going to disagree with you on that. At the two hour running time I did not think was necessary. I think this could have been done stepping in my complaints already been done in probably an hour and forty five hour, forty minutes. But you're right, I also was engaged, and I mean, let's get into it. Let's talk about the cast. I mean, let's talk about Sean Penn, who plays Mick O'Brien, who is a thief. He's a thug, and he's sixteen years old and committing crimes on the street as you described, and then ends up in this facility. Now, man, he's got such a baby face. He's twenty two years old when this comes out, and he looks like he's sixteen. This is a year after Fast Times, and he looks younger.
Speaker 1: That blew my mind. I kept thinking, wait, because I kept thinking this movie came out in eighty two, because I'm like, there's no way.
Speaker 2: Super super young. He's excellent. Of course, he's raw, he's natural. So I really appreciated his performance. I mean, could you actually count on both hands how many lines he has in this movie. He really doesn't speak that.
Speaker 1: Much, No, he doesn't. Everything's in his face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely. This is a great example of face acting. It's all in the eyes. And I'll get to that later on in one of my favorite scenes. Actually, because he's very stoic he's very cold. And the thing about this movie was I'm trying to figure out who am I supposed to be invested in, Who is a redeemable character and whose journey is am I supposed to Well, obviously it's Mike O'Brien has Sean Penn, But it didn't seem like anything was happening until the end and then I got it. I got it, and it got me, so it was effective, I have to say that much.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's great in this. You think about this cast. Most of these people, it's their first roles right right, and most of them are still working here today, credit to the casting department. And I think that's what really kept me invested, was just watching all these actors in young roles. Just everybody pretty much just knocked him out of the park. I was just interested in all the characters, even though I know these are all bad people and I should not care or get two shits about him because they've done wrong.
Speaker 2: Real wrong, like yes, homicide, multiple I want to talk about Clancy Brown real quick. He's just at the top of my mind because we were just talking about Buckaroo Bonzai, but this is actually his feature film debut as Viking Lofgren And this is Clancy Brown's first credit on IMDb of three hundred and fifty seven credits. Here he is making his debut and makes a real impact. I think he's great in this with the blonde fro if you will, Yes, when he's jogging in his jeens, which has got to be really tough. He's very off putting in this, very disturbing. I mean, what can you say? It's Clancy Brown. He's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he plays a great bully in this without being a stereotypical bully. He knows how to push people's buttons more what's a look or a quick line doesn't go to over the top. And yes, the Viking nickname is awesome because his blonde locked. He is really good in this, and I think I was surprised to learn this. This was his first role. He's still doing it today. Amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's got such a presence. I mean he's got the height right, he's what six two sixty three at least, so he's he might be, so he's towering over everybody. But listeners, we're talking about these cast of characters that are all, you know, stuck in this no, I'm not stuck, but they landed in this juvenile prison. I'm gonna say prison as well from now on. And it's a dreary situation, and they're all intimidating, and they're all going up against each other, and I want to talk about next. We've got Eric Gurry, who plays the character of Verry Horowitz, who basically is Sean Penn's buddy in this if you will, his best friend, his cellmate. Right now, what did you think of Eric Gurry who's playing this kid we're talking about these kids that have committed serious crimes. He fire bombed a bowling alley and killed multiple people and says it as if it was nothing, just kind of saying, this is why I'm here, and then befriends Sean Penn's character Mike O'Brien, What did you think of Eric Gurry's performance as Horowitz?
Speaker 1: Had to laugh because when I first saw him, I'm like, oh my god, he looks like a young Barry Manilow. And then when you find out his famous Barry Horowitz, I just kind of called him young Barry.
Speaker 2: Sure, Okay, I was like, oh my god, this.
Speaker 1: Would be so funny if this is the Barry Manilow story, and this is how Barry started it out at juvenile detention center and then he turns his life around becomes this amazing musician. But as a character, yeah, he could have been annoying. He really could have. It's really a fine line. I thought he was good because he's the one that pretty much he gives the audience the information.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: He's letting us as audience know who the players are and what they do. And I did find it odd that right away he tells O'Brien what he did. Oh yeah, I firebombed Bowling Alley, killed three people. Unfortunately was the wrong people. Like wow, that's very forthcoming. But that's who he kind of is the actor himself. He's only done four movies. I think this was the second one, and he is probably the weak of everyone in it. There are a couple of lines that he delivers them like h right. But I did like him. I like the fact that social Butterfly could not handle being an isolation. He needs to be around people. So I did like a But yes, I do think he was the weak link, right, But as an audience, we need him, we need to know what's going on and everything we find out is through him.
Speaker 2: That's right, because he's been there for a while. So that's a great point, and I totally agree with you. I think he is the weak link as an actor. I had an issue with his performance at first, but like you said, this is the interesting thing about this movie. I actually became more and more invested in him as the movie goes on, and I think he plays it in a way that is forced. He's a young actor. It seems he's playing the character. He's playing at it instead of being the character, if that makes any sense, And it makes total sense from my point of view watching it, because that's who he would be. He would be putting on a front the entire time. He would be trying to be bigger than he is because he's small. So as it went on, I was like, oh, you know what, I actually buy this performance. Maybe it's by happenstance, like it's by mistake, like that he's not a very good actor, but because he's playing at it the whole time, it's like, yeah, that would make sense. Is this young guy that he's just got to put up a front, he's got to put up he's got to be try to be bigger than he is the entire time. It's a weird thing about this movie. But moving on, I don't want to spend too much time. But it's just like going down this cast list. Isi morales Man, what can you say? I love this guy. I've always loved him. He's been in our lives for so long. What a great head of hair, That's all I'm going to say, first and foremost perfect? Right, yes, obviously still kicking ask the guy literally does not age. I don't know it. He doesn't. He looks the same outside of his gray hair. I don't know how he doesn't. Back in the eighties he was in LaBamba, of course, and then a couple episodes of Miami Vice between eighty five and eighty seven. So good to see him here in this as the main antagonist. He's outstanding. He's a handsome guy, really handsome, has always looked the same.
Speaker 1: Yep, he's really good. He doesn't fall into the stereotypes, and he commands the room. He's in charge of their gang, right they have in Chicago. In a way, we're supposed to be rooting against him, or in a way rooting for him, because O'Brien killed his brother so he has a reason to be vengeful. But then he turns around and rapes O'Brien's girlfriend. Oh it's oh shitty. So it just makes them terrible. But why am I invested this guy? He's a bad person. We've seen him already kill someone, rape someone. Should be like O'Brien, just fucking kill him call it a day, yay, But no, I want to know what's going on with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great point. So this is the question, right, why are we investing in these characters? Because this is really really a dark movie. So we're watching Mick O'Brien, Sean Penn's character, and he's dealing with a dysfunctional family. We see him at home, it's a broken home. He has no father figure. Then we see Issi Morales as Paco Moreno, who's supposed to be the main antagonist. But we see his family situation, and we see how much he cares about his younger brother, about his mother. We see his family, although he's clearly a drug dealer and he's going down the wrong path, but we are immediately somehow empathetic to his situation or investing in because of we can see inside that family situation, and it's not an easy thing that he's dealing with. And that's the other thing is like, we see these kids, it's really hardcore. We see them in the high school life, which is the segue to my next actor I want to talk about, which is Alan Ruck. It's really weird seeing him so young in this. I really will always know him as Cameron from Farisuler's day Off, of course, but to see him and then in the high school situation, they're just babies, but then out on the streets they're committing adult crimes and it's pretty rough. But I didn't know if you had anything to say about seeing Alan Ruck, because he's got a good part in this and he's really good. We'll talk about it soon here, but any thoughts on Alan Ruck.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to say. Besides I'm like, holy shit, it's Cameron, that's all they came to mind. And what his fate ends up being that was a surprise to me. What wasn't a surprise. I knew what happened to him, but still seeing it happen was a surprise. Wow, good guy Cameron from Paris Bueler Here he is kind of part of a gang also it blew my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's great. I'm just gonna give a couple more shout outs. One being the standout for me in this film was Rennie Santoni playing counselor Ramon Herrera. I recognized him right away. Spoiler alert. I'm going to talk about him later. Anyway, I thought he was really solid. He kind of was the anchor in this. I don't know, he was the grounding factor in this. I just really enjoyed how he dealt with make O'Brien's, you know, the Sean Penn's character, and then Paco after that, but everybody in the juvenile detension facility. I just wanted to give him a shout out. And then moving right on to Ali. Sheety here she is in this. I think she was under used in this. I have a little bit of complaint about that. I'm not sure. I wished she had a bigger part in this. In a way, I understand why she's in the film and the purpose she has, but in a way would have liked to seen her have a little more to do. I don't know if you had any feelings about that.
Speaker 1: I kind of thought the same thing as you, was like, oh, I'd like to see her more in this because you really don't see her in the third act, but it's how do you put her in? Then we have scenes where she's going to visit and like, eh, I don't need to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I had a theory, man like if we shouldn't be doing this, but we can't help, but do this is rewrite the movie in the way we would like to see it. There's a different version of this where mixed journey. You know he's going through hell, but it's to get back to her. Like there's a love story at the center of this, but you can't really focus on it because obviously he's in in Juvie the whole time. But I would have liked to have seen him go back to that. I actually had a question for you. Here's a question. It's one of my additional questions. I'm gonna step on it right now. So towards the end, we know there's going to be this climax between Mick and Paco. That's Sean Penn and Isai Morales. We see Sean Penn in his bomb and he has the photo of j C. That's Ali Sheety's character, his girlfriend and he lights it on fire, he burns it. What do you think that meant at the.
Speaker 1: End, I thought it was he thinks he's going to die. Yeah, and he's pretty much saying his goodbye to her.
Speaker 2: Okay, I agree. It was his way of saying goodbye. He thought it was over, he had to let go. It was a way of letting go. But that was really really upsetting real quick. Just talking about the background of this movie, which is the juvenile correction facility system itself. I mean, there's so many aspects of it. Walking the gauntlet when they first arrive is absolutely brutal. They're getting spit on. You learn about the point system. Does the point system even work? We learned terms like barn boss, critical offenders. All these so called supervisors in the system are absolutely useless outside of her era. In my opinion, it's pretty stark. But I thought it was a very very realistic view on that and take on that. I thought it was well depicted.
Speaker 1: I agree with that also. And just going back to Ali Sheety's character, mm hmm. I think the thing that was here she is with O'Brien, he's in jail. Well, she has that conversation with her dad and the dad basically says that he kills someone. Yeah, and she's like, no, it was an accident. That the fact that she still misses him and pines for him, I'm like, oh, yeah, that just explains a lot about today. It's like he's a bad character, but she still loves him, and it just shows love cancels a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's high school love. Also, you nailed it. I mean again, back to the title bad boys. You said it earlier. That's the point is that these are bad kids, their bad seeds and whether they you know, they got dealt a bad deck of cards. Sure, but they've committed some really serious crimes. And that's interesting because we'll talk about a little bit more later because I was looking to see how Sean Penn was going to actually process that, if he would process that, because again, Herrera, the counselor, asks him, hey, how do you feel about what you've done? Why you're here, and if you ever want to talk about it, I'm here, talk to me, and he initially is like, I don't feel anything, But at the very very very end, we see him break down. It almost chokes me up. Right now, It's like, ah, that's it, that's the point he finally felt something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough because with these characters, the system doesn't help them on the outside and for the most part, doesn't help him on the inside. There they've just been dealt a bad hand in life. Yep, it's tough and it's tough to watch it, but it's interesting to watch it too, and that's just what kept me engaged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're in the system, and this is an inside look at that whole, that whole process, and it's it's rough, man. So my last thought here is that I just appreciated the realism. It's wrong, it's rough, it's well acted, it's well directed. But I don't know if i'd ever need to see this movie again to be it's pretty brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is, but I did enjoyed it. I didn't mind putting them back on to watch it again. Good all right, Okay, let's move on to favorite scenes or moments where some of our favorite scenes or moments from Bad Boys and our first two are exactly the same. Yep, you want start with the first one, Yeah, let's let's talk about it. It's the street shootout, it's the uh, basically the drug deal gone wrong. Majorly wrong. So it's intense, it's well directed. It's the build up because we know what's going to happen here. We know that Mick and his friend I think it's Carl, that's Ah played by Alan Ruck.
Speaker 2: They're going to interrupt this drug deal. They're going to snatch the drugs. That's the plan. And it just goes right. I mean it's a shootout, literally, a shootout in the middle of the street, shotguns blasting people, going through glass windows. I just I can't believe. I just remember, this isn't that how you you'd like to go if Bill bent That's what you said after first death right. So it's heartbreaking. And one of the moments too, is what I like about the sequence is it's so frenetic. It's so hectic. When Mick is driving away, when racing away in the car, leaving his best friend Carl behind dead, he's crashing into cars. I love that, absolutely love that. It's totally insane. He's just a kid who's committed, you know. Now, Then when he actually runs into to Paco Moreno's younger brother, absolutely brutal. It's well edited and it's awful. It's hard to even say that any of these scenes in this movie is my favor team because they're all brutal, but it's just well filmed, and you're like, what's gonna happen to this kid now? Because he literally hits that young kid after going off to the side of the road and then driving into it basically an explosion, and it's just it's awful, but it's action packed and it's totally chaotic, and you're like, I don't know what's going to happen to any of these people after this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the chaos in the scene where we have O'Brien and Carl and they just think, Okay, we're gonna surprise Paco and his boys take to drugs and we're home free. And then of course the other gang is supposed to meet Paco's group for this deal. See what the other half of the deal. Yeah, and they interfere and just craziness, craziness stuff. Unfortunately we see on the news all the time, and here it is on film watching it happen and just seeing Alan Ruck get shot twice, Carl and die that was holy crap. And when they did the shot of Poco's brothers standing there right away, I was like, Oh no, you knew what was going to happen. He was gonna somehow get caught in the crossfire and he gets run over brutally and we're on our way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is Chicago, and I love there's a line when the African American gang part of this is approaching in their car right before they see Mick crossing the road with his gun. They're like, oh my god, he's got a gun. They there's a line where they actually say this is a rough neighborhood. You're like, damn if they're saying this is a rough neighborhood, this is a really fucking rough neighborhood, and you get it. I mean, this is what's happened. These are teenage kids walking through the streets with a suitcase of drugs and shotguns are getting pulled out and all that. It's really violent, and this is the whole inciting incident, right, I mean, this is what kicks off all the things to come in this movie. So it's brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So for the next scene that Jason and I both agree on who's one of our favorites, it's when Viking and Tweety get their asses kicked by O'Brien. So when O'Brien goes to the prison, basically the head honcho's there. The barn bosses are Tweety and Viking, and they pretty much rule the prison juvenile.
Speaker 2: I love that Horowitz actually calls them smacks. I had the close captioning on I call some smacks, but they yeah, you are correct, they are the barn bosses, but they have different It's just the the verbiage is just it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: They give you the jobs you're supposed to do there. They harassed, intimidate, and do everything to all these other people in the juvenile center. And both of them just have it out for O'Brien because they think O'Brien has squealed because Tweety has killed someone in the juvenile center. Right, So O'Brien realizes he better do something before something is done to him, So he gets a pillowcase, fills it with soda cans, and Tweety and Viking come into his cell to talk. Basically they're going to kick his ass, and O'Brien strikes first and beats the shit out of Tweety and Viking with the pillowcase full of cans. Just bloody mess and doing so, Brian's now the head honcho of the juvenile Census off, so now he's in a new barn boss because of this. It's brutal, like he smacks Viking right the just busts his nose right away, puts him down. There goes after tweety and just swinging the shit out of that pillowcase. And he eventually gets dragged away and the pillowcase is all bloodied. It's a mess. But you had to do it or else it was him first if he doesn't do anything.
Speaker 2: So this is the trial, and he passes the trial with flying colors in the most awful way. What's the Stanley Kubrick film. I have to ask you this question, though, Jacket. Yeah, so that's the comparison, right, what's more brutal the pillowcase filled with the bars of soap beating up Vincentinafrio or this sequence. Because I was taken aback by this. I was shocked by it, and I knew it was coming because I knew some of the events that were occurring in this film before seeing it. But even when it happened, when he hits Clancy Brown in the face and Clancy Brown screams and you just see the blood splatter all over his nose. He's just busted up immediately. It's like these are soda cans in a pillowcase. He is literally beating the living shit out of these guys. What I love about it is that he doesn't hesitate, which makes complete sense. When Viking enters his cell, he knows exactly what's going to happen. There's no discussion because literally Viking puts his finger on his shoulder and says, hey, scumbag, and Mick is like it's on, and he just swings right around and kicks the crap out of him. I don't know how they weren't killed, and.
Speaker 1: It's right, yeah, this killer be killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have no choice. Very effective, very impactful, Definitely one of the standout scenes.
Speaker 1: Yep, we're onto you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so this is the breakout. I mean, any movie that has anything to do with a jail, a prison, we love a good jail break right. I mean, it's even if it's some bad dudes. This is kind of something I was thinking about. You're always rooting for the prisoner to escape. You just want to see him get out. How are they going to get out right, and it's cool to see Horowitz using the corrosive material to burn through the fence and they make a run for it and they make it, and it's just it's exciting. It's exciting. But the thing about the scene that I like the most is that it's absolutely heartbreaking because Mick has found out that his girlfriend played by Ali Sheety named jayce Is, has endured serious trauma at the hands of Paco Moreno. He raped her to get revenge for his younger brother's death. Mick knows about it, and he needs to see her. He has to see her. What I love about this again, we said this earlier face acting. He doesn't speak one line. When he gets to Jace's house. He goes in this look when he sees her. Her face is completely bruised from the brutal attack by Paco, and he is crying. He's just teary eyed. And it makes me cry to watch that. I watched it again and I actually cried while watching it because Sean Penn is a brilliant actor. At age twenty two, he's living it and to see that she had to go through that as a result of something that he had done. By accident, but still something he had done. Hugs her, kisses her, and then has to go back right back to Juvie. It's absolutely brutal, heartbreaking, bittersweet, wonderfully performed, and barely any lines, barely any speaking at all.
Speaker 1: He just needed to see her, That's it.
Speaker 2: So romantic. It's really romantic.
Speaker 1: And I think he broke out doing he was going to get caught, but he was willing to take that risk. Yeah, and yeah, he's free for all of maybe five hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel bad for Horwitz in this situation because he actually gets caught in the barber way. Oh yeah, gets the shit beat out of him by one of the supervisors, and it's just like God, this movie's brutal. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wagner, what yep. My final favorite scene or moment is when the radio blows up in Viking's face, because I knew this was going to happen mm hmm, and it was Horrorwitz just getting revenge. And we see this throughout the movie. Anyone that fucked with Horowitz, he's somehow was able to retaliate, and he's very good with electronics, and he somehow wires an explosive in a radio and leaves the radio in Viking's cell and you're Viking picks it up and it's the eighties. Used to put the boom box to your ear and he's listening to radio and just the tension, because the whole time, I'm like, Okay, this thing's gonna explode. When's it gonna explode? What are we going to see? When's it gonna explode? So he's playing it, nothing's happening. He goes out to talk to some of the other inmates like, Hey, where'd this radio come from? Uh, it's mine now, blah blah blah, and then he goes back in the cell and he's listening to some more and then it does like a little pop and he just looks at it, and the whole time like, oh my god, just put it down. Put it down. Even though he's an asshole, you know, you don't like it. Throughout this movie, I don't want to see anything horrible happened to him. And then the radio finally blows and then he's a bloody mess and that's the end of Viking. For the rest of the movie. He doesn't die, but he gets made pretty well. But just the tension was driving me nuts thousand percent.
Speaker 2: The pacing is brilliant. It's so deliberate, and it's like, when is it gonna happen? When is okay, Nope, oh it's not gonna happen. Oh wait, it does happen, and it's awful. I love the fact that they give Horrowitz that skill set. Then he's able to fix the radios. That's kind of one of his things. Like he's a technical genius and he uses what is it, like fertilizer or something to yeah, to rig that's it's kind of unique. But that's again, this is what these kids do like and that's very typical in prison situations, right where they have to use what they have, they get creative in order to basically mess each other up to survive or to protect themselves, right, and this is one where he's just getting ultimate vengeance upon Viking, and you make it's interesting when you talk about Viking and you talk about Clancy Brown, because as much as an asshole as he is, there's something about him where you just feel like he's just a big, really insecure dude and you don't want to see him get maimed in that way. But I mean, that's his come uppance. It's not as if he didn't deserve it, but you're like ah at at the same time, it's tough. So yeah, it's a great call man, great scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we shouldn't be feeling sorry for his characters, but but you do still do weird weird Okay, So move on to Swiss Cheese and complaints apartment and what do we call it Swiss cheese?
Speaker 2: Because although this movie is delicious, it does have shive holes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it doesn't have any of those shive holes. We just file a complaint with the complaint department. So do you have any cheese or complaints?
Speaker 2: I've got a few questions and or complaints.
Speaker 1: This has got to be Swiss cheese. I don't think there's any way they would put O'Brien and Paco in the same Yeah. I don't care what the circumstances were. If they had nowhere else to put them, they would not put those two together. Know in their history they we don't have a movie, but they absolutely explain around it. But no way, no way, No.
Speaker 2: You're setting it all up for failure. I mean, that's just there's no way that would ever happen. Yeah, you would do everything to avoid that. M hm, so totally agree. Let's just talk about everything is surrounding Paco versus Mick. Initially, Herrera the counselor, he's too smart to have not seen it coming from Paco fans pendicitus, and it's like, it's the night before he's being transferred. It's too convenient, there's no way that. I was like, ah, Herrera's too smart to play it into that, right.
Speaker 1: I think just overall, the guys who work there are terrible. They're just collecting a check. I was surprised they even have him go to school. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they have that whole system. And part of me was like, do you get points for doing these things? Are you supposed to get points? Taking away? Because he's talking when they check in, it's like, oh, yeah, no smoking. And then you turn over and there's like ten kids are right in front of me smoking, right, and the fact they do the walk and everyone's spitting on them. You're allowing this? Why are you allowing this? Don't tell me this is an initiation. These are kids.
Speaker 2: It's gross, it's awful, and it's negligent on the part of the supervisor. Yeah. I was taken aback by that. Yeah, it was just like we see this in movies, like you know, anything that takes place in a jail or a prison where the supervisors are either being paid off or they're in on it and they're you know, complete, you know, complicit or whatever. But in this case, it's just like, these are kids. What are you doing? Guys? Why are you even there?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: Why is the points system even in place? That was a question I had. Here's another question complaint I had is that we see Mick with the SODACN scene brutally take out Viking and Tweety, but then when he's totally prepared for Paco to enter his cell at the end he's hiding great comes out of the dark and doesn't take him out first and foremost like doesn't literally just knock him out or kill him in that in that moment. I had a problem with that is like, you really are taking Paco by surprise, here's your mortal enemy, and you have an opportunity to just snap his neck and he doesn't, and then this whole fight sequence ensues.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, And speaking of the fight sequence, because yeah, yeah, well Brian does get stabbed in the leg. Fight ends he goes back to a cell that could need some serious medical attention. Where are you?
Speaker 2: That's I haven't read the credits roll. We see all the juvenile detenees return to their cells and its lights out. How about some medical attention for Mick? That's what I wrote down. Couldn't agree with you more. Man, It's like he gets stabbed multiple times.
Speaker 1: Not superficial, Nope, they could be life threatening.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, yeah, absolutely, So there's a little bit with the violence in this there's some It seems like, speaking of the soda can scene, that was my last thing to say, is that he smashes Viking in the face those soda cans, Like we're talking about broken bones, broken nose, broken things, and it just seems like, I know there has been some time passage, but Viking has like a couple of scars on his face. It just seems like he and Tweedy would be really really messed up for a while.
Speaker 1: That worse shape than they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Speaking of accidents, when Mick drives the car, hits Paco's brother and then crashes the fiery fall of flame, how do you survive.
Speaker 2: That that's a full on explosion because.
Speaker 1: You hear someone yell basically, don't go to the car. Right, it was like, how did O'Brien get out?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Not only should he have all those cuts and bruise over his face, he should have second or third degree burns.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a thousand. I did appreciate that he did have those scars on his face. Oh yeah, Like he does look messed up at least, but you're gonna put him in a fiery explosion. He should be like.
Speaker 1: Yeahs until he gets sentenced because of all damage to him.
Speaker 2: Right, it's pretty extreme.
Speaker 1: And then my last thing, how does Wagner still have a job after he beats the shit out Horowitz brutal?
Speaker 2: I hate that part and I hate Wagner when that happens, because I did watch this a couple times, of course, and I saw that coming again the second time, and it was like, because Daniel seems like a pretty stand up kind of guy as far as supervisors, like these supervisors that are mostly negligent, right, he seems to be He and Herrera both I guess, are pretty stand up dudes, I guess, But and he witnesses this, Wagner should be like Noah, he should be fired immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Horowitz didn't provoke him enough to take that beating.
Speaker 2: No, he's a teenage kid. Yeah, you just know, Yeah, you don't do it. We're getting emotional here.
Speaker 1: I know. All right, let's move on. Then let's move on to Hey, it's that an actor?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So in this segment with spotlighted character actor you have seen in many other films, an actor making their big screen debut, or an actor that makes an on credited cameo. It's Hey, is that actor who we choose this week?
Speaker 2: This week we've chosen for our Hey, it's that actor someone I've talked about already. That's Rennie send TONI as Ramon Herrera, the supervisor Counselor. He's a character actor from New York City. Started as a comedy writer. Carl Reiner discovered him and cast him in his semi autobiographical film Enter Laughing in nineteen sixty seven. And I'm just gonna rattle this off. This is all from IMDb. He would go on to offer potent, reliable secondary turns in films, playing good guys, bad guy, serious guys, and amusing guys, alongside such top names as Clint Eastwood and Dirty Harry nineteen seventy one. He starred with Steve Martin and Dead Men Don't Wear Platt in eighty two, that was directed by Carl Reiner. And then of course he's with Sean Penn in this, then Richard Pryor and Brewster's Millions in eighty five. This is what I know him from, actually is he starred alongside Sylvester Stallone and Cobra in eighty six. I remember him being his partner in that, and then Gene Hackman in The Package in eighty nine. He was alongside Howard Stern in Private Parts in ninety seven, and more recently Sandra Bullock in Twenty eight Days in Two Year two thousand and Coolio and Gang Wars in two thousand and four. In contrast, he also broke into the voiceover business and provided expert characterizations wherever needed. He offered his vocal skills in Eddie Murphy's Doctor Doolittle and Doctor Dolittle too. So Tony did pass away in twenty twenty from throat and lung cancer. Again, he was the standout for me. I thought he was, outside of Sean Penn, probably the best actor in this movie. I mean Eastsi's great too, but there was something really uh empathetic about him where he genuinely, in moments wanted to help or be there as a And I think that it's alluded to it in the movie too, is that he was a former gang member. Maybe I just read that in the research. No, he says that he does say that. Okay, yeah, but I really liked him in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did like and he seemed the only one that still cared. So I'm like, oh, he must be new because compared to the other prole Jesus Christ. But it was driving out the wall. I couldn't think of anything he was in and Sous said dirty Hary. I was like, oh, Jesus, come on, man, I should have known that from the get go.
Speaker 2: Yeah for me, that's funny. Yeah, totally. I think about that too, And then yeah, Cobra for me. But I think he may have been the only like character that had some redeeming qualities.
Speaker 1: I guess I agree, all right. Time to move on to facts and trivia. Where are some facts in trivia we have about Bad Boys?
Speaker 2: Rick Rosenthal, director says Matt Dylan wanted to play the lead role of Mick O'Brien, but the director was reluctant. He cast Sean Penn on the basis of a reading quote. Although I'm crazy about Matt Dylan as an actor, I thought he'd already done the role in My Bodyguard, which is exactly what I thought when I read this quote. I was also afraid that the audience might be conscious of a new movie star, where with Penn, they'd only be conscious of the character Mick. The director said, Penn is a very good actor obsessively, so he went into character for the whole shoot and stayed there, had a real wolf's head tattooed on his arm, checked into hotels as Mick and the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I can see Matt Dylan in.
Speaker 2: This totally, but I also understand what he's saying is that, oh, yeah, exactly, he's already a movie star. Like you see Matt Dillon and it's like, oh, he was great in My Bodyguard as the bully, and he'd be perfect in this movie. But then you're like, oh, you're seeing the movie star instead of a character. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, while filming the escape scene, Seanpenn broke an ankle, which halted shooting for three months. And I was thinking that too. When they were running. I'm like, all right, who's going to fall? You always have to have the fall. I was not expecting Horowitz to get wrapped up in barb wire. So yeah, that terrain was rough for sure.
Speaker 2: Let's just keep talking about Sean Penn, the youth thug Mic O'Brien. Sean Penn wanted to have his perfect teeth filed down and capped with ugly tops and have maybe a few cracked ones, but Penn's mother, a dentist's daughter, intervened, ruling that ruining perfectly good teeth is definitely going too far. Sean Penn method already at twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like two, come on, one or two other movies, right, what's going on here? Oh? This was driving me nuts, Jason. So I'm watching the movie and we're introduced to Warden Bendix, who's played by Tony Marcus, And the whole time I'm watching the sky, I'm like, I've seen this guy in something else and he's had a mustache. And then I'm like, oh, he's the judge from the Untouchables. So I look up his credits. There's no credit for him being in the Untouchables.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like that's weird.
Speaker 1: I'm like, he looks exactly like him. So I go onto the IMDb page for The Intouchables to figure out who played the judge, and it's Tony Marcus and I'm like, what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, guess what.
Speaker 1: It's Tony maccus Senior who plays the judge in The Untouchables. And it's Tony Marcus Junior, who plays Warren Bendix in Bad Boys. Talk about how close the two of them look together, and the and the movies are four years apart, so he looks like he would be old enough to play the judge in the entires. That blew my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but good on you to catch that resemblance.
Speaker 1: Man, Oh, because every time I look in Mike, I'm like, I've seen him as something, but he had a mustache in it and I couldn't remember what it was. And then it wasn't until the third viewing that I finally caught it. And then I was like, oh, that's him, and I looked at up and I'm like, it's not him, What the fuck?
Speaker 2: Love that? Absolutely love that I was watching this Bill Bannon. As I said earlier, this movie was. I was like, this is freaking depressing, and it's so depressing that later in I guess this is towards the third act of the film, when you have Viking and Paco taunting both Mick and Horowitz while they're watching the television. I was like, oh my god, even this black and white movie they're watching is depressing. What is with this movie? Well, the movie that the boys are seen watching is called Kiss of Death from nineteen forty seven. The scene shown where Tommy Udo played by Richard Widmark shoves missus Rizzo played by Mildred Dunnock down a flight of stairs in her wheelchair. At that time, the scene was considered a very shocking. I thought the same. I was like, yeah, it's awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Jason. So the last movie, which is Buck ru Bonzi, Yeah, and I talked about how there was a cameo by Jamie Lee Curtis which I got to see in the version I did. You did not Here we go again. I guess the next movie we need to do is Blue Steel because Jamie Lee Curtis, who was directed by Rick Rodenthal in Halloween two, can be seen as a street walker in the beginning of the movie passing by Paco's friends. So the scene when Paco's looking out the window and has two friends come across the street and there's a lady of the night there. That's Jamie Lee Curtis.
Speaker 2: What is with her cameos?
Speaker 1: It's crazy, I really was in the early eighties.
Speaker 2: It makes sense. I mean, she's amazing, she's yeah, she's gorgeous, she's talented, she's a wonderful actress, all these things. But she clearly made friends and she was willing to do these cameos, which is really really freaking cool. Anything else, No, Well, this, as mentioned, was the debut feature film of actress Clancy Brown, Alan Ruck and Ali. Sheety not to mention Jason Gedrick, who's uncredited. I didn't go back to find him, but I just love that he's because that was again like kind of his thing a little bit, because we talked about risky business right where he has the one exactly. I was like, oh my god, freaking Jason Gedrick, awesome, super handsome guy, obviously iron Eagle and all that. I mean, he has his movies in the eighties, but he was doing the cameos, the or the uncredited roles here early on.
Speaker 1: I think the first time you see him is this bidding and you see him put his head in the frame and pops it out real quick, and there is and there's two other times where you've seen him in the film and I recognize Godgaway. I was like, oh my god, he just the silent cameos this guy. Yeah, all right, we got to get around to Iron Eagle at some point, definitely. Okay, so my last one. So, when Horowitz goes berserk in the warden's office, the warden calls on his intercom Churchill, Churchill, get in here. Two prison officials enter shortly thereafter subdue Horowitz. The one who Horowitz hits with the golf club and then slams his elbow is played by Ted Churchhill, the steady camp operator on the movie. And when I read this, I'm like, oh, this has got to be bs. This is just too coincidental. So I looked up Ted Churchill and yes, he is a steady camp operator and that is him. And I found a YouTube video that he shot while working on Man with a one Red Shoe, and it's called Day in the Life of a steady cam Operator and it's pretty funny. He's going around to the cast and crew talking about like how important it is to be a steady cam operator and what they bring to the film, and everyone just puts them down through while we only hired you because we're just too lazy to do a Dolly track today. Okay. So, or there's a scene I think there's like a football scene. There's all these fans in the stands extras, and he's talking about like, yeah, you know, it's amazing that all these people came to see me work the steady cam. It's actually pretty funny. It's like a twenty minute video just talking about what it's like to be a steadycam operator. But you have Ted Chet herself, steadycam operator, cameo in this movie, and it's not a credit. I looked up his credits and it doesn't have and it shows that he's been an actor in to other movies, but it's not credited for this.
Speaker 2: Love It, Love It. Yeah, these behind the scenes guys, these are the guys that work hard for the money and they make it, make the magic steady cam operators, you know. I mean, God, we've been lucky enough to work with some of our own short films that we've worked on. But I remember back in the day at the University of Miami where it was the Nash cam. Greg Nash, I just want to give him a shout out. I don't know if you were aware of this. When we shot Vitamin C at the Orange Bowl and I was playing the character of hard Ass and Nash developed his own steady cam system, which was basically a weighted system with literally a rock on like a plank, a wood plank to balance out the camera on the other side, so it would so he could move along the stands because it's in the stadium and he's got to do a tracking shot, but he's it's handheld, and it was just the coolest thing ever. I remember that. Wow, Yeah, the Nash cam. So yeah, credit to any all those guys behind the scenes, but steadycam operator Churchill. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: So moving on to box office, Bad Boys hit theaters on March twenty fifth and nineteen eighty three, debuting on four hundred and sixty eight screens across the US. Produced on an estimated five million dollar budget, the film earned just over nine point two million dollars at the box office during its theatrical run. The movie opened in the number eight spot at the box office in a crowded weekend that also introduced five other new releases, Spring Break, The Outsiders, The Black Stallion Returns, Max Dugan Returns, and Eddie Macon's Run. Bad Boys remained in the top ten for two additional weeks and ultimately finished as the seventy fifth highest grossing film of the year in the United States. That takes us two reviews. When growing up in the eighties, we would watch Steak Previews with Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert to hear their reviews and watch clips of upcoming movies. Unfortunately, they did not cover this movie on their show, but Roger did give it three out of four stars. Roger praised the movie movie for its gritty realism, authentic depiction of street gangs and juvenile prison life, and the standout performances from Sean Penn in Eastside Morales. He felt the film's first half was powerful and believable, but thought it lost some of its impact by slipping into a more predictable prison movie ending. Even so, Eber considered it a strong effort and an early showcase for several talented filmmakers and actors. Rotten Tomatoes because it a Tomatometer score of eighty nine percent with a Popcorn Meter score of eighty one percent. It also has an IMDb rating of seven point two. So this takes us to additional thoughts and questions. What are some additional thoughts and questions I had about Bad Boys? So here's the two that stuck with me for this film. The first one, So we have a scene when Mick decides that he's going to break out of prison and Barry's going to help him, and Barry finds this corrosive material that he uses to paint the fence, and the cross of material is going to eat away the fence. The way he does this is they do runs around the yard and he stops and fakes that he has a stomach cramp, pulls a brush out of his pants, and then uses it to paint the fence. Well, he's got to put that brush somewhere and he kind of stuck in his pants. But you can't do that because he had the corrosive material now on it. So where did he hide his brush to bring it back to the prison. I mean, if that thing could eat through metal, what's it going to do if it's on your flesh. So I don't want to know, but you definitely had that question throughout the rest of the movie. And my second question is, so at the very end of the movie, Mick and Paco have a fight, and it's building up to this fight. Once Paco gets into jail and we get to the end, Mick has the upper hand. He could kill at this point, and he doesn't, and he drops a knife, walks off, starts crying, and heads back into his cell. So, as an audience member, here's my question. If Mick kills Paco in that moment, does the movie change for you? Because he is fighting in self defense and it's killed or be killed. So what happens if he stabs Poco, drops a knife, walks off, crying, and walks into his cell, meaning I'm gonna be stuck here forever. Does that change the ending of how you feel about this movie? Or even what if Paco wins the fight and kills Mick. Does that change the ending for you? Or does it not change at all? I think even if he does kill Paco and walks off crying like he does, if he didn't, knowing how where his life's gonna go? I think it still serves the movie because he was actually trying to do the right thing. Circumstances put him in a position that he could not feel like he could not get out of, and he's just going to be, I hate to quote another movie, a bad boy for life. His life is just set up that way unfortunately. So I like he does have the restraint and doesn't kill Paco. I think if he still does it, I still enjoyed the movie as much as I did regardless, So think about it. Let me know what you think. If the ending slightly changes, does it change your perception of the film. So with that we will move on to my rating. So on a scale of one to five cartons of cigarettes, what do I give Bad Boys? And I'm going to give it four cartons? This movie was certainly a surprise. First off, I just want to thank all the fans that suggested that Jason and I do this movie. And I think that's one of the great things about doing this podcast is not only revisiting movies that we loved, but going back and catching movies that we did miss from this decade. And I don't know if I ever want to watch this movie if it wasn't for the audience, our listeners who reached out and asked us multiple times to cover this movie. Shout out to Andy Gordon, who I went to college with. He was one of the first people that said, oh, you got to cover this movie. It was one of my favorites. So thank you for doing that. Thank you audience. Love the suggestions. We do keep a list of everything that you send to us, and we do try to put it into our schedule. But for the movie itself, what I said from the get go, this is a movie about people I do not want to hang around people I did not hang around with the kid and I was invested in and I think I was invested in them because of their strong performances in this This is a side of life that I was never a part of. Side of life I'm glad I was never a part of, and they may be interested to see what they went through. Just high marks for Sean Penn and Issi Morales and Ali Sheety and Clancy Brown. It's really brought me into this world of jail and just how dangerous it is on the inside it is on the outside, and it really left the lasting impression on me. Sometimes you go to movies just to be entertained and to enjoy them, and this one just really impacted me, and I really enjoyed it. If you haven't seen this movie like I had it going into this, please check it out and be honest, I didn't watch a lot of Sean Penn movies growing up in the eighties, but now because of this, and of course you know we discussed Fast Times a Ridgebound High, I'm really looking forward to covering some more of US movies from this decade. So with that, that's a wrap on this week's episode. Thanks for spending some time with us. We always appreciate you listening. If you had fun hanging out in the eighties, make sure to follow the show in your favorite streaming platform, leave us a rating and maybe even a review. For more episodes, updates, and all things retro, head over to All Eightiesmovies podcast dot com. We'll be back next time with another unforgettable movie from the greatest decade in film history, the nineteen eighties. Until then, have an excellent day.
Speaker 2: Thanks for staying up with us. Goodnight world.
Speaker 3: If you want to your juice
Speaker 2: Stop stop