Speaker 1: Have your self unmarry Little Christmas.
Speaker 2: Let your heart lie from none.
Speaker 1: Our troubles will be out of sight. Have yourself unmarry little Christmas.
Speaker 2: Make the Yule Tide game from none.
Speaker 1: Our troubles will be miles away.
Speaker 2: Only if into the magical season that we Christians call Christmas Christmas Tide, getting ready to celebrate the birth of a savior still a few days away. Saturday, December fourteenth, twenty twenty four, before we look at to look back at significant events and people tied to this particularly in history, including but not limited to, these On this date. In seventeen ninety nine, our very first President of these United States, George Washington, died at his home in Mount Vernon.
Speaker 3: He was sixty seventh December fourteenth, nineteen eleven.
Speaker 2: Norwegian explorer roued Umnin Emundson easy for me to say, and his team became the first to reach the South Pole the state. Nineteen sixty four, the US Supreme Court, in Heart of Atlanta Motel versus. United States, ruled that Congress was within its authority to enforce the Civil Rights Act of nineteen sixty four against racial discrimination by private entities. Nineteen ninety five, the Dayton Accords, formerly signed in Paris ending the Bosnian War. The Electoral College confirmed Joe Biden as the nation's next president on this day in twenty twenty, a still disputed election and a very sore subject for many. The largest vaccination campaign in US history began with health workers getting shots. On the same day, the nation's COVID nineteen death toll hit three hundred thousand, according to their official numbers. So also twenty twenty, Tennis Hall of Famer Stan Smith is seventy eight. Today, De Wallace, the actress seventy six. Cliff Williams is in ac DC is seventy four. Former FBI Director James Comy, who cares. Baseball Hall of Famer Craig Bigio is fifty nine, Jackson ra I phone forty, Vanessa Hudgens is thirty six, Singer Tory Kelly thirty two, and DK Mattcalf of the NFL turns twenty seven to day. If it's your birthday, I hope it is possibly the best birthday you could ever imagine, and you to spend it with the people you love, doing the things you love to do.
Speaker 3: And that is truly my wish for you.
Speaker 2: We continue whether in sports on the way, Mametry and Dick are already hanging. It's five forty one on a Saturday, and I'm ready to go, So let's go.
Speaker 3: Seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred WLW sport the long awaited Crosstown Shootout today in Clifton. The doors open at noon, the tip is at two o'clock. The Bearcats have lost five straight to the Musketeers, going back to twenty eighteen. Our coverage begins at one thirty. UCS play by play on seven hundred WLW. The Xavier call you can hear on fifty five KRC TV is only on ESPN plus.
Speaker 3: Louisville at UK.
Speaker 2: The Battle of the Bluegrass in b ball three point thirty is coverage beginning on ESPN fifteen thirty. A five point fifteen tip next week for the Wildcats, who were fifth rank. By the way, The border battle with Ohio State, one of the greatest traditions in college football, continues today at three pm in Landover, Maryland, when Number eighteen Army takes on Navy. The game's on TV on CBS, just in case you were interested, and the Bengals and Titans coverage right here on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage begins early tomorrow the one o'clock kickoff from Nashville, Tennessee, as the Bengals struggle to remain even remotely relevant in the AFC playoff picture. They are five and eight. The Titans have only three wins on the season. And for those of you who care about such things like who players have signed with as far as agents, T Higgins has signed with his buddies agent and buddy being Jamar Chase Rocky Arsenal yesterday.
Speaker 3: You may or may not have heard, and that.
Speaker 2: Will grease the wheels perhaps for a deal with the Bengals for next year. We shall see. It's five forty four seven hundred WLW boo boom, boom boom. Listen, we're eleven days out. I can be in the Christmas spirit if I want to. You may have been listening to Christmas music for the last month and a half, but here we go.
Speaker 4: Santa Baby, just slip a sable under the tree for me. Been an awful good girl, Santa Baby, So hurry down the chimney to night.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, our Christmas Vixen Earth a kit coming back on a Saturday morning it's five forty eights, Santa Baby.
Speaker 3: And why not.
Speaker 2: Bring in our own earth a kit from Florence Park Care. The One and Only Patricia Lynnette Mama Tree, Mama Tree, Mama Christmas Tree.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Mama Christmas Tree.
Speaker 6: Hey, I'm sitting there holding and now my colored two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: You colored gnomes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, its face is pink and noses white trimmed in pink.
Speaker 3: Now, how do you listen?
Speaker 2: I know, I know that you have problems with your vision, with your vision, so how do you know?
Speaker 3: How do you how do you know what color he is?
Speaker 6: I do it visually?
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, I have a vision.
Speaker 2: You have a vision. It's great.
Speaker 6: Yesterday I decorated gingerbread house. Oh yeah, I put little silver balls around the windows and big up Greek gummies on the end of each roope. And uh, it's real pretty mented chocolate chips around the side and speak silver balls and it's pretty.
Speaker 2: It sounds festive, it sounds really really seasonally sensational.
Speaker 6: Now I got sing it some for los my boy. All right, I love Jesus. Let me see hive Jesus. I do I have my head gray high? I love Jesus. I love Jesus, I do our God's girl, and I love Jesus. I say time, We're gonna tear your keendom down, Satan. We're gonna tear your keendom down. We're gonna tear them oh walls down. We're gonna run you on our town, Satan. We gonna tear your kingdom down. Amen.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 8: That was beautiful and Christmas?
Speaker 6: Yet? How isna do all the night yet?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 3: Next week could be the time to do it, plom Tree.
Speaker 6: Well I should have it by Yeah. I lost my life stitch yesterday.
Speaker 9: You what some.
Speaker 6: Country am and my teeth where they had to recut 'em out? Yeah, of them and the life uh stitch came out about four fifteen some more than million dollar? Am you know better? Today? I lost it. I was ditch no bamda labn't in my first surgery. Yeah, this time it was in there twenty three now twenty one days, three weeks and they foos come out.
Speaker 3: Three How does your jaw feel?
Speaker 6: I feel great, it's kissable.
Speaker 3: Now okay, good, good to know we'll be out soon. Merry Christmas, Marry Christmas.
Speaker 2: Love you love you too, Mametry checking in. I can't wait for oh, Holy night. Next week Dick is hanging on the line. We'll talk to him momentarily on seven other WL. Time for Dick, Got time for Dick, I got time for Dick. Five to fifty five.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Dick, Good morning, Good Jeff.
Speaker 3: How are you doing fantastic? How are you and my friend?
Speaker 10: I'm doing good. I'm doing good.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: Let's see here. Uh Dave from Dayton wants to know. Yes, if you can do.
Speaker 2: Hey, Uh, you and the a few of your Beaver Creek Strummers friends can do a short Christmas jam next Wednesday at Lady Lynette's Mama Tree, Florence Park Nursing and Rehab.
Speaker 10: Uh Wednesday, let's do what's Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Wednesday?
Speaker 11: Is we have?
Speaker 10: Uh Wednesday on the stummers are gone? Now I had to play a concert.
Speaker 9: Uh Tuesday I had What do you mean they're gone?
Speaker 10: I mean we we we cut out for a couple of weeks for Christmas in the band, and Uh, I don't even know if I have practice Monday.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 10: Uh, you know we're all.
Speaker 2: What you're saying is I know what you're saying is you're you're unavailable.
Speaker 10: No, I could listen, I can come down there. I got music. I've got my yuke, I've got a book. I'll be glad to come down there.
Speaker 3: All you need is music, and all you need is a yuke and a book.
Speaker 9: Ook.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I can play. You know, I got some Gultmer songs to play. If you know I'm a bailable you know I could do that.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 2: So Dick is always ready for action. Yes, yeah, good so, Dave, I hope you're listening. You heard that.
Speaker 3: He also wants to know.
Speaker 2: Yes, who wins the Crosstown shootout between Xavier and UC.
Speaker 3: I say, you see, you see all right?
Speaker 2: And do the Ngals do they go into Tennessee? Do they go in to Nashville? And do they win against the Titans or not? Give me a prediction, a Dick pick.
Speaker 10: I wanted to go thirty one twenty four.
Speaker 2: Bengals thirty one twenty so a touchdown game. Yeah all right, yeah, I love that. I love that surety in your voice.
Speaker 10: Jerry Gift, I don't I think the Dolls, murs and the Yuka level the Christmas songs are just I mean it just everybody they hit their senior citizen clasped and danced, and I mean it's just beautiful music. We did even Christmas songs, you know, like Hawaiian style. But I was back there doing oh like rocking around the Christmas tree and they put the mic on me out. It was a lot of fun, buddy.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a blast, Dick. I wish i'd been there.
Speaker 2: Listen. Uh. I'm sorry that our time is up, but it is until next time, and I hope to see you soon.
Speaker 9: All right, Yeah, all right, by Bud.
Speaker 3: Bye, take good night, Say good.
Speaker 9: Night, Dick, good night, good night, Dick.
Speaker 2: There is five point fifty eight on a Saturday morning day from Harrison on the Way on the Saturday Morning.
Speaker 3: It is into the first official hour.
Speaker 2: We actually made it of the Saturday Morning edition for this Saturday, December fourteenth, twenty twenty four. Gary, Jeff Walker at your service. Back together again on the weekend fun doing Willie's show yesterday, and I have a nightcap coming up this coming Monday from nine to midnight, my interview show. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy bringing it to you. I wanted to let you know that my friend Rick Robinson, may have heard on the air with me, is going to be in Verona Vineyards today hosting book Time and good Wine with Rick Robinson from three to five this afternoon. He'll be signing his latest book, nineteen sixty eight. Have several of his political thrillers there as well. Remember nothing says I Love you at Christmas like a book autographed by Rick Robinson. Oddly enough, that's what he wrote, just so you know. But anyway you want to go see my friend Rick Robinson, that would be the place in time to do it this afternoon, Verona Vineyard from three to five this afternoon.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's Dave time.
Speaker 11: Remember when you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to leave because I go book.
Speaker 3: Sir, Well Dave from Harrison Dave.
Speaker 2: Good morning, good morning, How we're doing doing fantastic? How are you my friend? Good good?
Speaker 11: If it gets too much better on it to hire somebody that helped me.
Speaker 2: Enjoy you know, no doubt about it. Yet I can actually understand what you're saying this week, which is a plus. Definitely, Hey, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave, Yes, what would you call Santa if he got stuck in the chimney? Crisp Crisp Kringle chrisple, crisp, cringle. What do gingerbread bread men use when they break their legs? Candy canes?
Speaker 3: Come on? And what do you get? What do you call an obnoxious reindeer? Rude off?
Speaker 5: Rude off?
Speaker 2: What do you got? What do you got?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 14: What's the best Christmas present in the whole world?
Speaker 3: Our Savior Jesus Christ?
Speaker 14: There you go, so I guess it would be the second best.
Speaker 2: What would be the second best Christmas present?
Speaker 11: A broken drum?
Speaker 8: You just can't beat it?
Speaker 11: Okay?
Speaker 2: How do you scare us?
Speaker 11: My man?
Speaker 3: How do you scare a snowman.
Speaker 14: With a hair with a hair dryer?
Speaker 2: Don't point that thing at me, it's loaded, Okay, go out?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: And what's every parent's favorite Christmas song? What's every parent's favorite Christmas song? I'm stumped, Dave Tolley?
Speaker 8: That would be sighent Night, Holy Night, Dave.
Speaker 2: Yes, Dave, You're gonna get some cold in your stocking this year.
Speaker 15: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time. We deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, feeling it finally took me all the way to December fourteenth. Now I've got to figure out Christmas shopping for christ to two point zero and I've got eleven days, so it's all right. She's not up yet. She thinks that I've got it all planned. It's all hidden away somewhere. Won't she be surprised? I wanted to also let you know, and thanks to Dave Backrath from Dayton for reminding me. If you love the lady Lynette or we now call her Mametry and would like to send her a Christmas card, the address where she lives is and you just address it mam Tree sixty nine seventy five Burlington Pike, Florence, Kentucky, four one zero four to two. I know, I know, give you time to grab a pen, Mamitree at sixty nine seventy five Burlington Pike, Florence, Kentucky, four one zero four to two. If you didn't get it, feel free to call Dave. He's answering the phone today. He loves to have something extra to do. Old radio Rick, Good morning, How are you?
Speaker 14: Good morning, Carrie?
Speaker 11: Jeff.
Speaker 14: Well, I'm hanging in there, but this radio is doing more than hanging in there. You're coming in five by five by proxy though you're being.
Speaker 2: Received with What do I mean? By proxy?
Speaker 14: Means I don't have anything on the bench that I'm going to brag about or already haven't bragged about. All right, all right, this is a Toledo Steve radio that he is particularly fond of. It's from nineteen forty. It's a Western Royal model W six D eighteen And for those of you playing at home, good luck looking that one up. But I'll explain in a moment. The six two BAM radio. It's a nice wood cabinet RF stage. It's a hot receiver, was it ever, It's got six preset station levers and well Western Royal was the Western Auto store. Yeah, high end line and not common, but they didn't use that. It was usually truetone or if it was the bottom of the line, it was playmore where the lines that they sold, of course, like Series and everybody else they didn't make their own radio. It was probably made by Belmont. But nonetheless, this radio is actually a truetone model D twenty fifteen, but it's pushed into a wood cabinet in a very nice one.
Speaker 3: Which makes it a Western Royal.
Speaker 14: That's exactly right. Oh, but let's go to the catalog, shall we?
Speaker 3: We should?
Speaker 14: And I'm sad to say that, being from nineteen forty, my grandparents probably never sold one of these because I don't believe they bought the Western Auto Store in demmer Scott of Maine until post war, so.
Speaker 3: Anyway it could have been, could have been back inventory.
Speaker 14: You never know, you never know. I just had to notice in the catalog in this page there's three radio shown at the cost of twenty two ninety five, sixteen ninety five, and nine ninety five, which would be five hundred and twenty, three hundred and eighty and two twenty five respectively.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Sorry, but every radio is pictured with an ashtray in front of it. And if you're going to buy the twenty two ninety five radio, it's got an ashtray with a rack of pipes in front of it and a nice lighter. It is sixteen ninety five radio. The ashtray has a single pipe leaning on it and a pack of matches. Looks like from a hotel the radio.
Speaker 3: No hold on the radio had an ashtray.
Speaker 14: No, no, no, just in the pictures.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, okay, all right.
Speaker 14: Placement, I guess. And the nine ninety five radio has an ash tray with just the butt of a cigarette. And really, so.
Speaker 2: That's how they were demarking how important each radio was.
Speaker 14: Indeed, or your class level?
Speaker 2: I guess are you saying, Are you saying that the playmore models were the butt of Western Auto's jokes?
Speaker 14: I am now, okay, So this radio is excellent for travelers, offices, sick rooms, et cetera, as well as small apartments. All right, okay, sick rooms, not healthy rooms. Gives excellent reception on local or chain broadcasts. Now what a chain broadcast I'm assuming network. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 2: Would be a guy at a radio station who was a chain smoker.
Speaker 3: That would be a chain broadcast.
Speaker 14: That would be everyone to night.
Speaker 3: You're right, pretty much.
Speaker 14: Tony's clear and pleasing lacks entirely that metallic twang found in many low priced sets.
Speaker 3: The last thing you built metallic tweet.
Speaker 14: It sounds like this sounds like my date, sturdily built with parts of the finest tested quality. It incorporates.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 3: You don't need to go anymore, Rick, You really don't. This is this is.
Speaker 14: Enough, Okay done, I'm out my crop.
Speaker 3: Old radio Rick at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to find out more about that beautiful piece of furniture that you wish operated again called a radio, it's six twenty one.
Speaker 16: I'm toasting you, sin honey, we may be through you never care me comp no risky plays.
Speaker 2: As we wake our every Saturday morning trek eastbound down fifty two to the lovely village of Ripley, Ohio. How now Brown County. It's a gang at Brookies on Main Street in Ripley and they're rearing to go at six point thirty five on a Saturday morning.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 2: We've seen these weird lights in New Jersey and other places around the country, and nobody knows what they are. The government had no explanation except to tell you that there's no security risk. If they don't know what they are, how can they tell us there's no security risk posed by these lights in the sky?
Speaker 3: So I wanted to question for you guys.
Speaker 2: Since you're out there a little ways away from the city in Ripley, in beautiful Brown County, Ohio, on the Ohio River at night, there are less lights around and so you can see more of the sky.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, so you've got a good clear view of the sky. Have you seen any strange lights lately in the night sky around Ripley?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Just Christmas lights I saw.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean those can be strange, especially when these people put together these forty thousand light displays that are blinking and flashing with the inflatables, and I love it, but I mean it's it's a little weird. You gotta admit it's a little weird. So I have a question. What, Yeah, what were you going to say?
Speaker 17: Well, if we did, if we did see anything strange, there's no police to call, so the.
Speaker 8: Like teach it.
Speaker 2: I have I have another question. And some people can see these with the naked eye, believe it or not. Have you ever seen the rings around your rainus? You'll probably share, You'll probably need You'll probably need a mirror or two.
Speaker 3: What's going on at Brookie? What's going on? At Brookies this.
Speaker 8: Week to night eight pm.
Speaker 17: The party tones will be played. The party Tones, yes, so when you hear him at eight o'clock you'll.
Speaker 8: Know to be playing.
Speaker 17: And then Wednesday seven thirty, the Queen of hard Strawing is up in the one hundreds. Now it's at least one hundred point one hundred and two point five thousand.
Speaker 3: So it's over one hundred thousand dollars the Queen of heart Struck.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's it. Closer to a hundred and five by Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah. Well, you know it's like the powerball of the mega millions. They always tell you there's a number. By the time they actually draw it, it's it's actually higher because people keep buying tickets and the like, So you don't know, you know, good, don't know how high it's going to get. Kind of like a.
Speaker 14: Buzz change for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Wasn't oh no doubt about it. And believe believe you me, the Walker household needs it badly.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: It's kind of it's kind of like buzz on any given night that he's at Brookies, you never know how high he's going to get. No, sherry, you got to let you you disturbed me last week when you told me that the weather rock had been destroyed. Has anyone resurrected the weather rock yet?
Speaker 18: Well, I tried to ask somebody if they at least straighten it out. I don't know if I can get out there straightened it out myself or not.
Speaker 6: But the rock is on edge.
Speaker 18: It's kind of folded up, so the the rock is inverted.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, this is this is outside of the ranking House. This is the only landmark that Ripley has. You really need to go and get somebody to fix that sucker.
Speaker 18: I know, I know they have to call in, you know, somebody from Cincinnati to set it up.
Speaker 6: You wouldn't be willing.
Speaker 11: To do it.
Speaker 3: I don't have that kind of skill.
Speaker 2: But I know some.
Speaker 19: People, all right, Okay, you know people.
Speaker 2: I know people.
Speaker 8: People show up at the bar and ask to see the weather rock.
Speaker 2: I know. That's what I'm saying. You really need to get on that. This is this is the one one of the few tourist landmarks in Ripley. It needs to be corrected as soon as possible. Listen, as I told my wife when when we got together, I said, don't worry about it, honey, I have people.
Speaker 18: Well, this is River Village Christmas, so there's a lot of people coming.
Speaker 19: To town today where it's the weekend of partying and vendors and all kinds of things going on, as saying to night at one of the churches.
Speaker 18: So it's a big weekend here.
Speaker 20: House tours tomorrow, so there's a lot going on.
Speaker 18: I'll get right on that.
Speaker 2: See if I get it's right, You're gonna have a lot of tourists in town for River Village Christmas. You better get on the ball there, Sherry. All right, I know it.
Speaker 3: I know maybe the beaver can do it.
Speaker 5: Well, the beaver's here.
Speaker 18: She's got her pretty fancy Christmas dress along Diday.
Speaker 2: I bet she does.
Speaker 14: She's lovely.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, have a great weekend. Take care, Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Somewhere searching uh for the weather rock and the rings around Uranus in ripley six forty one at seven hundred W l W. Dreamer, Oh Christmas. I'll take you back with the drifters this morning.
Speaker 11: That's it.
Speaker 2: He's forty seven on a Saturday. Time for a fifty phone calling News of the Week with my friend and your friend. Steve Simon from ATN Ohio, And here we go, Steve.
Speaker 20: How are you doing, Hello, Gary Jeff. Last week, if you folks recall I talked about Pearl Harbor. This week. It's a war correspondent in Europe and then in the Pacific. It starts in the year nineteen hundred in Dana, Indiana, where Ernest Taylor Pyle is the only child born to tenant farmers. Ernie joined the US Navy Reserves in World War One, but he was too late to go overseas. He made it up for He made up for it big time in World War Two. He did not wear a uniform. He was a war correspondent. His newspaper columns about gis made him a household word, always giving the hometown street addresses of the men and women in uniform he chronicled. His stories were carried in over four hundred daily papers in the United States. Published posthumously, Here is Your War. The Story of Gi Joe tells the story of the North Africa Campaign. It was published in early forty five. On April the eighteenth, nineteen forty five, Ernie Pyle was killed by a Japanese machine gunner on an island during the Battle of Okinawa. He was forty four years old. When Okinawa was returned to the Japanese after the war, they allowed the Ernie Pyle Memorial to remain intact, a tribute to the legendary war correspondent, perhaps because every gi in every nation in time would identify with every tale he told. Here's one of them. War has its peculiar sounds. They are not really much different from sounds in the world to peace, but they clothe themselves in an unbelievable fierceness born in danger and death. The clank of a starting tank, the screams of a shell through the air, the ever rising wine as a bomber dives. These sounds have their components in normal life, but once heard in war, they are never forgotten. The memory of them comes back in a thousand ways. Even the sound of a shoe dropping to the floor in a hotel room overhead becomes indistinguishable from the faint boom of a big gun far away that can paralyze a man with memories. The danger, he says, comes in spurts. Discomfort is perpetual, dirt and cold are almost constant. Outside of food and cigarettes, there are none of the little things that make life normal back home. There are no chairs, no lights, no floors, no tables. The velvet was all gone from living.
Speaker 8: There is a.
Speaker 20: Memorial poem written by a Canadian physician serving in World War One France. It's called in Flanders Fields. Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae remembers read poppies, which since have become a symbol for remembrance of those killed in war. Had Ernie read that nineteen fifteen poem when he was a student at Indiana University. He writes, this war is very little like the last war in France. Yet in Africa, too many Americans sleep beneath fields of poppies, poppies so read and vivid that their beauty is strangely saddening. In the last chapter of this book, he says something that should resonate with contemporary Americans who are witnessing our current Second Civil War. Quote, there are days when I sat in my tent alone, and I gloomed with a desperate belief that it was actually possible for us to lose this war. I don't feel that way anymore. Despite our labor strikes and bickering and confusion back home, we are producing at home and hardening over seas. Apparently, it takes about two years for a country like America to become wholly at war. We had to go through the transition period of letting loose of life as it was, and then live the new war life so long that it became the normal life to us. Here's your war ends with this line. When we leave here for the next shore, there is nothing we can do for the ones beneath the wooden crosses, except perhaps to pause and murmur, thanks Pal. There is a simple wooden sign where he was killed in Japan. It says at this spot the seventy seventh Infantry Division lost a buddy. Though not a member of the military, always seemed to be Ernie's family. He was married. He and his wife, Jerry, also a writer, had divorced, then they remarried during World War Two. They had no children. Jerry died several months after Ernie. She never fully recovered from the loss, and either of we. They had both suffered from alcoholism and chronic depression. Their entire adult lives rest in peace. Ernie and Jerry American warrior writers. And that's it for today. Jerry, Jeff Merry.
Speaker 2: Christmas, Merry, Christmas, Steve. I've read some of Ernie Pyle's reports, most notably in the Tri State Warbird's memorial that they have to our veterans that they put out and I will remind you of that a little bit later on. But very poignant, very to the point, and very very reassuring that we shall survive somehow, Ray and Lovelin.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Carrie, Jeff, my brother, how are you doing today?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Have a little foggy brained, I guess.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 11: Well, you're sound and fantastic, and I'm as you know, my my my senior diet coach McDonald's half full. So I want to take I'm taking the high road here. I'm doing my best, and I almost want to say accentuate the positive. You know, last night and I thoroughly enjoyed Steve segment. There is always and his so right and we need to be reminded. And last night I'm going to celebrate some beautiful things, just little things that we all need to celebrate. And you know, able to go to King's Island. They have a Christmas operation out there. They have a you know that they have a singing Nativity. As we leave, as we're leaving their singing, Oh Holy Night. And I drove past here in Loveland where they're going to have a live Nativity scene tonight, and they have it most every year. And you know in the folks here at the McDonald and love and said, Merry Christmas. You know all I need? Here's what I need. I'm gonna put this out because I have not heard, nor have I seen of the Salvation Army. I haven't heard the bell, and the bell still rings from me, Gary Jeff, and I'm I want, I want to find the Salvation Army a bucket somewhere.
Speaker 8: Please tell me.
Speaker 2: I found one on Kickoff weekend a couple of weekends ago at the Newport Kroger, the Pavilion Newport Kroger, which is a wayte for you to drive.
Speaker 3: But they are out there, the red kettles are out there.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 8: Amen, fantastic. All right, God bless your brother all the very best you, Gary Jeff.
Speaker 3: God blessing, Merry Christmas. Ray, thanks for checking in.
Speaker 2: Into another hour the Saturday Morning edition for this Saturday, December fourteenth, twenty twenty four. I'm Gary Jeff Walker, I think, and you are you and that is perfectly fine with me. The Christmas spirit has started to infiltrate my brain and my entire being. And I'm just feeling more in the mood than I have probably all season long. For some reason, odd reason. It's seven minutes past the hour, and I think we ought to do this check in with our environmental engineer and friend, Steve Shulte. How about that, let's do it. See trees some green, red too?
Speaker 4: I seen them blue?
Speaker 2: And I think to myself what I run out?
Speaker 3: The great Satchmo and the great Steve Shulty.
Speaker 2: How are you doing, Stephen?
Speaker 12: Good morning, gear, Jeff, better than I deserve, as always.
Speaker 2: Yourself doing well, doing well, Thank you for talking about the oceans this morning, among other things. And that's all this, all this knowledge and garbage. We hear a knowledge and garbage together, and sometimes it's intermixed, so you can't tell what's what about CO two? But the oceans remove a lot of CO two from the atmosphere, don't they.
Speaker 12: We got some more good news again from Heartland dot org Yesterday's Climate Change Weekly in number five, twenty eight. Headline. The article is oceans remove more carbon dioxide than previously believed, and the journal Nature finds oceans remove more CO two in the atmosphere than previously believe. That's necessitating a rethink of the erth's carbon budget and assumptions built into the models about how the ocean's atmosphere interact. This study was done with the interest team of fifteen scientists from universities and research institutes in Great Britain and the Netherlands, examining temperatures of the ocean at various depths and over various years, and so on.
Speaker 10: And so forth.
Speaker 12: Bottom Line, their research suggests that the Atlantic oceans carbon sinc is much greater than previously believed, and as a result, they conclude quote accounting for this increased ocean uptake will probably require some revision of how global carbon budgets are quantified. Basically, what they're talking about, Gary Jeff, is that the models that we have been using, or that the UN has been using to for the propaganda, have been running and as we talked about this, and this might be one of the reasons why these models and we talked about it have been running hot. That is, when you use it to predict from using past data, run them through the models to predict today's data. They consistently run two to three times hotter, and this may be one of the reasons that that that is so and so so.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons why all the predictions of doom and gloom have been nothing short of just wrong period. End of story. Any here's my question. I think CO two is a good thing. I think we could use a little bit more in our atmosphere. So, I mean, do we really need to budget our carbon as human beings. Probably not. I think the Earth is doing The Earth is doing just fine, taking care of it itself. And real quick nations, which are nations that are not on the dollars standard, are supporting continued fossil fuel usage. Well, we're being told we've got to cut it out.
Speaker 12: Hip in the same peace from the Climate Change Weekly, regardless of climate change, bricks nations announce support for continued fossil fuel. So who are bricks Brazil, Russian, India, China, and South Africa. But now they also have new members Egypt, Ethiopia, Ran and the United Arabics, So I guess it's bricks plus. But they met back in Russia in October twenty second, the twenty fourth for a couple of days, and this was weeks before the UN Climate in Ajabajan. And bottom line, when they came out of their meeting, they said they openly declared that their domestic energy needs and economic well being will take residence over international climate agreements.
Speaker 11: Like the PA.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, and we're out of time, Steve, but I can't wait January twentieth cannot get here fast enough for me. When it comes to this nonsense, we'll be back out of the Paris Climate Accord where we belong, and the UN can go, and al Gore can go. I won't say it. Have a lot, have a lovely day, Thank you so much, my friend. Seven twelve with seven hundred WLW. Time for the Tom Davis tyries. I like to refer to these as the and now here's your reporter with wacky stories from around the country and around the world, the aforementioned Tom Davis Tom.
Speaker 21: Good morning, Gary, Jeff this week, sorry grandma, will that be cash credit or Venmo? But first, an amazing story about some amazingly stupid thieves. A man and a woman in Washington State stole fifteen thousand dollars worth of jewels out of a storage facility and then tried to flee from police in a row boat, which sprung a leak and sank to the bottom of the river. They swammed ashore, where they were arrested. No word on whether or not the jewels went down with the ship. Every vote matters. A tie in a Utah mayor's race between Dustin Ghetto and Paul Glover was decided by the flip of a coin.
Speaker 3: It was best two out of three. Dustin won and will be the mayor of Midvale.
Speaker 21: What a prize, and congratulations to Chad Caruso who just rode a skateboard across the country from Venice Beach to Virginia Beach. It took him fifty seven days, he made it into the Guinness Book of World Records, and when he got to the Atlantic Ocean, he threw the skateboard in the water. And finally, just when you think your family holiday gatherings couldn't get more contentious, there's a new trend that could end in a complete and total disaster.
Speaker 3: Charging relative for dinner.
Speaker 21: It comes to us from the UK, where forty six percent of families charge their guests for food and booze. Social experts say that if you're gonna do this, let your family know, preferably before they show up, but especially before they dig in. I mean, just imagine your drunk uncle's reaction to handing him the bill. Next week, Kentucky man arrested while driving donkey under the influence.
Speaker 3: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: It is rock and roll Archaeology, and today a special countdown list celebrating one artist. Sometimes really big things come in very small packages.
Speaker 7: Uh huh, honey, Ahrahamzim.
Speaker 22: Know things are lucky here.
Speaker 2: Dingsy want tail.
Speaker 7: Nobody secret Baby, are keeping to myself?
Speaker 22: Sweet knows sweet nothing.
Speaker 23: We walk along hand in hand, m.
Speaker 22: Sweet nothing.
Speaker 23: Yeah, we both understand.
Speaker 22: Sweet nothing, but sitting it bad to trying to read my book. My baby, give me that special look. Swee loving sweet nothing.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 2: Going back to the early days of rock and roll. Nineteen fifty seven was her first stab at stardom. She was twelve years old. This week she celebrated her eightieth birthday. We are celebrating the life and music of Brenda Lee this morning. And to do that, the music professor Jim Tarpley, Jim Tarpley, Jim Lebarbara joins in it. Thinking about Brenda May Tarpley, which was her given name, Jim. You had a lot of experiences and a lot of stories regarding Brenda Lee through the years.
Speaker 9: Oh wonderful lady. We got to thank Christopher. Help let's pick this top five out that.
Speaker 2: All my wife said. Reminded. We were talking about what we're going to do this morning. I guess on Thursday night, and Chris, Brenda Lee's birthday is this week.
Speaker 3: We had to do something. I said, Okay, you're the boss, let's go.
Speaker 9: I love Brenda Lee. She lived in Cincinnati for a while. She was telling me, she said, well, you may I lived there. I lived in the Price Hill. I lived in Price Hill and was back in nineteen fifty nine. Her father had passed away, her mother remarried, and her new dad took a job in Cincinnati. He worked at the Jimmy Skinner Music Center, and Brenda Lee performed with Jimmy Skinner at the record store on two Saturday programs and they were broadcast over. She sent over the Newport, Kentucky radio station WNP, and then she went back home to Georgia. And that's when she really got discovered by Red Foley. But the song we just played, sweet and Nothing's that was the first major hit recorded nineteen fifty nine, and they hit the nineteen sixty and the purported guy on the boyfriend on the record happened to be the guy in the backup signals Anita Kurch singers, and he only got that job because he was the closest to the microphone, so I canalin O would do that. Interesting couple of backstories. Elvis Presley huge fan of this song, and according to Priscilla, who met Elvis when he was stationed in Germany during the service, he was playing the record when she walked in the room to meet him.
Speaker 2: For the first time.
Speaker 9: And then when Elvis came back to the States, he contacted Benda leea Nashville and he said, man, I just love that record. Can you send me an autograph copy? And even set a limousine over to pick it up at her manager's office, and she said the office went crazy.
Speaker 11: Now the song.
Speaker 9: If you listen to that song, Branda Lee's voice very convincing. Prince's producer David Ze adapted her vocals on Princes Worldwide nineteen eighty six, had Kiss ensuring that that legacy of Suite Nothing's would live on forever.
Speaker 2: And Nework, Oh the next one on our Brenda Lee list this morning, go ahead, prop yeah, A.
Speaker 9: Little girlfriend down and he is a Kentucky Jackie DeShannon wrote this. It's called dumb dumb, and it became a big million seller for her, and uh, it's a perfect answer for people going through a tough time. You find yourself feeling down. Put this song on at Brenda Lee Bery confidantly things about her transformation, emphasising that she will no longer be a dumb dumb.
Speaker 2: Rock and roll archaeology on a Saturday morning celebrating Brindally.
Speaker 23: A don't tom.
Speaker 11: Dun't tom.
Speaker 23: Well yeah, dun't dumdum a music sweet the lie to play a song? Rat yourma's and your cut your posixtum.
Speaker 24: I want to love you just a little bit mozing dund.
Speaker 23: Don't sing it, don't tum hodarly dum.
Speaker 3: Come on be the dot to be so shy.
Speaker 25: You know that the villain mettelle you are, but you gotta hup.
Speaker 22: I know that it is true.
Speaker 24: I could not be anymore than I did was saying, don't don't don't tom hodiarly dum.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, dum dumb diddle dumb spare no expense on the lyrics. Another big hit for Brenda Lee a celebrator or eightieth birthday this week. The next song is uh, one of those kind tendered boy. You want to talk about the difference, the dichotomy between the hit records she had, because she had these heartbreaking, heart wrenching ballads and she also had songs like dumb, Dumb.
Speaker 3: What's next on our list?
Speaker 2: Jim?
Speaker 9: Well, there's a big film that came out in nineteen sixty Never on Sunday, and the man who wrote the music for it was on Oscar winning the soundtrack Menace as Dikas. He composed the music that was used in that film and also in a movie called The Island of the Grave, and he wrote some kind of a medley, like a medley of things, and he sent to Brenda these management as a tune to be considered for her record, and they translated into English and it came out this song that became a big and multi million selling record for her. And she exploys in this song the theme of heartbreak when she's just like a kid, you know, four foot nine, little girl and loneliness and heartbreak and a very painful goodbye, and she delivered it break up song about loneliness, all lone and.
Speaker 25: All empire ever since. You're goodbye all alone with just a bit of my heart, people all around, But I don't need a sound, just the lonely beating of my holl.
Speaker 22: Noise in Hordy other.
Speaker 25: By holding holy cancler.
Speaker 26: Noisen't kissing other part thinking just of your all alone?
Speaker 25: Am I have a sens you good bye.
Speaker 26: All alone with just a beadle model?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, people.
Speaker 2: Round, Jim, I gotta tell you, I'm throwing your curve ball this morning. And I know that you haven't planned for us to play this record, but I threw an extra in because we had some time celebrating Brenda Lee on Rock and Roll Archaeology.
Speaker 3: I just love this song so much.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna let it play if you've got any thoughts after it plays for a minute or two. This is what I talked about, the ballads, just the heart wrenching ballads that she was capable of. This maybe is one of my favorites, and I forgot about it the other night when we were talking Brenda Lee and I'm losing you.
Speaker 3: Check it out.
Speaker 1: Don't sung.
Speaker 2: Aside for me, don't.
Speaker 23: Come for me, this is good bye.
Speaker 3: I'm no way through.
Speaker 7: I'm losing you.
Speaker 25: Love say.
Speaker 14: Your song for me.
Speaker 25: The thing.
Speaker 14: Brooke wrong for me.
Speaker 20: NIC's art to.
Speaker 3: Me because I'm losing you now, prop tell me, is that a great record or what?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 9: So? Beautiful record?
Speaker 2: Beautiful record and I just had I had just slid it in there since we had time. Seven forty five on a Saturday morning on seven hundred Wlwjim Lebarbera, the music professor of celebrating Brinda Lee on her eightieth birthday week on this Saturday morning, and up next probably the second most well known and popular Brinda Lee hit of all time.
Speaker 3: We'll get to number one in a moment. But tell me about this next song, Jim.
Speaker 9: Yeah, this is really like her signature song. And guys, when you heard this song, you know this girl was like fifteen. She just turned fifteen years old to record the song. And yeah, you really had to think about this because she's fifteen years old. Decca Records really sent back. They actually released this record for him. A few months they were going over the legalities of ni king. Hey, you're saying with such passionate about an affair of the heart and she was a child star. She's four poot I Jink Brendley and sold one hundred million records over the years. Both a member of the Country and the Rock and Little Hall of Fame. But very unique lady. And this song is maybe the first example of the national sound. And the producer Owen Bradley did all her stuff, discussed the ballad and there's too short, it's too short and repetitive. And then in the studio the nextra time, so they recorded the song. They had musicians, they made different arrangements on the spot, with a violinist answering her throughout the vocal. And then there was a problem. The eight bar song was still too short, and she had to get creative. Now she had worked in Vegas, there had to be sixteen bars. She had worked in Vegas with the ink spots in spots, and she remembered the recitations that they would doing songs. So she did this on the spot and she said, yet they all agreed I should speak. So I did a little spoke spoken verse in the song and she slowed it down and her kickup that we heard of the two songs there with Dumb, Dumb and methings. She that was kind of her trademark, so they incorporated reporated that into the song. I feel those os ether thing just took off like crazy. Of course we're talking about I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Well, you're right. You can hear Owen Bradley's fingerprints all over this.
Speaker 23: I'm sorry, so sorry.
Speaker 20: That job.
Speaker 7: I didn't know, lovely so cruel.
Speaker 9: The boot.
Speaker 20: You tell me, I'm miss day.
Speaker 2: Oh a door.
Speaker 20: Her that has been done.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, so.
Speaker 7: Sorry. Please accept my apology. But love is blind and I was too blind to see.
Speaker 3: There you go, straight out of the ink Spots playbook.
Speaker 2: On the fly in the studio, jim Lebarbara, we're up to our most popular Brinda Lee song without This is a song that becomes a hit almost every year.
Speaker 9: Absolutely. I got to say, she's such a wonderful lady. I called her one night and everybody's screaming and yelling on the background. She comes to the phone, Yes, Jimmy, Jimmy, and because I said this is Jimmy, oh with me, they were expecting to call from Jimmy Carter. Who you love that president? She later called me back. I apologize for people acting crazy like that because Jimmy said it but I get elected, I'm going to fly you to such and such a spot for the big party we're having. And then the last time you were begether doing the show, I was backstage and she was like maybe fifteen twenty feet away from me, and I didn't talk to her, and she came over to me. She said, are you mad at me? And I said no, I know so many performers just don't want to be bothered right before they go on stage. She said, Jimmy, come on, I've been doing this for so long, so let's go back ball me day sixty six years ago. Here's this little thirteen year old girl, four foot man, he's this tall, walking into a national studio and recording the song that the guy who wrote it, Johnny Mark's. He wrote a bunch of songs root Off, the Red Nose, Rein Deer, and the Holly Jolly Christmas. But he's specifically told me he wrote this song for Wenda Lee, And she had no knowledge to why Johnny would write this song specifically for her because at the time, she's like twelve years old and she doesn't really have a giant hit record. The recording studio Owen Bradley wants to get her into the mood. He's got his own studio down there and this is Decca Records, and he has a full Christmas recorse set up to get her in the mood for the believer in the perform minutes that she gave and this song. Incidentally, last year, this song became on the pop charts, became the number one record, So at the age of seventy nine, he became the oldest artist.
Speaker 2: To ever have a number one record.
Speaker 9: And it's coming back now. It's still back in the top twenty. Rocking around the Christmas trick.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just oh, it's fantastic. Thanks Jimmy.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you next weekend.
Speaker 25: You the Christmas Christmas.
Speaker 24: Listen pase you can't see every coupable jumps to stop.
Speaker 23: Rocket around the Christmas tree.
Speaker 25: Let the Christmas be here.
Speaker 1: It bring.
Speaker 23: Latter, will have some fucking fire and will.
Speaker 5: Do some cattlely.
Speaker 24: You will get us s a metal feeling when you hear Dosa sing and let me jolly dos with also hot hody.
Speaker 26: He rocket around the Christmas tree, have a happy pology.
Speaker 23: Everyone dancing merrily in the new old fashioned way.
Speaker 26: You will get some little.
Speaker 2: Feeling when you hate it.
Speaker 3: Let's be Johnny.
Speaker 23: The House of Hot Honey, bucking Ura Christmas Tree.
Speaker 2: Have a happy.
Speaker 1: Holiday everyone that's far in the news.
Speaker 3: Shine, Merry Christmas. This is a Saturday Morning edition on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: In get another hour of the Saturday Morning edition for this Saturday, December fourteenth, twenty twenty four, the official kickoff of the college football bowl season. I mean, if you care about the celebration or the is four s Salute to Veterans Bowl, but the big college football game today. The only regular season game on the schedule is the one hundred and twenty fifth Army Navy game. Army ranked eighteenth in the nation. They're eleven and one, Navy is eight and three, and you might want to bet the over on the end. For the first time in years. That game will kick around three o'clock this afternoon. Of course, there is a college basketball in town, the shootout as you heard, between u SE and Xavier, which is you know you see, is like way do to win a game, and they are favored, so Xavier ger will probably win just the way it goes with that rivalry. Here all that action here, Our cupboard starts at one thirty seven hundred WL but time for science might.
Speaker 9: As a scientists surs blinded me.
Speaker 3: And a science minute. Michael.
Speaker 2: You know, I forgot the origins of the name science Mike. Did Mike McConnell give you that that name or how did that come about, Mike.
Speaker 5: Because I'm sure it was just through you. I think you just it just evolved immediately. I don't I don't really recall the exact I know you played that weird science intro.
Speaker 2: And well, I mean you, uh, you had been on the air before, right before before my show, uh as as a sometimes caller, right, uh yeah.
Speaker 5: Maybe a couple of times, but I mean I just really started with you mostly. I mean Saturday mornings was you know, you and me and then working out doing stuff.
Speaker 2: And listen to the radio.
Speaker 5: So I think I might have called Darryl Parks a couple of times about here you go, there.
Speaker 2: You go, all right, well, what have you got for us this week? I'm sorry I sidelined you there, but that's okay.
Speaker 5: But did you have a chance to listen to the brad winstrip with the interview with Brian Thomas on his the five hundred some page I report on COVID came out before we get into a room.
Speaker 2: No, no, I did not. I did not get to hear doctor winstrip on with Brian. But now you've got me anxious to listen to the podcast. Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 5: So a couple of times this year we get into the topic. We had a couple of solar flares that we had the northern light step waight awnt like, and they saw them in Hawaii and Florida and things like that. And it's sadly I slept through him here yea, you know they those were actually weak solar flares and what what what they have studied stars similar to our star and our our our stars at G type yellow dwarf and they what they did They looked at like fifty of the fifty five thousand similar stars in the in the galaxy and that had the same brightness and similar to brightness and temperature as our Sun and try to get the same rotational speed because rotation of the Sun has a great effect on solar flares. So what they found was out of looking at these multitude of stars that twenty to see that and nine super flares of twosand times dred and twenty seven possible stars. So what they what they determined was we thought these flares occurred like once every thousand years, these superflares, and actually they determined it they happened at more higher rate of like once every hundred years.
Speaker 14: And we had that character in.
Speaker 5: Effect super super flare back in eighteen fifty nine, and that was only they estimate would be one percent of a superflair that would be possible to be occur on our Sun, and they anticipated happening, you know, more in a frequent time period than what we were thinking of every one in a thousand years.
Speaker 2: Not every solar flare.
Speaker 5: The difficulty is not every solar flare has a what they call a chronal mass ejection, which is the really the part that really disrupts all your your electronics and everything like that. So these flares may occur but not do that much damage, or if you get them coinciding with a mass injection, then obviously you know have a one percent of only observing the highest one we've ever had. To have something that great hit hit hit here, that would be quite a'd be quite devastating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say, there is the I've always heard the term kill shot from the sun. Yeah, and it would have to be a mighty large coronal mass ejection, which I don't care who you are.
Speaker 3: That just sounds dirty.
Speaker 8: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: Numbers don't help you. All right, Mike, have a pleasant weekend and we'll talk to you next weekend. And Merry Christmas early. How about that? You two?
Speaker 3: You got it science Mike on the show on seven hundred.
Speaker 20: W L W les.
Speaker 3: Cad and kind Charen.
Speaker 2: We try to be positive wherever possible on this program. In one of the ways in which we do that is by bringing the Word of God to a secular radio show.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you can't do that, Yeah, I can't, and we do.
Speaker 2: And Brother Rick Green from Spiritworks Cincinnati here with today's Bible Verse and a little bit of inspiration. Good morning, brother Rick, how are you?
Speaker 13: Very Good morning Gary. I'm having an awesome day. I'm about to take my daughter, have four year old cousin to the show. Then we're going to see the Homeless. I'm having an awesome Sarita, and I woke up praying for you and your listeners.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: We feel it. It's good, just like God, Boston. When God is always good, what have you got for us this morning, brother Rick.
Speaker 13: Today we got Isaiah, chapter fifteen nine, verse nineteen. It said, when the enemy comes in.
Speaker 8: Like a flood, the spirit of the law will left.
Speaker 2: Up a standard against him.
Speaker 13: Ay man, don't pople love that?
Speaker 11: Gary?
Speaker 2: Isaiah is a great book, really is. I mean they're all great, But you think about when Isaiah was written and all of the things that were correctly prophesied, you know in that book. Well you know it's the word of God, so you know it's true. Brother, Thank you so much. Have a great time with Serenity and her cousin. That sounds fun.
Speaker 9: Okay, you guys, have a blessed day, all right, you too.
Speaker 2: Our friend Peter Bronson is joining us. I wanted to give him one last chance and give you a last chance to get a signed copy of his latest book, if it's not too light. It's called Promised Land, How the Midwest was Won, And it's about the very beginnings of the territorial settlement of this part of the country. Uh you know it was it was dominated by Indian tribes, obviously the indigenous peoples, and then the white settlers came here. And this is the just the incredible story of how that all came to be. Peter Bronson, how are you my friend?
Speaker 27: Hey, I'm always glad to be with you, Gary, Jeff, And that little passage with you and Rick, Well, that's almost as good as being the church for present.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's kind of the purpose. So anyway, Pete, Pete, here's here's the thing that people should know. They still can get a signed copy of your latest book, Promised Land.
Speaker 27: Correct, That's correct, And I would suggest ordering this weekend if you can, because we can't rely on the Post Office to get it there by Christmas if we get too fared the next week.
Speaker 2: I think, honest, I think Wednesday is the drop dead day for USPS Ground Service to get anywhere by Christmas.
Speaker 3: So they say you've got to the eighteenth, but really, why chance it?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's pushing it a little bit.
Speaker 19: Now.
Speaker 27: I will be at Josepheth today signing books at one o'clock, okay, And so if people want to come in and shop for other books and get one in person, I can personalize it for them. Also, I'm running a special on my site for free shipping, so that helps out a little bit with your Christmas shopping.
Speaker 3: And that site once again for people's edification.
Speaker 9: Yes, that is Chili dog Press dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, fantastic, Pete. I wish you great success. It's been a fantastic year and you've been a part of it, and thank you very much for that. And we still have some more work to do, you and I on the radio before the year is up. So I'm looking forward to seeing you on the on the twenty third. Yeah, Tod, Jerry, Jeff, we always have a good time together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's my birthday show too.
Speaker 9: So well, hey, that's going to be wonderful then, all.
Speaker 2: Right, promised land how the Midwest was won by Peter Bronson chilidog press dot com. And where are you signing books again, Pete.
Speaker 27: I'll be at josepheth at one o'clock today, all right, and I'll be there for a few hours, So come on bye and say hi, and I can personalize that book for the person you're giving it to.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, sir, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's eight eighteen at seven hundred WLW seven d WLW Sport.
Speaker 3: It's Crossdown Shootout Day.
Speaker 2: Finally you see Xavier Tangle again in their annual matchup this time at UC doors open at noon. Our coverage begins at one thirty, tip off at two o'clock. You see play by play Dan Horde, Terry Nelson on seven hundred WLW, Xavier's play by play of the game on fifty five KRC, Joe Sunderman, and Byron Larkin. The Bearcats have lost the last five straight to Xavier. Maybe this year they get it back. One of the greatest traditions in college football continues this afternoon at three o'clock in Landover, Maryland, where the Washington Commanders usually play. Eighteenth ranked Army eleven and one takes on Navy, who's eight and three this year again, don't bet the under what do I know? Also a big matchup in the Bluegrass at it's the battle with UK and Louisville UK fifth rank. They're in Lexington this time and you can hear of that action three point thirty on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 3: A side note.
Speaker 2: At the Army Navy game, President elect Trump will be in attendance along with Vice President Electtion Evans. Among their guest Pete Hegseeth, who was Trump's pick for a Department of Defense Secretary of Defense, and also, Daniel Penney just exonerated and acquitted not guilty in New York after a trial that never should have happened in many people's minds. Gifts from Wally coming up and Moagger to Talk, shootout and more coming up on seven hundred WLW Good morning kids. Time for gifts from Wally. This is not breakfast conversation. A seven year old and his four year old little brother upstairs in their bedroom getting ready for the day. The seven year old is explaining to his younger brother that it's high time the two of them began swearing. His little brother is on board. He's so excited. Anything big brother wants the four year old is in for. Said, so when we go downstairs for breakfast this morning, I'll say hell, and you say ass year old happily agrees. They're sitting down at the kitchen table. Their mother walks in the kitchen and asks the oldest son what he would like to eat for breakfast. The seven year old replies, ah, hell, mom, I'll just have some cheerios. As soon as it's out of his mouth, she lifts him up off of seat, smacks him on the bottom, and sends him upstairs crying. With a sterner note in her voice. The mother then asks the four year old, and what would you like for breakfast? Young man? The four year old blovers, I don't know, but you can bet your ass it's not going to be cheerios. Oh, this is a great Saturday, great weekend for sports, even if you're not in Cincinnati to talk about it all. Our friend Moe Egger joining in on a Saturday morning like usual, Hey, Mo, what's going on? Well, that's why I have you on, so you can tell me what's going on because I am absolutely clueless most of the time, as you well know. First of in order of importance, before we get to the shootout stuff, MO, why should it matter to anyone other than T Higgins? Who t higgins agent is?
Speaker 11: Well, the agent that t Higgins had has never gotten a deal done with the Cincinnati Bengals, okay, and represented Jesse Bates rather famously exactly never got a deal done. So David Mullagedy is his name, and I don't know if he and the Bengals had a contentious relationship or what the deal was, but for whatever reason, in any negotiation with David mullageda and the Bengals the player didn't sign in Cincinnati, and so I think there's a sense that, well maybe with the change of representation, that there's if you're hoping that T is back with the Bengals next season, and beyond that a different agent with a better relationship with the Bengals, or maybe even with no established relationship with the Bengals could get something done. So yeah, I actually think as this story has unfolded, you know, if you're looking for reasons to believe that Tea is going to come back, changing agents from the guy who never got a deal done with the Bengals is actually pretty significant.
Speaker 3: How likely is it that T signs with the Bengals again?
Speaker 14: We I'm asked this question.
Speaker 11: Well, I've asked this question nearly everybody that I've had on the air this week who covers the team, And I'd put it this way. Okay, Monday morning, you know, before before the game against Dallas, what would you have said the likelihood of Tea coming back?
Speaker 9: Is it?
Speaker 11: Most would say you know, two percent, three percent, And I go, okay, now what is it? And they'll say fifty percent. Look, some things have changed, Number one, most notably the very public thoughts of Joe Burrow, Joe wants him back, Joe has sway. I also think there was the insinuation, I'll put it on Monday Night, that Joe is perhaps open to restructuring his contract. That's not something that we had really talked about during the course of this entire ordeal. I think there's also perhaps this T Higgins is a number two wide receiver. Now, that's fine, that's good. Some of the best and most productive and popular players in this franchise's history. I think you would categorize as a number two wide receiver. But they've got a number one. His name is Jamar Chase. He's the best wide receiver in the NFL. And so what I can't help but wonder is, excuse me if there's been some recalibration of Tea's value from T where he goes. Okay, maybe I'm not going to be able to hit the open market and get one of those top end wide receiver contracts because I'm not one of the absolute top end wide receivers. He's I think fifty fourth in the NFL this season in receptions, forty fourth in yards. Those aren't numbers disknees that, but I think a year ago or two years ago, there was this thought that the tea hits free agency, he's gonna just field, you know, a ton of offers, take the highest one, and be one of the highest paid wide receivers in the sport. I think maybe the realization is setting in that perhaps that's not the case, which maybe puts the Bengals back in play.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and playing alongside Jamar Chase, there are always opportunities for a T. Higgins on the field. How many opportunities do we have for the Bengals to pick up their sixth win of the year tomorrow in Nashville. I think this is the worst team they've played, even worse than the Patriots.
Speaker 11: Worse than the Patriots who beat them, So, you know, be careful, right, But.
Speaker 20: For all of their sues this.
Speaker 11: Season defensively, and there are many, for all of their issues protecting Joe Burrow, and they become more pressing by the week, it's kind of hard for me to imagine that Will Levis is going to be able to carve up the Cincinnati defense the way that some of the other teams have. But I mean, here's what I'm looking up for tomorrow. Joe Burrow is on the injury report this week. He's been on the injury report all year long because of the wrist, but added to it this week was a knee issue because you know, he bet a knee brace on after the game against the Cowboys, took a lot of hits. He's taking a ton of hits recently, and so you know, that's sort of the equalizer there if Joe is hobbled or compromised or just not physically himself. But this is not a very good Tennessee team. They have almost no firepower to speak of whatsoever. And so the Bengals should win the game tomorrow, But there have been other games this season we're going in, I felt like they should win.
Speaker 2: Well. As far as Joe Burrow's knee, and only the medical staff and Joe Burrow know exactly how you know, ambulatory he was on that, but I saw after they put the sleeve on in the Dallas game, you know, he was wheeling around like there was nothing wrong with his knee. Maybe that's adrenaline or whatever carrying him through in that moment. But I think he'll be okay. And by the way, Will Levis, I've seen Will Levis miss wide open receivers in Titans practices with nobody guarding them. Seriously, it's just not a completed project yet. As far as an NFL quarterback in my old hometown, I never became a Titans fan because there wasn't a team there when I lived there in nineteen ninety three. So I have some friends that are there. My parents will follow the games, but I'm Bengals all the way on this one. Let's let's move to the Army Navy game real quickly. The one hundred and twenty fifth meeting of these two service academies. Army is eighteenth in the country and eleven and one. Boy, you know, it's it's a good thing that you see moved to the big twelve so they didn't have to face Army in the act because they would have gotten whacked by the Cadets if they'd had to play each other in a conference football And this particular Army team and Navy's no slouch either at eight and three. This is unusual for the two service academies to come in with this higher profile, isn't it mo?
Speaker 11: It is it is And if you watch both teams, you know you think of Army Navy it's run the football, run the football, triple option, no baby and boot. Yeah, both teams have sort of modernized their offense. If if your audience wants to or if you want to read something really, really good, this is legitimately maybe the best piece of sports writing I've read all year long. There's a piece on ESPN dot Com. Went up on Thursday, so it's I'm sure it's it's still displayed pretty prominently. Yeah, and it's a very in depth look at basically a day in the life or a week in the life of a football player at both academies. It is awesome, Like we all know, you know, those kids aren't are incredible, Like we know that, but I don't think most of us know, like on a daily basis, these are the football players now, you know, so you know, the normal student life at the Naval Academy or at West Point, it's pretty rigorous, pretty demanding, pretty regimented at football to it. It's on ESPN dot com. It's tremendous, and I think we all have a ton of respects for those kids already. You'll have even more after you read it.
Speaker 2: But and it's amazing that they can assemble this kind of these kind of programs with all of that added on to it, and they got the transfer portal and the ni L and everything else that is a part of college football now. And UH to commit to serve your country and to have that commitment after you play, UH, I mean, it takes a really special kind of person.
Speaker 3: There's no question.
Speaker 11: Oh man, it's it's it's awe inspiring. And you know, those kids are not permitted to have an il opportunity, and that's referenced in the piece. And and those you know, the players who are quoted will say like, look, I'm glad the kids at other college football programs have a chance to get paid, but I'm more than okay with where I am right now and not having a chance to pursue those opportunities.
Speaker 2: I've made my decision to serve my country and I get to play football too.
Speaker 3: Bonus win one.
Speaker 11: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's let's go down to the action at UH.
Speaker 2: At you see today, Mo, it's UH the continuance of the Crosstown shootout rivalry between u SE and Xavier. Our action our coverage begins at one thirty. The tip is it to the doors will be open at noon and Xavier's coverage play by play with Joe and Barry or a Byron will be on.
Speaker 3: Fifty five KRC same same time. You have been too many of these.
Speaker 2: Give me your favorite Crosstown shootout moment, ever, you've got a narrow it down. Narrow it down to one moment.
Speaker 11: H you know, weirdly, it's not so much a moment, but the first ever Skyline Chilli crossdown shootout at the Sinta Center. The Musketeers had David West, had a good team, They had beaten Cincinnati the previous two years, and yet there was a sense that a beating is coming. And you know, it was a bear Cat team, you know, two years removed from Kenyan Martin. A lot of folks they didn't know how good the team was going to be. And Cincinnati went there and won by twenty points. Now, as a Bearcat fan, I loved it, but it jump started that team season. That team ended up being a number one seed in the NCAA Tournament. Steve Logan was unbelievable that night, but it remains the most recent Bearcats win at the Cintas Center. So they you know, whenever we talk about you see at the Cintas Center. It's always, well, God, why don't they win all the different ways that they have lost to the Musketeers, But they won the first one and it was awesome, So it's not so much a moment. But I remember the game, and I remember the atmosphere, and I remember the narrative going in and then for the Bearcats to go there and win, and frankly, it's probably the last time. So this is December eighth, two thousand and one, probably the last time that you see won the game as an underdog. Typically when Xavier is supposed to win, they and oftentimes when the Bearcats are supposed to win, Xavier still does. So we'll see if that happens today.
Speaker 2: They haven't once since twenty eighteen, you see. And I gotta tell you, I have a personal grudge that may last a lifetime. And I'm not a person that I mean, I'm a person that forgives because it's just part of my part of my makeup. And I have a problem with Sean Miller and it has nothing has has nothing to do with his coaching or any of the controversy that has surrounded him and the allegations, and it goes back to when Sean Miller was a player. I forget exactly, I forget exactly what year it was, but my beloved Vanderbilt Commodorees were very good. I think Eddie Fogler was the head coach at the time. Billy McCaffrey was the star guard. It was All SEC, second team, All American, and they got to I believe this was the year they got to the round of sixteen, the sweet sixteen in the NCAA tournament, and they had to play Pitt. Playing for Pitt was a punky little point guard named Sean Miller, and Sean Miller literally shot my Vandy Commodores right out of the big games. And I have never forgiven him to this date. What problems do you have with Sean.
Speaker 11: Miller beyond the fact that his team has often beaten mine? I don't have any, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Personal vendetta for me. It's as you see, it's very deep. It's been going on a long long time, more than thirty years, and it has to do with not his coaching, but his playing and him shooting my team out of the tournament. So you under.
Speaker 11: From one thousand percent. I remember Seawan as a player I remember his mullet, and I've brought that up to him. My My biggest is with Sean Miller is he has invited me on his podcast but he has never like solidified the invitation, never given me a date. Uh, And so I'm I'm I'm waiting for it. Perhaps after the game or maybe at the game today, he'll he'll see me and uh and say, hey, let's let's get this done. No, I uh now as again as a UC fan, maybe for two hours today. I'll have an issue with Sean Miller, but he is a terrific coach. He's I think it's really cool that he came back to behavior. I think he still has a chance this season. They have a very good team. And uh, he comes on my show and even though I'm I root for the other squad in town, is always very very giving with his time and insightful and so I uh I I personally really really like Shawn Miller. I hate to say, but he he never is a player destroyed my team. So I understand your perspective.
Speaker 2: You know, I love the pluck of a Billy McCaffrey and I love the flop mop of Scott Droud. Can't stand the molded of Sean Miller and who do you think? Who do you think has the edge today?
Speaker 19: Mo?
Speaker 2: And I know you're obviously with the UC broadcast team, you'll be there. Pretty good chance the bear Cats break this streak today, isn't it?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Eight and a half point favorites at least to start. I think if you've watched the two teams objectively, I think the Bearcats have looked like the better team now. I certainly think there are unknowns because you know, how tested have they been in the games that they have won in a one game that they lost was probably against the best opponent that they have played. I think there's three things about this game I'm gonna be looking forward today. Number One, Dan Skillings for UC came back, hadn't played since the first game of the season, came back last Sunday and played about twelve thirteen minutes and from a productivity standpoint, really didn't do anything, but he looked physically fine. Well, he's going to do more than look physically fine today because he's probably the one Bearcat who can do the most amount of things. He can help them on the glass, he can score, but also last year he played very poorly against the Musketeers. And so what version of Dan Skillings do the Bearcats get today? I think when Zager has struggled in games against Michigan and even South Carolina State and TCU, they had a hard time turning.
Speaker 2: Over the balligan. Mrgar we will see you on the radio. I'm running out of time, Dave. All right, all right, brother, have a great game and enjoy yourself. Counselor what's going on?
Speaker 28: I'm pretty good man. How about you tell me about the show real quick? Okay, got Ken Cober FOP president coming on to talk about a horrible idea of getting rid of qualified immunity for cops.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about that.
Speaker 28: Peter Bronson's going to come in in studio and talk about his new book, and finally Kevin Burton at eleven thirty political consult and going to talk about how everything's shaken out for Trump.
Speaker 2: That sets you up for Saturday midday after the show show at Huddles, we will have the Army Navy game on.
Speaker 3: My dad's a
Speaker 2: Navy alums, so I've got to go with the Midshipman today eight fifty six seven hundred WLW