Speaker 1: Welcome to Dorkying Out. My name is Sonia Mansfield. And you ask me if I have a God complex, let me tell you something. I am God. Joining me is my podcasting sister from another mister and the co host of Dorkey Out, Margot d Hello, my friend, Hello.
Speaker 2: My friend, I'm Bebe Neworth. As a Boston cop. I wouldn't mind shooting you.
Speaker 1: Her accent is uh it's uh, yeah, it's something. Also, she's the only one that seems to have one in this movie.
Speaker 2: We have a lot to do.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes we do. We're Dorkying Out Abound nineteen ninety three's malice, that's right. We are directed by Harold Becker, screenplay by Aaron Sorkin and Scott Frank and h starring Alec Baldwin, Alec Baldwin, Aleck Nicole Kidman, Bill Pullman, Baby new Earth, Baby Newarth, Sorry, Peter Gallagher and Anne Bancroft and George C. Scott. Did you see this in the theater, my friend?
Speaker 3: I don't have any memory of seeing it in the theater. I believe I rented it.
Speaker 1: I one saw this in the theater. I might have seen it with my mom, because my mom loves a nineties thriller. When I told her we were doing this one, she's like, oh, that's a good one. I'm like, yeah, it's Look, if you haven't seen Malice, we're going to spoil this very old movie for you, so you should go watch it and come back because, uh, there's lots to spoil. So let's run through. It shall be my friend. Okay. Opens with a college student goes home. She's going to feed her adorable cat and she gets attacked from behind, and then they cut to a hospital. Bill Pullman's bargein in there, and it turns out she has been beat up and sexually assaulted. And he is like the dean of the college, like an associate dean of the college. So now he's at the hospital like they do, like they do for every student that ends up at the hospital.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean he must have a police scanner or something going. But yeah, it's Smith College. I mean I think it was filmed that Smith. I didn't say it was Smith, but it's a women's college.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and he's like, hey, it's like the third or fourth one that's been dead. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he's talking to baby Newarth bb Newarth. And she's got this accent again the I think the only one in the movie with an accent.
Speaker 3: It's not a Boston accent, by the way, y'all, it's just an accent.
Speaker 2: And she's a great actor.
Speaker 3: She is like she's had Tony's and Emmy's and she's she's brilliant.
Speaker 2: She was Lilith and free.
Speaker 1: Yes, we love her.
Speaker 2: She's great.
Speaker 3: I've seen her in Chicago. She's she's really really good.
Speaker 2: But her accent work needs her accents need work.
Speaker 1: See, I uh wrote in my notes Margot, what do you think of this accent? Because Margo is my expert, Like Margo's an amazing mimic and could do like all kinds of accents. And yeah, this one's a real choice.
Speaker 2: It's it's a tough one, by the way. Boston accents are not easy, and they you know, you shouldn't do that. You really shouldn't do it in a movie unless you're committed.
Speaker 1: Yes, and good God, just make her not from there. That's okay.
Speaker 2: That's you can make fun.
Speaker 3: Of her for having a New York accent, like she's married to something, she married someone and moved up there or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't anyway.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so he's at the hospital, possibly one of the most She's just a complete and income poop as a cop.
Speaker 2: I don't know what this woman does well, I don't know. I don't know. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's just like you know, He's like, you need to beef up security, and she's like, you do you think so? I don't know. You know, we're doing the best we can. I'm like, are you So they're waiting, you know, to hear by the way her family friends. Nah, But the associate Dean is there. He like there and then they cut to the surgery and that's when we meet Alec Baldwin and he's like the hot new doctor at the hotel or the hotel, I don't know where that came from. Anyway, he's at the hospital. He like a real hotshot. Immediately like saves her life and tells off an other doctor like don't you question me in front of the surgical step. You know, he's like very serious guy. Also young Alec Baldwin hot.
Speaker 2: Like he's fucking hot. I'm gonna go let it. Look. He's very dynamic in this movie.
Speaker 3: He is a big reason this movie succeeds in spite of itself. Yes, let me just say this now. I find this movie very enjoyable. Not believable, no, but enjoyable.
Speaker 1: No one in the movie behaves like an actual human being. They all behave like people who are in a nineties thriller, like and that's that's what we want, that's what we want, Like this movie is You texted me and you were like, it's bananas, and I was like, it's fucking bananas, Like this movie doesn't make any sense. So he saves her life. Then he's like in the locker room changing and Bullman like goes into the locker room area and is like, can I get an update on my patient, like an associate dean does? They just go into the locker room at the hospital.
Speaker 3: We're told like this is the third or fourth one, and I think the other ones didn't make it, like it's a serial killer slash essay or yes, so this is and it's happening on this campus. It's not like it's happening in the state. It's happening in a town. Yes, and it's pretty small, and in any other town this would be big news. No press, there's no press, there's no urgency, there's no like, is.
Speaker 2: She going to be okay? What is her prognosis.
Speaker 3: It's just we're meant that whole thing is meant so that Alec Baldwin can like save her from her blood pressure, you know, and we're alls go, oh, god, man, this guy's not shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then as they're talking, Bill Pullman realizes they went to high school together and what a coincidence. So they like chat it up and Alec Baldwin was the hot man on campus and Bill Pullman was not. I find that hard to believe that Bill Pullman was not the hot man on campus. But that's okay, Really you could buy it. Oh yeah, Oh, I think he's so handsome, but I mean he is good at playing.
Speaker 3: It would not shock me if he were incredibly awkward for like fifteen years or something and then be ka hot.
Speaker 1: That's true. Good point, you got me. Then he goes like to visit his wife, who also works at the hospital as an art teacher in the pediatric department. I put question mark, I'm all, question mark, I.
Speaker 2: Don't and I think it's volunteer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she doesn't work, but yeah, she's volunteering, so yeah, yeah, but I'm like, so, I guess it's not like it's her. Yeah, so she's.
Speaker 2: Kids in that room that she's in charge of, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and yeah, uh he talks to her. They're like we're of course. They're like, this is a very Pacific Heights situation too, Like they bought a beautiful Victorian home there that they are trying to fix up. They are newly married. Apparently she used to be his student. Gross, so gross, And it's like the headline on the article that they have cut out in their house in a frame that says like Professor Mary's his favorite student.
Speaker 2: Like it's an enchanting story.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, that's so romantic. He prayed on one of his students on door. That's a me cute. So they're working on their house and they need to have a bunch of work done, so they're talking about renting out like the top floor of their they're super nice home, so they well I shouldn't say they, but yeah, they they rented out to Alan Baldwin, who like immediately moves in, starts banging nurses like all night long, playing loud music, being a real disruptor, I guess. And Nicole Kidman seems very very annoyed with that. Nicole Kidman's character in this movie is very confusing to me.
Speaker 2: She's very grumpy, she.
Speaker 1: Is, but also knowing what we know at the end, things that she's doing throughout the movie don't make sense.
Speaker 2: Or nothing makes sense in this movie.
Speaker 1: Even when she's alone, she's playing having a bad way it does. It's such a fake out this movie, so it doesn't work. But that's why I like.
Speaker 2: That's why I like it.
Speaker 1: So they have their Pacific Heights situation. Now they've let Alec Baldwin move in and Pullman and Baldwin like go to lunch where Pullman like immediately discloses like all his wife's like private medical information to him, like instantly, unprovoked.
Speaker 3: Just well he's a good doctor, sonya, so he can do everything she wants to get pregnant.
Speaker 2: So he's a.
Speaker 3: Thoracic surgeon, so you know that means that he can help her get pregnant totally totally, and.
Speaker 1: It just makes it and she's like, please tell him, you didn't tell my you know, our story and it's like, well, you know, it just came up and it didn't come up. He like volunteered. Did he mean Bill Pullman is such a dope in this movie, like such a dope that we meet Gwyneth Paltrow, young little baby Gwyneth Paltrow.
Speaker 2: Beautiful Gwyneth Paltrow or gorgeous locks.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, she's in it for like five seconds as one of his students that he's meeting with. And eventually, like he's supposed to, she's supposed to show up for a meeting with him, and she does. So what does he do? He goes to her house like associate deans do, right, It just just shows up at her house where I guess she lives alone in this very lovely little house, and he discovers her dead body.
Speaker 2: Well, he also discovers the hair. Yes, and her hair has been cut.
Speaker 3: And we've just they've also established that the person that hurts these women, that's the serial killer, cuts their hair, like takes their hair.
Speaker 2: So he picks up the hairs. God is in his hand. He's just got like, ah, let.
Speaker 1: Me just drag my fingerprints and footprints all over this crime scene.
Speaker 2: Shake my dandriff all over the.
Speaker 1: Place, this evidence.
Speaker 2: Click the door knob and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, leave some DNA over here, and a little over here, and you know, he calls you know, Boston at officer Boston accent to come and immediately she's like, why are you here? And he's like, I was chucking, Like all of these victims have a connection to him, and so she's starting to get suspicious, rightfully so, and she like asks him for like a semen sample and then sends him on his way and he agrees to do it. Meanwhile, like Kidman's like getting these horrible cramps where she's like doubling over in pain even when nobody's around to see it. I mean, they must have been really painful, So it might.
Speaker 3: Be a thing like that. Maybe she really did have those pains. I don't know, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So at some point she like they make it clear that she's got like a medical issue going on and that she has these horrible cramps and nobody can figure out what's wrong, and et cetera, et cetera. Where did they go?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: And then Bill Pullman meets up with Alec Baldwin at a bar and they drink a whole bunch like do whatever, and then he like goes he's going to go home to his wife. But that's when the cop asks him for a semen sample, I think, and so he goes to do that instead of going home, and then she collapses and calls nine to one to one. So she's rushed into the hospital for emergency surgery. And what do you know, Alec Baldwin's going to perform the surgery. First of all, he's drunk.
Speaker 3: He's been drinking, he's wasted, he's been drinking and playing.
Speaker 2: Darts at a bar. Yes, is he the only one they can call?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no other doctor at this hospital. Like, also, if you're on call, what are you doing drinking? But knowing what we know about how the movie ends, there's whatever. He's doing it because he's supposed to write. But so he shows up up. It turns out she's pregnant, which you know, was surprised to everybody, and she also has like a ruptured cyst, and then there's a lot of debate about her second ovary and whether or not it's yeah, yeah, yeah, And so they don't have time to like have anybody look at it to get the specialist in all that stuff. So he just decided he goes out. He talks to Bill Pullman and he's like, look, your wife is gonna die if I don't remove this ovary, and he's like, thumbs up, you should totally remove that overy, you know, and he's also, I'm being flippant. He's also very sad that this has happened to his wife, that she's losing her ovaries and she's not going to be able to have children. Also, FYI, your wife was pregnant, but not anymore. So he removes both the ovaries, and then the pathology report comes back and it was a healthy ovary. Dun, dun, dun. And she's devastated. She's always crying and upset, and she's like, I'm gonna sue your fucking ass for doing this. And she's mad at Bill Pullman now for giving him permission. Right if this was a normal movie, and let's say it wasn't a nineties thriller like he thought he he thought he was saving her life. Bill Pullman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a huge loss for her.
Speaker 3: I mean supposedly, it's supposedly she really wants kids, Like it's a big it's a big loss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But she's going to sue Alec Baldwin and she's leaving Bill Pullman. So she leaves him, and he's devastated, and she appears to be also very sad, but is uh so she let's see what. Oh, then we get this deposition and we get to see Peter Gallagher and his luscious eyebrows, the best eyebrows in the business. Peter galliher and he's her lawyer, and they start like hitting Alec Baldwin with questions. George c Scott's in there. They got some heavy hitters in here in very tiny parts.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's I think part of the reason this movie. Yeah, it's very shocking. George c Scott is here for some reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for some reason. He's in here for like a scene and talking about how Alec Baldwin's a really great doctor, but he has a God complex. And that's when Alec Baldwin gives this speech that they love to show in the previews for the movie, you know, where it's I am God, you know, and it's and by the way, a lot of surgeons have that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely they do.
Speaker 1: They, you know, bringing people back from the brink of death. They absolutely get a God complex. And he gives that big speech. But she she appears to be like an angel. She's like, all, I, you know, the whole thing is, we bought this beautiful Victorian house and we were gonna fill it with kids, and I volunteer at the hospital, and now I can't have children. And I was pregnant at the time. So she gets a shit and he was drunk, so she gets she's gonna get twenty million dollars. It's a ton of money even now. So what happens after that, Oh, she's waiting for her money. She's like, I'm so upset, Peter Gallagher. I don't really care about the money. It's the principal. You could just give me the money and a coffee. Can I'm gonna go to my house that's on a cliff by the ocean in the middle of nowhere and and cry about what's happened. And meanwhile, Bill Pullman is now discovered from the Semen sample that he is sterile.
Speaker 2: Yes at bb.
Speaker 3: Newarth tells him this, wow, like, you know that sample you gave us shooting FYI, you're shooting blanks, by the way, because she doesn't all of a sudden, she's also suspicious of Nicole Kidman. Yes, for some reason, when she should be stopping this serial killer Yeah, aren't you busy, aren't you busy?
Speaker 1: No, she's not busy. She has time to worry about Nicole Kidman and Bill Pullman's semen sample. So she tells him that. And so, just so you know, everybody, this whole movie had a storyline about a serial rapist and murderer just so Bill Pullman's character could find out that he's sterile.
Speaker 2: That's the only.
Speaker 1: Thing that it's the only reason this is in the movie. Because it turns out that the the rapist, the murderer is the guy who works as a handyman at the college.
Speaker 2: And he saw he's jig Saw. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's Tobin Bell from Yeah Jigsaw. Yeah. So that whole storyline that is a good chunk of the movie is just so Bill Pullman's character can find out that he's sterile. It serves no other purpose. I mean, maybe to bring in New Earth, to bring in Officer Boston accent, I don't know, but okay, so many red herrings in this movie.
Speaker 3: There's also a scene you've got to mention where they're having a sex scene and they're having sex by a window and there's a kid the neighbor that has who plays an electronic keyboard, you know, by the window, and it's like pretty easy to put up, you know, put some.
Speaker 1: Fucking blinds up, curtains.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is not freaking hard or turn the lights out or whatever. But there's a whole thing about this kid can watch and it's supposed to be a kid.
Speaker 2: Yes, so that's another thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a couple of sex scenes in here, because they've gotten Nicole Kidman and they want to take full advantage.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's a scene with her and Bill Pullman and the kid is sitting there at his keyboard watching and yes, thank you for reminding me about that scene, because that's another one of the weird random red herrings in this. So there's the kid next door who may or may not have seen something going on, a serial rapist and murderer who has nothing to do with anything else in the movie.
Speaker 2: And it's caught pretty easily.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's just sleeping in the base and I'm Bill Pulm and also like his his secretary's like, I'm gonna go home now.
Speaker 2: It's eight thirty. I'm like, you keeping that this woman there till eight thirty at night, asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're such a Dick.
Speaker 4: But he's like, hey, by uh this this made me laugh The hardest is like the first I saw the movie because he's like tapping, like because the light bulb goes out and he's kind of like calling out for this woman.
Speaker 2: I'm like, she was there till eight thirty asshole changed her own light bulb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he goes to the basement and that's where Jigsaw is.
Speaker 2: And all of his hairs, like.
Speaker 1: He finds it instantly, instantly.
Speaker 3: And manages to yeah, to beat him up and get away. And so then bb Newarth comes in and so they did solve that crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it literally walks into the room instantly, picks up a frame and like hair falls, like it's so easy, like the world's worst escape room, so easy. And yeah, so they get into a huge fight too, and then and Tobin Jigsaw beats the shit out of him too. And after that, now he knows that he's not the father of the baby that Nicole kids that was lost and he's caught the rapist murderer. So good for him. You know, he'll get a headline now that says like Professor catches favorite handyman or something. But he shows up at Alec Baldwin's apartment, and Alec Baldwin's like, basically, like, what the hell happened to your face? And he's like, it wasn't my baby instantly, and like, at no point does it occur to Pullman that maybe the guy that was living with them stooped his wife.
Speaker 3: He's highly sexual and charismatic and total boon helm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, He's like, she screwed us both over, buddy, Like, we're gonna we're gonna tell the insurance company that it turns out she wasn't a virgin or something like they think because he thinks Bill Pullman thinks because she had an affair, that somehow she doesn't get all that money. And I was like, that's not how it works, you dope, Like.
Speaker 2: It's also right, she still was pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yes, and she still lost her ovaries. Right, she's gonna get the money. No, Like, I don't know what he was thinking there, but we're not supposed to understand what he's thinking. I guess. So then you say that wrote this, by the way, and I think it's one of the only things that Alec bald sorry that Aaron Sorkin has written that wasn't like nominated for something, for anything, for anything, like you know, I think, uh, a few good men had maybe come out the year before, right, so Aaron Sorkin was a name at this point. And I mean, this movie is really sloppy, Like this must have been like an early screenplay of his. I no, he's not proud of it. And I read somewhere that like, like he's not proud of it. I think he should be proud of it, because I think it's fucking watchable as hell. But there's this whole thing where they the director and the producers asked him to write a sex scene for Nicole Kidman and Alec Baldwin, but he wouldn't do it because he worked with Tom Cruise the year before and she's married to Tom Cruise. And the whole thing just pissed me because I was like, so, you can't treat her like a professional because of your professional relationship with Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: I'm not very had a lot of power over her. Yeah, went they were early early marriage.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, by the way they wrote they wrote a sex scene anyway, and is it stupid? Yeah, But whatever Bill Pullman thinks. For some reason, Peter Gallagher is the father of the baby. They won't have to do a DNA test. If that's true, the fetus would have eyebrows. So they He goes to Peter Gallagher's house or his office, and Peter Gallagher's like, what the hell happened to your face? And he's like, I beat the shit out of a deeply disturbed serial rapist. That's his answer, Like just fucking say you bummed into a door man, and then proceeds to say you you fucked my wife and she's pregnant, and Peter Gallagher's just like, I don't know what you're talking about, Like I would never You should ask her mom. Huh, we're also her mom's dead, right, No, no, And he tells her go see her mom and break a bottle of scotch, which I think is funny. So he goes to see her and it's Anne Bancroft and she wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this. I'm surprised.
Speaker 3: I wow what they're trying to go for in this scene.
Speaker 2: And they're making a big deal about the is it the DEGA? Is that with the sculpture?
Speaker 3: Yes, that like you can buy anywhere, And they're in Boston, where there's like a million museums and gift shops, and it's just one of those things like you get those ballet sculptures anywhere, no one assumes they're worth millions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he thinks it's a big gotcha moment. It's like, no, man, she bought it, bought it at Walmart, Like it's fine. But she's she's doing a thing for some reason. She really wants to do a magic trick for him, and she's like shuffling cards and yelling at him to pick a car, and he's just trying to get answers about what's Nicole Kidman's deal, and she's telling him like she's a con artist. This is her thing, Like you know, she marries rich she or she apparently she was sleeping with someone at some way back when she was younger, and when she got pregnant, he gave her money for an abortion. She pocketed the money, went to like a free clinic and got an abortion. And the mom makes it sound like this is her thing, like this is just what she does. But also she's like pick a card and then she's like I picked a jacket clubs, bitch, Like that's supposed to be some big moment for us, like, uh huh, she figured it, Like, I don't know what that seems about. But somehow he figures out that the doctor she met at the clinic was Alec Baldwin. I okay, sure, I don't know why dude's rich worked at Harvard or went to Harvard also worked at the free clinic.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. So then he leaves, you know, her place, and he's, I don't know, he's trying to find her for somehow. He like finds out that she's living on a house on a cliff over the ocean, which is another red herring because when you see that, you're waiting for someone to fall off the cliff. No one ever falls off the cliff. This isn't the good Son where someone's going to fall off the cliff. Very disappointing. So he follows. He goes into her house, and then she comes back with Alec Baldwin and they make out in front of him, and he's just sitting there watching. Then he leaves, He goes home, trashes his own home for some reason, where he then finds a syringe that he apparently gets tested and it has this drug that causes you take it if you want to get pregnant, but if you take too much, it causes overian cis. So his theory is is that Alec Baldwin was injecting her with this on purpose to give her overian cis and they are in this together to get twenty million dollars, right, yes, So then he meets Nicole Kidman at a restaurant to tell her like, I know you're a piece of shit and I want half the money, and she laughs in his face, and then he tells her we should have bought those curtains because the boy next door saw everything. And she gets really mad and like breaks a glass while she's holding it. She turns into the Hulk Kidman smash and she goes back to her place and Alec Baldwin is there and she's like, we have to kill the kid. And that is going too far for Alec Baldwin. He is not going to kill the kid, and he hits her too, just so we know he's an extra big creep. He hits her, but he's not going to kill the kid, and she shoots him and kills him by Alec Baldwin. So sad. Also, I don't think we give enough props to Alec Baldwin's chest hair.
Speaker 2: In the nineties, there's a lot going on with his body hair.
Speaker 1: I think we maybe we talked about it in our lost episode Unmarried to the Mob, because I think by the we did record, I'm gonna say we did an episode I'm Married to the Mob, but it didn't record, And I think we had a whole thing about Alec Baldwin and his chest hair because he's a hairy man. He's a very hairy man. So he keels over. And then she breaks into the kid's house because she's going to kill him, and she's gonna put a plastic bag over his head. And it turns out it's just a CPR dummy. You dummy, you dummy. Yeah, and did she gets super bit by the way this nurse, this nurse that just leaves her kid alone every night, locks.
Speaker 2: Him in the house, locks him in the house every night.
Speaker 1: It gets worse. So like Nicole Kidman like loses her shit because it's a dummy, and she like trashes all over the place because she really wants to get caught. And then Bill Pullman shows up and they like fight and they fall off the stair well and on the ground and all this stuff, and then you know, Officer Boston accent shows up and is like yonda rest Kidman. You know, at some point Pullman says it's like shooting tuna and a barrel. Is that a saying? I don't know either, Come on, sorc and get your shit together. So she arrests Kidman and she's like taking her away, and the we see the kid like get out of a car with his night with his nurse mom, and he takes out a cane and stretches it out because the kid is blind. Is that hilarious?
Speaker 3: And they just destroyed his house, by the way, this kid who has to get around blind in that.
Speaker 1: House alone, she just leaves her blind ten year old. Good luck, little timmy. Don't do anything, Just sit here and play your electric keyboard until I get home. It's so sad, but also like the kid being blind is supposed to be like a ha haa nobody's perfect, I guess.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: Bill Pullman in bb Newarth then go on, They're gonna go get a drink, go on an awkward date. I guess. Now they're just gonna leave the crime scene and get a drink and probably hook up, and Malice's bat shit.
Speaker 2: It's shit, it's bat shit.
Speaker 3: It makes no sense because cocidn't just stay still.
Speaker 2: For like a couple of weeks, just stay still, just chill out at.
Speaker 5: The house with the with the with the water, with the Uh yeah, like what are you even doing? Like it's like if they told you it's gonna be electronic deposited in.
Speaker 2: Like two weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: And what did she do with Alec Balwin's body?
Speaker 1: She shot him right, Yeah, maybe she threw it off the cliff, but we don't get to see that she I don't know. I don't know, and there's no way she could have No.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just it's it's it's so fucking ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, it's really watchable.
Speaker 1: It's super watchable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny for sure, No, but I found it enjoyable. I mean in nineteen ninety three when I rented it, I was like, oh, this is fun.
Speaker 1: It is fun, absolutely, Like it's ridiculous. This is why I love these movies. I mean I love them when they're like really really good but those are few and far between, but this one has there's like every role is someone you will recognize, right, which is super cool, Like it doesn't make sense again, like knowing what we know happens at the end, which is that you know because there was a whole bunch of these movies in the nineties that like crazy bitch movies, you know, basic instinct was we talked about so many of them. Jade, right, consenting adults. What's the other one? We did, sleep Well Sleeping with the enemy, but that was crazy man. But yeah, but there's so many, so many. But knowing what we know about the ending of this movie, the way she behaves early in the movie makes no sense.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: Why would she be shitty about Alec Baldwin moving in? Don't you want him to move in?
Speaker 3: Like, well, she doesn't want to seem no, I get this point, because they're trying to They don't want to give away that he's She's fucking Alec Baldwin, so she wants it to seem like, hey, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: We only need fourteen thousand dollars and are they going to have him in there for fourteen thousand dollars and then kick him out. I hope so yeah, but no, I at that point that makes sense to me because she doesn't want to seem like she's hooking up with this guy.
Speaker 1: It's hard to deny it. Chemistry.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: Everybody wanted to work with her at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like and by the way, it's thirty years later and they still do yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well this movie I think late eighties, she did like Dead Calm, and like Dead Calm was a really big deal. The movie where she's like out on a boat and is it Sam Neil is the Yeah, yeah, and she's so good in it, and I mean they're all good in it. And after that she does I think Tom Cruise sees her in that, and then he puts her in Days of Thunder. That movie's something else.
Speaker 3: I think she's also a thoracic surgeon in that, which is like twenty two.
Speaker 1: She's a baby in that movie. And yeah, and then they did Far and Away and that. She's always good. Nicole Kidman's always good and she commits like always. But this is before she was winning awards, like she hadn't done to Die for like, and she's so good in that one, like that really puts her and like a different class of actress. I guess where. Oh you're gonna win stuff now. So she wasn't that yet. She was still doing things like Malice, which I mean I like things like Malice. So but it's a crazy fucking movie. Yeah, insanely watchable though, like you said, and everyone everyone's going for it. Everyone's going for it. I like that. Do you want to hear the other October ninety three movies, yes, okay, these all came out the same same month. Cool Runnings, Love Cool Runnings. I have never seen cool running. What I haven't? It's bananas, right, I should see it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good, okay.
Speaker 1: For love, for love or money? Do you know someone?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know the name.
Speaker 1: It's Michael J.
Speaker 2: Fox. Yeah, oh, one of his lesser.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Fearless.
Speaker 2: Jeff Bridges yep. Yeah, it's sad.
Speaker 1: It's super sad. I love Jeff Bridges though, and Rosie Prez is really really good in it too. Short Cuts.
Speaker 2: I don't like shortcuts at all.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it since the theater, but I remember loving the Player so much and then seeing shortcuts and being kind of disappointed. But I wonder if I would like it more now Demolition Man, Fly Fly, It's got young Sandra Bullock, always happy to see her and Gettysburg. Did you did you have four hours?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't. I don't think. I'm sure I've seen some of it. I think it's on TNT all the time. Yes, it was, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It played at my It played at my theater. It was four hours long.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: I don't even think it had an intermission either, which is cruel, Like that's a long time to ask someone to hold it. Uh, I'm sure you ran right out and saw mister Nanny.
Speaker 2: Is that? Oh God, damn it. Son, it's a whole movie.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's Hull Cogan, No, thank you. The Beverly Hillbillies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a thing. It was a thing. Rudy loved Rudy. Rudy.
Speaker 1: Come on, everyone loves Rudy. Yeah, sorry about your cold dead heart. You should see a doctor like Alec Baldwin if you have. If you don't love Rudy. Judgment night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know people. I know there are fans of it, and it's usually dudes.
Speaker 2: It's I'm not one of them.
Speaker 1: That is accurate. And then finally a nightmare before Christmas.
Speaker 2: Yep, I know that one.
Speaker 1: I'm all that it's a good one. I like that one, and it's Calvin. Calvin likes that one. We like to watch it around Halloween.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you want to hear the top ten songs the week this came out first week October ninety three? Yes, so Number ten Baby I'm yours shy.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that, but I don't know that one. Number nine Soul Asylum Runaway Train.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you couldn't get away from that song.
Speaker 2: No. Number eight another sad love song, Tony Braxton.
Speaker 1: You and I are big fans. We love the Tony Braxton.
Speaker 2: Number seven Michael Jackson, will You Be There? Oh?
Speaker 1: From uh? Is that the one that's from Free Willie?
Speaker 2: Oh? Maybe that's it?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, this is no. You could not escape this. U be forty can't help falling in love with you.
Speaker 1: I don't like you be forty.
Speaker 2: They're not my favorite either.
Speaker 1: I'm not a reggae person and they're reggae esque. Just yeah, it's not my thing.
Speaker 3: Number five Janet Jackson, if oh, I love that song? Number four This is the uh the album, the last album before Billy Joel and Christy Brinkley broke up the.
Speaker 2: River of Dreams. Oh remember she painted the.
Speaker 3: Cover and it's like, but it's about a river and dreams because oh so she painted him like next laying next to a river and having dreams from his I like Christy Brinkley, But girl, come on, I mean it was a little on the nose.
Speaker 2: The number three Tag Team, whoop there it.
Speaker 1: Is Tag Team back again?
Speaker 2: So catchy catchy Number two s w V right here Human Nature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that song. I still love that one.
Speaker 2: And number one Mariah Carey dream Lover.
Speaker 1: That's a good one too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love Maria Carrey at this time. This all like should always be my baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She had nothing but hits, nothing but.
Speaker 1: Hits then true? Dat, my friend? What else are you doorking out about?
Speaker 3: I don't know if you watched this or not, because it might be a little too close to home.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But there's a series on Netflix and it's based on a movie called The Four Seasons.
Speaker 2: I have Alan Alda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kind of interested if you do or not, Okay, it's a story. It's based on Alan Alda.
Speaker 6: It's Alan Alda and Carol CAROLTT thank you and Rita Moreno and Bess Armstrong Best Best Armstrong Best somewhere whatever a Bess there was a there's like, there's this.
Speaker 2: It's about three.
Speaker 3: Couples and they meet, uh spring, summer, fall, winter for a vacation, like a weekend vacation, and it's about.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you've never seen this, I haven't, Okay.
Speaker 3: So this is an update and it's so it's an eight part thirty minute apiece thing and it's Tina Fey, Steve Carell.
Speaker 2: Uh Colman Domingo, Coleman Domingo.
Speaker 1: And Grew Baker Baker, Will will Forte, Will Forte, Macgroober Macgroober.
Speaker 3: And uh, it's it's about and also, god damn it.
Speaker 2: This the woman that's from the state and she was also.
Speaker 1: In Reno and Harry Kinney Silver, Yes, yes.
Speaker 3: And it's about these three couples and they meet and then one of the couples breaks up and the and it's the husband and it's this is all like in the thing, like you'll find in the trailer. So yeah, and then he has a new young girlfriend and then they go on these vacations and it's like, oh, it takes place over the a year and it's eight episodes and it's I was up till one in the morning watching this because I liked it.
Speaker 2: It was going to happen I did.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm curious as hell what you think. Well, it's on my list. I watch it, but I don't know if you want to watch it or not. But that's going to be up to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I I do want to watch it because I do like all of those people. And I saw scene with in particularly with Coleman Domingo and the man who's playing his partner, Yeah, Marco kel Vaney, and the scene cracked me up, and I was like, maybe I do want to watch this, So I will check one out tonight and I will report back to you. Yeah, I don't know it was a series. For some reason, I had it in my head that it was a movie like the original movie. So now that I know it's just a series, I'll watch a couple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's very interesting. It's it's some people. Some people like it, some people don't like it. Some people are especially if you're in your fifties. There's like gen X people, it's really gonna hit with us. Different the girlfriend, like Steve Carell leaves his wife and then they go to on a vacation.
Speaker 2: And these people, I mean it's it's all people with a lot of money. Yep. Like they go on vacation four times a year at least nice, it must be nice.
Speaker 3: But they yeah, they like they go to the girl, the new girlfriend, who's like thirty years old. She has them go to like an eco friendly tourist place in Florida, and it's next door to the hotel where Steve Carrell's wife goes to every year. Yeah, so they're going to the same spot, but it's at a different hotel, but at their place is super shitty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. Uh yeah, there's gonna be things in here I find relatable. For sure.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be like, huh, she's great.
Speaker 3: She's really good. I found myself like do I like these people or not?
Speaker 2: Do I? I mean, Coleman Domingo is like a star. This is somebody. Yeah, such a star, so charismatic, so funny. Everybody's good. I'm gonna say everybody's really good. There was a bunch of surprises. I didn't get it.
Speaker 3: I didn't anticipate, which was nice. There's one scene that I love that one of the Carrie Carrie.
Speaker 1: Sorry God, carry Kenny Silver, Kenny, Kenny Silver, Carry Kenny Silver.
Speaker 3: She has a boyfriend for one of their vacations. She brings a guy and then they're all hanging out and then all of a sudden, he shows up and he drags out of his room an acoustic guitar, and everybody starts.
Speaker 2: Screaming, Oh. It's like, oh my god. They're like, please God.
Speaker 1: No, I've I've been to that party, yes, and we've talked about this. We've all been to that party. And it's like, you're holding me hostage.
Speaker 3: You were holding me hostage to your unrequite, unrequited dreams of whatever you were doing. But it's it's it's it's I mean, you know, they're thirty thirty minutes apiece, so there's only so much they can go into a couple of times where I hear like because of course, I go into the chatter on the online and people were like, why.
Speaker 2: Is it they both have so two of the couples.
Speaker 3: Have daughters that are in college, so like twenty twenty one years old, and like one of them is really fucking upset that her dad.
Speaker 2: Is bringing his girlfriend to her parents weekend, you know, right, and he's kind of like, how.
Speaker 1: Could she's being so mean to me?
Speaker 3: It's like, because you fucked up your family, dude, And yeah, a price for a while. Yeah, but it's Steve Carell, who, by the way, looks great, like they gave him a dude glamorous makeover.
Speaker 1: Dude's aging like fine wine, like he's he's better looking now than he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's hot.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: It's annoying, so annoying.
Speaker 3: But but I mean, but yeah, of course somebody would be that selfish, would just kind of be like, oh, I've.
Speaker 1: Already said I was sorry, So what are your episode about?
Speaker 2: You know, like something my dad, my dad would have say, like it's just go like oh.
Speaker 1: Already I feel bad over just how shitty that this is a thing that these couples would do all together. And then it's like I'm just gonna bring my new person now, yeah.
Speaker 6: And that for her, and and and it's really well.
Speaker 2: I thought it was well written.
Speaker 3: I mean, like you kind of feel for her because at one point in a face like I feel bad. We're not asking her anything, We're not engaging with her, like we're treating her like but.
Speaker 2: But it's still at the same time, it's like, yeah, because a.
Speaker 3: Couple of months ago you were at their twenty fifth wedding anniversary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was telling you behind the scenes he wants to divorce her.
Speaker 1: That's and the scene.
Speaker 3: And you've been friends with that, yeah, and you've known them for almost thirty years. Like so, but if that's the thing, it's like, we're all older now, so we understand there's like a long history with people. It's it's it's it's got more to say, and I they leave it kind of a cliffhanger type of thing, like you might if there might be a second season.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Alan Alda is in the first episode.
Speaker 3: We love Alan Aldo and I love Alan Olden so so much. And then somebody I was reading a review and one of them said like, well, they have Sweet Liberty and all these other allan ald the movies they could do next.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yes, sir, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I'm cool with that. We love we love him.
Speaker 3: But uh yeah, that's that's what I'm working out about.
Speaker 1: Well that's a good one. I will I will check them out tonight. Should we talk about below deck, yes sound under because first of all the guests that they have on this week, I was like, are these the most fun guests?
Speaker 2: Like they're pretty great.
Speaker 1: They're pretty great, Like they're really fun. I was like, I like them.
Speaker 7: But the Lara, what the fuck, like stop being a stop being a bitch.
Speaker 3: Like she's she has such control issues and it's so not necessary. I mean, you can't control your personality, I guess, but she she definitely it's a personality flaw and uh yeah, you go, you go, Well.
Speaker 1: She's just being a huge bitch. Like the first of all, now that Wihan's gone, they like I guess they need a new villain or something. But like they so Laura, like she's trying to control like uh sorry the chef, Serena, Serena, thank you, you know, the whole thing about like use this plate not that plate, Like the way she's kind of I see what Serena's saying about the like buying the lipstick.
Speaker 2: For her, Yeah yeah, the sous chef.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it is like she is like kind of overstepping. She is trying to, like hear, like be one of my people, like having her I see what she's doing, Like I think it's really obvious what she's doing. And the whole thing about like Captain Jason Hunky. Captain Jason like her him telling her like let Marina do service, and she's like such a bitch about it. I'm like, just and he has a good point. He's like, well we can't. Bree needs to learn how to do housekeeping too, So they all.
Speaker 3: Need to like be able to elevate by the end of this the charter season, they should all be able to do more than what they came in with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like you she is just so resentful of anyone telling I'm not saying telling her what to do, but like she doesn't listen. Like even Captain Jason's thing is like we they all need to learn these skills. We can't just keep her in housekeeping the whole time. She needs to learn other things. And bre needs to learn other things too, And she's just like if it's not broke, why are we fixing it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And then her relationship with Erena, it's like, just listen, if you would listen for five seconds, they could fix this. Because Serena and Alicia have had really great, like really great communication. It's like, I love how direct Alicia is like, look, yeah, what's the problem here, Like, tell me what's going on so I can help you fix it and we'll work on it together. Like you just need to be a clear communicator, and she's handling it beautifully, and Laura's just like, doesn't want to communicate, doesn't listen. It's such a shitty way to be and it's not a good boss to have if you don't know. Like, also, that is it Nick? This deckhand that's hooking up with Marina. He's cute. Yes, he's really cute and and she's very cute too, So I'm like, yes, don't be a creep. But it's so good as always.
Speaker 2: A Ya, it's a good season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a really good season. And I think these guests are really really funny, and I was enjoying where they like Harry's all, what are mutton chops? And then they gave him some to put them on in the confessional and he's like, uh, you know, and the producer's like, what do you think something? And he's like, I think they're sexy or something, so silly. What else is on your list?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, I have two more things? Did you ever watch What Not to Wear when it was on back in the day, Yes, okay, so there is a new The whole thing about What Not to Wear back in the day was Stacy London and Clinton Kelly were these like fashion people that would give people makeover and they would surprise people, like they would like show up at where they work or something and be like surprise or getting a makeover. And these were always people who, you know, maybe they wore sweatpants to the office or mostly busy moms to be honest, and then they would give them a makeover and really at the end of the makeover, everybody would kind of look the same, like they'd be were in like the business jacket, like make sure you button it, you know, heels, you know, pencil skirts right, And it was like and you follow these rules, you know, and get things that fit right, and you'll look better and you'll feel better and blah blah blah, and it's like it's very of its time. Now they have a show. It's on Amazon Prime. So if you still have Prime, you know, and you want to watch I hate promoting Prime. But now they have a show called Where whatever the f you want? And they are just like they're not surprising anybody, because honestly that now I look back and I was like, oh, that's so mean. They like show up at their work and they're like you dressed like shit.
Speaker 2: Now it's yeah for make you're fugly, nobody can stand you. We're gonna change you. So awful.
Speaker 3: So they first host for that show was this guy with long hair. Yes he was horrible, Yeah, he was horrible. And Stacy actually used to attend the gym where I taught in car really really sweet.
Speaker 2: Oh that's really really nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she's gone. It's so funny. They've both you know, it's been like twenty years since they did that show, so they both changed a lot. And like Clinton has very much like dad energy now where he's just like dad puns and whatnot. And then State and now Stacy's gay, like married and to a woman and like isn't I don't know, she's just dresses more funky and like they're just more comfortable in their skin, you know, as you all as we all should be when we get older. So they don't surprise people. These are people who want help. They're like I always want like I want this kind of style. But I don't know how to make it happen, and so they bring these people in, Like they bring in like this woman who is like I've always her for it's the first episode, and she's like, I want to be like a powerhouse diva. I want to be like Cookie from Empire or that's her thing, and they're like, oh, okay. So they pull these clothes that kind of make you look like whatever your fantasy is, and then you go out that night with them and like try out your fantasy outfit. And then the next day they bring in like your you know, your husband, your wife, your best friend, whatever, and you show them the look and then you it like brings you back to reality. So it's like, okay, maybe dressing like Cookie from Empire every day isn't doable when I have to like pick up my kid at school or something. So then you they like bring it down to a like I don't know, more realistic.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: Everyone's every episode is just so happy and joyful and like trying to help people like get the style that really suits them and give them what they want, Like closers they should be fun. They don't. I mean, you don't have to you can wear whatever you want. That's the whole point of the show. But it also can be fun. It can be a fun way to show what you're like on the inside but on the outside, and I think that's what the show is doing. So that I've watched three or four episodes now and way more diverse than they were back in the day too, so it's like, you know, different races. They had like a trans a trans person on there on one of the episodes, and that person's all about androgyny, so like dressing for that was really interesting. It's just really really fun and they're like forty two minutes and it's on Amazon Prime, so I think it's worth watching. I'll watch ten more seasons because I love a makeover show. What else is on my list? Are you watching The Valley Now? It's trash? It is trash. I am watching it because I'm I hate myself. No, I don't know, because I watch vander Pump Rules and these are spinoffs from that. But Bravo loves to platform shitty men. They're really good at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't watched Bravo as long as you have, so but from what I've seen of watching like old I've been watching the old seasons of vander Pump Rules. They never hold old men accountable the way they hold women accountable right on this show, and The Valley is a very good example of that. That is, the spin off from The Valley is technically a spinoff of vander Pump Rules and Jax Taylor. This man, Jax Taylor, is the connection. Jax Taylor is a piece of shit. He was a piece of shit on vander Pump Rules who cheated on everybody, lies, just lies all the time, not even allegedly, like was a cocaine addict, drinks too much, was stealing from his job, like a very bad person. And they're like, we have a good idea. Let's give him his own let's spin off The Valley where it's all these it's not single people working in a restaurant, it's married people who all live in the valley. So what's sad about the show is these are all grown ass people with mortgages and kids and they're still behaving like assholes. And he's the worst one, and this show's he checked himself into rehab, but he doesn't finish. At one point, he's like throwing furniture around that hits his wife. Yeah, their son is like almost three years old. He's autistic, Like the kid is afraid of him. When he shows up, the kid runs away like it's really fucking sad, and he can He's still on the show, and I was like, it boggles my mind that they continue to platform this. I'm like, he shouldn't be making money off of this. This is fucked up. It is fucked up. And I'm really she's she's left him, like she's in the process of getting a divorce. He's also a textbook like narcissist. Like it's really, really, really shitty. And then the other men on the show, almost all of them are shitty too. It's Bravo, What the fuck for a network that has an audience that's predominantly women and gay people like do better? What the fuck? But I won't even get into it anymore. I do want to mention one more thing. There's a movie called The Order that came out last year that I finally got around to watching, and it's with Jude Law. It's set in the late seventies and he moves to He's an FBI agent who moves to Washington to break up like a religious sect there that's like super it's basically the Klan, but not the Klan. It's like a religious sect that's like the Klan. And the leader of that is Nicholas Holt from he was in Fury Road, he was in jur number two. He was the lead in jur number two. Oh okay, he's the one who's leading this like religious sect and it's about like him working with the local police trying to like break up this it's a cult, but also like basically the Klan. I'm surprised more people weren't talking about this movie when it came out last year. I think it's really good. So it's streaming on Hulu and I think people should definitely check it out. And obviously, like everyone else in the world, I saw Sinners and it's amazing and people should go see it in the theater if they can, because it's it takes advantage of that big screen, so very very good. I think we might have talked about that one on the show before though. That's plenty of res right, m h okay, my friend, can you tell people where they can find you on the internet.
Speaker 2: You can find me at Brooklyn dot com.
Speaker 3: I'm at Brooklyn Pitchick for Threads and Instagram, and I'm at Brooklyn Margo for Blue Sky and TikTok and my YouTube is at my name Margo Donahue.
Speaker 1: Y'all follow her on all the things. Her book about Saturday Night Fever called Fever is coming out in August, and you're gonna want all the cool clips that she's going to be sharing. And if you haven't ordered her book, do it right now, now, do it please now. You won't be sorry. It's going to be really, really good.
Speaker 2: I'm really proud of it.
Speaker 1: You should be because it's going to be dope, I have no doubt. If you like the sound of our voices. We also co host a podcast called What a Creep where we talk about creeps of the past and the present. Our episode that dropped this weekend is William Randolph hurst Ough sucks. He sucks, But we end every episode with someone who's not a creep, so you won't feel like the world is so terrible at the end. So please check that out. You can find me at the Sonia Show dot com and the Sonja Show on Blue Sky and Threads and Instagram and the TikTok and dorkan Outshow at dorkanoutshow dot com and also on all of those channels I mentioned, and we got a review. We got a review on iTunes hold On from rosen Lover gave us five stars. Thank you. Please, if you listen to the show, give us give us a review. It helps us find our people. And you know, you can also email us at dorkan Outshow at gmail and send us your requests because we take requests. It sounds like somebody wants Sweet Liberty, so we'll put it on. It's already on the list. May we'll move it off the list so we can do that. So thanks for talking about malice with me, my friend. This was super fun.
Speaker 2: This was so much fun.
Speaker 1: Now let's go play God.
Speaker 3: Then the decoding the cult