Speaker 1: Calaroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hey hair, I'm Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news. Now, if you're like Johnny Mack, the theme sounds a little different today. What's going on? Well, on Tuesday morning, Johnny Mack's hard drive filled up and he deleted a bunch of files and deleted one too many. You know what I'm saying is I had to go back to the original cut of the music theme and now I have to go back in and find listen to what it's doing. Now let's listen. Yeah, we never get to that part, so I have to go back in and grab what's called a mixed down and get the smaller part. So this is kind of fun. It is a Tuesday, coming off July fourth weekend, and this is usually one of the toughest weeks of the year to Judas program because there is no news. So I will sock slow. Oh we he just jammed in the band, all right. R Gejorvay said, I was asked to come up with a new billboard for the London Underground as our last one was banned. This for his whiskey company. Whecky said, I thought I should do a little bit more market research before a waste company money and wondered will this be too annoying for commuters? If so, I think I'll go with it. He then shared an image that said win a million pounds that way you don't have to take the tube. Hey, nice job, Nicki Glazer. This from ksd K read slow John, you don't have a lot of news today. Last week, when the air conditioning went out at an East Saint Louis animal shelter during their heat wave gateway, pet Guardians sent out an urgent plea to the community to help Wednesday Love. Last week, they posted, this is a crisis situation. Additionally, we're receiving a large number of calls about outdoor strays and heat distress. We need a safe place to land. We need the community's help right now. Part of that community, Saint Louis native Nicky Glazer the shelter, wrote on Instagram that Nicky saw our reel, reached out right away, and came by Gep as soon as she was back in town to scoop up a foster. Looks like Egbert is settling in just fine, cozy content and clearly in his comedy era. We are truly so grateful for all of you. Nice job at Nikki Lazer. It's always sunny in Philadelphia. Back out tomorrow. Season seventeen eight episodes, and we get two episodes tomorrow. July ninth, they were doing some press, Glenn Homerton talked about how he almost left the show. Glenn and the gang were at the Palely Live twentieth anniversary panel. Glenn thought about leaving before season twelve. He told the creative team, look, I just don't want to wear out our welcome. I was worried that maybe we had sort of peaked or something, and I was just like, you know, we've been doing this a long time, and I think I was anxious. I hadn't figured out yet how to stretch myself and be able to do other things that I wanted to do with my career outside of the show. I just hadn't figured out how to do that yet. I was aching to do other things, and so I was starting to feel a little boxed in. Frankly, the rest of the cast said they didn't want the show to end, and he said, well, I can't stop you. And then seasons thirteen and fourteen, I came back as an actor, but I wasn't in the writer's room. During that period, Glenn went on The MINDI Project and Fargo. He also did ap Bio, which is okay, but not you know, that's not the most radical departure acting wise. Rob Mack said, they just kept writing it and kept writing him in, and we're like, he's just gonna eventually say he's coming back. And that's what happened. You know what I'm talking about. Because of the implication, if you're not a fan of the show, I don't even know how to begin to explain it. A short version, They've got a boat, some women are on the boat. Glenn's character says that the women will hook up with them because of the implication, suggesting that something horrible could happen to the women. It's a sitcom. Don't write me any letters, Glenn said. I do remember that with the cruise ship scene with the young girl where you actually had to see the implication, and actually that was one I was like, please, guys, don't. There's just certain things as human being, it's just tough to stop. I don't remember I remember thinking the implication conversation that you guys wrote was super super funny, or maybe I was like worried about crossing a line or something. Caitlyn Olson mcilhanny talked about her husband's name changed to Rob Mack. She said, I'm legally Olsen Macklhenny, but I go buy Olsen, so I don't really have to change anything. We can call each other whatever we want. Whatever makes him happy makes me happy. Over the holiday weekend, it was the thirtieth annual Nantucket Film Festival. Nice Work if you can get It Ben Stiller and a group of quote comedy all stars discuss their journeys. Ben Stiller shared that he personally was dead set against a comedy career because it's what his parents did. He didn't stick to that all too long. Eliza Slessinger on this panel said she was working a desk job and asked her parents to help her buy a laptop for comedy writing. May Martin dropped out of high school to work at Second City and tell jokes on stage. Amber Ruffin's work led her to Chicago, then Amsterdam. Michael ian Black also on that panel. Meanwhile, at Summerfest, Fortune Feamster was there. She said she was there to address what she calls America's fun deficit by encouraging people to connect with her and with each other. She told The Journal Sentinel, I'm just here to help people have fun. The one place you can help with that deficit is at a festival.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to Yaka of Samiranov. He's expecting his third child. Yakof Samiranov is seventy four years old. He already has two adult children, Natasha and Alexander, from a previous relationship. He told people, there's something magical about starting over at my age. Most people are planning for retirement. Me, I'm buying diapers, not for me, but for our future child. That's funny. Yes, my wife and I are having a baby. People cut basking me, Yakov, how did this happen? And I say, same way, It always happens, just with more stretching and heating pads afterwards. In Soviet Union comedy podcast Filler Fills You or something like that. Maryland Rice Cup, you know her as Chloe on twenty four. You know what I'm talking about? Jack Bauer's assistant there, Yeah, the one that was always calling him. She's a comedian. Did you know that? She spoke to Entrepreneur magazine and said when she's on the road. She does not want barbecue recommendations, especially when I'm traveling alone. I'm like, you think I'm going to go sit a loud barbecue and order a beer in a big plate of meat? Who do you think I am? We learn she was once roommates with Sarah Silverman. She told Entrepreneur Sarah was absolutely the better roommate. I was a mess. She was so great. I was lucky that she allowed me to be there. She also discussed working with Gary Shanling, who had such a specific confidence in his humor and how he wanted the whole world to be I remember reading the Larry Sanders script and going, I don't see the jokes. I'm not sure if I'm getting this, And then when we did the table reading, people were reading in character. Then it was like, oh, this is my favorite humor ever. It's so specific to the character that it doesn't really work until you hear them deliver it. It is indeed a slow newsday. I'm gonna pull gossip corner up here into the A block. You know who was up getting pizza in New Haven? That's right, you guessed correctly, Pete Davidson. He was at Sally's a Pisa. They share the news in their social media. Apparently, Pete Davidson signed a box and Sally's writing you guys rock. Sally's Humble bragged and wrote even New Yorkers make the trip. A commenter was curious what Pete Davidson ordered the pizzeria only said, let's just say he didn't leave hungry. Really, nobody knows. Is it a secret? You can't just tell us, Like I don't know, Pete ordered two slices and a coke. You can't just tell us. Also Gossip Corner, race car driver Lewis Hamilton accused of giving a death stare to Jack Whitehall at the British Grand Prix. Apparently, Jack Whitehall accidentally bumped into race car driver Lewis Hamilton moments before the race while attempting to mingle with the drivers. As the story goes, Whitehall had been signaled to pass through by a team member, but then almost body checked the seven time world champion race car driver Jack Whitehall. So hold Sky Sports just now when I was being invited to the grid and nearly body check Sir Lewis Hamilton, I don't know whether I'm going to be invited back again, but it was a very cold stare and staying. On Gossip Corner from New Jersey Monthly, they are confirming that Adam Sandler is staying in Montclair, New Jersey, not all that far from my house, and I do teach a college class at Montclair State University. Perhaps I'll pop over there. It's a great town, a great restaurant scene. There's great theaters there. Maybe I'll pop over and run in Adam Sandler and be like, Hey, Adam, which of your movies do you think are good? I'd be curious answer that, like if you got him, like really honestly, Like he's gotta know, like Jack and Jill's not a good movie. I'll take fifty million dollars and make Jack and Jill two. I don't begrudge the man, but he's got to know it's not good, right. I felt bad for him. He went all in on uncut Gems and he didn't get an award, and we could have had Adam Sandler dramatic actor, and we let it slip. Anyway, He's in Montclair working on untitled roommates project, which happens to Starr, one of his daughters. New Jersey Monthly says neighbors have seen Adam Sailor spending time in the area. He's apparently shooting hoops and Randa Park. He was also spotted filming in nearby Livingston, New Jersey at Nana's Deli, which owners say will be closed through July ninth because of the production. Boy, that's like a twenty five minute drive. Maybe I'll head over to Nana's Deli and just stand there all day for the movie. Nanez has been repainted with a sign that says Beer and Baumbs, established nineteen eighty five, advertising deli favorites like Matza, Ball, soup Chop, liver, Rubens, pastrami, and Kinishes. Livingston local We'll say that Adam Sadler has been friendly to residents taking selfies with fans who shut up to the stet who I'm so tempted to go? According to a cast notice, filming for the Netflix project goes through August twelfth. A local resident who drove by the set said it's exciting to have a little slice of Hollywood in Elltown. Yeah. From the pod News newsletter, which if you're into podcasting, you should subscribe to, James Kridlin reports for the first time in over decade, Michael Palin performed Monty Python material on stage at his hometown to a packed audience for a podcast called Nobody Expects The Michael Palin Podcast, hosted by longtime fan Greg James. On the Nobody Expects the Michael Palin Podcast, its chief weapon probably a surprise. I didn't know it existed. Palin Palan did a world exclusive reading of a deleted end scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian. That scene titled the Martyrdom of Saint Brian. In it, Michael Palin struggled to getrough the scene without laughing Brian's fingers full of naughtiness, which got laughter from the crowd. The Times of London went to go see Tim Minchin. He's doing a three night set at the Apollo in London. Tim was disrupted by some of the crowd shouting out details of a scientific law he just mentioned. Tim said, you won't get this at an oasis gig. He did three hours. The Time said his on stage chat is jokey, discursive, rather too rambling until he relaxes into it, and far more of the second half he takes us through his twenties in Australia, writing songs that rarely resurfaced in the act. He first brought to Britain in two thousand and five, hence the tourist title Songs. The world will never hear spoilers of the four Star at a five show, But though the first half is uneven, the second is almost walla wall joy. He is, in the words of one of his songs, a rock and roll nerd. If you ever get an opportunity to see Tim Minchin, you should go. I caught him a million years ago at the Chicago Comedy Festival, which doesn't even exist anymore, and I was just blown away by how talented he was. To meet him a few times, hung out with him as serious, A cool dude, extremely talented dude. And that is your comedy news for today. If you enjoy the program, tell a friend about it. They might like it too. If you like the program without commercials or feed drafts or other stuff, there's a premium feed five dollars a month to get the show five Good News Stories, which I also host in twenty five plus others on the network, all commercial free. And that's it, and I'll see tomorrow. Now stick around for this interview our sister.
Speaker 1: I'm going to bring forward and yours and give it to you now. And he said, oh wow, that's great, thank you. That's so generous of you. Car that's great. But his wife, my sister in law, went ballistic. She said, this is too much money, this is wrong. I don't want anything to do with and stormed out of the room. And I thought, well, that's not what I expected. Oh my god. So I realized from that that this was not an easy thing to do. So I learned a lesson from that, and I knew that I had to do this authentically. I had to do it right, otherwise it was not going to work. So that happened. And then the third thing that happened was that I was looking at my financial statements and I had more money there than I was really using. It was sitting there. I mean, it was growing, making profits and so forth, but it wasn't being used. I wasn't using it for me. I wasn't using it for things that I really cared about, not for my people. So I thought, well, if I have all this money now, why should I wait until I die? Why don't I bring it forward? And then it was a long process for me to come around to that. But that's what finally started this. And I said, well I'll do it. Now.
Speaker 3: Let's back up just a bit. Tell us a little bit about your new book. What is the Happiness Experiment.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a recording of the real events with real people who I decided that I would bring forward the inheritance the money I had for them in my will and made it a prequest, so it was a chunk of money that they were going to get. Well, they were still young enough to enjoy it, and I was still alive to see it happening. So I saw what they were doing. So when I sat down with them, I talked about money and happiness and how one can cognect. And I said, look, I'm going to bring this forward to and give it to you, but what I want from you is a plan so you use this money so it's really a big benefit for you. I don't want this to overwhelm you. And they said what kind of plan? I said, I want a happiness plan and they said a happiness plan? What's that? So, so you know, nobody has seems to have a happiness plan, but it's one of the most important plans you can get and it doesn't have to be very complex. What is it that makes you happy? What values do you want to pursue? You know, what goals and dreams do you have, and you can pursue them. And so I got them to write a happiness plan. And then when I saw the plan, I gave them all the money all at one time. And so then they took it and I watched them with their plan. I saw all their plans, what they did, and how they became happier. And so you know, that had to be written about so because I wanted other people to see what they did, so they too could do the same thing.
Speaker 3: Which prequest is the most unique one you've come across.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a very very painful and sad story because two dear friends of mine had a beloved daughter and she was hit head on by a drunk driver and killed. She happened to be eight months pregnant at the time, so that killed the granddaughter too, and also their daughter. They were totally totally wiped out, devastated, and they died emotionally. They had decided that they could never be happy again. It would be wrong to be happy. They didn't deserve to be happy because their darling daughter had been killed. Tremendously painful, awful, awful story. So they were grieving six years later and I met with them and I told them how much they had added to my life and how much I was so grateful to them, and that I wanted to expressed the gratitude and I put them in my will and they could accept that. And I said, but I want you to have it now, and they said, oh no, no, we can't accept it. They turned it down. They turned it down. Well, we worked, and I said, look, I'm leaving it open. So several months later, I think his wife persuaded him to do it. Actually, you know, and you know, so they said, okay, we'll do it because I say, we're going to wait until you die, why not do it now? And they did that and it wasn't the money, interesting life, they said, it was the coaching that made the big difference, that changed their mind their mindset from being so negative. You know, we'll never be happy again. We don't deserve to be happy. And the coach turned there thinking their mindset around, and said, look, you know it can be you can be happy again. And they started to get the mindset of happy people. And now you cannot believe what these people they're traveling all over the world. They're in Tahiti right now. They climbed Killimungarrett. These people are loving life. And it was a major change. That is one of the most heartfelt, wonderful results of the And in a sense she said, the wife said, this prequest changed or saved my life because we were no longer living, we were dead, and this brought us back to life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean dealing with grief and many of us have I have. You know, when you're in those depths, it's really it can be really difficult to find your way out of it. And you know, often it looks like there isn't a way out of it, and you know, sometimes you want to map, right, and it looks like this concept could be a good map for you, if that it sounds like it was for these folks. I always like to end interviews by asking, is there anything that I didn't ask that I should have?
Speaker 1: How can my listeners benefit from this book? What should they do? What would be good for them? And so I'll answer that question. First off, think about happiness, think about being happiness. Do you you deserve to be happy, and you can be happy, but you have to make it as a choice. I'm going to increase my happiness just that if you make that realistically, I want to and I'm going to increase my happiness that choice. And then talk to people about it. Talk to a husband or wife, or a girlfriend or a friend, a therapist or coach, talk to somebody about it and say, look, I'm made the decision that i want to be happier, and I'm like you to help me create a happiness plan and then work on it. And it's not that hard, but it is. It is challenging, but it's a wonderful exercise and if they do it, I guarantee they will increase their happiness. I guarantee it.
Speaker 3: Carl Barney is the author and the book is called The Happiness Experiments, A Revolutionary Way to Increase Happiness. Carl, where could people find the book?
Speaker 1: Wherever books are sold? And it's now available for pre order from Amazon and they can go to the Happiness Experiment dot com and they can pre order it there and I hope they will.
Speaker 3: Carl, thanks so much for the time. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. Dan it's been fun,