Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. That's just massive, twelve o'clock hour, gigantic, biggest one, huge, biggest one in four counties.
Speaker 2: The biggest.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get so tired of the twelve o'clock hour winning.
Speaker 3: The Dorothea Puente story is going to come up at the bottom of the AAR. We talked about that that's a Sacramento thing, but it was. It was such a weirdly California specific story that I remember covering it and just this, Wow.
Speaker 1: It's just very unsettling when a grandma like figure is a murderer, because grandma is not just for fresh tomales. In this case, she'll hand you a fresh tomale in one hand and.
Speaker 2: A butcher knife in the other.
Speaker 1: No, she'll hang on to the butcher knife, but she'll bury you with the other.
Speaker 2: I got dad. Else is going on? Time four? What's happening? Well, we are?
Speaker 4: It's happening is sponsored by a water damage are damage burglary called Public Adjuster Abner Gap eight one eight nine one seven five to two five six.
Speaker 3: Will we are out of our particularly dangerous weather situation, but we are still underregg red flag warnings through most of southern California today. There were a couple of brushfires that did pop up. Thankfully Cruise were able to get on top of them. One down near the I fifteen the Pola fire about twelve thirty this morning. About thirty minutes later farther down south on I fifteen year old Highway three ninety five called the Lilac fire. Both of those all the forward progress has stopped. There was one near the four or five in Granada Hills yesterday and then one near Griffith Observatory, and again both of those put out very quickly, thankfully, because those things we had seen could get out of control.
Speaker 1: Big fire at a hotel at a Turkish ski resort happened just before dawn. It's killed sixty six people. They're fifty one injured, just wild. It was about three am at Grand Cartel, a hotel at this ski resort. It was in northwestern Turkey. Fire breaks out in the middle of the night. Most of the victims were children and they say suffocation was the cause of death.
Speaker 3: The hotel was basically full two hundred and thirty thirty eight registered guests because apparently it's a holiday there. They said, all necessary steps taken to shed light on all aspects of the incident hold those responsible. Some of the people were jumping out of their balconies to try to get away from the fire and ended up dying in the fall.
Speaker 1: Bizarre story out of rural Alabama where a guy they say, shot and killed a fire chief and Georgia who approached this guy's home Sunday night. The chief was trying to assist a driver stranded in the road. The driver had apparently hit a deer and couldn't call for help because I don't know rural Alabama poor cell phone service. So this fifty four year old fire chief, James Catherine, was working outside on a nearby property. He notices the stranded driver and his wife, So the chief and the driver decide to approach a.
Speaker 2: Home in the area.
Speaker 1: Apparently, this guy, William Franklin, stepped outside the home as these two guys were approaching and opened fire on both of them.
Speaker 3: All three of them suffered gunshot wounds in the shootout. The driver that had hit the deer and was had the car disabled, was apparently armed as well and returned fire.
Speaker 1: I had a calculus teacher in high school. Mister Shrick was his name, and he was a surly guy. And one Christmas, me and my girlfriends, who at a classes throughout the years, decided to go sing carols outside his home. We knew where it was. It was in right on Nevado Boulevards. It's turning into San Marein, like right before you get to sam Mareen and it's that wooded area to your left. If you're coming from Nevada.
Speaker 2: Where are you doing that?
Speaker 1: We thought it would be funny. It was like a funny thing. We were out stealing street signs. It's a Nevado thing board. You're driving around, you have your license, nothing to do. Steal in signs that say open trench to put on your friend's front porches, things like that. And we decided to sing Christmas carols outside mister Shrick's home, which was kind of like one of those really long driveways, a lot of trees on both sides, and we're like, oh, this will be so funny. We get there and mister Strick came out on the front porch with a shotgun and so get the hell out of here. So so that was the end of that. But this sounds kind of like what happened in Georgia.
Speaker 2: Shoot anybody.
Speaker 1: She did not, but he said, if you come back, I'll shoot you.
Speaker 3: All Yeah, good old fashioned teachers, That's that's what teachers.
Speaker 1: Everyone had a crush on, mister Shrek.
Speaker 2: No, they did not.
Speaker 1: They did even after that, huh, especially after that.
Speaker 3: All Right, historic snowfall bearing parts of the Gulf Coast because of a once in a generation winter storm that they say is wreaking havoc on travel. Airports in Houston had to be shut down earlier today, and they said that for the first time ever, parts of Louisiana are under a blizzard warning. Low temperatures, wind chills from the Canadian border all the way down to the Mexican border hitting dangerous levels for the second consecutive day. My daughter had snow in Waco, Texas yesterday.
Speaker 1: Did she make a snow angel.
Speaker 2: No, she did not. She stayed inside. Good told her, stay inside, stay in.
Speaker 1: You're just gonna tell her to stay inside the whole generation.
Speaker 2: She's in Texas. She was busy at the lab the whole time. Anyway, So yeah, I stay inside. The whole time, stay inside the whole time.
Speaker 3: Jet Blue is now going to take Venmo online for bookings, which is a first for airlines. That kind of surprised it hasn't happened to this point, but that's the deal. Venmo payment options now available on Jet Blue websites. They'll roll out on their mobile app in the coming months. And then, of course, the Ohio State outlasted Notre Dame to take home the national championship last night in college of football.
Speaker 1: I turned it off when I got to twenty eight to seven. I don't want to watch this.
Speaker 2: The fun it was a fun game.
Speaker 3: After that, Notre Dame put together a handful of plays that were.
Speaker 1: Like did they got within eight? And then that what fifty sixty yard bomb down the That must have just been a that's college that I know they talk about being the dagger play where you know you can't come back from.
Speaker 2: But that just and deflated.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, coming up next, we have your Jeopardy question.
Speaker 2: That's exciting, and what do you wear at the office.
Speaker 3: You and I don't have money recommend, We don't have any requirements.
Speaker 2: I think we like it.
Speaker 3: We wear hard pants. Hard Pants is one of them. But that even that was hard to come by. There were a few years in there where it was like, Okay.
Speaker 1: I've never come in here wearing leggings.
Speaker 2: Leggings.
Speaker 1: People were like leggings a lot. Yeah, yeah, here, don't I would not like it if you came in here wearing leggings.
Speaker 2: I would not imagine.
Speaker 3: I can almost guarantee that that will never happen. What do you mean almost No, I don't know. What do you mean, you don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're not shutting the door on that kind of love.
Speaker 2: Maybe I have a head injury.
Speaker 4: Hey, Shannon just did a deep dive on Ray Strike. This is Zach Seney Valley out here working these fires on PCH for storing the power lines. Ray Shrike had the longest be sure I think I've ever read. Really looked like he was your teacher about all high school. Yeah, sounded like it was a great dude, embellished about how poor he was. That was his claim to fame. But Ray Shrike, Yeah, looks like I good looking dude.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: One of my girlfriends texted me, She's like, not everybody had a crush on him, that was just you.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Oh, that's funny. Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: I do believe that somebody sent me this bit when it happened. Yeah, good time.
Speaker 2: That is hilarious.
Speaker 3: We are expecting President Trump to speak from the White House today. The new Press Secretary for the White House, Caroline leave It, had said that she wasn't planning any official news conference today or press briefing from the White House, but that she did say President Trump was going to tease a big infrastructure announcement from today. One of the other things that's been going on in the background we talked about. Senator Marco Rubio has now been officially confirmed and sworn in as the new Secretary of State.
Speaker 2: He was actually.
Speaker 3: Unanimously approved by the Senate ninety nine to nothing. The Senate Finance Committee, it also advanced the nomination of Scott Bessant for Treasury Secretary. And then more of these potential cabinet members are continuing their interviews. Congresswoman at least Stefanic was before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee this morning. The Senate Veterans Affairs Committee interviewed Doug Collins to be the next Secretary of the VA.
Speaker 1: We've got your chance at one thousand dollars? Do we do that? How come I never remember? Like? It completely is a tune out for me because you were looking at your mister shrikesbit, mister Shribit also is it because I can't win the money?
Speaker 2: So I don't care? I don't don't care.
Speaker 3: You know when someone introduces themselves to you and you forget their name immediately?
Speaker 1: No, I actually try really hard not to be that person, Like, who's our new boss?
Speaker 2: What's his name? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Somebody came in here told us we have a new boss. What's his name?
Speaker 2: Well? I don't want to know. I don't know if it's been public. Now, that's his first name? It starts with a B, does it? Yes? Wait, you forgot already? I did? No, you didn't?
Speaker 1: No, I really did? So you remember that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh it wasn't that bad? Oh yeah, yeah I remember? How about you Jeopardy question? Okay, how about that? If we didn't do that already?
Speaker 2: Did we have?
Speaker 1: This is when Jacob tells me I have cognitive decline. Shannon Shannon remember cash contest winners for six hundred dollars. In twenty nineteen, she won a Golden Globe for her role on the BBC America series Killing Eve.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, yeah, I will. Who is Jody Comer?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Yes no rhymes with no.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: That's why I said you were going to get it? Uh okay, I thought that Jody Comber did a.
Speaker 1: Better jo What it is you have against Sandra Oh, but you're she's right up there with the Diane Keaton Sometimes.
Speaker 2: No, it's different. I know.
Speaker 3: Listen, I feel bad every time we talk about clothes and the clothes that people wear to work. We're not the greatest. We're not the greatest jury for that because we work in a radio station, which is one step above a farm when it comes to the clothing that is acceptable to work, and even that is not right because in a farm you usually have had the equipments.
Speaker 2: To be that way.
Speaker 1: I mean twenty years ago, when I went to like at KFBK, people dressed professionally. I had like seventeen blazers.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I did not drag when I was there at first, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I always said I dressed. I always dressed overdressed, I should say. In fact, I remember the boss saying, what are you going to do in your your skirt and your heels? When I send you out.
Speaker 2: To a fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you always had a change of clothes. There's car that's part of it. It's also a functional thing. I mean, right, I bet I covered the capitol though.
Speaker 3: That was the thing is you could go from a city council meeting to the double murder site.
Speaker 1: And back then you couldn't get into courthouses unless you had a jacket on.
Speaker 3: I remember in the state of Washington when I would cover the capitol, I just stuff. In Olympia, if I didn't have a jacket, I.
Speaker 1: Was I was not allowed to cover a trial once because I didn't have a jacket with you.
Speaker 3: So there are different workplaces where the attire is important.
Speaker 1: I think my point was things have changed in twenty years now a lot more is acceptable. I mean just look at the airports alone and people just wear their pajamas, and the number of blankets that appear in the workplace as well. I mean there's really been a sl lied when it comes to what's acceptable, and now the very bare minimum is acceptable.
Speaker 3: Well, there's an article Wall Street Journal was the new rules for appropriate office where we'll have to do it when we come back. But just in terms of what it is that you think is acceptable. I my wife was the one who told me. It's not her phrase, but she told me one time, newly married, and I was frustrated at work, and she's we're trying to brainstorm how I'm going to get out of this rut, and she said to me, dressed to the position to which she aspired, that's the rule.
Speaker 2: And again it's not wasn't her comment.
Speaker 3: She wasn't, But it changed the way I thought about what I was doing. Right, So I did start wearing a tie to work, and I got a new.
Speaker 2: Job quickly after that.
Speaker 3: See, it wasn't because they fired me because it was weren't a tie. It was because I had changed my attitude about where I worked and what I thought my value.
Speaker 1: You have to go no further than Dion Sanders. Look good, feel good, play good, Hey you good.
Speaker 3: Fashion houses have decided that the office needs to be perked up a little bit. Classics like suits and pencil skirts are getting a new rebrand. They're saying that it's sexier and more youthful. But crop tops, pajama pants and miniskirts are all fair game.
Speaker 2: They say.
Speaker 3: When it comes to officewear. Crop tops, pajama pants, and mini skirts.
Speaker 1: We've seen all of that for years.
Speaker 3: But but I like I say, this is not necessarily the greatest right measure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like an office building, if I'm if.
Speaker 3: My if my daughter goes to work for Deloitte or something like that, an accounting organization or a law firm or something, there's a certain expectation about how you're going to dress and present yourself. But they said that a couple of a couple of brands are using less than traditional workwar and using the friends like corp Core Office Siren which adds a little sexy part to it, I guess, and corporate fetish as ways to market the clothing that they're suggesting would be appropriate in the workplace.
Speaker 1: Whatever you're holding right now in your hand is not appropriate.
Speaker 2: That's my shoulder. No, no, no, the photo on the article.
Speaker 1: Oh you can see that already. Yeah, this is apparently a you can see the bottom of your ass cheek?
Speaker 2: You can't. You can't see that.
Speaker 1: That's because she's not turned around.
Speaker 3: At j Crue, they have sheer tops and mini skirts that are marketed as where to work, although that I would argue is too many for work at least. Yeah, Aritzia, they said that the effortless pant has taken over many young women's work wardrobes, as has that office Siren ad campaign that features the tight fitting off the shoulder dress. And they said, all of this is just they're trying to relax work wardrobe. They're trying to prove to people that the classic office suit became a trend to people who never even set foot in a cubicle. But it's important because some people have now said that this helps them feel more focused at work if they know that they have to have a certain look to them. I've seen crop tops in the office, for example. I've seen some leggings. But Rachel Goldstein, a twenty four year old strategy analyst whatever that is, says, I think a lot of gen Z thinks going into the office would be more fun if I dressed well.
Speaker 2: Of course, it is.
Speaker 1: Dress nicely for work one day, and then the next day dress like a hobo and figure out what day worked better for you if you're going to and I have this thought with myself all the time, where I'll put on a sweatshirt and tennis shoes and be like, all right, I'm going to work.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait, get a load of this good a day?
Speaker 1: Are you planning on having like a schlep just slept schlep sitting at a desk day? Like, how about maybe put on some put on some clothes that you want, just lounger on the house and your freaking lazy hobo. That's what I say to myself in the mirror, you lazy hobo.
Speaker 3: And you have a have an interesting mirror voice, do I Yeah, just that you'd say things like that to yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Look at you?
Speaker 1: My grandfather woke up in a three piece suit and I'm going to a place in the only business and it's in a in a spree sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: He had one three piece suit, No, he had several. He was a bit of a clothes horse. Oh my grandpa did not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had one and it was always clean somehow how Oh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They lived at the laundermat pretty much. I mean that all of their clothes were always so laundered and clean. I'm like my.
Speaker 3: Hobo, but it takes I think people are afraid that they don't have the ability to express themselves the way.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: I'm almost barfing when I say it. But it takes away their ability to express themselves in their own way.
Speaker 1: Express yourself through being productive at work and doing a good job, and people will notice you. People aren't going to notice you from your T shirt and be like, I want to find out more about that person. No, No, do a good job your T shirt right now? What about the Paris Red Peppers. Yeah, while a conversation.
Speaker 2: Topic, that's why I'm wearing a shirt over it.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine. I'm just saying that's not what makes you have a good day at work. You expressing yourself being a baseball fan. What makes you have a good day at work is doing a good job, I hope. So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're saying I could wear leggings tomorrow as long as I do a good job.
Speaker 1: I could if you wear leggings, I am turning around and leaving.
Speaker 3: All right, we don't need to know everything when we come back.
Speaker 2: The Dorothea Puente story, Remember that name.
Speaker 1: No one wants to see that ass in a pair of leggings.
Speaker 2: That's not true. That is not true. There is a lid for every pot.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, Okay, Dorothea Puente, the Grandmother from Hell brings us true crime Tuesday.
Speaker 4: The story is true, sounds true?
Speaker 2: No, it sounds made up. I don't know. Parry and Shannon present true crime.
Speaker 1: Dorothea Puente. If you spent any time in Sacramento, the name is familiar. Why because it's rare that a sweet little old grandmother.
Speaker 2: Is a serial killer.
Speaker 1: Dorothea ran a local boarding house there, and now she is no longer with us. She died in twenty eleven. She was a white haired landlady. She would hand out homemade tamale's. She was very much into her gardening, rose beds, vegetable garden, tending to them all the time. But there was something else in that yard, not just rose, bushes and turnips.
Speaker 2: What was it? Bodies? Oh, that's right, that would turn up.
Speaker 3: So in the eighties, Dorothea Puente had opened her house as a boarding home and would help people with mental health drug abuse issues.
Speaker 2: And a bunch of.
Speaker 3: Social workers in the area knew of Dorothea Puente, and they knew that she had space, so they would recommend potential tenants to her, and she had a pretty good reputation. Most of the neighbors and the people in the community who knew her said she was just this kindly, old, big hearted woman who wanted to help these down and outers.
Speaker 1: In fact, several social workers in the area would recommend tenants to Dorothea. She gained a good reputation there in the community.
Speaker 3: The problem is she had murdered several of those tenants over the years and started collecting their social Security checks, and that she would even continue to write letters to the dead people's family members for months following their deaths in order to cover her tracks and lead to families to believe that there was nothing wrong and that their loved one was still alive somewhere.
Speaker 1: Dorothea Puente, Well, how did she get caught? It was February nineteen eighty eight when Dorothea took Alvero went by Bert Montoya into her care. Social worker Judy Moyce recommended Bert. He was fifty two, he was experiencing homelessness, and he stopped showing up to meetings with the social worker Judy. So she grows concerned, and she was a little suspicious about Grandma Dorothea because Dorothea was giving inconsistent answers about where Bert had gone. And so Judy's like hey, nine to one one investigators go take a look at good old Grandma Dorothea's home because I can't find my guy who is coming to me religiously, and she's been kind squirrely about where he's been at. Well, they sweep the home and they eventually dig up the bodies of not only Bert, but six other people in the backyard.
Speaker 3: Police didn't initially suspect that Grandma, big hearted old Dorothea Puente would have done this. They did not even arrest her right away, but she ran away to Vaga. I'm sorry. She ran away to Los Angeles and people's and police's suspicion were raised. They started looking for her and figured out why are trying to figure out why she would have run, so sends him on a man hunt. Four days later, they take her into custody after an old guy at a bar here in La strikes up a conversation with her and recognizes her from the news.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So she faced trial for the murders in nineteen ninety three. She was found guilty of three of them. The jury deliberated for twenty four days, and that is telling. That's one of the ways that she was probably able to evade any sort of suspicion, even after all those people went missing in her backyard, because who's going to believe that she had anything to do with it? Their wayward people, youth, for the most part, they're living life on the edges of society. Why would you believe that the grandmother who's given them a roof over their heads would have killed them and buried them in her backyard. I mean that alone is a lot that takes a lot.
Speaker 2: Being a grave to bury bodies, that.
Speaker 1: Takes a lot of elbow grease. She died, I would imagine natural.
Speaker 3: She died from natural causes back in twenty eleven, but gave some jailhouse interviews to sack Town Magazine before she died and said she's not guilty. She described herself extremely well or a routine oriented. She claimed to be devoutly religious.
Speaker 2: A routine killer. Well, there's that.
Speaker 3: And what did she miss most about the outside world, she said, go to church every day, cooking what I want, and working in my yard to bury the bodies.
Speaker 2: I mean to tend to my roses.
Speaker 1: The property, by the way, has become somewhat of a macabre tourist attraction in Sacramento.
Speaker 3: I remember looking that up a few years ago. We talked about the case in much greater detail, and you can on Google Earth. I don't know if it's still there, but they had put like a mannequin on the front porch.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of the guys that bought Okay, so Barbara and Tom are the people who bought the home. It was at auction in twenty ten, and Tom is leaned into the history. He dresses up this puente like mannequin on the front porch, framed photographs on the wall that document Dorothea's history there. He said that people stop by multiple times a day to catch a glimpse of where these crimes took place. That's taking it a step to two. But coming up next week on True Crime Tuesday, we're going to be talking about how Tom may be onto something, how this macabre true crime tourism may be the next chapter.
Speaker 2: Get a life that's weird. I would do it. I would go to these places.
Speaker 1: Like I said, pick pick up a better hobby, go to Michael's something, maybe nit a quilt, some sort of nit quilt.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI Am six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.