Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talk Fight Back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers defeat the Philadelphia Phillies by a final score of five to three on a very emotional night at Dodgers Stadium, as Freddie Freeman returned to the starting lineup tonight. Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eleven o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports. We have phone lines open at eight six six ninety seven two five seventy. We will hear from Tyler Glass. Now, we will hear from Dave Roberts, we will hear from Jose Mota. And I also had a chance to catch up with Mookie Betts and he gave us an update on where he's at in his recovery and also where he might or might not play when he returns. So you'll hear from Mookie Bets as far as that goes. And also we'll hear from Freddie Freeman again because it was an emotional night here at Dodgers Stadium. Obviously you want to win the game. Obviously you want to beat the Phillies, who swept the Dodgers earlier this year in their ballpark. And the win is big in a couple of different ways, because the Dodgers now are just a game back in the lost column of Philadelphia for the best record in the National League. The Phillies have not won a series since they swept the Dodgers back in Philadelphia on July ninth, tenth, and eleventh. Since then, the Phillies have not won a series, and that's part of the reason why they have been brought back to the pack and the Dodgers are just a game back of them for the best record in the National League. The Dodgers also maintain a five game lead over both Arizona and sam Diego in the NLS. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number man Freddie Freeman. What a night for him. Forty eight thousand, one hundred and seventy eight showered Freddie Freeman with a lot of love tonight in his first at bat. That was really special and I loved how they did not turn on the pitch clock here at Dodger Stadium. They understood the moment. The home played umpire tonight. Marvin Hudson understood the moment, and that's what's been missing at different points in time with this pitchclock, home played umpire, not understanding the moment, the pitch clock timer not understanding the moment. But give credit to everybody involved tonight because they understood the moment. They understood it was going to be an emotional first at bat for Freddy Freeman. They understood this. Forty eight thousand plus wanted to salute him and let him know that he has the support of Dodger fans and everybody involved in this community, because come on, no three year old should have to go through having a breathing tube a ventilator, And like Freddy said before the game, today there are so many young children out there fighting for their lives, and when it hits you as close as it hit Freddie Freeman and his wife Chelsea, it just puts a lot of perspective in your life. But it was great to see Freddie Freeman back here at Dodger Stadium because when we got word he was going to be here and hold a press conference at three o'clock. That was a sign that Max Freeman was on his way back to getting his health in order and being a healthy young three year old. So that was really positive. And look, maybe this hits me more because I'm a parent of two kids' eight and eleven years old. If you have kids, you understand it. If you had kids that are going through a tough time and needing to fight through health issues, obviously our thoughts and prayers are with you as well. But it was great to see Freddie Freeman back here at Dodgers Stadium. As far as the game went tonight, Tyler Glass Now was dominant in the first inning. You know, he struck out the side in order. I know the Phillies have been struggling, but it's impressive to see him dominate Schwarber, Trey Turner, and Bryce Harper the way he did in the first inning, and it set the tone for the game, striking all three of those guys out. They were all swinging. He had his fastball, he had a slider working against all three of those very dangerous Phillies batters. He finished with nine strikeouts tonight and now has a career high in strikeouts in a season one hundred and sixty four strikeouts on the year, and Tyler Glass now, despite having some time off with some back issues, is still on pay for two one hundred and thirty five strikeouts. That would be the most by a Dodger right handed pitcher since the Tornado. Hideo Nomo struck out two hundred and thirty six in nineteen ninety five. That's how dominant Tyler Glass now has been. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from tonight's winning picture.
Speaker 3: Kind I felt a little lot of whack, but I think those the days you feel like that, you just kind of empty your brain and just try to go compete. So I think the positive today for me was just kind of ignore how I feel and just go and try to attack.
Speaker 2: His own Okay, it just results bindside for you, please Reta, I hear that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess with how I felt and how it turned out, Yeah, it was all right, some work to do, but it was good.
Speaker 2: He says, more interested sorts.
Speaker 4: What we got sort of felt a little better today.
Speaker 3: I think I've been getting a little predictable with hears and sequencing and stuff, so I'm just trying to mix that in a bit more like last start in the start, and I feel like I've used it a lot more.
Speaker 4: You know, you kind of talking about finding here we're not feeling great. Do you feel that something that you've gotten a better.
Speaker 3: At it's probably over like the course of my career. Yeah, it's kind of like up and down, but I do feel like it's trending up over my career for sure.
Speaker 4: Is that part of the plans would be really slider heavy to night.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of it's dictated off of like warm ups and how it's coming out early. But that was something we talked about before, just trying not to be so predictable with my heater. But yeah, a little bit more slider usage to night.
Speaker 1: Could you said started opening day obviously?
Speaker 5: You know the seer playoffs, meaning I do a lot of.
Speaker 1: I would be kind of in the brace that role.
Speaker 3: I guess I kind of just I want to just keep my routine the same.
Speaker 4: Honestly.
Speaker 3: I think like all the extra stuff is it's cool and it's nice to be acknowledged that way. But I think for me, what's helped me most of my career is just trying to like take each start as each start comes, you know, and just do what I can to control what I can, and the rest.
Speaker 4: Is what it is.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Tyler Glass now after a solid night, a dominating night in some ways, six innings, nine strikeouts, and now his record is nine and six on the season. He beats Aaron Nola, who is eleven and five now, and Daniel Hudson with his eighth save of the season. Tyler Glass now was talking about his slider. He threw forty two sliders. That was the pitch he threw more than any other tonight of his ninety one forty two sliders, thirty five fastballs and fourteen curveballs. So you know, it's one thing to have dominant stuff, but major leaguers can hit ninety five ninety six one hundred miles an hour if they're waiting for it, and if it doesn't have late carry on it or if you're becoming too predictable. And I loved hearing Tyler Glass now understand the sequencing, understand what hitters were doing, what they were waiting for. And that's a big time pitcher right there that understood it. So love hearing that type of stuff. Also, you know this bullpen has started to bounce back. I mentioned in the Clubhouse show how yesterday River Ryan went four and a third innings and the bullpen only allowed one hit the rest of the way tonight. What a tremendous performance by the Dodger bullpen again. Newly acquired Michael Kopek has been solid, throwing strikes. A scoreless seventh inning for him. Anthony Bunda with the eighth inning tonight, put up a zero. He now has seven straight scoreless innings and Daniel Hudson, the anchor of that bullpen, the veteran leader of that bullpen, is eighth save of the year. So this Dodger bullpen is starting to come out of their valley at the right time. And they also got reinforcements today because Bruce Starr Graderol was activated before tonight's game. Graderol has not pitched a single pitch all season long. The Dodgers placed Blake Trenan on the fifteen day IL to activate Grattarol and to make room for Freddie Freeman and Graderol. The Dodgers death signated for assignment. Cavin Bigio eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Bruce, who is at Dodger Stadium tonight. An emotional night here. Hum, Bruce, Hey, Dave, how you doing great?
Speaker 6: I cannot understand how they could possibly give Pastianos a hit instead of an error on a ninety missed catch.
Speaker 2: Bruce, you came to the game tonight, and that's the first thing you want to talk about. You don't want to talk about Freddie Freeman. You don't want to talk about glass now you want You don't want to talk about Otani. You want to talk about a square.
Speaker 6: No, the most important thing of the night was the standing ovation for Freddy when he came up to bat Well, that was a moment.
Speaker 2: I was a little nervous about you, Bruce.
Speaker 6: No, no, but you're right, but you had already spoken about that.
Speaker 2: But I want to hear about the fans perspective. You were in the crowd. Okay. So they they called it a triple. The reason why, I guess Paz did not put a glove on it. Maybe he lost it in the setting sun to twilight. So that's the reason why they called it a triple. If it clanked off his glove, it's an automatic error for me.
Speaker 6: Okay, But it was a ninety probability catch. I mean muffed it and everybody saw a mu muffet.
Speaker 2: He tried, you know, he didn't. It's it's fine either way, Bruce, but I could tell you this around Major League Baseball, it seems like there's been a little bit of pressure put on these official scores to reflect more offense in the game.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, Bruce, were up playing The game was huge and but nothing, nothing tops the welcome back to Freddie and our prayers continue for Max.
Speaker 2: All right, Bruce, I love it. That's a good way to end the call. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Can I just take a pause right there? I mean we're talking about Freddie Freeman. He was at the game forty eight thousand plus. Gave Freddie a standing ovation, and Bruce came in hot about the scoring on Castellanos's triple. He wanted an era badly on Andy Pajes. He didn't even bring up the fact that Pa haz redeemed himself and put the Dodgers ahead two to one to really continue that third inning where the Dodgers scored four runs. Wow, Bruce, you saved it though at the end, eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Phillies tonight six to five, and despite the Dodgers basically trying to hold down the fort until their players come back, they are just one game back of the Phillies for the best record in the National League. And speaking of players coming back, it was very encouraging for everybody that was here at Dodgers Stadium early to see guys like Mookie Bets and Max Mounthsy working out, Miguel Rojas and Tommy Edmund taking swings. Chris Taylor was moving around. He's on the IL with a growing strain to have Bruce Starr Graderol come back moments before first pitch officially, despite it coming at the cost of Blake Truent and having to go on the IL, these guys are starting to come back. Mooki Bets is on track to come back in Milwaukee a week from tonight. I had a chance to catch up with Mookie and we talked about where he's at and where he may play when he returns.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I mean, I haven't talked to talk about it. I mean there's a lot of guys that can play short here, So you know, if that's not in the cars, then you know that's cool. I'm just gonna that's the best position for me. I can go from there anywhere else. So I just prepare and wherever I land is where I land.
Speaker 2: Mookie, that's unusual that a superstar player of your caliber is so willing to change positions for the team. But realize how unique that is to make yourself so vulnerable to do that.
Speaker 4: No, I just.
Speaker 5: You know, it is what it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just to.
Speaker 5: Your point, being vulnerable and knowing that if it goes wrong, you know, a lot of bad articles and stuff are gonna come out about you. But you know, so I was also accepting that, you know, it's also accepting that challenge because you know, on the other side of fear is a lot of a lot of bliss and glory, and I'm looking for that bliss and glory.
Speaker 2: Love hearing that from Mookie bets because when it comes time for the bell to ring, he is going to do whatever the Dodgers need for them to try to make a run in October, whether that's playing right field, whether that means playing shortstop. It sounds like Mookie Bets is open to that, and I really mean it. How many superstars out there would be willing to move not just once, not just twice, but three times in the same season for let's face it, lesser individual players, but for the greater good of the sum. They'll do that for you. There's no other superstar I know that would do that voluntarily without an injury being in play. Mookie Betts went from second base in spring training to shortstop two days before they left for Korea. He gets hit by a pitch on his left hand six weeks ago. Is going to come back and maybe not have his shortstop position. But I will say this, I believe when Mooki does come back next week, you are still going to see him at shortstop. But there are going to be times as things progress that you may see him go out to right field when the postseason begins. That's all on Mooki and the Dodgers evaluating whether or not he has I add this unfortunate time on the il to maybe recalibrate his throws because he had been getting to a lot of balls hit his way. The throws have been the biggest issue as far as him learning shortstop on the fly. But let's be honest here, if you're in a postseason game, game six of a best of seven, isn't the best alignment for Mookie Bets to be in right field and Miguel Rojas to be at shortstop. Miguel Rojas, by the way, told me today thumbs up. I'm ready to go. It's just when the Dodgers want to activate me. So he's back. He's ready. But I would not rule out the possibility when Mookie Bets is activated next week that he's not the Dodgers shortstop and Miguel Rojas spells him here and there. But I definitely believe we underappreciate the level of superstar Mookie Bets is and his willingness to move these positions and be vulnerable, to open himself up to a lot of criticism, but doing it for the greater good of the team. To me, that's the most impressive part of this whole thing. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Phillies five to three. Let's go out to Drina who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Drina were you upset about a scoring error or were you just happy to be here to celebrate Freddy.
Speaker 8: Hi, Dave, thanks for taking our call. It's my husband, Matt and I. Our kids are sleeping in the backseat, but we had no intention on going to the game today. I'm a teacher. It was my first day back and I got home from school and my husband's like, hey, there's some last minute tickets, let's go, And so we went, and the Freddie moment just took our breath away. Our son was in the hospital for one hundred and three days on a ventilator, fighting for his life from the moment he was born, and those difficult days we know so well, and we were both so choked up. Everybody everyone's heart just poured out for Freddy, for Max, for Chelsea, for the whole family, and we are just sending so many prayers. And when so many people come together and do such amazing things and pray so hard, phenomenal things happen. Miracles happen every day. So we just wanted to say, like, we love Chelsea and Freddy and Max and the whole family and sending prayers. Thank you for taking our golf.
Speaker 2: Hey, God, bless you and your family, Drina. We're glad your your little one is on the way to just enjoying a normal kid's life with two great parents. It sounds like, thank you so much.
Speaker 8: He lives for Dodger baseball. He's four years old now and all he wants to do is play bass.
Speaker 2: So love a DREAMA glad you were here. Thanks a lot for the phone call. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy. Now that's what it's all about, right there. Freddie Freeman is not alone. There are so many parents out there that wish they could trade places with their sick children, whether it's for nine days, one hundred and three days, or years. We all know that feeling if you're a parent. But awesome to hear that phone called Drina, thank you so much, And moments after the final out tonight we had a chance to catch up with Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 9: Dodgers fans made it very special but also very hard to hit in that first at bat. You know, obviously me being here that means good things are happening at our house right now. Max is on his way to being on his way to recovery. But I can't say I can't express the gratitude that Chelsea and I have received over this last eight nine days, the love and support that not Dodger fans, but of all of Major League Baseball and Baseball fans and some people not even fans, that have shown us over the last week and a half. And it's just good to see green grass.
Speaker 4: It's nice.
Speaker 9: It's good to be here. I'm happy to be here. I'm glad this one's out of the way. Got the first hit too. I was surprised look at it hit tonight. But I just again, I can't. I know you guys are listening the radio and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: I just thank you very much for the bottom of our heart. You've shown us grace over this last eight nine days.
Speaker 2: It feels like the city of Los Angeles gape the Freeman family a big hug the last seven nine days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we felt it. We really did. We needed all of that.
Speaker 9: Uh, to be honest with you, that that hug was huge and we.
Speaker 4: Still need it.
Speaker 9: You know, it's still gonna be a long journey for Max, but we know he's gonna be okay.
Speaker 4: Uh, he's already fighting.
Speaker 9: He was like before I came out here, is on his stomach doing tummy time.
Speaker 4: So things are. We're working on some things. PT.
Speaker 9: We got PT at noon tomorrow, so he's gonna hate that, but you know, it's just good.
Speaker 4: I'm just glad that I'm.
Speaker 9: Here because I mean, things are happening in a in a positive manner for Maximist.
Speaker 2: The song played We love La, but I feel like everybody loves Max Freeman and Freddie's family. So big hug from all of us. Freddy, you mean a lot to all of us and you're You're part of our family for sure.
Speaker 9: Thank you, David, and again Dodger fans, thank you very very much from the bottom of our heart.
Speaker 2: There he is Freddy Freeman of very thankful and grateful Freddie Freeman for many things in his life these days. And obviously our thoughts and prayers are still with the Freeman family, still in uphill Climb. But it was great to see Freddie back here, and it was great to see Freddie smile again. And it was a great moment again for Dodger fans, the way they showered Freddie Freeman with that wonderful ovation in his first at bat. That will go down as one of the best moments of the season. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, we'll take more phone calls and we'll check in with Jose Mota. After the Dodgers defeat the Phillies five to three, Max Strong on five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seven e LA sports dot Com hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Bassey.
Speaker 10: Pitch Hernandez lace bliftfield hooking toward the corner. It Teoscar Hernandez squeeze is a two roup glass inside the foul pole down the left BW line, and the Dodgers have a Ford spot on the third day, lead by two.
Speaker 2: Taoscar Hernandez hitting three to zero six since he won the home run derby in Texas. That was his fifth home run since the All Star Break that capped off a four run inning against Aaron Nola in the third. As the Dodgers go on to beat Nola and the Phillies tonight five to three. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip Around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers owned the dream. One other thing about the forty eight thousand plus that gave Freddy Freeman a standing ovation in his first plate appearance tonight. One of those forty eight thousand plus was nineteen eighty eight World Series MVP Oral Herscheiser, who was not in the broadcast booth tonight. He was on the pre and postgame show out there in the centerfield plaza. Once he was done with the pregame show, he comes back along with John Hartungue and Jerry and those guys. They're usually in that dugout club. But from what I understand, orl Herscheizer ran out from inside the indoor area of the Diamond Club and came out to give a standing ovation right behind home plate, right where Dennis Go Go Gilbert sits orl Herscheiser came right up against the screen to give a standing ovation and be part of that emotional moment here at Dodger Stadium. And I know everybody up here had chill's. I know Rick Munday obviously cares a lot for Freddi. We all do. He's uh, he's one of the good guys that are easy to root for. So definitely, uh. I love I love the fans and the reception they gave. I love that phone call we got from Dina there. But when you have a Dodger legend that embodies a lot of what this organization is about to do, what he did tonight, that speaks volumes in itself as well. All right, let's head to Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, what an emotional night here at Dodgers Stadium. What was the feeling like in the Spanish radio booth?
Speaker 11: Oh, the same feeling pretty much that prevailed throughout the stadium before the game watching Freddie take ground balls, He's like, what is going through his mind right now? And we're relieved for him to be at the ballpark. It's pretty much, you know, relating to what you were talking about before, Dave. You know, we've all had young children. We know what it's like to at least care for them, and you know them with a little cough, a little fever, you're like panicing, right, So I just imagine what they had gone through. And you know, I really want to credit Chelsea Freeman in this day of social media to not be afraid to go out there and keep everybody aware and alert on always going on, because it takes a lot of guts in a big heart and a lot of caring for sure to do that. And I think it almost made us, all of us at least will be aware of what we're going through. But also where what you know, how they were passing through, the whole moments and the support they were getting. So from the butt of our heart, I mean thoughts and prayers, and I know he still has to go out there and do what he needs to do with the PTS as Fredie was talking about. But more we're so thankful to the Lord for this moment today is seeing Freddie out there. It just gives us goosebumps, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: And I talked about Oral Hersheizer being a big part of the Dodger family. So is your dad, manny Mota. I saw him again before the game today, jose Yese he picked as his player of the game.
Speaker 11: Let me see the guy with thirty three home months plus one now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, so your dad wins again. Otani with his thirty fourth home run of the year and also with his thirty second stolen base. Forty forty is on pace right now for Otani.
Speaker 11: He's in a mission. I mean, I'm glad for Shohey to be able to have big hits and you know that one, that one run lay in the game, and it means so much considering everything the bullpen has gone through and those guys have battled through so much. But for Showy to cut down the swing and you know, Oakland did a good job pitching to him. We saw the potters how they pull him off the plate, and today was a little bit quieter thinking through the middle. And he's on a mission here. I mean, this guy, you know, has a good taste of what winning is like for the first time of his career. But the push of a fan base is like, you know, we're forty eight thousan fifty thousand strong pretty much every night at home, and then the people that he's attracting on the road. So I'm glad that he's pretty much just splind every single face of his game at the highest level, because it's hard to do that. Considered that he is also rehabbing his arms, so his days are not just about the aging and going out there and you know, getting ready to be I mean, his days are full of other things that a lot of position players don't go through. What He's part of the great club, great support system, and I know he's feeding off with his teammates experienced in the past, and they know what's all about, you know, coming home for the last couple of months, Jose.
Speaker 2: We spoke to Dodgers' first base coach Clayton McCullough yesterday on the pregame show because he is such a big part of Otani and the rest of the Dodgers stealing bases, and he said, the one thing that is really remarkable about Otani two things that you may not see on the surface. Number One, when they're in the video room, O'tani puts in a lot of time studying pictures and their moves and just how he can get an edge to steal these bases. And another point that McCullough brought up yesterday was that how good of a textbook slider Otani is, especially with review and the pop up slide and all that stuff. If you're a fan, definitely pay attention to the way Otani slides. It's what you want to teach every kid, right, Jose.
Speaker 11: You pick a lane and you go for that lane. Also there's lanes that allow you to take the best jumps and the best looks in different stadiums. I think you and I were talking about this, and I took you over in Pittsburgh. I said, look, how where this cut of the grass is? Remember that how close to this to the base pass? All those things matter so much and show hey, who is so meticulous, is so methodical, And yes, he is very inquisitive about things like that. A second advantage pretty much everything that the games allowed them to take advantage of. Where do you slide? Also on who's covering. You know, the guy that's covering the back from one side to the other might have a better chance of tagging you on the back side of the front side. And all those things you decide you study video, but also you decide on the fly as to where am I going to go? And I'm glad the things are paying up for him, you know. And I'm glad you mentioned played mccallough because for so many years, you know, people give credit to the manager, giving the stolen base sign. But also there's a lot to be told about a first base coach and a third base coach, especially first base to giving you the times and a times w he see the green license not now because he's had this live step right. All those things matter a lot. And then on top of this is Shojo TONI is not afraid of getting thrown out, David. There's a lot of fast based runners that I've seen through my years in the big leagues that are afraid of getting thrown out on the basebos. This guy's not afraid because he trusts the study. He's done his abilities, and certainly who's on the mountain the study.
Speaker 12: He's not to say I'm going to go.
Speaker 11: I'm not I'm not going to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tani has not been caught that many times this year. He is thirty two for thirty six this year and stolen base attempts, so certainly the percentage is well above where the average is. Jose Mode is joining us. After the Dodgers beat the Phillies five to three, I felt like Tyler Glass now really set the tone for this game in the very first inning. Jose, how refreshing was it to hear a pitcher understand that he needed to mix up his sequencing even with the great stuff he has.
Speaker 11: Boy, how many times have you and I talked about, you know, not being predictable In the guy like glass, I'm saying, I'm going to go slider heavy to day because I see the swings that are taking on my fastballs. It's pretty much an idea and a guy that you know it's never getting some new waters for him, Let's put it that way. He knows and understands the league. When you are a premier pitcher, when you are a strikeout pitcher, play for all. Didn't want to get behind and counts because you know you have to wipe out stuff. You have the strikeout you know, ability against anybody, right, and then to trust himself enough to readjust on the fly. He wanted to think Bernandro and we're talking about today in the broadcast was some of the sladders that he threw too hard and kind of backfart on him a little bit more. He's able to bring it back. And it brought me back to Jack Flowerdy the other day doing the same thing in changing speech on that side. So the more teams see him, Uh, the velocity of the fastball is going to matter, but also the velocity and the slaughterer. He got seven swings and missus on that slider day out of the twenty swings that were taking against him, and the overall seventeen swings and missus including the fastball, all because the combinations they have of not impredictable and stayble the course and not very from it. Knowing that the anybody's sitting at a hitter guy six eight those ninety eight, but we throw a bender, little wrinkle Nott there puts you makes you think a little bit more about what you might see later in that of bat.
Speaker 2: Love it, Jose, I love hearing that. I love that a great pitcher with great stuff recognizes that part of the game to get the edge. Thanks a lot for staying up late with us, Jose Moto. We'll see you back out at the ballpark tomorrow night.
Speaker 11: For you anytime, because you are the lovable by the best sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, Thanks Jose, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Phillies tonight five to three. They're now just one game back of Philadelphia for the best record in the National League. And think about this, Mookie Betts, Max Muncy, Miguel Rojas, Chris Taylor, Tommy Edmund, Michael Grove, Yoshi Yamamoto, all on the way back. The position player group is going to be very full here in the next two to three weeks. And the Dodgers certainly have some tough decisions to make, not only on their twenty six man roster, but on their forty man roster with some of these guys coming off the sixty day IL, and talking to Andrew Freeman earlier today, he understands there's some tough decisions to make, but he's still in the wade and see approach because it really hasn't come together where all these guys have been healthy at the same time. So we'll see where it goes from here. But already the Dodgers had to make a roster move to bring Bruce Star Graderol off the sixty day IL, They needed to designate for assignment Cavin Bigio, and to activate Freddie Freeman. Blake China was placed on the fifteen day IL. So all these things are moving parts. And Miguel Rojas, like I told you said to me, this afternoon. I'm ready to go, just up to then up to the Dodgers to decide when they want me to be activated. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to George, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, George, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 12: Hello, Miss Bess. Having a good night, Just David want to yeah, oh day, Okay, there you go, David, no worries. I just want to say it was a special knight for you know. It was amazing how everybody just kind of stood up, gave him a standing ovation and the Philadelphia Philly shows some class I think there's catcher stubs came out and he kind of let Freddie Freeman have that moment, which was a class act for sure. It was great to see.
Speaker 2: I love that because we're losing some of these moments with the pitch clock, and it's great when everybody's aware about what the moment is going to be, whether it's something like this or let's say, when Justin Turner comes back with the Mariners, it's the first time you'll be playing at Dodgers Stadium since he left the Dodgers. Turn that pitch clock off. Let this guy have his.
Speaker 12: Moment exactly exactly. So you know, Philly showed a lot of class and it was great to see everybody stand up and give him a standing ovation. So it was great to see. But the one thing I just wanted to just to make a comment on, it's like, let's not panic about the Dodgers going through the slump. You know, we've had the great regular seasons and didn't get us anywhere. So I always tell all my buddies and everybody, just, you know what, let's get to the get to the postseason, and let's win it all. You know, whatever we do in the regular season, it doesn't matter to me anymore. It's like, let's just get to the playoffs. But let's win in the playoffs. And I don't care if we win one hundred games, ninety eight games. Just get to the postseason and let's win in the postseason.
Speaker 2: All right, George, thanks for the phone call. Appreciate it, love the passion, And to what your point was, I feel like the Dodgers still have not played their best baseball of the season as a group, and for the last two months they haven't been healthy as a group, and now it feels like with the additions of Jack Flaherty, Tommy Edmund, Ahmed Rosario and Miguel Rojas coming back, it feels like the Dodgers are going to be getting their position players healthy now in the next seven to ten days, and once they get these guys back together, it may be the right time where they start to hit their stride in September and play their best baseball going into October. When was the last time you could say, out of all these dominant Dodger teams that they were playing their best baseball in September. I can't think of one team that you can say was playing their best baseball going into September. Maybe the twenty eighteen Dodgers because obviously the Rockies were on their tail. Maybe the twenty one Dodgers because they were neck and neck with the Giants. But it's been a couple of years at the very least, that the Dodgers have not been playing that great going into October, and there is no time to play the long game and you know, do the load management thing. In September. The Dodgers will continue to manage pitching workloads and obviously keep some of their veteran players, position players well rested and healthy as best do they as best as they can for October. But it feels like these guys are going to be getting healthy. At the same time, there's a lot of urgency, not just as a group but individually to try to stay on this roster because there's not enough spots for everybody. So it feels like the perfect storm is happening. We'll see whether or not that manifests itself on the field, but to me, it feels like there is a perfect storm for the Dodgers to really have a lot of momentum going into October this year, and with the Dodgers playing five hundred baseball for the better part of sixty games, there's still just a game back of the best record in the National League. Think about the position the Dodgers are in right now. It's a pretty good position to be in, all right. Tomorrow night, Clayton Kershaw will be on the mound for the third time this season. I have a lot of strong thoughts about people's doubts in Kershaw after just one or two starts this year. Give this guy a chance to work it out. He's having to come up with a different pitch to help him get through just what he has. Stuff wise, scouts have told me up here they believe that Kershaw needs that split change, and they have seen him throw it in his previous two starts, so I know he was working on it in his last bullpen session. But the point is, let's get give this guy some grace. Give this guy a chance. He just had major shoulder surgery in December and he's back sooner than what everybody expected. Give this guy a chance. Even if he doesn't pitch well tomorrow night, give this guy a chance. At least give this guy five starts. I feel like he deserves that benefit of the doubt, and until he does not have a breath in his body, he is going to compete his butt off as best as he can to try to figure it out. So, whoever you're sitting around tomorrow night at the game, and if things aren't going perfectly for Kershaw, just turn around and tell that person, hey, give this guy a chance. He's going up against Christopher Sanchez tomorrow. Sanchez is seven and seven with an ERA at three point thirty six. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first pitch on Kershaw Day at seven to ten. That'll do it for us. Us on Dodger Talk tonight. Thanks for all the phone calls tonight. Freddie Freeman obviously appreciates all the love and support from Dodger fans and the Dodger family. Thanks to calling me back at our Burbang studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodger Stadium. And in case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. You can follow me on social media on Instagram at officially vassa and on Twitter x whatever you call it. At the Real Underscore dv Yes, there are a lot of impostors coming up next on Fox Sports Radio, the Midnight Man Ben Mallard, he is coming up next. Have a great rest to your night. Once again, the final score from Dodger Stadium, the Dodgers defeat the Phillies five to three. We'll talk to you tomorrow Kershaw Day. See them