Speaker 1: The Force will be with you always. Hello and welcome back to another episode of Star Wars Alliance. I'm gonna sound horrible for this episode. I do not have my microphone or my camera, but I will say hopefully all of that.
Speaker 2: Will change by next week.
Speaker 1: But I am here of course, your host Clay and with the light always is Katie, Katie, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Everybody? From my luscious apartment? I gave a bastline apartment at my mom's.
Speaker 2: I love it. I tried.
Speaker 1: My camera is so crap that, uh, the background feature can't read that I'm like in a room, so it can't even change my background. It can't change between, it can't change between, like I can't tell that. Yeah, So so uh, I was like, oh, I guess I'm just going to be just like this is with this crappy camera.
Speaker 2: Excuse me. Uh but guys, uh, we are here today.
Speaker 1: If you see of this episode, this is the High Republic Middle Grade analysis and ranking. The idea behind all of this was it started out as, hey, let's do a ranking of the High Republic. We'll do the phase all of phase one, then we'll do phase two, and we'll do phase three. So that way because at the very end of the High Republic initiative, we did kind of talk about like our favorites, how it all ended, and everything else, but we like, throughout the course of reading the phrase, we did not talk about rankings. So this time around, Katie was like, Hey, instead of doing it phase by phase, let's do it reading grade by reading grade. And the reason why we're doing this is to now see if there is a coherent story for each reading level, because not everyone is going to be like us. Not everyone is going to say, hey, I'm going to read all of.
Speaker 2: The High Republic.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be people who are like, hey, they just see a High Republic book on the shelf, pick it up and start reading right, or somebody's like, oh, you know, I started reading this through Star Wars story It starts with and then it's the Light of the Jedi, you know. So we decided to go reading level, and it was yesterday. I thought when we said reading level, I thought we were doing reading level by the phase, but you.
Speaker 3: Wanted to rank them all and so I was like, middle grade a legit ranking too.
Speaker 1: Yes, So this the way we're going to do it today is an actual legitmate for reading levels, of course, but my initial thought was, oh, we'll do it by phase.
Speaker 2: We'll do the reading levels. It'll be easy.
Speaker 1: That's three books that I have to read before recording. That's super simple. And then Katie sends me a screenshot last week and she's like.
Speaker 2: I'm falling behind.
Speaker 1: No, no, And I see a screenshot of the I'm like, wait, wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, why are you reading that?
Speaker 2: I thought we're only gonna do this and then she explains to me, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, okay, well, time this speed run because at that point I was.
Speaker 2: Only uh literally the last two chapters of which is the second book.
Speaker 1: And she's like, great, sure we can pivot, we can do something else with No.
Speaker 2: No, we're good, We're good. You know, We're totally okay.
Speaker 3: I gotta do a lot of laundry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, I got chords to dude, I'm just gonna be listening to stuff all day. It's gonna be totally funny. I got to the end of Phase two. I didn't read any of Phase three, but I did tell Katie right before we started recording that because of the fact that Phase three was so recent A La last year, I was able to retain a lot of the stuff that happened in the three books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm poor transparencies. I also did not finish, but I got through Beware the Nameless, and I remember a good chunk of a Valiant Valiant refreshed my brain with my Manner's review of a Valiant Valve.
Speaker 2: So okay, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Because he delves into more spoiler side of things. And Wikipedia did not have a plat summary.
Speaker 2: So that makes that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So we are going to be talking about these three or five, six, seven, eight books. There's eight books in all. Phase two is the only phase that did not have three books.
Speaker 2: It only had two.
Speaker 1: But one of the talking points was that Katie brought up in this discussion of like, well, oh yes, we're gonna one one piece of news and I'm so mad. Uh this is this is the PC Alliance effect, guys, because every single time they have like a trailer or news, it's always like, hey, it's gonna happen the day after they were It finally happened to us, and it's happened to us before in the past, but this one I'm a little disappointed about.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: We are getting the Ninth Jedi series trailer tomorrow, So by the time you are listening to this on your podcast of choice, I'll Catcher sorry choice, you could probably already watch it. It's gonna be debuting on Thursday, July second.
Speaker 2: I'm super excited about this.
Speaker 1: Of course, we have talked in Agnolgia about how we are so excited about the series because this is finally something that is outside of the realm of the Skywalker saga. We really enjoyed the last Ronan. Yeah, yeah, it was just Ronan, That's right. It was Ronan, which jove deeper into that story of visions and the world that it built was really really cool, really fun, very supernatural. Uh, and we really enjoyed it. Now we get to dive into another one of those, of course, being the Ninth Jedi. And I'm just I'm so excited genuinely because we have been I wouldn't say that we've been uh what's like the well is running dry, but I feel.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like we've been we've been lacking with some content reason.
Speaker 1: So so jumping into a new series is gonna be a lot, a lot of fun, and we will talk about the trailer of course next week.
Speaker 2: Wait we see it and it's all glory and.
Speaker 3: Guys, this month is going to be super funky because we are closing Matt and I, my husband and I are closing on our house next week, so we will have some pre recorded episodes for you guys in the back half of the month, and we'll probably be back the last week of July talking about the New Visions manga. But we were fortunate enough to receive advanced review copies of Star Wars Legacy from Random House Worlds, so we've got that one in our belt, and so that embargo is actually up in two weeks on July fourteenth, so we will have a pre recorded episode for you guys talking about that review. I think it's the sixteenth is when that episode would drop into podcasters, and then the following week it's actually Eyes Like Stars Releases, which is I believe it's still from Random House Worlds, but it's an imprint, so it's I think it's a Dela Corte Press, and so we did get that arc as well, so we will be able to talk to you guys about both of those legacy at the embargo date, and then we will have a review for you guys, Win Eyes like Stars releases that is going to be pre recorded. So those are the two things that you can look forward to. So the sixteenth and then the following week would be I think the twenty third, So then the thirtieth we will be back, so that would be the twenty ninth, we would be back on YouTube live that week.
Speaker 2: So yeah, really really excited.
Speaker 1: And also we did receive the audio files for Legacies, so we are going to be able to actually listen to the audio it's released as well, and we'll talk about that in our review. But yeah, guys, we're gonna be talking about the High Republic middle grade books.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: One of the topics that Katie wanted to go over was the fact that, like, hey, is there a coherent story between.
Speaker 2: Each of these books throughout Beach Face long story Shorts. I would say.
Speaker 3: No, I think you have a decent cohesive story in Phase two and Phase three, Like singular stories Phase one, I don't think you have a cohesive story. And as much as I love Ram, it's the race to Crash Point Tower, even though you have Vernestra, that is detracted because Vernestra's story in that in that wave takes place in the young adult story. And so in the the Wave three book of Phase one, which is Mission to Disaster, you've got like Imrine goes, oh, but I thought your hyper space vision or your visions only happened in hyperspace, and I had to go like, wait, when did that come up? Like, and it's because it happens in just in the Ireland's young adult book.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think that in this way of storytelling at best, the middle grade like the way you can look at it is in overall story of the High Republic, with that an anthology of stories. That's what this feels like. If you were to just read the middle grade books back to back to back, it would genuinely feel like an anthology with some characters able to be still involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And with the Phase two I feel like that one. I do agree with you. There is a singular like story.
Speaker 3: Because you've got Dash and you've got Ruper in both stories. And yes, do you have side characters come in like different side characters in each one. Yes, but that those two middle grade books are telling Ruper story with some sprinkle of Dash as the other main character in this. I think for Phase three as much as I wanted it to be, Emory's story takes place and defy the storm and a valiant vowel, and so for Phase three, the story is actually about Teptep as the main character, because she's the character that transcends all three stories, and it really develops her growth across the whole thing, from a youngling who was trying to find her place as a trans female in the Jedi Order and coming into the end of a valiant vow where she gets to be a pad one of someone who she really values their opinion and wants to be like them and has got a great mentor in that regard. So Phase three is definitely a Tep Tep story. Again, I wanted Emory because I feel like we left Emory in such a fragile state at the end, and I know that he also has some bits and pieces a little bit in the comics, but really I felt like at the end of a Mission to Disaster, I was like, dude, I'm scared for Emory. I remember feeling that in the beginning. I was scared for Vernestra too, but I knew Vernestra was too popular to really kill off at that point, and so coming into phase three, I was like, Okay, we're getting Emory and these and I get you had more authors come in for phase two who wanted to do new things in phase three, but I was like, I just wish that we had finished the story that we would have gotten with the characters that we started with. And I think that's the down side of saying, Okay, we're gonna take a break and go back in time and then come back to these stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that looking at it retrospectively, I think I would have appreciated the mystery a little bit more if we go like if you rearranged it, I would have gone a phase one, phase three, phase two. And the reason why that is is this is coming from the guy that that hates.
Speaker 2: When stories.
Speaker 1: Yes, when when stories are told in not the correct timeline, and when I say in the correct timeline, I mean more in the correct like numbering. But I think it would have been a little bit more fun because looking back at these books in phase one, I forgot how many teases there were two face too, with the path.
Speaker 2: With the blight and everything else.
Speaker 1: I thought, okay, cool, this like now I see it, like there's there's actual like cause Again, when we were reading this, we had no idea what was happening in.
Speaker 2: We didn't even have like teasons, what does that happen?
Speaker 1: I think it was in Mission to Disaster. When we start to hear of like, oh, there was like some bad things that happened a long time ago and it had to deal with you.
Speaker 2: Know, Dolma and all of this other stuff, it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again it's like, oh, we can get access to this information, but we have to request it from the.
Speaker 2: JIT order and all these other things.
Speaker 1: Like you start to see now, you know, post post mortem, it's like, oh, okay, yeah, they were a.
Speaker 3: Lot of things, but like at the same time, they plugged all those things in a Mission to Disaster and didn't really follow up on anything. Because the way you think about it, right when Michael said, Glaine was like, oh, yeah, we're gonna do middle grade, we're gonna do young adult, we're gonna do adult. We're gonna have all age comics. We're gonna have adult comics, and you're gonna be able to read one thing and follow a singular story throughout. And this is the whole point of why I wanted to switch it up and do the different reading reading things. I don't know what you call these re reading levels. That's right. I wanted to do the reading levels because I remember him saying that and going, Okay, if I read these on their own, with no other context, how would I feel about how the story carried out? If I was just like, oh, my fifth grader wants to read these and I'm gonna pick up every single one and see how it goes. Yeah, they would be really confused in the middle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't think like, even when you get to Mission to Disaster, you have names like Lorna D being thrown about like crazy, and it's just like it was Lorna D. But they keep telling you, oh, it's the Eye, the Eye, the Eye, the Eye. And then when you go to escape from Escape from Bellow, where the Nameless and a valiant Bow, at this point they're already talking about marketing, and it's like you never get to learn about d.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the the if you were reading everything in or to your only reference to a Row at that point is marta Row at the end of a Quest for Planet x SO, and I get the point of Okay, let's throw in easter eggs to see if they'll read something else, see if we can get them to buy something else. Not to this extent, though, this is hey, there's something else going on and that you don't know about, kind of thing like.
Speaker 1: Ha ha, I have not yet gotten my moving pod yet. It has my desk and it has on my books. I need to go back to the middle grade specifically and see if the inside of the sleeves have any type of next reading.
Speaker 2: Recommendations, Yeah, like at the back. Yeah, because I think that in some cases.
Speaker 1: What you're saying should happen should be like, oh, you know you finished with this, now you should read this.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We see it a lot in the Marvel comics. At the very end of the comics they have like two whole pages that are like, oh, this is what's also on sale in the Star Wars line of things.
Speaker 2: And so I'm curious. I know they wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Really do it in the young adult and the adult novels because.
Speaker 2: That's just not something you do. But unfortunately, just the.
Speaker 1: Way that younger audiences are marketed to is and we have to tell them to go buy something else, you know. So I'm interested to see if they have anything like that. Don't remember if they do or not. But Katie, looking at these eight books, you got through six of them. I got through five of them, seven, seven of them seven and I got through five. I remember the last three pretty well. I want to know, because there's eight, what are your top not top four?
Speaker 2: Your what is your bottom four? You had to choose between these?
Speaker 3: I feel like that's really rude with these big middle grade.
Speaker 1: I understand, like we are in our thirties, like this is our audiences that are that are twelve or or younger.
Speaker 2: But still thinking.
Speaker 3: That in mind, I really feel like, as much as I love to write a Cordova is writing, I feel like, be where the name And I'm not saying this is like in order as my bottom I would say this is probably just at the bottom. I would probably have to say, but where the Nameless sits there? I think originally when I read these, both of the Phase two books were down there. However, looking at it from a reread perspective, I think the only one I'm going to put down there is Quest for the Hid in the City, which is the first one.
Speaker 2: Now is that because it's a horror book?
Speaker 3: Yes? I still could not stand Gloam Gloom I strongly just liked it, but I loved a question for Planet that and I remember like thinking like, Okay, this one's pretty good and then oh gosh, I think Mission to Disaster. And that's mainly because of the House Yon plug in there. I feel like Justina Ireland wanted to write a different book and they said, yeah, but we need start like Beacon to move.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, yeah, I'm going to unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Have Planet X is going to get a stray bullet from me.
Speaker 1: That one out of the two Face two books, I like Hidden City more. I really like George Man's uh adventure through the horror genre and there I thought it was really really fun. I will also say in Phase three, out of all three books, I would say this is the weakest.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say it's bad, it's just the weakest.
Speaker 3: Of the Yeah, and I love so Nuge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was his introduction, like I really enjoyed him as a character. And then I don't know if you remember this, but as my very first time reading this book, crash Point.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I ever read Crash Point.
Speaker 2: Crash Point was.
Speaker 1: I was not on the podcast until after Crash Point.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I joined in during phase one, but it was after the first pay books, and I.
Speaker 3: Had you go back and read a Test of Courage. Because Mission to Disaster was refocusing on Burgnastra, I didn't have you go read Race to Crash Point Tower.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So my three from each phase is crash Point, uh, planet X and be where the names was. And then my fourth just because I do think it was I feel like the second time reading it was a little bit of a drag, and that is Mission to Disaster. I think that there was just too much to focus on for especially for a middle grade book.
Speaker 2: We had when we talked about the High Republic.
Speaker 1: A very popular conversation that we have between the two of us is perspectives. And I do think that a middle grading book can have more than one perspective, but it shouldn't go crazy. Mission to this asked here. I do feel like went a little crazy with the perspectives because we get Renis show, we get uh, memory, we get uh, and then we get.
Speaker 2: There was one more? Was there? One?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 2: It was just those three, and it just felt like it might have just.
Speaker 3: Been a longer Yeah, it is a longer book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, those would be my bottom four. And again guys. It's it's not us just being like, hey, let's tear these kids books apart. You know, yeah, we we enjoyed reading these, and we do want to give them a proper like like is this something like.
Speaker 2: Because eventually.
Speaker 1: Amberlin is not necessarily ready for chapter books right now, she's of coourse still three going on to four years old, but she will start to get interested in it, and of course I'm going to introduce her to stuff that we already owned and so like.
Speaker 2: Saying like, hey, you can read these, She's gonna have a lot.
Speaker 1: I feel like she's gonna have a lot of questions if she just reads the first three books and then jumps into.
Speaker 2: Phase two and like hey, what's going on here? You know? So that's I think one of.
Speaker 1: The biggest things going into this that Michael and I think, just like the entire team with this initiative may probably want to hold back on it, even like in their next big thing. We have no idea what they're gonna if they're ever gonna do something like this again, which never say never, right, I would definitely just hold back on the like, hey, you could read all of just the adult novels and get the entire story.
Speaker 2: So that's just that's my two cents.
Speaker 3: And I think I think they did. I think the conversation will be slightly different when it comes to the young adult and the adult almost because some of the stuff that is in the young adult and adult books is a little too violent for what takes place or what I would want a middle grader to be able to read, and like it borders on it a little bit, and where the nameless and a valiant vow, but it draws the line, I feel like, pretty perfectly at making sure some of those things stick out or stay out of a middle grade book to keep it age appropriate. So I do think these are great books, but they're just not meant to be approached in one singular storyline. It's Phase one is its own story, followed by Phase three, and then if you want additional material, it's phase two. And I do think the phase the phase two books track in a little bit better in the young adult and adult books because again, it gets into that more adult content that you don't want in a middle grade book, and so they just tried to add those contextual elements in the middle grade books so you still got something. But at the end of the day. It was not it didn't track successfully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very very true.
Speaker 1: Well, this may be one of the shortest episodes we've had in a very long time, Katie, I don't know if we have anything else we want to add on.
Speaker 3: I don't think so either. But guys, it obviously we didn't dive into specifics on these stories. This episode wasn't meant to dive into necessarily those specifics, more towards tracking things throughout. And again, Clay and I are in the middle of life changes, so we kind of struggled a little bit with this one. It'll be it'll be different with the young adult and adult ones because we'll have a little bit more time and not having to pack our families up and move exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, and again, guys, we do have like other thought piece episodes that are coming up in the calendar that we have had kind of just kind of juggling stuff every so often. We've had some stuff in the past that we wanted to do and then like books were announced and like release states were change, stuff like that, and so there's some really fun stuff that we do plan on having that will be a little bit more uh, thought provoking.
Speaker 2: I guess you could say.
Speaker 1: So, I'm sorry if you're a little disappointed by this short episode, but I promise.
Speaker 2: It will get a little needier and a little too here.
Speaker 3: Yep. So next week, God, we will be talking about the Doctor Afra mini series that takes place with the Star Wars run uh that we just kind of talked about, that is called Doctor Afra Chaos Agents, uh, and so that will be next week's talk. We'll talk more on the box office numbers for Mando as that kind of like cycles down the theatrical run, the Ninth Jedi trailer, and then the comic review, and then, like we said on the sixteenth, on the fifteenth of July, there will be no live episode of Star Wars Science. You will get a pre recorded episode, uh talking about about our review of Star Wars Legacy, which, again, guys, if you don't know what that book is, that is basically how Leah and Rey form their Jedi training partnership kind of trans us from the Last Jedi to where we're at and rise of Skywalker. And then we'll follow that up the following week with another prerecorded episode talking about Islac Stars the first and hopefully a uh continuing genre with Star Wars Romance from Dela Coorte Press. That book is called Islac Stars. It takes place before the Force awakens. And then at the end of the month there will be uh, we'll be talking about the Star Wars Vision's Sukomo manga book that comes out. I believe that comes out on the seventeenth of July, but we're talking about yeah, yeah, and then guys, I hope you guys enjoyed our review last week of the New Jedi Order Book two, which is the Stackpool book. Gosh, I can't think of it off the top of my head. Yeah, Onslot Dark Tide one Onslot because we released that last week since we were off and such things. So if you are not on our Patreon, that is a book club series that Claire and I are doing where we're taking one book a month for the New Jedi Order and talking about that month to months. So for August, if you guys are interested, we will be talking about Trader, which, for those of you who don't know, is Jason Solo's book in that series.
Speaker 1: So I was able to get through the prologue through my time traveling from from Indiana to Texas because again for some reason this series.
Speaker 2: Is just like, hey, we need prologues that are like thirty pages long.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, that's some of the content that you guys can expect. And then, of course, uh, hopefully we will be getting the ninth Jedi release schedule and be able to plan that into our schedule for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: So, oh, that's a good question. Do you think it's going to be a all in one draw or do you think it's gonna be week.
Speaker 3: I would hope for weekly. Knowing lucasfilm it's gonna be a one and done.
Speaker 1: I hope that with the work of a different studio.
Speaker 2: I really do hope that it's weekly.
Speaker 1: I think that'll ring a lot of conversation, especially with this not being Cannon and just being like a completely different thing. This might actually be somebody's in production discards like and so that's the case, I would really love them to push it two weekly for anticipation.
Speaker 3: That's what I would hope too, is that you get that discussion point. And I would hope that the studio. I can't remember the studio.
Speaker 2: Production, No, this was.
Speaker 3: Studio I g.
Speaker 1: Oh, I got the directors and the producers but I don't have the Oh no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't get it up in time production.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gane, But yeah, I really do hope that they like had like some sort of like uh contract said weekly clause or something that says.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, we need a weekly drop. But yeah, guys, it's gonna be really exciting.
Speaker 1: Of course, you can always find me at Fanboy Play, on Instagram and on Blue Sky and threads.
Speaker 2: My wife, the.
Speaker 1: Lovely uh uh social media marker, is actually going to be teaming up with me and we're gonna be planning out all of the content.
Speaker 4: We're not just Star Wars Alligance, but Range Aligance and the g u A. So you're gonna start seeing a lot more content on Instagram in threds, so be on the lookout with that. I'm really excited to get back on.
Speaker 1: Track with all that I have been lacking, So go follow us on all of these social media's.
Speaker 2: But yeah, anyway about you.
Speaker 3: Y'all, you can find me on most social media platforms and zad place of Katie. Like Clay said, we are on most social media platforms. It's at Star Wars lines at the eight and the war is very important don't forget it. You can also use that username and send to us and email if you're not on social media, and so it would be Star Wars Alliance no an the Wars at gmail dot com. Just give us some way to reference you by so h with that, guys, and I wish everyone a great day or night, whatever time that day you are listening or watching, and we will see y'all next time. May the Force to be with you.