Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show idiots, the kids are playing or trail off.
Speaker 3: The countries are screwing it up. Gold play intermurals, brother, gold play intermurals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 2: All right? Are we ready to get it started today? Here on a Thursday afternoon, Ready or not?
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: It is Coffee and Company. That's us. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. My name is Nick Coffee. I hope you knew that. If not, my ego is is damaged slightly.
Speaker 3: But you know.
Speaker 2: Now you know, and hopefully you remember a name I know you're very familiar with. Is the company man, mister John Alden, who's alongside as we take you up till six o'clock. And John, I'm feeling good today, brother, I bet you are.
Speaker 3: It was a good night last night for Louisville fans, it.
Speaker 2: Was, and we're certainly going to get into last night's performance from the Ville their best performance thus far, not even close, and it does give me some confidence moving forward and their ability to keep this run going. But now we have the matchup and it's it's I don't really know how to describe it. I mean, because it's I mean, the rivalry's on, and it's never really not on. But now we have a rivalry matchup that I feel like the layers to it make it to where fans can just have fun with it. Now we're going to be upset as Louisville fans if they come up short against Loaf Familia and Kentucky fans you know, they'll probably be bummed if they show up at Freedom Hall and they see Montrez Harrold Russ Smith and Peyton Siva send them packing. But because of what this is, it's almost as if like the type of misery that you would that you would go through in any other Louisville Kentucky basketball related matchup, Like it's just not gonna be that bad. Then again, maybe I'm wrong, right, like, expect the unexpected, the TBT that's David Paget's line, and he's doing a great job, by the way, on the on the call for Fox NFS one. But I'm thinking, if Louisville loss like whatever, you know, like it, I'll be bummed and I want him to win in a major way. Maybe I shouldn't have said whatever, but you know, these guys still came out and you know, made it to the Elite eight of this event in their second year, so they're you know, and I don't see any reason why they won't keep this thing going moving forward. But as I feel like, you know, it'll be kind of something easy to just move on from. I could be wrong, right, Like, it could be something, you know, depending on how it all plays out. With the elam ending adding so much drama to the end of these games, you know, maybe it'll be one ten years from now, I'm thinking, Man, if they would have freaking won that game on Monday night, July twenty ninth at Freedom Hall, I mean, gosh, what could have been? Like, I don't we don't know, we don't know, but I feel like last night was ten years ago. And let me tell you why, John, I had a dream last night that I don't even really want to get into like what it was, because it's not interesting. It's not I mean, it's it's weird. Dreams are weird. They don't make any sense. You know. I've never really done a whole lot of researcher looking into, you know, the theory or the science behind why we dream what we dream. But it was a dream to where I feel like, you know, ten years went by. Have you ever had that to where you go to bed and you feel like you woke up and it was like, damn, where have I been for the last you know? Oh, yeah, wow, that's my wife. I'm married, I got two kids.
Speaker 3: I gotta get in a while. But I've had dream like that.
Speaker 2: They're wild, aren't aren't they.
Speaker 1: It's very trippy and it sometimes it takes a few moments to kind of get yourself back to reality when you come to from those dreams.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's exactly what happened to me today. It's like I was like I was, I woke up to restart a life that I'd abandoned forever and again, like if there was something weird or interesting or creepy about said dream, then you know I would share it with you because that could potentially. You know. Look, when it comes to to making interesting content, one of the things that has always really really played for me was self deprecation, making fun of myself. It usually works pretty well, but it was just I don't know, like, today's been a day to where I'm just feeling like, man, this I was away from this life for so long in said dream, and now I'm here, and man, this is great. It's great. It's also great that I've got roughly, you know, under six hours of radio time before I'm out of here for vacation. I'm really getting excited about that. This is the trip John, where the pre you know, the pre travel anxiety doesn't hit.
Speaker 1: And that's probably it makes sense because you've already been on a couple of trips this year. Yeah, I mean this is also your your annual.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Like this is one where there's not a whole lot of you know, uncertainty here, right. I mean, I guess we could always be a victim of terrible days at an airport. I certainly hope that's not what happens with us, But there's always a chance when you fly. We know that, but you know, we know what we're gonna do. I've talked all summer about these trips I've been on where I'm like, you know what, man, it's been great just just going to these places I've never been. I'm made ever go back, but just exploring, just doing different things, seeing places I've never seen before. And now here I am like, oh, no, I know exactly what I'm doing. I know exactly, So I guess both can be great, right, Like, maybe mix it up. Have some trips to where you know you're seeing something for the first time, and then have a trip that you know is just your thing. And that's that's that's our annual vacation that we take to to destin with with the family, you know, the immediate family, the wife and the two little ones. So again, reminder, I won't be here next week, and yes, I'm going to miss out on I don't want to call it a once in a lifetime like, you know, man, this is one of the most highly anticipated things we could discuss in this sports radio platform here in Louisville. Former Cards and Cats playing you know, against each other at Freedom Hall. And if they keep moving on, you know, I guess a win for them Monday doesn't guarantee that they keep winning, but hey, it's another step towards potentially sharing a million dollars. Like it's cool as hell, but you know, it's not actually Louisville in Kentucky. It's it's former players, and it's a different event and we all know that. So I don't want to act as if like it's the best thing that's ever happened. But for late July early August, man, this is a gift as far as things we can get into and have fun with. And that's what this has been. Man. You know, I just watching these former players play, seeing how much they really are feeding off of the fans that are there. I mean, it's just been it's been awesome. And you know, the TBT has been around for a while, but it's grown, I feel, you know, substantially in the last probably just really since the pandemic. It seems as if you started to really see more and more attention around it. And the elam ending continues to be awesome. And yeah, I doubt we ever see any real change. Like I'm sure if you brought it to whoever the commissioner of the n S double A is now, who is that or the president of the n stable a Charlie something. It's got a really really it's like a movie character name. I think. Is it Charlie Baker? Did I just make that up? Or is that? Is that the nc Double A? Is that who took over from Mark?
Speaker 1: I'm not too sure, but I can't. I can't never not think of Mark Emmert when I think of the n C Double A.
Speaker 2: Boom. Charlie Baker is his name, and he's the new uh, He's the new president of the n C Double A, taking over for Mark Emmert. So you know, I doubt you know, he'll want to adopt the the elam ending for a variety of reasons, and I'm not advocating for it. And then of course the NBA they wouldn't do it. Adam Silver would probably, you know, although he did let them. Maybe he's the one who decided to do it. But they did the elam ending in the NBA All Star Game a couple of years ago, a few years ago, whenever it was, And it did make it to where like that event towards the end, like for somebody to win, like if it was a close game, you're gonna see again the All Star Game sucks in the NBA because at the end of the day, these guys aren't really competing, they're just having fun. They do not care if they win or lose, and you know that'll that is the root of why the NBA All Star Game may eventually just not exist. And if it does, believe it or not, you won't miss it. But you know, like, even if they're just messing around, like, you still got to like you can't just ride out the clock, like you got to go make a shot, make a play, and if it's close, I think, you know, there's a chance that NBA players, who again I assume if they're in the NBA, they have a competitive nature about them to where, hey, you know, even though we're messing around, like I want to try to win this, you know, all we got to do is, you know, we're we're five points away from the elam ending ending target scorer and they're too, So let's just buckle down and get some stops and try to win this thing. So it'll never happen, at least I don't think it will, meaning where basketball just adopts this is the way games end. But I'm starting to feel like if it did, we wouldn't complain after the fact. Now I say that as somebody who's followed this event this year and not lost because of the elam ending. But again, like, could there be a scenario in the elam ending where you could claim that you were wronged like that in that formula that scenario stole a victory from you, because I don't think you can.
Speaker 1: I think there's a situation, and this is similar to regular basketball where if you foul somebody on the game winning shot and they win by free throws.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And obviously if it's a foul, it's a foul, But if it's a questionable call and that ends up being the decision, then that can be a little controversial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, but still like don't foul then you know what I mean? Like, and you're right, like you would go back and think, like, well, man, in the previous world that that you know, basketball has always been played for it from the beginning of time, meaning the beginning of the sport. Yeah, maybe it could have worked out different. But because you because you can't rely on time in any way, I think that makes it to where, regardless of the outcome, you might boohoo and say, well, Hey, if there was a running clock, like like we've always played, we might have been able to hold on and survive. Well, you know, you may be right, but go earn it, go win, you know, so because you have to actually go make plays. You can't just survive. I mean, I guess technically you still use that, Hey, we survived, we were able to win like as you could be that you could be a team that had a you know, you could have had a fifteen point lead when the elam ending started. And then if you end up in a close game where you actually have to hit, you know, you hit, you hit a bucket to win it, to hit the target score, and you won the game by two, then I guess technically you did still kind of survive. But either way, you can't just hold out hope that you know, their run started a little too late. So again I'm getting ahead of myself, because again I don't think it'll ever happen. But the more games I watch that have the elam ending involved it from a competitive standpoint, it's awesome. From a fan standpoint, as far as consuming the product and wanting to be entertained by an exciting finish, it's great. Now again, you can have again Kentucky. To be honest with you, their team La familia, they've had gosh, they've had blowouts, so like their elam ending has not been like a oh, who's gonna who's gonna get to this score? Like you felt pretty comfortable if you're a Kentucky fan, that they were gonna get there long before anybody else had any chance to do it. So anyways, I'm I'm loving this.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I know these former players, you know a lot has happened in their life since they left. I hate acting like they're so old, but you know, Peyton Seva is a grown ass man, which older than a family. He's a co coach here. Now you know Peyton's a little bit younger than me, but you know he's on the older side. Although last night, looking at guys like Darius Washington and Paul Harris Junior, I mean like those guys make Peyton russ And and tres And and Chris Jones look young because those guys are not only older, they look a lot older. But you know there's no scenario in these because good what I'm getting at And I talked to one former player and I won't mention who it is because it may not be something he wanted to put out there, but they went through years of still trying to play professionally, trying to make a living, basically trying not to get a real job. And you know, I'm sure if these guys walk away from basketball, they've got money to where they could be entrepreneurs like Russ, they can you know, get a job in a great industry and do well for themselves. Like these are very successful people. And you know, I have no doubt when they don't play ball for a living anymore, they'll find a great career and have a great life. But you don't want to do that until you have to, I would assume, right, you can still, you know. So you know these guys, one in particular told me that, you know, he really struggled knowing that even if he did get a you know, healthy six figures salary to go play for four months in Bulgaria, that's a good way to make I mean, that's that you know, keep in mind when you bring that money home and ain't tax my uncle Sam because you didn't make that money here in America. Like that, that's that's that's a great situation for somebody but you're never playing in front of people who really know who you are. You don't stick around like it's rare, like Peyton Siva had a rare situation in his pro career to where he played in I think it was Germany. I think he played three straight years for the same team. And he you know, Peyton's such a lovable guy and you know, just a good dude that easily fans will easily you know, attract to. So you know, he was kind of a fan favorite there. But you know, for some of these guys, man like, they'll play, they'll play in three countries in account year, you know, just just to still you know, just just to be able to make a living and you know, put away as much money as they can while they can still use their talent and ability to play basketball to make a living. But it's you know that your best days are behind you. That's essentially what was said to me by one of these guys participating and and I'm you know, I may ask him if I can share the story because it was really it was really interesting to hear that perspective, and it explains why this means so much. You know, you end your career at Louisville, where you're playing in front of twenty thousand plus every night, and you go to a restaurant in town, everybody knows who you are, whereas you know you could be making a great living and bounce around from country to country in a twelve month period. And yes, you're blessed to be able to make a living playing the game you love. It didn't really feel like work because it's all you've ever done. But you also know you'll never experience that love again from a fan base that cares so much. Well, now here they are and they're experiencing it again. It's not twenty thousand people there, but the energy and the you know, the love that the fan base has for former players like this gives them a chance not only to come back to town and you know, be around the program and get a sense for Wow, this place is awesome. I'm so glad I went to school here and played basketball. Man, what a what a what a pleasure it was to be around here. Well, now they're actually out there playing the game, and and and and and competing for a chance to not only put money in their pocket and share a million dollars collectively, but also you know, make these fans proud. So there's a level of of of corniness to this that I feel like I've tried to kind of dance around, because again, like this isn't like whatever happens in this event will not will not really matter for the program that is Louisville basketball. I mean, it'll be it'll be a good look, I suppose, but it you know, it's not going to have any impact on the future of the program because again, these are former players playing in an event that has really nothing to do with the university itself. But I can't lie and act like it didn't freaking awesome. And I think what's really made it hit me a little bit more in the fields, John is because my son Moose, he's I mean, he's he's gonna be a Louisville Cardinal lunatic and I couldn't be more proud.
Speaker 1: And he's getting to really cut his chops with it. With the guys you grew up, not I grew up. Yeah, the guys you saw be successful at the highest level.
Speaker 2: You're gonna make me get emotional because you're absolutely right. These are guys, most of them. And I don't say this to act like I'm special because I'm not. But I know a lot of these guys personally, just because at the time I really got into covering this team with decent access and of course, man, the interest level was insane because of the great run that Louisville basketball had from in that era. You know, basically, you know, I was around, and you know I was alive clearly, but I didn't have I mean I was I was twenty twenty one years old whenever, like that great run had with t Will and Earl Clark, you know, but those guys were my age, like I was just a college kid essentially. Well then you know, once I got into covering the team, that was right around twenty eleven and from twenty eleven to twenty sixteen seventeen. To be honest with you, really, the Batino era in that time was awesome, man, A lot of a lot of great times. So you're right, John, like these are not just like I'm not introducing him to Kahani Russ or you know, Rain Smith and I Will. You know, when I say introduced, I don't mean like I'm gonna, you know, show up at you know, the team dorm and introduce them. But like you know, when we watch, I'll tell him who it is and he'll get familiar. But he's he's getting familiar for the first time with the team. And it's guys that I can tell you everything about. It's guys that whenever the game ends, I can walk out there and say, hey, Peyton, you got to get a picture with with Moose. He's fired up Tres. You know, I don't even know how, but he's your biggest fan. Like those are things that like it makes it a little more special to me. And I don't nobody cares, you know, to make it all about me, because I don't know nobody cares. But I know a lot of people listening are either young enough to where you don't have kids yet, but you had those moments with your dad or mom or your you know, your your your uncle or your grandpa to where you you know, you became a passionate fan that invested emotion because of them, And or you could be someone like me who knows, hey, this is what I did. And now my kid, you know, he's he's grown, he's a grown man. But man, you know, it's it's part of his religion essentially too. So I'm kind of going through that, and honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I mean, I'm sure my son will will love the the current team and the form and the future teams and all that, and he'll be into it. But there is something about it. And I'm glad you said that, John, because I hadn't really considered as to why it's it's been such a thing for me. It's because, like you know, I saw these guys from start to finish in their career. I mean, there's a lot of guys you see on the floor at times that you were a part of a national championship team, and that's pretty special. So it's been awesome, it has, and uh, we'll see what happens on Monday night. I know it's gonna be Uh, it's gonna be packed nine o'clock tip and uh.
Speaker 1: I saw the tickets sold out initially in like four minutes, correct, and then they opened something I don't see.
Speaker 2: I don't know a whole lot about how that played out because because they weren't available, I guess that doesn't mean that they were sold out. I think they just make a certain amount available based off demand. You have to keep in mind these events that take place elsewhere, Like I bet there may not have been a thousand people at the at the Pittsburgh Regional. Actually no, a guy from Louisville who played in the Pittsburgh Regional for a different team, and you know they lost in their first game. But you know, he he was telling me that he's played in this like three years now and each time it's never been in because Louisville didn't host until last year. But like, you usually don't get many people at all there, Like it's because again, if you're not in a there are alumni teams that go and play els. Like for example, Auburn's alumni team wore ready you know, they played in in Lexington. I mean, they're not going to bring a big crowd of Auburn fans to come, you know. So so you know, this is a true rare situation. And you know, I think even even the people who put this event on are probably learning about this as they go. Not not meaning event planning ticket sales, I mean like, oh, yeah, this kind of matchup, you better you better make every seat in that place available to purchase because it'll probably you know, it'll probably gets sold. But yeah, I think you can still get tickets if you know, if you want. But yeah, I uh, I love it. Man, it's been and it's like an unexpected nostalgic joy. I guess that's that's probably the best way to describe it. But that was just off the cuff there, because because of what this whole thing is. It's not like I'm thinking, oh, man, it's going to be such a special thing, like I'll tell my grandkids one day about watching what a form a group of former Louisville players did in their thirties. But once you experience it, man, it's just it's it's great. It really is. All right. I hope the rest of the show is great. We're gonna try to make it great. We're gonna give it our best. That's all we can do. That's all you can ask of us. Right, we have a guest potentially joining us. I've yet to hear back from our man, mister Brian Edwards, a Vegas insider. I want to chop it up with him, talk a little college football betting. Of course, that's what Brian's great at. But he's down there in Santa Rosa Beach. He may just be I don't know. He may have put his phone on silent and just he's sipping a margarita on the beach and just not you know, not wanting to come on the show. But he'll be either today or tomorrow when we have Brian on. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow. We'll see, right, we'll play it out, we'll let we'll see what happens. But I do know again, we're gonna try to do our best to have a fun show today. So stick around. We'll let you guys be a part of it. It's coffee and company. Feel abou Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety man, this is this is a deep it's a deep song here.
Speaker 3: Sorry for the song, but.
Speaker 2: You know it's it's absolutely fitting given you know what we're talking about. So I think just because he's got so much energy on the court, and you know, he's an exciting player to watch. But like my son Moose, he loves he loves Tres, like, where's Tres? Where's Tres? You know, we did, he did. We didn't get to go last night because he had football practice, but when we were there, you know, he was you know, he was just wanted to know why Trez wasn't in the games, he get a dunk at that kind of stuff. So he's a huge fan. And then last night we were watching and Trez got actually he didn't get to watch it when it happened because he was still in practice, but the early play from Peyton where he somehow made a ridiculous pass that was just I mean, I mean that was like vintage Peyton Siva with the vision and the ability to hang in the air and find trees right there underneath the goal for the dunk. So I showed him the clip, the replay, the slow mo and the first thing Moose said was you think Trez will stay stay to night tonight? He asked if he could stay the night at our house, and I just thought that was really funny. So I ended up tweeting that out that my son just asked if my four year old son just asked if Trez can stay the night in our house tonight. And you know, I personal, I don't think it's I don't think it's crazy request. He's you know, he's in town. So this morning he asked again, like can he do it tonight? So a video I took a video of him before we went into daycare today. And he said, you know, Trez, you can.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 2: Actually this is gonna sound terrible, but this is what it sounds.
Speaker 3: This This was the video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just say at my ass dinner, he said, Tres, you can stay at my house tonight. So I posted that to Trees and said the invite still stands. And Moost wanted me to say, does he know we have fruit snacks?
Speaker 3: Which we do.
Speaker 2: That's a we keep a lot of fruit snacks in the house. And Trez responded about an hour ago on Twitter and said, I'm honestly honored a little man. So I don't think that means we're going to have the sleepover, but uh, you know, it is cool. Like, you know, I would have never imagined a scenario where my kid would even like know who Montress Harrell is, But because of this event, he's been able to watch him and it's been you know, him kind of really cutting his teeth as a fan, which is uh, which is really cool. All right, It's Coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven nine. You appreciate you guys hanging out with us. Don't forget you need to sign up to become a member of the Thornton's Freshman Awards program. If you haven't already, I mean, if you haven't, you know, I'm not gonna lie to you. I'm pretty transparent here on this show. If you're not a member, I you know, I pray for you. You know, I don't want to say I judge you. I don't want to say that. You know you need to live a better life. But you know I'll pray for you because there's that's no way to live not being a member of the Refreshment Awards program. You're gonna save money at the gas pump. You can take advantage of the Frequency Club. And folks, let me tell you what the Frequency Club is. If you don't know. There's certain items that if you buy them frequently, you end up getting one for free. Hence the name Frequency Club. They do that extra e in there, so you know, there's all kinds. There's different items that end up in the Frequency Club, so you never know, like maybe you are a regular and you get this item and it's never been a part of the club before, but then boom, you know, you enter your phone number, you swipe your rewards card and you see, oh it's free, and what's crazy. Is like I I I mentioned you swipe it and you like scan it because I mean, there are still gas stations and convenience stores out there that don't have the self checkout. I mean, come on, what are we pilgrims? What are we doing? I mean, what kind of I mean there's no way to go about business. I mean I can walk into Thornton's and get five items, know where they are, so I know right where to go, and I can get in and out of there in ninety seconds. You know, if it's one item, maybe I'll pull a Rick Betino. I'm in there in fifteen seconds and I'm out. You never know, right, I mean just depends on you know, if there's other people in there, it could happen. So Thornton's is the best. We certainly appreciate them.
Speaker 3: I saw you had to remind a family member that you're a Thornton's family the other day.
Speaker 2: You saw that I did. Yeah, I don't. I don't like bringing family drama to the show. But you guys know, I'm an open book. I'm very transparent when you if you're if you're in my life, you're always potentially gonna be a part of the content and my father, who I love, love him dearly. He really let me down. He makes a trip down to uh Jekyl Island, Georgia, little vacation trip, and he stopped in at a at a different place, not at Thorntons, and you'd have thought he was a kid at Disneyland for the first time, just just geeked up about this ball mass place that I don't even I mean, boosy, is that what they call it? Little boost boot Boosy's Yeah, I mean like it's just I mean, it's it was shameful, to be honest with you, it's and I didn't know how it felt to be betrayed by family until that and now I know, So you know, now I know. All right, So we'll get back into uh this matchup between lit Familia and the Ville uh, because I only got a couple of days to discuss because I won't be here Monday or next week, and you know, I'm looking forward to my trip. But man, the energy is already pretty pretty strong around here, just knowing what we have in store. But I bet by the time we get to Monday, it's gonna be it's gonna be crazy. So let's talk some football real quick here. I'm not gonna dress this up as if I've got some like inside scoop or some type of formulated take that I haven't shared with you before. But I talked to one of my buddies who who I met literally by going to these ACC media events. Rather it be the ACC kickoff or ACC Operation basketball, why can't they just call it media days? Like what are we doing? It's so corny. But one of my buddies who covers Wake Forest, of all places, actually from Kentucky, but he covers Wake Forest, he hit me up yesterday. He's like, hey, man, I talked to Jeff Brohm, did a little Q and A, and then I talked to like four other people who also had a you know, Q and A with Jeff rather it be on the hit their radio show or just you know, kind of a little video interview where he's sitting at a table answering questions from those that are covering the event, and he told me something that like, initially I thought, okay, like, well, thanks thanks for the update. Bro really appreciate you, you know, giving me some intel, because what he told me is literally, and I mean quite literally, what you hear every coach say at media day, no matter the conference, no matter the coach, really like my team. And he felt like he was giving me some kind of like dude, I talked to Jeff Brawman. I know a lot of other people did too. He really likes his team, and I'm like, man, like, thanks for you, you got anything else? Like I mean, I could every coach in the country is gonna say they like their team, even if they don't. They might hate their team. They might literally know they're about to get their ass fired this year because their team sucks, but they're gonna say we're looking forward to this season getting out there and playing hard, and you know, I like my team in some form or fashion. But where he did what he did share with me, and this is probably something that Jeff said in many of the interviews that he did. But Jeff Brown apparently feels really good about the interior on both sides that they have, They have depth, they have guys healthy, and that matters, right. Like offensive line, it's not really a big you know, it's a thankless position. Unfortunately, they're super important when it comes to football. But I feel like the offensive line kind of like a kicker or maybe even a punter, like they don't when they're if they're getting talked about a whole lot, it's not because they were phenomenal. It's because they they messed up, you know what I mean, like because the quarterback got sacked or you know, a bunch of false starts. When it comes to the offensive line, like a kicker, you know, he might make ten in a row in multiple games from thirty yards and shorter. Second he misses one of those, people are gonna say he's a bumb he sucks. Like there are some positions within football that you know, you don't get a whole lot of love when you do your job really well, but you really get a lot of heat whenever things go wrong. So I think when it comes to the offensive line, they did lose some guys, but even the guys that they played last year like extensively that were you know, that were good, were hurt and played hurt. And I think, you know, I go back to the Bobby Pittrino days and this is when this was you know, this was around the time you know that Brian played here, Brian brom that era, so you know Jeff was here too on the staff. You know because that team, man, they had so many NFL players on it, not just brom not just Brian's era, but like two thousand and four, when Brian was a freshman and la Forest was the quarterback, like that was a Conference USA team. You know how many NFL guys were on that team? A lot of them. And I remember, and this is a relatively obvious observation, but at the time, I was a lot younger. You know, I got two thousand and four, I was fifteen years old, fourteen years old or something like that. But you know, that was one of the best teams. In fact, I think you could make the case that from a talent perspective, that may be the best Louisville team ever. But anyways, Bobby made the point that if you've got everybody healthy and you know you're playing well, and you've got a good team like they had, you can go play against the elite of the elite and give yourself a chance to win. But where you really, really, I guess, have a wake up call as to where you are in the food chain of college football, is that they can go too deep and not miss much right, not drop off, even if they've got an all American player that did that. It's on the edge, and he goes down with an injury, they're gonna bring in somebody that may not be an All American player, but he's gonna be good enough to where you're gonna know he was a five star recruit. And that's why I went to that school. So Louisville, of course is a power for program, but you know, they don't recruit like the elite of the elite. And I'm not acting as if Louisvill's got five are sitting on the bench waiting to play. But with the portal, they they now feel like they can they can really roll in guys in the interior on both sides and not have a huge drop off. Right, They're not going to bring in somebody from the sideline to give to give Ashton Jalatti a break. That's going to give you Ashton Jalatti production because he's a first team All American preseason. So but you know that that actually is one of the little things that you know, I felt underwhelmed initially, but once he started kind of explaining to me what, you know what what what really stood out as far as why Jeff Brown feels good about his team. And one of the things he also said is that you know, brom had a quiet confidence about him, which I told him. Look, look, i mean, Jeff's pretty robotic at these things, right, He's going to give you legitimate answers where he's going to talk football and mention personnel. And it's not as if you mean Bobby's Bobby's the robot, So Jeff's not that. But I do get the sense that they really like their team. And I'll say this, they had they had some issues during the spring with guys that came in and and and were potentially going to be a huge cancer to the locker room. And a lot of those guys left, right, the guys who transferred in for money and then bailed. And I'm not just talking about Penny Boon. There were some other guys too. And I think you know Brohm, who, by the way, has absolutely managed the portal as good as anybody, right, like Louisville has not lost in his it's just two years, right, just to two off seasons, roughly, they've not lost anybody where you're like, man, we're gonna be We're gonna be doomed without this guy. And there have been some guys though that they've lost where you feel like, you know, I woulted that guy to stick around. We've seen him make plays, But then you go see them get somebody that you have to honestly look at the two and say, you know that they brought somebody in that's better. But I think there's a little bit of fire under Jeff as far as how that played out because some of the guys they lost, the kids, the kid from Tennessee, which I'm not even sure where he ended up. Did he go to Ole miss the Tyler's that Tyler Baron, It's not relevant, but you know, he was a guy that really did help Louisvill's trends for portal ranking. So did Penny Boon. And those guys were those guys were bad news. They were running around talking about how much money they were making to go there. They were lying about it, which all that's going to do is get everybody in the locker room worked up about hey, why are we you know, like you know, this guy's making this much money, like they were just here to get money and seemingly start trouble like that's what And I hope that wasn't the initial goal for them. But once they got here, that's what they did. And I think you know there was noise out there, Wow, another transfer portal de commits. And I don't mean like fans were saying that, but look, you guys, remember the noise that was out there during the off season when the portal was active and crazy. Louisville's checks must be bouncing. Hmm, what's going on with Louisville. Well, I got a little intel that that's something Bram was aware of, and you know he's motivated and eager to show people there's nothing wrong with what's going on at Louisville. I think they've got a good team this year. Again, they're still going to have a tougher schedule than last year. I'm not trying to say that that means they're going to go ten and two once again. But to give you the to give you the old cliche that you hear from every single football coach, Jeff likes his team. So I can't wait. Man, football season will be here before you know it. It's gonna be great. I mean when I get back from vacation, I mean fall camp. That point, I'm assuming it's going to be close to underway if it's hadn't already still, I mean, actually it'll probably start here soon, it'll probably start. Why I'm on vacation now that I think about it, and that's not you know, there's not a whole lot to take from that. You hope that through throughout fall camp you get some notable updates here and there, but like nobody gets hurt, you know, you here and really they scrimmage I think once a week during fall camp, and to be a fly on the wall because they really, I mean, they try to replicate a real game as best they can. And that's where you know stuff to know anything when you're playing against yourself. But man, I'm ready for football season to start. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap this thing up, meaning the three o'clock hour. We're not wrapping up the show. We still got a lot of time left and a lot to get into. We'll take you up to six o'clock and you can take us with you wherever you go. Don't forget. You can listen live on the hour radio app listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com hang out. That's right. Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us. So been a while since we talked about AI, John, and I have I've learned a lot about AI, not like you know, on the back end, I really don't know how it works because it almost seems like a magic trick, to be honest with you, But I have found a lot of useful tools when it comes to AI that have blown my mind. So I used to be scared of AI, and we probably still should be, but I have at least benefited from like how easy things can can get done by utilizing an AI tool. And I bring this up because the New York Post just just posted a story that says open aists search GPT prototype as a direct challenge to the Google search engine. So Google is still the undefeated search engine, right like we talked about being still like the the default for like UHDG. Yeah. And by the way, Edge, I mean, I still can't believe John defended in an Explorer the other day, but Edge they bounced back with Edge. Like edges a good browser. I'm still I'm still team Chrome. But Edge is a really good browser and it can do a lot of things. In fact, there's some things Edge can do that Google Chrome can't. But Google, as far as search engine, I think it's been the default for a long time. And I don't feel like they've had a whole lot of real, you know, direct competitiveness, like you know, yeah was yeah, yeah, competitor. I don't know anybody who uses I mean, first Google put ask jeeves in a body bag, then they toe tagged Yahoo. I mean like they they killed all their competition. And now AI, I think is is I mean, from what I've seen already with AI that like I mean essentially the ask the chat GPT, I mean like that, I mean I use that and not Google a lot. Now Google will give you a bunch of articles to reference. It's a deep web search, which is super valuable. Like I still Google a lot of things, but when it comes down to like, you know, simple questions rather than an Internet search, I mean, chat GPT is really really valuable. And I mean there are things that you could put together that makes it look as if you like cause I think it's still relative. AI is still very new and there's a lot of people that know of it, but they don't utilize it. Therefore they don't really know that. Like somebody could give you something that looks as if they spent two weeks putting together a presentation like a proposal or something like that, and it took them five minutes by just using an AI tool. Like that's crazy, it's crazy. I mean I've now utilized AI tools as far as prepping for this show, and it's like made life insanely easier. So I benefit from it now to where I'm not necessarily scared. But when it comes down to like you know certain, and this is going to sound really like obnoxious or you know, self centered, like what we do, Like I don't want to say it's art, because it's not, but like it's you know, like who we are as people have a big, a big factor. Maybe not and I don't mean like from a moral standpoint, but like personality, you know, like we try to entertain and and really put our Like again, you know, many people out there have a platform now to talk sports and talk about anything and share an opinion. And that's great that everybody has the ability to do that. So it's even more important for you to put your own flavor on it, you to put your own stamp on it. That makes you different, and it's never been more important where you have to do that because it's so watered down now. So like, if there's ever a day where AI has its you know, we have sports radio or sports podcast, sports content whether it be audio or visual, and it's all AI based. Like I can't really see a world where that happened, but maybe I shouldn't underestimate it.
Speaker 1: That's that's when it becomes over reliance on AI. If it can help you do your daily tasks or with something like a project like you were mentioning, I think that's totally harmless. But whenever you eliminate the true human interaction, yeah, that's when it becomes a lot more dangerous.
Speaker 2: Well, and if somebody has and if somebody has a craft that you know like they it would suck. If you let me give you an example. I know a buddy of mine who he's always had like two different jobs. He's got his career and he's got his job that he wants to be his career, but he's never really been comfortable enough to where he could bail on his career. He is an audio engineer, he mixes music. He is somebody that will take a recording session from a music artist or a band, and he will make it sound ready for radio. He's really good at what he does. He went to school for it, and he you know, worked his ass off to be good enough to get work and be respected in that industry. There are now AI tools that can do that. And he's even told me, I gotta be honest, man, my ear, I have an ear for this. It's what I do. It doesn't sound much different than some of the best engineers you'll ever find, and like that is potentially going to eliminate what he worked his life for, like and that's sad, but also it's business to where if they can get away without paying somebody a ton of money. Like again, there's levels to it to where like hey, I'm running your board in here, let me make sure your levels are up for your MIC's and the drums or this and that. It's like a I like, you know, maybe they get to the point where it can be that, but the human interaction thing is like I don't I just can't imagine there's a point where people get totally comfortable with that, like you're always going to I think what I would hope is that you still like those people can use AI tools to continue to maybe more efficiently do what they do, if that makes sense, Like the fact the thought of them not having those jobs is I guess it's a realistic thing. But like it's just like I hope it didn't come to that. Like let me give you an example, Siri, who you talk to on your phone Alexa on your devices, Like there's no like there's no connection there, Like you don't really Like I don't really trust Siri. I don't really trust Alexa, like because they you know, Like and by the way, like because I know they're not real humans, I speak to them in a way that I hope my mother never hears. Like if I gotta say if I gotta say it three times to Alexa, she's gonna she's gonna know what I think about her.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: And that's the other problem with this though, is that eventually, when they become self aware, that's when they turn on us because we abuse them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's a movie about that.
Speaker 3: Is that's a terminator?
Speaker 2: Right? No? That? And uh, there's a Will Smith movie Is that I Robot? Maybe? Yeah, I if you saw that or not? But like that was that was the first and at that point where like when that movie came out, is that what it's called I Robot?
Speaker 3: I know he's in a movie called I Robot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Either way, like at that point that movie came in in two thousand and four, that movie's twenty years old, there was no thought that that would ever be in any way realistic. But you know, here we are, like I don't know if you know, I don't remember that movie in great detail, but like you know, if we start creating technology that you know, can do everything we can and there's no emotion involved, they can just be like maybe they just realize, hey, we're gonna take over civilization if it Yeah, I mean getting a little ahead of myself here, but I would challenge somebody this weekend or whenever. Maybe. Now, think it's something that you do throughout your day to day job, whether it be documentation, writing, creative, whatever it may be. I bet if you looked hard enough on the internet, you probably don't have to look that hard. Actually you'd find something that you could utilize that like would change everything about your workday. Now, they also have technology through AI where you can check in reference to see if something that is presented was created by AI, which you know you gotta be careful about that. But anyways, we got two more hours left, so stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety