Speaker 1: Welcome back to part two of our series about the disappearance of Tommy Gibson. Let's jump right back into the case. So, two weeks after Tommy went missing, investigators were approached by Janette Klein, who happened to be the mother in law of Jennifer Kleine, the neighbor whose cat was shot. So Jeanette claimed that on the morning of Tommy's disappearance, she was driving down the end of her driveway and saw an older modeled gold or tan colored pickup truck pass by on the road, and after Janetta turned right, she tailed the truck for a short distance and noticed that the silhouettes of two figures inside the cab. And she also said that the most distinctive feature is that the truck had its license plate in the back window rather than on the rear bumper, which is why she remembered this event so distinctly. And then she noticed that the truck soon turned right and headed down the lengthy driveway which led to the Gibson residence, which was located far away from the main road in a very remote spot. And while Jeanette didn't think much of it at the time, once she learned about Tommy's disappearance. She came forward and shared this siding of the truck and put the idea in investigator's heads that maybe this was a stranger abduction and maybe the people driving this truck had something to do with it. But it does not sound like law enforce and put much credence into her story, as during her initial interview with FBI, she never even mentioned the truck and it only just seemed to pop up into her head a couple weeks later, So they're wondering she's not really lying, but maybe she drove behind this truck on a prior occasion before Tommy went missing and is just misremembering the date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds likely to me. But I also find it strange that you're going to pursue this truck because you think that his presence is very atypical and there's something off putting about it. And you notice the placement of the license plate while you're following this truck, but you don't manage to take note of any of the digits on the license plate. It seems like if you were that worried that you're going to pursue this vehicle, you're going to notice that the license plate is in the actual truck, like on the window, rather than where a license plate typically is. But you're not going to take note of even the first few digits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is weird. So it just sounds like this was a rather mundane event which had no significance, and because Tommy just happened to go missing, she's suddenly thinking, ooh, this could be a potential clue, even though it may not have actually happened on the date Tommy went missing. But I do find it kind of amusing that this story was provided by the mother in law of Jennifer Klein, the woman whose cat was shot by Larry. So it's kind of ironic that she's providing a story that almost kind of supports Larry's innocence and presents an alternate scenario where he was not responsible for Tommy's disappearance. Three months after Tommy went missing, Larry contacted the authorities and said that his four year old daughter, Karen, had informed him that she actually witnessed Tommy get abducted from the front yard by an unidentified couple. According to Larry, Carrie just completely out of the blue told him this story about how she had been looking for a shoe inside her bedroom Clauset that morning when she looked out the window and saw what she described as an ugly yellow pickup truck pulling into the driveway. And she also shared the same detail about the license plate being attached to the back window rather than the rear bumper, so on the surface, it seemed to match the story that Janette Climb provided. And then Karen supposedly said that she saw a dark haired white man with a beard and scruffy clothes and a white woman with long blonde hair in a braid or a ponytail exiting the truck and they proceeded to take Tommy from the front yard and then put him in the truck before they drove away. Apparently was so frightened by this that she blocked it from her memory for the next few months, and that's why it took so long to come forward. But it does not sound like investigators put much credence into Karen's story because she convenely did not share this detail about the truck until Jeanette Klein already came forward providing a description of a truck that was pretty similar. So they started to think that when Larry learned about Jeanette's story that he decided to coach Karen and asked her to tell the authorities this story about a similar looking pickup truck with these mysterious couple abducting Tommy in order to take suspicious off himself.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying that children don't disclose these things later, but I think a four year old's memory unless you're having a psychologist question this child in a very gentle manner right after the events have transpired, and doing so gradually, trying to get to the truth of what that child did or did not see. And in this case, it feels exactly like you said, Larry is seeing what Jeanette has said about this pickup truck and thinking, oh, well, if I coach Karen and I tell her that you know, this is what you saw, you very easily can manipulate a child and to make them believe that that is indeed what happened. So it wouldn't be a difficult thing to do. But the fact that it took this long for these details to emerge, it is very fishy. And it seems in alignment with Larry coaching her and this poor little girl. I can't imagine how difficult it would be having your little brother just disappear and then be manipulated potentially by your father into saying that you saw it happen. So she likely believed that she saw it happen. Even if that did not happen, she is going to then believe that this is what she saw because her father is painting that picture. So not only is he likely responsible for the death of his son, but he's then going to take response for traumatizing his daughter and making her believe that she witnessed the events.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Like children are so impressionable at that age, at age four, So she probably legitimately believed this was what happened at first, just because her father's telling her that, because at that age, you're going to believe everything that your parents tell you. And she had also been interviewed like three times during the original stages of the investigation, but then just suddenly came out with this story three months after the fact, completely out of the blues. So that's why law enforcement didn't believe it. And if you look at the geography of the area, like the Gibson residents is literally out in the middle of nowhere and from what I can tell, their driveway was so long that if you were driving on the road where Jeanette saw this pickup truck, you wouldn't be able to see a child playing out in the front yard of the Gibson residents because there are a lot of trees and it's so far away. So it's not like this couple is just cruising around this remote area and saying, oh, there's a child playing unsupervised out on the front yard, let's just go and kidnap them. So you would actually have to turn up the driveway and see that Tommy was there. And it's like, even if like this couple had set their eyes on Tommy in a previous occasion and wanted to kidnap him directly, it's like, how could they have known that he would just happen to be playing outside alone on the front yard at that particular time of day, because they're not going to notice them until they take that drive up the driveway, and of course that only runs the risk of them being seen by Tommy's parents. So that has always been the biggest hole in the idea that Tommy was the victim of a stranger abduction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like in order to have the scenario be present where Tommy is unattended and playing in the front yard, where you've got this clear line of sight and you're able to abduct him, it would take staking out the property and it would take probably a bunch of practice runs because you would show up, there would be a parent there, and you wouldn't be able to proceed with the abductions, so your vehicle would be seen multiple times, Like this is the middle of nowhere. These things don't go unnoticed. So the probability, like you said, of them, these potential strangers, being able to pull up and get Tommy at this perfect moment when there's nobody around, it just seems so unlikely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And I could believe this if this was a suburban neighborhood, that just a complete a child could be abductive from it by a complete stranger while playing in the front yard, but not in rural Oregon, like right out in the middle on this remote country road. So in October of nineteen ninety one, seven months after Tommy originally went missing, the case was featured on Unsolved Mysteries, and in Larry's defense, he was apparently the one who approached the show and asked him to feature his son's disappearance and agreed to be interviewed, which is a very raising thing to do when you're guilty. But this is not the first documented case where someone who was suspected in a murder decided to approach unsolved mysteries and ask them to feature the story. And it could just be pure narcissism where they figure, well, if I get on TV give my side of the story, Everyone's going to believe me, and I'm going to be this very sympathetic figure who has lost his son. But unfortunately it backfired on Larry because, like I said, he gave this very unemotional, monotone interviews, so that everyone who watched it just had a very unfavorable impression of him. Like who goes on national TV and says, I'm going to admit that I pulled out a gun and shot a straight cat in my yard and think that a nationally televised audience is going to like me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that speaks to somebody who really doesn't understand how he's perceived by the rest of the world, which would lend credence to the idea that maybe he was putting up red flags for law enforcement while he was a sheriff's deputy, which is why they then went ahead with charging him and were able to basically accept that a member of the sheriff's department could be capable of doing this. Is if he was already maybe rubbing people the wrong way. Somebody that can just so openly speak about murdering cats just tells me that this is a person who probably in the workplace would manage to irk multiple people.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking. That he'd already done something prior to Tommy's disappearance to rub his fellow coworkers the wrong way, which is why they believed he might have been capable of something like this. And of course, during his interview, he's not necessarily sending out a public plea for information saying please come forward if you have information about my son, I want to find him. He's spending a lot of time complaining that law enforcement is looking at him as a suspect, so parts of his interview are all about me, me, me, rather than about my missing son. And they did interview Judy on the segment, and she did defend Larry. She still at that point said that she did not believe he had anything to do with Tommy's disappearance and believed that he had been abducted by a stranger. And the segment had this really intriguing piece of evidence where Robert Stack appeared on camera holding a letter saying that it had been sent to law enforcement and was signed by an anonymous person referring to themselves as Spot in the Road. And they wouldn't release the contents of this letter, but they said it might have been important information about Tommy's disappearance. So Robert Stack was urging this letter writer to come forward. And I know, for so many years, like unsolved mysteries, fans were intrigued of who was spot in the road? What information did they have? And when I heard that spot on the road, I kept thinking, is someone implying that Tommy's body maybe buried at a spot in the road somewhere, like at a construction site or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really interesting, And I mean it could mean multiple things, especially when you're out in the middle of nowhere. Technically anywhere off the road could be a spot in the road. So is it a clue or is it just like this vast generalization.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I will reveal what it was later on. But I remember when I watched this on television back in the day, I was just very intrigued by this and wondered who this mysterious author was. So it was in January of nineteen ninety two, only a few months after the Unsolved Mysteries segment aired, where Larry decided to formally resign from the Douglas County Sheriff's office and said that he wanted to move out of Oregon because the stress of the whole situation was making it too difficult for he and his family to live there, so they decided to return to their native Montana, and believe it or not, they actually went on to have more kids because they had two more daughters named Lisa and Christina, and Tommy's case would get some more national attention in nineteen ninety three when his photo was featured in the Soul Asylum video Runaway Train, and by the time nineteen ninety four rolled around, the marriage between Larry and Judith finally fell apart. She decided to move away from Montana with her three daughters, and interestingly enough, she went to the town of Persian, Iowa, and moved in with Larry's half sister, Debbie, which is very unusual that someone would break up in a marriage and then move in with their ex husband's relative one of their siblings. While this happened, Larry remained in Montana and moved in with his grandmother and started working as an insurance salesman. But Judith would say that pretty much the big breaking point is that they were constantly having arguments about Tommy's disappearance, and they finally had a confrontation where Larry started blaming Judy for Tommy's disappearance and accused her of not watching him closely enough while he was out jogging, and that's what made her finally decide I'm getting away with him, and I'm leaving with my three daughters and I'm going to move in with his half sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems like they've formed some kind of support group for people that have been wronged by Larry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much. So that's what makes me think of the dynamic between Larry and his family, because it seems obvious his half sister didn't like him too much, and of course Larry tried to throw his half brother Michael under the bus during the original investigation so finally, in April fourteenth, nineteen ninety four, Larry was indicted by an Oregon grand jury on the charges of intentional murder and murder by abuse, and even though Tommy had still not been found. The rain reason that Larry was arrested because his daughter Karen had changed her original story about seeing Tommy get abducted by an unidentified couple with a pickup truck. According to Judy, only eleven days after she and her children relocated to Iowa and moved in with Larry's half sister, Debbie, Karen suddenly shared a new story about how on the morning of Tommy's disappearance, she looked out her bedroom window and saw Larry get angry at Tommy and physically abuse him. She said that Larry pushed Tommy hit him across the cheek while holding his hands behind his back, and then he proceeded to hit the boy three more times before he went limp and fell to the ground. And then Larry put Tommy's body into the back of his patrol car and drove away, and when he returned to the car port sometime later, Tommy was no longer in the vehicle, and then Larry broke a branch off a tree in order to sweep away the tire marks and the dirt, and Karen said that she was left so frightened by witnessing this that she hid inside the bedroom closet and stayed silent about what she had seen until a couple months later when her father told her to share this story about the couple in the pickup truck. But once Karen shared this story with both her mother and Larry's half sister, Debbie, they contacted the Oregon State Police and they finally decided this is the one key piece of evidence we finally need to file charges. So Larry was indicted and then extradited from Montana back to Oregon.
Speaker 2: What an absolute nightmare, poor little Karen having to witness this and being so scared that she's got to go and hide in a closet, and then to have her father manipulate her into lying and saying a whole other story about Tommy being abducted, knowing full well what she saw and if who knows which parts she was conflating in her own mind because she's so young. It's horrific to think that Larry would put her in this position. But I guess it's no surprise. If you're willing to do that to your son, then you're willing to do almost anything in order to cover it up, it seems, including traumatizing your own daughter and then exposing her to all of these big scary people in law enforcement.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember how shocked I was by this update when it originally happened, because back when I first saw Larry on Unsolved Mysteries, I still disliked him, but I thought, well, if he did cover up his son's disappearance, at least it was a legitimate accident by a stray bullet and he didn't mean to harm anyone. But here we have a story that paints him in an even worse light, where he like physically abused a two year old and beat him up, and then disposed of his body and covered up the whole thing, and then manipulated his terrified daughter into coming up with a fake cover story until she finally got brave enough to finally share the truth. And I don't think that's a coincidence that like Karen suddenly came out with this story after her mother finally got her away from her father and she was in a safe space like thousands of miles away from him and could finally come forward. So that's why, even though she was only four years old at the time she allegedly witnessed this, that law enforcement was able to believe her.
Speaker 2: I think it's a miracle that Karen was able to remember those details, because our memories are so fallible, and when we're young, traumatic memories and they may become repressed, we might remember them. There's so many factors that go into what we can recall and what we can't. And as somebody who personally does remember several traumatic memories from being three or four years old, I know how concrete they feel. I don't know how solid they actually are. They're just the perception of my little three year old brain. And so the fact that Karen was able to hold onto this memory, especially in the face of being manipulated by her father who's trying to implant a completely different memory, and I'm sure that he spent a great deal of time doing so, so for her to be able to hold onto that, to want to get justice for Tommy, and to be able to share that with her aunt and her mom, when, like you said, Robin, she was in a safe space, because I'm sure when she was around Larry there was nothing safe about that space.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, Like when we talk about Larry's trial, a number of their stories are going to come out about and paint him in an even more horrible light, if that's possible, so you can understand why a four year old would have been absolutely terrified of him back in nineteen ninety one. So Larry's trial would begin in Douglas County Circuit Court in January of nineteen ninety five. But it sounds like opinions in the community were still very divided that even though these horrible things came out about Larry, it sounds like he still had some supporters who did not believe he would have been capable of doing something like this to his son. I guess because he had been a sheriff's deputy and maybe there was still enough respect for authority that they didn't believe someone in that position would have been capable about this. But I know that when the trial took place, they interviewed a local resident named Terry Reid, who shared this quote. Quote it used to be a saying that you don't talk about sex and religion here. Well, in this town. You don't talk about sex, religion, and Larry Gibson. It gets into some pretty heated discussions. End quote.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I can imagine Larry would be one of those people where at the dinner table if you brought him up, I'm sure he was polarizing, But I've got to imagine that he wouldn't have that many ardent defenders.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking, Like, it's not like he had lived in the area his whole life. He had grown up in Montana, and I think he'd only been living there for about three years at the time Tommy went missing. So even though he could have made some friends, I don't think he's going to have some like old childhood friends. There's people like that, or have like a family living in the community who would want to go out of their way to defend him. But I guess it's just because maybe back then in the small town communities there was more of an innocent view of law enforcement than they figured well, if they wore a uniform and were an officer of the law, they couldn't do something like kill their own child.
Speaker 2: And I also think for like dinner party conversation in the nineties, are you really bringing up missing and potentially murdered children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess I could see it because in that particular area, they didn't have like a lot of missing children's cases. Like this was the first time this area got national headlines. So I can only imagine after it was featured on Unsolved Mysteries that there were a lot of heated discussions about it.
Speaker 2: But like, it makes me wonder, were the heated discussions or was it like not in our town. Let's sweep it under the rug and pretend that it didn't happen, because true crime conversations in the nineties are not like they are now. They're not like these acceptable conversations that we have out in the open. There were things that were done kind of in the corner, hush hush, like, oh, you find true crime interesting, you like forensic files? Me too. I mean I was a child, But I'm assuming that's how it went at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely, I'm sure. Because there were so few true crime shows on that time, it was still more of a taboo subject, and a lot of these small towns would talk about it unless it directly affected them and happened in that particular place. So when Larry went on trial, obviously, the police had to change their original theory about Tommy being killed by a stray bullet. They suspected that when Larry left his home to go jogging that morning, Tommy attempted to follow him, but Larry told him to go back to his house and play outside and wait for his sister to come out. But shortly thereafter, Larry then fired his shot into the cap. So the prosecution speculated that after hearing the noise, Tommy walked out into the woods to see what was going on, and when Larry spotted his son, he became angry at him for disobeying him, so he picked up Tommy, took him to the car port, and flew into such a violent rage that he hit Tommy multiple times and wound up killing him while Karen witnessed it from her bedroom window. And when Larry noticed that Carry had been watching him, he decided to place Tommy's body inside his patrol car, drove it behind a woodpile on his property, and then he proceeded to put Tommy's body inside a large white plastic garbage bag and placed it inside the trunk before he headed out jogging to create an alibi for himself so that his wife wouldn't find out what she had done to their son. And they theorized that Larry used this forty seven minute window to come up with a scenario for how he's going to cover up the whole thing where he was going to dispose of Tommy's body. Then he returned home and when Judy told him that Tommy was missing, that's when he contacted the authority, and at his first available opportunity, he drove the patrol car off the property and disposed of Tommy's body in a remote area.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if I should be disgusted or impressed that he was able to find a place to dispose of Tommy's body where it's never been found. But you, like you said, this is such a vast, unpopulated area that it would create so much, so many square miles to search, and it's not like these are all well worn hiking paths. So if Larry's was familiar enough with the area, which he lived there for several years, so he would have been he would know that there would be spots that even if you're searching for a missing child, you're not going to look here, So it could have been a situation where he could have just dumped the body somewhere. He didn't even have to have buried Tommy necessarily. We're assuming that he likely did more cover up than just dump a body in that white plastic bag out in the open somewhere. But he could have just Scott Lucky. I don't know how much of this is organization and how much is just dumb luck.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, enough, the prosecution would push forward a theory about what he did with Tommy's body. He might recall that when he finally admitted to taking the patrol car off the property, he said that he searched a nearby rest area on Interstate five, and it turned out that Larry had a past history of whenever he shot stray cats on the property, he would actually go to the rest area and put them in the trash bin there. So they were beginning to wonder it could he have been brazen enough that he thought he was going to go to this rest area and even put Tommy's body inside the trash bin while he was inside a plastic bag. But of course nothing was found there, and they theorized that maybe Larry did originally go there but decided against disposing of his son's body because he discovered there were too many people or too many cars there. But there was also a nearby logging road known as Swamp Creek Road, which had a remote gravel pit, and investigators claimed there was one occasion when they took Larry to this spot and he reportedly acted nervous and upsets. All they wondered, maybe this is where he actually disposed of Tommy's body. And even though he did search this area, it was known for having bears around. So one possibility is that even if Tommy's body was there, a bear may have carried it off somewhere or disposed of the remains, and Larry just got incredibly lucky that by the time they searched there there was nothing left to find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really interesting. I mean, a gravel pit could make sense, but yeah, if you bury the body just under the surface, the chance of animal predation in an area that's known for having lots of bears is pretty great. So he may have just gotten lucky, and it could have nothing to do with him being well organized, because I would think it would be a really poor move to put Tommy's body in the garbage at the rest area, if it was a known pattern for him to dispose of dead cats there, and maybe because he was in law enforcement, he at least had the foresight to go, oh, I've done this before, So of course they're going to look into this as being a possible dump site for Tommy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it seems ridiculous, like if you put your son's body in a public trash band, they are going to find it, Like, I think who's ever gonna collect it is going to notice a child's body in there. But I think it says a lot about Larry's mentality where he has no qualms. I'm gonna shoot straight cats and then I'm going to go to a public rest area to dispose of them rather than just burying them on the ground or something, which just kind of shows that, regardless of what he did to Tommy, he was already a very weird person. So, since they did not have Tommy's body and there was no physical evidence to prove any of this, the case against Larry would pretty much rely heavily on Karen's testimony, and the prosecution really went all out to try to make Karen look like a very sympathetic, believable witness. At this particular point, she was eight years old, even though she was four at the time of Tommy's disappearance. But when she went on the witness stand, she was actually clutching a teddy bear in her arms because it made her feel more comfortable. And she said that when Larry realized that she had seen him kill Tommy, he told her that if she did not keep her mouth shut, she would either go to jail or the same thing and happen to might happen to her as well, which is why she was able to remain silent about it until a few months later, when Larry ordered her to tell the police a completely different story about Tommy getting abducted by a couple in a pickup truck. And of course, she said that I was too afraid to share this until I moved to Iowa with my mother a thousand miles away. It was in a safe space where I could finally come out with this story. And when asked under cross examination if she still loved her father, Karen simply replied, no.
Speaker 2: Wow, poor Karen, She's been put through so much. It's one thing to lose your brother, but it's a whole other thing to be put into this untenable position by this person that you are supposed to trust, supposed to protect you. And it's very clear that Larry did not protect Karen. He put her in harm's way multiple times. He manipulated her, and it sounds like he gas lit her, and he really tried to form this narrative and in the end it didn't work, and everybody seemed to unite against him, which is at the very least, it seems like everybody in his life saw him for who he truly was.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely. And the thing is that they would bring his half sister, Judy to testify in the stand, and she gave what I think is more damning testimony, saying that a few months after Tommy went missing, she actually received a frantic, tearful phone call from Larry, who said that this was the very day when he was confronted by law enforcement about having potentially been responsible for Tommy's disappearance, and he apparently made a tearful confession to Debbie that he had killed his own son and he was worried that Judy would never forgive him for it, and he told Debbie so that he might need money to post bail if he was arrested. And years later, when Judy and the children moved in with Debbie, she claimed there was an incident where they were watching an episode of The Flintstones on television which showed a picture of a large hole, and upon seeing this, Karen supposedly said that she didn't want her daddy to put her in a large hole like he did with Tommy. And shortly thereafter that's when Karen finally came clean shared her whole story about having witnessed her father killed Tommy. And I'm sure that made a major impression on the jury that Larry's own half sister was willing to share this story on the witness stand and paint him in a damning light.
Speaker 2: To think like this little four year old child she was put in a position where she saw this happened to her little brother, Tommy, who I'm sure she loved very much, and then to live in fear. We don't know what Larry had said to her. Did he threaten that he was going to put her in a hole, or that if she told anybody that he would do the same thing to her. We can't know exactly what Larry said to Karen. But it was obviously he either demonstrated with his actions or with his words, or with both that it wasn't in her best interest to come forward while she was in the home with Larry, But once she was in that safe space and once she started sharing after seeing that hole like that is just so heartbreaking, this little girl watching the Flintstones and being triggered by this of a whole and thinking about her little brother and how she doesn't want to have the same faith before her.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, definitely. And this pretty much would get corroborated when Judy took the stand to testify, because she acknowledged that at the outset, she legitimately did not believe that Larry had anything to do with Tommy's disappearance until she heard Karen's story, but she would also share some horrific stories of physical abuse that her and her children experienced during the marriage. She said at the time Tommy went missing, Judy had been taking some college classes on the side, and this apparently made Larry angry because he had to watch over the kids much more frequently than usual, and this apparently caused his stress levels to rise and could explain why he just lost it on Tommy on that particular day. She also recounted an incident before Tommy went missing when she came into the kitchen and found Tommy screaming and lying on the floor next to his fallen high chair with Larry standing over him, and he also had red marks on his face, and when Judy told Larry not to hit the children so hard, he repl well, I did hit Tommy, but I didn't hit him bath hard, so he's just over exaggerating. And she also said that Larry would get aggressive with Tommy, pushed and whenever the boy got into his way, and there was also an additional incident where Larry pushed Care into the ground because she was interfering with his television watching. And after they moved away to Montana and Judy had two more daughters, she said that there were accounts of abuse for Katrina and Lisa, even though they were also both just infants at the time. She actually said that after returning home from the hospital after giving birth to their youngest daughter, Katrina, she noticed red marks on the leg of Lisa, and when Larry tried to say the remarks were rugburns, Judy said that she later witnessed him hit Lisa when she got in his way and it left similar looking red marks. So this is painting picture of Larry as someone who never should have had children to begin with, because he just has this huge temper he is set off by like the literalist infractions, So it sounds more and more believable that he could have just snapped and killed Tommy on the he went missing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's sounding like somebody who gets very frustrated by children and who acts out physically and in an aggressive manner, and somebody who lacks the patience and the fortitude to be able to go okay, like some of the inner strength. Children are difficult, you accept that, And it sounds like he wasn't the type of person who was going to accept that his children were going to be difficult or his wife would be quote unquote difficult if people didn't act in alignment with the way that Larry believed that they should. It seems like he went all corporal punishment on them, which is just not an acceptable way to treat your wife for children.
Speaker 1: Especially at that age, like getting so angry at like a two year old just because they interfere with your television watching and the way he's just trying to pawn it off on his wife's saying, well, it's your fault because you're taking college classes, so now I have more responsibilities and I just can't handle that. I just don't have the patience. So he definitely sounds like a narcissist where nothing he ever does is ever wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, and I feel like the fact that his wife's attention is directed outwards at bettering her future, bettering their future, he should be excited about that, but what it's doing is taking time away from the home and time away from attention that could be put squarely on him. And I feel like he's just the type of person where he needs to be that focal point. He needs to be the center of the family, the center of everything, and if anything deviates from that, then he's going to act out like a petulant child.
Speaker 1: Yep. And that totally sounds like it would fit his personality there And as you can imagine, this whole trial did not paint him at all any flattering light. But to be fair, the alternate scenario pushed forward by the defense is that they thought that Karen may have been coached again by her mother Judy after she separated from Larry, and that because she wanted to get back at him, she pushed forward this false scenario about Karen witnessed Larry kill Tommy and then went forward to the authority so that he could finally be arrested and sent to jail. And it is it is true that shortly after following her brother's disappearance, Karen have been placed under hypnosis by law enforcement in order to improve her memory. And she never said anything about seeing your father hit Tommy. And even though we know that hypnosis is not one hundred percent reliable, I do wonder, like with a four year old, if you have witnessed such a traumatic event, would you be able to keep it inside and not say anything about it if you were subject to hypnosis at that young age.
Speaker 2: Hypnosis is such a gray area, and that there are practitioners and hypnotherapists that are extremely skilled and are able to get information out of people. And it seems it's just like psychics right in that there are some that are incredibly skilled, but there are others that they feel like snake oil salesmen in that what they're giving is just these broad generalizations and they're not actually able to give anybody anything definitive. They're more reading the signals that somebody's given off and then giving them what they want to hear. Whereas I feel like the same thing with hypnotherapy. It was a very popular thing in that was used by law enforcement in the nineties, but there's a huge margin for error, and there's a lot of things that can go wrong, and you can also implant information while you're trying to extract information, so it can really muddy the waters in a lot of ways. So to think that it was like a popular thing to be doing this to small children like Karen was howled at this time when this was being.
Speaker 1: Done four years old.
Speaker 2: She was not even five years old yet, So wow, is a lot to think, like this poor little girl has been through, She's really run the gamut of these really negative experiences and then trying to get this information. It's just it's kind of boggling my mind.
Speaker 1: It is. Yeah, I mean, I do acknowledge that this is a legitimate point by the defense because Larry apparently consented to the hypnosis and at the time Tommy went missing, she also allowed Karen to be questioned by police detectives a child welfare worker and a therapist, And even though he had scared her pretty good allegedly and made her like stay silent about having witnessed him kill Tommy, it still makes you wonder if he would be willing to allow her to be interviewed by all these people by herself when there's a danger because she's a four year old, that she could finally let loose what she has seen and then implicate Larry. So that was the argument the defense made, is that if this story was true, then there's no way Larry would allowed his daughter to be interviewed on supervised by this many professionals.
Speaker 2: I mean, unless Larry is that narcissistic that he believes that he's done such a number on Karen that she wholeheartedly believes his narrative that he's spun. He sounds like I could go either way. I think that if you are a risk averse person and you are responsible for what happened to Tommy, and you know that Karen has seen it, it would be absolutely asinine to will then allow your four year old daughter to go in undergo hypnosis and then just take take a chance that she wouldn't remember things. The way they actually happened. But Larry seems like the type of guy where he maybe could take that gamble and think I'm just that good that I've convinced my daughter that this is truly the way that things are and not the way that she originally thought that they things played out. So either scenario is possible in my mind, But I'm more inclined to think most people would avoid having their child sit down with the hypnotherapist because they'd be extremely nervous about what they could share.
Speaker 1: That is true. Yeah, Like it is possible that Larry was just arrogant enough to think that he could get away with it and maybe just got incredibly lucky that Karen was able to remain silent and not come out until she moved thousands of miles away from him. And I think that's one of the most controversial elements of this case is because many of the vast majority of people believe that Larry was guilty and that he did something to Tommy. But they're wondering, is the scenario involving the bullet the stray bullet true? Did he actually beat Tommy? Is Karen's story reliable? Because some people have been unwilling to discount the possibility that, yes, it could be true that Judy coached Karen into sharing the story, and that even though Larry did something to Tommy, it was not exactly the truth and Karen never actually witnessed it. So I can see why there is so much controversy surrounding this case. So additional testimony was provided by a former babysitter of the Gibsons who claimed that she looked after Karen shortly after Tommy went missing and heard her make a statement that her father had quote unquote broken her brother, which could be seen as damning as well. And the trial finally provided a resolution for the infamous spot in the Road letter as a resident who lived in Azalea, Oregon named Moran Doschler took the stand to reveal that the anonymous writer was likely his wife, who had passed away in nineteen ninety three, so she wasn't able to testify about it herself. But I will say that after all the hype from the unsaw mystery segment, this resolution was a bit of a disappointment because it turned out that Doschler and his wife had been camping on the Oregon coast on the day of Tommy's disappearance, but she claimed that she had a psychic vision of the event and decided to write an anonymous letter to the authorities recounting what she had seen. As far as I can tell, the contents of the letter what she wrote has still never been released publicly, so we don't know what she put in there. But it does not sound like the Dosler's had any connection to the Gibsons or any personal knowledge of what happened to Tommy. So it turns out that this much hype Spot in the Road letter was probably nothing more than a red herring written by someone who just wanted to interject into the case because they had a so called psychic vision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds about right, and I think that that is pretty much par for the course. When we look at a lot of nineties cases, you often will see somebody who had a psychic vision insert themselves far more than you would in today's cases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So I still wouldn't want to know, though, what they wrote in the letter, But I still want to know what Spot in the Road actually means, if it has any insight into what could have happened to Tommy. But it sounds like it just has no real relevance to the case. So Larry's trial went the last six weeks before it went to the jury, and after deliberating for a total of fourteen hours over the course of two days, they did find Larry guilty. But this is what is very controversial about this case. If he had been convicted on the charges of intentional murder and murder by abuse, which is what he was originally charged with, he could have received a sense of at least ten years in prison for each charge. But for whatever reason, the jury decided to convict him on the lesser charge of second degree manslaughter, which meant that the maximum sentence that Larry could receive was only three years. So after all this, it turns out that Larry was going to spend no longer than three years in prison for killing his own to and a half year old son.
Speaker 2: I wonder what it was with the jury. I guess it was. There is really no evidence that this would be premeditated. It seemed very much like this was a heat of the moment thing where something happened, Larry was in a rush to cover it up. But if he beat his son, then there's a point where you could have stopped. Do you know what I mean? If this was at the hands of Larry, it wasn't like a stray bullet while he was trying to kill a cat. If that was the case, then I can understand manslaughter. But the other scenario that Karen pointed out, it just it seems so egregious that he would get three years for this. This is a human being whose life has been snuffed out, who the rest of the world doesn't get to see what they would amount to, like what they would contribute to this world. He was stolen from Karen, from Judy, from everybody who loved him. And to think that the penalty is three years, it just it doesn't feel satisfactory.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. And like I really wish that the jury had explained their verdict because, like I said, one of the original charges was murder by abuse, and that's exactly what the scenario is. If you beat up your two year old son and wind up killing him, I think that qualifies where a second degree manslaughter would be more logical if the scenario involving the stray bullet was true, because that wasn't a plan crime, that was just a freak accidence in which he caused someone's death. So makes me wonder why they chose second degree manslaughter because that was not one of the original charges. It makes me wonder, Well, we believe that Larry did kill Tommy, but we don't believe Karen's story. But so this is kind of a compromise where we don't necessarily believe he beat Tommy to death, but we want to convict him of something. So that's why we're giving him second agree manslaughter even though like that wasn't one of the original charges.
Speaker 2: What I in my gut, I've got nothing to back this up. But what I think happened is you probably have a jury, you know, full of twelve people, and imagine you've got ten people that are ready to say, okay, this is murder by abuse, and then you've got a couple other people to say, we don't have the evidence of that. We have a four year old girl who's been incredibly troubled and she's giving testimony about what happened. We can't be sure. And so when you have a jury who could potentially be hopelessly deadlocked, but everyone wants to go home to their families. Nobody wants to sit and have to go through this day after day, presenting the case again and again and again, and they know that nobody wants to do a retrial, So perhaps for the jury that was the compromise for them was the manslaughter rather than charging him with murder by abuse.
Speaker 1: That makes sense to me, because, like I said, they deliberated for fourteen hours over the course of two days, so they were obviously debating this a long time, so I'm guessing there were probably maybe a handful of jurors who still thought there was a bit of reasonable doubt where they thought Larry did something but didn't necessarily believe Karen's story. So this was the compromise, second degree manslaughter. But unfortunately, the end result was a very light sentence for the severity of the crime, because Larry had already spent nearly a year in jail at that point to wait trial, and this would count as time served towards a sentence, so he was sent to the Oregon State Penitentiary. He still got additional times shaped off for good behavior, and he was finally released in September of nineteen ninety six after only having served a total of eighteen months there so eighteen months for a father like beating his two year old son to death. And of course people were hoping now that Larry has finally been convicted, he can't be charged with the same crime again. Maybe he'll finally confess to what he did and reveal the location to Tommy's body. But no, even after he was released from jail, even after he was found guilty, he continued to maintain his innocence and say he was railroaded.
Speaker 2: Of course he did. He just sounds like the stereotypical narcissist. He's never going to give those people that love Tommy what they want the most, and that's the chance to reunite with his remains and to be able to bury him or cremate him, whatever they choose to do to give them that resolution. He's not giving that to anybody. And that doesn't surprise me at all based on what we've heard about from Larry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And it gets even worse, like, why do you get a load of this story. After he was released from prison, he did start up a website in which he said he was going to spread away fareness about Tommy's disappearance and hope that he was found because he's still trying to give up the pretense that his son was abducted and he had nothing to do with it. But later on this website would be converted a web into a personal blog for himself because he wanted to further his country music career. Oh God, yeah, I believe it or not yet, Larry. He moved to Montana, and he didn't become like a country music star, but he actually produced some CDs and toured and did a couple live shows in Montana and started up a website for himself. And it was kind of funny because the photograph of him, he's almost completely recognizable for how he looks on Unsolved Mysteries because he's wearing a cowboy hat. He's grown a gray beard, so on the surface, you wouldn't guess that this was the same guy who spent time in prison for killing his son, because he obviously wants to put this part of his life behind him and then just move on. And for years he actually had a YouTube channel where he showed like handheld recordings of his live performances on stage where he's playing songs like Eastbound and Down, the song from the movie Smokey and the bandit. But one thing I noticed is that the comments were conveniently turned off on all these videos because I think he doesn't want people recognize him and leaving discrete comments accusing him of murdering his son because he just wants to move on and hopefully become this big country stars. So at first he was acting like a concerned father about wanting to find the real truth about what happened to his son. But then I think the country music career took precedence.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's so embarrassing. I'm so embarrassed for him. Second hand embarrassment. Yeah, I mean, if somebody has a passion for music, I'm all for them following it. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there. But I'm not congratulating Larry on anything that he does, especially when we harken back to the beginning of this case when he put out that song about his son being missing, about Tommy's disappearance, and it's like, was your objective ever to find Tommy? Likely not, it was to further your own music career. And the fact that you've transitioned this website about your son into your music website is just so weird. It's such a weird thing. He's such a strange man.
Speaker 1: He is. Yeah, Like I remember a light bulb went over my head when I found out about this, and then I remembered like the early stages of the investigation where he recorded that song for Tommy and it played on the local radio and television, and I'm like, eugh, this guy probably is guilty and caused his son's disappearance, and he's capitalizing it because he probably had this dream that he wanted to be a country music singer and is thinking, oh, I'll use this as an opportunity to release a song with the media and maybe it'll help my career. And then he tries it once again after he has already served time in prison, and I tried to give like the benefit of the doubt, thinking maybe this is a completely different Larry Gibson, because he does look a lot different after all these years. But then I watched the YouTube video and him introducing one of his songs and I recognize that monotone on emotional voice, and then like, that is totally the same guy here, and here he is just trying to start this second life and pretend that he didn't do this horrible thing thirty years ago. One other thing I wanted to mention is that there was a poster on the Unsolved Mysteries message board at the Sitcoms Online for him who wrote that about sixteen to seventeen years ago. He actually found Larry on Facebook and actually took the initiative to message him and ask him about Tommy's case, and he said, I was totally expecting him to block me and like not want to talk to me, But surprisingly Larry responded within twenty four hours and was surprisingly cordial and open about talking about Tommy's disappearance. But he also still maintained his innocence, saying that his attorney screwed him during the original trial and that he was wrongly convicted. And he also said, well, I've reconciled with my three daughters and we have a great relationship now, but we technically only have his word on that. I somehow have doubts that he would reconcile with Karen after she testified against him at the trial. And I've been unable to find any hard information about Judy or any of the three daughters whereabouts today. But it just shows kind of his narcissism here where I think he knows that no matter what I say, I've served my time, I can't be convicted of the same crime again. So I'm totally going to talk to this random stranger about my son's disappearance on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds about right, And yeah, I would call into question how close these relationships with his daughters actually are. Will never truly know because being he's probably of the mind that if he says it, no one's going to come out publicly to refute him because they can't be bothered. So he can essentially say whatever he wants further, whatever narrative, and they're likely not going to oppose it. So he can paint himself to look like he's this great, reformed guy and that his family loves him and nobody's going to say otherwise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, So he's doing whatever he can to help his image. But obviously the Unsolved Mystery segment is still out there, so he still comes across pretty badly to like a nationally televised audience. I guess the last thing I wanted to talk about is Judy's original interview on Unsolved Mysteries, because the story she told is that at that time she recorded it, she legitimately believed that Larry was innocent and wouldn't had any responsibility for Tommy's disappearance. But then she comes out at the trial saying that she had already seen like Larry allegedly hit Tommy even before this happened, and that there was a history of domestic abuse in the homes. So when she's recording it, he kind of sense now that she has kind of this fear in her eyes, that she's saying what her husband wants her to say, and that even if she does not have any direct knowledge or involvement, she's still pushing forward this narrative because she's terrified that if she says the wrong thing, then he might take it out on her after the cameras have stopped rolling. So I do believe that once she finally got the courage to separate from Larry move away, and then Karen came forward this story, that's when a big light bulb came over her head and she realized that Larry probably killed my son. But of course the narrative push forward by Larry and his defense team was that Judith wanted to get revenge on Larry by getting coaching Karen to share this false story about having witness Larry kill Tommy. But I don't think very many people believe that.
Speaker 2: No, I really highly doubt that. And the dynamics in a relationship where somebody is abusive, where it sounds like Larry was very abusive to the kids and to Judy, and she must have been incredibly terrified. And so you know when they said that, yeah, she technically passed that polygraph, but she probably knows more. She likely suspected more. And if you know that your husband is a violent man, then there's a strong likelihood that he could have had something to do with what happened to Tommy, especially if you're seeing that things aren't lining up. So my heart really goes out to her because I can't imagine what it would be like in a situation where you're afraid for Karen. Right, So if you go and speak out against Larry, who you know is a sheriff's deputy, So right from the jump, everything's working against you. Your husband's in law enforcement, his behaviors, it's been abusive, you're scared, and so when you're questioned, you're going to assume that everyone's going to fall into line, because that's what law enforcement does. I don't think that Judy could have known that they would have thoroughly investigated Larry and that he would later be charged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And it is such a strange situation that she went on to have two more children after Tommy when missing. But maybe she was thinking, well, if we have more kids, he's going to mellow out a little bit and we can be a family again. But he turned out he was worse since he allegedly abused his children when they were like one in two years old. So I think she was just finally building up the courage to get away from him. But it would be interesting to do a statement analysis on her Unsolved Mysteries interview and try to determine how much she knew at the time she recorded it and how fearful she probably was about saying the right thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, send it over to me at some point in time. We can go through these interviews and I can pick apart both their statements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or if you send me the transcripts, it's a lot. It'd be really easy to just kind of go through it, even just superficially and give you kind of my analysis on what my thoughts are with where she could be coming from.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Yeah, as we talked about, unsolved mysteries had their fair share of interesting interviews where a number of people appeared on camera thinking that it would make them look good, but it wound up doing the exact opposite, and Larry Gibson is no exception. So sadly, this case wound up officially being closed after Larry's conviction, even though Tommy's body was never officially found and I don't know if there's still an active search for it. And I can see why this one was referred to as one of the most unsolved solved mysteries you've ever seen because we had a conviction. But regardless of whether you feel about Larry, it's unsatisfying because if by some small chance he was innocent, he had to serve time in prison for something he didn't do and the real perpetrator got away with it. But if Larry was guilty, which he probably was, he got off way too easy. It's like he only had to serve eighteen months, go on living his life and try to start this country music career. Well, whose poor son is buried out there and never got a chance at life. So I can see why this is such a frustrating and controversial case. So any further thoughts on the disappearance of Tommy Gibson, My.
Speaker 2: Heart just really goes out to the surviving family members here because they don't get that resolution in knowing what happened to Tommy and like knowing what happened as in where he is and Karen and Judy and then the other children have to have a father like Larry. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been, and so I truly hope that they're at places in their lives where they've been able to have happy lives and been able to move past the trauma that this must have created and persevere.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I don't know what happened to Judy and the rest of the daughters after Larry's trial, but I do hope that they went on to have like happy lives and are doing well today. So that about brings an end to our series about the disappearance of Tommy Gibson. Thank you so much for joining us, and we'll be back again next week to talk about another case.
Speaker 2: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons.
Speaker 2: We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and Chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy