Speaker 1: Hello and welcome the Deep Blue Sea the podcast I am Mark Boody went Thump Hoffmeyer and I am Jade.
Speaker 2: Time is tissue Cluet. Welcome you, Welcome to Steve see the podcast on this show with into the entire we see truity scene by scene. We'll do it again, but not today. Today we are continuing our year of Reptiles twenty twenty sixty movies from the very special twentieth anniversary show twenty years ago. Pretty much today, Snakes on the Plane was released. What is Snakes on the Plane? It's it's it's exactly what it says on the ten is the most says on the tin.
Speaker 1: It was high concept title I ever.
Speaker 2: Yes. It's directed by David Aretis with a screenplay by John Heaveman. It's Bastan guty eras a story by David Dallasandro and John Heavenan, and it stars Samuel Jackson and a bunch of snakes on a plane. It's the most straightforward assassination plot you can possibly think of, as a witness to a murder who is being transported on a plane, and the best web taking that plane down is, of course, to fill it with venomous snakes and some pheromone laced Laize and a bunch of Kookie passengers to get killed offs from la to Hawaii to fly back to LA. Yep, it makes so much sense. Wen't even need to get into it. It makes so much sense. But we do have a guest today who could not wait to talk about snakes on a plane. And in my research, apparently this film is based on aliens. So it makes a lot of sense that we have our James Cameron correspondent joining us back from a word of hell mouth is Heather back and de Walsh. Heather welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Oh praises to the PlayStation.
Speaker 4: That did not.
Speaker 2: Age well, So much of this film kind of did kind of didn't age well. We'll get into it. You know, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: So this movie's a tooth. This was released in two thousand and six, but it feels like a two thousand and two movie.
Speaker 2: I know, it feels like it should have come out around the same time as The Cool That's it. That's always like like even the fashion had evolved a little bit since then, Like this was like one two three.
Speaker 1: I know that you make a movie beforehand and you release it and you need reshoots and all that kind of stuff. But it's like an odd It's like an early two thousands movie released in two thousand and six, and for talking about aging, well, it's just an odd little thing when you rewatch it, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I don't think that.
Speaker 3: It would have I don't think that anything would have happened with it. It wasn't for all the marketing. I think, yeah, it was the title. It's the title, yeah, if and then there was like just silliness and there were memes. It was the first time too, I think, and I might be wrong about this, but if not, it was one of the first times that there was memes about the movie before the movie was released website.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're talking like they they went to hall H for this in two thousand and six, before Hall H was a real big thing, like Snyder. Snyder was one of the first people to really get hall H booming before Marvel and all those ages like Zack Snyder were three hundred and those types of movies. But yeah, they put in Hall H. It was packed to the brim. Sam Jackson's selling it like there was websites for this movie. I mean, buzz Buzz was immense. I mean, if you were you know, we were living in the States, Jay was in the UK. But I remember just this was every if you were movie savvy and internet savvy, you thought this thing was gonna blow up. And I was listening into the commentary today and it's one of the most interesting commentaries because they recorded it before the movie came out, and all of them were just punched drunk, like just drunk on success, like this movie's gonna be huge. At one point, Sam Jackson goes, this movie is gonna be large and it wasn't and so and okay, before we jump in, I just wanted to a one more thing. So we have we have the the the what three g's. He has a song called Booty Goes Thump.
Speaker 2: I don't, but he went thump, body went thumb.
Speaker 1: How does that work? How? How? What's the hook? What's the chorus? Booty went thump thump thump, Like.
Speaker 2: That doesn't It's gonna be a lot of bassline in that. I feel like the bass is the thumb is that's all.
Speaker 4: See, that's all you need.
Speaker 1: Like Hunters, this is how it's done, done done. So it's like Boody went thom thumb thomp, but that's still like that actually works pretty well. But but thump body went thom.
Speaker 4: See now you're selling it and I'm buying it.
Speaker 1: This song like it's just kind of clunky, you know, but maybe that's the reason for it. Booty went from film folm.
Speaker 3: Tongue kind of that though, is is was it trying to be legit and it ends up being funny because it's not? Or is it funny because it was intended to be funny? That is like the question mark of everything in this movie.
Speaker 1: Though after listening to the writers, it was not intended to be funny. Oh no, oh no, I know that, I know, I know that. Listen guys listening to the listening to the commentary, these guys are like, yeah, we didn't have these boobs before it, and like it should be called snakes on a tit like they were just talking.
Speaker 3: And you're just like that it was hilarious.
Speaker 4: Like if it was intended to be funny, this was comic genius.
Speaker 1: But I don't think it. I don't think it was. I don't think any of it. So David R. Ellis, he's a good directory to Final Destination too. He was second unit on Deep Blue Sea, which is a great tie in. He worked on Cellular homer Bound two. But he's a very efficient director. I don't think he's the funniest director. And they filmed this to be PG thirteen Lionsgate did, so I don't think this movie had any of the crass humor or.
Speaker 2: Like you know Flight one two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is yes. So, I mean, no one knew what they were doing here. They had a movie called Snakes on the Plane.
Speaker 2: They're like aam. Jackson knew exactly what he was.
Speaker 1: He did and he thought it the whole time. But this movie is such an easy sell. So, Heather, you're a studio executive in an elevator. I walk into that elevator and I'm like a junior movie producer, and I look at you and go, snakes on a plane.
Speaker 5: So that's it.
Speaker 3: Though it works like that's what it doesn't worked, that's it, And that literally encapsulates the entire movie.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Did you just say snakes on it? I don't care what the plot is or the way that they get the snakes on the plane. Just make this movie. Make it now, and you know, and then and it also ends at ninety five minutes and there's still another ten minutes left of it. I kept waiting for something to happen. I don't know if you guys caught that they land a plane that everything enough happens. No, but like they landed and then there's like twelve minutes of just hanging out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it goes on a bit, it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean they had there like five days of extra shooting, like based on the Internet hubbub, I missed it. Other than the famous line. I kind of want to know what else they added to that in those five days.
Speaker 1: The guy going hey, big man in the bat they added the worst, They added the worst people, the guy that got his dick chomp yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Taylor Kitchen, he's the other guy.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he got his nipples along with the yeah. And also those breasts in there, the immediacy of them and the way it was done. I'm like, this feels like an Asylum film. I mean, I'm literally just here for no reason at all.
Speaker 2: Five years later, Snakes on a Plane would be an Asilumn film, And next week we are talking about Snakes on a Train The Asylum Mark. Don't worry, You're not on that episode.
Speaker 3: I think we actually brought this up too, because there was another There was a sci fi original one that came out a couple of years later, and I don't remember the title of it, but it was with Luke Perry and it was like serpents on a submarine or something like that.
Speaker 1: Maybe on a submarine.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it was, or might be there was something on there on a submarine.
Speaker 4: It had Luke Perry in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I swear that Jay and I had this conversation probably years ago snake.
Speaker 1: What did just snakes?
Speaker 3: And know what?
Speaker 1: Serpents in a submarine?
Speaker 4: Submarine? I'm getting the title wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm on Luke Perry's IMDb, and.
Speaker 4: Like that's probably the best way to find it.
Speaker 1: We should just make it up.
Speaker 2: Already has so Luke Perry, we have we have Okay, silent venom.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's it.
Speaker 2: Maybe American submarine traveling through dangerous territory waters. It's putting an even more danger when two scientists bring venom a snake's on board. Silent venom will be covered this year on the box silent Why not serpents?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: Serpents on a summary? That's such a better.
Speaker 3: It better.
Speaker 4: They should have hired me for their marketing.
Speaker 2: Also features Christa Allen, Oh hey, Anaconda Films Yeah, and leg It Freaks.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Tom being you know what's funny. I was gonna say, like a Tom Berenger type to be in that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Anthony Quinn.
Speaker 1: Maybe I know this movie.
Speaker 3: He probably think on one of my old websites too. I think I literally once a week, I think I had or once every two weeks. I think I did a I think I did a sci fi original movie. I think I did a review and watched a bad movie and I ended up really having fun watching all these really terrible sci fi originals.
Speaker 4: But that one has stuck with me.
Speaker 1: What does Silent Venom mean? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Remember Sliperry in a summary with snakes, that's.
Speaker 2: All it's going to be playing off of, Like Run Silent, Run Deep. There's a submarine that's the past.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's like you might be giving it too much credit. Yeah, you might be giving it way too much credit.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah yeah, wait, sorry, I got Crystal Allen and Crystal Allan confused.
Speaker 3: I volunteered to come on and rewatch it. I volunteered to volunteers.
Speaker 1: It's probably it's got to be on YouTube. It's not. It's wait, you can rent.
Speaker 2: It doesn't appear to be on YouTube.
Speaker 4: Is always away to much.
Speaker 2: I don't want to pay for silent.
Speaker 4: I will pay for it.
Speaker 2: It's on stuff.
Speaker 1: Silent, Okay, silent?
Speaker 3: Then it makes no sense because venom doesn't make noise. Maybe maybe I'm like a spitting cobra.
Speaker 1: What silent? But who came up with this title?
Speaker 2: Like? What do we we need a title?
Speaker 1: Silent Venom? It's like that submarine we did a good title?
Speaker 2: Makes sense? What do you like?
Speaker 3: It's I can't tell you how many years I have thought that the movie was called Serpents on a Submarine.
Speaker 4: I knew that it was wrong. That is how I describe it always.
Speaker 2: I mean, every every creature film should be something on something.
Speaker 1: Was it like three s's like serpents or four s is serpent on a Submarine?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Was that not even better? Silent Night?
Speaker 2: No silence Serpents?
Speaker 1: What like Crimson Snake Tide like I don't know.
Speaker 2: From suntide for the Red Cobra? That what?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? There it is the hunt for Red Cobra.
Speaker 4: There we go, we should make this movie.
Speaker 1: It ties in Red Cobra, which I'm pretty sure is a movie. There Cobra is a movie. There's a Red Scorpion and then there's the hunt. You're just so you could confuse so many people that I think I've seen this, but I'm gonna watch it. It's just wait, that was Cobra with Stallone. Wait, that was Red Scorpion with Dolf Lander Snake Russian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's just let's just watch it and find out what happens. Yes, why is he Russian? But he has a he has a Scottish accent.
Speaker 2: Oh god, and saying a lot of s words. That's gonna be.
Speaker 4: There's so much whistling with his.
Speaker 3: There's mane, it's a silence.
Speaker 4: Sp no boobs here. I need more boobs in my movie, Alex.
Speaker 1: In this movie's the first three minutes of this movie's dirt bike riding, and you're just I remember I remember six sitting in the theater and just going uh oh, like just just three minutes because I know it. Grind was like out cold, like extreme sports were popular, but that kind of word. And then also I love the punch that happens at three minutes and forty five seconds, when the guy's upside down he gets popped in the stomach. In my head, I made the sound a lot bigger, but I do love the punching thing.
Speaker 2: This film does not have enough unhinged Eddie Kid. Yeah, you've got him bloodily beating it gout to death whilst he's wearing a white suit, and then you kind of don't really see him again other than when they're making the plant and he's like, do you know, I think I didn't Every other option, as if this is the only possible solution to his problem is snakes.
Speaker 4: Bringing it back to Sean Connery.
Speaker 3: This is very much so like James Bond asked, ridiculous villain with an over ridiculous problem and way to solve it.
Speaker 2: I just wanted more scenes of Eddie Kim like later on when we're telling like, oh, we arrested him. I need to see that. I need to see like a hail of bullets. I need to see him like not going down with a fight. This is the bad guy from the film. It's not the snakes, it's him, and he just disappears. Lawson.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the plan here, so he's like, okay, this this kid saw it and he probably could have just waited there, but he took off on his dirt bike and also real quick, the loudest. Why did he like.
Speaker 3: He couldn't, like you said, he could have hidden in the bushes until they were gotten away.
Speaker 1: And I don't think Sam Jackson. I don't think Sam Jackson liked the actor because during the commentary they were talking about him, he's like, he's like yeah, and then there's a sea where Sam Jackson sleeping and he's like, yeah, that's what he thought about working with Sean Jones and shots were being fired. But I don't think the kid says many. I don't think the kid ever says this full sentence in the movie.
Speaker 4: He's not really important in the movie. That's the part that's like really funny. He's just a generic white guy there.
Speaker 1: Does he ever see a sentence?
Speaker 2: I think at the end, this should have been like someone with with This should have been a character. This should have been an actor with something to him, even if it's like an audible kind of guy. This should have been not Tom.
Speaker 3: Green, literally anybody else, like even I will give don't give them credit for this. All of the characters in the movie outside of him, even even the lady who had the snake come up her skirt, who was sitting there sleeping and she woke up and it's coming out of her shirt. Yeah, she had something like. The characters were well ridiculous, were memorable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great. Yeah, it should have been shown Williamscott because he can.
Speaker 3: Give some legitimacy too, exactly, and he.
Speaker 2: Would have been funny. He can do comedy. He just do something. Uh yeah, fixed this guy.
Speaker 4: Nathan just made it a halfway decent movie by accident.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's had a good career, Nathan.
Speaker 2: It's a great movie. This is a phenomenal film.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they never let him say more than one Are you all right? Yeah? And then the girl just falls in love with him. There's two blondes who are similar.
Speaker 4: A lot of romance happening too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone's a lot of romance.
Speaker 2: I like that Sam Jackson breaks the ice with Juliet and Muggies by accusing her of being racist.
Speaker 3: You people, I do like, where the why and why was she pissed at first? Like he's an FBI.
Speaker 4: I need these seats. You you people, come on here and take my seats, like.
Speaker 2: The f I like, sure, I get she's pissed because she's the one who's got to tell all the first passengers they just sit in coach. Is it safe? It is a great line from the character.
Speaker 1: Wait, is it I wanted to get Well, I get there on time, sir. I'm pretty sure that was a good line.
Speaker 4: That's actually funny.
Speaker 1: In it. Yeah, there was.
Speaker 2: There was there.
Speaker 4: Look, it's not a good movie in any way, shape or form, but it is entertaining.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I disagree with the first half of that. I think this is a movie. I enjoyed. I love this film. This is like one of the few films we've covered on the show where I saw it in the cinema on opening release. This is this is like a rarity for me in that time. I was. I bought into the hype. I took a friend with me to go and see this. Opening day, I finished work and went to straight to see this and I really enjoyed it. And he didn't. But it's fine, Kevin Lewis, I'm sorry, No, it flies by.
Speaker 1: I mean, I likely, but then you can tell it's like three different movies. There's a scene where they say, also, BATTACKI with their kid on a plane. Luck with kids on planes.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of children involved here too.
Speaker 1: They're cutting open a child's arm and putting all oil on it and stuff, and she's sucking out poison. And then the guys like they're like, I got a bite. It's like, how do they a sexualisucking poison out of a child.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm not even surprised anymore that that would be a thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but but by the way, yeah, they don't. Don't suck. Don't suck that amount of somebody's arms. That doesn't work at all.
Speaker 3: Also, the pheromones, that's not going to make them crazy and attack.
Speaker 4: And it's mostly used on female snakes, not male snakes. Also, I didn't even mind, like usually too uh like really bad c G. I just ruins it for me and it'll be, it'll be.
Speaker 3: But in this one, I was like, nope, I'm I'm I'm on board with the CGI, on board with the band CGI. They didn't even try, They didn't try to use a single practical effect with a single real snake. I don't think there was one real snake in this movie.
Speaker 2: Even though they brought in four hundred and fifty In the film, Sam Jackson had had in his contracts that a snake couldn't be within eight meters or twenty five feet of him. True.
Speaker 4: Yes, respect I love snakes personally. I love snakes. I wanted a snake as a pet forever, and nobody that I live with accepts it.
Speaker 2: So I get it.
Speaker 4: I do get it. They're they're unnerving to some people. I think they're cool as hell.
Speaker 2: I can't caught any of the CG and it's bad just because of the sum of the c JO. We've seen it in many of our other films that we have.
Speaker 1: This stuff is awardworthy and it's twenty years old. It's like, yeah, it had a thirty million budget too. This wasn't a big budget movie. And I bet you Sam Jackson got seven of that. Oh so, I mean, this is a movie that I had like a twenty million dollar budget to shoot.
Speaker 3: So he plays it straight too. He plays it like he plays it like he does everything. He's like, I don't care what I'm in, I'm gonna do my best.
Speaker 2: I like to act period in his element. This is great prime Sam Jackson. Some of the scenes is a bit I've really enjoyed way. It looks like he's gonna go into a deep Lucy esque speech and it gets cut off by the three cheese wrapper guys like okay, I already hate this guy, Why you make me hate him more? And then like Keenan gets his speech instead.
Speaker 4: But I forgot Keenan was in it too. I totally forgot about Keenan. He was great.
Speaker 1: I love him as a pot. I got my man, my main man here, the like the King of Kings Jackson's is like what does he do? He's like, I can land this and then he lands it. That was good.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, you've been playing this sun a game PlayStation or xbox.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that bar was great.
Speaker 3: I legit would buy into that too, they would, but you would actually do that if nobody could fly and somebody had played the video game flight. Yeah, those are those are actually pretty complicated. My my husband, Mike, he is he always wants to do it.
Speaker 4: He's like, I'm gonna learn to fly, and like, yeah, but you can't land, so we're gonna die. You can't do it. Like I know, I'm supposed to be a supportive and encouraging, but I hate flying. I'm terrified. Of flying. I fly, I do it, but I hate it.
Speaker 3: I'm the guy who did not the poor guy who got killed with it from his honeymoon.
Speaker 4: I'm him on a plane.
Speaker 3: I'm like, nope, nope, get me drugs or knock me out, or I'm gonna sit here and I'm just gonna do deep breathing exercises. So I'm constantly I'm like, don't do the flight simulator. Stop it, stop wasting your money, will crash, We'll die.
Speaker 1: And they really set it up too. It's like it's a game plan. You were are you playing the game?
Speaker 2: And then he's playing it with the kid they stabished him as a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And the three g's got some personality, Clarence.
Speaker 2: He should have died, Clarence.
Speaker 1: I like the dog scene, and I like that he's a germophobe.
Speaker 3: Like there's a weird that was so random. I'm like these like the Howard hughes of rappers.
Speaker 1: And then I had a really good laugh. He's like, you want to be an actor? I need I need a bikini girl on my video.
Speaker 2: And then he's Jennifer opens the door and the dead couple food on him. But he's such he's such a dingus in the rest of the film. I really didn't like him. I already wanted him to die because he's like a guy who he's like the tiber Ale in the Doorn of that remake. He's like that guy you hate, and then he gets killed and he didn't.
Speaker 1: Our Lady Lynn Shay gets it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the one, the one sacrifice that was sad, I'll do.
Speaker 1: They did have a real snake in that. I don't know how that snake got in a light picture. The giant too. He who cares?
Speaker 2: What is that? What part of a plane is that? Why would a plane have that?
Speaker 3: They did not care, And I kind of love it, and I don't think of logic matters. That's why I asked if it was intended to be serious or not, because I love it the way it is. I would put Sean Williams Scott in it now that I would change it that way, but I like it the way it is.
Speaker 4: But it's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make it, nothing makes any sense. We're just gonna do this and everyone will enjoy themselves and won't think about it.
Speaker 1: That's a great point too, because Jay and I were talking about Anaconda's The Hunt for the Blood Orchid, and it's just a kind of it's not funny. It's filmed well, it's acted fine, but it's such a bland film. It's effective, but it's blandly effective and you don't really remember it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: And the fourth one.
Speaker 2: That is the fourth one. That's the second one.
Speaker 3: Sorry, okay, yeah, fun You guys are so well versed in these kinds of movies.
Speaker 1: Now you are reptile cinema. But it's boring. So at least this one's not boring. But and I kind of love that, Like Snake's on a Plane go write it and someone's like, oh, well, I guess people are on a journey to grab poisonous snakes from somewhere and they're on a cargo airplane and the snap or an airplane. They sneak them onto something and then they fly back and then they get loose because it's a bumpy flight and they could have made it real, realistic, but instead they're like, nah, we got this dude. Make Eddie Kim. He's got to kill this guy who's gonna flip flip as a witness. So he calls this dude in la. He's like, give me snakes. They send snakes to Hawaii. They put those snakes in a box, and then he's like, we gott to infuse these snakes with pheromones. And then they're like, oh, hey, I got people here that work at the airport. We're gonna put them in a time to release crate and we're gonna work. It's custom it's customer research done. It's wired with electronics. Right, it's they won't see the snakes because they're cold blood.
Speaker 3: This is also eleven. It's not like they would have gotten away quick.
Speaker 1: I got this time release thing and it's and it's gonna explode midway through the frame. But get this, I got this takes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the same type, right, It's all the same type of No.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, hundreds of different types and different types.
Speaker 3: Don't forget.
Speaker 1: I can't get two hundred fifty.
Speaker 4: Cobras they had in there that showed up out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just give me what you got, you know.
Speaker 2: And then he's like, I have this guy in the nineteen foot python.
Speaker 1: Is that okay?
Speaker 2: Should we put that in there?
Speaker 1: Put him in, Put him in.
Speaker 3: I have to tell you guys, though, our local zoo the Detroit Zoo, So I the reptile house is my favorite part, and I follow the zoo on social media, and I know about the animals because I love animals and I love the zoo. There is most of the most of the animals and the Detroit Zoo are rescues. So there is a boa constrictor that's like nineteen feet long that they've had there for the last four or five years.
Speaker 4: Guess where they found it? On a plane, more specifically, in a suitcase on a plane.
Speaker 3: It was a snake on a mother plane. It is literally they have his whole story right there on his his not big enough space where he has to live now to reflect his former environment.
Speaker 1: Well at.
Speaker 3: If you put my fifteen foot ass in a suitcase for three hours too.
Speaker 4: So they come out and start killing people.
Speaker 1: So it's been stuffed with all these snakes. And then they're like, we're gonna spray the lays, so people are gonna attack these people with the late You know, many people know about this. Eddie Kim doesn't want someone to know his face, so he hires about four thousand people to accomplish a mission to kill people like that's so many loose ends.
Speaker 4: Along with the random guy who's the only guy in the desert. Yeah, there's so many clearly a non trustworthy bro.
Speaker 1: So many loose ends. And then it's like we're gonna pop it open in the Pacific and then everyone's gonna die because they're gonna go through the electronics. But they're also going to attack people, and it's just it's such a crazy plan, but I love it. I love that it's not a boring, efficient plan. We're we're on a cargo airplane, snakes get loose and we have real snakes, and hey, this is kind of scary because that coud it.
Speaker 2: Like they even say that.
Speaker 4: This is like eighties cocaine maximum over drive.
Speaker 1: So just what we do, that's the plan. Yes, give me more of that. Like that's and I like it that it's not trying to be too realistic. It doesn't. It could care less about it, and so that's what a reason why I kind of love it. It's just a very silly which there's too many characters.
Speaker 2: Though there's that's enough. I think I like it.
Speaker 1: You like all the characters.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I think they're all memorable. Like sometime I was happy when they when they got theirs.
Speaker 4: They could have. They could have honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the snooty, arrogant British businessman and passenger of course he's British. Yeah, the guy with the.
Speaker 4: Big big we're taking a peek, which you know.
Speaker 3: I I've heard people say that they have like actual fears of snakes coming out of the toilets. I do feel like on Halloween, I put I put snakes on top, like a little little thing on top of the toilet so it looks like there's snakes in the toilet, and I've I've freaked. I stopped doing it because I did it with spiders too, because it freaked people out.
Speaker 4: One of my friends was like, I've I've.
Speaker 3: Had nightmares about snakes being in toilets since I was a child, and now you've just you know, elevated this.
Speaker 4: I need a therapy appointment this week.
Speaker 2: But I like, that's the thing. Yeah. Yeah. And clearly they went on a flight and we're like, okay, where can we put snakes and they just did it order the Where would it be fun for snakes to come out of? So they come out of the toilet, come out of the smoke detector, come out of the oxygen masks. A snake come out of a sick bag? I do. I always like how did that get in there? And why did it go in there? What was it? Chasing large paper packet the perfect place for a snake to hide, but sure find whatever. Yeah. I just like the variety because that's not we always but up against. It's just the way, but it's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very silly. The bag. I love that, Yeah, because leans into that, which I kind.
Speaker 2: Of like, Yeah, what's the what's the most crass ways we can kill people with a snake? You know, it's the biting of the penis, there's the nipple, and it's the snake's going up the drunk lady and she's visibly enjoying it. Then that's not great.
Speaker 1: The married couple just gets wiped out. To the kindly married couple, they just get.
Speaker 4: I wanted them to live, but then when they died, I left.
Speaker 1: Mask Right, there's a snake in the ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, get you get that great shot of that guy like holding the snake coming down from above and him holding it and screaming in its face. That's like one of the famous shots from from this film. And I love that shot. And then again that's a well, how can people die on a plane? The drink card they get smushed by the drink card knocks them out, and then they get if perforated by his nake. And I think it's great. Those people went nothing bad.
Speaker 1: They went down faster than a tie hooker.
Speaker 2: David Kena trying to bring this film down as much as he can.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny When he said that, I'm like, man, what's he like? That's soone nut? Why is he hating on tyh Like? What's the Because it's such an unnecessary thing to say.
Speaker 2: It. Got amazed what man can do with one hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, such a two.
Speaker 4: Thousand and six such Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think you can tell, like literally from the first snake attack on, if you're going to like the movie or not.
Speaker 4: It's pretty clear. It's pretty evident. This is the tone, this is where we're going with this. If you're not on board, you should probably you know, dB, Cooper, your ass off. It's fun.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous, like you said, intended to be or not? I think it's a riot, how ridiculous it is. I really really wanted to watch it with Mike because I wanted to see his He's never seen it, and I wanted to see his reaction. But it didn't work out, so he didn't get to So I'm gonna watch it again with him sometime in the next week.
Speaker 2: The one character like doesn't quite get enough to do is the kickboxer. Yeah, he just kind of feels like he's there for a company. He saves. He saves Mercedes the dog lady. But then that's what he does. He didn't really like get a character or an arc or scene. He's just kind of there.
Speaker 3: Does he even kick a snake? He punches a couple. I don't even remember him kicking a snake.
Speaker 1: He does not kick. Yeah, he does not kick a snake.
Speaker 4: That's disappointing, underutilized.
Speaker 1: The nice thing, though, is watching this makes me realize that I do not miss that era of the two thousands at all. I agree, I don't miss the early two thousands in the States at least. It was such an aggressively weird time, wasn't it, with like those kind of jokes by Koechnor and everything. It's I feel like it was worse than the nineties. I don't know, but so whenever I watch these and I hear these jokes. I'm like, I do not miss that era.
Speaker 3: Distinction burst, extinction, burst, trying to get it in for the last last bit as much in before, before it was no longer okay, even though it was not okay, and then still.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, never. I don't know, I get just I really don't miss that era. So it's I agree, yeah, I know, I'm not trying to bring it down.
Speaker 2: But do you miss the era where people would be amazed at the existence of camera phones?
Speaker 4: Well, here we get to the part of how old we all are.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm going to email you some pictures, musical music.
Speaker 4: Stings, explaining it to the new generations back in our day.
Speaker 1: Kids, it's called an email dick wad isn't that a line from this?
Speaker 2: Or it's a digital camera phone combo. We're like, oh my god, can such a thing exist? That feels dated? Even two thousand and six, I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I think in two thousand and six, I think I still had my rumor. I think I had my rumor, which at the time was like super cool.
Speaker 4: It had to keep head and had to keep ad and just a little I still have it. It's a little green one.
Speaker 1: Yep, what's it a rumor?
Speaker 4: Yeah, rumor? Look them up. They were cool. I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't have a BlackBerry. It was like it was like the low key version of blackberries.
Speaker 1: Oh, I remember that.
Speaker 4: It's like, yep, I got first fancy phone.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite phone was a BlackBerry I had in nine to ten because the battery stayed good for about forty eight hours and had brick breaker. I remember loving, loving that. Yeah. I had the little brick phones before that, you know, like the Nokia's that didn't Yeah, yeah, yeah, the little.
Speaker 3: Fun I remember when people used to like put them on their hip and wear them like they were like holstered like guns.
Speaker 4: It's such a yuppie thing.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I didn't trust myself with the Oh it didn't have a razor though, Like you know, is that a razor?
Speaker 3: Razors had we flipped to.
Speaker 1: I had a razor for a lot.
Speaker 4: That's why I liked my rumor. It was durable. I dropped that thing constantly.
Speaker 1: I thought it was amazing that I could put blinklin a twos damn it as my ring tone on my razor.
Speaker 4: It was so cool when we could first do ring tones. Yeah, we paid for them. Now we all have our muted.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't even know if I'm getting called. I love it.
Speaker 4: I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I see the I see this thing, this little hand computer ring and I'm like, no, who could it be.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to talk on that.
Speaker 3: Text message to me like a normal person, so I can ignore it for two days and then maybe respond and.
Speaker 1: Then just sorry, I got busy just seeing this. Yeah. Actually, I don't like they got busy. I like, hey, I saw it, was going to text you back forgot Like that's a good one.
Speaker 3: When people are like, actually true too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when people are like I just got busy, bro, Like you could have said yes, I'm like, you know, sorry, I'm venting.
Speaker 3: My My thing is I sometimes wait for too long, and I will and then I get back to it. I'm like, it's been three days.
Speaker 4: It's been too long. I can't say anything.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: If I say anything, I either have to explain myself.
Speaker 3: And that's what I just send a really weird gift, like I'm starting a new conversation.
Speaker 1: New phone. That's all right. Why should about the bathroom scene? So they go back for reshoots and they just put the world's worst people, like a junk gets bit, a tick gets bit. What if you just put like a really nice grandma in there or a super pleasant person.
Speaker 4: You would it would have changed it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Would that? That wouldn't have been good. I guess it would have been too mean.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, And you know that they're reshoots to up the rating to it. They're arting more graphic death, but they're also writing mondity because they can. They can fit it in there and still do that with a grandma, but it's less petty white just swearing at people and then get you.
Speaker 4: That would have been funny, like like classics. She was great and like.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know, if you think about this is not this is about take out, the the what dirt bike riding and then the ten minutes maybe fifteen minutes of wrap up, this is a pretty fast film. They kind of, yeah, it gets there, it gets out that a lot of people die, and it's yeah, I know, I had a good time with this movie.
Speaker 2: Has a little Sam Jackson's got like a little mission to go and like turn the yeah, which feels like a weird little like side plot. Yeah, and he's going through all the wires and thinking, Oh, these wires going to be snakes and they never really play up on like all the whites going past could be snakes, which I feel like is a visible thing they could have played with and they don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does out of pyro phase. When I was thirteen, here you go, Oh you had one of those too.
Speaker 2: Like what edgy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's just a smart idea. You don't really need a pyro phase. But I like, no, anybody who put a taser and Sam Jackson hadn't and had him tase cgi snakes just deserves a raise in my book, Like that's a that's enough for me. And it also works, Jay, you were right, and Heather, you're right. Sam wants to be here for this movie, like he was about this and he fought for this movie. So it's not it's not hard to like because you can feel him wanting to be here and fight for it. So that makes me pretty happy. And so I yeah, I don't know, it's I missed the.
Speaker 3: I miss movies that were this length too. I mean, there's been a lot of really fun popcorn flicks this year. I've I've really been enjoying going to the theater for popcorn movies for the first time in a while, and my main complaint on most of them Mandalorian, Mortal Kombat too.
Speaker 4: Even even he a little bit. Yeah, they're just a little bit too long. Can we please make them shorter?
Speaker 3: I don't need to plus hours of every every entertaining movie, like, yeah, is too long?
Speaker 1: Butt Worms? Did you say? Butt Worms? My favorite the year?
Speaker 2: They're not like Poplin films. But I did a double bill of Obsession and backroomsoms one day and they're both too long. They're both like good. I agree, Sessions great, but they just they just these like horror movies, like low budget horror movies. Make them.
Speaker 4: I expect them to be shorter. Yeah, I believe it or not. I went. I only went to see Backrooms because my nine year old begged me to go see it.
Speaker 2: I fell asleep. I missed the end of it.
Speaker 4: It was it was I'm not a big horror.
Speaker 3: Horror is not my favorite genre, and I'm very specific about the horror that I like. And I told him at the beginning, I'm like, look, if you get too scared, just.
Speaker 4: Tell me and we'll leave. It's okay. And there was one point where he went.
Speaker 3: It's getting a little scary.
Speaker 4: I'm like, are we leaving? And he didn't answer. I'm like, I guess we're staying.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was a scene at the table. It was the scene at the table there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't The Pirates.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, but yeah, too long. It was definitely too long. I really liked the beginning of it. I like the first half of it.
Speaker 4: It was fun.
Speaker 1: I would have taken all that furniture and just sold it in my store. I wouldn't even have explored the back rooms. I just would have walked back them and like inventory.
Speaker 3: Free, and I just want My mom told me when I was very young that horror movies couldn't exist without dumb people.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they do, they do, but most of them have people making really poor decisions.
Speaker 1: I tell my students that all the time. They're like, why would they do that? I'm like, because they want you to yell, why would you do that? Like that's they want to sell that to people. So but I you know, you know, I just would have sold the for sure for a while, made some extra cash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get down with it with a tape measure that justin long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that movie too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be funny if they found Justin Long down there.
Speaker 2: Just walking in the direction with the tape measure, like still coming from the basement in Barbaria.
Speaker 1: That's one of my favorite all time data posts.
Speaker 2: I love the longest tape measure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a four K coming out for Barbarian I'm gonna pre order that exclusive steel book.
Speaker 2: So what do we think about the stuff on the ground with Bobby Canavari.
Speaker 1: Playing the junk Usack.
Speaker 2: Playing the junk Usack just as as like the guy who goes to goes to find Todd Luiso maybe my favorite character in the film, as like the the on cool herpetologist I love totally. So he's great because when he enters the film, he's clear he's in a different film. And his first line to is like, tis I like dramatic society, you have misread the rooms.
Speaker 1: I think he's always with it. He's always in a different like in Jerry Maguire, he's kind of in a different movie. I remember he's the friend. I like him. He always seems like he's in another in a movie.
Speaker 4: I agree, he does his own thing. He always does his own thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like when Bobby goes, I got a wife, she's hot, and I think he means and he means it. That was very refreshing.
Speaker 2: I was like, he does good for you.
Speaker 4: Was ahead of its time. That was back then. Guys weren't supposed to admit that they liked their wives.
Speaker 1: He's with Rose Byrn now, so I wonder if they were together at that time. So he was like, but yeah, I got a wife, she's hot, and there's no if sir jokes. You're like, oh, he's got a hot wife like that? Yeah good, I really And then he was bidding on a Pamela Anderson poster that was very O six Oh god, yeah, those a very nineties. I had those posters on my wall in the nineties. I don't know about I was gonna say it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't barbed wire like yeah nineties really maybe? Yeah, yeah, because I remember renting it out when I worked at Blockbuster, and I worked at Blackbuster from ninety nine to like two oh three.
Speaker 1: Nice I was at a theater during that time.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still can't believe my mom let me have like Cindy Crawford and Jenny mccarthyy like bikini posters on my wall when I was like eleven. A real expectation for me. It's a real expectations for me.
Speaker 4: I've had a different timeline that we grew up with.
Speaker 3: So I literally just was on a show a couple of days ago and we were doing our favorite erotic thrillers.
Speaker 1: And watch them all the nineties.
Speaker 3: Watched them all in the nineties, and I can't tell you how many of them I watched with my freaking mother. Like, I'm going like Body Heat, which you know that came out the year I was born, but I saw it when I was I think I was like nine or ten. This is why I have no barometer for what I should or shouldn't show my own children. Yeah, I have no idea what's exceptible what's not, because I'm like, I'm kind of okay, right, I survived, did you re MiB the movies of the eighties and nineties that raised me.
Speaker 1: Jay has heard this many times, But I do remember watching Reservoir Dogs when I was like eleven, and then Pulp Fiction when I was twelve. I distinctly remember going this is too much for me. I do remember that. But I also remember watching Last Seduction with Linda Fiorentino and going I'd probably the same thing would happen to me. Like I remember being like a young kid thinking like yes, yeah, she can't it. Yeah, But also like remember thought like the I was like Linda Fiorentino, I'd go to jail whatever.
Speaker 4: It's worth it totally fine.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. And then like wild Things, like it was a weird.
Speaker 3: Yes, Wild Things was when I saw with my mother. I was seventeen then at least.
Speaker 1: I don't know if see I don't know if that decade was crazy or if our parents just let us do whatever we wanted.
Speaker 3: I think it's our parents. I think part of it's our parents. Also, like that was when we like for me, I got HBO in my room.
Speaker 4: I was like thirteen.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I was watching Red Shoe Diaries, Taxicab Confessions, And that's when I saw my first erotic thriller on my own, and that was Sliver.
Speaker 1: Do you work out?
Speaker 4: Sharen Stone?
Speaker 1: Do you work out to the gym? Have you heard of it?
Speaker 2: I had no.
Speaker 4: Business watching any of That's a tom Berginger by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sliver right, that's with the Baldwin with.
Speaker 4: William Baldwin and Sharon Stone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, do you work out, you work out your BLD or something like that.
Speaker 4: It's not a good movie, but I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's very funny. Is actually very funny, but it's uh yeah, that was up. But also I went to go see Desperado with my mom. Then she took me to a Florida flea market and when I was like thirteen, and bought me throwing knives after watching the doradow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your mom rocks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I threw I went out barefoot into the lawn and I threw it out a palm tree. It bounced off the palm tree and it went right between my big toe and other the toe next to it. I was barefoot in the grass in Florida, throwing thirteen years old, throwing a throwing knife into a palm tree that bounced off and almost impaled my foot.
Speaker 4: That's a real Florida story.
Speaker 2: Story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Florida boy, Florida boys story. It really would have been better for like bounced off and like hit a snake that then bit me. But then I dropped the knife into it, Like you know, that would have been pretty good.
Speaker 4: That had been actually pretty cool. Poor snake though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's a water moccas in there.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 4: Oh wa, yeah you got those down there, forget about it. Those can go away.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's fine. Get out of here, you know, Yeah, get out. Black Snake's fine. Watermoksin's nah. That's that's the motto in Florida. Watermukss nah.
Speaker 2: Can we talk a little bit about this? The song Booty go thump it no no, no no, uh, the Starship Troopers Snakes on Plane.
Speaker 1: Bring it, bring it.
Speaker 2: That's right, Starship you did. That's a that's a film. Uh. Cobra Starship a band that existed barely prior to this film coming out. This was their first single that appeared on their first album, It's It's like created by what was his name, Gabe Supporter, Yes, thank you, Gave Supporter. He went on a vision quest into the desert, took some pot and this is from Wikipedia, but this is his quote. The last Midtown record for me was really introspective. It made me go off into the desert. I went on this whole retreat trip where I was contemplating my life, or when I was in the desert, I got bitten by this snake and I saw a UFO and the snake spoke to me. He's like, yo, man, you've got to stop taking yourself so seriously. You've gotta start having some fun. And I came back and started Brestarship in honor of the snake that bit me. And I was just thinking, that's a great origin story for a bad goes into the desert, does it, gets bitter by snakes? He's her folks, starts a band.
Speaker 1: Wow, I love that. I wish I had that story, but I have.
Speaker 4: I know I have more respect for all of it now. That makes Oh gosh, that's that's fantastic. I'll go to the desert and do peoty together.
Speaker 2: See what happens.
Speaker 4: We'll come up with the band for only I.
Speaker 2: Would say it's quite a bad song. I don't enjoy it.
Speaker 1: That's very.
Speaker 2: Somehow. They had three more albums after this. I haven't listened to any other songs. They've done. Good for them. They disbanded in twenty eleven.
Speaker 4: They're like kind of like emo punkish.
Speaker 2: Pop punk is what they are described as. But but yeah, the same label as Full Our Boy. And that's why the guy from Full of Boys in the music video.
Speaker 1: What times are strange. We got a free upgrade for snakes on a plane. I don't care the lyrics, pop the cheap champaigne. We're going down in flames.
Speaker 2: I think you find the lyrics actually, just oh I'm ready for it. Oh, I'm ready for it. Oh it's just that like four minutes.
Speaker 1: Well, what doesn't he say? So kiss me goodbye, honey. I'm gonna make it out alive. So kiss me goodbye. I can see the venom in their eyes. Goodbye.
Speaker 2: Yes he does, Yes he does.
Speaker 1: It's time to fly to Nice. The sky is alive with the turpentine, with the lounging in their seats and ties. Watch the horrors Parade for the Price of fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's no deepest bluest uh. If I get with a try to go with it.
Speaker 1: They're actually hating on the industry here, ladies and gentlemen. These snakes are slythering with dollar signs in their eyes, with tongue soa or tillion. This industry is venomous with cold blooded sentiment that is punk.
Speaker 3: If they're if they're if they're punk ish, they should be hating an industry that's like the essends of punk and then the Man.
Speaker 2: Right, but that's their first single, and then they put we say It in the industry.
Speaker 1: Yeh, we seem to be losing altitude at an alarming pace. Midtown Downtown Snakes on a blog, I suggest you grab your ankles and kiss you ask goodbye?
Speaker 2: How much cheap of film?
Speaker 4: Well movie blogging at the time too.
Speaker 1: What it was there?
Speaker 2: The thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it was.
Speaker 3: It was like at its building up to its climax at that point in a cool news, really funny. Yeah, that's that's actually the lyrics are actually better than I would have given them credit for.
Speaker 4: Well, that's taking a leap.
Speaker 1: Wait, so turns I was right. The lead singer he didn't like this song.
Speaker 2: Hey, we shas something going.
Speaker 1: Oh he was in Midtown. I like that band. I know some of their songs. Wait, so he was wait Pete Wentz. But yeah he didn't like it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, probably because it's not a good song. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And then they were working on another song, and then they're like, hey, just turn this song and bring a song called bring It, turn it. Just change some words and make it for snakes on a plane.
Speaker 2: Take care with chit Daiden references, and make it sure m hm.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he doesn't like it.
Speaker 4: That's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Agreed, wonderful, Thank you for let me talk about it though, bit well.
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's a song that exists for a movie that's literally blew up the way it did because of marketing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, clever marketing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he said we went to the screen in the movie and I was like, this is blanking horrible and then he's like, like the snake bit the dude stuff. I was like, I'm out, and then they waited for Sam Jackson to saying his line. Then he went and got drunk with Kelly Osbourne.
Speaker 4: That is so two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: The song peaked to thirty two on the American Billboard and ninety eight in the.
Speaker 4: UK, better than I would have thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these guys are like the DNC, like that Cake in the Ocean band. There's like a lot of that's like it's kind of a totally disposable band that puts out a couple of bops. I think, Yeah, but I do remember Good Girls, Good Girls Go Bad because I played in the bar I worked out a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I remember that too.
Speaker 1: And owners like I play it because like hopefully people here and they're like, yeah, I'm a party cool I remember say. I'm like, oh, it's a good point, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh that's too funny.
Speaker 2: It's too funny. I really do appreciate the cut at the end when you've got Sam Jackson and the guy Sean Nathan Phillips, he's not the.
Speaker 3: Guy, the generic guy.
Speaker 2: And you got and he's like got his shirt off and she's got like a black T shirt on, and it cuts from them like close up to being at the airport to being on surfboards wearing something very similar and it's not immediate that they've done that. And I appreciate the filmmaking that went into that match cut. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: I have to give that some credit that I totally forgot he was a surfer too, like that that was why he was where he was at and this whole thing because there was.
Speaker 2: Really no dirt bike.
Speaker 4: Is a dirt bike a dirt bike?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: You can't transport on a dirt bike a surfboard, it's no just like anything else whatever. Fine City.
Speaker 1: I like that Australia had a lot of just random white like generic kind of white guys popping out in the thousands. There was Avatar, there was all the hems, worse, there's him, there's Jackman too, Terminator, Genesis, Guy Courtney, who's great in Dangerous Animals. But I kind of love that they're just like, let's just pill for Australia, for every guy that's been in like one movie. I thought Charliehunnam was Australian for a long time, but he's British. Yeah, yeah, But I kind of liked that there just sort of scraped everything out of Australia.
Speaker 3: I literally for years referred to Jay Courtney as my poster boy for the generic white guy.
Speaker 4: But I always wanted him to do well, like I was rooting for him.
Speaker 2: I liked him.
Speaker 4: I liked him and Jack Reacher too. He was fun as a villain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you seen Dangerous Animals from Austo.
Speaker 1: He's graduated into just character acting excellent and he's excellent character act to bad guy in that film and well worth your time. I love it when those I love the when actors are pulled out of ob security and they're like, you're the next big thing. Put him in a two hundred million dollar movie, like like uh yeah, tyre Kitch like he had to go through battleship in John Carter, but now he's doing solid character work. I like when they sort of I like when they did it to Colin Farrell. They did it to a bunch of people, and I kind of like. I like when they're just like you got here's the keys baby, and then like, oh, yeah, you're not that great, and then I kind of like seeing him stick around and get work. I don't know, yes sense It's like I Courtney had failed in like Terminao Genesis and die Hard five just around and now he's doing good work. So I like it when actors are you know. I like when they stick around and they like fight through it. Then they build a good career after kind of flaming out of blockbusters. If that makes sense. Well, they don't have to.
Speaker 4: They're not like married to doing certain roles anymore.
Speaker 2: They can.
Speaker 3: They have a little bit more freedom to pick what they want to do. I mean even even Sam Worthington, I don't think he has a ton of range. I do like him, though, He's another one where I'm like, I like him, but he just became the Terminator Salvation guy and the Avatar guy. That's that's who he became, and that's how everybody identified him. I see him in these little like crime thrillers now, and like lots of thrillers that he does, and I like him in those roles. It's fun to watch them. They're not like A plus movies, but they're entertaining.
Speaker 1: It's his niche Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he works so well in the Avatar films because in that first one he's supposed to be like a blank slate. That's his whole a jar head, that's his whole role. Yeah, he worked very well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very blue movie.
Speaker 2: It is a very blue movie. So speaking, thank you for that perfect segue. However, as this is deep blue see the podcast. Every time we cover a new film, I go through and work out how deep the action takes place, that how blue everything on screen is, and how much it takes place at sea. Deeplyc of course is approximately fourteen and a half meters have already said and a half feet deep, about thirty one per cent blue in eighty nine percent of it takes place at see Heather. Do you think Snake's on a Plane is deeper blue or more at sea than deep blue sea?
Speaker 4: It absolutely is not.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is correct. Yeah, it's more than it should be, though I think it is blue depth. Yeah, seats of blue with the uniforms of blue. But depth wise, this is very much an up in the air kind of film. It's in a plane for a lot of it. It works out being four thousand, seven hundred and twenty five meters up in the air or fifteen and a half thousand feet on average, because they're flying at like thirty five thousand, which means it's higher than Godzillivers Spiolante, which finishes in space, and lower than Virus, much of which is in space. So yeah, it's It's one hundred and sixty second on our list out of one hundred and sixty seven films. Only three Sharknadoes and Sharktail and Virus are above it. Blueness, it is thirteen point three three percent blue. Bluer than the Perud Adventure, less blue than Sea Fever. So yeah, blue uniform with blue seats. A little bit of it is in the ocean. But yeah, bluer than you might expect for a for a plane film, compared to for instance, conn Air, which is so not blue. I can't even find it on my list. Wait, it's kind of going to be bluer than this. That will be embarrassing, wuldn't it? Conora is bluer than this. Conor is fourteen blue because of all the sky. Oh well, say you're bluer than the perun Adventure, less blue than Sea Fever. And two point two four percent of this film takes place at sea, which is the landing and when they're surfing, not the landing, it's just when they're surfing and when they like dip down in the water at one point. Yes, so that's slightly more at sea than Piranaconda, slightly less at sea than the Shape of Water. There are only two films less at sea than this one, apart from all the ones that are zero sentity. Yeah, Mark, did you want it? The thematic ratings, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So are they as thematically deep?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No one?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Athmatic rating is is then more to the characters deep, They're like more backstory to them.
Speaker 1: There's nothing to lose.
Speaker 2: How how happy? How sad are these characters committed? Deepsy? This is the tricky one because there's neither film is particularly sad other than Janice waving after we.
Speaker 1: Don't get one of those scenes in this movie. So yeah, I don't think it's a blue either.
Speaker 2: You get Sam Jackson's partner dies, and yeah, and there's a little moment there like with this particularly twenty Years there's a little moment there, but not a lot. And the dog lady has her dog's and she's upset about that, but not.
Speaker 3: A dog.
Speaker 4: I was fine with that dog being done.
Speaker 1: That was pretty gutsy to do that. That made me laugh. Yeah, white up. No, I don't think it's as blue because Janie, you feel the pain in that one. So I don't think it's thematically blue. And they're not lost because they're just going in one direction.
Speaker 2: And Heather of course played Jennis.
Speaker 4: In our script reading, I made it very blue.
Speaker 2: Channel of that, and see these characters are more lost than I mean the kind of where they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, they're just concerned about being in first class.
Speaker 1: And coaches.
Speaker 4: Whether one gets there faster than the other.
Speaker 2: I lost, so I had to turn right on the plane. I don't know which where I'm supposed to go.
Speaker 1: I feel like the jokes in this movie. I really like Devil War's product. Double Worst Product Too, is a lot of fun. I know it made a lot of money, But it has my least favorite moment of any film with twenty twenty six where they have to fly Coach and it's like just the seventh layer of hell for all of them, and it's not funny and it's an odd bit. So it made me appreciate the jokes about Coach in this movie more. I just want to put that out there for.
Speaker 4: Y'all, because it wasn't so blatantly classist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go. Yeah, did you see Devil Respot of too? Yeah, it's like the most it's really bad. I don't know. Everyone in the theaters kind of went. I talked to people afterwards, are like, I loved it. What about the plane scene?
Speaker 2: Nah, it's an odd like the I don't like the first one. Ye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first one was fine for me. It's not a bad movie. Liked it, just not my bag.
Speaker 1: Everyone can tell me all the in jokes, but I haven't seen the first one in twenty years, so I was like, I don't remember any of these in jokes, but I guess.
Speaker 2: I just remember the Cerulian sweater scene and how much I hate it. I really, everyone's like such a great monologue from Rostious. It's actually quite bad. I think she's like this, this twitter isn't blue, it's Cerulian. Yeah. Yeah, and she goes into detO everyone involved in the choosing of that color process and how they've influenced An Hathaway's life to like making it this blue. But it makes it's nonsense because if it was a little darker or lighter, she still would have bought it. It doesn't matter, It didn't change anything in anyway. I've I've had arguments with people about this Motherlouk in the past. It really doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: And there's actually a pretty bland Australian actor in Double R's product too, So I'm still that out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to start keeping track of these bland Australian actors. Yeah, I'm gonna start calling it out now. Hopefully they have their healthily they have their the resurrecting careers.
Speaker 4: After that, we enjoy.
Speaker 2: Looking down the cast list, like no one's jumping out as being bland in Australia. Is Kenneth Branda during an accent.
Speaker 1: As well? No, okay in that movie though, there's a scene in in a hotel room and he has this chunky scarf on and it's like what I I don't understand why in this hotel room he needs this big scarf. And then I started wondering if he has a chin and they needed it was a weird It was a weird plot.
Speaker 2: It was a weird process on the top lip.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I was like, do they need to cover up his neck? Does he have a weird neck skin? Because he's getting.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's dating a vampire.
Speaker 2: Sure, maybe he's Hugh Jackman in Movie forty three. Oh yeah, yeah movie. I will definitely see this film at some point because Rachel blooms in it and she's great.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Well the person who wrote it, they did all the The Lawyer movie where she sings and she's great, the TV show where she's crazy X yeah, yeah, they worked on that. She's great. But uh yeah, I just want to get that out there.
Speaker 2: We have drifted some way, of course, very similar to a plane would So do you have any more notes on snakes on a plane?
Speaker 1: Heather?
Speaker 2: Before we get out of here.
Speaker 4: I love this movie.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous and stupid, but it's so much fun. It's been it's I think Markston probably been like eighteen years for him. Yeah, I'm guessing somewhere in that vicinity for me too. It's been a really really long time. It was, it was fun and it went by fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I last watched it eight years ago for the Lamb Cast, where my first ever get for like August is my birthday month. I instilled a rule where the Lamb Cast host got to pick all of the movies that would nominally form movie the month in August, and this was the first time I did that. In the first the Slayers one. That was a fun talk about that with friends of the show, Jeannette and Richard and other people. That was Yeah. But I've not seen it since and I was so happy to revisit it.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I like it more now and I realized I own it. I didn't know I owned it.
Speaker 2: I was going to buy the Era Sport it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to buy the Arrow four K for like thirty some bucks. And then I was just sorting through my movie. I'm working on a few assignments right now, and I was like, I have a triple pack of Long Kiss, good Night, Deep Blue Sea, and Steaks on a Plane.
Speaker 4: Oh that's great. All three of them are fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the best.
Speaker 4: I still I and now it's even better. Thank you PlayStation. Yeah, I know, I was laughing so hard. I'm like all of the crap I've.
Speaker 3: Been reading about PlayStation and then Xbox and rock Star, I'm like, oh, this is this is timely.
Speaker 1: Wait, what's going on in PlayStation?
Speaker 3: They are going to remove all physical copies. They are no longer going to do that. They are only going to do digital copies of games from now on.
Speaker 1: They could probably just lose the licensing, right and like, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: They took a bunch of h and that's the thing. When you own a digital copy of things you don't actually you just have license.
Speaker 1: Had to change it to remember. Fandang was like buy it, and it's like by that was like by purchase the licensers takes something.
Speaker 3: It's awesome, it's super super cool.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and Xbox started talking about doing the same thing.
Speaker 3: But the backlash has been insane because you don't mess with gamers all right, Look, they learn how to fly planes and save the day, after all, don't piss us off, right, So that will do it for.
Speaker 2: The snakes on a plane. Heather Whack and the listeners find you look yeah.
Speaker 1: Plane, not on a plane.
Speaker 3: I don't look I want snakes. I don't want them on a plane. Fine is hard enough. I'm cool with everything else. Trains are all right, snakes on a train. I don't want to do a submarine.
Speaker 1: Light lake champlain? Is that a thing?
Speaker 4: We can make our own rap song? Look at us?
Speaker 2: Go all right.
Speaker 3: You can find all of my stuff on heatherbagsmail dot com. You can find my books there. You can find oh, my social media, my podcast Word of hell Mouth, which is a Buffy rewatch so that I do with my friend Mark. We are on season four of Buffy. We're about halfway through. We are also running at tandem with Angel right now, and we are in season one, episode ten.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: We took this month off so we will be back in August, and we are enjoying ourselves. It's really weird to rewatch as a grown ass adult.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: We are definitely definitely like understanding the adults and the story more.
Speaker 1: I've only watched season three a Buffy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the best season.
Speaker 2: I wasn't the whole thing in COVID like Buffy and Angel, and I love that, And I really enjoying your show as well.
Speaker 1: I was drunk in a Walmart and I bought it.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at I'm really going for to you getting done. It's a way away. But season five of Angel is some of my favorite stuff.
Speaker 4: It's so much fun.
Speaker 2: Is this a little bit rough? Four is tough with like Vincent Cartis are coming in and kind of bringing it all down a little bit. But season five is bonkers. It's where David Boryanis gets turned into a puppet. Everyone's is still human, but he's a puppet.
Speaker 1: They just stop caring. But it's so great.
Speaker 3: They kind of went nuts on the fifth season.
Speaker 4: They did it one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Know that they found out that the show is going to get canceled quite close to the end, but they did. They took a lot of liberties and they had a lot more fun and it ended up being I think it might. I don't know because it's been so long since I've watched, so it's gonna be fun once we get there, Jay, but I think it might be my favorite season.
Speaker 2: Maybe becomes like a weird possessed creature and he gets as a puppet, but he gets a puppet and then he gets like a vampire puppet fighting James Masters as a puppet. Anyway, It's maybe my favorite episode of TV. It's so great, credible, great, Okay at mark any.
Speaker 1: Plugs some really cool stuff coming out. I updated my Dwayne Johnson destruction article for Rotten Tomatoes. They got me doing a Matt Damon thing, so that could be up there. And I think I have the funniest data article ever in the works, but I don't want to tell people about it. I'll tell you when we get off. But it's very funny. And I have one where Paul Daniel gets beat up, so that should be coming out on good movies. I figured I watched all upon Paul Dano's movies, pulled all the time stamps of how he gets beat up and salted killed. I figured out what what Paul dano beatdowns were the best, and if if it's better for him to have like more damage less damage.
Speaker 2: It's nice at my life as this film dot com. You can follow this show all over social media at Deep Blue Sea Pod email us deep Busy pot at gmail dot com. Next week, I've said already, snakes on a train next week. It feels like a good companion piece of snakes on a plane, So come back next week to hear me and Aaron talking about that one, and at some point this year next year, I don't know, we'll cover Silent Venom because we kind of have to at this point. It just popping in too. You know. There's a slight change in schedule. Everything's gone a little bit away from us recently. So I just said Snakes when a Train is next, it's not. There's a couple of new releases coming out soon or already out. So next week on the show will be The Devil's Mouth, the new Amazon Prime Shark movie with Catherine Newton, directed by Jeff Wadler, and the week after that will be Chum with Alice Eve, and then it'll be Snakes on a Train. That's right, it's not. There's no Deeply two chapter coming just yet. We're gonna wait a little bit. We've done a bunch of recordings on other films coming up soon, and the DeepC two scheduling is getting a little hectic, so we're just going to take a little bit of a break. We're going to have a summer of Reptiles, going to continue the Reptiles, So we've got Snakes on a Train coming up. We've got s or or Snake with Richard Kirkham coming up Anaconda twenty twenty four. There's a little film called Hungary coming out about some hippos.
Speaker 3: And then Crawl.
Speaker 2: We're finally getting to Crawl. So those are the episodes coming out soon. It might be smiling new releases popping up. They just seem to just appear at the moment and then they do. We'll fit them in, but you can expect us to get back to deep Wessy to scene by scene in October. So until then, I hope you enjoy listening to Mark and I talk about a bunch of other films with reptiles and stuff and sharkson so four Snakes on a plane. Thank you once again to our wonderful guest Heather Bags and Delbalsh.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I missed you always.
Speaker 2: Grace you too. I have been Jake LeWitt and I'm Mark Hofmar.
Speaker 1: We'll deep bluecy you next week, Sayonara
Speaker 2: M H.