Speaker 1: Hudsonriverradio dot com. Do we have to listen to you?
Speaker 2: Well, no you don't, but if you have any interest in history done.
Speaker 1: This is John Fulbright.
Speaker 3: Hi, this is Jar Williams.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 5: This is Mitch Margle of the Tokens.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 2: This is Gary us Bonds mad here on the Rock and Roll History Show. Hello, everybody, Welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. It's not exactly news that it's been ridiculously hot outside, and so it's only seemed natural that we decided to do a bunch of songs about being hot in hot weather and just general stickiness.
Speaker 7: And all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we'll get into more of that in a moment. First, allow me to introduce all the cranbones who are joining us here tonight. First and foremost, from the Richter Observatory, he read that humans eat more bananas than monkeys because humans rarely eat monkeys. Richt is here.
Speaker 8: I'll speak speak for yourself, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I said rarely a little a little.
Speaker 8: Robes with monkeys. You know, how are you doing? Everybody?
Speaker 2: Sound like we have a new topic. Yeah, and from paranormally yours She burned two thousand calories today. She left the brownies in the oven too long. Gail Lupam is here.
Speaker 3: That's about the only way to do that.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 2: From the silver screen. She saw a guy with a giraffe walk into a bar. The giraffe drank so much that it just passed out on the floor, totally unconscious. The guy gets up to leave, and the bartender says, hey, you can't leave that lion here. And the guy says, it's not a lion, it's a giraffe, you idiot. Mercedes can't get here.
Speaker 9: Hey, I just want to know, did anybody pick a song about people being hot.
Speaker 7: Hot?
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't even think. I didn't, sort of sort of telling me at the end.
Speaker 10: Didn't even come to mind.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, that's true, It really didn't. I think mine might fit the bill. You tell me when we get.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, we'll check it out.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds good. And our officially retired teacher he heard that horses can't join the army only the naybe. John Kelly is here.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Brian, I was good and no really locome.
Speaker 2: So thanks.
Speaker 1: In the dad joke.
Speaker 2: Realm, Yeah, it was good, fair enough, and last, but not least, the host of shaving Cream, She learned that Forrest Gump's favorite pasta is pennay. Oh man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 11: All right, everybody unlike me, stay cool. And I mean that like literally and figuratively.
Speaker 2: I wish I think in Boston it's a which wicked scorcher.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think I do the accent very well, but you get the idea. Yeah, it's been disgusting just watching the electric meter turn and turn and turn and turn and turn. And yeah, so let's have some fun with hot music. At least maybe you'll cool us off for a little bit. We'll jump right in and Gail, won't you lead us off tonight?
Speaker 3: Okay? Jokay. Well, last week, after after last week's show, when we were discussing what topic to choose, this particular song came right into my mind. And it's very very, very very nostalgic for me. It's called Hot Fun in the Summertime by sly on the Family's Stone. And I remember when this came out. And it's interesting because this came out in nineteen sixty nine. I was nine at the time, but I remember no because I have I have a sister who's seven and a half years older than me, so I was listening to the music that she was listening to, And so anytime I hear this song, it's just kind of brings back, like mellow memories from back.
Speaker 2: Then before air conditioning it was much more common.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely absolutely. My parents had one in the master bedroom and that was it. And of course, you know the house we lived and didn't have central air, it was built before I was born, so but we survived. But when I was a kid.
Speaker 11: I don't remember being hot and miserable, feeling hot.
Speaker 8: Like now.
Speaker 2: The worst was trying to sleep when it was hot and miserable. Yeah, like during the day, especially as a kid, you're up and playing and you're not really thinking about it, you know, but sleep when it's one hundred degrees in your bedroom.
Speaker 3: And we had this cat when I was little, and she was crazy. She was an absolute harodin, but I adored her. And you know how in the summer, you don't sleep with a comforter or something unless you have air conditioning in your room. So at that time, we would sleep with just a sheet on top of us. Well, all you had to do was move your feet under that sheet with the cat in the room, and you would wake up with no toes because she loved to attack feats. And she was quite young back then. She was only born in sixty four, sixty five, so she was still pretty pretty young.
Speaker 2: So she's what sixty two now.
Speaker 3: She actually lived to eighteen.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And it was awful because when she became ill and had to be helped to cross over to the other side, I was devastated because she was she was only four years younger than me, and it was absolutely devastating. But I have so many memories of her because she was just so so crazy and fun and obnoxious. But anyway, back to the song. The song as I Said came out in nineteen sixty nine and it was recorded by Sly and the Family Stone. It was released just prior to the band's higher file performance at Woodstock, which greatly expanded their fan base. The song peaked at number two on the US Billboard Hot one hundred Singles chart, only kept out of the number one spot by I Can't Get Next to You by the Temptations, which is another awesome, awesome song, but has nothing to do with summertime.
Speaker 9: H unless you're talking about the peat and everybody's sweaty and you get next to sweaty people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: True.
Speaker 3: Hot Fun in the Summertime also peaked at number three on the US Billboards Soul Singles Chart in autumn of nineteen sixty nine. It is ranked as the seventh biggest US hit of nineteen sixty nine and the sixty fifth in Canada. I guess it didn't go over quite as well in Canada. Rolling Stone ranked the song numbers.
Speaker 9: Because it's cooler there, yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: Rolling Stone ranked the song two hundred and forty seven on their list of the five hundred Greatest Songs of all Time, and it's also been named in lists by Yahoo Music and ask Men as an all time summer anthem, which is why it just totally popped into my head when we decided on this topic. Thematically, it's a dedication to the fun and games to be had during the summer. It was intended to be included on an in progress album at the time, with Everybody as a Star and Thank You for letting Me be Myself Again. That LP was never completed, and the three tracks were instead included on the band's nineteen seventy Greatest hits LP. This song is known for its rare use of strings in a sly and the family Stone song featuring violins being played in the rest. Let's have a listen, and then I'll tell you a few things about the band and the spring and.
Speaker 12: She him some day some day.
Speaker 7: That's when I have the vines.
Speaker 1: Well some day.
Speaker 6: Some day, Well.
Speaker 13: Country bear in the country, sir, everything.
Speaker 12: That she goes bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 14: Fun s.
Speaker 12: How did everybody is cool?
Speaker 3: Is that just the most mellow, wonderful, takes you back, comforting kind of song? That was golden?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 3: It is actually before I tell you about Sling the Family Stone. Believe it or not. The Beach Boys covered that in nineteen ninety two on their album called Summer in Paradise. I the Beach Boys is a completely different sound. So I'm not even gonna look that up and listen to it, because I'm perfectly happy with the original. Supposedly, it was performed on stage in HBO's nineteen eighty one television special The Peewee Harman Show. The song was also covered by a group called The Party, which was originally supposed to be on their nineteen ninety two album Free but was then released on their nineteen ninety three album The Party's Over, Thanks for Coming. It was covered in nineteen eighty two with somewhat greater chart success by a funk outfit known as Dayton which I've never heard of, and again covered in nineteen ninety five by the Manhattan trans For featuring vocals by Shaka Kahn. Genesis vocalist and drummer Phil Collins cited the song as one of the musical inspirations for his song Misunderstanding, and the members of Toto have also cited it as an inspiration for hold the line.
Speaker 8: I can hear that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, definitely both, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: The personnel in the song were Sly Stone on vocals and piano, Freddie Stone, his brother on vocals and guitar, Larry Graham on vocals and bass guitar, Rose Stone, their sister on vocals, Cynthia Robinson on trumpet, Jerry Martini on saxophone, and Greg Erico on drums. Interesting fun fact was that Freddie and Sly were both guitarists, so they decided that Freddie would be the one to play the guitar in the band, and Sly learned keyboards, so that's that's inventive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They were one of the first, if not the first. They had a female trumpeter.
Speaker 3: Yes, run yeah, and they kind of invented psychedelic soul from what I understand, and there were a big influence on following American popular music. They had a series of top ten Billboard Hot one hundred hits such as Dance to the Music in nineteen sixty eight, Everyday People nineteen sixty eight, This One in ninet eighteen sixty nine, Thank You for Letting Me Be Mice Elf Again in nineteen sixty nine, and critically acclaimed albums such as Stand in nineteen sixty nine, which combined pop sensibility with social commentary, which, as we may remember back then, was in style now. In the nineteen seventies, their sound transitioned into a darker and less commercial funk sound on releases such as There's a Riot going On which I don't think I've ever heard and Fresh in nineteen seventy three. Unfortunately, by nineteen seventy five, drug problems and interpersonal clashes, probably caused by the drug problems, led to dissolution of the band, although Sly continued to record and tour with a new rotating lineup under the name Sly and the Family Stone until his own drug problems forced his effective retirement in nineteen eighty seven. Now he only passed away in twenty twenty five, and considering the issues that he had, I'm kind of amazed that he lived that long.
Speaker 8: If I'm not mistaken, I might be. But didn't he like end up living like in a van or something like that, or you know, like he was somehow he was destitute. He lost all his money, and.
Speaker 3: That's, yeah, unfortunately.
Speaker 8: Because he was he was also a producer before sliming Family Stone, he was, so he was in the business a long time and I would imagine probably did all right financially, So to lose all that, well, you know what, don't take drugs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unfortunately, that's what happens sometimes.
Speaker 8: And I don't take that many drugs, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He died on June ninth, twenty twenty five, at the age of eighty two, from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease COPD and other underlying health conditions, of which I imagine he had several.
Speaker 8: But I think you're right, living eighty two with all that, that's pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But then look at Keith Richards.
Speaker 9: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 8: Well that's that's the problem, you know. You get people say, oh, look I can do all this. Look at Keith Richards. He No, he's like one in a billion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, that's why we keep bringing him up when we talk about things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he's the exception.
Speaker 9: Fly in the family Zone in nineteen seventy two Madison Square Guard Wow, Yeah, wow, third contract ever. I was young. They were great, they were amazing.
Speaker 11: Well back some years ago when I saw Elton John at Bethel Woods, he made an announcement that some of his backup singers were from the Family Stone. I don't know what lineup he was talking about, and it was so long ago. I don't remember which, you know, what their names or whatever he said that, but I remember being really impressed and surprised.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Definitely, very cool.
Speaker 3: All Right, That's all that's all I got. But I love, love, love the song, and I hope our listeners do too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That hits the topic right on the head. Definitely, I can argue that.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: Thanks gle uh Neil, We're up to you.
Speaker 8: All right. My fun in the Summertime Sun song for today is called on the Beach by the band The Rattlers. Now, the Rattlers weren't American rock band formed in New York City in nineteen seven seventy nine. The band was led by vocalist guitarist Mickey Lee, who was born Mitchell Lee Hyman in nineteen fifty four. He also happens to be the younger brother of Jeffrey Hyman, who you'd probably know by his stage name. A little more, uh, he went by the name Joey Ramone, the vocalist for The Ramones. Obviously, so yes, Mickey is Joey's brother. Now the family connection goes a little further. But let me start off by saying, no, the Ramones were not all related. They adopted that surname. They were not related. They were not family. Okay, But when Mickey was fourteen he played in a band with future Ramones Johnny and Tommy, and early on in the Ramones career, Mickey served as the band's roadie and tech guy. So he was there, he was in on it. Now, The Rattlers had a similar vocal style to the Ramones, of course, with Joey and Mickey being brothers and all, but the Rattlers had more of a power pop style to their sound as opposed to straight up punk. Now The Ratler's independently released nineteen seventy nine debut single of on the Beach actually featured Joey helping out on some vocals, and the song was then re recorded for their only full length album called Rattled in nineteen eighty five. And that's the version we're going to hear in just a moment. Now. On the Beach is basically a love song with a decidedly sci fi vibe to it. It's about a radioactive sea monster that comes ashore and steals the singer's girlfriend, leaving him to wonder if he will ever see her again. So pass the tanning butter and let's give it a sure.
Speaker 7: And be chilled by the sea.
Speaker 1: That's when she said she went on Sleep Deep. From wil Deep, she took Goods back to live it.
Speaker 15: Sleeps house chair, about saving school and just.
Speaker 1: Kinda find that one of girls something to go away.
Speaker 16: From me on the big chap by to see she was waiting.
Speaker 17: Steve came out the doxy fected by some radio activity.
Speaker 15: A great mind baby with the great big smile that overhead in the direction of.
Speaker 18: The three miles.
Speaker 1: Now I sare about saving school. I just gotta find that one.
Speaker 14: This girl something to go away.
Speaker 16: From men, betail buy to.
Speaker 14: Say, yeah, she will wait something like this to real exist. Just can't believe that is true.
Speaker 15: One thing I know, I'm letting her go. Don't people say I might have me chill about the Saints. I swear she said she waits.
Speaker 19: Something came from way yeuse team speak to those facts.
Speaker 15: The wage sleeves share about savings.
Speaker 1: This kind of bind them. One stood something now wait by me?
Speaker 16: How the Betama scene see whats wait ba.
Speaker 7: See waita wait please wait love book.
Speaker 3: That was awesome.
Speaker 12: I was good.
Speaker 8: I love that song. Yeah now. Although it did get good critical reception, with music journalist Robert Christgau calling it one of the top fifty albums of nineteen eighty five, but otherwise the album Rattled was pretty much widely ignored. But the band did play around New York City and did tour with bands like the B fifty two's The Clash, Jon Jet and the Blackhearts and many other legendary bands of the time before they called it quits in nineteen eighty eight. Now Ever, since Joey's I'm Sorry. Mickey's brother Joey passed away in two thousand and one. Mickey has held an annual concert in New York City to honor his birthday, which is aptly called the Joey Ramon Birthday Bash. And the event features numerous artisan bands, and I've attended many of them, not all of them, but many of them. And in twenty eleven it actually included a set by a reunited Rattlers, so that was pretty cool. And in recent years Mickey's included his current musical project called Mickey Lee's Mutated Music.
Speaker 3: I Like that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: In two thousand and nine, Mickey published a book called I Slept with Joey Ramone, A family memoir. Yes, pretty clever. It's a good book. I recommend it because in twenty twenty one, there were plans announced from Netflix to make a movie based on the book, with Pete Davidson scheduled to play Joey Ramone. But just recently, after a long legal battle, a settlement was reached regarding the control of the Ramones estate between Mickey and Johnny Ramone's widow, Linda. They both had a fifty to fifty share and they've been going back and forth for a while, but the decision basically she bought him out and got total control of the estate. So unfortunately that leaves the future of the film kind of in doubt. But yeah, you know what they say, life's a beach. Now go to a concert.
Speaker 2: Excellent, All right, thanks Neil. We are going to take a real quick break. Go cool off, top off the drink. Come right back. We have a lot more lined up. Hudson River Radio. Your dog likes us.
Speaker 3: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 9: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side to This is Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: Ah right, all right, welcome back. It's still hot, but we're doing it. We're getting the job done in all this heat, because that's how much we care about what we do here on the Rock and Roll History Show. So Mercedes shows how it's done.
Speaker 9: Alrighty, then, I don't know why I've been taking these big swings lately. Last week I did Prince lots of research and writing, And this week is Jannis Chaplin. Unless you were born under a boulder, I am betting that you've heard of her. We all know that she played at Woodstock with big brother in the holding company. We all know that she had a substance abuse issue and died of hair and overdose, and that she had a dynamic stage presence and a powerhouse of a voice. You probably know her songs like Me and Bobby McGhee, her only number one hit, Piece of My Heart, Cry Baby Down on Me, Ball and Chain, and Summertime, as well as her original song Mercedes Benz, which was her final recording. Once you dig in, this so much about her and her life like so much, so let's start with the basics. She was born Janie Lynn Joplin in nineteen forty three in Texas. When she hit her teens, it was obvious to her parents that she needed more attention than her siblings, and she started spending time with a group of outcasts. In high school, she was terror bullied and ostracized, voted the ugliest man on campus. Oh yeah, and she became overweight and struggled with severe acne. But through her new friends group, she learned of blues artists Bessie Smith, Marainey and Led Belly, and later credited them with her influencing her with influencing her decision to become a singer. Her first song, What Good Can Drink and Do, was recorded in December nineteen sixty two at the home of a fellow student. But Texas was not working for her, so she hitchhiked to San Francisco with a friend. There, she met a guitarist who later became the guitarist for Jefferson Airplane and recorded a bunch of blues standards with his wife in the background using a typewriter, and these were later called the Typewriter Tapes, which were released posthumously. Soon after, her friend were noticing her physical decline from drugs and alcohol. They threw a bus fair party to return her to her parents' home in Texas. She weighed eighty eight pounds. In Port Arthur, she changed her lifestyle, got clean, and enrolled as an anthropology major at lamar University. She got engaged, but while she and her mother were planning the wedding, he called off the engagement another slap in the face. So back in San Francisco, Big Brother and the Holding Company Band reached out to her and she returned to California, and in nineteen sixty eight they released the album Cheap Thrills with piece of my heartball chain in summertime after playing the Monterey Pop Festival. Summertime obviously if you haven't picked that up by now is my summer heat song. So let's hear it.
Speaker 5: M summer term turned turn.
Speaker 20: Chap, living disease, fi.
Speaker 5: Shure jumping, none Hay, the coming on con hime unders and your mother so good looking, baby, she's looking good night. Hush babe a babe, a babe, a babe a baby. No no no no, don't you cry, don't cry? What this morning?
Speaker 21: And you're gonna rise.
Speaker 7: Rise?
Speaker 5: I'm seeing you got spraying always.
Speaker 20: Charity, take for the sun?
Speaker 7: Who this gun?
Speaker 21: Until harmon?
Speaker 5: No thanks going to harm me?
Speaker 21: No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.
Speaker 10: Damn very emailo. You know what I could do a vibe of just sitting in an old kind of like nightclub late at night after quieted down. It's hot, it's steamy, there ain't no air conditioning, and you're just sweating there with a drink in hand. You know, it just has that whole vibe.
Speaker 9: Oh John, will you take me there? Because I'd like to go there right now. I'm down sure, I'm.
Speaker 2: Good with all that except the hot and sweaty part.
Speaker 5: I like the hot and.
Speaker 9: Sweaty, so I have no problem with that.
Speaker 8: Well, you know you mentioned them. You know that she played at Woodstock in at Monterey. But it was small places like that that a lot of these groups got started. And that's where they really sounded like that, you know. So it wasn't all like the huge festivals, right, It was little places like that that they played like that. I think there was a place I've never been there. I didn't grow up in California or San Francisco, but like clubs like I think the Matrix, and there was another one, and they weren't that big, you know, a lot came out of them. But you think that, oh there was some you know, these these big auspicious places. No, they weren't same thing here with New York. There were places like that too, But I digress.
Speaker 9: I would love to see here in a small place like that. I think that would be my one, not my only, but my one of my regrets of not being able to see people live as her. So a little bit about the song itself. It was written by and this is kind of questionable. I don't know. There's a couple of different places that I read a couple of different things. It was written by Ira Gershwin, George and George Gershwin, Dubos, Heywood, and Dorothy Haywood, which some said just George Gershwin and wrote the music, and that Dubos wrote the lyrics. So I'm not really clear on that. But it was written for the folk opera Porgy and Bess in nineteen thirty five, and if anybody has not seen that movie.
Speaker 8: It's.
Speaker 17: So good it is.
Speaker 9: It is one of the most covered songs in history, covered by Billie Holliday, Nina Simon, Sam Cook, Mahela Jackson, Miles Davis, Ricky Nelson, John Coltrane, and Julie London, Franks Nata, and chanis Chaplin. Of course, according to song Facts, George Gershwin was visiting a friend who said this one night. I came in after dinner about eleven o'clock, and as I walked up the stairs to my apartment, I heard the piano. I tiptoed in. George turned and saw me and said, sit down. I think I have the lullaby. I knew who he had been working hard to get the lullaby, and that he had done several versions that didn't suit him, and so he sang in this high wailing voice summertime, and it was exquisite. We looked at each other and the tears were just coursing down my cheeks, and I just knew that this was going to be beloved by the entire world. Another thing, and you Beatles fans follow along with me here, because I don't know my Beatles history as much as maybe I should. But also according to song facts and maybe some of you know, this was the first song the Beatles played with Ringo Star in nineteen sixty. They recorded at the Acoustic and That's a k us Tik recording studio in Germany. The place was an absolute shambles at the back of a railway station. The main vocalist was Wally Iamond aka Lou Wally Walters, who was guitarist for Rory Storm. I don't know any of these people and the Hurricane sorry, well yeah, oh okay, Beatles drummer Pete Best wasn't there, so i'mond bandmate Ringo Star played. This was only a day or so after Sue Sutcliffe, the Beatles original bass player, was brutally beaten, so he wasn't involved, although it's possible he was in attendance. Johnny Guitar and Ty Bryan were all so at the recording as observers, only nine copies of the record were pressed. Summertime was the A side, with Fever on the B side, It's Old News to Me. Janis Joplin performed the song at Woodstock in nineteen sixty nine. It was also the last song she sang in concert, as it was the last song in her set at her last show in nineteen seventy at Harvard Stadium in Boston. As to her death, which I was wasn't really going to talk about, but I guess everybody you know, it's no surprise. As to her death in nineteen seventy, which incidentally made her part of the twenty seven Club, she had been staying at the Landmark Motor Hotel near Sunset Sound Recorders in Hollywood, where she'd been recording her upcoming album Pearl. She learned of a heron dealer who would delivered the hotel rest. Obviously, as history, it was ruled accidental and there is a belief, pretty documented belief that the heroine she had obtained was part of a batch that was particularly potent and stronger than anything that she was used to. Several other customers of the dealer died of overdoses during the same weekend. She was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in nineteen ninety five, and was the first solo female artist to achieve that. Among the artifacts at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum exhibition are John Choplin's Excuse Me scarf and necklaces, her psychedelically painted nineteen sixty five Porsche three point fifty six cabriolet, and a sheet of LSD bladder paper designed by Robert Crumb, who designed the Cheap Thrills cover that I would like to see. I think there's no doubt that she was one of a kind with an incredible talent and a force to be reckoned with. I'm very sad that, you know, she didn't have more time to do what she did best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows where she would have gone. Yeah, I could see her getting into movies and acting and kind of thing, you know, I can see that. Yeah, it's too bad.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 9: The the movie Rose was based on her life rough roughly with Bette Midler, and it's I just remember the high school scene when the football team took her around the back of the bleachers, and it's just oh, yeah, that that broke me.
Speaker 2: It really did.
Speaker 9: So she I think she was tough. I think she she was strong. I think she had a really rough life. And you know, you do what you got to do, I guess to keep on going.
Speaker 8: Well, you talked about the heroine, but you left out the Southern comfort, which was like her, that was her trademark.
Speaker 9: That was I did mention alcohol, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh yeah, I just meant in particular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, didn't they give her? I know, they gave her like a coat. I think so the comer gave her a bunch of gifts for you know, all the promotion.
Speaker 8: Yeah they did, they did.
Speaker 2: I just don't remember what it was that they gave her. But yeah, like, thank you Janice who gave Southern Comfort. Gave Janice a bunch of because she put Southern Comfort out front.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, that's where I first heard about it, you know, yeah, Southern comfort that is not.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, good, thank you, Mercedes, And we're going to turn it over to Barbara.
Speaker 11: All Right, that's a tough fact to follow, Okay. So my song choice for this topic is Cruel Summer by Bananaama.
Speaker 14: So good.
Speaker 11: Yeah, It's just when we were given this topic, it was like, yeah that one yeh. Bananarama is a girl group that formed in London in nineteen eighty. Band members Sarah Dollan and Karen Woodward were college students living in the local YMCA, but it was about to shut down for good, so they needed another cheap place to live that a student could afford, and so by chance, they ran into sex Pistols Paul Cook at the club Studio twenty one, and he offered them a room above the Sex Pistols old rehearsal space Boy and now picture this. They arrived to find Johnny Rotten's drawings of Sid and Nancy covering the walls. So soon after, Dollan and Woodward met Chevan Faihie at school and hit it off, and the three began to write songs together and when their art school friends' bands were playing, they would jump on stage and join them, and they recorded a demo of the band Black Blood. Now they're like a Swahili band, so forgive my pronunciation of the following. So the band Black Blood had recorded this song called a ai eu Juana and the song was sung in Swahili and so Banana Rama were able to do that phonetically.
Speaker 19: Wow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 11: They decided that they needed a name for their band and they wanted it to involve bananas because it sounded tropical, and Dallan, being a big fan of Roxy music, perused their song titles and found a song called Pajamarama Love it. They proceeded to spend the next five years writing and demoing songs, and they achieved an international success with their song Cruel Summer, and it made number eight on the UK Singles Chart and number nine on the US Billboard Hot one hundred.
Speaker 3: So I've got some more info for you.
Speaker 8: But first, why don't we cool off for.
Speaker 20: A bit and listen to Cool Summer.
Speaker 7: Misty man.
Speaker 20: Trying to smile, but the air.
Speaker 22: Is so petty, drying, strange choices society. The second side understand it's too us to come with the sea's bride.
Speaker 2: And it's.
Speaker 14: Sucking.
Speaker 7: It's it's a sun that you know, the.
Speaker 18: City sma, my friends away.
Speaker 5: And oh man, it's too heads.
Speaker 21: So it's a.
Speaker 7: It's a it's a great son, it's some son, It's it's a song.
Speaker 18: That young, crullesome. It's true crude son that.
Speaker 7: You don excres son.
Speaker 11: So the Cool Summer was released as a single in nineteen eighty three and included on Bananarama's self titled second album a year later. It was featured in the film Karate Kid in nineteen eighty eight. The inspiration for the song was the oppressive heat of that summer, partnered with the feeling of not being able to be with someone. As the summer went by, the band members could not go on their annual vacation due to all the promotion required to keep up their success, so it was like all work and no play that summer. The video for the song was shot in the Dumbo section of New York City, where the heat exceeded one hundred degrees daily during filming. Besides being covered by various other artists, Bananarama recorded four other versions of Cruel Summer, the first being Cruel Summer eighty nine, followed by a Latin theme version in two thousand and one, an updated version in two thousand and nine followed by a fortieth and very version called Cool Summer three AM. In twenty twenty three, band member Chavon Fayhee was replaced by Jackie O'Sullivan. In nineteen eighty eight, Bananarama had two band aid appearances and an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records as the most successful female band worldwide with the most charting singles.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 11: To date, they have had thirty top hits and have released twelve albums and thirty million records and change previous ideas of what a girl band should be.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 11: Anybody have anything they wanted?
Speaker 2: Had no idea that they had looked out?
Speaker 8: Yeah, wow, that was like off.
Speaker 11: That was right off of the Bananaama website.
Speaker 20: So all, I hope it's right.
Speaker 10: I learned a lot about an iconic song.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I had no idea. I didn't know they were that prolific, honestly.
Speaker 10: Yeah, very cool, very cool. Like said, I learned a lot about a iconic song. It's one of the joys of this show is a lot of times like this one was an example. We feature a lot of really cool music that everybody knows, but you don't really know the backstory.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, it's it's pretty funny because when I was in college, a bunch of people they would I don't know if my school was the only place that it was popular, but for some reason, air bands were popular where they would play air instruments. And this air band that I followed was called it was called band that you follow. It was somewhere my friend, my friends from my dorm and my school were in it, so we followed them. And the band's name was nup Rio, which is air punk spell backwards. And they actually had some girls that really didn't play with them so much or whatever up here with but they would do like girl bands stuff like you know, Banana Rata and you know other girl bands of the time, and they would come up with little dance routines and stuff like that, and you know, play air guitar and air drums and.
Speaker 5: All that stuff.
Speaker 8: I want to I want to be I want to be a roadie. I want to be a roadie for air band and you handle it the easiest job in the world. I'll carry that for you. Thanks.
Speaker 9: Yeah, do you know the randomly day before yesterday, I don't know where this came from. I was thinking about whatever happened to air guitar.
Speaker 1: See that?
Speaker 12: See that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, Okay your truer psycho, I mean psychic.
Speaker 11: Yeah, both geminis. Yeah, it's it's that twin thing.
Speaker 9: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take that as a hint that we need a break, So let's do that. And we have two more to go, so stick around. We'll be right back. Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 5: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: And welcome back. We're in our final stretch of hot sticky weather related songs and John your turn.
Speaker 10: Okay, everybody speaking of summertime. I picked the Summertime Blues. It was originally recorded by Eddie Cochran in nineteen fifty eight. It's a timeless rock and roll anthem with a theme revolving around teenage frustration with adult authority, who hasn't had that before, the burden of summer employment, and the classic generational gap experience during adolescence. All classic themes we've all experienced.
Speaker 8: And anybody else in the DNA of rock and roll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you have out there.
Speaker 10: If you're listening and you have teenagers, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 9: You have young children, just know that it's coming, It's.
Speaker 1: On its way, It's on its way.
Speaker 10: The lyrics famously highlight the relatable tension of wanting to enjoy youth but being constrained by adult responsibilities. The narrator finds himself stuck in a loop, and he works for a demanding job to earn money, only to be denied time off by his boss and restricted by his parents from using the family car on dates. Does any of this sound familiar? It creates a vivid picture of a teenager caught in a system, culminating culminating in the iconic realization he's too young to vote, but too old to work. So that is the summertime Blues Now was originally recorded by Eddie Cochran in nineteen fifty Night fifty nine, nineteen fifty eight. But tonight are we are going to be talking about the Brian Setzer version. There's been a lot of ver yeah, now the Brian Now. This song has been featured by a lot of artists. And one of the things I found in my research I didn't and I guess I gotta listen to it again is Alan Jackson. Country Music Fame did a version of the song which kind of blew me away. But who has done a song?
Speaker 6: I love that version, Yes, deconitely.
Speaker 10: Now we're gonna do Brian Setzer. The original was fifty eight. This one was in nineteen eighty seven. It was recorded in nineteen eighty seven, and I'm gonna leave it at that because we're going to talk a little bit about that when we come back to the flip side. So Brian, let's hear the song.
Speaker 1: We're rocking now.
Speaker 5: I'm at working on.
Speaker 3: Very time.
Speaker 13: I go, baby, try to get things nor die Son, you gotta work with ladies.
Speaker 15: Sometimes wonder what I'm a gonna do, But there ain't non cure more the suppertime.
Speaker 6: Whoever Mama Baba told me, Son, you kind of next to money lady.
Speaker 1: If you won't you use a car or.
Speaker 6: Go ride next Sunday where I working bull.
Speaker 14: The US, I'll say, no, you used to call.
Speaker 5: Of course you didn't work with it.
Speaker 14: Sometimes I long.
Speaker 5: Oh what I'm a gun do? But there ain't non cure more the suppertime.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna take two weeks.
Speaker 23: I'm gonna have a Bundy case.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna take my Robbins in the United.
Speaker 15: Stations where I called my congrehisman, he said, but you're.
Speaker 6: Too young to Sometimes I wonder nothing, but now I'm a dona cud. But there ain't anna cure for summertime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said, there, okay, Summertime Blue.
Speaker 10: Brian sets her originally recorded by Eddie Cockran. Now what do I want to say about nineteen eighty seven? But what came out in nineteen eighty seven LaBamba? All right, and that is where Brian Setzer did a cameo where he played the late great Eddie Cochran in the film itself. Now a little sad note here on Eddie Cochran. He actually only lived twenty one years.
Speaker 14: Of age out.
Speaker 10: Yes, he died in a car accident in England. I believe he was on his way home from a set or.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 8: But gene Vincent was in the car with him. Oh okay, he survived.
Speaker 10: But yeah, yeah, it's one of those sad things. But his music lives on, recorded by so many artists but La Bamba and Brian Setzer. So I hope you all enjoyed that little taste of summertime, the classic teenage angst frustration, rebellion, but loving the summertime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. That is a good one.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: It's funny you mentioned Alan Jackson doing a cover because guess who I'm talking about?
Speaker 4: Gee, who could that be? Brian?
Speaker 2: Total coincidence. Did not know you were going to say that. But it is part of my ongoing quest to see if I can push Neil over the edge.
Speaker 19: With a song.
Speaker 8: Challenge challenge, accept it.
Speaker 2: I try to throw a curveball and he knocks him out of the park, Like I picked something from the eighties that I know he's not a huge fan of, and he's like, no, I love this song, this is great, and I'm.
Speaker 8: Like during Banana Rama, I was like, you know, I know my reputation of loathing the eighties, but I had that record. I like Banana Rama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there you go. Exactly.
Speaker 9: That's the probably never ceased to surprise.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly. I have a feeling this may push some of the other crambones over the edge as well.
Speaker 3: But yes, because you all know how much I adore country music.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, Well, I actually really enjoy country music, so I like a lot of it. I do a lot of it. I really do not So it's not either way. Some of the twiny stuff, some of the old twangy stuff, but a lot of the new stuff is so overproduced. Like everything else, it's all the same, full of bush.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I don't know. I don't know really anything about this guy. So this will be, you know, like a blind test, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's see.
Speaker 8: How it go.
Speaker 3: Like he used to sing something about how he loved his truck.
Speaker 6: Running.
Speaker 3: It's like a running theme. They all did that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's Alan Jackson is a he's a a well liked country artist.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's been around a long time too. Time time flies, because like for me, it was new and then I that was the nineties and that was not five years ago anymore.
Speaker 8: So I've heard the name, but I don't I know other than that nothing, all right.
Speaker 6: So let's hop in.
Speaker 2: Let's see how it goes, and you tell me what you think when we're done. Sound good, Yeah, let's do it, all right. So Alan Jackson is actually one of the best selling artists of all time, not just country, I mean artists across the board of all time. He has sold over seventy five million records worldwide. He had sixty six songs make it onto the Billboard Hot Country songs chart thirty five of those hit number one, thirty five number one songs. He's a member of the Grand Ole Opry, which is an invitation only they surprise you kind of thing, which is huge. He's in the Country Music Hall of Fame, which is big. It's in the Georgia Music Hall of Fame, and lots more. We could talk awards all night, but you get the idea. So Jackson was born in nineteen fifty eight in Georgia. He grew up listening to gospel and then got hooked on classic country like Hank Williams Junior, the twangy stuff. He played and sang while attending Noon In High school in Noon and Georgia, and after graduation he worked as a forklift operator and construction worker while still playing clubs around the Georgia area. He got married to his wife, Denise at twenty one. They are still married and six years after they got married, they moved to Nashville so he could try to start a full time music career. He got a job at the Nashville Network if you remember that channel back when that existed on basic cable TNN. So yeah, it was like in New York. You would just skip it because it was TNN, but they had some pretty good stuff on it. He got a job in the mail room, which how stereotypical can you be? So he started in the mailroom and because of that, he was able to go sit in the audience during the taping of a show called You Can Be a Star, which was an American Idol style show with celebrity judges and all that. American Idol is not a new idea, even though some people may think it is. It's been around a long time. So he got to sit in the audience, watch tapings, watch some up and comers, and then one night he got the opportunity to sing on an episode, and he did the song he Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones, a very well known song. He would become good friends with George Jones and sang the same song at George Jones's funeral. We talked about no show Jones a long time ago, if you remember it. Took his lawnmower to the liquor store because his wife wouldn't drive him there, so he wrote his tractor both directions. Yeah, so always a good story. So yeah, the two of them became really good friends. But the appearance on this show gave him a good jump start, as did a chance encounter that his wife had while working as a flight attendant. Glenn Campbell was on one of her flights and talk about a captive audience when you're stuck in a big metal tube thirty six thousand feet in the air and I want to pick your brain. Where are you gonna go? So she had a little chat with Glenn Campbell, and Campbell actually gave gave her his manager's information and said give him a call, and they did, and in nineteen eighty nine, Alan Jackson got signed as the first artist on the new Arista Nashville label subsidy or of Arista. So sometimes it's all about timing and not being shy, walk up and say what you gotta say. I guess the list of albums that Alan Jackson put out just goes on and on. Like I said, we could spend all night talking about that. But there was one event that people still talk about. It was the nineteen ninety nine Country Music Association Awards. They asked George Jones to perform, but then they asked him to cut his song down to ninety seconds. A ninety second performance for a country legend that did not go over well. So George Jones, as in many other shows, did not show up this time. It was on purpose, not because he was blasted out of his mind, but yeah, he was not going to take that insult, so he didn't show up. Alan Jackson was booked to fill that slot, and when Jackson's band got up, they started to do one of their own songs, abruptly stopped and then started singing George Jones's song Choices, So they wound up doing a George Jones song over that ninety second thing, just as a little bit of you know up yours to the Country Music Association, and people still talk about the little bad boy kind of thing doing that on a live broadcast. After nine to eleven, he released the song where Were You When the World Stopped Turning? Which was appropriate at the time, and then at least for me, and I think a lot of other people had kind of turned schlocky quite quickly because it just got overplayed and overplayed and overplayed, and it was you know so, but that put him over the top, to the point where South Park did a really really good spoof on where We So I suggest head over to YouTube and look that up. So it was really good, but it really helped him become a mainstream performer. In twenty twenty one, Alan Jackson went public with his diagnosis of Charcot Marie tooth disease CMT. It's an inherited neurological disorder affecting the pathways between the brain and spinal cord and the rest of the body. It can cause weakness, muscle atrophy. Sometimes basic functions like sweating and your balance can become uncontrolled, and it could even cause foot deformities from the muscle and balance of your body trying to balance itself and not being able to control the muscles so much it can cause the victim to hunch over. It can cause hip problems, gi problems. It's not a life threatening kind of thing, but obviously it could just make you completely miserable, depending on how severe your case is, and it started to hit him pretty hard, especially as a singer where you kind of need your muscles to you know, sing, stand and perform on March. In March of twenty twenty two, he launched a farewell tour because of this diagnosis, and he just held his final concert on June twenty seventh, twenty twenty six, at the over sold Nissan Stadium in Nashville. I believe it was over eighty thousand cramped into the stadium there, and they live streamed it and it was broadcast live and all that kind of stuff. But today we are going to check out his nineteen ninety three hit Chattahoochie, which he co wrote with Jim McBride. Their goal, they set out to write an uptempo song. They started with the line way down Yonder on the Chattahoochie, Yonder is coming back. I don't know if it ever went away. Yonder's coming back. I'm going to use that as often as I can, all right. So the song's about growing up in a small town, having fun, making memories with your friends. The Chattahoochee River flows from northern Georgia and shares a border with Alabama and Florida, so that's a real river. It was a country hit, and it also made it to number four on the Billboard Hot one hundred in May of nineteen ninety three. There's your crossover as well. The video for it is completely ridiculous because it features Alan Jackson water skiing while wearing jeans and a cowboy hat, which is not what you would typically wear when you go water skiing, No, at least not me anyway, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I've never gone water skiing, so you'll never.
Speaker 2: I've tried, and I was terrible at it. I would absolutely try it again. I is so much harder than it looks, and I cannot imagine trying to do it in jeans and keeping your cowboy hat on on top of that. So yeah, but he did it, and he actually did it for the video that's him water skiing, so feel free to go check that out in your spare time. I chose the song because of the second part of that opening line, well way down yonder on the chattahoochie, it gets hotter than a uci coucih Now, huci couci originally was a pockative belly dance. The term came around in the mid to later eighteen hundreds. What the phrase has taken on new meetings, especially in the South. And I will leave it to you to interpret what a huci couci is to you.
Speaker 9: So let's may I interjection I encourage you to do so. So I work at a city reliquary. It's a museum in Brooklyn, and we have an exhibit about little Egypt who was a who who started the Houcci Cucci dance. Okay, and she was She was wildly famous and danced for all the dignitaries and political people and you know, everybody, and like off and around like the Coney Island area. And she was so popular that they had to hire two more little Egypts to like take her place when she couldn't do it anymore, or when you was bored. But yeah, yeah, she was the one. And she was not Egyptian, by the way. She just picked up that name and stuck with it.
Speaker 2: Welcome for Yeah, very cool. All right, So let's check out Chattahoochee and let's see how Neil handles hit.
Speaker 1: Let's go. We went down under rona Chada pooch. It gets hotter than a hoochie coochie. We laid rubber on the Georgia asphalt. We got a little crazy, but we never got caught down by the river on a Friday night here.
Speaker 24: In little cans in the pil like talking about cars and dreaming back when never had a plan just to live in for a minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, went down yonder on the chad a foots.
Speaker 19: You never knew how much and muddy water meant to need, but'll learn how to swim, and I learned who.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of battle.
Speaker 23: Living and a little about love, really fogging up the windows in my shitting.
Speaker 1: I was willing, but she wasn't ready, So I settled for a burger and a great snow cone. Dropped her off early, But I didn't go home down by the river on a Friday night hearing medle.
Speaker 24: Cans in the pale moon by talking about cars and dreaming about winning.
Speaker 19: Never had a plan, just to live in for a minute. Yeah, any time he under gonna chat a foods. You never knew how much of muddy water.
Speaker 1: Meant to me, But I learned how to swim, and I learned who I was. A lot of battle living and a little bout love. Yeah, and down yonder on the chat foods. You never knew how much that money water meant to me.
Speaker 23: But I learned how to swim, and I learned to It was a lot of battle lidden and a little battle a lot of battle itting, and a little bout love.
Speaker 2: So Neil gave me the finger and walked off. Zoom I've never had that before.
Speaker 8: I did not know. I sat here and endured the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I was tempted.
Speaker 8: Now, you know, I think I have heard that song before. I didn't know who it was or but let me tell you this. It contains every cliche everything I did test about country music all in one song. So yes, that that's how I feel about it. Now, if you're talking about a Huci Coucie Man Muddy Waters song, yeah, I'll take that any day over this Suci Couci nonsense here with this guy?
Speaker 2: Did we break Neil tonight?
Speaker 8: You know, I've got my right to free speech absolute kind of sort of maybe not after you know tonight. But no, sorry, no, that did not did not do anything for me.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I get it, I get it. I actually like it. I found it catchy.
Speaker 8: So that the fiddle that yeah, oh that's like, oh I'd rather.
Speaker 3: Like that's actually like the only part I didn't mind.
Speaker 8: I'd rather have, you know, like sir, injury or something done.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, all right, sorry, that's all right, tortures over.
Speaker 8: But but but you know what you were saying. How you know, country music, in spite of popular belief, is the most popular music like on the planet. You think you know rock or pop or what.
Speaker 15: No.
Speaker 8: Country music consistently has been out selling everything all the time. So yeah, no, that does not surprise me.
Speaker 3: There's no accounting for taste.
Speaker 8: It just doesn't you know. Well, maybe I have no taste, but you know that's okay with me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: It a big country, that is true, very large country.
Speaker 8: No. No, so, I mean you know what everyone's Everyone can like what they like, and that's.
Speaker 9: Just something you don't have to listen to it.
Speaker 2: That's here.
Speaker 8: Oh well, and you're off the hook, like I said, But I did. I sat quietly and listened.
Speaker 2: Ye, and Mercedes, did I meet the criteria for the topic?
Speaker 9: I was too busy listening trying to decide whether I liked it?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, all right, what did you think? At the end?
Speaker 9: I thought, I agree about the fiddle thing that I don't love that, but I didn't. It was fine. It was fine not going out to buy the record, but yeah, I mean it was okay. It was country music.
Speaker 2: Barber's shaking her head new I don't.
Speaker 11: Want to really say this on the air, but that was the whitest song I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: It's out there yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 8: Well, like I said, it had every cliche known to country music all wrapped up to how many like three and a half minutes or whatever. It's all stuck all together like that.
Speaker 2: All right, So, uh, this seems like a good time to pull the plug.
Speaker 8: That would have been about about five minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I feel as though I have accomplished my objective. So I stirred the pot and now I'm.
Speaker 8: Going to leave.
Speaker 2: I actually enjoyed it, Brian, all right, there you go. Well it's two out of two out of six. Could have been, could have been a whole lot worse.
Speaker 9: I'm musa say two and a half out of.
Speaker 2: Six, two and a half. All right, I'll take the half. I'll take it, all right. So yep, let's pull the plug. Let's go. We'll head out. And with that, thank you Cranbones, Thank you Mercedes for the topic, because once again I had to narrow it down. I know, I had to put some time into deciding which I wanted to go with this.
Speaker 9: So was that my topic?
Speaker 2: It was your topic, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah I think so.
Speaker 3: No, I thought it was mine.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm sorry it wasn't mine.
Speaker 9: That's all I know, all right, I never complained about the heat, so I would be surprised if all.
Speaker 2: Right, well, I asked the wrong person, Barbara. Did I meet the criteria?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 2: I guess I don't know.
Speaker 11: I was just trying to trying to trying to listen to it without throwing up.
Speaker 8: All right, Oh my god, I thought I thought I was being demonstrative about my opinion. Oh she's holding back, and I have made.
Speaker 2: Enemies this evening.
Speaker 9: Was the criteria about whether it's about hot people.
Speaker 8: It was hot, Well, it's about it was like a summer time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hot summer, that's it.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, I mean I might not like the song, but it fit the topic. I thought, Yeah, I guess it did.
Speaker 2: All right. All right, so I guess I owe you an apology just for the torture. But everybody else did such a great job at picking songs, right, all right, So thank you all for joining us here for the Rock and Roll History Show. Don't forget to subscribe to your favorite podcast app and check out all the other shows we do here at Hudson River Radio. There is something for everybody. We're off next week. We'll be back in two weeks with another brand new topic. So we hope you join us. Then until then, you stay cool as cool as you can, be safe, and we'll catch you soon. Peace out, everybody, come a rock top bottomed drum.
Speaker 20: Okay, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Hudson River Radio dot Com a subsidiary of Glacier Entertainment LLC, potentially successful multi hundred dollars corporation