Speaker 1: Olga Paz America. I'm Dan Pfeifer. You're about to hear a great conversation I just had with Amanda Liibman, co founder and president of Run for Something, an organization that has recruited more than two hundred and fifty thousand people to run for office since it's founding in twenty seventeen, and she's the author of When We're in Charge, the Next Generation's Guide to Leadership. I invited Amanda on because I wanted to hear her perspective on where Democrats are heading into the twenty twenty six midterms, how the fight between establishment and insurgent candidates is playing out in races across the country, especially in a heated Democratic primary in Michigan, and where the party goes from here. I also asked her about how grand Platnir's desician to drop out of the main Senate race could impact Democrats' chances of taking back the Senate, and what she thinks, as someone who has worked with thousands of candidates, about the recruitment inventing process that led him to jump into the race. It was a great conversation and we'll get to it in a minute, but before we do, If you want more analysis heading into the midterms, consider subscribing to my newsletter of the Message Box, where I pull back from day to day punditry to offer deeper analysis on the trends affecting our politics. Go to crookad dot com FLUS Yes we Dan for a twenty percent disc on your subscription, and as always, considered becoming a paying subscriber to Friends of the Pod, where you'll get this episode in many more ad free, which now includes ad free episodes of Alex Wagner's phenomenal Runaway Country. Head to crooked dot com slash friends to subscribe today. All right, here's Amanda Libman. Amanda Lipman, Welcome back to Potsave America.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me Dan.
Speaker 1: I wanted to have you on for so many reasons. I want to talk about the midterms. I want to talk about the battle within the Democratic Party between the insurgents and the establishment, the left, the right, etc. But I feel like the best place to start and maybe the worst place to start with this conversation is main a topic we've talked a lot about now. I don't think we need to go through our own personal histories with Graham Plattner or who we liked, we like them, We've all we've all done that. I went deep with Alex Wagner on last week's pot. You've written about this, you've talked about and you've tweeted about it. I want your perspective, as someone who has worked with thousands of candidates, about how we ended up in this situation, and I want only begin with a candidate recruitment process. Dana Morath and Leeann Fann, two progressive activists who have done a very did a very aggresive media tour about their about their plans for recruiting Grand Platner. They went looking for a candidate in Maine. They looked through FEC records. They look for a lobsterman. Then they looked for an oyster farmer. They looked at then they saw a video of Grand Platiner. They went with, met with them, convinced them to run for office. This has come under a withering critique for lots of people. What did they do right? What did they do wrong? What's your take on this recruitment process? And we'll get to the vetting after this, because that's that's a different topic, but related obviously, what did they do right?
Speaker 2: They looked for someone new. I think that's good. I think we should open the door to as many new voices as possible. We should expand our idea of what a good candidate looks like. That's the end of the list of things they did right. What they think what they did wrong is you cannot play king maker, and you really cannot play mad libs with candidate recruitment. You cannot look at a state like Maine or any district and say, you know what, we need X kind of occupation, Y, demographic, Z type of politics. We're going to make this person into a candidate. One, we have no idea who the fucking win, We have no idea. But two, it is leaves open so much space for it to feel like a puppet master is creating the candidate, as opposed to the candidate coming up organically. It is possible that he, like, notwithstanding all of his other personal stuff that he might have come up through and you know, seeen an ad and run for something, or gone to a main Democratic party event and said you know what, maybe maybe I do see myself here and then gone through the kind of rigorous, thoughtful process you need before you actually get on the ballot that maybe could have been so, but they did not do that. They said, we're going to make this man into a senator, and they tried to pop a master it into being that will backfire any number of ways.
Speaker 1: I obviously agree with all of that. The like people have to want to run for office, you have to start with that, right, which is and we'll talk a lot about run for something in the course of the conversation, but people find you because they want to run for something.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think it's I just I think it's really important to say that running for office sucks like, it is miserable, It is hard, you are your life is going to be under a microscope. You need to want to do it. Anyway, we should not convince people to run. We should open the door to them and then if they say, guess, help them walk through it. We shouldn't push them through it.
Speaker 1: So that's one aspect of this, right, trying to take someone who doesn't want to profress and get them run for it or rays never thought about it, right, It's one thing to you've kind of thought about it for a while, you're you know, maybe you want to do it, maybe you don't. Your weigh in considerations and then people try to convince them to do it. The party committees do that all the time. That's how she had at Mills ended up in this race, which is she didn't really want want to run for office, and I guess you would stop calling her yes. But there's another element of this too that has got a lot of attention, which is they went looking for a very specific type of person. Now, this to me doesn't seem that different from what the D Triple C or other organizations do, right They just you know, they look at a district, they look at the political environment, they say, these are the kinds of people who should run, who would be good candidates in this district or in this political environment. In the two thousand and six cycle, Democrat the D Trible C in a Roma Manu whe Out recruited a whole bunch of Iraq and Afghanistan vets to run for office. You know, an environment where people very anti warrior upside with Rock won a lot of races that way. D Trible C. This cycle has looked at you know, in the past, we've looked at prosecutor sheriffs, still veterans, you know, fired federal workers or a group here? Is there anything wrong with thinking about like the kind of profession that would be the right people Like it's like, I understand the idea from these peoples perpective, which is we want a working class candidate in me, right, we can like there's all kinds of conversations about what whether grip Putet was actually working class, but let's just put that aside for a second. And what is a great job in Maine to be a working that is like says I am Maine in their original conception was lobster nt Like, let's get someone who fishes for lobsters? Is there anything wrong with that approach, that sort of casting call approach to it?
Speaker 2: I think it assumes that we know who can win, which sometimes will make a good guess. But like, you can come up with dozens of examples of people who would never have been asked to run. Barack Obama being another like a top of the list who would have asked the one term state senator, two terms state senator, con law professor to run for our office. No one who would have asked someone like Lauren Underwood, a nurse who was a black woman in a majority white district, to run for office. Who would have asked AOC, who would have asked you know, Ayana Presley. These leaders who are truly amazing public like figures in our party, who you probably wouldn't have picked if you were going to start from scratch, but who because they care, because they had problems they want to solve, and the offices that they saw gave them power to solve it, decided to get in the fight. So I think it is so risk averse and we are at a moment where our party can't afford to be risk averse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I want to talk about how the platter thing affects our risk a version in a second. But let's pivot to the vetting, because there's never been so much talk about vetting in history, and in part once again because Marath and Fan did these interviews where they almost giddily admitted to barely vetting Platner, how do you think about the process of candidate vetting? And obviously did not work here, but like what is a what can one reasonably expect to find out? And like what were the failure points here?
Speaker 2: So I say, Run for Something has endorsed more than four thousand candidates over the last ten years. I believe we've had to riscend fewer than a dozen of those endorsements in the last decade. Pretty good track record. And for those incidents is have been things that have come up, like after the campaign has already started. Now part of us we work on the local level. The stakes are a little bit different there. But also we do deep background checks, we do social media scraps, we ask local operatives, we dig deeper. We also ask candidates and this I think is the most important part that Platner would have failed here. What are we going to find? Like is what is the OPO report on you? What is the opposition going to say? If your worst secrets are on the front page of the newspaper, what's that headline going to read? And how are you going to feel about it? I think for us, and this is true of our most betting reports, what the candidate says in their own like self OPO is the nut to crack. And it doesn't seem like Platner was going to be honest about those things. Maybe he didn't think they were flags in the first place, or he didn't remember them, whatever it might be. For some of them, I think that is where it really matters that people want to do this so that they can be very open and honest with the teams and voters more importantly about what they're going to find.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really have been struggling with this because, as you say, the process, you know, and it's different levels, right, what you guys would do for state senate candidates, different than what theoretically should have happened in a high profile senate race. And that is light years apart from what would happen in a presidential.
Speaker 2: Race, which is why you don't pluck people from obscurity to run for senate.
Speaker 1: Right right, and who don't want to write like that is the thing. And but if you look at the platinum thing, like there's there is the social media post. Now, a good vetting should have found that, because CNN found it.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether he told them that he had been doing it's been doing a lot of Reddit posting in an earlier station's life. I imagined that would have been something that would have been easier to say than some of the other things have happened that should have been found. The tattoo is an interesting one. I've thought about this a lot like what is the like I don't know that in any Canic questionnaires. Well there will be. Now I guess, do you do you have any Nazi like tattoos? Do you have any problematic tattoos? Let be ex like dys robes where I can examine your tattoos. His taed nasti tattoos not showing up in a Bux's nexus or a Google search about his history or public record search. But if you would talk to lots of people around them, some of them might have said, because this is one of the reason why you talk to people is they want to help their friends and family do this right and not get embarrassed. So they will often tell you things like, you know, just one thing I would ask him about is there's this kind of weird tattoo you know that like that could have come up, but like you also see how that falls through the cracks in a traditional particularly if you believe, which I am now very skeptical of, that he did not know until that it was Nazi related until the end. Now, I don't believe that he got it to be a Nazi, but I don't think he's been truthful about when he found out.
Speaker 2: I do think like it is worth thinking about what are the things good vetting would have found and what are the things that we never could have known.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Reddit post stuff should have been found, Yeah, for sure. And then you get to his relationships with women. The I mean, I can't even have it to have this conversation about this, but the quote unquote consensual sexting that went on was discovered in the vetting process. His wife did what she was supposed to do, which is she told the campaign the exact question that you raised. She answered with, there was this, and the campaign made a decision not to deal with it in any way, shape or form, or not to proactively disclose it. You know that that cannect to bite them. And then the other stuff, like the tossic nature of those relationships, the sexual assault allegation are things that a campaign can only find out if the candidate tells them. If the candidate is unwilling to tell them, they may never know because it's just it doesn't show up in that Now. Once again, in a presidential level vetting or VP level vetting, the campaign would have gone out and talked to all the ex girl friends. I don't know that that's a reasonable expectation for a Senate race. But Planner is a failure of vetting on one end. But the things that ended as campaign is a failure of character on his part to be willing to tell them to the campaign right. I'm not trying to thank Marafin fan, but it just I've gotten so many questions about vetting in this process. I think it's just worth to help people understand, like what is reasonable. And they failed miserably, but ultimately the failure was also Platner's.
Speaker 2: I think that's right, and I think his failure to be honest with them, even about some of the things should have been the red flag to that people talking to him.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's exactly right. There were clearly red flags that in their interactions with him that should have raised more questions that led to more vetting. So in my conversations with you know, listeners of the show Democrats out there, there's a fair amount of defeatism about Maine post Platner, the sense that we had this gold opportunity, everything went wrong, wrong candidate, wrong approach from the d SEC to kind of clear the field. So we ended up with this choice between a flawed candidate and a candidate who didn't really want to run and couldn't beat that flawed candidate. How are you feeling about the race going forward? And we're recording this on Thursday, a couple of hours before the first debate that the Main Democratic Party is holding for the nomination to replace Platner.
Speaker 2: I think the Main Democratic Party so far has done a pretty good job of setting up a process that people feel like they can be a part of, because I think that was the real danger was like the party would just pick somebody and then like force it down voters' throats for lack of a better term or than their choice their menu. They seem to have set up a process that gives people a voice, and it seems like all of the candidates who are jumping in at least have some amount of run through the ringer, whether they ran for governor, they ran for Congress, they're public businessmen. Like there's not not as many nobodies. I am still cautiously optimistic. I mean, Maine is a state that voted for Kamala Susan Collins is deeply unpopular. Trump is even more unpopular. There does seem to be like a deep frustration with Susan Collins among mayners. It's not a foregone conclusion that it's a non starter. I am curious to see how quickly whoever takes the nomination can raise money, and what Platner does with his money and his infrastructure, and how much he really engages with the potential nominee or if he as his dropout video seem to indicate, Harbor's a lot of ill will towards this process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like his money is incredibly useful. Now he can only give a small amount of it to the nominee, but he could theoretically give it all to the d SEC of the DNC, and the DNC could then, now thank you to the Roberts Court, use that money in an un in a fully coordinated fashion to spend it unlimitedly on behalf of the nominee. You know, I feel and maybe this is just cope on my part. I and this is going depend how the process plays out. But if the process plays out like I hope it will, which is I agree the main Democratic Party is doing so far a great job, Ideally you'd have another primary eyone going to vote that is not obviously logistically feasible on this very tight timeline. This is certainly better than just the party committee voting on one person behind closed doors. This is at least people. It'll happen, and there'll be a couple of debates, it'll happen, but this convention will be very interesting. Lots of people will watch it. The people will get a test. This is kind of what might have helped us better in twenty twenty four if other people had wanted to run against Kamala. They didn't, so we'd never had that process. But there's like a testing ground here where you'll get to see if some of these people. You know, it's not exactly like a primary campaign, but it's as close as we're going to get. So I think that's good. I think we are if this process plays out and we end up with a candidate without a Nazi tattoo or a bunch of other things, we're in a better position than we probably would have been had we ended up with either Platiner or Mills. Platner in this like in this state, if Platner before the sexu assault like a allegation, just Platner as he was on primary day, or Mills is the nominee, like I think we actually have a chance that this race could, god forbid, be about Susan Collins, which is what you want it to be, because in that Times poll that we're an even platner after all this stuff was going on, was still winning by two points by I think it's an eleven point margin. People in Maine want the Democrats control the Senate. So if you can actually just make this race about a vote for Sustan Collins is a vote to let Donald Trump control the Senate, put Supreme Court justices on and do all these bad things, like, you have a real shot. And you can just have a generic Democrat who is a like not generic cammer is the right word. You need a talented generic Democrat, right, someone who can just isn't flawed, can campaign well, but allows the focus to be on the candidate on Susan Collins, not their own personal foibles like that. That's it seems like a in some ways are like a decent shot. I still think we have a very real shot to win this race. I really do.
Speaker 2: I do too, And I think the candidate who takes this nomination forward sort of has an indicator of where voters are now, like can really speak to the anger that you know, Platner for all of his fuck ups, and there are many like he caught fire. Something like one percent of Maine was volunteering for his campaign. That he spoke to the anger and the frustration that people feel. He put forward some real like clarity of positions, and the nominee who moves forward should be able to tap into that, even if they don't weren't able to capture it in the primary themselves.
Speaker 1: You know, I got served a TikTok video a platinar because you know, obviously nothing on TikTok is connected to the calendar, so it actually was posted weeks and weeks ago, and it's Platiner talking about how we have to stop making this between left and right, and we got a point fingers up, not down. That's not pointing each other. It's about the billionaire. So like that is a legitimately good message that someone else could also have, and it also is a reminder of it does remind you because I think some of the discourse is, you know, it's all because you know, Pozzi American's taken a lot of SLINKs and narrows over this, But it's all because these dumb podcasts with other people like Platinir that he wanted and people forget he actually got seventy percent of the vote in the primary and blew the doors off the two term incumbent governor. Like he was doing something he was he was the wrong vessel, but he was doing something that people have made very much wanted, and they were all very well aware of everything up until this last until the sexual salt Delegation's very aware of his things, and they still wanted him. And that's there's something in there that Democrats have.
Speaker 2: To take from that ad because I have also taken some heat here and I share the frustration of like this was at no point ever a clearly moral right or wrong, because at every point up until he dropped out, it was either him or Susan Collins and a Trump Chalk Supreme Court, Like those were the choices. Which is better for women, Graham Platner in the United States Senate or Trump Supreme Court justices? Ah, you know, Like it was bad, It was all bad. And I am so glad that he ultimately did the right thing and stepped aside. And I am glad that we get a chance so that those are not our only two choices.
Speaker 1: What do you think about outside of May And we'll talk about some of the other races coming in the House and Senate map. But you know, you and I have both argued, You've done this very eloquently, that Democrats need to be a willing to take bigger risks. We have to change the way we're doing things. We have to change the way we communicate, the way we campaign, the kind of candidates we think about, that the way the establishment is doing things has been not as effectives who we would like it to be. It does in the Platiner debate prior to the most recent stuff, but even threw up into the Reddit post and the Nazi tattoo was a little bit of a proxy for this battle between It's in some ways it's between the left in the middle, but in some ways it's also between people who want real change in people who want less change within the party. And it does, like my worry with this is and we're I'm gonna get to Michigan because I think these things are tied together in some ways, but it like I worry that people take this as a argument against taking risks against candidates and wide in the aperture and the kinds of candidates that we're open to. Because Platner was in it was obviously a very unique candidate with a unique background, but he blew up in our face. So therefore, ergo the conclusion is we got to be more traditional, Like, what's your take on that you've seeing that too?
Speaker 2: I find that to be such a an empty argument, because it's not like Janet Mills was the right choice either. She was the establishment's call. She was Schumer's pick. Schumer cleared the field for her, as we have seen notice and others do very in depth reporting on, like they kick they got candidates to leave that race so that Janet Mills would run for the United States Senate, and then they begged and pleaded her to get in, and then not only did they leave her hanging out to dry when she was stop being able to raise money. But it is telling that she's not throwing her hat in the ring to win the nomination now. She doesn't want to do this. She is not the path forward. So like to say that this proves that the establishment always gets it right and the new people always get it wrong. No, this is villains on all sides here. Everyone got this wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's exactly right, and I just like, I just I don't want people to think that this means that outsider candidates you need. The right outside of candis but outside we shouldn't have outsideer candidates, you know. And the conversation around this is so like stupid basically because the thing people keep saying, like you have Fetterman and you have Platner, And I'm just like, Fetterman was a prominent mayor for years and years years, yeah, and then he was lieutenant governor. He was not like he dresses like an outsider. He has some prior to his most recent ideological shift, but he was a progressive Democrat who endorsed Bernie Sanders and Barack Obama. And I mean he was campaigning, he was a mayor in two thousand and eight, campaigning with Obama. And so this idea that it's just no one wants to have the real conversation about this, and like just that this is either either this is all about Platinner or there's a specific type of candidate you want, and that can be on both sides of this, right, Like everyone's got to reckon with with what you know, with the reality here. But this, I just we we need so we need outsider candidates. They don't have to be grand platinner. They should be better than grand planner or insider candidate should better than Eric Swawall yep, and Andrew Cuomo like this.
Speaker 2: I mean that was when it was like, well, the establishment does a good job. Do we we have proof of that? I just I do think that, like some of the emotion around this race both comes to the stakes of it, where people like, obviously, if we do not win Maine or a state like it, we will not hold the Senate. It will be devastating for generations, and the sense that, especially for people who really believed in him, it's a sense of betrayal, of grief of like I thought I had a politician I could get excited about, and he disappointed me and broke my heart. And so I have some amount of empathy for the high feelings on all sides of this, but also the task now is to win and to make sure we don't make this mistake again.
Speaker 3: Pod Save America is brought to you by Act Blue. If you've been listening to the pod, you already know the stakes. Act Blue is the platform that's been powering democratic campaigns for over two decades, giving candidates up and down the ballot the tools they need to fundraise, organize, build websites and win. And this year they've launched an organizing platform built specifically for the people doing the work. Act blue Field Tools. Winning elections doesn't start in October. It happens now. Act blue Field Tools mobilizes volunteer energy at scale by bringing texting, phone banking, and canvassing into one platform. Already powering over three hundred and fifty thousand volunteers across all fifty states. Act blue handles the logistics so your team can focus on what actually moves voters, meaningful, real conversations. Actlue never sells your data or personal information, so you can stay focused on what matters most, donating, organizing, and helping democrats win. This November, the elections could come down to just a few hundred votes. The work that wins those races starts this summer, and it starts with you. Get started at ActBlue dot com slash Crooked Positive America is brought to you by Fast Growing Trees. Fast Growing Trees is America's largest online nursery with thousands of trees and plants for every space and climate, and they make it easy to get plants that actually work for your.
Speaker 4: Yard delivered right to your door. Fast Growing Trees has shipping plants down to a literal science. Every plant is handpicked and carefully inspected, and their packaging is designed specifically to keep them secure in transit so they don't get damaged. They even have a lab where they test the best packaging material to protect against cold, heat, humidity, and much more so, when your plants arrive they look like you just bought them at the local nursery. Plus, every order is backed by They're Alive and Thrive guarantee, so in the off chance you do have any issues with your delivery, you are covered. We have tons of Fast Growing Trees plants here at the office. They look great. They showed up looking perfect. They give you advice on the layout and what will do well in the climate in your area. They tell you how to keep them alive and healthy, which for a lot of us is the hard part. All the soil remained in place. You know there's no big mess when they open the box, so highly recommend it right now. They have great deals on summer planting essentials and listeners get an additional twenty percent off your first order with the code crooked at checkout. That's twenty percent off at Fast Growing trees dot Com with the code crooked. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 1: All right, let's pivot to your hometown of New York City, which has been ground zero for the rise of democratic socialism, and beginning first with them Nani, and then the races that happen in the New York primary. Two incumbents were inceded and two DSA candidates one races, one in seating a long term incumbent, one winning an open seat. These are and then in Colorado where we had a thirty year democratic incumbent in Diana to get unseated by a Democratic socialist. What do you make of the rise of democratic socialism? Is this something that is this about socialism? Is it about the fact that these are all districts that Kama Harris won by more than fifty points. What's your take on what's happening here?
Speaker 2: I think voters are hungry for someone offering them a solution to their problems, especially young people who cannot afford to buy a house, cannot afford childcare or stuff with student loan debt, feel like they have no agency in their lives. They are looking too gambling or crypto or whatever it is, because at the very least that feels like something you might have some control over. They are pissed, they are frustrated with this status quo, and DSA candidates are saying, here's a solution. They're offering an alternative. Establishment or the center or the old guard could also do the same, and I think it is telling to me that they are not putting forward like a vision for what else could be possible. You know the fact that Mamdanie was able to speak to the not just the anxiety that people fail about their economic situation, but also like how they feel about what their life might hold like it wasn't just afford to live, it was afford to dream. It was afford to to be able to imagine a better future for yourself. I think also DSA has built some organizing muscle in a lot of these places which should not be underrated, and their candidates are selling something that matters.
Speaker 1: If you look at the polling, there is just absolutely no question that socialism has grown in favor with Democratic voters over the last many years here in the New York Times, Sianopol every single demographic, every single age court cowort of democrats, a parality of democrats have a favorable opinion of socialism. Interestingly enough, I find this to be so fascinating. They group with the high approval rating of or if high stave ability ate of socialism is not eighteen to twenty nine year olds, it's thirty to forty four as millennials. Maybe, yes, Andrew, you know, I remember I was telling this with ever I think, but it does make sense if you are of an age where you came of age in the Great Recession, like you really have been through the Ringer in a way, that is where capitalism has really fucked you, like at every turn. And you're also at the age where you want to be buying a house and you either can't afford to do it or a more expensive you can. You have kids, like you're at it. But socialism has grown in favor in capitalism has lost a lot support across the board with everyone in recent years also understandably so I think there is something too, like it was easy to dismiss mom Donnie as a generational talent, just like that guy could have. He could have been democratic socialist, he could have whatever he could. He was so good, he's so good. But these other candidates are They're good, but there's it's not generational talent that's winning, and so that they are people want big change and the left is more comfortable offering big change than the center. It doesn't mean there can't be a moderate version of something that addresses in a compelling, understandable, credible way the cost of healthcare, housing, food, whatever else. Like you can do that just have been unwilling to do it. And there is just something in there's a passion in how that is different with all not every but with a lot of leftists, for center candidates, that comes through that reads his authenticity and that you'll fight for them right, And like I was struck. I remember there's a clip from the Diana to Get melac Hero's debate where Diana de get is making an argument about a public option, which in a different era, I mean that that was a that was a mission too liberal for the Democratic Senate and the and the Obama era error when Obama's trying to do it, and it's like a you know, she's sort of living in the world of legislatively possible, and Kiros makes this very passionate argument for medica, the morality behind Medicare for all and why it's the right thing to do. And it's just like the difference there. Part of it is generational, part of it is inside or outside of part of it also is that's an easier argument to make in the moment. Now we can talk about how hard it is to make maybe in a general election, but in the moment, there's just they're offering something that is different. Now, do you There is real concern among even well meaning I think people in the establishment, the people who are trying to win the House in the Senate, that this rise of demo. And I should say, thus far, Democrats have not nominated any any DSA candidates in races that were that aren't guaranteed democratic racist. So it's not we're not in a situation where a bunch of these candidates are knocking off more. You know, they're not knocking off, they're not running, they're not winning a nomination in a district where they would be very very far to the left of the district. That's happening in the polistictions of the country, which is probably how the primary process is supposed to work. But you know, you do have an upcoming race with the Democratic Socialists in Wisconsin running for governor. But I think a lot of them guns have this fear that this could cost us the House in the Senate, either by d sakn A's winning primaries where they are to the left of the district, or the just being tarnishing the already tarnished brand of the Democrats. What's your take?
Speaker 2: The Democratic brand can't get much worse. What are we doing here, guys?
Speaker 1: We're going to try. I'll tell you that, you know, I do think.
Speaker 2: That just to speak to that particular point where like if a candidate can't comfortably say, you know what, I don't agree with my future colleague on X y Z issue, but I look forward to working together to find a way to bring everyone affordable healthcare. Like you're not a good politician. You don't have to agree with all of your colleagues and everything. You can respectfully dismiss them and look forward to working together. To the point of like, how are I thinking about the bigger picture here? You know, these candidates where they're run and winning, they are getting people excited shouldn't we want people to be excited about this process. Like these DSA meetings like them or not. And like I'm not a DSA member, That's not where I sit ideologically, But I look at those meetings and there's young people showing up, they are volunteering, they are donating, they are participating in very boring conversations about process. Like that is what building a political party looks like. We should want that and we should try to make the broader Democratic Party a place where that is possible. Now, I will say run for something. Last year had nearly over the last eighteen months, if had about one hundred thousand people raise their hands to run for office. That is more than we had in the entirety of Trump's first term. The thing that we have heard different over this year and the last than we didn't hear in Trump one point zero was frustration with the Democratic Party was people explicitly saying I am running for office because they are not going to fight for me. They have not delivered for me, They do not see me, they do not care about me. So the DSA is giving those people a home the Democratic Party, like you know Big D could do the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's there's no question, you know, I'm not overly worried about. I mean they called Barack Obama socialists and there were no they called.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden as socialists. What are we doing here?
Speaker 1: Well, we could elect no DSA candidates and they would call swing state Democratic member candidates socialists like that? Would that would happen? I mean, you know this from all the races run is you would need candidates who are ideologically fit their district. These DSA candidates obviously fit their district that the voter said that, that's what they declared. And and you know in wolves that maybe you know in so far there have been some non DSA candidates who have won some primaries that some people believe we're against, you know you I'm thinking about Maine two Randy Via guess were like they were not they the establishment had a view on who was the best candidate to win, the more progressive candidate one. We'll find out in a few months who was right. Well, actually, I take the back, We'll never find out who was right because it's always a counterfactual. We don't know what the other person would have won. The DSA thing is I think, uh it's become it's a little bit like the Platiner thing, where it's become a proxy for something else where. It's it's the easiest boogeyman for some of the center groups to say to fight something else or something broader because Democrats are becoming more liberal. Like that that is true on almost every issue. It is true that with the number of Democrats who describe the thisselves as very liberal has gone up significantly since Trump was elected. The number how Democrats feel about a whole bunch of issues, particularly Israel, which we'll get to, has changed dramatically and so but that's not like that that is contributed to the rise of DSA, But it's not because of the rights of DSA.
Speaker 2: I also struggle a lot with like what is the who's the target for that argument that like DSA Candida shouldn't win these races. Like I'm a New York City voter. Are you telling me that I should pick my mayor based on who might cause tarnished to the Democratic Party brand as a mythical voter in Wisconsin? Like what an insane thing to suppose or to suggest, Yes, I really I struggle with this because there it assumes much like the left assumes that there is some secret cabal in charge, who can you control how elections are run or can control what candidates say if anybody was in charge. Do you think this is how it would go?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Like yes, yes.
Speaker 2: It is voters making their voices heard on who they want to represent them, and we should be grateful that they are participating and that there are candidates that get them excited to show up. We should learn from that.
Speaker 1: I there are exceptions. I am someone who generally believe like I am, I've gotten more progressive in my personal abuse as I've gotten older. I've also live in California now, so maybe those two things are related. Sure, but I still you know, I grew up working on races in red states and red districts like that. It's my background. So I'm very cognizant that you need people who meet their district and that you're going to need candidates who are often to the right of the media and Democrat nationally to win in some of the especially we want to expand the Senate map. We want to get back to a place where we can win Ohio, Iowa, the Dakotah's, you know, places in the South, we have to do that. But I think and there was, and I think more Democrats should generally be aware of the challenges, like just how you know how the Republican bias and the Senate map, the Republican bias and the electoral College and the reality of winning these districts and you can't. You're like, what exists in your bubble is not what exists in out there in a lot of places, we have to win. Having said that, I think one of the great mistakes of the people making that argument is that they never offer it's always to tear down A. It's we're anti DSA, we're anti Zoron, Like Zoron getting elected was like this is the third way argument Duran get elected to be like the end of the world, especially when the other option was just I would I would just say there's a great irony between the most vehemently anti Platinam people being the most vehemently pro Cuomo people.
Speaker 2: This is the point, I mean, just to like really hammer this. If you were so afraid of DSA, there was a multitude of other options in that primate, you could have galvanized around even right now, and I'm sure we'll talk about Michigan in a moment like if you are so afraid of Abduel's aid, there was other options besides Haley Stevens, who they are currently having to spend fifty three million dollars to try and get over the finish line.
Speaker 5: It didn't have to be her.
Speaker 2: Malory mcmore, who you and I both know and supported and like a run Versusthinglam was right there. Now. I'm actually glad that she did not get the establishment support. I think that would have tarnished her campaign further. But putting aside of that, for a moment, you have to put something forward. We talked, I mean this is literally run for something. You have to have a vision, a solution. You have to talk to the problems that people are experiencing. Because voters are actually not proaggressive or conservative or moderate or centrist. They have problems they want solved, and they want politicians who will do that so that they don't have to care anymore. The Center could pose, could pose that they could put forward candidates who do that. It is so telling and frustrating that instead they choose to punch left there and also they are punching left instead of possibly creating space for Republicans to come in for other Democrats to come in like they are doing the thing that drives me crazy, which is yelling at the enemy who can hear them, as opposed to yelling at the enemy who can solve their problems.
Speaker 3: Pod Save America is brought to you by ag One. Summer is always a perfect time to unwind, to throw your schedule out the window, and prioritize adventure. With ag one, that doesn't have to mean letting your health fall by the wayside. Ag one is a daily health drink with a multibidem pre and probiotics, superfoods, and antioxidants. The easy delivery system means you get high quality nutritional support every single day, no matter where or when you start your morning. Ag one helps to maintain energy, support gut health, and support immune health. The next gen formula delivers seventy five ingredients clinically shown to support gut health, fill common nutrition gaps, and improve key nutrient levels within three months. When you're traveling, it's great to throw something like ag one into your bag so you know that you know you're in your hotel, maybe you're getting something quick on your way out the door. Maybe you're like eating like at.
Speaker 4: The air whatever.
Speaker 3: And if you have it with you, you know that, like, no matter how badly you're gonna eat on the road, or maybe you want eat badly in the road because you're going to Texas or something, you're just gonna barbecue the whole time. Bring ag one with you. I love it.
Speaker 4: I had some this morning.
Speaker 3: Visit drink ag one dot com slash Cricket. You get a free ag one travel case with seven free ag one travel packs, and you're welcome git with your first ag one subscription order while supplies last. That's drink ag one dot com slash Crooked.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to Michigan, which is the race that has supplanted Maine in the is the center of the Democratic Party civil war. We haven't talked about it a ton on this show, in part because Abdul worked for Cricket, did a head podcast for Crooked John. John and Tommy have supported his campaign. I supported Malanmorrow. It's the one race where we actually had actually supported candidate well it just had both had actually like donated money to primary candidate's Like that's not something that happened with Platner or anything like that. Just this is one where they knew Abdul. I know Abdul, I like Abduel. I know Mallory. I thought, I think Mallory's great, so I wanted to support Mallory. But so this race is now down. Mallory dropped out a couple weeks ago. It's now down to Hailey Stevens, a moderate establishment back congresswoman, and Abdul say it is. But it has become the center of the Democratic Party civil war. There is just the amount of attention it's getting, particularly online from the most act the most online Democratic activist and pundits, is huge. It is really established. It's it's everything right, It's establishment versus outsider. It's Bernie versus establishment, I guess, or Senate leadership. It's anti Israel versus a pack all of the above. What do you have a take on this race?
Speaker 2: I think it is a preview of the twenty twenty eight presidential primary. It makes me want to throw my phone into the sea. I know, it's just I think it's it's interesting, it's hard. I don't envy michigan ors who have to make this choice, and I really hope that whoever wins this primary can build like build some bridges, men some and fences, because I think it's getting people really, really really angry in a way that will be hard to fix.
Speaker 1: It reminds me a lot of the twenty sixteen memory, where it just feels very similar and no matter who wins, it's gonna have they're gonna have to work very hard. It's a long road back to d yes. I struggle with several things in this race. Which is my original beef in Maine was the d SEC endorsing Janet Mills, Like I was kind of interested in Platnir, but main thing was like, let's just the people main decide, like, and I was very concersed. I thought, I've talked about the many times. I just thought the Mills decision was a sort of a political mistake. I thought the decision to back Hyley Stevens over Mallory and Abdul I thought was also a crazy decision. I thought, just you should stay out of it. But where we are are now is this has become a lot about a quote unquote electability, and the argument of the Stevens people and Stephens Stevens campaign fairly directly is that Abdul cannot win or is at least much less likely to win than Hailey Stevens. What's your take on electability in this context.
Speaker 2: We have no idea, and I think the establishment quote unquote has lost all credibility on that argument. They thought they thought Joe Biden could win another germ, Like, they don't have the proof points anymore to make the case that they know what voters want, Like can Hailey Stevens win? I don't know. Seems like they've had to spend a lot of money to gather through the Democratic primary. If she does eke this out, she's out spending abdul what ten to one. It's it's not even and.
Speaker 1: It's nine percent of that money or not ninety percent of that money is from not the Heiley Stevens. I mean, they actually what Hailey Stevens ga Wine up with their first ad today as we're recording this, APAK has spent tens of millions of dollars. I think north of thirty million dollars at least on Hailey Stevens's behalf, and then you have some other superpacks. It the thing that there's so many things that anger me about this, and like it's very possible you can make a case that Hailey stevens as a quote unquote moderate and who will certainly appear more moderate if she wins a primary against Abdul, Like that is one of the things when you come off looking quite moderate when you win a primary against state progressive because you're positioned in that modern place, maybe more electable. I don't know that, Like you can make that case. It's it's possible you can make the case that because Abdul is to the left of you know, Michigan is the quintessential swing state. Now Trump's one to two. The lesser elections, it's a fifty to fifty state, we assume it's probably three to four, you know, five maybe five points to the left this time with the g Arcboult looks the way we think it does that you know, a candidate that far the left, you know, if you look at political science research, is less likely to win like that. Like, you can make that case too, but less You're your point is no one knows. The thing that angers me about the Abdual electability question is no one is willing to just say what they mean by it. It is, like, is your argument that he's too far left in what positions is it he's too far left on is it his position in Israel? The polling would suggest.
Speaker 2: That right where the American people is right.
Speaker 1: There the is it medicare for all now popular? It is popular now if you if you did like Metacare for all can become much less popular over time. If if it's advertising against right like that, that could be potentially be a vulnerable But no one wants to say that because the Democratic base is very understandably supports medicare for all? Is it because he campaign with a s on Piker maybe, like you want to make that argument, Like in the in the data for Progress me May poll, only twenty percent of Democratic primary voters knew her a Suntpiker was. But you can put it. You can put it in ads, you can put what Hassan said, You don't have to know who he is. Is it because his name is Abdullah al said? Is that? What it is?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: What the reason is? No one wants to like that's the subtext of a lot of this, and no one wants but no one will actually say that, And that I would say, coming this from a very personal view, because that was always the argument. You know, then when you say he has some in veted. He hasn't been veted. He hasn't been vetted. That's what they said about brock Custain Obama too often, right after they called him broacastin Obama, and like, I don't know who's more electable. I always wish people would just be honest about what they actually think about why he's less more electable. Hailey Stevens did flip a Republican district in twenty eighteen. She performed exactly like a generic Democrat in twenty twenty four. I think I use the split ticket wins of a replacement rating, but I think she's like at point she's a like point three, I think better than everyone, but basically the same, like it's not a proven winner, and like it's to your point, as we don't.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to defend Hailey Stevens Sarah because I do not think she is the right candidate for this moment in any number of ways. But I will say a lot of the criticism of her about being unelectable or like being a bad candidate. Yes, is so sexist, one hundred so so sexist, and like we should we should also say that because this is going to be a challenge, especially as women keep running, which they will like. It is very hard in this modern information ecosystem for women to run because you have to be telegenic, you have to speak a certain way, you have to sound a certain way. Where do you perform your authenticity as a woman, Like if she did some of the videos, or even if Mallory had done some of the videos that Abdul has done, they would have been mocked endlessly. It never would have been on the table. So she is not the right candidate for this moment, I think for any number of reasons. But the criticism of her has been deeply sexist.
Speaker 1: There's this video that was circulating that has been got that has gotten I think ten million views of her, and she's at an organizing rally and she is in a very emphatic Michigan accent, is talking about how she's gonna fight for Michigan and that like that is like that's become like this become a thing. But my guess is most people see that and have no reaction to it. You know, it's a rot online thing, and you know the actually I have Bias series and supported Mallory. But Mallory made some of those videos that uh theres are are not dissimilar to the ones that abduels.
Speaker 5: May have torn to smithereens yeah on the internet for sure, like whether it ow at actual trip but I have no idea, but was just absolutely and so like that's why this one is so.
Speaker 1: Complicated and it's and then sitting here on top of it is Israel and Gaza, where Abdul has been incredibly outspoken as oupposed eight israel Is called it genocide. Hailey Stevens has been, you know, been a big has been supported by APAC. She when she won her primary in twenty twenty two, she was a She got a ton of funding from APAC. APAC has I said, spent all this money and here there is how do you think about APAX role in this in the role Israel's playing. Let's start with Michigan that I'm gonna expand it out to everything else when this campaign is all said and done. It seems like eighty percent of the funding at least of her campaign, at least while was on air funding tv ads is going to be paid for by one specific interest group. I don't know that I've ever seen them before. I've seen super PACs put a lot of money in races, Like in the Iowa primary, Josh Turk got a whole bunch of money from vote vets. That money really seemed to have come from the ds, from the Senate majority super pac world. And it's like a mix of different different grips. But here you have one specific group with a specific policy agenda spending this much more of candidate. I have you ever seen anything like this before? It seems concerning it.
Speaker 2: The only thing that maybe comes close is the way that AI was spending money in the New York congressional races. Yeah, but even that was like not to the same extent. And I saw really interesting polling in particular about the Michigan Democratic primary voters. Apak has a net negative forty six favorability rating. Seventy eight percent of Michigan Democratic primary voters said they'd be less likely to vote for a Senate candidate backed by Apak eighty six percent they'd be less likely to vote for a candidate who supports continued funding for Israel's war in Gaza. This is toxic for them. I think it's telling that most of their ads do not talk about ISRAELI.
Speaker 1: Never never mentioned.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, this is a both a question of policy, but it's also a question of morals. I think we have seen now that the way that candidates engage on what's happening at Gaza has become a moral litmus test of do you have the sense of conscience to call what's happening a genocide and to want to push policy away from enabling it. We just saw the vote earlier this week where House Democrats a record number of them, including a number of sorts like I did not expect Nancy Pelosi WHI yes, yeah, like things are and they are good because that is where voters are. Voters see this as a crisis of conscience, and they know that they want their leaders to push back. I also think that the way that APAC is spending in this speaks to the larger, very negative feelings people have about the role of money in politics, and it has become the ultimate boogeyman for you know, someone is trying to buy the election and drown out your voice. Not great.
Speaker 1: Back on Michigan for a second. One question I have is is APAC going to support Hailey Stevens in the general against Mike Rogers, Because right now she is, she has raised, she has struggled to raise money. You know, you have James Tallerico raising you know, record numbers, you have John ASoft raising record numbers. Have duel raised I think one of the four million dollars this last quarter. Again they're Democratic Cannists are raised lots of money. Hailey Stevens has struggled to raise grassroots money, which really matters because big dollar Democratic donations are down in the Would you have more people willing to give ten fifty hundred bucks in fear of people willing to write seven thousand dollars per couple maxed out checks? And so if you can't raise grassroots money and a pack is not going to maybe they will be there. But it's I just is she better than Mike Rogers for them? I don't know, but that like, that's a question. And obviously if she's nominee, the Senate super PACs, the ten Democrats superpacs can supplement. But that's money's coming out of somewhere else. That's money that's not going to Iowa or Alaska or Texas or somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I think it's a really good question. And I also think APAC has shown not the smartest of strategies.
Speaker 1: They've elected a lot of anti Israel Democrats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like, even if you think beyond this, they have not created space for a political home for people who maybe aren't as far left as where DSA is, but also aren't where a pack is in a way that they're not thinking beyond the next three months. And I think it is really dangerous for the future of our democracy in many ways because of how much money they're able to spend and how threatening it has become.
Speaker 1: The vote of the House, it is proud of many people may not been tracking this over the years, but the idea that one hundred Democrats would vote, the idea that ten Democrats would vote against eight to Israel, the idea that Nancy Pelosi and the Member of the House Leaderhi would vote against eight to Israel is would have been impossible to imagine. Impossible. You maybe get one Thomas Massey and what the democratic quival was, Thomas Massy or a rampall, Like the idea that people would do this in masses impossible imagine? It does speak. And this is the downside of APEX in the Israeli governments. Allegiance sort of alliance with Republicans in most cases is if Democrats take the majority, how would a speaker keep Jefferies even be able to get like it seems like that's the end of the ball game. Like I don't know how you can even bring that bill forward.
Speaker 2: I do not envy his job.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's change.
Speaker 2: I do think like one of the things that the broader activist movement needs to really think about is like, how do you welcome these newcomers in how do you you know better late to the party than not coming to this party at all? When it comes to this issue, the point of persuasion is to get people to agree with you. And I do you think there is still some stickiness around, like well, you wouldn't say genocide early enough? You didn't you know, you didn't like call it out two years ago. It's like if I do it now, that's that is better than never, And that is the point of this work. And so I do want to like just plant that seat of as we keep growing this coalition, like how do we make sure it feels like one that can continue in a way that is welcoming.
Speaker 1: The way this issue is going to hang out. The twenty twenty eight Democratic primary, and the amount of people who were going to come maybe lately to be against funding or to college Jenisa, all those things is going. It's just I just mentioned this to Favrell last week or two weeks ago, that we were one year away from the what's likely the first Democratic primary debate. Yep, so horrifying.
Speaker 2: No lie down and never get up.
Speaker 1: I know, I know.
Speaker 6: Hey Dan Tabirski here, I'm a podcast host, a journalist, and now with my newest project, the author of my own manifesto. Well, it's a manifesto about manifestos, my search for inspiration and a world that feels more infuriating, more out of its freaking mind with each passing hour. Manifestos are a call to action, an artful scream. They capture our anger and they try to do something with it. This is my attempt to take the manifesto back from mass shooters and nihilists, then return it to its rightful place with the warriors, the visionaries, the regular folks with just the right amount of crazy. I compare notes with radicals, secessionists, Internet rolls out for a laugh, and punk singers screaming their guts out, all trying to turn their anger into the world they want to see. Listen to Manifesto wherever you get your podcasts. Audible subscribers can binge all episodes of Manifesto early and ad free right now join Audible and the Audible app, or by subscribing on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about run for Something right, and we talk about because it Run for Something, which you started after Trump one in twenty sixteen. It is always the example I use of how really smart, committed people can make real change without ever asking anyone for permission to do so. You've had a tremendous impact over the last I mean, you've never been doing this for a long time.
Speaker 2: We are year eight, nine and a half, maybe ten years in January.
Speaker 1: Just it'll because it'll also be I mean, you started an organization and we've got thousands of people to run. I started a podcast, you know, Teach the Throne. I guess because because we're on year nine of patse American now at so you hit it at this earlier, but I want to put a finer point on it. After Trump won this time, there were much digital ink was spilled around the idea that the resistance was dead, and so there was some anecdotal evidence for that. There was no women's march. There was you know, you saw you know, you know, no one had protest as a new brunch signs out. There was less protesting. No one rushed to the airports when the next version of the Muslim band was signed. But run for something was a bit different, Like you just had a different experience after Trump won. Talked to me a little bit about the enthusiasm you've seen.
Speaker 2: So right after Trump one, we started seeing thousands of people raise their hands to run for office. Eighteen months later, it's over one hundred thousand people who signed up to run for office since then, more than we had in the since twenty twenty four, more than we had in the entirety of Trump's first term. As I said earlier last year, we had I think a sixty percent win rate. On election day, we had a night where we elected both a DSA affiliated candidate to the Atlanta City Council and a former Republican who left the party after January sixth to a rural county commission in Pennsylvania. We have built the tent that is tight on values and flexible on policy, and has now elected more than just about seventeen hundred young people across forty nine states plus DC, including many that are now running for higher office, like James Tallerico, like Mallory mcmurrow, but also like Francesca hang in Wisconsin, like Sarah McBride in Delaware, and so many others who are I think the future of the Democratic Party. And that's not ideologically like pure however you want to find it. It is people who love their communities, who want to solve problems, who want to speak to their neighbors, and who are willing to do so in a way that is authentic and genuine and connected and fun. And it makes me so hopeful and excited at a moment where like most of the Democratic Party does not. But I really do believe we are on the brink of a tipping point where the party is going to be more run for something alone than not. It is going to be more leaders who look like our folks than not. And that's a good thing, I think for sure.
Speaker 1: It's what's encouraging about it is we are party as gerontocracy, you know, and there are so many reasons for this. You know, it is you know, we went you know Democrats often picked the next person in line, and then Obama skipped the line, and then we went back to the back of the line, and then went further back of the line with Hillary and Biden. And and then we also had the twenty ten elections, which gutted like a big chunk of the party because we lost so many seats in the posts in the in the redistrict day after and then first and twenty ten in that election, and then and there are so many of our state legislative candidates and state legislative state legislators were redistricted out in that redistricting, and then we lost again and we were just like, we lost a lot of the middle and so you guys have helped bring up the like we missed a middle generation and now we have a younger generation coming up. Are there some particular candidates this cycle that you were excited about that people should know about?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's so many. Caitlin is running for Iowa State Senate. She won a special election in twenty twenty five. She broke the Iowa Republican supermajority. She flipped the seat Trump had carried by ten points. She is now defending that seat this November. So excited about her. Julia Salinas, who's running for Texas State House. This is like probably the genuine toss up in the Texas House district. He's the grandson of migrant farm workers. He came from behind in a three way March primary and then one then may run off by eleven points against a more establishment backed candidate. This is in the Rio Grande Valley. It's in a seat that Trump carried by Jess I think like a point and a half in twenty twenty four. So exciting. Chris Thomas in Pennsylvania State Senate. He is a former public school teacher. He's a volunteer firefighter. He's up against a first term Republican senator. We're trying to flip that chamber there, so he is phenomenal. Michael Ferguson who's running for Florida State House in Broward County. He's an active duty Air Force judge advocate. Was served as one of the youngest special trial councils in Air Force history. He's an attorney. This is the only legislative district in Broward County, which is very democratic, that is still held by Republicans. So it is a top target to pick up in the Florida State House. You know, I could go on and on. We have hundreds of candidates up this yere one hundred thousand. As you said, it's going to be good, guys, it's going to be good.
Speaker 1: So the party with we did a lot of thinking after Trump one in twenty sixteen. One of the things that sort of everyone came, you know to the two late conclusion was is the Democrats did not pay enough attention to down ballot racist I do really to think that that focus shifted in the first Trump era. The you know, obviously there's you guys, there was sister district that you know swing left individual everyone is like, really, you know, working hard to win on these races, lots of focus on Secretary of States and uh in governor's races in the way of January sixth, and trying to protect election integrity. Do you feel like there is the party apparatus, the donor world, the activist world, the people with platforms are have maintained that focus and Trump two point zero or if we lost a little bit because we're sort of obsessed with Trump again, we have.
Speaker 2: Lost a little bit, I would say in particular the donor world. And I will be very honest, like everyone who's not running for a House or Senate this year, that can't Like, if you're not a House or Senate candidate, you are probably struggling, like grown for something. We're doing okay, but we have had to be really careful stewards of our resources and like, just to put a really fine point on this, you know, Run for Something's budget is eight million dollars a year. Just about the Republican counterpart to run for Something. It's called the Leadership Institut. It has been around for thirty some odd years. It has a fifty million dollar a year annual budget. I think I could have candidate recruitment offices in every state and be doing year round recruit Like, I cannot imagine what I would do with fifty million dollars a year. It is the kind of abundance mindset around we can do it all that the Democratic Party just does not seem to operate from.
Speaker 1: So is that a scarcity of people want to write those checks? Or are those just checks going to the wrong place?
Speaker 2: A little bit of cave, a little bit of colbe So some of it is like we don't have enough rich people or you know, our grassroots donors are very excited about some of the Senate races and not as excited about some of the infrastructure because it's not as flashy and not as exciting, and really big checks still go to places that run tv ads or you know this right now, it's like creator stuff. And that's not to say that's not important, but that stuff ceases to exist after election day. Run for something, and so many of other our partners on the ground, we're doing this real locally driven work that happens like candidate recruitment for twenty twenty six happened in twenty twenty five. The recruitment that we are doing now for say the Louisiana and Mississippi state legislative races, which are going to be critical because of how they've redistricted these states and blowing up the Voting Rights Act. That recruitment happens now. So if you are not funding things year round and sustaining this work with multi year giving, multi month giving, it is impossible to do in the way that it is the most effective and efficient.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just so fascinating because I spent a lot of time over the last nine years now, I guess talking to donors about like, my big thing has always been investing in media infrastructure, right that we need to do law, medium and long term investments in content creation, media, protomocracy, media, you know my newsletter, Criquetts, you know, correct, it's all these things, but just beyond our stuff. Just generally Republicans have investing in stuff for a la ads. We don't. And you're talking to very smart people who have made a lot of money in their life making good investments, And it's just I've never been able to figure out why when you talk to them about investments that pay out over time is less appealing than the short term, one time use of money on largely television ads, like think about how much money was spent, Like you want your fifty million dollars, Your fifty million dollars can be found in two weeks of superPAC ads.
Speaker 2: Yep, if I think about it too much, I will I won't get out of bed in the morning.
Speaker 1: Oh I want to, I'm saying, I know, I don't want. I want you to be able to continue get out of bed. You have a very poorn job and you have children, so I think it's important that you get out of bed. But I want anyone listening who has those sort of resources to think about even if you could get let's say you could double from eight to sixteen, or get to half of that fifty, it's just one truly one week of television ads in Texas.
Speaker 2: Is my entire budget?
Speaker 1: Is your entire budget?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: And you know, to get to the beginning of the conversation we talked about, like, candidate recruitment is stage zero of winning an election. If you want better TV ads, if you want the megaphone that we're building around media and creators to have something good to amplify, like it starts with getting really good people to run in as many places as possible. We work in all fifty states. We also have a long term vision for what we think the attle grounds could be and might be in twenty thirty and twenty thirty two. We're doing intensive recruitment in these places. We're providing candidates with the skills and tools they need to win their races. Like why don't why don't I have fifty million dollars? I don't know ask the billionaires. I do know that the work is working, that there's such demand for our work and that I am so proud of what we have built, and I think it's going to keep paying off. Because the nice thing about candidate recruitment in particular is when one person wins that like against the odds race, and when one person makes history, dozens and dozens or hundreds or thousands more like them say you know what, maybe I can do this too.
Speaker 1: That is very hopeful place to add this. But before I let you go, just in case we have a billionaire or someone who maybe works one of these AI companies going public, who's about to be a billionaire, and they would like to help you get to your well deserved fifty million dollar budget. Where can they give you money?
Speaker 2: Run for something? Dot net you can look out look us up. You can also find any of our other entities. And I should say, if any of your listener want to run for office, it is probably too late for twenty twenty six. It is definitely not too early for twenty twenty seven or twenty twenty eight. You can go to run for what. Dot night you can look up where you might want to run.
Speaker 1: Amanda Littman always great to talk to you. I always leave these conversations smarter and a little bit more optimistic. So this is great.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, Dan, Thanks.
Speaker 1: To Amada Lipman for coming on. John, John and Tommy will be backing your Feet on Tuesday. By everyone.
Speaker 4: Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Afari, with Ree Jerlin, Elijah Cohne and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Hepcot, Jordan Kanter, Charlotte Landis Kirol pel Avieve, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East