Speaker 1: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 2: Let's clean a random grave.
Speaker 3: Who do you think is buried here? Let's clean it and find out.
Speaker 4: I have so many questions.
Speaker 2: How old is this grave? It looks like it's been here for five hundred years? How this gravee gets so dirty? We there's a tree growing out of it.
Speaker 5: I love plants.
Speaker 2: This transformation is extremely hard for me, but I believe everyone deserves a beautiful grave.
Speaker 4: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature.
Speaker 4: Part eighte part mass in Luckness, a twenty four mile long, bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 5: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 3: Monster Talk. Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 4: This episode deals with death and cemeteries. The audio at the top of this episode was from a YouTube video, one in a series and of an entire class of cleaning videos that we'll be discussing in today's chat. The title of the episodes a play on the original title of Edwoods film Plan nine from Outer Space. The original title was Grave Robbers from Outer Space. And since we'll be discussing grave rubbing and the Internet, I decided to.
Speaker 3: Call it grave rubbers from cyberspace.
Speaker 4: Now, you may find the term cyberspace sounds a bit dated, and before we started calling it the Internet or the net or that digital hell that I can't escape, it was also called the Information super Highway, and of course cyberspace and the term cyberspace was coined by William Gibson around nineteen eighty two. But that word itself is derived from cybernetics, which was coined by the mathematician Norbert Wiener in the nineteen forties to describe a field of study of communication and systems control, and that got a lot of content overlap with Claude Shannon's information theory. Now, Wiener was naming the idea after the Greek word kibernetes, which means a ship's helm or governor, which is also where we get the word gubernatorial. And if you're in it, you'll know there's a popular software package called Kubernetes which is used to manage our govern server instances of what we call containerized applications. You don't need to know any of that for the episode, but I always find it interesting to see a word rise and fall in usage, and to note how the meaning changes over time. For instance, right now everyone in the media is calling large language models by the letters A and I, but AI researchers would not.
Speaker 3: Classify them this way.
Speaker 4: It's sloppy and misleading, and there is nothing we can do to fix it, because that's how language works. Language does not bow before leaders. It does not stay in tidy containers. It describes the ebb and flow of ideas an effort to constrain it, or like ordnance against storm or earthquake. But I love dusting off a formerly popular word and taking it around the block, or maybe scrubbing it down with pink foam and then creating it around TikTok hmm, maybe not mobstrtal.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us all tonight. Hey Matt, welcome back. Thank you, Karen.
Speaker 4: As always, you know this is this is your topic. I'm excited and I've sort of put I put peanut butter in the chocolate, or I put chocolate and the peanut butter.
Speaker 3: Because as soon as you said that you wanted to.
Speaker 4: Talk about this online culture around grave cleaning.
Speaker 3: I immediately went to and what about grave rubbing?
Speaker 4: Because I did that in the eighties and that's really relevant.
Speaker 1: Oh you did. I didn't know you ever did it. I know it was.
Speaker 5: It's been a thing on and off, and there could be some confusion here. So yeah, we're going to talk about a couple of different things. So grave cleaning and grave rubbing, but not robbing.
Speaker 1: That's another day, exactly. No grave robbing.
Speaker 3: I'm planning grave rubbers from cyberspace. That's my plan. Nine tie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: T lovely lovely.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, this is a kind of complicated topic. But I came across an article in The Conversation and it was about people who clean the Conversations. Okay, so it is a kind of an online magazine, I guess, and they say something about their journalistic flair and academic rigor. So it is that there are articles written by scholars academics, but they are written for a general audience.
Speaker 1: So I do tend.
Speaker 5: I've written for them before, not about this topic, and so this article came up for me and I thought this sounds interesting. And we've treated a lot of cemetery law and topics surrounding cemeteries in the past.
Speaker 2: So I'm sorry, Can I interrupt for one second? Karen, I'm so sorry. I just need to ask Blake. When a statement such as academic rigor is said in a topic about cemeteries, do you have any puns that come to mind?
Speaker 1: Because, oh, don't encourage him.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I was sitting here waiting to do something with rigor mortis, if that's what you're asking.
Speaker 2: Yes, I just couldn't find it. I couldn't find a clean way to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, no, rigor mortis was I was just sitting here waiting. It was loaded up, ready to go. No, you're absolutely on point there.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm so sorry with this stupid.
Speaker 3: She's stiff delivery.
Speaker 5: There it has begun. So yeah, this article, i'd encourage people to go and read it. Grave cleaning videos are going viral on TikTok. Are they honoring the dead or exploiting them? So, yeah, this is a trend and there are a number of people who are doing this, but they're doing this in different ways. So the article cites a woman named Alicia Williams of Virginia, and so her angle is more as a kind of historian. She restores headstones and she cleans them.
Speaker 1: So we're going to get into that shortly.
Speaker 5: But the other side of the coin is a woman by the name of Kaylee Mae McEwan. So her style it's a little bit more click bait.
Speaker 1: I guess we can say yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: Now she's known as the clean Girl. And it's so funny because I read this article and I said, hey, Matt, we're going to watch the Clean Girl on YouTube, and so we've got off one of her videos and then blade nine year old walks past is like the clean Girl.
Speaker 1: So this is such a thing.
Speaker 5: That even nine year olds know who'she she is. And she has four point two million followers on TikTok and her video that she puts out she gets millions of views. I mean upwards of seventy million views per video. So this is a real thing. So her technique, it is a little bit questionable. So again, this Alicia Williams, she does consult with the families, I believe, and she works in with them, gets their permission, works in with the caretakers at the cemeteries as well. But this Kaylee McEwan, the Clean Girl. She has a kind of pink spiky ball. Now did you watch any of these videos?
Speaker 3: Like I can never get that time back, Yes I did.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm going with it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, did you notice that she had no disclaimers about I talked to the cemetery, I told, oh, yeah, yeah, no, no, no, there was no disclaimers at all.
Speaker 4: And I mean to be to be fair to her. She is the clean girl, not just the graveyard clean girl. So she also cleans bathrooms and other stuff, you know, a really nasty job, which is fine, but when you get into cemeteries and people's remains, there's a lot of cultural norms, you.
Speaker 3: Know, that that can be violated here.
Speaker 4: And I think something about her tight fitting exercise gear and bright pink soap and the rolling the ball to find Whi's grave is going to be grace with her, you know, cleaning uh yeah.
Speaker 1: Magic foam. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just fine, it just I I can't explain why I've been thinking about this for days now, why I find this so cringe worthy.
Speaker 3: But I totally find it cringeworthy.
Speaker 4: And part of it is I think I don't know what's in her soap, and like the preservationist to me is concerned that she's not using you know, cemetery safe materials, you know, But well that's just me.
Speaker 5: I don't know, well you are, You are right that she does clean things other than gravestones. And I saw a video that came up and it was her cleaning a public restaurant, a restroom in KFC for free. So she's really out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's another thing she says, though it's for free, and this video only got forty million views.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for free, except for you know free, She's okay, just not by the venue right now.
Speaker 2: So there was a lot of clickbait going on. But whatever it is, her business is working. You know, she's doing well with her business. But we do have to be a question.
Speaker 5: Well, she does have her outfit and everything, and we don't want to shame her or anything like that.
Speaker 1: That's not what we're talking about.
Speaker 5: But I think it's more a matter of that she doesn't seek permission from the cemetery. She doesn't seek permission from the families. Now, she has been accused of over zealously editing some of her work as well, so I guess we should go back to what she does. So, as you said, she's got the pink spiky ball and she goes to a cemetery and she just rolls the ball and it hits a particular grave, and so it's meant to be a random thing.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if that's reality or not.
Speaker 5: I don't know if she chooses a grave that she wants to work with, or chooses maybe a person or a family that have a story that she wants to treat. But she throws this ball lands there, and then she cleans the grave, and sometimes that can take her five six hours. Sometimes she's doing it in scorching hot sun. Other times she's cleaning at night at.
Speaker 3: Night, which is super weird to me.
Speaker 4: I mean, not because it's scary, but just because the implication is she's sneaking in there doing well.
Speaker 2: And we don't know how that's going to affect her soul.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I don't know that.
Speaker 5: You're right, Yeah, could get an attachment and leave and take a ghost home.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure that therapy that pink foam will take care of that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks a little nuclear. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, Karen, you said something there that I was wondering if do we know this for sure? Do we know that she's not asking permission or is she just not promoting that she does?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I do not know that, and again she's accused of a lot of different things like questionable editing and people saying that there are lots of privacy issues surrounding this.
Speaker 1: So honestly, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Watching these, you would assume anyway that she's just doing this randomly because she talks about cleaning the graves of strangers. So I just don't think she's getting permissioned. And when she goes in and does this at night, she's jumping at every noise that she hears, so it just doesn't seem like she's got permission.
Speaker 1: I just heard something weird? Is that a ghost?
Speaker 3: It was not a ghost. I accidentally clicked the link.
Speaker 2: They would tell her. They would say, you could, you could clean these ones, but do not touch these ones. You can do this, but you can't do that, And they would be giving her, you know, a lot of rules and guidance that she probably doesn't even want to say that she you know, follows, you know, I we know how it is to be accused of things online. I know that my coworker accuses me of stealing his stapler every day, and it does not matter that my stuff is impeccably stapled.
Speaker 7: They've moved my desk four times already this year. And I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels and they were married. But then they switched from the swing line to the buston Stafler. But I kept my swing line stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the swing line stapler.
Speaker 2: The thing is is it doesn't always just because she's being accused of it doesn't necessarily mean that she's guilty.
Speaker 5: I think there are kind of indicators that she's not seeking permission. And again, because she talks about cleaning the graves of strangers, she's doing this at night, and I just don't think that she'd get permissioned from any cemetery or any council to go.
Speaker 1: And do that.
Speaker 5: I know in Australia there are some cemeteries that are just open all the time, but it seems to be more of a trend here that you have locks and gates and hours usually from I guess sunrise to sunset that cemeteries are open. So I just really can't talk to that, but it is I think the assumption in this article is that Alicia Williams is doing this, she does get permission. She tells the stories and the history of these people and their families and their life experiences and what happened to them. And we're not getting that with the clean Well. Instead, she's kind of cracking jokes and making assumptions about people, and I mean, I'm just really not getting respect from.
Speaker 2: Maybe we ought to keep an eye on this because of the fact that for someone who has four point two million followers, she's got a ton millions and millions of views on each video. That makes her a huge target. So if somebody wanted to come after her with any kind of lawsuit or anything like that, she is a prime target for that. And if she is doing things she shouldn't be, we will see that. So I would rise open too.
Speaker 5: I would add too that from the examples I've seen, we're talking about people who died quite some time ago to so we're not talking.
Speaker 1: About recent interments. We're talking about people.
Speaker 2: We're still talking about the cemetery.
Speaker 3: Well, the cemetery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the fact that the graves she claims tend to be the most unkept, which implies there's no next of kin, there's no next to kin, nobody's taking a look at it, so you know, they don't care.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 4: I mean she her brand is perky and bubbly, I guess, and like quite literally bubbly with that pink stuff.
Speaker 1: She's very pink.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean she's got that girl next door in a you know, tracksuit, you know, or type fitting exercise gear kind of vibe. So I mean, I I don't think a cemetery in a cemetery, I don't think it's hyper sexualized or anything like that.
Speaker 3: But I mean she's definitely going for the cute thing. Yeah, yeah, she is.
Speaker 5: And I would venture to say that's why she has so many followers and so many of her videos are watched as.
Speaker 1: Much as they are.
Speaker 5: But that's a good point anyway. Talking about the magic foam, Now, it's funny. I always hear late he does something, he says, oh, that's so satisfying, and she does that too. She has this magic foam. She calls it pink foamy cleanser, and she has marketed this. So this stuff maybe it's twenty nine nine five, I think a pop and she is making a mozza from selling this and from all of her social media accounts.
Speaker 1: But it is this bubblegum pink.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 4: It's impressive that it doesn't stain the stone. Honestly, I'm surprised. So that's that's good.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the hell's in it.
Speaker 5: What I guess was outlawed by the government in this country a red dive sometimes. But the funny thing is she has been accused too of editing and that the foam is a different color blue or something like that. I've seen it using different colored lenses as well, and I don't know if that's I mean, she is doing layer upon layer of this, and that is another complaint. This conversation piece talked about how that could cause damage to the graves.
Speaker 3: Well, and I've.
Speaker 4: Seen her use pressure washer and scrub brushes and other brushes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like, here's the thing, toilet cleaners.
Speaker 4: The stones themselves at cemetery areas are made out of different materials, and some of them are hard and sealed, and some of them are porous and soft, like limestone. Yeah, limestone marble, you know those are pretty and then granite is really hard. But you know that's they really needed to improve tools to make granite monuments, you know, pretty inexpensive so they had to have like really powerful sand blasters and other tools and stuff. So I guess my point is the older the tombstone is, the more likely that they are going to be damaged by a rough cleaning.
Speaker 5: And yeah, and they are filthy, as you say. I mean, they're covered in mold. They're covered in fungus and algae and lichen and things like that. And so one of her claims too, is that she is I'm just trying to find the quote that she says to do. She says that she's giving them their name back. So she because a lot of these you can't even read any longer because they're just so covered in endured and felt and they're that old.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 5: But you know, you do have a lot of culture around cleaning as well. So there is a lot of history of people talking about washing as a kind of ritual or a purification process or preparation for the afterlife and things like that. And there are a lot of people who are doing things that are similar to this too.
Speaker 2: There are even baptism, Yes, that baptism is a washing way of sins.
Speaker 5: Feats, that kind of thing. References to Jesus before he was crucified, but there are other creators who are doing similar things, and I guess they're less hands on. For example, there are a number of people who are very successful at making recipes found on headstones. I think that's such an interesting thing. I mean, I've been to a lot of cemeteries over the years in the course of the things I've done in skepticism, and I've come across a lot of headstones that have a recipe maybe for cookies or a cake that a particular person loved to bake and.
Speaker 3: Wanted to just the last thing, I ate, what could plus bigger wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the salmon.
Speaker 2: Darling.
Speaker 3: You didn't use canned salmon, did you.
Speaker 5: I didn't even eat the salmon moves. So I think that kind of thing is really charming. And I've watched some of these videos and there was a lady who baked a recipe for cookies that was on a headstone. I thought that was really sweet and recorded the process was really honoring that the person who died so but again, that's not physically touching these headstones. I'm assuming this person too did have mission from the families. But again, it's this is a really tricky one because I'm sure that there would be that a lot of these people who are buried there would have living family members, and maybe others wouldn't have been the family line would have died out with that person or with subsequent generations, and so you know, who do you seek permission from?
Speaker 2: From what I've seen? Uh, you know, there there's a lot of issues around this when it comes to like I said that the Lichens and the fun guy and things like that that get on these weaken what.
Speaker 3: Do you think about werewolfs? A lot of Lichens are fun guys.
Speaker 1: A yeah, I was waiting for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, wow, all right, it's it's it is one of those things that that that you know, you've got the it's a balance because you've got these these.
Speaker 2: Funguses and everything that all fun guy already causing damage. Uh, but when you clean all them off, you are clean taking off a bunch of that damage with it, and it looks like even more damage as being because I mean the stone is weakened and everything else. Now when it comes to you know, the cemetery, they if they see that there's these kind of problems going on, they'll reach out and try to locate the surviving family members. You know, from the records and try to let them know if they can't get a hold of them. Different cemeteries have different policies, but they might attempt to repair it themselves. If it's beyond repair, they'll probably just remove it and store it somewhere. So it's kind of one of those things that if it's in a situation where you know, the only other alternative is that they're going to remove it and store it, well, then maybe they might allow her. But if she's not even asking, then she is absolutely violating a lot of these cemeteries policies. But yeah, a lot of times that the cemeteries will replace headstones and stuff like that they can't reach anybody, And it just really depends on the situation and how involved the cemetery is, because you know, we've all been to cemeteries that have no one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well I've been to abandon you know, cemeteries lost in the woods, and that's where too. Now several of her videos she says I found a grave in the woods, and it's like, clearly she's at a.
Speaker 3: Cemetery that's like grown up, it's like it's.
Speaker 4: Got it literally has the sort of Stelli marking out areas of the cemetery. This is not in the middle of a forest that this is in a cemetery that's overgrown.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a.
Speaker 5: Good point too. She never states where she is. She doesn't say what town or city states, what the name of the cemetery is. It's really but she is promoting, you know, her work via on the back of these people and exposing their names, talking about references to when they died and whatever information is on the headstones too, So it is really exposing these people.
Speaker 4: It's it's such a conundrum for someone like me, who I don't think anything happens when we die except we stop living.
Speaker 1: Oh us too, And I just but I still have.
Speaker 4: A tremendous respect for cemeteries and as a representation of lives gone. I mean, I just because their dad doesn't mean they need to be forgotten.
Speaker 3: And so I mean it's history. Yeah, it's histortory right there. And if your work to.
Speaker 4: Preserve history also destroys it, that's really bad. So the vibe is one thing, but is she doing real damage as another? Now I don't know on this case, but I will tell you this. I did some research and I have a couple of pieces of advice if anybody in the audience wants to get involved in symmetry cleaning, because when you watch these videos, it will make you want to clean.
Speaker 3: It really does.
Speaker 4: And that video that you watch, yeah, I mean it looked extraordinarily satisfying. And I actually have family members in rural cemeteries who.
Speaker 3: Do need upkeep.
Speaker 2: Now we're just trying to sound young and hip.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 4: But well, I'll tell you the in your county, are your state, there are historical societies, and there are parks, governance organizations. You can just go to your state or local government and find organizations that deal with cemetery rules and you'll find there there are groups who already want to go help restore cemeteries or keep them maintain cemeteries. Now we're not talking about big modern cemeteries where people pay thousands of dollars and they have regular upkeep.
Speaker 3: These are small parcels.
Speaker 4: These are you know, we're again it's lost memories, lost history where these things are being overgrown.
Speaker 3: Right, They're all over.
Speaker 4: The place in every state as far as I know. But if you want to do this work, seek out the organizations that already have control of that because they are going to give you good guidance and help you avoid an ilegal.
Speaker 3: Problems, right, for that's one thing.
Speaker 4: Second of all, make sure that whatever you do is not going to harm what's still remaining. For example, in Atlanta, we have this huge symmetry called Oakland.
Speaker 3: It's really beautiful.
Speaker 4: It comes from that classic age of massive monuments, beautiful Gilded Age.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: Well, they have groups that preserve and protect the cemetery, but they don't let you just run around and start scrubbing stuff. So they have very careful, organized efforts along those lines. But one of the things they talked about is using a specific kind of cleaner. There's a substance it's literally called a graveyard cleaner. It's called d SLASH two biological solution, and it's designed to be ecologically safe for the monuments and the surrounding landscape. But it will break down and remove layers of moss like in dirt and other environmental pollutants from the air and the rain. You put it on there and then it takes a week to two weeks or sometimes even a month, but it will dissolve all that goo and leave a clean stone. And then they also recommend once you get it started and cleaned, you just come back and retreat it once a year. And I'll put a link to that in the show notes because Oakland, not to the cleaning solush, but to the story I took that from.
Speaker 1: It's easy.
Speaker 2: You have to find these slash too, But that sounds satisfying. Yeah, to have something clean like that without having to really do anything.
Speaker 8: Yeah, to be ecologically safe, ethically safe to preserving the stone, and relatively easy to just keep it going by coming back once a year. The stuff is fifty dollars a gallon, but you water it down so it's not pink.
Speaker 3: Sorry, yeah, never mind, never mind, Yeah, I forget, forget everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, speaking about colors, I was going to say something, Matt, you want to I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, Blake, you said that you had done grave rubbing.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, well it was a thing. I mean it was a thing. Yeah. I talked to my wife and she goes, oh, yeah, we did that.
Speaker 4: We went to Savannah and like you know, had to like rub old tombstones in one of the Savannah cemeteries. There's some beautiful ones in Savannah too.
Speaker 1: But bon a Venture we've talked about that.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely and unfortunately, well or maybe fortunately, depending how you look at it. Savannah has now banned that you have to get special permission to take a grave rubbing legally right. They basically just banned it completely. And the reason this led me down a rabbit hole and I never could find what I considered to be a satisfactorily definitive answer, because the question was is grave rubbing detrimental to the tombstone? And the answer it varies all over the country. There's different people who have different opinions. The general idea that you could take a piece of paper, put it on a stone and rub it with a crayon and that would somehow damage the stone sounds crazy to me, but I'm used. I'm used to newer stones that are not fragile, and where they've been banned pretty widespread is in New England, where the stones are often made out of much softer and much older stones like slate, you know, which is fading fast and you know old marble, these things, and they are thin upright stones, and if you're pressing on them, you could easily make them tip over and then break, which would absolutely be that you know, if you're dealing with slate in particular, that's oh my gosh, it's so fragile.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But so if you're in Massachusetts, I would say don't try this because it does appear to be illegal there. Same in Savannah, and there's take your local ordinances, is what I'm getting at.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say that you would want to chick in with local authorities about it because it's going to really be a state driven thing. And I looked into it in Australia to where a lot of those headstones for white people in terms of burial grounds, they're going to be no when you're as old as some of the ones that you'll have here in some parts of the country, so they're going to be going back a couple of hundred years. So it doesn't seem like there are any specific laws in Australia that's implicitly prohibit brave rubbing, but at the same time it seems to be considered to be disrespectful and it's really discouraged by a lot of cemetery authorities. So they want you to seek out prior mission and to document and photograph headstones and to do that instead of actually rubbing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's been the alternative that I've personally gone for. It's been photography, and it's I think it's fantastic because you get a much better representation of it. Yeah, it's not as satisfying though.
Speaker 4: I even saw sites recommending you get a higher end iPhone and do a light our scan. I'm like, Okay, yeah, that's not happening. But I mean it does sound very cool though, yeah it does.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I still I have mixed feelings about this because again.
Speaker 4: I did grave rubbing, and I know a lot of people who are into genealogy like to, and I used to be.
Speaker 3: You used to see it on people's walls.
Speaker 4: You'd come into their houses and they'd have framed, you know, stones from their own family or whatever, you know, these rubbings.
Speaker 3: And I haven't seen that in years.
Speaker 4: And I'm just wondering when it kind of died out, because it does not seem to be nearly.
Speaker 3: As popular as it used to be.
Speaker 5: But I'm wondering, well, this is still a popular thing to some extent. And what I find interesting is are the people who have websites about this, and they do this because.
Speaker 1: They're historians or folklorists or.
Speaker 5: Something like that, and when they do tell you the story of the person that is buried beneath. And some of these sites that I've looked at have been very touching too. And I remember reading about one little boy who was six years old and died on Christmas Day back in nineteen thirty five, died of meningitis. So we should probably put some kind of content warning in this episode too, some of the nature some of the things we're talking about. I do think it's really important. This is one thing that the clean Girl does not do, and that is she doesn't talk about the family. She doesn't talk about the history or to present these peoples as people any longer or who once lived lives. It's really just a kind of an object.
Speaker 1: She's kind of defined them and what.
Speaker 2: She's doing she does, but only if she can do it in acutey way.
Speaker 3: Right, I would just.
Speaker 4: Say this, I would be dead, so it wouldn't matter. But if she came in to change my bedpan or like help me in a nursing home and was that perky, I would lose my mind.
Speaker 2: Just go away, leave me to my misery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm old. I can't take your level of happiness stop it.
Speaker 5: I do think that the point with this should be, you know, no matter what you're doing, whether it's grave cleaning or rubbing, that you should be honoring these people.
Speaker 1: And Matt and I have had a lot of.
Speaker 5: Experiences dealing with various ghost hunting groups and going on cemetery tours that where they really do show some terrible disrespect.
Speaker 3: You helped me.
Speaker 4: Let me do your story just a second, give me just you gave me the perfect words. I've been trying to wrap my words around my feelings and I couldn't get there. It's performative and disingenuous. That's the vibe she gives me. Nicely said, yeah, you just helped me get those words wrapped around my feelings. So now I have that, you can go back. So I do want to hear your story.
Speaker 5: I think that really reflects our feelings too from watching some of her videos. But yeah, some of these dodgy cemetery practices that Matt and I have seen. We went on a ghost tour of a cemetery in Manitou Springs.
Speaker 1: It's kind of what near Colorado Springs.
Speaker 4: But Yes, and managecent Rings did a dwarf pop out of a lady's back and attack Tony Curtis with lasers.
Speaker 5: And again that's another episode, I think. But Matt, do you want to tell the story of how we came across this group?
Speaker 2: I really want to do a dotes on nine two. Anyway we should. Yeah. So, yes, we heard that this group was going to be doing these tours and we decided, well, let's sign up and go.
Speaker 5: Well, you were actually contacted by some of the members of the board, yes, of.
Speaker 2: The board, the cemetery board, yes, and they were concerned about what was going on, you know, while this group was doing this, because nobody from the cemetery was there at the time to really monitor them, and they were a little concerned. So they did let us know about it. So we went down there, and you know, we're allowed to come along. Of course, the people given the tour did not know who we were, which is always fun to be under cover. So we had to pay yes, well actually actually we didn't. We had tickets, but we didn't have to pay because they the Cemetery Board, took care of that. But we uh got down there. Karen's wearing flip flops and everything, and The first thing they let us know is about all the rattlesnakes that we could come across in the cemetery. So she is like, why the f am I here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we had to sign disclaimers to to say if we got bitten that we wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Sue them anything or die going downhill from here.
Speaker 3: I thought you would just fill at home, not with rattlesnakes.
Speaker 4: In Australia, we keep the rattlesnakes and check with our spiders.
Speaker 2: It was a brown snake or something to be fine'd.
Speaker 1: Be best friends. But rattlesnakes.
Speaker 3: They're so noisy.
Speaker 1: But we we were warned about that.
Speaker 5: And I mean there was absolutely no history on this tour whatsoever. It was just all ghost stories and the people people were recordings.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, there was a lot of the typical ghost hunting shenanigans going on. But they would come up to a headstone that had a name that sounded maybe the least bit ethnic, and they would say, oh, she was a witch.
Speaker 1: You know, and yes I forgot that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get some kind of crappy thing there. And then you know, in between all this is there's there's no restrooms on the tours, so we just asked that you don't urinate on the graves.
Speaker 7: Mmmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, well yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: But yeah, we heard about people who were stealing as souvenirs trinkets that were left on graves, so things like little toys or flags or just moments too's other things and turning them around selling them on eBay e'ss that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: There's been quite a big market for that sort of thing for haunted supposed haunted objects. A lot of TV.
Speaker 5: Shows that we've discussed in the past where they do that kind of thing. So, yeah, there was they were allowing a lot of things to go on there that were doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are, we're extremely disrespectful and criminal.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well we talked about that on the stole Kansas grave where or the cemetery where they think there's the folklore has it there's a gateway to Hell there and people will go there there is no gate and they get disappointed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Kansas. Are saying that there's some truth to it.
Speaker 4: What Kansas is No, No, kan It was a lovely town. It did leave me feeling a little flat, but I mean it was a lovely town.
Speaker 3: But no, they had it. They they were because of the folklore, really have trouble speaking. Because of the folklore.
Speaker 4: People were going there expecting Satan to appear on Halloween night. He never appeared, but they would get mad and they would break tombstones and steal tombstones and all this stuff. It was like it was a real It was an absolute nightmare because the town still had people who that was their relatives and these vandals.
Speaker 3: Were you know, it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 4: It's also economically challenging because those are very expensive. Uh and you know you don't put it in your budget. Don't forget to replace Grandpa's headstone when the looters come every Halloween.
Speaker 5: So yeah, but with this group anyway, there was a happy ending in that we had them banned wow from doing further to us. Sir, Yes, there we go at.
Speaker 3: That was cool.
Speaker 2: But you know, I have to say that, you know, just visiting cemeteries is you know, in all of the trips we take, we always liked to visit the local cemetery and just you know, cemeteries are just incredibly beautiful and it's such a connection with history that it gives you, it.
Speaker 4: Gives it gives you that interesting sort of snapshot. I mean it's not perfect, but it gives you a nice snapshot of how long have these people been here?
Speaker 5: You know, absolutely, and you might have some recipes as well.
Speaker 4: Well, do you have a recipe in mind, Karen, because I want to put that in the show notes if you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cookies one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll find that and send it.
Speaker 4: Well, this has been I mean, it has been an interesting topic. I mean, I normally we come down on this is real, this fate, but this is more of a question of taste, I guess, ethics, and I'd be interested to get some you know, thoughts from the listeners because we don't usually have these sort of thought provoking episodes where.
Speaker 3: What do you think? But here we are what do you think? I'm really curious, you know.
Speaker 2: Most of the episodes are just cracked.
Speaker 3: No, this one is great.
Speaker 4: I was on it.
Speaker 3: So a lot of.
Speaker 4: Times we're just trying to save people time, you know. You know, if you want to know the defendive answer, we may not know, but we'll sure do a good job of trying to dig it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah I got that one.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I think we've talked a lot in the past about visiting cemeteries and how they used to be more like parks and people would go to have picnics and that was the norm. So I think people still do things like that, and like Matt and myself, we like to visit these places. And it doesn't matter again, what your religious persuasion is or not. I think that you do need to respect the living and their memories of these people.
Speaker 4: All Right, I guess that's probably enough on this topic, don't you think I think we got I think we got this one covered pretty well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. Yeah, let's bury it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, Well we've left our mark and we'll move on.
Speaker 3: Okay, Monster, you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 4: You just heard a discussion with Blake and Karen and Matt Baxter about the ethics and best practices around cemetery maintenance and grave rubbing. I found it to be an interesting topic, an interesting discussion, interesting chat.
Speaker 3: But maybe you'd like to chime in yourself. We'd love to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there will be discussions on Patreon and Facebook as well as on our Discord server, and I look forward to hearing what our Monster talkers think about this. You're listening to the commercial supported version of this show, so I'm going to quickly plug some of the stuff that Karen and I have been working on. Don't forget Karen's latest book titled Bitch The Journey of a Word. It's out in bookstores right now. It's more than an etymology. And Joe nichols book The Science of Monsters, which was the first book produced by Monster House Publishing, that's out in bookstores or on Amazon. And the early bird sale for the Skeptoid Cruise the Bermuter Triangle, which I will be a guest talker on. That sale is over, but there are still a few cabine remainings, so check the show notes if you want to join us on that.
Speaker 3: That'll be fun.
Speaker 4: Monster talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys.
Speaker 3: Oh, good grief. Another update to my editing software?
Speaker 4: Well what if I don't want to update us?
Speaker 5: M hmm.
Speaker 1: This has been a Monster House presentation