Speaker 1: Honey Melinda, the lead singer and songwriter of rock and roll's first all female group in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Belinda Carlyle, Happy Birthday. Belinda Carlyle's autobiography, Lips Unsealed, came out in June twenty ten. It's the New York Times bestseller favorable reviews. As a member of the Go Go, she helped sell over seven million records in their short career together in the eighties, as a solo artist even more success. Belinda Joe Carlisle sixty six. Today, on this August seventeenth, before we look at a look back at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these, This was the date. In eighteen oh seven, the Robert Fulton's North River Steamboat made its first voyage traversing the Hudson River, successful round trip between New York City and Albany, New York. Federal batteries and ships began bombarding Fort Sumter and Charleston Harbor during America's Civil War this date in eighteen sixty three. The Confederates managed to hold off the Feds despite several days of shelling there where the whole thing had begne began just three years earlier, nineteen fifteen, a mob in Cobb County, Georgia lynch Jewish businessman Leo Frank, whose death sentence for the murder of a thirteen year old had been commuted to life imprisonment. He maintained his innocence all along and was pardoned by the State of Georgia in nineteen eighty six. Little good it did him. He was dead nineteen forty five. On August seventeenth, the George Orwell novel Animal Farm Forecast of the Future, an allegorical satire of Soviet communism. Know it's exactly what's happening today in the United States. First published in London by Martin Secker and Warburg, Animal Farm ought to be required reading in every public high school in America. So they can see exactly what the kids can see exactly what certain powers, it be in our own government are trying to do now. The first successful transatlantic balloon flight ended on this date in nineteen seventy eight, the Double Eagle II landing outside of Paris. Let's see, this was the day in nineteen ninety eight that then President Bill Clinton gave Grand jury testimony via closed circuit TV from the White House about his relationship with Monica Lewinsky, whom previously had said it never had sex with that woman. He did deliver a TV address in which he admitted his relationship and said it was wrong, but denied previously committing perjury. The impeachments followed, and we all know how that turned out. Bill Clinton was more popular than ever before. This was the date of a magnitude seven point four earthquake in Turkey killed more than seventeen thousand people in nineteen ninety nine. Computer scientist Margaret Hamilton is eighty eight today. Robert de Niro or Dumbass Bob is eighty one. Businessman Larry Ellison his birthday today. Martha Coolidge, the film director seventy eight. Tennis Hall of Famer Guillermo Vilas is seventy two, Mentioned Blinda Carlisle, Sean Penn sixty four. Donny Wahlberg also known as Danny Reagan for watchers of Blue Bloe, It's fifty five today. College basketball Hall of Famer and retired NBA All Star Christian Latner, the bane of a UK fans existence is the Double Nickets Nichols fifty five, Jim Currier is fifty four, Tennis grag Soccer great Aunreeerry Henri is forty seven. Take out a rock climber on the Happy Birthday rock climber, Alex han Wald or Honald rock climbers. Hey, people follow them right off the side of a cliff. Sometimes, if it's your birthday, I hope it is the best birthday you could possibly imagine, spent with the people that you love, doing the things that you love to do. And that is truly my wish for you. Liam Tomlinson, back in the saddle and we'll do weather which looks kind of stormy, actually glancing over as we get you go on on this Saturday morning edition. On seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: This Morning at nine, Mike Allen bites the latest wave of ridiculousness with karate like discipline On seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Is your car a superhero? Donating it to Goodwill turns your four wheeled friend into services for people with disabilities and training, jobs and even housing to homeless veterans. Go to goodwillcars dot com because together we create a good community.
Speaker 1: Now the time to buy your new vehicle at carry Automotive dot Com hi at eighty seven. The scattered rain continues to be a threat tonight with some thunderstorms, mostly cloudy Tomorrow, scattered rain and well you get the idea. That is the pattern that repeats this weekend. Sadly no total washouts, but watch out, it could happen at almost any time. It's seventy one with some fog this morning, seven hundred WLW Sports William Tomlinson. The Reds could not scratch the boobitch they are any of the rest of the Milwaukee of the Kansas City pitchers, no.
Speaker 4: Michael Lorenzen pitched six innings with one run, giving up The Reds three game win streak ends with the seven to one loss. When the series opener against the Royals last night, Martinez got the loss, giving up three runs and six inning pitch. Jonathan India ty Franz doubled. Tyler Stevenson added two doubles in an RBI. The Royals had thirteen total hits compared to the Reds four. The red Legs are back in action this evening. Nicolodolo nine to four three point nine to nine ERA takes the mound for the Reds and Michael Waka nine and six three point five zero ERA for the Royals. Tonight, our coverage begins with the inside pitch of five point forty right here on the home of the Reds seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Bengals fake football in Chicago this afternoon, without the front line stars and with some notable injuries under Bengals roster already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Bengals played game two of three preseason games this afternoon. Jamar Chase has yet to sign his contract extension. Trent Brown got hurt earlier this week. Cody Ford had to come in during the joint practice. Amarius Mims hurt his peck. He'll be out several weeks.
Speaker 5: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: Pregame sports talk begins at nine with Ken Brew and you can listen to that game right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: And the running back Evans is out for the season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, with a torn pattiller tendon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I mean you mess up your knee, man, You're not playing any football anytime soon. Anything else on the docket, Yeah.
Speaker 4: FC Cincinnati is back in action next Saturday against Inter Miami, and last night, the WNBA is back in action after their month long Olympic break, the Indi NF Fever came back ready to play, getting a win against the Phoenix Mercury. Caitlyn Clark had twenty nine ten and five and Cincinnati native and Ohio State alum Kelsey Mitchell added twenty eight three and five.
Speaker 1: Very good, very good, five forty six.
Speaker 2: Your tune to News Radio seven hundred w LW.
Speaker 7: When you're way through our twenty twenty four i R Radio Music Festival. Send it by Capital on September twentieth and twenty first tembl Arena here in Las Vegas, dreaming live only.
Speaker 6: On Hulu, looking for your chance to be there.
Speaker 8: The all new twenty twenty five Infinity QX eighty luxury full size three row suv is coming to Infinity of Northern Kentucky Reserve Yours today. Stop by or visit Infinity of Northern Kentucky dot com.
Speaker 4: And bark on an adventure with the family this weekend a branch your Affairs Wild.
Speaker 1: Week forty nine. Just waking up with you, Gary Jem shout out this morning to my friend Rex leave from the Batavia area. Came to visit us at Muddles this week and our prayers for Rex is a you may not know, Rex, but nice guy. We had a chance to talk in depth yesterday undergoing radiation treatments for prostate problems and uh, looks like it's gonna be okay. But you know, every little prayer helps, So hid to Rex, It's nice to talk to you again, and we wish you only the best. Coming up on September fourteenth, which happens to be a Saturday, and we'll be mentioning that this event several times because I was asked to and I don't mind doing it between now and then. But the third annual charity golf tournament, the Autism Open, the benefit the Autism Research Cincinnati Children's Hospital. One player will have a shot for a million dollars. It's it's possible, while you're doing the good work of raising money for the Autism Open, you could win a million dollars. Four players will test their skills in the one hundred thousand dollars shootout. There are all kinds of prizes, of course, as you can imagine with any charity event like this. It is at Elks Run Golf Club on Saturday, September fourteenth, a shotgun start at one thirty in the afternoon, so that would even give MO a chance to wake up and participate. If you want to register now is that they are looking for golfers. That's the point of me talking about it here. You register online at the Autismopen. That's all one word, Theautismopen dot com. It's one hundred and twenty five dollars a golfer, four person scramble. So the Autism Open September fourteenth, elks run. Go to the Autismopen dot com if you'd like to register to be a part of that event, and I'll mention it later on this morning. As we continue, have not heard from Mametry today. I did hear from her during the week. She is something else. You listen to this program, you know she's a piece of work, no question about that. We love her and there's no else like Lynette, Mam Tree, pat whatever her name is. She had her surgery, if you remember last Saturday, she called us after her oral surgery, which I guess they accomplished what they needed to accomplish, but they did not remove the jawbone of her dead twin brother that's been with her all her life in her I don't again with half the things that Mam Tree says, I'm not sure I understand and I speak, mamitre. It's five point fifty two. Let's see. We got Dick from Dayton hanging already. This is a good sign. Don't want to go dickless on the Saturday morning edition coming up on five p fifty two and some change. Howdy Gary, Jeff with you on seven hundred wlw Oh.
Speaker 9: My friend swim no matter this season, but my money severe pleauxic.
Speaker 1: Right, how are you human?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 1: Listen, I saw I wanted to tell you because you'd asked me about Mick and May. I saw May yesterday at the Kroger in Bellevue. She came out and said, Getty, Jeff, just the loveliest woman you can think. She is cancer free. Dick, and I want to let you Mick is going through a rough time. He has uh, Mick has some problems and he's getting treatment for them right now. But they wanted me to say hi to you if I talked to you, I said, I'll talk to him tomorrow morning. But no, they're they're doing fine, just uh, you know, working through some things. But May and Mick are still with us, and I just wanted to let you know.
Speaker 10: Oh, thank you, Garry Jeff. That was not Yeah, we wondered, you know, he had come about the Yeah, he'd.
Speaker 11: Come a couple of times.
Speaker 10: But I say a prayer. We were Yes, we lost another.
Speaker 12: Member of the band.
Speaker 10: Her name was Faith. She was from Westchester. So I don't know, it's just it's just, you know, everybody's gone now, but we have a little fun. There's probably only there's probably three of the originals because I've been in that vand let's see, my anniversary was July twelfth, So how many years I've been in the band? Thirty eight years?
Speaker 1: How about that? Yeah, it's incredible. Yeah, you're a geah. I would say the one thing about you that is universally true is you are a dick that hangs in Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, well well dick.
Speaker 1: Sure we don't have a whole lot of time. Anything else you wanted to talk about.
Speaker 10: Oh, well, I'm looking forward to walking the fingals, you know, I'm thinking Berwin that we're going to take it to the Promised Land this year.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm Gary Jeff Walker and you're not, And aren't you happy about that? Believe me, you should be. If you're not five one three seven nine hundred, big one to get in touch, and Mama Tree is here. Good morning, Mama Tree, Good morning.
Speaker 14: Let me start out us say we've come.
Speaker 15: For her by face, leaning on.
Speaker 14: Drunk tongue, leaning on a.
Speaker 15: Long trusted in his holy work in her. He's never he never paid me. See oh oh oh, cantaurn around.
Speaker 14: We come this far by bad.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. Well, that's that's a great way to start the conversation.
Speaker 12: I had to.
Speaker 14: I didn't want to lose my boy.
Speaker 1: How are you doing bad since your surgery last week?
Speaker 14: I didn't hear you?
Speaker 15: Then?
Speaker 1: How are you doing since your surgery last week?
Speaker 14: This phone got a bad connection. They didn't put down speaker.
Speaker 1: Okay, how did your surgery go? And how are you feeling?
Speaker 14: I'm great. I got depart too wednesday. Yeah, get that bone out.
Speaker 1: Now, you're still insisting that the what did you say? You're still insisting that the bone of your brother's jaw is.
Speaker 14: In your round my jawbone. Yeah, and it's got to come out or I can't get no teeth.
Speaker 1: Well, we need to get you some teeth.
Speaker 14: I can't get my teeth to they get that out in the here'll make impressions.
Speaker 16: I got it a year.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness us. Well, yeah, well you're a patient. You're a patient, lady.
Speaker 16: It took a year.
Speaker 14: Life Tampa. The oppers when the elevator knocked them out, remember this story, don't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you got your head caught in the doors of the elevator.
Speaker 14: Yeah, three towns. They hit me. It shattered my teeth and they came out one every month like they did. Hear and make the bacon.
Speaker 1: Well we we certainly don't. We certainly don't need any more teeth to come out. We need them to go in. Listen, mammetry We've got to go, baby, But but we love you, love you too, all right, take care. We'll talk today from Harrison. You know what, Let's talk today from Harrison.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 6: Hello, I am mister Rare.
Speaker 12: This is that.
Speaker 1: Our horse is a horse, of course, of course, No when you can talk to what horse?
Speaker 6: Of course that is of course, and that's the horse is the famous.
Speaker 1: Miss Dave from Harrison.
Speaker 12: Hello, Dave, Jeff, what up there, darling?
Speaker 1: All Wilbur.
Speaker 15: What are you doing?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 17: I remember mister Ed, of.
Speaker 1: Course, we all remember mister Ed. Hey, listen, I just wanted to ask you something. If you knew this. If Cat Stevens married Snoop Doggie Dog, then he'd be Cat Doggie dog.
Speaker 18: Right.
Speaker 12: I think so?
Speaker 1: If Olivia Newton John rest her soul. If Olivia Newton John had married Wayne Newton then divorced him to Mary Elton John, she'd be Olivia Newton John Newton John Right.
Speaker 13: So Yeah.
Speaker 1: If Sondra Locke married Elliott Ness then divorced him to Mary Herman Munster, she'd become Sondra Locke Ness Munster, that's funny. If b Arthur, if b Arthur married Sting, she'd be beasting Wow, wow, quickly, what have you got today?
Speaker 14: Dave?
Speaker 1: Quickly?
Speaker 12: How do you make anti frees?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 17: You steal her snow pants while they're drawing by the fire?
Speaker 1: What else you got?
Speaker 5: He's next to her?
Speaker 17: Cheesy?
Speaker 12: Real quick?
Speaker 17: What is the name of the country near a rack that is made entirely of cheese?
Speaker 18: H Curdistan?
Speaker 17: Yeah, it's a joke. Come on, man, What was Marlon Branda's cheesiest film?
Speaker 6: I don't know?
Speaker 18: The Good Father?
Speaker 1: Did you say the goodah Father?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 1: The good Get off my phone.
Speaker 19: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by this staff, management or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 20: It'll be a battle of jaws and claws.
Speaker 1: The flea flicker executed to.
Speaker 20: Perfect your Bengals room into Chicago for a four quarter fight with a bear. Heyas it's a preseason matchup that'll have the entire football world on the edge.
Speaker 13: Of its seed.
Speaker 20: Incredible catch gets a call from those masters of the den Horde and Dave.
Speaker 1: Coverage begins this morning at night.
Speaker 20: I am Bam, Bam, seven hundred WLW, the whole of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 21: Eight hundred got chunk recycles because it conserves our natural reason.
Speaker 1: Remember once again, the late Greg Ken I lost on Jeopardy I think yeah, because you're known by now. Greg Ken and the Greg Kin Band passed at the age of seventy five this week after a battle with Parkinson's and it was sadden to hear of the pat For those of you who have listened to the program over these many years, you probably remember Stephen from South Carolina. Stephen Gruba at one time had the what I joked was the male order Russian bride. Julia took him two and a half years to remodel their kitchen. Well, Stephen was diagnosed with Parkinson's several years ago as well. And Rick Washburn old Radio Rick told me of Steven's passing this week and it just it sad me to no, end Rick, how are you.
Speaker 22: I'm hanging in there. Yeah, it was very sad news to hear, and to try to make a Stephen related joke. The antennas at the Pineapple Palace are at half masted, but you're still coming in five by five on a This is a Zenith h five hundred, one of those luggable flip top five two radios that work so well. And it's not the same one, certainly, but it is one that is virtually identical to one that I was helping him from Afar, or I would say, mentoring from Afar to restore himself. And although he was the first to tell me that he was no good with a welding iron, and I seized him a lot about the fact that, well, it's not a welding iron, so don't worry about that. He did beautiful work and he got it working. And he also worked on a thirty eight bell nap bill five forty nine, which is a beautiful woodcase and shortwave radio. And he made the comment to me prior to one of our our final conversations over email that he says, I forgot how cool these things are now wonder you love them. But you may recall in the February of twenty twenty two, he came to town and I had the great honor of shuttling him around. It was actually the first time that we got to meet face to face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, came to the anniversary party, didn't he.
Speaker 22: Did, indeed, and oh, just just full of life and wonderful. And I warned him I was going to slap him figuratively if he didn't stop apologizing for the fact that he was a little weak and he had to stop every couple hours to take another drug cocktail. But yeah, the most heartbreaking thing for me was the last email I heard from him was in April of twenty twenty three, when he had mentioned that he was going into he'd been accepted into a clinical trial, and he's like, we'll see what happens. I don't know, but I'll try to stay in touch. And I was very heartened on May nineteenth of twenty twenty three when he tweeted out what appears to be his last tweet, when he said the Reds should automatically lose this game for the horrid I think, he said, but ugly black uniforms they're wearing.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, people love the City connect not Stephen Grub Stephen, it's been a while since he passed. We just found this out this week through some research. But I share in yourself.
Speaker 22: I actually passed on May thirtieth of twenty three, and I was trying to find somebody to find out if you were still in the clinical trial or something, and I managed to accidentally stumble on a cousin who called me, oh, I'm so sorry, and and then it gave me a link to his obituary and so forth, which was beautifully done.
Speaker 1: Well, I share in your grief, and for anybody else who heard Stephen from South Carolina over the years on this program, We're we're sorry to report this news. If you'd not heard by now, Rick, I gotta go. We're short on time. If you want to get in touch with mister Washburn Old Radio Rick at gmail dot com.
Speaker 7: When you're way through our twenty twenty four i ARD Radio Music Festival, were.
Speaker 12: Send it by capital.
Speaker 1: Except for your twentieth and twenty first chances for some heavy weather today high of eighties emen. In fact, scattered rain showers and thunderstorms are a possibility all weekend. Low seven hundredth WLW Sports Reds losing Game one to the Kansas City Royals Game two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Red Legs are back in action this evening. Nicklodolo nine to four on the year with a three point nine to nine ERA takes the mound for the Reds, and Michael Waka nine and six with a three point five o ERA takes the mound for the Royals. Tonight, our coverage begins with the inside pitch at five point forty, first pitch at six forty right here on the home of the Reds seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 23: Here's what's trending from the Iheartsports Network presented by Draft Kings, Fantasy Sports.
Speaker 24: Cowboys Wide Out, Ceedee Lamb is still holding out a camp reports playing the franchise is offering him a contract at just under thirty three million dollars a year. The Reds couldn't find a way to stack their hits against the Royals, as they only scored one run and a lopside. It lost to the Royals, and Ohio State men's basketball could not plan one of their key targets. Sports winning twenty five seven footer Malachim Reno commits to the Tucky over the buck Eyes.
Speaker 6: I'm mister Jordan. Check out what DraftKings has to offer this season with Code Sports.
Speaker 25: Because Life's will is the slight chance for severe weather, thunderstorm chances are going to start around one to three PM and then continue throughout the afternoon and into the evening. Damaging wind, hail, and tornadoes are all possible. From your severe weather station.
Speaker 1: I'm nine.
Speaker 25: First Warning forecast Arena Azellian News Radio seven hundred wl GAMD forecasts.
Speaker 21: Thanks to arling house plumbing, heating and air conditioning the Happy House guys. Right now in Cincinnati, we are looking at seventy one degrees at six thirty six. Next updates seven on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 26: News twenty four hours a day, umes Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Let's go east.
Speaker 13: I'm toasting you. Sit, honey, we may be through. You'll never care me.
Speaker 6: Comp and girls.
Speaker 11: And no.
Speaker 1: List. Thank God for friends in low places. Every Saturday morning they gather at Brookie Saloon on Main Street in Ripley, Ohio. So we traveled now to how now Brown County and visit the gang. Good morning, gang, Good morning. I understand that you've got special visitors, but they're not with us at Brookies this morning, Doug. Is that correct?
Speaker 12: That's right.
Speaker 27: Farmer Dan made it down. He brought his requisite load of yellow perch with him for dinner.
Speaker 12: Last night.
Speaker 18: I saw, Yeah, maybe ate too much and just off.
Speaker 1: Yet this morning's us. Damn onion. Rings of years that put him over the top, That's what it was.
Speaker 12: I will deal with those today. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So is there any chance we might see Farmer Dan Huddles today?
Speaker 27: Real good chance, real good? Oh, goad, the way we can get that way, we can get back here to town because Darren's got the hijack tonight from eight to twelve. Of course, the Queen of Hearts on Wednesdays up over fifty thousand and man for your benefit. Here the lead into you coming next Sunday. Yes it's the Harry Todge. The Harry Todge Festival is on Friday and Saturday.
Speaker 1: I'd love the Harry Todge Festival. This is every year in Ripley where they celebrate the great pioneer and statesman known as Harry Todge, who actually was based in Ripley, Ohio. Harry was Harry and his family very well known throughout Brown County and actually throughout all of South South and Southeast Ohio. We love Harry Todge and his legacy lives on.
Speaker 27: Yes it's and Cherry has a wonderful announcement for the five o'clock hour.
Speaker 12: Next Saturday afternoon because there's a.
Speaker 27: Certain guy that needs to be here.
Speaker 18: Cherry take it over.
Speaker 28: Oh yeah, we need to see Jay Weaver next week. He needs to come up and hang out here at Brookies for our you know, special uh J T shirt contest.
Speaker 1: J moved. Jay moved to I believe Saint Louis, of all places. I don't think Jay is any longer in the vicinity, but maybe he will come back for the T shirt contest.
Speaker 12: Left Allure and back in.
Speaker 1: The Going's Walker Farewell tour kicks off and ends at Brookies a week from this Sunday on the twenty fifth at two pm. And I think that's all the announcements.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 18: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: The weather.
Speaker 28: Just scattered showers and you know, off and on for the next few days.
Speaker 12: So don't have much else to talk about, you know.
Speaker 28: I went to see the Vandel's farewell tour last Saturday night to Jim.
Speaker 27: Yeah.
Speaker 28: I saw Jim Lebarbar and Sally they are got to talk to them.
Speaker 14: So that was exciting.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's a fun time right there. That group of people. Boy, I tell you what you get, the green Horne at the prof and his wife all together at one place and bringing the riot police Katie bar the door. All right. I have a great weekend, guys. We love you.
Speaker 29: Seven hundred WLW Cincinnati, available everywhere with the iHeartRadio app now number one more podcast thing seven hundred WLW and iHeartRadio Station.
Speaker 3: Is your car superhero. Donating it to Goodwill turns your four wheeled friend into services for people with disabilities and training, jobs and even housing of.
Speaker 1: The weather Rock fame, but Sun and Clouds are mixed of scam rain and showers and thunderstorms, and there could be some severe weather in this so just kind of keep an eye out. A high of eighty seven tomorrow a HIA eighty with the same story of the scattered rain, and that's still part of the forecast into Monday morning.
Speaker 26: Seven one hundred WLW Sport.
Speaker 1: We have fake football today. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Bengals play game two of three preseason games this afternoon against the Bears in Chicago. Kick a set for one pm. There are a couple injuries of note. Amarus Mims will miss several weeks with a peck injury, Chris Evans will miss the season with a torn pateeller tendon, and Dante Smith Wilso missed the entire season with the pteller injury. Jamar Chase is yet to sign a contract extension. Pregame Sports Talk begins at nine with Ken Brew. Listen to that game right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: No Joe Burrow today, Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: The Bears are expected to play their starters for about a half a Quartering to the day ago.
Speaker 1: The Reds with after a three game streak of victories. With the Cardinals at home, facing the other end of the state, the Kansas City Royals in town. Not so good last night.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Reds fell to the Royals seven to one last night.
Speaker 4: It seems like the Reds have been close to getting to five hundred all summer, and every time they close get to close the gap, they seem to just fall and lose. Yesterday they had four hits compared to the Royals thirteen. Martinez gets the loss, giving up three runs and six innings pitched. The Red Legs are back in action this evening. Nickelodola's on the mound for the Reds and Michael Waka for the Royals. Tonight, our coverage begins with the inside pitch of five point forty right here on the Home of the Reds, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: It's a good pitching matchup tonight. We'll see steam from met In, Ohio with a fifty phone call hanging around. In just a minute six forty three.
Speaker 30: Christ dates Chevrolet buyers, the model you're in clearing.
Speaker 1: Nity then quarter till the top of the hour, six forty five Eastern. That is, you're a Jeff Woody on the Saturday morning edition on seven hundred WLW. Ah, this is what I need, boy, It's not like he doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of material to call from for his pithy phone call and news of the week. Our friend Steve from edn Ohio is back. Good morning, Steven. Hello Steve, Liam, Hello, Steve. I see him on the line. Steve, are you there? Okay? You're going to put him on hold for a second and see if the phone says. And I don't want to blame the equipment. A good craftsman never blames his tools. However, the tools we've been provided. I did not select these tools. Is he there now, Liam, He's not okay. I did not select these tools. They were provided for me at no charge. Then you get what you pay for, don't you. Anyway? Six forty six, Kamala Harris came out with her economic policy the problem the woman who likes to address the root causes of things like root cause of our immigration problem at the border. What are the root causes? Oh, let's travel to other countries and discover what our root causes are. The root cause apparently of us paying too darned much for everything during the Bidenharris administration is corporate greed and they're going to have to find a way to punish those greedy corporations and control prices on food. I don't know about you, but I live through the late nineteen seventies when government price control became the thing. What happened? Long lines at the gas pumps, blocks long and uh and no gas, and the prices did not go down. So anyway, now then, blathering on and on, we have the solution to our problem. Whatever that was. Once again, Steve from at in Ohio. What's going on?
Speaker 16: Good morning, Gary, Jeff. Let's start with the New York Times. All right, call it, yes, call it calling out Trump Assassination Commission Member Clay Higgins of Louisiana for not being qualified for that House investigation. Because Higgins is a conspiracy theorist who believes that Trump's supporters were entrapped by FBI agents into rioting on January the sixth, twenty twenty one. That charge is coming back to haunt Ji Jingping's favorite New United States newspaper. Why because this week Higgins found out that the commission will not be examining the body of that punk who shot Trump. The body belongs to the medical examiner in Butler County, Pennsylvania who was awaiting permission to release that body to the family. But wait, who steps in to claim the body? None other than the FBI. Trouble is, the Feds did not have jurisdiction, nor did they ask the me and Butler if they could have the body. No, they just took it and cremated it, burned the evidence to a crisp. I used to think that Hillary and her gang at the State Department were good at destroying evidence. But this really takes the cake, folks.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it.
Speaker 16: It also brings back memories of the doctor at Bethesda Naval Hospital in charge of the JFK autopsy. He inexplicably destroyed his detailed diagrams of the wounds, apparently assuming they were irrelevant to the investigation of the murder of a president of the United States. That's not a conspiracy theory, New York Times. That is fact. Look it up, But first look up the word fact and get it into your vocabulary.
Speaker 18: Page two.
Speaker 16: The Secret Service has announced new plans to allegedly protect Donald Trump. Let me guess he'll be incarcerated in a jail in New York City. This has some validity because District Attorney Bragg has made sure all the cities rapists and murderers are on the street, so Trump will be safe behind bars. You get it. Meanwhile, the Harris Biden team that's the real Democrat ticket, is claiming they have by FIAT reduced the price of key drugs like insolence insulin. Did I say, actually it was Donald Trump who did that, but Biden Harris delayed twice its implementation, and now three years later they are doing it and of course claiming credit. The chameleon commy is apparently making up her stealing stuff by endorsing, unfortunately without giving appropriate credit, Trump's desire to remove tip income from taxation. Page three. Progressives back in the sixties used to be more creative than conservatives. In those days, they gave us great music, fun motion pictures, the Kennedys when the Kennedys were entertaining, and Jack Kennedy's inaugurial address a very conservative statement, and his slashing income taxes in moves that well, let's admit it, Ronald Reagan stole them twenty years later. But today all socialists communist Democrats do is lie, cheat, and state. The theme of the twenty twenty four Harris Biden campaign is give us a mulligan. We can screw it up even better than the first time. My goodness, do these communists never sleep? They actually stole something from another Democrat. Ohio's embattled Sheried Brown has been running ads blaming the economy on corporate price gouging. Where have I heard that before?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 16: Yeah, every time the price of gasoline goes up, as though the international situation has nothing.
Speaker 5: To do with it.
Speaker 16: What do you think will happen if the Middle East blows sky high? Remember nineteen seventy three, it wasn't the price of gas then, it was a supply, long lines at the pump. Excuse me, but Kami wants to head gouging, specifically at the grocery store, as though she and any of her courts know Jack squat about agriculture. This is what happens when you surround yourselves with Green Party academics who think that hamburgers grow on trees. Kammy's ignorance is appalling. Some years ago, her home state of California put together a commission to look into the Great gas Gouging Conspiracy. It was headed by a Democrat. He announced that the group found no proof game set match presently. COMMI says she'll solve this non existent problem with price controls. Notice she did not call it wage and price controls. That's what liberals in Washington usually suggest as a cure for inflation. She left out wage controls because labor would raise hell ah, So here is what will happen. The already significant increase in the money supply with all of those wage increases over the past two years, price controls would decrease the supply of goods and services. The new money is chasing because who wants to sell it? The loss prescription for more inflation. The price controls we already have from the sores progressives are not working. It's called shoplifting. We've been through this before. Richard Nixon thought it was a good idea in the early seventies, just before he was impeached. And let me close with this, Gary Jeff, excuse me my throat what today I'm acting like rfka Jr. Rest in peace. I did feel sad about this. Also, Steve from South Carolina, the voice of the Greenville South Carolina hockey team and home depot, has clearly lost a dear, dear friend in South Carolina, no doubt. I am going to miss the gentleman very very much. Rip okay, take care of yourself.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The price controls, wage and price controls in the early seventies under the Nixon administration did not work. They did not work. In the old Soviet Union, people couldn't find anything. They didn't work in Venezuela. They won't work here, and not because the other people didn't do it correctly. It's just a bad idea. Another one of those bad ideas courtesy of Kamala and the rest of the commies behind her candidacy. Steve's elite story. Hello west Side Jim, Hello Chris to two point zero, Hello Brooksy, good to have you along for the ride. One in a all, it is time for our environmental segment. We have a special guest. Steve Shulty is still in his pilgrimage stand by go.
Speaker 27: See tree so green.
Speaker 31: Resist, I seen them blue following you and I into myself. What a wonderful.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned, Steve Shulty is still on his pilgrimage to Fathom of Portugal in Lords, France, and so joining us today is a guy where Steve Shulty gets some of his information where I've gotten all kinds of invaluable information about climate change and the Green Breakdown, which is also the title of our guest's latest book about how the renewable energy is destined to not work at its current state. Steve Gorham the executive director of the Climate Science Coalition and author of Green Breakdown, in the Mad, Mad Mad World of Climatism and Outside the Green Box. So, Steve, this morning we are talking about lithium battery fires and how prevalent and how there is an increase in these happening not just in electric cars, but in warehouses and in factory So please enlighteness. You have pointed out before that there is a new epidemic as more and more of these electric cars evs are on the road.
Speaker 32: What are some of these examples, Steve, Hey, Gary, Jeff, great to join you again. Yeah, we have a new epidemic globally and it isn't COVID variant. It's lithium battery fires, which are getting to be a big, big problem in many nations. An example was the last summer near Chicago, a guy was driving his Tesla. The vehicle start to shake, he pulled off, it burst in and he didn't have time to get his child.
Speaker 1: Seats out of the back. He was pleased his kids weren't with him.
Speaker 32: But this has gone beyond electric cars, we're now saying because the governments not only are pushing electric vehicles, but they are pushing grid scale batteries, very very big batteries, and they're trying to use those to make up for the shortfalls of wind and solar, and now those things are bursting in flames. Just a couple of weeks ago, we had a fire on I fifteen in near Baker, California. A truck carrying a grid scale lithium iron battery, big, big load, caught on fire and this blocked the expressway for about two days. They had all these people lined up and they were bringing him water. They couldn't get turned around. There were no roads in and out.
Speaker 18: Of the place.
Speaker 32: But there's a there's a whole bunch of these examples. Another one is a battery recycled plants caught fire in Scotland in the last month and it took ten fire departments to show up with about fifty firefighters to try and fight this blaze.
Speaker 1: Well, you can just a month, you cannot douse you cannot douse these fires in the normal way fire departments treat and respond to these fires. That's a big problem. No, that's true.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 32: I mean even even a truck that with a diesel engine that catches on fire, the guy usually just gets out with a fire extinguisher and puts it out. But you can't do that with these with these vehicles. They've invented an innovative approach in Netherlands. They actually bring a tank of water and they bring a big lifter truck and they so they take an electric car and they lift it up and they drop in the tank of.
Speaker 12: Water to put the fire out.
Speaker 1: Well, I bet that ev doesn't work too well after it's been dropped in a tank of water, much less catch on fire because of the lithium battery.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's total.
Speaker 32: But and another big one they just had a big fire in near San Diego. Again California's embarked on this program to back up wind and solar with these big battery installations. One called Gateway Energy Storage Facility caught on fire and it burned. They put it out with water and it restarted. They put out it restarted, it restarted six times and it burned for about a week. And the thing is when you pour water on these things, it damages the batteries around them, and then they're more likely to ignite as well. So you know, another big issue. We also had a battery fire plant in South Korea where they make a lot of these looking batteries, and they just killed sixteen people. All these things have happened within the last two months and just getting to be an epidemic.
Speaker 1: What's the underlying cause of the rise in lithium battery fires? Just the fact that all these governments are pushing this effort to find quote renewable energy. Is it just because there are more of them around?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I think.
Speaker 32: I think we have zero missions mandates in twenty three states now, that's say we're going to stop selling gasoline cars by twenty three five, so they're pushing evs. Canada is the same way twenty thirty five. And then we have the utilities that have these net zero electricity targets. So states like New York and California and a few others want to put in all these good scale batteries, which are very expensive if you if you try and back up a solar facility for a single day with utility scale batteries. The batteries cost ten times as much as the solar system itself, and then the only then the only last about half the lifetime. So these are very a very poor deal for rate payers.
Speaker 1: Well again, uh Ve Sholti, who's usually in this segment. On Saturday morning, Steve gorham as All was talking about the overall cost of all this for the sake of, I don't know, saving the planet and just doesn't make sense one way or the other outside the green box, Like I said, was your former book Green Energy Breakdown Real quickly explain why this renewable energy push is destined to fail.
Speaker 32: Yeah, it's because the world's trying to get to net zero by twenty fifty, get rid of a coal oil, natural gas, substitute wind, solar and biofuels. But this is an impossibility. We have huge industries fuel, steel and fertilizer and chemicals that run on coal and natural gas. We have ninety five percent of the world's transportation is still either fuels from gas, gasoline oil or natural gas.
Speaker 1: So they want to do all this and explore that. Yeah, book explains it.
Speaker 17: Go ahead and you can get it at my website.
Speaker 32: Steve Gorham g O R E H A M dot com. I'll send a sign copy. There are ebooks as well, but people need to find out where we're going and why we're not going to get there with all these government actions.
Speaker 1: We continue on a Saturday morning on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 16: One eight hundred got joke recycles because it conserves our natural resources.
Speaker 3: We donate the donatables so they can be loved and used.
Speaker 1: Final, you know, getting physical is this guy's life, the first dawn of fitness in the Tri State. Rocco Costelano is back with more little bits and pieces from Rocco's blog, but you can check out on his website and we'll go through that again here in just a moment. But first and foremost, good morning, Roco. How are we?
Speaker 12: Hey guys, Jeff, how are you doing great?
Speaker 1: Doing great? So among the blogs that are now at rococastellano dot com by the way, that's r O C C O C A S T E L L A n O dot com. Internet addiction and teens. We've heard about it, We've some of us have experienced it personally with our own offspring and just you can see it anywhere in fact, I think there's internet addiction well beyond the teenage years. But tell me what the studies have shown thus far. Roco.
Speaker 12: Well, but the you know, you know, but the actual thing that is, you know, like the big problem is that it starts. And now with social media being such.
Speaker 33: A big part of people's lives, and we carry you know, like the little computers in our our pocket, you know that are you know that look like phones, but they're really us will complete we have it available to us all the time.
Speaker 12: And especially of what they found in in several studies. But in the Blood posts, I talk about a one study of one hundred and sixty nine students.
Speaker 13: They found that that.
Speaker 12: That the students that that were in the study, the eventual austraatum, which is the is the part of the brain that affects like the positive of reward system actually gets gets affected and starts to starts to die down and then and and the most important piece of this is that it creates other other addictive of the behaviors.
Speaker 1: So the addiction to social media actually creates addiction to other things.
Speaker 12: Yeah, like drugs, alcohol, because because the effect of the social media is going to affect like the hypersensitivity to feedback or a diminished positive response. So you're going to consistently want that reward system to be uh, you know, to be populated.
Speaker 34: All the time.
Speaker 1: I've seen studies, rocoll I've seen studies where it actually in a certain study, it actually melts the brain of of those who are participating, like an alien laser beam.
Speaker 12: Well, it doesn't melt the brain, but it actually actually fees the brain.
Speaker 1: It doesn't, it doesn't, it doesn't, it doesn't melt the brain. I saw a study where it actually will it could melt your brain.
Speaker 12: It doesn't, it doesn't melt it, but it does. It does impair impulse control. So so when you impair uh, you know, impulse of control, you're going to want to keep a rewarding it. And so you'll, uh, you'll look for different things that can, uh that can calm that. And so drugs, alcohol and gambling and different things. And gambling is a big one actually, uh that they were looking at. And then obviously you know, the increased a likelihood of mental health issues.
Speaker 1: Well, gambling, gambling, gambling melts your bank account.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, it absolutely does.
Speaker 1: Find find out more at rococostelano dot com. Thank you, my friend time out for the Tom Davis Diaries. I like to refer to these as the wild wacky stories from around the world and around the country, courtesy of our correspondent, the aforementioned Tom Davis. Here he is, Good morning Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 35: This week, don't worry, exploding body parts are all a part of the show.
Speaker 1: But first, A husband.
Speaker 35: Recently filed for divorce because his wife started charging him fifteen dollars for each love making session. The wife says that she instituted the charge because her husband had gained weight and was now bad in bed. After an hour or so of incredibly embarrassing testimony, the judge granted the divorce. A seventy three year old man from Detroit recently rear into the police car because he was eating chicken wings. He failed to notice the trooper stopped at a red light in front of him. Thankfully, nobody was hurt, only minor vehicle damage, but he.
Speaker 1: Did get a ticket.
Speaker 35: The Mount Hall of Volcano in South Korea is facing an environmental crisis from ramen noodles. Taurists are discarding the sodium rich ramen noodles on hiking trails and the high sodium from the leftover broth is polluting the water and harming aquatic life. Hikers are being urged to help preserve the area for future generations. I also think it's interesting no one's talking about this that ramen noodles are apparently poison And finally, a comedian, John Tothill, was recently performing in Edinburgh when his appendix burst while he's on stage.
Speaker 1: Test showed that his appendix started going.
Speaker 35: Bad like a week before, but it all came to a head in front of a live audience. He later wrote that he and his appendix have made the difficult decision to separate, citing irreconcilable differences. Next week, an elderly man vandalizes neighbor's property with a sharpie.
Speaker 1: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 16: We're seeing more and more heinous crimes committed in Ohio by illegal immigrants.
Speaker 1: Who shucker, sorry, not sorry. Eighth eight on a Saturday morning, and it's time to get a little science into our lives. What do you think? The one and only science Mike with a Science Minute.
Speaker 19: Yes, as a night of scientist who had been surprising him bell blinding me.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Michael, what you been up to?
Speaker 11: You know, Gary, Jeff, one of these te these days on we're going to do a program. I hope we're going to have a really good news, like a cure for Parkinson's or some some serious thing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for people who did not hear earlier, we announced the passing I guess it was last year of Stephen Gruba's the former Stephen from South Carolina who had moved to the Villages in Florida and was, according to Rick Washburn Old Radio Rick, undergoing a special kind of clinical trial to cure his Parkinson's. But he did not make it past that trial much and we were just grieving Steven's loss earlier. But anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 11: So yeah, so I have one of these days, I hope we can do some really good important science.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know what I mean. But you know you have to this.
Speaker 11: To the US alone, we get seven hundred thousand artificial knee replacements a year, and and the problem is with our current leach and especially in our knees, that once it damages or gets old, it just doesn't regenerate itself.
Speaker 18: And now what they have done, they've.
Speaker 11: Actually developed a uh A hybrid material and it looks very promising to avoid knee replacement. And what they've done it they've taken a protein and what they an asset that does use a lot in in the makeup in this treatment. Maybe your audience that knows more about this, I don't really skin use skin and care proce, but a hyaluronic acid that that does something to your skin that helps make it smoother and does absorb water. But they this this hybrid they injected into and they put it in the sheep leg joints because chefs have the same amount of stress load similar to humans. And what they found is that this uh, this actual hybrid actually generated what they called the special type of carlage called the Highland carriage cartridge, which is our cartridge material in our knees. And it actually took took root into the bone structure and uh and and grew actual cartilage, uh, fibrous material.
Speaker 18: I mean it was pretty amazing.
Speaker 5: I hope this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that is an amazing breakthrough.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I don't want to I don't want any replacement, No, not not really.
Speaker 1: Do you know that supposedly olives naturally contain highly uronic acid and if you set an olive out on the counter, now it may not be good to eat a year later, but it will look exactly the same because of that same property. You're talking about a smoothing appearance of Wow.
Speaker 17: Yes, I think you smart dude.
Speaker 1: I could be completely wrong on that, but that's what I had I had heard and great.
Speaker 18: I'm glad I brought the topic.
Speaker 1: Car So knee replacements and olives all the key. The key is always high uronic acid. Uh sir, Thank you, Michael, take care of you. Science Mike with us on Saturday on seven hundred w l W Brother Rick Green and also have a special announcement coming up.
Speaker 20: It'll be a battle of jaws and clothes the.
Speaker 1: Plea flicker executed to.
Speaker 20: Perfection your Bengals room into Chicago for a four quarter fight with a bear.
Speaker 13: It's not a fact.
Speaker 20: It's a preseason matchup that'll have the entire football world on the edge.
Speaker 13: Of its season.
Speaker 1: Incredible cats get.
Speaker 20: The call from those mestres of the my Den Horde at de Cupboards begins this morning.
Speaker 5: At night, I am Bam, BAM.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred WLW the whole of the rest and.
Speaker 6: Goost covering at bathsr us. We're terrible roofers.
Speaker 23: We stay get installing siding, and don't ever call us for your kitchen remodel. But if you want a stunning, beautiful bathroom makeover in just two or three days, now, that's when you want to call us.
Speaker 16: See.
Speaker 23: Unlike most contractors these days, we offer only one service, bathroom remodeling. We don't spread ourselves thin by doing roofing or siding and a bunch of other stuff.
Speaker 26: Nope.
Speaker 23: At Bathsrus, we dedicate every company resource into mastering the craft of bath transformations. It's why we're the Midwest's biggest five star family owned bathroom company, and it's why we have the happiest customers. Just check out our Google reviews baths r Us. We're terrible roofers, but we're awesome bathroom remodelers. Right now, get fifteen hundred dollars off a shower or tube replacement or three thousand dollars off of full bathroom remodel plus loans, no monthly payments. Call five one, three, six seven six bath to schedule your free estimate or that's are us dot com. That's are us.
Speaker 3: We're dreams.
Speaker 7: Soak in when you're way to our twenty twenty four IR Radio Music Festival.
Speaker 1: Presented by Capital Water.
Speaker 7: Except for your twentieth and twenty first tambo.
Speaker 1: Read the Bible verse and a little bit of inspiration, Brother Rick Green standing by lad.
Speaker 13: I'm going let it shine. I'm going let it shine. Miss I'm going let it shine. It shine, it shine shine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, Brother Green, good morning. How are you?
Speaker 18: Good morning? Gary? I'm going pray. I have to start Gary with our praise God moment sixty three.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm all. I missed what you said praise God moment? And then what Rick?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 18: Sixty year seventy foot trees fell in my backyard while I was at work Wednesday, and I've been praying to God. I knew it was gonna fall the angle. I said, God, don't let it hurt nobody.
Speaker 17: Gary.
Speaker 18: It fell and nixed my shed, maybe smashed about eight foot of my fence, but nobody got hurt. So I'm praising God.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, it's a good reason to thank God. Yes it is. Oh, so what about the damage to your house?
Speaker 15: Actually it just.
Speaker 18: Nicked my shad, It didn't really damage it bent the gutter a little bit, nothing maybe, so praise God.
Speaker 1: Didn't hurt anybody? Okay, what have you got for us today?
Speaker 18: Well, today we're coming from Galatians chapter five, verse sixteen, and it says, so I say, walk by the spears, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. That is a good win, gary and a tough one on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Amen on that. Yeah, that's the thing. I mean, the more you seek God, the less you seek other things. It just makes sense, you know what I mean. Yeah, Yeah, So here's mine from deuter Deuteronomy eight seventeen eighteen. You may say to yourself, my power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me. But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant which he swore to your forefathers as it is today.
Speaker 18: Amen. Amen, that's there though, today and every day.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, praise God. It's great to talk to you, brother Green. We'll see you in a little while, all right.
Speaker 18: Ah, I'm a blessed y all right.
Speaker 1: I had an announcement too. This is separate from the Bible verse obviously, but it is this. My friend Ambria Sype, who I work with at the bar, asked me to spread the words. Is heavily involved in the Autism Open, which is a third annual charity golf tournament at Elks Run Golf Club coming up Saturday, September fourteenth. So one thirty shot gun start one hundred and twenty five dollars at golf for four person scramble benefits the Autism Society and Cincinnati Children's Hospital. If you want to get involved in the Autism Open, there are slots available. This is a pretty cool golf tournament. One player will have a shot with at one million dollars one mill are you kidding? One million dollars. Four players will test their skills and the one hundred thousand dollars shootout all kinds of prizes and stuff. If you'd like to register online, you can do that at Zautismopen dot com. Again, that's the Autismopen all one word dot com and that is coming up September fourteenth.
Speaker 2: This morning at nine, Mike Allen goes full Or and it's his mighty gavel of Justice on seven hundred WLWU.
Speaker 34: Texteen rolls you in recurring what I mean marketing Text messages can send are required to purchase message in Data rates may apply.
Speaker 13: The team's looking good this season. I think so.
Speaker 1: Man. I misplaying football, being young with unlimited energy to burn. Ever, since I turned forty, I just can't find that fire I used to have.
Speaker 6: Think you could be lower testosteroe.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 34: Oh, guys lose their edge when they turn forty. The body has less distosteroe. That's why I take Eugenics Total T. I've heard about Nugenics that really works. Since I started taking Eugenics, I'm lifting like when we played for Coach Carter. I feel more energized at work. It's even spiced up things between me and the missus. Are they still giving out complimentary bottles for people to try?
Speaker 12: Yep?
Speaker 1: Send a text? Is that easy?
Speaker 34: Text rip to four two four two four right now for your complimentary bottle of Nugenics Total T. It's the number one selling testosteron boosting branded G and C at Walmart. Do it now and they'll also send you a bottle of Nugenics Thermo X, their newest most powerful fat burner ever. Absolutely free. Text rip to four two four two four. That's rip to four two four two four. Party statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure of prevent any disease.
Speaker 13: What's up, guys, A major league pitcher Hunter Green. For your next car, visit Jake Sweeney Chevrolet.
Speaker 1: Together, let's drive with ten percent below MSRP on.
Speaker 25: We're starting off this morning, still feeling pretty humid and sticky, with loans only in the upper sixties. The big story today though, is the slight chance for severe weather. Thunderstorm chances are going to start around one to three PM and then continue throughout the afternoon and into the evening. Damaging wind, hail, and tornadoes are all possible. From your severe Weather station, I'm nine. First morning forecast Arena Azelian News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred WLW Sports Liam Townlinson with the reports of sports and everything that's going on this weekend. It's it's it's starting to get really busy on the calendar, Liam.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And we're one week away from Week zero of college football and then the following week one. You see Ohio State, Kentucky, Indiana, Purdue, whoever you root for, all in action.
Speaker 1: They will be on the grid iron. The Bengals are back on the grid iron today in Chicago, for a preseason fake football game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Bengals kick a step for one PM against the Chicago Bears today.
Speaker 6: The backups will be playing.
Speaker 4: There are no starters, however, for the Bears that will be starters playing about a half according to their head coach. A couple of injuries of note. Marius Mimms will miss several weeks with a peck injury. Chris Evans will miss the entire season with a torn pateeller tendon. Dante Smith will also miss the entire season with the pateeller injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it kind of a shame with Mems because he had been a real bright but people wondering, Okay, he's got very limited playing time in college. How will he translate into the pros in an offensive line position? And he'd been very impressive so far in practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a big body like a Marius Mems, he just can stand there and stop you. But he showed out he had the starting spot pretty much. It seems locked up. But what can you do about injuries. So hopefully he's okay in a few weeks. We move along to that game today. I said kicks that one pregame coverag begins at nine with ken Brew and you can listen to that game right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Home with the best Bengals coverage. What else we got on the docket.
Speaker 4: The Red Legs fell to the Royals and end their three game win streak last night, seven to one. Jonathan India Ty France doubled. All four of their hits were doubles. Martinez got the loss, giving up three runs and six innings pitch. The Royals had thirteen total hits compared to the Reds four.
Speaker 1: It was close.
Speaker 6: The score is not indicative of the game. They gave up four.
Speaker 4: Fernando Cruz gave up four runs in the ninth and that kind of put the game away. But the Red Legs are back in action this evening. Nicolodola takes the mound for the Reds and Michael Waka for the Royals tonight, and our coverage begins with the inside pitch of five point forty, first pitch six forty right here on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: FC Cincinnati back on the MLS pitch next Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yes, next Saturday, against Inner Miami, the number one team in the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 6: They looked to gain some ground.
Speaker 1: Caitlin Clark in my Indiana Fever with the big victory he is. The WNBA kicks back in after the Olympics, Caitlyn had what twenty nine ten and five.
Speaker 4: And Cincinnati native and Ohio State alum Kelsey Mitchell Princeton grad at twenty eight three and five.
Speaker 6: They're figuring it out.
Speaker 4: Ever since the slow start of the season, they've been they've been playing good basketball.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I think that that break for the Olympics really helped Caitland a lot out there doing it. Baby.
Speaker 4: Well, you got to think they played the college season. You get drafted, it feels like less than a month later, and then the season just starts immediately. So that break is huge for all those younger college athletes coming in.
Speaker 1: No question about it. Gifts from Wally on the way, and we'll chat with Moeger before we're done.
Speaker 36: Sarah Spain with Iheartwomen's Sports presented by Capitol One. The WNBA is back in action and at four pm Eastern today, we'll get a twenty twenty three finals rematch between the New York Liberty and the Las Vegas Aces. After marveling over the magic that was Brianna Stewart and Asia Wilson playing together for Team USA and the Olympics, a duo affectionately known as Stoojia. We'll have to get used to seeing them as opponents again.
Speaker 34: You could catch that game on CBS.
Speaker 36: For more women's sports stories, subscribe to Good Game with Sarah Spain on iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 9: With no fees or minimums and no overdraft fees. Banking with Capital One is the easiest decision in the history of decisions. That's banking. Reimagine what's in your wallet. Terms of life, see Capitol one dot com.
Speaker 1: Look for showers and thunderstorms later this afternoon.
Speaker 21: Otherwise Sonny with a high of near ninety degrees right now in Cincinnati seventy three at eight thirty six, I'm Sandy Collins. Next News at nine on News Radio seven hundred WLWE.
Speaker 26: News twenty four hours a day. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Good Morning Kids, Time for gifts from Wally Getting things Straight. Husband and wife go for marriage counseling after twenty five years together. When asked you know what the problems are, the wife goes into an angry tirade, listing each and every problem they've ever had. In the twenty five years they've been married. I mean, she goes on and on neglect, lack of intimacy, emptiness, loneliness, feeling unloved and unlovable, a long list of unmet needs she had endured over the course of their quoter century together. Finally, after allowing this to go on a little bit more, the therapist stands up, walks around his desk, asks the wife to stand, embraces her, and kisses her passionately on the mouth. Well, the woman shuts her up, and in a daze, she quietly sits down. The therapist turns to the husband and says, now, this is what your wife needs at least seven times a week. Do you think you can do this? The husband thought for a moment and said, well, Doc, I can drop her off here on Mondays and Wednesdays. The rest of the time I'm playing.
Speaker 29: Golfw Cincinnati available everywhere with the iHeartRadio app one for podcasting seven hundred WLW and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 37: It's good to have an advocate, someone who knows the ins and outs of insurance and the ups and downs of life. Triple A agents work with you to find the right insurance for your needs. And while some companies refuse to go beyond a quick call or an AI generator.
Speaker 1: Alright, remembering Elvis is forty seven years later.
Speaker 27: What's all right, mama, that's all right for you.
Speaker 13: That's all run, mama anyway.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. Elvis Presley has been dead longer than he was alive, mama, and yet the mystique continues. Wow, people still just man Elvis. Elvis is everywhere, As the late Mojo Nixon used to say, I'll tell you who else is almost everywhere, everyone where he needs to be, anywhere, including here on the radio on Saturday mornings as our friend Moegar. Let's chat with him for a moment.
Speaker 12: Hey, mo, what's up?
Speaker 1: Bingals? Fake football on the road, That's what's up, and all the action right here on the home of the best Bengals coverage. Since the Reds are playing a night, we get a double dip of since he sports today on the big one, that's not too bad. That's not too shabby even for preseason football.
Speaker 5: No, not at all, and a preseason game, the rare daytime preseason game. Most of the starters aren't going to play, but still some pretty interesting things to unfold for the Bengals. You know, in the last week, we've gone from thinking, man, you know, what the right tackle position might be solidified, which was one of the bigger quests coming into training camp, right, Yeah, and then since then we've seen Marius Mims.
Speaker 12: Go down with an injury.
Speaker 5: Certainly his availability for Week one is up in the air. Trent Brown, who they signed as a free agent, has been dealing with backtie, has practiced very very little, wasn't part of the off season program, and Deontay Smith was carted off with a significant injury on Thursday, And so we're kind of back to square one wondering who the starting right tackle is going to be when the Bengals take the field against the Patriots three weeks from tomorrow. I'm not sure that today will give us any real answers as to who the starting right tackle is going to be.
Speaker 12: But you know, you and I talked last week about.
Speaker 5: The offensive line depth. With most of the starters not playing, we're going to get a very very very good look at what sort of depth the Bengals have, which at one position at least is already being tested well.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we need to find that out. We need to find that out. Well, the games, don't you know, count in the overall regular season record, and today would be a good hint at what the Bengals do have in the cupboard. Dante Smith, Is that the most impactful injury or is it memesse?
Speaker 5: Well, it's memes. I'm mean, you know, I think that the good news for Marius Mens is nobody seems to think that he is going to be unavailable to play this season, but he had he had the inside track. I mean, you know, my buddy Paul Danner Jr. Who covers the Bengals for The Athletic you know, a week and a half ago, wrote how Marius Mins was the story of training camp with you know, everybody has expected him to the first round pick, everybody expects big things from him. But I think relative to his overall lack of college experience, him showing up and looking at his NFL ready as he did and just coming off as the sort of kid who just gets it, I think made everybody feel really good about Okay, with if the preseason unfolds the way we would like, and he more than held his own against Tampa Bay last week, you know what, he's our starting right tackle, and now you don't know who the guy is going to be week one, and you also don't know for his rookie season. How much maybe he's going to be affected by not getting all of the preseason reps that he would get in the game today, all of the preseason reps he would get in the game on Thursday, the preseason reps he would get in the two joint practices the Bengals are having, or all the training camp practices. How much is that going to hurt him when he finally is healthy.
Speaker 1: And ready to go whenever that is well, this was really the question about because he'd only played what eight games in college because of injuries, he had started.
Speaker 5: Eight games in college, or that really wasn't because of injury. He started eight games in college because he was at Georgia, which is an NFL fackor so he dealt with one injury in college. And you know, he has sort of shot down the notion that he has been injury prone. His relative lack of experience has very little to do with injury. It has a lot to do with the fact that he was behind some guys who at that program winning national championships at the time were more experienced and being to be just better.
Speaker 1: Well, can we get any of those? Are those guys free? You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately?
Speaker 1: No, So unfortunately is a good word to use to describe the part of the uh, the Kansas City series with the Reds.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: The opener last night against the Royals a great American ballpark, where, once again, after breaking out the wooping sticks all week long against the Cardinals at home, the Reds, I mean they couldn't. There was a guy named Bubitch on the mound for the Royals, and the Reds could not scratch bu Bitch or anybody else on the Kansas City pitching roster last night.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, we saw old friend Michael Lorenzen start last night. Yea, and he was and he was terrific. He was all that they Yeah, they broke out the whooping sticks against Missouri's worst baseball team and Saint Louis this week and then Kansas City, which is having a surprisingly good season. Yeah, team that has a lot of really good young players, led by Bobby wit Junior. You know, he hit the home run sort of set the tone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we stop right there. I wanted to talk to you about how how really good is Bobby Witt Junior. I was watching that guy last night. He's faster than La daily Cruz sprint speed. I mean, he's like number one, LA's number two, and kind of parallels their career and where they're at in their careers right now.
Speaker 5: Good piece in the Inquirer that came out yesterday sort of comparing the two and looking at Bobby, looking at Elie de la Cruz through the lens of what Bobby Witt Junior has accomplished this season, where you know, last year took a step forward and you thought, you know what, he's just now starting to scratch the surface. And this year, you know, he might be the MVP in the American League and a very good player, probably a better defender right now than Elie de la Cruz's probably certainly more of a of a complete hitter. But the comparallels or the parallels are are just and and many were made. You know, both were All Stars this year, both were in the same competition in the All Star Game. And so yeah, if you haven't watched Bobby Wood Junior, if you love Elie Dela Cruz, and you should, uh, you'll you'll really enjoy watching Bobby Wood Junior. Maybe not so much against the Reds, but yeah, look, I mean they've what they did this week, they inch closer to five hundred. I said all along, when the wins outnumber the losses, I'll take their chances of sneaking in the playoffs. Seriously, had they won last night, they would have been back to five hundred with a chance to get over five hundred today. Obviously that's that's not going to happen. But uh yeah, that Kansas City team, what what What happened at the game last night, to me was more of a function of good Kansas City pitching than anything else.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, No, I've watched most of the game and it was just I think it was the eighth inning, you know, and it's getting late for me because I got to get up early and do this, and I said, okay, that that's done. And then the three run homer is like, no, I'm shutting the television off, I'm shutting the radio off. I don't need to see anymore. I don't need to know anymore. It's done. I was coming in here Mo this morning, and there has been a little bit of accumulated kitch in our new studios since they're not new anymore. But a couple of years ago we moved and changed studios and a lot of stuff that was in the old studio didn't make it over to the new studio. The talk studios what I'm talking about, and this is all inside baseball stuff for people listening, so they don't care. But you know, we have the John Wayne cut out in here with hats, and got the Willy sign and the Willie Talk Ventriloquist doll, the sitting up on one of the big screen TVs monitors that don't work. And then we've got the Marconi Awards and the Egyptian statue staring directly at me this morning. The first time I've seen this is the big red Jose Rijo sign baseball cap. And the reason I bring this up is the size of this hat. And apparently this was worn by Jose rio I guess he donated it to Willie or somebody signed it for somebody. And I'm just thinking about the size of the head of professional athletes. That's something you don't take into account, you know, unless it's Arry Bonds and you're noticing the growth in the size of the head over the years. Since he was a little beanhead and a rookie and then you know as the monstrous steroid taking or whatever home run hitter. But Jose Rio apparently had a very very large noggin your thoughts.
Speaker 5: And he was a hell of a pitcher as well.
Speaker 1: But you know, everything is it's like Texas. Everything's bigger when you go to professional athletes. I mean, I remember running, literally almost running into Larry Bird. I'm glad I did not, because I would have been severely injured had I As a twenty something in Chattanooga, there was an exhibition NBA game at the Roundhouse there the College Arena, and Boston was there and somebody else, and I'm walking across the base the you know, the the end line underneath the basket to go meet some friends on the other side of the arena at halftime, and I look up just in time to keep from running into Larry Bird, who's being interviewed by a guy from ESPN at halftime. And I'm glad I didn't run into because I'm seriously I would I might have been killed had I just walked into him. Unbeknownst you don't, you don't really get the image of how big. These guys are until you're right next to him. And Larry Bird wasn't even the biggest.
Speaker 5: Guy, but it's I think the largest. I think the largest recorded head in Big League history belong was to future Hall of Fame manager Bruce Bochie was now with the Texas Rangers. Right. Wore a hat when he was a player, with the measurement being eight and and one eighth right, so you know, most most people like I'm I'm about a seven and a half. So he was managing at the time the San Diego Padres, and I had heard Bruce Bochie had the largest head in the recorded Big League history. And at the time I was doing some freelance stream and the Padres were in town, and what I was most excited about was going into the Padres clubhouse and getting sound from Bruce Bochie so I could see if that head was as as big as I had heard.
Speaker 12: It was a watermelon.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was unbelievable. Very nice man, very nice man. Uh and and a Hall of Fame manager. He's won for a World Series. He's taking three three team to do the World Series.
Speaker 16: But very.
Speaker 1: We got we got a role. We've got Ken Brew here previous bingals. MO have a great weekend. I'll see it, huddles.
Speaker 30: Tri State RAM truck buyers visit Mike Castrosy Ram in Fairfax today. The twenty twenty four model year D clearance is here on new twenty twenty four RAM Light duty pickup trucks, the last of the iconic HEMI engine RAM pickup take fourteen thousand dollars off the sticker price of select twenty twenty four RAM pickups, but that's only at Mike Castracy Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Fairfax. Tri State Jeep Wrangler buyers visit Mike Castrucy Jeep in Fairfax today.
Speaker 1: The twenty twenty four model year end