Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI A six forty. It is a Taco Tuesday, September tenth, we continue with the program, and oh.
Speaker 2: Got so much going on today.
Speaker 1: First of all, the fires are still going crazy, and it's hot, hot, hot.
Speaker 2: I think it breaks tonight, as.
Speaker 1: I said earlier, since I live and I'm in Orange County half the time. And then up at the station also, I was able to see the fire on the ridges above me, and the whole ridge was on fire. Boy, that is a delightful feeling, all right. The other big story is the big debate tonight, and it's going to be I'm assuming astronomical ratings. And this is the first time that Trump and Harris have looked at each other been in the same room. And what are we going to be looking for? Well, they're both going to be moving towards the middle. I think there are two kinds of attacks and I am assuming that. And this is what the advisors of Trump are just really scared of that he loses control when he goes into personal diet tribes, which he has done against Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: And if he does that, it's going to be a real problem. For him. She is vulnerable on a couple of areas. She is vulnerable on.
Speaker 1: The economy because the economy did do better under Trump, there wasn't the kind of inflation that was that we experienced under the Biden Harris administration. She is vulnerable on the border. She has on the economy, she's vulnerable on the border. She's vulnerable. Unlike Biden. Age is not going to be a factor. Interesting that it's not gone the other way because now you have a seventy eight year old that's running in we are not hearing an age issue because he's one of the youngest, if not the youngest.
Speaker 2: Seventy eight year olds I've ever seen. I mean, the guy has energy that's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Now here's the problem with Donald Trump is you are going to hear this, I guarantee, lie after lie after lie after.
Speaker 2: Lie, and all you're going to hear on the other side is that's.
Speaker 1: Not true, not true, not true, not true. You're going to hear inflation is out of control, it is not. You are going to hear the economies in the worst shape it's ever been. You are going to hear that If Kamala Harris gets elected, the United States will cease to exist. Seriously, America will stop being America if Kamala Harris is the president. She is a communist, She is a fascist.
Speaker 2: That's in the same speech.
Speaker 1: And you're going to hear her talk about his personal character.
Speaker 2: You are going to hear her.
Speaker 1: Talk about that he is, in fact a threat to democracy if he goes into the election was stolen. That He does it virtually every speech. I think people are just tired of that, that's all. They're just tired of it. You can't keep on revisiting and revisiting that issue. So at this point, he has not gotten his message. The campaign was prepared to be anti Biden. That is what the Trump campaign was about, and it had to switch gears very quickly. Has he found his voice? Well, I believe the two areas. She's most vulnerable and by the way, I'm not alone because I'm looking at what the country is feeling about it in all the polls, and that is the economy in the border. Okay, if he sticks to those Annie sticks to she's a California Liberal, which by the way, she really is in many ways. She's going to talk about crime and that she was a prosecutor. And I think that's going to take a lot of power away from Trump talking about how liberal she was because she nailed people, although there were a couple of instances that she didn't.
Speaker 2: And so it's going.
Speaker 1: To be fascinating. And the one issue is where's Trump going to go on this. That's the part that's the most fascinating. Now, Trump won on the debate the fact that the microphones will be off while the microphone be off to the non speaker. In other words, when one of them is speaking, the other one has a microphone off. She wanted the microphones to be on because she wanted him to go out of control and interrupt. Some good news is no studio audience questions, you have follow up. It's the CNN rules, which I thought were wonderful. Can you imagine a studio audience screaming one way or the other?
Speaker 2: I mean, just getting in the way.
Speaker 1: It is going to be absolutely just phenomenal of what's going to happen. The other thing is, I think you're going to see this that Biden really wasn't the president.
Speaker 2: It was Harris who was the president.
Speaker 1: She controlled everything that went south during the Biden administration. Much like during the Pen's administration, Donald Trump really wasn't the president.
Speaker 2: You're gonna hear.
Speaker 1: Her talk about the wall that he was building and that Mexico was going to pay for it. That disappeared instantly. You're gonna hear talk of tariffs. You're gonna hear talk where Trump stood.
Speaker 2: Up to China.
Speaker 1: He did, and he gives and he's given a lot of credit for that. NATO and how he's run away from our allies and what he said is you don't come to the table and pay your share, we're.
Speaker 2: Out of there. He's the one that did that. He's the one that.
Speaker 1: Is and should be given credit for that because the United States was being taken advantage of by our allies and we did pay for so much of the NATO forces.
Speaker 2: So both sides have an argument.
Speaker 1: Both sides are vulnerable, and if they stick to the policy issues, I think we're going to have a chance in November to really figure out where the country is going. Every single election, you hear, this is the most important election we've ever had in the history United States. This is we're at the crossroads. We are going to see which way the country goes. By the way this time is true. This is not crying wolf, and they are in a dead heat at this point. All within the margin of air, particularly in the Swing States, were the only votes that count are in the Swing States. When al Gore came out with that film, if you remember about.
Speaker 2: CO two, they are that is on fire.
Speaker 1: He was let's just say he was ridiculed, he was made fun of. Well, let me tell you he was one hundred percent right. And I will tell you it is getting worse. I'll tell you where the scientists were wrong. They made fun of all the scientists. Oh my god, all of.
Speaker 2: This doom is here. Doom, gloom is doom.
Speaker 1: And you know the scientists were wrong because it's moving at a much faster clip than ever expected. There is a report that just came out published in the journal Earth System Science Data entitled It's not just about Kyle farts, It's about global methane emissions over the last five years have risen faster than ever and at least two thirds of those emissions are now coming from human source. By the way, we joke about Coyle farts, they are in fact a reasonably large percentage of the methane that is out there. There is I think they're coming out with these massive Zelman's minty mouth mints about the size of grapefruits for cows, which she seems to help. Okay, there's a line chart they show in this story. It was out of the times. Global methane concentration has been on the rise since the nineteen eighties, just when those people that were anti climate change, and there's actually a few out there, which is kind of crazy, were saying, oh no, no, it was going up like crazy, and experts are saying, whoa this is concerning?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Because the planet is on track to go far beyond the desired limit of two point seven degrees of warming, and that's over the pre industrial era. The international benchmark is one point five degrees celsius.
Speaker 2: That is where that line is.
Speaker 1: And if you look at the twenty tens, methade, methane contributed to nearly one degree.
Speaker 2: Now that is huge. Think of one degree, Come on, big deal.
Speaker 1: While we're on a trajectory that is about three degrees celsius right now, way beyond the one point five double What critical mass is? Critical mass means that we've gone over the edge. Global warming is here. You cannot stop it. It's going to get.
Speaker 2: Worse and worse.
Speaker 1: All you can do is slow it down, and it's going to have disastrous consequences as if it's not occurring now, rapid melting of the ice sheets, prolonged heat waves and droughts. Really walk outside, would you please, And let's talk about the temperature that's been there for the last few days, Phoenix, over one hundred days of temperatures north of one hundred degrees.
Speaker 2: How about water shortages? You don't think.
Speaker 1: Famine around the world, political and social unrest. There're gonna be two types of wars in the future. We're not going to have ground wars, well for the most part. What you're gonna have is cyber wars. And you're not gonna have wars based on politics. You're gonna have wars based on water. That's the future. Methane is thirty to eighty times stronger at warming than CO two ton for ton, and we're told it's eighty times more dangerous and more harmful to the environment. Now, there is some decent news within all that there is some kind of silver lining of clouds that don't exist anymore. Methane lasts about ten years in the atmosphere, co two lasts hundreds.
Speaker 2: Of years in the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: And there are two categories of methane sources. One human sources, agriculture fossil fuels, agriculture including Kyle farts. I love talking about that because that actually it's a thing. It's a thing, I'm telling you, agriculture, fossil fuels. Of course, landfills waste, and then you have natural sources wetlands, bogs, marshes, and they release methane when bacteria breaks down the organic manner. The point is the biggest share of methane that's coming out into our atmosphere is from human sources, and it's not slowing down. We're using more fossil fuels than ever before. California is doing very well with alternative fuels. I mean we're about thirty percent thirty five percent, so we're ahead of the stated policy. The problem is it's California. There are places that are just a touch bigger China, India, all of Asia, Africa. We're talking entire continents. So California is doing great, but how about India where they're building coal fire plants, China where they're building coal coal fire plants like crazy, and ice truck What was the name of that television show Ice.
Speaker 2: Truckers, Ice road truckers or ice road truckers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they travel travel on these roads of permafrost, permafrost being during the summer, you go on roads and even when it rains, they're still fine because ten feet under is permafrost and that is land ground that never defrosts.
Speaker 2: Well, you now, how have.
Speaker 1: Ice ice road truckers which I forgot the name already. They are now creating trucks that are amphibious trucks because they are sinking into the ground. And that's just one example. This is happening all over the world, and this is one And I've said this before, and this is not me joking either, This is not shtick. I am glad that I am not a young person. I do not envy my children. I do not envy my grandchildren living in a world where we're looking at this much climate change.
Speaker 2: It is pretty depressing.
Speaker 1: And this is not me making fun of Death's at Disneyland or whatever. By the way, that's the podcast that drops today, Death in the House of the Mouse, the Bill Handleshow podcast. I know I'm pitching it, but Neil it's in my new podcast, and I want people to go to it. And what's the name of this show? I forgot for a moment. It's what is the name of our show here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Bill Handles show.
Speaker 1: That's right, and you're not going to pitch it, so I am going to.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's a lot of methane being produced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh there, believe me, there is. That's why, Thank goodness, I can turn off the mic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have an on off switch here because you're right, there's a lot of methane being produced. Okay, So those are the big news stories we're covering. Excuse me, And now I want to tell you about something called the thirty by thirty conservation goal and what is that about? Well, there is, was, and is a plan to conserve thirty percent of California's land in coastal waters by twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: And since the start.
Speaker 1: Of this thirty by thirty initiative, California has added nearly one point five million acres of conserved land. It's about twenty five percent of the goal and there's five years still left. I mean, this is a real success story among conservationists. Newsome of course, taking credit In twenty twenty, I signed an executive order to conserve thirty percent of lands thirty percent of coastal waters in California by twenty thirty. We're on track to achieve this. And this is beyond just conservation. Also plans to restore biodiversity, expand access to nature.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Help mitigate and build resilience to climate change.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much that's going to do.
Speaker 1: Also, returning indigenous land to indigenous peoples.
Speaker 2: There's a whole program there where state land, and this is.
Speaker 1: Vacant state land is going back to traditional tribes.
Speaker 2: That lived on the land.
Speaker 1: Now there is a move among the Yana Indian tribes to have the area known as Beverly Hills return to them, and that's not going so well. The people that own the buildings in Beverly Hills are saying, we're not going to do that. So, as I said, we're talking about massive acreage in state owned effectively parkland.
Speaker 2: There are two national monuments that have been expanded.
Speaker 1: The San Gabriel Mountains National Monument had no idea and even existed. And here's one that is so well known, the very Sis Snow Mountain National Monument.
Speaker 2: You heard of that one.
Speaker 1: No, No, There is also one hundred million dollars for the return of roughly thirty nine thousand acres to indigenous communities, the Hoopa Valley tribe, and they're the ones that actually, traditionally.
Speaker 2: They invented the Hula Hoopa.
Speaker 1: That's simply one of the traditional dances that the Indian tribes had. The Hoopa Valley Tribe was able to acquire about ten thousand acres of their lands and the Klamath River Watershed formerly being managed by the Timber Trust, and Newsom said the grants award were an acknowledgment of past sins, a promise of accountability and commitment to a better future.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of politics, obviously.
Speaker 1: But California is that the forefront forefront of this and other states are moving in that direction, Nevada, South Carolina, Hawaii, Maine, New York, and they're moving towards their own thirty by thirty goals. And in twenty twenty one, President Biden unveiled the national version of the thirty to thirty plan. It was called America the Beautiful Initiative, and that's seeing.
Speaker 2: Forty million acres conserved.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Kamala Harris is going to mention that tonight.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: And the only problem that it has is Newsom is looking at a forty five billion dollar deficit this year. So it was the program was cut about three hundred million dollars. You go, wait a minute, isn't that the whole program? No, because one point three billion dollars that was previously allocated has been well at one point six billion dollars that was previously allocated is now one point three billions, So that's three hundred million dollars less. Several plans underway. Proposal to designate Chuckawalla National Monument, no idea. That's in the eastern Coachella Valley, and that's where Coachella they have the famous Indian rock and roll bands that are there every year. Okay, done. The airport fire, that's one of the big ones. Chris Adler is covering.
Speaker 2: That for us.
Speaker 1: We will oh free tatas. I'm telling you, free tatas.
Speaker 2: Is it the frittatas or the stuff that you put on the fort. It's a top of you sauce, that's what it is. It's the hot sauce. It gets in your throat and you cough a little bit. All right.
Speaker 1: Let's uh, well, we got fires all over southern California and one of them is the Airport fire, among others. And Chris Adler is at the Airport fire, our own Chris Saddler. Chris, what's going on and what kind of containment?
Speaker 2: And this looks pretty depressing all the way around right.
Speaker 3: Now, Hey Belle, good morning. Yeah, So this fire has now burned more than eighty five hundred acres since it broke out yesterday afternoon. They're calling at the Airport fire because it's near the RC flyers Field where people fly remote controlled planes, not an actual airport per se. So now, like you said, zero percent containment, they have. They have had more than one thousand firefighters on scene yesterday started yesterday afternoon from multiple agencies including CalFire, Anaheim Fire, and even firefighters from out of state. I was speaking with firefighters from Arizona who had said they hadn't been home in days. They've been called out to help battle these fires here in California. We were watching planes drop retardant, we were watching helicopters drop water, and OC Fire Authority is using their OC fire Hark fire hawk that can now drop one thousand gallons of water in each drop bill and they dropped multiple drops. But this fire is spreading and it's it's right. Yesterday when I was speaking to firefighters, they had told me were at that time there was no threat to anybody living in the area, that it was blowing up and away from homes.
Speaker 2: But it is spreading.
Speaker 3: So now more than eighty five hundred acres, zero percent containment, So there are evacuation warnings still in certain areas, evacuation orders where cal Fire says there's an immediate threat to life in Robinson Ranch, Tribuco Highlands, and the Tribuco Highland Apartment Complex where those streets have been surrounded. I'm sorry, not surrounded, but blocked off keeping the public out.
Speaker 1: I am now in Orange County and I'm looking in my backyard up on the on the hill and behind me is Trabuco Canyon, and last night I saw the entire ridge on fire with the flames, and it must have been three miles away. And let me tell you how troubling that is. It's not me talking about it, it's not you reporting. It's looking at my house. And going, whoa, that's what's going on. And there was this billowing smoke that was.
Speaker 2: Coming out of it. This morning.
Speaker 1: I walk outside and you have this smoke down in the valley.
Speaker 2: And which way is it moving at this point?
Speaker 1: Because I may be throwing it to Amy and Neil to take over as I get my ass out of town.
Speaker 3: Right so they're watching it right now there, So it is moving. It's slowly moving. They're trying to surround it from the ground. But some of these areas bill are some of the areas in the canyon are not accessible or it's difficult to access for the firefighters, which is why they're relying so heavily on these airborne attacks and the retardant. But the retardant once the sun goes down, those planes can't fly in and drop the retardant, so they have to wait for the sun to come back up. But the helicopters are able to still go in and drop water because it's so dry, and even though there was so rain from this last rainy season, it's still so dry, and the heat that so much brush in the area. It quickly caught fire. It started slow, but it spread so rapidly because of how dry it was. And we also learned that there was there were four people in that area when the fire broke out that had to be airlifted out, including a three year old child. They got quickly surrounded by the fire when it broke out. And I don't know if you heard, but the way that this fire started was there were public works crews in the area moving heavy boulders with heavy machinery. They were actually trying to clear pathways, block pathways so that people wouldn't hang out in that area so that fires wouldn't get started from people visiting the area. And they ended up starting a fire themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, and that's.
Speaker 3: How it started. The smoke started. I guess it started to catch fire, the hot fire.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, go ahead, Now, how ironic is it? Fire batement procedures causing a fire.
Speaker 2: And I know you're gonna be out there. I got to cut you off because we're out of time.
Speaker 1: But as you're out there fitzing in the heat, I just want you to think of me sitting here in air conditions to.
Speaker 3: I will tell them to watch Bill Handle's house.
Speaker 2: That's all that matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you very much. Yeah, all right, Chris you're gonna be there for a while and reporting. Thanks for the Yeah. Better her than me, that's for sure. KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.