Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to what the caller was saying. Obviously, not a Jared Goff fan doesn't have to be, doesn't make him wrong. I disagree with him. He says green Bay. In terms of our pole question for today, we ask which was the biggest threat? San Francisco is the runaway winner? Green Bay was second. Our caller said it was green Bay. He disagrees with the Lions giving Golf the four year extension, and I think what he said in there, and I don't want to lose sight of it, was that you didn't have to because they had another gear left. Now, I would say this when quarterbacks go into when a quarterback goes into a final season, especially coming off the year that Jared Goff had last season leading his team to the NFC Championship Game, a guy who I think has exceeded what people thought he would be when he came here. Sixty seven completion percentage, close to forty six hundred yards, thirty tds, twelve interceptions. Maybe those numbers don't impress you. The twelve and five record should second best record of his career because when he went thirteen and three his third season in the league, but second year as a starter, they went to the super Bowl in LA. If you go into a season this year, I think, first of all, the media is all going to be asking Ben Johnson, Dan Campbell, Brad Holmes, Jared Goff and every player about his contract. It creates dare I say a distraction? Let's say you say to that tough so what get through it and keep going? Those are talking points where your quarterback suddenly feels like, Okay, I'm constantly reminded of this, how do I feel about this organization? Then it might go up. His price tag might go up if he has another good year. I think the other thing you have to take into account is how this team is perceived around the league. This team is turned the corner. Did you read the article the other day where an agent had said all his clients who are wide receivers are saying, find me a way to get to Detroit. This has become a destination site because of a lot of reasons. Dan Campbell, Ben Johnson, the way Brad Holmes runs his business, Chris Pielman. But Jared Goff too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what I found interesting about that, I think it was specifically receivers that they kind of singled out. Receivers want to come here, and it's it's Jared Goff and it's this offense.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why I say it's it's Ben Johnson. There's a lot of different reasons, but Jared Goff's part of the reason. He may not be the only reason, but he's part of the reason people are recognizing. I would ask this, Sam Laporte had an unbelievable season, one of the best, if not the best, is a rookie tight end in the history of the sport. Do you think he did it all on his own? Do you think aman Ross Saint Brown gets that contract on his own? Do you think Penney Seoul gets that contract on his own? Do you think Jared Goff gets that contract on his own? No, But Jared Goff is part of helping others get better, just like they help him. All Right, So I think that's really important to take note of. Now you think that's going to cash strap him, Brad Holmes is too smart for that. It's not going to cash strap him. And then, lastly, if not him, who you have seen some of the free agent quarterbacks who have signed contracts with other teams, and you've seen what has happened. First of all, you don't see many great quarterbacks leave their teams. Sure, Aaron Rodgers left the Packers get a little bit older, it was time to turn the page. And you know what, the guy who was ready for it, Jordan Love. All right, who is it you want? That's what I always ask people. That's fine, you don't like him, that's cool, all right. I said this with Stafford, I've said it with other players. It doesn't have to be just a quarterback. You don't like this guy, that's fine. Give me who you want instead. And the reason I asked that is because of the importance of the position, and because you've got to be sure you know what you like. Maybe you want Miler Moss, the kid from USC. Maybe you want somebody like that Drew Aller. Those are the guys I want. Hey, listen, man, there's a lot of teams out there still looking for quarterbacks. There's a lot of teams out there that were like Jared Goff. There's a lot of teams out there that are going right now. I don't know if we can win High New York Giants. I don't know if we can win. There are other teams out there going Yeah, we're gonna give the reins to our rookie quarterback, but we have to be prepared just in case, because it may be a struggle.
Speaker 2: Rake May.
Speaker 1: He's right, gat Drake May is not starting right well. Levis has got a really good arm, but Tennessee is not expected to be really good, and he'll be in his second year. Here's what I would ask you this, Who do you want so the free agent quarterbacks? Let's just take a look. I mean Dak Prescott. You're gonna pay him. It's thirty one, it's older than Jared Goff. You gotta play justin fields who couldn't beat out Russell Wilson. You want a guy like Jacoby Brissette, he'll be a free agent. He'll only being the starting quarterback in New England because their offensive line sucks and they don't want Drake May to get shell shocked. Do you want Sam Darnold? Do you want Mac Jones? Do you want Jameis Winston?
Speaker 2: And you talk to all of this as a resulting, No, do.
Speaker 1: You want Jimmy Garoppolo?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Do you want Joe Flacco? Those are your free agent quarterbacks coming up? Okay, love tongue of Belowa. They're off the market. Okay, other guys are Those are their free agents if not Jared Goff. And I'm not saying you're wrong here, even though I disagree with you. I'm just asking you who is it you want running your huddle? Oh it's Hendon Hooker? Oh okay, Hendon Hooker hasn't taken an NFL snap. You and I have taken as many snaps in an NFL regular season game as Hendon Hooker. And you want to rely on that In a season and an era of Lions football where you have become one of the favorites to win not just the NFC, but perhaps the Super Bowl, you think it's a bad idea to lock up a quarterback who led you to a television title last year, won twelve games, is widely considered a top ten quarterback and who your team loves.
Speaker 2: You have got to be careful what you wish for. And Chef, I think what you just said is brilliant because this team is Super Bowl or bust. That's why that question you ask, if not golf, then who is so important? Because got to be Christians you just gave you would way rather have GoF than every single one of those guys you just named.
Speaker 1: Right, You've got to be prepared to answer the question. If not the guy you despise or disagree with, then who you know? How there's always that Oh, I'm going to go into my boss's office and I'm going to kind of complain about a situation. What is the best advice? Have a solution before you go in there? Right, Yes, Boss, I would think we should do it this way. What are your thoughts? You don't go in and say I don't like it that way. I don't think it works. Because the boss is gonna say how would you do it? Then you better be prepared for that, be prepared for the answer. I don't care what it is. In any situation. It's the same thing here. You don't want Jared Goff, Okay, who do you want? Well? And none of the guys I mentioned, not one of them. A are better than Jared Goff, B any other fan base would want, and C are worth risking because they haven't proven themselves either. You may like Justin Fields, you may like Jacoby Pressett. Neither one of them have proven what Jared Goff has proven. We mentioned Dak Prescott will be the name for our free agent quarterbacks this offseason, after this year. Okay, and by the way he's going in Dallas, doesn't have him locked up. Let's see how that performs. Let's see how he performs. What's everybody asking about in Dallas? They're asking about Dak Prescott in the contract Ceedee, Lamb's locked up. Now they're asking about Dak press Scott