Speaker 1: It's on Boston, all right, welcome back. We have touched on this topic before, but we haven't talked about reparations. Recently, joining me is Reverend Kevin Peterson, who has been an advocate for reparations for slavery and also has been an advocate for changing the name of Fannel Hall because it's named after Peter Fannel, a Bostonian from the middle of the eighteenth century who owned slaves. Reverend Peterson, welcome back to Nightside.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dan. I'm glad to be back on again.
Speaker 1: I know that you were involved in an event on Saturday at the Arlington Street Church and I was surprised how well and I was disappointed, But I don't know how you felt about it. Can generate. The only media coverage that I could see if it was some coverage from WBZ news radio. It looked as if the local TV stations in both The Globe and The Herald chose not to cover the event. Did I miss a coverage that? Because I was looking today to try to do a little research on it, I couldn't find anything other than the WBZ news report.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you didn't miss the coverage that scantily appeared related to this very historic event on Friday.
Speaker 1: Let me for folks who might have missed it, I'm going to ask Rob to play cut thirty six. This was Kendall Mule's wrap, just to kind of set it up so people know what we're talking about and then we can get into get into the issues. Why don't you play cut thirty six please? Rob?
Speaker 3: There was a dark history behind many of the points of light that are Boston's churches.
Speaker 4: White churches in Boston were founded really in the colonial era on the proceeds of the slave trade.
Speaker 3: That's Reverend John Gibbons with other members of Boston's white clergy gathered at the Arlington Street Church to sign an atonement statement formally apologizing for their church's complicity and slavery and its legacy. Also, it's anywhere black faith leaders who signed the document his witnesses, among them Reverend Kevin Peterson, who calls this an important first step.
Speaker 4: The second part is reparations, restoring what is owed to those who were harmed. And then the third part of this process is reconciliation to come in together of whites and blacks.
Speaker 3: Peterson says today's proceedings are the first of their kind in the nation's history. Kendall Bulden w Busy Boston's news.
Speaker 1: Radio, so that this was Saturday after I guess it was Saturday afternoon. It was an indoor events, so I'm not sure what time lest I think it was Saturday afternoon. And there was a letter, a pretty long statement called the Confession of Spiritual Sin and a call to sacred atonement, reparations and reconciliation from predominantly white churches in metropolitan Boston. Kevin, how many churches were represented at the ceremony on Saturday?
Speaker 2: It was just syh of forty churches, forty faith leaders, white faith leaders from uh some of some of them from the downtown churches at Boston who had a direct connection to the legacy of Lomny.
Speaker 1: Denominations were were represented? Were they mostly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say about yeah, Protestant, Protestant, No, no, no. Catholic representation of the The Catholic Church has talked about reparations and repair and addressing the evils, and.
Speaker 1: So most of the most of the churches would have dated back to I guess the the early eighteenth century. Is that you know, I'm trying to some of the church content context here.
Speaker 2: Yes, some of some of the churches date back to the colonial air where slavery existed. In those churches, including King's Chapel and Old South Church UH, the Old North Church. UH, they were involved in one way or another in the Transatlantic slave trade. Either pastors owned slaves or slaves worked in those sacred edifices, or they profited indirectly through through the sale of slaves. Other churches who signed on to this document or signing on because they were confessing the sin of being associated with the perpetuation of systemic racism over the last three centuries. So while those churches don't date back or some of those churches don't date back to the colonial area of era, they expressed apology and remorse and renouncement because during during the three centuries of of anti black oppression in Boston, they in some ways stood silent.
Speaker 1: Okay, So did I know? And again, I we've talked about this before, and I want to get to phone callers as well. I know that when we last talked, I think it was a few months ago, you and others had come up with a figure of about fifteen billion dollars and that was a figure that just for discussion purposes you felt would be an appropriate figure for Is that the city of Boston or is that easterns or New England?
Speaker 2: Yes, no, the city of Boston.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, no problem. So did any of these churches. It's one thing to sign a document. Did any of these churches make an offer of a penance? Since we put it in a spiritual sense and say, hey, well, reparations women, I'm using I'm using it kind of in the context of penance for the sins of their predecessors. And none of the ministers who signed this, I'm sure ever had anything to do directly with the slave trade, but they now represent those churches. Again, did any of them say, hey, we pledge or on behalf of our congregation, we pledge x numbers of dollars to the establishment of a fund or was it all just? And again I want to say simply, but was it all just the signing of a document lamenting what had happened without offering any again, actual financial support.
Speaker 2: The answer is simply put, Yes, there was a very great need and there's very it's ceiling. It's important for the churches to make us their first move penance acknowledgement, apology, atonement as part of the process of repair. That's reparations, that's the penance you talk about, and then we move on to reconciliation. So the dependance or the repair that's been committed is up to fifty million dollars of a commitment to from the collective of churches, most of which are connected to the slave trade translated strange thing. So it's fifty million dollars that over the next two years is forthcoming in terms of payments into Boston's black community.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you broke up with me, So it's the commitment is fifty five million dollars over the next two years.
Speaker 2: Now, in the coming years, a commitment of fifty five zero fifty millions will be committed to Boston's black community and so a number of churches, okay.
Speaker 1: And so when you say coming years, there's no is not a time specific it's at some point.
Speaker 2: Well informally, the the two undred and fiftieth anniversary of the Nation has two years from now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where we're coming hard upon that because we got the Boston Tea Party, uh fifty anniversary of the Tea Party in December of this year. So it's a two and a half two and a half months from now. So at this point, where will that money be deposited and how will it be distributed, assuming that it actually materializes.
Speaker 2: And Uh, well, we're we're.
Speaker 1: Or if there's not a plan prepared, that's fine. I'm not trying to put you on the spot. I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're confident that it will materialize. Uh, these churches of the Episcopal Church, the Old South Church, others have have stated in meetings that they're prepared to make this commitment. Uh, A mechanism a has not been clearly articulated in terms of how it gets into the black community. Usage of these funds have not been clearly articulated. But we were anticipating a, you know, a historic investment in the black community.
Speaker 1: Who would be able could we make a little news here and could you share with us maybe the the the amount of the commitment of let us say, the top three churches or the top three you know religions, what has been committed specifically.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not prepared to do that at this point, but I am prepared to say I'm prepared to say with confidence that up to fifty million dollars will be invested from across the denominations, the Episcopal Church and in other Protestant churches that that date back. Kay, I will say I would say, I will say that King's Chapel is involved, in Old South Church and in Trinity Church. They're all involved in contributing to this initial pool of fifty million dollars, which will go to things like economic development and housing and maybe some cash payouts into the black community.
Speaker 1: But I just, I just you know, want to make very make clear my question. So, yes, you cannot tell us that a specific either individual church such as.
Speaker 2: Well, I won't put a number to it, but I won't put a number to it. But I will say that Old South Church, UH, Trinity and King's Chapel are churches that have that have committed to monetary offerings in wake of.
Speaker 1: Their specifically In other words, it's one thing to say, yeah, we're going to try to do something. It's one thing to say we're going to make a contribution for reparations.
Speaker 2: Of this is what the church, This is what these churches are doing. Yeah, I don't want to pin a specific number on one particular church.
Speaker 1: No, No, I understand, I'm I'm just changing the question a little bit because it's to me, it's fascinating. If it's one thing for churches to sign a document or ministers to sign a document and bemoan the terrible things that happened, it's quite another then for someone to say we should raise, you know, as a start, fifty million dollars towards the figure of five billion dollars. But I just want to make sure I understand that, and if you're not prepared to answer a specific I get that, and I accept that. But a the churches Protestant churches in Boston that have said we commit X to get to fifty million dollars, there's got to be some substantial commitments. Are the names of churches and amounts on a piece of paper that you don't want to disclose to us, which I understand. But you know that this church has pledged X. This church has pledged yuh, and this church has pledged has pledged Z.
Speaker 2: That' said exactly, yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so you have a good idea that this fifty million can be met. Okay, great, let's let's take some phone calls. We got to take a break. My guest is Reverend Kevin Peterson. He believes that a figure of fifteen billion dollars is.
Speaker 2: Well, let me correct, Let me correct that there are two pools of money. Fifteen billion dollars is what black residents have demanded from the city of Boston and wake of their apology around the Tansilantis play trade. Another pool of money, it's fifty million dollars to which churches have committed.
Speaker 1: And oh, yeah, no, I understand that. I'm sorry, I do know. I mean, I think we're very clear in the fifty million committed from the churches. Although I can't get a specifics I I do have that specific number from you, which I appreciate. And the fifteen billion dollars you have a commit a group, I believe, And if you'd like to identify the group, I think of people who have worked on this figure, and you're involved with the group who has basically identified the number of fifteen billion as what would be necessary? What is the group that has that has come.
Speaker 2: On the founder of the Boston People's Reparations Commission Gotcha, which is a grassroots organization which adds over the last year organize the black community around reparations. And we've surfaced this number of an initial fifteen billion dollar commitment.
Speaker 1: Initial, absolutely, I think that's important to emphasize, Reverend initial. Not certainly the final number would be higher than that. And and just for clarification, and I think we've discussed this before. If I'm wrong, please correct me, and then well then we'll take a very quick break. This is not something that an individual has to who lives in Boston does not have to prove that they are a direct descendant of someone who was enslaved. This fifteen billion dollars could go to benefit any member of the black community in Boston. Is I understand that or am I wrong on that?
Speaker 2: That's correct as we have it, have the calculus organized at this point. Yes, it would benefit black Bostonians across the board, right, and Will's gift at some point, will that shift at some point as we come closer to our an agreement with the City of Boston, it could shift from being a cash payout disbursement only to the descendants of slaves. So we're not fixated on the exact calcualists in terms of the payout. We also have other categories, such as five billion of fifteen billion being invested in the reconstruction of the black economic community.
Speaker 1: Let me do this. I got to take a break. I shouldn't have opened up that, but we'll have plenty of time to talk about that. I got to take a quick commercial break a little bit past where my break should be. I find this to be a very interesting subject, and again I thank you for joining us. I think it's very important. This was not covered by the newspapers, it wasn't covered by the television stations. I think it was important for your efforts to be recognized. And whether people agree or disagree, they're more than welcome to join the conversation. All I ask is polite conversation. Back on Nightside. The only lines that are open right now are six, one, seven, nine, thirty. Will be right back on Nightside.
Speaker 5: Now back to Dan Way live from the Window World, Nice Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Reverend n this is my guest. We're going to get to phone calls. Let me start it off with I'm going to go to Scott in Quincy. Scott, welcome you at first this hour, get you in here before the news at the bottom of the hour with Reverend Kevin Peterson talking about reparations for the for the black community in Boston.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, well, great show, Dan, and interesting topic. And what I'm curious about on this whole topic is, for example, my ancestors at the same time as the slave trade was going on in Scotland, We're victims of a genocide called the Highland Clearances and fled to Nova Scotia and Canada. So it wouldn't be fair to levy part of my taxes for reparations given what my ancestors were experiencing at the same time. And then when you talk about reparations, you know the descendants of people who were harmed by slavery. There are other African populations who were the slavers who were capturing their fellow countrymen and selling them to the Dutch and the Portuguese. And then you also had the Moors, who were Muslim African Americans from North Africa who were the most prolific of slavers. How do we ensure that reparations money aren't going to the descendants of the people who did the slaving. And in a lot of ways, modern African immigrants who came here may well be the descendants of the people who did the slave trading in Africa. So there are two types of African Americans, those who were harmed by slavery and those who were enslavers. How do you ensure the right people don't get the benefits of reparations? Reverend Dan, what.
Speaker 2: Do you think? Thank you, thanks for the question. You can ensure with any specificity uh Uh at this day and age, whether or not the descendants of the enslavers will will benefit from from reparations. What we are speaking to is a generalized totalizing condition of of African Americans with regard to slavery, and we know it existed in the in this in this nation, wages were stolen, culture was stolen across the board. That was harm done to a total group of people, and totalizing people, a group of people to which there should be apology, uh, and to which there should be uh repair. That leads more importantly to the call and more importantly, this is the point. It leads to racial reconciliation of Boston and some ways is a great city, Uh, it is in other ways a victim of the history of anti blackness, which needs to be addressed so that we get to the point where blacks and whites in this great city are are reconciled and working together so that our children, our children's children enjoy a better metropolis.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Scott, well.
Speaker 6: I get that. I get that, but you know, like I said, you know, the Spanish where something.
Speaker 1: Scott, I think I think you made that point. I think, and I think the Reverend I address that, and I don't think that probably is going to be.
Speaker 6: A gent but like I said, that's just my point. There there are people who deserve reparations and people who who don't. And uh, that's well.
Speaker 1: Amongst the black community, there's there's no way to make that distinction. And uh, I don't know how you would make the distinction, you know, within the within the black community, and so I don't know if there's any way you could suggest that, but it would be very difficult to that's that's for sure.
Speaker 6: Well, one would people who are black and Muslim be considered Moore's who were who were the descendants of slavers?
Speaker 1: You know, again, I think that he answered that question, Scott, to be honest with you, I just think that that he has put it out there in uh in in a direct fashion, and you don't have to agree with it. And I think you've made some great points that other people can think about. So thank you for the call. It is very helpful.
Speaker 6: Yes, excellent, Dan, great show, great show, Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, I have a great night. We've got to take our news at the bottom of the hour. My name is Dan Ray. This is nice side. My guest is the Reverend Kevin Peterson, who is very much in the leadership of the reparation community here in Boston. And you've listened to him. If you'd like to ask a question or make a comment, you're welcome again. I just ask everyone to be polite. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, ten thirty back after this on night Side.
Speaker 5: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: All right, my guests, we're talking about reparations for Boston's black community. Joining me tonight is Reverend Kevin Peterson. He certainly has been the leader on this issue. On Saturday, there was a meeting between people in Boston at the Park Street Church where several members of the clergy of the white Protestant community basically signed a document committing their efforts to raise funds for reparations. And according to Reverend Peterson, he has a commitment of fifteen million dollars from some of the can we call the mainline Protestant churches White Protestant churches here in Boston. Let's keep rolling here and we're going to go next to Richard, who joins us from Newton. Richard, you're next on Nightsiger, right ahead.
Speaker 2: Thanks you a very interesting subject.
Speaker 1: They had Reverend Peterson.
Speaker 2: Good evening reverend on phone. And I think your concept is very different and unique. Unfortunately, I totally disagree with it, because you know, my grandfather came here about eighteen ninety and worked in Walpole for slave wages in the factory for thirty five years, and the Chinese built railroads and they were paid nothing. And I think all the people have died in Vietnam, every one of those soldiers should get at least one hundred thousand dollars. But the problem is life is what it is and whatever happened, that's gout of history. And I think what happened in the South was very bad, and it was it was very cruel, but like anything that was history, I want to be paid for when people took advantage of me when I was a kid and I shoveled driveways for a dollar, there should have been ten dollars.
Speaker 1: By the way, just a clarification. Okay, he's not talking about what happened in the South. He's talking about what happened in Boston. I think that's important to have that focus.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay. I think and what happened in Boston was there there was a certain specific harm perpetrated and perpetuated by some colonial churches. And they've admitted to the sin of holding slaves, the sin of segregating their congregations, sin of forcing black slave enslaved artisans to to to create artifacts for church services.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: They've committed those things, and they've come to the table to say that they're wrong, and they have come to say that they're going to make penance, that they're going to repair or seek to repair some of the harm harm that they're responsible for. I think that's a that's admirable and I think it's within the Judeo Christian UH ethic.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: It follows what we read in the Bible about atonement and making relationships right again or or approximatey H fairness and justice too. I think that's at But I don't think when Jesus died. He said, you know, you guys owe me fifty minion from Rome, because you know, if you guys to me, I mean, life is what it is. And I think what happened was very tough. And I think if they want to donate some money, that's fine, but I think, well.
Speaker 1: No, that that is what that's that's what he's taking you. Richard, we're talking tonight about fifty million dollars in which these churches in Boston would donate. There's there's a larger figure that will eventually get to at some point, probably in a separate conversation, about fifteen billion dollars, which is a multi which you know, you know, what's your word, it's it's a multiple of fifty million. I think the first step.
Speaker 2: Well, why not on the Irish and Italians and Japanese and Chinese deserve, because of their horrible conditions, that they.
Speaker 1: Can I think, I think the golf here.
Speaker 2: I don't think they don't get it.
Speaker 1: Richard. I'm glad you called. I'm glad you made those points, but I don't think that there's much that that you and and Reverend Peterson are going to a career upon here.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you I was just trying to give my opinion.
Speaker 7: You have, you know, Gill, let.
Speaker 1: Me get a comment from Reverend Peterson here and try to get a conversation going.
Speaker 2: He doesn't, Well, I would, I would, I would say, I would say, Richard, respectfully, respectfully, you're you're wrong on this question.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: The federal government apologized for to Japanese, to the Japanese for internment during the war time in World War Two, and they gave they paid penance, they gave money to Japanese. That was different. That was a war. That was a war. No, well, of course it was a war, but they perpetuated.
Speaker 1: Please give Peterson the courtesy of making his his point. The difference there was the government paid the Japanese families. The US government paid the families of Japanese American citizens who were wrongfully imprisoned because of ignorance or fear. Go ahead, Reverend.
Speaker 2: So they apologized, and then they they sought to repair the situation by paying reparations. The same aim is the case with UH. The Native American community, to which the federal government has apologized and to which allocations of money have been directed to Native Americans in the United States and in Canada. So there is president where a government or on the federal level UH has paid reparations, and these churches are simply following UH in that regard. In some ways, it really comes out of the Judea Christian Christian ethic, where there are a number of stories and number of UH biblical edicts so to speak, that speak to the act of atonement and repair as a way towards reconciliation between individuals. So they were gentlemen, there's biblical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gentlemen, I think that each of you has take out a position.
Speaker 2: And the more time he has so far, so I'd like another minute.
Speaker 1: Then I think, actually, Richard, you've had more time. I'll give you thirty seconds. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Okay. What happened the Japanese was horrible, but it was because it was a war, and because it was a war, that's why they were taken care of in this country. Don't earn it and you don't deserve it. That's just my opinion.
Speaker 1: Ye, thank you very much for your opinion. Richard, Thank you very much. Appreciate your call. We're going to keep rolling here. We're going to go next to where we'll go next. Let me go to Jim. Jim, I got to get you in here before the break at the quarter of the hour.
Speaker 7: Go right ahead, man, I'll be brief as usual. Hello, Kevin and uh the other callers. I've been thinking about this kind of stuff a long time and considering it, and I've come to the conclusion that Caucasians were first on planet Earth, and as such we're the rightful owners of it. So we're owed rent back rent in the form of reparations by all the other minorities.
Speaker 1: How do you know?
Speaker 7: How do you listen to George Norri?
Speaker 6: But yeah, what is that?
Speaker 7: It's in the Bible.
Speaker 1: And go ahead.
Speaker 7: So if you if you off, if you offset your seventy million against our eight hundred million years, you come up with us, all of us being know, seven hundred and twenty million each. So you just figure out how you're gonna pay that and let us know.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, thanks, thanks, all right, quick get to that point.
Speaker 2: Okay, well scientifically and answer logically that's that's not true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it was attempting to make that point. Ref fair enough, fair enough, Okay, take a quick break here, I got uh, I got a couple of open lines at six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty and six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Again, I think the important thing to point out is this is a voluntary contribution that some predominantly Protestant white churches. There are Protestant black churches, but these are white churches in Boston that have made this commitment. Very quick question, Kevin, before I go to break, are there any Catholic parishes who have made or are formerly the archdiocese? Have they made any financial commitment of any sort of of any Jewish synagogues or temples made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Catholic Church. They're at the table, so they've been part of these meetings and these conversations. Cardinal outgoing Cardinal O'Malley has made a wonderful expression of atonement and a commitment towards the Catholic Church being involved in repair. The Catholic Church stood silent in Boston doing three centuries, well since the three surches, but doing centuries of where blacks were oppressed on.
Speaker 1: So this is more than slavery because obviously I don't think Catholic Church was actually established here in America until the nineteenth century. I don't think Catholic Church either the Catholic Church or Catholic Church leaders were involved in slavery. That's a different, different issue and one of my Jewish centergogue or Jewish temples.
Speaker 2: No, none at the moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got it. Let's take a quick break. I got a bunch of calls. Want to get to everyone. We're coming right back on Nightside with Reverend Kevin Peterson talking about reparations for members of the black community here in Boston, initially from white Protestant churches, some of the oldest houses of worship in the city of Boston. Actually back on NIGHTSID after this.
Speaker 5: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z to news radio.
Speaker 1: Back to the calls to go. Let's go to Antonio, who's calling in from Roxbury. Hy Antonio, welcome, you were on with Reverend Kevin Peterson right ahead.
Speaker 8: Hi, good evening.
Speaker 2: Thank you for only to get through.
Speaker 8: My name is ANTHONYA. Atwards. I am a descendant of American freeman who was a formally emancipated slave, and I just want to let you know that I can't we are continuously working with Kevin Peterson with his organization in the community. And I also want to say that I was a cloud descendant of American freemen to be able to participate in the actual editing and writing of the apology and then being at the ceremony on the twenty seventh with the clergy and hearing this apology. And so the reason why I want to say this is I think there's a huge misconception and a breakdown of education and our community. And it's one thing that my organization does were a heritage organization, the United Stuns and Daughters of Freemen. We are trying to preserve our heritage, just like the Irish, the Italian, African, whomever. And I think that people overlook us because they're not educated on us. And so the reason why this is important for us, especially here in Massachusetts, and I listened to the previous callers, I don't think people understand that slavery which just wasn't down south the Massachusetts doing bodies of liberty for sixteen forty one, it was the churches who sanctioned slavery for the mass General district courts and they asked for lady, so slavery was sanctioned out of thirteen colonies Massachusetts was at first and sixteen forty one. You can find that in the state House, to find it in the Massachusetts Body of Liberty.
Speaker 1: I don't because anyone who listens to this program that doesn't realize that slavery existed in Massachusetts.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, I don't I know they say it existed. The gentleman said, Sam slavery down south.
Speaker 5: No it was.
Speaker 1: That was Richard from Quincy, and I corrected him.
Speaker 8: Right. So what I want to say is, because Massachusetts sanctioned slavery and sixteen forty one and then also created the Jim Crow Laws, we have a systematic and structural racism and a question in the state of Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: I do think, Antonio, that the Jim Crow laws laws, the reconstruction Jim Laws, were a function of the South.
Speaker 8: No, it was Massachusetts, you can look it up.
Speaker 1: I do not believe that there was any dajurre djurre. They may have been de facto segregation, okay, but the gym laws of the South, as I'm sure most people know, were blacks here, whites here. They could not eat its fregation.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's segregation. So the point I'm trying to make is in addition to doing reparations and talking about what needs to be done, there needs to be a huge set of education on this, and so I'm really proud as of the sin of the slaves to be able to be a part of this. And I also want people to know that one second set up. Every time we talk about reparations for those who descend from slavey, all other races interject their plights, and so we're very well aware of everybody else's history because it's part in school. Our history is the only one that the race as American freemen.
Speaker 1: So I want to be honest with you. I went to school in the nineteen sixties and the fifties and sixties, went to Boston Latgh School, and we learned a lot about slavery. So anyway, Antonio, I understand the points you're making and some guest, but I've got a whole bunch of other calls. You could see that, Antonio, thank you, You'll be happy.
Speaker 2: I'll be happy to all.
Speaker 8: I didn't want to say that. I'm very proud.
Speaker 1: Atonia is if I could as professionally and as gentlemen as I can, I have three other prolems behind you, and I only have about six minutes left, so you've already had almost four minutes. If you could wrap up your comments, that would be great.
Speaker 8: I will, I will. So I just want to say I'm very proud of the organizations that are coming together to also educate and also bring up operations at this point and means a lot to us who descend some slavery. And so I just want to thank Kevin Peterson for always being available to be on your show, and I want to thank you for a lot.
Speaker 9: Want us to speak, Yeah, to say.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons we're doing this tonight is I was disappointed with the lack of coverage that this event had. This event was given on Saturday, and I mentioned that to Kevin, and Kevint called me over the weekend and I felt that it's it was very appropriate.
Speaker 6: To have them mon thank you, Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. You're welcome. Let's keep YouTube, let's keep rolling, everybody, and Joseph, Joseph, I'm not sure where you call it from, Joseph, but you go right ahead.
Speaker 9: Oh sorry, it's Joe from Cambridge, you know, Okay, Joe, good, thank you for me.
Speaker 1: Because we're getting tight here. Okay, as we get as we always get to the end of the hour, go ahead, you bet.
Speaker 9: And good evening, Reverend Peterson, believe it. So I just real quick, I think, and this is just my opinion. When I hear reparations, I know it is a very polarizing subject. There's going to be a lot of animated discussion on both sides. I personally don't necessarily can you know, completely grasp and understand it the concept behind it. But I understand that there's opposite views that defend it, you know, and I respect those. My question is, are two questions related to the payment? So I heard earlier that you have commitments from the churches in Boston for five zero fifty billion dollars million, million, million, million, excuse me, million, and that will come from the church's coffers, I believe, probably right. But the fifteen one five million, I think it's a separate payment you mentioned or I heard it was going to come from the City of Boston, right, And who's going to pay billions? And who is going to exactly pay that? I assume it's going to be the taxpayers of Boston, the City of Boston, right.
Speaker 2: They could be the taxpayers but sir, I'm sorry, I forget your name. You know the issue of Joe Joe, the city could issue of bond built around reparations, and those who buy into or purchase into a bond, they're not being taxed. They're in fact, they're investing in order to to to reform money. But they could the fifteen billion, the initial fifteen billion, to come through that mechanism. The point of the matter is that harm was perpetrated on on slaves and blacks over three centuries. That harm needs to be repaired. So there needs to be some way. As as Native Americans were repaired through compensation, as Japanese Americans were repaired through compensation, there ought to be away just in terms of moral comportment for African Americans or blacks and sent the slaves to be made whole based on what was stolen and based on what the harm has been systematically and with regard to chattel slavery and in the colony of Massachusetts.
Speaker 9: So so I understand your your your position on it, and I respect it, but bent to the payment part and whether so if it if it is a bond payment. And I'm familiar because I work in the industry. I may with bonds and how to work, and that's that's a vol that's a voluntary payment, and I can respect that. Then that's a different story.
Speaker 6: But if it.
Speaker 9: That's something that I think that would have a problem with, because well, your tax.
Speaker 2: Your taxes inadvertently or or paid for the UH repair of Japanese Americans. You could say theoretically that you paid for that as well as well as Native Americans. Now, why can't we get wrap our hands around and heard moral terms and very political terms of compensating UH blacks for centuries of a pressure.
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, I'm going to have to leave that question hanging in the ear because we are now literally out of time. Some of the calls went very long. Joe, you did not. I'm sorry to peinageze you. I think you made your point clear. The call is in the line. You can stay there and we can continue this conversation into the next hour. Reverend Peterson, again, I was disappointed the lack of coverage you received on Saturday. This won't make up for the lack of coverage, but at least it gives a little more conversation and thought to the issue.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Very well, appreciate it, look forward and coming back on again.
Speaker 1: Absolutely call anytime, Reverend Kevin Peterson, if you're on the line, we can continue to talk about reparations here in Boston or reparations in your community. I think it's an issue that it is that it needs to be discussed, and whatever your point of view is, welcome. Will be back on Night's side right after the eleven o'clock news here in Boston.