Speaker 1: What is a tourist trap that is absolutely worth it? I would say Waldrug. I love Waldrug. A lot of people love different with me on that, but I think when you go across South Dakota, it's like it's such a rolling hills expanse of nothing and cattle that you look forward to a sign of civilization. Oh here's a town, let's stop and get a pepsi. Oh here's a town. Let's stop and get some corn nuts. Yeah, guess what wal drug. And you see the signs all the way there, and you get there and it's a little bit off the road. It's not right there, it's a half a mile off the road. And then you get there and it's like, this is the oasis that I've been reading about and hearing about all the way across South Dakota. I love Waldrug. You get back on the freeway and once again you're in the middle of an expanse of fucking nothing. But I love Waldrug. It's probab favorite tourist trap.
Speaker 2: I have never been there, so I would have no idea. I'm sure I would love it because Jenny was there a handful of months ago and she said she even like texted me when she was in there. She's like, you would love it here at Waldrog and I'm like, oh, bang it. I wish I always stop at like historical like any not historical markers because those are sometimes boring, but like kind of a fleshed out historical marker.
Speaker 3: There's one south.
Speaker 2: I don't know where it is south, but like it's like a silhouette of different like cowboys.
Speaker 1: And Americans or something in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so and I stopped there and that was cool. And like the Jolly Green Giant that's down south somewhere on the.
Speaker 1: Way to the sewer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've stopped at the Jolly Green Giant. There's like, I don't know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I stopped at the Mayo Brother's house thirty years ago when I first moved here. We were coming back from man Cato. It's like, oh, the Mayo Brother's house before they became you know, famous and successful. It's like, oh, it's an old house. Yeah, so that was kind of disappointing, but that's not really kind of what I'm talking about. Yeah, I think that, like I don't know the Paul Bunyan statue.
Speaker 2: I have met there, okay, and there and that is and I've been up there during like wintertime too. And honestly, right where the Paul Bunyan statue is in Bamidgi, that whole area is all like decked out in Christmas lights. Okay, And I always stop because I'm like, this is so cute. What a wonderful world we live in, La la la.
Speaker 1: Mount Rushmore is a good one. A lot of people are disappointed in Mount Rushmore. The Murdo Car Museum in South Dakota is a good one. I'm trying to think about the roadside. Devil's Tower was really cool, but I'm trying to put it like a pin on what like a definition of what is a tourist trap.
Speaker 2: I know, if you go up north and you're going like towards Duluth, I always stop at Toby's for their like giant sinmon rolls and giants.
Speaker 3: That's delicious.
Speaker 2: And then further up like past Duluth, I think towards like two Harbors, there's a candy store that has like cute little cutouts outside and they have tons of taffy.
Speaker 3: I had a salted grape taffy there. Okay, delicious.
Speaker 1: I will stop there, I still open. Will you Google really take Betty's Pies?
Speaker 3: And I think Betty's Pies is still open okay, But.
Speaker 2: If you are going up in that direction, there's a different pie place called The Rustic in that has better pies period.
Speaker 3: It's just that they don't have the word pie in there.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you a question?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure.
Speaker 2: So this weekend I have literally nothing going on, so I was talking to my friend Sarah about like planning a little day trip and potentially either going to like Rochester, Red Wing, New Olm, going somewhere just for the day. What are your thoughts, feelings, recommendations.
Speaker 1: Okay, New Olm is good for a half a day. The drive down there is part of the experience in New Olme. It's just a pretty drive. Yeah, you know, there's you know, beagles, kaiser hop, there's a little bit of shopping to be one transparent. The main street in New Olm is it's okay, Okay, it's okay.
Speaker 2: And I've been there before, so that's where I'm like, it was fun, but.
Speaker 1: They're trying for a still water vibe. Yeah, and with shops and candy stores and little T shirt shops and it's just not really making it's it's a cute little stop, but it's not as still Water where you can spend an afternoon wandering still Water. Yeah, I would say red Wing is a better choice because you can go to barn Bluff. There's a winery down there, there's the Saint James Hotel, eat up on the roof. There's a great restaurant up on the roof. If you don't want to sit outside, you can sit inside and you're next to the river. You can watch the boats and the barges come by, and it's just pretty. There's like a museum and there's good shopping. Their main street is not nearly as good as still Water, but there's the red Wing shoe store and that's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, red Wing.
Speaker 1: I would go red Wing New Olm. I wish they did better, but their main street is a little I hate to say it because I think it's such a cute town and I go there once a year. It's a little bit dried up on the main street.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was, yeah, either red Wing, Rochester or New Elm. And I've don't know Rochester Rochester. I wanted to go there only because they have like three different and breweries that sound pretty dope.
Speaker 1: So it's cool that you are. You're a beer drinking girl, and I appreciate that because most women that I don't know, and this is just my personal experience, they're not crazy about beer.
Speaker 3: I love it. I had to teach myself how to like it.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 3: Blue Moon is a gateway beer. If you're looking to get into beers.
Speaker 1: You put an orange in your Blue Moon.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, of initially, and honestly, I always go with Blue Moon if there's nothing else to drink at the bar.
Speaker 1: Same if I'm like, you know, pressure to order, like what can I get you? And I'm like, ah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yea ya, yah yeah yah, blue Moon with an orange.
Speaker 3: Yes, delicious. Gateway Okay to craft beer.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you a little place that is it's a drive it's a two ish or so drive away maybe too yeah, okay. It's Pipestone, Minnesota, and it's a neglected, forgotten, very historic, very beautiful little The town is okay. Again, they try for a touristy strip and it never really came out. But they used to have the Calumet Hotel, which is like an eighteen eighty hotel.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: It looks like a castle. It's beautiful, but I think it's closed. However, the Pipestone National Monument is in the same condition it was all through history, and there are carvings on the rocks of an expedition like Father Hennepen that came through there in like eighteen oh four carved his name on a rock and it's still there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not exactly sure that it's Father Hennepin, but it's somebody, yeah, And his name is still carved there on a rock. And you walk through and there's beautiful waterfalls and its wilderness. And the cool thing about pipestone is pipestone is an actual rock. That's where the Indians would come. The Natives would come from miles around to quarry the pipestone and they would make pipes out of this Redish carvable stone. And the natives still have the rights to do it. The white people, Europeans, nobody else cannot quarry the pipestone, but they quarry it still, and they carve right in front of you, and you can buy the little things that they sell.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: And I just fucking lovepestone, Okay, I wrote it down it's a little bit of an ignored and there's not really much else to do there. Yeah, there's a pizza ranch.
Speaker 2: Okay, well it could potentially see other things along the way.
Speaker 1: On the way is Walnut Grove.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my gosh, Okay, great, great, Okay, I'm writing all these things down because I have literally three days of nothing.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you have anybody to do these things with?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my friend Sarah, I said, I would like to do something with her. I said, if you want to take a day trip somewhere. She'd be like, cool, we can figure it out.
Speaker 3: Sweet.
Speaker 1: What's up with Sarah? Is she single? Is she a single?
Speaker 3: My friend Sarah, she's from college.
Speaker 1: What do you think she's doing wrong that she's single?
Speaker 3: Probably not giving a shit as much as.
Speaker 1: Like about her appearance or about her body.
Speaker 2: Odor she's she's a beautiful woman. She just is like, I don't need to find the love of my life. So she's just kind of like she's on apps. She's just like, yeah, gonna wanna just if if I want a bit of ass for the night, I'm gonna find a bit of ass.
Speaker 3: For the night.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yeah, something like that. She wants to say a bit of ass for the night.
Speaker 1: But she's just like, Yeah, I just kind of want to what was it with you a couple of days ago, you setting it to go down to Chicago and find me some d Oh? Yeah, Now she did say this. This is a quote from Bailey. I'm not trying to put words in.
Speaker 3: Her say that I did say that I have.
Speaker 2: It's I call him a long con because he's on a back burner all the time. He is not anyone who is actually someone I would probably date because he lives in Chicago. But he lives in Chicago. We talk usually every day just over Instagram.
Speaker 1: Oh every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like.
Speaker 2: None of it's suggestive. Anytime I try to be suggestive, it is not reciprocated at all.
Speaker 3: Were about himself. I'm pretty sure he just doesn't have a lot of people to talk to.
Speaker 1: Is that the worst when you flirt with somebody and and they don't reciprocate back, and honestly.
Speaker 2: Little things like well that's hot, or like, don't threaten me with a good time crickets. Wow, I'll just like move on talk about something else.
Speaker 1: But so, no D in Chicago, No.
Speaker 3: D in Chicago.
Speaker 2: He's not He's going out of town, and I literally was like, so, what's there to do in Chicago over Fourth of July weekend? Eyeballs? Eyeballs, eyeballs, And of course I want him to be like, well, you could do this D and he did not say that.
Speaker 1: He was like, wow, if he offered up the D you would be down there.
Speaker 2: Would have gone to Chicago this weekend. Yeah, because again I have nothing going on.
Speaker 1: Is he gay?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Okay. If you say you don't think so, then.
Speaker 2: Then I mean, I know he has dated women in the past, Okay, but I know gay people who have done that too.
Speaker 1: That is true. Well, have fun this weekend on the fourth of July. It's now supposed to be pretty darn nice this weekend with the chance of rain, which I can deal with. Last year was a total washout. I'm gonna call Bingo at the chan fourth of July Bingo tent. I think that's actually on the fourth of July at eleven o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: If I have nothing going on, I'll show up.
Speaker 1: Come by and then the parade is you know, it's your local parade with like the fire Department, the cub Scouts, the girl scouts, clowns on bicycles, clowns, and marching bands. So it's it's it's really cool. And so it's just your typical small town parade. And then they have a lot of events and blah blah blah, and they have a big carnival beer garden in the Shanhassan City Center lawn and it's just cool.
Speaker 3: I love a beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if you want.
Speaker 3: To come by, if I got none else going on, I'll be.
Speaker 1: There Saturday and Sunday. I don't think we have any plans, so looking forward to the three day weekend for sure.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into the emails here. We have just a couple little dry spell on the emails, but I'm going to read this one from Alyssa. Hello, morning show friends. It's an interesting concept to call you all my friends when it's entirely one sided. But that's how I think of you all. I love that, and people actually say words to that effect all the time. You don't know anything about me, but I know everything about you, and I think of you guys as friends. I love that. I graduated in two thousand and eight. I'd make her about thirty five, so I can relate to a lot what Ben, Jenny and Bailey say and Dave. I live in Chaska and run Errand's in chan and I've seen Susan out a few times. Love you all. I wanted to share my recent zero res experience. I use them a lot, probably a dozen times over the years. Always had a great experience. The last time was no different. But I had to laugh at what one of the techs said to me. I've recently gotten more relaxed in my skin about not always needed to be presentable, i e. Hair and makeup done. I felt fine not being made up to have a cleaning day at home. The tech is making small talk and proceeded to ask if the large family on the wall was a stock photo. Now that's my family.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: He then corrected himself when he recognized my daughter. Oh, she was there in the house of the time, and he made no mention to me in the photo. I couldn't stop laughing after he left. Photos attached to my family picture and my look that day left me very humbled. Anyway, it's your daily reminder two that it's okay to laugh at yourself and not take life too seriously. So she shows a picture of herself looking very I mean no makeup, hair pulled back, a sweatshirt, very ordinary. But her family photo is gorgeous. It is her and her family holding hands in a field of wheat with hills in the background. And it looks like when you buy a photo frame, when you buy a photo frame at Target, that's the paper photo that's in there, and it's a beautiful photo. And he's like, oh, is that a stock photo? And then it's like, oh, well, I recognize a little girl and that's you wearing like beautiful clothing and your husband is wearing like a very Minnesota kind of a Flannelly shirt to.
Speaker 3: Be worst of the tech was like, that's you. That's right, worse.
Speaker 1: So that is a cool story, Lissa, thank you for that. Next one, let's see here we go. I have it here somewhere here. It is Hello morning crew. Effective immediately. Dave must stop saying touch and tickle On the air. We were talking about morning sex yesterday and vont said morning sex is the worst. It's overrated. Nobody likes morning sex. And I said, no, you know, you roll over, you wake up and there they are, and you know, you give them a little touch and tiggle and a little fondle and a little a little loving, and then it's just kind of fun. That used to be my favorite time. A little touch, a little tickle. I am listening to the podcast. I cannot stop twitching every time he says it. EWW, thank you for your attention to this matter, Signed a concerned listener, So thank you for that. A little touch and a little tickle. Another one started the pot topic. I think everybody is deserving of the car of their dreams. I find it weird when I see men drive convertibles, and vont I totally agree morning sex is overrated, kind of gross. Yeah, don't want none of it. So I'm not sure why she brought up the car of their dreams. But oh, I find it weird when I see men drive convertibles. I'd never thought about that. I think convertibles are awesome, and I think, here's the thing I see. It's kind of a cliche. You see a corvettees like the coolest American sports car there is. It looks like a Ferrari if you don't know, very sleek and low, and they're fucking loud, and they're very cool. Ninety nine percent of the time it's an old, gray haired guy driving it. It's kind of a cliche, and as I've gotten older, I give them a pass. I used to be like, who do you think you are trying to be young in a corvette. I figure that here's a guy who probably has wanted a Corvette his entire life, couldn't afford one, and now he's sixty five and he wants a Corvette before he dies. Right, exactly, go buy your fucking corvette.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you just.
Speaker 2: Come into your money now, or like, if you've just like now, I have the means. My kids are out of the house, they're all supporting themselves.
Speaker 3: I have the means.
Speaker 2: I want to spend my money on a corvette or a convertible or whatever.
Speaker 3: Then spend your money. Maybe I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: I love seeing little little old guys in their little red convertibles that are from like nineteen sixty two and they're just so happy.
Speaker 3: Love that.
Speaker 1: I love seeing that too. You see like a nineteen fifty seven Chevy or whatever, and it's like, you know, it's a very nobody your age or even my age wants that.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, those are my favorite cars. I would never drive one, but they're gorgeous. I would love to get married and like drive up to the ceremony in one of those.
Speaker 3: Uh beautiful.
Speaker 1: That's kind of cool. I wonder like in another thirty years, when all the people who own fifty seven corvettes are gone, what will become of those where they'll still be collectors for you know, your great grandpa's fifty seven Chevy.
Speaker 3: I think they.
Speaker 2: Get rented a lot for like special occasions like weddings and things. I like, I've looked into it because obviously, you know, I'm a woman, so I've planned my wedding even though I have zero prospects. But you can like rent old classic cars from just random people, like oh, I want to really go out to Wisconsin and rent this fifty Yeah, driving.
Speaker 1: Around next one and my first time writing in I'm not good at storytelling, but I'll do my best. What I saw at Costco disappointed me as putting my groceries in my car. I saw mom pushing a cart and pulling another cart behind her, walking next to her. Two sons did nothing to help. I was thinking, why are her kids not helping? They're old enough to push car. Why is she doing everything and they're just walking and skipping in La la land, not seeing that mom could use their help with the carts full of groceries and items. Growing up, my siblings and I always helped our parents. We were the ones to push the cart in and around the store. I was really upsetting and disappointing to see this mom had no help. I am now a mom. I would be disappointed in myself if I did not raise a considerate helpful son. Okay, good point. Another thing about Costco? Why are people so rude and entering through the exit while others are trying to exit to the store, the store, to their car. One time, it got so crowded it took forever from my son and I to get out. We'd walk a few steps forward, stop for people coming in through the exit because they'd walk right in front of us, walk a few more steps, stop and go and stop, and finally we made it outside. Once I shouted this is the exit, and I heard a lady say, oh, well, the reaction was lame. I didn't care. I needed to leave. I liked that Sam's Club exit and entrance doors are separated. Thanks for reading.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I go to Costco a lot.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way about Like, I just think in terms of people at Costco, your bubble does not exist anymore, and like any kind of consideration for others does not exist anymore. You walk into Costco, you're fighting for yourself, and everyone's like walking in front of you because they're only thinking about themselves.
Speaker 3: So it's like a war zone in Costco.
Speaker 1: I've been in Costco about five times and it's just fascinating that everything is sold in bulk. Yeah, you can't buy a Gatorade six pack. You buy a twelve pack of Gatorade six.
Speaker 3: Pack, twenty four pack?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why not Sam's Club? Uh?
Speaker 3: Why don't I go to Samswoi.
Speaker 1: General in general? Because Costco is Costco Sam's Club. From what I understand, it is the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is the same thing.
Speaker 2: I just go to Costco because that's what was in andover when I grew up, and it's what's closest to my house now, it's right there.
Speaker 1: If there was a Sam's Club closer, would you go to Sam's Club?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: If I had a membership. My mom got me the membership to Costco. Okay, me and my sister share one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to start going to Costco more often because I'm Sam's Club more often because to me, it's less of a zoo. But it's the same thing. It's a warehouse shopping experience. Yeah, but it's Sam's Club, not Costco.
Speaker 2: Jenny and I said, we are going to start going together because we're single ladies who live alone. So we should buy the stuff and split it and split it out in the parking lot.
Speaker 1: Oh so maybe we might interesting. What do you think of costco versus Sam's Club and any other things you want to talk about. We would love to hear from you. We always love reading your emails. And that is it. What are you doing on the fourth of July? Is there something that we should mention? What is a cool little tourist y town or what is a tourist spot that is absolutely worth the hype? Send an email Ryans Show at kadiwb dot com