Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI.
Speaker 2: AM A six forty bill Handle here Monday morning, January sixth.
Speaker 3: We start the year, and we're starting it on a roll.
Speaker 2: Incredible bad taste, scatological references, certainly sexual references that are just very close to the line, right, Neil.
Speaker 4: I don't listen to the show, sir, Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I want to separate myself as much as possible, even though one of those references might have come from my mouth.
Speaker 4: Fair enough, step back, Oh, separate myself?
Speaker 3: All right? Done, all right? And another segment.
Speaker 2: We made some changes, as you are aware of on the show, especially starting this year. One of the things that we have tried for a few weeks and now is a.
Speaker 3: Part of the show.
Speaker 2: Well we know that Neil is on from eight to eight thirty on Friday with Foody Friday. We have added from a thirty to nine ask Handle Anything, because well, I'm going to talk a little bit about other changes, but because it's fun and the segment is ask handle Anything, and you ask me, and you know, I'm brutally honest for the most part, and I've gotten embarrassed a few times, and here's what happens.
Speaker 3: You call in and we record your question.
Speaker 2: Do you go to the iHeart app doesn't cost the KFI page, so you have to do it during the show. And up in the right hand corner you'll see a microphone. Just click on that microphone and start recording. Fifteen seconds is what you have.
Speaker 3: Beyond that, we cut you off because it's just a question. Ask question.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear what you think politically. I don't give a rats about any of that. It is a question and I will answer it. And how do I what questions? I have no idea, Neil and and choose the questions I have not heard them, and so it is my immediate response.
Speaker 3: And it is great fun. So go to the iHeart.
Speaker 2: App, KFI page, microphone right hand corner, click ask the question, and if your call is good enough or stupid enough, and it gets chosen, we I get to answer your question. By the way, for everybody who we do ask aloud, to ask the question, you will win absolutely nothing. There is no upside other than embarrassing me or asking me whatever you'd like to know. All right, now, here's the California lawmakers are proposing protecting K twelve K to twelve students they're families from mass deportation.
Speaker 3: It's symbolic.
Speaker 2: It's just a response to what President upcoming President Trump, President Electrump has said with the mass deportations, the massy deportation are not going to happen as we know, I mean, there'll be more certainly.
Speaker 3: So you've got AB.
Speaker 2: Forty nine at SB forty eight. It's to keep federal agents from detaining undocumented students or their families on or near school property without a warrant. Now, when's the last time a federal agent came onto school property to arrest.
Speaker 3: Someone a student who is illegal? Come on.
Speaker 2: So this is simply a response, and you're going to see more and more of this. Kevin Johnson, a law professor at UC Davis, says, in no way can these bills override federal law. But it's responding to concern in the community that it's not safe to take your kids to school. See what ends up happening is you have the undocumented community that frankly runs scared a lot about being deported. More so it's going to be more so now that President elect Trump is going to take office.
Speaker 3: On January twentieth.
Speaker 2: So AB forty nine would require immigration agents to obtain written permission from the superintendent before coming onto school property, which they don't anyway, it bars agents from being in rooms where children are present. When's the last time an agent walked into a schoolroom, a kindergarten class and slammed handcuffs on a six year old because illegal? By the way, there's there's no way to know that those kids are illegal. Supreme Court, and we're going back to I think it was what nineteen eighty two where the Supreme Court ruled that public schools have to enroll all students regardless of immigration status.
Speaker 3: And they don't ask even so, what changes?
Speaker 2: Well, nothing, really, I'll tell you what the what the big issue really is, and that is law enforcement and or particularly prisoners in jails informing ICE that someone is going to be released to is.
Speaker 3: Maybe an illegal alien.
Speaker 2: And it used to be right at the front door person was released, Ice was waiting right there pick them up and set them up for deportation.
Speaker 3: Now no cooperation whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Specifically, the prisons and public institutions do not tell authorities. Now to be fair, those people are arguing, oh, they tell authorities, so they can't tell authorities and bad guys are being released. Serious felons are still being reported, and ICE does come in for serious felons. But the rest of it, it's basically a philosophy that we that is, we California do not help federal authorities with deportation or picking up what is people that are perceiving to be and may in fact be and are probably illegal aliens. It is a fight the California has and the reality is is I believe California, the schools, the legislature absolutely believe the phrase, the statement there is no such thing as an illegal person. People are not illegal, actually they are, Okay, just to let you know, there are plenty of people that are illegal, because look at the definition of.
Speaker 3: Illegal being in this country.
Speaker 2: Without permission, without the right to be in this country.
Speaker 3: That's illegal.
Speaker 1: I think they're saying they're illegally here, but a person to put that on them as being illegal is more of a pejorative about the individual rut than.
Speaker 3: So Therefore, fell in are not felons. They are merely convicted of a felony.
Speaker 2: So you can't call felons felons. I, for example, you and I are not bald. We are simply follicularly challenged. No, I'm bald, okay, so am I And if I were here, if I were here illegally, I would be illegal.
Speaker 3: But it's not a question of just phraseology.
Speaker 2: It's beyond that, and it is a question of substance when it comes to dealing with people and saying that the status of someone is more important than the law. The law is subservient to someone being here illegally, the law really doesn't matter. And we have laws now that, for example Los Angeles where the city the school districts pay for a term and legal help for people who are for kids who are illegal, or they're have family members who are illegal and are looking at deportation.
Speaker 3: It's just a question of how you view it.
Speaker 2: And as usual, the pendulum swings both ways, and you're going to see the pendulum swinging right back with President Trump in office. And a lot of it is bluster from the president because that's simply the way Donald Trump runs. He believes in bluster, he believes in making statements as bargaining chips. Nothing is really going to change, but it is simply a philosophical statement. California says, well, basically, the bottom line is whatever he says, we're going to go against.
Speaker 3: And he his statement is whatever they say.
Speaker 2: That is California and New York liberal states, I'm going to go against by definition.
Speaker 4: Well aren't they both blustering at that point? Then?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, it's a well it's going to be a blustery day.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a blustery four years now. I don't know if you're.
Speaker 2: Flying, but I don't know if you've noticed, maybe you have noticed that the airlines are going seriously premium, cheap tickets, frontier spirit uh ah, They're all adding premium items, premium services. And why because we know that the airlines make more money. Do you remember it used to be that you got two bags for free across the board.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: It used to be on Southwest you could sit wherever you want. It used to be you could sit in an emergency seed. All you had to do was book. It didn't cost you any more money. Well, as you know, those days are gone. Now they charge for everything. At Southwest is still the only airline that you still get too bad for free.
Speaker 3: And I think that's going to end.
Speaker 2: It has to end, because every other airline charges for bags. And when you talk about the super cheap airlines, super bargain airlines, you pay for everything. You even pay for carry on bags, you pay for where you sit, you pay for how.
Speaker 3: Quickly you board the airplane. You just pay, pay pay junk fees on.
Speaker 2: The airlines charge buckets of money on those super cheap flights, and they're not cheap in the end. And guess what, the airlines aren't making enough money with that crap.
Speaker 3: So now it's premium seating.
Speaker 2: And I mean Jet Blue, which was all one class is now they have a first class section.
Speaker 3: You're gonna see Southwest.
Speaker 2: You pay for where you stand in line to board the airplane. Spirit which was one of the cheaper airlines, file for Chapter eleven in November. American Delta, United the three largest. They're projected to account for ninety seven percent of the industri's operating profit. Why is that Because American, Delta and United have premium services, they have first class, they have the premium economy class economy plus. Budget airlines don't have it, and those budget seats and they're getting more and more crammed. The airlines aren't making enough money. Matter of fact, they're losing money, Neil, you r mic is not on.
Speaker 4: Oh I was doing something, sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Oh, so that's because most of the people that ride Spirit are also filing for Chapter eleven.
Speaker 4: That's a good point, the first thing. But the second thing.
Speaker 1: I know how they can make tons of money on Spirit charge five hundred dollars a foot any for taking your shoes off. Oh, very good, And that's a they will make so much money, you know.
Speaker 2: But there's a reason, by the way, for all of this, and that is, well, there are a couple reasons. First of all, there's too many of these super bargain airlines. They're competing against each other in a big, big way. The other reason is they pay the same for labor, for fuel, for landing rights. And it doesn't matter if you have all first class and you go up to a terminal at lax or all economy where you're crammed in like sardines.
Speaker 3: It's the same cost.
Speaker 2: And so the airlines, if you have plenty of premium seating, if you have plenty of business class, if you have plenty of economy plus, you're simply going to do better. Where there's an interesting stat here we go, so far this year, fifty seven percent of Delta's revenue has been generated through sales other than main cabin sales, other than the main seats. Over half is the premium seating. That's where they make all of their money. You go to Delta, and Delta has eight flights a day LA New York. Two of them have the cheapest seating still available. It's a tiny little number, and so be prepared to pay a lot more money.
Speaker 3: And people are you know, after.
Speaker 2: COVID, You know there was this huge rush to spend money because you were at home. And also it just changed the way we think where experiences are actually more as are more important than buying stuff. That's the way we think. You know, memories, and it's true, it's true. You know, a lot of my disposable income I spend on travel memories, most of them bad by the way, I might add, but it's still memories and experiences, and I spend money for that, and a lot of people do. And you want to be comfortable. I mean, most of my flights, most of my stuff is in Europe because I just happen to love Europe. I got to tell you, if if I thank God, I run all my businesses or all my business through my credit card, so I get miles, so I can upgrade very easily. And a lot of us who are involved in business and do fly around get miles and upgrade, and some of us just write the check and buy the ticket. But spending eleven hours on an airplane ten and a half hours LA to London, LAA, Munich, Amsterdam, you could not pay me to do that. Literally, it's so uncomfortable, and it's more and more uncomfortable. And I know I'm telling people who maybe have never been, and it's worth the being uncomfortable, and I'm going to say, if you've never been, it probably is.
Speaker 3: But it's a whole different world, just.
Speaker 2: More expensive to fly and you need whatever services, and it's just the world is changing after pandemic. We don't even know what has happened to us because of the pandemic. All right, we're done, guys with this on. Hey, it is time for the last time. Do they have a case with Wayne? And Wayne is retiring from the show, and Wayne, let's spend a few minutes before we get into case talking into the case. Do they have a case? You've been with the show for a very long time. How long you've been with.
Speaker 5: Us, well with the station thirty three years on air and capacity thirty and I don't remember. If you can remember when this happened, either of you, then I can tell you how long I've had a connection to.
Speaker 4: The Bill Handle show.
Speaker 5: You used to do every year live shows, a live variety kind of show with songs and comedy and all this stuff. And one of the earliest ones used to do them in Vegas, and there was one at the I'm not as vegacy as you. What's the real one.
Speaker 2: I think we did it at the Rio's the other one, first one.
Speaker 4: I think he's talking about the Mirage.
Speaker 5: Wherever it was. Somebody asked me, Hey, do you play keyboards? I said yeah, and I said, oh, well come to the Handle show in Vegas. And because we want you to Mandala Bay, Mandala Bay. Yes, Bill is correct. Anyway, I'm like, all right, great And then so anyway, what ended up happening is you guys made me play and sing this song called Remembering Lacey, which was about Lacy Peterson, who was murdered for all intention purposes by her husband, Scott Peterson, although he still denies it that a real person had written it and performed it. It's terrorist, It's the worst song in the world, and you guys made me play and sing it, and then some of you were behind me as a chorus, and that was my first whenever that was I don't it was kind of the first twenty years ago, maybe at least at least ten years ago for those people that are recent listeners to the show. Although we're moving back into some of the crazy stuff because political correctness is taking not as an important role in life. This show used to be so offensive, so astoundingly offensive. For example, we used to do songs, remember the songs, the parody songs we used to do. One of them I remember was Welfare Queen and you cannot talk about poor people on welfare.
Speaker 3: I mean that is so offensive.
Speaker 2: Those were parody songs we used to do. And so Wayne was part of that group. And we're going to miss you. So let's do this. We're gonna finish up the first segment in the moment, and then we're actually gonna do the last.
Speaker 3: Do they have a case? So Wayne, what are your plans? What are you gonna do?
Speaker 5: I'm not one hundred percent sure yet. You and I spoke off the air. You were very nice to call me, so you know, you know that I'm looking at some possibilities kind of going back to doing what I was doing with the FEDS, but doing it on behalf of defendants private, private, private investigation, analysis, sentencing recommendation function. But also there's a very small low power FM community all volunteer radio station in Richmond, Virginia, where I will be living, and I may just help them with the stuff that that kind of a radio station doesn't really want to deal with, like FCC compliance.
Speaker 3: So not on the end, No, No, that's.
Speaker 5: One of the It's kind of like a college station.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: There's a guy who for two hours plays world music, and then there's a guy for two hours who plays punk rock, and then there's a guy who for two hours plays electronic jazz, and then there's some show where two people talk about the mayor or that they don't like or whatever it is. I'm not interested in any of that, but to help them behind the scenes with the FCC stuff, apparently, I'm being told, would be very helpful. And also honestly, there's a lot of bike trails that need to be ridden, and there's a lot of live entertainment to be consumed that you don't when you work at all.
Speaker 2: I have made fun of Wayne and his bike riding, and Wayne is a very serious, serious bike rider, to the point where in Wayne's case, here are your choices. Either you buy a new car or you buy one of his bikes. And he's got two of them. I mean that is someone who is dead serious about riding bikes.
Speaker 3: First all, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't know bikes could be I didn't know bikes could be that expensive.
Speaker 5: It would be a used car or one of my bikes, not a new car. And just I will say this to you, I just got up with great pleasure. I get to say this to you. Now I have three Oh, but one of them is a gravel bike. The two are mountain bikes. One is a gravel bike. So it's kind of a different thing, which is a bad wa.
Speaker 3: So how about a grass bike or a clay bike.
Speaker 5: Don't play on both, court, don't give me ideas. All right, next time I talk to you, I might have six bikes.
Speaker 3: So Wayne, let's do our last. Do they have a case?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: You will have to decide what happened in an employment dispute between the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America Knachham Rabinowitz, as well as Dose one through one hundred, the Yakov Markel. Do you want to explain what a muskiach is.
Speaker 3: Or do you as not the messaiak? Do I have that? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what a machiach is maskach, I know what means, I know what means. I don't know what a miskiach means.
Speaker 5: That is a person who oversees the production of food and wine to certify that it is kosher.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know that they do that. I didn't know the name.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you knew there were people who oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: They all have to be certified.
Speaker 2: It's a scam beyond a scam because there are different organizations to do it, and you pay, You literally have to pay a fortune for this.
Speaker 5: I should have known my last segment on this show with you, I would have to inch away from the microphone from something that you would say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a mafia. It's mafia is what you're hiring? Alright?
Speaker 5: Well, okay, yeah, mister Markel was a mash killach for ou. That's the short for the Union of Orthodox Jewish congregations of America. They use it, and his relationship with him grew sour when he says he was promised by Rabbi Nachmann Rabbi Rabinowitz a promotion and a race which never came. So and also that he said he worked some overtime and they didn't pay him for the overtime, so he quit, and he filed some employment related claims against oh you, and ou went to court and said you must dismiss these outright because of the ministerial ex The ministerial exception was found by courts over the years and is now absolutely enshrined. It's under the First Amendment because it protects the religious organizations from being sued for their decisions regarding who they employ. But is only if you are a religious organization and the person is a minister, then they cannot sue you, no matter what minister. Of course, has been defined quite loosely to include anyone who is vital to the religious mission of the religious organization. So an example I will give you where it has been found is teachers, the so called religious calling teachers. These are people who say they were called to teach by their God, and now they teach in religious schools, and there are cases where they have been found to be ministers for this purpose because they're so important to the religious mission of the school and they can't sue for employment stuff. So this got Markel says, I'm not a minister. I look at wine and beef and things, and you know, make sure that they're prepared properly so they can be certain. I'm not a minister in any way. And the OHU group is not a religious group because they they make revenue. It makes money their program of certifying things as kosher, so you I can totally sue them. And the district judge said, no, they're a religious organization, notwithstanding they generate revenue because they are a five ZHO one C three charity that nobody keeps the money. The money that's generated is a for no private benefit. And you are a minister for this purpose because you are a very religious person yourself, who does this to help them in their mission of making kosher food idly available to Orthodox Jews so they can practice their religion. Your vital, that role is vital to furthering the religious aims of this organization. It is a religious based organization meant to support a religious community. So dismissed. He goes to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals because this case is right out of the Central District of California.
Speaker 3: Here, whoa boy? Both arguments.
Speaker 5: Are they a religious organization? Is he a minister for this purpose?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if they per se or a religious organization. What they do is make sure, for example, the the chairs in the synagogue meet.
Speaker 3: Code, that you have to have the proper rules and.
Speaker 2: Regulations, and that's what the kosher What this organization does when certifying kosher products.
Speaker 3: Now, is it religious?
Speaker 2: It's mandatory under the Torah that you eat kosher, So is that religious?
Speaker 3: I'm going to argue that the connection is Wow, it could go either way.
Speaker 2: I'm going to argue because of that, it really is an administrative job and doesn't have religious overtones except that the Talmud says you must eat that way, and they're the ones that ensure that.
Speaker 3: The law is upheld.
Speaker 2: And the problem that I think that this organization has, because I told you earlier, it's simply a question if you pay these guys, that's what is about. And they were nailed for declaring some ham and some lobster kosher and they got caught.
Speaker 4: Hell, did you just say, what?
Speaker 5: What is anything that you that's hyperbolic. That's hyperbolic, comedy and satire, not an assertion of facts.
Speaker 3: That's an assertion of fact. Okay, Okay, well let them sue me.
Speaker 2: Let them sue me while I eat a ham sandwich on a bagel. And I've said some pretty interesting things about this organization, and.
Speaker 3: I believe it. By the way, whether it's two or not, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I don't have any facts to determine one way or the other, other than I met someone who owns a restaurant that tried to get a kosher certification and it was crazy the amount.
Speaker 3: Of money that was being charged by the organization.
Speaker 5: Okay, which way do they go? H he has no case. They are and he is.
Speaker 3: That's it. And and and what they.
Speaker 5: Said is, look, this ministerial exception has to be viewed broadly because the point of thing is to not to interfere with religious organizations decisions.
Speaker 3: So he is a minister for this purpose only.
Speaker 5: He is a minister, and they are a religious organization.
Speaker 3: And he could have.
Speaker 2: Gone, I would have gone, I would have gone the other way because I think both have great arguments.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: We're done, Wayne, Thank you for twenty something years of being with us. I know this was your last day and we're going to miss you. Do I have that right?
Speaker 3: Yes? Here it is.
Speaker 2: We are going to miss you, and now that you are gone, my friend, we'll probably never talk again.
Speaker 3: All right, coming out? Hey, it's done, You're finished, all right? That is oh mad, I've been.
Speaker 5: I've been required in order to get my final paycheck to say you are a consummate professional and truly deserved to be inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: I thank you for that.
Speaker 2: All right, We're done, guys, coming up, Gary and Shannon back again tomorrow with more of the Shenanigans. Oh god, that's so stupid. This is KFI AM six forty more stimulating talk radio. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.