Speaker 1: For nine days in the fall of nineteen ninety four, the country watched a mother beg for the safe return of her missing sons, who she said had been taken in a violent carjacking. Police searched, the media amplified every word, and a small South Carolina town held its breath. But behind the scenes, investigators were already noticing cracks in the story. Things didn't seem to add up, and soon they would uncover one of the most heart wrenching true crime cases the country had ever seen. This is the story of Suzanne Smith.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and material intended for a mature audience listener discretion. I think people liked the last episode.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: They did even though it was a two parter and people hate, you know, having to listen to two parts. It went over really well.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's that they hate listening to two parts. So you have like the little weight in the that's true.
Speaker 1: That's true. Okay, I should I should clarify that it's the weight in between. Yeah, people don't like but.
Speaker 2: No, well, it was such a doozy of a case, right. I think people were like, holy frigue this, but.
Speaker 1: Even still like ok one person here on our Spotify comments they wrote, this was just so mind blowingly well told, the best episode to date. Thank you. That was a really nice comment. Thank you appreciate that. We actually had quite a few really good comments on it. And another one here that says, I have heard another podcast cover this story, but they did not do it justice like you did. Good call to divide it into two parts, even though I had to wait. Awesome job. Thank you very much. Like okay, feeling the fact that people think I did did it justice that that made me feel pretty good.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's the goal. You did a good job. Well, thank you a real good job. You've done good? You done?
Speaker 1: How what's the saying you done did good?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You done did good, Ben, It's not even really just saying.
Speaker 1: It's just dis section of the English language, you know, breaking it down to basics. Yeah, you're done, did do good, good job.
Speaker 2: Pat yourself on the back.
Speaker 1: I will, but only if some people over on Patreon also pat themselves on the back for being so supportive and amazing. For example, we have sun Arts Megan Jared's Katie Caitlyn Post, Meghan b Caitlin Hart Soul. Thank you for telling me how to pronounce your name, by the way. Appreciate that, Wainona Togg and Christina Jordan, who all deserve that pat in the back because they signed up over on Patreon and are supporting us that way. But also they're getting that cool behind the scenes, like the pre show we just recorded and they're gonna be putting up over there soon.
Speaker 2: Would you ever pronounced that one name differently? If they haven't, hadn't had reached out.
Speaker 1: I probably would have pronounced it. How I'm sure there are people They're used to people mispronouncing it. I would have said heart Soul, heartseller, heart Soul, Okay, but it's heart soul.
Speaker 2: Huh. Yeah. Well, there there you go. That was helpful.
Speaker 1: It was helpful. Appreciate it. But we have an interesting case today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Ben, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I gave you a bit of an elevator pitch a little bit, and this one it's trigger warning. It involves the death of two young boys, the murder of two young boys, so trigger warning for that. But there is another interesting aspect to this case. I'm not going to divulge just yet. It is something that you don't typically see in true crime. I mean, it happens, it's just a rarity. And yeah, I think with that we should just get right into the story.
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel like my jaw is going to just be like on the ground this whole episode.
Speaker 1: Probably right, probably, But don't worry with this little rarity of true crime. I do divulge what it is here pretty quickly so you won't be on the edge of your seat too long or with me, and we'll get into the details and trust me, it's a story worth telling. For nine days, the country believed two little boys were somewhere out there, still alive. Their names were Michael and Alexander. Now Michael was three years old and Alexander was just fourteen months old. Their faces filled television screens across America. They were taped in storefront windows and pinned to bulletin boards while their mother stood before microphones with their voice breaking as she begged for their safe return. She said a stranger had taken them. According to her, it happened late at night. She was stopped at a red light when a man approached her car, opened the door and forced his way inside. He had a gun, she said, and he ordered her to drive, and she claimed he made her travel for miles before telling her to finally pull over near a rural lake. Then, she said, he pushed her out of the car and drove away with her sons still strapped into their car seats in the back. She told police she could still hear them crying, in fact, as the vehicle was driving off, with her standing there on the side of the road. Now the story it spreadfast, a carjacking involving two young children. While it felt like every parent's worst fears were suddenly made real, law enforcement launched a massive search almost immediately looking for these boys. Roadblocks were set up, flyers were printed by the thousands, and volunteers combed through wooded areas and rural roads just in case. In fact, helicopters scanned highways, and divers even checked bodies of water. The FBI joined the invent mistigation as tips poured in from across the country. At night, porch lights were left on in Union County was a quiet gesture of hope that Michael and Alexander might somehow find their way home. And as always, there was their mother Susan Smith. She became the face of the search. She appeared on national news programs with her hands clasped, eyes downcast, as she spoke directly to the man she said had taken her children. She told him she forgave him. She said that she was just asking him to leave the boy somewhere safe. The police wanted to believe her, but right from the start something felt off, and even as questions began to surface, behind the scenes, the public image remained intact. This was a grieving mother living every parent's worst nightmare. But while cameras focused on highways and wooded back roads, investigators were quietly analyzing this story from a different angle. Because details didn't quite line up, timelines slowly shifted, and the story, when examined closely, didn't behave the way real crimes usually do. Something they couldn't put their finger on. It just wasn't right. And yet still, for nine long days, the search continued because no one wanted to accept the possibility that the truth was far closer and far darker. You see, the truth was, while the nation watched and waited, Michael and Alexander were not missing, and the person who knew where they were, and what happened stood at the very center of the story, asking the world to help her bring them home. On the evening of October twenty fifth, nineteen ninety four, Suzanne Smith picked up her two sons from daycare in Union County, South Carolina. Michael Daniel Smith was three years old, energetic and very talkative, while his younger brother, Alexander Tyler Smith was just fourteen months old and still firmly in the roots teens of infancy. Both boys were secured in their car seats in the back of Susan's Burgundy nineteen ninety Mazda Protege. Now what Susan did after leaving the daycare would not become fully clear until days later, but instead of driving directly home, she spent several hours driving around Union County. Investigators would later determine that she had left work early that afternoon and appeared emotionally distressed throughout the day At the time, though no one knew where she was going or why she remained on the road for so long. As night fell, Susan turned off the main roads and drove towards a rural area just outside of town. There, surrounded by darkness and farmland sat John D. Long Lake, a quiet man made lake with a concrete boat ramp sloping into the water.
Speaker 2: There were no.
Speaker 1: Nearby businesses, no street lights, and very little traffic at that hour. It was some time after eight pm when she pulled her car up to that ramphen stopped. Michael and Alex were still strapped into their seats behind her, and, according to Suzanne's later confession, she sat in the driver's seat for several minutes. Overwhelmed and unsure of what to do with herself, she claimed, she placed the car in neutral and allowed it to roll forward slightly, and then stopped it by pulling the e brake. She repeated this action more than once, staring at the water and hesitating each time before letting the car move any further. Eventually, Suzanne stepped out of the vehicle. She stood beside the car, distraught and indecisive, before reaching back inside one final time. At that moment, she released the car's e brake, and the Masda began to roll forward on its own, descending down the ramp and rolling into the murky waters. Suzanne did not re enter the car. She did not attempt to remove her children. Instead, she watched as the vehicle moved into the water slowly and disappeared beneath the surface with both of them still inside. Little Michael and Alex remain strapped into the car seats as the car sank below the surface.
Speaker 2: I just that is the worst, the absolute worst. I just can't comprehend how that can happen.
Speaker 1: This is the situation where we have something that you don't typically see in true crime. Is a female killer. Yeah, they are, you know, generally speaking, pretty rare. They're out there, for sure. We've covered many cases, but it's not your typical story. And beyond that, she killed her own children.
Speaker 2: Her own kids. Holy flying shit. I just can't even that is just you can't even remotely put yourself in that situation at all. I can't fathom that a mom could do that. Right there, two kids, they would you think they have probably been crying or something.
Speaker 1: Or oh they would have. They would have been crying because imagine the water filling up into that car. The terror of those two children would be going through and she's standing there, she would hear that. Yeah, she would probably even see some flailing in the back of the car. I mean, they're strapped in but there could have been arms going up and trying, who knows, and it would have been the worst thing in the world to have to witness. But she stood there and she did.
Speaker 2: It just got wrenching. Yes, those poor poor little angel babies. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, after the vehicle was no longer visible, Susan turned away from the lake and she walked up the boat ramp, crossed the nearby road, and ran approximately one hundred yards to the nearest house, which had its porch light on. She then pounded on the door in a state of apparent panic. When the homeowners answered the door, Susanne told them her car had just been stolen and that her two young children were still inside, which of course was a lie. So we know the reality of what happened. But as this story unfolded for the next few days, while the reality was a little bit different, or at least painted differently.
Speaker 2: No one knew exactly yeah, for quite a while.
Speaker 1: So with her pounding on the door and claiming this, the homeowner quickly called nine one one and police officers arrived within minutes. Suzanne was visibly shaken, crying and struggling to explain what had happened. She told deputies that earlier, she'd been stopped at a red light when a man approached her car, forced his way inside at gunpoint, and ordered her to drive now. According to her, the encounter happened at an intersection on Monarch Mills Road, a stretch of highway just outside of Union County. She claimed the man, a black male, jumped into the driver's side of the car while she was stopped at the light. The gun was pressed against her side. He allegedly told her to drive and warned her not to say anything or he would kill her. So Susan and she drove for some time under his direction in the backseat. Meanwhile, Michael and Alex sat there crying and frightened over the situation. She told officers. She tried to reassure them, speaking to them while the man sat behind beside her with a gun, and eventually, she claimed, the man ordered her to stop on a rural road near John D. Long Lake and get out of the car. There, she claimed she begged to get her kids out of this car seat with her, which we clearly know was not the case.
Speaker 2: I just have to say this Lione itself is just terrible, just like going about wasting everyone's time, really and like just this panic when she actually knows what the hell happened. Yeah, that's terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah again monster right, Yeah, we say that in almost every episode because that sums up these people to the fullest extent. And that is what she is, an absolute monster.
Speaker 2: Well, because all these people are listening to her and probably sensing her like fear or whatever, and then panicking and oh my gosh, we got to figure this out. And then really she just knows what the hell happened. It's unreal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they're probably able to put theirselves in that situation. You know what happens if it were my kids stolen, Yeah, panic instilled in them. But here she is, she's just basically like, oh no, Like I'm begging to get my kids out of the back of the car because I knew he was about to take the car, and then so from there he as so. She claims he pushed her out of the car and told her he wasn't going to hurt the children and then drove off with them still alive and strapped in the car seat. That was her version of events, when in reality it's very different.
Speaker 2: I wonder if she had that already made up before she did what she did. I think so, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Fully think so we can discuss that maybe at the end of this episode. Yeah, a little more detail for sure.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: After allegedly being forced out of the vehicle, Suzanne said she ran to the nearest house for help and nine one one was called. Now officers immediately broadcast a description of the suspect and the vehicle. It was a blackmail driving a Burgundy Mazda Protege with two small children inside. Within a short time, David Smith, the boy's father, arrived at the scene. He found Suzanne distraught and visibly shaken. Although the couple had divorced months earlier. David stood by her side as she repeated her account to police. There was no public indication at that point that, you know what, they need to doubt her story. Now, police and investigators they treated the case with the utmost urgency. Officers quickly set up patrols across Union County and began cana sing nearby Rhodes. Information was also relayed to surrounding jurisdictions, and the assumption that guided the early response was simple but grim. Two young children had been taken by an armed stranger and every minute mattered in fact, as we know best, for the first forty eight hours of the most crucial in these situations. That same night, Suzanne gave additional statements to investigators, repeating the same basic sequence of events. She described the gun, the fear she felt, and the moment she was forced out of the car. During this officers noted that she did not appear physically injured and showed no sign of a struggle, but at the time this did not immediately raise any alarms or red flags. Trauma victims often behave unpredictably, and the priority remained, you know, finding her boys, Michael and Alex. By the end of the night, police had no confirmed sightings of that masta, no witnesses who had seen the carjacking at the intersection that Susan described, and no physical evidence to support or contradict her account. Still, nothing directly disproved her story either. By morning of October twenty sixth, nineteen ninety four, the case had moved far beyond a local emergency and into a national story. Susanne Smith and David Smith appeared together repeatedly standing shoulder to shoulder in front of cameras. Susan pleaded directly to the man that she said and claimed took her children and asking that they'd be returned safely, while lying right through her teeth. David meanwhile echoed her words. But the difference in him while he was being sincere.
Speaker 2: Lying to a stranger, you know, you can kind of understand maybe a bit more, but lying to these boys' dad too, that that is just cruelty. Yet it's like absolute finest.
Speaker 1: Well, everything she does is completely self involved. It's all for her own self, her own benefit. And as this story goes on, you'll kind of see what I'm talking about because there's more detail to go to it with that. But yeah, she's standing shoulder to shoulder with these boys dad, Yeah, and he thinks they're missing when literally he's standing right next arm around holding her hand with the fucking killer.
Speaker 2: And in his mind he would never he could probably never imagine that she would do something.
Speaker 1: Like that, right exactly now, Inside Union came. The response was overwhelming. Volunteers gathered to help search churches, they opened their doors for prayer vigils. Residents left porch lights on all through the night, a symbolic gesture of hope that the boys would be brought home soon safe. The case struck a very big nerve across the country. With two very young children taken from their mother by a stranger, there was no clear trail. Everyone else was just what if it was me? How sad is this?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: These poor children. All the while, law enforcement kept expanding the scope of their search. Deputies tray Susan's reported route from the alleged carjacking site, looking for anyone who might have seen the Mazda. Investigators reviewed traffic patterns, check nearby businesses for surveillance footage, and followed up on every single tip that came in, and many were vague, some were clearly wrong, but still they had to check them, but none led to the children. The FBI joined the investigation soon too, bringing additional manpower and resources, and all those tips began pouring in, not just in the local area, but also from across the country, and sightings of the mass that were reported in neighboring states and each had to be checked, but again still nothing. At the same time, though, investigators were quietly beginning to scrutinize Susan's account more closely, while the public narrative focused on an armed carjacker detectives were tasked with testing whether her story could actually be true. So to start, they returned to Monarch Mills Road, the very intersection where Susan said that her car had been stopped at that red light when the carjacker had approached her. The area was dark, it was rural and lightly traveled at night. No one had reported seeing a struggle, a stop vehicle, or anything. But what they discovered here actually raised some questions. See, the traffic light at the intersection was not controlled by a fixed timer who was triggered by censors in the pavement, So, in other words, the light would only turn read for drivers on Monarch Mill Road if another vehicle approached from the other side. Oh but that presents a problem because Suzanne's had been very clear in her statements that she had not seen any other cars at the intersection that night. She was alone there, So if that were true, the light would not have turned red and she would never have had to stop at the red light at all.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love shit like that, things that you would just never think about, right, Yeah, you probably think you have this this amazing plan, and then it's like one tiny detail that the police are just.
Speaker 1: Like, wait a second, Yeah, that can't be true.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So basically this suggested that the event Suzanne described may not have happened at the location she claimed, or, as we already know, didn't happen at all. Now, investigators also examined the physical scene where Suzanne claims she was forced from the car. They couldn't find any tire marks that were, you know, spin out from a vehicle, and no obvious disturbed gravel from her being pushed out or or running after a car or nothing like that. No signs of a struggle or anything. Also, Suzanne herself showed no visible signs of injury despite being described well being pushed from a car. Now, it is possible to come out of that unscathe, but it's still just another question mark in the whole.
Speaker 2: Line of events, something that's not making one hundred percent sense exactly.
Speaker 1: So it raised a lot of suspicion, and so detectives began to reinterview Suzanne, asking her to walk through her story again, step by step. Now in each retelling, it contained slight changes, slight variations the length of time she claimed to be forced to drive, It shifted the direction she was facing at the intersection became unclear, and as I believe it was Abraham Lincoln, a famous quote from him. No man, no man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Seems the same thing as applying here. She's trying to lie, but she doesn't have a good enough memory to remember how she told lie to be accurate in the long run.
Speaker 2: Well, especially with something so large, such a large lie like this one.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And there's details that she is talking about, and it seems like she's almost over complicating some of the details too, to muddle it intentionally, like she's offering confusing statements on purpose. Now at the same time, officers notice changes in her demeanor that did not match her public appearances. In front of cameras, she cried and pleaded, and there's a lot of questions about whether there was actual tears coming out of her eyes or not, or it was just like falsified crying. But I digress. In front of the camera, she's acting like this, But away from them, her behavior was inconsistent. She could be calm, conversational, and at times oddly detached. One officer later recalled moments where Suzanne had appeared almost relaxed, even cheerful when she thought no one was paying attention. Another moment stood out to investigators too. For one televised interview, Susan appeared excited, even giddy ish about being on camera. She even turned to David and commented about the attention just before the broadcast began, and of course, as soon as the camera rolled, her demeanor shifted instantly into grief and desperation.
Speaker 2: That's really messed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. None of these observations were enough in their own though, to accuse her of anything. You know, you need more, But still together they showed a very telling pattern. By the third day, law enforcement had shifted its focus almost entirely. While the public searched for a carjacking, well not look for that, individual investigators behind the scenes began considering the possibility that Suzanne knew more about her children's disappearance than she was admitting. So to test her credibility, officers arranged for her to take a polygraph test. Now her husband, David Smith or ex husband, I should say, took one as well, and his results showed no indication that he had any knowledge of what was happening to the boys or what had happened, but Suzanne's results, however, were inconclusive, so she was brought back for another one, and that too failed and was inconclusive. Now, polygraph results are not exactly the most reliable and are certainly not admissible in court, but for investigators they can be a useful tool. In Suzanne's case, the results did not prove guilt, but they reinforced what detectives were already beginning to suspect she was not telling the full truth, but still publicly, they continued to search for a suspect who may not even exist, which he doesn't. They also began searching bodies of water in their search grids, too, lakes and ponds close to Suzanne's reported roots, where they were beginning to be checked by dive teams. Suzanne pleaded for the safe return of her kids, with more televised interviews, more appeals, and more cries. She continued to speak directly to this imagined abductor, asking him to return Michael and Alex safely. She said she could quote feel it in her heart that they were okay. She told it the viewers that her children were strong, that their family was waiting for them, and still David stood beside her during many of these appearances, his voice steady but strained, urging the public to not stop looking, even though they were staring directly at the killer. Still, investigators questioned Suzanne, but now they were specifically looking for inconsistencies and faults in her story. Now, for clarity, these were not formal interrogations, but longer conversations meant to clear up details that sort of thing. She was voluntarily talking to them, and each time officers asked her to walk through the events again, and each time these small inconsistencies continued to emerge. At one point, even Suzanne told investigators that she had been on her way to visit a friend that night of the carjacking, but when officers spoke to that friend, they learned he had not been expecting her and was not even home at the time. When confronted by this, Suzanne of course adjusted the explanation.
Speaker 2: Of course, she did. She needs to just shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, she needs to go behind bars, is what she needs to do.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, like she just I don't know. I think it would probably be pretty easy for the police to send something is off. I don't think it took very long for them to realize something.
Speaker 1: It was almost immediately, and I believe it was like what the second day when they were at that red light testing it. It was I believe as far as I've read, the police and investigators were questioning her events almost upon hearing your story directly like, yeah, they're okay, sending out the search, they're trying to find this vehicle, the apps are going out for this guy, this suspect. Where are the kids. All that's happening, But almost immediately they're like, something's not right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They had a gut feeling, which yeah, I'm glad. I mean, I guess it's good that she is just digging herself this whole because you know it's going to get this.
Speaker 1: Solved, so definitely now. Detectives also paid close attention to Suzanne's language and her body language, and there were incidents where she referred to Michael and Alex both in the past tense when referring to them ooh. And this is about when the pressure from the media began to turn two. As reports began to learn about the inconsistencies in Suzanne's story and the inconclusive polygraph tests, coverage grew more skeptical. The racial element of Suzanne's accusation all also weighed heavily on the investigation. For more than a week, police had been searching for a black mail right this suspect based solely on her description, Innocent people were being questioned and pulled over in their vehicles. Tensions rose within the police for pestering the black community, and law enforcement leadership became increasingly concerned about the damage being done by a claim they no longer specifically believed to even be true.
Speaker 2: That's really not good either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have to remember too, the time this is in. This is in nineteen ninety four, Okay, so when there's a lot more you know what, racial tensions and things like that, especially for the area as well. So it's almost like she did that on purpose, playing up into this profile, which is even worse of a monster.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that makes her seem way worse for right now.
Speaker 1: By the ninth day, investigators decided they could no longer allow the situation to continue as it was, and Suzanne was brought in for another interview, this time more direct and more confrontational than any other ones before. The sheriff told her plainly, just flat out better story did not make sense. He explained the problems with the traffic light, he pointed out the lack of witnesses, and he even made a bold choice here and introduced a fabricated detail. He told her that undercover officers had been stationed at Monarch Mills Road at that intersection that night for an unrelated drug investigation, and that they had not seen any such carjacking. Now this was, of course, as I mentioned, fabricated. It was bait, trying to get her to believe more than what was true. So perhaps she would just spill it and confess a white lie. Yeah, and Suzanne listened quietly. At one point she asked the officer to pray with her, and afterwards she lowered her head and began to cry. She said she was ashamed, She said she was scared. Then, in a moment that changed everything, she told him something she had not said before. Quote, my children are not all right end quote. Suzanne Smith's written confession was careful and unsettling in its detail. Over two pages, she described the night of October twenty fifth, nineteen ninety four, not as a crime carried out in a moment of panic, but as a slow emotional unraveling that ended at the edge of that lake. She wrote that she had left her home that evening emotionally distraught and unsure of what to do. Instead of driving directly to her mother's house, though as she initially intended, she drove aimlessly through Union County, her anxiety building as the minutes passed. She said she felt like a failure as a wife, as a woman, and as a mother, and believed she could no longer be a good parent to both Michael and Alex. So eventually she drove to John D. Long Lake, a quiet, dark body of water north of town. There she stopped at the boat ramp, and in her confession, Suzanne claimed she initially planned to kill herself along with her children. She wrote that she put her car in neutral and allowed it to roll part way down the ramp, but stopped it. She did this more than once, each dame pulling that brake before the car could enter the water. Then she got out of the vehicle, and standing outside the car, Suzanne wrote that she was overwhelmed with fear and uncertainty. She questioned why her life felt so hopeless and why everything seemed to be falling apart. Then she said she made a final decision. She reached back into the car, released the brake, and let it go. The car rolled forward, carrying Michael and Alex still strapped into their car seats, all the way down the ramp and into the lake immediately after, before the car even sunk beneath the surface, Suzanne said she ran from the lake towards Highway forty nine and then to the nearest house, where she began screaming for help, and from that moment on she committed herself to the story of a carjacking, a lie that she would maintain for a total of nine days. In her confession, Suzanne framed her actions as an act of distorted protection. She wrote that she believed her children would be quote better off with God end quote, and that they would never be hurt again. She also expressed regret sorrow, saying that she loved her sons and never meant to hurt them, even as she described the deliberate steps that led to her their deaths. And when she was finished writing, the investigation officially shifted into a homicide.
Speaker 2: Just like that. Yeah, the investigators were probably just floored. Really, Yeah, I don't think they could have imagined that is what the outcome was that happened.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so, now, mind you, there was a chance of something like this because they I mean, right after this, divers were dispatched to John D. Long Lake right with precise instructions from Susanna on where to find it, and using sonar equipment, they located the Burgundy Masda submerged approximately I think it was one hundred and twenty two feet from shore in about eighteen feet of water. They searched that water already. They search waters looking for a submerged vehicle, something that could have been ditched, whether by her or potentially this quote unquote black man who carjacked me sort of situation, but earlier searches had Actually they searched this area, but they missed the vehicle because investigators believed the car would be within thirty feet of the shore and they didn't search further into the lake.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it was quite far into the lake. It was. Now.
Speaker 1: When the vehicle was pulled from the lake, Alex and Michael were found exactly where Suzanne said they would be, still strapped into their car seats in the back. The doors were locked and the boys were pronounced dead at the scene.
Speaker 2: That is just so got wrenching my heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah. With physical evidence now matching Suzanne's confession, there was no longer any doubt what had happened or who was responsible that night, Suzanne Smith was placed under arrest and charged with two counts of murder, and now investigators turned to the question that still had no clear answer why. At first, Suzanne insisted there was no motive. She claimed the deaths were the result of a mental breakdown and that she had not planned to kill her children, that everything spiraled out of control in a single night. But as detectives pressed further, a different story began to emerge, one rooted in not just an evening alone, but in the weeks and months leading up to it. The key was a letter. Suzanne admitted that in the days before October twenty fifth, she'd been devastated by the end of a relationship with a man by the name of Tom Finley, a wealthy local man that she'd been involved with after separating from David Smith. Now, Tom was the son of the owner of the textile company where Suzanne had actually worked. He came from money, status and the social world. Suzanne had felt long excluded from the relationship, however, was not what Suzanne believed it to be. Shortly before the murders of her sons, Tom sent Suzanne a letter formally ending things between them. In it, he told her plainly that he did not want children, and he didn't want to have the responsibility of raising someone else's either. He made it clear that no matter how close they'd become, their relationship would never move forward, because well, I'm Michael and Alex when it comes down to it. Now that letter is available to read, and he was very respectful in it, but he was very blunt that he did not want kids and he couldn't be in a relationship with her because.
Speaker 2: She has kids, which is a decision that he's allowed to make, right exactly, So holy frig now.
Speaker 1: Investigators would later learn that Suzanne had been deeply fixated on this rejection. Coworkers recalled that she spoke about Tom constantly. One colleague even remembered Suzanne saying outright that she was in love with him, but it could never be because because of her children.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that's really like monster right there. Yeah, even more so.
Speaker 1: On the afternoon of October twenty fifth, Suzanne reportedly tried once more to see Tom at work, but by that point he wanted no further contact, and she was escorted out of the building, visibly upset. It was after leaving work then she picked up Michael and Alex from daycare, and from there, well, she didn't go home, She just drove for hours. Investigators pieced together her movements that evening through witness statement and Suzanne's own admissions. She drove around Union County, aimlessly, stopping nowhere in particular, circling through town, with her emotional state deteriorating. By the time she reached John DeLong Lake that night, her marriage was over, her relationship with Tom was definitively finished, and the future she had imagined for herself no longer existed. Prosecutors would later argue that this context mattered deeply because they believed Suzanne did not see her children as the center of her life in that moment, but more of an obstacle to a future she desperately wanted, and removing them, in her mind, meant freeing herself.
Speaker 2: Okay, she could have just like turned over custody or something to the father, right, I mean, yeah, I could have Like that is an option and said, I, Oh my gosh, this is like the most selfish thing ever. Yeah, and who even knows if that relationship would have even worked. Maybe there could have been something else, you know, he maybe he blamed it on the kids, but there could have been way more and it would maybe not have ended up working anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she just.
Speaker 2: I know who, I mean, I could the only thing I could kind of understand, which there's nothing that you can really understand, but it was like mental health and she was just like, you know, really spiraling. And but to do this just for a potential relationship, are you freaking kidding me?
Speaker 1: You guys should see Nicole's face right now. She has the look in her face of if I could punch a bit this, Yeah, Like, this is.
Speaker 2: Just disgusting sitting here listening. I know.
Speaker 1: I told you you're probably going to be mad at me.
Speaker 2: I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at her. What the hell does she think she's? Like? Who does she think she is?
Speaker 1: She? I know, piece of.
Speaker 2: Garbage she is? Now.
Speaker 1: Suzanne denied this interpretation, though she maintained that she never killed her sons to be with Tom, insisting that her actions were driven by despair and being on the edge of suicide. Not ambition, but the timing, the letter, the rejection, the confrontation at work, and the drive to the lake. It all told the story that investigators just couldn't ignore. Suzanne Smith was soon formally charged with two counts of murder, and from the beginning, prosecutors made it very clear this would not be a routine case, and the state announced it would seek the death penalty. That decision immediately raised the stakes. Suzanne had confessed. The physical evidence was overwhelming, to say the least, and the case had already traumatized a town and captured the nation. But under South Carolina law, a confession alone was not enough to justify execution. Prosecutors would still have to prove intent, specifically that Suzanne acted with malice.
Speaker 2: They okay, I just have to say. They really need to make sure though, that there's never ever an opportunity for her to have another kid ever?
Speaker 1: Fair?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like really like that. That's the number one prior.
Speaker 1: Well, how do you take that away from someone?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, but it needs to be so she has to be locked up forever, I guess, because yeah, how could you ever allow someone like this to have another kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now the man tasked with doing this, the man tasked with trying to seek the death penalty and putting her away or whatever seeking justice that needs to be done, It would be Tommy Pope, the solicitor who would lead the case for the state. Tommy and his team began methodically rebuilding the crime from the ground up. They reviewed Suzanne's confession line by line, comparing it against physical evidence from the lake, the vehicle, and the scene where she claimed the carjacking took place. They examined everything they could, looking for proof that Suzanne had time to stop herself and chose not to. But one of the most important questions was how long the car took to sink. If the car disappeared almost instantly, it could support the defense's claimed that the events moved too fast for her to intervene. But if the car floated even briefly, it could suggest something else entirely, perhaps that she simply stood back and watched. Investigators conducted a controlled recreation using a similar mast to protege. They matched the weight of the vehicle and the placement of the car seats as closely as possible, and cameras were mounted inside to document what had happened once the car entered the water. The results were chilling. The car didn't sink right away. It floated for several minutes, approximately six minutes in total in fact, before finally slipping beneath the surface. During that time, water slowly would fill the cabin, rising very steadily, and there was ample opportunity for someone outside the car to open the doors. Maybe if they wouldn't open break a window and release the kids, or at the very least attempt a rescue, that evidence would become central to the prosecution's case. At the same time, Suzanne's defense team was taking shape. Her attorney David Bruck and Judy Clark were already well known for handling high profile capital cases. Their strategy was clear from the start. They would not dispute that Suzanne caused her son's death. Instead, they would argue that she was not acting with a clear rational mind. The defense began assembling a detailed psychological history. They documented Suzanne's father's suicide when she was six, repeated suicide attempts as a teenager, her history of depression, and the sexual abuse she said she endured at the hands of her stepfather. Psychiatrists evaluated her and diagnosed her with major depression and a dependent personality disorder, a condition marked by an extreme need for approval and fear of abandonment. Their argument was not that Suzanne was insane in a legal sense, but that she was emotionally broken and overwhelmed, incapable of deliberate malice planning. In the months leading up to the trial, both sides prepared for a courtroom battle that would decide not only Suzanne Smith's fate, but whether she would become the first woman in decades to be executed in South Carolina. Suzanne Smith's trial began in July of nineteen ninety five in Union County, South Carolina, less than a year after Michael and Alex were killed. News crews descended on Union County from across the country, filling hotels or storefronts and lining the streets around the courthouse with satellite trucks. Now, the judge barred television cameras from the proceedings, concerned that the trial would become more about a spectacle than justice. But still every development was reported daily and the courtroom itself remained pact. David Smith attended the trial every day. Sitting just feet away from the woman who had killed his two sons, he listened as the case unfolded in excruciating detail. Later he would describe the experience as reopening wounds he had barely survived during the nine days the boys are missing. He had stood beside Suzanne, publicly believing her story and defending her innocence, but now he was forced to relive those days knowing the truth. The prosecution opened by laying out a straightforward narrative. Susan Smith, they argued, did not act in panic or confusion. She made a series of decisions, one after the other that ended with her son's deaths. Prosecutors walked the jury through Suzanne's life in the moment leading up to October twenty fifth, nineteen ninety four. They detailed her divorce from David, her involvement with Tom Finley, and the emotional collapse that followed when the relationship ended. The jury heard about the letter Tom sent explicitly stating that he did not want children and did not see a future with her. Prosecutors argued that this rejection struck at the core of Suzanne's identity and self worth. The state also focused heavily on timing. Suzanne did not go straight to the lake after leaving work that day. Instead, she picked up her children from daycare and drove around the Union County for hours on end. There was no emergency or immediate crisis forcing her hand. She had time alone with her thoughts, time to reconsider, time to choose another path. When she finally arrived at John D. Long Lake, prosecutor said her action showed intent rather than confusion. She drove onto the boat ramp, placed the car neutral, and let it roll forward. When the car did not immediately sink, she didn't intervene. Instead, she either watched the car sink or let it sink behind her, but either way she walked away without trying anything.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, earlier you had said six minutes. That's literally what I'm repeating in my head. That is a long time.
Speaker 1: That is a long time now, As I mentioned, investigators had recreated the event using a similar vehicle, Expert witnesses explaining that the car floated for that not approximate six minutes before submerging, and the prosecution argued those six minutes mattered. They showed that Suzanne had ample opportunity to open the doors, free her children, or at the very least attempt a rescue. But she did none of those things. Nothing. She just left the scene and then began the carjacking story. The defense, when it was their turned, did not dispute that Suzanne caused her son's deaths. They instead presented psychiatric testimony describing her long history of depression, suicide attempts, and emotional instability. Jurors heard about her father's suicide, her sexual abuse as a teenager, and diagnoses that painted her as deeply dependent on approval and terrified of abandonment. Defense attorneys argued that Suzanne intended to kill herself that night along with her children, but lost the nerve of a very last moment. According to this version of events, Suzanne's body acted against her own intention, leaving her children trapped in a tragedy she could no longer stop. In a move that surprised the prosecution, the judge then allowed the jurors to consider a lesser charge, one of manslaughter instead.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: After days of testimony, expert opinions, and emotional arguments, the case went to the jury and their deliberations were brief. After just two and a half hours, they returned with their verdict. Suzanne Smith was found guilty of two counts of murder. The guilty verdict delivered, the trial moved immediately into its most emotional charge state, the penalty phase, and one of the most powerful moments of the penalty phase came when David Smith took the stand. Speaking as the father of Michael and Alex, he described the devastation their deaths caused. He talked about the daily reality of waking up to silence, about the future his sons would never have, and about the unbearable knowledge that their lives ended in such fear. His testimony was emotional and raw, forcing the jury to confront the human cost of Suzanne's actions in a way no expert witness could. After closing arguments, the jury was sent to deliberate again, and once more, it came quickly. After approximately two and a half hours, the jury returned with its recommendation that Susan Smith would not be sentenced to death, but instead she would receive life in prison. The decision disappointed prosecutors who believed the facts just execution, and for David Smith, the verdict was complicated. While he wanted the death penalty, he later acknowledged that life in prison meant Suzanne would wake up every single day knowing what she had done. The judge formerly sentenced Susanne Smith to life in prison. Under South Carolina law. At the time, that sentence carried the possibility of parole after thirty years, a detail the jury was not permitted to consider when making their decision, but that meant that she was eligible for parole in late twenty twenty four. The hearing was held by videolink, with Suzanne appearing from prison. She was fifty three years old. Her hair was still graying, her face older, but her voice, when she finally spoke it too, was still tentative and emotional. As she began her statement, she attempted to say that she was very sorry, but quickly broke down in tears, lowering her head and pausing to regain control. Quote. I know what I did was horrible and I would give everything so I could change it end quote. Members of the parole board questioned Suzanne directly. They asked her about the enormous law enforcement effort that followed her false carjacking report. Hundreds of officers, divers, volunteers, and federal agents deployed over nine days. When she asked why she continued to lie for so long, well, she just said because she was scared and didn't know how to tell them. Her attorney argued that Suzanne posed no threat to the public. He emphasized that she had no criminal history before the murders and that her actions in nineteen ninety four were the result of untreated mental illness. If released, he said, Suzanne had arrangements to live with her brother and continue mental health treatment under the supervision of licensed professionals. But Suzanne was not the only person who spoke that day. A large group entered the hearing room to argue against her release, and among them was David Smith. He stood quietly as others spoke, a photograph of Michael and Alex pinned to his jacket. When it was his turn, he struggled to get through his statement. His voice shook as he reminded the board what had happened and that it was not a tragic mistake, not an accident, not a result of confusion. It was a free choice, he said, quote it's just not enough, so I'm asking that you please deny her parole today end quote. David also made it clear that he planned to attend every single future parole hearing, no matter how long it took, to make sure his sons were not forgotten. After hearing all sides, the parole Board deliberated, and their decision was unanimous. Susanne Smith was denied parole. Now under state law, she will be eligible to apply again every two years from here on out, meaning as of record this episode in twenty twenty six, she will be applying again for parole this year. But no matter the time that passes. Here we are even decades after the murders, and Suzanne Smith's version of events has remained largely the same. She continues to insist that she intended to die that night at John D. Long Lake, and that her son's deaths were the result of a failed suicide attempt rather than a deliberate act. In letters, interviews, and statements made from prison, she's repeatedly said that she was not herself, that something quote went wrong, and there was no motive. That explanation has never sat comfortably with investigators, prosecutors, and many who have examined this case closely. From the beginning, law enforcement struggled to reconcile Suzanne's words with her actions. If she intended to die, they questioned, why did she exit the vehicle, And if panic took over, they asked why did she not attempt to rescue during those several minutes the car remained afloat, And if confusion ruled over her mind, they wonder how she was able to construct and maintain a detailed false narrative for nine days, including repeated media appearances and specific descriptions of an imaginary suspect. Perhaps most troubling to authorities was Suzanne's certainty about where the car was located. Once she confessed, divers were able to recover the vehicle only after she provided the precise location. Investigators later stated that to know that spot so accurately, she would have to stand at the water's edge and watch the car fully submerge. Despite it all, Suzanne has never publicly acknowledged that her relationship with Tom was the driving force behind the murders. She's repeatedly denied that she killed her children to pursue a life without them, even as prosecutors and jurors concluded otherwise. After the parole hearing ended and the room was cleared, Suzanne Smith returned to prison, where she remains incarcerated under the same sentence imposed in nineteen ninety five, life with the possibility of parole. For investigators, prosecutors, and the Smith family, nothing is changed with time. From the start, the case was never about uncertainty. Law enforcement doubted Suzanne's story almost immediately. The inconsistencies were not subtle even before Suzanne confessed. Investigators were searching water, not highways, not just highways. There was the possibility the carjacker could have drove the car into the lake and likely what Suzanne was hoping everyone would have believed when it was found, But still investigators suspected early on that she knew where her sons were. The confession did not reveal a shocking truth so much as confirm what police already believed, and over the decades since, nothing Suzanne has said or done has altered that core assessment. She's repeatedly described the murders as unplanned, She's continued to frame them as a result of mental illness rather than motive, and she's expressed sorrow, but often in ways that center her suffering rather than the loss of her children. Prosecutors and family members have pointed out that she's never directly apologized to David Smith, never meaningfully acknowledged the harm she caused beyond generalized regret, and her conduct in prison has further complicated her claims of rehabilitation and likely affected her possibility of parole as well. See she's had sexual relationships with guards, disciplinary violations, drug infractions, and unauthorized media contact, all while serving her sentence. For David Smith, the passage of time has not softened the memory of that week in nineteen ninety four. He stood behind Suzanne while the world watched. He defended her, pleaded for their son's return, believing they were still alive, and then suddenly he learned that she was lying the whole time, a betrayal that never faded. Neither did the image of Michael and Alex, years old and fourteen months old, strapped into a car seat as water slowly filled the inside of that vehicle around them. At its core, this case is about two children whose lives ended violently and so unnecessarily, But it also exposed how easily public trust can be manipulated, how quickly fear can be weaponized, and how devastating the consequences of a lie can be when left unchecked. Smith's false claim that a black man carjacked her vehicle did not exist in a vacuum. In nineteen ninety four. The story fit neatly into long standing racial stereotypes, and it was repeated widely before law enforcement had a chance to challenge it. As a result, innocent black men in the area were stopped, questioned, and viewed with suspicion during the search. Prosecutors later emphasized that this was not a side effect of the case, but a direct result of Suzanne Smith's decision to blame a fire titious stranger rather than take responsibility. Investigators have said that element of the line made the case more than a personal tragedy. It turned it into a broader social wound, one that affected people who had nothing to do with the crime at all. For Union County, the case became inseparable from the place itself. Residents have spoke about how simply naming the location still brings up the murdering conversation, even thirty years later. It's a reminder of how one act can permanently define a community in the public eye. But for the Smith family, the legacy is far more personal. There were no graduations, no weddings no adult lives to watch unfold. Michael and Alex never became memories shaped by years of shared experiences. Instead, they became memories shaped by tragedy. For those two boys, justice is not measured in years served or privileges earned. It's measured in remembrance. And as long as their father continues to stand before parole boards and say their names out loud, the story will not be allowed to drift quietly into the past. It will remain exactly what it is. A case where the truth eventually surfaced, a lie collapsed under its own weight, and two children who never came home. And that's the story of Suzanne Smith.
Speaker 2: Who, holy molith, that's a story. Yeah, that's a story. You know. I don't even before you kind of alluded to it, it doesn't I don't get the sense that she is remorseful.
Speaker 1: I don't think so either, And I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Exactly, because I can't imagine how you wouldn't be after especially like you know, being able to reflect for so many years on what you did.
Speaker 1: I know, right, And I don't doubt. I mean I might doubt, but there is a high possibility that she was suicidal. There is a high possibility that she was having these mental struggles and that she didn't know what to do with herself. But then why did you kill your sons?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, especially like it does seem, you know, like you had a dad that was involved with them, right, so you could you not have easily, you know, gone and let him take care of them while you figured out your shit.
Speaker 1: Exactly. She took an entire her own tragedy because her story prior to killing two innocent children is a tragedy in its own. She suffered, she did, but as I've said before, it's whatever you're going through is no excuse to harm someone else. And that's what she did. She took what she was going through and put it on her two little boys and made them suffer for it.
Speaker 2: Like, look at how many people there are in the world that can't have kids or struggle to have kids, and then you have a mom that does this discards them to two little boys.
Speaker 1: It's sickening.
Speaker 2: And I've said this before. I also just hate that like David has to potentially go and do this every two years, you know, yeah, I mean, and I mean I bet you he's very willing to fight for his boys, but that sucks for him. Yeah, it's like probably just rip opening this this wound.
Speaker 1: Right, being the band aid off in a fresh wound opening it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, every fricking two years.
Speaker 1: So it's a very tragic tale. Yeah, hopefully you guys enjoyed this story. Those two boys deserve to have their story told, and I'm glad that their father is out there making sure that they're not forgotten. And hopefully I can help do that here today by telling their story, and hopefully you guys enjoyed hearing it. Hopefully you can remember them. And I'm just gonna end it with that, thank you for being here, and until next time, stay wicked.