Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z Boston Radio. Thanks very much, Nical. It is indeed debate night here in Massachusetts. The top of the ticket in Massachusetts, as elsewhere, of course, is the presidential race. But in Massachusetts, right behind is the US Senate race, which pits the incumbent US Senator, a two term US Senator, Liz Warren, against John Deaton, the Republican challenger. We're going to get to that in just a moment. Let me introduce myself. My name's Dan Ray. Let me tell you how the program's gonna work tonight. We're gonna speak in just a couple of minutes with Amy Carnevalley. She's the head of the Massachusetts Republican Party. I will take a few phone calls after Amy leaves, if you would like to join me and give me your prediction or your preview as to what you think will happen tonight. I have some questions for Amy Carnavalley. We're gonna get to Amy right after. I remind you that Rob Brooks is actually taking phone calls this hour, So the real debate will start at eight thirty. We'll run from eight thirty to nine and at nine thirty, we'll come back. I'll tell you exactly what I thought in a complete honesty. Whoever want in my opinion, and that I want to hear your opinion. So let's first off, this is sort of the pre debate part of the program. Amy Carnavalley, the chair of the Massachusetts Republican Party. Welcome, Amy. How are you tonight?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Good to be with you, Dan, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: It's always absolutely before we get to John Deaton and Elizabeth Warren, which is the main course tonight, if you will, how's the Republican Party doing? Across the board? The Republican Party that you've inherited as a weekend party, it's probably at its weakest point ever you've taken over the ship, as it were. I give us a sense as to have you made some improvements. Have there been some steps in the right direction this summer and fall. Give us give us a little bit of an update on the Republican Party in Massachusetts, and certainly don't make it an autops seat.
Speaker 3: Okay, not at all.
Speaker 2: Thanks for asking that question, Dan, and we actually have a lot of great news to report. As you noted, I did inherit a party that was at a low point. Two years ago, we had lost seats as Republicans, but since that time we have rebounded. We had a special election a year ago in a state Senate seat and we were successful and electing Peter Durand to that seat and actually flipped a seat from Democrat to Republicans in the state Senate. And we have recruited a terrific batch of candidates who are running in November. We're running over seventy candidates across the Commonwealth, and we're looking seriously at adding to our seats in the State Senate. And in a presidential election, that's a hard thing for Republicans to do, but we do expect to make gains in the State Senate and we're looking to either hold her ad seats in the State House as well. So we're feeling great about the position we're in, and of course the issues are on our side as Republicans.
Speaker 1: Well. I had one of your state Senate candidates on last week, Kelly Doner, who's on the South Coast, and she was able to bring to light this story about EBT cards and the fact that in a state of eight of about little six point seven million people. There is something like two point six million, two point six million EBT cards floating around. This was a freedom of Information Act that this candidate, Kelly Doner, brought forward. She's a thirty two year old female running for an open state Senate seat. Have your candidates and other races alluded to that seemingly numerical disparity of a great magnitude?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know so, I actually just happened to tune in and I listened to the interview you had with Kelly, and she's done a fantastic job just as a candidate drawing attention to this EBT issue. Imagine what she would do if she was actually elected to the seat. And we actually think she has a great chance of doing that because she's gotten the attention not only of inde Republicans and independents, but also Democrats who care about transparency and accountability of our taxpayer dollars. So, Kelly is a fantastic job, fantastic job, and she's been working with some of our leaders in the state Senate and State House echoing that message on the EBT cards because too many Democrats on Beacon Hill are not asking the hard questions and when they are asking the questions. They're kind of pushed to the side by the Democratic leadership, who at this point do not feel that they're accountable to tax payers in the Commonwealth, and we're looking to change that as republic Wilkins, Well, one.
Speaker 1: Thing which would be great if we had a stronger two party system, and I guess that responsibility, a huge responsibility falls to you. Maybe a big step tonight, we'll be taken with the Warren Daton debate. I've had Daton on the show. Elizabeth Warren has never deigned to darken our doorways, which is okay, that's her choice. Tell us a little bit about John Daton, and also, this is a huge night for him because you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and this will be his first impression for many people who have never seen him, perhaps never heard him before.
Speaker 2: You're right, this is a big night for John. He's a US Marine, veteran, cancer survivor, father to three daughters, a trial attorney, and someone who came from extreme poverty to be a successful individual. And he's running as someone who wants to back to the community. He's running really as an independent minded Republican who has talked about wanting to work with good people on both sides of the aisle, and that that's a real change from what we have now under center Senator Warren, who has is an extreme partisan in Washington, d C. And I think really undisputedly has has chosen to pursue a path of partisanship and progressive nature. And you know, I would just ask, you know, really, what has Senator Warren done over the last twelve years? What has he achieved for the taxpayers of Massachusetts and the individuals in Massachusetts. And I think that's what we'll hear John Deaton talk about during the debate and and talk about the need for a different perspective in Massachusetts and in the opportunity to talk to voters about where he stands on some of these issues and how he would represent people in Massachusetts better than Senator Warren has done over the last twelve years.
Speaker 1: Well, Dean is in a tough spot tonight because one, he has to be respectful of the office of her incumbency and also has to be respectful as a male, to be respectful of his opponent, who has a much higher name recognition and also a lot more money in the Bank, So it's a very interesting needle he will have to thread tonight. Have you had a chance to talk with him in the last few days and give us a sense of how you think he's going to handle that sort of delicate balance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have spoken with John.
Speaker 2: I know some of the individuals who have helped him prepare for the debate this evening, our people who worked in the former Baker administration under Charlie Baker, some of his top policy advisors, and certainly you know, thinking about the Baker administration and Charlie Baker and how he prepared for a debate, you know, John has benefited from some experienced individuals and thinking about how to present issues and talk about issues to a populace in Massachusetts who tends to be very independent minded. So I think he's had the benefit of some strong counsel and I'm anxious to see how he does tonight. And I know his heart is really in talking about how he really wants to give back and serve the people of Massachusetts and provide a more independent voice here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: All Right, Amy Connavelli, thanks very much you help me set it up tonight. I'm going to let you go because I'm sure that you want to get your popcorin popped and everything to watch the debate. We will get reactions after the debate. Feel free if you have a strong point of view one way or the other. At nine thirty, you can certainly come back and join us. Rob will give you the inside number. In the meantime. If I don't talk to you, we'll talk. We'll get you on here hopefully soon, you know, at least one more time in advance of the election of November fifth, because I think it's so important and there's much more to talk about on politics. You and I haven't talked in a while, So thanks so much for joining us tonight. I promised i'd keep it for ten minutes, and I think I'm right at that level right now. Okay, Thanks Amy.
Speaker 2: Thank you Dan, and thanks for all of you do to draw attention to these important policy issues.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Make sure Rob will give you the calling line when you're off the air now if you folks would like to call in, we have about seven or eight Minutes's got to take quick commercial break, which I will do, and if a couple of calls want to tell me what they're looking for, tonight. That's fine. We will air the debate for you. It's being hosted by the Boston Globe in channel four. John Keller and they an editor for the Boston Globe, will be the panel, asking both Senator Warren and the GOP challenger John Deaton the questions and we will give you. You'll hear the debate from a thirty to nine thirty and then I will be right back. And I want you to load up these phone lines. Whatever you think in the meantime. If you're on the line, stay there. If you're not, give us a quick call and try to get you in six months seven two, five, four, ten thirty six month seven nine, three, one, ten thirty. It's debate night in Massachusetts for a big United States Senate seat. These Senate seats only come around once every six years. They actually are less common. They get a six year during presidents only get a four. Back on Nightside right after this, Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World to night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio. Okay, I want to get a couple of quick callers in here to see what they're expecting, what they hope to see in Tonight's to make let me start off with Katie in Dandrews. Hi, Katie, welcome first up this hour and Nightside.
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Katie, Hi, I just have a question about you know, if you could just talk about the biggest differences between the Inn and Warren. It's so chaotic. I was just wondering if you'd give me like a couple of bullet points to differentiate between the two candidates, like what's the most important differences that you see?
Speaker 1: Well, again, depending upon your perspective, they're both a pro choice, so that's an issue that you know. Dayton has basically clarified he's pro choice, so a lot of people might vote the Democratic Party might be willing to give him a chance. I think there's a lot of differences in terms of their their philosophy and how they different issues that would come up before them. But I think mostly we need some Republican representation. I think here in Massachusetts in the US Senate, because we when there's a it's most most states have one of each, and I think that Liz Warren has been there. I'm not particularly I don't like Liz Warren's personality. She's not available to most people. She was more interested in running running for president, in my opinion, than doing Ted Kennedy did, which was always bring home the bacon to Massachusetts. And you know, Ted, there was no better senator at helping Massachusetts. And I don't know, you know if how good Deeton would be at that, but he would be at least a different point of view in the Senate representing Massachusetts. So if there is a Republican president, maybe we would have one senator who would have that President's here. It's going to be a closerction. I have no idea how it's going to come out, So I just think balance here, and I think we would do better if we were if we were truly a two party state. That's my opinion. Thank you, helps, Katie, thank you very much. Let's keep going here. I'm going to go to Patty in New Hampshire. Patty got about a minute left here before I get to take a break. You were next all the nightside, Patty, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I'm a former Massachusetts resident, but I've been living in New Hampshire for a long time, but I am a Republican and I recently visited with a friend over the weekend from Everett Massachusetts. And you know, they say there's no election fraud going on, but yet and he used to be a police officer, so he told me that for him and his wife, he got four bit ballots in the mail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's yeah, Patty, I would say that happens, but I don't consider that on the fraud that's going to impact an election. Look, you know the vice president will be will win Massachusetts whether you like it.
Speaker 5: What happens, I mean, what happens with the Let's say that they hypothetically filled that off for ballance, would they accept them?
Speaker 1: I would hope not. But again, I think in a state where there'll be probably three million voting, this is going to every election is going to be some mistakes, but I don't consider that to be election fraud unless it's done intentionally on a broader scale. Patty called me again another night when much more time and we can discuss this in greater depth. Thank you so much for calling tonight. And you've fled the people's Republic of Massachusetts. Thanks very much. Okay, going to take a very quick break here. We will be coming back to you before the debate, but take a very quick break, and then I'll be back to wrap up this half hour. It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio. Okay, we've got a little over a minute left here for me just to set up this debate again. It's going to be at the WBC studios, place that I'm very familiar with, having worked there for thirty one years. It will not be broadcast on Channel four, my understanding, is going to be broadcast on Channel thirty eight, which is the sort of the sister station or whatever, the little brother station of Channel four. I watched that for the Patriots postgame shows fifth quarter, but tonight you'll be able to watch it there or Betty, I just listen to it right here on WBC. As soon as it wraps up. We will be back on John Keller. It's going to be the host. It will also be an editor from the Boston Globe there to ask questions of Senator Elizabeth Warren and her Republican challenger John Deeton. I would say, listen to the question, see who represents your point of view better. I'll give you my recap. I will tell you what I truly think of the debate and who won who lost about an hour from now. But I all also want you to light these phone lines up and let me know. If you think Elizabeth Warren, one, just tell me why. If you think John Daton, one tell me why, and we'll have a good opportunity to really talk about the debate as soon as it finishes at nine thirty. So for now I'm going to sign off, sit back just like you and listen to the debate that's going to be broadcast on Channel thirty eight. My name is Dan Ray. This is night Side. You're listening town PC, Boston's news radio. All right, we're having just a little bit of a problem making our connection. That was perfectly timed, by the way, so I'm pretty good at that. But we will either either they have delayed the start of the debate or we will join it in progress and as soon as we hear the conversation underneath all now, they're sending a signal down the line. It's amazing sometimes when you deal with the networks, they tend to be right on to the second. And again it's a little more complicated, but we will have the audio of this debate. I'm insured in totality again. It's Elizabeth Warren, the incumbent US senator, from Massachusetts. She is our senior senator. She's now seeking her third term in office. She is going to be debating John Deeton, who won the Republican primary this summer. Again. Deaton, political newcomer, never held elective office in Massachusetts. A litigator trial lawyer by trade, grew up in Michigan in extreme poverty. Elizabeth Warre, of course, grew up in Oklahoma. She would also claim that she was in extreme poverty. But when you look at Deaton's life story, he and his family literally were on welfare. He had his own personal problems, but went into the Marine Corps, changed his life around quite a bit, then came out apparently the first high school graduate of anyone in his family not born with a silver spoon in his mouth, for sure. And tonight we'll have an opportunity to not only take the measure both of them standing side by side and listening to them talking with one another side by side, but also to be able to evaluate what differences they might have and what proposals they might have. Obviously, one is a Republican, the other is a Democrat. I'm assuming that Warren is going to press Deeton on his support for the Republican standard bearer President Donald Trump. Because Donald Trump is not a popular figure in Massachusetts. Certainly Vice President Harris will carry massachusetts eleven electoral votes, so she can pretty much put those in her column. Right now, we have seen neither of the two major candidates campaigning in Massachusetts, which gives you an indication in all honesty of how close this state, how these candidates consider Massachusetts winnable. They're spending their time in North Carolina and Georgia and Arizona and Michigan and Pennsylvania, Nevada in Minnesota to Wisconsin. This seven or eight states at the outside that will ultimately you can take all the states that are Trump states, and you won't get to two seventy. You take all the states that are Harris states, you also won't get won't get to two seventy, and in order to be elected president, you got to get to two seventy. But some combination of those seven or eight states, whichever way they fall, will produce a winner. I suspect theoretically it could end up, I guess, going to the House of Representatives, but hopefully we can avoid that trauma. But tonight I'm sure Warren is going to try to tie Dalton as closely as she can to Donald Trump. It'll be interesting to see what Dalton has to say. Warren spent a lot of money and has had a lot of money in her war chest as any senator, the United States senator will have millions upon millions of dollars. Deton, on the other hand, had to raise money. He only spent about nine hundred thousand dollars. I'm trying to recall these figures off the top of my head. In the primary campaign he actually had a primary. Warren, on the other hand, as an incumbent, did not have a primary. She had raised a total of twenty four she raised Excuse me, well, these figures are a little interesting. She had raised eighteen million and supposedly spent twenty four million in cash on hand, she has five million. What that essentially means is she started off with well in excess of twenty four million, but she raised this year eighteen million. And look, if you're a United States senator and you want to raise some money, you just throw a party for yourself and all of the lobbyists will show up with their checkbooks wide open. On the other hand, Deaton, in order to win this nomination. He's raised about one point six that's a fraction of what Warren has raised. He has spent in winning his primary, a good amount of money. He outspent other his two opponents combined two to one. He spent about seven hundred and fifteen thousand dollars to win his primary. On the other hand, he was able to maintain about little less than a million dollars cash on hand. This is as of June thirtieth, as were the statistics from Elizabeth Warren. Rob let me ask you feel free to talk on my ear and tell me if you hear any of this debate yet it's still no audio. Okay, you're working on it. That's good to know. Okay. I hesitate to have callers call in, So I'm just going to continue here and basically give people as much background on these candidates as I can. Obviously, each of them have the endorsements that you would expect. We have nine members in the House of Representatives, and I'm certain that all of the Democratic members have endorsed as well as Warren Senate made senator at market. They've all endorsed her. She has the the democratic infrastructure in the state. The governor of Massachusetts more heally the mayor of Boston. She has a she has a deep bench, as the Democratic Party does. The Republican Party in Massachusetts obviously is a minority party. It's a weaker party, and it's it's only grown weaker because of a lot of infighting within the party. Now that would change if they were able to make some progress. And you, you know, you hope you'd like to think that you unless you're a Democratic party operative, you would like to think that you would be able to have two competitive parties. I think those are the states that do the best in my opinion. You may disagree with me on that, but I think if I was living in the state of Utah, I would be advocating for a stronger Democratic party that's a very republic or the state of Wyoming. Uh be very important to have a Democratic party in the state of war There should be a Democratic party in both states. Now the debate is underway on Channel thirty eight, and I'm watching. As we're talk we see Elizabeth Warren gesticulating as she often does, and pointing, and she again I'm not having any chance to hear what she's saying. She looks exactly like you would expect Elizabeth Warren. Deton, on the other hand, is looking into the camera. Rob. I don't know what you want to do here. Give me some guidance. If you think that that we're that we're gonna loose, what's that? Go ahead? Rob Okay. So here's what I'm gonna do while I wait for this promised audio of the Boston Globe CBS News Boston debate, which is being broadcast on Channel thirty eight. Let me go to phone calls six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six, one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. I could talk all night long about John Deaton and Elizabeth Warren, but I would much prefer to have you tell me what you think, or maybe you can even give me a little bit of your impressions. I have not heard any of the debate. I've watched it. Warren seems to be answering her questions and looking at the moderators, which is an interesting tactic when you watch a debate without audio. Deaton has been told look into the camera. That's pretty obvious and evident to me that the the circumstances there. They're both playing to different audiences. Dalton. Obviously this is his I mentioned it to Amy Carnavalley last hour. This is John Deaton's best opportunity tonight. They will have a second debate on Thursday night in Springfield, Massachusetts. But this they say, you only get a first chance to make a first impression, and that is what John Deeton is trying to do tonight. Elizabeth Warren. I think most people have a point of view of Elizabeth Warren. She's she un seated Scott Brown back in twenty twelve after Scott Brown shocked the political world, and one they senate seed in twenty ten after the passing of former Senator the lates Senator Edward Ted Kennedy. So, if you'd like to join and give me an impression of what if you're watching a little bit of it, love to hear from you what you think six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. We can do a little bit of a civics class here if you will allow, and you don't have a choice, well you do have a choice. I hope you stick with me. Said it. Seeds come up in Massachusetts every six years. It's interesting because Senator can serve thirty years when you think about it, and only win election five times. A president can only serve eight years. Presidents are term limited. US senators are not term limited. As a consequence of that, Senators are very important figures, particularly as they move through their career, their second and their third term, because they build up some seniority, they get positions on important committees, and once they have shown staying power in the Senate, the lobbyists of K Street in Washington, that's where most of the many of the lobbyists offices aren't in Washington. They they're available. They get access to the senators, and in order to get access, they support the senators. That is really the game that all of us, as average citizens, in my opinion, are impacted by, because if you're a United States Senator, you get a six year contract when you get elected, and that's a pretty nice ride. You can kind of step off, get off the gas pedal for a couple of years, but in about year three or four, as your reelection approaches, you pick up the fundraising activities. And that's part of the problem the average person and I don't really even understand the complexities of it. And I've studied it for a long long time. I think I understand them. But the way the system has worked, the Senate passes the Internal Revenue Code, which is voluminous, voluminous, the sort of things that you and I know nothing about. We pay our taxes every April fifteenth, or maybe we get an extension until October fifteenth, but annually we have to pay our tax is if we're working for ourselves and we're running our own business and employing other people, it's a tremendous strain on individuals, those who are employees. The money that you receive as an employee is tracked and reported to the IRS, and at the end of the year, sometime in early January, you get your W two form, and now you add up all of your income for any given year and you settle up with the government. But exect the exceptions to the intruder Revenue Code, the loopholes if you will, for certain industries. That is what That is what makes the US Senate run and the US House of Representatives as well. It's as simple as that. If a Senator agrees with you and says there should be a deduction or a tax credit for some cause or for some group, whether it's the pharmaceutical industry, whether it's agriculture, I will, I will, Rob. I promise whatever group is looking for a concession, when they round up enough Senators to secure that concession. Uh, that is a tremendous victory for that industry. And it means billions of dollars to that industry. That's why there's so much at stake in Washington. Okay, let me let me get some other folks in here. Again. I apologize profusely. I have no idea why we are not hearing the debate. I can tell you it's already twenty five percent over, and I will not have a benefit of hearing it tonight either, which is frankly very disappointing to me, because I wanted to hear this debate. If you want to give us your play by play, I'll appreciate it. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three one ten thirty. I have Joe and haberl who has been kind enough to call in and offer his thoughts. Hey, Joe, we're in a we're in an interesting situation today. How are you, Joe? Time?
Speaker 3: But I would like you to run for office because I know you have a lot of people that listen to you all over the state. So I'd rather have you run for office. And I think you do a good job.
Speaker 1: Well, Joe, I appreciate it. I never was tempted to do that because I always felt that I could be a better broadcaster, both in television and then eventually in radio, where my career took me. I'm not sure that I would be somebody who would be good at playing the game that so many in want. The longer you stay in Washington, the more power you accumulate. And whether you're a Speaker of the House or you're the President of the Senate. Of the Senate, I should say, the Senate majority leader, that's where the real power is.
Speaker 3: Well, I've listened to you a long time, and I think you're very qualified to have any kind of position in Congress or running for the president.
Speaker 1: Well you're kind, Joe, You're very kind. The other thing, too, is that I got to be honest with you. My job is pretty demanding in terms of my time. But my wife and I had two kids, a son and a daughter, and I really wanted to be home with them when they were young and wanted to be able to coach their sports, and that, to me was my most important responsibility. And I did that and both of them were doing very well, and so that was what my priority was. But Joe, I appreciate the endorsement.
Speaker 3: I can imagine you've been to Italy, You've been into I guess Ireland.
Speaker 1: Yep, the reason's been all over.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure the people in Ireland and Italy know who you are and would appreciate it if you did.
Speaker 1: Well. Joe, I appreciate that. In television, with my time in television, I got to broadcast from England, I got to broadcast from Germany, from Poland, from a bunch of countries around the world that I probably went to Germany several times when US hostages were brought home. But again, I've set out my path. I think I'm too far down the path to turn back now. Joe, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: If you ever changed, if you ever changed your mind, I'll vote for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks, Joe, I appreciate it very much. Jo I'm told that we now finally have our debate, as we're going to join the debate in progress,