Speaker 1: Well, everybody, Jimmy Bucky wee Bed podcast on Tony Berman here once again with Juck Melody, Chuck.
Speaker 2: How's it going really good? Tony.
Speaker 3: We had practice in the indoor today outside yesterday.
Speaker 2: Uh so we avoided any rain that may have happened. I don't know if it did or not. We were inside. It did in fact rain, and we did, in fact avoid it.
Speaker 1: All right now, it is absolutely beautiful, perfect and so we did get to see practice number two some standouts. In the afterwards. We talked with Nate, Robert Spurlittle, Bo Jackson and Can out of Jackson.
Speaker 2: We could talk a little bit about that, I suppose as we go on.
Speaker 1: But the number one thing that I wanted to talk about today was the number one guy who impressed me the most, And as we talked to people who are also at practice, that's the first name that kept coming up, and that is wide receiver Devin n Qwan, who made He had at least two long catches. One of them was a touchdown. You have another one where and the one that he caught for a touchdown was Yeah, Dominic Kelly in coverage, Yeah, sliding kind of over the shoulder, dropped in by Julian saying, great catch. I have another one where he's going up over the middle, goes way up to get it, catches it, comes down, spins out of a tackle, keeps running. And this dude was awesome again today, even better today than he was yesterday, and yesterday I was really impressed. So now like why fonts on him? And welcome to the Buck Eye Weekly Podcast. Is I might have to double all of my numbers for him this year.
Speaker 3: You know, Tony, we were talking about yesterday and I said to you, I'm of the opinion that he is going to be the clear number two guy in terms of production, and that was kind of your feeling as well, like I don't think it's a question at this point. And it almost felt like the way the guys were reacting to him, like it feels like they all get that too. And this was one of maybe I don't know the knocks on him, but maybe the questions on him was, yeah, he can do the stuff, getting the ball yards after catch, how's he gonna be catching the ball down field? My gosh, man, the guy for a dude who's not very big, right, doesn't have very long limbs, got a real knack for the ball in the air and the catch he made on Dominic Kelly in the end zone. Everybody was fired up. I mean, I'm supposed to be professional. I got a little fired up too. Tony apologized for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, if I remember, I've been to try to also throw in some one of the blocking drills where the receivers are going and just like running into Anthony Schlegel on Devin mcew and what Adam.
Speaker 2: I kept going at him.
Speaker 1: It was like wrestling with him, and he just looks like he's having time of his life at Ohio State.
Speaker 2: That's time of their life there for the defensive backs covering him. Man. Just that was also my big question with him is is there somebody.
Speaker 1: That can come down with football like Carnilge did And so far he has and he's the play action throwing jeep to him right now is very very effective. And that's when Ohio State's and base or when they're in nickel, he's getting open and he's getting open all over the place.
Speaker 3: And so the question now is you never wanted ever to I'll tell you what number four as in Jeremiah Man. He even looks faster this year. It's just remarkable. He looks so amazing out there in a room full of megafreaks. He just stands out as an alien every time, and it's just so hard not to watch him basically do everything. Yeah, but he looks tremendous. Brock Boyd with a couple of smooth catches today, one with the little yards after catch that he came down with, got the ball punched out.
Speaker 2: We thought the knee was down, but he still had to run. Still got to run. Gotta run, you gotta run.
Speaker 1: And one of the things I've noticed in these first few days of practice, when somebody's running, Keenan Bailey will run with them and coach them up a little bit on the route that they're they're jogging.
Speaker 2: Chris Henry Jr. Again was he looks completely comfortable.
Speaker 1: He's rotating in with the ones and twos, and a lot of guys are That's that's how camp goes. It was interesting then, as we're talking ones and twos to see yesterday Day one Austin Cirivell a left tackle or left right guard, and Ian Moore at left tackle. Today, Austin Siravell back at left tackle, Josh Padilla at right guard.
Speaker 2: Later on you saw a little bit of Ian Moore at right tackle.
Speaker 1: So, as Ryan Day said after practice, they're gonna move guys around, see what guys can do, and that's what they did.
Speaker 2: And it was good to see Ian Moore getting some reps at right tackle book yesterday and today so that they know more about him as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and uh, you know, the the look of that offensive line coming together. I noticed with the young guys, uh the uh Max Riley freshman Max Triley, who was you know, pretty much guard all spring, they were working him with the centers today and we did see some bad snaffs. But I'm not sure what what the what the move is there, but just something I noticed that they hadn't done before.
Speaker 2: But we will see.
Speaker 3: Like we talked about, you know, yesterday, the mixing up of who's going to be that that sixth guy or the odd man out Padilla, Phil Daniels or Ian Moore, I don't think it's gonna be Ian Moore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and I did have some people telling me that James Smith was given Josh Bidia some trouble he can do that, and it's like, well, I mean, yeah, that's that's going to happen as we see more one. It's interesting to see like James Smith so far right now, still working with the Two's what he did in his finger. He moves all around, like I said, They move up and down with the ones and the twos, like all of the tight ends basically worked with the ones. At some point today Nate Roberts, I asked him, how how deep are.
Speaker 2: You guys this year compared to last year? Tight end?
Speaker 1: He's like, just as deep I now, deeper, much more versatile, which I would agree with because they can all they all have experience doing basically both both spots. Now we all know it's the year of the tight end, but it's just it's an interesting versatile group that could help that offensive line even more anybody else, anybody else stayed out on offense?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, all right, listen, Isaiah Wes we talked about yesterday, and we were talking, are we thinking, you know, sixty forty this year? Because Isaiah does look so good Ryan Day Peyton Pierce talked about him yesterday.
Speaker 2: Today it was an even more.
Speaker 3: Impressive day for Isaiah out there than it was yesterday, at least from what I saw. I know you were closer to him yesterday, but today we got to see it all and Isaiah looks so much more explosive.
Speaker 2: He looks so much quicker. Laterally.
Speaker 3: We know last year he already led the team in mistackles forced per carry, which is his neck, he's tough to bring down. So if he's looking better with his cuts and laterally in quickness, and he's better physically than anybody else that he showed that last year, I don't know how this isn't a fifty to fifty, like you know, who's going to lead this team in rushing? Like this is a coin flip at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I said yesterday, it'll be interesting. The real interesting thing is who leads with them and carries. And I'm I'm not on the message board book Guy Insider's message board.
Speaker 1: I said maybe like seventy thirty or like I said, there like a thirty percent chance that Isaiah West leads them into rushing And that feels really low to me right now. And just watching him against today and he had no pads, no tackling, there's still there's no thudding, but they are there's some hitting a little bit going on.
Speaker 2: He is running at many.
Speaker 1: Tackles, but when he gets out there's like a swing pass where he got to the quarter and just zero to sixty instantly and showed off some of the speed that I don't think people think maybe he didn't have as much of last year, that's right, but he and he looks, He looks every bit of whatever you want to running.
Speaker 2: Back to look like right now. Now.
Speaker 3: Some people I heard say that they thought maybe Bo was a little dinged up. He talked, he was asked that he said he's fully healthy. That doesn't necessarily mean he is, but he said he was. But it just feels like the energy in there, the energy it feels like again, And it felt like this yesterday. If you didn't know who the starting running back was and you were just coming in to watch practice you hadn't seen last year, you would say it's thirty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's been running with the Ones. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so I have got I haven't gotten to see as much of Bo Jackson. This This falls so far because I've been just the way things are split up and watching the Ones more and for so for whatever reason, I'm seeing for Isaiah Westbourne that I am Bo Jackson it's still you know, no legend beg yet right that he'd be out a couple of days. So we'll see if he's back tomorrow. I don't know looking forward obviously to seeing what he could do. Nothing major there from what we've been told.
Speaker 3: So I got one note on the tight ends before we move, uh, watching every individual group in practice. Keenan Bailey has talked consistently for a couple of years about wanting to be the toughest group on the team because he understands that and he did say this in twenty four you know, we're the least talented group on the team. I don't think he says that anymore, but he's always wanted those guys to be the toughest. They practice with the most intensity of any group. And that really stands out to me because if you're gonna try to say that, back it up and practice they do the most fiery group, the hardest hitting and just just something to put out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like I said, lots of us oftelity.
Speaker 1: I've got people ask him like, well, who's what the ones they're all they're all rotating it there, and like Nate Roberts said, they've got five guys that can play.
Speaker 2: To start practicing was.
Speaker 1: Like Benet Christian and maxell Blanc running with the ones and then everybody else gets in there.
Speaker 2: And we've seen max le Blanc makes them plays the last couple of days, which is good.
Speaker 1: He saw Brody Lennon catching the touchdown on Nick later with a couple of pads, So yeah, they're they're producing.
Speaker 2: And as we know, again you have the tight end the defensive line.
Speaker 1: You got to spend some time with Kinana Jackson talking about what the player this for him this year.
Speaker 3: So and again something we also talked about yesterday, if you can find somebody to be the Kenyada last year, to be that solid strong side defensive end, then you could potentially free up Kenyada to be more of a Caden Curry role. And he was asked about this year what we may see different from him, and he said, last year, I think I sacrificed.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 3: This year, I'm going to get to play a little more all over. And you know, you get the sense that he really wanted to do that, and we know that he did that for a little spell last year when he asked for it, and I feel like it was part of the plan all along.
Speaker 2: I'm coming back.
Speaker 3: I want to be that and he, you know, kind of confirmed that that is what we're going to see out of him this year, and that is exciting news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not going to back off of my first round draft pick prediction for him or the potential that he has ten plus sack potential.
Speaker 2: I think he was six and a half last year and so he's got He was I tepical. He looks how you will your defensive ends to look. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: He's ball, he's big, he's still long and lean like it's physically I don't know how it all fenced, like, how it all works, but he's just the prototype there defensive tackles. It's basically been the same since we've It's saw John Walker and Will Smith and Knows and Edrick Houston and James Smith at three Tech and mixing in some Jamarios Simeon and some Jason Moore, Roughen and Jason Moore.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I learned much there that we did already know today.
Speaker 1: And I think the biggest thing that I saw on defense, well we can before we get to the secondary, where there's a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 2: I will say.
Speaker 1: Riley Penny John was working off ball some today as well, where as yesterday he was only at the Sam.
Speaker 2: Today he was back at the Will and also Sam.
Speaker 1: So that was good to see. They opened up the Nickel today. We did not see it at all yesterday. So your first team nickel right out of the gate, freshman Jay Timmons.
Speaker 2: No surprise.
Speaker 3: We talked about him in our one hundred snap show that you know that might be the guy that we see double or triple that one hundred stap club for the freshman right there at that nickel spot. He's a natural. The buzz about him has been just off the charts. And you know, we heard Devin Sam just talk about him yesterday in a way that sound a little bit different than you talk about most freshmen, and it's it certainly seems like that is the case. The guy is the real deal. We're gonna see a whole lot of them this year.
Speaker 2: Well, Earl Little said he was making plays as soon as he walt in. Wow.
Speaker 1: Basically, so I'll have to write about him, I suppose, because yeah, he's just as like I don't know how else we could say all, just go back and watch yesterday show. He's just a football player. He's a ball at and that's basically all you need to know. And I'm trying not to try not to get hung up and saying like remember Antoine Winfield as a true freshman nickelback. I'm not going to do that because that's sacrilegious, but it does pose this interesting question of.
Speaker 2: So when they are.
Speaker 1: With the five defensive backs, who's your starting five? And like right now, Terry Moore and Leroy Roker have been with the twos. The first team of safeties have been Jayala Leclay in the back end, you're a little in the box, and then Jay Timmins or you know, I would I suspect Jermaine Matthews might be that guy as well as that number one nickel. And then we also saw Jermaine Matthews interestingly like open with like the twos and the threes at quarter finished with the ones. I think some of this may be just like snap down one of the other guy's reps. And Jermaine Matthews as a senior doesn't need all of this necessarily the same work that everybody else does. But what are you making of this secondary right now, and I will say dominic Kelly gave up a couple of couple of long passes to Devin McEwan or, who I'm contending will be your husband a favorite. So no shade there, but your thoughts on this secretary so.
Speaker 3: Far, I think it's a great spot to be in because I think the emergence of Dominic Kelly and the emergence of Jay Timmins has given you this scenario where Okay, now we got a couple of odd men out, and I think that most likely to your point about Jermaine, it's more that he's he's kind of locked in there and that he's going to be that guy that plays the majority of those reps across from Devin, but that Dominic Kelly will play there a lot as well. And Jermaine, we know we can play the nickel. But if Jay Timmins is as good as is, you know, we're kind of feeling like he might be. I think he's gonna better than Jermaine, and I think he's gonna play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said yesterday, he's probably Jay Timmens as your starting dime in some fascets. But Leroy Ruff was also the dime last year at times as well, So the options that they have this year, I.
Speaker 2: Kind of just see it right now.
Speaker 1: If I were to make a guess, I would say that Jery Matthews and Sanchez are your starters at quarter like long passing downs, Jamaine Matthews slides inside and and Dominic Kelly comes in. But they're gonna find something for Jane Tempans' that's what That's what you keep hearing behind the scenes and when you see him out there with the ones I'm dating two of practice, what other judgment are you supposed to make?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it doesn't stand out is out of place either. He looks like he knows exactly what he's doing and he moves great. It's it's it's legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to see anything else from not really to hear that anything else from today that just stands out other than shout out to I love the shout out to him.
Speaker 3: It's from the drive by ball punching. This is something we saw emphasized coming into the twenty twenty four season. Early in the spring and then in the preseason they really wanted to focus on punching the ball out. We saw it executed early in the twenty twenty four season Michigan State, and then it kind of died off and we didn't see the effort and it just kind of petered out. I think we're seeing a lot of that this year, trying to force the turnover, punching the ball out working great here in practice. We saw a couple of them today. It seems like something will see them carry into the season. Will it be something that they that they continue to emphasize throughout the season as we saw again we saw peter out in twenty four, but that is something that stood out to me in the first two days. We're seeing a whole lot of that, trying to force the turnover in that way. So we'll see, well and coach just tell you you get what you emphasize. And losing the guys that they did on defense.
Speaker 1: I think focusing on turnovers and keeping this new defense from being out there as long as they have, to me, I think that would help. So one, let's see one last things that I have one last thing that I wanted to throughout that. I'll just say this favorite ALKI looks bigger to me last time I saw him in the spring it's like, boy, you know, he's a little fetter, but now he looks like he's a full.
Speaker 2: Full on running back. But that's it for me. Anything else, that's it.
Speaker 3: Well, one other thing, Kenyatta Jackson said at Pisatani lay as a finesse guy. Now he's got the power to back it up. Also said that bo Atkinson worked his butt off after practice every day to get to what we're seeing now, which is a much better version of bo Atkinson.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we will be back on Sunday or Saturday at the Wady for the practice number three. First, you can find all of our coverage at Buckeye Insiders dot com.
Speaker 2: We'll have more for you.
Speaker 1: I'll write up a practice report. We bounce on your message board as well. That was fantastic times to joining you can't remember follow this season along with us because I think it's gonna be pretty darn good.
Speaker 2: So that will do it from here. Thank you all for tinian and we'll talk to.
Speaker 3: You all later.
Speaker 2: Was it through a way?
Speaker 3: Don't no one tell me I wish you'd never.
Speaker 4: Meant nothing where if you could
Speaker 1: Tell me that's the mots all right, we could steal currently tonight