Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M. Six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Well, Gavin Newsom is not going to be pleased with all of the press. Somebody is getting for a potential run for twenty twenty eight on the Democratic ticket.
Speaker 2: Is where we kick off the swamp watch.
Speaker 3: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 4: Here we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quits.
Speaker 5: So what I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 4: So now you train the.
Speaker 2: Squad, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 5: You know, Murvans have always been going at president, but they're not stupid.
Speaker 6: A political plunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 3: Have the people voted for you? When not?
Speaker 2: Swamp's so serious, it's a fix this face a lot.
Speaker 6: Alright, he's thinking about Gary and Shannon. Who is this are you talking about? Josh Shapiro? No, who are you talking about?
Speaker 1: I'll give you some hints. Okay, He's privately meeting with donors.
Speaker 3: Jbie Pritzker.
Speaker 2: No, he's recording a podcast.
Speaker 3: Kevin Newsom, you already said it's not him.
Speaker 2: He's a former Well, let's just say he.
Speaker 1: Has a proven ability to win in Trump country. He was a two term governor of Kentucky.
Speaker 3: His name not as Andy Basher. Oh he is. That's what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Okay, people are saying that this guy was. He is a two term governor even recognizable. Yeah, last year. Now he is being talked about. Charlie Kirk has said that he is going to be one of the toughest Democrats to beat. He's speaking at the Future Forward Donor summit this weekend in California. One of the feathers in his cap as he continues to court donors, which you have to do at this point. He's been relatively under the national radar as an unapologetic Democrat, and he's got to overcome that obscurity, the lack of name recognition. But they say the challenge is translating what he calls his reasonable and common sense Kentucky story into a national Democratic primary campaign. They say he's got a low key personality. Will that be enough to move the needle on the excitement scale when it comes to Democrats, specifically Democratic donors and primary voters as well, But he's.
Speaker 2: Doing all the work.
Speaker 1: Pete gen Greco is a veteran of several Democratic presidential campaigns. He says he's the kind of guy that's either going to bump along at two percent never catch fire, or he'll catch fire and you'll say, where did this guy come from?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I think one thing about Andy Basher that has.
Speaker 6: That has put him on the national in the national spotlight for bad reasons is Kentucky's been ruined by natural disasters in the last couple of years and he has come out and been as you would expect a governor to be the point man on the recovery efforts. So that I mean, but outside of that, I don't know of anything that has, you know, elevated him to a national scale.
Speaker 2: He's a former attorney general.
Speaker 1: He talks about all God's children and he's believable when he does. So they say he's the exact opposite of Donald Trump. So he's an intriguing dark horse for a reason. Work for Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. But he's one of those rural state Democrats that you give a better I give a better chance to Andy Basher than Gavin Newsom. Gavin Newsom may be popular on the coasts, but in the middle, no, not liked, not at all.
Speaker 3: He doesn't I don't think he realizes that I.
Speaker 1: Have a hard time liking that guy. Politics aside, and I'm going to yoga today. Imagine the guy tending you know, the back forty or whatever you say when you're tending land, and how Gavin Newsom comes across as someone who's not a Californian.
Speaker 6: Right, who's never had to do that right life exactly, all right. So we know that trade negotiations are going to take place between China and the United States.
Speaker 3: They'll take place in Switzerland.
Speaker 6: President Trump today suggested that the US levies on Chinese goods could be lowered down to eighty percent. He posted on truth Social today, eighty percent tariff on China seems right exclamation point, and then wrote up to Scott b referring to Scott Bessens, of course, the Secretary of the Treasury, who will be taking part in those in those discussions in Geneva. The interesting timing of this is that ships that are making their way into the Ports of La and Long Beach are now the first ones to be subject to that massive tariff. So in a few weeks we might start to see some of our regular staples that come in from China at exorbitant prices because of those tariffs. Gene Soroco, we talked about him, he's execut the director of the Port of La Earlier this week he said, we're down thirty five percent compared to the same time last year, and these cargo ships coming in are the first ones to be attached to the tariffs that were levied against China and other locations last month. So the Port of La did expect eighty ships this month, eighty ships in May. About twenty percent of those have canceled, and there have already been at least a dozen canceled sailings for the month of June. Not that they couldn't restart them, but it does take a few weeks to get across the Pacific full of that stuff. So the timing is significant because we are starting to see the first shipments of the very highly tariffed.
Speaker 3: Goods coming into the United States.
Speaker 1: A couple of local stories right now. Mark Geragis is on the microphone outside of the courthouse in Van Eyes talking about what's going on with the legal minutia and the wrangling between him and Nathan Hawkman.
Speaker 3: You want it, Oh, sure.
Speaker 5: We also have the habeas in front of a different judge. I did not want to without a fully developed record because I just got this information Brian will talk about.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Garigis wanted the DA's office to accuse itself from the case.
Speaker 2: He has pulled that motion again.
Speaker 1: It's all weedy legal stuff and now it's just it's it's devolved into a Mark Garrigus Nathan Hawkman dog and pony show outside of that courthouse. The news is nothing happened on the Menanda's Brothers front today.
Speaker 6: There you go, and I think they scheduled another hearing for next week exactly.
Speaker 1: The other big local story is the guy who they were looking for for two weeks, a manhunt that lasted two weeks long, has now been arrested. This is the guy that they like for the murder inside that upscale Valley Village apartment complex. He was taken into custody at a mental hospital. I believe so the victim fifty three old Manny was killed in that apartment complex in Valley Village. But they now have the guy that did it, so people can rest easy there.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: Something we have been preaching but haven't been seeing very much is people willing to look the other way when it comes to whatever political party you have behind your name, if you identify that way. And we'll talk about how Republicans and Democrats in DC can remain friends despite you know, well, there's that.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that microphone wasn't.
Speaker 3: On mine was.
Speaker 6: Gary and Shannon will continue a reminder tonight Dodgers taken on the Diamondbacks in Arizona first pitches at six forty. You can listen to all the Dodgers' games on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth, and stream all the games HD on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Use the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: We have a big announcement coming up at noon. We're giving away some Mother's Day gifts still to come, a couple of them coming up on the show, So keep it right here.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: We've talked about people crossing the isle and being friends. I look no further than Ruth Bader Ginsburg right on the on the Supreme Court with antonin Scalia. You look at James Carvill and his wife. You know, you look at Joe Biden several times when he still had it together and spent forty years reaching across the isle and made front. But the difference is now we are playing so much dirtier, it seems, or at least all the dirtors is out in the open flying around.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: There was an interesting Wall Street Journal article that talks about Republicans and Democrats doing or pulling off the unthinkable, and that is staying friends even in a political environment that is so divided like we've seen in the last fifteen twenty years. Whatever it is, and they refer specifically, there is a bipartisan group of lawmakers that meets every morning in the House gym six thirty in the morning and they do an hour of cardio and waits. They do not talk about politics. It's forbidden. In fact, they say, the biggest point of contention in that hour long gym session first thing in the morning is Congressman Darren Lehood's Pandora subscription because this Republican out of Illinois refuses to upgrade, so he's got the basic level. And there's a bunch of ads that promote funny businesses in Peoria, Illinois that regularly interrupt your gym vibe.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is. That's the way it kind of should be.
Speaker 6: Right now, what I think is surprising to a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I believe this is a guess.
Speaker 6: I believe a lot more people are paying attention to politics now than they did ten years ago. And it's more common for people to follow politics now than they did ten years ago, for no other reason than for social media.
Speaker 3: Right, But if you look at the.
Speaker 6: The sniping, angry tone that you hear in some of the committee hearings, for example, that every politician knows is going to be televised and they want to get their viral moment out there. Just think of Marjorie Taylor Green and Jasmine Crockett going after each other's looks.
Speaker 3: That type of thing is on display in DC.
Speaker 6: But that a lot of people would be surprised at how friendly and cordial and respectful the lawmakers are when there is no camera around, when there is no microphone in front of their faces. Obviously, antagonism has grown between Republicans and Democrats, and one of the reasons that this article points out is jerrymandering, you know, the sort of artificial reconfiguring the borders of congressional districts, because it has shrunk the number of those competitive elections. And if you reward or if you cater to your party's base, there's a like more stronger, more stronger, a stronger likely or that you're going to be elected. I mean, Marjorie Taylor Green is one of the examples of a very very conservative, right wing person out of Georgia who in days past might not have gotten elected simply because she wouldn't have been moderate enough she would have to appeal to some of the Democrats. So they also said that fundraising tactics have diminished the power of the party leaders, so that those loudest lawmakers think AOC are the ones that are going to raise the most money. And I mean, anything that's happened in the last ten years politically has only ratcheted up those tensions. And the guy like they use the example of John Fetterman out of Pennsylvania. Have you noticed the number of articles about John Fetterman and that are questioning his mental capacity to do work now as a senator. There's a dozen of them out there within the last week, and he has fought back against those and just said, hey, listen, it's like goodfellas. Everybody's got to take a whacken now and then. And he's an outspoken guy who has said that he fully understands and supports some Trump policies. Not that he's ever going to change his party affiliation to Republican, but he's a guy who otherwise probably wouldn't be re elected in the state of Pennsylvania just based on the way it leans. So at the orientation for new senators a few years ago, Alabama Republican Katie Britt made friends with a couple of Democrats. Fetterman was one of them, Peter Welch of Vermont was the other one, And Welch then invited the two again fresh co freshman senators over for dinner one night, and he served salmon with arugula giant blueberries, and Katie Britt said, wait a minute, that's next level. Why are you treating me so nicely that this Republican out of Alabama is surprised that this democrat out of Vermont is finding common ground in Hey, we're in this together. We're both freshmen and the Senate. We got to kind of watch each other's backs and help each other out, even though we may be going down the statee different paths when it comes to politically speaking. But they've kept up this tradition of dinner that they regularly get together and have enjoyed each other's company and the spouses and all of that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Fetterman's wife is around. She seems to be a.
Speaker 1: A group of guys built a secret apartment in a mall, and now this secret apartment is making headlines and it is getting its own television treatment and will tell you a story when we come back. Also coming up in the show, we have a big announcement to make at noon. We're giving away a couple of Mother's Day gifts. If you've been slow to the uptake on what to get mom, we can help you out in that department. Or if you are a mom, now for you out to get it for yourself.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Happy Friday, guys, I hope you can hear me. I'm outside getting my house painted today, and I wanted to check on the painters and shot out here, I'm having the house painted kind of pale yellow, and hey, that's white.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 3: See what he did?
Speaker 2: I see what he is? That's white.
Speaker 1: Bro. Well, I wanted to make it clear that that was white smoke and that we indeed had a pope. And listen, we all have regrets in life.
Speaker 6: You don't regret that regret that you said it twice because you said it differently.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: That's white. Yeah, that's white, bro.
Speaker 2: Bro, that's white. Oh my god, that's white.
Speaker 4: Bro. You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say it's always been a dream of mine, but I've always had this weird image of what happens in stores after they close. When I was a kid, I've told the story before. We used to go to Mervin's to do our back to school shopping. Not to brag, but we lived pretty high on the hog at the Murmur and I would remember open. I remember climbing into those clothes racks, you know, the big circular rack got five hundred shirts on it, and you climb into the middle of it, and it was quiet in there, and no one could see you in there.
Speaker 3: And I bet you if I stayed in there.
Speaker 6: For hours forgotten you, it would close the store and I would have the run of the place by myself.
Speaker 1: Everybody had that sort of fantasy. In the eighties, there were a number of films about people hanging out in malls after they were closed. Mannequin Mannequin maybe the most popular, and Manniquin two Electric Boogaloo. Sure well. There was a group of artists using air quotes here who in two thousand and three were kind of priced out of their community in Providence, Rhode Island. They were living in an artist commune that had been gentrified, and so they had nowhere to go. They didn't have a lot of money, and they found this like space, this crawl space, essentially inside the nearby Providence placemall.
Speaker 2: I have been to this mall anyway.
Speaker 1: It was a seven hundred and fifty square foot space hidden inside. They would sneak in through a parking garage stairwell. There's also a way to get it in through a bunch of emergency exits. Anyway, they managed to bring in furniture, a TV gaming console. Again, this is two thousand and three, they tap into the mall's electricity. They construct their own cinder block walls with a lockable door.
Speaker 6: This whole thing, we had eight different people, artists specifically, so make your own judgment with that word. Eight artists live there for weeks at a time until the year two thousand and seven when Michael Townsend was caught by a trio of security guards.
Speaker 1: Them being again artists with finger air quotes here. They were approached by several people who found out about this are authors, filmmakers, TV creators. People wanted to adapt this into a story, and because they're artists, they said, nobody seemed like the right person for the job. Could you imagine that you're like a broke artist living in a room in a mall and people are approaching you to tell your story and how you guys were able to do this for four years, and you're like, h, you don't seem like the right guy to put our story on the television.
Speaker 6: That's something an artist, of course, it is a finger quotes, Yes, artists. So they did find a guy who is also a documentary filmmaker who wanted to do this, and he convinced them to go with him because he wanted to highlight the act of resistance. He referred to it that underlied the whole stunt in the first place, which was to build and maintain Actually this secret apartment inside this mall. The filmmaker, they said, was somebody who seems to be fascinated by eccentric or obsessive people and uses his films to make them accessible.
Speaker 3: So the.
Speaker 6: Documentary Secret Mall Apartment relies on old footage and a bunch of new interviews to talk about the Okay, now buckle in, because this is where it starts to lose touch with reality. It relies on old footage and new interviews to probe the impact of rampant capitalism.
Speaker 3: On individual people.
Speaker 2: Nobody's asking you for that message.
Speaker 1: Well, all we want to hear about is a few dudes living in a crawl space.
Speaker 6: The filmmaker a guy named Jeremy Workman. He says, documentaries are good at capturing the strata of time. We went through this cycle where malls were really important for our communities, and now we're in this dead mall period. Like, wait, is it better that malls don't exist now that that in and of itself, yes, that might be something that's worth a discussion. We all know places that we either grew up around, you know, malls that were brand new when we were kids, that have now just completely been mothballed, some that have been torn down, some that do not look anything like they did even ten years ago. And that is a legitimate discussion, That is a legitimate question of where are we on this on the timeline of what a mall is and can be for a community. But a lot of this, you know, these people talk about the passion and for malls, has waned in recent years. A lot of people, including some of some of Townsend's friends, distanced themselves from the whole thing. They didn't want to be the guy known as the guy who lived in the mall. So a bunch of Michael Townsend's friends just said, hey, you're on your own finger quotes. Artists, do your own finger quotes art on your own time. We don't want to have anything to do with it. All eight of the people that did live in that secret mall apartment appear in the documentary. Some of them are a little bit more prominent than others. They appear in hours of footage that were captured, not just during their mall days on the old Pentax cameras. It's funny because the way that it's the way Michael Townsend says, all of that old footage, the old stuff was never really meant to be seen by anyone. They never had an intention of putting this together as a documentary. And he said, there was some very pure about what we were doing at the time. It could be dumb, it could be profound, whatever you think of it, but it's pure because they were just doing it for the sake of doing it, to live in this secret apartment even.
Speaker 3: Though they didn't have to.
Speaker 6: So again, this secret mall apartment is this new documentary that's out there for these people who lived in a fake, made up corner of a mall for the.
Speaker 3: Course of about four years before they got caught.
Speaker 1: There is a new lawn in Virginia actually that restricts social media usage for kids.
Speaker 2: Bless their hearts. How do you put the.
Speaker 1: Toothpaste back into the tube? How would you enforce this? How would you have parents enforce this? It seems kind of silly, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: That's like me being pissed that so Viet spacecraft isn't crashing into us.
Speaker 3: Stupid Africa. They get everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, we will next hour, of course, get into what's going on, what's happening. We have a big announcement that's coming up. We have some things we're going to be giving away, including a couple of Burke Williams gift cards for Mother's Day.
Speaker 3: If you're a mom, or you want to pretend you're a mom, how do listen?
Speaker 6: It's up to you, however you want to do it and get a Burke Williams gift card. Will tell you how you can win that. Coming up tonight, the Dodgers is going to take on the Diamondbacks in Arizona.
Speaker 3: First pitch is going to be at six point forty.
Speaker 6: Listen to all the Dodgers games on A five seven E LA Sports and stream all the Dodgers games NHD on that iHeartRadio app. Use the keyword AM five seven e LA Sports, and don't forget to pick up some Zenshi handcrafted sushi made fresh daily. It's at the Ralphs right near the deli counter, you know, back there and all the less.
Speaker 1: I love the Ralps. Everyone's so friendly at the Ralves, aren't they my Ralphs, Great Ralphs.
Speaker 6: It's funny if you live in a place where you have a choice between the Ralphs and a Vaughan's. It's like Ford and Chevy.
Speaker 2: I go through phases. Do you really like a nail slon?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, yeah, right? But uh yeah, I mean but I love I.
Speaker 1: If I don't want to have any polite conversation with anyone, will go to the Vaughns because the Vonds people aren't as chatty there. Really, Ralph's everyone's real polite and chatty and friendly.
Speaker 6: Mine is completely opposite, really opposite.
Speaker 1: Wow, maybe the people at my Ralphs get off work at my Ralphs and they go work at your Vaughn's.
Speaker 3: Surely, I'm sure they do.
Speaker 6: Parents in Virginia are going to have a backstop when it comes to limiting their kids social media usage. A new law signed in by Governor Glenn Youngkin in Virginia will restrict kids under sixteen to one hour of social media per day. This article out of WSLS in Virginia talks to one parent, Ashley Mullins two young kids already trying to figure out how to manage screen time, and she says, it makes sense. I think these kids are on their phones way too much. They like to be on their tablets and watch TV. I notice a difference when I limit that, right.
Speaker 2: When you limit that as the parent.
Speaker 1: I don't like the government telling me what to do with my children.
Speaker 2: I really don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like them stepping in and saying I parent better than you do parent. I know your kids better than you do.
Speaker 2: I hate that.
Speaker 1: I hate that for parents when other parents tell parents how to parent. That drives me crazy too. And yeah, I don't have kids. I can't imagine how i'd feel if I did. But do you feel that way of like, hey, yeah, I get what you're saying, but I'm the parent.
Speaker 2: I call the shots in my house.
Speaker 6: Well, it's it doesn't impose the law on the parents. In this case, this law would impose restrictions on the social media company.
Speaker 3: What it does is.
Speaker 6: It requires a social media platform to implement what they say are commercially commercially reasonable methods to verify.
Speaker 1: What if you you have a kid who is a different kid and is only learning or interacting with people through screens or whatever. You know what I mean, Like, there's just different You could get to make the rules under your own roof, is what I'm saying, And that's the way it should be.
Speaker 6: Well, if you are somebody like Ashley Mullens who has thought about how am I going to help?
Speaker 3: How am I going to limit my.
Speaker 6: Kid's access to social media? This makes it where they register for a social media account and then that social media company has to make sure that that kid can only be on that account for one hour a day. Listen, I don't know how they're going to do that. That's what people write code for and they make a whole lot more money than we do. But they would say that if you have one of those specialized situations, there's a work around.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: It feels like it's almost the Hey, we know that not everybody's going to be down with this, and we're making it easy enough for you to get around the law if you want to do it that way. But if you're a parent who has struggled with this and you don't know how to do it, this is one of the things that you can use in your tool bag to try to restrict your kid's use of social media and phones in general, phones, tablets, whatever it is. The executive director for Partnership for Community Wellness talks about the need for proactive parenting. Nancy says, you wouldn't hand the keys to the car at age six and say go off and do what you want. This is a digital highway without any seat belts, and we have to be intentional. Other people have said that this reduces their exposure to potential predators and other dangers.
Speaker 3: That we see online.
Speaker 6: So it's fine, it's fine to me in that this is not You're not going to get parents in trouble for doing something.
Speaker 3: This is. This puts the onus on social media to.
Speaker 6: Rein in the amount of hours a day that a kid could use. But it's really easy to get around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what is the state of Virginia.
Speaker 1: What is their jurisdiction over social media companies?
Speaker 6: We'll see, I mean maybe this is maybe this gets challenged in court and it goes by the way.
Speaker 1: Still to me has an air of I'm going to tell you how to parent, and I'm going to tell you what your kids should be doing. You know better about what your kids should be doing as their parent than anybody else, certainly in the state house.
Speaker 3: What do you support taking phones out of schools?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's not under my roof. That's where they should be learning.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a good I like the difference. Yeah, I mean it makes sense.
Speaker 6: Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 5: This is Jim from BLI.
Speaker 6: Hey, Gary, I think you got the Mannequin two mixed up with break In two Electric Google is.
Speaker 5: I just want to give your heads up on that.
Speaker 1: Have a great thanks to make sure you get that worked out there and that noggin.
Speaker 2: Eric's out there. It's Eric's birthday, birthday music. I'm not a singer, you're the singer. I can't say Musico will run into a wall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Now get out of here.
Speaker 3: We don't get out of it.
Speaker 2: Come back, Come back, Eric, come back. How old are you? That's right?
Speaker 1: I keep wanting to say you're twenty nine because I just can't bring myself to realize that you turned thirty last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How does that feel?
Speaker 3: My back hurts? Yeah? No, hell, my knees hurt yep.
Speaker 2: Men in their thirties, man, that's a rough patch.
Speaker 3: Should just give up now.
Speaker 2: But the good news is when you're forty five bingo.
Speaker 3: Oh really, that's what I got to look forward to.
Speaker 2: I'm going to hate your men age pretty darn well. I think Harry.
Speaker 6: Look at him, he looks like the same that he did when he was twenty one.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, not twenty He didn't have a beard when you were twenty one. I know I did, Did you really? I did?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I think you look a solid twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I have?
Speaker 3: I don't have a birthday.
Speaker 2: Are you going to get married and make some kids?
Speaker 3: Well, like I said, find me a nice Jewish girl and we can get to get started on that.
Speaker 2: Have you sing your mom this weekend?
Speaker 1: I am she can have the same conversation with you. No, no, okay, she's cool. Then she's unlike me.
Speaker 3: Well, no, you're cool.
Speaker 2: I just want to get a baby around here.
Speaker 3: It would just be a little more of it. I don't think you want a baby from me around here. I do know it's wrong. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Don't sell yourself short. You're gonna make great babies.
Speaker 3: Weird ones out there. You have to misshaped heads on those look.
Speaker 2: Okay, we don't need to know everything.
Speaker 6: I just want to know why he feels inadequate when it comes to we come back.
Speaker 3: You're doing I think you're doing great, Eric, Thank you.
Speaker 2: The thing.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 6: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap