Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: How goes it, mister Warlock winter?
Speaker 4: Please, I've got my magic power working just fire.
Speaker 2: I can cast up a big freeze, Yes, sir, I think I can guarantee a white Christmas wonderful.
Speaker 4: Then let's be off.
Speaker 5: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: You bet watch child, you bet or not? From you bet or not?
Speaker 6: I tended to block twenty two Santa Clauses coming to the time.
Speaker 1: Guess it's my favorite of all of the banking.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 1: Rankin bass, rankin bass, Yeah, it's I just love Santa Claus is coming to town. Well, five sleeps till Christmas. This is your wake up call for Friday, December twentieth.
Speaker 5: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, and we are glad that you are.
Speaker 5: Here with us.
Speaker 1: You can have a lot of fun today and fill you in on what's been going on since you fell asleep. So let's get right to it. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. President Elect Trump has announced success after lawmakers came up with a new bill to fund the government, but the House failed to pass the bill, with one hundred and seventy four voting four and two hundred and thirty five voting against the bill that would have kept the government funded through March and lift the debt ceiling for two years. We're going to find out from Karen Travers what's next and what happens if a bill doesn't pass by midnight.
Speaker 5: That's coming up at five twenty.
Speaker 1: US Immigration and Customs Enforcement says it has deported more than two hundred seventy thousand people to one hundred and ninety two countries over a recent twelvemonth period. That's the most deportations in a decade and nearly double the number from the previous year. Workers at four Amazon warehouses in southern California are on strike for a second day, with just five days left before Christmas. The workers say Amazon is refusing to recognize their union and negotiate contracts. Workers at warehouses in Palmdale, San Bernardino Industry, and Victorville joined striking workers in several other states and walking off the job yesterday. ABC's Will gans Is talking move Fassa. Just in time for Christmas, a new Diehard style movie hits the stream. Ooh, and then of course that brings up the big question, is Diehard a Christmas movie? Will Cole Schreiver says no, Okay, what does kno say?
Speaker 5: He's one thousand percent Christmas movie?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Our house whisper Dean Sharp is going to help us get a jumpstart on how you can spruce up your house and get organized in the new year.
Speaker 5: At six oh five, it's handle on the news.
Speaker 1: Luigi at Mangioni is back in New York and found out yesterday he could get the death penalty.
Speaker 5: I Cono, we still hear you. He just start totally gave me the stink eye. And you know what, Cono came He look at this.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can't see it, but if you step up to your radio, he gave me a bottle of Coono wine. And it's not even one of those personalized labor labels. It's actually Cono Wine of New Zealand. Asauvion Blanc can't wait to dip into it. Thank you, Cono. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. Republican leaders in Washington are trying to come up with a new plan to avoid a government shutdown, as lawmakers have voted down a second plan to extend funding. Dozens of Republicans joined Democrats last night in voting down the revised funding build that included a two year suspension of the debt limit that was demanded by President elect Trump.
Speaker 6: Very disappointing to us that all but two Democrats voted against aid to farmers and ranchers, against DIZA to relief, against all these bipartisan measures that had already been negotiated and decided upon.
Speaker 1: How Speaker Mike Johnson told reporters the only difference in the legislation was that they would push the debt ceiling to January of twenty twenty seven. He says Republicans will now regroup and come up with another solution. Senate Leader Chuck Schumer says Democrats will not be negotiating. He says it's time to go back to the original bipartisan agreement. LA City leaders have announced more help for drug users and homeless people in MacArthur Park.
Speaker 3: The plan is to dispatch a variety of different teams to address the needs of the park, which is crowded with drug users and homeless people. La City Councilman Unsses Hernandez says the city, county, and state have come together to provide more services.
Speaker 7: I believe deeply that government works best when a response to the needs of community. We cannot solve the problems that faces by operating in silos.
Speaker 3: The plan includes mobile overdose response teams equipped with overdose reversal kits. It also has community clean teams, peace and ambassadors, and a field medicine program.
Speaker 5: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man from Van Nuys has been arrested in connection with a series of arson fires in Sherman Oaks back in October. LAPD says Ricardo vi in Aeva is not believed to be involved in the series of fires in that same area. This week, the Nueva was detained during an unrelated traffic stop. He's been booked on suspicion of arson. Starbucks baristas in La Chicago and Seattle are going on strike because they say the company backtracked over future organizing and collective bargaining at the coffee giant. Barista in bargaining delegate Michelle Eisen says the company didn't hold up its end of an agreement with the viable economic proposals by the end of the year.
Speaker 8: Promised this economic package contained no wage increase for the first year of the agreement.
Speaker 9: Is that's just not an acceptable offer, It's an insulting offer.
Speaker 1: Frankly, the strike is set to run five days and cities said to be three of the company's priority markets. It's five oh seven on your Friday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. So, John, I think we've all known, at least those of us who were watching knew that President Biden was not operating at one hundred percent. But now we're hearing that the people closest to him knew it and hit it.
Speaker 10: You know, this is a story I have to tell you that could have been written by the Wall Street Journal, which came out with this story just yesterday, And it could have been written by them twelve months ago. Amy it could have been written by them twenty months ago, in the sense that there was enough information to come out with the story episodes showing that President Biden was declining in terms of his physical abilities. You noticed this the slow way that he walks, the way he shlfles his feet, but also episodes of what appears to be declining cognitive abilities as well. And so it shouldn't really come to anybody's surprise the story that came out yesterday in the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 5: So why did they wait?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know the answer to that. You know, I cover the White House. I'm there every day. I see the President every day, interact with him on days that he interacts with the press, And you know, I'm very honest. When people ask me how President Biden is doing, I give them my honest answer, and I tell them about various episodes that I've seen in my time covering him in the White House for the past four years. And there are episodes that, quite frankly, are concerning that I've seen over the course of the past four years. Now he only has thirty eight days or so left in the White House before handing the keys essentially over to Donald Trump. But you know, I think that it really became quite apparent to most Americans if they watched that presidential debate back on June the twenty seventh between Donald Trump and Joe Biden, the one hosted by CNN in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that it's interesting that so many people just said that, oh my gosh, look what happened. And like I said, I've seen it for at least a year, two years or more, and it's not part of it was I mean, he's is he eighty one now.
Speaker 10: He's eighty two years old. He turned eighty two a few weeks.
Speaker 1: Ago, Okay, And it's normal to see cognitive decline. I mean I saw my dad go through it, and it was it's heartbreaking. Sometimes he's fine, sometimes he's not, but something's going on. And that nobody would talk about the elephant of the room until it was front and center at that debate. It's like all of a sudden, everybody went, oh, something's wrong, And I was like, you guys, have we've been seeing it for forever.
Speaker 10: Well, that's exactly right, you know. And you could put blame on various people, you know, the people that work at the White House that protect the president, people like the White House Chief of Staff, who most people don't even know his name, you know, because he's so invisible at the White House. You could even throw some blame on the first lady as well, who has gone out of her way to protect your husband, you know, as any wife would do for their husband. But you know, I think that these are troubling things when we're talking about not just any husband, not just any person you know who shows up to work. We're talking about the president of the United States, I.
Speaker 1: Know, and it's I mean, honestly, John, at least from my perspective, it's very sad. It's very scary too, because you wonder who really is running the country.
Speaker 10: Well, he has a good national security team, you know, and those folks obviously give advice to the president, and you know, the president the other day, just last Tuesday, he took a question from me as he was departing the White House to board Marine one. When I asked him about the drones that have been appearing with great frequency over New Jersey other states in the Northeast. He responded to that question, gave an answer. But you know, to me, the media appearances that he's had are few and far between, certainly fewer than what I experienced in covering Donald Trump, or in covering Barack Obama or George W. Bush or Bill Clinton, all presidents that I've covered, and you know, I think that there comes a point where you have to ask, why is that happening? You know, because when he was in the US Senate, you couldn't get Joe Biden away from a television camera. He wanted to speak to the press as often as he possibly could. You know, it was often said, the most dangerous place in Washington is the space between Joe Biden and a television camera. You know, So that that is something that we do not see and have not seen over the course of the past four years while he's been President of the United States.
Speaker 5: Okay, and you can read more about this, John. It was in the Wall Street.
Speaker 10: Journal yesterday, it was, Yeah, so you could read it online for sure, you know. But again I could tell you incidents or episodes to amy that don't make get into the Wall Street Journal story that should have been there. And these go back twenty months. So that's the reason why I say this story that the Wall Street Journal put out just yesterday could have been written by those reporters quite some time ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you you were there, so you saw it, and I know you have to go, but maybe let's talk again. I would love to hear more about some of the things that you've.
Speaker 10: Exact absolutely and I sure a great day. Talk to bye bye.
Speaker 1: Kfis White House correspondent John Decker. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. La County Sheriff's deputies in Lancaster trying to find a missing teen mom and her one year old daughter. The seventeen year old was last scene with the baby in Palmdale yesterday. The young mom is Hispanic, five foot five, one hundred and fifteen pounds, with straight brown hair and brown eyes. She was wearing a green sweatshirt, tan jacket and black pants. The baby has brown hair, brown eyes, and a scar on her right pinky finger. She was wearing a hot pink puffer jacket. A woman's been arrested for allegedly starting a fire outside of Jim and the Eagle Rock Say.
Speaker 7: The alleged arsonist was originally named as a person of interest in a fire that happened just outside Lako Boxing Club on Eagle Rock Boulevard on December fifteenth. Los Angeles Fire got there just before five in the morning to put out the fire. Security images show a woman appearing to set the fire on purpose before she walked away. On Thursday, the LAPD arrested Marvella Solomon in connection to that fire outside the boxing club. Police say they recognized Solomon from a previous wanted flyer Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: Five years after murder hornets were discovered in Washington, state wildlife officials have declared them eradicated. ABC's Sherry Preston reports it was a team effort of wildlife officials at several levels of government. They're crediting the collaborative effort of state, federal, and international government agencies for finding and eliminating the hornets as a major reason for success. The great Northern Ordnate hornet hasn't been seen for three years. Washington and US wildlife officials have said that without a confirmed detection, they believe the pests have been eradicated. Remember when we first started hearing about them, I think it was during the pandemic, and we're like, oh God, first the pandemic and now murder hornets. Okay, Lots going on around Los Angeles and surrounding areas as we head into the holidays, and our very own wil Cole Schreiber has his eyes on what's going on. So we're going to go to Will's weekend warm up. Will what you got going for the weekend that people might want to check out?
Speaker 2: Well, if you got family in town, maybe it's Christmas, you're feeling Christmasy and you want to get out and about.
Speaker 5: You know what, you better be feeling Christmas in my night.
Speaker 2: Home alone in concert at Walt Disney Concert Hall and the orchestra playing that John Williams music along with the movie.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of cool.
Speaker 5: I love John Willy.
Speaker 2: There's the Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade all weekend at night.
Speaker 5: Of course, have you gone to see that?
Speaker 4: I have never seen that, and the pictures look amazing.
Speaker 5: It's really spectacular. It's worth checking out.
Speaker 2: And of course the Festival of Lights and Riverside at the Mission Inn. That is amazing, just thousands and thousands of lights. And if you feel driving up into the hills, pretend you're in the North Pole. Santa's Village is up on Highway eighteen. So there's a lot of Christmasy stuff to do, plus skating rinks everywhere if you want to go break a limb, I mean, skate on some ice yea, yeah, you have many options downtown Santa Monica, Universal City, all over the place.
Speaker 5: Okay, and they rent skates. You don't have to have a I know. Okay.
Speaker 1: So those are just a few things that you can check out over the weekend. Thank you, will, Cole Schreiber. The California Public Utilities Commission has decided to keep the controversial Aliso Canyon natural gas storage facility.
Speaker 5: Open.
Speaker 1: In their decision yesterday, the commission said it's a reliable source of energy energy and needs to stay open to keep energy costs down. The Temechila Valley School Board has rescinded two policies after getting pressure from the state. One would require schools to tell parents if their child identifies as transgender. The other would ban all flags except the American and the California state flag. The board says it's going to rework the policies and they'll be back. Before you deck out your car with Christmas lights, the CHP is reminding drivers that multi colored holiday lights on cars us against the law. The h pieces drivers lights can our holiday lights rather can look like emergency vehicle lights and can confuse other drivers at six so five is handle on the news you know, you can't just eat one, and for some you shouldn't eat any at all. Free Too Lay is recalling some of its lazed potato chips. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, a new bill was put up after the first one was torpedoed, and it was torpedoed two.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it failed. The Plan B that was put forward yesterday by.
Speaker 8: House Speaker Mike Johnson failed and it was because thirty eight Republicans voted against it. And that's a significant number of Republicans to vote against something that Donald Trump is calling for explicitly, and that's raising the limit on how much the government can borrow the debt ceiling. The bill yesterday would have funded the government through March, provided one hundred and ten billion dollars in disaster aid, but also raise the debt limit, suspended it for two years. Trump said it was a success, he was thrilled with that deal yesterday, but thirty eight Republicans went and decided him and voted against it.
Speaker 9: So now we are back at square one. It's unclear if there is a planned c There are some rumblings in the last couple of seconds, literally seconds from my colleagues up on Capitol Hill that there could be plans c coming up in the next few hours, but we don't know what it includes. How Speaker Mike Johnson had said earlier today that there would be votes this morning. We've got a plan.
Speaker 8: He was asked if there was a new agreement, and he would only say, we'll see. So it's just again not clear what they're going to try to put together that could get either Democrats back on board, that could make those thirty.
Speaker 9: Eight Republicans happy and still not safe.
Speaker 8: Thand the wrath of Donald Trump, who's loobbing things on social media about what he doesn't like about what they're considering.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So like, for example, if they said, Okay, we'll do this more bare bones continuing resolution but not extend the debt limit, then they might get it through Congress.
Speaker 5: But that doesn't But then you've got.
Speaker 8: Trump is not happy, yes, because he has demanded that in this eleventh hour demand. I mean, that was not part of the negotiations. That was a significant purple that he threw out there on Wednesday, that really through Republican leadership for a loop like that was not part of the conversation, and you know, interestingly, like it's really it's Republicans who have traditionally supported keeping a debt limit in place to keep a check on federal spending. It's Democrats who have called for getting rid of it so that you could have flexibility.
Speaker 10: Here.
Speaker 9: Interesting now how this is kind of changing.
Speaker 8: Trump politically just doesn't want to have to deal with it next year because that's when they would come up against the borrowing cap. He doesn't want to deal with it because it's a politically thorny issue, as you see with thirty eight Republicans voting against it last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this second bill that was defeated, it was like one hundred and something pages. The first one was like fifteen hundred pages.
Speaker 9: Just to kee.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so wouldn't even read too much in that. Like I mean, yesterday's bill did fund the government for the same amount of time.
Speaker 9: It also did have the disaster Aid too. That's an important part of this too. Like they could just pass a bill that just funds the government at the current level through March, just like kick the.
Speaker 8: Can do the basic minimum that they have to do to keep the lights on. But the disaster Aid is very important to so many lawmakers right now. That one hundred billion dollars that the White House requested. This is the last bill that is going to pass Congress this year. If that Disaster Aid doesn't get in there, it's not going out, and it's not clear it would ever go out. So they want it in there. And it's a red.
Speaker 9: State priority, it's a blue state priority.
Speaker 8: There's bipartisan overwhelming support for getting that out the door.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll be watching and see if they can come up with something, because the countdown is on.
Speaker 5: We got about eighteen hours ago.
Speaker 10: We'll see, all right.
Speaker 5: Karen Javers, thank.
Speaker 9: You, thanking for you. We got less out here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, Karen Travers, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be off next week so I won't be talking to you, so have a merry Christmas too.
Speaker 9: Oh you're costing to talk again. The government is open, that's all.
Speaker 5: Right, perfect, take care, we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Thanks, bye bye.
Speaker 1: Metro says ridership in November hit a milestone with nearly twenty six million boardings on its buses and rail length lines. The transit agency says it was the twenty fourth consecutive month of year over year ridership growth. Metro says November's combined bus and rail ridership figures reached nearly eighty eight percent of its pre pandemic levels in twenty nineteen. The agency site's weekend and leisure trips is some of the main reasons for the continued growth in ridership. A man who managed a local city council campaign is accused of being an illegal Chinese agent.
Speaker 3: The campaign, run by Mike's Sun, was successful in twenty twenty two, and he and the city council member have traveled to China together since then. According to federal investigators. Neither the city nor the council member have been identified in court records. Investigators accused Son of trying to advance policies favorable to China as directed by the Chinese government. If convicted, Son could face up to fifteen years in prison. Michael Monks KFI News, a.
Speaker 1: Former neighbor of the man in Carlsbad who communicated with the Wisconsin school shooter, says he was creepy. The woman told TMC Alexander Poffendorff made her uncomfortable during the five years that they were neighbors. The FBI says Poffendorff told them he was planning an attack on a government building. A judge has ordered him to surrender his guns. A new billboard campaign is warning illegal immigrants not to cross the US Mexico border into Texas. Governor Greg Abbott says it's a new strategy to help secure the border.
Speaker 11: One says stop, if you cross the border illegally into Texas, you will be jailed. Another warns, don't come to Texas illegally, you will be arrested.
Speaker 1: The billboards inform illegal immigrants of what the governor calls the reality of what will happen to them if they try to enter Texas illegally. The billboards are posted in multiple languages, including Spanish, Chinese, and even Russian.
Speaker 5: The La Zoo is.
Speaker 1: Celebrating its first ever hatching of a parantine lizard. The La Zoo is one of only three in the US to successfully breed the species, which is one of the largest lizards on earth, behind the Komodo dragon. Zoo officials say the baby lizards are thriving, but they're not yet ready to be shown to the public. The Christmas rush at the airport is underway. The TSA says it expects even more people will travel through airports over Christmas than the record numbers that flew over the Thanksgiving holiday. The holiday travel crush comes as a freezing storm bears down on the eastern US. Safeco plans to stop offering new insurance policies for rental and condo customers starting January first. Existing customers can keep their current policies until twenty twenty six. Safeco is a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual, which is California's fourth largest home insurer. Vice President Harris has canceled her plans to come to LA She was supposed to fly in late last night, but her office announced yesterday that she's staying in DC instead. The office didn't say why or whether it was related to the possible government shutdown if flawmakers can't get that bill pass to fund the government by midnight. At six oh five, it's handled on the news. The US has deported more illegal immigrants in the last year than it has in the past decade. Bill's going to weigh in on that. At five point fifty, ABC's willgans on what's in theaters and a new die Hard style movie come into the stream.
Speaker 5: Interested to hear about that one.
Speaker 1: Right now, let's say good morning to the host of Home on KFI. It's our house, whispered Dean Sharp, Good morning.
Speaker 4: Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I.
Speaker 1: Want to get started by looking forward a little bit, because it's almost time for New Year's resolutions, which people invariably break, and.
Speaker 5: I know that.
Speaker 1: Last year, my one of my resolutions was to really purge because my house is just getting too full. And I finally actually cleaned out the closet last weekend. So it took me a little bit to get to it, but it got me thinking about closets. And you know when I have a friend who did a total closet remodel and it's it's like more beautiful than anything I've seen. It looks like a palace. It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: So I was starting to think about that, like as as you're looking to do projects for the new year, maybe starting small and starting in that closet, because you could go from palace all the way down to you know, a nice little bungalow.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, man, this is really a sticky subject. Okay really, because because I'll tell you this, I'm just going to be one hundred percent honest with everybody. Your storage problem in your home is you. You are you, You're your storage problem. It's true. It's so true. Now. I you know, there are a handful of homes out there that you walk through and think, Wow, it hardly has any storage whatsoever. I get that. I get that, I totally get that. I feel for you. But by and large, for most of us, we all have way too much stuff, and our organization issues are not with the physical space. Our organization issues are in our own head, with just the way we see things, the way we view things. Here's a perfect example. One of the things that I start by telling somebody who really needs to revamp their their closet organization or their their storage is to see their closet differently. And so I'll tell my clients Listen, if you can bring yourself to understanding this about your closet, it will change your life, I promise you. Okay, and it's this. A closet inside your home is not a long term storage area. It is a staging area for often used items. Okay, and people like waituh, And basically that means doing the time test on your clothes exactly. So that's the that's the point. That's the point. That's what I mean when when it's just when it's in our heads. So you know, and there are various ways to do that. Some people go off and buy little tags and hang them on their hangers. Some people do as simple as you know, you hang up clothes backwards, you know, facing opposite direction in the closet, and you wait six months and you see whether or not you have touched those clothes or not. And if you haven't over the course of six months, or if you want to be generous a year, all through all four seasons, then you know what, it's time to really consider the fact that you're not wearing that thing anymore and it's taken up space. So there are gorgeous, gorgeous closet companies out there that do amazing you know, California Closets is one of my favorites here in southern California. They just do amazing work. They can take a closet and just make it just sparkling. But the reason I go on about this is, you know, we've put in some amazing closets. I've put in one hundred thousand dollars closet unit before into you know, in a state and a state level closet. And still I come back three months later and the pack rat of a client that that ordered the closet, it is just overflowing and messy and you can't even see the beauty. I know, I'm not saying hoarding, I'm just saying kind of pack ratting. So the point is that we really got to get our heads around the idea that we've got too much stuff that we don't need as many clothes as most of us have. And purging is a is kind of a daily or weekly process for most successfully organized people because I like to say, you know, you go out in the world and things just cling to you. I mean, if you just live your life in the twenty first century, you come home and stuff new stuff is just attached to you somehow,