Speaker 1: Hey, Ty, You've got me for about twenty minutes before I bail, and then you've got to do the rest of the podcast with a random host you've never heard about and don't give a shit about. Oh uh, are they cool? Bill? Maybe? But their name will rhyme with mine, so at least that will make things easier. You've got fun Factor. To all gamers reviewing old video game magazine reviews. I'm Ty Shelter, He's Aiden Moher, and we're two professional writers who grew up loving the video games and video game magazines of the nineteen eighties, nineteen nineties, and two thousands. Every episode we take a critical look back on the games media that, for better and for worse, inspired us to do what we do. First, go to funfactor pod dot com and follow the show on your podcatcher of choice. Leave us a rating review on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you get your media. We'll read the best, kindest, funniest, and most insightful ones on the air in our letters section. Please consider becoming a member of fun Factor Ultra, our premium tiers that unlock ad free episodes, bonus episodes, and the members only channels of our discord You also get the chance to join us live for recording sessions like this one. We have several members in the chat right now. If you want to be part of it, just go to Funfactor pod dot com. I promise you cannot miss the sign up with it on our homepage. Then help us spread the word. Shout us out on blue Sky at funfactor pod dot com and everywhere else at fun Factor Pod. Okay, so tye. Over the course of the show's first season, we've discussed a lot of great games, some bangers, personal favorites, Alzheimer's. But this week I want us to look at something a little different. We're gonna be looking at a magazine issue that highlights some of the worst games of all time. So I want to hear from you, like, what is the worst game that you bought and did you finish it? Ah? Yeah, So this is tough for me if you helped me out with this, and I'm glad you did, because guess what, as a subscriber to video game magazines and being obsessed with like review and critique and stuff. From literally the beginning of my video game I didn't really buy any bad games, right, Like I would sit and make like pro and con charts and like decision matrices and stuff like, oh, I only have X money. You know. The first game I bought with my own money was Mega Man two for fifty five dollars of actual money of mine would would be like one hundred and like forty dollars in today's money, so you know, it was a lot. So I guess I would say. Then I had this thing where I went back, you know, as an adult we started getting into retrogaming, right, and I like went and dug out my SNS collection. Oh right, when I was a kid, I traded in a bunch of my games that I had played one hundred million times for other games, just to see what they were like or whatever. And so the worst game that I've played extensively and owned and tried to beat was Golgo thirteen for the NES because it was like a point and click adventure with like item inventory and pixel hunts, but it was also a side scrolling action game. Sort of. This sounds sick, man, Yeah, well it looks sick. It's very stylish, but it's a lot of I don't know what's happening combined with I don't know how to control it. Combined with I'd never played a like, you know, inventory get e flask style game, and I was doing it on the nes and like it like nothing, and there was then it goes to a shooter level, like you get to a certain point, it's like almost a diehard situation. You're fighting up an office building, right, and then you get on a helicopter and then there's the side scrolling horizontal shooter where you're in a helicopter and there's this enemy I found in the instruction book called role Thunder, and it's just like a wave of apparently invincible energy balls that fills the whole screen and I have energy is invincible, So yeah, so I had I have no it would just destroy me like so. And I was even lucky enough to get there. And then like I saw I don't know, I saw like something on an online or whatever, and I know I was missing huge key mechanics and like you know, it's totally I did not know how to play the game, but it was absolutely indecipherable for me. Also, it was goal goal thirteen, so it was like a very like this is for the Sickos made in Japan game and I had never heard of it. I didn't know the anime, I didn't know the show. I didn't know anything right, so like desperately needed clues from knowing the fiction that I simply did not have. Amazing. I think you bring up a good point that as you know, kids who were reading a lot of game magazines, and I don't know about you, but I got a couple of games a year right like birthday. Yes, I was able to save up some money or whatever, but I was very studious about the games that I that I bought as a young teenager. Once I hit my twenties and had a job, I started buying a lot of games. I'd hunt through video stores like video rental stores, because they constantly we had Rogers Video here in Canada, and they would constantly be just you know, cycling out anything that wasn't being rented out. And so I got like Pokemon Part gold in Box complete with the Pokewalker like everything, for twenty bucks. You know. I got a Resident Evil Gay on GameCube for like probably fifteen, like you know, so I would just like go through. But those are good games. Yeah. I think like the absolute worst for me is when you have some like emotional attachment to a game and it's a big letdown. And that's where I get. You know, some of the worst games that I've bought and played through is where I was really excited for it bad. You know, you were kind of getting at this last week with your memories about being wrong with the Xbox or whatever, but in reverse where you think something's really great and then it turns out bad instead of thinking, oh, Xbox is never gonna make it. I've been disappointed by sequels like Sweek It in four because I was so invested in the series and it just turned out to be like mid It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great after three terrific games in that series. The most gut wrenching bad game I ever bought and finished is easily Lunar Dragon Song on the Nintendo DS. Like, oh, no, okay, ty, I don't even like admitting this game exists. It's that bad. Okay, Okay. It's pretty well known. I'm a big Lunar fan, and the two PlayStation releases are like some of my favorite games of all time. So like a third game in that series coming out on the Nintendo DS, No Last, which is one of my favorite consoles of all Time was just one of my most anticipated games ever. It didn't matter that it wasn't you know, Studio Alex and it wasn't working designs, and it wasn't you know game arts who made it. I don't even know who made it, but I was just excited And the end result is like one of the most aggravating games I've ever played with like none of the charisma, none of the charm of the originals, but like I won't go too deep, but like Tye, you lose health when you use the run button in dungeons what, which is just like basic RPG functionality. So if you want to run instead of just walking through the dungeon or wherever, you lose health. That's ludicrous. And ty you can't get experience and loot and gold in combat at the same time. You have to choose. You can either get experience or you can get loot and gold. That's horrible. It's just like an avalanche of bad game design ideas from a series, like in a series that like leaned into just being as straightforward as you can be, like Lunar just takes all the good ideas and does them well right. And Lunar Dragon Song just threw all that out the window in such like avoidable ways. It I'm just now I'm mad. TI. Yeah, that's terrible. I actually had thought of I got my own Super Nintendo right like my mom had given me an allowance. And then I also it was just before I started mowing lawns and maybe when I started mowing lawns that I got the Super Nintendo, because I got the Nintendo a little late, like it had been out for like a couple three years, and then I got it for Christmas, and so then the Super Nintendo also had come out and been out for like a year or two before I got it, and I got it with Maximum Carnage Spider Man and Venom Maximum Carnage or Spider Man and Venom team up to beat Carnage. And I was huge into comics. I was a huge Venom specifically fan. That's just like, oh my gosh, I get to play his Venom And it was a side scrolling beat him up, you know, final fight style, and it had a like the art was actually really good. There was a lot of great presentation stuff. There was a soundtrack by the metal band Green Jello, which I think then had to be changed to green Jelly. This was a real Mandela effect because I knew of friends who were into metal and somebody had a green Jello shirt and I think they got sued and had to change it to green Jelly because it said green Jelly on the cartridge and I was like, okay, So anyway, so it's like the super raw like sixteen pit digitized metal soundtrack, and the story was cool and it had all these like layover comic book effects. All the letters were in like comic book lettering, and like the combat was just like Super mid to Ad and like I beat it, you know, and I had fun with it. And it was obviously a Super Nintendo game and not a Nintendo game, but like I was definitely like coping and grinding and beyond. I love this so much. It's so great through a lot of stuff. And oh also the cartridge was read. It was a limited edition side cartridge said one Super Nintendo game, and it was read and it was cool and it's like, yeah, this is so cool, and I was like, I don't. I'm playing this is not it's not great. It's not great. I also, you like, was just didn't know bad games for a long time. I kind of had what I had, you know, yes, yeah, but yes as a kid. That's why you know a lot of as soon as you get twenty three, twenty four to twenty five, you start writing it's time for a critical re evaluation of whatever I played when I was nine, And I'm like, I mean, is it okay? All right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And sometimes it is like we've we've seen in these magazines right where twenty three, twenty four to twenty five year old you know, guys putting in and I want to be inclusive, you know, people of all genders, but primarily by and four and it's somewhat exclusionarily of twenty two, twenty three, twenty four year old guys are playing games that were great games and going this is terrible because it's not edgy and dark like I want. I'm like, okay, well, you know, sucks to be you, but like this Curby game is good. I don't know what to tell you. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Well, we have got to get to our issue. I guess at this point we haven't brought it up. But we're gonna talk about some bad games. We're gonna talk about some good games. We're gonna talk about games and game magazines, just like we always do. Stick around through the break. If you are not paying for ad free episodes being a fun Factor Ultra, remember then you will have to listen to a little bit of as we'll pay a couple of bills. We will come back. Just sit tight, well, do what we do right here on fun Factor. Welcome back to fun Factor. We're two old gamers review old video game magazine reviews. Of course we want you to review us. Do we get a full five point zero in fun Factor? Leave us a review on Apple podcasts and we'll read the best, funniest, kindest, and most entertaining ones on the air. Okay, Aiden, what's the deal of EGM?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: So today we are looking at EGM number one hundred and fifty from January two thousand and two, which might ring a bell if you listened to last episode. It has two hundred and forty six pages. It's a big boy. Number of games reviewed forty eight, which is very similar to last episode in Next Generation where they I think it was forty nine. Yeah, but in you know, less than half one hundred and three pages. Yeah, a number of systems review for six. We've got the game Boy advanced PlayStation, Dreamcast, Xbox PS two and Gamecubecast. Is interesting because this is also an issue where EGM dives heavily into Sega going multi console. As you noted, like last episode, Next Generation was barely over one hundred pages, very little editorial, as we're going to see in the flip through, like this is not that it's a big one cool cool, cool cool. Let's start with the cover of EGM number one fifty, which is a very special issue. We did EGM one hundred last season, so we're already like up to one fifty. Uh, tell me what you see on the cover here? Ty too many games? It's too many games, A many games, you know if for as intentionally busy as the cover is, it's you know, too many games, big yellow diagonal across the screen to a bunch of overlapped screen shots and then it says over on top of that GameCube, Xbox PST game by advance, start through the mess with our buyer's guy. Twenty seven pages reviews, two thousand and two previews, plus hundred best games ever and twenty of the worst, like try to gaming a monthly, So like it's intentionally very busy, write all this text, all these screenshots, but like magazines have evolved to the point like they've gotten cleaner and more professional, where like this doesn't really look any busier than a lot of the magazines we looked at in our first season, right, No, and it looks good. You know, this stuff appeals to me, and I am taking inspiration from like the flat color like big all caps Sarah font for a lot of the design for the season, because to me, I think, like EGM like really nailed that look and feel of what like that sure that early aughts gaming mag looks like and should look like it's clean, but still has personality, I think, which is like the you know, like we criticized Next Generation for just looking like the most generic video game magazine out there, but I think we, you know, we're getting something a little with a little bit more personality here. So we are going to skip past these ads and they get to the masthead. A lot of ads. Yeah, all right, we have the masthead at the front of the magazine. Editor in chief Dan Hue, longtime EGM Alum kicks things off with an editorial. But what I really want to look at is the masthead over to the right, there. It's a big, juicy Masthead tie. Like there are twelve editors and about as many contributing writers as well. That's big, Like even for this time period, that's a lot of people. Yeah, especially for right this is this is something that again when we've got next the last issue the same month, Next Generation's last issue is getting held together with spit baling wire and like eleven freelancersancers to ship it off and kick it off the side of the cliff. Look at all these staffers. This is incredible And I got to say, like, looking at this Masthead feels like a high school reunion for me, like from Dan Shue, who you know, helmed a lot of like the most influential gaming games media for me through many years in the the oughts to executive editor Mark McDonald, West Coast editor James Milky, contributing writers like John Richardi, Shane Bettenhausen and friend of the show Greg Sewart, who is in chat right now watching us record this episode. Hi Greg, Hi, Greg, I step away and come back to find you covering one of the greatest magazines ever. So Stewie, Yes, amazing. It's stat like top to bottom with the like games journalists who inspired me to love games media. Sean Baby, Sean Baby's in here. Hell yeah, we will get into Sean Baby. Okay, Greg, Oh yeah we will get into you. Worry. This list, of course, is also just like who's who of writers and games journalists games media personalities who went on to just make impressive careers like making games after their time in the press. You know, John ritch YARDI and Mark McDonald helped create and build eight four into a huge Japanese English localization company. Now Mark McDonald is senior vice president of Business Development and Production at Enhance Games. James Milky's founder BitSummit, a big Kyoto based video games conference. He's co founder of Tiger Tron Games, and is currently working on a book about the career of Nobu Uimatsu, which I am immensely interested in reading. After bouncing around various publications, including a brief Stint, sorry, a brief return to the two thousand and nine revival of EGM, Dan Shu left games Media in twenty fourteen and worked at places like Blizzard and Riot, and is now doing freelance games consulting and like, honestly, you go down the list. Evan Einhorn has worked on like a billion Sonic games. So, like you know, we've been talking about bad games, and one of the guys here is responsible for making many of the bad games in the world. Stewie and Jack Greg Sewart, Senior project manager of Red Space, Inc. Ch chu As a senior global brand and marketing lead at Tencent, where he moved after being an Xbox and working on Fortsa for a long time. Just like a wildly impressive group of people. Awesome, Well, I think we have to get to Stewie saying this is one of the best issues that they produced while he was working there. I think we got to get to the flip through. Unfortunately, Ty, we're gonna kick the flip through off with the most two thousand era thing I can possibly imagine. It's a close up of Kid Rock grabbing this junk amazing in an ad for his album Cocky and notably not a video game, not kid Racks new audio game. Right, that's the kind of reach that EGM has at this point. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Uh. It's a jump scare. It's a big jump scare. But we're gonna move on. We're gonna skim past the letters section here because there is a ton I want to talk about in this issue. So page thirty six kicks off EGM's news section, and it opens with a big spread about Tokyo Game Show and Sega's two thousand and two lineup as they sort of move away from being a console manufacturer into like a multi platform developer. Page forty, as we kind of continue to scroll through, has a half page look at Sony's one hundred and twenty four million dollar investment in Square, trying to suss out like what that means for multi platform development. And I think this is interesting because Square says in the interview, whereas the quote there is, Square president Hisashi Suzuki says, quote, we are not necessarily obligated to Sony because of this deal, but we can gauge the situation in the future and offer software to the best selling hardware maker, and at this time, there's no doubt that Sony is the best. They go on to kind of ask about portable systems and the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo stuff, and of course they went on not long after this to announce a return to Nintendo consoles, GameCube with stuff like Crystal Chronicles, and of course the Game Boy advance with stuff like sort of on on FOLLOWANCI Tactics advance. We are going to move on to page forty four and forty five. I said the kid Rock ad was maybe the most two thousand and two coded thing I'd ever seen until I got to this page. Can you tell me what we're looking at? Paint a word picture here for our listeners. Tie, Okay, so it's Nintendo throws Cube party and let's get the full spread here, right, So to be young and hip and cool with the teens, we have Jason Big Star of American Pie and American Pie two, says the caption here Local Maniac hangs with Shannon Elizabeth Center and Shane West.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, Tara Reid from The Big Lebowski and a bunch of crappy teen movies. Not worth mentioning, I said Van Wilder. I'm not going to say that it holds up, but that was it was funny. Ryan Reynolds, you know in American Pie also, yes, yeah, so like Jason Biggs, they're willing to name American Pie. But you know what Big Lebowski is, Yeah, a genuine classic. So good for terror re singer Mandy Moore. It's very funny because even in this era Mandy Moore, I remember watching her like Dave you pop video and they're trying to stuff her into the like Britney Christina Bucket and I was watching on MTV and I was like, this is not this is not her. You guys are screwing up. And like they showed some interview and I was like, she is clearly super talented, but not at this you guys are like miscasting her as like just another pop star. She like, I mean, like most recently she was on This is Us as like the Grandma, and I feel like she always sort of had like grandma vibes a little bit a little bit, but like, you know, she had a to voice, act, get stuff. You know, she's the yes Yeah, because she's Rapunzel actually Entangled, Yes Entangled as well. Good call Stewie says big Lebowski was a big thing around the e GM offices. I think CJ. Trid to fitted references wherever you could. So anyway, uh again, Now, Tara Reid also bops over to the Sony Show, and so also Jason Biggs. Here's Jessica Bielee from Heavin Tera. Reid dressed up as that girl from SSX. Okay cool, Sean William Scott Stiffler Okay, Oh dude, where's my car? Reference? Okay, awesome. I gotta say, though Ty, the fashion here is doing it for me. These guys are looking good, like has Jason Biggs ever looked better? No? I don't think so. And it's very funny because you know, my kids are all like late teens, early twenties now, and my youngest as a senior, and the high schoolers have speed ramdy nineteen nineties through y two k fashion like just bringing it off back. So funny. I know, same thing here. I drive by the high school, like my old high school regularly and the kids acrossing the street and it's just like, I'm like, man, did they raid our closet from when we were in high school? It's crazy. Following this news section, we have a feature area that I always really liked called Afterthoughts. And you know, because of the lead time of magazines being printed, having the like exist on store shelves for thirty days or whatever depending on their print schedule, they focused a lot about what's next, what's coming news, what have we seen that you guys want to know about? Where are we ahead of the curve? After thoughts was a cool opportunity for the writers and editors at EGM to go back and do kind of post mort interviews with game developers looking back at some of the kind of popular games of the year. And then this issue we get interviews about Ace Combat four and Star Wars, Rogue Squadron two, Rogue Leader two, games that I don't personally care too much about, I have no real attachment to. But getting that sort of reflective look at a game rather than like a promo mode look at a game from a developer is pretty neat, and I think it's something that EGM was doing that helped define kind of their their desire to like be more holistic about how we talk about video games. Aiden I have in our notes here you put oh yeah, and next to that an absolutely unhinged anthropomorphized frog cargo shorts. Are you talking about Obi wan Kenobi? I'm not talking about Obi Wan okay? Oh hello, oh dear, Oh no, okay, I see now that's it's an ad for Frogger. It says Frogger, and then a registered trademark logo, then an apostrophe as Frogger's back, and it's pretty funny because it has then a little tiny Froger and it says also available and convenient travel size. And it's an ad for a PlayStation uh Frogger release and a game Boy Advanced Frogger release. I can almost guarantee you, without having played either of these, that the Game Boy Advance one is probably better three D one full three D gameplay on PlayStation two. Yeah, this is not not good. This is what I would think. They're both asked, says Drew By. Yeah, yeah, okay, Andrew, and Chad says they're both bad. Fair enough. We're gonna move on to page sixty five here. This kind of gets into what you were talking about with the Pentathlon earlier. There's a piece called quote US Army attacks video game Industry, and well, ty, it's can you just read it for me? But it's not just training for modern situations. The Army is after The Army wanted a game that not only represented the soldier of two thousand and one, says Matt Norton, Pandemics producer on Sea Force, but also the soldier of twenty twenty. Thus, the game will feature logical evolutions of existing technology like new weaponry and remote piloted surveillance vehicles, whether or not that would include plasma rifles BFG nine thousands and railguns. Norton wouldn't say. And then there's a caption of some under some concept art and it says, quote, Nope, it's not unreal tournament. This concept art is what the Army imagines their soldiers might look like come twenty twenty. I mean, what I think is like kind of astute. Is that, like, honestly, quote, remote pilot and surveillance vehicles is a pretty spot on prediction of what we're seeing from warfare in twenty two. Well, right, and what this either presages or doesn't it's hard for them to see. It's like, is the feedback loop, right? Yeah? Is that the kids who grew up playing this and did go into the army and stayed and became officers or whatever they're recruiting via these methods, right, And there's that feedback loop of I want to feel like I'm playing call of duty when I'm in the army, Right, I want to feel like I'm an operator.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And we see this more and obviously with ice and stuff, you know, they're recruiting all these people who are not career soldiers or whatever. They're just guys who want to get dressed up in all the tactical stuff. And then the tactical stuff is represented in the video games, and then the video games reflect the real life and the real life. So like this feedback loop, I think is something that we weren't really imagining that they would have together to be kind of the same thing. Yeah. Interesting, We're gonna keep going. If you flip forward to Wage seventy seven, I need you to read the ad tagline. Oh no, Connecticut. Ah, G String meets G Force, it's your boy. Oh no, Connecticut Now, oh the first one. Now I will say I'll give this ad. This looks way more plausible as an action, does it. I mean, I can at least sort of see. But this looks like you're rollerblading and you happen to have wheels. Again, this is so ridiculous, dude, It's so ridiculous. It's it's what they're wearing in the fast lane. Slip into a kinetic suit and feel the intense competition. Scale walls, cling the ceilings, pull off ground that areal stunts. On twelve futuristic man a machine are United pure speed never looked so and dude, again, this is like, show me the X ray, show me the skeleton, here's the hip, here's the like is the butt cheeks the leg from needing it? Like, what are we doing here? This is terrible? And I do want to give a shout out to the video edition of Fun Factor. If you listen to this on audio, do check out the YouTube version because I cut in some Connecticut documentary like making no documentary to the last episode when we covered I didn't even connect at And it's so funny seeing them try to like sell the game seriously as like an competitor or whatever, and like, you know, their noble intentions to make something that's just really fast and fun, when really it's just g G string thes G force. They even they trot out a you know, a woman who works as a producer or whatever, and she's trying to like say nice things about the game. You can tell she's just dying inside. Okay, well I miss that. I'm gonna go back and watch that because I would love to get a retelling of it, you know, give me an oral history of this, an article about this, another go back and remake this because I like, are you the guy that they interview in it too? Is like the most like guy who made Connecticut Guy ever? Of course, Yeah, that's very good, But let's get down to brass tacks, like enough of this. Let's get to page eighty three because this is a huge issue and we're running late. This episode is going to be long. A preview start on page eighty three, kicking off with Final Fantasy X. You know, I can talk a lot about Final Fantasy tens, and I'm sure we'll review the review when we get there, but what I really wanted to look at just before we move on is at the bottom of the first page of the preview. You have some screenshots of the characters, and they look distinctly more Asian than they do in the finest, especially Una and tied us status, which I think is a is disappointing that that we moved away from that, like the the remasters from what twenty fourteen or whenever they came out Ye criticized for like whitewashing the character faces even more. Yeah, but I love these shots and I wish we had seen maybe more of this. That's fascinating and yes, bad, to be clear, but it is fascinating. Yeah, page ninety six, we have a preview for a game called a Curra Psycho Ball, which looks like a pinball game. But that is just like, that's a sick name for a video game. Yes, I want to pause on page ninety eight, ninety nine and appreciate this amazing advertisement for Eco. Can you paint us a word picture of this ego? Holy cow? Okay, So this is a gigantic labyrinth maze type thing. You've got to start and Eco logo, and I mean it's over to pages and it's hundreds and hundreds of twists and turns and not kind of celtic not but randomized and then their screech right, and so you can follow these paths and then there's arrows. There's some words in some spots. We got a little bit of a tagline here. Enter a world of enchantment, Your Eco mysterious boy on a quest. Expelled from your village to an isolated castle. You have eerie dreams. D Da da da da da. Eco, solve the puzzles, join the Tormented words forever, or join the torment words forever. Yeah, so very cool, very cool. I like how the screenshots are sort of scattered through as though like you're seeing moments as they traverse the map and that's what's happening in that area of the map or whatever. Just very evocative, very like representative of what I think why I think human created art is just so important even in like you know, capitalist marketing campaigns. Somebody spent way too much time making this actually navigable, you know what I mean? Like, yeah, I know, can like can you actually finish that, Matt like that mays I can't do it without a firm without trying, But it reads as though it is finishable, right, And there's little even arrows helping you guide at every intersection. This is this, that is that to make sure you know what path you're still on. That's just an enormous amount of work. Oh my god, Yeah, very cool. We're gonna go past the rest of the previews. I would love to start for previews as Xenosaga, Resident Evil remake, Koshigami, and even Project Ego, which would go on to become Fable, which is one of my favorite games of that generation. But we're gonna go instead to page one hundred and twenty four, where the issues Huge feature starts. Oh that's the one hundred best games ever. Unfortunately, we're not gonna spend the whole episode talking about another EGM Top one hundred Games of All Time list? What nine mainline episodes? After we did the first, yeah, so is, we did issue one hundred and that was if you remember Season one episode nineteen a fun Factor, we went over Issue one hundred and did their their top one hundred games list. I could talk about this list four days, but what I do want to do is point out some of the new editions, maybe games that came out between the two lists. I also want to point out that they have Final Fantasy seven at number ninety one, and I do think that sort of reflects the way Fohonnacy seven kind of always has this like up and down sort of reputation. But Resident Eva one at number ninety f zero, Exit eighty five get dunk down. Yeah, it's wild. What else? Yeah? Anything else stand out to you kind of at the top of the list here, Yeah, of course. And I'm granted, like anything on here is still impressive, right, it's still top one hundred list nine. But if I'm Fantasy nine fifty seven, yeah, I'm scrolling up. So you've got You've got the top ten already. Okay, wait wait, where's twenty six? It was twenty seven and last okay, so the most positive. Yeah, a few things I want to point out here. New stuff on the list Skys of Arcadia at number eighty. We know friends of the show Retrograde Amnesia are starting a season about Skies of Arcadia. Check them out. Amazing podcast about old video or old RPGs, Advance Wars at seventy two. Happy to see that on their nice paper, Mario at number forty eight. We also have Funasay nine at fifty seven. Like you said, Link's Awakening is criminally low at fifty five, and Chronocross number thirty six. Oh wow, which I can get on board with just ten spots behind it severely underranked older sibling. Yes, so, Stewie and chat goes. Be sure to check out Mark McDonald's personal list at the bottom of one of the pages. And Mark McDonald has magician Lauro Nam nineteen seventy five for Neo Gio. Both of those are Geo Geo games. Secret of Mana supers Sonic is overrated, you know it's true. Vashio Blade PlayStation and einhander. Okay, thank you, Mark the crowd. I gotta say like as a long time eight four play listener as well. Mark McDonald's one of the hosts there. I love that he has and they all have nicknames even way back then. But carrying on, we weren't gonna spend too much time on this. Let's run down the top ten. We have super Mario World number nine, Final Fantasy three which final Panty six now, oh great enough time in Majora's Mask, back to back at eight and seven, Soul Caliber at six, number five, Super Mario sixty four, number four, Symphony of the Night number three linked to the past, number two, Tetris number one, super Metroid. What do you think, ty, Yeah, this is fascinating. I want to go back and see. Do you know where super Metroid was on their prest I can't remember off the top of my head. I think it was top ten. Okay, because you and I had this discussion where you totally owned me about Tetris being number one, and how like it kind of it almost has to be number one, right, Like it's the perfect game. It's for every platform. It's so universal, every person can play it. Many people can play it, well, it's traditional gamers, non traditional gamers. It's it's immediate, it's addictive, it's it's just the gamiest possible game. Didn't make a movie about Super Metroid. No, but it's it's interesting to me though, because it's like, and I was trying to go, look like, you can tell stories, there's you know, technology advances, there's things you can do. Like I don't think the art of video game starts and stops with Tetris, but I didn't have a really great argument for that. And now this is fascinating because Super Metroid is now somehow bubbled up over it, maybe as we're starting to get towards because Castlevania Sympathy and Night is four, right, so like we are presaging the metroid Vania of Wow. If you can combine the kind of storytelling and progression that only video games can do with interactivity and with actual telling of stories, right, your characters are progressing literally in terms of strength and power, and they're also progressing metaphorically through character arcs at the same time. That's a powerful form of storytelling, power, powerful you know, realization of the art form. However, there's also you know, they're trying to combine new hotness and you know, nostalgia and balance them against each other. You know the fact that Chrono Trigger was I think twenty seven and moved up one spot to twenty six is fascinating to me. Why hasn't that bubble up started yet? You know, we've talked about it a million times. You know, chrona Trigger being gradually bumped up through history and now it's it's definitely going to be in many people's top twenty of all time, top ten of all time, maybe even number one of all time, even though there's thousands and thousands you know, there's twenty more years of gas released after this. Stuie and Chat just throws out, hey, can I offer a theory? EGM started as a group of primarily hardcore arcade gamers, and by this era it was primarily folks who've grown up playing console games. The staff were nes Genesis SNS kids as opposed to arcade kids. So it's the generational change over who was staffing the magazine that that helped shift their staff picks around a little bit. Which that's fascinating as well, And that's probably why I find this list less objectionable, Like I can it fits my tastes more closely than the list in the issue one hundred personally, And like I can go and think of a lot of games I can argue should be in the top ten, but like for me personally, the only ones that stand out are Soul Caliber and the two Zelda games as games that I wouldn't at least consider from my own personal put link to the past anywhere in year three. Uh, wouldn't be it my one hundred probably TI, it's not that great if I'm taking ten Zelda games, it's not making it. Ah, Okay, now I'm just now I'm mad again. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Like people are like, oh, this is what they no, But that's what I mean. That's what's fascinating, Like jokes aside, that's what's fascinating about these lists. And I'm sure you know Greg and Chat can speak to the arguments, right like one person's top ten game, like lots of people would put Okareen in a Time is a top ten game of all time. I think it won a top ten list in EGM at one point, surprise me or somewhere, But it just it isn't a Zelda game that I like and I wouldn't put it in my top ten Zelda games. I'm just not much of a fan of evoke rain of time. But trying to find like an objective order for a group of people like you and I would have to sit here and argument. I'd be like, yeah, link to the Past should be in the top ten. You go, I don't even want it on top hundred list. How do you reconcile that and then put forward something that is like, you know, representative of the communal? Like, I know how you do it because min Max does this every year the two tens, and they record like sixteen hours of content as like five to seven people go through just of their yeah oh yeah, yeah, just to come up with a toy and it's it's, oh my god, the circular dibate giant bomb. I think that's something similar where they have like a six hour like podcast where they debate all of this stuff for Game of the Year, which is fabulous, and like, you know what, you also do it because you have editors who go, no, sorry, I'm going to put this in at this point, and so you know, for this show, you edit the audio version of the podcast, I edit the video version and we'd probably just end up with different top tens depending on which FORMA yeah, but it is, you know, it is cool. There's some great additions, and top one hundred lists are just fabulous because it's awesome to talk about games, and it's awesome to make, you know, like to make your arguments for your favorites. What I really want to talk about, though, and this gets back to our opening conversation is Sean Babies EGM's Craps Dravaganza twenty Worst Games Ever. So this follows the top one hundred game. Anyone who's familiar with Sean Baby knows that he was mildly obsessed with bad video games, a pretty funny guy, and so here he has a pretty long feature about like the worst games ever. So we're gonna run through some of this stuff. But first, each game is accompanied by scores for graphics, fun, and then a third unique metric that the that's you know, specific to that game. They're also given an icon so you can easily spot, like what kind of crap they are? Can you break down the quote iconocrap system for us time Iconocrap? Want to enjoy our article but don't know how to read? Watch for these icons to get an at a gland scander at what makes each game so very, very not special. We have an upside down Sheep for series Black Sheep, a guy with money eyes for Born in a marketing meeting full motion video ahead. So we have the drama masks, but instead of smiling and crying, they're both crying. Licensed shlock with a pile of dung with a barcode on it. The Naked Lady silhouette leaves you feeling dirty, the Space and Space Invader sprite with a halo, vaguely wholesome, overwrought mall store, Ninja Star called Ninja Kidnap the President, and then a unicorn mythic bad Graphics and so the cover image of this feature is a like seventies porn star guy with like a open collar shirt, baby pink shirt, big glossy necklace with the this is logo. I would wear this. This is very nice, like the twenty is as a dragon. It's pretty, it's pretty sick. I can only assume that this model in the photograph is Greg Zewart from the show and Chat as well. It's It's gonna be We're gonna kick things off tie with number twenty, speaking of the Mandela effect extreme sports. Wait, no, not the Mandela, Yes, Mandela fan extreme sports with the Berenstein Bears. This one is spelt with just ease. But it's it's yeah that it's yeah. It's even wrong for the thing that people thought it was right? Is it? People think it's I don't know. It gets a one out of ten and graphics, a zero out of ten in fun, and a zero out of ten in extremeness. Extremeness, Oh, Greg says the uh. The photograph was Dan Paluso, who was wasn't having managing editor Davis special incredible. That is like that is a thick uh like shag rush outstanding of a chest. It's labeled with born in a marketing meeting, licensed, schlock and vaguely wholesome. Have you played extreme sports? I have not. This is Game Boy Color only. I didn't have a Game Boy Color, and I didn't I would not have bought this or or played this even if it had been available to me. Okay, with a six in graphics, a one in fun, and an eight out of ten in Jesus Power. Number nineteen goes to Bible Adventures. Have you played Bible Adventures? Tie, and if so, is it an accurate representation of scripts? Not only have I played Bible Adventures, wow, now thy lore. My mom and dad divorced when I was one, and my dad remarried quite quickly, and then he and my stepmom became evangelical Christians when I was like six, and so I got whiplashed very hard into like, wait, what what are we reorganizing our life around? And my mom was like an old hippie and lapsed Catholic who was getting really into like woo stuff. So it was like literally my mom was like going to see an astrologer, and then I would go to my like evangelical Yeah, mom and dad, So this is great. So my siblings we had Bible Adventures, we had all the Wisdom Tree terrible games. And also Sean Baby has rewritten and republished over the years on his own website some of his takedowns of games. And I've read various versions of his takedowns of Bible Adventures, and this is very true because there's so mini games here. And I'm gonna read this bit because it is absolutely right. In Baby Moses, your job is to haul Baby Moses through a desert filled with spiders who want to eat Baby Moses. And it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes for the game to degenerate it to you just throwing Baby Moses into a river and watching him sink, then pretending it was an accident. If you make it to the end of a level without Baby Moses, your only reprimand is good work. But you forgot Baby Moses. So even if you kill Baby Moses, you still feel good about yourself. And isn't that exactly what would be important to Baby Moses at least sitting on the bottom of the river being eaten by spiders. And Sean Baby was an early master of just the like super super turbose snarky style that would be coming to power in this era of online slash print at the same time, and Stue said in the chat, Crispin Boyer contracted Sean Baby for this list. After he read it, editor in chief Dance Shoe immediately put Sean on a retainer so you can keep them as a regular contributor, and I assume keep him out of competitor mags. Yeah, because Sean Baby has been dining out on making fun of this stuff for twenty years. I actually just looked him up a couple weeks ago. He still has a podcast and stuff. There's a ton of stuff carrying on. A number eighteen. We have Crisscross make my video. It gets a one in graphics, a zero in fun, and an eight in evil incantations. Have you played criss Cross make?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 1: Something like Crisscross doesn't happen without the help of evil wizards, So we reckon. The miggity miggity miggity Mac Daddy and the diggity Diggity Diggity Daddy Mac must be time traveling magicians from the future who use their advanced knowledge of how to wear things backward to infiltrate the music biz, which means by the time you read this will probably be toads. Not that I expect there are many of you, but if you are young enough to not know who Chriss Cross are, they were rappers where they brothers, and they wore their clothes backwards for some reason. They would make you jump jump uh huh. Number seventeen twenty games bubbsy three d Oh God Bad Street Brawler, not to be confused with Good Street Brawler. No. At Number sixteen total recall takes the fifteenth spot. Have you played bubbsy three D, Bad Street Brawler or Total Recall tigh No, I haven't though Bad Street Brawler looks very much like a straight ripoff of River City. Yeah, and it looks much worse, which is a good street brawl. It's a good street brawler. Yeah, we have we're coming in and we're coming up on the you know, like of the midway point here of the list, as we get closer to the top ten. We have Aircars at fourteen, Rap Jam Volume one at thirteen everyone knows Rap Jam got good with volume two, and night Trap at twelve oh boy oh and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Heroes of the Lamps and number eleven. Have you played Aircars, Rap Jam Volume one, Night Trap or Advance Dungeons and Dragons Heroes of the Lamb. I haven't to. Night Trap is the only, like, you know, memorable one. I think you know that I might have played. I know people who played it, you know, gone back and played it. Obviously it was a huge cultural phenomenon, mostly negatively and positively. I think this is just the anti full motion video. Yeah, the night Trap is a classic fire This shod baby guy. You know FMV at the time that it just wasn't there, right. It wasn't the thing that people wanted it to be. It wasn't interactive. It was technically possible, but not great, So I get why people love to hate it, and then, especially when it brought a bunch of heat on the industry, also people love to hate that. Kicking off the top ten worst games of all time is Revolution X, which I believe is an Arrowsmith themed light gun game. Yeah gets it. Two in graphics, a zero in fun, and a zero in basic concept. Have you ever played Revolution X time? I have not because this was reviewed very poorly at the time. Zero in fun. You'll be in some rooms shooting unflinching identical men for ten minutes, while the same four seconds of an Aerosmith too loop indefinitely. That's not a game. That's a Nazi experiment to see how much takes for a human head to pop. Good lucktopping Revolution X satan uh huh who. Number nine is a regrettable game called Custers Oven where Colonel Custard Is that what his name is? General Custer? Yes, I'm not up on my American history. I'm sorry, General Custer tries to cross the desert and sexually assault Indigenous women. His boner is made from several pixel Wow. Yeah, it gets a three in graphics, a one in fun, and an eight or is that an historical accuracy? Uh? Wow? Yeah, I Q this is astonishing. Yeah, you didn't know about this game? No, I did not. This game is not not good. This is this is horrifying. Yeah, and I thank you Sean historical accuracy gets nine. Although General Custer didn't sexually assault any of them and was in fact instead killed by Native Americans, the rest of this game's premise is actually correct. Besides adding true to history details like Custer's magnificent pink scarf and blue cowboy hat, the creators did exhaustive research on cowboys having sex. Oh my gosh, okay, so like, like, I don't even have words to describe how horrible this is also Custer's revenge, And here here's your history. Prime Custer got freaking owned. He was a dumb guy who got absolutely routed, and then they tried to make a hero out of him by being like and this was the guy who got at the bottom of a hill and had like four different tribes calm down the hill and kill all his people. Terrible good gravy. Okay, let's move on. That's Oh did you play Custer's Revenge? Don't say no? Okay, Ty, would you like to do the honors of introducing game numbers? Why?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Would?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man? We reviewed? Uh? Was it Next Generations review? May it was Game Pro because they had the sports editor. It was a Game Pro's review of White Men Can't Don't Jump? For the Atari Jaguar Woo for the game version of White Men Can't Jump. We were expecting to fight our way through the Kingdom of the Swamp people with fire, basketball throwing atomic Wesley snipes, it's amazing that they actually made the game about basketball. And I remember, hold on, hold on, hold on, Okay, I'm scanning this article. I note because here's the thing. The reason I know these is that Sean Baby put on his website expanded versions of all of these amazing and so I think I actually came to somebody linked me to his website where he has expanded versions of all of these, and he complained about the premise the title being like reverse racist. So he's like, oh, white men Can't Jump. He's like, well, what if I made a movie called Asian Women Drive like Tiny Maniacs? You wouldn't like that? Oh boy? So I think Sean Baby maybe was best with an editor because leaning into the edgy humor didn't age nearly as well when we stuck with you know, the more clever takedowns. And like I said, that line stuck in my head. But yeah, thanks to sloppy graphics and insane camera work, the hoop looks like a distant chunk of grape nuts. You can never tell when you make a basket. Thankfully, basketball phrases appear on screen when anything happens. What's funny is he kicks it off saying, quote for a game version of White Man Can Jump, we were expecting to fight our way through the Kingdom of the swamp people with a fire, basketball throwing atomic Wesley Snipes. But on the previous page he lists go down Yeah, top five worst game concepts ever shak fu number one, A basketball player in a fighting game sounds like a third degree black mountain crap. Huh, which is it? Do you want to play as a basketball player eh in an action game? Or do you come on? Shong baby number Did you ever play?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: White Man. Can No, I don't think I've even played. I haven't played a Jaguar. I haven't played a Jaguar game. I don't know that I've ever seen it. Number seven, can you use the trend of bad media IP tie ins with Superman sixty four, which even at the time was like lambastard for being super bad? It gets a score of one in graphics, which is too high, a zero in fun, and a nine in realism. Number six is Gilligan's Island, which scored a one in graphics, a zero in fun, and a one in craftsmanship. Did you ever play Superman sixty four or Gilligan's Island? No, no, I cannot play any of these. I also have gilligans Island kind of looks like a metal gear solid ripo. No. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's fantastic. Okay yeah. Virtue Woso cracks open our top five, scoring a zero in graphics, a zero in fun, and a zero in realistic portrayal of a megastar lifestyle for an average rating of zero. How is that not the number one worst game? In question? Good question? Have you played Virtuoso tie?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Neither have I played Captain Novelle in so at number four, I see to teach children about diabetes, a game I'm certain doesn't actually exist. It got a one in graphics, is zero in fun, and a zero in ability to save lives. Number three is another game I don't think actually exists, called Fight for Life, which got a one in graphics, a one in fun, and a one in contribution to failure. I know you didn't play Captain Virtual or Captain Noble, Captain Virtuo. So Captain Noblean, did you play Fight for Life? No? Again, Jaguar game. Didn't play it, but this got brutal reviews in every magazine. I can't imagine what consoles fail for subtle reasons like bad marketing or sun spots. But there's bad games that killed the Jaguar, which really didn't fail hard enough. If any of the people responsible for the Jaguar still have their homes, there is no justice in the World runner up. We have a three way tie between the CD I Zelda games. Sure, did you ever play the CDI Zelda games? Tye? Have you ever seen a CDI in real life? Definitely not seen a CDI in real life. No. I would love for Nintendo to somehow figure out how to get these on uh Nintendo Switch online. So good?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Taking top spot is e t with a zero graphics, a zero in fun, and a ten in a Little Boy's Love, for an average score of about three point three three. I gotta say this feels more like a meme pick than anything. Did you play, yeah, tye, yes? If so? Did you dig it out of a Mexico landfilm?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I did not dix it out of the get Out of any Mexico landfill. I had you know, friends, babysitters, et cetera that had atari's and this game it's so it's so like inscrutable, like you don't even really understand what's happening, and like is he it says most of the actual gameplay here, as you trying to escape from scientists and jumping into pits to find parts of your telephone. I like, we thought you were not supposed to fall in the pits. We thought you were supposed to be trying to avoid the pits, which you couldn't typically game you couldn't do You're trying to avoid exactly, and so like you would constantly fall into the pits and then just be like I can't get out, and like we didn't know how to make them get out. Uh yeah, So it's absolutely terrible game and famously notoriously terrible game. And also famously and notoriously yes, they took all of their excess backstock millions and millions and millions of backstock cartridges and just sorry, there's been hundreds of thousands probably and put them in a landfill, which they then vigorously denied until people went and found several years ago Et cartridges in that landfill. It did happen. Graphics have got a zero, and they need to read this quote quote. Et has never looked worse, which is a pretty amazing accomplishment since he started out looking like a slimy little space penis. And I think that is a fabulous way to wrap up Sean Babies. Yes, top twenty worst games of all time. Wow, compelling podcasting. But sadly, I've played exactly zero of those games in my life. You've played a few, yes, which I'm impressed by. And we just spent way too long on that section. I love that you put that in the script, and then we spent even much longer than I bet you thought we would. Incredible stuff. I had a feeling I had a feeling we are unfortunately going to skip past this buyer's guide, which has some incredible unique art. It reminds me of like the cover of a soul hip hop album, like way back in the day. Beautiful stuff. Okay, but you know we're running late. We're running, we're running fast. We haven't even got to our review yet, so we're gonna skip this holiday gift buyer's guide and get to the review. That's right, so before we do that. No matter how great the writing is in these classic game magazines, our favorite writing is yours. When we come back from the sad break, we read your reviews of our reviews of classic video game magazine reviews right here on fun.
Speaker 2: Fact, we've got mail.
Speaker 1: As promised, we always review the best, funniest, kindness, and most entertaining. Five star Apple podcast reviews on the air. Bonus points if you say who your favorite host is and why. Double bonus points if it's paid all right on Apple Podcasts. Five stars from Random Underscore Guitar. This is a podcast I didn't know I needed in my life, but now I'm obsessed. I don't typically re listen to podcasts multiple times, but this one may have inspired me to do so. One thing I like about fun factor is I can listen to nostalgic game content without worrying about spoiling games I haven't played yet. Oh it's great. This pot is simply fun to listen to. It is very well produced and the music's a great touch as well. Thank you Random guitar. That is super cool to read. Love the review, love the rating. It helps us a ton aid. And you said you've got some Discord comments you wanted to share. Yeah, so we touched base with our ultra readers or ultra review crew in the exclusive Discord channel to ask about their experiences with like the worst games they ever bought, and we got some great responses here. So Quabi Lay said, Mega Man Network Transmission, it's so sluggish and trying to bring that game back into three D from the cool RPG car An Act of Grid Combat was a mistake. The GBA games, those MegaMan GBA like RPGs were cool. I never played a network transmission, but it is it's tough, like to make that jump from kind of one genre to the other, one medium to another. To pay in Discord, says does switch to Welcome to her account. I like switch to Welcome to Her.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 1: You did have to buy it, though, so fair. I think it counts. I thought it was worth a few ten bucks or whatever. Lord Drew be Andrew Blewett in chat says Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven, which I expect would make a lot of people's lists at launch, it's a lot better now, Andrew says quote. I was told it would have player agency and choices like an immersive sim. Then it wouldn't let me opt out of my character getting a cybernetic implant. I don't want hackers or corporations getting a hold of my body through an implant kind of player choices at refunded it shortly after. That is interesting because that does kind of get to the I haven't played Cyberpunk, but I assume the main theme is, like, you know, the intersection between technology and humanity, what makes a human? All that kind of stuff, and that seems like it would be a big consequential choice in a game like that. James Halliday says Starfox zero. Never has a game looked so good but absolutely missed the mark so bad. Star Fox sixty four was one of the best games developed and instead of following that formula, Nintendo has consistently attempted to innovate the series with half cooked ideas, and Starfox zero is just the latest blunder. Instead of smooth gameplay with a charismatic cast of characters and multiple roots for replay ability, the game broke the flow with mini robot sections and repetitive bosses. I just wanted a star Fox game, Yeah right, please just want just do the thing. Just make good games. Yeah, just like make a good Starfox game. You got a template. So fabulous stuff. In their study also said he also wanted to like Cyberpunk, but now he's getting that fixed with replaced. So if you votes for Cyberpunk, which is fair. I bought it for cheap because I wanted to check it out and switch to but I have not played it yet. So fabulous stuff. On the fun Factor Discord, if you're not already a member, you can join the discord for free. We have a active, passionate, knowledgeable kind community, and if you're an ultra member you get access to the Altered Lounge, where we do stuff like pull our listeners on the worst games they've ever bought, drop secret links to the recording sessions like this episode right now, So get on over there. It's a lot of fun, awesome stuff. Thank you all so much for your ratings, your reviews, your comments, your input. We love reading your stuff, We love interacting with you guys. Please continue to share and rate and review on Apple podcasts. Put comments in YouTube if you're watching on the YouTube version right because that just helps the computers, the great gods that decide who gets to see what to keep making what. I know that they hate people like what we're doing and are interactive with this, go do that. We'll read the best, kindest, funniest and most insightful ones on the air. Sit tight for one more break. We will come back, do what we do and review a GM's review of metal Gear Solid Tune. We're having five stars out of five stars worth fun today and folks, if you are to leave a rating and review on Apple podcast, as I just said, we will read the best, finest, best funniest, guyness and most entertaining ones on the air. But now it's time we review the review. The thing that we do aiden take it away. Have you recovered from the last section? I maybe because I have, sure, But fortunately we're pretty familiar with EGM's review format. At this point issue one fifty, they're still using their long standing review crew set up, with most games getting three capsule reviews, some of them get one capsule review, some of the smaller releases, some of them, like the big releases, and there are many this month, get capsule reviews and like a full length, multi page feature review. They use a ten point scale with half points, so it's like a twenty point scale, I guess. And according to their rubric, a ten is quote one of the best games ever made, a revolutionary title, A zero is a game you want to avoid at all costs, and a five is average. Platinum, Gold, and Silver awards are given out for average scores of ten nine plus and between eight and nine, respectively. This issue is packed with genuine classics like not just like you know, memorable games like genuine classics Pickman, which we just covered in the last episode when we looked at Issue an eighty five next Generation. This issue is also from January two thousand and two, Like I said, and it has I just couldn't skip this, I think. Actually we talked off air about the fact that we might stick to January two thousand and two for a few episodes. Because this issue has reviews of Halo, it has a review of Grand Theft Auto three, it has reviews of Burnout, Jack and Daxter, Golden Sun, and just a enormous number of like legitimate bangers Warriorland for and of course the best three D fighting game of all time Doender Live three, of course. And so we're going to stick around in January two thousand and two for at least this episode, maybe more. It's a jam packed month. So I'm trying to figure out we're going to talk about it. We was drinking here, looks like mountain, dem It's clearly mountain. But like cheers, I think, I don't think read those before. Code red? Code is code red? Okay, Wow, I didn't realize code red. Uh, I forgot it was that long ago. That's a code red. Incredible that that we have this steward, a time capsule, all right, twenty five cents in the office vending machine for a cant of code red. So today you know, with games, what did I say, Pickman, Burnout, Grand Theft Auto three, Jack and Daxter, Dead Our Live three, Halo project, Gotham Racing, which was a source of debate in the Fun Factor discord recently. Yes, it was Shrek, Golden Sun, Warrio Lan four. What we're going to review, None of those, None of those bangers. We're going to review drum Roll Doom for the Devoid bands. No we're not Doom. No we're not. We're gonna stop on page two twelve for e GM's three page view of metal Gear Solid two. It's your experience with metal Gear Solid two. Ty, what about the like metal Gear Solid series as a whole? Absolutely zero? Oh boy, absolutely zero. I have metal Gear Solid at all. I don't know, and I think I very very briefly mentioned it on one episode. It was just one of those like even though I read all these magazines and stuff, like, word of mouth was still huge. I had a very you know, tight knit friend group, and one of my friends got it and I was like, ah, now this kind of sucks actually, and I was like, oh okay. And then when metal Gear Solid two came out, it was like, oh man, I really it looks like I really really needed to have played one in order to play too. And so then, like many things in my life, my instinct for completionism meant that I just never did it, ever, I never played any of them. It's funny because, like we'll kind of get into it, but skipping metal Gear Solid one maybe would have improved initial impressions of Metal Gear Solid two because there was a lot of debate about some of the choices it made the I played a lot of Metal Gear Solid two. I was a big fan. I didn't even mind the fake out, which we'll touch on in a second. But metal Gear Solo on the PlayStation was, you know, a popular game among me and my friend groups I have. I think I told this story on the podcast before, but fond memories of like I was home sick from school one day and just playing through metal Gear Solid in one sitting. So when two came out, I was stoked, very excited. I don't think I had my own PlayStation yet, so I must have played a friend's house, but very exciting. The main part of this feature is uncredited, but it's big, and it digs deep into the game, using a voice that doesn't necessarily feel like it's trying to stick to the banal house style, like it still feels like you're sitting down with a specific person, even if it's unnamed. Notably, it kicks off with this statement, which I thought was interesting. Quote. First things first, don't read this review if you're worried about it ruining any part of Metal Gear Solid two story. It will. We do have some complaints, but you still must play the game, and you should do that knowing as little as possible. For maximum enjoyment, just skip ahead to the spoiler free reviews on page two fourteen, then go play the game. So a lot of this is referencing the fact that for the first two hours you play a Solid Snake, the hero, the main character from the earlier games in the series, and Metal Gear Solid one you have the Tanker episode. It's fabulous. It's this little closed box of like perfect Metal Gear Solid gameplay, probably like the best Metal Gear Solid gameplay there is. Then you beat the Tanker and then there's a fake out Snake disappears and you start playing as a new guy named Ryding or Raiden. I guess it doesn't really rhyme with my name, right, and Rayden Rayden, Yeah, And so that's where a lot of the like consternation comes in. This rug pole was widely talked about famously. Infamously, it changed the perception of Metal Gear Solid completely. But what I think is interesting here is how the review immediately presents itself as like a piece of criticism rather than like a buyer's guide style. Should I buy this review? Which is what we were used to at the time, right, And I like that EGM was saying, Hey, we want to talk about this game, and it's like legacy or what it's shaped, like, how it how it shapes the game's industry and the series and all that. What do you think of this tie this approach? Yeah, no, I like this, especially we've got this spoiler free review versus not version, right, like having that jump that's cool. I like that a lot. And of course people playing Metal Gear Solid are interested in Get Solid too, are going to want, you know, a spoiler free experience as much as they can probably, right, Like, giving people that choice is very cool. And so you still get your multiple named like kind of capsule reviews along with this. This is a huge amount of real estate. Obviously you've got so many screenshots. You've also got your strategy tips, which, like, I never need strategy tips in a review, right, Like I never am, Like, oh what I really love is that. But also a lot of the best reviews have them, and it just kind of shows a level of care. I think you know that. It shows the reviewer has played through the game and thought a lot about it and going oh, hey, by the way, you're probably gonna get stuck here. Make sure you do this right, like like trust yeah, between the reader and the crew. Absolutely, and so again, it just shows the reviewers played through this game, thought about this game, is thinking about the audience while playing the game, is thinking about the review didn't just play through it and they go, okay, cool, here are my thoughts. You know, it was created as you go, stop and get these screenshots. The screenshots are cool and relevant, not just ones that were like, you know, sent in so that and like this pull out here Solid Snake's Funniest home videos. Now, our studio audience will vote on which of the following scenes sent to us by people just like you and me, they'd like to see you win our ten thousand dollars fries. Will it be naked man in tunnel sent in by Scott Dolph of Treeport, Maryland and clapping? Why is this rain yellow? Sent in by terrorist Number seventy two from unknown? Or how about bird craps on super agent's face from d Snake. Aw this scene only available on at A your Solid two too hot for TV Snake Gone wild you So yeah, like just a lot of creativity and then also a lot of serious critique and content. Very cool, yeah, very cool. Now. In chat, Greg Sewart says he's pretty sure Mark McDonald wrote the main part of the review, which makes d Greg's also reached out on Discord and says he has a quick story about this review if we want to bring him on to the podcast as a oh well, heck, surprise, guys. I don't know how I can do that. Hold on, okay, okay, let's do guest. Yes, copy link here we go is live? Is incredible. Look at us live radio you've sent, We've said, stewing the link on Discord. Oh, hello, we have a surprise guest. Great. Hey, this is Greg Sewart e gm alum, who has a special story for us about this review. Greg, of course, was on staff with EGM at the time this was written. Thanks for joining us, Greg. Oh, I can't hear you.
Speaker 3: I'll on my microphone and that'll be easier.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I know you guys are running late and I don't want to take up too much of your time. I won't stick around for this whole thing, but I do have a story about this this review in particular.
Speaker 3: You had previously mentioned.
Speaker 4: How obviously there was a big rug pull with middle Gear Solid two and Konami had spent well over a year really promoting this game. For all we knew it was going to be Solid Snake doing his thing in his first PlayStation two game. So because of the secrecy around this, the people who reviewed this game, which I believe is Mark and I'm not sure who else it was, maybe Jonathan and Craig, they were actually Chay, I almost remembered it all. They were actually flown out to Konami to review this game. This game was not sent to two media outlets to review. They had to go review it basically in secret because of the big rug pull.
Speaker 3: They didn't want people. They didn't want that leaking.
Speaker 4: But the fun part for me about this is I was a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, could not wait for Metal Gear Solid two, so excited for it. Part of my job at the time working at this magazine was I was one of.
Speaker 3: The proofreaders for all the copies.
Speaker 4: So I shouldn't say that for the previews, I was the previews editor, but for reviews, I proofread all the copy before it went to I think Mark McDonald and then to Dan Schue and got approved. So I had to proofread this thing and I had the rug pull completely ruined for me before I ever got a chance to play the game. And I remember yelling at Mark across the office because he did write this where there's that big spoiler intro, and I was like, oh god, I don't know, you know, it can't be that bad, right this, It can't be that bad. And then you read it's like, oh yeah, you play ninety percent of the game, is this completely unknown character. It's just the entire point of the game. And it was completely ruined for me.
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh no, oh boy. The perils working in the game.
Speaker 3: That's right. See we bled for our art, that's all.
Speaker 1: I'm sabulous, Yes, yes, yes, amazing stuff. Getting flown out her review is still wild to me, Like I have to like fight with pr just to get a code.
Speaker 3: Oh we live in a much different time now.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure cool. Anyway, thank you so much. Yeah, I won't keep you guys having your feed. Like your perspective on this is so fabulous, So thanks, thanks.
Speaker 4: For sure, thanks for covering this issue. This is, like I mentioned, one of my favorite issues. I this is one of the best issues we ever produced during my time there.
Speaker 1: So it's awesome. We could spend four hours on this issue. It's it's wild. So thanks thanks for the working and everyone else they're doing all right. Thank you guys, Thank you, see ya all right. Wow, Stewie Gregs he's joining us for this. It's incredible. You know, the overlap. This is something that we've you know, treaded lightly from the beginning where we go, okay, well, like we're tagging some of these people who are involved on social media, like, oh man, how is it going to change our relationship to this stuff? You know. But hey, to have people who are literally involved in the publication of the thing that we're looking at and they're just as excited about it as we are, it's super super cool. Absolutely. Moving to the capsule reviews, mal You're Solid two received nine point fives across the board from Mark McDonald, Jonathan Dudlock, and j Chaw and a in viduals nine in sound and eight in ingenuity, which seems crazy to me, and then eight in replay. Ty, can you read the opening of Mark McDonald's Capsule review, who we now also know wrote the feature review. Yeah, and wow, I ate an ingenuity? Like what else do you want? I mean, I guess just because it's the sequel. But that's why the ice cubes melted? What crazy? You could shoot like a glass like a drink. Oh, and then the ice cubes would fall like fall out, like physics based, and then they would like slowly crazy stuff. I know there was like butt, there's naked butt in a video ingenuity, that's what ye. Despite what you might assume, this is not an easy game to review. The overall quality is unquestionably high, some of the best graphics on a home game, yet ridiculously detailed environments packed with secrets, tiny jokes and optional extras, replay bolstered by collectibles and harder difficulties and controls you can truly master. But the story, how can I put this? Sucks ass? Kochuma like is known for his absolutely like batshit stories right, and I think that most people would agree now that the increasingly absurd storyline in the Metal Gear Solid series went from like a strength where it felt unpredictable and like sort of like an espionage thriller undergirded by like science fiction e elements, comic bookie elements, and that all started to kind of like take over in later games. A Metal Gear Solid two was the first sign that, like, not all of Kojuma's risks were going to be popular. Then he kind of went back in Metal Gearsolo three was a little more traditional, and it's one of the best in the series because of that. But four five and the Phantom Pain and all that sort of sort of really doubled down on some of Kojuma's worst tendencies, and I think Ryding is maybe the first sign of those cracks starting to show. Yeah, and again I haven't played the series, but I remember a story going around about one of the sequels, was it five, where he decided he was he was going to go to the absolute mat for uh, perma death and not just perma death, but perma game over, like once you die, once the game is over and you can't play it anymore. Yeah, And he was like, no, I am going I can't play it anywhere your lines Yeah, yeah, like the game just like won't play anymore. And he like, no, I am going to the mat for this. This is going to be what this game is. You get one life and if you die, you die. And Kanami was like, we will not publish a game like and he's like, no, I really won't make the game unless you do that. And they were like, we really will not publish the game if you do that, and like I remember, hey, like that's a phenomenal thought exercise, right, that's a phenomenal thing to think about, Like how would you play, you know, if you were playing a survival horror type situation, you know, like if you're once I die, I really really die, I'm going to be as careful as I would be actually in real life, if dying means dying for real, for real. Yeah, and it is. It's interesting. But you can't spend like eighteen months or two years with a triple A budget on a game that people are going to spend fifty sixty seventy dollars for and then they play for two minutes and die and it's over. Like you can't you can't do that to people. Yeah, And I think what's interesting is that where sort of the prohibitive cost of video games sort of interferes with its ability to explore sort of the furthest reachis and what can make art interesting because like, you know, exploring human experience like that is compelling, but it's also like people aren't going to pay seventy dollars for that, you know, like when I play a lot of Magic Arena online and I'll do a draft and a draft costs me like ten bucks, and then I draft and I go ohn three and then the draft is over and I'm like, well that was ten dollars. I'm never getting back. I can't imagine doing that, you know, Like sometimes I'm just not paying attention and I, you know, walk off a cliff or whatever, spacey and so like. But that is interesting, It is interesting to put people in that situation, but you can't spend two hundred million dollars doing that. And so, like, you know, how do video games experiment outside of the commercial requirements of the medium That don't necessarily apply to music, don't necessarily apply to art, don't necessarily apply to writing. Because artists can paignt to picture right and it doesn't cost them anything other than supplies. They can write a story and experiment within a story. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell music you can write music and you can go bust on the street, you know, you get book a little bar shows. You know, there's always opportunity for that. But video games you just can't really do that. Yeah, well you can do that. But the commercial last week it's a game jam game. It can't be a tria a release. Yeah. Yes, that's a good point. And that's you know where you know Kojuma playing doing game jams man like that stuff would sing And there's that sort of anachronistic relationship between his big ideas and the commercial needs of video games. And I think it was really interesting and this review touches on that, you know, nicely. Mark McDonald wraps up his Capsure review saying this quote, it's infinitely more polished, more playable, more replayable, better looking, and just playing fun to run around and play than almost anything else out there. I didn't hesitate for one second when I finished it the first time, starting up another game immediately to hunt for the ton of stuff I knew I missed. Even as I write this, I can't wait to play it more. And I'm guessing that despite the gaping hole where the cool plot should be, you'll feel the same and I think what hurts is too was trying to make the plot cool, right, he was trying to, like any he just kind of went overboard. Ultimately, I think that's what makes his games compelling is that he takes these risks. They're weird, they don't always work, but few creators have that license to take those risks, even if he can't make you know, a perma death game the way you're describing. But and it's all worth it for the you know, flawed, rough brilliance that we get out out of his work. I think games and media and art is better for his presence, even when he makes bad choices. Yes, absolutely, what do you think Ty did EGM, Mark McDonald, Donathan Dudlick che Chaw? Did they do justice to medal Gear? Solidude? What are we giving this review? Yeah? And I want to be clear here right, like our access journalism here on this one, where we have a primary source joining the show mid stream, you know, not just in the live chat, but joins us us to actually talk about the actual production process of this and give us the insights and talk about how you know, Like that's really cool and like I also know everyone involved has grown ups. I know Stewie is not going to stop listening to the show or stop being in the discord if I slammed this, So I just want to be clear our journalistic integrity is intact here. I think this is as good a review of this game. I wish I'd played the game, because I'd feel better about giving it like boom, this is my review because I know exactly how well they did with this game. But to me, this is a ten out of ten. This is you know, we use like even in this magazine that is just absolutely jam packed with classics, legends, bangers. There's also a separate review section just for Sega right, tons of great previews as an almost two hundred and fifty page issue, and yet they dedicated four pages to this. They broke outler and unspoilered sections. We have multiple reviewers, so we get three perspectives and dealing with you know, here's all this stuff I think they're very clear about. Mark does a great job pointing out here the warts and flaws of this game. Here's all the incredible stuff. There's so many, like I said, great screenshots and and pullouts and strategy tips and just funny bits. We're just doing bits, you know, and I think you get a really great sense of the game, really great sense of the highs and lows, really great sense of the reason to play it, and a really good warning on Hey, here's what I don't like. I just think this touches all the bases. It looks great, and getting multiple perspectives that all agree, you know, they pretty much all degree and yeah. So yeah, for me, this is a ten, honestly, and I wish I play the game. I know stuff better. Uh that's ten rug pulls out of ten. Yeah, ten, ten rubber docues out of ten. Cool, Yeah, I mean agree with everything you say. I think this is a fabulous example of like early aughts games media that was pushing the idea of games criticism forward. I love the way that it is willing to engage with spoilers in the game at the expense of necessarily being like a buyer's guide. They have the capsule reviews. That's great, but I want to see more criticism of this. I love reviews that allow me to go back and read them after I've done the like experience the game, and engage with that review as a piece of criticism, which I think this does fabulously recognizing the game's flaws but also balancing that against its brilliant aspects, which metal Gear Solid two is an extremely brilliant game, and it's an extremely flawed game, and they've presented that here along with gorgeous screenshots like three pages with a big feature review, good capsule reviews like this is this is as good as it gets. I think this is a ten as well. Awesome. Yeah, ten ten rubber duckies out of ten. That is our review of e GM's review of metal Gear Soliditude. Did we get it right? Leave our review a review at Apple Podcasts, post it as a comment on YouTube. We will read the best ones on the air. Hey, go ahead and pass this show around to all your friends like it's third grade and we're on the playground. Shout us out on Blue Sky at funfactor pod dot com and everywhere else at fun Factor Pod Special thanks to Millennium Felt for all our amazing original music. Check out his work and its incredible Windows ninety five style website at Millennium A F A lck dot com. Unlike these old magazines, you won't have to wait a whole month for your next installment. We've dropped new episodes every two weeks. So go to Funfactor pod dot com, follow our show on your podcast your choice, and please insider becoming a member of fun Factor Ultra our premium tier, go on a every episodes bonus episode and the members only channels of our discord. Just go to Funfactor pod dot com and I promise you will not miss the sign up widget on our homepagage. If you do, you and we will have a maximum score in fun Factor. So, I guess you know what. Let's start with the cover. I will bring that open, chodh, where is my magazine?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Permissions? Can you guys see that? Yes? There we go. Okay, we have a big one and it's got a ton of stuff to do with. I'm sorry, yes, if you're not paying for ad free episodes. Oh dear, okay, so I've got issue Aiden Moher's recording failed. Aiden dropped. Okay, Aiden dropped? Okay? Uh yeah, it told me you dropped? Sorry? Can you hear me? Now? I can hear you. I can see you and you can see me. Yes, there's a it's still showing a gray box of old you though. Oh okay, So I don't know if you I might think ghost You is still in if you if you left? Did you leave and come back? No, it kicked me out. I said something else was using my camera. There you go, ghost You is gone? Okay, it's this one for the game. Yeah, well, I said, hey, let's make some b roll chat like what are we up to?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 1: Tell last mission? Okay, the Unholy Trinity? Is that what we're looking at? Atari twenty six hundred style horror game is a sick concept because every Atari twenty six hundred style game is a horror game. If you try and play it, that's cool. Okay. No, I believe Daves' is like it's a great game. Like, No, I believe it's a great o. It looks cool. Yeah, it looks looks very cool. Okay, let's let's get back to the A roll.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I kind of lost my train of thought here. Yeah, I was wondering. Hear like, you look like you were trying to look something up. Yeah, okay, Tie is frozen okay, uh oh just oh oh boy, Ty just uh today was just not meant to be guys. Ty just messaged me on discord to say his power just went out, which is that? Okay, I guess we just weren't meant to record today. Uh Ty says, it's back up. But some good news. We're making b roll. Uh See right now I'm looking at Chat green Chat. Can't see my eyes look it but bow. But I bought, I splurged. I had some writy money come in and I bought a prompter, and so I'm going to set that up and look at when I read Chat, it's going to be like this. See you guys, whoa, whoa. When I read my script, wow like that, it's going to be pretty good. But we've had a bunch of flooding here in Michigan. There's some some dams we're on. Oh god, what if this damn fails? Watch over the last few weeks making national news. Yeah, last night they've said our power company said, hey, yeah, we're going to be like cycling some people off and on as we do stuff to try and rebalance some load and whatever to make sure that like flooded areas are you know, supported or whatever. Last night this happened. They flicked our power like three or four times. And my youngest is running sound for their high school is doing Mister Burns, which is a post apocalyptic play up a theater troop that re enacts Simpsons episodes, right a post electric play, says Drew Bie immediately. Yes, okay, so the power also went out at the high school, so they're doing this post apocalyptic and then like boom, power goes out, right, so amazing, that's amazing. And yeah, so the same thing just happened. Now they flicked our power like three times, so like down for a few seconds each time, which then made it take that much longer for my router to come back up and everything else. So anyway, hello, I'm back. Hello, And now we're like an hour into recording and have done. Like I was saying, as you're gone, this is the most cursed recording. Uh we've done. It's not meant to be, but we're gonna power through. Page ninety six has a preview of a game called a Cira Psycho Ball. Okay, sorry I was then I just want you're still stuck together. There's some tweaks I think visible there too. Yeah, oh good lord, yeah, so yeah, I mean if we want to stick the phone, no no, no, no, no, that's okay. We've got a lot to get. Where's a curious cycle ball? Okay, there as promised, we always review the best, funniest, kindest, and most entertaining. Hold on a minute, I'm gonna stop sharing. Wow, we do this, and then can we get back to just the two of us. I'll like edit around all Yeah, that's fair, because I got just raw video with so it's not all right, we've got mail, all right, well we I'm sorry that I started to read the Return from Break. Yeah, okay, O good Platinum, gold, and silver awards are given out. Rah, We're gonna I want to read all of that stuff at once, So let's wait until Okay, we do the stewy stuff and then I can patch them in like it's a codec on the video. Okay, that'll be fun. I also don't this is Algreaty gone way way past our recording window, and so I don't want it to be too much longer. But yeah, we're pretty that Mark McDonald like capsture review stuff is